Speaker 1: You're listening to the Marcus lush Night's podcast from News Talks.
Speaker 2: I'd be grinnings. Welcome eight Await Marcus three to twelve. I hope it's good. We you're If it's not good, or if it's just average, I hope it gets better by the time midnight comes around. A couple of things we will talk about tonight and feel free. If there's something that you want to get going on, feel free to jump in with that. Breaking news of that happens the next four hours all across it. So if something happens locally and internationally, you're no stone unturned to bring that to you. By what I'm saying, if you're tuned in, the world's not going to pass you by, you'll know what's going on. Boom people everywhere phoning and texting of there's stuff that happens. What's amazing. Thing is us coming to work tonight where a woman called from Norway last night. Nothing unusual about that, but people didn't think she was in Norway, and people didn't think she was in Norway because the quality of the phone line was say good, it was so was that amazing? Then? Now talkback's internationally you can call from anywhere and no one knows where you are. In fact, funnily enough, the calls from Norway are probably better than some of the local ones. I think it pays if you are on a wally phone to turn towards the transmitted to get the sound quality good, because that's just what it's like. You get your argument across better if you are like that. By the way, I've got terrible rain fade on the TV. Don't know what that's about. It looks like it's pretty, looks like an oil painter's palette, So I'm not quite sure what's going on there. I presume it's probably the rain, and I presume it's probably the new satellite. Not particularly happy with it, but it's beautiful. I'll take a shot for it for you. I don't know what it's I don't know who to call anyway, I don't have to watch anything tonight. It's not like anything importance on blues and purples. Anyway, I'll send you. I'll put your shot on a Facebook page because you might find that. Find that a form of anyway. Where is I going with that? What was I on about?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Phone calls? I've done that havenin so there we go. Anyway, do get in touch you on to be a part of the show. Here's a question for you. I don't know if you want to answer this or how you want to answer this, because it's going to go somewhere and there's method to my madness. In twenty years time, No, let's changed that. In ten years time in New Zealand, what will be more common Jendles or Crocs? And I'm fascinated this because crocs came along about fifteen years ago and everyone berated them and said they were terrible. Then they came back and everyone wears them. However, we also had that time that jendles kind of went out of vogue and that you got those heavy arnas that everyone thought were fantastic, although they were just Jendles with Mexican name and they were all the rage. But I suspect, and I'm wanting to be challenged on this. I suspect that slowly, gradually and kind of h and a devil may care way, the crocs are taking over. Am I right about this? I've never owned Generals, I've never owned Crocks, but fastrated by footwear, what do you think in ten years time would be most common crocs or jendles because crocs are a bit like Shortland Street. People have sworn off them and they want to fight this to the end. Well, I've never well like the Condeshians or I've never watched the condestionis I'd never wear crocs. I'm appreciated people's anti passion of them. But I just want to know from you in ten years time, what will be more common in New Zealand Crocs or jendles. So I've got quite strong opinions on that. I'm curious about you actually report or your opinion on this eight hundred and eighty ten eighty and nine to nine two to text. So, yeah, what do you think is the most common? I tell you why. The reason I'm thinking about this is because, oh that's beautiful there o my rain fade on the TV. Yeah, I'll send you this one as well, Dane. I think this one's even better. You're just beautiful rain fade. Yeah, thank you for that. Hey, So anyway, because the other thing that I'm thinking about so is that, oh that one's even better that rain fade. Now you never see some so where I want to actually go with tonight? So I want to use crocs and genitals to an introduction to a topic tonight. Because you never see on signs anywhere for dress code. You never see no crocs, still see no jendles, but you never see no crocs. Why is that? Are crocs considered more formal than jendles? And then we're extrapolate that even slightly further between crocs and jendles are dress code is still a thing? And I know we've got a diverse audience, summoch rural, someicit, but when was the last time you were not let in somewhere because of what you were wearing? Does that still happen? I mean, apart from gang patches, you can go anywhere, can't you. I mean these days even the flesh people. You go into the Codu Lounge or something like that, and all the businessmen on the weekend are dressed like Toddler's in sort of long shorts and kind of sandals. So I'm wondering if dresseddand is still a thing and you can still get turned away from a bath I've not been in the right clothes. I'm sure you can in some places. I guess it depends on what security guards they've got. Cam Marcus, welcome. Cam's just proven my point about the quality of the cell phone lines has come through and is self terminated straight away. I want to talk about dress codes and when was the last time you got turned away because of what you were wearing. Once upon a time, for me, you could not go anywhere wearing jeans. Sorry too casual people would say these days probably you'd go places to be known. That's not wearing jeans. So anyway, I am quite quite keen to talk about that tonight. Get in touch. Oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty and nine two nine to to text. It's crocs versus jendles and dress standards or dress codes. Oh eight hundred eighty T and you can call back if you like to. Oh eight hundred cam you can call back if you want to as well. Oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty and nine to nine two to text, do come through? You want to start the whole wall rolling tonight? Oh eight hundred eighty ten A D and nine two nine too to text? Looking for to what you've got to say? I'll get to the texts. Did cam come back? No good cams going through a cams going through a bad patch aren't we all cheapest creepers? Marcus, are you feeling okay? You sound like a colt is coming on in the day after surf Raglin. I can't imagine sending my kids to kindy without crocs. Wow, breaking news. What's Kroc mean, Marcus, never heard of it. That's a worry. Crocs the Devil's foot were everywhere a social misfit. In my honest opinion, I feel about this quite strongly. Wow, I've got no problem. I'll try not to be judgmental with footwear. However, I've never liked jendles because I've never liked anything between my toes. And once upon a time I did get a pair of footwear. It was a form of footwear that you could bury. They were self composting. It was quite a thing. I had to call the pet means he's the shoe whisper to find me a pear, and he did. But they had like a toe loop that we're run your toe just to have crippled me, like anywhere do anything down there? So anyway, moodoc Marcus welcome, Okay.
Speaker 4: Marcus after him? The last time someone got to when I got the knight for a dress code, oh yeah, yeah, because the casino and the often said he used to be very very strict on what you could and you couldn't wear when at first open yes, yes, and then they got slacker and slacker and they let you in the Jandles shorts whatever. But I went in one night and I was the Jandle's shorts and a singlet, and I went up the security guards and they said no, no singlets, and I was like, oh really, And so at the time I was driving my mother's car, so I went down to my mother's car. It seems like a lot smaller me. You had this old woolen what you call it cardigan I think I think very like stretched it over up to my elbows and we're all bolding out and they went up there and live. But you know, they see very strick. But I'm a big eyeing companies most of time, but very really these as you.
Speaker 2: Do, you know, do you not get anywhere in gum boots.
Speaker 4: I lived at the Hawks Pay for a while and even issue didn't been doing a gumboats, you.
Speaker 2: Know, Murdoch, which is a good thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, someone in some ways gumboats might be the new thing coming in. I think they might be the big thing.
Speaker 2: Yes, of course, because I've seen Kate Moss at Glastonbury with those with those bowbery ones that go up the thigh with a buckle on. They're quite smart, aren't they. They've become dera, haven't they?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and misially played for orcogram OFFESSI Steen and my niece that goes to place Nickball and you go to the flash of the Auckland School games and a lot of people are rocking the old red bends trying to sort of lumbing.
Speaker 2: And what do you call it? What do you call the town that's what do you call a towny that's pretending they are from the country? You call them a The rural people have a view on that, won't they?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 7: I don't know?
Speaker 3: And what.
Speaker 8: Gamma?
Speaker 9: Yeah, you don't want to.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'll appreciate the first words, but I'm good. Just ask me.
Speaker 2: I'll just google it. I think I don't want to get mixed. I don't want to get mixed. I don't want to get mix skimming with the work computer. But I'll try it. I'll try a fig jammer. Okay, bye bye, it's having I get mixed skimming anyway. Eighteen past eight, eight hundred and eighty eight. I certain know what a fig gemmer is. I don't think it's going to cut. It's not going to come up on Urban Dictionary, is it. Oh, it doesn't seem to be too bad. Actually, anyway, get in touch with talking dress code. So when was the last time? What are you not getting with these days? I know, and in Theble people have been defence he dress parties and they've been dressed as Nazis and stuff, and they haven't got fair enough. But I'm wondering what you need to do not to get lead in somewhere these days. I think crocs probably are de raguir. I think if you had jendles you have put socks on with them. I think jendles look smart. If you've got a pair of those socks with individual toes a toe sock, always think they look good. Anyway, get in touch head on midnight. Oh wait, undred eighty we're talking about dress codes and crocs Marcus. I remember the rules around town were no black jeans and you must have a collar. As for Jendles, the guy on the adverture of change to sign to no shorts Marcus, crocs great microplastics as they wear down. Don't forget the sea level rising due to climate change. Goodness, Oh, our fig jam is an acro. It's good. Just ask me. Oh, by the way, I saw a really good you know how we sometimes doing mnemonics, and I saw a really good mnemonic today for the Great Lakes and it was phenomenal. How to remember the Great Lakes. I'll bring it, Okay, just see if I can find I should have taken a screenshot. Yeah, fantastic. So the mnemonic for remembering the Great Lakes is Lisa likes licking lettuce lightly, So that's the way to remember them. Lisa likes licking lettuce lightly. And it's Alpha Lake Superior, Alpha Lake Michigan, Alpha Lake Huron, Alpha Lake Erie, Alpha Lake Ontario. Brilliant. That's the Internet for you. And they think they want to ben it for sixteen year old. So good a twenty three. Good evening, Rodney. It's Marcus, Welcome Rodney.
Speaker 7: Okay.
Speaker 8: I guess hey, Look, I'm class Christia. Are you doing this from home or from the office?
Speaker 2: I do that. I work from the office.
Speaker 8: I go that fairness. Look, I'm amazed with the International Caliphone things. I deal within the air Q eight Egypt, and when I'm a pankle, it's brilliant. It's just like you don't you know, as clear as day?
Speaker 2: Is it from land? Is it from landlines or wallyphones.
Speaker 8: Nasal phones? Just what WhatsApp?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's unbelievable. Ah, we do, but remember we do. We do have facility that people can phone talk back via WhatsApp overseas, don't we. Then, yeah, you can call up with a WhatsApp. It's never been done though, has it?
Speaker 9: Then?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So if someone messages that, we can call them back and they can do a conversation what'sapp from overseas, which is pretty amazing.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, And I remember when Carrie Wooden was in London doing a show from London a few years ago, and you wouldn't even know she was over there.
Speaker 2: That maybe she wasn't, Maybe she wasn't. There's been great things in radio whe people have pretended that there was a run radio station always had someone in a helicopter every morning doing the traffic, but they were just at the studio playing a helicopter sound. That's famous. Yeah, I'm sure she was there, but I think that's probably all with the tie line and stuff. There's more complicated ways they can do it now.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but I think the guy who does the overnight show, why is he not in London doing it? So he just says away from twelve in the afternoon to bloody.
Speaker 6: You know you have often in the morning.
Speaker 2: I've often thought about that, you do it. You'd have the the New Zealand mid down hosts living in London and the English mid dawn host living in New Zealand, or better still, better still, you were just broadcast the English daytime short nighttime over here and vice versa.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so you can be great going back the Jannals versus crocs. I think channels will always win.
Speaker 2: I'm just I'm just not seeing any any I'm not even seeing them for sale. I think they've I think they've gone. I think it's over.
Speaker 8: Uh yeah, but I think if you're only comparing two things I wear.
Speaker 2: Let me guess what you'd wear.
Speaker 11: I can hear it.
Speaker 2: I can hear it. This is about a summer. This is a summer footwear. Is it you you'd wear you'd wear Keynes?
Speaker 8: No, I wear hush puppies. Really, Yeah, they're slip on ones. I don't so much work in the add least, only think it's great you slip on and just wander off, and then I'm in a boring old person and winter I wear socks, just really.
Speaker 2: Annoyle, well out of the hush to wear socks. Yeah, and to work without a.
Speaker 8: Shoe now, no, I'll come my hush puppy slip ons on my.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't you feel lazy with a slip on like a shoe. That's a slip on.
Speaker 8: I don't want to get to work up in my steel caps on but getting bad much relacting on my feet.
Speaker 2: And I would never have thought that was gonna say, hush puppies, tonight, good evening, Leonard's Marcus, welcome.
Speaker 12: Good evening, Marcus. When I was at school, which was a long time ago because I'm ninety five now, but we were taught the great legs to say homes yes, Zeron Ontario, Michigan Aria superior. So that was another one of the great legs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, but that's not in any particular rorder. Is it east to west, west to east.
Speaker 12: But it made it very easy to remember once you got the homes.
Speaker 2: You know. Yeah, it was a bit of a joke that one. Then with the all of the beginning with L. But yeah, but that's good. I appreciate you calling love your age, Marcus. I hope jandals stay is the best foot where, but acc will disagree. I have many kids on my school bus run and most of them wear crocs that they're a bit like Donaldsburg's. The kids just a cold of mind bending advertising. Don't ever think crocs are advertised. I think the only kids. The reason kids wearing Crocs is once upon a time, post Malone wore them and kind of and then I think Biber warned them wore them before he kind of got in a bad space. I'm feeling for Bieber actually, anyway, Marcus jandle sandgropers from Para Rubber got six peers. Marx, please tell us about the one. Please tell us the one about the guy who tied the jumper leads around his neck to combine with the dress code. I don't know what it is. What's the jumper leads one? Ah, cheapers? What's that one? It must be a joke. I've got to google it because I think I've heard it. Yeah, and I think I've actually told it.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, you're right that we've got to find that one. It's a good thing about having a bad memory. You know, jokes and you forget them. I can't find the joke. We're talking dress codes are there's still a thing. When was the last time we had a fight with a door person about what you were wearing? Too casual? You think, well, actually I thought you wanted people casual. I never say too uptight. Jason, good evening. It's Marcus welcome, just.
Speaker 13: Very quickly reiterating what right he said about the hush puppy slip ons. They are brilliant, absolutely brilliant. I've owned about six period of ambars.
Speaker 2: I can't picture them. Where are you buying them?
Speaker 14: You can just you can get them from like the number one shoe wearouse.
Speaker 15: Oh well, okay, there are brown there are a brown river, and they've got like a merry foam soul.
Speaker 13: So when the foot goes in and it takes a couple of days for it to mold your foot. But they are brilliant.
Speaker 6: Okay, this pair of I.
Speaker 11: Just keep going back.
Speaker 2: Have they got a black sol or a white soul?
Speaker 13: Black soul?
Speaker 2: Okay? And is the rubbish? Is the leather a bit dimpled?
Speaker 16: No?
Speaker 13: No, it's like probably a properly probably a strap that they Yeah, it just hugged your foot and yeah, like I say, I've got a law in them all sorts of weather. Yeah, I came him to Fiji overseas. I've never found another pier as good as so, Ronnie, you go.
Speaker 2: Right, I did, by the way, and I missed something to number one shoe warehouse combine with Hannah's. Did they join up?
Speaker 13: Yes, they did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that that was done quietly.
Speaker 13: What do they call it a quiet here?
Speaker 2: Quiet merger? Stealth? I think it's a stealth merger. You should know that with your corporate travel, that's a stealth merger. Nice to hear from you, Jason. Thank you. So the joke about the jumper leads is is and man goes into Le Bernardin without a time and has told he cannot be seated dressed that way, so goes to his car pools instead of jumper cables out of the trunk, wraps around his neck and returns to the restaurant. He says, now I'm wearing a tired like a table. The matre d looks for him for a moment and says, well, okay, but don't start me WHOA, that's good. That's good. If anything with jump Leets is a punchline, the joke has got to be good. Ross it's Marcus, good evening.
Speaker 17: Good evening, Marcus. Just on the on the Jendle versus Crocs scenario, What about croc jendles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's the thing, isn't it.
Speaker 17: It is it is, but but no, I used to be Jendle that Now I've converted to crops and they are the most comfortable thing I've ever had.
Speaker 2: So it's not even it's not even apart from the esthetic and the looks of it, right, because some people are hideous. Yeah, but it's they're not even within the same ballpark of comfort, are they. The crops are just leaps and bounds a shoe advancement, aren't they exactly?
Speaker 9: Exactly?
Speaker 17: And you know, I work in retail on a nice hard concrete floor and the crocs are just great, cool year round, and.
Speaker 2: No one you're allowed to wear them, obviously you're dealing with the public, and there's no drama about the crocs. It's fine.
Speaker 17: It's fine. We sell them, so it's it's not an issue. Probably fifty to seventy percent of the staff wear them?
Speaker 2: Wow? And is it a shoe retail thing you're in.
Speaker 17: Russ No, no, no, no, no, no more a sporting good sort of scenario. But yeah, they are absolutely brilliant.
Speaker 2: You've got more than one pair?
Speaker 17: I've got two?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Would you do you swap? Do you wear unmatching ones?
Speaker 9: Ever? No?
Speaker 17: Because they're both black.
Speaker 2: Fears and without and without gibbets.
Speaker 17: Without gibbets, yes.
Speaker 2: I don't think they're not'll do gibbets?
Speaker 11: Do they?
Speaker 2: Not?
Speaker 9: Many?
Speaker 3: Not?
Speaker 4: Many?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 2: Well, I've never had it. I don't think I could ever see that myself happening appear. When would I buy Crocs? When would I what would happen to me to buy Crocs?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I just don't know. No, I can't see the scenario or it happening where I'd be wearing. And I don't say with judgment. I actually quite like them. I like the fact that they seem to last forever. And the world record for running the London Marathon and Crocs it's getting. I mean it's quite competitive. It's like about two hours twenty like it's not bad at yess. I've I mentioned that two fifty eight twenty four and that's I mean, if you did a marathon on two twenty eight fifty four, you'd be happy two fifty eight twenty four. Now, did you have the safety bar up or not? That's the question we want to know. Isn't that we're the in sports mode? He'd never run a marathon. Flip, he'd never run a marathon, didn't hit the wall. He developed a blister and his left foot that made running the Crocs unbearable. With the crowd support him, going my left foot is going through paint, even though exist on the pain spectrum, he says. The crowd lifted him up and helped him continue. I wasn't just breaking the world word for myself, he blis break it for the people. How it ended as Kroc Challenge At the time of two fifty to twenty four. The Guinness World Record team is still verifying the time, but when it is how it will have beaten the record by four minutes and seveneen seconds. I don't know if he's in sports mode or not. For those that don't know, including me, he had a lightning McQueen mcgibbett. Apparently people give him the evils at the start, thinking was in crocs and they went happy with it. I'm just waiting for an article for a picture. I think he's running with a selfie stick as well. Are they yellow? It looks like a real unit. Actually, wow, is that him? He's got those shorts at marathon runners where that are already cut high up the side? Twenty three away from nine Marcus till twelve dress codes we went the last time you actually got kicked out of somewhere or questioned about your dress at a establishment. Does it happen? I mean it's a good thing. We've become much more chilled out about it all, isn't it? Would you say that people aren't saying sorry, mate, no jeans? But I think even there most places you could wear shorts, couldn't you.
Speaker 9: That?
Speaker 2: Someone's text of the holes on crocs are there to let yourself respect escape Marcus crocs the most ill fitting foot where I can see children slopping around. They have all the giblets, which are badges which they attach. Will be a problem after their feet grow. Marcus weren't allowed to bars, clubs and jendles. Think some still have that role. Slip ons? Are they not also called a boat shoe? And then a comment that it's not good people that wear socks with jendles. Jonats Marcus, Welcome, good evening, Oh hello Marcus.
Speaker 16: Last night on the Chase a guy come on with shorts on. Well did Bradley.
Speaker 18: Yeah.
Speaker 16: It was so funny and he was a good looking you know, good guy can come on. And Bradley just started laughing and he said, you know about what you're wearing your shorts. He just didn't say much. It was so funny. I don't know, and that we got through. I think the shorts brought us off. No, I didn't put him off. He looks fapinous and he's short. Because when he walked back to the table, Bradley was finding it hard to contain himself. And I mean, I'm like you, I won't wear jendles because I don't know anything between my toes toes. No, but I go to visit my sister to day with my longtime friend Barbara Madge had a pair of jendles on. I said, God, you've got jendles on. She said yes, she said, and she'd like my cousin Barbaraho's ninety four. She goes be her feet inside and but oh, I don't like jendles and people flipped fop on their jendles. And my grandchildren wear their crops Spencers of Leaven and he's he's got his crops and he's at Christmas time. He got these things to put in there.
Speaker 2: They're called joan. Do you know what they're called? No? Do you think they've got a special name?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Have they gibbets, gibbets, giblets? It does sound like giblets, but it's not giblets. It's gibbets. And someone invented gibbets. And then the crop company brought up for six million dollars.
Speaker 16: Oh gosh.
Speaker 2: So so that's the way it works. Gibbets.
Speaker 16: My oldest brother lives in Harden where we went to high school. He comes out to x Country at the Kiboy Club once a month, but he's got his shorts on coming into winter and he had shorts on.
Speaker 2: Those hard men that work. You can get into anything in the country club, can you?
Speaker 16: Wasn't The working Men's club.
Speaker 9: Would.
Speaker 2: But what what would you have to wear to not get into the Kaipoy working Men's Club.
Speaker 16: Well, it's got a dress code as you're going well like Papanou Club has no no hats, no jendles, no whatever you can wear. You can wear shorts. I mean so I don't mean to wear shorts.
Speaker 2: Could you wear gendles.
Speaker 16: I don't think so. I'm not sure people shouldn't drive wearing jendles, but they do, don't they.
Speaker 2: I think that's do you think? I think that sounds like something for the nineteen six When was the last time you saw a death notice that said poor Emily dead because she wore generals driving. Does it happen?
Speaker 16: I don't know. But Jendle's not very good on a bike either. You wouldn't be riding a bike with jendles on shouldn't be well.
Speaker 2: Probably the fitness would probably the thing like dr biking in jendles, The good you'd beat, the cardio vscular good you would be doing might actually probably cancel out all the risk of dying when you put a jendle through your spoke or something.
Speaker 16: Well, lady years ago coming home from the coast, she's drinking coffee while she was driving, and she went off the road. You know, I mean, you don't do that, do you? You're driving the road from christ Chick to the West coast.
Speaker 2: What put her off the road? Was you drive? Was it the coffee that put her off?
Speaker 19: Yeah?
Speaker 16: She was drinking the coffee and when they found a car off the road she hit the coffee was spilt in the car. Yeah, it wasn't the hand was the manual? Oh, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't have to be a manual for that to which you couldn't change gears. You're steering with your knees. But I think people once said you could we covered for insurance if you're driving in gendles. But I think that's a I won't say wives tale because that's six a sexist, but yeah, yeah, I don't think any. I think some people probably put the generals onto drive because it works so well. Quite a big range of gibbets. A gibbets, Yeah, the best gibbet you can get is a crock. It's a mini crop that goes and so it's a gibber of a croc, which is pretty neat. Marcus was refused to entry for wearing jeens years ago. So stepped into my jersey with my belt to hold it up. Was allowed, and so he put his legs through the arms and his jersey with a belt that legendary, well you would look like a unit cheap as Marcus. For those of youly forties now who remembers the days the old ugly pinstripe Hellenstein's shirts and buying Hannah's corporate dull shoes just to get past the dormen Marcus. Up the estuary at Point Wells, there's a pair of green crocs floating on the water tethered to a bhuta kawa. Try with a sign beware of the crocs, Simon. Nice to hear from your Simon, dB Marcus.
Speaker 7: Good evening, good evening. In my continued mission to learn the sartorial elegance of yours show and my general environs, I'm an inveterate jamble wearer.
Speaker 2: What what ones but the old brown and white pow of rubber ones with the shark tooth. Yeah wow?
Speaker 7: As I go for a colored soul, that depends what's cheaper than warehouse at the time, because they last me about six months eight months? And then through them or the toe piece.
Speaker 2: Pulls out, and which goes first?
Speaker 7: Normally the toe block pulls out.
Speaker 2: I wonder why that happens, because that rubber around the wheeze down, does it?
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's just it fatigues itself away and it gives a cracking and then one day and.
Speaker 2: You don't actually step on a couple of times, you don't actually step on one and then pull the other foot up. It's not when you've actually through pilot era, is it.
Speaker 7: Oh, I've done that a few times. You've tried to trip over my own jendles. Well, but a lot of my friends see that as a step up because I used to be only barefooted.
Speaker 2: Well, there we go. And what caused the change?
Speaker 7: Well, I just got older and soft footed, and I've got rid of the boat. On the boat, I never wore anything on my fend less does at work. And but I am going to change. And I may even keep you up today with this. Having heard about the hush Puppies and I haven't.
Speaker 2: I thought you're going to go to the crocs? Why would you go the cross? Why would't you go the Crocs rather than the hush Puppies.
Speaker 7: Look, I'm rough, but I'm not that rough.
Speaker 2: No, but they're kind of quite elegant. I mean, you can look like a toddler with giant feet, giant molded feet. But people do swear by them.
Speaker 7: I'd look like shreck.
Speaker 2: Have you thought of giving it a go?
Speaker 7: I've never I've never a water pair of crocs. Crocs just no, they just don't do anything for me.
Speaker 2: You seem quite close to the idea if I could say that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and I think I am.
Speaker 2: I think I have a You got a croc at block?
Speaker 7: Yeah, an adverse adversity to them, crop.
Speaker 2: Block you've got?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 20: Have a.
Speaker 2: Were you have to pay you to wear them?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 6: You do that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, hush puppies. I always thought hush puppies were synonymous with the world ugliest shoe. Mind you, we are talking about croc That does sound ironic, doesn't it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's rather And I do need to wear closed shoes for if you're going to a I can't wear gendles into a restaurant. And I don't like wear the shoes anymore.
Speaker 2: Because of because of the animals.
Speaker 7: I think I know nothing but that I'm just my feet have got big and flat and wide, and I've find shoes uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: Okay, I think you'll find Yeah, I think they are leather, the hush puppies. But thank you, Oh Marcus. My friend doesn't wear shoes at allway was hard flying with the guy. It's always an argument with the airline. They would say it was a safety issue when you would explain that generals are allowed, which was more of a safety issue if the plane goes down than my bare feet. I think for places like movie theaters and planes, I don't like you've been in bear feed in case these glass and they feel they'll be culpable. Marcus, I can't wait till midnight. Does Roman wear sandals very good? The texts are great, as are the calls. We're talking about dress standards. Is that still a thing?
Speaker 11: Be?
Speaker 2: Could you still go out wearing something that for and that meant that you weren't allowed to enter an establishment? Were as? Certainly clothings changed, hasn't it? They say, no sneakers, We get Guccie sneakers for about ten thousand dollars. WO get in touch. I wait one hundred and eighty Taddy in nine nine to text Marcus and clothes. Leather sandals cover most bases, four season, short streams, walking, driving, careful cycling, but perhaps not driving a track door. Some of says Marcus, who'd you talk aboutdrisk coads believe in it's thirty years since Supina Black won the first America's Cup. I saw an old photo from hugging Russell Coots both justin Polos. There must have been freezing out this sailing in the San Diego Harbor. Wild How farrets come when you see what sales GP and modern American Cup teams are wearing now thirty years they didn't realize. Oh wait, one hundred and eighty ten eighty nine nine two detects nineteen ninety five must have been San Diego. I think that was the Red Sox one. Were the boats the same or were we playing?
Speaker 18: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I can't even remember. Were they both mono hules? Yeah, Young America was a yacht were up against Pete Marcus. Welcome, good evening.
Speaker 21: There, Marcus. He's just regarding the Freedom and Campus down Queenstown. You know, I think they should maybe build some sort of a camping area for them because the short accommodation. Those people spend money when they're down there, you know, So that time the councils got off their backsides and build something for them.
Speaker 2: So what do you say to the person that owns the local campground. They've spent a fortune on buying that and having accommodation for cabins and caravans and camper vans.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but there's two lots.
Speaker 21: I've been overseas and done traveling in that way.
Speaker 2: Whatever.
Speaker 8: Some people will got.
Speaker 21: More money to have that facility, but when your freedom campers are on a different budget, so you've got to cater for both.
Speaker 2: You know, no, because directly is the that's the bread and butter for the person that's got the campground. There isn't it.
Speaker 21: No, we all know here and over and over again in Queenstown they're sort of workers for their restaurants and so forth, and all those freedom campers they need, they need money to carry on traveling around New Zealand and cater for them. So the council a little bit lazy.
Speaker 2: I think, well, they're not lazy, but they've got people playing huge rates down the waterfront and people are bathing in the lake and defecating in the lake. I guess that's where it becomes complicated for them.
Speaker 21: You've got people that facility for them, some showers and a little bit of land for them. I think the problem will go away and come and be a little bit flexible towards the people that they make money they gave it. The more the facilities they use, the budgy jumps in it, they all make money. So I think everybody's going to put a little bit of put their hands in their pocket and make it work.
Speaker 2: I think you've got a very charitable view on backpackers in general and their budgy jumps, but I would imagine most of them are seeing the country instant noodles and doing it really, really on the cheap. I know a little bit about this last summer. I camped at Moak Lake. Right, have you been there?
Speaker 20: No?
Speaker 21: Probably, how I've traveled all of sound Off Island pretty much.
Speaker 15: Okay, it's probably fifteen k's a quarter of an hour's drive from from Queenstown, right, nice setting.
Speaker 2: So what would.
Speaker 8: I recall that place?
Speaker 2: There's a dock camping ground there at midnight, it would just be endless camper vans coming in at midnight because that's the time they could have come to avoid paying the ten dollars per person fee that's there and leaving six in the morning. That's how tight they are. They were deliberately doing what they were deliberately doing what they could to avoid paying a very modest fee to stay the night there.
Speaker 21: Yeah, that's a hard one.
Speaker 2: Their bludges they're taking around, they're taking the mickey, they're bludgers. How would you feel if they started camping on your main street day and night and they've got those damn doors they open and shut, those sliding doors, terrible noise.
Speaker 21: Yeah, I realize what you're saying, but I'm just saying, facilitate somewhere for them, and surely they could. They could do something by you. I've known, I've known fight couple of victims or something and just scarffing the good money spent, and you probably find that and then the counter they can really hit them hard for fines and stuff. They're not parking, and they should far as I'm assume, they get their heads together and make it work, and I'm sure there'll be a better benefit for them.
Speaker 2: All three had also to enforce freedom camping laws because, particularly in South and their sparse areas, you can't employ people to go around. I mean they camp and bluff not so much since the Covist, but you know there's no one to go up bluff hill and see if they're there or not, because who would do that. Counsels are short stuff. Please can't do it. So you really have free to camp wherever you want. There's no one there to enforce it. Oh you're still there? Are you still there? So I thought I put you on there down though? How are you put what would you be? You'd be crocs or generals? Are a safety boot? Oh?
Speaker 8: These crops are?
Speaker 21: I used to man used to have a boat the enemy the odd time, and that they're very good for a voater for you and a boat. And they're getting in from the ramp and stuff like that're going inside your boat. They're very good for that. We're inside boats that are not bad.
Speaker 2: My TI from his peak Marcus, freedom campers have had their day. They don't want to pay, so why waste money? And they don't clean them after themselves. That guy's talking rubbish. What about people who wear pajamas to the supermarket? No class? I imagine the way it's going soon it will be compulsory. Yep, they love it. Marcus. Welcome, Hello, Hi Marcus, Hello Marcus, how are you You're good?
Speaker 5: Real good good?
Speaker 20: Hey?
Speaker 5: I just wanted to why not comment on the freedom keeping thing. I'll just just because I heard you talking about it and avonside in Christ church is actually a church just off the team or and it's tucked right off the thing, and they actually they let people freedom camp there. It's taken away from all that stuff, and the church will ye, that's the place.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that what sort of church would what sort of church would encourage freedom campers to be honest.
Speaker 5: I don't know what the dominant denomination they are, but I think it's quite good because open this is very near the red zone in christ Church, where there's no houses and a place that was quite frequent for freedom campers abusing the place with their litter and their stuff like that, and have provided a place where the church provides them with rubbish bags and stuff like that. I'm not saying I don't agree for freedom keep by the way they're them, but I like the fact that the church provides a place for them to do that. That's That's what I'm saying. And I don't know on things account with the nightclub, Well, when you go, it would be still keep beats if I'd take my steelkips to the nightclub bounces usually coming to deep on my toe and make sure that and I.
Speaker 8: Really go out.
Speaker 2: I say owl sounds like if wes thing what sort of what like is that on the strip?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, well yeah yeah yeah yeah light clubs, nightclubs.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 2: And and you've got to pretend they're not steal steel kept.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I pretend I go, I go because the middle work beads. But then they don't have the steel caps on the outside, but they can obviously tell a PERI still it's in there. I don't know, maybe for the violence that some Crossi's people might get into kicking people something I don't know, But they go they're not still kept out there and they go no, and then they stick on my shir and how I pretend that they've crushed me to take because obviously the bounce of the big guy. But yeah, there's never worked. I've always busted out, so you can't. We still cat So what do you do?
Speaker 2: They go back to the car or borrow something or what do you do?
Speaker 5: Oh like throughout the last time it happened, like to say to me, mane, so see he's later, I'm going to text your home because I can't go all the way home to give me shoes. Did your shoes?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 5: So you count me those and soudly I just wanted to say, you must have been doing this gig for a long time now, at least twenty something years. Yes, no, no, it must be close no because half that. Okay, well i'll explain this then. I used to go to work many years ago and there was a sign, a big, huge billboard on the Wolf and Rodot path and it was put a big, big, big, big, big billboard and it said good morning Marcus, and it was to do with you, and I just quite enjoined it because every day when I was going to work, i'd see that and I was pissed off. I was going to work obviously because it was a it was a.
Speaker 2: Are you are you with a sea k? I A see, Oh yeah, okay, you and I have done different jobs. But I've only been on this. I don't think I've been on this one for a decade yet, nine years or something like that. I think this would be on this would be that one. So yeah, Lidia, it's Marcus. Welcome. Hi Marcas, good Lydia, thank you.
Speaker 14: I'm calling about Freedom Camp. It's a topic very dear to my hearts. I am the tourism manager for the McKenzie District and this is well and truly a key challenge of our districts.
Speaker 2: Why is this back of the news in Queen's Down Are you following this? I can't work out why they have it wrong. I thought they've had about ten goes it resolving this, haven't they.
Speaker 14: There are a few lobby groups I think that are quite powerful behind the scenes, but I guess we absolutely need to turn this into a user pays system that's across the whole tourism ecosystem. Really, there's no way that regions like the McKenzie, like Queen's Light Westlands that have small rate payer bases compared to the visitation levels can afford for it to be anything else than user pays. So if it does mean councils introducing sites and charging for those sites, perhaps not building the facilities and infrastructure so that they're competing directly with the private sector holiday parks, but they certainly need to find a way to alleviate the pressure of ratepayers.
Speaker 2: So that means they've got to make a return of profit.
Speaker 9: Do they.
Speaker 14: Not necessarily a profit, but they've got to at least cover the cost, and there's a huge amount of cost associated with hosting freedom campers. It's absolutely nonsense. When people say it doesn't cost to host them, It costs you and keeping the upkeep of that land and keeping those spaces safe for freedom camping and litter and waste management. I mean, there's a lot of environmental degradation around those sites unless you keep on top of it. And then there's the compliance and monitoring. There's a huge cost to actually having people out there enforcing the by laws as well as the operating systems that sit underneath that. Then are you know about managing the infringement process and whatnot. So there's no way that those costs should sit on the ratepayers.
Speaker 2: Have they got the situation we're in Queenstown There already are freedom campers on Primar Land. I thought they'd send them to the WAPs years ago.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I'm not too sure. I can't speak too much about the Queenstown situation. I just know that we've also got our challenges in the McKenzie. We've got designative freedom camping spots. But to be honest, we meet that word freedom gone. We need to replace it with responsible, so it's responsible camping.
Speaker 2: Yeah, although how keen are the how keen are people to be responsible?
Speaker 18: Well?
Speaker 14: I think I mean, we have to be good destination in showadge stewards right. We have to be enforcing this stuff so that we are leaving our place and we are protecting our place when it comes to visit is. And we do have to be a bit tougher about stuff. Use freedom campers to help the economy, the local economy, but not nearly as much as people in commercial accommodation. And we're not asking to make huge them. We're just asking them to have to pay their way.
Speaker 2: Nice to hear from you, Lydia, Thank you. Twenty past nine Marcus, the sports news are to tell us the orbects are taking sabbaticals in ja pain. In the UK, sabbatical is a rest from normal work. They are taking a less sophisticated time known as a busman's holiday. We used to say knocking off work to carry bricks. I don't know if that's a busman's holiday. I thought a sabbatical you did work when you were away. I don't know the full meaning of a sabbatical. I thought at university people went on sabbatical, they went over season, continued to study. So maybe we need to look at the meaning of sabbatical. But your fair point a period of paved leave granted to a university teacher rather work for study or travel, study or travel. Maybe they are studying Rugby, don't know, Thank you, All the lines are free. We're talking dress standards. When was the last time I would imagine? Look, I don't know if this is a situation now because I haven't nah gets on quite true? If you're going out in a small town or your rural areas, how tough are they on dress codes? It's still a thing they say? Sorry mate? Or are bars so quiet now with everyone just watching Netflix at home that take anyone they can. We may be in the Hawks Bay Napier on a Saturday night or a Friday night of some bars humming do you have to dress up to get in? I would imagine the whole thing is much more relaxed. I think we should be grateful for that. That's my take. I think the bars are probably happy to get anyone in them, are they? But when all restaurants we was the last time you were turned away for not being smartly enough dressed? And did you go for the jumper leads? Get in touch here till twelve and what's gonna win the Battle of the Zealand foot. Where is it going to be crocs or is it going to be generals? I'm pretty sure crocs are here to stay when the kids have got them. They're in doctorate from the kindy right through you ever seeing such a shoe takeover? I know they say they're dangerous, but really could they be more dangerous than gendles generals? You go sideway and the wet it gets wet under the hill. Next thing you know you go sideways. You're all over. You're at the old A and E waiting for the author come and fix your reset your ankle. I don't know what the most dangerous shoes you've got are. I would like to hear from you anyway. I can't imagine they're that dangerous, are they? But Gendles hell Marcus smoked like incredible spot at ruin by late night noise, a lack of respect for other kempers. Lequm monitoring is such a shame of specially because it's in the valley and the noise amplifies easily. Oh yeah, they're so on the blood. When they save money for the holiday, they wanted to go as far as they can, but the holiday is not a holiday. It's a challenge to see how little money they can spend on their instant noodles. Basically what they do is they eat as many instant noodles as they can to give their energy to open and shut those sliding doors as many times as they can. The way everyone goes to bed, then up and down they get to about three in the morning, opening and shunning. It's not good. Then buying and selling each other's vans. But there's a place in Lumsden, Glumsden they call it. They've got kind of a central precinct, I think where the railway station used to be, and they've made that a freedom camping spot. Why, I've got no idea, but every time I go there or drive passes a playground there, so we stop there quite often if you're going well Bluff Queen's Tout's halfway. It's got you know, the kids like it. And it's always about thirty or forty people living in station wagons or vans. But every time they're here, they all they're all just during this performative toothbrushing, wandering around, making a song and dance about brushing the teeth. Like most of the day it's all they seem to be doing, wandering around with phone. I can't work it out. They are just such overt teeth brushes. It's weird, like it's some sort of courting ritual. Anyway, Blumstone will come to their centers and tire of them before too long. I would think it doesn't seem like a really nice place for a holiday. There's no view, James, it's Marcus good evening.
Speaker 11: Yeah good. I was going to tell you a bit more Roman sandals. I brought pretty good ones. Pretty good. They've got bacro on them with that sort of thing. Anyway, I tried to do a sneaky sly steep on the off the steep at the bottle store, Camorroll, Crisp Cross Rains Spring the Nkoy. But yeah, so I was just going to say Roman sin was probably the most dangerous out to wear.
Speaker 2: What do you reckon? Was the design felt that caused you to go sideways?
Speaker 18: Uh?
Speaker 11: Well, I'm not too sure. It's probably the group.
Speaker 2: Were you're sweety underfoot, we're sliding because sometimes you can slide in a sandal between your feet and the top of the soul.
Speaker 11: Oh yeah, that's right. Yeah, No, no, no, no, it was the back part. Was it the back part? Yeah, I haven't.
Speaker 2: Seen a Roman sandal with valcro. Where had you got them?
Speaker 11: Uh? It wasn't It wasn't the wheelhouse. Uh I can't remember.
Speaker 2: What had you got from the bottle shop?
Speaker 11: No, no, no, no, no, no, Well I already had them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah, but what what what had your just?
Speaker 11: Oh the sandals Roman sandals?
Speaker 18: Yeah?
Speaker 2: But did you say you were walking out of the bottle shop?
Speaker 11: Now, I was walking to the bottle shop. Okay, year, I was quite quite pleased you.
Speaker 2: So did you get to the bottle shop? Would you have to tap out?
Speaker 11: Yeah? I just no, no, no, I was with a couple of friends, so we walked.
Speaker 2: Were injured.
Speaker 11: Uh, my ankle was was for a bit, but then to come right the next day. And I've been wearing the medicines and hitdn't had any problems. But I was say, you buy a new pier, you buy new Peer sandals, Roman sandals, you gotta watch out because it's the old they spraying the ankle.
Speaker 2: I'd say that's pilot era though, James, I'd say you sound like the sort of guy that could come a cropper in any kind of footwear because that okay, was it like I see or anything?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 2: Rain, Oh yeah, Rain, they'll do it, James. Nice to hear from you. Thank you, oh boy. Twenty seven to ten. If you want to be a part of it, freedom camping, freedom camping. Yeah, I'm amazed they're still heaven in Queenstown. I can't imagine who would be wanting it or advocating for it, but yeah, you never know. Anyway, probably should have read the article. Although I heard one of the councils speaking about one of the councils used to be breakfast radio. They're kind of fairly, kind of alively unit that one. He spoke quite well. I thought one of us hood but I think it was like woodstock in the lake. So I don't quite know what's going on up there. To Marcus. Good evening and welcome.
Speaker 22: Hey Marcus.
Speaker 4: How's going?
Speaker 2: Yeah, good time?
Speaker 3: How you go?
Speaker 18: All right?
Speaker 9: You can make it?
Speaker 14: Hey.
Speaker 9: I had a bit of a chuckle when you talk about the havenas. I just chucked them out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. Well, to me, they didn't look that. To me, they didn't look that comfortable.
Speaker 9: Well, I guess you know, general in particular can't be comfortable, especially in summer and when you're you know, when you're sweating and you're walking on Queen Street and the black tar stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's and but but I've.
Speaker 9: Got a bit of a story. I remember, probably about ten years ago, I was evan Guadalajara mixed. Do you know I've been in the army so ricked all over the world and I could spott a bloody kiwi from a mile away back. It was raining and there's the bro with his jendles on.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Oh and do you acknowledge him?
Speaker 18: Oh?
Speaker 9: Of course, you know that the two eyebrows salute matey and went up to you know, the bloke from I think he might have been from the Hawks Bay and he's catching rugby over there, and you know, one thing led to another. We ended up in the bar and Mixico. You can just pay anyone. They don't care what you're wearing. Yep, sure enough he went out in the bloody hair irons.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's probably a good thing that you can recognize people internationally, because Key was with the generals everywhere, wouldn't they We might have lost that identity.
Speaker 9: Oh I'll tell you what that is our identity. But when you talk about crops pretty much all the kids and the schools wearing crops now.
Speaker 2: With them, all of them because I think they take them. I think they take them off for the class too. I think they want something because you've got hat. I think with these days a kid to go have hats as well when they're out, and it's just it's just easy.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's easy to put on. I mean especially you know if you're tying lace takes a bit of time or your mates have already run off to the playground.
Speaker 2: Is credit Guadalajara, it's not coastal.
Speaker 22: Is it?
Speaker 9: No, noolated. I was actually based in Mexico City most of the time.
Speaker 2: Were you there for on assignment?
Speaker 9: Yeah? Yeah, I been all over the world made I was there, and I was in Central Africa. I was in Peru. I think my last assimmon I might have. I was even the Solomon. So the good question to home.
Speaker 2: But the stuff when you're in South America or Central America and so in South America, that's that's private security stuff. That's not with using armed forces, is it.
Speaker 14: No?
Speaker 9: No, No, that's private security stuff. I thought sort of a mersonary mate, But yeah, I'm retired.
Speaker 2: And mercenary and gendles a hit the going. Okay, you've got a book there, or just leave it all in your head.
Speaker 9: Leave it all in my head, mate. Yes, what happens on tour stays on.
Speaker 2: That's what I thought. The only part I was asking about whether it was coastal? Tom answer me this. Always used to see gendles washing up on the beach. You'd always see generals, never a matched Pierre because I presume fishermen or boaties they fell off their feet jumping on. But you don't see crocs washed up? No, why not? Do they not last? Do they break up? Or people they're too valuable and people don't let them go.
Speaker 9: I think it's a valuable they're a piece of gold nowadays. Well, one story I will share, uh, you know, being back in New Zealand and I love it and living back here, lived overseas for twenty odd years. But like I said, the Genderle story is always a synonymous Zealan. But I was on the Mexico American border about fifteen years ago and shoes, millions of shoes would always be washed up on the shorelining close to San Diego. Okay, so what are the people doing. Are they swimming over or are they They were just leaving their shoes behind and they're.
Speaker 2: Leaving the shoes before they before they swim into America. Is that what's happening.
Speaker 9: Yeah, well they were doing that, they being I don't know if they're doing it now. Trump on board. There's been digging holes to go over to the States.
Speaker 2: So you're right barefoot, do you?
Speaker 9: Well, apparently they do. But yeah, it's an interesting world. It's an interesting world.
Speaker 2: Nice to hear from your tim Thanks to your call. Hi, Nathan, it's Marcus. Welcome. No, Marcus good thinking.
Speaker 10: Nathan had to get involved in the crops check. Once you've run a here of crops, you'll never you'll never go back to your year old school Mark.
Speaker 2: Jandles exactly, exactly, exactly comp.
Speaker 10: On the front door pier or on a back door pier. And I've got I wouldn't call it a dress here, but just a pair of cross I just keep for you know, for special occasions, very very comfy. I came back from Thailand with about nine peers of fake cross some of the kids and some for myself. Paid about something back to peer in Thailand for the fake crops. But honestly, mate, your your your feet will will love you for it after going you know, the old school genders are terrible for your feet.
Speaker 2: That's it. Terrible between terrible between your toes, terrible teen.
Speaker 10: The toes and the kids show me you can go to sports road as well, so you're not going to have that problem where they slip off, you know, slip out the back of a gender. You can put that strap around the back of the ankle and it's you know, health and safety approved or whatever. It's it's the way to go. Yeah, once you once you're going across, will never go back to the old school.
Speaker 2: Do you worry that the financial model is not sustainable because they never wear out the company might go bun, Well, well they do.
Speaker 10: My kids wear them every day and they do wear out eventually. But maybe that's just the fake crops that I've been going from from Thailand. But yeah, we.
Speaker 2: Eventually, and you know, I think with my kids they grow out of them. They leave them at the beach and they float away or they grow out of them.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, but yeah, that great.
Speaker 2: Do you go with your front door paer and your back door pier and you're out for dinner paer, Are they all the same color?
Speaker 10: I've got a beige, I've got a black for the front door, and I've got a kind of a navy blue for special for wearing out. So yeah, I run three different colors.
Speaker 2: You got gibbets, No gibbets trying to a couple of gibbets.
Speaker 10: Yeah, we got some t W gibbets or something, and they tried some on there. But I just like to run them pretty neat and playing and classy, you know.
Speaker 2: Like it never thought team for gibbets, But gee, that would be gibbets Central, wouldn't it. Gee t WHU for gibbets. They probably can't call them gibbets, can They never thought of team who for gibbets?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 2: Gee boy, you can buy a lot quite cheaply.
Speaker 11: Loop.
Speaker 2: I like the crock gibbet, which is a gibbet, which is a tiny crock you put on your crocs. Ultimately, you want a tiny crock gibbet for the tiny crock gibbet. It's pretty meta. I think, as they say, crocs are garbage, flip flops of garbage you'll sink swimming and sneakers. They leave the shoes on the shoreline. The tide comes in and grabs the shoes. Marcus. I enjoyed the last caller. However, I would never use the word class and crocs in the same sentence. Well, some of you people are too fixed in your beliefs. Things evolve. I mean the crocs. Some of those crocs coalabs on the catwalk. I mean they were quite high end. Marcus. There was a Red Rooster restaurant in Milton about fifty metres south of the four Square, just past the Bend. Well, it's not the bend, it's the kink, Marcus. Bring back cowboy boots. I love them, but feel a bit say wearing them even better with a proper cowboy hat on too, Adam. I think the one thing cowboy boots were good for with if you've got a horse. Apart from that, not much juice, that's opinion, Marcus. Look up kroc plant is it's a great way for your old crocs. Woll it's a good idea. We've never heard of that, croc planters. I'll look it up for you. Do you just put your do you just put dirt in your crocs? I can't imagine what it's like I'm trying to visualize it. Oh you hang them on a wall, banging them to a wall and your plank cacked ie in them, and they're called croc pots. Not a bad idea crop planters. There you go for very pinterest looking Marcus. My husband has real crocs that have leather trim, quite expensive chairs and archiees. Jandle's game changer for comfort and agendaal look bad though they're all kind of a one They're but one piece. He looking the archies jandles are not on the way out. That scare mngering. What a bet? Write that down. I'll come back in ten years and see if it's still on, Marcus. For work, I have a for work, I have crocs bistro. They're for chefs, they have no holes, great on hard kitchen floors. And for my civy where I wear jandles all year round. His general purpose, I have archies. They're Ossie made jandles so cumfort, have arch support and are one piece. One piece. Is that a good thing? Means of this?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 2: Mind, I don't think he actually replaces their straps on their generals anyway, do they, Marcus. I've a pair of made in New Zealand. Good quality jendles brought at the warehouse nineteen ninety eight, sorry, nineteen eighty eight. They have a one inch rubber base. They are as still as good as the day I've bought them. They have never broken. Wear them three months every year since nineteen eighty eight. Marcus, my uncle in the seventies, had a pair of freezing works white steel cap gun boots he cut down to a slip on jendle slip on sandal or jendles, he called them. He drilled a few twenty millimeters holes in them so the air could circulate. He was buried in them in seventy five. They look just like crocs. What a leech had getting buried in those? Wow? Oh, you gotta love a modified gun boot. Not many have the ability to carry that off, but yes, they would look like a croc. I can just visualize as I'm talking about it. How are you going? People? Welcome HDDLE twelve. Get in touch. My name's Marcus. Good evening emails, text there, good your calls even better. It all works. Does he breaking news for me now? And midnight you will hear about it here. First. I don't know what's going to happen. Trump's been quiet. Oh he's in Saudi Arabia. I think he's right now meeting the crown print. According to the BBC, probably don't have a look at a new plane as a brand new plane. Well it's not brand new that it's thirteen years old. It's new to him. Still a good price exale value. I don't know. Four to forty million, Well, I mean's not they're not selling it. He just used it for three and a half years and it goes to his library or you know. I don't know what happens to it then. But job done on that one. The way the show works, I said, what's going to be left in ten years time? Is it going to be a gendles? Is it going to be crocs? And the reason is because sometimes it bars, it says no jendles or scuffs, but it never says no crocs. So can you go anywhere and crocs? And by the way, when was the last time you weren't allowed to go somewhere because of how scruffly you were dressed? Always felt a challenge for me. I always said, I'm we're going to kick you back on now, and for a long time, it was no genes or you were too casual. Normally it was a problem when you went to christ Jurch. And I'm always thinking, well, surely they want people casual. I mean, what I should be saying is too uptime, but no, too casual. Anyway, we are talking about that tonight. That's the main topic. But a freedom camp is bubbling around. That's been a perennial talkback topic. But you know, the thing is about freedom campus. It's easy to say no freedom camping, but it's extremely hard to police because they are tricky and they're deceitful, and they text each other and they exchange secret, devious things to do to exploit this country. But they are spending their six dollars a day on instant noodles. Anyway, maybe we just need to pray for them, because actually obsessing about their mean, spirit, spirited this is not going to do much for them.
Speaker 9: Is it.
Speaker 2: Get in touching on a talktill twelve, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty nine nine to text. By the way, the two point seven meter long alligator that start and doctored a little two with Steve Irwin and Eddie Murray. Eddie Murphy rather has died. It's been a tough day for those right to the Irwins. Laurie Marcus Welcomes.
Speaker 20: You certainly got hi Marcus. You certainly got her in for the for the Freedom Canvas.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 20: The when you think about the decline of the jendles, strangely enough, there's two major New Zealand brands that are sort of pushing them right now. Well, you know, the Scaler up and they do a thing called a red bandle.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I don't know about that. Have you ever see anyone many people wearing them?
Speaker 20: I haven't seen them. Probably if it's a warm day a mystery creek, you could probably wear them round. But the other one that's doing one is swan Dry. Well, it's called a swandle. Is it really a red a red tartan jendle?
Speaker 11: How come?
Speaker 2: How come you're on to all of this?
Speaker 20: Just a casual look on the old Google jendle and they'll.
Speaker 2: Come up a swan Dry jendle. That seems to me to be a swan Dry crime.
Speaker 20: Well, it's called a swandle quite like that?
Speaker 2: Quite like that?
Speaker 20: Yeah, but they've got them in the Red Black Chick. But yeah, so I know but it must have met. I haven't seen any of those around. I think I've seen some bandals about.
Speaker 7: You know they do.
Speaker 20: They do the good size. They sell them up at the one of the local farm produce plates.
Speaker 12: Here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a swan dry and red bandy hit of the curve. They'll be doing a swan dry croc, a tartan crock and a red crop. That was what they because I think the jandals, I think the Jendles.
Speaker 20: By date well must be a bit of optimism that marketing. But those early crocs they were, they were lethal as far as slipping. Well, I might have mean rip off ones and I got some blue ones once they've got smooth under ethan. If you've got on wet concrete, you know that your legs to go right away from you.
Speaker 2: They say that, but I don't know is it your balance l I've never worn, by the way.
Speaker 20: I've got a new pair of and they call them all terrain crops. Right now, it's a bit more grippy. But funny that guy you when you're staying up and Guadalajara, he saw a Kiwi wandering around and Jendles. It's funny. Guadalajara used to be a place and I'm pretty certain that's where I bought a pair of you know, they made the Mexican gendle well you know they used to car tires and oh yes, but later on top of the way, back in the sixties. I've got a pair of those there and they worked for years.
Speaker 2: I've always been on a quest for for car tire sentinels. You get them from Africa, you get them of all sorts of places in there. They're hard to wear, they are hard, very unforgiving soul, and they're incredibly hard to adjust. And you're to try and buy another peer online. I'm free of looking for them and trying to buy them, but they they appear to be better than they really are. That would be my Yeah, I mean it's a recycled thing. Recyclable thing, isn't it.
Speaker 20: Yeah. Mine disappeared some years ago. But straining up from Guendalajara, I picked up a bullfight poster. We went to the bullfight on the wall. Now it's it's on loan. It's up on the wall of the ball restaurant. It and bulls.
Speaker 2: Goodness, oh walk a but taller going and now there's the poster still there.
Speaker 20: My daughter's quite friendly with the people out there. She'd seen it and said, oh, we'll frame that, and she offered it to It's up on the wall there, so it's they've got a lot of other everything else on the wall relating to balls there. So a bullfight poster would know.
Speaker 2: What's the what's the restaurant called Lorry.
Speaker 20: It's called ball Ball Cafe and that's what you know. I think it's so kiddy corner to the old rat hole there in and balls.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's like a nighttime thing for a night and day mostly daytime.
Speaker 20: Yes, well, well I think they do evenings as well. Yeah, but start you can get a coffee there on a Saturday morning and and cerday lunches. Yes, it's moving into the market and sort of. Yeah, pretty good. Yeah, we've had quite a few family occasions out there. Really good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pizza, got a pizza of my locks.
Speaker 20: They the outdoor. There's an outdoor pizza set up.
Speaker 22: You know.
Speaker 20: That's really nice in the summer time.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You think they could have put something on the Facebook page, the Lorries post. I can't see that anywhere. Lamb shed Yeah, spaghetti Keebinara.
Speaker 20: Well, he does some of his own sources there too.
Speaker 2: I think does sir Patrick's day. Where's a green wig with the Calzoni?
Speaker 20: I missed this, but I don't know what he's got on his feet.
Speaker 2: No, I'm just trying to look now.
Speaker 23: Now.
Speaker 2: If you, if you when you get off here or sometime at your leisure, Laurie, if you google a magazine called the oda Us Okay, okay, the Oedivist. Okay, you got that at a v I s t The Odivist.
Speaker 20: Okay, okay.
Speaker 2: There's an article from about two months ago which gives a fairly interesting and unusual insight into Scott's expedition. Oh okay, I know you're an antarctic completely say or quite?
Speaker 22: It was.
Speaker 2: It was a good it was an interesting read, let's put it that way.
Speaker 20: Okay.
Speaker 2: No, well yeah, yeah, and I think it's free. I was just found on some sort of if you've read three issues, they chat you for it, but it's just last. But they do a story every month and it's quite a good one. Got to move on, Lurry, nice to talk. Fifteen past ten. Still can't see Lorry's poster. I'd go to a place just to see Lorry's poster. They'll be quite exciting. Doesn't eveone have a wood fired pizza now? Ah goodness, We've come a long way as a country. When I just say things like generals are on the wad, Who knows what it's going to be like in ten years time when we could all be having them by a three D printer. I mean's eOne three D printing their own footwear. Yet, who knows what's going to be around in ten years time of coursh We could all go back to doctor shoals, those wooden things that were so naisy to walk around in. I think basically, when it comes to trends, it's the last thing you expect to come back comes back. That's pretty much my anthem. It's the last thing comes back comes back. But mainly I want to talk about when it was the last time you got turned away from a borrough restaurant because what you were wearing. Does that still happen? Marcus? Generals are widely worn an ossie in the US called thongs or flip flops. They'll never die off, cheers Bears. I don't think they're that well worn in the United States of America. Marcus. My granddad got kicked out of a tab and Totong of fifteen years ago for wearing jendles in the middle of summer. Archie's a well ugly also year, I agree one piece kind of strange. Do they have a high heel? They look like a high heel, kind of a gendle, Marcus. As you read about the guy charged with theft of a railway sleeper, do people realize those sleepers are soaked and diesel. That's quite a big thing over the years they're stealing of railway sleepers. It's why they're all concrete now. Croc Jandle's best ever. Hug your feet well, never get sweaty, light and comfy. I walked ten k's in mine regularly. We'll be buying a new pair for next year. As lived in Current Pa for three spring, summer and autumn, trish red band gum boots for the winter. I made a bit of a stake my red bands. I rolled the top down and then they kind of split along that line. It wasn't good, Marcus. How can Trump be sure the Saudi planers rigged out with spy cameras are rigged up with a bomb? Would you fly in at Marcus? It's actually from Qatar. It's not a Saudi one. Marcus unrelieved. Those dreadful Australian twins that got big coverage in recent weeks have disappeared. Forget ourn road cones. They were far more to Who were the Australian twins. I didn't bother with that, Yeah, the ones that spoke at the same time.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Also did Suzanne Boyle get dropped from her record company. You don't know what about seven to Susan Boyle? I mean she kind of, I mean there wasn't much scope with her. She sang a couple of the classics and that was about it, wasn't it. When her moment was when they Dowdy Do down and they got her on busy good evening, Marcus, welcome.
Speaker 20: Gooday, how you doing good thing.
Speaker 18: I'll tell you what.
Speaker 19: I don't wear gendles or crops, and but I was just sitting down before having a cigarette break and I thought I could look up. I'm going to look up these gentles that I always wanted.
Speaker 18: They were a power rubber. They were gray soul, white top.
Speaker 2: It's a rated soul, like a classic old swe with a real shark's tooth, jagged soul.
Speaker 11: At the bottom.
Speaker 10: Ye.
Speaker 19: So my mother was never keen on us. But you know it was a bit raggle taggle, you know, wearing jendles. And that's just because she liked she always had her feet covered, you know, just that kind of a lady. Anyway, So I was looking into it and it's it's actually very bad to wear them for the on periods. You know, there's a really a serious lack of support. And I just you know, I was on hold up but I just heard someone say they walked ten miles in them in the jendles. It's no good crocks too.
Speaker 2: You did you buy a peer from Para ubb the originalsgg jendles? Are we just looking them up?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 18: I was able to buy them, And did you wear them? Yeah? I did.
Speaker 19: I went with the neighbor girl to cook speech, so I.
Speaker 6: Knew Mum wasn't going to seek you know, Oh this is in the day.
Speaker 19: This was about nineteen eighty eight and they were five dollars in the bargain be it was para rubber on k road well, and wore them off to the cook speech and it took takes a couple of days to get used to that thing between your toes.
Speaker 5: But it was all good.
Speaker 18: It was all good.
Speaker 19: And you know the first fella who he said, your Roman sandals are? I came with cropper my Roman sandals. I think sandals, chendles, crocs as comfortable as they might be and as easy.
Speaker 16: I don't.
Speaker 19: I don't come a cropper. I don't take four. You know, I'm not a very ethleetic sort of dancing person, but there's many times where I have to do a bit of fancy footwork.
Speaker 6: You know, I can see things coming and you know what you will go to footwear?
Speaker 19: Ah, I don't wear shoes. I don't wear shoes.
Speaker 18: I wear slippers.
Speaker 19: I have slippers, but when I go out, I wear That's what I.
Speaker 3: Have to do.
Speaker 19: I have all sorts of shoes, but I just what you do is you just put them on at the last minute.
Speaker 14: Ah, don't you think?
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know. Look the only thing, yeah, I don't know. I'm not one to give foot advice, so I've had some terrible foot Well. The other thing that I've heard is that is you want to avoid walking long distances in boat shoes or egg boots. There's no art support and you don't want to do your feeding because long time getting them right again. That would be my take. You gotta look after your feet, look after your feet, and the fit look after themselves. Nice to hear from your betty. Keep it going. Can't say anything on the La Bulls Facebook page of Laurie's bullfighting poster, and that's interesting there he is in Gua Guadalara, Guadacaolara in the seventies with a bull fighting poster. Now it's in a bulls restaurant. God tell you what. If you're on your railway, it's not a mean feat to bring a poster back. You've got to have that in the tube for a long time in your pack. It's not easy. What a legend. I can't think of any reason to stop at bulls. I'm going to next time La bull anyway, get in touch. Hittle twelve Marcus very popular in Holland and Sweden. Are wooden clogs easy to slip into and never wear out? Well, yes, as long as no one burns them. Of course too, the English had clogs, didn't they for did the coal miners wear them? They are a different sort of a clog, the English clog. Yep, they'll be coming back. I think the English clog had a leather upper, and I think they were probably during the Industrial Revolution. Did the Luddites wear them? It's quite a beautiful thing, the British clog. I think I prefer them to the Dutch clog, although I've never seen a peer in the flesh or never worn a peer clog dancing not to be confused with Morris dancing, but noisy, Marcaus, I wonder what humans did before having nose to put on their feet. I've worn generals all my life. With that, it's a very good point. They probably didn't walk far. I don't know why our feet have failed to evolve. But have you spent your whole time barefoot? Your feet develops in a different way, Marcus. I think you're wrong. Our feet have evolved. You just have to look at the hobbits Margaret. Yes, but why did we stilly develop a need for support? And what's happened to our lifestyle that we demand that. I don't like the Swan drie jendles, and I don't like the red band jendles. Presume they're all made overseas?
Speaker 4: Are they?
Speaker 2: Or I mentioned so? By the way, we got offered via email a fundraiser today for cheap butter two fifty for two hundred and fifty grams. So you know that's problem with butter. When this is actually a fundraiser to sell cheap butter. It's quite excited by it. I don't know why I'm telling you that. Oh, Louise, it's Marcus. Welcome.
Speaker 7: Hi Marc.
Speaker 6: Are you good?
Speaker 2: Thank you? Louise? Pretty good? Thank you?
Speaker 22: Yeah?
Speaker 18: Okay, yeah. Feat Jendles scandals. Well, I've grew up in handles, and most of the twenties probably in jandles. But now I have to wear all sussacks.
Speaker 2: So you know, what can you do where your feet shot the arch or the front or the bed. What goes bad with people's feet?
Speaker 18: I've got rheumatis.
Speaker 2: Oh, yes, I don't know too much about that. I I don't know too much about that.
Speaker 18: Oh my toes no longer hit the ground, and I've got lumps and bumps and all sorts of miss.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's not because you wore jendles.
Speaker 12: Is it.
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 18: No, no, my feet did spread and they're very, very wide. I don't think I've ever seen a woman with wide feet than mine. Wow, your feet keep growing, you know, what, Yes, your feet and you know keep.
Speaker 2: Grow sideways or forward ways.
Speaker 5: I don't know, I don't know, but that's horrified to think of.
Speaker 22: True And yes, oh they.
Speaker 18: Oh yes, I've always said that I've got I was given men's feet because of the size. Is because since I was twelve, tried to get shoes and the shoe shops and being told you have elephants feet, go to the men's department and I'm not kidding.
Speaker 2: So what would you end up wearing?
Speaker 18: Well, in the seven piece, it was quite a few biggest shoes with the platform shoes and stuff that wasn't so much for a problem. But as soon as the shoes became important from Asia, hopeless. Yeah, but I must say wear House. My daughter took me to wear House a couple of weeks ago and I needed some new slog as. I said, there's no way off and she said, well, I just try, you know, And I managed to get a pair of flippers.
Speaker 7: To fit me well first time.
Speaker 18: I don't know X amount of years. Yeah, it's a miracle importing them from America, a Bloodhold warehouse.
Speaker 2: The Christmas is a Christmas miracle, isn't it.
Speaker 18: Yes, I know, because you know, I can go through a whole a whole shop size twelves and not one of them will fit me, or if one peer fits me. Is the ugliest shoes.
Speaker 2: And to get to get them wide enough, to have to get them too long, yes.
Speaker 18: Yeah, they always flip it back and yeah, but now I've got more sassacs. So go to the Soosacs center and they've got me these. My fetisides just looks huge and ever. I must say the sandals actually aren't that bad. But I have to wear the same shoes all the time in winter, the same in the summer.
Speaker 2: But you know do you have to do? You have to wear bright stripes and stuff? Did I food attention away from your feet?
Speaker 22: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 18: And thinking my hair and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: You what what I am? Burden? I never thought of that someone was wearing ribbons in the hair. Have got giant feet, I'll start looking looking differently now there we go.
Speaker 18: You don't man, look at your feet? They yes, And I've got big hands to my deformed hands. And my daughter, and my older daughter has the most beautiful, narrow, beautiful feet. He has absolutely she has the most beautiful hands as well. And I think you could be a handlong goin to fly somebody. She's just uncanny. She's any child I've ever seen who had shaped the legs. Wow, just unbelievable.
Speaker 2: You know, I often hear about hand models, but I do wonder how much work there is for them.
Speaker 18: Yeah, I don't know. I don't know. But people are put in their feet online. So because the people with foot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's yeah, that's yeah, Well that's a different kitdler fish that one.
Speaker 18: Yes, But shoes, you know, I don't think human feet were made to wear shoes. I think back in caveman days we would run around and be a foot. There's still people out there wear better feet all the time.
Speaker 2: In the trouble with a strangely shaped foot, there's not I mean, it's not like you can do much about it, is there. You're stuck with it.
Speaker 18: Yeah, yeah, I've got to have an operation on my feet.
Speaker 2: But before the rumor toy, they were total pedals, weren't they?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 18: Absolutely?
Speaker 9: Both?
Speaker 18: Yeah, and I'm not kidding. That was that he fails with telling a twelve year old girl she had elephant's feet.
Speaker 2: I've never known someone that can speak so honestly about their giant feet. What else can you do so after the seventies and those giant cloggy things. Could you find a high heel or was it just no show? Nothing? Fine?
Speaker 18: No, I haven't worn high heels for the years. Probably can't have got a stuff back as well, so but you know I make up for it a dress well and take care of the rest of the so, you know, take your tas away from my feet hopefully.
Speaker 2: What about the door? What about the daughter coming through with the feet and the hens?
Speaker 18: Beautiful? Unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Does she know it?
Speaker 18: Yes, yes she does. I told her and William dance and shape the leaves when she was a child. Is a toddler, yeah, unbelievable that she's put on a lot of weight. Now we've got some medications he has to take.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, still got chapely hands.
Speaker 18: Oh yes, gorgeously and absolutely I don't know where she got them from.
Speaker 2: Goodness, father's side must be Louise. Thank you for that. I enjoyed that muchly twenty two to eleven. My family origins are Welsh coal one, as they wore wooden clogs down the mine, and we're clog dancers too, Marcus. The latest currency for fundraising is you buy butter and bulk from costcos, take it home and cover of that, wrap it up and sell tickets one to forty. Whoever strikes the button's namby the see Loto draw only is the winner of whatever amount of butter is the price. It's what we've come agricultural nation. That's what it comes. We're actually following a lot of numbers to win butter so we can have baking. What an appalling state of affairs. Get in touch. My name is Marcus. Welcome Hentel twelve. Not think they've ever would have noticed people with the giant I don't. I still think it's something I look for as people's giant feet. Maybe we're not all out there looking at your giant feet, though, I mean, I'm not saying that you know it's your journey. You've walked in those feet, That's that's not the right expression. But if you walk in your feet or something. Mark is the best general of the Surfi style beach Cooma heavy Judy rubber. They are two time blue and black. They around in inch wider than you've fought, very strong, comfy. After a few months that l asked for five years wearing them daily. Twenty dollars at number one your warehouse used to wear them on my cow suck at Eve one hundred for years and the kitchens this year for decades. My feet do move quickly, though, that's stev. I think I can visualize those beach Comba Jendle. By the way, when did number one shoe warehouse combined with Hennahs and which way did the money flow? Anyone could talk to me about that. Also a little bit of talk about the freedom cambers. I thought Queenstown had banned them years ago. So I'm surprised to see that men's Jendles shop the latest number one shoes. Not a Venus Bullfong. It's a strange name, isn't it. Venus ball Thong, not a mambo will am i thong. I can't actually see them. Cheapest creepers some pretty extreme brands. I can't literally I can't actually see those anyway, our surfer thong surf zone is that them? Quite like those? I think they're the ones you mean, actually they're kind of fine at the front and the back. Hey, but if you're to talk on air people seventeen to eleven Marcus just tuned in, so sorry if this is not part of the butter topic. I've just purchased electric butter heater to try and save money. My husband only likes spreadable butter and usually buy that, which is now about fifteen dollars for a five hundred grand punnet. The electric heater means we have spreadable butter all the time, we can use cheaper butter. That sounds like a temu type thing. Is it a butter heater? Just be a bold wouldn't it? Just good evening, Marcus. Welcome evening, Marcus.
Speaker 23: Just just from PERCYA heat just.
Speaker 2: Good, good, good, good good. How those how the how the Freemantle dock is going?
Speaker 9: All right?
Speaker 23: Oh look I don't I don't actually.
Speaker 2: Know, Okay, I just I just got to watch them the other night and cut the magpies were there and they had they went quite well against my other Oh well there might be a team to watch. But anyway, okay, yep, yep, no good.
Speaker 23: You're what time do you watch the replays?
Speaker 9: Do you?
Speaker 23: Or do you watch it on the weekend?
Speaker 20: Yeah?
Speaker 12: I do watch it.
Speaker 2: Well, no, I'll tell you what. Sometimes it's I've got a camera, I've got a TV in the studio, and it seems as though Sky Sports got no sport to play during the week. Yeah, so they replay that. But I reckon I could diverse quite Yeah, I could watch it. I mean it's not an unpleasant watch Ossie rules. I find that I can actually get hooked on it. I quite like it.
Speaker 23: Yeah, it's like scrag. Remember I remember back in high school it was creg and no one's really teaming up. It's kind of just all on one.
Speaker 2: It's not like that, and sometimes it looks very inelegant and very uncoordinated. But other times they can go the length of the field and it's like poetry. But doesn't happen that often.
Speaker 23: And that probably liked metaphor in this somewhere Roman Sandals, I wanted to call you, and I just have memories of standing on the back of Roman sandals, going to Otomoti College and getting told off and getting absolutely scorned by your parents for standing on the back of the sandals.
Speaker 2: Oh so you were wearing them as a jendle? Were you you down down played the whole back? But is that what you did?
Speaker 10: Now?
Speaker 23: It was kind of the cool thing to do, right, you stand on the back of the jendle. Maybe wear some socks but they were just ruining the sandals.
Speaker 2: So how did you do that? So when you miss stand on the back, what does that mean?
Speaker 23: Yeah, well you know how you've got normally you've got the jendle part at the back, yes, and you just put your shoe put. It's hard to explain, but you basically you're just standing on that strap. Yes, you so you get the strap over the top, but you can see your heel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you're just wearing it more like a gendle with just your feet in the toe bit. Yeah, that's a good way to do it, because sometimes you can cut that whole bit, but sometimes you can cut the whole back but off.
Speaker 23: And you think about the parents having to fork the money.
Speaker 4: Out of the that.
Speaker 2: I mean, we all have kids evens out in the long run, doesn't it. But you don't. I don't think they wear those anymore. I think the whole they seem to know what happened to them. I guess the Japanese the cheap imports came in and they couldn't compete with the local manufacture because they were made locally.
Speaker 23: Ah well maybe, well, I don't think kids won't be allowed to wear crocs the school will they, but they.
Speaker 7: Probably want to.
Speaker 2: I think they can unless the school's got a uniform code, and then they probably I don't know what they wear.
Speaker 23: Well, probably a lot more relaxed back home than it is over here. The kids are very prim and proper in their uniforms over here. Yeah, really too much.
Speaker 2: The climate would really it's a bit funny Australian schools. Well, they like so in Western Australia, even in that heat, they were in blazers.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah.
Speaker 23: Well, my son, like he had the year twelve jacket and it was like the cool thing to leave their jacketing on.
Speaker 2: Hang on, we don't say year twelve.
Speaker 11: What's that like?
Speaker 2: Form six?
Speaker 7: Oh once a year twelve?
Speaker 23: Yeah yeah, forms form six yeah, form yes, Now you've got me confused. Back back end of high school yep. But my son and that, like he would go he would go to school with his lever's jacket and they would be keeping the jackets on and forty degree whether because of the wall the kids thought it was cool to have their jackets on.
Speaker 2: And he's wearing a shoes and tie in a long pantasy.
Speaker 23: Yeah well shorts yeah.
Speaker 2: Wow, just like that on summer height side did.
Speaker 23: They mate, what about Shortland Streets.
Speaker 2: Three nights a week won't be back next year? That's my picture's gone. But you shouldn't. You shouldn't say it's gone because they had thirty years. So they've gone for they've gone and people don't think it last for a.
Speaker 22: Week and why why have they?
Speaker 23: I didn't actually know that news. The funny thing is me and the for watching reruns.
Speaker 2: They haven't announced it, but with a woman who's in charge of it. She's gone and got a job at casualty in the UK. And now they're saying, I think you look at the budgets and stuff like that. It's not signed off for next year, so obviously they've got to sort this that might come along for tour. But yeah, you know, I mean, if you've gone from five days to three days, it's because no one's watching free I mean that they are watching Free to Wear TV. But it's just not the advertising or the money on it. It's just so I mean TV. Local TV production is really tough anyway, and when you see how big those crews are, like Shortened Street.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 23: You would have you have you thought of doing a podcast at all? Marcus, you'd be amazing doing your own podcast?
Speaker 2: Why would I do it? I mean it's a good question. Would you do a podcast because it's interesting or would you do it to make money?
Speaker 23: Dam yeah, I think anything artsy, right, you've got to launch without doing it for the money. But Doggie's it's got to make sense. But yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's a nice thought. I just don't know how enjoyable it would be. But you watch this space just I've going to run for commercials. I've seen them a bit behind. But thank you lovely to talk Jess regards just sadding that hot blazer Marcus. The most comfortable shoes I've ever worn are with negative heels. If ever Crocs or others start making them, I'll be living in them. I don't know what a negative heel is, but I think I can imagine the nose and ears keep growing. It seems unfair as mine with Giant to begin with Marcus, I brought my first pair of Archies. I love them. They are so comfortable. Gillian Good Evening, I worked in the Hot and Cold bar at the Darwin Hotel early seventies. Hippies queued up at the door. Sign said no bear feet one hippie would come and wearing jandles get his bear, then returned to the queue and give us generals to the next in the Q. The generals were all to go and Darwin cheers. Priscilla.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Don't think I fully understood that Darwin was a happy town. I suppose it was handy to Asia, handy for the trade. Am I right? Anyway? Get in touch eleven. I wait, Marcus till twelve. I want to know about the situations you've had recently. As far as dress codes is anywhere, are there still enforcing dress codes apart from the casino rather than the casino? I don't know. I imagine the casino they pretty much dit you and wearing anything, wouldn't they these days? They want your money. That'd be my take. Good evening, Susie, it's Marcus. Welcome.
Speaker 22: Well you're a Marcus Oven's rung up for a long time, so nice to hear you. And yeah, I've been a bit busy. So I wanted to talk about Darwin because I was interested in your story because I was there in the mid eighties, sure, and it was a fabulous place, and it was the first time I realized that there was saltwater crocodiles. We had a little gig going where we had this little flat and we'd walk up along the beach and we had the side door. We get in to the Darwin Casino and I'll get dressed up and the boys would go. And we had no money, and we used to sit on the You could walk in beside the pool and we'd just say we belonged to some room, this nominated room, get free cocktails, then go and I was like the person that could judge who was winning, and we'd get money and we'd take off anyhow. But when you went to a pub there, it was the first time I'd seen a bar like the Blues Brothers where they actually had a cage around the band and people did throw bottles at them when they went playing well. And the fifth time I was in a bar where if you look slightly wasted or fell asleep, the bouncers would just pick you up and throw you down the stairs or throw you out the door. I'll never forget it. And the other thing was I noticed that there was hardly anyone under forty.
Speaker 2: Oh really, yeah, how come.
Speaker 16: Too hot?
Speaker 22: I couldn't cope with the heat.
Speaker 2: You had young people don't like the heat.
Speaker 22: No, no, old people don't like that.
Speaker 2: Oh I see, I see, I see. There was no one over forty Yeah, I see what you're saying, thank you.
Speaker 22: Yeah, yeah, yeah, there was hardly anyone over forty and yeah. And we we had some great friends with some Aboriginals that took us on a trip to anum Land, which was in those days really precious to get invited there because they didn't want any white man going. And we witnessed them when they took the kids when they were about thirteen, out into the wilderness and then they came back and all us women we burned all the blue gum and this big pit and they had to go across this greasy pole over this burning pit of blue gums and whatnot, and then they got to the end and then they got covered in the choice of their animal depending on And it was about spirituality and all that sort of shit. And I remember at the time they were having problems with people from New South Wales saying it was cruel and nish and do it that these kids have been practicing it since they could walk, so they were quite a debt. Yeah, I'll never forget.
Speaker 2: What were you doing there.
Speaker 22: I was living there and working there. I worked at an illegal Greek casino where I had to make Greek coffees and where it was like a men's long white shirt with fish neat stocking and high heels and your belt, you know, sort of around your hips and you got paid and chips and stuff like that. Yeah. And my other girlfriend, she was an English girl. She's to go out on the pawn boats and go fishing, but she had to go topless. And but yeah, he made good money.
Speaker 2: Was that her condition of employment that she had to work topless on the prawn boat?
Speaker 22: Well, it wasn't a conditions, but it was sort of an unsed thing.
Speaker 2: I never do nothing and towards no.
Speaker 22: Yeah, you just went topless. And we were all young. We didn't think anything.
Speaker 6: Of it, you know.
Speaker 2: And where I mean, where was the illegal Greek casino? Was it just in some old warehouse or something?
Speaker 22: Oh, it was in the It was in Darwin. It was like a suburb of Darwan.
Speaker 2: It wasn't How did they keep how did they keep it away from the police. How was it disguised?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 22: I have no idea about that.
Speaker 2: But it did the police raid it?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 22: Not well and we had to cook pork. I remember that because we had to cook the port different to us how use kiwis cook it. They liked their pork cooked and lots of oil and with the crackling, well, they didn't have crackling very soft, you know, it had to be very soft. And that you'd served them and make their Greek coffee, you know, bubble it up on the stove and the little dismo you know, and go out in the little little cups and saucers and depending whether they liked or not that you went paid in money. You got paid in chips and then you'd have to cash it out when you went out the door. It was very sopranos is quite lucrative for you. Oh absolutely, what do you think we did it? Sometimes you'd start I'd start it four o'clock in the afternoon, but sometimes the game of cards wouldn't start till like free in the morning. But you always had to have the pork going and the Greek coffee is going. They didn't drink alcohol. That was a funny thing. They just drank great coffee.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you know what game they were?
Speaker 22: I could never and I was a cad player like I could play like Massa five hundred and Yuka and all that sort of stuff Kiwi stuff that I could.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 22: It was kind of like Jim Rummy. I could never figure it out. But then and then I left. I got pregnant actually to my boyfriend so tailored. I ended up going from the back to Sydney, and then he ended up coming back to New Zealand. But Priscius and wonderful memories in my life, and and the boys they used to go to a pawn in strip show for Freemar. I'll never forget then.
Speaker 2: And you still in touch? Are you still in touch with your friend from the prawn Boat?
Speaker 18: Ah?
Speaker 22: Yes, yes they've moved on. One of them still still as in Northern Territory and works with crocodiles at a crocodile farm. So there you go.
Speaker 2: Great stories, Susie, Thank you very much. I always loved I love dar. I'm fortunate enough to spend some time there, probably early nineties, and I thought it was fantastic, unbelievable place, still got a bit of the wild westfield to it. Evening, Brendan, welcome, it's Marcus here.
Speaker 7: Good evening, Yeah, good evening, mate, how's it going wrong.
Speaker 2: Good well good real good good good good.
Speaker 24: So I I I was listening to Susan and she mentioned the illegal Greek so you know, and it turns out that I had one of the main participants living in a house that I owned in Australia, and so I'm hoping she's listening. His name Andrew Zuglio. I think that you know how Greek names are. But yeah, they were just right into the gambling and right into the cash, and yeah, well behaved and all that sort of stuff.
Speaker 9: But yeah, it was a big thing up.
Speaker 2: There was there a big Greek community in Darwin.
Speaker 24: I don't think it was that big, but they certainly you stuck together, and you know, not everybody could go there. It was sort of like a well, Susan's probably confirmed this, but the impression I got with maybe forty or fifty people at the most. And yeah, so yeah, interesting little part of history. I don't know if it's still going on. Andrew's no longer with us.
Speaker 2: But so, were were you in Darwin?
Speaker 3: No? No, no, they came from Darwin, oh I see, and his wife was Coral and they ended up down in my place in Kangaroo Valley in New South Wales and he was the next plumber.
Speaker 24: And it's a good bloke. And but yeah, they just that's what they used to do. I don't know if they did every night, but they were certainly keen on it.
Speaker 2: Do they run the casino at your place as well?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 5: No, no, only up in Darwin, Darwin?
Speaker 18: What were you doing?
Speaker 2: What were you doing in Kangaroo Valley?
Speaker 24: I've got a place, tore Marcus Well, I like, how do you? Yeah, yeah, well it's still not paid off you.
Speaker 22: I'm working on it.
Speaker 8: Are you?
Speaker 2: Are you calling from the valley?
Speaker 5: No, No, I'm here at the moment.
Speaker 24: I work out a walk in the airport and but I am going to be moving back there. Do you know the place?
Speaker 2: It's there, Wollongong, is it?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 24: Yes, between Wollongong and Now it's beautiful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I don't know that well, but I kind of, yeah, I kind of like all the.
Speaker 24: Coast of the New South Wales, south coast of New South Wales is magnificent.
Speaker 2: And I agree.
Speaker 24: The valley is not on the coast, but it's it's surrounded by scarpments and it's just it's just a lovely place to live. And so his his widow if you like, she's still there and I don't think she's planning to move in a hurry. And yeah, so Andrew good blake and shame he's not here anymore.
Speaker 6: And yeah, so interesting, Susan.
Speaker 2: Is there many people living in Kangaroo Valley now?
Speaker 24: I think about two and a half thousand people live there full time and a lot of Sydney Sydney people and Camera people have you know, weekends there and holiday homes, and there's wedding venues and you know, fights and galas and folk festivals and so there's a lot of influx of people, you know, come in from time to time. And yeah, it's a great spot.
Speaker 2: How long would it three hours drive from Sydney? Is it a bit longer?
Speaker 18: No?
Speaker 24: No, to Sydney Airport to my front door is two hours at at a leisurely paced.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, that's close. And you've got land and.
Speaker 24: Yeah, five acres down there, five acres in a big house. So yeah, and it's about the same amount of I'm from Canberra as well, so it sort of captures those both both of those markets.
Speaker 2: So yeah, oh, because Camera's quite close. I was watching the rugby league in the weekend. I saw those guys that had gone from the Bulldogs up to Canberra to give them a hiding, and they see it's quite a big there's quite a big crowd. So I guess it's not you get up and back in a day for a game of league, would jou guess you can?
Speaker 24: Oh absolutely if you stick on the hum Highway Canbras from Sydney to Canberra is probably three and.
Speaker 9: A half something like that.
Speaker 24: But yeah, so we're about halfway. The other interesting thing is, I don't know if you remember the massive fire that they had in New Cell, Wales about three years ago, three four years ago, three years ago I think it was. It came through the valley and it took out about twenty houses because it was just you know, out of control. But it's all being rebuilt. But Troubles is very hard to get plumbers and electricians and irrigation people and fences because they're all flat stick trying to rebuild the place, you.
Speaker 2: Know, and you'd feel there won't be far for a long time now because all that waste burned out.
Speaker 24: Yes, yeah, I think so, I think so.
Speaker 18: Yeah.
Speaker 24: Are you still living in bluff yep?
Speaker 2: How was it down there right, doesn't change much to whether it was the weather was shocking today, was it?
Speaker 18: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I was that I had I was with my boys school, you know, they wanted to teachers help us speak the day in town with his class and they're out sort of doing like history walks around town.
Speaker 18: And it was.
Speaker 2: In Vago. Yeah. Yeah, he's in school in Vicago now because intermediate school. But it was just it was bitter. It was the first because the sum has been pretty good, but today was just you know, and it was hard to say, well, it was just and we had to sort of lunch outside because it was sort of it was planned for a warmer day, but it was. Honestly it was. But anyway, that's the way it is. There's good days and there's bad days.
Speaker 15: Yeah.
Speaker 24: Yeah, that's right. You got to you've gotta be tough to live down there markets.
Speaker 2: That's tough. Brenda, I nice to hear, thank you. Although the Kangaroo Valley sounds good in a daylight to that twenty five Passna eleven regarding dress coling, anything goes now providing neat and tidy. But I agree with your females walking around supermarkets and more than pajamas well, I think it's not just female. I think it's everyone. What I think now is people work from home. A lot of people just don't get dressed. I hope they get up, put on their hoodies, lounge around, go to the I think that's what they wear now. Pajamas day and night seems slightly sketchy to me, Marcus. In those days I went in the clubs was busy, so cues were common. The no hoodie rule made from unpleasant night in the wind and cold. Well, that's right, there was the no hoodies, wasn't there? There was a mall in the Kapiti coast that had a no hoodies rule, which ridiculous. Everyone wears what he is. I don't ne never like hoodies. If every riding a bike you turn around to look behind you and just see the beck of the back of the hood Marcus, Newtown, Sydney. We took our flathouse dog to the pubs and we sat outside with the boundies until we all left. Would occasionally pop out to make sure they're When I worries, they would give us the thumbs up and thanks us for giving them. Another dog on the door. Just a friendly welcome in and out. And all that's needed was never trouble at those doors, just great caring and laughter. But if a nassy theme coming in about door people, I'm enjoying this. Get in touch. If you want to talk or read to this. There's something different you want to mention. Good hit till twelve, but a Darwin discussion. Darwin is fabulous as the lady who rang about it. No words. Thanks for that. Now, Laurie's finally found a picture of his bull fighting poster, which is great. Wow, there you go. It's not quite as big as I thought it was. I mentioned he was going around here with his giant poster. I'll tell you what one thing I like about bulls right is they've stuck with that. There was one joke the town could have and that was puns on bulls and everything bull rated. But they've really gone with that, and good on them. They're really Yeah, they've shown consistency, which I'm quite happy about. You can see the rat hole by the way. That's the pap across the road twenty nine past eleven. If you want to be a part of the show, welcome. We're talking Darwin. Of course, Darwin got bombed in that World War two. Is that right? They thought they were the AUSSI planes coming home, but the Japanese bombed them. So what they're quite famous about in Darwin getting bombed, I don't know what. The population of Darwin big also too, so many Kiwis went there for Cyclone Tracy, and all the roofs needed to be replaced. And what was interesting was there was one place and the only thing that was left after the cyclone was the hills Hoist. It's still small, it's only Hamilton's size one hundred and thirty nine thoy nine hundred and two. Half the people in the Northern Territory live in Darwin, smallest, wettest and the most northerly of the Australian capital cities. Yep, there you go. I don't think they I don't think the prawn boat the big deal like they once where. I think the people get their prawns elsewhere. Now it was one of the great Kiwi Owe things to do is go prawn hunting, fishing or prawning. Good evening, Neil, this is Marcus. Welcome, Hi Marcus.
Speaker 6: I found you afore about Darwin. I just had you saying about Darwin and you live there. You said in the early nineties, I'd.
Speaker 2: Been, I'd stayed there. I didn't live there. It was just a break, spent a bit of time there. Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 6: There was a bit of a wild town. I was there in the eighties and oh my goodness. They used to always remember they used to have a pub most people used to go to the weekend and it was called Rage in the Cage. I can't even remember the name of the pub. And it was a big cage where you just went inside and they played headbanging music and everybody just used to get drunk vomit, and then they loved it. They thought that was great.
Speaker 11: It was.
Speaker 6: It was a bit of a wild town in those days.
Speaker 2: Where was the Where was the money from? Was it fishing money or was it I suppose mining money? Was it?
Speaker 6: Yep, mining fishing money. There was a lot of money there. I mean the amount of girls on the game up there was unbelievable, you know that they he just saw them everywhere to the casino. Even my girlfriend knew just a couple.
Speaker 10: You know what I mean.
Speaker 18: It was.
Speaker 6: Not for the course at that point. He said, was a bit of a wildtown.
Speaker 2: What was interesting about the takes that said all the hill piece there was. It quite a big hippie town with people on the drag trail after Raisier. Is it what how it or was it too late for it?
Speaker 20: Then?
Speaker 2: When you were there, I think I.
Speaker 6: Think there might have been some of that there. I remember there was a Kiwi guy and he was a bit of a hippy and they lived in the street. I don't even remember his name now, but I remember he used to always see him and about turn and he used to just live on the street and all the girls used to love him. They used to look after them and give them food and money.
Speaker 10: And things like that.
Speaker 6: But you know, they almost remember him being there.
Speaker 14: Yeah you were.
Speaker 2: You were at the casino, wuldn't you?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 6: I was at the Middle Beach casino that was legal casino the time, and that that was that that could be quite a wild turn as well. A friend of mine, he's he caused a huge riot in the place he was. He was a dealer, a dealer then the two up ring. You know they they toss the coins up, yes, and I don't think they trained them right. It was pretty new and they said, look, whatever you do, make a decision don't hesitate, And it was like it was like a public fology. One of those nights w everybody had come in and all the guys were in the drunk and everything, and it goes out and Brendon goes bad art, not bad art, bang the coin set. So fifty percent said, yeah, roll it with one, and fifty percent said, now you haven't, but you said bad. So this argument went on and the next thing, oh, the whole place erupted and everybody was punching over It was like a Hollywood movie, you know that everybody was punching everyone and he's just started us, right, and I think I had to close the place down for the rest of the night. And it was just because he hesitated and didn't say. You know, obviously the guys some that had lost, some that had won, and that was I mean, it was it was a fair and I mean he was still new at the time, I think, you know, but oh god, it was a hell of Amester cops and everything down.
Speaker 2: Was it was it a big cas Was it a lucrative casino? Didn't carried day?
Speaker 7: Is it right?
Speaker 6: It wasn't its day. There wasn't a big casino by Moderness during casino standards. I think when I was there, it might have had about twenty hunn. I think I think the VIP and it might have been about twenty eight rooms or at tables or something like that. I remember Packer came one time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this was saying that he bankrupted it or they had to pay out or something.
Speaker 6: Didn't they there was some big asi. But the manager was an idiot. I mean he should have realized you know that and stopped the action. You know, I would just say sorry, I can't. You know, I've managed casinos overseas and things, and if you can't, if you can't, if you know you're getting in a position where you it's gonna, it's gonna you're going to take a huge hit, you just say sorry, you know I have to close now. Came out with you own them and that's it, you know. But he they should have stopped the game, but he just let.
Speaker 2: It go and let it go and let it go playing playing what game.
Speaker 16: It was?
Speaker 6: After I left, I think it was I would probably be back and I probab because I think it was Asian people, yeah, come in. Yeah, but the he was he could have really stopped it.
Speaker 4: But you know, it was.
Speaker 6: I remember actually one night he was packer was in and he was losing and they sent me up. I was supervising at the time. They said I've got the deal the packer. I said, okay, you know, and I go out and I just started to deal and he just went get that f and scorn. He be off my table, and because I'd taken a couple of three hands when I had just once so exactly told me to beat it downstairs. But in later years he became a lot of nicer person. That was when he was a nice person. I think after his heart attacks he started becoming quite a nicer person. But he just had a bad timber at a time.
Speaker 2: Would go with a pretty tough while you live gambling big amounts like that, wouldn't it, I mean it must be.
Speaker 6: I mean yeah, yeah, I mean but he was loaded, wasn't he?
Speaker 3: You know that?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I guess so. Yeah.
Speaker 6: But as I said, it was quite, it's quite and quiet. You met quite a lot of famous people up there, that I mean. I remember my girlfriend and I were out in the coffee shop in the morning. We met that Greek singer, you know, the famous Greek singer, the big fat guy, my friend.
Speaker 2: Wow, the singing the singing taint.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we had breakfast with him. He called us over because Linda was looking after him. He was a gil that like a pr gilt was looking after him my girlfriend and he said, oh, come on over. So we had breakfast with him and they said, oh, I'm going. I'm going to the Middle East. I'm going, that said, and he described his route. And of course that was three days later that he's playing get Hijacked on the team w A playing that Hye Jack. I can remember we were having We were having breakfast with him a few days before and well there you go. Yeah, there was quite quite a few of them come in. There was Cliff Richard, which was which was very funny. The what had happened was when I first went there, he had to have a license before you went on the floor. So there was a few of us and they said, look, he's wanted some naice guys. Why don't you got to the Silver Service restaurant. And I'd never worked in a restaurant in my life. I didn't know anything about it. And the regart there to make the d said work, oh blah blah blah, and the Mayor Tenan Creek had come in one night and they said to me, here, don't take some beers up, and the glasses are tall, heavy, and I won all these beers and whiskeys, and I dropped him right on the mayor Attny Creek and he was human, and I thought.
Speaker 8: We were going to sack me.
Speaker 6: But the megad said, now it's the biggest life I've had the years. They said, you've already going again because it's only way you're going to get your confidence back. And as I went and again he looked at me and they said, if you do that again, mate, he says, I'm going to kill you. He said, I'm not got no joking. I'm going to I'm going to get up and beat the beat the abso little lumps at you. And it was there was another time there was one thing. We got a phone call and they said, now what actually I have takes went to you properly. What had happened was the it was a very quiet night and I let the fare go home, the mean Jeff, so he went and we're about to close, and all of a sudden we got a phone call and the said, plus put Richard and he's oninterag you're coming up. We only had that, We only had an apprentice deaf and I said, no, we can't take him. They said, well you'll have to take him. He's coming out. So he came up and he came in and he started talking, talking, talking, and he had my accent, so he got to know me, he said, he did, grab was serving a drink. I said what's your name? And I said, oh, Neil bar bla blas started chant and he put me on the defense and they said what are you doing? And what are you doing? And the dump like this and I said, sing us all right and he said no, no dar.
Speaker 23: When he said this place at all, he said what are you doing here?
Speaker 6: And I said, oh, thank you for a job, and blah blah blah. So all of a sudden, the apprentice couldn't deal with it. So it was taken ages to come out, and everybody was getting angry, and he's manager went up and complained to a Metro dean must have sworn them. The next time, the matre dean and the manager are squaring up to each other, swinging punches. Some cliff and I had just busted us all laughing study peeing us still laughing. He Cliff works at me and he says, hey, Neil give you odds. He says, he my manager. And I said, anahnah, even money, big dunk mate, he said he. I said, I'll tell you big Dunk can handle himself to made. And so that was going on, and then the apprentice Jeff bust out the tears and stormed at the door because he couldn't cope with it. So we were left with nobody. So we tried to get the coffee shop to come up to get senders a cheff up. So we're trying to send him up and it's taken longer and longer. So all the people left, but Cliff Richard was so polite that he wouldn't leave. That's how polite the guy is. They stayed with us and talk with us and talk with us, and eventually they managed to is the guy from the coffee job. They said, what do you want? He says, to get the start. Let's just give me a shuttle but on so it came out and it was so rare. He said, guys, I can't eat that. I said, yeah, you're right. So we put it back in, came out and it just felt the pieces. It was so it was so burned. So I said, what we're going to do. What we're going to do? Now, said, I'll tell you what we'll do. He said, I'll go down and I'll have in the coffee shop, I'll have I'll have someing teet and we'll come back up. We'll have drinks at the bath house. And I thought I won't come back up if the purities were He came back up and I saw him coming at the left. I went as quest, we're over here point. He went, oh, yeah, right, and he sat at the barn and he said he didn't drink in the newspapers, but he had four glasses of wine that night. But he was the nicest guy you'll ever meet your life. You didn't meet a more down there.
Speaker 20: Can you know?
Speaker 2: Good story? It is good story, Neil. With the casino is legitimate.
Speaker 6: And the ones when I was there, it was all legitimate.
Speaker 2: Yeah okay, so so regular casino like Darwin. It was all above board. Everything was what what was itemized and bookkeeping and everything like that.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, definitely, yeah.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 6: It was one by the federal hotels.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 6: The Darling casino is done by federal hotels. And then they pulled out and some mob come over from age and telling us how good they were, how great they were, and how brilliant, and which geniuses there were, and they were absolute clowns. You can see right through them. And they started messed up. And they had this guy who was a manager. I see his name in case anybody was listening. But we're told it's sill Good. He's his and I think he's throwing he's a genius, you know, blah blah blah blah. He was above the manager, I think the general manager. And later on I what a game?
Speaker 13: Ken you?
Speaker 6: Who? Says boss? And I told him I did you know that? SASKI? I said he was a big He was under me. He was the biggest idiot of a he says. I was glad to get rid of in and I said, well, I can't it arming and messed up voice up as well. But it was the It was adding this complete with above board down.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you for that. I appreciate you guys, all of you. Thank you for coming through tonight, and I will do that again tomorrow. Tim's along next. People.
Speaker 1: For more from Marcus Slash Nights, listen live to news talks there'd be from eight pm weekdays, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio