Speaker 1: Football Fever with News Talks nb's voice of Football Jason Paine and Bonny Jansen. Hello there and welcome into Football Fever. It is your podcast for all things New Zealand football, both here in O Theodora and overseas as well. Lots to talk about, a heap to talk about. We've held off until today to record because we wanted to get the all white squad confirmed so that we could also add that in. I'm Jason Pine. Bonnie chances here too.
Speaker 2: Hello Bonnie, Hello pineyy. What a weekend? No, what a weekend?
Speaker 1: Incredible? In fact, let's start there. Let's start with the first ever Kiwee Darby and the A League Men's Saturday at sky Stadium, Wellington Phoenix nil Auckland FC two. Auckland FC become just the second side to start life with three straight wins and the A League Men's Gold Coast to that in two thousand and nine ten and just the second side to start life with three straight clean sheets Adelaide United did that in two thousand and two thousand and six. Do you think Auckland f C deserved to win the game.
Speaker 2: I mean yes, they were clinical when they needed to be, but it could have gone either way, and I think a draw would have probably been a fairer result.
Speaker 1: I was thinking about this on Monday, and I think all three results would have been okay. You know, I don't think you look back if the Phoenix had won the game, if it had been a drawer, or as it turned out, Auckland f C winning I don't think any of those results would have been an unfair result given the way the ninety seven minutes played. You're right, Auckland just took their chances right at the end, the first of which was presented to them, which we can talk about in just a second. But at the end of the day, they won the football match. And if the A League, the history of the A League has told us anything, it's often just the fact that you just got to win these games. And like I say, they've won three in a row, haven't let a goal in top of the league. What a start.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and I agree that, you know, either any of those results would have been unreal. I picked Auckland to win it, you know, before the match, but as the game went on, I thought the Phoenix had surprised me how competitive they had come out and towards the end of the game. Before Auckland scored, I was hoping it would end in a drawer. I think, considering how cagy the game was and the chances were coming at both ends, it would have been nice to see it nil all and it comes up to Auckland and we go again. So now that Auckland did get the win, I'm hoping, you know, in less than a month it's the phoenix. Then now go one up. But yeah, as you say, the fact that Auckland have taken their chances, it's like three games of jammy goals and have just made the most of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want to draw down with that in just a seconds. Well, but interesting what you said there. I thought well Inton came out with so much more fizz then certainly they did in their first game against Western United and even against Perth. I thought it clearly the Derby had lit something up under them and they came out for zinks. So did Auckland. I think on the whole, Auckland kind of had control of the game for large parts through the way they played, the way they pressed out of possession. But I think Wellington probably had the better chances. Costa had a really, really good chance in the first half. A Shiga had that header in the second which I think if he had his time again, he wouldn't stoop down to head because he headed it straight to the ground and up over the crossbar. I think he'd probably use one of his feet to try and divert that towards the goal. Apart from the goals that Auckland FC scored, I think Liam Gillian had a couple of opportunities which were reasonably easily dealt with. You know that it's not as though they've had a hugely effective cutting edge across the first three games, but they've found a way. They've found a way.
Speaker 2: I think that was Auckland's hardest game, and obviously the occasion would have played into that. But I think the Phoenix certainly, as you say, gave them a run and had plenty of chances where they could have taken the lead and changed the game completely. So yes, Auckland came out on top, but I think it's fair to say they were lucky and they were handed that goal and then that obviously you know, changed a bit. But it certainly creates a great narrative heading up to Auckland.
Speaker 1: Absolutely it does, and I think of the things that have come out of this is the Darby has already become appointment viewing. It's already this marquee fixture that people can't wait for the next one. And I think it's really cool that the next one isn't there far away. That game in Auckland is going to be an absolute belter in early December. It'll completely sell out. There's no problem with that. But just back to this one. Jake Brimmer off the bench got both of the goals. I spoke to Jake Brimmer on the radio the day after and interesting he said he was watching from the sideline and taking it all in and he just noticed that the way Wellington played out from the back might open something up for him. And so you know the way he capitalized and what was a mistake a real howl, a really from Josh all Away, Yemmy, is something that was premeditated. He knew that if he just was there or thereabouts, he was willing to take the risk of being passed through and leaving gaps behind him. And it paid off and it was actually I watched it a lot of times. He's still going to get a ball in the net and it's a really nice little finish.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so clever from Jake Brimmer, and it's so smart that he was watching that play from the sidelines before he came on. I even noticed how the Phoenix were kind of cutting it close for much of that game, playing out of the back, and also in their previous games. It's obviously something chief he is trying to, you know, implant on them, and they're pulling it off for the most part. But it will catch them out and if the Phoenix can take anything away from it, they'll learn from it, you know. But what I loved seeing on Twitter afterwards was Alex Paulson was meant to be the villain of the day, but it ended up being Josh all Away Me and I felt quite bad for the guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I I just want to mention as well that he and I said this on the radio two during the weekend. I think I tweeted it as well. After the game, players stay out to sign autographs and you know, the home team, and he stayed out and signed every autograph, he posted, every selfie. He was chatting. He must have been mortified inside. I'd be out of there, I'd be under the stands and just hiding away. And I've seen players, you know, go under the stand for far, you know, less high profile things than that. They've just gone under and haven't met the fans. He stayed out till the very end. I thought that was really classy. He must have inside been thinking, oh what have I done here? But they'll wrap support around him. And there was Phoenix media today and Isaac Hughes said, chiefly's reaction to what happened was we are doubling down. Now. We're not going to stop playing this way. We're going to continue to play this way. So you know, you can't just bin something because one mistake happens and it costs a goal. And look, if a midfield or a striker gives the ball away doesn't usually mean anything. When you're a keeper that you know, the circumstances and the and the outcome consequences can be far worse than it just proved to be the case. But you know, Jake Brimmer was there and then was there for the second goal as well. Lewis Toomey. Louis Toomey rather came off the bench set up the second m too. Nell take the points.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was pretty classy from Louis and his A League debut and a great run up that left hand side and super stoked from him. He obviously comes out of Eastern Suburbs as most recent clubs, so yeah, really really impressed. He's been kind of ridden with injuries the last few years and obviously was late to start the season, but yeah, there's something special in him.
Speaker 1: Yep. Nada Moreno also saw him for the first time. What do you predict for I don't know whether we saw enough of him, but he is one of the imports and we've set off and on the podcast. You have to really be a starting player, otherwise why are you there? I haven't seen I didn't see quite enough of Nada Moreno, but hell of us work cut out to make the site the starting side of the likes of Gillian and Rogerson.
Speaker 2: Oh, he definitely will, and I don't think Steve Corica will necessarily hand it to him, even though there's that whole kind of stigma. You have to play the imports. You can see what Steve did with with Jake Brimmer. Obviously he was carrying an injury two weeks ago. Put in Cam Howison, who had a great game and then started Cam again just this weekend against the Phoenix, so the same thing might be for Merino. He's got a tough, tough work to come in over someone like Logan Rogerson or Liam Gillian who obviously has just been named in the All Whites, which will get too soon. But yeah, it's going to be interesting what he does up there. But great to have options, isn't it.
Speaker 1: It's always good to have options. And you look at some there are some very good players not getting a game. You know, that's the first time we've seen Louis Toomey. We haven't seen Ellen Elliott at all. We haven't seen Scott Galloway at all, and others you know, who are all pushing for places now. They all want to play. But yeah, it's some it's the sign of the depth that they have built. Their back line is already becoming really good. I just look at you know, Sarki Hall, Pineker Devrees. They're all physical specimens. They're quick there, they're combative, and then even if you get past them, you've got Alex Paulson to get past. Already they look good at the back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's kind of giving vibes from last season where the Phoenix back line was just so strong and they were so solid and that's what got them through the league as well as they did. And you know, even if they're not clinical up the top Auckland, they kind of have been in big moments so far. But they're obviously going to need to improve that. But they've, Yeah, they've kind of got some things covered with that strength of that back line and Paulson, as you.
Speaker 1: Say, just on the Phoenix. Marco Rojas his first appearance of the season as well, hopefully the first of many for Marco Rojas, first Phoenix game for over five thousand days since he left the club after his first couple of seasons. Great to see Marco Rojas back out there. There was some conjecture around Alex Rufer. On the Thursday before the game was he was listed as being injured and wouldn't play a part. The very next day, he took part in a captain's press conference with Hiroki Sakai, which kind of raised a few eyebrows. If he wasn't going to play, why was he fronting the captain's press conference? And then love and Behold, he passes a fitness test on the Saturday morning and plays the entire game. I think one of the best players out there. I've heard suggestions that was that he wasn't injured at all. This was mine games.
Speaker 2: Oh, definitely premeditated. As soon as I saw that announcement coming, I laughed out loud and I was like, this is pretty good from the Phoenix because, as you say, Alex Rufer was so big in that game, and he's been so big for the Phoenix for a while now, and Steve Corriker definitely would have kind of made changes around that player. So to announce in what nine minutes before the game was pretty good from the Phoenix. Obviously didn't pull it off, but I don't mind it.
Speaker 1: So you reckon he was he was never injured.
Speaker 2: Oh maybe he had a niggle, but I reckon, you know, to rule him out was a bit extreme. I didn't know. Interestingly, how do you rule someone out and then they all of a sudden pass it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's allowed. It's not as though you have to stick to the team that you submit. But yeah, So basically, what you're suggesting is that there was never any doubt that he was going to play, but it was It was a it was a mind game. By Wellington to say hey, Rufe is not playing, just so Auckland f C would say, Okay, Ruf is not playing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, otherwise it's a big it's a big screw up from the medical team, you know, in the first place they could have been, they could have set up differently. But yeah, I think it was absolutely premeditated.
Speaker 1: All right, Interesting, Well, it's yeah, Rufa did play game one hundred and fifty, so joins a select group of six players who have played one hundred and fifty games for Wellington Phoenix. Congratulations to him. The crowd twenty six two five to absolutely magnificent, best regular season crowd for a Wellington Phoenix home game, you know, huge, huge numbers through the gates. I thought though the traveling port fans were magnificent as well. I thought they made noise, they marched from their pregame bar, they added to the the you know, the vibe of the occasion. Clearly afterwards they were just absolutely delighted because their team had won. But to see traveling fans at a Phoenix game and to see twenty six thousand turnout for two New Zealand teams to play game of football, I honestly I never thought I'd see the day.
Speaker 2: It's amazing how this crowd has been so quickly manufactured. I guess over over the last what month, I mean a year, I guess since Auckland FC got announced. But a rivalry is usually something right that would build through through the play on the pitch and over years. Something like that takes years. And you can't really name another professional sports team in New Zealand or teams that have a same rival rivalry what the Hurricanes and the Blues, I don't think so. The only other lever I could probably think of is domestic you know, amateur amateur sport where it's it's club base and that you know, the community come out. That's probably the only the closest we've got to rivalry, but nothing professionally, so it's it's just amazing and I'm honestly not surprised. The football fans are a different breed, you know. And I was talking to someone from the port recently and asked, why what is it with football fans? Why are they different? And he said, we're not like rugby fans because you wait so long for a goal and football and when that moment comes, it's just you know, absolute satisfaction and you're just over the moon and it's just this unmatched feeling. So yeah, I thought that was pretty cool. But it was amazing to watch on TV.
Speaker 1: Yeah, great description of it, and they have to wait eighty nine minutes, so the explosion of joy was going to be even more and then the second goal obviously was just the cherry on top. I must say I absolutely loved the billboard afterwards. As everybody was leaving, Go Media are a sponsor of Auckland FC, so they've got their digital billboards and there's one that goes across the it's like an overbridge that leads across to sky Stadium, and as everybody was leaving, they'd put up a billboard. I know a lot of people have seen this, but it said welcome to Ellington, we took the w back to Auckland. I just thought that was brilliant heat. I loved it, loved it.
Speaker 2: It's so good. It's so good, and I mean, we know what Auckland have done with their marketing all season long, and they've absolutely nailed it and that's half the reason they've got the fan base that they've got. So so good on them. I will just say, going back Piney to being a fan, and we spoke last week about how it's hard to choose from you know who to support from pre existing fans, and I felt watching it on on the TV, I was naturally going to support the Phoenix just because they were the team in yellow and that's the team I've supported from the get go, and I don't support any other team than the yellow team. And so I had to keep tricking my brain watching this. Every time there was a run against the Phoenix, I was going no, no, no, and then I was going, oh, wait, it's okay, maybe Auckland score like it was. Yeah, it was a real mind games.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I understand. I understand. That was a terrific occasion. The next one, as I say, Mount Smart December seventh, going to be huge. Before that, actually AUKANDFC don't have a game for a while. I've got to buy this weekend, then the international break, they play against MacArthur U Nite Round in Sydney on November twenty fourth, back home against Newcastle November thirty, and then that derby against the Phoenix Mount Smart December the seventh. The Phoenix play the marin Is away this weekend that's Sunday at six, then the international break, then they have Melbourne victory during U Nite rounds, then the derby and then back home. They're not back home until the fourteenth of December, so quite a long time before either Auckland FC and Wellington Phoenix are back at their respective home grounds. However, they have provided us with a terrific launching pad for what will be a long long standing football rivalry. Football Fever with Jason Vine and Bonnie Jensen alegu women. Wellington Phoenix Women had their first game this weekend. It was on Friday Night. Three debutants and they're starting eleven against Western United Carolina Vilau, Miya McCutcheon and Macbay Tanaka. Three of the imports scored in the first feed and fifteen minutes are but then let four in the in a twenty minute period before halftime due to some absolutely appalling defending, which Paul Temple afterwards was at a complete loss to explain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, it's quite an ironic that they're going to be naming a signing today with as a defender, because yeah, it was. It was horrific defending, as you say, and defending you wouldn't expect from someone like Mackenzie Barry and Rebecca Lakes are really really disappointing. I was, however, not so mad with the performance as a whole. I was, you know, probably expecting maybe a worse performance. The Phoenix Women have kind of flown under the radar this season so far or in the build up to the season, sadly because of this derby and things like that. But Western United are a good side, and they definitely were going to have a tough game regardless. But yet, you know, you look at the stats and they kind of held their own in scoring two goals on the night. Isn't too bad?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I agree. They actually had more shots than Western United and had sixty percent possession, So that doesn't talk to a game that they were completely outplayed in it. It was just that inexplicable twenty minutes where for whatever reason, you know, high quality players just completely forgot how to offend. It was just I was watching it thinking, what is happening here? You know, and you're right, like high quality players, I Kenzie Barry got taken off at half time. That never happens. Tiana Jaber got taken off at halftime as well as Tanaka, so a triple change at half time when you're four one down. I guess Paul Temple thought to himself, I got to do something. Bought Lara wall On. I thought she was good on debut, Zoey mcmeekon and Daisy Brazendale. Maya McCutcheon dropped back into the middle of the back four. I think she's a good acquisition alongside Rebecca Lake. It was much improved second half. But yeah, you mentioned the new signing. Look, I think we can we can probably say the new signing's name. By the time most people listen to this, the embargo will have dropped a Canadian born Algerian international, Emma Chabell. She is a defender left sided, could debut on Sunday, so they've got a bit of extra defense of reinforcement coming in. I wonder whether they might go with the old back three. Maybe it's a Bowie Lake Chabelle situation on Sunday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely could be. There's obviously got to be some work there. And I don't mind that that Temps pulled off Mackenzie Barry and you know Mac as a player that would know she screwed up and she'll learn from that. It's the first game, not a bad time to have that twenty minute lapse. It's obviously not ideal, but could could definitely be worse. And as we say, it was promising that they were good in other areas of the park and in the game. But yes, there's differitely options there. It's a younger and experienced team this season, so I'm a little bit, you know, not sure how they'll go. Someone who also impressed me was a listen win them. I'm really excited for her this season. She obviously had her breakout season a couple of years ago. Last year didn't get too much game time, but I dub mainly because Macy Fraser was kind of playing a similar style, a similar position. But she's come out this season. She got her start and I think she's going to be key for the next YEP this year.
Speaker 1: I agree. Emma Main got a goal penalty. Good to see her off the mark. It's always nice for a striker to get off the mark nice and early. She has six Wellington Phoenix goals now, same number as Grace Jarley, only Muddy unaspect Myra ahead of them with her ten goals from last season, so Emma Main up and running. First home game. Next up for Wellington Phoenix. They host Canberra Pottydoor Park on Sunday at four o'clock. Very much looking forward to this because as we know, last year one of the Phoenix were way better at home that they ever were away. Canberra started with a three two win over Brisbane Raw. But yeah, I think the Phoenix will back themselves, you know, to eliminate the you know, as I said before, the inexplicable defending that happened in that twenty minutes. They'll work hard on that this week and I think be a lot better for it and hopefully put on a much better showing when Canberra turned up on Sunday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it'll be their real test and they'll learn from it, you know, as the Phoenix men would have with that laps at the back. And it's probably the best thing that happened early on in the season.
Speaker 1: And it wasn't as though the Phoenix were the only team that can see goals over the weekend. There were thirty one goals across the six games, so it was five per game. I think it's actually a record across it's either a record across an entire Women's A League round or a first round anyway. Thirty one goals across the six games, so plenty for the spectators to enjoy. Not a good look though, is it not so much for the goalkeepers? Hando's in charge of defending. But it wasn't as though it was. It was only only the Phoenix who were poor defensively. Actually, just while we're on the A League Women's Devin Jackson a goal on debut for Newcastle Only there are two two draw with Western Sydney, so she's up and running for the new season.
Speaker 2: Yes, she started for Newcastle, which I think that team is probably a better fit for her where she's come from Canberra last season. And she scored a nice heater off a corner. And then also great to see Kelly Brown as well, who's left the Phoenix She's headed to per Glory. She also scored in her opening game, a worldie as you call it, from way outside the box against Melbourne City.
Speaker 1: Yep, it was good to see Kelly Brown on the score yet they lost unfortunately five to two, but yeah, good to see her open her account for her new side Perth Glory and what is now the Ninja A League We've got to call it the Ninja A League, its new sponsor. We look forward to seeing Wellington Phoenix take on Canberra on Sunday afternoon four o'clock. This is foot. Let's go to the all white twenty four man squad name for upcoming FIFA World Cup qualifiers. Friday November fifteenth, they played Vanawatu at Whitecatle Stadium seven thirty and then on the Monday that follows SUMMOA at go Media Stadium in Auckland, also seven thirty kickoff twenty four man squad, which is I mean they're not going to need twenty four to beat these two teams, but great have twenty four of them together. Joe Bell, Callum Macowitt, Sarprech Singh and Finn Sermon are all back. Francis Devrees gets a recall having last played in June of twenty twenty two, and you picked at Bonnie Liam gilly And gets a maiden call up.
Speaker 2: Oh, he absolutely deserves it. I think he's bided his time, you know, playing at the club level for Auckland City or lay Olay before that and then played for Auckland City, got his call up to Auckland FC. Could have gone down to the Phoenix where his brother was, but decided to stay in Auckland. And he's just excelled for AFC so far in the A League. As we mentioned, you know, he's all but cemented that spot on the wing. So yeah, I think he's absolutely deserving of that call up.
Speaker 1: I think when ben Old's fit, maybe he takes Liam Gillion's place. That's not you know, that's not nothing against Liam Gillion. He's been playing well, but I think if ben Old was fit, he would probably take that spot. Having said that, Liam Gillions made every post winner in the A League. He's keeping you know, keeping other I guess on the face of it, more highly credential players out of the team. So yeah, he gets a chance to impress Darren Beazlen in all Whites camp.
Speaker 2: You know, I actually think if ben Old comes back, he takes over from Logan Rogerson and I think, you know, going back to Auckland f C, I think right now the better of the wingers is Liam over Logan. That could obviously change, and Liam's yet to be on the score sheet for Auckland, but in terms of his performance, I think he's yeah, definitely a standout.
Speaker 1: Not for a lack of trying it the crossbutony against against Sidney FC Liam Gillian and had a couple of chances against Phoenix On the weekend, Cam Howison and Sam Sutton drop out from the last squad. I guess it's just an indication of I mean, because both good players, of how much talent there is now for Darren Baizley to choose from. And I was just trying to find out during the week where the World Cup squads are twenty three as they always have been, or if they've been extended to twenty six. At the World Cup in Kuta, they were twenty six man squads because it happened in and around Covid and it was in season for the European leagues. Remember it was November December. Whether they go back to twenty three for the twenty twenty six World Cup, I haven't been able to absolutely confirm. But if it's twenty three or even if it's twenty six, there are some stiff competition for places.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's so stiff And wouldn't it depend on how big the sizes? I guess with the draw because there's obviously more teams going to the World Cup, which means that there would be another round, potentially like a round of sixteen, a round of thirty six.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, thirty two yeah yeah, no you're.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So they had have an extra game, meaning that they probably would need bigger squads. Who knows, but yeah, it's It's also going to be key for Baisley to lock down what is structure is going to be, whether they're playing a back three, diamond midfield, you know, a four four two, what personnel are going to fit, you know, whatever style of football they want to play. So that's going to be really interesting over the next eighteen months as they build towards that World Cup.
Speaker 1: From what I understand, the team as a collective have basically indicated their desire to to say, okay, tell us what the formation is and we'll stick to that regardless of who the opposition are. Whereas you know, in an A league situation, sometimes you might tinker with a back three, in a back you know, three center backs with wing backs, or a flat back four, depending on who you're playing against. As I understand it, the all Whites players have said, hey, we like a back four, let's stick with that regardless of who we play against. It doesn't matter against fun who are to in some more. You know, they could play anything really and without without wanting to disrespect the island nations too much. New Zealand will win these games utterly, comfortably. But once you get into the World Cup cycle, you know, if and when they do qualify and they're playing again aainst other teams in the warm up to the World Cup. I mean, I like the back four. You know, it's Libby on the left, probably Tim Payin on the right. Then there's some you know, some decisions to be made at center back. But I like the back four, and I think the players do too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I quite like the back four. From my history working with Darren Baizley, he you know, was a former director of football at Eastern Suburbs, I know that he quite likes the back three. And with you know, the amount of center backs that they've got coming up coming through the ranks, you know, maybe a back three would make sense. But I like the idea of picking one and sticking to it. You know, the national teams have such limited time together that there's no point shopping and changing and learning two formations and what works best. I kind of like that motive from the players. Let stick with it. I do wonder do you reckon Tim Payne? This is maybe a conversation for another day. Do you reckon it's still be good an eighteen months time?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah, absolutely? Yeah. Yeah. He takes pretty good care of himself. He's not an old guy. He's been around for a while. I think it'd only be thirty thirty one, So yeah, I think he's sorry, Tim, Yeah, did you think he was thirty seven or thirty eight or something? Oh?
Speaker 2: I did't. I just feel like he's there's probably maybe a junior player like Sam Sutton or something coming through.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I mean again those saying I mean he's left left side. It doesn't need The other thing about Tim payin is that who is the next best right back? You know, you look at the squad and you think, okay, if it's not Tim Payne, who does play right back for this team? Does Tyler Binden go out and play there, for example, or do you look at at a at a left sided player to go and play on the right. I don't know, because it's the one position I think in the All Whites where there really isn't a lot of depth. Oh Storm Roos the other one of course Storm Roos and the squad, so he's probably your man. But but it's it's a position that you know, we're not overflowing on the left side behind Libby. You see Francis Devreeze is in this team. Sam Sutton's dropped out, You've got Lucas, Kelly hil who's played there, James mcgowry. There's a lot of left sided fullbacks to back up Libby Cacacci, not so many on the right.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe that's the on the other because we know Libby's capabilities, you move him to the right hand side and then you make way for someone like Francis Derees or James McGarry, as you say. But yeah, very interesting, and Bays, I'm sure is very pleased with the plenty of options he's got. I wouldn't rule out someone like Cam Howison. I think he's been pretty good these last two games for Auckland, and you know he'll be hungry to push his case in the next next year or so.
Speaker 1: I just think with him, I think Rufe has just gone past him, and I think Alex Rufer's trajectory and look, I agree, I think Cam's been good I've always liked him as a player domestically, he's been excellent for a long time. Chance to play pro terrific. I just think Rufer has just someone even suggested to me the other day that Alex Rufer is now on a par with Joe Bell in this team, that in the starting eleven, Joe Bell's got some real competition in that number six spot from Alex Rufer. And look, every time Rufer plays, you think he's been come this player, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think rufaz is arrogance about him, probably which played into the decision, you know, to name him out and then and on the weekend. But he's got this arrogance and confidence and seeing him through the years, he's carried with it, and I think it's finally, you know, he's found a way to make it work for him and he's he's impressed me. You know, last year I wasn't much of a fan at the start of last season, but yeah, he's he's definitely earned his place. But so many midfielders like Marco Staminich, sa Prich, you know, it's just it's just insane what depth they've got in the midfield.
Speaker 1: Yeah, with Sarpre like he is ready the only guy who can play in that ten role in this team. They've given Garba to go there, He's not ready a ten. He's not a ten, neither a Starminich, neither is anybody else on this team. So if they are going to play a diamond for example, with let's say Bell, Starminich, Garbet and then a ten, who'll be seeing that Sing's the only guy who can play there in this team. For me, I don't think there's anybody else who has the same range of skills as sarpri The next closest, I think is Marco Rojas, and he's obviously nowhere close to it at the moment. But so sorry, Bonnie, if're if you're gonna stick with the same formation, and because Sarprek has been so in and out with injury, I wonder where he's Okay, we're not going to play the diamonds, We're going to play a four three three, and so Sarprek, you're you're battling away, you know, for one of those front three spots with Chris Wood plus two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well that's why I kind of go back to Can because he has been playing the ten right for AFC so he would probably be the next one to come in there. Yes, typically he plays a bit more defensively in the midfield, but I feel like he is quite flexible. But as you say, it's just going to depend on on what structure they want to play, you know, do you take another midfielder over a winger or things like that. So definitely a big headache for Darren Basley.
Speaker 1: Just before we left the All Whites. What what do you want to see in these two games score line wise?
Speaker 2: Oh, dominance? I say every time, they need to be clinical. We need to be better at giveing chriss Wood, you know, nice balls and he's been so good, which we'll get to but he's he's a Premier League goal scorer, Premier League top goal scorer, and we need to be far more clinical at the top of the park. And there's no reason why we we can't do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree. I think you need to win these games and win them well just just dominate, you know, be the big fish and Oceania. As I've said before, you know, get these games that being played at home for miliar conditions for New Zealanders, good surfaces in Hamilton and it go media. Yeah, I want to see them. I want to see them dominate and win both games. Well, Football Fever just before we go, keep's playing overseas. We mentioned Kelly Brown and Devin Jackson earlier, but other football ferns playing around the world. Bonnie.
Speaker 2: Yeah. A couple more scoring big, big goals over the weekend. Mickey Foster scored her first goal for Durham in a three to win over Blackburn and Katie Kitchenk scored two goals for Sunderland in their four to three win over Bristol City in the Championship. So great to see those two, adding to Kelly and Devon. Also, Millie Kleig finally made her NWSL debut for Racing Louisville. She came off the bench in the seventy second minute of their very last game. They didn't make the playoffs. Sadly they played San Diego Wave in that that was a must win. But she became the youngest non US player to get minutes in the NWSL this year, and she obviously joined fellow KIWI teammate Abby Ersig who's played every single minute of the season for Racing. Abby u Sig was one of the iron women. I think one of six players to play every single minute, so pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Has she absolutely retired from international football? ABBYU sig like, depending on who the new Football Firns coaches, could she play again?
Speaker 2: I reckon she would depending on who it is, But yeah, I don't think she would be she It wouldn't be easy for her to come back. She's got a pretty good thing going over there, but who knows. I'd love to see her back, but I don't know if she'd have much more in her for another whole cycle, so would it be worth it. She's obviously a great player. I'm gutted she wasn't at the World Cup last year, but that's another story for another day.
Speaker 1: But she keeps herself so physically fit, doesn't she. I mean, she's she's an absolute weapon.
Speaker 2: Oh she's an athlete and you know, as we just mentioned, she's played every single minute for Racing. I think, yeah, she's she might be the skipper of that team and she's been so key for them, and I think she's just such a you know, a big player that we miss in the in the scene. I think she would have been great to captain or co captain the Ferns over the last year when all of this stuff, you know, everything unfolded, a really big presence on and off the field. So yeah, I mean, maybe maybe she's got another cycle in her and maybe I'll give her a call. I'll try to reach out.
Speaker 1: Go on, then go on, then do that, leave it and see if we can find out what her situation is, because yeah, we don't know when the new Ferns coach is going to be named. Maybe Abby has left the door open depending on who that is. We'll wait and see as far as the men are concerned. Another goal for Chris Wood. As you mentioned before, he's just on fire. The first and a three mil win over west Ham eight in the Premier League season. Now only Earling Harland has more with eleven. This is incredible. Chris Wood also has eight goals in his last eight games for club and country, scored in both of the All Whites most recent matches and just absolutely just representing us so well in the Premier League. Not Eingham Forest fans absolutely love Chris Wood, which is great. Tyler Bindon, still only nineteen years old, captained Reading in their FA Cup first round match against Fleetwood and scored the opening goal in a two nil win. They'll play Harborer in the second round. Tyler bind and a guy with a big future for club and country. And Ben Way got another goal scored for Mansfield Town and their FA Cup first round match a four nill win over Curzon Ashton, who will freely admit I had never heard of. They play in National League North, which is the sixth tier of English football. Mansfield three to the second round where they will play Stevenage. All right, Bonnie, that is us for another edition of Football Fever. We've got the Wellington Phoenix men and women to look forward to on Sunday, so we can review those on Monday. Nothing for Auckland f So what do the Auckland f C boys do during their downtime? Are they outsort of you know, drinking lattes on Ponsonby Road or what are they doing?
Speaker 2: I'm not sure what they're doing. Maybe when I hit the town on Saturday night I might run into a few of them, but no, I think Steve Corricker is absolutely gutted that you know they have this break now, because I remember him saying if we go and get three from three, we want to keep going. We want to keep riding off this momentum, so they'll have to sit patiently, sit tight, and hopefully they come back with the same, if not even more energy in a few weeks.
Speaker 1: I'm sure they will. We're back with another episode of Football Fever on Monday with Pony and Bonny.