Speaker 1: Kioda.
Speaker 2: I'm Chelsea Daniels and this is the Front Page, a daily podcast presented by the New Zealand Herald. Crime is a constant hot topic of debate in New Zealand, one that is rarely far from the front pages. The recent alleged murder of University of Auckland student Kyl Warrell in Auckland has served as a reminder of the randomness that comes with violent crime, with a sixteen year old now charged with murder. But the government is touting that violent crime is on the decline, years before their intended target. So I R streets really any safer? And is vibe more than policy influencing this Today on the Front Page ends at Herald's senior journalist Derek Cheng is with us to discuss the stats. Derek, So we've spoken to you before about the official New Zealand Crime and Victim Survey. Now the full report isn't available publicly yet, but the government has already touted some of the key figures from it, haven't they.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So they came out and they were like, oh, this is an amazing result. We've seen an enormous reduction in the number of victims of violent crime and they have a public service target to reduce that number by twenty thousand compared to when the government took office in October twenty twenty three. And the latest figures, which was a quarter the result, which shows the numbers in the year to February, showed that they were actually already ahead of that target. There were twenty eight thousand fewer victims for that year to February compared to the year to October twenty twenty three. So it's not very surprising I guess that the government comes out and talks about what a great achievement this is, that their policies are working. And I mean any politician would want to beat their chests whenever they've they've achieved, and even to pass this target, this target wasn't really you know, it's for twenty twenty nine, so we're four years ahead and well below the number, and that is you know, something that any politician would want to would want a song and dance about.
Speaker 2: Well, the government did admit that these numbers are volatile, though what does that mean really, Well, the.
Speaker 1: Numbers are volatile because any crime is a really complete expecture, right, I mean, and Bible crime in particular, there's multiple factors that feed into that equation and that they go far beyond what a government is doing. They include access to healthcare or good housing or good education. It's what the economy is doing, what household disposable income is or is not. The numbers will go up and down because there are so many intersecting factors into you know, the levels of crime. But the government didn't really allude to those when they said that the numbers are going to be volatile. What Justice Minister Paul goldsmanth said was these numbers are volatile. So when and if the numbers go up, it's basically Labour's fault, which is a typically political thing to say. When you ignore all the other factors and things are going well, then the government's doing very well. Thanks, thanks very much, Pats on the back. Things are going wrong. It's the previous government's fault and things are going wrong despite what we're doing, and which is obviously a very colored political way of viewing things. So when Goldsmith talked about the vaults early the numbers, he didn't really talk about how things can go up and down. And there are so many factors involved in the equation of crime. He was really saying, it's they got off again. It's going to be Labour's fault.
Speaker 2: Tackling law and order has been a major focus of this government. Can you remind us of some of the policies that they've introduced.
Speaker 1: Well, the most recent one was the passing of the sentencing reforms. There's a number of policies from National and in the coalition agreements with Newdyland First and the Act Party which are designed to basically LinkedIn sentences and stop what the government says is the the two leniency sentences that happened under Labour's watch. Those include like capping the maximum discount the judge can go at forty percent. There is a sort of manifestly unjust get out of jail clause there that's involved there. That includes limiting how many times you can get a discount for remorse or youth. It includes encouraging concurrent sentences if someone offends while they're on bail. So there's a number of there's a number of specific policies in that law change, and that's estimated to increase the prison population by I think thirteen hundred additional prisoners in the next ten years. There's last year they passed the anti gang legislation which had a number of things and including the gang page ban for example. Obviously three strikes the second coming of three strikes is part of the restoring law and Order agenda. These things are actually alluded to by Godsmith when he talked about how our work is seeing great results in the reduction of these in the number of victims of violent crime. He also talked about scrapping the state funding for the cultural reports. Cultural reports a sort of background information that can be given to a judge at sentencing and Minister of Justice and analysis shows that those reports on average usually led to attempercent discount and honest sentence.
Speaker 3: Great to be here with our Minister of Justice and Minister of Police, Paul Gosmith and Martin Mitchell. And the reason is that also some good encouraging signs. I think some good early encouraging momentum around the reduction and trying to meet our reduction of twenty thousand victims of violent crime being reduced by twenty twenty nine, and we're making some good progress on that, and I think that's a collective effort from both ministers and their teams. But certainly the police, the corrections team, but also the general public as well. And so I just want to say thank you as we try and restore law and order in New Zealand. It's good to be celebrating or less acknowledging some of these milestones. Acknowledging also that we have a long way to go to get to where we need to get to.
Speaker 2: If not the government policies, then what is contributing to this decrease? Do you think can they take credit for the vibe that they're putting out there, as Justice Minister Paul Goldsmith said to.
Speaker 1: You, Well, an important point in all of these policies that Goldsmith cited is that they haven't really taken effect yet. So they passed their sentencing reforms, but they don't come into effect until the end of Journe three strikes two point zero. Even though the legislation was passed at the end of last year, it doesn't commence until the middle of June. The anti gang legislation has been in force. But promise with Christopher Luxen in the announcement where they beat a their chests and said look how good we're doing in law or order, he said that the new tools for police to fight gangs were already quote unquote unearthing illegal guns and illegal drugs, but the means to do that was via a prohibition order, which a cork can hand down to a gang member if they violated the gang patch three times. No such orders have been given, So he's saying that something's happened, which clearly hasn't happened. And as for the cultural reports, yes they have been they've had their state funding acts, but it's a really long stretch to say that that one thing could have led to a twenty seven percent reduction in the number of victims of violent crime. So when I was interviewing Goldsmith about this and he was talking about how great the government was doing, I asked him, don't you think there are maybe factors independent of the government that might be contributing to this And he said, well, you know, obviously there are broader factors, and one very significant factor is the messaging from the government, as in the vibe is really important and it's a message that filters through the entire system. And he said that, you know, acknowledging judicial independence, and the government can't tell a judge what sentence to give, it can only set the law, which the judiciary then interprets in handing down it.
Speaker 2: Sentence, what are the stats have you seen?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean crime stats are really crime stats are a real puzzle or right, because there's multiple different stats and politicians love to cherry pick whatever stats they want to back up the things that they say. So we've talked about the New Zealand Crime and Victims Survey, and that's probably the most robust survey because it interviews thousands of New Zealander's age fifteen and over and it accounts for and in doing that it is able to account for unreported crime, and that is only about a quarter of crime is ever actually reported to police. But in the latest announcement from the government, they're actually looking at quarterly results from that survey, which isn't meant to be an annual survey. In the footnotes themselves in the survey, they talk about the quarterly results having to take them with a bit of a pinch of salt because it's harder to standardize the results for the demographics of New Zealand on a quarterly basis than it is an annual basis. So the quarterly results that they just announced where they had such a big reduction. It is very good news, obviously, but it is also like not as robust as the annual results. Annual results they were released earlier this year and it was up to i think the year to October twenty twenty four, and at that point the number of adult victims of violent crime was much higher than the latest quarterly results and has been more or less the same since the survey started in twenty eighteen. There's been, you know, there's been a bit of ups and downs, but it's what they called no statistically significant difference, and it includes during the whole tenure that Labor was in office. Then there are other there are several other statistics. There are victimization reports to police, so if I go and report a crime to police, that's recorded as a victimization to police. And National has used those statistics to show or to claim a rise in violent crime under Labor, but they're really only looking at one thing, and that some acts intended to cause injury, and it's true that those did rise a lot under Labor, But if you look at court data, which looked that people charged and people convicted, then those numbers are much more static. So the main takeaway from this is that there are a number of ways that we look at crime statistics, and none of them are particularly definitive. Some are considered more robust than others, and overall you're generally looking for trends. The trends in crime data show a general reduction in crime pre pandemic years heading down to sort of twenty twenty two, and since then they've been rising, particularly in including a violent crime, and since maybe the middle of last year that has kind of appears to have picked. But then it's very early days looking at that data given that it's so recent.
Speaker 2: Obviously, we mentioned o Worrel in the intro and while that's obviously still a developing case, it is believed to be a random attack. At this stage. There's not really anything that can the government can do to police random attacks, though is there not directly?
Speaker 1: They can do things in general that can help to address things like that. And one of the things that Police Minister Mitchell said when he was talking about the reduction and violent crime victims was that there's been a forty percent increase in police on the beat and having more police on the beat visible on the streets has been shown to be effective and generally making communities feel safer and being more of a deterrent towards crime. But you know, crime is often impulsive. It's often fueled by substance addictions, by trauma, and given those quite volatile factors, when it strikes, it's often spontaneous, impulsive, and quite random.
Speaker 2: Even There are some other plans in their early stages at the moment the government wants to work on. One is expanding citizen arrest powers, which we've talked about before on this podcast, but I understand that the Ministry of Justice isn't a huge fan of it.
Speaker 1: So this was work that started with consultation with the Ministry or Advisory Group for victims of retail crime. Retail crime has been on the rise quite significantly. Part of that is down to better reporting mechanisms. The system AURA, which police introduced, has made it much easier to report retail crime, but there is also a general feeling that retail crime itself has been increasing. So the government is trying to crack down on retail crime and the first thing that they wanted to look at, and they wanted the Ministry Advisory Group to look at the citizens arrest So those powers are quite unclear. The Ministry Advisory Group, which you would expect, comes down or came down really strongly in favor of empowering citizens of rest even when a crime hadn't taken place. You know, they wanted to empower citizens' rest when you had a reasonable belief that a crime was taking placement. Wasn't really prepared to go that for obvious reasons. They've instead sort of found in middle ground where they want to clarify those powers and broaden them and they hope that that will make a material difference. Whenever they have proposals that they asked irrelevant officials to look them over. And the justice officials in this case were not exactly endorsing the government proposal here. They said that the proposal won't really have any desire, in fact, won't really have any impact on public safety, and came with a bunch of risks, and those included people making citizens arrests when police wouldn't make an arrest. And there could be a number of reasons for that, you know, for example, there's no evidence for police to be able to pursue a prosecution. They said that there's a risk of escalating violence. We've already seen this when a dairy worker in Auckland was killed after he confronted someone who stole something from the shop and confronted them one hundred meters from the store and was stabbed and killed. So that's not to say that the citizens arrest powers don't need to be clarified. The Justice officials actually said yes, it would be helpful to clarify them, but they didn't recommend going as far as the government did and is doing is they want to be able to for people to make a citizens arrest at any time of day and using any reasonable force, and that can include striking someone or causing them bodily harm if, for example, someone is resisting arrest. Currently, the citizens arrest provisions is restricted. It needs to be an offense that carries the punishment of three years in jail, and for stolen goods, that needs to be stolen goods worth more than one thousand dollars, and you know you're not going to grab someone and see what's in their hands and then grab a calculator and see if that adds up to a thousand dollars. So there's definitely a case that those powers do need to be clarified. The danger or the fear here is that it will lead to all kinds of vigilanty justice, which will actually make public safety matters worse rather than better.
Speaker 4: Legislative changes introduced in twenty twenty play stay heavy regulatory burden on these volunteers. While some of these changes have been positive, others went beyond what is necessary to ensure public safety. I've heard from club members and range operators that this regulatory burden is too high it may force some to consider closure. This bill simplifies the regulatory requirements for clubs and rangers to reduce the burden on operators while maintaining safety requirements.
Speaker 2: And I believe there are ongoing revisions to the gun safety laws and three D printed guns are one of the latest talking points here. Can you tell me what's happening around that?
Speaker 1: Well, the government has agreed with the National Party has agreed with the Egg Party to rewrite the Arms Act. The Arms Act is I think forty two years old and is no longer as well out of date basically, and it has no provisions for three D printing of firearms or firearms parts. This is a small problem, but an increasing problem in New Zealand police have confiscated a number of three D printed firearms and firearms parts and charged people with offenses, but they actually want a specific offense created where it's illegal to possess any blueprints for firearms parts and firearms themselves to be three D printed. That is still being consulted on. The government rewrite of the Arms Act is scheduled for some time this parliamentary term. There's just been consultation on that over the summer period. A bill to enact what the government wants is probably not expected too much later this year and to be passed sometime next year. But it was interesting because I was speaking with the minister responsible for that rewright, Nicole McKee. You know, she said she's really trying to look at a balance here because some of the three D printed innovation that she's seen by New Zealand companies is only happening in New Zealand and it could be a real boost for economic and small business growth. She talked about having visited somewhere that was making really lightweight stocks, which would be of huge interest to the Defense Force, huge interest to hunters, anyone who carries a lot of that sort of equipment. You know, their loads could be a hell of a lot lighter. Obviously, she doesn't want criminals to be able to get your hands on that, So how you balance that from religious littive standpoint is a really difficult question. So we'll wait and see what the government comes up with it. In the meantime, police will still go after those three D printed guns and gun parts.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us, Derek Cool. That's it for this episode of the Front Page. You can read more about today's stories and extensive news coverage at enzherld dot co dot nz. The Front Page is produced by Ethan Sills and Richard Martin, who is also a sound engineer. I'm Chelsea Daniels. Subscribe to The Front Page on iHeartRadio or wherever you get your podcasts, and tune in tomorrow for another look behind the headlines.