Speaker 1: You're listening to the Marcus Lush Night's podcast from News Talks.
Speaker 2: I'd be.
Speaker 3: Greetings, welcome, and good even my name is Marcus, and nice to be here. Actually, it's been a bit of a break too, so it's a breakfall sort of thing. So all sorts of reasons and all kind of combined to make it a much longer break than I thought it would be. So this has been a disruptive couple of weeks. So hopefully I am back and back for good for a while now. So I haven't liked the and it's involved a sleepit of illness, and then there's an awards night, and of course last night I took the night off because the elder boy was in show Quest. Now I've never been to a show quest before, but I was gonna leave it half time. Yeah, I quite enjoyed it. I don't know what that well, how would you describe that? They sort of perform in front of projections and yeah, I hate to say it. I might be that stage of my life where I look back at some of those things. I think, gee, may maybe the kids are with us too, because there was some sort of takes you back to what the people at school are kind of what's well. I don't know how much it's guided, but what they are passionate about. But there was some fairly powerful stuff, some well thought out, powerful, well put together performances. AH sort of thing I probably in the past would have been rather cynical about. But it was very good, So as going to take the younger boy home earlier but waited for admission watching the whole thing about hapasitien. So there we go. If that's the future, the future is very very good, indeed quite progressive thought and quite deep thought to there we go show quest very good. I don't know who funds the whole thing. It seems to take along quite well z information of course, well and lot of parents, lot of grandparents in the audience, but they're quite the night out. I think there were nine ten minutes performances from tennut different schools, although my major concern was the actual because there were schools from Mount A Sparring College and Tappanui and Dunston School well, of course Dunstan School from Alexander. They did a they did a dance performance about the grief of the gold mine has lost during the eighteen sixty flood. Of course they did. Yeah, well that was good, really good, dressed up, old fashioned and good all that, and mine is losing their claim and losing their family. Very moving, all very good. Blue Mountain College from Tappanui, Otargo. A lot of stuff about consumerism, a lot of stuff about cell phone addiction, a lot of stuff about female leadership. Very powerful anyway, So well done to all those people were in gold. He's my major concern when I walked out of there half past ten was how freezing it was. A lot of those porkids were there, beginning on the buses and driving for hours through frost and terrible conditions to get home. So I presume everyone got home safe. I didn't see the thing of the papers this morning. That was my major consumed because the weather down here has been extremely cold. It's been freezing those freezing days and or freezing nights and sunny days. But on Rockier Stuart Island there is a lot of snow, in fact, more than I've seen for a long time, so that's really got covered. So that's normally a harbinger of a fairly dramatic winter. So now there is that, and that's what happened. But yes, show quest, I said to my boy, locked me in for next year. Very good indeed, anyway, that's my ray for that, So thanks for all those people were involved. By the way too, there is traffic congestion.
Speaker 4: There's much reportage of this this morning at this evening, so if you're trying to get home, mainly in Auckland, there is significant congestion on Auckland roads.
Speaker 3: Several crashes on the Southwestern and Wesley So take all turn it roads and watch this speed and drive to the condition. So it's veryvery wet in Auckland. There's thunderstorms for the White Ketto and extremely frosty in South oh by the way too. Just while we are on the frost, I think it's gonna be another very cold night. Do you think it's worth a hassle. It's been a while since we've done this show. But if it is frosty, because I'm not the sort of person thinks it's going to be frosty in the morning, I'm going to do sort mccara out and put kind of I don't know what people use these days they write. Do they put down frost cloths? What do you do to stop your windscreen icing over? I feel it changes every year with the critical advice. There's probably something you can buy from super cheap audo. But what you go to when it is freezing? Do you check something? I'm not worth the hssle. I had to get up yesterday morning and drive to the board to score. It took a long long time to the frosted poe took fifteen minutes. I couldn't be by the getting out of the car. I wasn't expecting it. You had to give the kid the safety lesson about how you actually don't just make a small hole with your hand because you won't get the peripheral vision. You'll hit some and you'll rear end someone. So it really is worth doing well. But yeah, I probably should have got it sort out the night before. I don't know if anyone's got any advice about that what you should or could do, But wouldn't buying some sure far advice about that windscreen advice for the winter nights, because I think I'm looking tonight like it's going to be fairly cold overnight also too, So yeah, if you've got something to say about that would be good to hear from you. If there's something else you want to chuck into the mix jumping. Let's hope my voice holds. He is down to two degrees overnight, so it's very free cold. I think they're down to minus one so and that's pretty much for it all week that for the next ten days, we'll call it that one. So if you do want to come through eight hundred and eighty ten eighty and nine nine two decks, I will keep you updated with the news around the world that happened today. Also too, I'm not sure what's happening, but there appears to be a fearbit going on. So I'll do all I can to get you up to date with all the news. But yeah, just about that, frost goes, newspapers on the inside, newspapers on the outside, frost cloth and oakre you know what they are. I know some say with the hot jugs, you shouldn't be using that. But maybe you can use the hot jugs now because the new windscreens don't shatter because they're laminated. Would that be right? I mean, from year to year, I really have no clue, but you will have some advice about de icing gold. Tell what the buttons on the car aren't for good?
Speaker 5: All?
Speaker 3: They take for they take forever anyway, Get in touch. My name is Marcus. Welcome. Oh eight hundred and eighty to eighty nine two nine two detext. If you've got something else you want to say, get through jumping about feel free. Oh eight hundred and eighty Toddy. By the way, I see in Totong and there is new trouble with the roundabout at tod Eco. They've put traffic dividers that are causing chaos. I'm not quite sure why they've put them there. It seems to be an afterthought. So they've put traffic dividers stopping motorists from changing lanes on the roundabout and taking some exits down from two lanes to one. So that seems to be a bit of misplanning. I don't know if there's been any crashes, but that's not good at all. So as far as as far as windscreams will also chuck in. This new roundabout also something you might want to talk about, So get in touch. You want to be a part of the show for Team Past eight. As I say, Oh eight hundred and eighty to nine two nine to two detect. If you don't want to start the ball rolling tonight, and always tricky when you've been away for a whiles. I'm not qature what other topics people have covered. Hopefully we won't double up on stuff. Although I didn't get an email from the museum saying about something I'd said, was that it wasn't me. I've been away, so email someone else anyway. Keep those texts coming through too, if you do want to text. Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty and nine to nine two de texts if you do want to come through. But anything goes yes, full broad Church tonight, as long as you get involved. I've got time to say. I'd be lovely to hear from you. But yeah, that frost stuff, I'm pretty big on this time of the year. I think it's twenty every year. I think we've done that show about five years ago, but never really solved at how to defrost efficiently. I'm never quite sure if've got the newspapers on the inside of the windscreen or the outside. But where would you get newspapers anymore? Most of us don't have them, do we. It's a good point. All those things in your newsprint for lake dry on the inside of shoes, well that's all gone and starting fires. No one's got newsprint. Can't we get much of that junk mail anymore? All the junk mail seems have gone online. I miss it, miss it terribly. Oh by the way too, And I feel I haven't really been on air. I feel it's always the beginning of the end. Was the great butter give away, the Great emergency alert sweepsteak. The winner of that was Kathleen and her guess was what Dan was at? Six sixteen six fourteen, And Dan and company have been to Costco and they've got her her ten kilograms of butter, which she's really happy about. Was it salted or unsulted? That was salted? God, so I wanted her to get salted. I'm not quite sure about unsoulted. But what's that about, Peter, Marcus Welcome? Yeah, hell's going Marcus, good, Peter, thanks, thanks for asking.
Speaker 6: Nice and we're here at awkward never mind.
Speaker 3: You know you're not delayed with where you're going, are you?
Speaker 6: It's this raining quite eapily, but the roads are right.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And one of your favorites suburbs Greenheif Oh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like Green Hives, the old golf course love.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, yeah, but when when wind screens in the UK about thirty five thirty to thirty five years ago. Weeked over there as a research chemist and when access to loads of alcohols like ethanol, methanol, ice appropriate alcohol and we used to make concoctions with water with it, so the so the freezing point will be depressed and when you've got a good frost, you know, minus six to minus ten, it will still liquid. So you know, it turned the old car on onto the frost you inside, and with the super brew and the in the under the bonnet, that got rid of the ice pretty quickly because it solubilized the ice of it.
Speaker 3: That would be on you in your water thing for your windscreen water would have alcohol in it, right, and that would that would have the effect of melting it, would it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it depresses the freezing point, so it will turn some of it into liquid as it mixed in with water.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how quick would it happen?
Speaker 6: Ah, I'll still take a few minutes, but if you didn't have it, it'll take a few minutes more just doing it the conventional way soapy water.
Speaker 3: I haven't seen the additives for your windscreen water that's for that, because I think that would be quite an easily sold product, wouldn't you.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I know, I know.
Speaker 6: Some of the formulations that go around for things that are bars bugs are yeh, system accommodation of soaps and gelating agents.
Speaker 3: You wouldn't get many. You wouldn't get many wind frown would you get many wind frings? Windscreen frost? There only Peter any Oh.
Speaker 6: Not here because I've got a garage. It was in the UK. It was in the UK when I was eight years ago.
Speaker 3: So they're paradort about frost in the UK, aren't they, Because they salt the roads and do all sorts of things and that wrecks them.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Plus most cars are outside because they're having a garage as the luxury over there.
Speaker 3: All the houses so old too, aren't they. They've got no, they're sort of built before cars.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they're an afterthought garages. But yeah, but they're nice, warm in side most of the time.
Speaker 3: Nice to talk, Peter, Thanks very much to the twenty three pass. They keep your calls coming through. Eight hundred and eighty today tis to the tricks to the frosting the windscreen or preventing it from getting frosted up. That's the main topic. For tonight or the main thrust. Minor flooding occurring ross Common Roading, Clendon Hearing, Mangley apps been hit hard. No text from National Arms Service yet from vill So Minor flooding ross Common Road, Cleandon, Mango the apps been hit hard. That means appliances or apps but anyway, Marcus. There used to be a tall coach driver throughout the country, must be tour and often wh When Queenstown was either sowing extremely cold, the winners of the bus would freeze up. I remember making the snake one afternoon. The mistake went after it of washing the bus and then packing it up with the heavy frost. It meant that I couldn't have any of the doors that had frozen shut, as the water from my washing had frozen the rubber seals. One thing we used to do to the frost the bus winners was to squirt them with warm water with a little bit of sunlight saber. We never use top water because it would shatter the mess of windows. I'd traded to do it once down in Queenstwn. It meant the bus couldn't be driven. Aha, Jason Marcus welcome.
Speaker 10: I was good evening.
Speaker 11: Marcus how are you good, Jason?
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 10: The old defrosts in business in my own town in February used to get down regular, so that mine's twelve miles fourteen. And what we used to do was we take our kind of d ice into the house with us at night, and then in the morning we'd go out and you'd have to spray around all the rubber seals so that you could actually open the door because it throws in position. And then you turn. Then you turn the engine on, leave the heater on cold, and go and have a cup of tea. And then when you finish your cup of tea you go back out. Magically, there's no frost on your car engines warm. You can flick the heater to hot. Don't risk damaging your windows so shattering them with the changing temperature. And you're in.
Speaker 3: And I presume that was summer in the UK, was a Jason.
Speaker 10: It was in the North Prayers where it's grim.
Speaker 3: I'd never heard that. I'd never heard the doors would free shut.
Speaker 10: Oh hey, I used to work in a spot where they were free ship by foster in the afternoon. There really, yeah, man, here we still it doesn't get gold in New Zealand. Dude, I'm still walking around in shots and bare feet.
Speaker 3: What was the de ice?
Speaker 12: Was that?
Speaker 3: Some form of alcohol?
Speaker 5: Was it?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 10: So you're buy it in a can. It's like a spray cout, like a Dehordrean can, and you spray it on your window and it's an alcohol based and just heats the frost. It just makes it melt.
Speaker 3: Probably would work as the other one too, wouldn't it.
Speaker 13: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Probably, Marcus, I just did not use an old blanket over the windscreen overnight. Who's got an old blanket though? Be fairy organized have an old blanket just for the windows evening. Paul Marcus welcome, Hi Sore, you're Marcus. He's Paul welcome.
Speaker 2: It's Paul. Queen's down. We're get a few frosts up here. We have a think called ice scrapers. I work for a par rental industry, so I am amusing it every morning, just in the car on, put the heater on, and then and you set the scraper. They have them at the library here obviously, our rental firms. I'm sure car firons will have them. My niece just came down from Auckland and she really loved it. I gave her two on Sunday because she and she texted me so those scrapers worked.
Speaker 3: Although you are out and although you are out in the cold scraping though, aren't you.
Speaker 2: Well it only takes her about a minute the engine on, turned the engine on. I mean, I'm actually moving cars from the washpad to the airport at seven o'clock in the morning out at Franklin Queenstown and the isis thick as now. It's just interesting to listen to that englishman said he doesn't get cold. Well, I was up Blake Techapo the other day. It does get cold here.
Speaker 12: So is he in.
Speaker 3: Orpland it hard to tell, but he sounded something.
Speaker 2: You you take him down to bluff and see what that's like, Marcus, But you wouldn't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Paul, do you get the situation where the doors will free shut with the.
Speaker 2: Rubber Oh yeah, oh yeah, but yeah they can be tight, but with the keys, you just you know, they yeah, are actually tight. But I mean I used to live in Dunedin and I used to use warm water and never had a problem. In fact, I worked I worked somewhere late at night time at a casino, but I used to park against buildings because it was but the post office because the frost willn't come down. I'd be leaving my shift about three am in the morning, and what I used to do was if you park against the tall building, you won't get frost on your car, but obviously you do up here.
Speaker 5: So this is it?
Speaker 3: Because is it because the buildings are a heat soak.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, they just soaking, man. Whereas if you pat yourself up, you know, in a more open area, obviously come down. So if you've got a few full buildings there, you need a partner. The tall buildings. There's always a way around anything. But I've used I've used water in the past ahead of crack and we we have occasionally just put the water blaster on it or for in a hurry. But so the water works, but ice scrapers, I'm sure, I'm sure, Car, I'm really tailoring.
Speaker 3: Sure all you had a couple of Have you had a couple of heavy frost the last couple of mornings? Oh?
Speaker 5: Very yeah, very heavy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's been told the last week, since last Thursday.
Speaker 3: Seems unusually heavy to me, Paul, I've got to run. But nice to hear from you, God tech coming through, calls coming through goodness me flooding and ross com and road Clanton. So we do want to keep an eye on that. There does seem to be a weather event happening, so we're across that tonight. Also feels like our crack the winter stories. It's all about the frost, because there's been some very heavy ones that seem to be quite early. It's about the car and how you enage to because I'm surprised there's not a button that you can remote just stay in the house and click it that can actually stort itself out, someone says Marcus. So I tell my wife to go out and warm up the car for me every morning. I then slipping with my mug of coffee doing that. Guy's for real, kind of a shame thing to brag about. To see if he's mentioned his wife and they of the other texts, who knows, Oh wait, one hundred eighty said he's severe weather around the country also to we're not a stranger to that here. I'll keep you across that tonight throughout the course of the evening. Get in touch. My name is Marcus. Welcome head twelve. Keep those texts coming through. There are plenty fairly simple, ain't it. Go out five minutes before you need to leave, and start the car of the heater on and leave it running and go back and side and finish your bizo. When you go back out, the car is warm, the window clear, and away you go. I think most of us don't work like that. Most of us like for me, it's getting the kids to school and or something like that, and I'm just leaving it till last minute. I'm not actually aware that when I go out there the car is going to be all frosted over, So it's like always a surprise, Marcus. Good to have your back. I lived in Alberta, canad The best loose to frosted windscreen is to put a beach tail on the front windscreen when you get out, remove it in the morning, give it a shake to remove the frost snow. Everyone has a beach tail in the cupboard, Marcus. I do a bit of work in the prisons. When I go down to Tonganedo Prison, I always see the overnight workers with towels and blankets across their windscreens when it's cold. Apparently it means they when they get up and finish their shift in the morning. They could just walk out and lift the ice off the windscreen. Don't work if it works, but they all seem to don't know if it works, but they all seem to do it. Oh yeah, so I've got reports of flooding and ross Common Road and cleaning. Marcus, you use ice crabes with the engine fan on windscreen. I do it for my job at Easy Car Rentals, Queenstown. Marcus walk Katah. Fair thing about opening the new mana Are two Tarroro Expressway. Why, Marcus? The best thing for all seasons is a car cover. Could she be bothered? Could you be of it? Where would you keep your car? Covity keeping the boot of the car, Nigel Marcus?
Speaker 14: Welcome, Yeah, good evening, Marcus. So how many frosts you had to date this winter down and down South?
Speaker 3: Maybe four?
Speaker 14: Four?
Speaker 15: Ah?
Speaker 14: Yeah, I've only seen one Underneeden, so you've had more than us in the need and then and that one and that one the other day. I went off because time daylight come, it was raining and you don't normally get a wet day after a frost.
Speaker 3: That's when you get black ice, though, isn't it when it rains after a frost.
Speaker 14: You can do, or it rains before freezers.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Black ice, it's killed many dangerous. No, you can't see it coming.
Speaker 14: Have you driven in black ice? Yeah, you can lose control.
Speaker 3: Well, you got before you realize it. But there's normally about four cards in the ditch of hidiot.
Speaker 14: Yeah. Although when I was driving down boun mcurean Road and the nead and my neighbor ahead of me he went down all right and got around the corner. My car didn't. He was driving in this and I was driving a Toyota. Perhaps I should have bought a list and instead of a Toyota.
Speaker 3: What did you hit the curb?
Speaker 14: The curb? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Do your wheels? Do you do much damage?
Speaker 14: Yeah, I've done a bit of damage.
Speaker 3: Oh, hell, that's not good.
Speaker 14: I've done more damage than other accidents though.
Speaker 3: Good, okay, good?
Speaker 14: Ye Oh no, it's not good when you're in the wrong because about insurance costs with your insurance.
Speaker 3: Tell me something you do you go out and check a rug on your windscreen or anything like that.
Speaker 14: Never done that. I've done, newspaper and if I haven't, you know, sometimes you don't know. There's going to be a frost over line.
Speaker 3: You have to be pretty organized to work it out, I reckon, But yeah, okay.
Speaker 14: And if there's the cars covered and ice in the morning, I just use not too hot a water because, as you say, the old windscreen is just shattered or cracked and shattered at the warriers. But you're going to find it out about these new laminated windscreens whether they shatter.
Speaker 5: I don't think they.
Speaker 3: Do, but I'll find out with your news newspapers, Nigel. Are they on the inside of the car or the outside?
Speaker 14: I always had them on the outside.
Speaker 3: How did you keep them in place?
Speaker 14: Well, it's still it's all right, But if the wooden comes up, the frost normally goes off, doesn't it when.
Speaker 3: They But how would you stop them from sliding down?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 14: Well you can if you're inside and can't see it happening. If if you're aware of it, you just go out and do it. If you're not aware of the newspapers sliding down, it's just you know, you revert back to the warm not too hot a water on the windscreen.
Speaker 3: Oh you've got the ODT havn't you were just still quite a big paper?
Speaker 14: Yeah? Yeah, yeah?
Speaker 11: How much are you use.
Speaker 3: How many years lifts the ODT got?
Speaker 14: I have no idea. Do you reckon as until? Is there not many of the younger generation by the paper. They read all their news on their smartphones and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't read. I think probably the ODT would be a bit of a what would be a bit of a miracle that it's still going privately?
Speaker 14: Yeah, and it's sometimes I go into the shop Supermark on this sold out and other times the stacks of papers left to sell. So it's hard the same mar because your guest is as good as mine. Do you think the Southland Times will last longer than the No.
Speaker 3: I certainly don't. I think it's a year left. I got one the other days out a spell and I thought someone had had I thought someone had gutted it. There was so little in it.
Speaker 14: Yeah, it's down to tabloid size there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and there's not a lot of it's international stuff or yeah it's but you know they've got an online presence, but yeah, physical papers. I think it's just a tic tick tic tick. It'd be days, would it months? I don't know. I think radio I'll outlive the newspapers. It would be my guests nice to talk even look at the NZTA webcams of the Southern Motorway looks unbelievably where the texts are texting this through also tonight too. Here's what they are saying people, Marcus, the rain is heavy. I have just driven back from Hamilton to Auckland. Wiper blades on four the whole way. So much surface flooding. So there we go. I'm expecting this is going to be a big event. Marcus. Cut potato and half smear. And there's a word that is s t a c t H on windscreen. Must be start a H. Marcus. Think the council should be on to it's sweeping the drains. It's autumn. All those leaves get a job. It can all be compost. Marcus. The near future for newspaper Sunday only edition good with brunch. You know, that's the thing. We're talking about the end of newspapers, and we're also going to talk about the end of brunch. How long's brunch got. Honestly, it's like a meal they invented that no one knew. They wanted. No wake up. I think actually we don't need brunch. What about a bottleless brunch after my time, jeepers seems sketchy. Get in touched by them, as Marcus Welke if you're going to be a part of the show, but verys There is a heavy there's a thunder warning. Now there was a thunder watch. Now there's a thunder warning. I got shots of dreary and man it's wet. So yeah, if you've got weather updates for us, please get in touch, Marcus. Windscreen old Scottish solution. Set wipers in the vertical position, lift off screen, placed two sheets of the local newspaper offsor's screen and secure in place with the wipers. Oh he didn't say that, NLGE. You didn't mention the wipers as the that's the thing to hold them in place. I set them up for that, didn't I let them on. Didn't take the bait. Ask too many questions, that guy. Severe weather Radar detect severe met Service wather radar detected severe thunderstorm near Cayo topoal Bay, Cahoe and fung Aroa. These you unders moving towards the east southeast to expect to line their Bay of islands. Put it on and Titia at eight thirty and then there fung at nine pm accompanied by Torrenti or rain. Now, by the way, someone's texted me and let me know how excited to let you know first, Smeg's back, Smeg kitchen where utensil rest, Minika, cotts, medium, baker. Got none idea what those things are? Very expensive way to buy kitchen. Where would be my advice on you with those ones? But people get obsessed with that but cash and quickly don't be sitting there with people with stickers that are alive and haven't got enough to get what they need and driving all around town to get this Smeg cockette or whatever that is cheapers. Pretty amazing when those potential riots and Los Angeles that they're ordering autonomous cars and then sitting light to them. I hadn't expected that is something that would happen. It's called weimo or something like that, but that just seemed extraordinary. I think that's the story that's going to resolve itself for any time. So anyway, just coming up towards the news people frost for cars and the ways to combat that's what we are talking about. And veryous, serious floods that seem to be happening right round the top of the North island at the moment. Be good to hear from you for that, Marcus. Those patted sunscreen shades us inside the windows to block the sun are great to use on outside windscreens for frosty mornings. Marcus, I goingn off cut for the local carpet store work wonders. Not a bad idea. Put that one of the wind screens on the outside, I would have thought, Marcus, for windscreen, use your folding sunscreen protection for frost. People seem to swear by flattened cardboard. I just say cardboard. I think you know it'd be flat, and I think people gonna put actually boxes on their windscreen with Yeah, I don't know if the word flattened isn't necessary there. Now I've been shot by a rubber bullet. We're pretty painful for that, reporter, isn't it. I haven't seen the bruise, but I imagine it's significant and certainly caused it to whelp. Yeah, it seemed unfairly barbaric, But just checking that out there as a side topic, Marcus, newspaper's going going gone nothing to wrap the fish and chips windscreen frost. Fore his prodection get up the bonnet get up on the bonnet and do what we do do best. Marcus. Oh, here's good of information, Marcus laminad windscreens will not shatter, will crack from stone chips, etc. If stone chips only damage the outer glass layer, the inner glass layer won't be affected due to plastic in between. All other glass on cars will share to a million pieces. Don't be lazy cover against frost, David Taylorville ps vesselin smeared on door, rubber stops doors freezing closed? Marcus? What can be done about food delivery service drivers parking on mobility parks? Most if not all, have mobility permits displayed, but they don't appear to be genuine, especially when they run to eateries to get the orders. Just witness the car displaying a mobility permit trying to find a park. The poor ladies struggled to walk to the shop. Not really good enough, especially when the uber drivers stood there and watched her. I have never witnessed that. If someone's got something to say about that, let us know. All the lines are free. We love to hear from you. By the way, someone said sex work old sex to stop your windscreens frosting up? So what of a chabby look, though, isn't it using sex? So iren Z reports that power is out and dozards of households in the Auckland suburb of Papa toy Toy is stormy weather HiT's the region. Energy company Vector says it's investigating to cause the outage. Much of the Upper North Island is under severe weather storm matchingtil watch until midnight, and the Bay of Islands two hundred and the story in the Bay of plenty two hundred and eighteen households in Pokahena and are without power. In Northland, a power outage is affecting part of Patawa and part of a bay near Farga Heads. That's the latest. Before you're looking forward to what you've got to say. I think I spent some of my holiday and part of a bay quite nice near fun A Heads. Do get in touch at windscreens, saving you wind screens and frosts, but run about tonight eight hundred and eighty twenty nine Text looking forward to what you've got to say? Lyle, it's Marcus.
Speaker 12: Good evening, Oh, good evening, Marcus.
Speaker 13: And it's good to hear you hale and hearty.
Speaker 3: Yes, good to be hale and hardy too lyle.
Speaker 13: Oh, thank you, I mean I say thank you anyway, Marcus. I just wanted to broke something with you that you actually had a bit of prescience about when you were talking a few weeks ago and I was just drifting off to sleep and it was nearly ten o'clock and you mentioned how silly it was that Fonterra is selling their their various brands. And I don't know if you remember that, Yeah, maybe, yep, yep, okay, so and this is this is interesting because I mean I was just sort of half asleep, and then the next day aren Z reported the sale extremely blandly, with no comment whatsoever, no editorial or anything like that. And you're absolutely right, it's extremely silly, and it's only there was an article in the Herald in November by one Andrea Fox, you know, completely castigating it. And essentially what they're going to do is they're going to sell the Anchor brand, which has been a brand since eighteen eighty six, Mainland and one other I can't remember now, but I mean and essentially, if you look at what they're saying, they're saying, oh well, and as Andrea Fox points out in the Herald article in twenty first of November. That's right there when it was that what they said. The argument seems to be for Miles Howell the CEOs, they're not very good at marketing, so they're not really going to bother anymore, which is absolutely ridiculous. And I just want to write it to my own experience. When I was in Britain in nineteen eighty seven eighty eight, you had lovely Kerry Gold butter, a tiny little bit I think it was two hundred grams or something like that, in a lovely golden wrapper, and you paid as much for that as you did for you know, a pound of New Zealand butter in the white in the white rap. Then fast forward to nineteen ninety seven, I was teaching in Japan, and when you went into a big, super big department store like Soga or something, by then you had a firmly brand butter in some foil, but it was still the leaders were still Kerry Gold, and most of their NEWSS and butter were still in the white rap. We are already useless at mark, I think, but there's no reason not to do it. And then Fontia sold there, you know, the ice cream business a few years ago to a Filipino firm and they're going to keep their ingredients business, but they haven't really factored them. And that there are three main parties that are really interested in it apparently are two French ones, ones called Lactalis and other ones than Non, and of course the Swiss Nestley now and also a bigger, bigger is a new one that's that sort of entered the market apparently from Australia, which is rather odd because they've got a less of a capital value than, you know, than the New Zealand operation. But I mean the whole point is if they do sell all that stuff off, they've supplied a lot of you know, commodity product to the Noon for instance, and if it's applied quite a lot to Nestley over the years, so you could have the prospect of the Non's got factories in Eastern Europe dairy factories, so they could have the prospect of anchor butter being produced in Poland for god.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And the thing is that the thing is fontirases in o good at marketing. But we always heard that our clean green ki We brand was better marketing than anything, and that was awful what they said, but that just seems to be thrown out now. No one cares about that.
Speaker 13: Well, I mean is it clean and green? I mean I live in the extreme southwestern christ Church and when I regularly is part of work drive to say Timaru. All the old dry land farms, you know, the beef and sheep farms, have been replaced by these giant milk factories, and so they're not particularly clean and green. All the macrocarpa hedges that used to be there to shelter gone on, yeh, because they need to wheel around these great irrigation booms. So and I'm going to upset people now, but I probably already have. But you see them farmers essentially found for capital gain, whether they realize that or not, because there's no capital gains tax, so that they've taken their eye off the economic ball. They just continue that they're they're waiting for their big sort of lotto payout, which is absolutely guaranteed. So and also there are a cooperative too, and cooperatives tend to be conservative, but there are cooperatives that have been really good, like Kerry Gold for instance, you know, great marketing. They've got about five thousand farmers in Ireland, but they seem to be innovative in that. I don't know, is it just part of our colonial past or what. But something else is going to happen, you know, when they're in negotiations with say to None or Nestle or like Talis, it's like a game of poker, and they're going to know if they set up this year next year that that Fontira has got no aces or jacks anymore. If it sells Anca and Mainland, they might have a one or two in the form of their ingredients business, which they're still going to keep. And they know in negotiations that Fonterra, if they don't get a good price, can't say, oh, we're going to just pump more polity product into our own brands. And then they're going to be squashing their heads wondering why that they're going to get less money than they thought they would for their commodities because it's all very very commodity commodities now and they're going to be going, well, I wonder how they happened.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't disagree. I think it's a bit similar to that New Zealand. New Zealand Rugby that's great behemoth that we all know what's going to happen, and just bad decision making. I think we saw that and some of the lineup changes. Lyle, thank you so much for your call. I appreciate that. Keep them going. Switt's Marcus, welcome, good evening.
Speaker 12: I'm Marcus.
Speaker 3: Where did you say you were.
Speaker 16: In it?
Speaker 12: And Ricky Ringy after shaving done some rabbit shooting, and I just stopped from my dinner delicious, and I was just thinking about the weather because I'm watching the weather very close to the first or I want to talk without sex on your windscreen to stop the ice and you see it. That's not a good look.
Speaker 3: Just hang on the shoe. I just want to tell you too that someone's texted me extremely heavy rate. And Toto us in on flight five two six two from went into the Todonger, tried to land twice unsuccessfully now heading back south. So there we go. There's trouble with the airlines as well. Yes, sex under the windscreens here, yes, yes.
Speaker 12: And of course if you go to a garden's end of these days you can buy coffee husks for your compost. In a big sec it comes to the big issum sect and it would have free trade, organically sourced, and a brand of coffee. Now if you put those on your weskey, if you're going to say, now that's a touch a class.
Speaker 3: I see the sex, not the sex, not the coffee grounds.
Speaker 12: No, no, don't put the coffee grounds on the carry and to block the ecodishing.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's good.
Speaker 12: Yeah, yeah, So you know, just use a husks on your garden like the compost and then put the second there field go. I would he's gone to the trouble of getting organically sourced, free trade sick, very classy and the brand.
Speaker 3: And honestly, here are you someone that goes out and does things before on the night before to stop the windscreen frosting up?
Speaker 12: No, I don't worry about that too much. And here in Ricky Irey is a couple of frosts. We've had a couple of frosts recently. Actually got a wall shee rin up here and that's pretty cold. But it's no just you know, back at the war she's right away we go and I don't think we get the frost like you're doing the needing for example, you know, and down there we don't you.
Speaker 3: You're in lend from Wyk and I a yep, probably about maybe twenty five twenty eight calumebras from the coastline, kepity coastline. There's nothing near, there's nothing there is.
Speaker 12: There nothing here in Rocky Ringy, Yeah, what is there? There's beautiful lifestyle blocks, lots of beautiful lifestyle rocks, two or three working farms still maybe six working farms. There's the main road that links Why can I over the Ekatara road to go that one over the hill to Upper Hut. So it's a it's an inland road. So whenever the other highways to cloth, who will try to go over that road even though it's big side that say, you know, don't bring tracks. Though it's a coach road. You know, it's an old coach road and it's narrow and treacherous, but it's great fun and it's through some beautiful country. But people come here and they take their camp events over here because if from somewhere else and they get stuck.
Speaker 3: No, I think I think I've done Haywoods, but not the one for the Ekatara. So that looks like a Philly. That looks like a Philly significant road.
Speaker 12: That's a that's a niggly little road, lofty heap and corners and big drop offs on the side. If you drop off, they's good bye, Charlie, Tom. But I want to talk to you about the weather. And the weather is really interesting. I'm sitting here and of course I have to watch the rep the weather as a rabbit color because I need to know when it's changing, go home before I start melting. And I watch the rain radar on the met Surface New Zealand Met Service rain radar, and it's very very specific. It's a real time radar and you can see the clouds coming in well, the clouds it was forecast and the three day forecast to come across Caperity coast nine o'clock was now after nine o'clock and the rain hasn't arrived. But the clouds are coming across the Taranaki byte and they literally parted and Palms the north and Marsden we're the top and the bottom of the cloud. And it went across towards each towards tell Us Cake Taliser and breathing from west to east, and it just parted over Capity and Carig didn't get any rain. And then it carried on. But if people want to have a really really good idea of where the heavy rain is, the met Service rain radar you can dial up your own town. Where you can dial up your own town one hundred and twenty kilos around your hometown, three hundred kilometers around your hometown, the whole of New Zealand, and you can see if you.
Speaker 3: I think it's fair to say we are on the golden age of weather information at our hands. We've got it all, haven't we. We know exactly what's going to happen. It bugus belief, the biggest belief.
Speaker 12: Big sorry, biggest belief that things like sandbars can't be dug out before the before the rain comes to let the river go out the sea.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 12: And so we get a flood. And so how's the councils and the people who are in change of the waters dis changed at the river mouth in sync with the weather forecast. The bloody brilliant It's.
Speaker 3: Not quite where I was going here, But yeah, no, nice to hear from you. I just think when golden a golden age, have next you knowing what the weather's going to be if you haven't got a close.
Speaker 16: Dar.
Speaker 3: It's perfect because it just tells you all the time. Marcus, no frost in the garage, just saying it's been very heavily raining here in Hamlet for the past three hours or more. Marcus. The anchor Brat milk brand is so popping. Well know, it's sometimes reverred to as milk and general parents, shrill ankor. It's the most love dairy brand of the country. It's synonymous with milk anchor. Ah, it's snowing State Highway eight, quite heavy around or Matama and twicel. So she's four seasons. Let's hear from you back soon. By the way, they've got they've thrown good money out of the bed. They've tried to fix that roundabout in total longer by putting orange poles in it. That sounds like a Biggs muddle. I'll tell you which one is. I think it's been open for a while. I'll tell you the name of it. Oh, the tod Eco roundabout. I think it's an older roundabout with a new layout of Someone might put me more right with that, Colin, Marcus, welcome, Mark.
Speaker 6: How are you good?
Speaker 3: Thanks Colin?
Speaker 17: Yeah, mate, I can answer a question about the roundabout for you. I wasn't sure what your query was though. What was your query about the new round about at total?
Speaker 3: How long has it been there for?
Speaker 17: Oh geez uh.
Speaker 18: Ah ten years?
Speaker 19: Eight years? Ten years?
Speaker 3: So were their problems? Whether why have they tried to change it?
Speaker 17: I would say it would be a layout thing to to help traffic flow. I would imagine, okay, to help some cards, maybe have a free left turn or an easier right turn during peak traffic. It's actually really hard because people drive on to the roundabout and then wait on the roundabout so no one else can get on until they can go, But then people behind them have already joined the roundabound about, so it's it's a bit of a shmodel. Really.
Speaker 3: It sounds to me it's a symptom of a greater problem that all the traffic and total on it is sort of not really functioning that well because of a lack of planning.
Speaker 17: No, and it's you're exactly right, and that side of town is where it comes off. The comis on State Highway twenty nine, which if we've ever tried to get anywhere around that area on a Friday afternoon at five o'clock, don't make plans.
Speaker 3: Yeah, copy, okay, because it's going.
Speaker 19: To take you forever.
Speaker 17: I was updating you on the toting and weather. It is raining and has been for a while now, and it's quite chilly.
Speaker 3: Yep, sure, which is nice.
Speaker 17: Yeah, is it a real thing?
Speaker 3: Is hang on? Just before you got going to your really is it floody sort of weather.
Speaker 18: A little bit?
Speaker 17: Yeah, we've just bo and I've just been playing badminton at the Queen Elizabeth Center and it was sounded trential on the roof because obviously got no no antilation or anything, you know, tin roof. Yeah, sounded torrential. It's outside has quite flooded, but it's.
Speaker 3: Easing off now, okay of hearing it.
Speaker 18: Yep, it's been a very wet time.
Speaker 10: Just just throw this.
Speaker 17: Was getting some gas the other day and I noticed that some pumps, you know, it slows down without no leader and a half to go or something like that, the vengeful pump. Yes, yes, So I was just wondering, why do they have to make it slow down so soon? Last two leaders take nearly two minutes?
Speaker 20: Do they?
Speaker 17: I wonder if they expect people to walk away and leave their last fifty cents with a gas because they can't be bother waiting. Is it a money making employee?
Speaker 18: What do you think?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I've filled up today, and yeah, I don't know. If I wouldn't say it takes two minutes for the last leader and a half, would it?
Speaker 17: Maybe it's tight over exaggeration, but.
Speaker 12: I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't. I don't know. I don't know enough about the mechanics. I know some people are consumed. How much is left in the pipe?
Speaker 17: Yes, yes, I met it. Maybe one of our listeners knows more about her and could update us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know how that would work. Yeah, I don't know how they checked the volume that's going in. I don't know how it works. I'd never thought about how the outside.
Speaker 17: Yeah, I was standing outside. It was cold, it was raining sideways, and the last sort of leta took ages. I almost hang up the hose to just get out of the rain, and thought, what if this is some sneaky, big oil trick.
Speaker 3: Why are you standing outside? Why don't you just why just push fall and click the button on?
Speaker 17: This one had no about it. You know, some of them they don't have it.
Speaker 3: That's terrible when they haven't broken or yeah, Okay, isn't it just yeah, yes for thought, Marcus, appreciate it. Cod. I'll trying to find out that everyone knows how they work. I'd like to hear from you. Someone's emailed me kure Marcus. I was wondering if you'd be able to ask your listeners of that information regarding a friend of mine that went missing on the twenty eighth of March twenty twenty three from Fielding. His name is Stephen James Ryan. This is a copy of his missing person profile. Stephen James Ryan born nineteen eighty three, will be forty two, location Onne W two. Stephen was last seen at nine pm on the twentieth of March twenty twenty three, an address in Mane Over two. Police send family have concerns us well for an apeing to public and the signings information so one O five if you want a photo of him too, it's on the missing persons file on the Inded police website. So he's been missing for two years and two years three months. So there we go. Thanks for getting in touch with that too. I don't know if that's done any use. But and more about the Todico Roundabout roadworks have begun to add extra lanes and traffic lights to allow better flow to the Todiico Crossing mall. The lane changes and orange stickers are a nightmare, nightmare for people who are not aware of where to go. So council is now modifying the roundabouts to help the issues. Well, it does sound like the biggest model that doesn't it. I just can't quite work out how councils and traffic management could have no idea how cities are going to grow, because really they do and the pace they grow and not have the roading in place to help them a number of discussions they have with people about Queenstown because Queenstown's unworkable and they're spending millions and millions and hundreds millions of dollars to try and work it, and anything they do it just doesn't fix it because the planning is so bad. And I think Queenstown and Total Long and they're going to become two other places that people could well just walk away from because they've become unworkable. Remember on this show discussing whether people would rather live in Totong or Hamilton, and I thought it'd be a slam dun't for to longer, but people unanimously in favor of Hamilton because it's just impossible to get around Totong yet, you know, you can't go anywhere any time. And they're still developing, it still growing, and they're trying to fix everything retrospectively. And I had to say it, but the Meal lives in Clevedon. That doesn't no, not in Clevedon and Cambridge. That doesn't give you much hope. He won't even move there. I think he says he's going to. But still what a biggest muddle anyway, and also keeping you stopping the ice on your windscreen. All the lines are free to be nice to hear from you people. My name is Marcus Good Evening Marcus talking about missing people. Of the women from christ Church wrest Home that wanded off the sort have been found after a week. Police urging people to check their properties. Marcus, do you know where the new regulations are against tethering dogs for long periods will come into force? And how many people actually dib and neighbors or family members for dogs chained up outside and weather like this on any whether they shouldn't be chained up? Marcus, I lived just two minutes from the ton Eco Roundabout, which has been converted into a traffic light system due to rapid growth in the area with new housing developments of the stateho between nine right about connecting into ton Eco Industrial Area and the lot to a highway, there's expected to be a major increase in traffic and population since the road works began. I've seen multiple near missus trucks almost hitting cars, lots of confusions, spike car signage, and frequent tooting. The currencytu seems to be causing significant safety concerns. And how do bowsers charge for petrol? How do they know how much is going in? There must be some I can't quite work out how that works. I'm not saying it's inaccurate. I'm sure it's reaccur I'm sure there's weights and measures people are across there. I just like to know actually how it works for my own curiosity. Someone sent me an email about this roundabout. It seems to be a big story for the people of Totonga. Oh wow. What The red circle is the entrance to the Tonico Shopping Center, which is around about at the moment, and they are putting lights and going to take to October in the meantime, they put orange sticks to the middle of the road, which are two lane round about and if you get in the wrong lane, you're in trouble. We ever thought of this needs their head red, bloody joke. So why would you agree for a shopping center to go right next to a roundabout? Yeah, but I'll tell you what. The message it gives people about Totalong is pretty much, don't come and visit us because it's going to be a car nightmare. That very much seems to be the case. It's not a city, I know that intimately at all, but yeah, only because it's just such a such a hell to drive around. Anyway, get in touch with our talking about windscreens and the frost. Also tonight, there's something and Frederick Forsyth also too. You might have a deep dive into some of his book. That's always good to hear about such a fantastic movie, Dad the Jack. I think I read the book and watched the film. I'm pretty sure I did both of those, and the movie of was it the Odessophile kind of remember watching that. I can't remember that much about it, obviously. Memory for movies is not my strong suit. I feel like there's less and less space in your memory that you can take spinned up with movies. That's my take on that one. But yeah, I wouldn't mind talking about that. But it seemed to be a movie that we saw at school and was tremendous. The Odessaphile. Oh, by the way, the Dogs of War also sold six seventy five million books. Oh, I was curious about day how those fuel tanks work, the fuel bowsers, how they calculate how much fuel is going and if someone could give it a description of that? Also too total? What went wrong there? It's too many roundabouts. I think it seems that it was a tricky topography and tricky layout with the land and harbor. They never kind of got the roads right, and I mean clan ketchup maybe just grew too quick and the men playing ketchup every ever since. But if you're the council you're giving out planning consents, surely you know what's going on. If your zoning area is surely you're going to know when it's going to get big and how big it's going to get. Marcus get into the correct lane well before roundabouts intersections. Everyone should know where they're going. If you find yourself always trying to change lanes. You are the problem. Well, a lot of people look at Google Maps at the same time. That's till we get around now. I shop at the Tonico peckin Safe every week. Three weeks ago, I was in the same nan I always use, went around the corner and disappeared and had orange poles in it. Retically switched to the left lane to avoid them. And now he has been taken out by an eight whether truck. It's a complete and utter effing disaster zone. Someone's going to die, Marcus. The frigid evening has turned to balmy mild here in Auckland North. Thank you absolutely pouring down in cowdo torrential die Marcus. Most dumb decisions, such as a supermarket near a roundabout, are authorized by counselors who mates own the properties. They have zero regards for an area's infrastructure that's moved from McLean's Island. I think for a while there we got roundabout happy. I think roundabouts work up to a point, then you get too much congestion and too much traffic in a Yeah, there's a sweet spot for roundabouts, and then when there's too much traffic they failed to exist to work. Good evening, Roger, it's Marcus.
Speaker 19: Welcome, Hey Marcus, how you doing good?
Speaker 3: Thanks Roger.
Speaker 19: It's a wet night in Christ Judge, cheer to wetnight and Christ such yere.
Speaker 3: Thanks for the I hadn't heard that yet.
Speaker 19: Probably were everywhere things.
Speaker 3: Seems to be not down south, but.
Speaker 19: Ye yeah, hey, look just like I'm a truck drive around Christ huge. I've been driving around here for forty thousand years, quite a long time. And one thing I've always I've always thought about, and I have rung up talked back before about this is that when you come up to a set of lights, and there might be three or four lanes, and you come up to them, there is no lane layout for you to see approaching the lights. Right Sometimes you agree.
Speaker 3: You don't know, you don't have the left lane. It's going to be a left there, or it's going to be straight ahead and the left.
Speaker 17: I agree with that, yeah, yeah, And so I've always said, why don't they put it up on a sign over the lights.
Speaker 19: When you're coming up you can see the layout of the lanes so you know exactly what they Because the amount of times I have to let people and or people come up and then the well where do I go?
Speaker 12: Now?
Speaker 19: You know, I've even seen buses get confused. To be honestly, saw a bus a while ago ended up stuck on the wrong side of the road.
Speaker 3: And I wonder if any country has done that successfully, because I don't even know if I've heard of that.
Speaker 19: Well, I think they do it, maybe in the States. I could be wrong. I've never been here, but yeah, I just think it'd save a lot of hassles for people, because you know, it is like or which was this lane going on? As this is only left turning, And of course the other thing you have now when you come up to a seat of lights and there's the green light to go, but there's a really narrow for turning oh yeah, yeah for a pedestrian, and so all the cars are sitting behind you and people don't really start turning or vanslap.
Speaker 3: We'll talk more after the news. Thanks Roger. Large volume of texts about driving in Totong and what a shimozzle it is, so you might want to comment on here about that. I guess the question is why is it so bad? How bad is it? And the question that we don't really that we're not good at asking this country. That's what's the solution. Because I know about some people, but I suspect the people of todong Are are the last people in the world that would embrace public transport. So I can't see what the options are. Here's a sample of the texts Marcus Totong are Poolong Tom planning of a city. City has grown too quickly, Traffic doesn't flow. Gary Totong has screwed one hour minimum drive every morning to drive six k's dropping kids off at two different schools. No wonder the roller won't live here, Marcus. Now that tot Long as a pography haphas of development. An absence of functioning public transport makes sensible roading impossible. Marcus, I've been tot On the large part of my life. The infrastructure, especially roads, didn't grow fast enough compared to population, so much red tape. Remember the councilor has now been run by a commissioner, was run by commissioner and Tolly for about four years. She didn't do anything to improve roading. Drivers of tot Long were just bad drivers, regardless of roads. They can't use indicators especially. I don't think that's particular to Totong. I think there's no shortage of people that they can't use their indicators, Marcus during congestion. Roundabouts should be emerge, one goes past, one goes in. Oh, that's not a bad idea. Could we change roundabouts? So actually, I think when roundabouts first were invented, on the roundabout, you give way the drivers coming into it. I think that's the way it worked. Vaughn AT's Marcus, welcome.
Speaker 18: Marcus, here you go, good, thank you, Vaughn. Yeah, that's roundabout and totong. And that's caused a bit of a hornet's nest and I stirred it up.
Speaker 3: Well, that seems it seems they've spen forever teaching people how to use it, and now they've changed it because there's the more next to it, they're going have to kind of retrain people.
Speaker 18: Yeah, but I mean, you know, you have you trained monkeys. Hey, yeah? But you know when you've got a sign that says center lane, no right to what do you reckon?
Speaker 3: That means okay, can you see this? Can you see the sign?
Speaker 8: Oh? Mate?
Speaker 18: Yeah, look it could be better. Well, grant you there, you know, but there is pretty clear signage you know, I take a truck and trailer through there every day, and yeah, to change people would have saying, look, I had to go around twice, so we'll go around a third time, packing up and walk right, because that's what you should be doing.
Speaker 12: Are you?
Speaker 3: Are you into city? Where is all? You're driving around around in Totna?
Speaker 20: No, I'm line Hall.
Speaker 18: So I'm up in Auckland now just going through all this weather which is lovely heading back to tot On.
Speaker 3: And now how much whill you get there? How much of a shamozzle? How much time do you waste trying to just get through the urban part of that city?
Speaker 21: Oh?
Speaker 22: Look, we go.
Speaker 18: From tar Ricos pet Mara. When we started a run at four o'clock and what should take should take about twenty minutes, could take anything up to half to three quarters of an hour on a bed day. Coming back we leave gone.
Speaker 3: That's four pm, yep. And coming back.
Speaker 18: It's already sort of yeah to coming back, we leave pet Bar at five and it should take us about half an hour, but you know, you get a bit of a bad run, it can be forty five minutes.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 18: It's ye, traffic's a shop and there's no doubt about it.
Speaker 3: But okay, so you'll so you're what you're wasting an hour in your track because of an efficient roading.
Speaker 18: Ah, I would say we're probably wasting a good half an hour because of the I mean there's distance involved and that's so. Look it is what it is, but you know, yeah, it's but a lot of it is just people just can't drive. We need to get over ourselves and realize we're actually bed drivers in New Zealand.
Speaker 19: Yeah, we really are.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well I wouldn't disagree with that.
Speaker 18: You know, when when you've got a roundabout and there's a yeah, they've made a change, but people have to go around twice or three times, then they need to pay more attention.
Speaker 12: You know.
Speaker 18: It's like there's people that are saying, oh, crackey, I'm going to shop somewhere else, So great idea, try Hamilton. You don't get out of out here just you know, I mean it's confusing and yeah, that's right, but it's just pay attention. WA's what you're doing. There's a sign that shows what it is. The science says, you know, there's actually a couple of lanes of heaven change and people are still complaining about that. It's like, for goodness, eight people. You know, you just concentrate on what you're doing. And you know, I got halfway around the roundabout and all these the lane delineators there, it's like, well it's a big science saying road when it's what were you going to expect? You know, Yeah, it's not handling the volume the traffic traffic organizers that ain't need a bullet, I'll tell you, but you know it's not handling the volume. One lane can't handle enough cars per hour, as simple as that. Surely there's mats that says one lane can handle ex number of cars per hour.
Speaker 3: It's a pretty basic calculation, isn't it. You think there'd be one O one roading. We've got this capacity. If it's more cars than that, we're going to do something else. How bad's the weather at the moment?
Speaker 18: At the moment, it's pretty good. Actually, I came up so here it's the airport at at the airport at nine and it was torrential, but it's it's buttoned off. It's only there's only just splitting now the work's on Intobdon but it's so it's going to pack it in again told we know a couple of guys on the CV it's not good.
Speaker 6: So yes, it is what it does great report.
Speaker 3: Appreciate that, Von, Thank you, Laurie Marcus welcome.
Speaker 15: Yeah, hi Marcus. Yeah he's funny. Just when you think that the road planners have exhausted themselves a roundabouts and stuff. I mean in Parmi it was used to be wonderful, very easy place to get around. But one of the main streets the planners come up with this idea of sticking bus stops and traffic lanes and sis Fetherss Street. It's been a great consternation. But yeah, hey, on the old window frost, we just use a you know, you buy frost cloth off a roll about the width of your car and put that over the and we're going to some magnets and just you need four magnets. No, the magnets. Actually I deconstructed a microwave, but that very very strong magneture. But you probably cleaner. You get some small ones. But these magnets we just leave there stuck on the wall of the shed, just by way with the carreras. So you can just flop the old frost cloth over, so you.
Speaker 3: Put it on the outside, and these magnets hold it on the inside of the outside, Is that right?
Speaker 15: Magnets hold it just you know, on on the door pillars.
Speaker 3: Basically, you understand.
Speaker 15: Otherwise you've got to fold it inside the door and close the door on it, if you know, you want to keep it there in the wind. But that sort of cloth, it doesn't sort of absorb much water, you know, it's very easy to you can just.
Speaker 8: Is it white?
Speaker 15: Is it like from te No, No, it's a black or that you know, sort of a that's well off, a very dark gray, I suppose, and reasonably rereadomly porous, quite cheap, very very light.
Speaker 3: Is it from like a super chip cash shop, like a might of teen?
Speaker 15: Well, no, that's frost class. You buy it from the garden centers. Yeah, you look it over the plants aft if you go to super Cheap Auto. The I mean they've got the old c C the ice aerosolt can five dollars, amaze me. The buzz bugs one I've got the five hundred. I mean theirs is about eighteen bugs. But the old I haven't used to have to use the iSER so much in New Zealand. I've used it overseas. But now I find that, you know, the frost is a really good solution, and pretty quick.
Speaker 3: You're going to have to find the weather to know it's going to be frosted. I have no idea a lot of the time.
Speaker 15: Yeah, well it's just you know, the night it gets quite crisp, you know about it. If you it's I realized you're not really organized.
Speaker 3: So sometimes to be really to be really on the story. Sometimes I'll leave work and I'll be frosted up, so it'll be middy. But I'm quite happy to sit in my car for five minutes they have a look on what's sending around the world and just you know, because if I get home at half past twelve or twelve forty doesn't really make much difference to me. So but yeah, but sometimes it's just starting to form about midnight, and really sometimes it's really thick.
Speaker 15: Yeah, yeah, so funny. We've just got a new watch. It's a new second hand Honda Jairs, but they've got a messive front window on the may just takes an almost long time to properly clear. You know, if you do get frost on it and you haven't had something even with the old eater on four but.
Speaker 3: Either the jairs or no good looks. All right, that's a little bit the same little car run around cheap on the guests, I suppose.
Speaker 15: Yeah, yeah, we got it. Well, we bought the sound of a good deal of somebody too old or I couldn't get that renew their license.
Speaker 3: So oh buyers dark Yeah.
Speaker 15: Yeah, and it's twenty nineteen, but it's only got twenty thousand k on it now. But first came first carave ever had that. You can't actually put a towbar on. Hey, you know, it's not structurally strong in that area. Really, I think the earlier jazz as he could.
Speaker 3: But how does that conversation go?
Speaker 15: Well, I didn't really think about it when we bought it.
Speaker 3: Did you did you go to automobile place?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 15: No, No, this is we bought the vehicle through you know for some people.
Speaker 3: We know, Yeah, did you go and try and get a towbar on it?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 15: Well it's in the in the handbook, oh wow, yeah, and quite bold print. Yeah, and I checked with somebody else that's got one. And in fact they had an earlier version that it did ever towbar on. They loved the jazz and it's not going to get another one. But I did ask the agent, you know about the Toba business. There's no way, you know, just it's some so.
Speaker 20: Yeah, well it's just.
Speaker 15: Something that's you know, you suddenly think something you've always been used to with a car. I can always remember the last vehicle around, you know, which that had a crank handle that ever had anything to do with and which was always a good sister have you know on frosty warnings if you couldn't start the car, but Spence, it was a larder. My sister had a larder that had a crank handle it. But that was the very last ones I think never ever had it.
Speaker 3: What you had the crank handles go out early seventies.
Speaker 15: Yeah, yeah, it would be. I guess I've never cracked a car.
Speaker 3: I don't think.
Speaker 15: Yeah, no, it's it used to be a very common thing to do. You just had to watch where you put your thumb on the you know, like if they kicked back.
Speaker 3: You know, oh, I can imagine they could be all sort of that. You'd leave the cat crank handle on the bonnet. You'd found where did the where did the crank handle live?
Speaker 20: Well, you fitted it.
Speaker 8: Would you.
Speaker 15: Usually it was clicked in on the body somewhere, or in the back, in the bladder. I think it was in you sort of headed in the boot, but and then there was a whole in the usually the the bumper or come the bumper.
Speaker 3: I think it'd be quite a satisfying thing to do, is to crank a crank a car.
Speaker 15: Yeah, yeah, well that was a very cold start for a lot of people. You know, when the battery is getting a bit flat, it was just turn over.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but.
Speaker 3: The road I suppose for a while there were people that wouldn't buy a car without a crank. Cannle I didn't trust today.
Speaker 15: Get well, this is the thing. Now you've got to think about a car that you can there's no way you allowed to put a Toba on it's.
Speaker 3: Has he got a speed Has he got a speed tar? A lot of them have speed tis now No, well.
Speaker 15: This one does because it's a it's a petrol version of it. But no, the hybrid, which is the latest Jazz that that doesn't have it doesn't have a spare And a friend of mine's got one and he got caught out a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's been a great conversation. Start a few of your jazz there regard that could just spend on the microwave for as magnets. I thought you could probably find something. Someone says, the hound of jazz has a CVT transmission. Never put a toe bar on a vehicle with CVT four thousand dollars rebuild what CVT? Would that not be up for it or something?
Speaker 15: I guess I thought that it wasn't the transmission issue. I thought it was to do with this. You know, you had the body. It was the strength of the.
Speaker 3: That's a contiguously variable transmission.
Speaker 15: Okay, okay, okay, yeah, okay, well it's yeah, so you're getting you're getting.
Speaker 3: Fuel efficiency with that. But yeah, what did you want to tell your kayak?
Speaker 15: No, well, just not just a trailer with some rubbish and stuff. You know, in the kayaks usually go on the roof wreck. That's most of my daughters. He's got a ute for that sort of stuff. Yeah, yeah, Actually, she just back from Tahiti a couple of days ago. She won the race up up there, nearly two thousand dollars worth of This is a sort of masters woman.
Speaker 3: Like walk walk with an outrigger or a single.
Speaker 15: With an outrigger and rudderless. Yeah, it's all rudderless and Tahiti. Yeah, so it's you've got to be better at it.
Speaker 3: And right around an island or something.
Speaker 12: Was it like a.
Speaker 15: Course off of Maria?
Speaker 8: I guess it was.
Speaker 15: I think Yeah. I mean it was a hell of a big event. There's about nine hundred people, you know, in different classes. But and it's it's the biggest professional sport in Tahiti. It's you know, quite a league. You know, the men's prizes are pretty high.
Speaker 2: Is she is?
Speaker 9: She is?
Speaker 3: She kneeling and no, no, it's walker.
Speaker 15: So it's sort of you're sitting down, you know, it'skind of out rugger.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I just flashbacks of that terrible Olympics when they're that rowing standing up. I never really we had to put people there standing up, roaring and it made no sense.
Speaker 13: Yeah you have.
Speaker 15: There is a version of that that.
Speaker 20: Canoe.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 15: Yeah, no she doesn't. She has done it, but she doesn't. It's not her choice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, did she did she take her her out rigged up where she gets one when she's there?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 15: No, she one. Most clubs provided went up here.
Speaker 3: She was invited up that would be fairing around if you had to take your own vehicle, wouldn't it.
Speaker 15: Yeah, but just amazing. And I when see some of the shots, I mean because they race, you know, kids right down the five year olds are sort of right through to the scene as it's just a mess of sight sight to see sort of something like nine hundred buddy, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Nice to talk blurry, Thanks so much for it. Someone said, lots of cars with CV treated CVT transmission of towbars. So already this controversy there. It's really raining. Oh my god, tongue has been for the last three hours. Marcus during cogestion round about talking about total Now, what's the solution that I reckon? People walking from home, working from home, probably buying less, people buying rubbish from the malls. I was parking outside of fruit shop today. Next to the fruit shop is one of those.
Speaker 6: It's like a.
Speaker 3: It's like a the word is not at market, but it's like a more complicated two dollars shop. I was looking in the window and I don't want to be judgement love. I thought, I thought a lot of things. I thought, what a lot of rubbish. Most of it was like giant plastic display swords and stuff. And I looked and I thought, I bitch, I just could not work out what function that shop performed because none of it was useful stuff. I guess it was just ornamental. And I looked at that window and I just thought, what are people buying? And I thought, well, what does this do to the economy. I've got no idea. What you know, well that it must be a pretty miserable shop to working, because all those shops just smell to high heavens of chemicals that the things are made in. But anyway, why am I telling you this. I've got no idea. I got to shoot with someone. But yeah, it just sort of weird. I guess it's not no different from TMO, I suppose, but yeah, I looked at and I thought, wow, anyway, it wasn't even like stationary. It was just like weird ornamental stuff. I'll tell you what the shop was called, because I looked and looked and looked at it. It was a mad butcheres for a long time, but that couldn't work, but this maybe shop will work. And there was a half priced sale. I thought, wow, anyway, some emails all the roads and totong a go from two lanes to one, back to two lanes, back to one. I drive all around totong of Friday's worst day to drive. They built too many houses for the roads. The problem is the volumes of cars. Meredith absolutely bucking down in West Auk and now after steavy, heavy rain, it has just picked up around ten oh five and boys a loud. There will be surfers, flooding and more out there, So drive carefully, Flokes. If anyone is out there and it's got any reports of flooding around the buses or anything like that, that would be of interest to me. Marcus. Some shops that sell junk money laundries, well you look at the stuff and this shot you think cheapest creepers, Marcus. Honda Jazz hybrid cannot fit tob out to these cars as batteries are under the boot floor. Also, there is no speed tire for the same reason. I think Laurie said his wasn't a hybrid, but I don't know why. He kind of a towbar. I don't feel bad. Don't have a good toba and normally your bike's gone that don't they That's where your bike carrier goes. Also, the other time we can talk about that is crank handled cars.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I would. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think our car we had from that with a crank handle must have been from the late sixties. Didn't need it often, but it was always kind of a bit of theater. I quite liked it. It was exciting when it went too I mean, yeah, I don't know why. Yeah, well maybe it's not I guess he's not the demand for them now with batteries. Tony Marcus, welcome.
Speaker 9: Thanks Marcus. My first car was a nineteen thirty seven Chef coupe and the damn heavy motor. You couldn't You couldn't start on the battery because it was only a six fold battery in those days. And I get my mates come around and put the handle in and turn it at the same time as I pushed the start button, and I would slowly wind up and get the motor go, and you'd whip the crank handle out. But the key part about cranking it was that if you put your thumb on the other side from where your fingers were, they would often kick back and break your thumb, so you had to be careful. You'd very careful your thumb and your fingers were aligned, otherwise you're eat up a cripple. And the Vasa got sick of that car, and I sold it, and I bought a nineteen fifty two Prefect, and I thought that my problems are sold. Now with the fourth son, the car more modern, this will start every time. It did through the summer, but come in the winter the cold seeped into it, and again there was a crank handle job, and it was every morning, and even got that desperate that I put carpet on the on the roads and those days packed on the road, piece of carpet on the road underneath the car and a sack over the top of the motor to try and stop them moist chicking up and making everything wet and making it hard to start. There was always a crank handle start and never it never fall In the winter, I went that, I went to it out there, got on the crank handle, spart over over and over and over and over, and eventually you started and I was away. But that crank handle was an important part of my upbringing with cars.
Speaker 3: So with you, Tony, with your thirty seven Sevrolet Cope. So if you're going out to do messages, you only just need to crank it at the beginning of the day. Afterwards the engine was warm up. If you went for a break for ten minutes too, start straight away again.
Speaker 9: Would It's an interesting thing about that car was the starter button. It's not like today's modern cars were you either turn the key or push a button. The actually had a button on the floor between the brake and the and the clutch, and you pushed it with your foot to start it.
Speaker 3: But you don't need to crank it once. Today you wouldn't need to crank it when you turn the engine off and after a short stop it would you just have to crank it the first time of the day, right.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that's right. It's only where it was cold or damn, that's right.
Speaker 3: Yell and tell me how the how your thumb would get broken.
Speaker 9: If you put your thumb on the other side of the crank handle to your fingers. In other words, you script it as you would normally grop a hammer. For example, the motor would kick back off and say it straight away, and the motor would kick back and the crank would turn the opposite direction you're trying to push it in break your thumb.
Speaker 3: So where would you put your thumb.
Speaker 9: You put it in the same position as your fingers, so you grip if you're putting your hand on the top of the table, we just script it with your summon your fingers together.
Speaker 3: Understand. I'm doing that myself as I'm talking at yes, so I can see okay, yeah, okay. So that's a bit of that's a bit of learning required, Tony. I appreciate that. Thank you very much for that. Ten away from eleven Marcus. We have two main highways of traffic coming to Totonga from the north with jets to our traffic wore. These people might be driving I don't and Gisbon from up north and don't live in Totonger. Also, Mount mung Andu is a big tourist town of free popular for surfers who might be from other towns. Cheers, Joe. Marcus spent the week booking evening booking. My south is camping holiday leave the twelth December. I'll be glamping from seventy to January. If you could please organize me back on our ear around then, Marcus. All small cars should have a towbar because they don't have the strong enough breaks to stop a freeloaded trailer. Cheers Steve oh In the weather, there's very strong weather, very strong rain, thunder rain happening, Marcus. The tarrichial rain has easeden totally over the last hour. We're heading to Waimana and the truck tomorrow deliver goods Tofano. The gorge open this morning but maybe closed by tomorrow. The puddle jumper at eight to be seems less than adequate. Thanks for that good evening in it's Marcus. Welcome, Yeah, how you going good? And thank you?
Speaker 21: But bloody red up fro Christians at the moment, what.
Speaker 3: Are you doing?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 6: Sorry, it's it's fine.
Speaker 3: I don't worry about that.
Speaker 21: So when step of car think it was an often a forty, I don't know what year. It was like a bubble car.
Speaker 3: Yep, know them yep, yeah, there was a crack.
Speaker 21: Hit on him there cranking them stuff. We used to take it to Lake Eider and just picked up ice skates on my way on Bareley ed somewhere in the house I remember what house it is. Then go up to the Idea and bloody I was skating and the thing.
Speaker 3: Would you put chains on it?
Speaker 15: No?
Speaker 3: It was straight right up there don't away with na.
Speaker 20: No, I don't know.
Speaker 21: It's all flow apart from the hill. But no, it was always yeah, it was only that hell over the top. But I remember chains on it.
Speaker 3: The thing about the cranking, it always seems quite reliable. It always seemed to eventually work, didn't it. I mean cranking would get it going.
Speaker 21: Yeah, he had it for years. He's put Lamar in the back and big old bloody rotary mud. I don't know how he picked it up and stuff I tried to work out already picked it up, and I've still got the home, but I don't know where the car is now. Got flipped off their while.
Speaker 3: It could be a long time to be a long time to dove Sidney. One crank a car, Yeah, I think I had.
Speaker 21: I had a Riley off, and I think there was crank show.
Speaker 3: It would it would have been I reckon. The cars in the sixties and the early seventies had cranks, didn't.
Speaker 21: They Then about the seventies, someone would I wouldn't.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't mind it more emphatic kind of an answer to that.
Speaker 21: Actually, yeah, my ostin eleven hundred, that definitely wasn't the crank.
Speaker 3: What year would have that terrible car. What would have that been?
Speaker 21: Oh it was a beautiful car made around bloody South all.
Speaker 17: In that car.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but still it didn't look much good, did it.
Speaker 8: Well?
Speaker 21: It made it from Christius to friends Joseph, through through the whatever way down that way, Mount Cook and stuff.
Speaker 20: And then made it all the way back.
Speaker 3: And back up over the hill with roof wrecks we.
Speaker 21: Got No, I didn't. I had to put seat belts in it.
Speaker 12: Nuts that.
Speaker 21: I wasn't a land crap.
Speaker 12: But it was the year.
Speaker 21: It was big enough for me, even.
Speaker 20: Hundred dollars for it.
Speaker 3: And how long was the holiday?
Speaker 21: Probably about two weeks. I think we had to take another car back. So yeah, stopped off only to shave.
Speaker 3: These days the glasses aren't worth going to see.
Speaker 21: Yeah, we managed to get up there as well. It's quite goodly.
Speaker 3: Thought were damn good on their days before they retreated. I mean they were quite the thing to go and see those.
Speaker 21: So looking back at eighty five maybe yeah, so it's wait, yeah, they're way down when we went to send them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, you said raining and christ jurge.
Speaker 21: Yes, it got quite figh year.
Speaker 11: It was quite bad deal.
Speaker 3: We will ago not hear from you and keep it going. People, fourteen past eleven are the last car, the most recent car you had that came with a crank. That's what we're on about tonight, and long may that last get in touch. Marcus, my grandfather and Tim who used to rub dishwash the car windscreen icing up on cold nights worked a treat. Marcus just driven from Auckland to Carver car and the rain has gone amazing. This is the temperature currently eighteen degrees not bad for a night temperature in June. It's good temperature, but hot for me, but wet for me. Also there we go. So cars with cranks, Yippia, get in touch here till twelve fifteen past eleven, be nice to hear from you. It takes all sorts of make their will go around, get in touch. It's been a shooting at a school in Austria, a bullied school pupil. Apparently, that's the reports. He has deceased himself. By the way I say he, I assume it was a he. I think that was specified. I see people now. Orlando Bloom is that Katie Perry's husband. He's getting microplastic removal surgery. You now get your blood cleans for microplastics. I didn't think that would be a thing, but there'd be a market for that. It took him a of hours to get his blood cleaned. People be wanting that here, no doubt. Good evening, Geraldine, it's Marcus. Welcome.
Speaker 7: Good evening, Marcus. Nice to see you back.
Speaker 16: Nice to be back, Marcus.
Speaker 7: I want to talk about Ben Bailey, a chef. I don't know him, but who had the restaurant that makes Mistakes. And I thought he did an awful lot for people with dementia and they had lost their self esteem. And I'm surprised he wasn't in the King's Birthdays sort of recognition.
Speaker 3: Well maybe, of course, there's a lot of people that might get nominated, but they might tune them down.
Speaker 7: Yes, but I think a lot of I'd be interested to hear what some of the listeners thought, because he's done an awful lot of people with dementia. It was just a fantastic thing to give them their confidence. He had them working in the front desk and waiting on the tables. What a wonderful thing. We've got a lot of people with dementia, and I thought it was this marvelous thing that he did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I I didn't catch any of it. It passed me by it, And I don't know if it will be something i'd watch.
Speaker 7: Oh, honestly, Marcus, it was wonderful and wonderful to see the way people got their people got this just to sept their confidence back. They enjoyed the company of people, and they did extremely well in the restaurant. And I thought, good on him. He's a chef. He didn't have to do.
Speaker 3: He's a good restaurant. I think he's got a restaurant in Auckland. I think that I've been too very good.
Speaker 7: Yes, And I thought i'd like to have seen him give him some sort of recognition in the King's Birthday honors.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, I'm sure.
Speaker 7: A lot of people will agree.
Speaker 14: With me on that.
Speaker 3: We'll see how they go, Geraldine, thank you.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I've never heard people come saying this person should have got the honor. You've got to drive it yourself a lot these days with honors, don't you. Always seems people say they're surprised, but they'd be in the background, gonde of advocating for it, haven't they. So I always thinks about to fight about it all holly good evening. It's Marcus.
Speaker 8: Welcome, there are Marcus. Yeah, yeah, I think the last cars might have been late forties.
Speaker 3: There any more recent than that, wouldn't they?
Speaker 8: Oh, I don't know about that. They seemed to driving up a bit quicker, but I had to. Morris had the suicide doors on it and the tootled windshield at the front. It was a nice little girl. Nam bought it for my first job, you know, to get to work. But I learned how to be a mechanic pretty quick. I got to set the tools at the same time, and every weekend I was more less underneath it. And one day it wouldn't start, So I got the crank handlet and craking away in it. Backfire or whatever they do and whack me in the wrist. I pulled the women crank handlet and went to freight at the bottom and downstairs. The bottom was right through the bloody windscreen. Special wind screen, because we just got more for the windscreen than what it did for the whole car. But it was a beautiful car that was racing green, but it wasn't very fast and liver upholstery and all that stuff.
Speaker 3: But now I what a suicide was that happened out.
Speaker 8: Towards the wind opened. Yeah yeah, but if you went down to pull you out of the car because they had no belt stack in those days either. But I was driving up fund the scorner one day and I went in and there was this eighth part of the nineteen fifty one, so I had to talk to me. So you to your deally to give you eighty one hundred pounds or something for the series E and give us eighty for the V eighth part of nineteen fifty one, and you can drive away. It's just the only thing that told you go was her radio. So I ended up going home in this V eight pilot. Nether than I'm a nice car. When you are, man saw that.
Speaker 5: You do?
Speaker 8: You figure you can handle it. He was driving a little way Humber fifty two.
Speaker 5: Did you do?
Speaker 3: Did I take an accent with your father?
Speaker 21: And I just put that on?
Speaker 3: Okay? I thought you thought Hungarian or something? Yeah, okay, you then we got no.
Speaker 8: But I had that for the VA pilot. But yeah, I think that might have been a cranker. Yeah, that was fifty one that I didn't have to crank that fil But yeah, that's the most story about cranking get tractors here, Matthew ferguson stuff like that. But you learned was if you didn't get your PUMBI out of the day man, you lose your tomb.
Speaker 3: The pilot's a Ford, a Ford pilot, right Ford.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but I think this one might have been an English one. But it had a twenty six, had American motor in it by Jack again, and the medal on it was a real metal Dick can I mention.
Speaker 3: Thanks for Harley. David Marcus welcome.
Speaker 5: Yeah, David here, just talking about crank handles and cars. The BMC Austin a forty Forina from about nineteen sixty to sixty three. It was called a forty Countryman and it had a lift back. The window went up when the towlgate came down. So it was a very useful car. But it came It was a front engine and it had a crank handle as part of the toolkit. And we actually we actually end up with a flat battery one morning. We're dead going to work. So he cranked it and thought, yeah, just like the old model A. But yeah, so that was the A forty Farina had had a crank handle in the early sixties, and you did you go to.
Speaker 3: Use it occasionally?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean it.
Speaker 3: Was it was the theory because the batteries weren't good. All the engines were a lot heavy to turnover.
Speaker 5: I don't know, I don't know. I mean the engine in the A forty Fourina was the same as the engine and the Morrison Austin eleven hundred, so yeah, they were fairly light, light engine, but there was no problem. It was just I don't know why they had a crank handle, but they did, had all the fitting there and yeah, so here we just put the handle in and spun it over and she started.
Speaker 3: And it's a bit like kickstarting and motorboard, so it's just like kickstarting like That's have been quite a satisfying way to start a car.
Speaker 5: Well, well, especially when you had a fat battery and you had to go to work and work at seven and so it was ideal. But he only used it once.
Speaker 3: Did the land drivers have Did the land drivers have crank handles? They must have, must they? Is that right?
Speaker 5: I think they did. I think the early ones did, but you never used them. I mean, they were sort of a standby with flat batteries and that sort of thing. So yeah, but the batteries weren't there great. You know, they didn't last. We went through a period, didn't we wear the batteries had a fearal life. But now we're in the new vehicles, with the with the Carfa that got stopped starting that they can go through batteries. You know, a battery in three years. There's been a bit of a change. But the old battery you get two years out of it or so. Someone else might have another view, but yeah, they went great, but then they were quite expensive relatively to what the battery is today.
Speaker 3: Agreed. Yeah, nice to talk David. Thank you some texts. Marcus, I'm pretty sure the Pugo for four had a crank start in those old was well, we always had a Pugo four O three and that was always a cranker. That must have been about nineteen sixty six, might be one or two years earlier. We hadn't got it new, but that would be occasionally cranked, was my memory of that. I'll get in touch yutill twelfth, Richard. It's Marcus, good evening, Hi, Marcus.
Speaker 11: I had a nineteen seventy six Citron Gus station wagon fantastic ided a ten to fifteen in it and it would start with the cran candle if you just about to do it one handed.
Speaker 3: The French seemed to like the crank candles.
Speaker 11: The French had some weird ideas. It was actually an amazing cardinal. Or do you know about the old Bradford vance you know, do you remember those Jevans horizontally opposed the equal motor and they were very popular, but the Ford company brought them out because it was competing with the Fords.
Speaker 2: And then.
Speaker 11: In nineteen seventy three the patent ran out and two car companies picked up. One was Citron and the other was Sabari, and that motor lived on for quite a long time after the old Brady.
Speaker 3: Did your Citrons? Yes? Have that also?
Speaker 11: Yes, he had had the bread you opposed, Well, yeah, it was. It was a force that the Bradford engine was a Tucson and the jow had a force on it. But they were they were sort of like a low you know, they were different to the volkswagons, and they had a very distinctive sound, sort of a poppies that little Citron ten fifteen move and you could cruise out at seventy five miles an hour.
Speaker 3: Did you always have to crank it?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 11: No, no, but it was bloody handy. I can tell you there are a few times that I was pleased to have.
Speaker 3: It because you left your lights on or on cold mornings, col Yeah it was.
Speaker 11: I took it up to a ski field once and they got it wouldn't start. Yeah, set over an idea. So but you know, I miss it.
Speaker 3: Actually again I'm missing and I think there's almost almost what. I got a feery meat or something and just crank an engine to tune something over to get it going again. Break my thumb.
Speaker 11: It's that sort of like satisfied feeling as you pull out the clan case and walk back and hop into your car and drive off. Something about it, because the other thing.
Speaker 3: Is that, because I mean it was always I often do it with motorbikes too, but very satisfying to to crash that engine, which no one can do anymore because is all the cars are automatic. You can't you can't start a car on a hill anymore. And that was incredibly satisfying to do. Timing it right before you let the clat and away. I mean tremendous when it engaged and you went.
Speaker 11: And then you get that sort of little moment of hesitation and she burst into beautiful.
Speaker 3: You don't get that on your cell phone these days on Instagram, do you. That's what they're missing, Textile things that you remember forever. What happened to you said, probably cost too much to make to keep maintained in it.
Speaker 9: No.
Speaker 11: A guy, a guy persuaded me to sell it to him. He was a fanatic, and I was getting a bit small for me, and because I had I actually got a boat, you know, I couldn't really tow the boat with it. So he bought it off me. And I kept bringing them up and asking about and yeah, they sell it, give me a call, but I never heard from me.
Speaker 3: I had mate with one of those old Citrons, you know, the station wagon, the earlier ones, what a I think it was called a Safari or something. What an extraordinary car that was?
Speaker 11: Oh yes, yeah, well yeah they were. They were much bigger car.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was the Dsafari, but that was because that was that had the evil looking front. But was the station wagon. And I mean you put your whole student loan through one of those and it still wouldn't go. Boy, they took a bit of maintenance.
Speaker 16: Do you know what I had.
Speaker 11: I've still got a Citron. I've got a a C five station mega now and I take it to the garage and you go in there sometimes and they've got a really mint version of one of those DS's, you know, and it's not meaning them about sixty grand, yeah, facts, no, no, sixty grand they were.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can imagine.
Speaker 11: Even those that all you know, the old you see these, yes, there was about twenty.
Speaker 3: It's Citrus Citrons still a big calm manufacture of their French scene their day. Is it all over filled Africa or their old cars, didn't they?
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mine my Citron. The seaside was the last one was the hydro and numatic extension. Oh yes, and now that, to be honest, they just rebadged the tabushies. Yeah, okay, which is sad.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, look, I think I think you could anywhere. I mean, no one's built a car that looks like a Citro, and those those earlier ones, those were just done.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The ones that looked like giant irons were just amazing looking. Yes, yeah, I don't know, and that's really good to drive. And they did the races and them didn't they because they they were smooth. You put the cameras on them for Scott Royal Escott and stuff.
Speaker 11: I think, yeah, well, I mean mine, you can drive over anything and you had you notice it.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 11: The Es like you were talking about were the first ones to come up with that what they called hydro hydro and pneumatic suspension and they just float.
Speaker 3: I wonder why I didn't catch on. Was it? Was it the maintenance problems with it or probably too expensive?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 11: Well, I mean my cars A two thousand and thirteen models, so it hasn't been gone that well.
Speaker 3: So yours are still yours of the last one? Would that still that technology?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 3: And when you turn the ignition as the car kind of lift.
Speaker 11: Up when it starts, it's sometimes does, but not as not as noticeably as it did in there, and that the yes, and those it comes up a little bit.
Speaker 3: And it handles juttabars and things like that and smooth them out.
Speaker 11: Oh yeah, you don't even know they exist.
Speaker 3: Brilliant, that's what that's what you want. Nice to hear from you, Richard, Thanks so much, evening, Norman, it's Marcus. Welcome.
Speaker 23: Yeah, good a Marcus. Look I'm going back many years. But I had a nineteen twenty nine Hudson with a you know, with the old starter handley. And I'll tell you what. I never used it once. Really no, I never used it once.
Speaker 22: And that car.
Speaker 23: If i'd have known more about it after I bought it, I would have I would have kept it because it was it was the one of the originals that went or that drove from christ Church to Achara, and that was its job.
Speaker 11: Yep.
Speaker 23: And it had the well I suppose you call them silver steps, you know you stepped on to get into the car. Yes, it also had a in the front. It had wooden covers that you operated from just a handle in the car, and that was to keep the frost out.
Speaker 3: I would have thought cars from that era would be cranks outed every time you used them.
Speaker 23: Nope. Well, and I'll tell you what it had. I don't know whether it was part of it. I'm not sure, but you could turn the key on and away she go. And anyway, at one stage there I couldn't get it to go, so I went to I found out that it was the Ford company that had the you know, their parts and that sort of thing back in those days, and they believe it or believe it not said to me that they had a very new start of motor sitting down the back.
Speaker 3: Goodness.
Speaker 23: So I bought the starto matter and as he said, you do know, he said that these cars have two stardom and I said no, and he said, well, one starts and the other goes into it. He said, I don't know why, but they did have two start them. Anyway, in the village. I ended up saying it and got nothing for it, of course, and a guy turned it into a truck. Well you made As far as I'm concerned, I thought that was good. And I also had a nineteen twenty eight Dodge sameful the thing, but they didn't have the extras that the other one had. And anyway, I thought it was just nice to let you know. Going back back par Yeah, they were quite long.
Speaker 5: I wish I kept it not to hear from you.
Speaker 3: Norman, Thank you sir very much. That twenty two to twelfth J Marcus.
Speaker 22: Welcome, believe me Marcus and Flowers. Well, I got to confess I was a very naughty schoolboy. My father had a one hundred e prefect and one day got very bold and somehow for crank handle got it going and took it to school. And it's only a fourth form of no license or anything. All the way over the wine knew he held to laugh, hut, great thing back. I used to drive it around. So I'm confessing my sons as a very naughty schoolboy. But it was a fantastic little caw thee hundred e prefect, little square one to remember those.
Speaker 3: One yep, easy to crank start.
Speaker 22: Yeah, it was really good. But he probably thought I wouldn't know what to do, and I'm not really mechanically minded, but I had great joy, joy riding around. Either knew going to college and name something home before he got back from work. They had to make sure I got home in time.
Speaker 3: Did you get caught?
Speaker 22: Confessions to everyone, It was a fantastic little car. Could you if you're your crank? And I really used to enjoy learning how to drive it. I never was taught how to drive and just did my best and hope for the best.
Speaker 3: And there you go, yell, didn't catch you?
Speaker 22: No, No, it's not alive any Also, I can confessed by sense to everyone who knows to go over the wine that we held was a big adventure and you didn't know really how to dribal. I never taught, but I was very careful. But it was just such a joy when you're young guy who wanted to get a car. So I really enjoyed it. And I've had some wonderful cars.
Speaker 3: Would you normally go to school on the bus?
Speaker 24: Yeah?
Speaker 22: Yeah, bus and train.
Speaker 8: Up.
Speaker 22: But I got a lovely cow these days. It's called a max I called it Maxi boy. It's a beautiful blue. Uh, there's a maximam boy. It's a flying machine of fish. Second year, just about lose your pants and your take off on it. Goodness, and I'm just doing that at the moment. Give me another radiator. It's wonderful to hear the guys sharing a different cars and my set for as. They had a Citron, an old Citron, and it's going to turn up the ony hell once the on every side and next minute the panels flying off from the engine flying back behind us. I got some great stories from the younger days.
Speaker 25: Yeah, how are you now?
Speaker 22: Yeah, I couldn't guess. I'm nearly seventeen. I've still got them here.
Speaker 3: I thought you might be younger day, but look lovely to hear. I'm going to take another break. It's nineteen to midnight evening. Brian as Marcus Welcome, Hello mircaus helly and good thanks Brian.
Speaker 24: I just talking about crank handles. I remember in the workshops we used to use the crank handles for setting the timing and the valve settings on the side valve and the overhead valve motors, so you'd have to wind the engine over to get the valves in the right position. So when they finally stopped making them, it was another option to get used the fen belt turn the engines over. But came back to the design of the crank handles, I recalled that they really needed a support on the crank handle, one up right by the crank itself by the front pulley, and back which was usually where it went through the front bumper or the front grille or something like that. So it's actually was had to be supported in two places. So I guess that's when the crank handles went out. When the designers came a factures changed their designs because remembering back in the in the late forties and fifties, they all had front bumpers. Yeah, and that was the outer position that the crank handle fitted through, and then it was supported again by another support just for the front pulley. Of course, the crank kendles were depending on the different models and so forth. They were quite different lengths, somewhere quite short and others were longer, depending on Oh so you.
Speaker 3: Need a particular you need a particular crank handle for your make of car, correct, Yeah, because of how far in they would go.
Speaker 24: Yeah, okay, exactly, yeah, And I mean some of them. I recall they used to have a nut that held the front pulley on and convery in which model was, but you actually had to take that nut off and put in the adapter that would take the crank handle only for service, not for starting, you know. And the other thing with the batteries you were talking about batteries and stardom motors. As the motives become more high compression and so forth, it was more difficult to actually start them on the crank handle. And that's when the start motives become more efficient, batteries become more heavy duty and so forth, and that's when they finally went out. But I think it'll be over a few years that they phased out with the different models and so forth.
Speaker 3: I'm sure there's be some people that wouldn't want to car without a crank because I'd still to thinking, oh well, I need that just in case. It probably was some resistance I could imagine, but like people going from manual to automatic, you know, some people still opposed to automatic cars because I think, oh, well, I'm not going.
Speaker 12: To lead it.
Speaker 3: Oh, I appreciate you explaining that to me, Brian, to thank you for that good evening. Jeremy, it's Marcus. Welcome.
Speaker 22: Okay, Marcus.
Speaker 20: I'm sure that one of my old vehicles down there in that museum in the cargol are nineteen twenty nine Dodge Brothers straight eight eight cylinders in a row, and boy, if you wanted to start that with a crank candle, you had to have everything in line because because you know what happened if you got it wrong, the crank would go the other way and break your arm.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I could mention, I could imagine you.
Speaker 8: Could do that.
Speaker 3: Did it do that to you?
Speaker 15: No?
Speaker 20: My father he's helped me when we bought I bought this vehicle. He'd had all this sort of car and he knew and he said, hey, you line it up this way and you just have to get everything just in line and then give it just one little and where did it go?
Speaker 3: Because you get that's like kickstarting a motorbiate. You get the feel for it. Don't you know when it's going to come around? Here?
Speaker 22: Yeah?
Speaker 20: Yeah, even my wife is here next to me in bed. She made it crank the bloodything.
Speaker 3: What years did you own it, Jeremy.
Speaker 20: I was just trying to work it out, and I think it was about nineteen sixty eight sixty nine. I was about eighteen nineteen years old, and it was an real Elliot Nest type, great big black thing with a big long bonnet and two spare wheels on the on the running board and that. Oh it was just the most beautiful car, which I still owned it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what she's saying, lucky.
Speaker 20: Anyway, another little track because I drove it. I drove it all over the place. We had to go over the hill to Gismond and we're getting near the top of the hill and it wouldn't go any in. My mate said, turn around. We had to back it up the hill because the petrol was in the back and the PETREL's room had to run back down to the motor.
Speaker 3: Goodness, oh well you're mad to sell it. You'll be nice to hear from me. Thank you. Seving away from twelve, Donald Marcus, Welcome.
Speaker 16: Hi.
Speaker 25: My father had a Mark five Jaguar. It's about a nineteen forty nine to fifty one model, not very common now, only made ten and a half thousand. Anyway, it had a crank candle and he had occasionally started with it and said it was to save draining the battery. They started in the garage, standing in front of the car, and just behind it was a solid foundation, concrete foundation. I was always scared that the thing would be in gear and they'd fall and pin them against the concrete wall. He quite often used to pull his starting handle and crank it up. That was a forty nine to fifty one jag Now I reckon starting cran candles went about during the fifties. He had Morris Minor convertibles. I think they had a cran candle. This was early fifties. But I've just looked up the history of box All cars Row forty five to eighty five and it said In December fifty four, vox All brought out their first Crest, which is a knee model. They called it, and it says, here's Boxel's top model and the factory's first model not fitted with a start handle, and that was a fifty four Crest. The wy the envelops were the same shape, so they presumebly had them.
Speaker 3: I wonder why your father was into Murray convertibles. What a strange car to be into.
Speaker 25: Well, I hated them too that I was only about three or four. I've got thhoes of me standing up with them. I don't know that people like Morris Miners. They reckon, they're great car.
Speaker 3: I'm not converted, not convertibles in this weather.
Speaker 20: Well this is in the fifties.
Speaker 25: Well, I've got those of me standing up in a convertible car with below and well, I don't know, maybe the summer's a devil in the fifties. I've got pictures of me as I had a three year old, standing up with head out the top in front of the new house. And these old Morris Minor convertibles I vaguely remember them. I think their little cow on the on the dashboards where the god box was. I think there was some little emblem there, but I think it started handled by the sixties or nothing. I don't think anything had to start handled by the sixties.
Speaker 3: I think I think our car did. Al Pugio did.
Speaker 14: It.
Speaker 25: My European cars, yeah, yeah, I think.
Speaker 3: The Citron and the Pugios used to have crank handles right up till about sixty five, and the larder right until the right larder right until the eighties.
Speaker 12: Larder yeah, yeah, they were.
Speaker 25: They were one two five feet shape. God, I drove one for a guy a few years ago.
Speaker 12: No idea about that. Look.
Speaker 25: Grandmother had a thirty nine Cries when I was young. They sold it when I was about seven. I remember clearly writing it. It must have had a crank candle, but I don't remember.
Speaker 5: I've got a.
Speaker 25: Thirty nine DeSoto sales brochure of all Things and Colors, my oldest brochure. There's no no mention or no provision in the bumper for a crank candle. Probably you could start one, I'd say, I think a thirty nine car, but bumpers of maybe you do it behind the bumper. You know, they were gone by the sixties. I reckon the most modern cars.
Speaker 3: You know, I'll try and find up. But thank you, Donald Andrew Marcus.
Speaker 16: Welcome, good evening, Marcus. It's Andrew, the audio's enthusiast guy.
Speaker 15: Hey.
Speaker 16: Back in the early eighties, my dad bought a farm, an old farm or tractor. I don't know what would that be, the big bread ones. I can't remember the years. I think it was probably the late forties or fifties. Anyway, I bought it an oxtion and pooka koe and we towed it down to Thames where we used to have a heart in the bush down we're near where the Swedes were murdered sort of thing, and we used to take it up this road and occasionally, when then it'd been a big storm, you couldn't get out of the road, but we could get up in the tractor. Anyway, when we bought this thing, it wasn't particularly good easy to start at first, and we were taking it up this road and my dad had to you know, it was just a crank start, and he went to crank it and it backfired and it threw the crank out. And I was just old enough, you know, really to remember. Probably it broke the fly and his genes, but he was still standing, so I guess it was a pretty close call, straight up true story. I remember him looking at his fly and his genes and yeah, he wasn't writhing around on the ground and pain. So how close could you have got to be honest with that? And I think with the larder, the larder Neva's there, four by fours. They still had a crank handle into the eighties. I think they still make the Neva actually, but they won't be crank anymore. But yeah, they certainly still had it into the eighties up to about eighty five, eighty six.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think eighty eight they went to.
Speaker 16: Yes, I think they did. Yeah, I've got one of my brothers, one of my brother's mate owned a place that did Italian cars, alf Romeos and fiates and that sort of thing, and they wrecked larder than that, and so they've got a far better knowledge.
Speaker 5: That from what I know.
Speaker 16: Like, we've had a couple of larders in the family, I think as well. I think we were not maybe not. We've had a lot of fiats and that sort of thing. We're all car enthusiasts and Nutters saw three brothers and my father. But yeah, certainly the Neha did.
Speaker 12: Yeah're right.
Speaker 16: I think it went to eighty eight eighty nine. The last ones they called a Cossack was the model they called them. But even a lot of people probably listening, I only know them as a three door, but actually in Russia they made a five door, so they made a four door body one and they.
Speaker 5: Were still around.
Speaker 16: I was still quite amazed. Yeah, a little while, a couple of years back, I saw them on the internet, so it's possibly they're still even going.
Speaker 3: But I'm going to go andry nights. Tot'll get it for me. People. Thanks for everyone.
Speaker 1: For more from Marcus slash Nights, listen live to news talks they'd be from eight pm weekdays, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio.