Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talk Seed B. Follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Take another Patrick, It is out, The test is over.
Speaker 3: Couldn't smokes a beauty? This is out here you guys.
Speaker 4: Just Delivery has in.
Speaker 3: User to Bold.
Speaker 1: On the Front Foot with Brian Waddell and Jeremy Coney, powered by News Talks Dead B at iHeart Radio.
Speaker 2: Hello on the Front foot once again. The hiatus in Test cricket, the World Test Championship having just a short break while we enjoyed the the lights of Rolder climbing on the Olympics and other fashionable sports that are being played at the present time. It's a month away from a test in India for the Black Chair versus Afghanistan. How close are they? Just settling the squad winter training at home. Teen twenties in America and Canada, they've got one hundred. In England. We're going to remember one of our greats from seventy five years ago, sadly a farewell to an English cricket rock, the death recently of for Graham Thorpe. We will talk about him as well. Some sad news too. As we look towards what is happening. Jeremy and Garth Galloway special guests once more with us that Nathan Smith, who must be coming into reckoning for the National selectors for international duty, is coming home from Worcestershire because of injury. Good thing to do, but it's not a good time to be doing it having an injury. I don't think Jeremy with so many games coming up.
Speaker 3: Good ay, Garth and Wadds. Look, Wor'stershare have really used him quite sensibly. I mean he's been opening the bowling I notice, certainly towards the beginning of the county Championship anyway, and that's when they were using I think was at the first two games they used the Kooko baro ball. But certainly he was getting wickets for Worcestershire. And as I mentioned last week, he can also handle a bat adequately as well, certainly in comparison to the rest of our bowling unit here in New Zealand with the red ball, O Rourke and Sears. No, they don't really offer a great deal with the bat. And then of course you know you're looking at Saudi or Duffy perhaps you know they don't offer much either at the moment. Maybe Shipley might. He's got some runs at first class level, but certainly not at the Test level yet. So you know, Nathan Smith could be an important character to be watching carefully.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's a tough time for him Garth because he really only just come off a year's absence for the game because of injury. That's the nature of the beast is that you do have injuries. But he's in New Zealand a consideration and he must be close to selection either Test or One Day level. I don't know about T twenty, but you know he's got to be there from what he's achieved so far.
Speaker 5: I agree, and I think he's done. You know, he's done very well for Worcestershire. He's taken twenty seven wickets and seven matches. I've left on the notes in the office, Watson Jerry. So if I'm slightly inaccurate, just you know, forgive me. But twenty seven wickets and seven matches at an average of twenty one, so you know, a really good return. Put some tent on the county averages in that Division One championship and he's got them at a good economical rate as well. I really like him. I see St Giles's, who's the general manager at Worcestershire and former English selector and English spinner, has published a statement saying that he's always welcome back at Worcestershire. It's a lovely place, of course, in a Jerry, I don't know if you played it New Road, but I was in Worcester coaching for years a year and it's of course got the association with Glenn Turner and of course Martin Horton who coached out here, the former England player. Lovely part of the world. So I'm sure Nathan Smith will have enjoyed it and benefited from it, but just not long enough for him. But I agree with you both. I think he definitely comes into contention. He's got a hamstring injury and judging by the fact that he's coming home, it must be serious. So again I wonder if that's because he really is genuinely in contention for these tests which are coming up in the not too distant future.
Speaker 2: Darth, can I just pick youre for a moment you said something slightly inaccurate. I can't believe that you're slightly inaccurate at any stage.
Speaker 5: Oh no, thank you, thank you, thank you very much. Well, Jerry picks me up occasionally.
Speaker 3: He was, he was inaccurate. It's twenty one point seventy five six, right, and you need to get that right. Okay, Now I do remember new Road Garth. I irritated all the rest of the bowlers, the whole bowling fraternity in one of the tours when I went there because it was it was a bit of it was a rough wicket and I managed to get seven wickets in the match and that put me right on top of the averages. So I was getting some horrible looks from all the ballers at the end of the series for the playing the off couldn't get the ball off me once. That's right, exactly interesting.
Speaker 2: Nathan Smith's got an injury there. We're talking about a World Test Championship. New Zealand have yet to pick aside. In fact, they've yet to confirm their contract list. Must be tough game for them. How tough is this year going to be? I see this as pretty important. We're fifty percent on the World Test Championship the moment. We've got three in India and three Tests in England Afghanistan don't appear in the World Test Championship. But it's a big year for this New Zealm, so doesn't it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, chores and I can't see them to be to be honest with you, and Jerry and I were lucky enough to sit in the studio in Eddington and do ball by ball and the last time that they were in India and and Wadd's you know it was it was pretty grim. Well they drew, didn't they They drew the That the what I'm just thinking Ptel picked.
Speaker 2: Up for you.
Speaker 3: They hang on. Yeah the first test, didn't they nine down?
Speaker 5: That's right? Yeah, but it was grim And I think these these three tests in India are going to be pretty tough for this side as well. Wads and Jerry and if you look at this silly competition, which you know relies on the winning percentage, I think our percentage will be dented after the India series in India and that makes those tests against England deposlutely vital. I mean, if they lose those three tests, you know their points will be down. They'll be at an average of thirty three that winning percentage or thirty three point three three three recurring Jerry, just to be accurate.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so you know, and I think it's going to be very interesting. Indeed, the attack that they choose, who will bowl at the at the start of the innings and are they going to play three spinners and they have to over there.
Speaker 3: Yeah. New Zealand have won three of the six Tests they have played. They now are confronted with against two of the stronger sides. England were at the bottom of the of the Test Championship becauds. They had played Australia in the Ashes and that was a tool wall draw and then they played India and India and they lost that four to one. So that's why are they were languishing. But now they've come up with the last two victories against West Indies. They are likely to do the same against Sri Lanka, so they will probably improve their percentage. New Zealand have got two hard ones, haven't they. It's not in conceivable that they might lose all six or they might not win one. In other words, it might be a drawer somewhere, if there's rain somewhere or something like that. If they can sneak through with a win somewhere. I think that would be pretty reasonable for a side actually in transition. I know they'll be at home. But England, look, you know, they could easily have won that Basin Reserve Test, even though lost by one run, but they I mean, that's how close it was, and they took a gamble. I could. I can see New Zealand, you know, not winning a Test. It is conceivable.
Speaker 5: I think England also the other thing, when you watch the way that they've played against the West Indies and some of the series against India where they were well beaten. In this series head after they won the first Test, you're seeing a side I think that it's changing a little bit in the way that they're playing the game. So we saw the helter skelter, you know, the stuff they call basball and all of that stuff, and it did seem at time, I mean, it was highly addictive but at times less effective, and I think that's you know, the Wellington Test is a really good example of a game that they threw away through through ego really and wanting to play in that way. And you'll remember Wagner took wickets in the second innings and he bowled short and he was. You know, they really wanted to take him on and had they not, I think they would have won the match. They're playing a bit differently now and if you look at the straight rates against the West Indies of their top order, they're quite different to what they were in the first you know, when McCullum first took over. That doesn't help New Zealand's chances in my view, and that's the point that I wanted to make. They're being a little bit more circumspect, but they're still scoring their runs at four point five five runs and over.
Speaker 2: We can't make our judgments against the West Indies, but they're going to be a better side with the changes that they've made in terms of personnel, and better side than what they had when they came out last time. They were surely Jerry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you know they're batting lineup with Root just playing way that he normally plays. He holds and binds, if you like that whole order at number four together. Poper's not playing so aggressively. I think you'll find Crawley will, but I think you know, with Brooke playing aggressively as he does, having the bowling services of the captain really helps, doesn't it. The whole side looks a lot more balanced now they're not having to make up and find another bowler. You know, Ben Stokes is there and he's bowling quite well, and so now they've also changed some of their other bowlers and they're looking very likely. Yes, you've got to always put it into context of it was the West Indies who were an inexperienced side. But let's see how they go. They're changing their side again, aren't they. For the Sri Lankan series that is just upcoming. Jordan Cox is coming and as the keeper. Whether he plays or not, I don't know. I would have thought Jamie Smith would have carried on myself. Olie Stone is a fast bowler who played against New Zealand and used to play for Warwick Shoes at Edgeburston. He's in for Pennington who has a bit of an injury I believe, and then Dan Lawrence. The interesting even I mean Dan Lawrence is to sit to open. That's that's interesting. With Crawley's injury. So you know he's normally a middle order player. I'll be interested. He's probably desperate to play. Went to India and he's been sitting around for the West Indies series play anywhere. Probably so. But he's a middle order and a bowler, isn't he as well? Part time bowler? Really? Well?
Speaker 2: The interesting thing is that they've had an injury to an opening batsman and Zach Crawley. They've decided, how will we go about replacing him? Oh, we've got down?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Why are we bringing a look at keeper as well? Because we've we've dumped he bears though, and poor old Ben folks well, he can't keep to save himself, can he? He can bat, but he can't keep. Oh if I got that wrong or somebody has. But anyway, they've got a new keeper as well. But I mean that all adds to what they've got and we'll get a good idea about England from Sri Lanka, who probably won't be any better than West Indies at three home matches, will they.
Speaker 3: I don't know whether you saw. I don't know whether you saw the ode I scores. Sri Lanka have been playing India, haven't they? They needed I think in the in the last match I saw they needed nine runs with six wickets remaining. They brought on a guy called Ringkul and he's never bowled before he got a couple of wickets. They brought in someone else, Suria Kumar, he was the captain. He got a couple and they ended up tying the match and then only scoring two in the super over, so they lost the game. It's not a good look. They're batting is awful at the moment, so they are going to have to really play well. I think to Test England. England are looking guys. They're looking sharper. There's a much more steely kind of look about them. I think a with the batting, which Garth's pointed out, but be their bowling is better with players like Wood bowling at ninety now and looking you know, he had been bandaged up. He looked like an Egyptian mummy, but you know he and Wood and Atkinson. Atkinson looks very tidy indeed, and then Stokes to follow that up who swings the ball and then this gliber shier and I think that they're going to be a much more difficult proposition this time around.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, when the first Test comes up against the Sri Lankan side, England will be playing due respect to a man who's been seen as a rock of their game. Somebody who is reliable and dependable and has passed away at an early age. I think he must have had a terminal illness of some kind. Graham thought, fifty five years of age, one hundred Test matches for England. We know, I'm pretty well in. He only made a few trips here, Garth and a cricketer whoever is what? Nearly forty five in Test matches? Great performer and sad to have been passing away at such an early age.
Speaker 5: Oh, it's terrible, it's really sad news. And played a one hundred tests, of course for England. A left hander who was you know, I will well remember him and we were all lucky enough to be broadcasting when he scored two hundred at Lancaster Park and that magnificent Test where as still got two hundred and twenty two in two thousand and two, and it was a quite brilliant hint things. I think people sometimes think of Thorpe as being he was a stoic and a great competitor. But he wasn't a dowdy left hander. I thought he was. He was an attractive player. He was a player of courage and just looking at his statistics one hundred matches, sixteen Test centuries and just looking and reading about him since he died one of his innings, you know, a Test match and pack Kistan and Karachi in two thousand when when England won that match and won the series against Pakistan after they had been unbeaten for thirty four Tests at home and they'd been beaten England five series in a row. And it was as England chased down one hundred and sixty or so in the fourth innings, it was the best of the players was Thorpe who got sixty four not out, you know, and again just reflecting on some of his innings against against Sri Lanka in Colombo where he scored one hundred and thirteen not out of magnificent innings standing out against a very good Tri Lankan side. And we talked about Sri Lanka earlier. I mean this was a Shri Lankan side that's very different to what we're seeing now. You know that magnificent batting lineup that they had, and you think back so fondy out of party, Jayasurias Thinkakara to silver, Jale Wardner, hell ofving it, hell of a side and the bowling attack wasn't bad either, with Bura Leather and Jayasuria and co. And just looking and seeing that he was a great player of spin bowling. He did well in India as well, and I think people will remember him fondy but gone far, far too early.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you talk about that game in christ Church, the Astill game two hundred and twenty two. We will never ever forget that. But you look at Thorpe's stats. So he got a double hundred, as you say, off two hundred and thirty one balls. He was in that partnership with Andrew Flintoff and in fact he out played flint Off. He was Man of the match for his two hundred. He had a strike rate of eighty six. Flint Off one hundred and thirty seven from one hundred and sixty three balls at a strike rate of eighty four. So he certainly played an important part in giving England that advantage that they had, because you know, I remember back to the first day. Wasn't that Ken's had three wickets before that even opened the gates to Lancaster Park as it was known in those days. Goodness me, it's gone for a few changes. It's Lancaster Park Jerry, I was reading on the stats that it's Ami Stadium that he played.
Speaker 3: Yeah, is that right? Yeah? No, yeah, well it certainly wasn't was it. No? I mean we remember it for the Astel innings, don't we, But you're right there was. I think also was it one hundred by Hussein in the first innings again for England. I don't know. I get a bit mixed up now, but I think the points that you've made fifty five just so young. Second thing I agree with he had the reputation as a tough player in the sense that he was you called him the rock Quads and right through those nineties which were chaotic really for selection of different players game after game in England. But he could defend and he could attack. I remember an attacking in as he played at Barbados where he just smashed West Indies. A fast pitcher, rough pitch, and he was known for his hooking and his cutting, particularly against the quick bowlers. Wonderful player of spin. Morally, of course, that innings he got in Sri Lanka, he didn't hit. He got a hundred, didn't hit a boundary, didn't hit a boundary, and so he he used to play with quite a small backlift and very strong wrists. So he became a very effective nerdler around you know. So the ball wasn't getting through at all. His bat was down always he was. He wasn't really a conformist. I knew. I knew saw Pee quite well outspoken, you know. I remember he dressed codes annoyed him like hell. He never used to turn up with the right clothes on for for England. He he once he he was. He fough against two dressing rooms for Surrey, one for the capped players and one for the uncapped players. And he fought like hell against that and made himself quite unpopular. He was against touring Zimbabwe, a long serving Surrey man with Mark Butcher good made of his one hundred tests averaging forty four. And that was against players like Moore. He's played against South Africa, Donald Pollock in teenee Pallas, I would have thought would have been there as well. Gars mentioned Murley and vas of course, great player of spin and always the last man to leave at the bar. You know, loved a good story, was he. Macram called him the most difficult batsman he had to bowl to, you think against the team against Ozzie that he played against those strong two thousand years, you know that year two thousand McGrath, Warren Gillespie, haunting you know, Gilchrist that that side, and yet was still able to average forty four man, you know, he he was. He was a hell of a player, and so yeah, he would have troubled relationships off the field. Used to talk quite openly about those, but just to you know, and people sometimes see that a weakness. I thought that completed the whole man. Actually, so I really enjoyed Thorpe and very.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we don't like we don't like conversations that are confrontational. We avoid it and the conversations that we should have.
Speaker 3: That's why you became a lawyer.
Speaker 5: I get made to be confrontational. I mean, one of these these are good stories that you're talking about with Thorpe. You know, he was a character and for English players to not like dress codes, you know, he would have been rocking the.
Speaker 3: Boat well yeah, you know.
Speaker 5: And and also the player. You know when he got those runs in Pakistan it was against the Lakes of Unice, and again Clay Mushtack and so on. You know, one very fine quick one lovely off spinner, and then I look at that that time you got those runs you talked about in Sri Lanka, England scored two hundred and forty nine.
Speaker 4: He got one hundred and thirteen not out Sri Lanka out for eighty one, and then England it was seventy four for six in the second innings to win, and thought got thirty two not.
Speaker 5: Out of those as well, you know, just in terms of incredibly reliable but also capable of lifting his game and playing attacking shops. Lovely player, square of the worker on the off side, beautiful card of the ball.
Speaker 2: He loved Wimbledon as well because he wore one of John McEnroe's throwaway headbands quite often, didn't he.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's always the shot of him with taking his helmet off when he got one hundred and he got sixteen of them, and he lifted, he had his hands aloft and you'd taken the helmet and there was the old, ever present, ubiquitous sweatband that he had on underneath. And you're right, but was he mackriman and Wakai Eunice Atherton spoke about him in his book too. I remember reading that and said, if I ever had anyone to go out and bat when it was tough, you know, if it was two for two hundred sorphy didn't you know, you know, he was going to be heading back to the changing room fairly soon after. But if they were three for fifty on the first morning of a Test, he was your man out. He would go, you know, and he would he would really, you know, fight for the wicket. So hell of a good player, nice person off the field, and quite devastating for a lot of those players. He became, of course the batting coach after he played for England. He became the batting coach for England, and he was about to join Afghanistan as the main coach when he became ill, and when Trot went instead of him. So yeah, so very sad news. Brian Waddell, Jeremy Cooney on the front.
Speaker 2: While we're remembering players we've played in the past, let's go back in time and again. This is slightly accurate because it comes from Francis Payne, and I would never doubt Francis pain in terms of inaccuracy when it comes to faction figures. We are in the seventy fifth anniversary of Bert Suckcliffe's first ever Test one hundred in England at Old Trafford one hundred and one. New Zealand made three hundred and forty eight for seven and it was against England in nineteen forty nine three day Test matchism when we played in those days. But I know Jerry will remember and Garth you will remember Bert as well as your father would remember him from the days in Dunedin, wouldn't he.
Speaker 3: In terms of Bert.
Speaker 2: Suckliffe, to my mind, I believe he is one of the most elegant players I ever saw bat and that was just part of the skill that he had as a best player.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean a fantastic player. And Jerry can talk knowledgeably about him and of course interviewed him and in his wonderful programs on New Zealand Cricket. You know he was a stall to the Northeast Valley Club in Dunedin. Bert loved the club, came down to Dunedin a few times after he had left and would always go along to the club and watch Northeast Valley. Fantastic player, lovely man. Of course, everyone will know the story of the tang Away disaster from South Africa and New Zealand now play for the tang away A Trophy and Bert's eighty nine out in that match in nineteen fifty three was one of the you know, the great boy's own stories. But he scored five Test centuries, three of them against India, two of them against England. And I think, you know, a truly elegant player didn't play in a winning New Zealand Test side. You know, that's hard to believe when he played forty two tests, highest score of two hundred and thirty nine out against India. One of our very best players, one of our greats, never had the joy of winning a Test match. But yeah, a wonderful man, of course, Emphasma godem He worked for Rothmans over the years and of course they have supplied him with par too much product and unfortunately, at the age of seventy seven, Burts have come to emphysema. But a wonderful human being, a lovely man, and one of our very best.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well I can't really add too much to that, Garth. I really like Bert and I don't know a person who didn't like him. Actually, he used to you're talking about the product from Rothvens. He always used to bring the cigarettes. And at the start of the day and all the smokers and the team would suddenly cluster together. They ran to that table faster than they chased the ball to the boundary, and they would get in there and get their packs of twenty and their whole sort of things that he had take. But he was such a nice fellow, that golden hair that he used to have, curly hair, good looking man. And he would just look around and he'd smile and say, well, the best of luck to you guys today. Wouldn't sit never sit down and interrupt anybody, wouldn't, you know, just wish us all well. And I had a lot of time for Bert. And what a player. You know, there's a difference between cricket players and you know, some people like me, I was judged by the scoreboard. You could see how I was going on the day because of the schoolboard. It was, you know, it was collected one run at the time, and that's how I was judged by that scoreboard. But there are some players who would score sometimes less than me, but you would remember their earnings so much more because of the way that they had collected those runs, the strokes that they had played burned on your memory. Now, Bert was one of those. Off driving was absolutely fantastic to watch, you know, there's it should have been worth eight every time, you know, rather than a sort of a fine edge from Coney through the slips for four. There's nothing, you know, it's there are some of those player. That's why Crow is remembered for those sorts of those lovely balanced sort of positions he took and the way that the ball raced off the bat without any seeming you know, power put into the stroke. And Bert was one of those. So yeah, wadds I don't, I don't really was that the Third Test? Were they playing at Manchester Watts? Was that that was the Third Test? Yeah?
Speaker 2: That's interesting. Yeah, three days Test matches they played in New Zealand scored three hundred and forty eight for seven on the last day, batting for five hours. Now we don't know how many balls suckle faced, but that three days play they bowled three hundred and sixty six overs in that it was a batting game. New Zealand battered twice, England about it once. Three hundred and sixty six overs in three days. Where have those records gone? Where is that gone? Wouldn't we love to have that average forty though Gathy mentioned that he never played on a winning side, which was tragic. I still haven't been able to find out why didn't play against the West Indies and fifty six, because he played the first two tests there. He must have been injured or unavailable for some reason or another on that occasion because he would have been in the front row basically of selections.
Speaker 5: Absolutely. Your dad always tells a story about Suckcliffe scoring one hundred against England for the MCC and you will have heard this when he's playing for a targo and Dad went in at number eleven and got a duck, the golden duck actually, and the crowd was still applauding. Suckliff had been out the player before him and he always talked about it being the only person to get a golden duck and still being applauded off carols Brook. But he was very fond of it. And the thing that you've you've touched on both of you, you know, but Bert talked to everybody. He was he was a wonderful human being. And I remember he came down for a funeral in Dunedin and he came out to home afterwards and sat down and I was, you know, sort of even more naive than I am now. And I sat down and asked him about fifty three and the Tongue Away disaster and he took me throw it almost ball bay ball, you know, and to talk to a young fella in that way and so kindly, and he said to me, you know, when Bob Blair came out to bed, he said, I don't mind saying I had a tear in my eye. And you know, it was a lovely expression of a New Zealand, of a proud New Zealand male who you know, was was happy to say that he had tears in his eyes when Bob came out. And I think the whole ground had tears in their.
Speaker 3: Eyes as well. He absolutely was. He was right around his head, yeah, yeah. And and they went off at nine down, of course, because that was the day of the Tanguwaire disaster, wasn't it. And the manager had gone and to tell Bob, everyone thought he was back at the motel. None of his teammates knew. And suddenly, if you at Ellis Park you come up from under the ground. And so in fact, as they were all walking off at nine down. Suddenly Bob sort of came up almost out of the ground itself underneath and appeared. And Bert told me about that in that interview and said he went over and put his arm around and said, what did you do that for you? And that is so so Bert, what did you do that for Bob? And then they went out, of course, and that's when Bob Bob. And then he said, you could have heard a pin drop at the ground. When Bob Blair faced his first ball at then Huey Tayfield, they hit him for six. Bob hit him for six, Bob Blair and then of course Bert cut loose, and then then Bob lad was stumped, wasn't he? And so they walked off together. They didn't go out and field, they both of them. They sat on chairs in the shower, in the shower and they just drank whiskies. And so that's how Bob sorry, that's how Bert finished the stories.
Speaker 2: That should have been my approach back. Perhaps I should have drunk a few whiskies. I might have played cricket a little better. I don't know whether that's the case. Lovely memories, though, of a wonderful man Bert Suckliffe, and we could go on talking about some of the things he achieved on the cricket field, and a lot of other cricklers. Of course, one of the great things about crickelers there are those memories around and we can thrive and live on many of those memories. But one of the memories we're going to have to wait for is the memory of the New Zealand cricket team to go and play Afghanistan in Greater Neider, Jerry. It's been confirmed that Greater Neider is the venue, so we don't have that side for a while. But I'm sure they will get a team picked and hopefully they all have contracts by the time they head off to great Annoiter.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, who knows what? Who knows? Look, I don't know. Williamson declared, you know, declined his contract on the nineteenth of June. I looked that up today, So that's seven weeks ago. Don't tell me the other players weren't talking about contracts as well at that time, because they will it, you know, on the tenth of July. We're now in August, aren't we Nearly the tenth That's when it was announced that Ravendra and sea Is and O'Rourke and Duffy, they're all offered it. You know, that's a month ago. Is that long enough to think an offer over?
Speaker 2: Well? I should think so. Sometimes in near future New Zealand Cricket may make an announcement about the contracts and the team they've selected to play against Afghanistan. It's a month away. Travel documents, I guess will be needed. Well. Test champion Ship back this week in the Caribbean and of course the England Sri Lanka Test. Thanks again to you got away for joining us and Jerry a bit of time to sit and enjoy the Olympics and celebrate the medals.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, what I do like that guy from Alexandra who plunges into that roaring water and that's it's kind of like a super smash down, you know, in the water, isn't it? Going through gates and hitting each other and that's extraordinary the whole thing. Anyway, I don't think I should have done that. Would you have? Would you have done it? No?
Speaker 2: It's a sort of knock him down as they come out in front of you, and the strongest man wins.
Speaker 3: It's right, it's exactly what it is anyway. Yeah, tests around the corner, tests around the corner, and you know that's great. I hope we get a chance to talk about the forty nine tour and a little bit more depth sometimes because it's not a tour that I think some of our listeners would know heaps about. And there was lots happening, some fantastic games there they had.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it was the starting It was the starting point for well, pretty much the modern game, wasn't it That everything sort of went back to what happened in forty nine. Yes, we had some tough years where we didn't develop the players through fifty eight and that period of time, but it was the basic starting point for our modern game. So yeah, there's a lot of good stories come out of there because you know, there's some wonderful characters and so yeah, they've passed away.
Speaker 3: Yes they have, and I must pass on once myself because I've been to go and get some something to eat.
Speaker 2: And much a bit of the Olympics, you know, the beach volleyball, which is one of your favorites, or the.
Speaker 3: Knowall and throwing boulders, throwing boulders to each other. Yeah, got a lot of funds this. If I can't get your little bit around you on your bed, here's me. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Cheers my Tho for the wages of summacing.
Speaker 1: Do for more from News Talks at b Listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on iHeartRadio.