Speaker 1: You're listening to the Marcus lush Night's podcast from news Talks at.
Speaker 2: B Welcome to the last out of the first half of the year. That's right, tomorrow's July. That's right, boom, she's gone halfway through. Shall we do anything about that? It's a halftime stretch. So at midnight tonight, I think we're halfway through anyway, at midnight, well just after midnight, lul Louise. Soon we'll be playing too at Wimbledon. That started once again for your peel that like tennis do night workers it ceparly some good early morning sport. Half past one, that's happening. So we'll keep you. I will remind you that close to the time. Wimbledon starts at ten tonight. Brother, I've been enjoying Glastonbury. That was good, wasn't it. Lewis Capaldi singing after had Tourett's two years ago gets where they sang the whole song for him. Well, that was quite heartwarming to see that. Geet was good. Good song to Actually, what's that called whisper pop. That's what they all do now. They just sort of sing these songs of rey soft voice whisper pop. It's gooled. Didn't know that. I was looking for a term for that. That's softly spoken singing. Anyway, that was good, quite moving. It's good on YouTube. I'll watch it again next to your BBC or something. They do it all live, so it's good. I don't know how they meant it. Just big Glaston resently. You look at you think cheapest creepers, those aerial shots. I don't know what the logistics are of it, where you camp and how you get around and watch your week, but gee, it looks like something worth seeing. Anyway. That is Glaston Barry. Maybe someone's been there. Anyway. Hey, a couple of things happening tonight. Donald Trump, his bill is happening, and he is on truth social sending out a lot of messages, so we're on to that. He's full of his hyperbole. Tell phony Democrats and the Chris Cruise. I'm not offering Iran anything unlike Obama who paid them eight billion under their stupid Road to a Nuclear Weapon j CPOA, which would now be expired. Nor I'm even talking them since we totally obliterated their nuclear facilities, obliterated as in capitals. The next one, the Trump administration has gotten down costs free substantially for the American consumer. There has never been anything like this, And thirty one, great, big American Bill is moving along nicely make America great again. So he's in full flight tonight. I'll be across also to Aaron Patterson, the accused Beef Wellington murderer. Shears well, they've been sequested the jury. They have said deliberate deliberation might take some time, I doubt it. And as to enjoying the facilities provided, because there's not much to go on. To find her not guilty, you've got to assume she went to a Asian specialty shop and accidentally brought death cat mushrooms. Now they went to that shop, they couldn't find any, and one of the chances of that package death cap mushrooms, only one family was killed by them. Makes no sense at all. I haven't followed that case really, really closely, but I find it closely enough to know, Wow, it's a stretch to find her innocent. The only thing that might take some long time if there's a number of charges, they need to go through them one by one. But for me, it would be fairly straightforward decision that she was guilty. I would expect them to have deliberated for no more than an hour or two hours, but I'm not totally familiar with the Australian justice system, so I'll keep an eye on that as well tonight. If anything happens, you all across that. There's Aaron Patterson and the Beef Wellington. They have sat for more than two months, I think listening. She's pleaded not guilty to all charges, so they've been there for two months the jury, so that's what's happening. The judge, Justice Beale, told the jury that what was in dispute was where the serving of the poison meal was deliberate and whether it was done with murderous intent. The judge explained that for the charge of attempted murder, the jury needed to be satisfied missus Patterson had intended to kill in Wilkinson and the intention to cause really serious injury was not applicable. And the defense remind the jury and both the totally closing arguments, the unders is on the prosecution to prove Miss Patterson intensely poison their relatives. An other words, the accused is innocent until proven guilty. So there we go. So that's what's happening. We won't know what happens in the jury room because the liberations are secret um though deliberate. From Monday to Saturday. They will go home during the week and on they will not go home during the week and on Sundays. So there we go. So there is delivered. I don't think it takes very long at all, and they probably want to get back to their lives and their families. But that's a situation. You might want to comment on that as well too. Feel free to come through first week of school holidays. You might be happy about that. If you're a teacher or something, you might be not happy with that. You've got to spend time taking time off week to look after your kids. Anyway, get in touch you on talk. My name is Marcus. Welcome, oh eight hundred and eighty Tenny. They are the two stories we are keeping track of throughout the course of the evening, but mainly it's about the jury and Aaron Patterson. By the looks of the Aussie media, they're not that confident that they will be coming out proper with a verdict tonight. But you know, you never really know the other thing too. I can tell you is that we are working on our transmitter between eleven pm and five am, News Talk ZB and Nelson on one A six point four be off the air for forty five minutes. Stay with us on iHeartRadio if you want to be part of it. But Wimbledon starts at ten tonight, you know, in the meantime getting touched you on to start the whole Well, oh, by the way too, they have got their helicopter pad and Auckland. This is Ali Williams and Ana Mowbray in Westmere. So there are quite strict parameters around that, no more than two flights per day and ten per month. So they found out the takeoff noise would not be unreasonable. Fourteen hundred submissions, thirteen hundred reposed. So what's that about? Eh quiet sky Waite to Maitar said it was incredibly disappointed by the consent. You know they would be if so many people got mobilized. There's a lot of people opposed to that. Anyway, that's what's happening, and they might sell the properly in two months. Who knows what they're going to do. I don't know. Sary know that you would, I don't know. If the consent goes with the property, if you sell that property, if the helicopter can still land, I'm not much if it's tied to those people at fourteen past eight. Your thoughts on the mushroom trial if you do, if anyone thinks that she could be found and is that, I'll be keen to hear from you about that. Also tonight, interesting week of sport to another loss for the Warriors. Not sure if they'll be at the top four at the end, but there we go. I wasn't a bad match. They came back something wrong in the first half that first try hard to come back from that. But all these lessons might help them for the pointed end of the season. They might think, oh, well, they are the lessons they need to learn. So I haven't given up hope on that one anyway. But oh, eight hundred and eighty Teddy and nineteen nine to text Mark is till twelve o'clock tonight if you want to be a part of it. Fifteen past date, school holidays, but anything goes if you want to be a part of the show tonight. What I thought I would talk about or certainly to acknowledge in some way because history is important. Today is fifty years of TV two. So TV two started in nineteen seventy five. I had no idea. I don't know much about TV two and what it was like when it started. I think they had a soap opera called Radio Times. I think I'm right about that. I think I'm right about that. Someone else might know. But fifty years of TV two, so I don't know if they've done anything to actually acknowledge that, but I'm pretty sure I think Derek Payne was it Radio Times. Anyway, you might have something to say about that. Fifty years of TV two and it was very exciting to get a second channel, of course, both owned by the government. Yeah, it was more kind of youthful inspired. Good to hear Ginny Goodwin too talking about that. By the way, the so proper a TV two might have been Radio Waves, not Radio Times, but I think Radio Waves was one of those ones that was on and TV two when it first started. Someone will know. Someone might have been on at twenty past eight edits Marcus good evening, well that good things.
Speaker 3: Watching at Radio TV two. Sorry, at the end of a show, not everybody in the whole or flag and everyone would say what a great idea. You know, it was real good cv T at the un of a show saying good night.
Speaker 2: I think that was I think they might have been on both TV one and TV too weird.
Speaker 3: I found TV two But done it? E me?
Speaker 2: What's your memory?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 5: Ah?
Speaker 2: Right, well, no, because I want to know how if you well, I wanted well because you're coming through quite edimand yeah, I would have thought it would be on TV TV one.
Speaker 3: But you anyway, I want some TV TV two fan. Was it? Thanks for your summit?
Speaker 2: So that was definitely TV two?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was hopeful watching it.
Speaker 2: Gold Watch Yeah, okay, might be right?
Speaker 3: Can I We played a bit of school holidays. What a lovely time kids have got over on these holidays.
Speaker 2: What in the middle of the year.
Speaker 3: I hope the kids, some of the teachers have a good time off of school and the migraining kids. See today doing the house week and we played the pocket money for in the House week?
Speaker 2: How much you paid.
Speaker 3: Twenty back six.
Speaker 2: For how long? For how long?
Speaker 3: Oh? I just don't know who even have got some pieces for us from your wife? Really great and it was really good. Are they if I always do it in school holidays? That's real good for kids.
Speaker 2: To do something good on Thanks for the twenty two past day. Wait eight. TV two was originally South of Civic Television started with the first telethon, did it really? I wouldn't have done where the first telethons were, but yeah, you might be right there. Wikipedie will tell us we are the first telethon, launched the second channel and raised over half a million dollars featuring basil Brush. Some of you will beat on telethon. Let's talk about telethon. That's a good topic. Actually, it seemed like an extraordinary amount when we raised half a million dollars and then nineteen eighty one it was five million dollars. Oh god, this Probably they should make a document of all the telethons. I should cut them all together, all the highlights, because there would have been many. Because what you don't remember about telethon is that every you know, there were five or six studios around the country, all broadcasting from that crossing now to Dunedin. Of course there we go new Total Dunda. So we are talking about TV two and telethon since that's where they lived. Since John Ambulance half a million dollars, don't know how many years they went for, probably about fifteen years or something like that, So you might want to comment on that as well. Tonight, Oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty nine nine to text A TV two or South Pacific TV as it was originally, and also telethons. We'll keep you our dad with the international news tonight. Trump is in full flight on truth social so I'll keep you updated with that as well tonight. What he's doing case any headline grabbers, that's kind of the his standard hyperbole he's coming through with. So yes, that's what we are on about. As I say, eight hundred and eighty ten eight heat wave in Europe, so it's in the high forties in the Iberian Peninsula hot as heck. The other thing too is that there was news reports through today that the Indian government is looking at sabotage is a possible reason for that downed EIR Indian flight with fuel contamination. I would have thought if someone had done that, they would have claimed responsibility. By the way, there's also concerns today about Dick van Dyke. He's dropped out of an event at the last minute and no one knows what's that about. Here's one hundred or ninety nine. The other thing to Calvin Crookshank, I see he can till he was unwell with a heart attack, and I was trying to think, how he can't have been that old. Can't be that old? What do you mean his fifties or his forties? Peter, it's Marcus welcome.
Speaker 6: Yeah, good eight. I remember the first telethon. Now I lived in Auckland then and now it was based in Auckland, and I'm sure only christ Church and then previous ones subsequent may have gone into Wellington, maybe Hamilton, Dunedin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's certainly. That certainly ties up with my recollection. And where was it in Auckland? Was it at the town hall?
Speaker 6: I know, I wouldn't have a clue now that sort there.
Speaker 2: Was a real sense of excitement as all that money came in at the end. It seemed to be an unfeatheredly large amount. Didn't it half a million dollars? I can't believe that.
Speaker 6: Everyone that I recall even after that was the right at the end on the Sunday sort of night. Yes, when it finished there was the lions, Yes.
Speaker 2: Yes, bring it bringing a huge total waiting for the lions, and then.
Speaker 6: That was that that the song was thank you very much for your kind nag.
Speaker 2: Then that form of conger line and out there go, thank you very much, thank you very very much.
Speaker 6: One guy, one guy that was presenting them was uh Pete soon clear. He was one of the main and they used to bring in people from overseas and the Coronation Street actors, and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they should do they should start replaying them. Oh yes, oh you put it on instead of that rail journey right down the country that slowed to you. They should start replaying that. I'd watch the telethon a lot of it would be cringe fee. There was always that nepi, that that possum and neppis that would be dragged along, which always I thought was ge they're supposed to be nocturnal Polypostle I think was a creature's name. Anyway, James, it's Marcus. Welcome.
Speaker 7: Hello Marcus.
Speaker 8: How you makee GW up?
Speaker 7: In the same year as you and Orcard I remember telephon so well. It was just a fantastic thing for New Zealand for many years. You know, at the time of course television, everyone had televisions and there was no cell phone, So everyone tended to sort of congregate probably in their homes around the one TV. And I remember that in my peer group, but you know, probably many years everybody just looked forward to it as such a great entertainment for the whole weekend.
Speaker 2: Oh and you stay up all night. O can we stay up here? You can stay up there. You got three o'clock in the morning, nothing much happening, you know.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And they had challenges. I always said, you know, would challenge the celebrity to do this, and then they double the money if they would get precious McK he.
Speaker 2: Was a total live while with it. Wasn't he doing lifting, doing headstands or press ups or Yeah.
Speaker 7: And they got Lisa Gibbons down. She came down for many years and I think she even met her husband one of the stories of tellingion.
Speaker 2: And I think he was a nasty piece of work too. In the end, anyway, she got free of him.
Speaker 7: But they were raised a heck of a lot of money. So it was always sort of quite intriguing who the lucky charity was because assuming they got the line's here of it, it was pretty profitable for the charities.
Speaker 2: And what was interesting that because you think a lot of people would just be doing false pledges and the money would never arrive. But it always seemed as though kind of more money turned up at the end, which I always thought was quite reassuring.
Speaker 7: Well, yeahs that that that Chap said earlier. I remember, you know, you sort of with half an hour to go, if they had I mean sort of three million, suddenly that a million in the last hour.
Speaker 2: Then the gang members would turn up with bags of money. That was always hard. That was good on them for not stealing it the money in as well.
Speaker 7: So yeah, so I don't know, I mean, I mean it's different times now, but certainly you know, if another telephone, I mean, the young kids used to love it. It was such a years to say, they'd stay up and they'd go into the studio.
Speaker 9: It was.
Speaker 7: I thought it was in Shortland Street.
Speaker 2: I think, I am, I think you are right. Someone said that Auckland's. But then I think they're probably moved it around.
Speaker 7: Yeah, No, like I thought it was. You know, you said that bane of nostalgia. I thought it was. It was a really fun fun thing for New Zealand. That telephone.
Speaker 2: Well what it did make it did celebrate the regions as well, because every other you know, Dunedin would cross to some Dunedin band. It would be some sort of flying un band as well, which I think was surprising for for uh, for a telethon special. But you know, everyone got to play on TV was great.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, it was really good. So hopefully you can have another one.
Speaker 2: I think people queued up to be in the live audience for it too. That was quite a big thing to do.
Speaker 7: And they had the chain. Remember everyone, thank you very much for your kind of nation that all jigger around the studio.
Speaker 2: James. Yes, I think they call that a conga line.
Speaker 10: That's what it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that a chain, but that's a yeah conger lin is quat. Yeah, and there's some at the front doing their kicks and then you break over to your own congo line. Oh tremendous, Okay, James, wonderful, Thank you. Twenty five away from nine, welcome here to midnight. We are talking Tell why because fifty years since TV two was South Pacific TV. It was called of course South Pacific TV. What they started with was was Telethon's well not started, but that was kind of I think I think TV one and TV two were competitive even though they are the same people, so they wanted to get audience for themselves as such. Terriots, Marcus, we're talking telethon welcome.
Speaker 11: Yeah, hi, fifty years ago.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I remember the first one and now this after it. I know Ben Murphy from Alias Smith and Jones came out here and he really gorgeous, yeah, I think, And so was Nina Baden Temper from Love Thy Neighbor.
Speaker 11: She's beautiful lady.
Speaker 12: She was out here. But I was just thinking of a story when I'm not sure if it was the first one or a later one, but you know people coming on, singing, dancing, you know, doing their stuff. And I remember this guy who I think he might have been a strong man and champion or something, but he blew up a hot water bottle. That happening well late what made me laugh as I was watching. And Britain's got talent about I don't know, ten fifteen years ago and some guy came on and you introduced himself and blunts the Simon Cowell and blah blah blah, and they said what are you going to do? And he said, oh, I'm going to blow up a hot water bottle. And he says what you're And I thought, oh, we've seen that New Zealand ages ago. You know, we did that all before you did. So it was I thought, yeah, we're a head.
Speaker 13: I'll tell you about it.
Speaker 2: Tell you about Alias, because I always get confused because it was a show called Alias Smith and Jones, and there was a show called Eliza Smith and Jones. But Alia Smith and Jones was an American what was it a drama or a comedy?
Speaker 12: Sort of a drama. I guess it would be a drama because there was Yeah, I kind of have elements of both Pete duel and and and a Pete Murphy year.
Speaker 2: So it was I'm looking at that now, I'm looking at quite a handsome looking guy, like almost atchcasting a Sundance coud look about him.
Speaker 11: Yeah, yeah, and it was it was quite well.
Speaker 12: We had it on New Zealand, tally and So I don't know what he's doing now. I know that he was in the miniseries of the Winds of War, but he's you know, he's I'm not sure if he's still acting or retired or whatever. So, but Pete Dial had a bit of a trouble, you know, character because he committed suicide not long after the of that show. But yeah, so you really enjoyed all the telethons are great.
Speaker 2: You wonder how they managed to get such high caliber stars down there, be cause I think it's probably the last thing they'd want to do. I think Lauren Bacall was down for one. I don't know whether they are whether they are made to do it or just thought it would be a laugh, or quite how they or they paid them down here maybe I don't know how they would have done.
Speaker 12: That, they would have paid I would just thought you would pay. They have to pay them, I don't you know. I mean, she's a big movie star from so but she her voice is also very appealing to audiences, you know, with that husky voice.
Speaker 11: But Kevin Kennedy.
Speaker 12: From Coronation Street was down here for a telethon.
Speaker 2: Who was the guy who was the last guy you see with the tragic life? Who did you say he was due?
Speaker 12: He was part of Alias Smith and.
Speaker 2: Kim Kennedy was Kivic Kennedy was cull He wasn't he? I remember that?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 14: The one thing, sir, I know, you want to know.
Speaker 2: I'm fine, I'm fine, No time for Okay, What was the other thing going to say.
Speaker 11: Oh sorry eye was Kevin Kenney. I remember watching it and he.
Speaker 12: Went, don't you know how some of the guests that go all over the country, they don't just stay in the studio. And I remember John Hawks saying that Kevin Kennedy went off to down to Pookie Cory and he said, oh, well, somebody yet.
Speaker 11: To go there. I thought, I thought.
Speaker 2: Hang on the you remember those things, don't you.
Speaker 10: I know.
Speaker 12: Yeah, So it was all very entertaining.
Speaker 2: Nice to hear from your terry.
Speaker 12: Thank you.
Speaker 2: We hat talking telethon fifty years ago today, TV True started otherwise known as South Pacific TV. It was a Western sort of comedy alias Smith and Jones, bank robbers turned good guys. Someone said the Stuts beer cap was the star of the show. Tell me about that, Marcus. I think TV three tried to telephon about twenty years ago. It was a flop. I love the original telethons. Your shows bring up such great memories. Yes, I had a slight role in the one that TV three tied tried to do and it wasn't great. I just think time had passed. Yeah, because the great thing about telethon, there was so much cash. You'd love it. Your people, they don't want the cash free society. There were buckets of coins, there were coin trails. The schools loved it, endless coin trailer. Don't even know what a coin trailer is. I'm sure the Reserve Bank loved it because I'm sure they'd get thousands of thousands of their coins back in they'd been down the back of the sofa forever. Marcus was close to home on TV too. I seem to remember on one, but we'll get confirmation for that sixteen to nine, Good Evening, Dot, It's Marcus, Welcome.
Speaker 15: Hello. I'd like to talk about the telethon. I mean, I think I've watched everyone that we had, But I went over to England in the late on no the mid eighties, and I was at a we had a fear where different organizations were raising money and Pat Phoenix from Yeah, from the Current Nation Street, she opened the actual fear and then she and she came round to each of the stallholders and sort of said, oh, you know, who are you cleepting for?
Speaker 16: Et cetera.
Speaker 15: And I can't remember who we were cleepting for, but she said to me, oh your accent. I think I recognized that is a New Zealand and I sug yes. And she said that she had been over for the telethon her and her husband and that they were hoping to fail to come over again. So we spoke for about five minutes and she was talking about New Zealand and how lovely it was. So that was a real thrill.
Speaker 2: Oh that was good that she remembered. That is the thrill, isn't it now? She was, well, she was Elsie Tenner.
Speaker 15: Yeah, that's right, yeah.
Speaker 2: Spure, I've got my coronations trivia. Right, yeah? What was your what was your stall? Dot?
Speaker 15: I don't know, I can't remember. I was helping a friend and I can't remember what we who we were selling collecting money for, you know, but it was a charity fear and yeah it was in Grimsby in England.
Speaker 2: I've heard of Grimsby. What's Grimsby? Famous for fish?
Speaker 17: Oh?
Speaker 2: Okay, fish markets and stuff?
Speaker 5: Is it?
Speaker 18: Yeah?
Speaker 11: Fishing port.
Speaker 2: Terrible name for a town, isn't it, Grimsby?
Speaker 19: I know?
Speaker 15: And it's a bit grim as.
Speaker 6: Well, is that?
Speaker 2: Okay? Grimsby?
Speaker 19: Oh?
Speaker 2: Look into that. Thank you so much for that. Fourteen to nine Grimsby Grimsby. Oh yeah, that's it is once the homeport for the world's last largest fishing fleet in the mid twentieth century. It fell because of the cod Wars. I think it's a Viking town, is it Grimsby?
Speaker 4: Wow?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Always Coronation Street stars seem to come here in great numbers. Must have been part of the contract or maybe they wanted to do it, get them out of the North of England. Oh yeah, I get in touch. You want to talk eight hundred eighty ten eighty nine two nine two to text, Marcus till twelve looking foward to what you've got to say? Anything else you want to talk about. Maybe it's about telethons and I am happy with that, So that's something you want to mention. Good eight hundred eighty tenenty and nine two nine two to text. I'm Grimsby, t boone Marcus.
Speaker 10: Welcome, got a Marcus. Yeah, I've got an old friend that you used to do telethons. You probably know Sergeant Scheltz. He dressed up, he did the christ ch telethon and he was schultzy.
Speaker 2: He would dress up as the guy from Hogan's Heroes.
Speaker 10: That's right, Oh, that's.
Speaker 2: What you that's like a fantastic thing to do.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and he gathered a lot of money too. But he used to do cabarets as Sergeant Schultz. He was an Air Force personnel officer and he ended up being at Hillmorton as a recreation for the patients, you know, Oh yep, taking them out.
Speaker 2: I see nothing, I know nothing. That was what he said, was the I see nothing.
Speaker 10: Yeah, he looked, he looked the part two. He was good man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think obviously.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 10: He died about fifteen years ago.
Speaker 1: Oh hell.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't recall him.
Speaker 10: But yeah, else tonight the christ Church telethon.
Speaker 2: When they have the christ Church one at the TV headquarters there will that be right?
Speaker 10: Yeah, that's right Marcus.
Speaker 2: Did you ever go along?
Speaker 10: I was with him? Yeah, I was up. Well, I was good friend of him for a while and he passed away on me. But would you.
Speaker 2: Would you go along to telethons? Would you go along to telethons with him?
Speaker 20: Yeah?
Speaker 10: I was. I was in me thirty saying, oh you.
Speaker 2: Well, what sort of cabre act would it be? Did he sing or something?
Speaker 10: Yeah? He used to do the beer festivals, beer master festivals.
Speaker 13: He used to do cabre.
Speaker 10: He was a good guy.
Speaker 2: Would he like to sing songs?
Speaker 10: Do you do do German songs?
Speaker 9: Like?
Speaker 10: What?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 10: You know he used to do the beer festival songs and you know that have a I am a cabaret type thing and he'd be the the special guests.
Speaker 2: Okay, that'll bring a.
Speaker 6: Brass.
Speaker 10: He used to play the trumpet. Yeah, so it was musical.
Speaker 2: That will bring my memories for some people. I would think they remember on Sergeants.
Speaker 10: The audience tonight if they remember Sergeant's.
Speaker 2: Shock yep, well you've asked there but yourself to you don't thank you nine to nine if you want to come through Marcus till twelve, keep those texts with all everything at Telethon related. You might have appeared on it as a child, Marcus. I love Telethon. I was dancing and Karabushka Folk company in the eighties. We did a Russian dance on a recentable dage on Telethon. Love watching them on YouTube, gosh, I don't know they were on YouTube. People are saying blowing up hot water bottles are a scam. I don't think they are. I think it's probably just standard. You've just got to actually probably blow them up a couple of times to get them a bit easier. I think there's been a strong a strong man act forever. Power cut it Lake Hawwia. Just so you know, Marcus, I went to Kevin Kennedy concert and fung Arda has a great singing voice. Cindy Oh good to hear from the Korabushka folk dance Company. Marcus st Joseph Cubbs knew Plymouth. We did a big and egathon to raise money. Went to the TVN studio in Palmston North. There we go, that's new information, Palmerston North for a four am slot to hand it over. Go there'd be a big day for the ar Kayler, Saint Joseph's cubs. Yeah, you take your money along. They'll be waiting four hours to hand it over for your brief moment on TV. And what I remember is for those brief moments on TV, you had to watch them because they went video recorders. I don't think think said to stay up all I watch it live. Otherwise you never see your people. You knew it was just because iever he played it. That's what we are on about. Marcus. I helped on about three telethons, two people that came out with shell, Sean Cassidy and Loretta's switt. What lovely people they were, Yes, I think there were in other two ways you're either a nice person or difficult with telethon Officer Poncherrella. I think he was very good. Won the hearts of the nation. Well, of course he did. I don't think it was his name, Officer Poncherrella. But you know what I'm talking about, not the blonde one. By the way, Mainland Semisoft five hundred grams more than eighteen dollars obscene price eighteen twenty nine for Semisoft. She They haven't said what shop it is. It's pricey, Butter Marcus. Is there any news on the mushroom Lady Catherine? No, not yet, but all news on the on the mushroom woman, what won't be good news for her? I wouldn't think, because no jury could find her innocent. That's my opinion, which we'll be back up soon when the verdict comes out. Feel quite strongly about that. I don't know if she gets found guilty, where she goes on the Canon of Australia Serial Murderers, but yeah, she'll be up there. Hudle twelve Nicola. It's Marcus. Good evening, Oh.
Speaker 4: Good afternoon, good evening, Sorry.
Speaker 2: Marcus, that's fine.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was just thinking about tells On. Yeah, nineteen eighty three, yes, and we had a bike ath on from Hamilton to Cambridge.
Speaker 2: And this is forty two years ago, by the way, too, so yep.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And so I was sick that day and I could not go on the bikeers on because I made an amazing crystal garden in science, I was allowed to present the thirty bucks of money. But yeah, so we went along and I said, okay, were right, all right, give us a thirty bucks and there was no way I was giving it over until I saw Dot so oh god, a company was sorry. He was off the young doctors.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'd forgotten all about that. I'd forgotten all about the young doctors. That was huge.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and he was a personality at the time. And I said, I'm not giving the money until I see him, and yeah, so he came out and I gave him the money.
Speaker 2: Now is this in the Hamilton.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it was actually I think it was the Metropole.
Speaker 2: Okay, And did you bike from the other people bike from from to Cambridge? Yeah, if they went Hamilton to Cambridge. Did they the hot kids?
Speaker 6: They did?
Speaker 4: They were through saying, but I didn't go because I was par I was sick.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to think of who the hot doctor was. Was it Ben Fielding?
Speaker 4: No, it was Oh Shivers, I can't remember now. He was the dot.
Speaker 2: Tim Page Steel, doctor Shaw, doctor Nam.
Speaker 11: No, he was a of.
Speaker 4: Lap Why can I remember.
Speaker 2: Two years ago? Mister Dr al Vares Tony alvarus By played by doctor Doctor Doctor Tony Garcia played by.
Speaker 4: Dr Garcia. Yeah, sorry that he got through the backs out of it, or someone did.
Speaker 2: But I don't know what a crystal garden is.
Speaker 4: Oh, yeah, you have to grow the crystals and they Yeah, so it's a scientific singing. So you put your you know, I can't remember either.
Speaker 2: We're waiting forever, we're waiting to even hand your money over. Yeah, that was the middle of the night.
Speaker 4: I was going to give it over until I saw Dr Garcia.
Speaker 2: You don't know how long you waited for?
Speaker 4: Oh probably forty five.
Speaker 2: Isn't it okay? And did you see yourself on TV? Or you couldn't with the video recorders that they're probably over at the bidding of it now.
Speaker 7: Yes, they were did the school recorded?
Speaker 4: But I felt really bad because I didn't go on the bike ross because I was unwell. And then I was like, oh, I don't feel good about me. But I won the Crystal Gardens I saw.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I didn't see that much thirty bucks? Did it.
Speaker 16: Not?
Speaker 4: Well back then it might.
Speaker 2: Have been yeah, I guess so was the coins?
Speaker 20: Yes, pleasent?
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you Nicholas fourteen past nine, Ryan, it's Marcus welcome. Hi Ryan, Oh are you good?
Speaker 13: Excellent?
Speaker 21: I just I was just listening to the talk about the old the old telethons, and I remember being a kid in Marsterden and for the life of me, I can't remember who organized it that we had. It was we were plected coins down the main street of Marston and we had to stick them to the sidewalk and make the longest longest row of coins we could possibly be made. And we went out one side the street, back down the other and all of those coins and went to one of the telethons.
Speaker 2: It's quite significant to go right down the street and across the line and back down the other street.
Speaker 21: Well, yeah, without people nicking them, I would.
Speaker 2: Have thought, yes, do you know how much money you got.
Speaker 21: Ryan, I'm not man, I have no idea, but I remember the I mean it might have been joyful for some people. But that bloody song, you know, they thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Yes, that the head and I think you'd wait for that song there kick anywhere we offer the congo line, go you be here. And I think what happened is people just would be so spontaneously seduced by the amount of money, they just go out and start their own coins to the gang and I'm gonna have a bit of this and kind of a friend you would take over and people would go out and do their own kind of coin trails or go door to door collecting money.
Speaker 21: Absolutely, absolutely, that was a bit of fun.
Speaker 11: You would.
Speaker 2: Sorry, did you go into Avlon to drop the money off?
Speaker 19: No?
Speaker 21: Nothing, nothing, that's.
Speaker 2: Cool, Okay. You probably a topic for local bank, did you.
Speaker 21: I think that. I think that was that was one of the places you could drop them off. There was like buckets and buckets and buckets the coins.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I do remember that.
Speaker 2: And as someone point out, I think the lions were sort of driving around in their cars collecting all the money as well. They were sort of the unofficial henchmen for it all.
Speaker 21: Yeah, yeah, just see what was the other on TV too? They had that that show that'd go around to the small towns and then have like like games playing teams and what was it called.
Speaker 2: I can't remember, but someone someone will, no, I can't remember.
Speaker 21: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I remember. I remember doing it a memorial park. That was pretty cool. It was like, yeah, the whole town was there.
Speaker 2: Are you still in Masterton?
Speaker 21: Oh no, no, no.
Speaker 2: No, oh you sound disparaging.
Speaker 21: Ryan, No, that was It was a nice place to be a kid.
Speaker 2: It's a long way from the sea, though, isn't it. It certainly is nice to talk Ryan seventeen past nine, eight and eighty eight. A lot of people knew it was doctor Garcia Marcus Mum and I would serve the lounge on Matrisses for tilloth on weekends and hicck attire the open fire going all night. Used to make quick seas on the open front of a jag set for hot tail Myles. I was eight or nine. I remember ringing up and donating five dollars, waiting for my name to appear on the bottom of the TV screen. Great memories. What about sums it all?
Speaker 13: Up.
Speaker 2: That's got the lot, the lounge, the mattresses, hick a tire, the fire going Quickxias, jug hot tail, Milo, finding the pledge, waiting for the name. That's brilliant. I don't remember doctor Garcia. I think I've ever watched Young Doctors. There's like Shortland Street, but slightly less medical. I think they just kind of swooned over each other, I believe, but we leaped it up Young Doctors. That was like Neighbors and Home and Away and Young Doctors. Oh, all the great Aussie soaps. They sent me very good at them for I don't know what. I don't know why they were so good. Had the mensic sauce or something good evening Marcus, Sister Scott was lovely. She sounds like a nun. Who she was?
Speaker 22: She?
Speaker 2: And who's sister Scott? More Marcus, are you going to do a puffer jacket debate this winter? Just asking because I'm no longer a fan either. Bulky Hot and Synthetic Nile on Bad Combo, Great Topic and previous winters Sinding. I'm a big fan of the midriff puffer. I've was seeing a few people rocking those think I think, Gee, that's something anyway, Just cold up there anyway, Welcome people. Hudled twelve never owned a puffer jacket. Although I'll tell you what. I was involved with the High Country Muster today and jet was hailing. Boy oh boy, she was a wild day to day. I was lucky I had the appropriate wet weather gear and a successful mission brought the stock down from the high country. Well one of them. That was the only mission brought the ram down and that went well, actually dagged and drenched and watch the space. Well there was a big size only must be about eight months old, because we got him as a newborn like last year, like as a rescue lamb. Amazing how quickly sheep grow. Actually it must have been September. We got him September, October, November, December, January, February, March, April, May. Ohyere ten months old. Anyway, still remembers me fondly. You'll be pleased to know. It's all about telethon people on this fine day. Although watching it home, all the machinations of it seemed unattainable. Didn't think he actually just front up there and appear on TV. It just seemed like beyond the realms of believability to me, John, it's Marcus good evening. Oh right, Hi John, Yeah, gotcha receiving.
Speaker 17: Yeah, sorry, we're here a glutch there. I'm going to sue this question. I come over. Nine of the people who put in some missions for a helicopter pad were against it, and yet it still goes through.
Speaker 2: Because it's not about ah. I believe it's about the act that's appropriate for that and the ground that they can turn down consent. And they did what they needed to do to assure the people that listen to the hearings. I'm still talking, John, John, John, I'm still talking to ask me a question, and I'm sure they managed to allay the fears of the panel that we're listening to. It about livestock and about noise for the neighbors. That would be my understanding.
Speaker 17: You go, people complained about the noise. So complained about the noise. How come ten percent of the population got the go ahead?
Speaker 2: Well, there are strict caveats on how often they can do it.
Speaker 17: Yeah, and I'll bet you they're going to break it.
Speaker 2: Well they won't because everyone will be all the curtain twitches will be there watching and they'll be documenting every flight. Are you in the area, John, No, I.
Speaker 17: Gotta get bet up with the Eagle healths going over my head every single bloody night.
Speaker 20: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Sorry, language, that's annoying. I don't know. I'm never quite sure what the Eagle helicopter does. I know that people love helicopter rescues and the Eagle helicopter, but you never see the reports on whether it's just surveillance to keep people aware or they're actually catching people.
Speaker 17: I see a lot of reports on the news media at the face that the Eagle Helicopter does a lot of good and catching people who have done drive bys the Michael Hill. That's another one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, my mind's an unpopular opinion, but it's what I suspect.
Speaker 17: But anyway, No, honestly, almost an advt of the Eagle helicopter. But I did get fed up at two o'clock in the morning of being waken up by it. The reality is we've just got too many criminals.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh well, yeah, anyway, but that's a situation with the helicopter. Pad got a custom of fortune for the hearings. They spent bit coin to get it through.
Speaker 17: Yeah, and I'll go to my previous comment, I reckon I brought somebody off. When it comes to.
Speaker 2: I don't think you can lead. I don't think it leads that. I don't think it leads that they've been corrupt, because that's libelous, no indication of that. But I mean they just had good people. They had the they you know, they would have had their own consult to their own people to drive it. I mean they seem to be very keen on getting a helicopter landing there. Yeah, well, I apparently in Sydney there's no private helicopter pads in the city in the urban area. So it does seem to be a strange president to set.
Speaker 17: It was a very strange president to set because you're going to have one helicopter and okay, there was twelve hundred people through submissions. Once the helicopter starts coming back with the ports, I don't think you're going to find it's going to be several more thousand people get really upset about it.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't be surprised if they leave the neighborhood after they've realized how opposed the neighborhood is. I'm sure that no one wants to be living in a neighborhood. Well, you know that everyone hates you.
Speaker 17: That's what it's going to come down to.
Speaker 2: Well maybe, but maybe not. But that's why I think often happens. People have these great ideas and they think, oh, they get focused and think, well, actually, do I want to live the fact that the whole neighborhood's ready against us? What ninety percent of them are? That's just my thoughts. But you know, I'm not living in Westmere. It's not concerned about it. But get in touch if you want to talk, oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty and watch out for those metal straws, crazy things. We're talking telethon and if you want to talk about the helicopter paired as well, oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty and nine two nine two text looking for to your inputs tonight, something to them. I've done a telethon for getting vaccinated. Did they do a vaccineathon? I think we did do one of those, didn't we? It seems a long time ago now, although they're still going on about it. You notice that on Facebook, Wow text here credits an email good Evening Marcus Marcus good Evening. When I was a youngster living dneed and approximately ten years old. Telethon was massive. The plan was I was allowed to go to my mate's place along with other schoolmates to play table tennis to raise money for the telethon cause. Myself and a few of my friends after school that day went and stole milk bottle money. My neighbors spotted us. Consequently, I was banned by my parents from going to the table tennis gig. I was devastated and never stole again. It's a shame we have to explain sending milk bottle money to anyone the younger people know. Twenty nine away from ten your telethon store wh is please? I wait one hundred and eighty ten eighty Marcus, tell your listen is to use it all. Turnative to butter if they're worried about the stupid price. If they don't need butter, stop moaning and find an exciting solution to the problem. Is that a fact? We quite like people that moan. I thought John was at least going to be living next door to them with their helicopter anyway. Oh wait, one hundred eighty ten eighty nine two nine to text Marcus till twelve. A lot of kind of amateur dance groups on telethon weren't there that seemed to be a big thing. A lot of piets and clear doing press ups. I think Kamal was here quite often, wasn't he? What was Kamal's song? He was always here. I think for a while Kamal model A lot of marching girls. They seem to be a big part of it. We don't see that so much anymore, do you. Now it's all senior marches. I think there were people from Dukes of Hazard, a lot of aerobics with league warmers. Anyway, I think you watched it back now it all looked a bit hockey, a lot of bad huckers. I think it'll be a fevorit of people doing the hockey tokey as well. Anyway, put ron about tonight if you want to be a part of an eight hundred and eighty Teddy and nine two nine two to text and the obligatory discussion about the helicopter pad. For me, it will be different if they actually had their helicopter license. But I don't think it's going to be that much quicker for them, because how spontaneous can you be when you're gotta get the helicopter pint out of bed. That's my impression. But you know, I don't think I'll be having a helicopter anytime soon. Just as a side you might have watched him at Glestonbury last night. To what was surprising is that Rod Stewart, the guests he had, he had Lulu and he had Mchucknell. He is eighty. I thought he performed alright. Actually Neil Young was pretty good. Yeah, he's quite moving. So it's quite good that it's on YouTube or whatever it is. I thought it was quite good a lot of it actually, So yeah, there we go. I don't know i'd quite see a documentary the logistics of it, because must be incredibly hard to organize. Don't know what they will eat. Split Ends performed on telephone seventy five so on thever early days, full on makeup, miming a song and this is a classic Marcus. Don't forget the belly dancers with silly faces drawn around their belly button. Well, I think they're giant hats made out of newspaper that covered their head so their torsos were their face. Hilarious twenty two to ten markets Marcus.
Speaker 23: Welcome, Yes, Hi, Yes, I remember the days of telephone in nineteen seventy five. It was pretty Sinclave for Auckland and it was Roger Gayscoing for Wellington, Tom Bradley for Cential District, Peter Delva crist Suits and the g ourself tonight.
Speaker 2: For Denie Rodney Bryant. Was it Rodney Bryant Mark? No, could have been turn your rady off for you please?
Speaker 20: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Did you say Peter Dunn for christ Jude or John Donne John done? Yeah, okay, John done speaking?
Speaker 23: Yeah? And also remember the Irish then then editing my little bail of shortening shortening didn't mean to make the dancers for the Irish dancers tell me about them now. They had a song called My Little Man Love Short and then so my Little Bay of Love short number I reckon I could have gone lot.
Speaker 2: Fair they will they singers or dancers?
Speaker 23: Singers an dancers can by that one answer to the Osmans.
Speaker 2: At the time, Oh they they hem and family.
Speaker 23: Could have been but they are Irish and the Osmonds and at the.
Speaker 2: Time were they hit redheads?
Speaker 23: Yeah, very is there. They regret a little bit because they thought they could have taken it to them.
Speaker 2: Were they Oh yeah, but they were big news.
Speaker 23: Yeah, so you know it's a lot happening and you didn't mentioned well went up to nineteen eighty eight. Judy Bailey took the rings after Peter Sink, but they still had the same house for the other locations.
Speaker 2: As far as so, who did you think they were? Pete SINKLEI for Auckland, who for Hamilton.
Speaker 23: Tom Bradley Central districts that they covered, Hamilton, White Kedder.
Speaker 2: Who felt Evlon Willington.
Speaker 23: Roger Gascon.
Speaker 2: Oh of course, yeah.
Speaker 23: I thought you would have remembered that because you would have lived through it like I did. But yeah, you mark.
Speaker 2: The way I go is I let the people tell the stories. Otherwise it's just me chatting.
Speaker 23: Yeah, I hear what you say. And you know there was Frittish McKenzie, and you know there was Rolf Harris. There was even Bill Roling on there doing some preceouse who.
Speaker 2: Was who was doing the press ups?
Speaker 23: Bill Rowling? They thought he was weak, but he couldn't have been that week if he's doing press ups on telephone, No, that's right, Yeah, so he couldn't have been that week after It's just obviously ideology to Mynder and that's what it was.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, he was sort of ridiculed by a week of it and people are trying to make any the sort of weak voice and stuff.
Speaker 23: But anyway, yeah, I think I think that was a put on because ideology to no More do like the opposition part.
Speaker 2: Was Rolf Harris at Tilthon.
Speaker 23: Yeah, he was doing a performance with Jack the Pig. H he's doing that performance on me. I don't remember. He might have been doing tiny the Kendred and Jawn's. I'm not sure, but I remember Jack the Pig.
Speaker 2: Well, two little two little boys had two little toys and each other wooden hat. Yeah, horse wouldn't wooden horse? Wooden horse.
Speaker 23: Yeah, it sounds like it makes Karl was on me and.
Speaker 5: You on.
Speaker 23: The singers would have been known like Shadow now would have been on there at ten across well as Iconic and zeal The singers would have been on one of the telephones or many of them.
Speaker 2: Have you been back and watching on YouTube?
Speaker 23: No, I've got the feeling that may not have the full coverage on YouTube.
Speaker 20: I don't know what.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it's edit or not. Like you over had time to check it out.
Speaker 23: But yeah, yeah, Yeah, they're normally edited, but I remember most of it in the day.
Speaker 2: But I'm sure it's still there in the archives. I'm sure they could upload all of it.
Speaker 23: Yeah, but they don't. They don't know. But nineteen seventy nine it's telephoned. I was actually on both channels. So you know how South South Pacific Talent and Launch Telephone. How come it was televised on Talent Tension one Enterprises or TV in the z placed nineteen eighty on both channels. There's no way out of it, so you had to watch it any TV.
Speaker 2: So you can know Laty for you, Mac thinks for eighteen to ten, Marcus, check out the amount of supermarket and the processes are putting on prices of butter. Cheers Jonah, Well that would be the same percentage though. Mark's. My favorite TV two era was Son of a Gun Show, the launch of Shortland Street and City Life in nineteen ninety six. Always remember asking my grandmother where the gang's got the money from when they came on telethon with big bucks of money. She always says the bank. It's quite funny. The butter is sixteen ninety nine, but it's semi soft. You needs your head read to buy semi soft, wouldn't you. That's part of the fun of butter is trying to make it soft when it's rock hard. You got some telethon memories, fae. No, you're on Mike Tyson?
Speaker 14: No, can I go back twenty eight years ago?
Speaker 10: Yep?
Speaker 14: On Saturday, Saturday, Mike Tyson is disqualified for Barti Evanda hollyfors Ear. Remember that twenty eight years ago today on Saturday.
Speaker 2: Because the fight never happened in.
Speaker 20: It, it was on, it was on.
Speaker 2: I was during the fight, of course.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 2: I went back to the present, of course. Yeah, that's right. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I remember now, you remember now?
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 14: But I think he got disquatified for ever ever ever.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Although he did come back and a fight last year, didn't he with that silly social media person, remember, But his knees were gone?
Speaker 14: Yeah, but I mean it was nineteen ninety eight years ago. I watched telephone, not you go. I watched telephone, stayed up all night.
Speaker 6: It was awesome.
Speaker 14: They should have some more.
Speaker 22: Well.
Speaker 2: The good thing it was was in the miserable part of the year, like now, when it was all winter and people needed something to lift the spirits that worked very very well.
Speaker 14: Exactly TV's rubbish at the moment. Well are you rubbish?
Speaker 2: I enjoyed watching Survive Alive? Have you seen that?
Speaker 14: No, I haven't loved No Alone.
Speaker 2: I watch watch a loan failed. I'll tell you what. There was a New Zealander on Alone. It was embarrassingly bad. This is on TV, TV and Z plus. You've got to survive in Africa and was a key we guy from an a key he tapped on the day is terrible. It's embarrassing. I've only watched the first three episodes because they come on a Friday. But normally it's in the Arctic, but this time it's on the don't know where. It is a lot of summer in Africa. The water seems pretty toxic. You would want to drink that cheaper ten I seven. My name is Marcus, Welcome, Heredill twelve. Hope you God, hope you've got if your If you're not gonna i'd I've got to get to bed. If you're a tennis if that's your thing, I've got the tennis on. It's just three people talking now, but it looks to be a superb day in England, London thirty five degrees. It appears to be they'll be loving that because normally that's raining, isn't it. And Cliff Richard's up there entertaining the crowds. But looks like it's brilliant weather today anyway, So I keep you updated about that. I'm locked alone. We are talking telethon because it's fifty years since TV two started and they had I don't know if they had telethons the whole way through. I don't know which one of the first year would be. Would have been nineteen eighty seven, I don't know. It was for the Saint John's and half a million dollars seemed to be a lot of money. By nineteen eighty one they had the five million dollar mark. I think Basil Brush was here too, was he. It's always good on the pedal, Sharky Marcus, Welcome.
Speaker 10: Kday.
Speaker 19: How are you good?
Speaker 13: Shark bringing back great memories of nineteen seventy six.
Speaker 5: I was.
Speaker 13: A cub scout actually, and we did a coin trail collection thing, and I remember going to Shortman Street at like six o'clock in the morning to stand in line to be able to give our money in before the other people who were dead and I don't know if anyone's mentioned his name, but Andy saw.
Speaker 2: Yeah is big on it.
Speaker 13: He was really big on it.
Speaker 2: And of course Andy Shaw the last couple of months has died. Are you aware of that? Yes, I was. Yeah, he'd been said he'd been sick for a bit of time, I think, But you know, he was someone that was loved and TV because he's been there from a presenter as a teenager, so you know, people were very saddened about that.
Speaker 13: Yeah, well right through to you know, he was doing directing and awful well I.
Speaker 20: Think it was.
Speaker 2: He was a general manager and the enemy worked as right up there was one of the big suits there.
Speaker 13: Now, Lisa Gibbons. I guess everybody's talked about Lisa Gibbons. She came out from the States and poking up with the old mate from Coronation Street. Now forgot his name.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think. I don't think that went that well from I don't think he was a great husband by the sound of things.
Speaker 13: No, it didn't last for all that long because I remember he played Gael's husband on on Coronation Street. Anyway, Yeah, and of course, oh my gosh, I can see him right now. It's a lot of weightlifter. Precious Mackenzie, precious precious Mackenzie. Yeah, precious Mackenzie. And god, there were so many different people who came from overseas to be on me on those panels.
Speaker 2: Shaky, Just just a dive a bit deeper with you. Where was your cub scouts were in Auckland?
Speaker 13: Yeah, Mungey Bridge.
Speaker 2: Okay, and you came in at six o'clock. Did you wait around for a long time?
Speaker 13: I think we were in there at nine o'clock.
Speaker 2: It's a three hour weight and your uniforms, so it was a.
Speaker 13: Three hour weight standing out in shortened street there in the cold.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 13: And but you know, we were all excited because we're you know.
Speaker 2: TV and be really excited. Did you did you get on TV?
Speaker 24: Yeah?
Speaker 13: We we Well, the cameras were on us, so you know when we were handing over the money and now our leader was giving the money and having a talk. Yeah, so those sort of things.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 13: The memories of those sitting up all night was the well back then in the kerosene heater and going in the lounge to keep the lounge warm while we all sort of bunk down in the lounge for the whole time it.
Speaker 2: Was on and Sharky it would be Sharky would be a great it would be a great background for a great Kiwi movie, a murder or something that was all based around telethon weekend because it's such a it's such a familiar and odd thing with everyone just watching the TV day and night. I mean it's quite I mean it's pretty iconic.
Speaker 13: Well, the other thing you mentioned was radio waves, Yes, and I remember radio waves. It was about the radio stations and he had a shivvy Sedan. I remember the radio DJ had a shivvy Snam and I remember it went went somewhere looking for his girlfriend and the radio station went off the air and there was all this commotion. But it's amazing what you'll remember because at the same time I can remember close to Home, yes, which would have been on obviously TVs.
Speaker 2: I think TV.
Speaker 13: Yes, Yeah, so you know all those clothes and it's Chewey's Chewy nice one.
Speaker 9: Yea.
Speaker 13: I remember Chewy, you know, just thought Oilson. Well, I think more of the sort of early eighties stuff was oli Elson?
Speaker 2: Tell me something is this is the Cubs? Is the Scout still there in Mungoty Bridge.
Speaker 13: No, it burnt down.
Speaker 2: And was it sea Scouts or conventional scouts.
Speaker 13: It was conventional scouts. We used to go to the jamborees down at Poka Koe and stuff like that. Yeah, you get well, my kids, even my daughters, they went to the gil Guides and Mungoy Bridge, you know, so we sort of care read it on as as time went by. But and my my youngest granddaughter has started going to to gil Guides.
Speaker 2: Bridge because it's moved right.
Speaker 13: Yeah, well no that the the the Scout spoon down. But the gill Guides Tall is still a mongey bridge. But no, they she goes to the one and Papakura. But yeah, just interesting that that sort of thing still happens. But but definitely, you know, the great memories of growing up in New Zealand had to be telephone. Everybody knew telephone.
Speaker 2: There was a classic about scouts turning up every in the uniform ale cubs. That's a that's a classic memory, isn't it.
Speaker 13: I've still got my toggle which you used to wear with your scarf. I still have my toggle. My mum saved that stuff for me for when I got older, so I still have all that stuff.
Speaker 2: Well, funny enough, Sharky. My boys are at sea Scouts and there aren't many of those left, but they've got quite good one and bluff and that's quite good fun so, and I think their toddlers are not.
Speaker 13: Well yeah, well used to get the stitch on on on like your bedges, so sort of thingving that your mother and sorow them onto your jumper and and you'd have your Iraq. You'd pass those those little tests for all those things.
Speaker 11: You don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know where the benches are such a big dealer. I'm going to run, sharky, but nice to talk to you. We are talking Telethon fourteen past ten. Someone said, Marcus, I think west Side based in the episode around Teleothon. You're probably right, which is a great and it was a great show west Side. Of course, the bank robbery based at Psmith and Cry that was good too. Marcus, could you tell us what channel? Wimbledon fifty ESPN two sixty to sixty one. Nothing's happening yet. There was just two female tennis players doing a TikTok video doing a dance.
Speaker 12: For me.
Speaker 2: Wimbledon's a bit bloody stuff. I always think they kind of overplay their hand Wimbledon, but anyway did to all them they can do what they want. Jeff Marcus welcome.
Speaker 20: Hello, how Jeff oh, hi mate. This business of the Pacific Mahana rugby team, as far as I'm concerned, taxpayers should not be paying UH to sponsor them. I think it's up to the New Zealand Rugby Association to sponsor them as they want to. They were given an allocation of money and they're really in the end. Nobody seems to know where all that money went.
Speaker 2: What are your thoughts? No real thoughts. So I think at all levels, I mean at all levels rugby sponsored because it just doesn't pay its way when you look at the price of stadiums that councils and governments fork out to have one game every two weeks. I think, you know, I don't think rugby's ever stood in its own two feet very well. It's not self sustaining.
Speaker 20: Look, I'm not saying they're a bad team. All I'm saying.
Speaker 2: But you asked me what I thought, and that's what I've told you. I think I think no rugby team is self supporting the whole thing. Who the whole thing seems unsustainable to me. I look at some of the audiences apart from the final of the Super Rugby No one's there.
Speaker 20: No, well don't didn't they didn't they beat the blows on a game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a material you talk about the funding of it? Does Jeff? Sorry, rather that des It's Marcus, good evening.
Speaker 18: It's Marcus. We were just talking about Precis McKenzie.
Speaker 7: Yes, and.
Speaker 18: We had an interaction with him around nineteen seventy eight seventy nine when he had brought her was going to helens Or Primary school. She would have been about six or seven. She's doing athletics and he came along to support them a bit. And somewhere I've got a photo of her, of her caud giving her a cuddle, which he's rather embarrassed about, but I can't find it.
Speaker 20: Oh wow.
Speaker 2: He seemed to be every He seemed to be something every child knew because he was always around the school. He seemed to be a sort of It's hard to think of a more beloved icon than him.
Speaker 20: Yeah.
Speaker 18: He was very supportive of the activities.
Speaker 2: In that because he was He wasn't from out that way, though, was it? He was more recent than I think.
Speaker 3: No, I don't know.
Speaker 18: I can't remember why he came. He just came along for some reason or other. And you know, he was a sort of a athletics evening on that she was doing sort of an owned or athletics.
Speaker 2: Yeah, did you get to meet the guy?
Speaker 18: Yeah, we got to meet him. Yeah, what you'd at the early seventies, there would have been about seventy eight seventy nine.
Speaker 2: Really, that makes sense, and that's it Helen's rule.
Speaker 18: Yeah, because she was born in seventy two, so she would have been six or seven, so it would have been, you know, seventy eight seventy nine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I still hear him on the edge for a retirement center.
Speaker 10: Old.
Speaker 2: He still seems to be doing well around there. I mean, he was the hero of the seventy four Commonwealth Games, wasn't he.
Speaker 18: People loved him, he was and he popped up every now and again. We used to keep keep an eye on him when he came into the news or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, okay, good to hear from him. This things. So at twenty five past ten, Marcus till twelve oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty get amongst if you want to I zaimpics the other Oh, by the way to that Aaron Pennison, the Mushroom Woman. The jury is out, but they can only report back during office hours, so we won't get a breaking verdict on the show because this show doesn't align with the office hours for the judge in Australia. I would be surprised there's a verdict tomorrow based on nothing except the fact that I can't see any way she could get off none of it. I can't see a scenario where you didn't kill them. Oh wait, eighty ten, eighty, Good evening, Suzette. It's Marcus. Welcome.
Speaker 10: Hi, Marcus, Hi, Susan Hi.
Speaker 25: I was thinking about that mushroom killer over in Australia. I think she'll get some sort of like due to madness sort of thing, you know, like I can't be convicted due to madness or something.
Speaker 2: I don't think you've always played that case though deminished responsibility.
Speaker 25: No, they didn't seem to go down that line, and I thought they would have, so that was a surprise too.
Speaker 2: I'm surprised it's just play guilty for a diminished sentence.
Speaker 25: Yeah, it's something like that, But anyway, I'm wondering. Do they still have psychiatric institutions in Australia, do you know? I'd imagine so, oh, well, she'll probably get put in one of those, I would think. I like those two two women here that killed the one that killed her children and the other one that stabbed her husband in the bath. They got put into that syche.
Speaker 2: Remember the case with the bath.
Speaker 25: Yeah, he was having a bath and she went in and stabbed him.
Speaker 2: How long ago?
Speaker 25: Oh the year?
Speaker 13: I think.
Speaker 2: Was it in your town? That sounds a bit grim, No, no it was.
Speaker 25: I don't know. I'm thinking that's what will happen to the mushroom Coller. She'll get off on psychiatric reasons or something and going to a psych.
Speaker 2: And she doesn't deserve to with premeditated murder, Yeah, but she's mad.
Speaker 4: You know, you have to be made to do something if we made, if.
Speaker 2: We made to murder someone, though, wouldn't you Yeah, pre meditate, you would say that for anyone, But yeah, I do.
Speaker 25: But something pushed her, and I think it's something to do with the relationship with a husband that broke down and wanting to get even.
Speaker 2: And I think I she had inherited money and it was alone, should let some of them. It all got messy with money and paying back and stuff like that. Just people's thinking goes in such a way they can't see a clear way out of it and they start doing. Yeah, she's not going to get.
Speaker 25: Off, No, definitely not. But I think she's definitely mad fear enough from a nursing perspective.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, well you'd know. When I say you'd know that, I mean you'd know from a nursing perspective.
Speaker 25: Yeah, I do from my training.
Speaker 2: Brilliant. Okay, great, Trump's anything. No, he's gone quiet again, is he?
Speaker 16: No?
Speaker 2: Trump's gone quiet. Michelle emails. I don't believe she's set out to poison or kill those people. Plus, there is absolutely no motive. I'm confident she'll be found not guilty. Well, she said killed them if she went googling for poisonous mushrooms and went to buy them, then bought the dehydrator, then dried them, then served them to her guests and told them she had cancer, to Entyson to come around, and then got rid of the dehydrator and hid her phone. It had a separate colored plate, so she didn't eat it. I can't think of one thing that will lead to her innocence. She meant to kill them, and it was deliberate because the plan only worked really if they died too, because you know, if that all died, what if she got away with it? No, she wouldn't have. But the fact that someone survived, there was a witness to the meal makes it less likely for her to get through with it. That would be my take on this one. So despite ninety of the submission has been opposed to it, they are going to get their helicopter. Marcus, is the concord really making a comeback? I haven't heard that. I think it's one of those stories. It's always around, like flying fairies, fairies on the water. But yeah, good evening, Jackets Marcus, welcome.
Speaker 19: Good evening, Marcus. How are you doing good?
Speaker 2: Thank you, jack It's good.
Speaker 19: Until I'll do a quick call about being mushroom trial and one of her previous callers who commented on it, yeah, I've got a name. But she's saying that the lady will likely be sent to a mental institution. Yes, there's a zero chance of it. She hasn't had any insane place, she hasn't brought up any mental health during the trial. There is zero chants that they'll put her in a mental institution, no need for it, nor should they. No, No, it was pretty meditated murder planning some pole. She knew what she was doing. She'd planned it all out, and she planned it to her tea pretty much except for her person surviving.
Speaker 2: But even if that, even if that person didn't survive, it would have been very hard for her to get away with it.
Speaker 19: If I went home and they somehow died their house and you know, it still would be tracked back to her. But I don't know what her band was to escape the whole thing and get off scott free. But it makes you just don't know about the Internet trail of police been able to search up her search history.
Speaker 2: But even without the even without the Internet trail, she cooked that food and they would have known it was death camp mushrooms because the autopsy, and she would have said, well, she got mushrooms for a health food from an Asian food shop and no one else had died, So it's unlikely that just going to be a packaging era and just one packet in the world is the death cap mushrooms. So I even then can't see how she would have managed to get away with it.
Speaker 19: That is, there would honestly be no defense that would stand up in court or even throw any hint of doubt that she could have thrown up the course even if the best lawyer that way, I wouldn't have been able to spend it in any way. They could have tried, but there's been no converting to jury or judge because, as you said, there's those valid points and at the end of a day, the icing on the cake was her Google history.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And she killed them and killed them knowingly and deliberately. She didn't want to make them sick. She wanted them dead.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and that was an intentional act.
Speaker 19: Makes them the sick is one thing, but you know, go now of your way for the research, preparing them, giving yourself a different plate. You know you knew what you're doing one hundred percent. There is no you can't play insanity on that either. It's not a spur of a moment psychosis. Things prey planned. I'm not sure how many days before or weeks before, but plans, you know, tivity. She knew what she was doing. There's no psychosis or mentalth element to it.
Speaker 2: I wonder what a more successful tactic for her would have been.
Speaker 19: I'm sure there's many other ways. I'm sure chat GPT probably could have given her a better way.
Speaker 2: But I'm just trying to think. It was very hard these days with search histories and cell phones and the like. I mean, it's very hard to kill people in the way you get away with it. And also CTV footage.
Speaker 19: Yeah, it is, it is is. Yeah, best generations. Sorry for the last ten fifteen years before technology, there's no getting away. Even with encrypted phones, encrypted apps, you're going to be found out by or another. If you pay cash at a staught by a cell phone, it's still going to track you down.
Speaker 2: There's readily you can do. And this is someone that manages to actually have no digital footprint, but that's probably very hard.
Speaker 19: These days, it's virtually impossible. I'm sure it's virtually impossible. You're going to end up on the Internet somehow, whether it's Google, Gmail, Yahoo, whatever, you know, there's always going to be a footprint of someone.
Speaker 2: You wouldn't expect the deliberation to last long, would you.
Speaker 19: I didn't expect it to last this long at all.
Speaker 2: No, But maybe they're just maybe they're just want a bit of a break and have a nice meal and stand the hotel. Maybe they've got two months and it's just like, well, let's have a bit of a treat, let's have a dinner tonight in a glass of wine, and then tomorrow we'll start talking about it. Maybe that's their attitude.
Speaker 19: Good well be. But also it's a landmark case, so they've got to cross all the teas and don all the eyes, and they can't be any doubt. There can't be anything that a lawyer can use to overturn this sentence, so it's going to be air tight. That's probably why it's taking so long. Shouldn't have taken this long. Ear tight. But I'm sure they're just crossing everything.
Speaker 2: So two died or three died, two died.
Speaker 19: I'm personally not sure. I don't keep half of the number.
Speaker 2: So then, and so I guess there's also charge of attempted murder with the person that did survive, So it's probably there's probably got to go through three or four different scenarios as well, which will take a bit of time. Surely three three three died and three died and one attempted murder, so that takes a bit longer.
Speaker 19: I guess yeah, I think don't they have to do each individual charge for you know, so you know, we're ear tired on this person, we're ear ted on that person, and then if there's any the first person, you know. Yeah, but I'm not too knowledgeable of justice system, but at the end of the day's taking a while. Should be pretty clear cut and it's just hope justice served.
Speaker 2: Thanks Jack. Yeah, if she gets not if she gets some not guilty, then the academy, you know, I meante it'd be more events would come forward and then have a retrial. I guess for the bozo sho'd walk away. I think it's very unlikely. Glenn's texted Market texted Marcus. I was on telethon late eighties in a band called fan Club. Although quite well known, We're on after Johnny Farner. I was little distracted by his backing dancers, just quietly at from Glynn. Didn't know Johnny Farnman was there. The voice Kevin Marcus. Welcome, Yeah, good evening.
Speaker 8: So Marcus, I'd like to talk about the proposed change in Powerball lotto.
Speaker 2: Yes, please, thank you.
Speaker 8: Okay, so I can go back the last thirty nine draws, So you just worked the way through this. So at thirty six draws back, I can go there that there was you know beyond that, thirty nine I don't know, but thirty six, at thirty six draws back, there was a winner, and then five five draws below that there was a winner, and then there was another one the next draw. So he obviously got four thousand. Then it goes ten thousand to the next draw or ten ten draws, and then it goes eight doraws draws, and then it goes another eight draws. So what they want to do is put up extra powerball and have mega jackpots. Yeah, well that's just damn crazy because in that in the last thirty six draws there's been six millionaires and apart from one, the other ones would be probably just about double figures, just about all of them.
Speaker 2: I think they want more, bigger, more dramatic first prizes.
Speaker 8: No, No, it's a they want to have a megapool by putting an extra extra ball in. Then you've got to pick seven winning numbers and they want mega mega jackpots.
Speaker 2: But that's because it's getting yeah okay, yeah, but but.
Speaker 8: The thing is, yeah, that's what I heard they said, because it's getting.
Speaker 2: Drawn too often, too often successful.
Speaker 8: Not losing money, So why why worry about it?
Speaker 2: Because when it goes for a mega prize, then you get all the extra publicy because people radio shows are speaking to statisticians. What's the people love that I've seen amount of money because then they can really fantasize about it. I think that's right. That's why I reckon happens.
Speaker 8: Yeah, okay, so what about the families that can't afford it and they see the big jackpot? You're going to spend money they haven't gotten. The kids are going to myself.
Speaker 2: Well, that's gambling for you. I mean, it's gambling after all. Probably no one really should be spending money if they can't afford it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but the drawer of the big jackpot would would just automatically put.
Speaker 6: You into it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's I mean, lot is really problematic from a gambling point of view. There's no doubt about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I mean, you know, Marcus, they have in the last thirty six straws six winners. You know, that's better than somebody winning an awful amount of in a jackpot and only having maybe one winner in that thirty six straws. Yeah, and now you've got six, Well, is it better to have six millionaires running around?
Speaker 13: No?
Speaker 2: Because people think are a million million?
Speaker 20: People?
Speaker 2: Are the big about that they can really fantasize about.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but I mean reality is reality, and times are tough, and you gotta you know, all the people, all those six people at one I'll tell you what. They wouldn't be wanting to change anything a bit.
Speaker 2: Do you buy a ticket every week.
Speaker 8: Occasionally?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 8: But yeah, I mean it's just you know, it's the more people that win, the better. And I mean, you know there's a lot of families and you'd understand this that the last draw was thirty million. Well, there's going to be the benefit of the families that are going to benefit from that amount of money, You're not you know, they're going to share it around obviously.
Speaker 21: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know it could be Marcus that could be in that family, and I only guessing there could be three or four offspring that might have brand new homes coming up, you know, So isn't that worth it?
Speaker 2: I think they just want the really big prizes. That's when the hype kicks in and people start talking about That's my view. But yeah, I mean I don't want to you know otherwise you imagine, well just you, if you want as many what is as possible, you may as well give everyone the prize money back. It'll twelve eleven, I seven name as Marcus. Good evening, looking forward to your calls telethon and Lotto and mushroom case. We were falling on the final oal for tonight. Love to hear your thoughts on the mushroom case. Get why and it's Marcus welcome.
Speaker 9: You know Marcus this I don't know who works for a lot of but what a stupid idea of putting an extra powerboll in the draw. I mean it's not going to create a more any more interest. I mean there's one chance at the moment, and thirty eight one shot and thirty eight million are picking six numbers in the powerball at present. And the only reason it's not getting so big as usual is because the way times are at the moment, a lot of people just buying a ticket where they wouldn't normally have bought a ticket. There's nothing wrong with winning formillion or as the four million is up for grabs every week, that's that's four thousand. If you don't want to buy a house, that's four thousand every week for the next twenty years if you're single. And a month ago when the draw was worth it got up to seventeen million for the powerboll And a woman who didn't even think about power, even think about buying a lotto. She was just out shopping with her grandson and her grandson wanted something at the supermarket that she went and bought a ticket and she won the seventeen million, and a few draws ago it was worth thirty million. And just that somebody in in Chicago and another person in Wellington, they just bought a ticket each. They weren't thinking about the big money and they got fifteen million dollars each. And it's just trying to make it harder and hoping that'll go to a big price is just ridiculous. When the last time it went to fifty million, they capped at fifty million. If they want to make excitement, don't cap it. Let it get up to one hundred million or one hundred and fifty million. When it got up to a fifty million last time, it had to be capped and the people were queuing out supermarkets. They're all over the shopping centers and it had to be won because it was capped at fifty million, and when it was drawn that night, nobody got the first division, the second division. I think they paid out on a third or fourth division and everyone got eight thousand dollars each or something. So what's the excitement? And that people are getting sick of? But they know when it's capped, a lot of people are going to win. So you're not winning fifty million the dream, there's no dream there. You're winning about eight thousand dollars. Is that exciting?
Speaker 2: I guess it's the competition. They can do what they like.
Speaker 9: Yeah, but everyone knows from past experience when they cap it at fifty million and it has to be won, you don't have you don't have to get six numbers and the powerball. You could get three numbers in the powerball and share the prize with thousands of people. So you know you're not going to get your fifty million. You're going to share a You can win as much on gambling on the horses. You're not going to get your fifty million because it's capped. If they want to make excitement, don't cap it. They'd go to one hundred million. One hundred and fifty million, and then it has to be struck with somebody with the right sex numbers plus the powerball.
Speaker 2: Will you stop it can't be Will you stop playing it? Will you stop playing it?
Speaker 9: Stop playing? Well, I've taken a Loto ever since the start I wrote from thirty something years ago. I've taken at every draw. But I mean, I don't always take powerball. I just I'm quite happy to win a million dollars because I'm single. A million dollars is if I don't buy a house. If that's a thousand dollars every week for the next twenty years, if I live that long.
Speaker 2: But you just talked about how it's crazy to have an extra ball, will you still buy a lot of that way?
Speaker 9: Well, the extra ball doesn't worry me because I don't look at it. There's one chance in thirty eight million, and an extra ball is one chance and forty two million. Because something'serned. I've got one chance in four million. There's only four million people that would probably buy it. Think it may be less because children can't buy it. I'm only playing against three million people, so I've got one chance in three million of beating somebody else. But I don't look at it as zeros as warty million or thirty eight million. Got a completely different way of looking at things, COVID.
Speaker 2: I mean what they say, they say what their head biscuits is a lot of en says. Ticket sales the highest they've ever seen, meaning Powerball has been struck more regularly, more regular wins, more regular wines means few of the more exciting megajackpots, like the fifty million that draws extra expotential ticket sales. Yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah, the last fifty million drawed. There's thousands of people. I went to see market. I couldn't even go shopping because it couldn't get in the door. Everyone was queuing up. And that was the last one. I think everyone got eight thousand dollars. Thousands of people won because they don't.
Speaker 2: They sold a lot of tickets because it had got that high.
Speaker 9: Yeah, but you don't. You don't have to fix six numbers and the winning powerball because if nobody ficks it, it got so high, and nobody fixed six numbers, and nobody had the correct powerball with six numbers, So I think you only had to have three numbers.
Speaker 2: And correct powerball, So you think it's a mistake.
Speaker 9: Well, it's stupid because the excitement was fifty million, and since that happened, people aren't really caring about because it terminates. You can win with three numbers in a powerboll and, so you're sharing the prize. You're not sharing fifty million. You're getting eight thousand dollars or six thousand dollars or five thousand. Because you don't have to pick six numbers. Everyone shares the next division down, the next division down.
Speaker 2: Do you think these people don't know what they're talking about a lotto? Do you think they're idiots?
Speaker 9: I think they're talking later that I mean, I mean, like I said, I've been taken ever since it started, since it started, well since the last five years. I've kept the tracker.
Speaker 11: I've picked five.
Speaker 9: I've picked my own numbers. I've picked five of the six winning numbers just for their ordinary power, just with the ordinary lotto, not with the powerboll I'm just interested in winning a million, So I've picked five numbers twenty six times. Like if you pick five numbers and the bonus number, you get around thirteen thousand to twenty thousand. But because I've picked five numbers of the correct six numbers five of the main numbers. Well I get is six hundred dollars every time?
Speaker 20: Is it?
Speaker 2: Is it your biggest win?
Speaker 9: Well, that's all you get for picking five numbers?
Speaker 2: Is it your biggest one?
Speaker 4: Is it?
Speaker 2: What's your biggest win?
Speaker 9: Years ago, Reigning went home and I picked two numbers on each box, and I asked a brother picked three numbers in each box, and asked some other pick three numbers each box, and we got five and a bonus and got thirteen thousand, eight hundred.
Speaker 2: Well will that mean?
Speaker 17: Will that be more?
Speaker 2: Have you one more than you that you paid?
Speaker 19: No?
Speaker 9: No, I reinvest and I've lost more than of h of course because of one nothing big. But I mean once you win a million, I mean, there's nothing wrong with a million. If you're single. That's one thousand dollars every week for twenty years.
Speaker 2: I reckon, you've put so much money into over the years that you'd be crazy that you're hopped and you couldn't stop now because you think it might be your turn.
Speaker 9: No, that's not the reason. I mean even I mean I haven't spent a million dollars. No, I wouldn't even spend a half a million dollars. I wouldn't even spend one hundred thousand dollars. You know, it takes a lot of gambling to spend that sort of money. But I know joggers are going to the casino and they've lost more than that in just a one night at the casino. Loto is not a bad thing. It's just that they've got the wrong idea. If they really want to attract people, don't put.
Speaker 2: A cap on it.
Speaker 9: Make the people. They have to pick the power wall, they have to pick the six numbers. Don't cap it at fifty million. Let it go to one hundred and fifty million, two hundred million. Then people will be chewing out every week. They'll have people who've never bought a ticket before will be chewing up because they know they're not going to have the share it. They're going to have to pick the exact numbers unless another person puts them the famed and you're still getting a huge amount.
Speaker 2: Nice to hear from you, Wayne, think you someone I'd like to pick up some of those points. I think it's these. They probably study it, they can do what they like. But I don't play lotto. I might play when it goes to fifty million once probably once every ten years. That's where I come in. Then we always have the DISCUSSI about how much would give away. When it gets up to give away eighty percent, I think, well, actually whire we bothering and then it gets complicated. Go back to one draw on a week. Get rid of Powerball. They still have Kino daily. Keino Marcus high Marcus. I've had three months in Europe. Mo neeed to walk the Camino in Spain. It's my last night away and I'll be back at Wellington tomorrow. It touches a few days ago stately home outside the Cambridge, UK my friend I walked along the English country footpaths and through woodlands to get to the Walpo house. And if you're listening to you and your callers from the other side of the planet, k love each other. Jesus. Thanks Kay well one police. She had a fantastic time. Quite envious of you on the Camino, So well done you. It's a great email to get get in touch about the mushroom trial. I don't believe she's set out to poison or kill those people. Plus there's no motive. I'm confident she'll be found, not guilty, literally over my dead body, while do you have individual portions of beef Wellington? Why did you concoct a cancer story to get people round? None of it's good? And then maligning the Asian food shops for selling your magic, for selling you deathcat mushrooms jeepers. Marcus g That man is a marvel. I've played Powerful from day one on, Marcus about three times and nothing over eighty dollars. This man, your talk to appears to win all the time. I don't believe his his wins anyhow. I follow race horses.
Speaker 20: Thank you.
Speaker 2: You like to say that it's one thousand dollars a week. I think you wanted me to push a bit deeper on that. Oh Hi, Susanne, it's Marcus. Welcome.
Speaker 22: Hello Marcus. Look, I vebantly sorry. I've got a bit of a kind of qroaky throat happening here. But I'm vehemently opposed to what the last man said about let the powerble get as high etc. As like it should. I missed out on the earlier bit of the conversation, so this may have already been explored, but I actually have a firm belief that if they tapped it at something like about twenty five million, and the dropdowns into the lower division would actually generate more interest with people. It's absolutely ridiculous to think that your average like let's just say Joe blogs or Joan blogs me win fifty million dollars wouldn't have a clue what to do with it. But as they got two point five million or five million, that's perfect to spread out amongst family and things. And the Lottery's commission have not done the odds on that sort of analysis. They are just presenting to government, let's do this, and the greater good would come from having more regular winners. Sorry, I haven't let you even talk yet.
Speaker 2: I think the way it works when it gets really high, they get so many people buying tickets, they make a fortune. It's all on hype. You need to get those big things because then people start talking about it, and even people that don't buy a lot of they're anxiety. You're going to buy a lot of only well, what's happening. It's fifty million. Jeepers, creepers. Even I get hocked on there because fifty million would be an extraordinary amount of money. You could do everything. I wouldn't have a problem spending fifty million.
Speaker 22: Oh really, what would you do, Marcus?
Speaker 2: Oh I wouldn't have a problem with it, good man. Oh No, I wouldn't at all. And but I I I'm not thinking I'm not going to buy because it's too much money? Would you know it? Would I have no problem spending it.
Speaker 22: I'm just like kind of looked back to that man who won twenty eight million being a supermarket person in Hamilton, and like he's now bankrupt and.
Speaker 8: What has you?
Speaker 2: He got married quite quickly afterwards.
Speaker 22: Didn't he, I believe. So, yeah, some gold diggers out there for sure.
Speaker 16: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I look at yea and they've got the machic. Yeah. Look, look that's a whole lother I mean, it is gambling after all. They want people to get addicted. But yeah, but nice to hear from you, Susan, Thank you, good evening, Patria. Sure it's Marcus.
Speaker 5: Welcome, good evening, Marcus. Lovely to speak to you to talk about the mushroom case. I've been following it from Australia and today I was watching and the judge is given a directive on about five subjects there only to discuss well, I couldn't having trouble with my eyes at the moment, so I couldn't see what the five subjects were on the screen. But anyway, she's awesome to talk all about these subjects. And she said that if they don't agree each one with each other, it would have to probably come into a hung jury. So did any of the listeners hear that.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but yeah, but yeah.
Speaker 5: It has been going on over nine weeks now, and of course every question she's given, she lies on every question. But then recently she said she suffers from virtual depression, so that might have been another thing to cover up all the lies. I don't know, but I feel glad for her. A strange husband that didn't go. I bet he's pleased now.
Speaker 2: And although the children would have lost their mother because she'll go away for a long time, So I mean it is tragic.
Speaker 5: What are the children the day before? So they wouldn't be there as witnesses, and.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about the family. The kids won't have their mother because she'll be in jail for a long time.
Speaker 5: Well, I the way it's going, I don't think she's going to be found guilty.
Speaker 2: Of course, you'll be found guilty anyway. Here are the questions. Okay, is did very much? Patricia? Patricia, Patricia is I've got the questions for you that you couldn't see. I'm going to read them to you.
Speaker 6: Okay, oh, good, good good?
Speaker 8: Ye?
Speaker 2: Did question one? Did miss Patterson cause the deaths of the lunch guests? If the jury is satisfied that, it can move on to element two number two? Did she do it deliberately? If that is satisfied, then the jury can ask question three, did she do it with intention to kill or cause serious injury? And if the panel is satisfied of that, it can arrange the final element, did missus Patterson commit the killings without a lawful justification or excuse such as self defense? Well, it's very clear the answer to all of those, isn't it. Yes she caused the death, Yes, she did deliberately. Yes she intended to kill them. No, she couldn't say there was an excuse of self defense because her life was in danger. So I think the way that is very clear that it's guilty.
Speaker 5: Jurisdiction. From the judge to the jury today, I had to talk about it. If they couldn't come, if need to agreement, it would become a u A hung jury.
Speaker 2: I don't think I've ever had beef Wellington. Judge said, have you ever had beef Wellington? Beg your pardon, dear, have you ever had beef Wellington?
Speaker 5: Beef Wellington? I'm ringing from Carpody Coast here.
Speaker 2: Brilliant, that's what we need today, Patricia. Yes, Patricia was asking you have you ever cocked beef Wellington?
Speaker 16: No?
Speaker 14: I haven't.
Speaker 5: And I'm ninety four today.
Speaker 2: Happy birthday very much?
Speaker 5: Wow, lovely day?
Speaker 20: And did you people coming in?
Speaker 5: Lots of flowers? And I had another lovely friend came in who'd been away for about four or five days up until WRONGA yes, and she arrived back and Wellington Diday and she was around well, the biggest ever seen, got all the lights on the candles, you know the automatic little lights you light, and took the photos and she's got me holding the cake with ninety four on us right now.
Speaker 2: And are you in a village or you on your own? Are you a home?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 5: No, no, I'm in my parents' family home.
Speaker 2: Great, well, the office of your parents aren't still there?
Speaker 5: No, they'd be into the hundred.
Speaker 2: Now, Oh, you do it anyway, and you move around all right?
Speaker 5: I beg your pardon.
Speaker 2: Do you do you move around all right?
Speaker 5: Well, no, I've got something wrong with the legs, and they told me it's age related. So I'm eating well and quite happy with my friends and bringing all my friends and jip and you know, keep the language going. Lived there for a long time.
Speaker 2: What were you doing in Japan?
Speaker 5: Beg your pardon, dear.
Speaker 2: What were you doing in Japan?
Speaker 5: I was on a cultural visa, yeares, But I wasn't allowed to work, you see, So my father shouted me over there, and I did the language at the university. So that gave me the book grammar to go on. But I speak a lot now of what do you say? It's not not book grammar colloquial, but anyway, I have a lot of fun with it, and I wring them every week. I've got quite a lot of friends, and they've been over in the past, and they came, you know, every time I needed them for my father's funeral and my mother's funeral, and also when my husband died at forty nine, they came again. And then they said after that, we're coming next year for you, And I said, oh no, no, I won't know you're here. They said, no, we're coming when you're alive. So I've been going back when I could Now I coun't now, but been going back many about five times after living there, and they've been coming here. So every time they came here, then they said, well now it's your turn, you see, So I had to keep going. But the only thing is now I've trouble with the walking. But as they said, it's age related. But I've still got a good appetite. So I thought that's the main thing, isn't it. You can eat?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 2: How old did you live, Patricia? How long did you live in Japan?
Speaker 19: For? Oh?
Speaker 5: Over a couple of years there? Oh great, yes, been everywhere all over the place except the north part of Japan, okay, But the people were marvelous, really great.
Speaker 2: Oh lovely to hear from you, Patrician. Happy birthday to you. Back on the text, Marcus, I have it unlucky Fred. He spent twenty dollars a week on lotter, but it started to save the money and spend a thousand and one go on each year. Instead he got a thousand worth of tickets and won nothing but bonus tickets for a while. In the end, he didn't get a single cash prize for his one thousand dollars. Marcus the guy repeats himself nine times over the Loto cap by but by the way, nobody accusing lotto shocks to buy tickets anymore. It's all brought on the my Lotto, h lucky shops. It's all on the my Lotto site. Done in less than a minute. Also no caps. Did it go to a billion dollars? Marcus the mushroom killer is guilty as I'm not sure at homes. But the evidence speaks for itself. It's not what you know, it's what you can prove in court. I had the privilege, I mean, seal one too good at the conclusion of nine to any one's telethought telethought. The Avalanche studios written Basil Brush were also on the bill of the will In and Extravaganza. Only one of those two hung around afterwards for the autographs. Needless to say, I didn't get to meet kiddy of it when the lights went off. Did have a met ivan owen boom boom, so many cues and say, oh, it's so much money, Lowell, And they are buying a ticket as a form of syner And I've heard it all, including that it should be divided to give more win as a cut. Go big or go home exactly. You want a big prize, No one wants it to spread it out for people. People want an indecent amount of money. One hundred percent thinks she's guilty. She's sold sony lies along the way. She's done multiple factory resets on the phone, and there's also a missing phone or two. She threw the d hydrond and nine of the foraging mushrooms and changed her mind, different colored plates, lies about councer phony Asian grocery store, a unanimous decision, worries me. I'm worried about the one dura who's on the fence. Then there's a polkinghorn mentioned, but that is what it is. You might have something else to say on this because it cold, it feels like it might be international news. Mainly, it's just about the heat and it'll catch fire soon europeucking just to mention that on Andrew O'Keefe from Deal and o'deal he's got to hand back his order of Australia because he got on the old glass barbecue. He's gone burger, he's been to rehab. They should let him have it. Good evening, Jonathan, It's Marcus welcome, good evening telethon.
Speaker 24: In the eighties, I worked at Tillivers and New Zealand based at Evalon and if you will recall and your listeners will recall, they had four people on the panel at the time. The big stars were kept at the prime time and then some of the minor personnelities from TV were on at other times. At one point They're One of the guest panelists was Keith Quinn and another guest panelists would teeth was a local Wellington actress called Donna Akisteine. Now Donna was well known to Wellington theatergoers downstage theater that sort of thing, but she really had never been on television before and she was obviously lapping it up and enjoying every moment of being on television, and you could see that Keith was just maybe getting a little bit irritated. Anyway, they had a challenge and some but he bought on a barbecue set and they had to cook tripe and onions and they challenged one of the panelists to come down and try the tripe and onions when it was cooled. So who decided to come down from the panel, Donna akistine. So she went down there, loving being in the camera, obviously irritating Keith a little bit. And when she tried it, you could see her face not really enjoying it. But they asked her what she thought of it, and she said, in a lovely French accent, or pretend French accent, Oh, yes, it does have a certain genes Sea choir. And by this time Keith was fed up and he said, been to Spain, have you?
Speaker 3: Donna?
Speaker 2: Ah, very good. Don't know if Keith Quinn comes out that when in that story, does he? Jonathan, No, Keith.
Speaker 24: Keith, he did. He did come out, actually, but he was just you could tell him. Donna was just, you know, trying to hold the limelight a bit too much. And Keith doesn't suffer fool slader. You would know him as I do, and he was just getting a little bit fed up with your hold getting the camera.
Speaker 2: Nice story, Jonathan, Thank you, good evening. Michael, Hi, Hi, Michael.
Speaker 16: Yeah, I wanted to talk to you about the mushroom trial. Yes, I suspect, strongly suspect that she's guilty, but I don't think they're going to reach the level of excluding reasonable doubt.
Speaker 2: How could there be reasonable doubt?
Speaker 16: Well, I think that there's she obviously lied about a whole lot of things. But then I mean, like the fact that she lied about the cancer, it's not really adding to the likelihood of guilt because I mean, she's actually set herself up to be suspected, where she could have just said, we'll come together to talk about her stomach stapling. You know, that's not actually I think you.
Speaker 2: Had tried to get them and they wouldn't come, so she had to come up with a good thing to talk about, who was going to look after the kids when she died or something?
Speaker 16: I think, Okay, the other thing about I mean a lot of the things that a lot of the things she did to cover up her traces, taking the dehydrated to the terp, the clearing the phones. You know a lot of those things look really bad, but they could also be explained by her just knowing that she's under suspicion and panicking and doing stupid things.
Speaker 2: So she hasn't killed them, then who has killed them?
Speaker 16: Well, she has definitely killed them. She's not even disputing that she's killed them. She's just claiming that she did it by accident, So that the first thing, Yeah, the.
Speaker 2: First question was but she can't she can't kill them? Makes sing because because she got you can't get those mushrooms at an Asian food store.
Speaker 16: No, No, she admitted foraging for them. She admitted foraging for mushrooms.
Speaker 2: And I thought she made out she'd brought them for an Asian food store.
Speaker 16: At one stage she talked about that, but then she admitted that she had done foraging for mushrooms. She accepted that that's how she must have. They must have been in the beast Wellington.
Speaker 2: And the individual portions a different colored plate.
Speaker 16: That's yeah, the individual portions, I mean that's not particularly damning, but the color the other plate thing is certainly raised the suspicions, but I don't think it's beyond reasonable doubt. And the other thing that she did, which was the strongest thing really for you know, for the likelihood of guilt, was that she didn't get sick or seriously sick and that but she explained that by being beliemate, that she vomited it up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the the toxicology show that she had not had any mushrooms.
Speaker 16: That she had no mushrooms at all death caps? Okay, but that could that have been explained by vomiting quickly.
Speaker 2: Well imagined you'd absorbed it because it was a while lad that she vomited, wasn't it.
Speaker 6: I don't know. I don't know about that.
Speaker 2: I mean there's a lot, there's a lot for the jury to get their head around. I mean, it's complicated, isn't it.
Speaker 16: It is complicated. And it's also like, if she's found not guilty, it's almost a green light for anybody to use death cap mushroom.
Speaker 2: And it would be a total outcry out the Aussies alike. I mean, there would be a total outcry.
Speaker 16: Yeah, it will be real, be a real concern. But I can still but they can't. You can't find somebody guilty because it's going to be you know, because it's going to set it dangerous.
Speaker 14: You know.
Speaker 16: You can only find on whether you've excluded reasonable doubt. And I really don't think you're going to get a unanimous guilty jury on excluding reasonable doubt. I think it will be either not guilty or it'll be a hung jury.
Speaker 2: But you certainly think she's guilty, right I do?
Speaker 9: I do?
Speaker 16: I think, I mean, I think that there's a high likelihood, But yeah, I just don't think they're going to I don't think they're going to get there.
Speaker 2: I mean, the juris, like you and me, are probably the same. They think, well, you know what cheap is creepers, She's as guilty as anything.
Speaker 16: Yeah, And if I was on the jury, i'd be I'd be thinking that I think she's done it. But I don't think I could have concluded reasonable doubt.
Speaker 2: It's not reasonable doubt you have coming up with an extraordinary doubt. Isn't it that that that that there's there could be a unique taught sort of situation that means it was an accident.
Speaker 16: I think that that I'm not sure if the one thing that they could really find, you know, really strong evidence, and I'm not sure if they if they got there, I was following it, but not closely enough to discover whether they proved that she had actually gone to those locations and foraging those exact locations that were on that that were targeted, you know, that were I don't think.
Speaker 2: I don't think they could get the details for that year.
Speaker 16: That would I think that's what they needed to get to really prove that she had intentionally foraged for deathcats.
Speaker 2: Nice to talk, Michael. I guess we'll find a result tomorrow. That's what I'm expecting. That's it for me. People, Romance along next and enjoy your July white rabbits and all that. I will catch you again tomorrow.
Speaker 1: For more from Marcus Slash Nights, listen live to news talks there'd be from eight pm weekdays, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio