Speaker 1: This is an iHeart Radio New Zealand podcast.
Speaker 2: If you're in the bush for two and a half weeks the West Coast or something, you're starving and.
Speaker 3: You called a Kiwi, would you eat it?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: Of course I would.
Speaker 4: I'd actually hunt it if I was if I was lost in the bush and starving. But if you hit one with your car, sure you're allowed to buddy.
Speaker 3: And you're not if you're starving.
Speaker 4: No, no, But what if you hit a deer?
Speaker 2: You know, if you're starving, probably wouldn't be driving you.
Speaker 3: Because if you're driving, you could just go to a gas station and get some snack of chank through drive through.
Speaker 4: But if you're very good to eat, can we start?
Speaker 3: Can we start the show? I know we can?
Speaker 4: Allowed to eat a swampin.
Speaker 3: No, let's roll the titles right. Welcome to the T A B Sports Cafe Nights. One of Tonight's special guests, Zim Zimbrook.
Speaker 1: I'm so excited time we're all here to talk to.
Speaker 3: Isn't he He's trying to work out he doesn't have Wi Fi, so so.
Speaker 4: He said, let's just get hold on Great, he said, yep, I'd love to come on the show. Rack yep, but I'll have to use dial up or my data plan.
Speaker 3: No, he's just called me on his phone.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I can't I use the five G because I'm not there.
Speaker 1: You've tried hard enough.
Speaker 4: I feel like there's a you don't need.
Speaker 3: The reason. The reason I wanted to talk to him was I thought it would be important to talk to someone that watched The All Blacks because there was a massive game All Blacks South Africa.
Speaker 4: Is he getting to do the show? Isn't he?
Speaker 3: Yep?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I thought he was because otherwise he would have paid his bloody data pain and he'd have been able to use.
Speaker 3: Five Yeah, I'm paying him to be on this show, even though he's not on it. But I'm not paying you.
Speaker 2: It's just interesting that we did about ten shows. I think that Mark and I is we did our.
Speaker 4: Own adah, it was all on five G.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, can I.
Speaker 4: Just even just the the phone bill? If you could cover that, it'd be kind of decent.
Speaker 3: Can I ask? Did anyone watch The All Blacks? Yeah? Yeah? Interesting? Interesting, very very interesting.
Speaker 4: I thought that bloody good Bye. I thought they were very good.
Speaker 2: My big thing I would interesting to get your opinion on.
Speaker 3: This, mate, is.
Speaker 2: Back in the day would well we're going from a place of knowledge. But the you know, back in the day, last ten to fifteen minutes, all Blacks would always put points on at least still keep scoring. Yeah, fifteen to twenty minute we go backwards big time, all right. And the thing is now, obviously they bring a lot of subs second half, sixty minutes. Whatever the problem there is, they'll bring you too many on the same time.
Speaker 3: Whether you think they're not even that.
Speaker 4: Tired, well, I think that in the in the you know, in the yester year, the game was quicker, that it was faster paced. It seemed like it flowed more scrums to be set and go down, and you'd be running the ball backward and forward, you know, for a long period of time. I know, it's pretty intense what's happening now, but you had the ability through fitness to actually come through at the end of the game. Yeah, But now now they're technically slowing it down, bringing on fresh people's it stops starting.
Speaker 2: Players aren't that tired now because the stop starts, so they don't need to be replaced. If you're not that tired, why why take four off? If you if you replace your first five at the same time, right as your half back, and it's like putting.
Speaker 4: On the intensity of it. These days, it's pretty full.
Speaker 2: Of leaves, the cohesion.
Speaker 3: Though.
Speaker 1: I didn't watch it overnight, which I feel really bad about, but I did watch the highlights and it was a really good way to watch rugby.
Speaker 4: It was really exciting, yeah, said a really.
Speaker 1: Terrible thing to admit, Like the game in fifteen minutes.
Speaker 4: Was really good watching the real game. That's cause basically you get the.
Speaker 3: Whole No, there was nothing. I got up at three o'clock in the morning, you know, make sure I got it. Yeah, the cheese on toast. I got up a ten ten two, so make sure I saw the anthem and the hacker and then and then fell asleep and then got back up, woke up again. Just the adrenaline and the experience of getting up in the middle of night, and.
Speaker 1: So with the haka was true that it was just the noise, like.
Speaker 3: I Ellis Park, like, you've got to love them. They're so passionate that South Afrian's if you noticed in the crowd eighty percent and when wearing Springbolt jerseys, they're so connected, they're so passionate. I mean you remember the wiel Cup final, our nuts and crazy. It's just the way Ellis Parker is. It's just total chaos, like the music's playing at the wrong times. Planes are flying over, the fireworks are going off. I don't know whoever's running the over. It's just insane.
Speaker 4: I hear Neil diamond line coming through. You know.
Speaker 3: So because we were planning any on, the show's not going. Well, he might be, but all the stories pretty much about Zinny. So this is when z an he kicked your ass in parallel parking. So Alice once again coming back in this time?
Speaker 5: Well you see.
Speaker 3: Okay, once again Mark Alice would the more perpendicular parallel parking.
Speaker 6: Ah, still on the curve, what's the ticket?
Speaker 3: Immediate pulling me off?
Speaker 5: It's disgusting. What's before and it's your own car. You can actually sleep on that game.
Speaker 7: Well, what's from the Tibet I've got three feet.
Speaker 3: And you had five.
Speaker 8: Look at that.
Speaker 5: Three feet as well.
Speaker 4: It's amazing trust to even argue this.
Speaker 5: Cheer watch out.
Speaker 6: That's three it is Please, that's about the woods of the match thing. There's some people dry matter you can't pack.
Speaker 3: Look, the show's pulling the partner's only just started. But we're good to have a guest that's got wi fi kaik france U see legend.
Speaker 5: Welcome to the board, mate, Thank you for having me.
Speaker 3: What do you like at parallel parking?
Speaker 5: Oh? Probably better than definitely.
Speaker 4: There's a challenge.
Speaker 1: What you.
Speaker 4: Haven't I haven't seen is actually the footage of what just occurred there. You've just heard wreck mumbling away in the background.
Speaker 3: So you just come straight off from Perth. We had a magnificent fight. You know, you must have been wrapped with that victory.
Speaker 5: Yea hundred percent.
Speaker 9: I was away from a sport for about a year, so nice way to come back, make a statement, get the bonus and get the wind in front of you know, not my country, but close close to the country, and a lot of keywis in Perth. So yeah, it's just satisfying to remind everyone you know, I'm one of the best guys.
Speaker 4: And tell me. One thing that is consistent across all combat sports, it seems, is that the people who rise to the top, have you done it pretty tough in their childhood and in the youth, there's something that is given them a real grit and a real motivation. And you know, I mean once they make it in one, they've Connor McGregor it, you know, they sort of lose that and that's when they fall off the top of the hill. Have you have you had a gritty upbringing? I don't know it, sorry, so I just sort of know.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that's yeah, that's a typical you know, fightest background, fighter story, you know, rags the riches, you know, kind of struggled and then for adversity built character and then yeah, rise is the top. My story is a bit different. All my family's gone to university. My brother and my dad are both lawyers. Soccer was my main sport growing up. I went to Mags and I was in the football Academy. So at a young age, you know, that was my dream to be in All White. But I guess I learned early on that it's a tough sport to make it At soccer, there's so many people that play and I was good, but I wasn't top tier. So I wanted to kind of play a sport, not a team sport. I wanted to play a sport where it's all on me, and that's what I found fighting the ultimate, the ultimate challenge.
Speaker 2: But that's sport, wasn't it your one? I mean not just has them competitively, but literally, you know, in the moment, you've got to really put yourself out there.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's just about being present and facing affairs and walking towards courage and that self doubt, that negative talk or the head noise blocking it out. So I kind of fell into the sport. I used to get bullied a lot in high school for my size, I guess, being the shortest, the smallest kid in the class, and people saw that as a target. And yeah, I used to get bullied. I'm so bad I stopped going to school for a while.
Speaker 4: And then yeah, so is that the motivator? Is that where it comes from? Because that's an extraordinary story to be from, you know, a privileged background and rise to the top and fighting you're certainly you know, zigging when everyone else is egging, you know.
Speaker 9: Yeah, definitely I had. I had a chip on my shoulder, not to prove to anyone else, but to prove to myself. I very competitive, competitive. I'm youngest of five so older siblings.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 9: I always wanted to, you know, like shine in my family, and fighting was my vehicle. But yeah, I guess at a young age, I learned that this could be my path and I just kind of ran off it. You know, think about fighting as you're fighting someone similar to your size. So I knew I was going to make it a rugby that was never my sport. All my older brothers.
Speaker 5: Played rugby league and I kind of stayed in my lane.
Speaker 9: But yeah, definitely had something to prove and yeah, look where we are, Look where we are now.
Speaker 1: As a student, is it something that was that you started at school or do you to go to a club outside of school to start your fighting?
Speaker 9: Yeah, so I started at this gym called Strike Force. I started at ten years old. So I walked into my first gym with a friend, just doing kids classes. We pretty much just played bull rush and I went there for the game. So it was a it was called to, you know, see what we're doing and like mostly just grappling jiu jitsu on the ground. I guess holding people down. That was more the stuff we were doing back then when I was so young.
Speaker 5: And then when I.
Speaker 9: Got bullied, that's when I walked back into the gym and my parents wanted to I guess, and saw more confidence into myself and yeah, just to be able to walk into a room and hold yourself, to hold your head up high kind of thing. And like I said before, I wasn't doing it for anyone else. I just wanted to test myself and that's where I was finding, I guess, turning my something negative into something positive.
Speaker 5: So had my first fight in high school.
Speaker 3: If you obviously by getting that confidence, have you had the opportunity to resolve that with the guys that bullied you or the people that bullied you, you that sort of hit a quiet chat to them and.
Speaker 4: See that's the Italian then you coming out, isn't it what?
Speaker 3: I'm just interested. Have you had the chance to catch up with them? I'm saying, how's it going?
Speaker 9: I have bumped into one of them actually a few like two years ago. He came up to me. I didn't recognize him and put on a bit of weight and he's he's a trade and he looked at me and say, hey Kai. I was like, hey, bro, do I know you? And he's like, yeah, it's me. I won't say his name, it was me from high school.
Speaker 5: And then it brought up so many memories. I was like, bro, you know how much.
Speaker 9: Trauma he caused me. But hey, I'm not a person to hold onto things.
Speaker 5: I let it go. I don't. I don't forget, but I don't I forgive.
Speaker 3: Chat to you to work out how to do that, because I haven't managed to do that yet.
Speaker 4: Know he's got an anger management problem once and can I tell that?
Speaker 3: Sorry?
Speaker 4: What the one where the guy was melting off and he was he's an American guy in a bar and he was just yeppy like Americans can be. And ye took it and took offense at the fact that this guy's yeah, hey guys, you know, look at me. So he went up and see the guy just tied it down a bit mate, and he said push off, and so ricks not of them, and then we'd beat a hasty retreat. And even if it's not even if somebody just pisses you off, he used to get fire. What about the poor Chinese man, the bloody harbormer.
Speaker 3: I didn't throw him off the wharf and he was Japanese.
Speaker 1: Much how much damage can you do to the opposition when you're what can what can take place? And I'm new to the sport again. Before the fight gets stopped what what can, what can, what's legal and what's illegal.
Speaker 9: So there's a few ways to win, so by a knockout or tiko technical knockout. So that's when the rest steps and he's told the guy to defend himself and he's not defending himself safely and he's kind of looking for a way out. There's when the riffles step in or if he's just he's knocked out. And then there's a submission. So if you get someone in a I guess, a checkmate position where they have no choice but to tap, I guess, and tapping means that you've you want to the rest to jump in or if it's a choke, it will go until either you're tapping or you're just going to go to sleep, and then the other ways by decision.
Speaker 3: So by points, I'd quite like you to try the submission one on Mark sometime. Would that be possible?
Speaker 4: You have to catch me. I can still go right.
Speaker 3: You'll have to excuse us because some of these items might not really We've got some video items on the show also for the podcast, and they don't really work because the sin Zen's not on the show. But I can't really say do you remember the juice rooms that twicken them in nineteen ninety eight, that wouldn't really be appropriate. But seeing you don't remember them, this is what it looked like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's nice to see the white supremist between two brown boys there, you know, Goldie. So he looked like something out of Hit the Youth, didn't he with them?
Speaker 3: I told you you can't say that.
Speaker 4: He like, we've called him that nickname for a long long time.
Speaker 3: You have, Yeah, so that was it doesn't really work with any not on the show.
Speaker 4: I remember you remember back in the earlier nineties when they had big square bards where you had the literally half the half the team and a bath. Yeah, those were quite that's quite weird. That was weird?
Speaker 5: Was that was that just?
Speaker 3: That's that's how they didn't have That's how you sort of just after the game, how you washed off. No, Yeah, they were hot barths, the hot bars, and you you could be in them by yourself if you wanted to be, or you could share them with two other people if you were.
Speaker 1: That normal showers Are you saying that's how people they had showers?
Speaker 4: That's reck story. I don't know. I was back in the day when they had the big square bath, you know, which was like a massive in bath.
Speaker 3: Do you have showers in UFC guy and the locker room? Send us bath?
Speaker 4: What do you I need to get the question because this is an important man to speak to. What is what to your success? What does it smell like? Is it you know, the number one championship belt, the title? And when do you because if you're you're approaching this differently than the vast majority, when do you pull out? Because I suspect you're not going to wait until you fall off the wave. You're going to jump off at some stage if you achieve all the things you need to Good question.
Speaker 5: Yeah, definitely good question. It's a good question. Yeah, thank you, deep question.
Speaker 3: Actually time for the answer.
Speaker 4: No, no, sorry to keep going.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah, there's a life after fighting, you know. I know that there's a shelf life of how long I could do this. I've been fighting professionally since I was seventeen, so I turned thirty one this year, so a lot of ring time, a lot of experience. You're luckily I had to take it too much damage. But also I'm here to fight the best guys, like I know I can be a champion. And I've got teammates in my gym constantly reminding me that it's possible. You know, Israel Adasagna, Alex Wolkonowski, guys that have you know, done it, who have climbed the mountain and have defended and stayed on top for a long time. So I know that I can, I guess, be on that same path.
Speaker 4: You know, really impressed by And I know that there's a show out about your gym and seems that the champions behind it must be one hell of a leader, because all you guys are really humble, really eloquent, really well spoken, really considered, really smart and intelligent. It appears, you know, which I think would be a rarity in the fight world generalizing, but you know, there wouldn't be many gyms where you get assuade of guys like these guys who are coming out representing us so well.
Speaker 3: Is that because of the culture of the city boxing. Is that because of the people that you're around, oh one hundred percent.
Speaker 9: You know, Eugene Bem and our head coach, He's created this environment where you thrive and you have your priorities are in check, and if you're not here to get better, that you're in the wrong place, like you're constantly trying to upscale and improve, and it's like a massive full circle. I think early two thousands there was a massive wave of combat sports coming out of New Zealand, you know, with K one booming, all the heavyweight boxes doing really well, and now it's full circle for the UFC fighters in New Zealand. So yeah, it's amazing to see so many people. And you know how father Sport has come to New Zealand because is pretty amazing.
Speaker 4: Speaking of tough guys and great fighters, the k One Jason Sutty, this is a good story. I'm driving around Green Lane and I cut him off and he honks a horn, and so I just flick the bird and just quiver it out the back window. And then I get stuck down going onto Green Lane with all the cars lined up, and I look out the window. I see this huge, big feller tearing down and I've just my arm in the cast and so I can't get to lock the door quick enough and he just rips the door open and he goes.
Speaker 5: Thank God for that.
Speaker 4: I just shut my eyes. I thought, oh, this is going to go black really quick. And he remembered coming on the show and then you phoned up a while He said, I'll tell you what. Your mate just about got fucking clocked, so you'd be careful with her. You give the bird to around around or from these days or anywhere, don't do it. If you're going on to an arm rent with there's lots of cash, just don't do it. And I always locked your doors.
Speaker 5: How did you break your eyes?
Speaker 4: I had a a somemb Yeah, it's a silly story that as well. Some came off after I lost again Pemba and I punched the whole of the wall and I hit the joist and it twisted my thumb.
Speaker 3: And yeah, but it's me with the anger issues.
Speaker 4: No, it was more to Las.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when you first got called into the UFC. Do you remember that moment? It was all over social media where sitting down and watching the video and down to White says you're a UFC fighter, you know, to talk us through that moment.
Speaker 9: Yeah, So I guess they'll lead up to that. For ten years in a row, I was riding, you know, b UFC fighter.
Speaker 5: That was my dream.
Speaker 9: So twenty eighteen, i'd just done The Ultimate Fighter season twenty four. I didn't get picked up to the UFC after that show. I was only knockout on that show, so I thought that was enough. And then I came back to New Zealand and I turned up to City Kickboxing and eugenail coach. He just said turn up and the rest will take care of itself. So two years later, I was on a five fight win streak, just waiting for that call, waiting for Dana to give me a shot.
Speaker 5: I thought it was my time, and I was like, come on, like I'm money getting older now.
Speaker 9: I thought this was going to happen, and then Yeah, Eugene surprised me and saying we're doing a thank you video for everyone that's been helping off the fight camps because some of the boys had just fought in the UFC. So I walked into the gym thinking it's just a video for just to say thank you, and then Dana pops up and then he says my name. He says, hey, Kai, welcome to the UFC, brother, and yeah didn't really register until Eugene actually hugged me and he said you're in bro.
Speaker 5: All that hard work is all paid off.
Speaker 9: And the waterworks started, you know, because I'd work so hard for this and to be so close for so many times but not get get it, and then finally, yeah, it was. It all happened for the right reasons in the right time. You know, I wasn't ready when I was a bit younger, and in the UFC, you're only going to fight the best guys in the world. This is there's no time to have a warm up fight or a tune up fight. It's you're in the deep end. So I was more than ready for it. Twenty eighteen, uc Adelaide Mark Hunt's last fight in the UFC. My debut ended up winning five the night, so I've got a fifty K bonus and yeah, a big one to start off my UFC career.
Speaker 4: It seems like said he kicked boxing as a team, you know, I mean, it's an individual sport, but you know, if there was a team award at the Hellbergs, you know, I'd been nominating these guys because they obviously are so tight.
Speaker 1: The women just as competitive as the men. Is it the same, same, same.
Speaker 5: One hundred percent?
Speaker 9: The girls then not normal, They're not normal at all. They're the regulators any like new guys that I guess of trying to make it in the sport. You just get the girls to get in the ring with them and they'll let you know if you're ready or not. Because these girls are normal, they do.
Speaker 4: A voice of sanity.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but yeah, it's a team sport.
Speaker 9: Like the thing about fighting is you're in there alone, but you need a team to prepare you, to push you past your limits. And spiring is very I guess it is hard, but there is a time and place for it, and it's and it's controlled, so you know, we get in different looks. That's something that we're really good at and our coaches are the best that is breaking down fight footage. So I don't personally watch my opponents. I just leave it to my coaches. They break it down the habits or tendencies that your opponent does, and then we can get a guy that can simulate that or give me that lock inspiring and then you know, for the for the next twelve weeks building up to a fight, we're really fine tuned. Some think that will be happening in the fight. So that last fight against Steve ver Sick, everyone thought I just have the right hand. You know, I've got twelve or thirteen first round knockouts, and the right hand usually lands, but this time was the left hand. So something we worked on a lot is just to be set everything up. You know, it's a lot. It's a lot more detailed in what people usually are looking for. They just say, oh, he's just you know, setting up his right hand.
Speaker 4: But you don't watch any of your opponent's actual fighting.
Speaker 9: Not really, No, I'll watch it if it's on. It's going to be a I think it throws you off. It throws you off if your opponent changes.
Speaker 5: Think about me.
Speaker 9: I just focus on what I can control, and that's just myself. It's that's fighting for me, me against myself, and what helps me kind of makes sense of all of that is tapping into my culture, tapping into that warrior version of myself, you know, me being a family man, you know, husband and brother or father. I leave that to the side and when I step in there, I'm just that warrior version of myself.
Speaker 4: Well, the palms are doing poked out muskets that much. We do know when we.
Speaker 3: Talk about team culture and stuff, you know how important it is to be that sense of belonging, that sense of being in the team maka. You had that with the Otago boys. Yeah, you know in the late eighteen hundreds.
Speaker 4: Don't say that.
Speaker 3: Okay, well had that with the Otago rugby team. And you've just come back from a because this is what you'll be doing in about thirty years time. It's having reunions.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, thirty years ago, forty years thirty years mate?
Speaker 3: Was it thirty years ago? Otago beat the spring Box? Tell us about the reunion.
Speaker 4: Dave later organized that we went down to Otago h Dunedin to have a few beers and celebrate the winning of the spring Bok head. So we had the Springbock Kid with us and we went to a local bar and there about ten of us and then some for some reason, we ended up in a mini van out of Point Port Charmers, which is basically with the Salty Sea Dogs of Dunedin live. So we ended going into a bar and they said no, sorry, mate, private function. There are only ten people in there, probably could have fitted about a hundred, so they just didn't really want anyone else in there. And then Jamie Joseph old Flyback walked in and they recognized him and so they let us in and we ended up having a wonderful night. The people who were.
Speaker 1: There fly back as a form of bullying.
Speaker 4: By any chance, he's got a harry back like back beat.
Speaker 3: Many fack.
Speaker 4: Fly back as a term of endearment. I mean, not all of us can be that Harry anyhow, the most eclectic mix of lovely port charmers, champions, men and women. And we had a wonderful time just mat her away.
Speaker 3: And that's good, good mood because Lee, you spent some time down with the Highlanders and we're going to have a lot. This was just a while ago, is it. Yeah, yeah, when you were at the job in TV. All right, okay, life.
Speaker 10: Of the roaming sports reporter it's not always an easy one. You'll learn that it's about flying hotel rooms and of course research who the Highlanders playing again this.
Speaker 5: Weekend Queensland reads, I believe.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 10: I think because of my own exciting sometimes birthday and rugby career, a lot of these guys find it.
Speaker 3: Easily to me than other sports carters. I can't talk to them again, Like.
Speaker 5: When interviewing the sports it's important to make them feel of ease.
Speaker 3: With the very first question.
Speaker 10: I'd like to do something nice and comfortable, make some relax.
Speaker 3: Do you like cheese?
Speaker 5: I like those ones you unrepped sandwiches. Yeah, yeah, No, not the widges, the sort of cheese another.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, okay, I think that pretty much covers it. The way the guys are falling on the ball now, it's definitely that.
Speaker 8: One, you know, because if you see it conventionally on the side of the ball out, then they can come from as long as they're an on side position, come and get it.
Speaker 3: Get it.
Speaker 8: Even though it looks a bit rude, you can cover up for at least two or three seconds. By so I've been a time and then just pushed the ball out.
Speaker 3: They'd be on Missuslita's cat. Good morning.
Speaker 4: What would you like to pre sud?
Speaker 5: Just whatever's most expensive?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll probably edits out anyway.
Speaker 10: But but then you like to say hello, do or anything?
Speaker 8: Well, I've never had a chance to say how, just I just like to know how markers and and that serious eye injury.
Speaker 3: That you hear, Yeah, that's quite briotialing.
Speaker 5: The word is down here.
Speaker 8: He was obnoxious as usual and got smart to someone and they and they popped them because you know, he's a bit of a Pip squeak and he probably deserved it. And now he's not dying is here or something?
Speaker 4: When he missed a guy and I like to get down.
Speaker 10: There's any advice I could give a young up and coming sports reporter, Probably take your time, give your finger on the pulse, and be organized.
Speaker 3: Mister.
Speaker 4: I was staying at the Southern Cross Hotel. It hasn't changed. And how long ago was that? That was like a long one?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well that was here. Here we go, you're here.
Speaker 4: It's a bit rich for a grenade face to start, bloody foreign guns and a glasshouse.
Speaker 3: Isn't it? Can you use people's proper names?
Speaker 4: Don't hat here? Grenade face, first base face? There was another one. I do love it. I do love It's all about breaking people down. It isn't the team environment. You know, you a mock everyone and then build them up.
Speaker 3: Was that your job? Oh yeah, getting away from Mark for a bit, the whole promotion of finding you know, the whole sort of you know, getting up there making these bold statements calling people out. Hey, what did you say?
Speaker 6: Sorry?
Speaker 3: Mate?
Speaker 4: I just heard what I was just a flash. I was thinking, actually, think I'm going to I've got to I'm sitting there. I couldn't hold a couple of weeks.
Speaker 5: Okay, fly back so good.
Speaker 2: Sorry, Sorry, that would be a good progress for the For the podcast, we're just using a monologs.
Speaker 3: Oh, now that Matt's out of the room. Back to my question, the whole promotion, the whole putting that persona on. You know, how does that sat with you?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I guess.
Speaker 9: I guess you just got to be yourself, be authentic. You know, you can put on this act or this mask or the face and try to go down that way, but it's hard to keep it if it's not If it's not you, I guess people can you smell it and call it out.
Speaker 5: But you know, I'd love to see Lee's press conference. I think it could kill it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I started ten years old myself.
Speaker 2: I went to gard class.
Speaker 4: Me and the mate went along.
Speaker 2: We went to go about twelve of us ten years old. We got kicked down actually for farting kept. I suppose he was a Chinese guy. What I mean by that is it was an Asian.
Speaker 1: Kicked out for not controlling the sphinx.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, because we went to do these breathing exercises and we kept fighting. Actually, I think my mate shouted Actually yeah, because.
Speaker 3: They were doing this stuff.
Speaker 4: Well it's fair enough, you know, medicine ball.
Speaker 3: Shows going to it was sorry, that was quite a normal question.
Speaker 4: And you you you got any riddling on me?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Imagine imagine you got some in the car.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Can we give a five minute break? No, because you know I'm just going to have to scull us. I've got to sedate myself.
Speaker 3: You used your culture and in your in the pre fight it was awesome.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, something I don't really plan it. I just tapping when when it's nearly go time. You know, fight with such a beast in itself. You know you're doing forty fifty interviews a day, the travel, h you know, the training obviously building up to the fight, and then your way cutting. So I don't walk around my fight. Wait, I'll fight out fifty seven. I walk around about sixty seven. So about twelve weeks I cut about ten kg's to make that.
Speaker 3: And there we're talking. Yeah, you dropped t kg.
Speaker 4: Well how do you drop about forty seven? Would be I think the question Rix asking.
Speaker 3: Before Christmas preferably.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's going to put it on. He just doesn't how to drop it.
Speaker 9: Yeah, well the beers aren't going to help, so thore the first thing you've got to put down.
Speaker 3: That's gone. That's not the fuck.
Speaker 4: I'm not going to get a sex fect beers.
Speaker 9: Wait, cutting it takes. You just got to give yourself enough time. It's like, you know, cramming for an exam. It's never going to go well. So the same as darnings, give yourself the most time the all.
Speaker 5: What's that cheese?
Speaker 3: Cheese? Cheese? Mean it's protein?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, no, you can have cheese. It's just got to be what I guess, the weight of it.
Speaker 3: So did you say that you were you fight at fifty seven killers kilograms.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so thirty one years old fighting at fifty.
Speaker 4: Seven So mate, that's if you ever ridden a horse.
Speaker 5: No, but I've been told I could be a good job.
Speaker 4: Michael Walker to have been around about that.
Speaker 1: The year that you've taken off, was it for a sabbatical or was it for another reason?
Speaker 2: Was it like?
Speaker 9: No, that was I had a concussion. I had a bad, bad head knock. I was actually seeing So I worked with the I work with the Warriors. I'm in their wrestling coach. So I've been on on board for the last two years, and I went through their concussion specialists, through their resources.
Speaker 5: We be the coach. He said, well, whatever you need, we'll look after you.
Speaker 9: So pretty pretty lucky to have them to you know, tap into and James Cunningham was a guy I was saying, he's seen a lot of all blacks, seen a lot of warriors, a lot of rugby players.
Speaker 5: So I did a test.
Speaker 9: It was like three hour in an exam when I first got their head knock and then I was just inspiring. Same week my second son was born, so probably not sleeping back and forth from the hospital and then yeah, brought on all the symptoms. So I had what I felt nauseous, I felt drunk obviously, wasn't drinking, sensitive to light, really disorientated. And that was for the whole week I didn't sleep. And then yes, I saw this neurologist and I did a.
Speaker 5: Three hour exam.
Speaker 9: So I was doing puzzles, memory tests, and I was scoring I think fifty percent for my age and education and what I should be hitting.
Speaker 1: When you've had a concussion like that, is that something where they say if you get knocked again, I mean, obviously you go straight back and bring you've had another big fight.
Speaker 6: Is there?
Speaker 4: What happens?
Speaker 1: What's the ongoing process with a concussion?
Speaker 5: Do you just have to boy forever?
Speaker 6: Or no?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 9: So this this was the neurologists, I guess advice. You said, let's just take six months off contact, so just work around what you can do your drilling training, you know, cardio conditioning, but let's just not get hurt while you're recovering.
Speaker 5: And I just listened to that.
Speaker 9: So six months later we readid that test. It was like a three hour exam, and then I was heading ninety eight percent of for my age in education.
Speaker 4: So well, it's easier doing a test a second time, the same.
Speaker 5: Question, different questions.
Speaker 4: Pass my exams at varsity of the third year.
Speaker 3: But you go both to ways.
Speaker 2: Can't you hear about these people who get a big head knock or maybe get struck by lightning something and all of a sudden, like a savant, they can recite the New York phone Book or remember old Lot.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, well that's it. The lady in America, this is quite funny. We've got to find some footage of this. She fell down some stairs and hit the head, and she's white as that sheet. But she speaks for the Chinese accent, which is delightfully amusing combination. But she's just the accent, just the but she also, yeah, I mean speaks like a Chinese person speaking English.
Speaker 2: What's a driving.
Speaker 4: Laugh?
Speaker 3: Because that was a test you would laugh exactly and you failed.
Speaker 4: I'll always I'll laugh at I'll laugh at you know, fat white people like you and skinny white people.
Speaker 3: You laugh at anyone.
Speaker 4: I'll laugh at anyone, including myself, more more of myself than so I'm allowed to laugh. What's wrong with that?
Speaker 3: Okay, that's fine, Okay.
Speaker 4: It's quite funny.
Speaker 3: We're don't get too defensive.
Speaker 1: I've got Yeah for a thirty one year old, you look from a box that you look remarkably unscathed. Have you actually suffered.
Speaker 3: Many good questions?
Speaker 4: Good question, great question.
Speaker 5: No, I guess the biggest I was knock the biggest one I've had besides that. Coliflyer is yeah, not really being pretty lucky.
Speaker 4: I guess the is sort of like a red back spider, isn't. It's like the red cross on the back. It just warns you that there are any mem.
Speaker 5: A fighter, either a or a halfback.
Speaker 4: Half backs do they have cauliflowers not necessarily right, rider makes it and you're certainly not the size of the prop. So if I saw you'd go he can scrap number eight.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It's like in the olden days and the olden days, if you saw a guy had a tattoo, you wouldn't go fucking near them because they were tough. Now everyone's got a tattoo, you know, and not not all of them. Everyone's got a lovely sleeve. Look at that.
Speaker 3: They're like that, should we people have a toughness test before they get a tattoo? Is that what you're saying?
Speaker 4: Well, they did back in the day, right, Like a salty old sea dog with a tattoo of an anchor on his arm, You wouldn't give him ship, would you?
Speaker 3: Gui?
Speaker 4: What about to go had cut along the dotted line on his neck?
Speaker 3: No, I wouldn't give him either.
Speaker 4: About to drop? Okay, you give a guy Chinese proverb? But what about a the double carp sleeve? You see, like the cockfish, the double carp you know, I've gotta made it. Turned up with one of them the other day and it's a it's a Chinese cockfish. You've got two of them on your arm and a full sleeve. It's not you know, there's nothing good about that.
Speaker 9: I met a guy that he was half American half Korean, and then he went back to Korea and.
Speaker 5: He had some which half.
Speaker 9: I'm not too sure, but what he had a Korean tattoo on his arm, a Korean writing and he went to someone he said, oh, yeah, it's cool.
Speaker 5: It means honor. And I said, not bad. He said, what do you mean, Yeah, that means not bad.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Like the UFC phenomenon is something that's sort of, you know, really sort of just amazed me, you know, being around for a long time.
Speaker 4: And the worst tatty you've ever seen?
Speaker 1: Can I ask my question, amazing, it's pretty pretty beautiful.
Speaker 5: I quite like a good tattoo, you do.
Speaker 4: What's the best tattoo you've seen them?
Speaker 1: Anything that someone has put a lot of thought into, It doesn't really matter. I think it's all about so personal.
Speaker 4: Steve Hotton had a flying pigs of the flying horse, shoulder and shoulder on his.
Speaker 1: Back, the whole horse, or just the wings.
Speaker 4: Wings and the horse's head and you know the horse from behind with the wings spread, you know, like it was flying or galloping. I don't know. It might have been in the air, might have on the ground.
Speaker 5: Can no one ever had a sports cafe tattoo? Is that.
Speaker 1: We're talking about how we did team by?
Speaker 4: How to do some team by a picture of himself firing out of his chest?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Growing, Yeah, I know that.
Speaker 3: As I was saying before that, the phenomena the UFC is something that sort of really sort of just grabbed the whole world. To be fair, I've been trying to sort of get my head around it, and in the last sort of twenty minutes or so, listening to you has given me a sense of why this sport's taken off. You know, you're an incredible person to listen to and and your career has been amazing. So I want to thank you for coming on the show and putting up all all our bullshit but really appreciate it. And I can see you your calmness under pressure, you know, even on this podcast.
Speaker 4: Go and get the title. I'm really interested in what happens next once you get the title. How long you're going to hang at the top four. It's going to be a wonderful story that we're all all about watching and being a part of so cheers.
Speaker 3: Brother, next time. Yeah, thanks mate.
Speaker 5: Yeah where you live?
Speaker 4: You live in Pontanby.
Speaker 5: I'm out west, but I'm in Auckland.
Speaker 3: We could have done this at your place.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we could have come to your place to yours next time, just time as well.
Speaker 5: Appreciate it. Cheers, guys.
Speaker 3: I thought your behavior during that interview was inappropriate. Why because your abusive towards me.
Speaker 4: I was abusive. Told you that's your loving for me.
Speaker 1: You pretty much ask for everything you get.
Speaker 4: I really feel like.
Speaker 3: I put a lot of work into the show, and first of all is that he didn't show.
Speaker 1: Upative of how little work that you put into.
Speaker 3: Every time one guest, every time you do an interview you talk about cheese instead of sport, the whole show starts becoming about cheese.
Speaker 4: Cheese.
Speaker 3: You asked him a question about cheese. We're going to get into something different, cheese rolling.
Speaker 4: There's a world champion in the room, greatest sporting endeavor.
Speaker 5: Block blood.
Speaker 4: As we're going there, all these sort of inbred. It was in Gloucester, Gloucester, which is and bred.
Speaker 1: Don't take that person actually related to.
Speaker 4: The show over there. Don't be worried about it, but there it was two head city, and I mean, you'd have to be to go down this hill, to be honest. And so he punched a couple of quiets back and got a bit of false confidence.
Speaker 3: Have a look at this. This is the guy who I think should have been the champion of the cheese rolling Champions. He's at the front and here is just watch him, because he's got the whole loose body thing quite quite nice.
Speaker 4: And we could just and this guy carried himself and that the guy had won at twenty one times, had the bone of his shin hanging out through the pans, and two ambulances and we were sort of lining up ready for the next one, and they said, hold on, they'll be like a twenty minute wait whilst the ambulances take the people in the town and come back, which certainly got their drilling guy. And then some gloss the local came up and started sparking up a joint and said, well, anyone want a hood, and well, you know, rather not, you know, performance enhancing and so forth, And then he got down on the blocks and just sat there fifteen minutes, staring staring down the bottom of the hill. And then came promptly about last, or they're very passionate. How many of them are pissed at the start of the thing with Kii Bood who won it, and God bless it because she showed a great seat of heels, but she couldn't even speak before just roll. It's a good chance that the guy who was just flopping around and just fell asleep of his own volition. Well, I actually think and this is not meant to be, you know, to anyone, but it may be if you're an obese or in fact that a very chunky dwarf, you would make make like the cheese you.
Speaker 5: Know, and basically dwarf, and you actually get down quite quickly.
Speaker 4: Which you and put them into like in a hefty wetsuit and glaze them with like axle grease and just give the bars and a boot up the.
Speaker 5: Ass and you would go, well, actually do it on your gat The whole way down.
Speaker 4: I was thinking exactly the same thing, and he said it.
Speaker 3: It's you, is it? He looks you because you were the world cheese rolling champion a.
Speaker 4: Long long time ago. It wasn't the world cheese rolling champion. I won one heat. It was the quickest time, admittedly, but nonetheless you get to keep the cheese. You get to keep the cheese. That's the thing.
Speaker 3: Is it something you're proud of? Being the world cheese rolling champ.
Speaker 4: It was the one thing that for some reason got to me the most exposure or interest from the press internationally in my entire spawning career.
Speaker 3: Would you do it again?
Speaker 4: I actually spoke to one of the cheese companies and said, like, seriously, if you put a wetsuit on and you go like the Clappers, glazed like a Christmas ham and make like a porpoise when you fall over, you clean it up and then put your logo on it. And that we didn't have too many conversations, so, you.
Speaker 3: Know, continuing my theme of getting quite angry on the show, I asked you all to send something about being positive, and you've sent me nothing, like nothing at all, Like like no, don't don't even answer me back because I'm gonna have a few words. So that's made me angry. And and then today I had lunch and I had a garnish on my seafood chowder, and garnishes really really make me angry. I think people that garnish no garnishes are wrong. It's just a waste of resource. Like I had a seafood. I don't know what it was. It was just a curly bit of celery or something that was a complete waste of time and that wasn't pubes, was just celery. So I'm demanding that we stop garnishing our food, like, what is the reason for it? Fair enough my issues.
Speaker 2: You got a restaurant and you get chicken wings, you know, and they bring out they bring out five. I mean, what's that about. I mean you obviously, if you're with someone, right, we're gonna have three. I'm gonna have two.
Speaker 3: I mean you were more worried that there's a chicken with just one wing.
Speaker 2: Well that's my whole point is that obviously a chicken has two wings. Don't be a tired us leap bring all this. So there's always got to be the even number of umber four eight. So that's two things we resolved.
Speaker 3: No more garnish, that's well said, No more garnish, No chicken even numbered chicken wing, even.
Speaker 4: Number chicken wings. Now that would be a conversation we're having. But the garnish thing, we all disagree with you because garnish is good.
Speaker 3: No garnish is bad.
Speaker 1: I'm actually hungry. I can't believe that we're doing this.
Speaker 3: We've got to wrap the show up, and this, this last piece of the show is probably not going to work as powerfully as I thought it would be. It's a it's a it's a piece of videotape that no one's ever seen before of zim zen Brock, and he's not on it. Yeah, you know.
Speaker 7: He used to talk about the stories about Peter Jones and Colonades, how they used to go to trainings and they used to take their boots and sugar sacks, and the boots are so they couldn't actually fit into a sugar sack. So I imagined, there's a little kid that the sugar sack must have been about that long. And so I thought, well, you know, I'm this morning. I'm never ever going to get to that be that big. Until I met sid Going when I was a twelve year old, thought well there might be there might be hope for me yet, so because he was obviously a small guy, but you know, it was just the pictures and you know, playing for the All Blacks, who was heroic, you know, listening to them, you know, listening to those I remember. I can clearly remember sitting in the back of the yard the hold them when I was a young kid, wrapped up there in a sleeping bag and listened to all the All Black games against theth Aviga, And yeah, I used to always fall asleep in the car, but listening to those All Black games, just the commentaries were just just fantastic. And I was looking across at Brent Harvey and they started reading the names out and then my name came up, and it was just like I didn't think I had heard it right, And until someone sort of over my shoulder and congratulated me at the end of it, I was just like, oh my god, what I was just I was quite amazed that. Yeah, just that feeling of of joy, of joy and being, you know, just been named as an All Black, just that feeling of all black, you know, zin zen Brook was It was fantastic.
Speaker 4: You know how he talked about bringing things in sugar sacks. John Lissay used to bring his balls and sugars.
Speaker 3: That end titles play Now, right, so you're okay with we losing one hundred bucks, I'll be your legs on the weekend. You don't listen.
Speaker 4: You've always been against the All Blacks and a big match of that because there's ants some hedge if they lose rights.
Speaker 3: So where are we? What's this? Given?
Speaker 4: The thing deck for a being getting a'll be.
Speaker 3: Better hide hid if we really want to write a boat out we want.
Speaker 4: We don't have mcclaim their sign a brol But nobody knows who we are. So I found the key that opened this door and we're in. A little man gave a sort somewhere.
Speaker 3: Then is there the sports cap a cash? Did you still at the White House on trades?
Speaker 6: What right?
Speaker 3: Bringing in the show from here from now on? That's it