Speaker 1: Live from the Export Beer Garden Studios. This is the byc where today we'll be analyzing New Zealand's first performance of the T twenty World Cup. Though to call of the performance would be flattering, a shambles would be a more accurate description. Whatever geniuses thought it would be a good idea to send our troops to a World Cup with zero preparation needs a thorough are slapping. It was subpar in every aspect, from the woeful fielding to the stilted, clueless batting. We were completely outplayed and now find ourselves with only an outside chance of advancing to the next stage. In need, we need reminding the result Afghanistan one fifty nine for six New Zealand. My god, are you vomiting? Am I?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: I was getting a bit of vomb in the mouth there, fellow, Sorry about that A poultry A disgusting seventy five. But let's sleep right into the correspondence and I'll kick us off. Fellows, if you don't mind, This is from Farhad and Chittagong, Hi. Guys, does conways ain't disoriented left hand reflect the state of New Zealand's team in this World Cup? You keep calling Afghanistan match. The Afghanistan match a banana skin, but the outcome was more obvious than that. West Indies are beatable, and yet black Caps can be out of the equation even if they win the rest of their games.
Speaker 3: And I'll fly straight on from Farhad and Chittagong with Dean.
Speaker 2: Can I just say, Can I just say? It was less of a bananaska and more like encountering a suburb of fruit shops. You know, it was much much bigger than a banana skin. I think Farhan's got something. He's on the money here as you're way.
Speaker 3: I'm intrigued as well by the reference to a disoriented left hand, but we can't get to This is from Dean w. The no warm up scenario is just beyond belief. We play a trackload of meaningless tea twenty eyes, but we play none before an actual tournament. This was our top three against the Afghans, who played three games in a week before they played US. I might add Finellen last played the competitive match on February twenty three, Devin Conway last played a competitive match on February twenty three, and Kan Williamson last played a competitive match on April seven, Phillips hadn't played since February twenty five. Was it news to Gary Stead that Afghanistan are a bona fide side who would likely prosper in Guiennese conditions? Incredible mismanagement but sadly commonplace under this coach or plenty to plenty to get stuck.
Speaker 1: In sink your teeth into their fellas well. I mean, you know, first and foremost, I think that Dean makes a really good point. Afghanistan to no easy beats. They're a good side, particularly when it comes to T twenties. But let's hoe into it. Until the lack of preparation it showed pull forward in every single aspect of our game. That fielding was woeful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was absolutely diabolical. And I'm sure, as Dylan will be telling us shortly, it's not an anomaly that our footing was like that. It started to get pretty messy about twelve months ago, something like that really has fallen off a cliff. But yeah, look, I totally agree like that. I had a look at thet what was said around why we didn't play the woman so and what Gary said was it's a westerns is a tough place to start, it's hard to get people to Trinity, Dad and Tobago. At the same time, the Australians went through something similar and they just played with the nine guys that they had there. They chucked a couple of coaches in and they just made sure that their bad has got a bat. And yeah, I think there's an element. Is it complacency or is it the fact that we don't have as much control over the players frankly as what we kind of need and what we're used to. I'm not sure what it is, but clearly there was a decision made by somebody to rely purely on historical experience in the Caribbean, and it clearly wasn't good enough, particularly against the team as you say, Jas and as Dean w said, was always going to be really bloody difficult. They've ripped teams in the last fifty over World Cup. Sure they've never beat in New Zealand before, but that's no reason that they were never going to do something like this and be capable of it.
Speaker 1: Dylan, can I liken it to this, It's like old Hoody j packing up a cricket bat after not having played a game for twenty years and We've seen this a bit and we're you know, I'm playing for the ACC not a bloody clue, not a clue, but serious mismanagement. You've got to say, really, don't you.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Paul raised a very interesting little point there that I wonder if Warren's expansion and that is the sense that this was player driven decision that coming home from the IPL, they wanted more home time as a posed to more preparation time. Is that complacency or is that arrogance? Is that thinking that you're pretty much going to use Afghanistan as you warm up game. I would hate for that to be the prevailing thought and the team, but you know, maybe it was. Maybe. I mean, it's inconceivable that you would go to an ODI World Cup on this sort of preparation. It's inconceivable even that you would. I mean, you go into a test season. I guess tests are a little bit different. It's pretty it's a bit harder to get warm up games for those. But you think about what you used to do on a cricket tour. You'd play if you went to England, for example, you'd play six county games. The warm up game seems to have disappeared, and certainly it's less important than it used to be. But this just exposed, I guess, the fallacy of the idea that you can just plug in and play.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was interesting too, and I think you touched on us. But you know, Afghanistan in the lead, and over the last couple of months they've been on tour in Sri Lanka together. They played a full on series against Ireland, a bunch of I think they played everything there, you know, tests one day, is a bunch of teacher meetings and they played those games in Harja. Then they had a warm up game which I think got terminated early against Oman. They played Scotland and then of course they had a very very handy first game up against Uganda. So you couldn't we couldn't have hit them at probably a bit. We couldn't have come across a better prepared Afghanistan team than the one that we played as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, you would hate to think, Dylan, as you stated that that was the mentality of the New Zealand side, which was we'll use Afghanistan as our warm up game, you know, and that'll click us into gear. You would hope that wasn't the case, and it reeks of arrogance if it was, and we got our pants pulled down. Conway at wicket keeper, I don't like it. How do you guys feel about it?
Speaker 3: Ah, dreadful And I can kind of understand the rationale. It certainly helps the balance of your team if you've got a top water player, that wicket keeps sure. And I can understand the rationale of this T twenty was being played on ipl wickets or even somewhere like Australia where it's a good true wickets, the ball is not going to beat the bat a lot of times. Somewhere like the West Indies and in the States, which is a little bit of an unknown, but where the ball tends to have a little bit more balance, you know, there's a bit more balance between bat and ball. I think a good wicket keeper is critical and Devin Conway is the very definition of a stopper. Yes, he is there to stop balls going to the boundary. He's there for the odd ball that beats the bat to stop it to go into the boundary for four buys. He's not there to catch next because he really can't. He's not there to get stumpings because he really can't, and that kind of filtered through the team. I felt like he made a couple of critical errors in the first couple of overs. Some of them were partially understandable and it would have requori I had a good keeper to get to it inside the edge. One very unlucky not to be bold when sat and to beat the bad it clipped the leg stump. But it kind of you can almost see the rest of the team lose their confidence as a result. There's absolutely no excuse for him dropping that basic return from Matt Henry for the runout what should have been a run of the mill run out. Yes, so they've got they've got thinking to do there, and I'm not quite sure what their options are, but we can talk about that later on, I'm sure.
Speaker 1: And God forbid he break his hand again, you know, he breaks his hand again, you know, put him put him in the firing line.
Speaker 3: That's a good point, coming back from a broken fingers, stick and wicket keeper. That sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, and you know I mentioned before about how we've cited the fact that we've got Caribbean Premier League experience. Well, there's a guy that's been to the Caribbean Premier League and played as a wicket keeper and his name's Tim Seifert. And if you use the same thinking, why isn't he there? Like it's sort of this weird thing where it's like, we really want guys that are experienced, what like it being a wicket keeper in the West Indies. When we picked the one guy that we've had it's been a wicket keeper in the West Indies, we don't pick him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, moving on from that, we left two hundred and ninety t twenty wickets on the sideline. There shit ton of experience and Ratchen Ravendra, who has been playing not selected as well. What the bloody hell are we thinking, Dylan, This is crazy? What is it with Ratch? And just put the guy in the team for god?
Speaker 3: Yeah, one of the few guys that's actually been playing cricket and he I mean he didn't have a great IPL but he finished the tournament quite strongly. Yeah, he's been playing cricket. They didn't pick him. They didn't picked him South, he didn't pick each Sodi. I think in that fifteen man squad you can make arguments for any of combination to make the eleven. But it was actually a friend of mine who of a cricketing persuasion, who probably feels the same way about Cantabrians as the Daily Mail feels about Mega Markel. But he kind of pointed out to me that, and I never thought about this at the time, but Matt Henry, who's got a economy rate slightly worse than Tim Saudi, he's got a strike rate slightly worse than Tim Saudi, and an average slightly worse than Tim Saudi, and a ship tone less wickets in Tim Saudi, gets the not over Tim Soude. I wasn't quite as offended by it because I think, if you're going on current form, then yes, he's probably bowling better than Tim at the mayment, and he was coming off some ibl so I could kind of understand that. But there is this incredible scenario now where New Zealand left the highest wookt taker in T twenty Internationals out of their eleven and the fourth highest book could take her in T twenty T twenty Internationals out of the eleven, and Jimmy Neisham too. I think he could have make a really strong case for him to get a run. But yeah, I'm not sure if the configuration of the eleven was the biggest problem on the night.
Speaker 1: No pull forward your thoughts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I could care with a lot of that, But yeah, the Chapman over avenger, which I assume was sort of the selection decision there, you do get the sense that, I don't know, there's this kind of a well, Chapman's done it for New Zealand and Pakistan. He got that eighty ball forty two or whatever it was, you know, in the sort of C team series where they overperformed, and it felt like he was picked as a as a kind of a nod to that. But yeah, I mean it's just hard to get your head around why a per Why a guy who has been red hot at international level at scored runs against Australia, as you say, is getting picked in IPL teams can't make that team. It doesn't That did not make sense to me. Tim Soudy, Yes, I think it's a bit of a fifty to fifty with Noir Henry. But if you look at Tim Southie's performances over the last couple of years, specifically in t twenties, not that bad, you know, going it's around eight runs and over averaging sort of around twenty nineteen twenty nineteen point five strike great getting a wick at every fifth steen or sixteen balls, better than his career stats, and it felt like a weird decision to me not not to.
Speaker 3: Pick him any balls at the tough moments too. Doesn't he bowls at the power play.
Speaker 1: At the death? Yeah. Well, one thing we can't make an excuse for was the fielding. And one of you guys mentioned earlier on that maybe the rots started to happen at the end of last season. I mean, is Chapman carrying a virus that he's brought into the side, Because you know, New Zealand sides historically, Dylan have always prided ourselves on our fielding. You know we're a good fielding side. But the fielding in that match was beyond belief. I was pulling my luxurious hair out watching the drop catches, the missed runouts. It was just as shambles. But once again, is that a symptom of a lack of play?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Possibly, but it wasn't. It was happening last summer. That three NOL series whitewash at the hands of Australia in the t twenties was marked by just really wretched New Zealand fielding and catching in particular. But it wasn't just the catching. I mean the finale I went on the boundary was bizarre. Didn't even hit his hands before it hit his midriff. Ye had Darryl Mitchell fluffing one on the boundary at least two overthrows that was completely unnecessary. I think Mark Chapman was involved in both of them. And there was one interesting one on a that they showed on a wide shot over. It must have been by spider cam and they throw the ball into Trent Boltzy and he wasn't expecting it went past him. And you see the guy on the boundary, who normally would be up running up inside the ring to cut off the chance of overthrows, suddenly realizes that's what he's meant to do and he takes off so late, and it just looked at shambles. It looked like a team that hadn't played cricket, not just in the last few months, but maybe he hadn't played cricket since the first COVID lockdown.
Speaker 1: It's interesting, Paul Forward, I had a thought while I was watching that New Zealand fielding performance, and I thought, geez, we need to get pulled forward in there after your sensational four catches. Was it in an acc match just plucking the ball out of the blue sky. There maybe a bit of pull forward action with the fielding, but seriously, though, no excuses for that, No excuses.
Speaker 2: I do love a bit of one hand catching. Yeah, well, as you say, it wasn't just sort of like one guy there was that. I remember the game. Wasn't there when Mark Chapman just had this complote it was the magnet for the ball and he dropped everything. Well, it wasn't like that. It was like, as you say, a range of players did something dumb during that during that match against Afghanistan, and yeah, it just looked like rust, you know, That's what it looked like. I saw the West Indies this week said that they came into their first game they felt like they were about sixty percent and then by the time they had their second game they were feeling like they were playing at about ninety percent. And I couldn't help but think, yeah, it feels like New Zealand came in at about six percent. Particularly from a fielding point of point of view, I just that's a really weird one for me because you know that's now home and away a massive series against Australia where the fielding shitouse and then we go to a World Cup when the fielding drops like it's still shithouse. Like it just doesn't make sense and it's absolutely agonizing to watch. But when you've got Simon Dulan commentary saying that you know the New Zealanders are fielding with hands like feet, that's that is a that's devastating, I would imagine for the Kiwiks.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, we're going to take our first break and then we'll be back to dig even further. Fellers. Welcome back to this b y C podcast. Phineas slog. Let's have a little look at the batting here. What an awful shot, Dylan, what a good nut.
Speaker 3: It was a good nut. We'll give fuzzle hug for rookie. A little bit of critic here. Yeah, but it turned around the corner your corect It was an awful shot. It was Yeah.
Speaker 1: We we seem to have this perpetual question with Fan Allen, which is yal or nay? I feel like we're not convinced.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not convinced. His failure rate's too high. My worry with him is that there's obviously some talent there. Yes, he's got a game that's never going to be consistent. So I think we've got to get this idea out of our head that he's going to be a Caine Williamson consistent performance run assimulator. He's there for his explosive talent and when he gets in to win games. But at the same time, you can't have a failure rate that's that high. I did some stats the other day, and I wish I had them in front of me now. But I think he faces six balls or fewer more than one and every four times he bats. I think he's only got beyond twenty runs in a third of his forty four T twenty I Internationals' that's not sustainable. I don't think. No, well, unless he is genuinely winning new games and those other ones. But he's not. He's really not. I don't And the worry for me is that I don't see improvement.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and and then, and here's the thing, Paul Forward, is that you know you can be a dasher, you can be an explosive player, but you're still you know, it should still be it within your means. You know, when you get a good nut, to keep it out, you know, to stay out there to actually learn those skills too. I don't have to have an almighty tonuk at every ball. I can actually give myself a bit more time. And to Dylan's point, he doesn't seem to have learned that lesson. It's like, you know, the outhouse or bust or whatever. He just he just goes for everything.
Speaker 2: I agree. I don't know whether it is, and I'm guilty of making an excuse here, but I'm genuinely curious I guess as to whether he has been told you must go absolutely help a leather from ball one. Don't take a cighter. We've got Kin and Devin there who will sort of hang around and run that sort of sheet anchor and go through the gears. Your job is to absolutely blaze away from ball one. But what I don't then understand is that when he gets out first ball exactly like he did, taking no sighters, we're not chasing like fifty thousand runs. He didn't need to be doing that. It does look to me like that's just writing instructions and then you go, okay, so that's fine, that he's going to do that. So then what we do is we then bring out our normal batting order. So what we're saying is we're giving Finn Allen the license, but it's not really part of our overall tactics to go hammer and tongs from ball one no matter who's batting. And that's the bit that it just seems a bit inconsistent to me, Dylan. You know, I think has a bridge score is something like twenty five or sixteen. Finellen and his medium scores fourteen. He's got nine thirties, four fifties and two hundreds and forty four backs. So yeah, as you say, the recipe doesn't work a hell of a lot. Where it does, it's great, but yeah, it feels like it's very low percentage stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do we have a lack of flexibility in our batting order?
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I think Paul just absolutely hit the nail on the head there where he says finale and fails a lot when he does fail. What that gives you is Conway and Williamson in the middle together, and that is not frightening any bowling attack around the world. In the power play, No, both fine players, but they should not be betting together in a power play. I don't think, and I really think New Zealanders just locked into this very prosaic way of playing teacher any quickert and it's been figured out. I'd actually include Darryl Mitchell in that as well, who's a really good ball striker and scores at a good strike rate, but he is not a from ball one no guy. He actually needs quite a few sighters. So if you're going to have Finellen with that license, and you're going to bank into your strategy that he is going to fail sixty percent of the time that he plays, surely the next guy in has to be a guy that carries on. That has to be a Phillips. Although even Phillips I think is a little bit of a nudger early, but you need someone to carry that momentum on. You can't have a strategy that lasts for six balls and then you go, right, we have to bin that strategy and go back to train the.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, knock it around.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, Jase, that's exactly right, you know it is. If you're going to say to Allen, go if you're going to say, as a team, we're going to go balls out for the for the power play the first six overs. If Finn Allen gets out, the next guy in is the next best striker after Finellen. So yeah, absolutely, I think what you said is right. You know it is it's it's it's Jimmy Nish. You know he'd be your next man in or at the very least, whoever you play up there is just going hellful leather because that's your tactic. It's the Tim David maneuver. And we saw India overnight. You know that they brought an ax sharpatel when they lost an early wicket, and that's because they're saying, we don't really give a shit about the wickets. We're trying to get as many runs as we can in the first six overs. And that's fine. But if you're going to do it, commit Yeah.
Speaker 1: And you've actually that's a really good point, Dylan, you've actually made I never thought of that. You know that when he fails then we just fall back to that nudges and lack of explosive sort of batting. Afghanistan were excellent and are they underrated still.
Speaker 3: Think?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think they're a dynamic teacher each.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're a good side I was.
Speaker 3: Looking at that team and thinking, hmm, you know a lot of those players would get in the New Zealand first eleven Bloody Oats.
Speaker 1: They would better than New Zealand maybe pull forward.
Speaker 2: Well, I think I think what's happened is that their bowling's always been pretty good, particularly their spin bowling. Then they've got their pacete bowling sworded and they've never been terrible at paste bowling. But Afruki is obviously on a bit of a tear. What they have nailed and started to nail consistently, particularly against big teams, is the batting. Their batting has come up massively and Goerbaz that eighty or fifty six, Zadron got forty four or forty one. They're the first two guys to ever put together consecutive century partnerships in a T twenty World Cup. They are frightening and if you're going to drop catches and misrunouts against them, they are going to punish you. I think they put a hell of a lot of stock in those in those top two batters, But if you let them get away, you know you're they're gonna They're going to wreck absolute havoc and the threat of Rashid Khan is just horrible. I think for batting teams when you're facing you know that they've got Rashid Khan to come on. I mean Rushi Khann's record. He he has got one hundred and forty four wickets at an average of fourteen, a strike grade of fourteen, in an economy rate of six runs per over. He the Afghani Afridi is a freak.
Speaker 3: Can't point out too that they were missing their best new ball spinner in Mougi. He would have been very tricky on that se if it's not that they needed any more tricks when New Zealand collapsed for seventy five. The one thing he might have added to is he's a comical fielder, so that might have balanced the ledger.
Speaker 2: So that's sobering. The other thing I was just going to mention, just very quickly, was I'm sure I read it or heard an interview with Mitchell Center where he said that the pitch changed significantly in the second innings, and I was like, what, like, yeah, you know, I assume that we chose to bat second so that the Jew, when the Jew came in, we didn't have to face that we were bowling, and obviously it's good for bad as shitty for fields, terrible for bowlers. So if you get us, then did all of that with a dewey ball. Pretty sensational effort.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just on the pictures, there's some shockers. Yeah, I mean, I mean, you look at the listany of low scores. We're not looking at two hundreds and two thirties or two four there's a litany of In some of the games I've been watching, I'm shocked at the quality of the actual wicket, you know, ducking and skidding along the ground. What the hell's going on?
Speaker 3: There are the droppings for New York dreadful. I've had all sorts of issues with that. I noticed that the curator of the droppings, who's the Adelaide Oval Curada, Damien Hoff I think his name is, said that he identified grass shoots were growing up in the cracks of the wicket in New York, so they've had to lay it well. I don't want to get into the turf management, but they've clearly got issues there that aren't going to be solved in time for the following games. I think New York gets played on victually every day for the next couple of days and then that's gone. Then they moved to Florida for the rest of the US kind of segment in the Western These wickets are playing actually like you'd expect them to play if you watch the CPL, this is what they do slow. It's not ipl style, big Best style T twenty cricket.
Speaker 2: But the pictures aren't shiny as what you're saying.
Speaker 3: Yes, if you look at it, you think maybe New Zealand could prosper on these type of wickets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, without Dibley doubles. It's interesting, fellas. I was looking at the table thinking to myself, my god, we're in a world of pain here, the West Indies coming up. Do we need to look at some changes?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I think we do. Nich I could make a case for three of the people that missed out getting around. I might look to play South instead of Henry, although that's still a fifty to fifty call for me. I wouldn't be offended either way, but n them, I would definitely bring in and Retchen Avenger. Like you guys, I can't believe he wasn't in that eleven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean so that do you bring do you bring do you bring Chipman games and for Chipman and then who are you bringing I do that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'd probably go Nian for Chapman, Revenger for Conway, which would then require either phineas slug or a real turn back the clock, and Glenn Phillips is keeper. But let's face it, neither of them can do any worse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Actually they could level up the bet. They could just level up the batting basically, bring Revengder in for Chapman and bring Nisham in as a bowler and get rid of Henry and and and just deep in that batting.
Speaker 3: Line up though is I mean he can go for plenty so that he can it would be bold. But yeah, you could do that.
Speaker 1: Because the worrying thing too, is that in the West Indies, as you say, we were saying earlier, coming into a bit of form, looking looking strong, you know, and on their home to going to be difficult to beat Paul Forward.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean they've got they have got some aggressive batters. Their skip of Rodmin Powell, he bashes the living Bejesus out of it. I think I thought it. Sort of stat which sets strike rate in the death overs is one hundred and ninety seven against Pace, So yeah, let's let's not do that to him. Let's see And of course a very tricky spinner is a keil I was saying in particular as a real gun and a real power play specialist. One thing that we do need to keep an eye on is the weather too, which it looks like on Monday, which it will be played, the games played on Monday. In Where is it Dylan, it's in. It's in the Brian Lara.
Speaker 3: Isn't it Taruba? South of Port of Spain? Kind of on the still on the left hand coast of Trinidad, but much further south than Queen's Park Oval.
Speaker 2: So yeah, thunderstorms are forecast in a seventy nine percent chance of rain. So you know, even if New Zealand get out there and look magnificent against the West Indies, it could get washed away, which would be pretty tragic.
Speaker 1: Yes, just looking at the table, Dylan, Yes, it's not looking good. As was stated in our correspondence, we could win the rest of our games and still not get through.
Speaker 3: Now what would need? What appears we need now? Especially with Westernies bowling Uganda out for thirty nine or something. Is we pretty much need to beat the West Indies and then hope Afghanistan also turn over the West Indies. Yeah, that would get us through. But just while we're on the subject of Trinidad's follow on from last week where my guennes all time eleven, Trinidad is probably the second richest of the West West Indies conglomeration in terms of the talent factory. My eleven for Trinidad all time eleven is Jeffrey Stollmeyer and Darren Bravo opening, Brian Lara three, Larry Gomes four, Charlie Davis number five Larry Constantine. What a great man he was civil rights activist as well. He's the captain and all rounder. Bernard Julian's another all rounder. Derek Murray is the wicked keeper, Ian Bishop, Shannon Gabriel and Sonny Ramaden are the bowlers and Geezy some good players that miss out on that team like Dwayne Bravo and Denise Ramden, Phil Simmons soon Alnarene. But last week I asked you the question who was the Goanese cricketer who died in Hamilton a couple of years ago. Patrick Patterson was the first one to write him with a correct fella. Hey, correct answer, Hey, fellas, great to hear you back. I think this week's mystery man is Bruce Hamilton Paradoo. Quite a coincidence that he ended up dying in the city of his middle name. Cheers Patrick and thank you. That is the correct answer. This week's question is which Trinidaddian cricketer died in christ Church eleven years ago?
Speaker 2: We Indian cricketers keep dying in New Zealand.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know so if you know the answer to that, back of an envelope will give you the details later on in the podcast.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what fellas looking at the te there, she's going to be a ding dong battle against Guyana.
Speaker 3: Against Diana, p and g and g or.
Speaker 1: Gander. But you are correct. I think that's going to be a classic match. New Zealand bowled out for a poultry sixty three and the Ugandans coming storming home.
Speaker 2: We may see some flexibility in the batting order if we're chasing net run rate, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: Was it too late to change the uniform? Oh?
Speaker 3: Please God, let them change their uniform. But there's too late. I think they're locked into this strangely. I mean, it's quite a radical color to hell, but they've somehow managed to make it really dull. Yeah, I don't know what was wrong with beige or black.
Speaker 1: You don't know what's wrong with beige.
Speaker 2: Or you're not going to get any argument from me on that. Hey, that till Jase. Just so you know, we came third in the nineteen ninety nine World Cup wearing it, So that's not a great inspiration the uniform in which we game third.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like it. I think it's dashing. Do you teal as opposed to beige?
Speaker 3: Beige?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Bege is something about it? Bese evokes these memories that are almost visceral from the early eighties, true be andidating from the camera penning to the New Zealand team waiting and waiting to bat or smoking cigarettes.
Speaker 1: Maybe they just feel really stupid wearing teal and that's why they played so badly. They were just really self conscious.
Speaker 3: Possible.
Speaker 1: Let's take another ad break and we'll be back to discuss the rest of the tournament. Yes, indeed, welcome back to the b YC. India beat Pakistan by six runs, very low scoring affair of that little doozy, but India sneaking through Dylan Kleaver.
Speaker 3: Yeah, massive, obviously geopolitical ramifications for that, but that was paid in New York to engage the South Asian despora. Job done, I guess it was just a shame that conditions probably didn't match the occasion.
Speaker 2: Yes, thirty four thousand seat stadium built in five months. Pretty extraordinary. It's not really New.
Speaker 1: York, is it.
Speaker 2: It's long Island. It's bloody miles out of New York. You can see New York if you stand on the roof of the stadium and get binoculars and look into the distance. You know, it's pretty ridiculous. It was. I enjoyed the game. I've got to say that those games are just sensational. India Pakistan. I think Pakistan bottled this one though. I mean they needed a run a ball and they got Jaspit boomerd at the end. But when they needed to run a ball, they still kept trying to bolt the living Bejesus out of it over the stands, and it just it was quite frustrating to watch. I did just want to say, if you haven't seen the halfway entertainment in that match, which featured some Emirates air hostess is doing not even a cheerleading dance, just to sort of walk down the aisle, kind of synchronized walk. And then Ricky Ponting doing a super enthusiastic introduction live at the ground, one of the most colossal waste of money of all time. Ricky Ponting out on the field introducing the Emirates air hostess is well, we're being subjected, to Steve Smith in the commentary not good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, God, God help us all Ossie knocking over the English no real surprises, no.
Speaker 3: But two things or England. This England white Bull unit has probably been viewed in a similar way as we're viewing the Black Caps at the moment when they're pressed back home. They are not happy with Matthew Mott at all. It was a really limp performance from England on both sides of the ball. Australia, though, jeepers just look annoyingly efficient when they bring hazer Wood Cummins Zampa. These guys just know how to bowl in any conditions you put them on. They're already looking like a tough out in America.
Speaker 1: Well, let's just call it, shall we. Let's just be done. Just give it to the now pull forward. Wait don't we.
Speaker 2: If I knew that they were going to win, I would definitely stop watching it. It's quite a good point, jas So yeah, like it might save me a bit of time.
Speaker 1: I mean.
Speaker 2: The other thing that they've got, Dylan, and I know you're probably just about to get to this is first of all, they've got the first score past two hundred and the tournament Jase, just for you. Yes, so you did have to watch David Warner and Travis Head go for it. They combined for seventy three or thirty four balls, Australia with seventy four for two at the end of those first six overs, just to show that compare contrast with the way New Zealand's going about things at the moment. Very different contrasting styles.
Speaker 1: Bangladesh beat for a lunkabo two wickets.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this was quite big for the tournament. It effectively put Sri Lanka out. I think they would need a miracle to get in from here. Bangladesh almost made a mess of it. They weren't chasing a whole lot one.
Speaker 2: Hundred and twenty five. I think they were chasing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the guy that just seems to never not be part of the Bangladesh team. That's double negative with the every terrible grammar and syntax. But Marmadulla, he was the key for them, got them home. But that that group what group are they in?
Speaker 2: And Group D?
Speaker 3: That looks like a lock for South Africa and Bangladesh. Now after South Africa beat their bogey team Netherleans. I love the way that Netherlans are called South African's bogy team after they beat them once.
Speaker 1: Ah, and I very much enjoyed this match. A USA stunned the pakistanis full forward.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it was quite quite extraordinary. Yeah, I think just unfathomably bad bowling by Pakistan. I mean they just looked like they just lost their rag at the end of that game. It was an absolute shambles in the USA. Again, just sensational, Yeah it was. It was a terrific game of cricket. Really awesome for the tournament. And yeah, what what can the USA do against India? Who knows?
Speaker 3: Can just raise something here and I don't want to cast dispersions on anyone here, but what a bizarre scene at the end of the regulation twenty overs where USA need four to tie the game off the last ball and you bring you on mid On and mid Off up inside the circle and then bowl full outside off stump. It was curious. Can I say that it was a curious tactic? And of course the USA better did what he needed to do and which was plopping over the head of mid Off for four. And we go into a super over which the USA didn't make a race of. And it's quite a nice story. Actually, the guy that bowled the super over for USA is a computer programmer from I think it's Mumbai, certainly India, gone to America to make his riches. He actually played h group cricket. I think he might even come to New Zealand for an Under nineteen World Cup with India. Others went ahead of him, so he immigrated to find a new life for the USA and then gets his moment in the spotlight, which is just lovely enough for Gunner's name.
Speaker 2: Sorry, so beautiful, Mira Volka, that's his name. Sensational. Yeah, he's a software engineer. I think he works for Oracle. I think full time day job.
Speaker 3: Amazing you were taking qualify from that, Paul, We should say yes, I was a little bit about to go to the table. Here.
Speaker 1: Group A, India and USA atop the table on four points. The piece Canada of to Pakistan zero, Island zero. Group B Scotland Australia atop the table with Scotland on five, Australia on four but Scotland played three matches Namibbe to England one, Oman zero. I haven't spoken for a week. You can tell, can't you. Afghanistan top of Group C, two from two as other West Indies again one two points, Papa New Guinea ahead of New Zealand and New Zealand floundering at the bottom. And Group D South Africa and Bangladesh.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: South Africa in the lead with two wins from two matches on four points, Bangladesh one from one, then the Netherlands, Nepal and Sri Lanka following up the rare fellows.
Speaker 2: It's really great the Netherlands. I think the Netherlands could sneak through on there. I'm backing them in the next couple of games. I think they could do some damage.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they could be begla dish, can they? But I was just going to say, it's very amusing group. See if you look at the net run rate column where you have the team at the top on five positive five point two to two five, which is just enormous. I don't know if I've seen that before, and New Zealand sitting there on minus four point two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, shambles. It's head to your correspondents. The USA vibes you want to read this one, Paul Forward from Willow in the USA.
Speaker 2: Sure, as an American living in Denver, Colorado, there's almost zero evidence that the US is playing co host in the T twenty Cricket World Cup. I saw one highlight on ESPN Top ten Players of the Day. There's a brief mention in the New York Times about the new venue in New York hosting India versus Pakistan. But outside that zero coverage, the only way I found to legally watch the matches as a paid subscription to Willow TV, so it is almost impossible for an average person to accidentally stumble upon it. I watched my first Test match while studying in England and became a Black Cats supporter. When I returned home to the US, discovered that ESPN streamed all New Zealand domestic Black Cats and White Firms home matches. I traveled down to New Zealand last February to see my first matches live at the Basin and at Hagley, and hope to return either this coming summer or the summer after the Sea some more. I've got no ties to full ICC member countries and I don't know anyone else in the country who watches the sport, so it is something of a lonely existence. I'm very happy to give more US updates, updates as you desire, lovely to hear from you. Well, yeah, I mentioned last week Jason, very curious to hear how normal people in America are encountering their Cricket World Cup. Even that breakthrough when from the United States and that massive game overnight, it does seem like it's extremely subcontinental focused, diaspora focused coverage of the Cricket World Cup.
Speaker 3: Yes, really the mainstream I think Willow TV goes great guns. Actually, I think that's been a real success story. But I mean that's a great piece of correspondence. I'd love you to hear from Willow and if you are in the country next summer and hanging around the Basin, which is where I make my annual pilgrimage to watch test match there you'll probably find Paul Forward and I sitting there, so make yourself none.
Speaker 2: And those two games that he went to that Englands, that would have been England at the Basin Reserve and Sri Lanka at Hagley, two of the greatest games of cricket you could ever watch live in your entire life. So he set a high bar.
Speaker 1: Yes, indeed, New York issues.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's just the patch. Oh right, we and like we would have been remiss if Paul hadn't mentioned it to say that, it's a pretty astonishing effort to get a thirty thousand seat stadium built from scratch, So kudos to the ICC and the local authorities and whoever managed to get that up and running. But the wicket is an incredibly important part of the cricket viewing, Yeah somewhat.
Speaker 2: The other slightly minor issue that we may have just glossed over is the ISIS threat that surrounded the game today. But does seem that no lone wolf has taken up there request that someone does some sort of outrageous, dastardly deed at the game. So yeah, good luck to anyone trying to get through through the security. I think there are literally thousands of police and military there with guns. No drones of course or anything like that. So yeah, the Super Bowl on steroid seem to have done pretty well overnight.
Speaker 1: Good stuff. What's going on with the bound still in clever?
Speaker 3: Busy man, I am busy man. The Bounce is clearly TEA twenty focused at the moment, but there's a bit going on other sports and rugby. Super rugby's approaching.
Speaker 1: It's now. I've been enjoying that. Yeah, it's been it's been good.
Speaker 3: So yeah, hop along to that. Google Dylan Cleaver of The Bounce or go to Dylanclever dot sub stack dot com would love to have you along.
Speaker 1: Great stuff mate. Well that brings us to the end of this podcast. We'll be back, well probably not the same time, same place, a little bit further on next week, well maybe Monday.
Speaker 3: When are we back? You should check that and she produce.
Speaker 2: We're I think we're back on Friday actually for a cheeky little Cricket World Cup pod whoever can make it, so keep an air out on Friday. Okay, game against the West Indies.
Speaker 1: Good stuff, good stuff. Well, thanks for taking the time to listen. As we say, we'll keep you updated as the tournament goes on, and hopefully some better news to report Fellas and the shambles that we had to talk about today