Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talk sat B. Follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: You want to take another pair? Now? That's right, Treck, it is out. The test is over, but this smoke wow was a bet. It is out and here you guys. This delivery has in the US as.
Speaker 1: Befow on the Front Foot with Brian Waddell and Jeremy Cody, powered by News Talk sead B at iHeart Radio.
Speaker 2: Hello on the Front putback with you once again. The Champions Trophy alluded to black Caps, but there was plenty to celebrate from their performance in Pakistan, both at the Champions Trophy and in the warm up series. An Odi tween sweet for the White Fins despite injury issues in the camp. This is the long period of preparation starting to pay off for our player. Or is it too soon to celebrate? Central District Skipper displays his class with the third highest score in our domestic game. Why does he not get more national recognition? And Hot news of press, Michael Brocefoot is going to captain the black Caps in the T twitty series against Pakistan starting this coming weekend. Hello once more to Jeremy Coney clearly happening in the cricket world all around the black Cats pretty much.
Speaker 3: Jerry hid when you're up to date at least, I don't know for me down here, but yep, I've I've got a little show to do on Friday. We're going to inflict some of the Pricton patrons again to the music of me and my cousins. So that's that's quite a sad thing to say, but never mind, we'll get through it.
Speaker 2: Goodness. So they that old down there.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, mate, they wheel them in. Yeah, and you know, I know quite a lot of them personally.
Speaker 2: That's good. Yeah, Well, let's get down to pick them for that on this coming Friday. But let's gelibrate a champions trophy. And we'll hear Jerry's point of view in just a moment. I think they're always going to be outside us to win the final, but they had moments when it became a real chance that we could win the one million US dollars that was at stake for second place, let alone the two million for first place. A chance to discuss those high points in the moment. Firstly, though, a final assessment from the skipper.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I guess it's kind of a bit a sweet at the end. You know, I think we came up against the good side in the final, but yeah, I think, you know, we challenged in there at times throughout this game, which was which was pleasing. I think there was probably a couple of small moments where we let it I guess get away from us. But yeah, credit for incredibly proud of this group the way we've kind of gone about it throughout this tournament. You know, we've had a mix of kind of experienced players but a few younger players in the squad. So yes, it's it's been. It's been, I guess an easy one to captain, different guys stepping up at different times throughout the tournament, which has been outstanding. And we came up against a very good team today. You know, we're in the game for most of it, but it was kind of we probably left maybe twenty runs out there with the bat and then I think way kind of wrote Shama played kind of took it away from us a little bit. I think there's probably a little bit more turned second innings. I think, you know, it was a pretty consistent pitch all the way through. I think, you know, I guess coming off the semi final where we feel like we can if we get a total, we can squeeze teams, and we did that for I guess a majority of this game. But yeah, I think outside of the power play with the bat, we kind of lost a couple pretty quickly and then it was it looked it was definitely a hard look at the start on and then yeah, I think we probably left maybe twenty five out there and then they may have been a different game. I think the intent we had with the back, especially at the start, was outstanding. It was clearly that probably the best time in the bat was that was the power plan. I think, you know, the way we went about it for the first kind of yeah, eight overs or so, it was outstanding. And then it took you know, some some brilliants from the spin bolls to kind of really pee us back and make it I guess challenging through that kind of middle phase. Yeah, we didn't. I guess after the start we were probably thinking, you know, to eighty two seventy five. But the way you know, they were able to squeeze and build pressure and then it really I mean the way Michael Brace will play to the end got us you know up to that kind of that two fifty mark, but it was you know, maybe looking a little bit less.
Speaker 2: What about the most encouraging aspects of the competition.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's never going to go perfectly, you know, these tall and I guess with the quick turnaround of games like we had, but I think what's most pleasing is, you know, different guys got opportunities and and and stepping up. Is you know, couldn't be proud of the group. You know, guys coming in and out, and it's always it's always you obviously want to play every game. But you know, I think and then obviously the way Chin came back straight away after his head knock and hit the ball running and kJ flying over and then you know, putting us straight in. And I thought he bowled extremely well in the games he played, and you know, obviously a tough one losing, losing Tesser today, but you know he tried his very best to be to be ready for this game. So yeah, I guess there's always adversity in these tournaments, and you know, you could you could take it back to a few different things, but you know, I think, you know, we didn't really complain about anything. We just kind of get old and that's that's how we we'd like to operate. And yeah, obviously pretty proud of the way we kind of fought throughout this whole tournament and and different conditions everywhere went.
Speaker 2: Really shame they weren't able to go all the way. Two million US would be good money, Jerry, but you know, at one point one two is what they get. They get about seventy thousand each. Isn't bad US dollars in terms of a work performance, bearing in mind they would have been paid their contract rates as well.
Speaker 3: For quite a handy couple of weeks. Yeah, look, I mean that aside, to be honest, that's that secondary to me. I think first of all, the point to make is New Zealand deserved to be there. They were the I think in the host country Pakistan. They won that part of the tournament, didn't they beating Pakistan and Bangladesh and then South Africa. I thought the second point would be the unavailable unavailability of Matt Henry. That was a real blow, wasn't it.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not only our most consistent and accurate Seema, but he also does well against India and then putarticular against Roth Sharma. I think New Zealand probably missed him in the powerplay and at the desk, and I think probably at the moment he's our most effective death bowler. It's an area of our game that needs, I think some work. It's quite hard, isn't it really, Because as a seema wads, you practice all your days to be consistent. Don't you keep putting the ball, putting the ball, putting in the same place Brew chats like. And then you get to the end of the game and you need to have variation and you've got to go against that everything You've learned that consistency all the time in the powerplay. So we're not quite so good at that yet. Here's a question for you, Oh, did New Zealand need three seemas that do bay.
Speaker 2: No, probably not. But then they didn't have Matt Henry and they brought in Nathan Smith. He at the moment is still learning his game and so was a little bit expensive. In a couple of overs, they got away with just the two oers from him. You know, Jamison and O'Rourke did the business pretty well. And then they had the Forcemin bowlers and they were class, weren't they. I mean, Michael Bracewell probably doesn't get the plaudits he deserves. Mitchell Santra's been consistent right the way through. They had Ravendra who played his part at times, and also Phillips. And to me, you know, that's forty overs and I think they could have got forty overs, certainly thirty at least out of the whole four of them if they were going to bowl their seemas. And it's a pity that seemers like Matt Henry could have been ineffective on that pitch. He missed one innings, didn't he But he was still this top wiket taker ahead of spin bombing.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, I just thought maybe we needed to be a bit wee bit more flexible about that. Whether they misread the pitch slightly, I don't think they probably did obvious India and the position they were in they could select aside with four spinners, but seam wasn't productive on that pitch, was it. I mean India bowld twelve overs one for one hundred and six from their seemers and new Zea bold fourteen overs. Perhaps that's the two extra ones from Nathan Smith but that was one for one hundred and two. I guess the choice they had was between Duffy and Smith, and they went for the more batting and perhaps the better all round kind of offering that Smith gives the field as well movement catching and then his bowling and then the batting if required. I wondered whether they could play another batsman once. I wondered whether they could even throw, and maybe Chapman he is in the field all the time. Anyway, it would have been very different and flexible, and it's not like New Zealand. I've got to admit that. But might that have meant we were less timid during those middle thirty overs between the powerplay and the death overs. Would it have meant that we could have attacked a little more than we even tried. I'm not saying it was easy, but anyway, I mean the next question i'd ask you when they won the toss New Zealand, should they bowld or should they battered?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think Sat made the point that he was quite happy if they got the runs on the board that they could defend it, and I suppose in the end result his point was that they were probably twenty to thirty light that they were unable to create the pressure and that was probably the timid nature because when it got to bracefol down the order, he was able to play with freedom. But you know, it leaves you fewer overs, doesn't it, because you're worried about, well, we're going to get into a tail in the moment. I mean Smith came in and faced a couple of balls I think towards the end, but that might have made the difference. But you know, those are the things that you can look at in hindsights. They made those decisions and you know, it got down to the last over, and that I think is where you know, New Zealand probably were just a little bit light in terms of runs, but it was hard to know what was a passcoor on that deck. That just highlights for me the adequacies of playing on that ground and the failure of the ICC to do the tournament and treat it with the integrity that it deserves. And there's been a lot of complaints from a lot of people. Certainly New Zealand didn't complain, but I know David Miller had something to say. And you know, when you look at the amount of flying, you know what it's like. You have to pack your bag, unpack your bag. You're in and out of airports. You know, there's a lot of wasted time, mental pain, isn't there. You're not sitting in a hotel with your feet out, drinking line and squash or Bacardian code.
Speaker 3: No, that's true. I think the David Miller point was they traveled at also very very early, the timing of the flights, and he was talking about after the semi final, wasn't it going down yes, or just prior to the semi maybe yeah, down to Dubai and then having to get flights back from Dubai when it wasn't required when they saw the result, and having to go back to the hall where they left from. And so he was talking about just a sheer. You're right about the time in airports, You're right about the waiting, You're right about the buses and the traffic. It does take a lot of time out, there's no doubt about that. And all the teams other than India would have done a lot of that, I can tell you, especially those who made it through to the end of the tournament. But anyway, look, I think batting was the right choice. I mean in that dead rubber in Dubai where they played against India. I think New Zealand noticed the ball turned more in the second innings they were batting there, weren't they.
Speaker 1: In that?
Speaker 3: And I think they got bold Indian out for about two fifty and then they were well and comfortably short chasing against those four spinners in Dubai the first game they played there. Secondly, I think Miller and Ravender I heard them both saying and something or other after the South African semi final and Lahore that the pitch helped spin more on the second innings even there. And I think also I saw on the telly if I was still awake in the final, I think they compared the amount of turn in the first innings to the second. Two degrees in the first I've written here, and three point four in the second innings. Now that doesn't mean, that doesn't mean wickets immediately. That's just an indicator, isn't it. But you can imagine cool Deep and Chuck Ravarti turning it as well, because I don't think the pitch turned dramatically. Brian, Yes, so it was a slow pitch. And don't forget if Judaisa was bowling it between ninety and one hundred k's the imagine if that was gripping as well. I think it was the right decision.
Speaker 2: Chuckravarti is an interesting biler because he was able to get a little bit more bounce with his leg spin style. But he's got such a variety, he's pretty accurate, and he does get the ball to drift in, doesn't he. That's when he.
Speaker 5: Got Will Young with LBW was just a lovely leg spinner and he did that quite often, which makes him a difficult man to hit because you got that, you know, a couple of centimeters between the inside edge of the bat and the front pad if you're playing straight along the pitch.
Speaker 2: And he was a man to stroke for them, and I think he's in and handled him pretty well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they couldn't get him away, could they. It was really a case of defending. Yeah, I think you're right. I think if you place your leg early on as the ball's coming down, I think you get in a wee bit of trouble, which is I think what Young found. And at the last moment, any leg spinner, if you turner, it's going to come into you just the same as Bracewell will drift it away from a right hand a leg spinner brings it into you and then turns it, turns it back. But yeah, he's a real mystery, isn't he. Chacker? I mean, we had the telly and we could see the differences of delivery. Batsman can't see that. But what you do get is a chance to see the ball as it comes towards you which way it's turning. And I don't think New Zealand batsmen have quite got into that habit, not quite enough anyway now, because they were guessing, they didn't know.
Speaker 2: And I think they were wanting to dominate him and probably picked a little bit too early to try and dominate him. I mean they took nine off his first over and those sorts of things because you know that he is a danger and I thought that, you know, Revender handled him pretty well. I mean, talking about stars at the competition, Matt Henry was the star seam bowler with the most wickets for most runs. I mean, he he is becoming a remarkable player. What is it about the way he plays that you like it? He must see the ball very very early, and he loves to go down the pitch, doesn't he?
Speaker 3: I think he does. I think that's a little bit of use. What is he twenty five, twenty four, twenty five? I think he's But he just concentrates so hard you can. They gave us a close up, didn't they? In that the eyes at some point and you could just see the way he was watching so intently. He always goes forward into a ford press. He always looks to attack first and defend second, which is ideal. I think for the white ball game. It can make him look a little I don't know, a shot a ballman, if you know what I mean. Most of the times he's getting away with it, but it can make him a bit loose. He was dropped twice, wasn't he in that innings? And so he gives chances. But yeah, I mean he also makes a lot of runs. But yeah, he was fantastic and the player of the tournament. Yeah, I mean he obviously he obviously didn't pick the cool deep delivery, did he first ball a wrongan and clever bowling therefore, and was bowled off the pad ondly the book, but it beat him, no doubt about that, and then onto the stumps Williamson pushed right out to cool Deep as well. But you see risties get bounce wads, they get a wee bit more bounce. And you mentioned Jack Ravarti and then also Cooled Deep as well, and that actually bounced a bit more on Williamson, didn't it. And if he had have played it straight, it would have been he was looking to take a single and got a not a leading edge, so much more an outside of the bat, but not an edge, I didn't think. And yeah, yeah, And then Phillips, Phillips was bowled by a Roman from Chack Ravarti, which he thought was a legie. And so there are a number of players in that young Ravendra, Williams and Phillips in that top order who were all beaten by wrist spinners and not quite picking the ball. And then you had then you had Mitchell. He just got a weave at stranded, didn't he. He obviously took it upon himself. We've lost three wickets quickly. Someone's got to see this through. We cannot afford to lose another and that was his primary, yeah, primary concern. But it did cost it cost us in terms of runs, thirty two runs in the second group of ten thirty four and the third group of ten and then thirty seven. So between overs ten and forty, New Zealand goingly got one hundred and three runs, so that came at a cost. He did try, He tried to sweep, but it was just too difficult. And what Rohitt did well, I mean, imagine having four bowlers like that wads, it would be like. It reminded me of Clive Lloyd, you know, having Marshall holding Garner and Roberts. You know, yeah, well that's right. And Clive used to change them on the hour. He used to look at the clock, turn them over and change them over. And it must be wonderful to have two legies and then two left arm spinners. And he paired the mark didn't He Aksa went with cool Deep Jadasia went with Chuck Gravati and it was fast bowling. They were ninety to one hundred on the stumps and it didn't give you much option. You'd expect to get one loose ball and two overs, wouldn't you. You didn't though, they weren't coming up there at all. So a little bit bamboos led by the leggies. And then the left arm is bowling at that speed on the stumps. Even when lath And, one of our better sweepers, had to go at Jadasia, he missed it. And that was the danger with that and as lbw so very tough and really they weren't the only ones. And once you get that one hundred and sixty hundred and seventy hundred and eighty dot balls and Mitchell got drowned in him, didn't he It was going to be a subpar total. You always felt two fifty. New Zealand needed wickets early and so then and they got a little period of pressure when they applied it, didn't they. Yes, yeah, they got Gill out. Gill was another one who'd had trouble. He got thirty one or fifty now only hit one boundary and that was a six. So it wasn't as if New Zealand were alone and that I'd love to have seen the Indian batsman playing their spinners actually, so yeah, it was It was just a question did Mitchell did he wait too long?
Speaker 2: Well, you know he's caught the devil in the deep blue sea, really, isn't he? Because he is, You make a mistake, you get out and things fall apart. I think he had to play the way he did and you know, and the end results. He made a platform for bracefall, but at that stage they'd lost the momentum that they needed and losing Williamson early because he's a player can get the momentum game. I was interested. It's good to be able to sit and watch players like Williamson over a period of time. Do you, since I don't know whether you watched a lot of them during this series, do you sense though he's trying to broaden his game and widen how he plays. He's playing reverse sweeps a little more often now, he's got that wonderful inside out stroke over extra cover that he seems to have perfected, and his stroke range in short form cricket seems to be getting a little bit wider.
Speaker 3: Have you noticed that, yep, the slog sweep he also brought in against South Africa, didn't He and went over against or the left armor from Sada, a good bowler Maharaj and he slogged him for six as well over sort of that wide long on area and used that a couple of times. So he is certainly showing us a wider range. He's obviously been able to play them, but it hasn't been prepared to in games. Now he is and he was actually the one I felt against South Africa who was putting the pedal down. He was the one who was changing and upping the anti that all the time. Then he got that little flick over the keeper and got away with it a couple of times, got him out in the end, and it was a slower one, but he was prepared to play a much wider range of stroke, no doubt about it. I think New Zealand generally was I'd say, as a generalization, rather than go for three hundred and ten in the innings, they would prefer to get to two to eighty and settle for it and then try very hard to defend it rather than going hard for three ten and getting out a little bit earlier, rather a lot more like England do. And so that seems to be their preference and their generalization.
Speaker 2: They played an organized game, didn't they. I think the important thing from my point of view was the consistency of performance. We've been critical of them in certain games and was justification that they haven't been consistent in their performance. But right throughout this series and the series in Pakistan. As a lead up, their consistency was good. They had depth and batting, their seam bowling attackers starting to develop as well. You know that the signs are good and there's plenty to be positive about. We can't look at you know, there are always slight negatives, but you know, generally it was a successful performance even though they didn't win the title.
Speaker 3: Correct, they played very well in this Champion's Trophy. And don't forget the spinners. You've probably mentioned them already, But I think a lot of people, for example, think that Brace was as a bits and pieces cricketer. Chap who holds the batter bit and bowls a bit. You know, he's much better than that accurate catcher Handy number seven, large hands, gives the ball a good rip like his old uncle John, and drifts it away and drops it and brings it back. I think he balances the side out really well. Antona, his skills slightly different. He was looking for wickets, wasn't he. He wants good flight and to get people out with you know, changes of pace and turn. Very different approach than Judasia and Actua Patel. Revendra. I mean, if I think of Ravendra, he came into the New Zealand side at what was he seventeen eighteen or whatever, twenty and bold left arm, orthodox, didn't he but he was always going to be a better batsman and that's they were just easing him in at that stage. He's a bit like Judasia in the sense he's quick through the air and New Zealand has got to keep on bowling him. It's good to have that difference, so I think yep. So I thought the New Zealanders were very effective. Their spinners could pull their opposition back a little bit, and they did for a while once Rowat Shama was stumped. They made it quite awkward and they looked a bit under pressure the Indians for about sort of no maybe five to ten overs. Unfortunately, New Zealand the half chances they got, they didn't have quite the best day in the field, but as you say, those things can happen. They batted well, they got good runs, they defended with spin in the middle and generally were very good in the field.
Speaker 2: Well, Michael Braceley was going to get a chance to bother it more because he's been named captain of the T twenty squad to play against Pakistan five of those coming up, and of course they're playing Odie Iss as well. The reason of course that Satna Chapman and I'm just trying to think of the other ones are Ferguson. There's four of anyway not not playing this series. Brace was the captain, Finnellen, Mark Chapman, Jacob Duffy, Zach Fuchs comes back in for a couple of games. Mitch Hater keeper Matt Henry will play a couple of games. Jamison Mitchell nich o'rour will play three games. He and Jamison will play three games. Tim Robinson back at the top of the order. That's going to be interesting with Finn Allen and the likes Rich and Rutchian Ravender is not there. Of course, Ben Sears good to see him back, and Ish Sodian. You know, we sort of forget about the ben Sears when we talk about paste bowlers. They've got Duffy, but you know, now that he's got over his injury, Sears, you know, the chances of seeing a really good top line paste bowling attack in action that is encouraging.
Speaker 3: No doubt about that. Yeah, don't forget we lost Ferguson, didn't we? In the in the Champions Trophy and sears. So that sounds to me. What's the first time I've kind of heard you name those with fin Allen and Robinson open. Where does Cipher fit three? Perhaps, well he's been or Mark Chapman. Mark Chapman was number three against Sri Lanka, wasn't he? Mitchell's there you mentioned, so he'd before I heard the word the name nism at some point. So he'll be, I guess, drifting around, so will Bracewall.
Speaker 2: They've got Mitch Hayes as well, and it's been a little bit further down the order and some of the sides that he's been playing for. But it's good to see him back in our Ta twitty squad and that's going to be something of while I've got the players out.
Speaker 3: So the spinners of Bracewell and Sodi is that is? That? Was that about right?
Speaker 2: That's the ones that I can see there. Zach Fuchs is a medium pace, yeah, spinners.
Speaker 3: And plenty of seamers which they're going to rotate obviously, yep.
Speaker 2: Five games to be played. Okay, then starting on a.
Speaker 1: Sunday, Brian Waddle, Jeremy Coney on the front foot.
Speaker 2: Well, the New Zealand women's team. The White Fins have had a pretty encouraging series against Sri Lanka and welcome back to the White Fins. Hope that Georgia Plummer serious injury. Following the World to Twitty, Plumber continued to development the teching opener in a side that had numerous injury issues and without Divine and Kerr at the helm, the first International Century kept off for a good series. Georgia Plumouth, Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 6: I think across the series we've obviously saying Maddie score one hundred and have some good partnerships in that game as well as today's game, and I think a lot of what our work on TV being for fifty over cricket has been a lot of partnerships and time in the medal. So yeah, I guess it's pretty satisfying to sort of do that and coming off not much cricket for me, I guess that's probably the most satisfying thing.
Speaker 2: They've been frustrations along the way, injury and some low scores must have been certisfying reward.
Speaker 6: Yeah, pretty incredible and obviously grateful to all the people that have helped me get to sort of this point and one of the hours with me over the last couple of years. And I guess being out there with Susi as well at the start and having that partnership at the startup and that sort of sent me in a more of a calm state out there. And yeah, I guess being able to see her record for fifties and hundred is pretty incredible sort of be out there with a legend like that and sort of doing that. And I guess being out there when the next wicket with Emma McCloud is obviously really young and new into the team and sort of had that fresh view. I think that sort of shows where our team is at at the moment, and I think that's the great balance that we've got.
Speaker 1: At the moment.
Speaker 2: Would have given you time to work on your game during the injury break, That's true.
Speaker 6: We'll focus on a lot over the past couple of months while being injured about rotating strike and heading straight. So that's probably been my biggest work on And so yeah, for that to come out there and all that effort that I've been putting in the last few months while not being able to play cricket and see it out there on the park, I guess was probably the most pleasant.
Speaker 3: Thanks.
Speaker 2: So one hundred and thirty eight days without competitive cricket.
Speaker 6: Crazy to think that it's been about four or five months since our last T twenty games and a lot of the girls have been playing in a supersmashion in the domestic scene, and I think being able to see some of the scores that are being put up and sort of the aggression that we're wanting to have as a white fans team sort of be replicated in the domestic scene. I think it's going to be pretty exciting to see what our team sort of puts out on the park and when o Sri Lanka. Obviously ham Tamara at the top is one of the best T twenty players in the world, so I think it's going to be a really good matches that were going to be coming up against. And yeah, excited to see how this team goes after a couple of good ones and the fifty over stuff as well.
Speaker 2: Not a lot you can read into it at the stage against the Sri Lanka. They've got to Pakistan coming as well, but you look at their injury list, I could go through a whole list. I think there's about nine who have got injuries of their frontline players. So more than anything there else, they're giving other players an opportunity and I think some quality young players. I've watched the women's game against the Sri Lanka and I've seen a good attacking attitude about their play and seeing the skills on show of some of the new players who've worked their way through the Halliburton Johnson and Dream eleven Super Smash competition. So, you know, interesting to see how we'll go in the T twenty series against Sri Lanka because they're basically the world champions at the moment of T twenty. And then of course they've got Pakistan coming and you may well see some of those because you'll be at games somewhere around your.
Speaker 3: Hill somewhere somewhere might be picked and wads ground grounds a bit small, exactly good to see some new names. I listened to the third match at Nelson Briilling left armor from Auckland. That's yeah, that's that's nice to see. She bowls both sides of the wicket, which is excellent. She got a couple of you know, a couple of wickets in the second game. I think so that's nice to see Polly English the keeper. It looks quite attacking. She got a thirty i think in the second match and are not out in the second not many didn't get a chance. And then there's a number three. The new girl from the CD is Emma McLeod someone like that. Yeah, so she's a right hand bat. Hasn't made quite so many yet, but good to see those new names in there. It pushes people like is he Grace? She? Is he Gays? Sorry? Is he Gays? Is she is she going to keep now or does she have to make some changes?
Speaker 2: She's one of those injured now. She's just added to the injury list that has just been released by New Zealand Cricket that she is not able to play. Gays James is another one who's just new to the side yet, and the Jets and along and of course not having the other players that they have had, so you know it is giving them some opportunities and that's that's going to be encouraging for them.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, the od the eyes have finished, so it's t twenty time premature really to, as you say, claim too much about the New Zealand side. But Sri Lanka didn't they beat New Zealand last time they were here?
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, Well.
Speaker 3: You know that's good that New Zealander pushed ahead, keep pushing, keep the standards up athleticism and who knows they've got the Assies coming up at some stage?
Speaker 2: Haven't they got some email traffic? Jerry? But we'll have a look at those next week. You just want have a quick word about the Plunket shield which is now through five rounds. Northern Districts at the top, Wellington second, Canterbury third. Wellington got up over Otago to get him the second place, but Central Districts is a side that interests me because I just still have concerns as to why Tom Bruce doesn't feature more often in Black Caps contention. Here's a man who scored a three hundred and forty five. Only one player in New Zealand first class cricket, when you think about the great players we've had, has beaten that score, Bert Suckliffe twice. Totally players. Bruce is a right handed a bit more aggressive than BT Suckliffe might have been, but he averages in first class cricket forty eight. We would have died for players to average forty eight to get into the Test team in times gone past? How does a guy who averages forty eight not get considered for New Zealand sides anywhere?
Speaker 3: Well? Well he has, hasn't he. He's played ten twenties, he's played. I guess the first point you would say is that it's just unfortunate timing, isn't it? That it hasn't been kind to someone like Tom Bruce. I saw him. He led the what CD at the base and didn't he? They won the Super Smash there they played Canterbury and won that. He has played in the Bangladesh League for the Chatter Graham, hasn't he? And he has played in England for both short form and longer form cricket as well. So he's a middle order player. He has captain the New Zealand A side, so he's there. And but as you're saying, would you have who does he replace Wads? He's a middle order player.
Speaker 2: Well that is the same issue that they have when they leave Devon Conway out of the New Zealand side. You get in by form, don't you by performance? And therefore you make your way. Here's a man who gets the top run scorer or close to the top run scorer. In the last two or three seasons. He scores centuries regularly. I just can't believe that he doesn't even come into even into squads, you know. I mean, I've got to not the I squad going to be coming out very shortly. Will he feature in that? I very much doubt it. You know, you pick players on form and that you know, that's basically what happened. Devin Conway is out because the others were scoring and he had to be parachuted out the back, didn't.
Speaker 3: The Hey yep, and I'm sure that'll be something to do with one of the emails that where was where was Conway? And he did start well And that's quite good though for a side. If you keep pushing and pushing and you get internal you know, competition between players and you're having to push yourself all the time to play. I think that lifts everybody training has become more you know, they're much more competitive. You want to have a good showing at the nets because you're wanting to impress people and so on. So anyway, yep, he's got to beat Mitchell who's averaging you know, he's thirty four five hundred's and a few fifties, and he'd be averaging over forty in test cricket Revender. I don't think he's going to replace Revendrew's twenty five. And then you've got Blundle at six who's averaging thirty four as a keeper and got five hundreds. It's not it's not an easy place to break in.
Speaker 2: I suppose all selections are a difficult time and more players deserve to be considered. Then I just think that the Bruce one is quite an interesting one.
Speaker 3: In mind.
Speaker 2: We'll see what happens when the ODI team is named. Jerry, you can go put your feed up if you so wish, get ready for the Pakistan series. Looking forward to seeing the players playing back home, and it'll be interesting to see what kind of ODI side they do pick after having got onto the final the Champions Trophy. So you know, interesting stuff ahead for the next month or so.
Speaker 3: Yep, that's right. Words And of course music is Music's the next thing for me. I've got to say, it's uh, we don't play the Love Train, which I think was quite high in your top hundreds.
Speaker 2: Oh that's in my top five.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, it was always up. There wasn't they the o J I'll remember forget you standing standing in your doorway with most of your families building out, gonna sail on the love train.
Speaker 2: I've annoyed quite a lot of people, actually.
Speaker 3: People of the world.
Speaker 2: All I want to know. You don't sing, do you?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 3: Well, not what the microphone turned on?
Speaker 2: Oh that's good. All right, I'm the way down to pick them to uh to catch a series of you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, we'll give you a back row seat. All right, Friday, I'm going to take care of summer.
Speaker 1: For more from News Talks, b and Live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on iHeartRadio