Speaker 1: You're listening to the Resident build Up Podcast with Peter Wolfcamp from News Talks at Bay.
Speaker 2: Even when the grass is overgrown in the yard, and even when the dog is too old to bark, and when you're sitting at the table trying to start.
Speaker 3: Scissor home, even when we leave a band, even when you're there alone.
Speaker 2: You know, houses a home, even when those ghost even when you got around from the world you love your most.
Speaker 3: Stream, those broken paints.
Speaker 2: Feeling from the wood, locals wisper when they're going to leave, the neighbors, even when we're n.
Speaker 3: Even when you're the long.
Speaker 4: Well, A very good morning and welcome along to the Resident Builder on Sunday. You're with me, Peter wolf Camp, the Resident Builder, and this is your opportunity to ask questions, to discuss, to debate, to challenge, to ah just have a good old fashioned chin wag about all things building and construction. So if you've got a practical question of a nature of you know, doors that won't open and floors that might squeak, or petitions that are not particularly upright, these sorts of things, we can talk about that. If you've got a question around building and compliance and regulations, all of these sorts of things that are part of the building environment as well. We can certainly chat. If perhaps you've wandered along as I do, to a hardware store and I'm perusing the aisles thinking now which one of these is better than which one of those? Then we can talk products and I you know, things that you need to build with or to do projects with. We can do that on this program as well. We can talk about those things as well. This gives me flashbacks to last week, our first caller talking about table saws and choosing tools and that sort of thing. Moren't happy actually chat about tools and bits and pieces. I had my table saw out yesterday, yesday day before, no day before, just making something in the shed, which was actually enormously satisfying, like a little bit of shed time, a little bit of workshop time in effect, a little bit of me time, was delightful. So and also an opportunity. I'm a late convert to the whole track saw thing. Plenty of trades out there, plenty of people will have a track saw. I've always had circular saws, I've always had table saw I've always had a bit of aluminium that I can clamp down as a straight edge, and that's a sort of de facto track saw, but they are a little bit flash than that. Anyway, I ended up with one a little while ago that Royobi guys dropped one off, and I was using that for the first time for quite a while in the workshop. It was actually very good. I can see why everyone's got them on site. So little track saw and what do I make? I swapped over printers and so had I used to have a little platform underneath the printer where I could store the paper. Anyway, I swapped over to a printer that does a three one that I used to take to work with me, which meant that the box that I had was too small. Sorry for the long introduction to this, but it kind of makes sense. So I thought, right, I'll give that one away and it's being used by someone else now. And then I needed another little platform that I can put the paper in underneath there because my office isn't bring enough blah blah blah. And then I thought, I'll make a little shelf in it too, and then I can put paperwork on top of it. And then I had a foss around in the shed found I think it was actually an old plywood top from a set of trestle tables that I'd fossicked away in the back there, So set that through the sword, dimensioned it up, cut it up with the little ryobi track, saw sanded it, put it all together, gave it a first code of razine clear polyurethane yesterday, do some filling last night. I'll give another coat of polyurethane and that can go into the workshop with me into the office rather after it's had it seventy two hours of curing.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 4: That was a little project that we got underway, right, all things building construction. Can I also say I drove this morning to work, as I do every Sunday, obviously, and on a street leading to where I live, which happens to be in Devenport on the shore, and they're doing a lot of work on Lake Road, and so they've got lots and lots of road cones. This isn't a rant about road cones. This is a rampant about the muppets that like to knock them over at night time. I mean, seriously, what sort of And to be fair, I spent a fair amount of time driving in today thinking about that, because I was slightly interfered. It's just one of those idiot moves. Oh why go and knock them over? Someone's got to come out put them all back up again. Everyone has to navigate their way through a whole set of scattered road cones on what's already a relatively narrow access way, given that there's so much work happening on the street. What sort of move is that? And then I was trying to figure out actually a way of describing said people without getting a BSA complaint, because typically we have really blunt and direct ways of describing such people on building sites, but that language is not appropriate here. So I'm still struggling actually to think of a better word than well, I think of lots of better words. I just can't say them on the radio anyway. Don't be a dick and do that. Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call.
Speaker 3: Let's get into it.
Speaker 4: Eight hundred eighty ten eighty nine two nine two is the text number. That's z BZB from your mobile phone. If you would like to text, you are more than welcome to do that. And if you'd like to see me an email, you can do that as well. Pete at newstalksb dot Co dot N said, we are keeping an eye on the high jump, which, to be fair, was looking a little bit nerve wracking for Kerr, the New Zealand high jumper. But he has cleared the last barrier, so I think he's cleared two point three one and they've now set the barrier at two point three seven, which is kind of a door plus an extra bit. That's how I always think about it, because you look at this and you go, how hig are they actually jumping? And they think, well, a standard doors are nineteen to eighty leaf, So then you add a gap underneath it, and let's say twenty mil for the jamliner, so you're at two meters and then add about a foot there you go, how's that for mixing up my measurements. I'll go two meters because I know what height to door is and they're going to add a foot in there because somehow I grew up with feet and inches. That's a long way. That's a long way to launch your body up and over and not clip anything. So anyway, he's doing all right. We'll keep you up to date with that, and certainly if he's in the hunt for gold. We will definitely will keep you up to date. Oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty right, lots to talk about. Lots of people coming on the show later on as well. Our good mate Bryce from Razine he's going to come on. So any specific painting questions you might have, you can fire those through on the text machine. That's nine to two, nine to two, so zbzb from for the text. Bryce will be with us seven twenty five, and then after eight o'clock we're going to have a quick catch up with Amanda Stains. Now she is the CEO I think for the Keystone Trust. I'll tell you about the Stone Trust a little bit later. And last week on the program I mentioned ventilation. I've made a note we will definitely talk a little bit about ventilation. But let's rip into it because we've got calls a waiting. It is fifteen minutes after six and a very good morning to you.
Speaker 3: Ian.
Speaker 4: Hang on, hang on.
Speaker 3: Right, Ian, go for it.
Speaker 5: That sounds better.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Look, I've got a spa bath and the scud of motor and a pump tucked away nicely underneath. And I win that was being built maybe ten years ago.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 5: I said to the builder, Hey, how do I get to that? He said, I look, just zip out this panel here. It's about a one point five by five mil panel of tiles. It's got a silicon seal around it. So at Jude formed the pump stopped well back. So I got this knife and zipped around the silicon seala, and of course it didn't come out, stayed there like where it was. And as far as I can tell by running a knife along the edges, there's some vertical timber behind it, which looks like the supports for the bath itself. And I would bet that some Numpton has put the magical jib screws through the jib boarder and tied it onto the timber before they put the tiles on it, not knowing all about the subtlety of the silicon sealer. So the question I've got this hall of a.
Speaker 4: Right, What I was going to ask is that you've cut around and broken the bond of the ceilant. That's not to say there might not be a little bit more of a just like a vacuum that's effectively holding it on. What are you using to pry that panel off with?
Speaker 5: I've got a putty knife which I've sort of get in it. It can go right in and places, so it goes and maybe feel interest and you try and give us an everage, but it doesn't want to go. It's it's a little bit more fixed at the ends where there's no timber, but we need the timbering. It doesn't want to move at all.
Speaker 4: Right, you don't have a mate who's got those suction cups that glaziers use by any chance.
Speaker 5: No, that's a thought. That's a thought. You could have a look or something like that.
Speaker 4: Now that'll work, okay, if you can sort of get a decent seal around them. The problem with the tiles is that they will inevitably have grout lines, so you may not get as good a vacuum seal on there as you'd like. But it's I'm just thinking about giving yourself something a little bit more leverage before or you start breaking that panel out completely.
Speaker 5: Okay, Well, that's good thoughts. I mean, I guess that was my question really was, what's what's a recommended method for breaking the tires out nicely and neatly?
Speaker 7: As I say, look, you won't.
Speaker 4: Be able to save the tiles, right, or if you do, I've got Yeah, okay, I would look to be fair hammer and an old chisel, you know, and just work your way in from one side trying. Once you've broken away chip chipped a corner off, you can sort of drive in between the tile and the substrate and just cut through the adhesive. But before I suppose i'd get in there with a even like with a pry bar. So when you cut through the silicon sealant, do you feel that the night the blade goes all the way through and into sort of you know, a void behind like you can't.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I can put it most of the way along. I can put it in. It's spit tight in places, but most of the way along I can get it in the length of the wood to the length of the blade, you know. So I've gone at another forty fifty sixty MILS.
Speaker 4: Other tool that might be quite useful, because to be fair, it's always a good idea if you've got an excuse to buy more tools. Is a multi tool with a cutting blade on it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I've got one of those. I thought I might have a play down the and one of my options was to sort of go down there's one. There's a couple of there's two tiles eye basic this thing, and maybe six or eight tiles wide. I thought I might try and go down the go outline of a couple of the tiles which have no timber behind them. Yes, and then if I can get through the ground, i'd go straight through. I have to cut the GiB as well behind it and take out a whole tile section which would give me a handworth to get in behind. And whether I can fix the motor from there, I don't know, but I might be then able to perhaps turn the renovator around the other way with an angle blade and attack any screws that the holding a jib onto the timber you're onto it. Go for that sort of option. Option A. Yeah, A bit of a mess effects up, but that's possible. Tars and the problem I've got some more.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and look if you ended up having to make just a panel and fixing that neatly.
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 4: Is it obvious with the motorers? Like is it the first thing you see when you approach the spar or is it?
Speaker 5: I know, I know exactly where the motor is. It's just around the corner, right. I don't know why. I don't know why the tile panel then' one whatever.
Speaker 4: But I think you're on the right track, and I would definitely open up that gap with the multi tool, And then, like you say, if you take a panel out, then you could also use the multi tool to get in behind and separate the substrate the lining from the stadi just for some reason they have actually been fastened together.
Speaker 5: So the other thought I had was sort of attack some tiles directly where quote the screws should be and just under the screws. I'm not sure which is the best way to go there with us, just to attempt to get the whole thing out as a whole with damaged tiles, or take out a section without dammating a title.
Speaker 4: I think if I was going to cut through, i'd probably try and cut through around the perimeter of a tile where you think there is no timber behind it, so that in the end you could lift out one piece and then you can get in there and have a look around. Yep, yeah, all right, mate, all the very best. That sounds like a good Sunday. Take care, Maybe wait a little bit later before you start those renovator tools. They are quite noisy. Yeah, they can be quite noisy. We're hearing protection. Oh Waite hundred eighty ten eighty the number to call Dave. A very good morning to you. This is weird, this is weird. My finger's not working. Hang on there we go, got you now, Hello Dave, how are good? Thank you?
Speaker 3: And how are you?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 9: Not for bad?
Speaker 8: Yeah, So I don't want to bore you as too many details, but we've got me more partner for a new build place. It wasn't off the plans because it was kind of like half built. Yeah, ended up sort of signing the sound purchase. But once it was finished, there was a lot of issues that we found in the pre sediment inspection, like just workmanship issues, and there's a lot of problems with it where the developer's not really being very good at fixing them within that twelve month period. Anyway, We've had a lot of back and forth and gotten in real estate agencies involved, and nothing's really working. So I've Filder playing with the dispute tribunal and there's a bunch of things like paint quality and like jip stopping quality and all that sort of thing. But my question is is so the house has got off It was specified in the spec sheet and in the renderings in the building consent plans that they would put aluminium lovers on the two front facing windows of property.
Speaker 6: Yes.
Speaker 8: The second thing is that it's kind of built into a slope section, so they've done a lot of retaining block wall, retaining at the bottom of the house built it, and on the spec sheet, on the spec sheet it specified that the block wall would be plasted with a razine brought up I think it was called in Tigre or something, And it doesn't specify the actual product and the consent plans, but it does and the rendering have clearly has like some sort of you know, plaster finish on the block.
Speaker 4: Wall on the exterior of the block wall, and I presume on the block wall above ground level.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's correct. Yes, because the blockwall kind of is all over the ground floor of the house. It makes it like a three story house. The block wall kind of like supporting that the bottom part of the house. So my question has is those two things, like the louvers and the finish of the of the block workers. It's basically just bear at the moment and do you have any elite to stand on when they've specified in the specially and the building consent plans that it would be plastered.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, I think that you should have a reasonable claim. So the way I've always come to see building consents these days is are they are effectively a contract. Right, So what's on the building consent is what has to be built, and you can change it, but then you have to track that change as well. I If, for example, something that is removed or substituted and it will an item that is part of the building consent, then that should be changed with either a minor variation or an amendment, and you can track all of those changes. I presume the house has a Code Compliance Certificate. Yes it does, okay, all right, so it's had its final inspection and it's had its CCC. The fact that like the render on the exterior of the block work is probably their sense. I mean, I think it's a good idea and it allows you to paint it and that will allow you to make it more weather proof, but it's probably not integral to the overall performance of the building, so that might be a little bit of a challenging one that becomes a contract issue there. Well, I'm interested to hear that they didn't install the aluminum lovers on the front because I suspect that that's part of their resource consent and that will be about either privacy or potentially it'll be about shape, and so it'll be part of the design of the building. So the fact that they are not installed and they were clearly on the on the plans, in some ways I'm a little bit surprised that the final inspection didn't pick that up right, Like I wouldn't have thought the building should get a cc if something's missing.
Speaker 6: It's funny you.
Speaker 10: Say that because the resource consent isn't actually fully signed off yet.
Speaker 4: Ah okay, then can you get a CCC without the resource consent being signed off?
Speaker 6: Apparently, says I've seen it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, you're right, I think you can. But yes, the resource consent should be signed off. And maybe that's the thing they haven't done. That it's on the resource consent and it hasn't been done. And hopefully and maybe the developers thinking, oh if I just ignore a little go away and it won't which is good. So that that's a really strong position for you to be in the fact that the resource consent has not been signed off. The other thing is that when was the construction finished?
Speaker 10: Rough maybe like no October or November.
Speaker 4: Okay, last year, all right, now somewhere along the line, and you'll go through the property or through the file and you'll see the name of the LBP that's been assigned to it, particularly in terms of the actual main contractor or the person responsible for the structural work. So there'll be an LBP. This is the sort of thing if you find you're not getting a professional response from the LBP is to go to the disciplinary board, so the Licensed Building Practitioner Disciplinary Board, because there is now a code of Ethics for lbps, right, and that's around you know, informing people working professionally, having good communication, those sorts of things. So have a look for that online, go to LBP Code of Ethics and it'll bring up all of that information for you. That would be a that gives you a bit of leverage.
Speaker 10: Where would you find them the number of CCC.
Speaker 4: Oh, yeah, if you go yes on the CCC application form, it should have record of works from people like yeah, it'll have the LBP details on there. And remember and that LBP may not necessarily be the developer. It may not necessarily be the main contractor. But if as an LBP, like I'm an LBP, if I put my name to it, I'm responsible for it, right and and so you can leverage off that.
Speaker 10: Right, Okay.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I think going to the dispute tribunal in the way that you're intending is probably a good idea.
Speaker 3: It does get.
Speaker 4: Tricky around, you know, workmanship, because there is a guide to tolerances and a guide to defects. So make sure that you are that you know what the rules are and what the standards are, and that the work does actually is less than what was reasonably expected. And I only say that because I know someone who's involved in a case recently where their work was actually okay and met the standards. In fact was better than okay. It was just they were dealing with a client who was to be blunt, illogical, right, and unrealistic. So you know, you don't sound like that person. But it's always good if you're going to go into a dispute around standards, that you know what the standards are and you can clearly identify and highlight the fact that the work does not meet those standards.
Speaker 10: This is an example you can see that joins in the ceiling ye in the main living area pretty clearly.
Speaker 6: Yep.
Speaker 4: And that's the sort of thing that in a new build, you know. I mean again, if you know what you're looking for, you probably find it in anyone's work right somewhere along the line. But if you walk in and it stands out like the proverbial, then that's not acceptable. That's poor workmanship or poor painting, or a combination of both. Yeah, good luck and let us know how you get on. But check out the LBP Code of Ethics. Okay, cool, all right, all the best, take care. Not a great situation to be in. It must be kind of disheartening to be fair. Oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty. We a bit behind on the brakes. It is six twenty nine. Good news. Hamish Kerr in the high jump has just cleared two thirty six, so he's still in the leading pack. So he's just cleared two thirty six, which is pretty impressive. Back in the mouth you and news talk se'd be keeping one eye on the high jump, which is pretty exciting at the moment. So two meters thirty six, take your take measure out. Run that up the that's almost as tall to be fair, that's like just tucking underneath the scotia of a standard new bill. Talking about new bills with Dave just a moment ago. I wait, one hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call Marty. Thank you very much for your text. But a wonderful word. Wonderful word, unrepeatable on radio, but it does go. It's a perfect word for describing those people that I made the comment earlier this morning driving in there's a lot of roadworks in Cones that are up on the road into where I live, and overnight someone has thought that it's entertaining to go and knock down probably I don't know, thirty percent of them or something like that. So I was trying to come up with an appropriate term for people who get their jollies from doing such an idiotic thing. I wait, one hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call. Jim A very good morning to you. Hey there, Jim, Yes, good morning, Good morning, Jim.
Speaker 9: Yeah, there's I've got a little heck up. We bought a house eight years ago. Who was We're the third owner. It would be three four years old. At the time. The section was fenced. There was no garage on the section. So we got a built, a garage built. We've just discovered that the one of the boundary fences, unfortunately next door to the garage, is not in the right place. So consequently the the the right way should it actually comes into the garage about probably about one hundred mills right yep? So what where where where do we stand with that? You know, everybody signed off for it, but now we discover that no one wants to know anything about it. I don't know who actually built the fence. It wouldn't have been the actual house builder. But yeah, the council signed up the garage.
Speaker 4: Hang on, so council signed off the garage. So the garage has got a building consent, yes, and the building consent was signed off by the council. And so yeah, because and when was the garage built? Twelve years ago roughly?
Speaker 9: And eight years ago actually eight years ago now.
Speaker 4: Okay, sixteen Yeah, quite genuinely, I'm a little surprised at the fact that the garage was able to be located without a surveyor's certificate. Right, So typically these days, back in the day, like when I first started building, you'd go, hey, look here's where I think the boundary is. This is where the building consent shows the new build to go. I've run a string line down the boundary and I've said it. I tell you what can I just get you to hold because it's very in the Olympics right now?
Speaker 1: A chance for gold Live commentary of Paris twenty twenty four on you still zvy.
Speaker 11: Shelby McEwen is going to be the first to try. He came into the competition with a PB of two thirty three. This a full five centimeters higher for Shelby McEwen, but he does have momentum on his side. His last two jumps have been clearances at two thirty four and two thirty six. What about two thirty eight. We're getting right up there now McEwen the American left hand side. He took off a long way from the bar and hit it on the way up. So I miss for Shelby McEwen at two thirty eight. If Hamish Kerr can clear this, he puts himself in a tremendous position for gold. He already knows that he is the gold medallist. If Shelby McEwen cannot clear two thirty eight, it's done. On countback of missus. Hamish kurmiss twice at two thirty one, but cleared first time at two thirty four and first time at two thirty six. Shelby McEwen was clear up until two thirty four, when he needed three attempts before going clear at two thirty six. So as things stand, Hamish Curve is in the gold medal position. He's asking for assistance from the crowd. Now is Hamish Kur Never before has he cleared this height. He said in the lead up to these Olympic Games that he believed he had a two point forty in his locker. What about a two thirty eight first attempt for Hamoush Kurr right handed.
Speaker 3: Approach and no, it never looked good.
Speaker 11: I think he can tell what Hamish curR he gets right to the end of his approach, and then we'll keep you up.
Speaker 4: Today's eight with the high jumps of Hamishkur, who successfully cleared two point three six meters and that puts him in a leading position, is now having a go at two point three eight. He didn't make that. That's a hell of a long way to jump, but neither no one else has either, So it's still looking like he's a genuine chance for a gold medal. We will keep you up to date with that. Let's go back to Jim So Jim, I like, I'm a little bit surprised that a building that was built twelve years ago, because that's not that long ago or eight year years ago, wasn't required to have a sighting certificate? Right that that somewhere along the line. Typically the first thing the building inspector will do on the first inspection, which will be the footings. They'll come out and go, okay, can you show me where the boundary is or can you show me a sighting certificate from a surveyor that shows that it's in the correct place, Because and I assume that the plans show a theoretical boundary and then the building offset from the boundary by a certain distance.
Speaker 9: Right the plans that I've got now, which I didn't have at the time because we were here. Yes, I does show and this has only been brought to my attention now, it does show that the fence comes on an angle. It's a bit of a strange thing. It comes on an angle and then goes back again. Now, to be honest, there is one surveyp at one end of the fence, and I think what they've done is looked at that and said, oh, well the fence the other peak must be down the other end, but I've not gone looking for it because it's definitely not there. And here.
Speaker 4: Okay, I well, I would say that the fact that you know, like if you said to me, look, i've got this garage. It was built in the nineteen fifties, then I'd go, yeah, okay, that's just unfortunate. But the fact that it had a building consent, it was signed off by the council, and now it turns out that it's in the wrong place, I think you've got a reasonable claim at council for not doing their job right. So and to be fair, every now and then council don't do it right. There was a very well known case of a house in South Auckland in a subdivision which was supposed to be a meter from the boundary and ended up being on the boundary, and someone somehow missed that in the setout. So I think in this case, and the issue is now that someone wants that land that you thought was yours but isn't actually yours, and they want to use it, like, who knows what's the issue.
Speaker 9: I've actually talked to the neighbor. Yeah, they're quite happy to say, just get it serveted off, and you know, I leave the fence where it is. I don't want the meter or land back again. That's it's been like that as long as i'velent here, which is a lot longer than me, so that quite happy to do it. But it means that we would have to get the whole place resurveyed, which you would have an idea how I've been told what roughly it would cost.
Speaker 4: Maybe twenty grand something like that.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, plus.
Speaker 4: Plus you would probably need to buy that piece of land now, whether you buy it for a dollar or whatever, but to actually make it yours, because you know, at this stage, if you and your neighbor agree that it's no issue, that's great until one of you changes, right, and then if the neighbors ols and somebody else decides that in fact they don't want the infringement, they could come to you and say it's on my land, you've got to move it. And obviously that means demolishing the garage and starting over again. Look maybe, and it's probably the sort of thing that if you're going to go into battle with the council, you probably need to contract a lawyer to do that. And you'd go to the lawyer and go, look, I want you to make a claim to counsel that they are stuffed up basically, and that their contribution could be to do a resurvey to allow you to legalize the location of the building by redoing the the boundary. That's probably going to be the best situation. Otherwise, I think you probably in the end, the fact that nobody somebody missed out the survey, somebody didn't determine the boundary properly in the building got built, doesn't mean the building can stay there. Would think that the building would probably still need to come down if somebody, the neighbor insisted they wanted their piece of land back.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Well we've had a talk to them and they couldn't, you know.
Speaker 4: Which is great, and now would be the time to go. Let's formalize that. Let's have you know, let's resurvey the property, determine the size of it, decide that this is the new boundary, make an arrangement with the two of us. But look, by the time you do the survey and update the title and all the rest of it. You're in the thousands of dollars. And you know, like I say, if it was way back, I'd say, it's one of those things that happened back then. But today I in an eight year old building. There should have been a survey certificate and the council inspector should have checked its location in relation to the boundary and signed And by signing off on the building, they've signed off on the location. And it sounds like they've stuffed that up. Good luck with all of that, Jim let us. Oh how you get on? That's a hell of a thing. Oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call. You can text as well, nine two nine two if you'd like, semi a text all things building and construction. But right now we'll take a short break. We'll come back in just a moment. No break, right, We're going to wait for just a little bit longer. It's quite exciting at the Olympics right now. Another a reasonable chance of another gold medal on top of what has been an outstanding overnight performance for New Zealanders. Obviously, Lisa Carrington in the k one and dear co in the golf as well, both coming away with gold medals, increasing our telly quite significantly. So we'll come back and have a wee look at the Olympics in just a moment. If you've got a question of a building nature, oh eight, one hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call. Actually that's I was relating it initially to the height of a door. I'm just trying to in my mind think about what it's like to leap over two point three six meters. And someone has pointed out and I mentioned this as well on the text, Well, when you think about a two point four stud, two point three six is just forty milimeters less than that. So if you've got a standard forty mili bit of coving, then that's as high as you're jumping. So if you're in a standard house these days, two point four meters, that's leaping almost over that wall plate craky. It is a staggering achievement, isn't it. You and newstalks'd be we're talking all things building and construction. We are going to go live to Paris.
Speaker 11: Hang on just a moment, Maybe we are in a situation where a jump off or be required, So they're showing them, showing them in the joint gold medal position.
Speaker 3: Two missus.
Speaker 11: At an earlier height for McEwen, two misses at an earlier height for Kerr.
Speaker 3: McEwen's misses were at.
Speaker 11: Two thirty four, Kerrs were at two thirty one. Can Hamer's Kerr put it beyond doubt by clearing two thirty eight three years ago we had joint gold medallists. Are we headed down that track again? A jump for gold though for Hamous care at two thirty eight, the biggest jump of his career for Hamous kur If he goes clear at two thirty eight, he wins the Olympic gold.
Speaker 3: A miss.
Speaker 11: And we leave ourselves in the hands of the officials. Hamus Kerr gets the crowd going. His whole career has led to this moment, this one moment on a Parisian night, and he dives under the bar Hamous Kurr, so it's not going to count. It's a miss, and now we wait. Nobody seems to know what the situation is. They're showing Hamish Kerr and Shelby McEwen as joint gold medalists at the moment.
Speaker 3: They come together.
Speaker 11: Remember three years ago they shared the gold medal by Sheem and Tim Berry up and I think they're going to jump. Shelby McEwan seems to be indicating that we're going to jump off.
Speaker 12: For it back down.
Speaker 11: So they are going to keep going. So apologies for any confusion around a premature gold. Famous care is going to have to do a bit more work. So back out they come and we check.
Speaker 3: The height.
Speaker 11: Does it stay at two thirty eight or do they bring it down? Well, they're showing now two forty on the barge.
Speaker 3: Just trying to decipher what is going on here.
Speaker 11: Both mckiwen and Hamish Kurr have missed twice at two thirty eight. I missed three times rather at two thirty eight, and so where do we put the bar now? Lots of activity in the jumping area.
Speaker 3: McEwan's going to be first to go.
Speaker 11: Now two thirty eight, it would appear, although the graphic has quickly disappeared, it is at two thirty eight, so they'll continue to jump at two thirty eight.
Speaker 3: McEwen will be first to go.
Speaker 11: With what is now his fourth attempt at this height. Shall we McEwen from the left hand side two thirty eight on the bar, and he can't get it done. On the way up he crashes into the bar, So a fourth miss at two thirty eight, and so presumably now we're at sudden death a clearance provided the other competitor doesn't clear, and you win. So Hamish Kerr has I guess the advantage of going second.
Speaker 3: Hamus Kurr just going through some.
Speaker 11: Final preparations relacing the shoes, making sure there's absolutely no possibility of any part of its clothing impeding what could be a gold medal jump. So two thirty eight on the bar. As we're in a jump off for gold here mckiwan has missed in his first jump in the jump off at two thirty eight.
Speaker 3: Hamish cur.
Speaker 11: Is next again addresses what would be a new personal best. Here is cur and he flicks the bar with his back, so a miss for kur at two thirty eight.
Speaker 3: So they'll go again.
Speaker 11: At the same height and Shelby McEwen is next. So three years ago the gold medal was shared between Bashim and Tambury, but McEwen and Kerr in no such mood here in powis it was very different games of course three years ago, so they bring it down to two thirty six now, So it comes down to two thirty six. Both McEwen and Kerr successful at two thirty six in ordinary competition, but the pressure and the stakes are a lot higher now. Hamus Kerr lying on his back, staring up into the Paris night.
Speaker 3: Shelby McEwen ready to have a look at two.
Speaker 11: Thirty six, sudden death high drama high jump. McEwen at two thirty six, asking for assistance from the crowd. Here is McEwen, Can he put the pressure squarely on Hamish Cur by clearing two thirty six.
Speaker 3: Here from the left hand side.
Speaker 11: Here is McEwen and he clips the bar and so now Hamish cur with a jump at two thirty six for gold. A Kewan misses at two thirty six. Presumably if Kurr was to miss at two thirty six, they'd go down to.
Speaker 3: Two thirty four again.
Speaker 11: But Hamish Kerr knows this is within his capability. He's jumped two thirty six before before tonight did it again night a jump for the Olympic gold medal for Hamosh cur of New Zealand. Final few words of encouragement and advice from coach James Sanderland's all eyes in this enormous arena are on Kiwi Hamish cur.
Speaker 3: On.
Speaker 11: This the biggest stage of all, the biggest moment of his high jumping career. Two thirty six for gold curve from the right hand side, and he can't clear it. He can't clear it, and so we drop again?
Speaker 3: Do we drop again? So isn't this a funny old sport?
Speaker 11: Hamus Kirk clear at two thirty six in normal competition as was, She'll be McEwen.
Speaker 3: Where are we going with the bar? Now?
Speaker 11: Two thirty four again, it'll be McEwan to jump first.
Speaker 3: I'm sure these two didn't expect to.
Speaker 11: Have to jump this many jumps, this late into the night. We're approaching nine o'clock in the evening.
Speaker 3: Amous Kerr wanders over to the middle of the.
Speaker 11: Arena, the high jump area, quick swig of his drink bottle. He knows that he can clear two thirty four. He knows it, but so tutors shellby McEwen. He knows it. What high drama here in the high jump? So we look at the countbacks shall be McEwen missed twice at two thirty four. Those were his only missers up until he missed all three times at two thirty eight, so two misses for McEwen. Similarly, Kerr missed twice at two thirty one. Those were his only two misses. So clearly the height at which you miss doesn't matter in a countback, it's just that you missed. So two misses for McEwen to misses for Kerr. Neither could clear two thirty eight, so into a jump off we go two thirty six.
Speaker 3: Both missed. We're now at two thirty four.
Speaker 11: A jumper piece at this height, this would be where it would be really handy to be miked up with the officials, as we're really only going from the pictures we're seeing on the screen. But as I understand it, the bar is at two thirty four and Kerr and McEwen will have one jump each at it. M kewan goes for a fresh water. He's wandering around as we just wait, We just wait. Something we didn't expect at this stage at seven o'clock. We might take a break shortly or shall we stay with it? Seems to be a short delay in proceedings. The reason we're breaking is because the four by four hundred meter final is about to get underway. So just checking that we can take a break for this, I think we probably can be good with that mark to take a break, Let's stay with it. Let's stay with it. So at the moment, Hamish Kerr and Shelby McEwen just have to wait for the four by four hundred meter relay to play out. This adds further drama too, and already emotion packed high jump competition, we've got the men's four by four hundred me to relay final about to get underweight. That'll take three or four minutes, three or four minutes of waiting time for Hamish Kurr and Shelby McEwen. Don't worry, you won't miss anything. We'll make sure that you're with us. When these two have their ten to two thirty four silence around de France for the start of the four by four hundred meter relay, Shelby McEwan looks across and I guess shows a little bit of interest in his team, the United.
Speaker 3: States of America. He gets up and has a look.
Speaker 11: So three minutes worth of this four by four hundred meter relay, we're back after this with the conclusion of the men's high jump, and we are back as Shelby McEwen was applauding and encouraging his four by four hundred meter relate countrymen, but he is now going to have his attempt. Here is Shelby McEwen.
Speaker 3: At two thirty to put pressure on Hamish Cur.
Speaker 11: McEwen two thirty four has PB before today, approaches from the left hand side of the American and misses at.
Speaker 3: Two thirty four.
Speaker 11: So what an opportunity now for Hamish Cur. A clarance at two thirty four and the gold medal is his surely not in the way that he expected or any of us did. So three misses at two thirty eight for McEwen, another miss at two thirty eight, another miss at two thirty six, and a miss at two thirty four. As we work our way back down, Hamish Cur looks at two thirty four on the bar as the four by four hundred meter relay passes by again. Well, Shelby McEwan had his jump during the relay. Hamish Kurgi just sorting his foot wear out. He's on the other side of the running track, Hamish curse, so he is going to have to wait for the conclusion of the four by four hundred meter relay, which is currently into its third leg as the.
Speaker 3: Runners pass by the high jump area.
Speaker 11: One more lap of the four by four hundred or will Hamish curR have his opportunity now that they've passed by.
Speaker 3: Let's see.
Speaker 11: He is I think going to address this attempt now. In fact, the relayers done and dusted, so now we can get under way. Massive moment in the track and field career of New Zealand's Hamish curve two meters thirty four on the bar, the calm serenity masking a deep resilience and commitment to hours and weeks and years of training. Hamer's curve for the.
Speaker 3: Gold middle Kiwi's can fly.
Speaker 11: And cur scales his everest and his high jump Olympic champion, and he is away. Hamous cur sprinting around this arena arms wide.
Speaker 3: He is an Olympic champion.
Speaker 11: In the most dramatic of high jump finals, Hamous curve brings it home for New Zealand's What a moment. For the first time ever, New Zealand has a high jump champion at an Olympic Games, and it couldn't happen to a bitter bloke. Hamous Curb by way of a jump off with Shelby McKellen of the United States, has got it done and will stand on the top step of the podium. Remarkable, remarkable from Hamoerus cur What a moment for him. He embraces the other competitors. Marco Tamburry a gold medalist three years ago.
Speaker 4: What a fantastic event. And then the in your head waiting for the relay to finish as well keeping your composure and then jumping two point three four meters for an Olympic gold medal. Fantastic. More in news and sport. Well, to be fair, I don't think I'm ever going to look at a two point four stud in the same way in my life. Again, that was remarkable. So having stood any number of frames over many, many years, and typically our New Zealand construction, it's two point four meters as a stard height. So if you're wandering around you're looking at your ceiling right now, you're thinking about Hamish cur leaping almost that height. So to win gold medal in a very very exciting manner and kind of not quite fascical but the fact that their run up leads across the track and they had to wait for a little while while the men's four by four hundred meter final was taking place. And then to keep your head, you know, to keep your mind on the task while all of this other activity is going on. And then to have achieved two point three meters, but to win the gold by jumping two point three to four is remarkable. We will go to the metal ceremony that'll be in about an hour's time. So anyway, it's been a very very exciting morning and a great morning for New Zealand sport as well at the Olympics, with obviously overnight Lisa Carrington gold medal in the K one to five hundred, Lydia Co in the golf and now Hamish curR in the high jump as well, so three gold medals overnight. And thank you very much for persevering with us. It's exciting to catch up with a sort of news, right. We are talking building construction and stard Heights. Eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call. If you've got a building question, you can call us now. If you have a specific painting question, then Bryce mc our painting expert will be with us in about ten minutes actually, so if you've got a specific painting question, text them through to nine to nine two and Jerry the most patient man I know. Thank you for waiting in a very good morning to you, Jerry.
Speaker 7: Oh, yes, good morning. Yes, I was very exciting just to hear that metal victory by Hamish.
Speaker 4: What I find, apart from the fact that I find it difficult to comprehend what it must be like to be able to leap that high in that particular event, for all of that other activity because there were races on the track, right, there's athletic events on the track, so you kind of have to wait for other people to do their thing and then you can do your thing. So keeping your head straight is phenomenal anyway, right, Oh, what.
Speaker 3: Can we watch?
Speaker 4: We talk about Let's talk the basements.
Speaker 7: Yes, I've wondered about this question for many many years. Sure, I lived overseas in America and all the places that I lived in we always had a basement. And now that I'm living here in New Zealand for the past ten years, I have never encountered anybody and any home or any dwelling that has a basement. Is there something in the New Zealand soil, Is there something in the New Zealand soil, or just the way you know, I just don't understand why there are no basements now in the New Zealand housing business.
Speaker 4: Now, let's just be a bit clear on this, because people do have basements, right in the sense that if you're a two storied house and maybe you're built into a bank, you'll excavate, you'll do a retaining wall, and that it's not quite a basement. So when you're talking basement, you're talking about a house that when you look at it from the street, you know, the ground floor might be a meter off the ground, let's say, But when you go inside the house, you can go down and you'll have a cellar. So my family's from the Netherlands, and when I go back and at some of my aunties and uncles, they will often have what they call a calder a cellar, right, And this might be in a relatively small house and you go downstairs and it's kind of a cool storage space. And having spent a little bit of time in the States as well, I know exactly what you mean that you'll do a basement, right, it'll be often for storage or utilities and that sort of thing. And like you, I've often wondered why we don't build like that in New Zealand as well. And I think if I had the opportunity and I know, heighten relation to boundary and site coverage and all those sorts of things, if I wanted like a single level dwelling, and I had the opportunity of let's say, having that floor AT's say a meter off the ground, I would probably seriously consider doing a basement exactly like that. So yeah, I do wonder. I don't know what it is, whether it's our designers are not familiar with it. There's no reason that. I mean, I've done plenty of basement developments where we've dealt with issues, you know, often around moisture, for example, because what you don't want is for that to become a swimming pool or a tank underneath the house. But you can deal with that. So no, it's a mystery to me.
Speaker 7: But there's nothing wrong with the actual soil composition in New Zealand.
Speaker 4: I can't imagine. So I mean, you know, I mean you think about Wisconsin for it, name just you know, I'm sure that there are thousands of houses in Wisconsin where with basements, right, and it will freeze and you'll get two or three meters of snow in winter. We had friends who were living just outside of Boston, for example, and they would get two or three meters of snow in the winter, and they probably had a basement, and I'm sure the basement was designed to cope with that in areas perhaps where I mean, you obviously wouldn't want to do it in areas that are prone to flooding. But I'm thinking where I live, we could easily do a basement. So yeah, no, I really don't. It's a mystery to me as well.
Speaker 7: Jerry, So just quickly, in Australia the same pattern basically is the same as in New Zealand. Very I just I don't understand why that would be as well.
Speaker 4: And the other thing that amuses me about it is that, you know, for most of us, a serious issue is because we're consumerists, right, we end up with a whole lot of stuff, and so one of the great challenges with most people's houses is where do I put all my stuff? So why wouldn't you do a basement? You know? If you had, let's say, a house with a floor plan of one hundred and fifty square meters, right, single story dwelling one hundred and fifty square meters, and you had a sixty square meter basement down below that you could use for storage, that would be amazing.
Speaker 7: All right, Peter, I'll just don't know. On a humorous note, I used to enjoy I used to enjoy listening to the song Clap for the wolf Man. So no, no, I'm clapping for wolf camp man.
Speaker 4: I'm going to look that up. I've never heard of it, Clap for the wolf Man. Alrighty, that could be my new intro song. You might have started something, Jerry. I really appreciate your time. You have a great day. Take care by I mean, this is the great thing about traveling, I guess, and the great thing about being able to move around is to see how other people build as well. And for those of you who might have been anywhere in Europe almost but I can remember going to my aunt Ince to her house, and it was a relatively compact house, as many Dutch houses are stand alone, so small plot of land, relatively small house, too storied, and then just underneath the stairs was another little set of stairs that went down to the calder. There's probably only four meters square something like that, but that's where you store vegetables, produce extra food, a little bits and pieces. I often do wonder why we don't do basements as in sellars when we're constructing in New Zealand, partly for storage and partly for well all ways for storage utilities as well. Imagine if you could put your heating system somewhere that's accessible, or your ventilation system, or your hot water system, even your distribution board, all of these sorts of things in an area that you could readily get access to anyway. It's an interesting thought. Oh eight one hundred and eighty, ten eighty, we'll take a short break. We'll be back with more of your calls and just your news storks. The'd be and it's a great pleasure to welcome back to the program our painting expert Bryce McDermott from Razine. Good morning, Bryce.
Speaker 7: Good morning, How are you very well, very very.
Speaker 4: Well and quite excited to be fair to watch that or to hear the Olympic coverage. So it's been a golden kind of day at the Olympics for New Zealand.
Speaker 6: It's just a pity that the Albis couldn't.
Speaker 4: I didn't well, I wasn't going to mention it either, right, hey, look, I tell you what can we start with? And it was one of our first callers today, Dave, who is has has bought a new build and is a bit disappointed by some of the standard of the finishing inside. And one of the things he commented on was paint work. And I said to him, look, you've got to understand there is a guide to tolerances. Right, So in terms of like you would often I would imagine in your professional role get called out to jobs where someone goes, I don't think the painter has done a good job, or I don't think the paint is any good, or something like that. So what's the actual kind of official tolerance guide Where can people find that? If you know, someone calls you and says, look, i've had this painter and I don't think it's very good, come and have a look at it. What criteria do you use and what criteria are there for judging the quality of paint work?
Speaker 6: Well to take off the you know, the the actual paint itself, it's not really you know, paint issue is so it's a normally issue. Yeah, So you know, I generally refer people back to the master Painters on their website. There is a level of inspection information that you can you can actually use to have a look, but it just tells you, you know, how to basically inspect a paint surface and things like that, like if you're looking at a wall, for instance, you stand a meter back and have a look and see if there's any glaring defects or anything like that. Yeah, you know, not stand like two or three inches away from the surface or lie down on the floor look at the skooting and stuff like that. So I would generally refer people back to that in the first instance, basically because you know, it's the painter is only as good as the man who is putting it on. And I say that was the greatest of care.
Speaker 4: So there is a reasonableness, isn't there? And you're right, and I'm sure we've all encountered the gross respect clients that go, hey, look here I am, I'm standing ten centimeters away from the surface and I've noticed that there's an imperfection in the paint work. And you go, well, hang on, that's not a reasonable standard. So there is there's a guide to tolerances, okay, and that's interesting. You mentioned master painters, So for someone who's concerned about the quality of their work, they could go to that and use some of that documentation as a guide, I guess, or as a reference.
Speaker 6: Yep. Yeah, it's just keeping it neutral in the first place, and everybody knows where they stand.
Speaker 4: Well, that's good. So we had a text along similar line. So that's good that we've covered that off, right. Yah, let's rip into a couple of text for you, Bryce. Hey, Pete, I've got some damp wooden treated fence palings that I want to paint. How dry do they have to do they have to be before I can paint them?
Speaker 6: From Well, they're generally full of treatment as well, right, because because they come If you look at the way palings are delivered, they're bundled up on a pallet and strapped in big bundles, so they don't really get to get a chance to dry. So you know, nail them all up, stick them on the fence, and you know, give it a week or two. I don't think that that would be unreasonable. It just depends on the amount of moisture and the timber, okay, and the treatment itself, you know, just just let the wind and stuff like that get to it.
Speaker 4: Certainly, don't be putting them up and painting them the next day.
Speaker 6: No, just just give them, just give them a chance to sort of, you know, because if they're in the middle of the palette or the stack of timber, they can actually be quite moldy as well, depending on the time of storage.
Speaker 4: Right right now, this is an interesting one. Greetings. I've recently purchased a house which is clad and batten and boored macrocarpa. It's approximate twenty five years old. It's in good condition. It was water blasted prior to sail, so it's a golden color. Should I stain it with something or let it gray off again? From Paul?
Speaker 6: Wow, well, yeah, it can be stained. I would look at something in our Woodsmen range the Woodsmen stains, remembering of course that you know, once you stained something, you know you will be looking at you know, every two years, you'll be you know, doing some maintenance coats as well. Yes, generally up to the individual taste as to how you want the timber to look, you know, if it grays off nicely. Some people like that.
Speaker 4: Look, I'm slightly amazed that at twenty five year old macrocarpa that's been left untreated, let's say, has lasted as well. I mean, it's fantastic that it has. I would certainly recommend putting some sort of treatment over and the thought of somebody water blasting beer timber if they haven't done it, well, gosh, that's a recipe for disaster as well.
Speaker 6: Right, it has to be done very very I built a retaining wall once out of macrocarpa, simply because it's the person I was building the retaining wall for didn't want treated timber, and macrocarpa does the job.
Speaker 4: Yes. Funnily enough, I was tidying up around a raised vegetable garden that I built four years ago yesterday, and I did that in macrocarp for sleepers. I mean, look, it's still in great condition. It's weathered off, but that's exactly what I thought. But it's also you know, six by four sleepers, so it's going to take a while for that to decay.
Speaker 3: Right heah.
Speaker 4: Another quick question, Hi there, I've got an aluminium garage door to paint that's very worn it's hard to find the right description, but you know how aluminium can go after the standing. What primate do I need? This is from Vaughn so an old existing aluminium door that they want to repaintmde Gart door nice garage, Doore aluminium garage.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I presume there's no coating left on it. If that's the case, yep, I would you know, obviously clean down the door, don't stand it too much, but you know, get it, you know, stand and ready for coating and then put a full coat of what we call armor x GP primer yep, which is like a very very sick and good multi purpose primer and it text like anything to elimn and then you can, you know, you can put an acrylic coating like Summit roof over the top of it, or you could even use an amcrel or something like that, you know, the water worning ammel, depending on the gloss level that you want.
Speaker 4: Excellent. Okay, So, and what was that armor.
Speaker 6: Tex armor x GP primer.
Speaker 4: It's GP primer. I'm writing that down. I've got a job for that too. Awesome as always, thank you. Well we'll move on because we've got more Olympic coverage as well. Bryce, thank you again for your advice and for anyone who's got painting questions, go and see the team in the Razine Color Shop and they will give you all of that expert advice and great product. Thanks very much, Bryce, have a good day, Take care, all the best, bobbe your News Talks c B will take more of your calls. Building issues, building questions, building topics. We're talking all things building in construction this morning on the program, while keeping an eye I on the Olympics, and we're hoping to go to the gold medal ceremony for Hamish Kerr, who leapt an impressive two point three six meters. He cleared that, but he actually won the gold medal by jumping two point three to four meters, so that's quite impressive. Right, we'll take short break. We'll come back with more of your calls. Tanya, it will be with you in just a moment. Your News Talks the b and keen to get underway again.
Speaker 3: A couple of.
Speaker 4: Interesting texts with regard to Jerry's comments about his sort of bewilderment as to why we don't do basements and when I say basements, I'm not talking about sort of kind of accidental basements that are not uncommon here. Let's say you've got a nineteen seventies house and it might have a garage at the bottom and then the houses on top that sort of thing. This is kind of more deliberate I American style basements. A couple of texts have come in around that foundations have to be set below the permafrost depth level. That's the reason for the basements in the USA and Canada. I appreciate that. Hey, Pete, my family and Wellington here in New Zealand have a basement. In a family in Auckland also a large basement, quite large, cool and great for storage. And then again in cooler countries, in cooler climates the boilers. They need to put the boilers somewhere, and that's where piping would freeze if it was in an open underfloor area, so hence the basement. So there is a practical climatic reason for having them. But I would have thought, and I had this discussion with some architectural designers and architects a little while ago. Around most of us have just got a lot of stuff, and yet when we're building, we don't think of places to put stuff. I think about all the new builds that you see, hardly any of them actually use the garage for a car, and so the car is en up out on the road and the garage is full of stuff. And I'm exactly the same at my place and got a garage. It's never seen a car inside it. Maybe basements, if you've done a basement, let us know. Send me a text nine nine two D be right. Oh Toya, very good morning to you. How are you? Thanks for wedding.
Speaker 13: Just a quick question. We're looking at our comar to a housing yep, and yesterday we went to build Built Smart transportable building.
Speaker 14: Now I just had a look at their brochure.
Speaker 13: Does the builders come under Master Builders Associations? What transportable homes come under?
Speaker 4: Oh? I see what you're saying. Yeah, I'm not sure that any of the off site manufacturers sort of transportable homes, tiny homes, And there's no reason that they wouldn't be part of Master Builders. You know, in the end, Master Builders is sentially a subscription service, right, so you have to prove some competency and then you can join. So there would be no reason that an off site manufacturer doing tiny homes couldn't be part of Master Builders, but I don't know if many of them are so. Ye, what you're sort of saying is, is there an association like a tiny homes manufacturers association that has a membership and that in order to become a member you have to prove a certain level of competency or experience or something like that. I don't know that there is. Certainly the variation in the quality of tiny homes constructors is vast, would be the most kind and polite way of putting its. Great. Yeah, interesting you mentioned it because I've been chatting with some guys up in the Far North at panel Lock Homes and they're doing housing, so they do housing in their factory which is then transportable. But these are not tiny homes. These are you know, houses of seventy eighty square meters right that are being done with off site manufacturing and using like the J and L product, which is the triboard for the actual construction of the houses, and then being moved on to I guess ewe Land And maybe some of that will be for Commarta, some might just be for general far Now living and that sort of thing. But it's it's a fascinating place. And I actually I was at a presentation the other day that this was raised as well, and in fact I went past the development this big why prayer of trust? I think are doing a big development out near Middlemoor Hospital and part of that will be commard to a housing So it's it's an interesting new description of housing.
Speaker 13: M So you know only they've got it are with a circle around it?
Speaker 14: Does that mean registered? What does that actually want?
Speaker 4: Are with a circle around it around it?
Speaker 13: Yeah, it's built smart. Then it's got this little R with a circle around it. It doesn't say in their broch and what it actually means it and I thought it must mean register. But register would I mean?
Speaker 4: In the end, if you were going to go to this company or any other company and the work is going to be consented, which I presume you probably would do, then that because building work that's consented is restricted building work, which means that it can only be done or supervised by a licensed building practitioner. So at least you'll have that surety around the work being done by an LBP, which means you'll also get a record of works. And because it's consented you'll also get a code compliance certificate at the end of the project. So I think if you've got all of those things together, you can be reasonably confident about the quality of the work.
Speaker 13: Okay, yeah, that sounds that sounds good.
Speaker 4: Sounds like an exciting project, it idea. Yeah, nice to chat with you, Yes, okay, all the very best youa take care, beautiful call Oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty. If you've got a question of a building, nature will take your calls. Oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty. Will take a short break, will be back with Jen in just a moment. We will be crossing live to Paris for the gold medal awarding, the ceremony with Hamish Cure after his called middle leap in the high jump, So they'll be coming up shortly. Hey Jin, good morning to you.
Speaker 14: Good morning, good morning, good morning. Hello. Yes, yes, well I actually grew up in Britain during the Blitz and we were we were digging underneath, you know, to keep safe. But here in New Zealand, this is where the danger is for earthquakes. So don't you think that the reason which we are not finding too many basements in New Zealand is because of the risk of earthquakes.
Speaker 4: Look, it's it's a fair comment to make, and certainly I can appreciate that. Yeah, there would have been a usefulness to them back at in those times in terms of the blitz. Again, like, if you were to do a basement and it's concrete and it's reinforced and it's underneath the house, I would have thought that you'd actually be reasonably safe in that during an earthquake. I'm not sure that that is earthquake, you know. I mean, obviously we do have a higher risk of seismic activity in large parts of New Zealand, and so maybe that is an issue. But I would have thought that that could be designed for as well. If people did insist on having a basement, it could be achievable.
Speaker 14: But the uncertainty is there. Yeah, if you put a lot of money into a building and then if it's suddenly you get an earthquake, which is unpredictable in every way. If you're in, if you're on that, whatever, the thought like, then well you would you would like to risk all the money on that, would you know?
Speaker 4: But then I'm thinking about that, thinking, well, then you know, the greater risk would be that we've got lots, you know, increasingly in terms of our residential housing, a lot of the sort of info and development stuff is now going to three stories. So I would have thought that our three story building has a greater risk of let's say, harm when it comes to a seismic event than a basement, you know what I mean that if we can design for that, and if you look at the amount of bracing that goes into a new build these days, certainly the intention is that they stay up long enough for people to escape safely. That's the whole intent of the seismic engineering of them. But that would be a greater risk.
Speaker 14: But I'm completely thinking about abasement. Sure, if you want to in New Zealand, it's a different schedule fish than the other side of the world. Mainly anyway, Anyway, that was just not point because having having experienced the other that you dive underneath society. Indeed, I've many times dived under a table and got the worse end of the stick.
Speaker 6: See we've only got a minute.
Speaker 4: But Jenna, is it still something that you you obviously still think about those times and I'm guessing you, I mean, both my parents lived through the Second World War and you know, I know kind of what age they are and memory fades, but this is obviously something that's still front of mind for you though, that experience of surviving that time. And were you in London or where were you during the blitz?
Speaker 14: I was in Birmingham, in Birmingham which was heavily bomb they bombed the spit fire effect.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, ah.
Speaker 14: Anyway, it was just a point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, it's it's.
Speaker 4: A it's a great point. Really appreciate it. Lovely to chat with you, Jen, Thank you all right, all the best to you by by then. Remarkable memories. Ah, yes, so that the small so earlier call it Toya was talking about a company that they were looking at doing some tiny homes or transportables. Actually I've had a look on their website. It's more about transportables.
Speaker 9: You can.
Speaker 4: Here's a thought, and I've had a number of discussions during the week with people around Submissions are open at the moment for people to invite comment. In fact, I think it closes tomorrow around the idea of being able to build to sixty square meters without necessarily requiring a building consent, and this has been put forward by the government as a way of increasing supply and affordability right and removing some of the red tape that tends to either add cost and certainly adds time to these sorts of builds. And I do wonder whether the way forward will be that companies that are already have processes and systems in place for off site manufacture of buildings, we'll be able to continue to do those buildings, but may not necessarily need to go through the consenting process. That would seem to me to be a relatively straightforward process at the moment. One of the things that's been considered is that a trusted professional, which I presume might be an LBP or a registered engineer, would have involvement in the process and be able to build. But there's still some fish shocks in that in terms of ensuring compliance, ensuring that standards remain high, that buildings are fit for purpose, if we go into it without having the need for a consent. Right, we are going to go to Paris and catch up with the gold medal ceremony. I'm just keeping an eye on the gold medal ceremony so when that comes up. This is Hamish Kerr, who left an impressive two point three six meters during the competition, and then because they both ended up McEwen from the USA was the other jumper. They both got to two point three six, but then they were equal and so they raised the bar. They both failed. Then they put it to two point three six, which they both achieved. Then they couldn't jump that. Then they dropped it to two point three four, at which point Hamish Kerr let cleared the bar. McEwen from the USA did not. Hence Hamish Kurr is now the Olympic gold medalist in the high jump. So we will cross live and catch up with that. Just before the break, we were also talking with Toya about the build Smart which happens to be a transportable buildings company, and so she said, oh, what about the little R. So the R, of course is just it's a registered trademark. So they've gone out and registered the name build Smart good on them, which gives them the right to use it and means that other people can't. Just with regard to that and submissions like I mentioned Klose tomorrow, I understand this is discussion documents around the government's proposal to allow buildings of up to sixty square meter, so granny flats to be built without necessarily requiring a building consent, How will that be managed, how we ensure quality, all sorts of groups. I know Hamish Firth, who's a planner who's been part of this program from time to time. They've made submissions on it. I was talking to the head of the New Zealand Institute of Building Surveys actually during the week as well. They are going to put in a submission as well with suggestions. So all of this is up for grabs, and I think there's even there's submissions going in around things like rolling back the H one changes as well, that relates to insulation and energy efficiency in our building. So lots and lots of discussion, lots and lots of politics around it. But I do wonder whether if we are going to move to a space where, let's say, if you've got the land and if you've got the distance from the boundaries and so on, that you could build a sixty square meter granny flat without necessarily requiring it consent, whether the simplest pathway is to have most of those buildings being built by off site manufacturers who already have processes. And I suppose a compliance pathway as part of their build process. It's not a because they're doing them one after the other after the other after the other. They're not having to rethink it. And I'm thinking about the practicality. If someone said to me, could you come and build a sixty square meter granny flat for me? I want it to be you know, this long and this high, and you know a trust roof and all the rest of it. Could I do that without a set of plans? Maybe? But only just I mean typically we rely on plans to give some guidance around details. You know, where would I go to find out the span tables and the choice set out? And how do I calculate my insulation standards to ensure that it's compliant. Because even if something doesn't require a building consent, it still needs to be compliant with the building code. So in my thinking, it would be a real straightforward pathway to go. Hey, look, if we're going to offsite manufacturers who are doing these buildings day in and day out, they've already got all of their processes in place in terms of insuring compliance with the code. They can monitor their standards, they know that the building's fit for purpose, maybe that's where they are the first ones that are allowed to go. Yep, we can not necessarily get a building consent for this work, and we know that it's going to be to code. That's a thought anyway. You may have your own thoughts on that as well. Eight hundred and eighty ten eighty. We'll take calls again after news, sport and weather, and we'll take calls after the metal ceremony which we're waiting for. So if you're thinking, criky, hey you've missed the news, guys, you're right. We have missed the news, but don't worry. We will come to the news. But we do want to go live to Paris for the gold medal ceremony with Hamish cur The other topic, and I may have to dash from this, but I'll get started on it. I mentioned last week that I'd had a very in depth and fruitful discussion with someone who's an expert in ventilation, and in fact, after that I then needed to call on her expertise. Where the classic situation with a building, nineteen sixties building, it's a rental property, it's healthy homes compliant in the sense that it's got extraction in the bathroom, it's got extraction in the kitchen area, it's got a fixed form of heating that will heat the living areas, it's got insulation in the ceiling, it's got insulation in the underfloor, and it's got mold. And I'm going, so, how is it that a building with all of those things still ends up having, in the middle of winter a persistent issue with mold. So I've given a storm who will come on this show in a couple of weeks time, those details, and then asked her to sort of do an analysis of what's going on in the building. And I'm happy to share that with you when she joins us on the program as well. So that whole thing's actually this is another interesting thing with where building's at at the moment. There is now the beginning of a I suppose an industry inclusive lobby group, let's say, around ventilation. There's been so many stories over the last couple of months where people are going, oh, look, we're putting too much insulation into our houses. That's why they're overheating, which is untrue, unscientific, and untrue. Right, houses don't overheat because you put insulation in them. They overheat because they're poorly designed, they overheat because they've got a lack of ventilation. That's what causes overheating. It's not insulation does not cause overheating, might contribute theoretically because no, actually no, leave that alone. So ventilations are pretty key issue, particularly and I was wondering on a new build the other day that had rigid air barrier, had good quality, really good quality joinery, it had had air cells around all of the joinery, rigid air barrier, good quality joinery, high spec double glazing in it. That building's going to be not quite air type, but you know, getting closer and closer towards being considerably more air tight than buildings would have been in the past. So ventilation will become an even bigger issue for those sorts of buildings. So anyway, the ventilation I think it's collab will will be a sort of cross industry body that will promote better ventilation in our buildings, which I think will be exciting as well. O WA eight one hundred and eighty ten eighty, like I say, will be the number to call. We'll have time for some of your calls after new sport and weather. But as I said, we are going to go to Paris for the Olympic gold medal ceremony. This is Hamish cur in the high jump. Once we finish news, Sport and Weather, I'm also going to spend a bit of time chatting with Amanda Stains from the Keystone Trust. I was introduced to them at a conference a couple of months ago. They are a trust that provides scholarship and mentoring to young people to give them a bit of a hand up to get involved in the property and construction industry. It's not really like apprenticeships, but it will support people in that It's one of those things that in many cases there may well be students who don't have much money that it may not have the family support or the industry connections, and then getting into property or construction might be a little bit difficult how to get a terret tertiary education carve out of career. So we're talking with Amanda Stains from the Keystone Trust after the break as well. Here we go to Paris for the gold medal ceremony.
Speaker 3: Direct moment.
Speaker 11: An Olympic high jump medal ceremony featuring a kiwi. The ninth time we're going to hear the New Zealand national anthem at these Olympic Games. Never before have there been that many to enjoy. And hamous Kerr and the most dramatic of circumstances, still struggling to comprehend what we saw an hour or so ago when he won a jump off against Shelby McEwen to win gold silver in London and rio gold shared in Tokyo. And now a bronze medal for Mutaza Bashima of Kata, the broad smile for Bashem Watt, an ambassador he's been for high jump for Olympic Games. Four Olympic medals for Muta's Eser Bashim checks the medal out. We've got a couple of these, he says, different colors. Here is the American Shelby McEwan, a surprise silver medallist. I think for many people, there weren't too many tousing his credentials before this competition. But here he is a silver medalist, a PB today of two thirty six, in second place in the highjup competition. But here's your moment, New Zealand, your moment.
Speaker 3: Hamish Kur medalists the words I'm sure he's dreamed of hearing.
Speaker 11: Gold medalist and Olympic champion everything his heart desired. Hamosh cur on the top step of the podium with a glittering gold medal around his neck and never as a high jump gold medal being one and more dramatic fashion than Hamish Curves at Paris twenty twenty four, closes his eyes, a deep breath and prepares for the national anthem of New Zealand.
Speaker 12: If you can stand of New Zealand.
Speaker 11: Ghost bumps for breakfast on your Sunday morning and a stirring rendition of New Zealand's national anthem Carrington and Co and Kerr can you believe that? And the three medalists now on the top step together, medals in mouths. The traditional bite on that most precious of metal and most precious of all is the one worn by Hamish Kerr of New Zealand, Gold medalist, Olympic champion.
Speaker 4: Your news talk ZIB, Let's go to news. Well, it's been an exciting morning given that we've been able to cross life to Paris for the gold medal ceremony with Hamish Kerr. Of course, overnight Lisa Carrington and Lydia Coe both achieving gold medals as well. So it's it has it's been a fantastic sporting event. We won't mention the all blacks perhaps, And I got that because I've just texted Amanda, who is our next guest on the program, and she raised that. So I'm going to blame you, Amanda for raising the all blacks at the stage. Amanda, are very very good morning and welcome to the program.
Speaker 15: Good morning. Oh that is so mean. Now I'm going to have the entire nation not at all.
Speaker 4: Not at all, Amanda.
Speaker 3: I was at.
Speaker 4: A construction event a little while ago, and a couple of young people got up to talk about their experience of entering into the construction sector and carving a career and something that perhaps in a sector that they'd not been introduced to through their families or family connections. And then the reason that they were there is because they were supported by the Keystone Trust. So tell us about the trust and your role with the trust and what does the Keystone Trust do for young people?
Speaker 15: Thank you, that's really generous for you to ask. Keystone Trust established thirty years ago. We're having our birth day this year in October, which is really really quite special. So this all goes back to a gentleman called Graham Briggins who was a property developer in Wellington. However, he began his life as a young lad in Timaru. Parents were two Salvation Army officers and so for him, unfortunately going on to tertiary education was not part of the plan, but he really really wanted to. However, he found his way into property, started off life as a car park attendant actually, and by the time of his very untimely death in nineteen ninety four of February, he had two property development companies listed on the New Zealand Stock Exchange. His widow Binti, and a couple of his colleagues and friends decided that that was not going to be the be all and end all of Graham's life, so February he passed away. By October they had set up the Graham Brigands Property Truck and in nineteen ninety five they offered their first two scholarships for tertiary education to two students from Fongerdae. Today, thirty years on, three hundred and four scholarships later, we are currently with sixty students all around the motives and we have sixty four incredible industry sponsors who support these students, so first I can work out my only in my research. We are the only trust that is set up to provide scholarships to young people with financial and circumstantial issues. You know, life comes with all sorts of baggage at times. But who have an absoute passion for property and construction and one to study at a tertiary level. So we provide them with a three year scholarship. It's about sixteen and a half thousand dollars. And talk to any of our alumni and may us go, that's amazing, But I think what they say on top of that is an experienced mentor. We train the mentors from those sixty four sponsor companies to support our year two students. You can imagine the network that they walk into. You know, they've got companies and theirs which just follow them for the rest of their lives. Well being support because we have a student liaison manager who now works with us and helps our students in terms of just how do you manage a time? How do you get things organized? Because life gets in the way. But it's those industry connections, it's the internship opportunities they really kick start their careers and then we help them into their first job. You know, we're now coming into that point for our final year students that we assist them into employment, which is really tough because properly and construction sectors feeling a little bit, you know, a bit fragile at the moment. But it takes the fact that our students come along with a gold seal. You know, our students and our alumni of which there are now over two hundred around the country and internationally. They like working for our sponsors because they're all part of the family. It's all being they knew that these companies and these people had their back while they were a student, and now it's their turn to turn around and support them and be their amazing employee. Our students learn what the sector means because when you go to UNI as you can appreciate or to a tertiary provider, you learn your respective node and discipline. But when you get out into the business world, you have to understand everybody else's business. You need to be understand what makes their business tick and what they need to get out of a project. So for us, we're able to introduce a student who might be studying engineering to someone who's doing surveying, to someone who's doing construction management, someone who's the architect, someone who's the construction company. So they can actually go, ah, so if I'm working with a quantity surveyor, this is what their role is. This is what they need to get out of this project to make it a success for the project and also for them in their company. So if you can actually have a much more collaborative relationship, you go to have a much more relaxed conversation when they get a little bit tetchy because you know, they do a little bit when it comes to construction projects.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it can be a but combative can't It sometimes can.
Speaker 15: Be, which is why what is amazing is we have got some incredible legal sponsors. In fact, one which has been with us for thirty years is Bell Gully and they have been promoting us and working with us as a pro bono sponsor since nineteen ninety four. Bailey's have been with us since nineteen ninety four, Stride Property in the various guises now Stride with us after thirty years. That I think just goes to show how they believe in the coppopper of this trust and they believe in our students and they love being part of their success, and.
Speaker 4: I understand that at the moment, applications for scholarships are open. So who's eligible and how do you apply? I'm just thinking about people listening to the show who might have a nephew or a niece, or their own children or a grandchild or family friend who has perhaps shown that interest in the construction and property sector, but maybe has grown up in an environment where that's not what is talked about at the dinner table and so on. Wants to get there, but doesn't quite have the means to get there. So how do people apply?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 15: Yeah, we find from the vast majority of our students they've talked with somebody, maybe it's the careers advisor, maybe somebody in their family who's gone, what do you think about this, and they've explored it and seen that has been a credible opportunity. So yes, we are currently taking applications to the first of all s Timber for our school leaver scholarships. Applications need to They'll be online through our website dub dub dub dot Keystone Trust dot org dot MZ.
Speaker 4: To be Keystone Trust dot org dot NZ Perfect please thank you.
Speaker 15: Yes, New Zealand citizen or a permanent resident facing financial challenges, difficult circumstances. As I say, often those two things come together. Minimum of university entrants. You need to be able to prove to us that you can study at a tertiary level. You need really good written and verbal communication skills because as we all know, in this industry, it's all about communication. You've got to be able to engage with people, be able to talk what's happening to you. You need to have the intention of enrolling at a university for next year in a property or construction related degree yep. And you need tertiary focused and a passion real passions, be chosen course in future career. You talk with people, go and get some information because all of that needs to go into your application form so that we can get a sense of who you are and then we will be able to have a much more informed conversation with you if you get to the application stage. So we are offering this year thirteen Study Awards, which is for school leaders, and we also have the C three School Leaver Scholarship which is for a school leader who is studying at either aut massive or unit Tech for a degree in construction.
Speaker 4: Fantastic. I'd encourage people to go to the website, and also I have to say I'm delighted to having a look through some of the people that support you and the companies that support you, to recognize some names of people that I work with and have worked with. So that's fantastic. But it's a great and inspirational website. If you want to help out, you can, and if you know someone who might fit the criteria, then go to Keystone Trust dot org dot NZ and go from their Amanda, thank you so much for your time this morning.
Speaker 15: Oh thank you my pleasure to talk with you. Lovely at don't trust.
Speaker 4: All the very best. Take care by a good.
Speaker 15: Zib right yo.
Speaker 4: Thinking about renovating your kitchen, here's an interesting development. This year sees a new type of kitchen bench top ento the market called Imperio. Made of a new layered compound. Imperio offers the texture and durability of stone without the presence of toxic chemicals like silica. It's incredibly tough, single singeproof, scratchproof, crackproof, moisture proof, and heat resistant up to two hundred and twenty degrees. Imperio is offered exclusively in New Zealand by the O'Brien Group, a family owned business who have been fitting out Kiwi kitchens since nineteen seventy two. They describe Imperio as a surface for life, an ultra durable bench top designed to stand up to a lifetime of use. Impera looks the part as well. Available in a range of designs, it provides a natural quality finish, making for a stylish centerpiece for any home. Best of all, it's highly affordable option to fit your budget. See it for yourself at imperio dot co dot nz.
Speaker 9: Zed by.
Speaker 4: Your news talk Sai'd be just about time to jump into the garden with a red kline past again. If you were tuned in listening with my conversation with Amanda, have a look at the Keystone Trust. Like I said, I was introduced to them only a couple of months ago by some of the people who had gone through their program and were now involved in the early stages of a career in building surveying. So it's construction and property, but the fact that they get that wrap around support as well. It's the mentoring, it's the internship and yes, it's the money for the scholarships as well. It is remarkable. So if you know a young person who might fit those criteria and it's you know, the standards. You have to achieve a certain standard in order to apply for this. But it is open to people who would typically not get an opportunity to do tertiary education in the construction and property field. So have a look at it. It is Keystone Trust dot org dot z And as I mentioned to Amanda, if you scroll through and see the groups that support them, I'd encourage you to support the groups that support them as well. I think they do a fantastic job. And it's thirty years you know, this is not this is not new and they've done is it over three hundred scholarships so far, which is fantastic radio. Let's jump into the garden with a climb past. It is the number to call eight hundred eighty ten eighty. You can text any questions for it through to nine two nine two.
Speaker 1: For more from the Resident Builder with Peter Wolfcamp, listen live to Newstalks be on Sunday mornings from Sex or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio.