Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talks at B follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Take another poet in It's andreck, It is out, The test is over. Couldn't a smooth fows a beauty?
Speaker 3: This is out here?
Speaker 2: You gous? This delivery has in.
Speaker 3: Users the Bold.
Speaker 1: On the Front Foot with Brian Waddell and Jeremy Cody, powered by News Talks dead B at iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hello, nice to have you on the front foot once again. Two winds over, Powerhouse Aganda and PNNG Third in the Fall. But it doesn't hide the fact that this World t twenty exposed some major shortcomings from the Black Maps white ball Game, one of the enviewable white ball records of the major nations without the title, but consistency through fifty over and t tweety. Cricket has contributed to semi finals, but no titles. Are we centaly for mediocrity and performance and results. Our bigger review is needed from New Zealand cricket. Well consolation wins achieved with the ruthlessness they should have been. Locky Ferguson achieved a personal milestone, wore overs four maidens three for none, but I wonder those matter to players in the team that have been below. Post match. What was Kane Williamson's overall reaction.
Speaker 4: It's just finish for us obviously. All having said that, I mean, it took a long time to start and then in a matter of days, you know, we were sort of.
Speaker 2: Not in contention, which was frustrating. We wanted to.
Speaker 4: Start the campaign strong and we went able to do that. You know, we played against a couple of very strong sides who are very well equipped in these conditions, and unfortunately, you know, it was the difference in our first two games and then some decent correct it in the last two. So, you know, all and all frustrating, but you know, I think the learnings for certainly players that have come back, you know, perhaps that as part of the world or in some of these conditions you know, have been somewhat challenging, and so some good experiences to have going forward.
Speaker 2: And the series ended with Trent Bolt deciding against any more ICC tournaments.
Speaker 4: Been an amazing servant of our game, and like you mentioned, we've sort of grown up playing together from age group cricket.
Speaker 2: You know, the ages of sort of ten to eleven and.
Speaker 4: Really followed a similar path and what he's been able to do in the game, not just for New Zealand, but but really recognition from all around the world, a skill set, a strong desire to to keep getting better and you know, to be at the stage of his career that he is at the moment still still bowling, beautifully, still fitting strong as a as a testament do all the work that he's put in, and you know from us and the intersect, and he's always brought a great energy, a real willingness to compete and you know, a big player for us that's difficult to replace. But I think when somebody puts the time that he has into the Black Cap and the effort he's put in his country, you know, it paves the way for new players to come through and.
Speaker 2: See a standard that's been set.
Speaker 4: And I think he can be really proud of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, most definitely Trent Bolt will be proud of what he's achieved and is it the end for him? Joining Jeremy Cony and I this morning is cricket writer and broadcaster Andrew Allerton and all this disappointing in this world T twenty. I suppose we can console ourselves with the fact that it was only t twenty. But the end is nigh for Trent Bowl. He's had a pretty good career.
Speaker 5: I think he's one of our great What's if you look back at what he's been able to achieve over the course of what debuting in the Hobart and that victory against Australia which seems a long time ago now I guess twenty eleven. But what he's done over those last thirteen years or so coming up thirteen years has been outstanding.
Speaker 6: The retirement doesn't seem clear cut at this stage.
Speaker 5: He suggested that the last p twenty World Cup, with the next one day World Cup being in twenty twenty seven for fifty over.
Speaker 6: You think that's a bridge too far.
Speaker 5: And the fact that he wasn't packed for those Australian tests over some of the spider availability would suggest that he's not going to add to those seventy eight tests in his career. So yeah, a remarkable competitor and just very seldom played a dead game. I think, you know, as Williamson tested to the consistency that he was able to bring over that period of time is really what has made this a golden era in many respects.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jerry at thirty four, and you know, at a stage of his career and what he's achieved so far, I guess he earns the right to decide how he finishes off his playing days and looks after his body. And I suppose the superannuation package he wants to put together for his family.
Speaker 7: Of course, he does high older than Wadds. Yeah, Look, he's been a great athlete, hasn't. He obviously worked hard on that. No more t twenty now, he says, as old as has just mentioned. He doesn't play tests now, So it does look as though it could be the end, doesn't it. But he's been at the top of all three formats. It took a bit of time to get into the white ball stuff for him, didn't it. But man a left arm, But what a sort of a goal that is nowadays. You know he brought it back and ran it across site. You know he helped the off spinner at the other end with his footmarks and so on. At his peak, which I guess was in the middle of the nine twenty tens, he had genuine pace. Two, had a bouncer, good bouncer, put people and kept them back. But for me, just a vibrant mover in the park, smile on his face. Looked a good team man, didn't he. You know, I suppose you got to mention Sally. Those two words just go together, my pepper and salt, and on all New Zealand surfaces with a breeze coming across the ground, they could take advantage of.
Speaker 3: You know, he added skills. He'll always kept them, proving. That was the feeling. I got to wads.
Speaker 7: You know, he just began with the new ball and swung it and then ran it across, as I say, And then you'd go round the wicket in the middle overs of a T twenty match and target the stumps.
Speaker 3: He bowled cut.
Speaker 7: He learnt to bowl a knuckleball, so he adapted, I suppose to the game. And that's Those are the things I'll remember, all phased bowler and you know, just a reliable pair of hands. I loved watch him bat watch, loved watching him bat entertainer. Such an eccentric dixit exactly so good fun to watch him and a great team man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hard to replace orders. We've lost the Neil Wagner left armor. Ben Lister seems to be the only one on the horizon still establishing himself as a player and you know, not having a left anna. When you look around the world, every side's got one, haven't they.
Speaker 6: They have, and it's any side that's still that's worth their soul.
Speaker 5: And I just think that, Yeah, we're going to look back on Bolt's career with a lot of favor and a lot of and like Jeremy mentions, I mean, it's hard to go. You had that sort of double helix combination with Tim Sow the whole time throughout, which which really helped under any conditions, and you added new wagers of that and even Carle Jamison in recent years with the test lineups. But yeah, it's just it leaves a void of vacuum and I guess that's how you come to appreciate the greats of the when they do go in that regard and to be able to I think he probably brought a lot too, you know, that consistent learning and bringing that to that New Zealand environment as well. What you can pick up from say the IPL you know, playing around the world even in his earlier years, and then taking that back into the New Zealand environment.
Speaker 6: It must have helped as well as the number of those players have done.
Speaker 5: But I just think that, yeah, eventually he made that decision he wanted to opt out of the central contract and the consequences that seem to come with that that you don't get the same international opportunities.
Speaker 6: But he certainly played a part in New Zealand cricket history.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's an interesting point, Olders. It sort of ray on my mind as you were saying that you mentioned contracts. Do we now have to start thinking of our particularly our T twenty part of our game?
Speaker 3: When you look at it, we've got well, I don't know if you know what it's called.
Speaker 7: It changes its name every year, but that domestic game where the the black Caps don't really play.
Speaker 3: We don't have a franchise game here.
Speaker 7: We were tracting overseas players for a T twenty component of our season. Should we allow some of our players to perhaps pop away and play some of those and get and rub shoulders in franchise games if they can be selected in that level. At that level, the seers, you know, the Bracewell, the Niche, those kinds have played the Clarkson's now.
Speaker 3: So that's just a.
Speaker 7: Little thought to throw at you guys what you feel about that. I know it would weaken an already weak competition actually, but it might be the way to go and get more of the bolt effect if you like coming into the New Zealand side.
Speaker 5: I used to testing a bit like a getto type more with the Rugby Jerry, when you've played enough game that you can come back in and not really have to worry about the contract system.
Speaker 7: I'm just thinking of the T twenties, but in particular that, and that's where the franchise. Obviously all the operations are involved around anyway, It's only.
Speaker 3: That format, isn't it.
Speaker 7: And so perhaps at that time of the year, maybe we could get one of our better place, say Robinson, and send him to try and get him into the Big Bash or something like that, which has played alongside ours, and perhaps he could start to develop, because I'm not sure how much is he going to develop by staying in New Zealand, and we might get a better product and a player because of that. Now, whether we are just saying will our contract system allow.
Speaker 2: That or do we need to look at it, there was certainly thematical change the way things are going at the moment isn't it, Because you're right, it would further weaken our competition. You know, there has been suggestions that perhaps we put a team in the Big Bash of our T twenty players that would then take something away from our Dream eleven Super Smash. But you know, they've got to start and do something a little bit different in terms of the development, because while we have been competitive, we were number one in the world at T twenty for a period of time. Recently, weren't we a few years back? And you know, we are slipping in the game that supposedly the world is asking.
Speaker 5: For, and also with our franchise system, and players are being I guess sought in all these other environments and it's pretty hard I meantioned to turn down the financial benefits of that long too, if you're looking at your career and you know the fact that it can be over in a moment if you have a significant injury or something of that nature that they want to be cashing in, and that's probably understandable. Albeit you know there are central contracts in play here, but the numbers that you're looking at, say in the IPL or Big Bath or even in England, et cetera.
Speaker 6: I think it's pretty pretty hard to turn down.
Speaker 2: Did that come up in a review, Jerry, they're obviously going to have to review this World T twenty issues like that come up. How seriously do they have to review and take this performance of the New Zealand side in the T twenty.
Speaker 7: Well, it's a normal procedure was to have a once ago overseas for any old tour that you will have a review of it. So that's part of procedure. But certainly I think for this one, because you know, we seem to just be a slightly different side and the things that have worked in the past and how we've built our legacy of solid performances in ICC tournaments, whatever the format, and we've never been overly flashy or powerful, but rather we've kind of played the condition and got to totals and then we've fielded determinedly and bold solidly.
Speaker 3: That's been the history of our performance.
Speaker 7: And so you know, we concentrate on being well prepared, brains overbrawn, organized and clear ideas put into practice with matches, and this time we didn't do that.
Speaker 3: So and then you allie that.
Speaker 7: With the fact that we had quite a difficult draw playing two stronger teams in tricky conditions.
Speaker 3: Right at the start.
Speaker 7: But we've known that, haven't we We knew for months we were having this, and so I just feel a bit disappointed that we didn't use our normal procedures. Yes, I understand about ipl and coming back home at different times, arriving in DIBs and dobbs, you know, and all those kinds of things, but that's just working things out and working it through, and I think frankly, they should have been there earlier. It is as simple as that, get there earlier and plays. You could see over the tournament how New Zealand improved over the four games. Suddenly william especially our batsmen, you know, Conway, started to play drives again down the ground through the covers, Williamson not fiddling around, slip and so on with little cuts. Suddenly he was playing his.
Speaker 3: Normal way again. And that was just in three or four games.
Speaker 7: So if we had had some matches beforehand, I think we had a much better chance, and.
Speaker 3: That's why the review should be needed.
Speaker 7: I think our selections, we didn't really know our best side was another issue. Three changes a hell of a lot from after one game to go to the second match, so yeah, it's just a question of what decisions were made and who is sponsible. Who's accountable for that have to be the coach, wasn't it oldest?
Speaker 5: Yes, it would, and I think too that you know, I just concur with what you're saying there to me. I mean, I don't think drastic change is needed here. I mean, I think you know that the last what six white ball tournaments they've reached the semi finals or better, either fifty over or twenty over.
Speaker 6: But it was the seeming lack of preparation.
Speaker 5: I mean that you mentioned about the warm up games for sure, I think they didn't even train under lights that much in the build up in Guyana. You also had It's one thing to be training with sides in the IPL, but not having played regularly in that period as well probably hurt their chances. So you didn't offer a place in the first game when he'd been just come off of fifty in the IPL in his last game and had been match ready, if you like, match for a lot to be said for that. So I think on this occasion that there will need to be you know, the microscope put over this some serious scrutiny as to how they go about looking a here, well, it starts with the champions trophy next February in Pakistan, but then beyond that to further whiteball tournaments. I think to just just on the ground. I mean, I know just how you guys feel with the with the in the circles you work in. But I just detected apathy to more apathy than ever in the past, and you're certainly in the last decade among fans just around the water cooler or just you know, a general chat about the New Zealand team and just even playing in this T twenties tournament. Whether it's the time zone or something like that, it just wasn't the level of interest, or maybe it's just overkill or this the saturation with these global tournaments. Just in the catch up from COVID et cetera, I just didn't feel like there was the normal interest there would be around a global tournament, at least on New Zealand shores.
Speaker 2: What about the conditions they played in all this? I heard you at one stage not overly happy with the fact that they were taking it to the America, if I if I read your comments correctly, And also the quality of the pictures have they even up the contest between bat and ball because they've been a lot of tight games with some very good sides being stretched. And it's a slightly different scenario as I think we talked about last week, Jerry, between that.
Speaker 5: And say the I p l yeah act, see, I came to quite like the fact that I'd like the bowler is getting one back. Actually, most of the time I thought that the pitch in New York seemed to be a bit hesitant though, or it was a bit there wasn't any surety really for the batters and net scenario. Although having said that that probably you know, you get your best performers to come out of that who can adapt to the conditions. I do wonder whether it's been it's almost been forced into America at some start, you know, over the course of a few years, where they're trying and they're coming off the back of this.
Speaker 6: They've got the MLC, Major.
Speaker 5: League Cricket trying to build into the American market, I guess, to take on baseball and some of those other sports and the like, and of course with the Olympics on the horizon, so it's just yeah, they're definitely trying to get in there, But I just wondered if when in New York was offering the best experience there. From what I understand, there were some other pictures that might have been available at one days, but they opted for the South Australian curated to develop his which probably didn't have you know, I mean they're playing on something a lot different to what they're used to, just say, in the IPL. So yeah, there was I guess some work to do there, but yeah, there's definitely a directive to try and get into that American market for sure.
Speaker 7: Look, if we're going to have a go at pictures in the IPL, we're two hundred and eighty to three hundred is kind of being scored in the twenty over match. You've also got to have a close look, I think at that New York pitch wads, you know, where the average score was probably less than one hundred, you know, scores of seventy and things like that, and against decent sides. So it made for some teams. I mean, India had the worst of the conditions. All their games were in New York. South Africa had three games there and they just sneaked through. I thought that, you know, pictures, whatever you call them.
Speaker 3: It just have to be even.
Speaker 7: And when balls are pitching in a similar area, they need to react similarly. Some at knee high, some rear at your head and your shoulder and your chest. From very close proximity on the surface of the pitch, you just you really can't play the ball at all.
Speaker 3: And while it was, they were.
Speaker 7: Close games, and for the casual fan going along from America might have drawn them in a bit, but they got lucky in that case was accidental. Those games were entertaining. That's not the point. The point really is there were no decent shots played. The ICC have had two to three years to sort that pitch out. They left it too late. The pitch has to be in the ground for a couple of years and rolled and let it get set in the ground, and then you bowl a few balls on it, then you check it out, and then you roll it again and you'd you know, you work on it.
Speaker 3: They they left it there.
Speaker 7: It went in in April, so it was only a month or so in the ground, so to lift it too long. It was their centerpiece of the whole tournament that you know, going to New York. So I'm afraid it looked dangerous to me. I watched a couple of games. I saw the guy was it the guy TechEd her. I don't know whether you harry Tech. The got it from the head, Yeah, got hit in the head, old row At Sharma was hitting the shoulder. They were lucky there was no real injury. That's what I'm saying. Trying to face Nokia on that sort of with that pace, it was dangerous that pitch. It got a little bit better throughout the tournament, but it was dangerous early on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, interesting outcome from this tournament. Looking ahead to the Super eights that are coming up orders India, Australia, Afghanistan and Bangladesh in one, US, England, West Indies and South Africa in the other. How do we see it shaping now one of those groups. I think group one is probably tougher than Group two to my way of thinking. Do you see it?
Speaker 5: I was thinking, if you wanted to be in a group there, you definitely want to be in group two, that's for sure. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Well yeah, England, you know they had that radar with that with Scotland.
Speaker 5: But now with every chance to get through Feathers to the last four and beyond, West and He's given themself a good show here in South Africa. You think that the United States, I mean they've already sort of reached their past zenith of the tournament. I'll the impressed with what they've produced though at various Tison and Cory Anderson part.
Speaker 6: Of that setup.
Speaker 5: But in the previous Group one, India and Australia, you think should have the fire out and the consistency to be able to make it through to those semi finals. So it's yeah, certainly preferable group too, I would have thought at the stage. But yeah, it just just going back briefly to Jeremy's point too, Yeah, I just did feel like it was it was a ad hoc the whole New York being the centerpiece. And of course they'll move on from that now to the Caribbean for the remainder of the tournament. But yeah, it did have that feel about it, just that desperation to prove that that crek can make it in the Big Apple.
Speaker 7: Yeah, looked good on the telly, didn't it look the lovely ground in the pop up stadium and they've had just pop up the stadiums around the world. But it really, I mean, even hitting boundaries there was they cut the grass cleary.
Speaker 3: I don't know whether you could see you could see the sand coming up after the ball as it was.
Speaker 7: As they lowered the grass to try and get the totals a bit bigger. The pitch was still the same anyway. Yeah, as far as the tournament's concerned, I thought West Indies got a good draw. They played the two weaker sides first in Providence, which was a tricky kind of pitch, low pitch, a bit of turn and that sort of thing.
Speaker 3: Then they went to Trinidad, got New Zealand first up.
Speaker 7: Then they took Afghanistan to the best pitch in the West Indies, Saint Lucia at Grassy Lay, and smashed them, didn't they.
Speaker 3: So it really worked for them.
Speaker 7: South Africa got games in New York and so they got through by the thinner skin on a piece of biltong. But you know, it just it seemed to me, you know, they were nearly beaten by Nepal, and that's another point we should just quickly talk guys the associates. At some point they got by one run against apart, they could have been beaten by I think the Netherlands. They were sort of four for twelve and six for six for eighty, and then Miller brought them home, you know, by one over, and then they beat Sri Lanka as well.
Speaker 3: So I don't know, it'll be interesting.
Speaker 7: Does that mean South Africa they haven't choked yet and they've had games that are close, so is this slightly different? And wadds, we missed Rob Walter as a coach. He was here before he took our eighteen to India. Now he's there coaching South Africa. Okay, so look, yeah, I agree with you both. Group one looks looks a bit nasty pitty. Afghanistan took over New Zealand spot, wasn't it at the top, top position, and they find themselves in that group with India or Australia.
Speaker 5: Anyone's going to come through there, I mean get us started there. They are a tricky proposition. Particularly Yeah, well you both bowling and batting. But I just think that new left armor for rookie he looks he looks a top prospect for me.
Speaker 3: Brian Waddell, Jeremy Coney on the front foot.
Speaker 2: Interesting point you made. I'm able to ago Jerry about Rob Walter taking the South African idea. He was here in the New Zealand and we've lost some pretty good coaches. Heinrich Milan was another one who has drifted off. We've we've got a situation where coaches are not easy to come by in this part of the world now. But do we need to, as you mentioned, take a bit of the pressure off Gary Stead, split our coaching role for each format.
Speaker 3: Well, it's an option, isn't it.
Speaker 7: And I'm sure it's one of the points that perhaps will be raised in the review.
Speaker 3: I would hope it would be.
Speaker 7: Anyway, we've we've we've contemplated, like like a number of countries, haven't they. They've sort of said, what's the kind of set up for the coaching and some countries have kept their same coach for the three formats. With the amount of the schedules that that are, you know, constructed nowadays, it's not an easy thing for a one coach to handle all three formats and that's what's made you know, say England, for example, they have a white ball coach and they have a red ball coach.
Speaker 3: You're right, we have lost coaches.
Speaker 7: That's a shame because that we don't see why don't we attract overseas coaches wards money, right, so if it's money, then we have if could we look a little bit lower in the pecking order instead of going for a big name, we perhaps go to as South Africa perhaps have been attracted by who was in our a program and working nicely, they've pulled him away. I mean he's a South African anyway, probably it wouldn't have been difficult to do. Maybe, but could we start looking at that kind of level of coaches and perhaps get one that's on the rise.
Speaker 2: Well that's an interesting one because Matthew Mott, who's doing the England side at this tournament, was considered for the New Zealand position at some stage. I think he was in the hunt for the New Zealand role and yet I just wonder whether he is flavor of the month in England. He and Butler have come under a favorit of pressure in terms of the way England have been performing in the short form game.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 7: Well, it's that kind of level I think that we need to And it's more a bit of intelligence, isn't it. It's going around asking questions, finding out things.
Speaker 3: I mean when I mean we've had players who have been coaches, haven't we.
Speaker 7: In the eighties there was John Wright and there was John Bracewell, and in the nineties we got Fleming and who's still around doing his invittory of course in McCullum. So they are, of course, I would expect, remunerated pretty well and they don't have the whole year taken up, so they get the best of family life and also and a bit of professional life. Whether we can get one of those players to come in, I don't know. They have been coming in in the past a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, there's the likes of Craig McMillan, who's been the batting coach for a period of time. Now he's gone with the women. Dean Brownlee is with the White Ferns. Jacob Worum has been added to the coaching setup they have. They used Luke Ronkey of course, former player moving into the coaching role, Peter Fulton doing Canterbury. You know, Shane Jurgensen has opted out of international stuff to take a domestic role in Wellington. So there are those people around. Whether or not they're ready to take the next step, I suppose is what has to be determined, isn't it yep.
Speaker 3: And I think they're aware of that, aren't they.
Speaker 7: Every time I watch New Zealand go overseas on a tour, there's always someone different, just not at the Gary Stead level. And Luke Ronkey has actually played the Gary Stead sort of role, hasn't he in some of the in the past. He's led a tour to the Bangla to Bangladesh, for example, and we've brought an other people. I mean, you see Jacob Orram wandering around the grounds nowadays, and I assume he's not there just to watch the players. He'll be helping in some way. He's been interested in coaching for a few years now. We've seen other players former players around the coaching setups as we well, So I said, New Zealand Cricket are aware that we are going to have to confront this at some point and try and get a New Zealand based coach. But I'm talking about maybe just scouting overseas as well and perhaps bringing someone as an alternative to some of those players. We've prepared and we're not only we have got a sort of a passageway for players, we also have to have one for coaches too.
Speaker 3: Don't we.
Speaker 2: Yep? Most definitely, and you know there is a coaching set up for that, and you know many of the sides have extra coaches attached to them. I mean all the domestic sides have other coaches. BJ Watling was in Wellington for period of time and then went back to Northern Districts to take his role. So there is a pathway for them and it's something that they will have to consider on the front foot. Just before we go, I wonder if you had a look at the comments made by Josh Hazelwood after the or in the lead up to the game against Scotland suggesting their best interest to eliminate England, they might want to mess around with the run rate taken out of context a faraway line, said Mitchell Stark. What did you make of it? Because I thought, if say, somebody like Bubba Azamad said that, that would have been real controversy, wouldn't it.
Speaker 5: Well, actually, when you miss her like that, yes, I didn't take too much into I thought, oh, this is just classic ashes the banter and give them a bit of a buell if you like to lead into the next competition or the next class for the earn But now, yeah, you mentioned that about Bubba, that it would put a different Brits slant on it. And that's that's a really.
Speaker 6: Good point because it shouldn't.
Speaker 5: And yet if if there had been said, I think it would have been a totally different line or angle that would have been taken.
Speaker 6: And there's a there's a sitting by it in relation to that. But that's a really interesting point. For sure.
Speaker 2: You reckon, Jerry.
Speaker 7: I just thought on a on a decent picture where he should have been targeting the stumps. He's just bowlder bouncer and uh uh and I think everyone leapt on it, to be honest, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 7: Josh Hazel did very well but commons commons kind of quiet and just the waters, didn't he stilled the waters.
Speaker 3: As he tends to don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he has played the piecemaker. Well done. All right, guys, thanks very much for joining us. Orders have heavy back again at some stage to uh give a chat on the front foot with the jermy and I thanks for joining us.
Speaker 6: Cheers guys, pleasant, Yeah, good on you olders.
Speaker 3: Get down to that MS enemy bunker again. Boy, that's the land. Good to hear for you. But modes usom singing do
Speaker 1: For more from News Talks at b listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on iHeartRadio