Speaker 1: You're listening to the Weekend Collective podcast from News Talk SAEDB debating all the issues and more. It's the panel on the Weekend Collective on News Talk said b's bad.
Speaker 2: And a very good afternoon too. I'm Tim Beveridge. This is the Weekend Collective for Saturday, the eighth of March twenty twenty five. I think actually that means we're into autumn. But I go with the geological or the geographical orderm which I thinks around the twenty second of March, because people like to just go it's the first of March. So anyway, it's it's getting cooler, and thank goodness it's cooled down because Auckland has been fairly fairly warm lately. Anyway, you can text a feedback anytime on nine two ninety two and of course emailed if you like. If you're not in a hurry. Tim be at newstalksb dot co dot nz. Coming up on today's show in just a moment the panel with my as always mildly esteemed panelists, and after four for the one roof radio show, we have a new guest. It's Mike Atkinson. He's a property management from a property management company called ASPI Property Management, and we're going to talk about who's got the power. Probably there is a subtle theme for a musical introduction, there isn't it Tenants and landlords? Is the balance slanted one way or the other. We're gonna have a chat about just managing that relationship as well, and what are the most common issues for landlords that they that people are presented with commonly. And after five for the parents squad, Google Sutherland about whether you have to treat your kids equally? But what does that mean? Because kids are different, they all have different needs. So we're gonna have a chat about We're drill into that a bit. And before six will rap sports with News Talks AB sports journalist Elijah far a few who will join us. Welcome to the Weekend Collective. It is eight minutes past three.
Speaker 1: Insightful, entertaining at all old points. Tim Beveridge on the Weekend Collective News Talks B.
Speaker 2: We've got some new stings anyway, let's get into its time for our panel in no particular order. Actually, I was gonna say something very cheeky, but I think I might not because it should probably hand it back to me on a plate and her name is Hannah Burns Francis journalists and presenter and mum. Welcome to the show. How are you?
Speaker 3: What are you going to say?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: No, I had an introduction which was groomed for some previously older panelists. I deleted it. I can't older panelists last weekend. Oh they were older. And I was going to say, it's a battle of the silver Foxes. Then I suddenly realized, no, it's not. Back the truck up and shovel back to the other guy anyway, and that familiar voice you will hear in the background. He's sporting a war wound. But I feel the need that I have to go, and I'm gonna have to peel it back just to see if it's legit or he just likes to put a bandage on every heading in to prove that he's on the tools. The resident build a Pete wolf Camp. Hi Pete, how are you good?
Speaker 5: Thanks for yourself?
Speaker 2: I'm good. Thank you? Have you been? Have you been on the tools?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 2: I have?
Speaker 5: And they back and that's the end of that.
Speaker 3: Still got all his fingers.
Speaker 5: Everybody, Yeah, thank goodness.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Actually, have you ever had a moment where you must have I guess in a career as long as well, let's not ever play the length because you're still a youngish guy. Ah'ish, that's kind of anyway, Beep. Have you ever had a moment where you thought, oh my goodness, just as well? I blinked then, because that was what was.
Speaker 5: It actually using a skill saw on a weekend project.
Speaker 3: That I'm a bit squeamish just right?
Speaker 2: Does that mean that you might get a bit nauseous?
Speaker 3: It just means I'm yeah, I'm going to feel Really, it.
Speaker 5: Was occasionally don't talk about as well about are you okay with blood? And I went, yeah, I'm okay with blood? Yeah, no, Look, it was just just that classic moment. And we've all been there where a moment's in attention, working casually on a Saturday afternoon using power tools at home and just about to off.
Speaker 2: Actually, the reason I mentioned that, sorry, Anna, that was enough for Anna? Just about Rody, have we got known details? But actually the reason I did ask you the reason because I raised it. I thought, you know what, if there's half a dozen trades who are listening to that, going, goodness me, you know what, there's a couple of things I'm getting a bit slack on. We might have saved someone a tow, so that's why I carried on with that. Anyway, good to see Yes, good to see you to.
Speaker 3: Someone from ACC will be wiping their brow in this very moment.
Speaker 2: I've done them a service. They will send them a bill.
Speaker 5: Now we use power tools.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, first thing, Adriana will it was a shock resignation. It does feel that we haven't been really told the reasons. He hasn't really commented too much. They put up the chair Neil Quigley who spoke to the media, and he didn't really make us any wiser. I don't want to say anything cruel, so I'll leave it to you guys. But I'm not sure he goes down as one of the greats as a Reserve Bank governor.
Speaker 3: And Anna, look, I will be honest. I missed a lot of his term, obviously being out of the country throughout the COVID period, where a lot of the criticism has come from how he handled it. If you look now where we're at, there is no argument he has met the mandate and got inflation back down and under control, and we have economic stability. I appreciate there's a lot of criticism from a time when I wasn't watching as closely as other people. What I do think is what was going on when he quit, because you know, everyone looked pretty surprised. But are we owed to answer?
Speaker 2: I think if you have been a civil servant at the Governor of the Reserve Bank, making about eight hundred thousand dollars a year, and your tenure has seen people as a result of your overreaction to extend all these monetary policies, so you ended up having to well, sure he's got inflation under control, but how many people have lost their jobs and how many people are screwed because they overinvested with cheap money and all that sort of thing.
Speaker 3: It just sounds like you want an apology, though.
Speaker 2: No I want to. I just want to know where it's gone. I think it's I think just I think you owe an explanation that would as simple as that. Forget the apologies. I mean, you know.
Speaker 3: You're not going to get them, and I think that's very clear from the way that this has played out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, what do you reckon?
Speaker 5: I mean to your comment, and in terms of you know, he's got the inflation down and all of those sorts of things are all coming right, But that's like being praised for putting out the fire that you started, you know. And I'm a little bit perplexed on it in the sense that does he you know, as a as an individual, do you have a right to privacy? And if you decide that your employment no longer suits you and you go, is that anyone's business other than your own? Except for the fact, as you say, is that you know he's he's on a healthy salary. It's a really important role. It's an important role, not just you know, for our position globally as well. You know, people look and go, well, hang on, if you reserve being top boss just takes off. What does that say about.
Speaker 2: You're run in process? If he goes to a restaurant, leave him alone, let him, let him let's not publicize which your brand of you know, of serving on Blonkie likes or whatever, all that privacy fine, But he's left his public job, I think, And he doesn't have to, obviously, but I think that he does.
Speaker 3: But if his explanation is I don't agree with the direction of the government, then that is clear anyway from the way that he has acted and in that case, good on him for resigning. He doesn't want to follow that mandate any further.
Speaker 2: Would you give an explanation if you were were you leaving, If you were leaving, you to say, listen, you know, these are the reasons I'm going bullet point, bullet point, bullet point goodbye.
Speaker 3: I would I'm going to be very careful with how I would.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, And.
Speaker 3: You know, I think that it's it's very easy to see sometimes that there are difficult situations where you have to be careful about how much you publicly state about what goes on behind closed doors. At the end of the day, the Reserve Bank has a whole lot of stuff happening that you know, I'm not going to understand. But also that private discussions between the Finance Minister and Treasury and there are obviously disagreements there about how the bank is funded and what that money is being used for.
Speaker 2: Nikola Willis didn't exactly. She didn't send him on his way on a sort of sleigh ride with flowers and snowflakes. Did She was like, I wish him well.
Speaker 5: But remember the protest from National when he was reappointed to the role just prior to the election as well, so they're not at all unhappy that he's gone.
Speaker 2: I suspect I wonder who they're going to get for the next run. It'll be someone probably I haven't heard of, so I can't really speculate any further comment.
Speaker 3: Guys, I did a quick google of the top contenders, and I couldn't tell you that I knew of any of them. To mind, I couldn't picture what they looked like.
Speaker 2: I think he was.
Speaker 5: I suppose an out of the box was appointed to the role, given he had so much of a public profile when he's running super Fund. Yeah, so maybe he'll go back to super fund of some description around the world, hedge fund somewhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think all said he sort of presided of an era where they did have a couple of two or three board members who are appointed to the board of the Reserve Bank who didn't seem to really be particularly qualified on the business that the Reserve Bank participates in. It's worth reading Michael Riddell's blog about that a while ago on his blog Croaking Cassandra. Don't know where where does that come from? Croaking Cassandra. Anyway, if you're curious and you're listening, Go and check it out. Now this one Winston Peters has introduced, you have new appointments. By the way, this is not slated for conversation for day today, But every time I think of Winston, I'm just dying to know if he's going to do that. He's very bullish about that very deal, isn't he that he's going to save the taxpayer billions? Very bullish.
Speaker 3: I'm so confused about it. Has it's cost us five hundred, then it's going to cost another three hundred or do we make three hundred back and now we're going to spend So.
Speaker 2: Where I think I think the win will be if he does a deal which doesn't entail him to spend other couple of billion dollars and infrastructures. But he's introduced an anti DEI bill which does sound a little fairly echo wish of what's being laid down by Donald Trump at the moment, and with his henchman. Can I call him a Elon Musk anyway? But yeah, it's he's proposed legislation to get to rid diversity equity inclusion regulation from the public service. Hmm, what do you make of it? Pete?
Speaker 5: What does that look like anyway, Like now, that is such.
Speaker 3: A great question. I went lost Secretary of Defense as a white guy in New Zealand. The head of the spy agency, the GCSB, is a white guy. The head of the Ministry of Justice is a white guy. The CEO of the Ministry of Corrections, it's a white guy.
Speaker 2: I think it's that guy. I think it's about policies are there. I didn't even know we had it.
Speaker 3: It's about how we employ these people and whether we should be looking at diversity and equity and inclusion in them. Reserve Bank and he's gone, but he's being replaced by another white guy public Service commissioner that considers de I he's also a white guy.
Speaker 2: I think, who are we talking about?
Speaker 3: You complaining about it?
Speaker 5: It's obviously not top of the tree, right, It's it's those departments. Do they actively go out and seek someone who fits that criteria that they are not mainstream? They're not like me, male, pale and stale.
Speaker 3: Right, But where is the problem, because I mean, if it's I wonder, Yeah, I think this is just noise.
Speaker 2: It's just actually, isn't it a Private member's bill? I think it's been pulled out and will let's see the light of day. I don't know. It's possibly more interesting than Labor Labour's Sha shadow Cabinet research, although isn't it. What were you going to say? Let's move on de I well, okay, so Barbara Edmunds will become the spokesperson for Savings and Investment. I mean I can barely get through introducing this without falling asleep though, because new jobs.
Speaker 3: Sorry, come on, what are they doing?
Speaker 2: What are they doing?
Speaker 4: Are they?
Speaker 3: What are they?
Speaker 5: Seriously is why has jen Tointi being sacked?
Speaker 2: I think, of course, I think that up against she's not got a great trick right now, no exactly spend questions publicly, but I got the sense that up against Erica Stanford she was getting probably she was on a hiding to nothing from a minister who does seem probably one of the more passionate and motivated ministers in her portfolio. And I think jan to Netti was just probably not cutting the mustard. They're looking to put someone else up as.
Speaker 3: A have they got the answer?
Speaker 2: Jean Willow Prime, who knows?
Speaker 3: I genuinely could not tell you the last time I saw her come out fighting, you know, and none of them. I just I believe that both sides of a parliament should have really vocal discourse. They should be engaging with each other. There should be You need a healthy opposition, no matter who it is, and I think the National Party did a great job of being a healthy opposition last time and I'm bitterly disappointed that we do not have that at the moment. It's boring and it also just I think is not representative of a democracy, particularly when we have MMP. You know, we are very fairly split as a country. I have centrist governments.
Speaker 2: I think do we hear we hear more from the Greens and the Marray Party and Chris Hipkins. It's like we have the Greens and I mean, regardless whether they say few funny things or not, we have the Maray Party and then we have Chris Hipkins. It feels like that that's the opposition benches. What do you think, Pete.
Speaker 5: Well in terms of that, and also if you look at New Zealand, first you've really got two people and the rest of them don't say a word exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 2: If they were watching, they might be outraged. But in terms of who's making it who.
Speaker 3: Else is the other than Shane Jones and Winston Peters.
Speaker 5: To be fair, I was in an event it was about housing couple just prior to the election, and they had a representative from each of the main parties, including New Zealand First and I say, I'm police have on ever heard them speak again, So it was terrible. It was just appalling, to.
Speaker 2: Be fair, you know, when it comes to politics in general, I think that for most kiwi's they know a handful of names, and it's usually the government ministers because you know, you can I look back at any government. If somebody says, name four ministers in the last government, I'd probably stumble around for a bit because you know, And maybe that's just the way it works, is that the public's appetitle memory for absorbing all these different spokespeople for labor.
Speaker 3: Maybe it's just maybe it's it's a lot of the prime minister's name wrong. And I think the last three we've had Christopher Luxton just center and John Keyes.
Speaker 2: Actually funny thing just.
Speaker 3: To think that the bar is pretty low.
Speaker 2: Actually, there was a funny note in Mike's show the other day. I heard Winston was chatting to him and he called him mister Hoskin consistently and at the end of it, and I noticed at the time, and I did laugh quite hard, Chris Mike says to Glean, he said, you noticed something there, hedn't. He's finally dropped the s and it's like, I don't know what that was.
Speaker 3: He couldn't remember the mic.
Speaker 2: That might have been it. Hey, look, we're going to take a moment. This is the panel on the Weekend Collective with Anna Burns, Francis and Pete wolf Camp. Phil Goff's being sacked. That's next. It's twenty one and a half minutes past three.
Speaker 6: Having to have the words to.
Speaker 2: Keep Welcome back to the Weekend Collective. This is the panel. I'm Tim Beverage and Anna Burns, Francis and Pete wolf Camp are my panelists. Now moving on. I did sort of feel sorry for Phil Goff because, especially given that the remarks he made which got him sacked were literally made in the Chathamhouse. And there's an expression in journalism politics whatever Chathamhouse rules means, you don't know, this is not going to go any further than these four walls. Literally is chattermouse and and he's asked the questions suggesting.
Speaker 3: Never trust anybody under Chatham House rules.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean there's a video camera there as well.
Speaker 5: He's going to say about the streaming, but which he must have known was happening.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, it wasn't something hiding behind someone's jacket, was it. But what did you make of it? Anna?
Speaker 3: I think Phil Goff has every right to feel he's had a bit of a rough ride. But this is just one of those things where you said it it was the wrong place at the wrong time. This was a dinner party with six people in your own home and you are having an informal chat about politicians. My guess. Say whatever you like about him, but we are in a period of time where we have to play our cards so carefully and he's just just don't talk about it. You just do not want the attention of someone who is so and I mean Donald Trump vindictive and vitriolic and bombastic and unstable. His leadership style is to be unpredictable, and that is that that means that the place for us to be is in the shadows. If we can get through the next four years without talking to Donald Trump trating ay phone call of any kind, we're good and.
Speaker 2: I didn't put the context of those on this because for those who haven't heard that, basically, he publicly questioned at Chatham House semi publicly US President Donald Trump understanding of history at an event, and also he was talking to some other politicians. It was an international sort of event, And what did you make of it? Pete? I think he had to go.
Speaker 5: To be fair. Prior to him making that comment, I was amazed that no one had used exactly that allegory, let's say, to describe what's going on at the moment. So if America is talking about peace and it involves Russians who are already hundreds of kilometers into someone else's country, that's not dissimilar to discussions in nineteen thirty eight. If Germany's already taken you know, Austria and then taken part of the Sedate and land, taken part of Poland, and then we're talking about peace, that's not peace.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so right, the problem was he's right, he said it, he just can't and the job title that he said it in is just not the format of that. I mean, maybe if we were a particularly antagonistic government and could stand up to them, sure be my guest. We can say comments like that, but that is not the position we have.
Speaker 2: And he is Gosh. He is the government's spokesperson in London. So he's not there because he's filled goth X leader of you know x ex leader of the Labor Party. He's there because he is our he's our man in London. Actually did detect from Winston that Winston really didn't want to do he really he's got I think. But I think that Winston when he was describing about how unpleasant it was, he said, I rather not have to do it because he's worked with GoF Goss not an unpleasant person.
Speaker 3: He's a guy and he's a fairly safe pair of hands. You know, Other than this, what else.
Speaker 2: Was going to happen? You know, got to say, you just.
Speaker 3: Got to put a seal around it.
Speaker 2: If Winston's listening, I'm available to do the High Commissioners. I imagine you are too, Pete, and I like where you split the role three ways. Got to say that is apparently the sweetest job in post politics.
Speaker 3: There offices New Zealand House. I think when the Queen died pretty nice. A little bit of work on the walls right in the middle.
Speaker 2: I've had dinner at the I had dinner with was back when Paul East was the High Commissioner. And I had dinner with Prince. I've mentioned this before. I liked to because people.
Speaker 5: Have you Prince, Well, we're all interested.
Speaker 2: It was Prince Edward and his wife and since Zan Brook and Anitha McNaught, the former journalist, and it was actually my My family teased me because I like to ask what I think, just blunt, honest, simplest, maybe simplistic questions. But I just asked Edward what he was doing. I said, what are you doing with your days right now? I mean, as a member of the royal family.
Speaker 3: Are you just spending your millions?
Speaker 2: But but he was working on because he loves the film industry and he was working on it. And he told me about a film project and I said, so, for instance, what did you do yesterday or something? And he said, I had a and this was the he said, oh, we had a family barbecue. I'm thinking that's the royal family. And I said, oh, what's the vibe? Like, you know, I can't be what I asked him about it, But he told me how it's difficult to get near the barbecue because he said on my dad likes to dominate the barbecue, and I was thinking, that's the Duke of Edinburgh, and then he mentioned something else, that's the queen. And it was funny to be talking about someone's folks and realizing, when St.
Speaker 3: Peters is listening to this, you've definitely talked yourself out of the job.
Speaker 7: Loose chefs, I think actually, I don't think there were any particular rules about that, but talking about who manned the barbecue, I just thought it was particularly quaint.
Speaker 2: So I thought i'd share that with you. But anyway, Phil is a lovely story.
Speaker 5: What he's going to do now, Phil Edward Phil Phil's got to be seventy. Oh, I don't know, Yeah, I think so, because he was he's at university with my brother or something like that.
Speaker 2: And anyway on too. Of course, the reason that phil Goffs were a sack of offense was because they were means where he questioned whether the US president had any knowledge of history. I mean, I could ask you guys, you're safe to comment on that. But of course we get onto the whole thing of the trade war that seems to be on again, on again, slightly off again. Canada are leaving their tariff, their retaliatory tariffs on until you know, systems normal again, and it does look like it's going to get pretty ugly. What do you reckon, Anna?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well I don't Where do we begin? Yeah, exactly, Well back in twenty eighteen when Trump started this the first time round. I mean, this is the way he negotiates. He uses tariff's as a means to get what he wants, and it doesn't really matter if that is a trade discussion or ending a war, you know, making Ukraine hand over all the rights to their minerals and making money from it. He will just use tariffs to get what he wants. Which is also a very good case for why we should stay very quiet and under the radar for a while.
Speaker 5: Because there for the burgers.
Speaker 3: And also if you think that this is just a Donald Trump thing, you know, remember when it comes to a place like China, the Biden administration kept the tariffs in place. They don't just go away.
Speaker 2: So I guess it's, you know, the backdrop of it's just how you treat your friends. I mean I think I look at you know, them shoving all those tariffs on Canada. Actually they're not.
Speaker 3: They're not friends with other countries. They are isolationists their path.
Speaker 2: Now, I think I'm not a huge fan of Trudeau, but it seems that the last week or two or three or four of his leadership actually he's going out with the sort of bang in a way, because.
Speaker 5: As you know, he's got nothing left to lose, right.
Speaker 2: Well, I think he wants the I don't think he wants to sink his own ship though, but I mean he's he's demonstrated a sort of strength and his rhetoric and discussions around Donald Trump saying, look, you know, even the equating the Wall Street Journal. You know you're a very smart guy, Donald, but this is a very dumb thing to do. Apparently their recent conversation wasn't particularly great. But I mean, Canada is a massive trading part I think they're their biggest customer on that.
Speaker 3: But haven't they relaxed the car tariffs for like the next month or so something like that?
Speaker 2: Well, the car ones, because that's in self interest. But as Trudeau is saying, I'm sorry, until it's back to normal, we're keeping ours on And I think he's right to do it.
Speaker 3: But you've got to think at some point that American businesses were a substantial number of which will be Republican Party supporters and donors. This will hurt them. Tariffs do end up being passed on, that the cost does get passed on and there will be a squeeze at some point where they turn around and go, this is not working for us. So I just don't quite know what what he's gunning for at this point.
Speaker 2: It just sounds I mean, do.
Speaker 3: We really think it's venting all over the border.
Speaker 2: Of course it's not. I mean Trudeau say it's worth responsible for one percent of the fent knelts going over the border to the to the States.
Speaker 3: It's like all that, you know, mass deportations, and he was doing like one tenth of what Biden was shipping out of the country the week before. It's just noise.
Speaker 2: And of course I love the fact that second hand tesla's a flooding the market. I think Germany. I think that in Germany the sort of tesla sales are down around seventy percent or something.
Speaker 3: We want to buy one of those because they can lock a lot of features on them, can't they, So that if you are the new purchaser and you haven't paid the subscription, or you don't want that frendcheet, they can lock your out of it to an extent.
Speaker 2: What's your take on how I mean he's apparently he's recently threatened sanctions against Russia. But that's the first negative thing I heard him say against Russia. But he seems to be treating Vladimir Zelensky like he's a distressed sell of real estate and one to be absolutely sat on.
Speaker 3: Because he can, because Vladimir Zelensky is a distressed piece of real estate. He really needs help. He is definitely going to be up against it if he doesn't have American support. Europe does not have the resources or the money to jump in immediately and supply what America was supplying. And so this is Trump's way of get one over on someone. It's an easy one.
Speaker 2: What's the point in getting one over on him? Is he just mean?
Speaker 3: Donald Trump does not like being in war. He doesn't like being a president that is contributing to conflicts. You know, he was desperate to get out of Afghanistan. That was a huge line in the lead up to the last the twenty twenty election. You know, I'm the only president who has never started a war, you know, so this is and he has that isolationist perspective. He is not here to be a global player. He's here to dominate everybody else.
Speaker 5: But it's that withdrawal from the world, you know, it's role they've held for so long. And I've been listening to some podcasts recently from people who work like an AID, and they're going the impact that that whole USA, that's it, We're finished, right, We're not interested anymore. And there's clinics and organizations and hospitals and that all around the world where people are just going home. They're just locking the door and going home. The impact is just devastating.
Speaker 3: And I think a lot of people and you know, maybe if you come from I won't say Albuquerque, New Mexico, because you see the border right there. But you know, there are parts of the Midwest where you do not meet many migrants who've crossed the border or flown in, and you don't realize that actually on each coast, a lot of the doctors and surgeons who are in your hospitals came to America from another country or that came from Africa and came legally and trained and now work in your hospitals, or your engineers that work at your beloved x or at Facebook all come from, you know, places like India. You know, there's a lot of migration in America that people don't understand as to their benefit. They just think of everyone crossing the dairy and gap and cleaning a toilet in Florida.
Speaker 2: Gosh, a week has a long time in politics, isn't it again. I don't want to keep quoting from another show, but Hosking had a correspondent from Kiev. There's an English journalist called Jimmy Rushton who did make the point because at the moment, a lot of the political rhetoric coming from the White House is like, oh, this ward had been over in two weeks, if I hadn't been us, or if we hadn't been in there. But as this guy, Jimmy Rushing was his name, he said, he said, look, you know, the Russia's troops are looking increasingly ragged as well. They've been at war for three years.
Speaker 3: And sorry because they're North Korean and they haven't also been needing very much service.
Speaker 2: But the point is it's not like they're this overwhelming military power that's swept through the Ukraine. They have fought for three years and they've captured, you know, a few thousand square kilometers at the cost of however, many lives, and the idea that it's all that Ukraine, some somehow, some helpless little kitten, is, you know, with the most battle hardened troops. I think in Europe, I think that I think people are making mistake thinking that they're just bunnies in their headlight. Of course, I mean Trump pulling the security once.
Speaker 5: He pulled the sharing the intelligence, the intelligence.
Speaker 2: I just think I can't use the language I want to use to sum them up because it's a three thirty in the afternoon.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I mean the issue is it's a ship fight between both sides. But Ukraine is relying on external allies for help and so is Russia, and Russia is not about to lose. It's our allies in Ukraine, is it's biggest one?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, the only positive thing that can be said to it is that there didn't seem to be an end in sight under Biden. Did there It looked like it was this will give them just enough to sort of defend themselves, and it was going to go on forever and So if you're listening and you're a Trump fan, the one thing he's got going for him is that this unpredictable deconstructions approached to everything, something had to change. And well that's what.
Speaker 3: He voted for him, because he came in and said, this is not you know, you don't like what the status quo is.
Speaker 5: He's question, then, what do we think the border looks like in let's say six months time, because you're unlikely to see Russia.
Speaker 2: Withdraw No, it's going to be redrawing.
Speaker 3: So get the land that they've already gonetmate there on the river. There'll be some kind of contested zone. I imagine that the UN will agree to patrol for however long.
Speaker 2: By the way, I mean Democrats, they're going to have to find some They're going to have to find someone there as a leader to stand up because sitting there during that State of the Whatever speech and holding up a few little placards looked pretty pretty lame as far as things go, didn't it.
Speaker 3: I saw someone say, you know, like talking about everything that had happened in the last week, you know, Ukraine and all these other things, and then someone said, what are the Democrats doing? And Hakeem Jeffreys has gone on a book tour.
Speaker 2: My favorite politician of the week was actually the French senator. His name is Claude Murray, who who basically this eight minute address in French, but it's translated and it's a summary of what's going on, and it's a it's a pretty good takedown of tru Trump as well. And he's the one who described the elon Musk is a ketamine fueled not knutbag. I'm not sure what it was, but it was close.
Speaker 5: Have you seen can call them for a job sort of phantom billstickers around London who are putting up posters, you know, bus stops and that sort of thing, things like with a picture of Musk on it. I think were they calling the cars swastikas?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: And zero to nineteen thirty nine and three seconds.
Speaker 2: That is quite funny.
Speaker 3: Not Nazi salute. He just has autism oking.
Speaker 2: Right, Okay, it's twenty to four. That'll trigger a few people. You can cooll your jets. People, don't worry. You know, the sun will still sit rise in the east and sit in the west. We'll be back with our panel at twenty to four.
Speaker 4: Mary bunny Begs. I've been breaking my bad just keeping we chums, y'all, me in y'all, no goals when Summer Live.
Speaker 2: Saving norm mi Y's welcome back to the panel on the weekend Collectiveumpton Beverage to Pete wolf Campanana Burns Francis my panelists. Now there have been some I think that we can see this is positive news. There's been a bunch of health nonsince this week of the government's announced it's going to help bring one hundred overseas trained doctors into primary care. I think basically trying to make it easier for them to get qualified as well. So that was a good bit of news, wasn't it.
Speaker 3: And I don't you think yes, because I'm currently on a three week wait to see.
Speaker 2: My GP painful.
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness, I know it's so annoying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think they're also enabling working out enabling nurse practitioners to have a bigger role and you have more of them and the important role they plan in.
Speaker 5: Practice practitioner thing has been fantastic and we've got some involvement with sort of more senior family members and so that their care is often done by a nurse practitioner. I think the person that sorted me out last week also nurse practitioner. Ye, fantastic, great initiative.
Speaker 3: I just wonder sometimes with these announcements, I think that is that enough money or is that have we thought about all the finer details yet? How do you make sure the GP clinic is going to well?
Speaker 2: I think that they had I think in this people have qualified overseas, they had to do their second year in a hospital or something. There's a change to how they can get that experience right, so now they can go into GP practices. And actually, by the way, useful hack if you are waiting to see your GP.
Speaker 3: Oh what is it? Well, don't get sick.
Speaker 2: I think this is a hack. Actually, always if you really need to see someone, just say look if can I come and see the nurse and the nurse takes a look and then goes, oh, I better get the doctor to have a quick look at that.
Speaker 3: You're not supposed to give away hacks like that.
Speaker 2: I haven't told you which practice on Monday, but but that's what. They Also want you to see the nurse if you can, because I mean, there's no point of you've got a an infected pimple or something. You go and are going to see the doctor, Just go and see the nurse. You'll probably get the doctors go yeah, here's a quick script for that. Or you know, I wonder how many times people go to see the GP when maybe they just needed some experienced advice and insight into something that maybe wasn't that great.
Speaker 3: And then sometimes I feel like, because they're always running late, that they then feel like they have to give you your fifteen minutes. You think, no, I've been here for forty five. I'm final, let's go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So that's a bit of good news. The other one, Look, these issues are tricky. I think the bow cancer free screening age load to fifty eight. They've pulled the funding from the MARII program. I think it's always so difficult to work out how you get the right screening for the right people because they're you know, statistically mari are more likely to get belle cancer earlier, and yet to me, it still doesn't address the need that there will still be others in that demographic will get it earlier as well. How do you target the right people?
Speaker 3: Because I think it was a mistake to pull funding from a program. To make a promise to Laura, you should laureate to fifty eight for everyone, and you need to keep that program. Yeah, that's probably because if we said that the program was let's say it's not for mary people, it's for people who have a family history, and so let's say you have to have an immediate family member, and we suddenly go, no more of that. If you have an immediate family member, that does not count. You now have to wait till fifty eight. That's madness. We know that you all wanted to do.
Speaker 5: That's really out there because I'm slightly perplexed by that story, given that I get the Bell screening tests delivered to the house every now and then, and I've only just turned fifty eight.
Speaker 2: I mean they have they seen you on the media and thought, no, there's no ways fifteen He's that was just jacks.
Speaker 5: Of course, by the way, if you do get the kit, bloody do it and yeah, make sure you're okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I mean, I've got I know a young person who's got it through generations of her family, and it's not funded because they're not addressing the fact that there is actually a need for her to be screened because she doesn't tack the whatever box we can go into. And I think that's the biggest challenges. It's to try and identify people who are at the highest gust regardless of I mean, age is a crude summary, so as race. I mean, so I don't know.
Speaker 3: What the answer they all are, but they are all crude to an extent that they all have some some measurable outcome. And we know that that is an important one as well. That and this is this shouldn't be you know, a one or the other. There should be both. You should be able to get it earlier if you are Maria or Maria Pacifica. And fifty eight is great too. Let's keep lowering it for everyone.
Speaker 2: By the way, I know that I understand Shane Retti as the former Minister of Health was working on the stuff. But you've got it. Did play nicely into Simeon Brown's hands that pretty much golden Balls is in the building and then bing bing bing announcement, announcement, announcement. It does give the impression like wow.
Speaker 3: Fire, but that's playing politics.
Speaker 2: Yeah it is. Indeed, we'll be back in just a moment. This is the panel on the Weekend Collective. It's eleven minutes to four.
Speaker 4: If you're feeling down, make you happy?
Speaker 5: W s around make you happy?
Speaker 2: Yes, and welcome back to the Weekend Colective. I'm Tim Beverages. This is the panel. Anabins Francis and Pete wolf Camp are my panelists today. Now I do love the story. We got to you gotta meet some heavy stuff on the panel to day, haven't we We've been. We've been, We've been, you know, facing some fast deliveries. If I could use a crooking analogy, but the police in Brazil have They've disguised themselves for a local carnival and by dressing themselves, I'm not sure if it's not an inconspicuous disguise. They've disguised themselves as as power Rangers.
Speaker 3: I think it is during during carnival time.
Speaker 5: Though, isn't it explain this to me? They're not dressing up to partake. They're dressing in disguise and then sort of acting undercover.
Speaker 3: Yes, so you're not like there's the cops runs.
Speaker 2: But isn't that a brilliant idea to get dressed up? And I mean it was either that.
Speaker 3: Jim's honestly looked terrible.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's either that I reckon. If they were really serious about blending and you'd stick on that, you'd have the big blue sort of eye shadow and makeup and feathers and feathers and g strings and whatever.
Speaker 3: It looks like someone had two dollars shop and grabbed of costumes and said here where these they'll never catch us.
Speaker 2: What would you wear if you were going on Mardi Gras Pete, if you wanted to blend in.
Speaker 8: If I wanted to blend to, if you want to fit and it's spectacular.
Speaker 5: Look, you'd have to go for the y m c A. The construction worker from the.
Speaker 2: Absolutely that's the easiest one to do to you get the av I did it from a girl my daughter's camp, the aator online. Please tell me this photos on my phone here I got. I got a real on the news.
Speaker 3: He's got his phone in hand and he is scrolling to try and desperate to show us.
Speaker 2: I am definitely I am going to show.
Speaker 3: Everybody.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry it's not radio, but I'm bottom left there all we.
Speaker 5: Can't see you from the waist down. That's what we want.
Speaker 3: The whole point of.
Speaker 2: The village shirt and sex pack. What do you expect? Well, believe what would yours?
Speaker 3: I would like to have the physique to be one of the dancers, you know with those amazing seat We've had you said them on Breakfast a couple of times a year. The sequence and the head the head piece weighs a ton.
Speaker 2: That is actually you know what if you have if you've got a swim suit, you add some Ostrich feathers, a bit of mascara, you're away Ostrich feathers. Because I've worked with I've done shows where we've had sort of Las Vegas title dancers and things, and it's just instantly, as soon as you have that sort of showgirl Ostrich feather walks in the room, it's it's it's party times.
Speaker 3: You can just imagine Tim walking in and goes need something more.
Speaker 2: They didn't trust me in the in the thing and the feathers. I was in a dinner suit luckily. But hey, by the way, just on the fun thing. We were talking about this in the break I loved Mark Mitchell doing the manu. The other day, I think it was about a week ago, I interviewed him. I asked him why he didn't wear why he didn't go just because.
Speaker 3: How long did it take to decide to do it?
Speaker 5: I don't miss just rocked up and went, oh look I'm into this, this would be great fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't jump. There was actually a special technique for doing Amino, and he did. And he did sort of more of the traditional.
Speaker 5: Bomb the essex at the cannon ball, didn't he or something like that, rather than trying to do a staple type thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so let's let's make him in terms of well it was actually technically speaking, it was actually last week, so I can't during the week for the story of the week, but anyway.
Speaker 3: But he can hold the record because no one's done anything better since exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: Hey, love to see you guys, got exciting plans for this week.
Speaker 3: Anna, well look hones second, barely remember what day it is? So email your producers going, so are you sure that's the time we turn up?
Speaker 2: Actually and well yeah, well at least you made it so well, thank you for coming in. And Pete, next time I see you, I think, just wear some aviators. You've got a construction hat, you've got a mistake. You just need the aviators and we.
Speaker 3: And Tim will bring the Ostrich figures in the chaps. It's still three o'clock, four o'clock in the.
Speaker 2: Afternot be anyway. I'm going to appear at the back of the the panel for now. We're going to turn off their MIC's as soon as we can, right and we'll be back with the one Roufradio Show. We've got a new guest on the show, Mike Atkinson. He is from a SPA property management and we're going to talk about the power balance between landlords and tenants and also what are the biggest issues that face new landlords when you try and manage your own property. We'll be taking your calls. Oh eight hundred and eighty ten to eighty back back in a moment.
Speaker 1: For more from the Weekend Collective, Listen live to News Talk Said Be weekends from three pm, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio.