Speaker 1: Half of Key. We would rather talk politics than money, which surprised me too.
Speaker 2: Many of us we're embarrassed, we feel shame, but many of us are making the same sorts of mistate.
Speaker 1: Do you think tall poppy syndromes and economic.
Speaker 2: Cost Oh, for sure, that's what wealth is about.
Speaker 1: Having options. I'm lighton Roberts from Cheesy's and today on She at Large. I'm joined by Luke Kemmy's from Kick the Change.
Speaker 2: You can still hear ringing in my ears people saying, Oh, you're a try hard and I kind of think as I've gotten older, yeah, I still need to try pretty hard, but nothing really good comes of not trying very hard.
Speaker 1: We talk about money, shame, tool poppy syndrome, and why being more open about our finances might actually make us all better off.
Speaker 3: Investing involves the risk you might lose the money you start with. We recommend talking to a licensed financial advisor. We also recommend breading product disclosure documents before deciding to invest. Everything you're about to see and here is current at the time of recording.
Speaker 1: Great to have you here again, Luke.
Speaker 2: Always good to be here.
Speaker 1: Last time we caught up, we were at the FIFA World Cup, which pretty epic experience and learn event. Yeah, it was lots of key over there as well. I was sort of surprised at how many actually but run into each other. And to do that, you've got to get some good savings and play for So how long had you been thinking about that? How far ahead are you thinking these sort of events?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was a good couple of years of being very deliberate about going to that, and to be honest, like doing it and doing it really well. And I guess getting to a position in life where we could do it and enjoy a lot of it rather than some of the travel I've done previously, which might be skimping. And there were many people that did it with a different budget, which is good to see. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like that planning out. It's amazing how much more enjoyable it can be if you like, if you have actually thought about that budget and stuff in front and have a good time. Anyway, I digress completely from what we're going to talk about, which is really just thinking about money and it's part in particular in New Zealander's lives and the mentality around it and what you see in your already and the people who speak to you regularly, and the companies you advise how they approach it, if that's changing at all, and then also how that might ultimately flow into the economy more broadly. So one of the things I've seen you described before is that you're interested in money and then you don't think it's a bad thing. So I'd just love to explore that a bit with you. Well.
Speaker 2: I think it's fascinating that we've normalized, or gone on the journey of normalizing talking about mental health and physical health. And it's pretty acceptable now to do BFT with your top off and go to your CrossFit and then post about that, or we now even have an app where you can then like someone going for a run. But if you then go online and talk about money or what your key WE saver balances or how much you are earning your shares, that might be doing well. I think it's still really uncomfortable for people, and I wonder if financial literacy and money is the next wave of US KEY. We people getting a bit more uncomfortable talking about these things. But for some reason, I still think that there is a pretty big barrier to doing that.
Speaker 1: A nice budgeting with your top off that could be the next quess you I would not be entering there. I'd probably need a few trips to BFT before I was up for that. But I think it's like a super interesting conversation, and like, how much do you think of it as driven by an economy right now? Where it's not easy you talk about some of these other trends, the health and the well being. And Brooke actually often she talks about shares his purpose which is to create wealth and get more people being wealthy, and it's not the purpose. The purpose is not just to have money. The purpose is that health is the ultimate wealth and wealth can play into that in a big way. So have you got a feel for just how much like now it could be a good time to change that psyche just because of how hard it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I sort of come up with this idea of maybe we need a national Key we Save a day on the thirtieth of June we actually talk more about Key We Saver and maybe what we've got in our balances so that people have a reason to potentially talk about money in a way that they haven't been doing before. And I wonder if that's something that we could get to take off. Obviously we have sorted money month, which is great, but I do think people are slowly being more open to talking about it. However, probably in pockets. So often I'll have people tell me about something successful that they've achieved with money, and then they'll say, oh, just wanted to share that with you, because I don't really have anyone else that I can tell. And I think when times are tough, and also being Kiwis, we're quite humble and we probably don't want to be mistaken for bragging or rubbing it in someone's face when we know other people may be struggling. And someone once said to me that because New Zealand is very small, you know, we do feel inequality and things like that because we see it and we think, ah, okay, that's happening just down the road, whereas maybe in bigger places they may look at it and go, okay, that's just part of what's happening. So I do think we do have a little bit of this. You know, don't talk too much about how well you may be doing, because you don't know how hard it is for somebody else. And I think people when they do talk about their successes, they're not trying to brag about it or you know, rub it in people's faces. I think the majority of people, they're just saying, hey, I've achieved this thing and I want to share it with you, and that should be okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean it's a great quality of New Zealand as well, isn't it that we do respect that? Just talking about that trip to the States, you know, I think it's a very different mentality over there, and you can see it. So I was there for a work event. We were at Stanford University, and there was just so many people doing such great things, like actually on a global scale, and so few of them were names that we would know here in New Zealand. And like so, I've been thinking a lot about the word ambition lately, and I was speaking at a conference, the Young Elected Members Conference, and one of the things we were talking about there was how New Zealanders are actually really ambitious people. Like you know, we're super competitive. We in sport, we tend to outshine and a lot of things we do to a greater things business. We're nine number eight wire mentality and all this sort of thing. But there's something that means that it's not always coming to the fore, and there is something that happens right at start and classrooms even where maybe it's not best to be the most academic in the and so there's like a really interesting line to draw there, which you know, I sort of think flows a little bit into money as well. And some of the studies, like I found that like half of key we would rather talk politics than money, which surprised me. But where do you think that comes from? Like is it shallow? Is it showy like if to talk about money, or do you think it's like more embarrassment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the I noticed an obsession at the moment with politics. I feel like that has grown. I wonder if that is just the wave of content that's been put in front of people and so then they're getting absorbed in that. But I do think sometimes if we replace some of those negative stories with some positive ones around people doing well, why do they not perform as well? And I do notice even when I study content and see what's working that that sometimes those stories don't perform as well as I think that they may, or even if they do perform well, a number of the comments will be, yeah, but this person had that, or yeah, I would prefer if the interviewer focused on the upbringing or yeah, what did their parents teach them all? So and so I think we get lost down these ruts and reasons of why we can't do something, and going back to, you know, the earlier years, I do think I think it might have died off a bit now, but you know, I can still hear ringing in my ears people saying, oh, you're a try hard and then you know, not just to me, but that was sort of a thing, and I kind of think as I've gotten older, yeah, I still need to try pretty hard to get things to happen, but nothing really good comes of not trying very hard. But I think we have a bit of that too. We want to tell someone that they are trying a little bit too hard, and then just with all of that, it just compounds on us to perhaps aim for less. And I'm noticed the same thing in the States. I actually bumped into some very successful Kiwi people that I'd never heard of before, was blowing away what they were doing very ironically, had already transacted with one of their businesses and gone seriously, like you, okay, I saw that on my bank statement. So I'm really intrigued and then I might have had a couple of Espresso Martinez at one of the games. Mate, let's make a quick Instagram snip of you know three things that you would love ki people to know. No, no, no no no wah war no, I'm not.
Speaker 1: What do you mean?
Speaker 2: Why are you doing that on Instagram? Leave me away from that. I kind of thought, oh, to me, there's some success there. They've got some runs on the board. This is fascinating, but there's still that hesitation. I've been seen to be doing too well. And maybe it's just because we do love to bring people down when they do go a bit far, or have our opinions of how people should be making money what they should be doing along that due and maybe people have been beaten up a little bit by that, so then they get a bit shy, you know, continuing to demonstrate or talk about how they have had success.
Speaker 1: It has flown into investing markets and stuff as well. New Zealanders love cash. Like if you look at the amount of cash that sits around on balance sheets and stuff around New Zealand, and that's by no means a bad thing to have enough there to cover the tough times and stuff. But it's not productive and it's not growing the economy and stuff. But I think for people that I speak to one it can be addictive, which is you know, again, I guess quite a good thing with regards to behavior. You get a little bit and then you start to see the compounding impacts come through. It's very visible, it's re tangible. If you wanted to, you could go spend it. But I think one of the things that I've been thinking about in this economy is like there's that much cash around. There are some businesses that are starved for some custom right now, and it does worry me a little bit how many people are not spinning for the reasons you touched on right at the start, which is purely they don't want to be seen to be sort of showing off, and they may feel like others can't keep up. But actually the economy thrives by spinning, right. You need people out there doing that, Like it can become this momentum thing gets to get a bit of a roll on. And one of the things I saw in a post you made recently, which was which I just became for you to share now, was some of the early thinking you had around the survived to twenty five and you were unique and that you sort of identified that as maybe a problem statement back then. So what was it about then and what is it now that makes you think you're probably right?
Speaker 2: Well, I'd read about survived to twenty five coming out of America and commercial real estate, and then all of a sudden I heard our media talking about it, and then I noticed clients started saying it. I'm like, no, no, no, no, no, like this is not good because people were looking at it as if it was some sort of mantra or way to live. And we were saying to clients, you've got to be really careful adopting that as your way to operate this business. If you're just going to wait till twenty twenty five, no one's going to ring you on the first of January and say, hey, you know you survived, let's go. And I think we've seen people caught out by the fact that they thought it may just get better. And maybe I've been beaten up a little bit too much in life to learn that it's not really how the world works. You know, things don't just get better on a date. You've got to go out there and try and make them better. Yes, of course there are external factors as well, but I could just see people were buying into a reason to then maybe not take action, or let's delay this decision or action taking until we get to twenty twenty five. And realistically, all that it was was that the media and other people were talking about the fact that it was kind of catchy, you know, and I even saw some economists like theming their keynotes about that. I'm going, you know, this just doesn't seem like a way for us to run our lives. That's going to see growing on the other side. And interestingly, when I posted about it on LinkedIn, you know two years ago, ninety percent of people were like great posts. Yep, completely get it. And actually there were a few people that come into being like, mate, you're so far out of touch. Oh look at his profiles. You know, he just does well off of others people's success. He's never done anything himself. And then I'm looking, I'm like, some of these people were, you know, had an order of merit, for instance, And so I'm thinking, not everyone's going to agree with those things, but I do think we've got to be really careful about what we're putting into our minds, because our inputs can often become our outputs. So if you want to set yourself up for success, you've got to start to weed through some of the things that are coming at you and decide how you're going to play on the front foot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you put that nicely because it's not just about it's not necessarily about spending or necessarily money related with that mindset, is it. It's like this survive to twenty five was very much like a financial mantra. But the risk is then it becomes one of action as well, and the sort of you can take action without spending like that as possible, and you can make changes and you can do the analysis you need to to work out where the right investment is, whether that's time or money.
Speaker 2: And I guess the counter kind of what you were saying is I was going out to the world at the time saying there's so much money out there and backing it up with data, and people were going hah, like we're being told survives at twenty five or there's not, and the economy is contracting, and you're saying there's heaps of money out there, So great for content because people are then saying you're an idiot, you don't understand. But from twenty nineteen to twenty twenty five, or maybe twenty twenty six, there's been growth of one hundred and thirty billion dollars of amounts of money sitting in the turn deposits. Now that's more than the wealth of our entire rich list, which we get angry about. And hey, maybe rightly or wrongly, but I was educating people or encouraging them. Hey, you know, people are still transacting. A market transacts when value exceeds price. So if you've got something good that somebody wants, then don't feel like you can't do that, and you've got to wait till back end of twenty five as we're buying into all of these guesses from people. When market principles are always there. If someone wants something and you can provide it for them and they value it and they're willing to have that in their life, then they will transact with you. And we've seen actually a lot of businesses still performing really well by continually putting themselves in front of people who do want a problem solved or do want value edited their life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a cool thought as a country and just how that mentality aspect can flow through. There is something cultural. You know, there's geographic challenges, size challenges, no doubt, but there is I think there is a culture challenge in this stuff because we do we do tend to lag recovery of other markets, and part of that is our appetite to get going a bit sooner.
Speaker 2: Or do we look back at nineteen eighty seven?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well they you know, as they say most because I read people are still scared off from investing, right, But yeah, there is a generation change and that's real. So there's been some other surveys. I found that one in three This really surprised me by the way way that one in three New Zealanders aren't even sharing their finances with their families or their partners. What kind of toll do you think that that's this like level of secrecy, like, what's what sort of told do you think that takes?
Speaker 2: Well, it's massive. And I'll tell you a story that I think sums us up quite well where I had a young lad reach out to me and this is from a business side, and he was telling me about some of the things that he was facing in his business and I'm sitting there as the accountant being very transactional. Okay, you know, we've bitten off a bit more than we can choose. Some things haven't gone so well. And I said, mate, this is going to be a grind out of this. And I said, you know, please tell me you've shared this with your wife? Nah?
Speaker 1: Nah?
Speaker 2: Really? Why not? Mate? Well, I just I just don't want her to have to worry about it. Might well, mate, I'm now worried about you because it's all you're going to worry about. And he eventually broke down and wasn't. And I think you can start to see this weight that people carry. And I mean I was brought up. We are sharing something, you know, it's a problem shared as a problem. Half that things are probably a little bit more normal.
Speaker 1: But I know not.
Speaker 2: Everybody's had that upbringing. But the amount of times that I speak to a business owner and they are going through something and they are incredibly lonely about it or want to offload and just talk about it, and I think that's no different to what someone may be facing in their personal life. You know, I've got myself into credit card dept before, for instance, and I can still remember the relief of talking to my brother about it, where he's like, Okay, well you need to start paying it back. So okay, a great plan, but at least I've kind of got it off my chest to a degree. And I think too many of us we're embarrassed, we feel shame, but many of us are making the same sorts of mistakes. And actually, what I've learned is that people actually want to see people improve or better their situation, or there are more solutions available to people than what they realize. But it comes back to Okay, we've learned that with physical health, we've learned that with mental health to start putting our hand up. But with financial health, I think we've still got a little bit to go. And so you know, I know some people will message me and they've accessed financial education through the EAP systems and things, and I think, again, go back to the top, like maybe that's our next wave of encouraging more people to say, hey, I have got into this financial situation. Let's not look at it as embarrassed, mentioned and emotional. It's just transactional and what does it tell us, Okay, what are my next steps from here?
Speaker 1: One of the things I see a lot is people looking for like the immediate outcome or the immediate resolution, and most problems don't come from a like it le doesn't just happen, you know, it normally took some time to dig yourself a whole. So it's a fair expectation. I think that you're going to take some time to dig yourself out of it. And I love this idea of sharing more on that because it's something I think businesses do pretty well. Like a couple of examples for shares is, So we came up through startup. You know, we started the business without any money, sort of grow that over time you raise capital. We got a bit in our world they call it getting a bit of hidierr skis, which is that your sort of spend gets a bit ahead of the size of the business and its revenues, and particularly if things start to go poorly. So for us, that was when inflation started to come in, interest rates started to go up, and interestingly, like those are very lonely times as business people, but as soon as you're brave enough to speak to anyone about it, you find just how many people have been through that, And like, like you, I've had some personal finance decisions that were not ideal, and probably you know, in hindsight, should have chosen to have those conversations because I know other people have had that experience, and you can always think that they haven't, and it's always better to learn from someone else's mistakes or the tips and tricks of getting out of it. But yeah, and then I think right through to really big business, begging will literally hire directors and executives who have really good war stories, you know, really good stories about how things were tough and where things wrong, because to have experience that means you have interesting ways of getting out it out of it. The final thing I was thinking while you're talking there is we often get asked what it's like having co CEOs itches because actually Brooks on your and I share that role and if there's like there's lots of reasons they say that would be challenging, of which you know, I sort of don't necessarily agree with. That might be more personality based. But why it's really good is that there's always someone else to share that problem with, and just by having that conversation with one person, you're way more confident to bring it to the third or the fourth or wherever you have to go in that advisory circle, you know. On that.
Speaker 2: I think as well with relationships, maybe we need to make the unseen scenes. So if we are doing things around money, it might be investing regularly, let's tell our partner about that. Maybe let's budget physically in person. What are you doing, Oh, I'm doing my budget for the month. What are you doing? Oh, I'm doing my net worth calculation, figuring out what my asset values are. Hey, what are you up to over the eyem just checking my key we save balance. I think all of these micro things then start to allow us to have introductions to some of these conversations where it gets really hard as someone's really on the path and the other person isn't. This is my opinion, but I would suggest that often that is because one person may have something going on that they don't want to talk about. So then it does start to become, you know, quite uncomfortable, because then we do feel that we're in a mismatch in a relationship financially. But that's not to say that we can't then get on the same page and work that out. And business owners who into partnerships and different shareholdings have to do those things as well, So I think it becomes a bit more normalized to have those conbos. But I think you know what you often see as well, that people have conversations around their key we saver. They'll have them in front of their children, you know, and then the kids are interested, oh what's this about? And they of them. And so when you start to study wealthier families or people that are trying to teach their children about money, they are just introducing very simple ways to do that. And it's not as sort of flashy or as amazing as we may think that it is, but we just need something to start the conversation.
Speaker 1: You sound like a like a behavior as coach in someway. Do you feel like that in business advisory physical pts they work on behaviors with you, same with wellness coaches and things like that, Like, is that what you consider part of.
Speaker 2: Your job to be well to become better at accounting? What I learned that I didn't learn at UNI is that, ye, it's all good and well to say to someone, hey, you need to bring your day to days down and okay, how do we do that? Or we bring up the person who hasn't paid us the invoice? Cool accounting advice? Why aren't they doing it? And I had to start to learn, Sorry, mat, why are you not ringing Barry who owes you ten thousand dollars? And we're sitting here talking about how we've got a cash for a problem, Like, No, what's the actual problem? Oh, I'm really scared of confrontation? Ah okay, how else is that playing out in the business? And so I've gotten better at maybe I can point you to somebody else who may be able to help you on that side. But if you can't sort out the behavioral piece of it, then business is going to get harder. So I had to drop my ego a little bit in my space if not needing to have all the answers, but realize it can be very easy and transactional to spot the issues going on in a business. But unless the business owner can step into a different version of themselves, those business owners can still face those same problems. And a lot of it does come back to behavior.
Speaker 1: Do you tell people what you are? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I try to talk about it online. But what I have learned through doing this, and also there's probably a good PCA two I noticed that content would perform really well if I started with as a millionaire in New Zealand, and my content team are like, oh, let's include anything that we do. Here's what a millionaire think. So I'm like, oh, it's great for engagement. And then I start getting feedback. Man, you're always talking about how you're a millionaire. Oh, man like it's a but just in your face. I'm like, oh, shesh. We're just trying to get some engagement. But you know, you can see that people don't necessarily like it, but people do want to hear from somebody who may have gone on a journey or a stacked a level of money. And what I noticed too is that if you ever post outlier content of someone performing really well, so it might be a large shares his balance, it might be a large key we save a balance, it might be my income statement earning a lot of money. Everybody's obsessed with that, you know, and deep down we do want to know who are they, what do they do? How long has it taken them? And you know, we still are, I think, obsessed to a degree with how other people are performing. But I do to a degree still see myself sort of self censoring even when building a community, because I think I don't want people to think, oh, well that's how much he earns or what he has. Therefore he doesn't understand, you know, where I may be at. So, you know, even I am conscious of it and will deliberately sometimes dial my content back and remind people well because when I was in credit card debt, for instance, to then take them back to almost the start of my own financial journey.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Nice. There are a lot of New Zealanders. You know. One thing we have a shares is is a lot of data right on what people are doing. And there are a lot of New Zealanders at all stages of the wealth journey. But I am constantly surprised by the number of million dollar plus portfolios, Like there are a lot of people out there who have that, and so it's almost counter to what we would tell ourselves as a country. Sometimes I read the news and I'm like, I'm not sure that really reflects the data that I see, which makes me feel really good actually, like, you know, the more people getting into that. So in your accounting and consulting practice, would you say that there's more people that are coming to you as a starting point because they're in a tight spot or more because they're looking for that level up opportunity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's getting a bit trickier to figure out because I think our journey has been going longer, so our brand's got and stronger, our results have improved, our Google reviews are there, so it's getting we're attracting kind of some of the type of client. There's two types. Like you say, it'll be I'm stuck with what I need to do next, but I know that there's something more here and will help them unlock that, and then that's probably more like sixty seventy percent. And then the other percentage will be I think I've got myself into some trouble here. I can kind of see that, how do I fix this? I try and point those people in the right direction that you know, you go a couple of small tweaks here and things can really be improved.
Speaker 1: Some studies have shown that seventy five percent of business owners in New Zealand believe that tool Poppy exists. Do you think we're too hesn't? I mean you've already said that we're too. He hasn't to talk about success and money in business, But how much of it is that just because it's fear of being seen as both full and do your clients that you see like on average, would you say that they're afraid or the hesident to share their successes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as i've sort of unpacked tool poppy a little bit more, and especially with clients, there is a deep inter fear for a lot of my clients and business. But I think individually as key with people as well to put ourselves out there and that that's actually the thing. And so then we might call it tool poppy, but we are so scared of what someone might think of our video, think of our content, think of our thoughts, and so I think we hold ourselves back there. But part of what I've tried to roll on a little bit of this a lot my juniy of hitting some milestones and then talking about it and doing podcasts on other things is Okay, there's always a percentage of people that are going to take it really positively and they're going to then go, Okay, well, if they can do it, then you know, maybe I can too. And I think maybe we're just early in that journey of doing that. So whether it's getting to one hundred thousand ye, key, we save it, for instance, or having well over the average. You know, often people will tell me I've got a lot more than the average, and key, we save it. And they really stoked about that, you know, so they want to see these sorts of things and then other people asking how, you know, how has that happened? And I think that's the bit we've got to hone in on for some of those people that are maybe a bit more willing to share about the things that they are achieving. It's not about you sharing it to then get a few claps on the back maybe think about it or pats on the back, so in claps, but it's more think about who might be inspired by that and go ah, there's another ki Wei person doing that, but maybe I can too, And I think then we can actually get a bit more growth into the economy as well, and people talking about these things and actually think. You know, if you think about the podcast landscape, it's still relatively new in New Zealand, but it is now quite common to go and find a podcast of someone telling a story of them achieving something that not that long ago it would have been well I can't find any content on that, But now you can, you know, and also you know you can you can ring a business owner in the South Island if you're in the North Island for instance, and go, you've been in this game for twenty years longer than I. I don't to drop my ego. I want to know what system do you use? What software do you use? Have you tried this one? And you start to find that people are actually really collaborative, but a lot of that happens offline and not showy in in your face. And I think if more people get a bit bolder and a bit braver about telling their story of the things that they are doing and doing well, including getting a pay rise for instance, then we can learn from them. And then you know, the old rising tide lifts all boats.
Speaker 1: Yep. Yeah. I always find that, like this feedback always tends to live in the exceptions, you know, the outliers. Coming back to my point earlier that I think Kiwis are really ambitious people like just by and large, when you get to interact with one on one or in small groups of people, like, people are really enthusiastic to know and like and have their own goals. And I love that. I just concerns me how much time we spend worrying about the fact that we might be tool poppied and stuff like that when we could get going. But do you I mean, do you think tool poppy syndromes and economic cost Oh?
Speaker 2: For sure, I mean just on that too. I had a client who messaged me yesterday and they started doing some more social content and they're just talking. Let's say it's in the trade space, right, and they're like, mate, I've got two hundred thousand views. But I got like all these people telling me I'm an idiot, and then I'm doing it wrong and this.
Speaker 1: Is good, It's time to do that.
Speaker 2: And he's like, oh shesh. Then the personal attacks are coming, and I'm like, mate, it hurts. It won't stop hurting, but it also hurts not getting close to your goals. So pick which one. It's like, pep talk done, thanks mate, I'll keep posting. I'm like, good man, I go pull up our Facebook. I talk about the changes that are potentially coming in as part of the election to small business. Have a shave. I can't, you know, I can't take anyone seriously that's got their jersey draped over their shoulders or something. And I'm just like, what's that got to do with any of this? But you won't escape it. And I think if you let those people be the reason that, you know, don't try and help other people or aim for more, then you know, are we really playing big enough? You know, our goals should be probably so much bigger that we're gonna cop a little bit of flack along the way as well. And if you do want to play at that scale, all get closer to your goals then Yet, like, some people aren't going to like the fact that you were doing that, and you will hear it. And it's not like they can't name an all blacks team anymore without the first comment being oh, hey, you shouldn't be in there, you know, So how do they deal with that? But if we could unlock even just a tiny bit more of that, where people are willing to put themselves out there, then I do think it would unlock some potential in Kiwi people. And actually, one thing I'm noticing is that some of the younger people coming through, especially in entrepreneurship and business, they are out there, you know, creating content, finding that too. Yeah, And I'm thinking, wow, man, they're gonna they're gonna kick a bit of ass.
Speaker 1: Yet that's what I mean. This generational change stuff is real. You know, you see that it's super cool. So I'm proud that Cheesy's has helped bring investing to the mainstream. And you we were lifting the financial literacy of over one hundred thousand ki We There's so much more good work happening to bring this conversation to light. If we succeed in removing the stigma around money discussions, where could New Zealand be in ten years time.
Speaker 2: Well, it's going to be hard to quantify, but I think we're going to have a lot wealthier country where people have more options. They have learned more about investing. They might then choose different routes to what perhaps their parents have talked about or encouraged. And it's going to be more normalized to talk about money and to see someone using their shares his debit card for instance, and go, okay, I recognize that all of these little things that I think we wish we're further down the path. In time, we're going to look back and go, wow, look how much all of this snowballed. And that I think, just like investing, is the importance of continuing to educate people so that they can choose their path, you know, and go down that whatever it is, whether it's building out a business, starting as hustle, whether it is becoming really really good at their career or receiving shares in the business that they're working for because they learn about doing that and then they stay there for longer and compound their wealth that way, whether it's sticking it out during a tough economic period with their key we saver. The better the education is, I think at the foundation of all of this, then we've got a really really exciting timing is yelling, especially with such a massive wealth transfer coming over the next two decades. Where does that money end up? And what choices do those people make? And that's what wealth is about, having options.
Speaker 1: How good's that? And what an attractive place to do it in New Zealand?
Speaker 2: Exactly where else do you want to do it?
Speaker 1: Get on the train. Thanks Lou, and that's it for this episode of Shared Lunch. Thanks for joining us. If you enjoyed the conversation, make sure you subscribe or follow Shared Lunch on YouTube or wherever you keep your podcasts.