Speaker 1: You're listening to the Resident Builder podcast with Peter wolf Camp from US. Talks edby viewing up the house, sorting the garden, asked Pete for ahead The Resident Builder with Peter wolf Camp called eight hundred eighty ten eighty used talks edb.
Speaker 2: The house sizzle even when it's dug, even when the grass is overgrown in the yard, and even when a dog is.
Speaker 3: Too old to barn.
Speaker 4: And when you're sitting at the table trying not to stove house scissor even when we are ben ball, even when you're therellone houses a home, even when these ghost even when you got.
Speaker 2: Around from the world you love your most screamed those broken paints, feeling from the wood locals bastball when they're going to leave in the neighbor.
Speaker 4: The house is a home, even when wilband home, even when you're in there alone, it's.
Speaker 3: A home.
Speaker 5: A hang on, no, no, no, heaven. How about that? Sorry, folks, let me start again. My mistake radio. Actually, yeah, there we go, rightio. Sorry about that technical mistake on my part. The fader was down there you go. Hey, good morning, welcome along to the show. My name's Pete wolf Camp. This is the resident builder on Sunday, and we are into a couple of hours of open line conversation about all things building and construction. So if you've got some questions of a building nature, you should call me right now. Inevitably, as I mentioned a few times, we do get a little bit busy later on the show and don't always get to all of the callers. So if you've got a question and you're up and about, maybe you've you've already had the toast and the tea and that sort of thing, or perhaps you just tucked up still in bed. It is kind of the middle of winter, doesn't It feels reasonably sort of settled in this part of the country at the moment. But if you're up at about and you're listening to the show and you think, yee, I wish I knew kind of what to do about. You know, someone who's text me before when it rains a little area just by the back door that gets wet right the back door's undercover, so I suspect that the moisture is coming up through the slab. What do I do about that? Or another email that I got during the course of the week, it was someone who's going, hey, look, I was told that I didn't need a building consent for this particular type of work. Turns out I did. What can I do about it?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 5: I have to say on that matter, it's been sort of a project of mine for the last little while to try and get a building consent that was issued in two thousand and two. The work was completed, the person lived in the house. They went for a final inspection in two thousand and twelve found that there was some work that was not properly done, that required more work, which required a new building consent that got done, That consent got signed off. Excuse me, my client got me to do some work on that house almost ten years ago, which got a building consent. Well, had a building consent and got signed off and a CCC was issued. But then a couple of years ago it was found that, hey, actually that other earlier consent never got signed off. We've got to get that signed off. I can assure you that has been quite the process, and it wasn't just a sort of desktop review type thing. Oh well, that should have got signed off. There was inspections, there's been meetings, there's been the engagement of building surveys to do a essentially a performance review of the exterior cladding, to satisfy council that it's going to it's going to perform, and that they can feel comfortable about issuing a CCC for that very early consent, which means that when someone looks at the limb the land Information Memorandum of the property, they'll see that every consent that was issued, every building consent that was issued, has in fact been resolved signed off with a CCC. These things take a bit of time, so that that text that came through with that email that came through about oh gosh, we've done the shower and now realize that we should have had a building consent might actually be quite a process sway. We'll get into that a little bit later on radio. What's going on at your place? Oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call if you've got a building question. It could be about, you know, the actual practicalities of getting something constructed. It might be around the rules and regulations that govern what we build, how we build, and how we get it to be compliant. And there's some pretty well pretty significant changes. Something that's been talked about We've talked about it on the show a number of times over the last couple of months. Probably actually would go back almost a year. Cast your mind back to the arrival I guess of a new government and a new Minister for Construction and Building. That is the honorable Chris Pink, who's been a guest on this show a couple of times, came into the studio a few months ago. One of the things that was floated very early on is, hey, look I've been told or feedback from the industry, is that the recent changes to H one of the Building Code, which is what sets the sort of energy performance or the insulation standards for the Building Code, which had just only recently been taken up a couple of notches right to make our buildings more energy efficient, to make them war Alma basically, or to upgrade the amount of insulation that came into effect in November twenty twenty three, and then, of course about less than a year later that the incoming government goes, oh, well, look, the feedback from the sector has been that the insulation standards are too high. They've added significant costs to buildings. We should look at winding that. And that was kind of the first one of the first announcements. Look, we're going to look at this. We've being told it adds fifty thousand dollars to the cost of a new build. We're going to save you fifty thousand dollars by winding back h one fascinating debate. We've talked about it a couple of times on the show over a fairly long period of time, consultation, and finally, as in this week, decision has been made and the decision and I have to say my frustration with the way that this has been reported in the media has been enormous. There has been much shouting at televisions, radios, stomping of feet, banging of hands on the desk or reading the newspaper at the way in which it's been presented. And so often the reporting will be along lines of insulation standards are going to be reduced, right, which is not actually true. Insallation standards, the actual performance criteria for the house are not changing. The way in which you get to the best of my knowl which the way in which you get there is going to change. So there used to be a thing called the schedule method. It's still out there it means that you can go to the code and you go right every If I use the schedule method to determine the amount of insulation I need in my house, I'm going to end up with six point six in the ceiling, because that's what's required everywhere in the country, in the Cargol to Kaitaire, everywhere in the country. If you use the schedule method six point six. To be fair, that I think an ill conceived idea when it came out. So anyway, the schedule method at this stage, anyway, it seems like the decision is we're going to discard that in favor of two other pathways to compliance, one of which is calculation method. The other is the modeling method. Happy to talk about this, I think it's really important, but I do want to state that this is not a reduction in the insulation standards. It's just a better, more nuanced way of actually figuring out what's going on in our houses. Last week on the show as well, I mentioned another little project that I've been involved in, which is looking at the heating requirements for Healthy Home standards for in this case an apartment, so an inner city apartment relatively new built late about nineteen ninety seven, so not a terribly old building, still had stand dolominium joinery, single glazing, it's concrete construction, et cetera. But the people who are the landlords, are the owners of the property. Had had a healthy homes assessment done by someone, and in fact, I was reading the report last night, so I've got the original report that was done, and the heating calculation that that person determined was four kilowatts of heating in that particular space. This is forty five forty six square meters, which isn't massive, right, and it's in the apartment, and there are apartments above and below and next to it, and okay, so they went out, they got heating that complied to that amount, in fact exceeded it. Then they found out that the heating that they'd put in was not going to be compliant with healthy home standards because it was more than two point four kilowats and it wasn't a heat pump. They had fixed in panel heaters, very very good quality panel heaters, but they don't comply because if you have a heating requirement over two point four, it must be a heat pump. So then someone else did a heating assessment on it their results, and again I read that report last night as well. I wasn't very good company last night said that the heating requirement for that space was three killer what I looked at it and kind of used the calculator and adjusted the figures. Let's say, so, I haven't submitted this. I just used the online tool that everyone can use if you go to tendency Services, and I figured out that it would be I thought, in terms of actual practical use, given that there's an apartment above and one below and some on each side, that the heating requirement might be around one point two. We went out and had it probably properly modeled by a basically building scientist who determined that the actual heating requirement was zero point five to seven killer watts of energy. Now that's a long way from four. Still a long way or four point two, I think it was. It's a long way from three. It's even quite a long way from one point two. So just dwell on that for a moment. Think about the potential implications that if you use the online tool you're going to end up with a number. Well, it just raises so many questions. One is how do two people assessing exactly the same building come up with two numbers that are completely different? And then how do I come up with a number that's even less than that looking at a real world example, how does this building actually perform? And then having it independently scientifically showing that in fact, the heating requirement is considerably less. Again, we can talk about that as well. And oh, I got to tell you about this phone call? Random phone call. Chappy rings up and goes, what do you know about this rock Coat stuff? Because I'm about to buy a house. I said, what do you mean? I don't know him? You just I don't know. To be fair, I don't even know who he got my number. He listens to the show and somehow you got my number, Good on you, and he goes the auctions later on today. Can you tell me anything about it as it happens? I could, And the only reason I could is because I know the guy who is the general manager for Razine Construction and rock Coat, and so I was able to ring him and go, here's the address. What do you know about the house? He knows a lot about it. I'll tell you about that a bit later on as well. Radio folks, thank you very much for listening. Let's get into it. Sorry about the the heck up at the start. We got that sorted. I've got some technical ability. It is twenty minutes after six. We're going to take short break. We're going to talk to Steve in a moment. We've got some lines free. Eight hundred and eighty, ten eighty. There is lots to talk about.
Speaker 1: Whether you're painting the ceiling, fixing with feds, or wondering how to fix that hole in the wall. Give Peter wolf Gamble on eight the resident builder on News Dogs.
Speaker 5: That'd be I'm slightly baffled by this text. To be fair, we'll come to Stephen just a second. Your example describes exactly why there's a schedule method, Peter, I'm not sure what you're trying to say there. Yeah, anyway, if you'd like to give me some more details, or better still, give me a call, that'd be great. Other texts from Owen, good to hear the minister listened. If not keeping everyone happy. What I want to know is why any government thinks it's okay for the situation to continue where developers can build or modify buildings into apartments walk away with the profits and leave apartment purchases with huge remediation costs that in many cases ruin them. I want to see the responsibility follow the money and the man not to a dissolve company. Look, that has historically been an issue, and there's any number of bits of litigation. In fact, I know a guy who's a lawyer who's kind of a mate as well, who's been involved in one case. I think for some like twelve years. In terms of remediation, there was a I think there was a couple of sort of forced sales the other day where people had refused to pay their body corporate contribution to a remedial building, and then the body corporate is basically going to either bankrupt them or get them out of the property and sell it on their behalf. And so yeah, I look, I don't disagree with you. I think that's some either unscrupulous builders or developers have built buildings that have been terribly poorly performed, and the devastation that's wrought on people's lives is immense. I don't disagree with you. Oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty, let's get amongst the call. Steve, good morning.
Speaker 7: Good morning, Pepe. Thanks to you and enjoy your program.
Speaker 5: Thank you, thanks for calling.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I've moved a house. It's sort of been consented by the council into a property and as well underway, we want to just change the plumbing plan around a little bit. Had another toilet and just moves a tub and stuff like that. There's a layout of the plumbing and drainage obviously, and the registered plumber drain layer. He didn't think it's too much of a problem with it, and he will draw up a plan at the end of it and it goes into council. What I want to avoid is I'm having a big delay with going to apply for it now and then you know, and then all that sort of carry on. I'd sort of rather do it respectfully.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't suggest so the changes that you're proposing to make will add to the number of sanitary fitting fittings that are shown on the existing building consent. Yes, okay, that triggers the requirement for building consent in itself. So given that you've already got one and it's active, my advice to you would be to I would put it in as a minor variation. Right, So have your plumber won't be able to draw the plans. The plans have to be drawn by someone who has a LBP or is an LBP so has their design license, which I doubt your plumber is. So go back to the original drafts personal architect who did the drawings, ask them to amend the existing drawings showing the location and the pipework for the new sanitary fittings, and then submit that as a minor variation. Now, the council might not accept it as a minor variation, in which case it then becomes an amendment to the consent. That might take some time to process. But typically, depending on which council, or maybe even which inspector you know, a minor variation can often be just processed on site so they, you know, next inspection, or you book a special inspection meeting, get the inspector out and go, hey, look, just now that we're here and we've seen how it all works, we'd like to make this change. Here's some documentation for it. So if you've got the plan there straight away, here's the updated plan. They'll look at it, they can stamp it, sign it, and you can carry on. But doing it doing it later is to be blunt recipe for disaster.
Speaker 7: Okay, yeah, good advice.
Speaker 5: Do it now. I know it's a bit of a fair but do it now.
Speaker 7: Yeah, no, good advice. I've got the drafts from its registered and everything. Yeah, I'll draw it up. We'll get him to modify it and in a minor variation.
Speaker 5: And look, it's not too different to you know people going, oh, well, look, now that i've got the framing up, I've noticed that if I move that window over a little bit, I'll get a better view. And you know, it's relatively that's what happens right all the time, or gosh, you know, I've realized that, you know, I if I move that wall slightly, it'll increase the flow through the building, or you know all of those reasons. And you guys have obviously, now that you've got the house on site, you're probably walking through it going, oh gosh, if we made this little change, it'll be so much better.
Speaker 6: But do it now.
Speaker 7: Yeah. The only thing is that I want to put the extra toilet into a laundry that it joins the kitchen. There's a door between them. Is there any other problems of that?
Speaker 5: Do you think you might have to just check. For a while, there was rules that said you needed two doors between a toilet and a kitchen. Now I don't know if that's still the case, but often that was the case. So you needed two doors between a toilet and a kitchen.
Speaker 7: Yeah, okay, although I'm just.
Speaker 5: Thinking about like a downstairs powder room that might be like tucked in underneath the stairs of an open plan living. It'll only be one door. That might be the only thing that might trip you up. But your your architecture, your drafts person or your arciticct will will know how that should work. Okay, but yeah, do it now. Thanks, do it now, buddy, all the best, Okay, take care of Thank you, sir, Steve your news talks. He'd be people of camp with you, the resident builder here at Newstalks. He'd be coming up six thirty Colin, Good morning.
Speaker 8: Good morning tea.
Speaker 2: How are you on?
Speaker 5: Very well? Thank you Colin yourself.
Speaker 8: Well, I'll run out of doubt one day. Next seat, I've got someone to come and and check my root before they painted. It's got the point upon that teter.
Speaker 5: Yes, So it's now just just for listeners, is it a So it's one of those like pressed metal tile with the chips embedded on it, you should yeah, okay, yep.
Speaker 8: In the kitchen, Tita, I have got some crack in the ceiling through the taint. The taint is actually peeled, and that it's my way. I don't know why it's like it's since I've been in the place, but I've got it at half a dozen little spot and there's little cracks through the paint. Isn't because the way it's being prepared.
Speaker 5: It could be a combination of things. So one most likely it's the preparation. Right, So when the ceiling was painted, if let's say it was, if it's an older house and it's been painted a number of times, you put a new coat of paint over an old coat of paint, but the old code of paint fails and so starts to peel away, So that might be part of it. The other thing might be is if you've got not great insulation in the roof, then you'll be collecting a bit of moisture up there as well. So it's not necessarily a leak as in coming from the roof, but you're you're getting moisture collecting on the ceiling and that might affect the paint. And then, of course, the third possibility is that it actually is leaking if it's an older roof, in which case you'd want to try and identify that and fix the roof before you had the roof painted. Now's the time to fix it.
Speaker 8: I'll take the guy out once and he set the ceilings fine. I mean, the roof is fine, but yeah, it just puzzles me why it's got so many little cracks in it. I've got to get something to come in and do it. But I'm going to get the job done too. Yeah, so that's what I thought.
Speaker 5: In terms of the ceiling, I'd have a quick look inside the roof space and see what the insallation's like because that might have an impact on it. But then in terms of prepping that ceiling, you'd want to give it a really thorough clean, like with a proper paint preparation cleaner, so something that's going to be quite powerful. Clean the ceiling down, give it a light sand to knock black back the gloss level, and then I would recommend, especially if it's in a kitchen sort of an area with a bit of humid, put a coat of pigmented sealer on it first. That binds everything together, and then go ahead and put your top coats on. So you know, I think often what happens is people go, oh, I'm going to repaint the ceiling and they just get out the roller in a bucket of paint, tip it and roll the ceiling and then six months later they go, I wonder why that's peeling off. Well, because you haven't done the preparation. So good prep, I'll give you a good paint job.
Speaker 9: Yeah I was.
Speaker 8: Actually I'm going to get a a twadem and tun them and actually do the same.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Perfect, okay, but again make sure you say to them how are you going to do it? And I think that the best way to do it is to you know, clean it, send it pigmented sealer top coats and if they go, oh no, I'm just going to paint it, then you kind of go, well, I might look for another painter.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, all the best, Thank you mate, take care by bye.
Speaker 7: Oh.
Speaker 5: One hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call. Just referring to Steve's comments about the building consent wanting to make some small changes, particularly about adding for example, a toilet into I think a laundry area. Someone's text Pete. If it's already in for consent, get the consent and get underway, or your builder is going to be held up. No, I disagree with you there. If you're going to make a change like that that you know requires a building consent or an amendment to the building consent or a minor variation, get that sorted out. My impression is that the project's already underway right. The house has been moved on, they're doing the work on it. It's got a building consent for the relocation of the building. So if you're going to make a change, get that into counsel as soon as possible. Don't expect to counsel to look kindly on you making changes and then kind of asking for permission later on. Just doesn't work that way, right. Six thirty four Here at news Talk set Big Take, short break, come back with Xavier in just a moment. Squeaky door or squeaky floor.
Speaker 1: Get the right advice from Feta Wolfcare, the resident builder on NEWSTALKSB your.
Speaker 5: News Talk's HEDB. We're talking all things building in construction. Off with a Hisstener Raw this morning. If you've got a question of a building nature. You should call me right now. Oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is that number to call. Owen's text through as well. Just with regard to Colin talking about you know what could cause cracking in the paint work of the ceiling, has suggested that painting an enamel over and acrylic may result in cracking too because of generally the inflexibility of the enamel on the expanding and contracting a crilic Thank you very much for that one. Yeah, it is quite And I made the comment about a legislation or rules building code rules around whether or not you needed more than one door between a toilet and the kitchen. It's just it's one of those old rules that sort of floated around. Anyway, Someone's text, hey where can I send you a pack? Well, if you want to send a pick, you have to email it to me. That's Pete at newstalksb dot co dot nz. And one we have one bathroom in our house. It's literally seven steps away from the kitchen bench and there is only one door. Just trying thing about my own house. And we got some doors into the hallway which are typically always open, and then one door to the bathroom which is off the hallway, typical old villa. So if the doors are open, which they are most of the time, and it's only one one door between the kitchen, maybe it's a distance thing as well. It just it stuck with me. I remember discussing it. To be fair, it could have been twenty or thirty years ago, but anyway, right, and someone takes through. I get this all the time. It's hilarious song, so depressing it really gets a bad start to the show. I'll tell you what in kindness, I'll say this. I did last year on the anniversary of the show. Decided to change the song and I came up with something else, and then everyone went, we liked the song, We like the song back please So oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call New Texas. Just come in morning, Pete. What happens if the council has no limb or any other records of our house? Is there anywhere else to find information for consents? Et cetera. We recently bought a house in the Rangutiki district and council and they say that they had a fire sometime ago and all of the records were lost. Apparently it's a common thing. I tell you, what's a common thing. And I'm amazed that there are any records left. But I have heard we had a fire and all the records were lost. I was going to say hundreds of times. No, not hundreds of times, but I've heard it from almost every single council in the country over the last umpteen years. We had a fire and all the records were lost. I've heard that over and over and over again. I don't think that council buildings are that likely to burn down and destroy all of the council records for building consents and building permits and all the rest of it. I think that councils just lose stuff. So look, in the event that council don't have anything on the limb, you could ask for the property file, which is slightly different to the limb, and that literally is anything that they've got on file about the building. But it is also not uncommon for older buildings that there are simply no.
Speaker 6: Records.
Speaker 5: And I've had exactly the same I requested the property file for a property and I did it online, paid my money. It was like seventy six dollars or something like that paid for it, and about two or three days later I got a phone call from someone working at that particular council saying, hey, look, we know that you've made this request, but to be fair, we've got nothing. We got nothing, so you know, send us an email and we'll refund your money. There you go. Oh eight one hundred and eighty eighty is the number. Call Call seems to have dropped off. That's a right if you've got a question about building or about building consents and rules regulations. And I am quite keen to discuss the whole heating assessment tool thing, just based on my own experience of using it recently and then looking at and I've got them up on my laptop A. This is all part of the Healthy Home Standards right, So as a landlord, now there's no more time to get yourself sorted in terms of complying with Healthy Home standards. As of the first of July, so six days ago, all New Zealand residential rental properties must have a must be Healthy Homes compliant right. There are no more exceptions, there's no more delays, there's no more I'll get round to it tomorrow. It's all just got to happen. And so everyone who has a residential rental property will need to do a heating assessment to prove that the building can get to twenty degrees on the coldest day of the year, and that varies across the country depending on what climatic zone you're in. And then obviously what it takes to get to twenty degrees in terms of this calculation depends on what the building is made of. Is there a lots of insulation, not much insulation, et cetera, et cetera. And so you use the tool, it's the government's tool. It's on the Tendency Services website. You use the tool, you enter in the data and it spits out a number. So one report, this is bearing in mind, this is exactly the same building right that we're looking at here. One report and I'm reading it right now, ends up with a heating recommendation of So the building you require four point five kilowats of heating capacity to heat the living room. Heating needs to provide this heating capacity with an outdoor temperature of one degree. So that's the assumption in Auckland that it might be one degree outside when it's one degree outside. You've got to be able to get that room to twenty degrees and in order to do that, you've got to have four point five kilowatts of heating. Then exactly the same building, another report done by another assessor generates a number that says you need three kilowatts of heating, just quite a bit different. Then I did calculations based on how I think the building actually performs using the tool, and I got one point two. Then we went out and got a professional to do a model of the building, a theoretical model of the building to see what heating requirement there was actually going to be. Came back at zero point five to seven killowatts. Think about what's required to heat to four point five versus zero point five to seven. It is significant difference, right, and what you need to do. I e. In one case, you must install a heat pump, which means penetrating the exterior cladding, doing lots of electrical work, making sure that you've got a drainage pathway from the indoor unit to the outside. For the comments eight, you've got to have somewhere to sit that outdoor unit, which in an apartment could be a little bit challenging, and you know all of the cost involved to do something that in the end, in my opinion, you don't actually need. So give us a call on that if you'd like. Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call. James. Good morning to.
Speaker 9: You, Jane.
Speaker 11: That's good things, just kind of all. My mother's on her own. She's got a naked aker land and he's beside her. Baker Land has been subdivided, and they've got the neighbor has built a big his house is slightly raised, and he's built a long cronky drive from the road up to his house in the in the fall of the of the driveways going towards my mother's house, and it's flooding. She's never had that film before and so I had to talk to him and then I said, you need to such that drive. The fool is wrong and he said that costs me quite a bit. And I said, well, well, He said, how vert if I put a sum the so caol and your parents just through the fence into the appearance place. And I said, no, you can't do that, I thought the council. He said, oh, you get them, get her to agree. She's in her eighties. And I said no, I said, you can't do that. So I don't think you can, kiddy, Hell no, yeah, oh sort of, because that would come under lund too.
Speaker 10: I mean.
Speaker 11: You have told the house, wouldn't you.
Speaker 10: No, you don't.
Speaker 5: You don't allow the neighbor who's basically lazy and maybe a little bit of a bully to do that, right, So that that and also that type of drainage would require a consent. You never get consent for it, right, So this this development that's going on next door obviously is consented.
Speaker 11: He felt, well, yeah, that's quite long. She's her the back of her sections panic and and his house is right the end of the pedic in a very long driveway. So the water comes raw and down, Yeah, raised coming down because the foolall is going to my mother's place. She's well in.
Speaker 7: And what is flooding in ord?
Speaker 11: And I said, yeah, you're going to have to change four of it?
Speaker 5: So yeah, so he could you know, in terms of actually fixing it, what he could do is add a curb, right, so it might fall to one side, but then he catches it in with a curb and then directs that down. But then he's got to collect that somewhere as well, right and dispose of it, and all of that is required by law. So that's why I asked if he's got a building consent, I would say that on the building consent, it will show us a particular design for the driveway. And I wonder whether what he's done is not complied with the design for the drive way. He's just gone ahead whack something in in the hope that no one's going to complain, but obviously it is causing flooding. So one option would be to go to him and say, can you show me the design for the driveway please, and then have a look at it, and if it doesn't match up, you know that like if he's saying, it's not my problem, I've just put the driveway, and then you could say, well, look we do have a problem because we're flooding or my mum's flooding, and so I'm not convinced that the driveway is built as per the consent. Yeah, So and then you know, if he's reluctant to play ball again, I'd probably get in touch with counsel. If he's doing a subdivision, there'll be both a resource consent and a building consent.
Speaker 11: The house is already established. But yeah, and already is stablished. It's don't come a year and year and her maybe two years done, but with an increasing rain with it. But just notice got worse and then it's just a fund of the bed that's all coming.
Speaker 5: So on the adjoining property. On the adjoining property, James is, there's still just one dwelling.
Speaker 11: These three in the driveway. That in the driveway feeds two houses on the So the the driveway runs right along the Yeah, it's coming under the fence and flooding into the water.
Speaker 5: And I'd be happy to bet dollars to donuts that the driveway design probably shows either a swale or a curb as catchment and then that should be directed to some controlled storm water. If he hasn't done that, it's it's absolutely his problem, right you just it's a requirement under the property law that you have to control stormwater discharge from your property. He's not doing that, and he's in a breach. So the other person to talk to James would be go to counsel and ask to speak to the resource Consents compliance monitoring officer and ask them to go out.
Speaker 6: And have a look, yes.
Speaker 11: Next week, so very much that no trouble.
Speaker 5: Back, all the best, take care see then frustrating A. I mean, because it's to be blunt. It's not that hard to do a driveway where you are catching the water that falls onto the driveway. It's a hard surface, it's impermeable, it's going to sheet off somewhere. So most driveways will have either a bit of a dish running down one side which will catch the water directed into a catch pit or to a channel grate and then discharge it into stormwater. But just sloping the driveway so it falls to your neighbors is simply not acceptable.
Speaker 1: Take short break back in a moth helping you get those diway projects done to the resident builder with Peter Wolfcat call.
Speaker 5: Talk news sport and with the top of the air coming up shortly but Gerald, good morning.
Speaker 12: Good morning, Yeah, listen to to program and a lot. I've got a problem an older cottage with a corrugated iron roof. The organized now the leadhead nails are going ted leadheads in it, which I wanted to get rid of. They've gone getting rush marks around them, so we pulled them out and there's a little bit of rusty. He needs treating, and I was advised to put the screws in the proper screws with brother to get some big get some big washes that you buy that go around them to increase the area. Ye, what do we how do we treat that? Okay, I can divert the water off the roof for a while enough.
Speaker 6: Yeah sure, yeah, that's what shape.
Speaker 5: Okay, Look, I think the idea would be I agree with you pulling the old lead heads out. And there's a bit of a trick to doing that without damaging the corrigo die. So if you can take the lead heads out, and ideally you want to try and pull those out as straight up as possible, right so that stops it making a bigger hole through the top of the corrugate. So get the lead heads out. In most cases you'll find that if you get them out neatly, the screw that you use with a neoprene washer on it will be enough to cover the hole. And in the occasional one where it doesn't, I would you could add a larger washer if you want to, or just put a dob of silicon in there. When you've pulled the nail out I would be inclined to treat the area with a bit of rust converter and then some russ killed primer, and then eventually you'll put a new acrylic coat over the top. It's job done, So that's how I would approach it. But the key is getting the nail out straight up and not making that whole much bigger radio. Thanks for that, Gerald, all the very best. We are back straight after news, sport and weather measure twice God was but maybe called Pete first video WOLFCAF the resident builder news talk, sa'd be radio. That must be my turn. Oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call. I don't know why someone's texting me about the All Blacks, but.
Speaker 10: Hey, um.
Speaker 5: Can Oh here's sorry, just a completely random text. This's fascinating. Can you recommend a silicon spray to squirt on galvanized chicken wire prevent to that is, preventing the starlings from nesting in the corners of the spouting and under the eaves. The chicken wire will eventually rust being near the coast, but we want to slow it down if possible. The roof and spouting a powder coated metal and are seven years old. Okay, that's not where I thought it was going to go. I would suggest that you rip out that galvanized chicken wire and replace it with plastics, right, because that won't rust and almost anything that you could spray on, you're still going to miss a spot and you're going to get the rust.
Speaker 9: So I do that.
Speaker 5: The reason that I perked up with that one is a place that I look after suddenly has had birds roosting in the veranda roof. And the reason I know that is because there's droppings all over the veranda and the handrail. And I was there the other day and I washed all of that down and I went back a couple of days later and it's all covered in bird pil again. So I'm going to try I've never tried the stuff before, the sort of no bird's gel that you can squirt into these areas and it dissuades them from hanging around there. But I've got to wash it first. So that means today possibly I'll go and do some water blasting, ah, clean all that up, and then apply that gel. If you've had luck with the gel and you've got a moment, just let me quick Text nine to two. Does it actually work? Oh wait, one hundred and eighty ten eighty, let's get amongst the calls, the conversation, Judy, good morning to you.
Speaker 13: Hi there people.
Speaker 14: I just need some advice. I've got a unit, it's a cross cross lease, and I need some advice on a party wall. The next door neighbors have placed their garden on this party wall, and I'm finding there's mold coming through into my bedroom.
Speaker 7: Yep.
Speaker 15: Is this the cause?
Speaker 9: Do you think.
Speaker 5: Possibly? When you say they've placed the garden against it, have they like built a planter box and then filled it with soil and that's against the cladding above the floor level.
Speaker 14: No, it's it's two units. My unit that's lower than their unit, and I've put a fence in between the two units. If you can sort of get the idea and dub that filled all their section up against the party wall. So it's probably about four feet deep.
Speaker 5: And the party wall that you describe, is that part of that is exterior and it backs onto your habitable space.
Speaker 14: Yes, that's right.
Speaker 5: And then they've backfilled against that, so there's soil where there wasn't soil before. Yes, And the leaking has come about after they've done that.
Speaker 15: I think.
Speaker 14: So it happened before I actually came here. I haven't noticed it until probably a couple of years, and now that is causing a lot of Well, I think it is there's mold in that corner where the party wall is.
Speaker 5: I think it's not an unreasonable assumption to make. I mean, if the building when it was designed had you know, the wall was there and lots of fresh air on one side of it, and now there isn't any fresh air and there's lots of soil pushed up against it, is going to hold moisture. And if there was either no or inadequate waterproofing against that wall, then yes, you can imagine the water is held there by the soil it's being deposited, and then that's literally just soaking through the block work and then it will saturate the space, and even if it's not a leak, it will introduce so much moisture that it will give the right conditions for mold to grow. So I think you're probably onto something given that it's a cross lease title, unless in the cross lease agreement there is such a thing as exclusive rights to a certain area. Yes, there is, ah Okay, that's interesting. I'm just wondering whether that might mean that it's a little bit more challenging for you to intervene and to go to the neighbor and say, look, I need you to remove this because it's causing issues with my building.
Speaker 14: Yes, the exclusive rights are that I can actually go on to their property on that side and they can come onto mine. But now there's a fence in between the two and the back filled the garden. That can't happen, right, Not that I want to anyway, but I just know what it is I can do to get this removed off the party wall.
Speaker 5: Look, I think from what you have described, it's not unreasonable to say, hey, look, particularly if your floor level is lower than the ground level that they've created. It wasn't the original ground level. They've created it by backfilling it, and they've put soil up against what's the wall. Is it just a concrete block wall, standard concrete block wall.
Speaker 14: Yeah, it's the nineteen seventies units that's got there, just the block wall.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And so there's no waterproofing membrane against that block wall. There's probably no drainage at the bottom of that block wall.
Speaker 14: That's correct.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Okay, look, I think that's most likely the cause. So I mean, theoretically they could excavate all of that material out, thoroughly waterproof the wall, add drainage, and backfill it and not have that cause a problem to you.
Speaker 14: I have asked them, and I have got quotes which I've given them. Of course they are refusing to pay, but I just point of.
Speaker 16: What my rights are.
Speaker 5: I think the strongest point would be that when the building was constructed, the ground level was lower, and that they have altered or someone has altered, whether it was their or the previous owner, it kind of doesn't matter. It's their responsibility. I think that he was never intended to be a retaining wall, which is what it's become. Right, So a block wall is a block wall, and a retaining wall might be made out of block, but it doesn't make it a retaining wall. And because it was never designed to be a retaining wall, it's causing moisture or moisture is accumulating there, and so I think I would think that you do have a right to say it needs to be removed because it was not there originally, and by making a change and not allowing for drainage and waterproofing. Your building is suffering as a result, it is.
Speaker 14: How can I enforce that If they're not willing to actually do anything.
Speaker 5: I suspect it becomes a matter for lawyers in terms of enforcing your rights under the Property Act.
Speaker 14: Okay, yeah, all right, So you just think I need to go forward with a lawyer to actually get this.
Speaker 5: I think if they're going to be unreasonable, then yes, probably. Okay, you've got to do something that's enforceable.
Speaker 14: Yes, that's right.
Speaker 5: Okay, sorry to hear that.
Speaker 14: Yeah, it's a bad one, but.
Speaker 5: I think you're on the right track. Good luck with that. Take care of all of this study, Bye bye. Actually talking about cross leases next week on the program, Ben Thompson, who is a lawyer who specializes in cross lease. And when I say specializes, like when I talked to him a little while ago before he came on the show a couple of weeks months ago, he'd just been presenting to the Law Society about cross leases. Anyway, we had a great session with him last time he was on, and I've reached out to him to say, look, could you join us again next Sunday on the program, so after eight o'clock next week and can we take some questions. So next week, if you've got a specific question about cross leases, we can get some answers from a lawyer who specializes, and that Ben will be with me on the show next Sunday. Really looking forward to that. Coming upteen minutes after seven round quarter to eight, we're going to catch up with Mike Olds from Razine Construction. Good timing because earlier this week, I think it was it was Wednesday morning and I was at my desk doing I've got a pap work in the phone rings and it was like a number that i'd recognize, and the guy goes, oh, hi, it's I won't say his name, and I thought I would reach out because I listened to the show, and I'm like, okay, just to be blunt, my number is not easy to find for a reason. Anyway, he called and said, look, I'm interested in a property that's up for sale and it's got rock coat on the exterior, which is a Razine Construction system's render on the exterior. Can you tell me much about it? And I said, well, look, yeah, I think so because these things have got records, right, because I know the people at Razine Construction, and they'll probably have some records of the job. It's a two thy twelve constructed house by well known builder in a relatively new subdivision. So I contacted the mic at Razine Construction, said, look, this chepie's phoned me and I'll help him out. Can you have a look on your records, and within minutes he was able to bring up who the contractor was when the job was done, what the building consent was records of all of the inspections done not by counsel but by their own team, right, so their own people go and inspect the work, Photographs of it under construction, so showing the fixing, showing the flashings, showing the sealant, showing ground clearances, showing the ventilation, all of that sort of thing, and then a certificate to say that the building has been completed and all of that is kept. And what really impressed me about that is I'm struggling to think of another cladding system in the country that would have that level of detail about it. And if we're moving towards self certification, if we're moving towards being able to build Grannie flats without having council do the inspections. I think that's an example of what companies should be providing if your product's going to be used in a situation where it doesn't get or doesn't require a building consent. Takes some comments on that too.
Speaker 6: Morning to you, sir, Good morning.
Speaker 9: How are you good, buddy?
Speaker 10: In yourself good?
Speaker 17: I've been the last few wns. I've been running around the city in him open here looking for stuff to pull. We've got going to put in this plank flooring, and the hyprin one we're going to.
Speaker 10: Put in, and.
Speaker 17: Some of the floorboards. The flooring in the kitchen is just flaking air that chipboard.
Speaker 7: When you.
Speaker 17: And I've been eblewhere to get this something to level the floor off? I asked him about you know this floor leveler, and I can't use it on wooden floors, don't matter which one it is, the multi purpose one of that do if you can't use them on wooden fools. So I want to use the build this book for Can I use that instead?
Speaker 5: I think, well, I suppose one of the concerns is that nothing It's it's going to be really hard for something to stick to the timber floor, right, it won't bond and then potentially you put your new laminate floor, your hybrid floor over the top, and then the material underneath that you've used for leveling delaminates and starts to rumble, right that that's what the concern would be. I I'm wondering whether, like how how out of level is it?
Speaker 17: What would say.
Speaker 5: How out of level is the floor?
Speaker 17: Like obviously having all but there's just a few dips, you know, it's the chip board is coming out, you know, faking then yeah, sure, and we're going to put that underfilled under rod as well, because quite but one's got that rubbish stuff underneath on it or really and we're going to put that in the kitchen?
Speaker 3: Yeah, sure, we're going to.
Speaker 17: Put that kind fill.
Speaker 5: I wonder whether you know this is your house right that you're doing it, So let's say it doesn't work, it's only you to blame, Okay. So I'm just looking at this like, if you're working for someone, you'd arguably want to do it absolutely right because you don't want to someone to call it up and say it didn't work. But in this instance, because if you're skimming I don't know, five or six millimeters of if LC over the top of that. What you might look for is to see whether there's like a primer and adhesion primer that you could apply to the particle board that will help the floor leveling compound to bind to it. I'll be interest because I do know a couple of flooring guys who might have a product that will stick to timber, and possibly the laminate or the hybrid flooring manufacturer or supplier might be able to recommend because it can't be an uncommon problem, right, Timber floors can be as out of levels as a concrete slab, so there may well be a product product If there isn't and you used FLC and you used it sparingly and only the worst few areas, if there was a problem with it later on, well yeah, I've.
Speaker 17: Been aund everywhere and a wrong m Yeah, we've got it. You know, a multipurpose one. Windy at the Nakoy had a look on the computer and said it said, no, it can't be used on board warden flooring, So why use a multi purpose? One will make a multi that's right.
Speaker 5: If it's only.
Speaker 17: Must papers means you can use it anyway.
Speaker 10: I mean.
Speaker 17: Yeah, So.
Speaker 10: And there we go.
Speaker 5: Here we go rd X K sixty five.
Speaker 13: R X A r D e x.
Speaker 5: Oh, yeah, formulated to adhere to timber and flexible enough to accommodate timber movement. You do a primer and then you do an Ardix floor leveling compound. There you go, problem solved.
Speaker 3: Ardix A R D e x who makes it?
Speaker 5: Ardix do that's the company?
Speaker 9: So A R D e X O A d X.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, just just jump online see if you can find a local supply. It might be a specialist store, it might be a tiling shop or possibly just sooner you're called.
Speaker 17: I've been to all those places, you know they deal and floor and they can tell me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, look Ardis, I mean I know the brand. I've used their products over the years. Just get in contact with them and and it's a Ardix K sixty five will probably help you out there, all right, make all the very best problem take care about it. Take care, uh andy, just hold the line, but it will come to you in just a moment. It is twenty three minutes after seven.
Speaker 3: Doing other house storting. The garden asked Pete for ahead.
Speaker 1: The resident builder with Peter Wolfkere calls you and a.
Speaker 5: Couple of texts as well a craggy This is frustrating. Hey, pek, my neighbor has dire did new spouting from the three story townhouse or three story house onto the carport roof onto the lawn into a ditch that he dug next to our joint fence. The paving area is gushing rain water from the carports, spouting lawn floods next to this joint fence, So the fence between the two properties where he's dug a ditch for the spouting water from his roof. I've spoken to him many times for quite a while now, and he does nothing. I told the Wellington Council and they've told me it's a civil matter and I'll need to take him to the tribunal or to court. I can't afford that I agree with your sentiments. I mean, the fact is the neighbor needs to control the stormwater right and it's absolutely their responsibility and obligation to do exactly that in terms of enforcing it. If the building is older and might not have a building consent, then it's hard to go back to the council and go hey, look it's a problem with the building consent. The conditions of the building consent haven't been met, so I'd look into that first. Actually, is it relatively new? Does it have a building consent? The building consent will detail how the storm water is mitigated or controlled, and if they haven't done those controls then it is a council issue. Thereafter, Yeah, you probably have to go to the tribunal, but getting enforcement on that sort of thing is difficult and if people don't want to do the right thing. Interestingly enough, though, I'm just thinking about this water care in Auckland, who to be blunts seemed to be doing a hell of a lot better job than Wellington Water does have actually taken the initiative of sending people out to pick up on these sorts of things. So a downpipe that discharges onto the ground or onto a pathway with no obvious controls, they'll literally go up, knock on the door and go, hey, we've noticed that you're going to have a bit of a problem here, or even if you don't, your neighbors probably will. What are you going to do about it? So they're being proactive, which I think is great to be fair, because you know, in these times, with the amount of water that we're getting. It's increasingly a problem if you and I, as individual homeowners don't take responsibility for the water that we are collecting. Oh eight one hundred eighty ten eighty the number to call glen us.
Speaker 15: Hello, Oh how are you? I've lost my boys?
Speaker 5: Sorry, I'm sure sure you found it again just a little bit.
Speaker 15: And my birthday to day too, so that's oh, happy birthday. I know what a data happen in. I've got a Healthy homes form sure. In two thousand and nine, they insulated this seading with fluff. The thickness is two point nine and it's got pulleys to acrylic carpet on the floor. You can't go under the house, and that is one point one point three meters. Now this carpet on the floor is and he's sitting on the concrete on the concrete underneath. Because I've got an open planned lounge and kitchen here upstairs, there's a got a fan heater. That said, my bedroom's got a heater. The spare room hasn't got a heater. They put like a heat pump in, but it's got air conditioner written on it right by the front door. Basically, the house is still cold. It's pubably because it's concrete. I'm not used to concrete houses. Now, my power was rising up like a warmer than what the house is at the moment. I don't know what to do. It's more's paying power for nothing, you know.
Speaker 5: Look, this is one of the challenges with the heating requirement for the Healthy Home standards is that you know, in order to comply, the landlord will need to put in a fixed form of heating that can get your room to or that the living room only the living room. But if the living room has a staircase or is open plan, then it ends up being quite a large area.
Speaker 15: To thirty feet long from the front door to the ranch ludders here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but it is the house to story.
Speaker 15: Yeah, it's one of those then no, but joined on to people.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but then see for that. If you're doing a Healthy Homes assessment on the heating, you need to calculate the floor space of the living area, and if that includes the dining area in the kitchen, that's got to be included in it. And then because it's open plan with a staircase, you have to calculate the space of the staircase and the upstairs landing until you get to the doors right to any of the rooms upstairs, So that ends up being quite a large space. If there's also relatively low levels of insulation, then what tends to happen is your heating requirement will will go up quite a lot. So I wonder whether you're the tenant not the.
Speaker 15: Years here.
Speaker 5: Okay, so you're the tenant. So what you could do is ask the landlord to provide an updated heating.
Speaker 16: Calculation in front of me at the moment.
Speaker 5: Okay, and what does it give you?
Speaker 15: Nine when they put the insulation in. But this is it was stated on the thirties, but the insulation was put in on two thousand and nine in the ceiling.
Speaker 5: Which is fine. But remember the Healthy Homes legislation didn't exist in two thousand and nine, right.
Speaker 15: So well that's what they've got written down here. Yeah, they say it fits regulation to the house. But because it's so big, it's probably why it's so cold.
Speaker 17: You know.
Speaker 5: What I suspect is that the if you did a proper calculation of the heating requirement, what form of heating you've got is probably insufficient and needs to be topped up. And that's I think an obligation on the landlord to do that in order to stay compliant.
Speaker 15: Yeah, they put the machine of the heat pump in the backyard behind me and full of weeds in the garden, so having it in the front of the house. They've got it at the back of the house.
Speaker 5: But it doesn't really matter where it is as long as Yeah, but they do need to ventilate, so if the weeds are growing up in front of it, maybe you need to just cut the weeds back a little bit. Yeah, all right, So it'll be about the heating requirements, and I wonder whether they haven't done a great job of the requirements and therefore you're not able to generate the heat. The problem is, and this is often talked about I guess for tenants and landlords, is you can put the heat and requirement in, but to run it requires power. Power is expensive, and so people not to run it. So you can put it in and people won't turn it on. That's what happens too. Robin, greetings to you, Good morning, Good morning, Robin.
Speaker 16: I've got a query regarding the insulation of my house, sure which I bought in nineteen eighty six, and it was the nineteen seventy five brickhouse New World at the time.
Speaker 7: Yep.
Speaker 16: And the insulation of pink bats, which has been very good. Now I'm just wondering whether there's any point in putting a loose layer of a number of more pink bats over the top. I have got two heat pumps, one in the lounge and one up the front hall, which are very effective. No problem with those, but I'm just wondering whether I go to the expense of putting.
Speaker 5: More insulation into the roof.
Speaker 16: That's the roof.
Speaker 5: I would heartily recommend that you do exactly that. So if the insulation was installed all those years ago, and the pink bats and it's nothing. It's not derogatory about the pink bats, but they do sag over time. They settle, right, so the actual insulation value decreases over time. Because they settle, they don't have as much loft. So leave it in there and get an insulation installer to do another layer of insulation over the top of it, and ideally over the top of all of the timber that's in there, so the bottom court of the trusses and as far out to the top plate around the perimeter as they possibly can do have that installed. That will make a significant difference to keeping the heat into the house. Okay, yep, definitely a good idea.
Speaker 3: Alrighty all, bestie.
Speaker 5: Robin, you take care.
Speaker 7: Bye.
Speaker 5: We'll come back with Jeremy in just a moment. If you've got a question, eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number.
Speaker 1: Whether you're painting the ceiling, fixing the fence, or wondering how to fix that hole in the wall. Give Peter wolf capercall on eighty the resident builder on youth Dogs' b Right, Oh.
Speaker 5: Eight hundred eighty ten eighty, then number to call peak the coller with the heat pump problem. I'm exactly sure whether it is actually a heat pump. Should ask the landlord when it was last service, and if she keeps the filters clean, that does make a big difference. Yeah, you're absolutely right, Michael. It's on my list for a couple of places I look after to have the servicing done. It'll probably extend the life of the heat pump, and certainly they perform a lot better if you clean them and look after them. Jeremy, Hello, good morning, Peter. How are we very well? What's up?
Speaker 7: Good man?
Speaker 13: Good so at the moment, good rental properly in that. Oh and the nineteen sixties build frickin' tile, like really good home in general on piles and the back patio. It's just like cobbles laid on soil and sand. I've been like that for like years, you know, but it just it's always so damp and just you know, just wet. And so I've hide one of those chained trench and yeah, bro and trench the back, the back, the whole in for the house at back fence, laid on one ten overcall and chucked and some I forget the grade, but Scoria basse so about two hundred yeah, about two hundred worth a Scoria laid the overcare and then put scorer on top. Now there's no suspits or or or drainage like that I can feed into. Now, can I obviously obviously it's got to have fall, But can I create some sort of like scorier kind of kind of drainage pit at all?
Speaker 5: I mean, look, I've got to say that the best solution would be to try and find stormwater, your own storm water and tee into it, which technically I think would require it consent but anyway, we'll put that to one side for now. So ideally, what you want to do is have that drainage coil dropping into a catch pit, which will allow the sediment to sink to the bottom and only clean water to go into the storm water.
Speaker 7: Light.
Speaker 5: So that's that's your gold plated solution. Let's say you can't do that, or it's you know, the stormwater's miles away or something like that. I guess what you could do is do a soakage pit. I would suggest that you try and move that away from the boundary so that if it did get inundated, it doesn't impact on the neighbor. And we've been talking about that where people don't control this stormwater and it impacts the neighbor. So and one of the keys to doing those soakage pits is to so dig you know, a decent sized hole, and we're talking like, you know, met deep met a square sort of thing, take all of the material out line that with geotextile cloth, right, which is like a matting that you'd put under driveways and behind retaining walls and those sorts of things, and then fill that with scoria. And when I've done them, I actually take like a couple of meters of that drainage coil or black snake, whatever one you're using, and I loop that in there. So I've got like a volume that can't be crushed if you imagine, right, Because what typically often happens is you'll run your drainage coil into the scoria, but then it kind of just hits the scoria, right. What you want is for it to have some space to percolate out through the scoria. So I do a big loop of drainage coil in there and then fill it with scoria, fold the bittom cloth or the geotextile cloth over the top, and then put your soil back over there. And that if you're in the right sort of environment where you don't have heavy clays and that sort of thing, the water, because you're only collecting groundwater, will drain away and percolate back into there. Yeah, but ideally you'd want that to be a reasonable way away from the neighbor. And you know, if you're really in heavy, heavy clays, then in the end the clay is just going to hold it and it's going to fill up with water and not actually go anywhere. So you've got to be a bit reasonable about where you can actually put it.
Speaker 13: Yes, sweet, I mean like it's not like weat weat wheat. It's like essentially it's we're actually copecting the drainage from the neighbor. So it's kind of yeah, it's kind of we just kind of want.
Speaker 7: To dry it out.
Speaker 5: So and look, even the fact that you're collecting some of that water and running it through a length of the drainage coil will help with the moisture that's held in the in the soil around the patio on that sort of thing. So just just having the field drains themselves, the French drains themselves, will help.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I mean French, it's just right out already, you know.
Speaker 5: So yeah, direck that into a into a soakage pit. But the key to the soakage pit is having that geotextile cloth. Right, the old ones that I've dug up, where they've just dug a hole put scoria in it, they end up just filling with sediment and then they don't work. So the is the key.
Speaker 13: Yeah, Now, when when when I relay the patio tiles like by three two fifty, just old like terracotta looking one. Now, can I should I should I run like a sand or some sort of like gap over the scoria between the cobbles and the soil, or and it'll still.
Speaker 5: Move around a little bit if you can be bothered. I would actually do that scene. I'd do a scene in cement mix like a slurry. So compact. Yeah, compact the base down really well and then literally bed your pavers down into a sand and cement mortar bed and that will keep it level for a lot longer than just putting it down onto the sand over the top of the scory.
Speaker 13: Yes, and what the natural is, the natural moisture will just harden the cement in the sand and.
Speaker 5: It'll just bond. Or what you can do is do the sand and cement and then just before you lay the tile, just take a little handful of cement and scatter it over the top and you'll see it change color because it'll hit the moisture. And then when you bed the tile down over the top, it'll it'll help bond.
Speaker 13: Gotcha, what's the ratio to sand cement?
Speaker 5: Six to one six one six scoops of sand one of cement. That'll be a nice strong mix.
Speaker 7: And the where you go.
Speaker 10: Take care.
Speaker 5: Actually, that'll that ratio is exactly what I'll be using tomorrow when I mix up some concrete for the fence posts. So I'm just gonna go. I don't know, the bags are great, but I kind of like old school, so I'll go and get some builders mix. I'll get a bag of cement, the mixer out, or not even the mixer. I'll just do it in the wheelbarrow and then six to one, nice strong mix, not too much water.
Speaker 18: Bingo.
Speaker 5: Job done. That's tomorrow sorted. Right, We're gonna take a break. We're gonna talk to Mike Olds from Razine Construction straight after the break.
Speaker 3: Squeaky door or squeaky floor.
Speaker 1: Get the right advice from Peter Wolfcare, the resident builder on News Talks.
Speaker 5: HEB you and News Talks heb so interesting sort of situation for me this week where just doing some paperwork at home, phone rings number that I didn't know, not a hidden name, but just a number that I didn't know, and talk to a delightful gentleman in christ Church who said, look, I'm reaching out because I listened to the show. I've heard you talk about different claddings and I'm looking at a house. In fact, I'm looking at a house that I might buy this afternoon. The auctions twelve o'clock. We're talking at like eight thirty in the morning. And it's got rock coat as the exterior render. Basically all of the house bar a little bit of weatherboard, was all done with that. Do you know much about it? And I said, well, yeah, I do. I know the guys quite well. But also if you tell me the address, I can go to Razine Construction, who supervise these jobs, provide the product, and they've got records of it. And so that's exactly what I did, quite genuinely. What I was surprised about was the level of detail held by the manufacturer, let's say Razine Construction, about each individual job that they do. Because the only way you can do rock coat is by using a licensed applicator. They then have phenomenally detailed processes to record every step of that job. Flashings, installation, cavity batons, type for fixings, whether or not they've sealed the cuts, all of these sorts of things is all recorded. That was all available so I could phone this gentleman back later in the day and so, yeah, I've seen the records don't have a problem with it. So a person who runs all of this is Mike Olds, and Mike, thanks for your time on Wednesday, So.
Speaker 8: You know what I was.
Speaker 5: It's not completely surprising, but I was still quite impressed, to be honest, about the level of detail that you guys at Reseen Construction hold about every single clouding job that you do. And this is obviously something that you've built up over time. So that's the process, and every single job gets recorded.
Speaker 6: Yeah, absolutely, Pete. And it was a sort of perfect scenario when the person that contacted you wanted to know some information that normally, as I think we spoke the vendor would normally have a lot of information. Yeah, for potential for our purchases and this particular project in christ Church. Yeah, you gave us the address and if it's one of our systems. I mean a lot of people, a lot of projects would potentially have a specification on a project, but sometimes that specification doesn't get achieved. So we do we do it again. Pine calls and people saying I've got your clouding system on our home, but I want to see if it's in the system, and if it's not in the system, we can generally say that possibly the even the specification has been changed and it's unbeknown to the original owners or even potential purchases. But part of our process and it started way back and I think two thousand and five we really got into this, and it involves a substrate review on all residential projects where we go and check the cavity bats, the flashings and this photographic evidence. There's a checklist that we go through and then we go through and do a final review in terms of workmanship detailing other sub trades. The first one is probably the most important in terms of the substrate stall that deals with other sub trades and pipe penetrations, electrical penetrations, root flashing connections where we connect with other other trades as well. But as you generally find where there's connections with other trades, they don't they do their trade and we do our trade. That there's there is definite crossovers and that's that's some of our biggest focus focus areas. But it stays on that file on that particular project, goes through for the for the life of the project and it's always available. We also it also flows through in terms of the warranties, so that whole documentation package. Then we send that out to the clients. Then in seven seven years we actually touch base with that particular residence are known. If it's the same home for the original owner, we send them some messaging around starting to budget for general maintenance purposes. We're looking at repaints and all all that sort of good stuff. So we sort of customers for life, is probably the best way to describe it. And it gives us because you never remember everything.
Speaker 7: You know, you should look back at a job you.
Speaker 6: Did fifteen twenty years ago and trying to recall a who did the job, and b what was a color, what was the finish, all of those sorts of things just coming very very handy down the track, and you've got a really really good record.
Speaker 5: And it was the level of detail that in the recording that really again really impressed me in the sense that you know, there's a tremendous surety for a homeowner many years later. So this is a person this house was built in twenty twelve, all of those records existed. This person's interested to know, you know, who did the work, was it done well? Is there a record of the actual the installation and you know, how do I know that the flashings were installed all of these sorts of things and you can find it. And the other thing I guess that I'm thinking about is that you know, potentially we're going to move to bards, a situation where more dwellings can be built without necessarily requiring a council consent. Therefore you're not having council inspectors. And if you're going to own one of those properties, how do you know that the work has been done well? And that level of reporting and review is kind of like a template for what we might see in the future for all sorts of building performance systems.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I absolutely absolutely think this is this is the this is the bar for, particularly for supplies and a market to go yeah and say this is this is the expectation, because I don't think it's reasonable for for manufacturers by and large to say we understand that the materials have been supplied and installed in accordance, because we generally get the first phone call if there is ever an issue, and if you're just reliant on just supply and not taking into regard the skill and the competencies of the people that are installing your products.
Speaker 7: Then, yeah, it up a really big gap.
Speaker 6: And I think this is something that's just so normal for our business and our contractors, our LBP contractor network, that it's a great practice and process for them as well.
Speaker 7: You know, we've got it to the stage.
Speaker 6: We've actually got it to the stage now where all the LVP contractors can undertake and do these reviews with the digital information photography, all the checks and balances themselves on single story dwellings. You know, they go through and do that when we get into the more complex projects we get involved. So yeah, it's pretty comprehensive and it's a good backup and it saves a lot of racking the brain in terms of memories of what what actually happened and who did what.
Speaker 17: You know.
Speaker 6: They also they also put notes on the project files just in terms of conversations that have been held about someone said this or someone said that. You know, there's a there's a number of things, so I can avoid those types of you know, a few years time.
Speaker 7: So it's really really works.
Speaker 5: Really appreciate your time this morning, we're going to rush for the news. Good luck with the golf today. He's not playing, he's looking after his boys playing. We'll come back and talk a little bit more about all things building in construction straight after the news, sport and weather here at News Talks EDB.
Speaker 1: Helping you get those DIY projects done right. The resident Filder with Peter WOLFCAF call OH eight hundred eighty eighty Youth Talks EDB.
Speaker 5: A righty Oh, welcome back to the show. Oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call. Will take your building questions right through till eight thirty. Then we're into the garden with the red climb past as always at around eight thirty this morning. Just a heads up too next week on the show at this time Ben Thompson, who is a lawyer who specializes in cross leases and property law in general, but cross leases very particularly, will be available and we're going to we've had a conversation with him before just kind of general stuff about cross leases. But we'll cover the same topic next week on the show. But you can text a new questions, so if you've got specific questions about your cross lease or a cross lease that you're involved with, then fire them through. We'll do that next Sunday on the show. And my thanks again to Mike OL's from Razine Construction Systems for making himself available just before again, following on from this completely random conversation I had with someone the other day, rang me and said, look, I'm interested in this property. I'm about to buy it. They're an older couple looking for a retirement sort of property, low maintenance, single level, all of those sorts of things, and said, do you know much about the clouding system? And so when I rang Mike, all of the records was there. And what struck me, particularly at a time where there's a lot of discussion now about government allowing up to seventy square meters of building to be granny flats to be constructed without necessarily requiring a building consent, which means, how do you know you've got a good building right? Because typically the default position has been well, because you get a building can and because a council inspector comes out and has a look at it, you feel confident that the building, once it's got its final inspection, got a code of compliance, is going to be okay. It's going to comply with the code. So if we're not going to have counsel there as the gatekeeper, let's say to compliance, how do you know it's going to comply? And then it shifts the responsibility, let's say, on to individual contractors or suppliers of materials to say, look, I think it's it's okay.
Speaker 10: How do you know.
Speaker 5: Well, that's where you need good systems and checks and reviews and paperwork basically to ensure that compliance. And these guys are they've been doing it for twenty years, so good on them. I say, oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty. Apparently someone else text through and said, look, we do a similar sort of system and we've got these certified contractors to do the work. So a lot of these products and I went to buy something, I don't know, a little waterproofing product and they said, ah, you are licensed applicator and I said, no, I'm not, and they said, we're not going to sell it to you. That's fine, It's absolutely fine. You know, if you're going to have a product that is going to be critical to the building performance, some of those products will then only be sold to people who are licensed to install them. And I think that's a sensible safeguard. Quick text as well, can you please ask your rock coat specialist what painting systems required for upkeep? How often should it be repainted? Typically? You know houses should be washed every year anyway. And in terms of recoat for razine construction or for rock coat, I think the recommendation is sort of six to seven years, and it'll be razine X two hundred for the top coat. Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty. Let's get amongst it, Roger, good morning.
Speaker 18: Morning, morning, thanks, no problem. On the topic of birds, yes under eaves, Yes, I've got a large covered deck. When we moved into the house, there was a couple of pairs of birds that were determined to put their nests there. After knocking the nests down a few times, realized that wasn't working. Long story short, I climbed up a ladder and the one I put a round a tennis ball another one I stuck a lemon and filled the nest up with a foreign body who sat back and watched the birds come back, and they were not happy. They perched on top of them for a little while and made a lot of very upset noise. Basically, I'm glad I didn't speak bird, because it sounded like they were swearing in about live different dialects.
Speaker 10: Oh yeah.
Speaker 18: They were not happy. Yes, oh yes, that result. They didn't come back. They abandoned the location as an unsuitable neighborhood. Following year, one of them tried again. I did this thing, and same result, and six years I've never had a bird under any of the eaves here.
Speaker 5: Interesting, okay, because this was something. I went and washed the deck down last week and in lo and behold them back there again the other day and I'm like, what the you know, it's all the bird poops back again. And then I look up and I think, oh, look at the little buggers. They're good on them. They got to find a home. Everybody's got to live somewhere. They're just not going to live at that place.
Speaker 9: So yeah, well you can.
Speaker 18: Keep knocking the nest down and they'll keep coming back. So I just made it so they decided themselves not to come here. I've told this to friends.
Speaker 9: They sort of like, yeah, give it a try.
Speaker 18: They did saw them a while later and they go, yeah, no more birds.
Speaker 5: Good stuff. I'm going to have a crack at using one of these gels that apparently dissuade the birds from coming back. So I've got to clean the area thoroughly knock the nest out, clean the area. So I'm can to do a bit of water blasting and then I will try this gel and we'll see how that goes. Appreciate the call, Roger, and thank you. We're on the same page and you're right the determination of birds to come back, and it took me about three years to beat them at my own place where they were hopping into the spouting on the bullnose veranda and then ducking their heads underneath the corrugated iron, jumping up over the facerboard and into a little gap that was there, a little safite that ran around there, and they were roosting in there, but they were very, very determined. Appreciate the call, Roger. Thank you very much. Steve. Good morning.
Speaker 10: Can I Steve Phillip? Oh yeah, get hey, yeah, look I just got a question. Can I talk about a cross Lea's situation?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 10: Yeah, absolutely, okay, right, right, look, got this project and because I'm very interested in the hearing from.
Speaker 5: Is it ben at A the next week on the show.
Speaker 10: Is his last name Thompson? It is yep? Okay, good hey, listen, because we've got this situation where we've got a house that's going to be demoed. It's a plaster house and then rebuilt, right, And so the house is being designed and it's on the southern side. It's on a cross lease house section with the front house being a villa on the front. Now, the people on the front, the cross lease neighbors have to sign off on the new plans for the rebuilt of the house because of the you know what's required, and they are not wanting the rare property to have any windows on the northern face that's facing their house, right. And now, from my understanding, you can't object unreasonably. You have to be reasonable in your objections, right, And so they're only their concern is that they think the neighbors in the new house would windows on At the moment, the house doesn't have that. It's more of a single level and a large roof. So all they're looking at the moment as a roof no windows. The new house will be a double level, it will have windows, and it'll have windows on the on that on the northern face that will peer into their backyard. But it's on the southern side, so the light's not being blocked at all, and the house hasn't even close to them, so it complies with all the other rigs. The only objection is that they don't want any windows. They don't want any glass facing their backyard, and I would have thought that.
Speaker 5: Would be the questions. Is that reasonable?
Speaker 10: Yeah, you could understand if the house is blocking out some sure, nor it's on the southern side and the house is a fair ways back. It's actually ten meters back from the boundary, so it's not even close. Biness factors, They've just got this be in their bonnet. They've got their backyard.
Speaker 5: At the moment, they don't have any I guess uish is going to be around. How do you enforce reasonableness?
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's what I like that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but look, I'm happy to keep a note of this, and look, if you'd like to text through again next Sunday when Ben's actually available, that that would be a great question. But yeah, trying to enforce reasonableness. Gee, that's it's a tricky one, isn't it.
Speaker 17: You know.
Speaker 5: I mean we've all met people who are just downright ornery and just won't be reasonable.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, we're all.
Speaker 10: We should be allowed to have your sunlight, right, you should be able to have your your son, your neighbor shouldn't be able to tell you just because they're worried about it. A few people peering out windows and look.
Speaker 5: I guess you know, listening to what you're saying. If it's ten meters away, then you could also do some planting on the boundary. It's not like it's one meter away and three meters up in the air and looking straight into there. So it would seem that there is some way of being a little bit reasonable around that. Really appreciate that. We'll put that to Ben Thompson who is from Pigeon Judge Lawyers and a specialist in Crossley, so he's going to be available to answer some questions text questions next week on the show. Really looking forward to that. Oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty, would take a short break. We'll be back with Peter after the break.
Speaker 1: Measa twice God was, but maybe called Pete first, feed your wolfcab the Resident Builder News Talk.
Speaker 7: Sa'd be.
Speaker 5: Now, if you're into DIY, and you're bound to be because you're listening to me right now, you need to know about the Diy Revolution that's been almost fifty years in the making. It's you do It Kitchens. That's you Duit, the DIY kitchen specialists that offer incredibly affordable, superior quality kitchens that are proudly key we made. The secret is you do its unique you Size It design system that allows you to customize kitchen cabinets or all cabinets at no extra cost with no impact on delivery times. You do It lets you design your kitchen yourself so you get exactly what you want, choosing from over thirty five color and finish options. Once you've made your choices on the you do It website, you just click send and then in just seven days, everything you need is dispatch to your door. Assembly is easy, and there's even a local help center with Kiwi DIY experts for any advice that you might need. Get the kitchen you want, design it yourself and save thousands. That's the kind of Kiwi ingenuity that we all love. You do It, that's Dui Kitchens.
Speaker 7: That do it for you.
Speaker 5: You do It dot co dot NZ news Talk said, b as it happens, I actually put in a U do It. We did one shivers what I mean. Twenty fourteen, I was working for a client who had purchased a property. The kitchen was slightly outdated. They wanted to do something quickly to get it ready for them to move into, and I said to them, well, we'll give this you do it a call and a try. So I ended up taking the measurements myself of the kitchen, chatting with the owner about what they wanted, ordered it. We put it in ourselves. Worked very well, I have to say, And funnily enough, I've been back at that house doing some more just regular maintenance work recently. Kitchen still they're still working fine. Oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call, just my own experience of it. Hey Peter, good morning to.
Speaker 19: You, and good morning do you, Peter.
Speaker 5: Great.
Speaker 19: So we've got a small house that's been converted into a retail shop on the main road. The question I've got is does a Healthy Homes rules mean that we need to supply a heat pump in that situation or does it just apply to accommodation.
Speaker 5: I would think it's only accommodation because essentially what it's about is the Healthy Homes requirements relate to It's part of the Residential Tenancies Amendment Act. So if it's not a residential tenancy, then it basically it's irrelevant. Right, So if you're using what was a residential property for a commercial purpose a shop or an office or something like that, then no, I don't see how if there's no tenancy agreement in place, then I guess you don't need to apply with the Healthy Home standards.
Speaker 7: That's what I thought.
Speaker 19: But someone suggested to me that the rules might have changed from one July. No, no, that Google I couldn't find anything.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 5: No, what happened on the first of July is that this is a piece of legislation that's had a really long gestation, right, so it was signalled gosh, I think as far back as twenty seventeen. Then there was a whole series of deadlines. Certain types of dwellings needed to comply by certain dates, and then there were always exemptions. So, for example, if you had a sitting tenant in a property and maybe they'd been there for five years, right, you didn't need to comply with the regulations until they moved out or until they renewed their tendancy. And if they just went onto a periodic, they wouldn't renew it, right. So so in effect. You might have had a long term tenant in a residential property up until the first of July, so six days ago that that building didn't need to comply because the tenant never moved out. That exemption has ended, right, So from the first of July, every single residential property, including state houses, all need to comply with the healthy home standards from now. That's that's the change that you might have been talking about. Great listen, Thank you very much, Pleasure all the best, pleasure to take care your new stork seed b oh, good point. Just quick text. We were talking with Robin who's in an older sort of nineteen seventy house had some insulation, but insulation standards there were pretty poor, to be blunt to the lady who was asking about putting up bats on top of old bats, or more insulation over the existing one in her ceiling if she has a community services card. There are all sorts of government grants for that kind of stuff, and the cost is actually really cheap, and there are many companies that do it, and believe me, it's definitely worthwhile. Plus they'll also do underfloor installation if possible, and the vapor barrier onto the floor from Ron, Thanks very much, and you're absolutely right. There's quite a lot of support available if you're in the right category for that. And you've got a hats off Taika, who run the Warmer Homes program. The actual number of dwellings, and I was surprised by this because I talk about this quite a lot at different seminars and presentations and that sort of thing, and I had always assumed that there was a significant like hundreds of thousands of New Zealand homes that are either completely uninsulated or poorly insulated. Talking with ECA who measure this, they actually think that the number of houses that are really poorly insulated is possibly down in the one hundred, one hundred and fifty thousand dwellings. Now there's about two million dwellings in New Zealand, there's about five hundred it's almost six hundred thousand rental properties in New Zealand. So if we're down to a nub of about somewhere, be nice if it was zero. But realistically, there has been actually great progress for most of our housing stock to add some insulation where it's practical to do so, and that I think is a really really good thing. Oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty the number to call. Last call for the morning Peter, Hello there.
Speaker 9: Hello, just spring up. Really on a tight budget, yes, really on a Tiday's budget. What happened was ah two messive holes in the war. What I did was, being on the type budget, I had a block of wood.
Speaker 7: I placed the.
Speaker 9: Wooden in the in the middle of the hole. And what I did was I nailed the wood in the whole winded. I placed a piece of two year car well paper. Well, you know, for exactly the same color as the war.
Speaker 7: It didn't.
Speaker 9: I placed bother because look, I'm on the type budget. Flower in water and looks the flower up. It worked. It worked, honestly it worked.
Speaker 5: Is it your own place, Peter, or is it a rented place that you're in.
Speaker 9: Well, apparently I got the job done. Landlord came to day and he didn't know anything about it.
Speaker 5: You cod mate, if it works for you, it works for you, and maybe later on the landlord, I want to take the flower out and put in some plaster or some jib compound or something like that. Appreciate the call. Eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call for rid climb pass because he is standing by. And just another quick reminder, So next week at this time from eight to eight thirty, we'll have Ben Thompson, who's a lawyer who specializes in Crossley's I'm already getting a whole bunch of texts. You'll need to text in next week if you've got a specific question. And I think it's going to be a very very busy half hour on the show. So looking forward to that next week, looking forward to talking with Rut as well. And love the text that came in just a moment ago, so says the texter from last week's show with Rud. I've made a RUU box. Now could I ask where would be the best place to put it? We will answer that question and many more than just a moment back with Rut.
Speaker 3: After the breaking Upper House Dawning the Garden asked Pete for a hand The Resident Builder with Peter Wolfcamp.
Speaker 1: Call oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty News Talks EDB for more from The Resident Builder with Peter Wolfcamp. Listen live to News Talks EDB on Sunday mornings from six, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio.