Speaker 1: You're listening to the Weekend Collective podcast from News Talks edboous.
Speaker 2: Any back and welcome back to the show. This is the Weekend Collective. I'm Tim Beverage. And by the way, if you missed Politics Central, our discussion around tariffs and trade and all that sort of stuff, you can go and check out our podcast where you had a chat with Oliver Hartwich from the New Zealand Initiative as well as Brad Olson, who also did quite a good explainer. I thought on you know why PPPs versus just the government funding itself. So check out out podcast on News Talks, hev website or on iHeart Radio. But right now it's time for the Health Hub and we're actually well we're gonna have a chat about a couple of things. One is about the stones in our lives and whens you should actually maybe you think, well, hang on it, I don't mean to the doctor for five years and I've hit my thirties or hit my forties, or if hit my fifties or a hit in my sixties. Is there a particular warrant of fitness I should go and get from a doctor. Should I go and get some blood tests? Every now and again, should I get your doctor to give me the give me the finger where I don't really want it? Or am I putting that off? And it's ten years later. So the milestones because it has been highlighted around the question around testing for bowel cancer. There is a tricky political question, which is cause may cause some problems for the government. But the question some people might have, we shouldn't be waiting till fifty eight to get a check for bowel cancer. Who should Looking at your own personal circumstances, when should you go and see someone about a particular issue. You might know that mum and dad both got it, or your mum had got breast cancer and her late forties or something, so obviously that would be something you'd flag with your doctor. We're going to dig into that. But also pain, because I reckon I've got a theory and I'm going to turn this Mike. If so you can't hear him laugh at my my take on it. There is anyway but pain. I've read a few things that tell us that, look, paracetamol can be useful for some things but generally useless for others. And of course we talked about it with cold medication. They're some of the cold medification was barely better than the placebo. But what are the genuinely affected pain reliefs? Pain relievers or there's a lot of it placebo. So if you've got a question around pain, give us a call as well. At one hundred and eighty ten and eighty. That's opened the floodgates wide open for my guests who like you can hear them in the back grade. You can even recognize them by his sniggering. It's doctor John Cameron.
Speaker 3: Hello, how are you good afternoon?
Speaker 2: How are you excellent? Absolutely superse I like your arts. When I asked you before when we were caught up out outside the studio and you said, you know, I woke up this morning and that's always good news, and I actually think that that sounds like a flippant response. But you know what, you wake up and you're alive, and isn't life? You know, life's good?
Speaker 3: Yeah, for most people, life is a really great experience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So let's take each.
Speaker 3: Day, make the most out of each day, fill it with whatever you can to make a smile on your dial. And the way we go.
Speaker 2: It's funny I thought about I was talking to you as well. I thought about my dad. I went for us. I've been trying to keep going for swims, and I know that as we get closer to winter, there's good of a day where I'm like our stuff first. But it was a beautiful day to down. I went for a swim. And my dad, when he was in his nineties, used to still go for a swim at Coe Beach and he was getting on and we used to be like, oh, Dad, you know this is a bit dangerous and what if something happens? And he said, look, if something happens, I'll just quietly slip beneath the waves and that'll be fine by me. And it's funny now every time I go for a swim, I get it because he was living life the way he wanted to. Because often our kids want us to play it safe and don't do that, and don't that's like, well, what's the point live while you can beg of the kids? Yeah, bug of the.
Speaker 3: Kids, spend your money, don't give them any inheritance, and have a great lit amount of fun doing it. There's a book called I'm Being Mortal by Uttel goron.
Speaker 2: Day I'm Being Mortal.
Speaker 3: On Being mortal, okay, And it's all about what matters to you and your life, and that's what you should aim for. And it was a similar story to what you were saying. His dad had a really nasty terminal disease and they had a procedure which they could do that might have given him some sort of extra time or something. And the question was if we do this, will my dad be able to sit up watch a football game and have a beer. And they said, yeah, okay, do the job. So you know, that was important to his dad and if it gave him that back, that was worthwhile.
Speaker 2: It's interesting how I think that, even though it sounds so wishy washy, the questions about your own philosophy around life become more and more important. We should be important all the time. But because I think that they are the ones that people go, they get, I would say that it's usually the dependents who care about mum and dad or granddad who get frustrated when a doctor may be like, well, hang on, your mum and dad has said that this is what they want and this may not be the treatment that's going to prolong their lives, but it's going to mean that they can live better for the way, and young ones want d Mum and dad around for as long as they can, generally just because they love them. But the question is a deeper one about for you know, how do you want to live your life? Do you want to sink beneath the waves that do you want to be stuck in your bed for two years doing nothing?
Speaker 3: I think I've spoken about this before, but there's a thing called not advas It's Advance Care directive for advanced planning, which you can do at any time, and you should be doing it at twenty and thirty and at forty and at fifty. You don't have to wait until you're seventy or eighty, and you're getting closer to that shuffling off the mortal coil. But just detailing it how you want to live your life, what's important to you? And if you do strike something which is going to take you off the planet, how would you want that to be run for you? It's not carston Stone, no change it at any time. It gets you thinking about what's important to you, and it lets other people know if you can't talk about it, if something's happened to you, they can go back to this document and see. So it's a really important thing to do. It's online where you go.
Speaker 2: What's the name of that book again, It's called.
Speaker 3: On Being Mortal atol Gorwonda. He's a surgeon, you're a neurologists in the States.
Speaker 2: You've got to be really careful. I thought you said a we we searched, and I meant he was really sure.
Speaker 3: When you're bringing up the hospital and you want either the neurologists or the neurologists, so you've got to say eurology as and we we saw neurology as and brains the other way, you end.
Speaker 2: Up talking to the long So you got to say a neurologists, and you say it wrong and you walk in the guy says, we'll drop your packs. It's like, what the hell, it's all in the head.
Speaker 3: So no, he's he was a surgeon and he's done a whole lot about surgical safety and about patient directed medicine. He's worth read.
Speaker 2: You mentioned you know, think about these things through your twenties and thirties, which does tie into that whole question. Did I have a reasonable crack at talking at giving a summary about the question of approaching milestones as that of course it's always individual and summing people up by age or whatever. It takes you so far. But in the end, if you know you've got a family history of something, then you're going to be getting bow cancer screening earlier than others, or breast cancer screening whatever. When should are there milestones?
Speaker 3: Though?
Speaker 2: Because should I turn up when I should? I have turned up as I did to my doctor and when I hit forty and I said, I said I need a fall on men's health check and he said, did you just book them for fifteen minutes? You should have warned me about that.
Speaker 3: Anyway, it's warning and we can do a lot of the laboratory work before you come, so it makes it a hell of a lot more sensible to sit down and talk you through your results. Otherwise you do two visits, waste your time, waste my time. So pre plan. Talk to the nursing team at the practice, say, look, this is what I wanted to be doing. Will the doc be okay to set me up some screening blood so that I can bring them in and we can sit down and have a talk. So is there a specific time? What we're talking about, you are screening for health, so you're starting with someone who's got no disease, no symptoms, no science, no nothing. It's always dangerous because you're always do on the risk of making them worse. So you're starting with someone who is totally well, and some people.
Speaker 2: If you do this first to do nor.
Speaker 3: Investigate investigation on them, you will actually make them worse. So it's called NH Numbers needed to treat versus numbers needed to harm. If we had to do this to a thousand people, how many of those thousands we have to do this too to save one life? If we did the same thing to that thousand people, how many people would be harmed. As long as you're helping more people than you're harming, it's probably okay. But you have to explain to people that screening is a very inexact science. Okay, everyone believes that if I go and get screened, it's going to tell me yes or no. If it's no, I'm fine. If it's yes, I will be cured.
Speaker 2: I think. And part of that's actually it's important to understand what your family's health history is, of course, because if you've had a if there's been a history of bow cancer in your family or something, then obviously I don't know actually does How does the politics play. I know we've got a bit of controversy hapening around race and all that sort of thing, But how does it play if somebody does have a history within their family with bow screening screening, do they actually get that funded at a certain age or no?
Speaker 3: As far as population based screening for bow cancer, it's age related. Yeah, totally age related to access a screening colonoscopy, which be the next step. Yes, there are provisos in there for family history and personal history and those sorts of things. So a population based screening.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's that's usually any time provider you to get a test and you mightest tests, think cold.
Speaker 3: Blood testing, which is the bowel screening that we've got in New Zealand.
Speaker 2: As opposed to someone who's got a family history. So we go and see their GP, they get referred and they get put in for a colonoscopy.
Speaker 3: Possibly possibly, yeah, depending on that. And you've got to have quite a strong family history of bell cancer to actually reach the threshold, because Belle cancer is such a common disease in this country, so for it to raise its head as a genetically running process, you need a quite strong family history to get the scope.
Speaker 2: Look just before we go to the cause, because you've mentioned that. I always think it's useful when we ever have an opportunity for people to learn something about how can they best protect themselves in these things? What are the primary causes of what are we doing wrong in our lifestyle generally? Is there? I know it's a complex, complex question. How long have we got but but are there some basics that we are doing wrong with our diets that mean that we do have this prevalence of bowel cancer? Not enough rough urgeon, not enough healthy food.
Speaker 3: I think I've told you before that we can equate the instance of oil cancer to the number of telephones at a household, So therefore it's telephones which cause bowl cancer. So being very careful, correlation does not equal causation. And that is why it is so difficult to do the cause all bit on it. We can associate it with all sorts of things. There must be some dietary post because it's part of our gasri intestinal system. But what is it? Is it we see these things associated with high meat intake? Da da da da da da. Is that the causation or is it something else that leads you to have the high meat intake that could be the actual cause of the background. So teasing that out is what we're trying to do every day, trying to learn about these diseases to see what is the market we could find. The classic one was stomach cancer. Firstly, we've got a genetic process that we know there are a group of people who genetically predisposed to stomach cancer.
Speaker 2: Cool.
Speaker 3: We also now know that it can be related to a bacterical t helico back to polari, which lives on our stomach lining. Wow, we only have known that for the last ten to fifteen years. Besides that, we didn't know that. So we found that people had ulcers more likely to get stomach cancer. We didn't know what the cause. If it is, we now not it seelo go back to polari. So these things are coming. We're still trying to tease all that stuff out.
Speaker 2: How much of it In the end, it spoils down to the luck of the gene pool in terms of well and number jeanes, you know, because we see plenty of examples people who abuse them themselves with smoking, eating the wrong foods. You know, I mean, and you say that funny thing is funny things. I've even heard people say, well, maybe they did diet ninety nine, but possibly they will have to a lot of lived to one hundred and nine if they haven't done.
Speaker 3: Anyway, you do the sensible things. Choose your parents, well, eat a diet which is a cross all around, get exercised. Don't be a smoker or be a non smoker. Please have as small an alcohol intake that you can have. There's all of these things which will give you the best chance.
Speaker 2: Okay, but just genuinely, but generally speaking, should people at least because some people don't get sex very often, they don't go to the doctor. Is there a sort of period where you should at least present yourself to the doctor for a chat about maybe to even just keeping up with immunizations or whatever. But how often a normally healthy person should they go and make an appointment once? It'll be what two five.
Speaker 3: Years and twenty year olds sea bulletproof it for every decade gets a little bit more bullet dangerous. So yeah, we would do a five yearly review is probably reasonable. Okay, haven't you heard about forty fifty We're in the background, we're doing cardiovascular risk screening. We're doing diabetic screening, We're doing cervical screening, We're doing brist screening, we're doing balled screen cancer screening. All of these things are happening actually in the background. It's part of our job when you enroll with a practice is to take responsibility for offering you the screening processes.
Speaker 2: Does that mean if I'm weather practice, I'm going to get a reminder for my flu jab at some stage yeap, oh god, okay, good, I'll mark that one as not to follow up on you anyway. Look, we want to take your calls on this as well, because the other question is around pain relief. We'll have a chat with John after the break about this. But this is your opportunity to get on the blower. Oh eight hundred and eighty text nine two niney two. This is News Talks. He'd be the Health Hub. It is twenty past four. Right, we're back with doctor John Cameron taking your calls and Enid. Thank you, thank you for waiting in it. How are you doing well?
Speaker 4: I'm not doing great actually, but hi Tim and Dr John. I'll try and tell you my symptoms quickly. End of last September, had a fall got checked out, everything was fine. About ten days later, while driving, I noticed my right ankle had become very stiff, and then the whole foot became stiff and heavy, and my lower leg. I've seen a neurologist. She didn't think it was anything to do with the fall. She thought it might be a stroke. I've had an MRI and an MRA and totally clear, no stroke. The next on the plan is stand on my spine and nerves. Have you come across anything like this? Please?
Speaker 3: Oh? Most mondays right, it's actually quite a qualty.
Speaker 4: Sundays is that the day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they all come in after the weekend. I think the important thing to take from your story is that having a negative MR of your head and a negative angiography of angiography of your head that makes a decent amount of safety. So we're not worried about a stroke or transient schemic attect or any other thing nasty going on inside your head. And in trying to define your problem a little bit more, yes, it may be coming from your back as the nerves which provide power and sensation to your lower limb, they emerge from the spine, and there can be pressure points on the spine on those nerves as they emerge from the spine. So that's a nice reasonable way to going about it. How much does it affect your day to day living at the moment?
Speaker 4: Oh a lot, because it's getting worse every day. Can hardly do anything. I mean, I don't go out anymore unless it's a medical appointment.
Speaker 3: That's sad? Is that because of pain or what.
Speaker 4: I mean? When I'm sitting down, it's lovely. When I get up, it's not exactly painful, but the toe of that foot sort of drags on the ground. I have to it's almost like foot drop.
Speaker 3: You know, there's a foot drop. I think that's what you're talking about. Yeah, Now that may well be coming from your lower back, unfortunately, and.
Speaker 4: I had the feeling it might be coming from the lower back. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And unfortunately, if it's going on that long and you do have a true foot drop, they tend not to actually get better. I'm sorry, thank you, thank you, sorry about that. Yeah. But what we try and do is we try and make it so that the foot doesn't drop, and we can use sort of inserts in your shoes that hold the ankle at ninety degrees so it's not normal, but it should give you back functioning. And I think the most important thing for you is to be upright, to be mobile, to be out in the world experiencing things, because otherwise your world has got the chance of becoming really small, very narrow, and that's not good for your health.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I mean, I've got a walker. My total weight is leaning on that walker when I walk, and last Thursday I fell over on the kitchen floor because my knee gave way.
Speaker 3: Hey, look, it's not hard getting mature, is it? It's not easy exactly. Yeah, it's hard work. Well done for making ninety three. So you're on the right track. Try and what we need to do if we can't find something to fix it up completely, to try and minimize the impact of this on your ongoing life.
Speaker 2: So who would en to talk to?
Speaker 3: Which is going to have a city of a lumber spine by the sound of it.
Speaker 4: Okay, So that's thank you very much, Dr John.
Speaker 2: Good luck and thank you for your call.
Speaker 3: Ah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's god. Getting old does, is there? It is hard work? I mean, well, actually to find me that question around keeping yourself fit as you get older and waits and things like that and sort of exit what is the most effective form of exercise when you are getting older, Because when people say, well, especially for guys once you fifties, you should be doing some sort of resistance training and all that sort of stuff.
Speaker 3: Go out the front door.
Speaker 2: Get out the front door.
Speaker 3: It's the number one thing. It's there. You don't need a gym membership to do it. You don't need to get dressed in theker and go on two wheels. You can go out the front door and go for a walk and then put a hell into it and do some things like that for a start really important. And you're telling me about your dad who was did the round the base at what age?
Speaker 2: I'm going to check that. I'm pretty sure he was eighty eight good. I think his time was a hundred seventy two minutes, much faster than I would do. I think. I actually, I'm really glad I did this. I took a photo on my phone of his certificate, and Google photos is very clever. You can just say search for certificates and part up at pops.
Speaker 3: So being active, if you're looking at what makes people healthy, it's being in a society. So if you are alone and isolated in your house, your health is going to suffer significant.
Speaker 2: Well, that was I think that's what I was thinking of with then, and I didn't put it very well. But even though it's hard for her to get out, and of course I mean it's trying to be safe, but yet still if she's so comfortable on the couch, that's fine, but you can't be on the cauchule.
Speaker 3: In your decondition. You get weaker and weaker and weaker by not doing things.
Speaker 2: All right, give us a call eight hundred and eighty ten eight. You've got a few texts to go to first, so we're going to talk about pain as well. Somebody says he is swimming in the sea the best pain relief and well being. That's from Karen.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, it's great.
Speaker 2: What's so good about it?
Speaker 3: Are you using your whole body. You're taking gravity out of the equation so you can get your arms moving, your hips moving, knees moving, you're buoyant. It's good aerobic exercise and you normally do it with other.
Speaker 2: People and actually pretty social. Where it was noticed at a certain time, when the tide is between the sort of mid and high tide, you go part and it's I don't know, how much time they spend swimming, but they're sitting there smugly in their swimsuit. Ugler, well go on, well why not? I don't know. I think I think you actually better just have a good old fluppy pair of board shorts because more resistance, more workout. He wants the budge. Smuggler's goodness, man, I don't understand that. Here's a look. We're talking about pain as well. And one says, Hi, my husband has very sore hands and wrists from OS the our art writers, what would help with pain relief? He is allergic to die cloth. That's the one, thank you.
Speaker 3: Oh heck, warmth. Warmth will help keeping it moving. As you're coming back to the paraceedmal paraceed is not highly effective, but it's worth a trying to see what it's going to do if taken regularly, which means to every four hours, if you're going to get the benefit from it. That's where it is you're Keeping the joints moving is really important. If you've got a single isolated joint that's really sore and stuff. We can sometimes reduce down the swelling and pain with a little steroid injection into it, but it won't be forever at the last a short while, maybe three six months. There's a whole range of things that we can do for that, but keeping it moving is most important thing.
Speaker 2: Okay, afternoon, this is a question. I think a lot of people because you know, they have that maxigesic thing which combines paracetamol ibuprofene. This person says, afternoon, when I really need pain relief, I've learned to combine paracetamol and ibuprofne two each. So that's what two hundred mils two hundred times two paracetamol. Thank you. And if doctor friend told me I think the method, I don't know. It's nagb no. There's a typo here, so I don't know he's talking about it.
Speaker 3: Be careful, be careful. And ibuprofene is a six to eight hourly medicine. Paracetamol is a four hourly medicine. So if you're taking the combined one at a four hourly, you're underdosing on the you're overdosing on the ibuprofene. If you're taking it six hourly, you're underdosing on the paracetamol.
Speaker 2: So I guess the question is for a first hit. So you've got a.
Speaker 3: Two paracetamol and if that's not working four hours, time two parasi and wel plus two overprofen.
Speaker 2: And then wait for six hours before you replace.
Speaker 3: It in two parasion well at four hours after that.
Speaker 2: How do they work though? The different what's the difference between them.
Speaker 3: We don't know how paracetamol works.
Speaker 2: I love that that we don't know how it works. It's amazing game. I think the latest thing I heard on some you know, there's that always releases and results from some study that for tension headaches when you sort of wake up. It's quite good for tension headaches. I'm not sure where it is with period pain, but if you've got a sore thumb or something, it's a waste of time.
Speaker 3: It's worth a go, but don't expect miracles. Okay, So paracetamol in itself, within the dose of racy regime that you're talking about, it is safe. It is a highly toxic chemical and an overdose it is highly lethal. So please be careful with the dosing regime always with paracetamol, especially with kids. Don't overdose your kids. So we know that paracetamol seems to work somewhere in the brain. It does for mild pain. It also helped bring down fevers. That's what it does.
Speaker 2: How how did it end up being discovered? What know these They know these things, aren't you?
Speaker 5: So?
Speaker 3: Ibuprofen is a non sterilanti inflammatory drug. It interferes with the production of pro prostaglandins, which you're brought down from a thing called racodonic acid made out of spiders rachnids, and it races down to prost which cause pain and bleeding and swelling. And it also protects your tummy. So that's why we're very careful with them, because you lose that stomach protection.
Speaker 2: Which protects your tommy.
Speaker 3: One group of the prostaglandins recodon aid pathway.
Speaker 2: I see, So non steroidal anti inflammatory n s AI. What's the decent drugs drug? Okay? There we go. Okay, so they're all quite they all work differently, they do they? Well, how come I would we're talking about period pain in the break? How come natprogese, which is one of those neproxy and sodium please, Okay, that's the one, not the brand the drug approximant, Okay, versus ibuprofen is one more effective than the other.
Speaker 3: Though, see how it works for you?
Speaker 2: Really? But why would but approx and whatever it is you call it come. That's the one that people say, well, this is quite good.
Speaker 3: For periods because that's what we've come to know.
Speaker 2: Oh you've just come tonight, you come to know it.
Speaker 3: Some of them are more powerful anti inflammatories. There is another group of anti inflammatories called the cox two inhiblatives called Psychloagne two. They tend to hit the nasty prostate glanders but leave the stomach ones alone, so you get less of a stomach irritation with them.
Speaker 2: Is there one you're supposed to is the ibuprofens? And that those ones? Are they the ones you're supposed to take with a bit of food or something after decent meal, after a maine meal, not like just a glass of milk or something. What can you eat if you haven't had a maine meal, but you need it. We want to take one have one food? Would a sandwich be? Okay?
Speaker 3: A couple of sandwiches? So what you're trying to do is put some food in your stomach to buffer the effect of the anti inflammatory on the lining of the stomach because they will call stomach ulses.
Speaker 2: Okay, right, that's good, good because I think it's one of those things. I guess lost in the people are saying, oh, take a couple of natrin whatever it is. Sorry, I know brand names were try and stick away from varion names. That's why when people say I took of Is there an alternative to pane dollars? I say, well, you just look for another paracetamol? Correct also, and actually, by the way, go for it. Just ask the chemist for the end of the counter one. I don't mean the illegal one, but the non branded one, and you pay half the price for twice the number of pills. You pay a lot for that fancy packaging. But anyway, right, let's take some more calls. That sounded a pretty simicle on my part. You're rubbing off true, so true, Well done, Mary?
Speaker 5: Hello ah, yes, hi there. Infoseema. Is ZERI a cure for it? Or does it progressively just get worse?
Speaker 3: So infosema is a part of what we call chronic obstructive respiratory disease mixture of bronchite. Bronchite is esma and infosema. Infosema is We're the little in tubes which were the guests extreme occurs, they break down and rather than have little bubbles on the end of your fingertips, you end up with big floppy sacks. Can be caused by a number of things. It can be caused by a genetic process we think called alpha one needed trips and deficiency. It can be caused by inhaled substances like coal, dust and dust and things and cigarettes smoking sound number one thing. So to answer your question, emphysema itself, if that's a diagnosis, it doesn't improve, Okay, what we try. What we try and do is stop any more insults to your lungs by keeping your lungs as clean and as clear as we possibly can. There are some medicines which can help a little bit with the way that ear moves through your lungs, but it can't repair the damage those floppy sacs at the end of your ear tubes unfortunately.
Speaker 5: So does it progressively get a little bit worse as time goes.
Speaker 3: Slowly, and we can slow it up by minimizing the amount of toxins hitting your lungs. So fresh, clean mountaineer. Okay, thanks Mary, and okay, thank you so Mary, what did you want to say?
Speaker 5: Oh, I was just going to say I have found that exercising it helps.
Speaker 3: Absolutely absolutely right.
Speaker 2: Thanks for your cole, I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Ron.
Speaker 6: Hello, I just want to talk about jelatine again on pain on arthritis. I was over in Australia and I had pain in my fingers in hand. Ye, and how can I get rid of it? The girl told me that you can take gelatine. So I put in my coffee, put on my week picks. It doesn't much straight away, I mean I can guarantee on three months ago, but it seems to work and I had no pain since.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, I haven't read any studies on it. I haven't read any studies on gelatine itself, and uh famco thinking. I can't see how it would do a hell of a lot myself. But if you found that works for you, by all means, go for it. Yep.
Speaker 6: No, why works straightaway? It takes two or three months for kicking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So we were talking about these things from a medical point of view. We need what's called a double blind, placebo controlled trial to be able to say categorically this does this or that, and I don't I haven't seen any studies on that, but I'll keep looking.
Speaker 2: Hey, thanks for your call.
Speaker 3: Ron.
Speaker 2: We'll be back in just a moment. As twenty two to two five newstalks it be. It's Newstalk's there be welcome back. This is the Health happ with doctor John Cameron. We're talking about well milestones and people's health when you get checked up, but more particularly pain relief as well. Actually, what are we doing? Let's go to Cheryl.
Speaker 7: Hello, Hi, Look it's actually Carol. It's not Sheryl.
Speaker 2: Oh, Okay, terrible that I'll blame my my other other probably the.
Speaker 7: Way I said it. Look, I've got polymylgeria and I've been on preaderzone. I had a really bad doze and I got it down from thirty to ten and that's all blown up again. It's gone from fifteen. My CPR has gone from fifteen to sixty five. And I've got the most dreadful headaches and I'm seeing a rheumatologist on Tuesday.
Speaker 3: What have you done? What have you done? Your pregnance dose.
Speaker 7: It's still on. Well, I've kept it low down to ten, so I haven't. I haven't up to it yet because I was getting all these weird symptoms and I couldn't cope with it. My body was out of zinc with my brain.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm not going to step in, but I think your rumatologists will increase your presnance own dose. Okay, how.
Speaker 7: Dangerous is that to your health?
Speaker 3: There are some risks with presnan zone. There are some benefits from presna zone. So polymildy ramatica is a horrible, nasty little thing where your joints become really stiff and sore, and we generally find that presna zone will will take away those symptoms, and then we try and get you on as lower dose as we can to minimize the long term effects of presna zone. So we try and get you down as much as you can, but sometimes you do have to play around with the dose in short little bursts if you've got a fleir of your disease. So anything is measured against the effect of the disease on your way that your world went, world runs. So if you're stiff and sore count lift your hands above your head, then the benefits from presnan zone grossly outweigh the risks.
Speaker 7: And I've heard that magnisium it's a let of magnesium that can help, and I've been shaking magnesium, but I'm wondering if on the wrong whimp.
Speaker 3: I'm not convinced that there is a big, big role in magnesium and polymage or America.
Speaker 2: Okay, thanks, thanks.
Speaker 3: So good luck. Good luck for your rheumatologist. If you've got really nasty headache, and especially if you've noticed any change in your vision, you must contact your GP or an emergency doctor straight away. Please. Okay, yep, that's a really important thing.
Speaker 2: Okay, good luck, Carol, thank you, thanks very much. Quick question, Good afterning Doctor John iman Gaba penton three hundred milligrams is MG's milligrams two, two or three times a day. Been on them for twelve years from my back at a discriptant removed in nine ninety four. Is a safe long term.
Speaker 3: As far as we know. Yes, yeah, it's a it's a nerve pain medicine was an anti epileptic at one stage. It's yeah. If it's doing the job, happy to be on it.
Speaker 2: Okay, another one. Hi, I'm fifty eight. The last time I went to a health test, I got asked. I asked to get my prostate tests by blood test. The young doctor said, they don't do that anymore, only when you start getting symptoms. Is that correct? Have we han't acount of worms on.
Speaker 3: That I know, we haven't known a can of words. No, we do do PSA testing, but it has to be informed consent. It's probably the it's the better test we've got at the moment. It's not perfect. It's got a whole range of false positive results, anything up to thirty forty percent even higher false positivity. So if you get a negative result, it's fine. We're actually moving away from screening with digital rectal exams unless you've got major symptoms. But doing a PSA test, I think we'll be considered with informed consent to be an appropriate pathway.
Speaker 2: Okay, right, another call and hello hello, yes, wait, I'll tell you what. I'm just going to put you back to my producer. And and because your ligne's a bit we've got we need to get your turn your radio off in the background, and we'll get on to you in just a moment. Look, so what of the John whatever? Have too aspirin as a as a brilliant drug? Why why is it? Why is it paracetamol? And and you know the I don't want to say the brand? What was it? You know? I be pray? Why I mean I got I got turned away from aspirin because I was a singer and it wasn't the risk of vocal hemorrhage, et cetera. Well, my specialist said probably best to avoid that, and I did have a couple of vocal hemorrhages to be fair. But why what what happened to aspirin?
Speaker 3: It's great drug, brilliant drag. So why what's a non stir royal anti inflammatory drug? So and an anti platelet drug. So it's got a very important effect if you've got a sore throat gargling and spitting or swallowing too soluble aspirin resolved in water is the best remedy you can ever possibly have. Don't buy over the canes the falling off the radar. It hasn't fallen off the radar. Anyone saying I've taken an asproa.
Speaker 2: There was saying taken it.
Speaker 3: So we've taken away from primary prevention. Okay, So someone who hasn't had a cardio escular event. The jury is still out whether taking half an esperin a day will do anything for you. If you've had a cardio escular event, especially if you're diabetic. Esperin has been proven to be very very effective at reducing down the risk associated further cardio escular events. So it's not for the whole population. We're targeting a lot more. If you take esperin, usually run the risk of gaestric ulceration and bleeding. So that's always the other side to the equation.
Speaker 2: So that's when we have after a meal as well. Yeah, if you swallow, want.
Speaker 3: To buff it down and rather than three hundred milligrams, it's one hundred milligrams. So so esperin is still a very very effective drug used in the right place. We used to go slathering it everywhere. We've now worked out that it's probably not the best attitude and actually targeting it to the people who will get the most benefit and making sure that they're will So should.
Speaker 2: I have asperin in my medicine cabinet?
Speaker 3: Oh for a sore throat? Yeah?
Speaker 2: So gard in fact, that that's the one thing I did. Used to use it for gargling, and I used to swallow it.
Speaker 3: That it's fine gargling swallows really, but it's topical of you if it's garglin absolutely works topically as well as that is a fun fact, and dispine would be fine.
Speaker 2: Doesn't need to be you.
Speaker 3: Know, displine is a trade name for esperant.
Speaker 2: I thought it was soluble. Aspirin is different. It doesn't matter whether it's soluble or not. Right, gosh, there you go. Well look at the health service we're provided it at twelve minutes to five. Tell you what, we'll take a brat come back with more calls and just to take yes. News Talk said, be right, We're going to try squeeze a couple more calls with Dr John Kelly.
Speaker 8: Hello, oh hi there, I think you mean my sour names Kelly, Doctor John. I heard you comment earlier on the connection with ulcers and stomach chancery. My child at eight was diagnosed with a jordinal ulcer, which was the biggest mission of my life to get anyone to take me seriously. He is known as mid forties if fine, But would he have a higher risk of stomach chenses having had DA as a.
Speaker 3: Child Very unlikely. You could cover it off by doing what's called the helico Helicobacter polari anybody test just to make sure, just a simple blood test or a poo test, but unusual to get a yourdenal ulcer. That a really unusual and I can well imagine why you had a lot of trouble. Sorry.
Speaker 8: I was told by a pediatrician that the idea it was all in my head. I was giving my son the idea that he was unwell because he wasn't doing well at school. It was an uphill battle. It took me ages to find someone to do something about it.
Speaker 3: Well done for.
Speaker 2: Thank you for your call. Max.
Speaker 9: Hi, Hey, good, I I just had I don't want to ruffle any feathers first off, and I also don't know what the unbranded name of the struggle is. But I was just wondering about what your opinions are on prozac. Do you think that the world is a happier place after.
Speaker 2: I mean, it was it was the drug of DuJour at one stage, wasn't it.
Speaker 3: It's one of a group of medicine called selective serotonin reuptake inhibit is. Yeah, Prozac is around. There's been a whole lot of other ones. Look, it's horses for courses. I'm not a keen advocate of throwing anyone who slightly mood decreased on these medicines, I'd like to try other things first. For some people it can be very helpful, but you've got to pick who it is. I think we probably over use these medicines rather than using talking therapies, behavioral cognitive therapies, things like that. So that's my own personal viewpoint. Other people may have different ideas.
Speaker 2: Thanks for your cormax. We're going to try and do a couple of two or three quick texts on this. Can the doctor answer? Cindy thinks it's becoming hard to buy pure aspirin and just from these days, where can you get it? I would have thought you'd just go to your local pharmacy.
Speaker 3: She should do that for you.
Speaker 2: Just ask them. Maybe she's just not seeing it on the shelf as obviously, but just to ask for it, I'm sure they'll give it for you. My forty five year old man who's been complaining to my doctors for sixteen years about bowl and stomach issues. Last year I finally got a cold and asked me at the Charity Hospital in September. Since i've been since then, I've had fifty five polyps removed. You have to advocate for yourself. Yep, well.
Speaker 3: Wow, Unfortunately, the polyps are unlikely to be causing of symptoms. Ah hard, that's a hard thing. Polyps normally don't cause symptoms. Okay, they can be pre cancerous, right, we'll keep moving.
Speaker 2: I work with one leg and foot cold, the other warm. Once I moved the cold leg around for a bit, came back to normal. Any reason for concern.
Speaker 3: Depends how you may feel the cold. Was it internally cold or did you feel it cold with the external temperature on your skin. If it just feel cold internally, I'm not so worried. If it was cold, blue and horrible with the external hand on it compared to the other. Yeah, that needs to be checked through.
Speaker 2: Okay, look I love this one. It'll be common on a Saturday morning. Hi, dots, John, have a major grass burn on the outside of my aper leg playing soccer yesterday, slide tackling on a dry brown feel really saw in the shower. Wound sticks to my briefs, also seeps. What's the best approach to treat it?
Speaker 3: You need a proper dressing on it, so talk to your doc. We'll get a proper dressing on it that won't stick. Yeah, will heal.
Speaker 2: Up, and it sounds it sounds like it would be a reasonably large large dressing. You know those ones. They cost two or three bucks each and they water proof, non stick. I mean, there are some pretty sophisticated dressings there. But you'd probably better to go to see your nurse, wouldn't you if you.
Speaker 3: Want it done properly? Yeah, under acc see your practice team for that. You can by the counter and cleaned off with steer of salty water. And where you go.
Speaker 2: Well, there's a bit of practical advice. It's accause you didn't intend to get the grass burned. Even next indle injury you did, even though you deliberately slid in that tackle.
Speaker 3: The next indle injury external force for the resulting another quint.
Speaker 2: Gosh, we're whipping through the text. We've still got a minute to go, and I'm going to do another one high doctor Tim and doctor John as a shingles vaccine still only free on your sixty fifth year of the rules changed, chairs Donner.
Speaker 3: Still only for the time you're sixty five years of age.
Speaker 2: Okay, right, it will burst scientists go away eventually. Cheers.
Speaker 3: If I stick a big needle in it and suck the fluid out, put some steory doun there.
Speaker 2: Oh, that was a painful way to go. Gosh, I don't think we can do anymore because if I if I asked another question with thirty seconds to go, I wouldn't want you to short change people. Hey, John, great to see you again. Please, full of life. What are you up to for this evening?
Speaker 3: I don't know. Don't do the parbi, you know, fire up the old barbie and do a few links in a pool. Maybe a wee glass of rose. Excellent?
Speaker 2: Hey, thanks so much. We'll be back. Martin Hawes's books finally out in retirement. We're gonna have a chatter about that. Eight one hundred and eighty ten eighty taking your calls, News Talks hed B. We can go forever. Lit out.
Speaker 1: For more from the Weekend Collective. Listen live to News Talks EDB weekends from three pm, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio.