Speaker 1: Live from the Export Beer Gardens Studios and brought to you by Export.
Speaker 2: Ultra the Bear for a year.
Speaker 1: This is the Agenda Podcast for Tuesday, the ninth of July.
Speaker 3: The Agenda Podcast, the home of Sporting nonsense and clap Trap, brought to you by Export of Ultra.
Speaker 1: Gooday there, welcome along to a Tuesday edition of the Agenda Podcast. Mania Stewart is away today. It is his birthday, so he will be no doubt pressuring the love of his life to get some special attention today, so he's got the day off.
Speaker 2: In joining me is Joe Jury.
Speaker 4: I reckon He'll be straight down to the Pokeies, absolutely straight into the poke What do you want to do today, Love?
Speaker 1: It's your birthday. You can do whatever you want. Buy me a pack of diaries and send me to the Pokeyes.
Speaker 4: Twenty bucks. Twenty bucks I can change into two dollar coins and straight to the Pokeys.
Speaker 1: He left a lot on the on the floor at the pub in Dunedin, didn't he.
Speaker 4: He left a lot of them self in Dunedin to that Friday. He was an absolute disgrace. We haven't really talked about that, The fact that he got so hammered on the Thursday night. Yep that he was a shell of a human being on that Friday and spewed out the side of the bus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, we look. I mean things will trickle out.
Speaker 1: I've someone come out to me today and said, O, who's you got a hiding in Dunedin And I was like.
Speaker 4: What, Yeah, Tony laugh said that. Ben Hurley said that you've got to hide a head.
Speaker 1: Ah far from it and mean it's hard to get a hiding when you're involved in a scuffly pussy ride down in central Dunedin.
Speaker 2: But a we're going to move on.
Speaker 1: From that that weekend because we've got this weekend coming up All Blacks and England to repeat at Eden Park and we're backed at the Postman's Leg for the ultra pre game. No Richie Muwanga this week, but we might try and rustle up some more surprises for there. But we've got live music everything else. But what everyone's talking about at the moment Joe Jury is lu Lusan in the quarter finals of Wimbledon, the first New Zealander to ever make the quarter finals in Wimbledon. I think she's playing tonight in the quarter final against Croatian Donna Vitchik.
Speaker 4: Know much about Donna vic All.
Speaker 1: I know is never marry a croatan. There's a golden rule. They never marry a croatan. But chance for her to make the semi finals tonight, it's awesome.
Speaker 2: But I've got some.
Speaker 1: Interesting facts around around Wimbledon that you might be interested in, Joe Jury, how are you? This is one hundred and forty seventh edition of Wimbledon, And unlike any other kind of sporting or tennis, especially Wimbledon, release their financials every year to the public because the people who run it as the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club English. Yeah so, and they produce a thirty page and your report detailing their finances and including the two week event that is is Wimbledon.
Speaker 2: And they really revealed it.
Speaker 1: In twenty twenty three, the club brought in four hundred and forty million US in revenue for this two week period, a profit of fifty eight point seven million. They don't they break down the numbers.
Speaker 2: A little bit more.
Speaker 1: For the global broadcast rights they get, it's fifty six percent of what they make and there is two hundred and forty six million, but they keep the ticket sales. They relatively low, so they reckon. They leave one hundred million US on the table to make it affordable for people to head along to Wimbledon, which is unlike anything else. So on day one and day two you can get a ticket for pretty much fifty quid.
Speaker 2: It's good. Ay.
Speaker 4: You can't even go to the All Blacks for fifty quid.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: When it gets to the point here day like thirteen and fourteen on Center Court three hundred and twenty four dollars, so not bad if you're going to go to the final, that's all you have to pay. So they make all their money from obviously from the TV rights which they run the ships and span no, but they keep it down to two or three sponsors as well, so it's a very different model from everyone else who just try and make pillage the whole time.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you what New Zealand media has been blowing their load on the sun.
Speaker 1: The sun is rising. Oh when she loses, If she loses, I hope she doesn't. Will have been sun sets on her Wimbledon journey.
Speaker 4: There's been. The sun is shining about still shines. Who comes the sun? Who's going to be the first?
Speaker 2: But Son of a bitch.
Speaker 4: I think that'll be us, son.
Speaker 1: Of a bitch, Lulu Sun loses. I don't think any mainstream will do that.
Speaker 4: No, be honest, it'll be leaning on us.
Speaker 2: I think he.
Speaker 1: Guess how many baseball caps and Panama hats they sell at Wimbledon over the two weeks?
Speaker 2: Ever, guess.
Speaker 1: Fifty two thousand, Jesus close, fifty eight thousand, two hundred baseball caps and Panama hats are sold. Guess how many towels are sold? Twelve twenty seven and a half thousand championship towels are sold at the merchandise shop?
Speaker 4: Like, what are you?
Speaker 2: Hows?
Speaker 4: What are you doing with those? Are you taking them home?
Speaker 2: Take them to your lacual tennis club? That's what you're doing.
Speaker 1: It's like people who wear It's like the mammals who cycle on the weekends with their mates, and they're all dressed up like the owner's Vinger guard and like the full sponsored Peloton gear.
Speaker 4: So there are one hundred and forty kigs squeezing into them.
Speaker 2: And how many sweat bands you reckon?
Speaker 4: They sell sweet bands? Like I'm unsaying about forty four thousand.
Speaker 1: Fourteen thousand sweat bands and they sell a further three and a half thousand dollars worth of personalized embroideries on baseball caps and towels, which equates to two point nine million individual stitches.
Speaker 4: So you're not it's not enough just to get a wounding towel. You gotta have it embroidered with your own name.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, why can't you do that post pictures take it back to your own embroider and do that. But anyway, there you go. There's some, there's some, and the conversation starts here are good. So the grass courts is thirty eight grass courts, twenty practice courts and eighteen championship courts. They've got a trained Harris hawk named Rufus that flies around every morning at the grounds of women and before gates open to get the pigeons away from the grass courts.
Speaker 4: We can't really talk about hawks.
Speaker 1: We're under a hawkband.
Speaker 2: Hawk band the hawk, by the way.
Speaker 4: I think it's me and I destroyed it when he came back on Monday, as we were legally told to.
Speaker 2: By dock here. We didn't have a permit for that. That hook.
Speaker 1: Twenty eight people on the ground crew cut and reline and sweep the courts every morning.
Speaker 2: At Wimbledon they.
Speaker 1: Cut it to exactly eight millimeters every morning in those courts.
Speaker 4: What's setting is that on your lawnmar Is that the third one down?
Speaker 1: I think that's pretty much very very bottom, isn't it. It's a very very bottom. Wimbledon requires the staff of six thousand, three hundred. However, ball kids are unpaid by the All England and it's club bastards, but they get their uniforms and expenses covered there.
Speaker 2: You go home.
Speaker 1: Rentals for two weeks near Wimbledon costs between four thousand, six hundred dollars for a one bedroom flat. Well for corporate it's thirty six thousand dollars for a house to be housed in over that two weeks.
Speaker 4: You're a man of international sporting audience. Have you ever been to Wimbledon?
Speaker 1: I tried to when we went to the infamous twenty nineteen Cricket World Cup. That's how I always remember the date, because Wimbledon was on at the same time, and I think the day before we caught a bus out to Wimbledon and lined up in a queue for four hours, got to the front and then they said no more tickets today because you can just roll up and just go in.
Speaker 2: So I tried, but we went. No such luck on so and then.
Speaker 4: He just went and grim lanes us at the World Cup final.
Speaker 1: That's why I should That's why Look, Lulusan, you are safe as houses tonight.
Speaker 2: I am not going to Wimbledon.
Speaker 1: Here's some other last facts for you on Wimbledon. Just to get juice is flowing through running joke that the easiest way to get a membership to the Wimbledon's Athletic Tennis Athletic Club and Croquet Club is to win Wimbledon. It's because it has a total cap of five hundred total membership spots, so the waiting list is about forty years. So you have the way to be able to die. With the exception of honorary members, tournament winters, et cetera, you must be a British citizen to join the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club.
Speaker 4: The year go well, there were there were scintillating facts about well, look, if you're going to people are going to be asking you about lu Lusan.
Speaker 2: They're going to be and you go, do you know what?
Speaker 1: At Wimbledon they cut the grass every morning to eight millimeters and.
Speaker 4: They sell fourteen thousand wristbands.
Speaker 1: And they sell fifty four thousand Panama hats over that time.
Speaker 2: You know that I'm here to help. What is that?
Speaker 4: In comparison to Augusta and Masters.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure I've been Masters.
Speaker 1: They compare it to the US Open in terms of the Tennis Open. I mean, the US Open makes a lot more money and it's broadcast rights ESPN pays a lot more than it does it at Wimbledon. They also make a lot more money off their ticket prices because they're almost double at the US Open.
Speaker 2: So but yeah, they kind of got the same vibe as.
Speaker 1: The Masters, don't they Because Masters try and keep the ticket prices low. They also try and keep the food prices low.
Speaker 4: Well they haven't changed since yeah, the sixties I think.
Speaker 2: But it's just impossible to get tickets.
Speaker 1: Yes, this is the problem.
Speaker 4: Can you hit the piss at Wimbledon that you can at Lords? Do they give your body to a champagne?
Speaker 1: Now you can't, Well you can't go in with your own piss like Lords. But like anything in England, you're allowed to hit it as hard as you like. You just have to just behave semi normal. There are a bit stuff here in Wimbledon, and they are at Lord's so there's a kind of a you can't not get too rowdy.
Speaker 2: You can apparently on the outer.
Speaker 1: Courts, but once you're on the the main courts, you know, Roger Feuder is hanging out there.
Speaker 2: Tom Cruise is hanging out there.
Speaker 1: I saw Brad pitt Wazi as well, so a little bit more reserved, but you can still head it hard.
Speaker 2: Outside.
Speaker 1: They've got a whole big area Henman's Hill. I think they changed it to Murray's Hell or something.
Speaker 2: I don't know. And yeah, there.
Speaker 4: Was great footage of in the Djokovic game when the crowd found out that England had won the yes quarter finals and penalties and they just started cheering.
Speaker 2: He was just about to serve.
Speaker 1: Djokovic is just about to serve, and then the crowd just wrapped it into applause and I think he I think someone must have said something because he knew because he got the tennis ball and volleyed it over the.
Speaker 4: Net penalty kick. I mean, we can get into football later, but I don't think it's coming home the Netherlands again. The waste of the English.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that game's coming up. What this weekend I think, or is it the next few days?
Speaker 4: Thursday, I believe.
Speaker 1: Thursday England versus Netherlands will cover there off tomorrow I think, but you never know. If they fart through on they'll fart through on penalties, so they'll make the final. England fans will go crazy. I love it when England gets near a final because I love watching the heartache of them coming so close.
Speaker 4: It's so far.
Speaker 1: We're going to take a quick break and we're going to be back to discuss some rugby league NRL and again the bunker shafting the Warriors on the weekend and Graham Ainsley, the head of NRL's referees, he's come out. It looks like it's a video of a bizarre video of him in a boardroom explaining the mistakes, which I find quite refreshing and also quite disturbing.
Speaker 2: So back in a moment.
Speaker 1: Now on the weekend, Warriors obviously lost in Golden point time to the Doggies. I don't want to go into details around while we switched to the All Blacks. I've got a lot of hate mail coming in around why we switched over. But that was the decision made by myself and I will die by that. But there was an incident just before half time to Mardi Martin. It was in the second half and the second half to Marti Martin got hit late by a Bulldogs player and it went up to the bunker and they fucked around in the bunker for ages, trying to determine whether it would contact with the neck or the head.
Speaker 4: Yes, all right, I was watching. Joel showed me the footage of the die. Heindwood and Joel Harrison call because has been here. He had to leave before the end. Got to a gig. There was a lot of ditching on the Warriors that night. Yeah, and you can just when it happens, Joel and die just like, oh it's a late hat, it's ten. It's gotta be ten in the band at least a penalty. And then they watched the replay. Salmon, I think the guy's name is Jerome Salmon broke his jaw by running into Timney Mauntain's face.
Speaker 2: So a little little bit of bitter kind of justice there.
Speaker 4: They were just as he has a penalty and there was just no illegal contact and Jame and Salmon.
Speaker 5: I don't know what happened there. Looks like might have had a head knock with Tomighty Martin and back play there because he's bleeding out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it looks like he's lost a tooth or something.
Speaker 3: That so Timmarty Martin go, oh, that's a massive shoulder jarge.
Speaker 2: That could be a hit.
Speaker 5: That should be ten in the bin the way that they've been officiating it this year, that could be a penalty.
Speaker 1: To the Warriors.
Speaker 2: Jam and Sam had some it's some late shoulder judge a legal contact they're calling it?
Speaker 5: Or no, oh did he say no illegal contact?
Speaker 2: There is a legal contact.
Speaker 1: Jam and Salmon flew out of the line.
Speaker 5: There is no difference from what Suli did in game Wine of Origin compared to that. It's got to be investigation here.
Speaker 4: What it needs to be an investigation?
Speaker 2: Yeah, no illegal contact.
Speaker 1: So they and here's Graham Ainsley, the head of the referees or whatever for the NRL. Here's him explaining in a very roundabout way that they fuck it up.
Speaker 6: The Bunker did spend all of their time in this review trying to do determine whether this was high contact or not. What they didn't do in this case was give jur regard to the tackle being late or the contact being late, and whether the defender could have pulled out of this tackle or not, or at least reduced the velocity of it when it takes place. And what the Match Review Committee did, of course, as everyone now knows, is the Match Review Committee did give due regard to the late nature of the contact and the fact that the ball had been passed. Again, they found no evidence of contact with the head or next, so he wasn't charged because of contact with the head or neck. He was charged with dangerous contact because of the late nature of the tackle. So the real question here is should this have been penalized on girl And the answer to that is clearly yes it should have been, not because it was high, but because it was late. And I know this was a critical time of the game. Kick he wanted to give you the incident, but they didn't give due regard to the issue of late. Now, I mean, so we think this is a miss, yes by the match officials, and what are the consequences are unacceptable consequences.
Speaker 2: That's what took plate. There is no consequences.
Speaker 1: But I love how Graham Ainsley as Annalsley any really sucked the life out of there. And the presentation is in front of a screen, and he's got a little button he can go backwards and forwards on is an NRL logo behind him, a Neon logo. I don't think anyone else is in the room. I think it's for you know, for them to release themselves. This is an explainer, so.
Speaker 4: We fucked up?
Speaker 1: Does he do this every weekend? Does he explain fuck ups every weekend?
Speaker 4: Just when the Warriors get screwed over? He knows that happens every weekend.
Speaker 1: I've got an idea here. I think they wish everyone should be able to do that. After a weekend, someone gets up and go Stuart. On the weekend, he drank twenty three beers. Looking back on that now, it was probably about thirteen too many.
Speaker 4: This was a mistake.
Speaker 1: This was a mistake, and they recognized it as a mistake. And the penalty for that is he got a severe hangover. And for that very reason, it was the wrong decision for Maniah to drink twenty three beers and shit himself.
Speaker 4: Look, it was at a critical time of the night. We were about to do a workplace shout yep, and he couldn't turn up because he had shot himself yep.
Speaker 1: And the bunker they spent too much time reviewing the beers and not the fact he didn't turn up to do his job. Okay, so we've had a look at the review committee's had to look at that and said, yep, he should have done his job and not drunk those twenty three beers.
Speaker 2: But it is what it is, and that's what happened.
Speaker 4: But what the one thing I can't understand is how they're constantly now saying it's not high. It wasn't high. Both of them walked away from that attempt to tackle holding face, so.
Speaker 2: There was contact with face to face.
Speaker 4: So how does someone break a jaw and the other guy gets almost a broken nose. But there's no, there's no, it's not high.
Speaker 2: I don't know. It's it's so a r L. It's it's the most bizarre.
Speaker 1: It's it's one of the great sports and people love it, but and it's growing in popularity for its simplicity. Yet there's so many complications around those kind of calls and the bunker rules and and what the bunker does and doesn't do, and the like invariably, for some whatever reason, we always get the the bad side of it anyway. But I'm looking forward to Graham and Ainsley breaking down our Dunedin weekend in a monologue fashion like that and just explaining what didn't get pulled up and what did here.
Speaker 4: We have a pussy right here coming out a door, no contact with the head, just a lot of just a lot of grabbing.
Speaker 1: A lot of argie bardgie, No one throwing a punch, No punches was thrown, a lot of scragging. So the bunker missed the fact there was no punches thrown, and for that we're sorry and we apologize.
Speaker 4: The bunker also missed Mania Stuart with an eight year old homeless man in the background, that he will be reprimanded.
Speaker 1: Him dancing with that old man, an old homeless man who looked like a dead Kenny Rogers, like Kenny Rodgers had been put in the ground for about two years and then pulled out of the ground and pulled into the pub. And Mania Stuart's slow dancing with him at the front of the dance floor, pleadly oblivious to the pussy right happening all around him, was that that should have been pulled up by Graham Ainsley.
Speaker 4: I mean the best thing is that I was filming a lot of that night and so Mania thought he had just you could forget it. I just was constantly playing in videos of that in our bedroom.
Speaker 1: As I put it, put it away, put it away, stood it away. You should have given you should have given the full NRL de brief. So yeah, I'm interested to know whether that happens every week, that that's a review of the refereeing decisions, or they just decided that that one, or.
Speaker 4: Is just it was just so egregious. I think that they had to come out and say, look, sorry.
Speaker 1: Warriors, we've kind of sorry, Yeah, sorry to me, say sorry to the Warriors family.
Speaker 4: Like can you imagine if that happened to say the storm, can you imagine Bellamy and the coaches room, so he'd throw everything through the fucking windows.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's right. So kind of working it out, I think the Warriors they have to win six of the next seven games.
Speaker 4: Yes, luckily we get two points this week.
Speaker 1: Yeah bye, yeah, Okay, we've got one. That's one under the belt, so there's another one five from six th in. So it's going to have to be a pretty good run home for the Warriors to make the top eight. It's going to be it's going to be a hell of a ride because after the expectations of last year pretty much a very similar team to last year, everyone was expecting a lot and it hasn't really materialized.
Speaker 2: So that'd be interesting. I buy this week.
Speaker 1: So we've got another week to stew on this decision before the next game. But we'll keep a quick break and we'll be back with just a couple of yours pleases.
Speaker 3: Yours please, brought you by Leader Home of the list.
Speaker 2: Top right here.
Speaker 1: We had an absolute four of yours pleases over the weekend. We got through most of them yesterday, but we've just got the single one today, caller yours please.
Speaker 7: Good a twelve days and Lane Jake here from me on like Station Mid Canterbury as the head of the Fuck South Canterbury Social Club. You're going to be hearing from my lawyer with a few copyright infringement new jerseys and this you throw us some free ones. Cheers fellas fuck South Canterbury.
Speaker 1: Ah, it's easy, look on, I'm happy to do that, which, of course we'll three a couple of freebies. But that was an easy negotiation, wasn't it. I mean, I'd much rather go.
Speaker 2: To court court, motherfucker, and then then we'll send you some shirts.
Speaker 4: We had some good correspondence about the Fox South Canabury Social Club yep, because I know when I was getting.
Speaker 2: All isn't he getting twitchy about it?
Speaker 4: Intent? So Mark Melby send a message and saying each year you should re release the fuck a Fox exex Province Social Club shirt to whoever wins the Heartland competition. A portion of each sale could go to funding next year's winning province to go to the Shield Challenge whoever holds the Shield. It would have helped South Cannery this year, making the game Fox South Canterbury from a mid Canterbury.
Speaker 2: Oh there you go. That's not a bad idea.
Speaker 1: So any merch do we Whoever wins the Heartland we bring merch out saying fuck them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so say King Country.
Speaker 1: So it's fucking country and then we sell those, maybe make twenty or thirty grand. It goes straight to the King Country so they can afford to hire a bus and drive it to the Hawk's Bay or to the Wakat or wherever, or bad plane whoever's got the shield.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm into that.
Speaker 4: Seems like it seems like giving back and it.
Speaker 1: Also seems like we're doing the rugby Union's job though a little bit, just a little bit, I mean in a roundabout way, doing a little bit of their job, because you think with a bit of silver Lake money they would have been able.
Speaker 2: To just you know, it's all gone.
Speaker 1: I love the silver Lake money. Everyone just goes the silver Lake money. It's like you probably be at the pub and like Mark Robinson, little bit at the pub, you go buy us around, would you?
Speaker 2: You're like, you got all that silver Lake money? Mate? What are you talking about?
Speaker 4: So your mate who's just one like a one like Ting Green on instant key.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and keep we money, mate, Come on, man, got like silver Lake money, but we know it's maybe gone up and smoke that one right out.
Speaker 2: That'll do us for today.
Speaker 4: Just before we go, Yes, a bit of promo. Oh yeah, so we're talking about the Bulldogs fucking the Warriors. Earlier on the weekend. We are giving away a prize, the four and twenty Mare Trail Prize. Oh yes, to go and see the Warriors at Go Media Stadium on the twenty third of August against the Bulldogs. You simply text Pie to three two three six and you go on the drawd wind return flights, two accommodation tickets to the game and five hundred bucks cold hardcare.
Speaker 2: Sweet thanks to four and twenty pis.
Speaker 1: And just remember all the entire rest of the season home games are sold out at Gohard Stadium, so you cannot buy these tickets.
Speaker 4: It's the only way you're gonna get tickets to that game.
Speaker 1: Yep, So accommodation, but a spending money is well to the Doggies, the return leg Warriors versus the Doggies?
Speaker 3: Was it?
Speaker 2: Text Pie to three.
Speaker 4: Two to three two three six, and I think you at that game, just the Warriors should select someone just a mutant to just come out straight away, a late tackle and just a late tackle on that Solomon guy and just breaker draw once again.
Speaker 2: He's probably gonna be out for that game anyway.
Speaker 1: Hey, with that, when you text Pie to three two three six, do you they have to follow the link to into your details?
Speaker 4: Know you're just you'll just tix that and you're in the drawer side.
Speaker 1: Away sweet as okay, great great edmud To finish with Joe. There's a really strong piece of Edmond to finish the Genda Podcast today. We'll be back tomorrow and I will be back after his birthday, Blowy and we'll we'll and we also we'll have a half the Exports Idea for your Wednesday.
Speaker 8: Take here.
Speaker 3: You've been listening to the ACC's a gender podcast brought to you by Export Ultra. For more episodes, like and follow on iHeartRadio form you get your podcast