Speaker 1: Football Fever with News Talks enb's voice of Football Jason Payne and Bonnie Jensen.
Speaker 2: Hello there and welcome into Football Fever. We have been signed on again for twenty twenty five. They're letting us do it again. I'm Jason Pine. Bonnie Jensen said two. I don't want to say Happy New Year. It's far too late in January for that, Bonnie, So welcome back to Football Fever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Kilder Pine, it is a bit late for that, but not a very good start to the season as it would start to the year. Rather for our Kiwi A League teams. Pretty gustet that it's started this way.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Indeed, we come back with the rather unfortunate task of having to review three defeats for both Phoenix Sides and Auckland FC over the last weekend. So well, I mean, we have to do what we have to do, so let's kick into it starting Let's do this chronologically, starting with the A League Men and the Wellington Phoenix Men. Saturday afternoon, welcomed Adelaide United to sky Stadium looking to kind of get out of the rut that they find themselves in. Unfortunately not able to do so, going down two to one, an early own goal Matt Sheridan turning it into his own neck Corbyn Piper. I loved seeing him score his first Phoenix goal after halftime to make it one orbit. A mistake with fifteen minutes to go from Josh all Away m Me allowed Luki Ivanovitch to pounce and score the goal, which would give Adelaide United the two to one win, five losses in their last six. Now for Wellington, it's becoming a fairly challenging season, isn't it.
Speaker 1: For players, for coaching staff, and for fans.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's pretty dire, piney and absolutely gutted for them given what they did last season coming off the back of that. I just think personally the sides too inexperienced. I think, you know, there's a lot of young scholarship players in the squad and they're great players for what they are we they've come from, but not right now they're not at you know, their peak or where they need to be to help help this team move forward in the A League. And I feel like as fans, you know, is for you and I and and Yellow Fever and people that follow this team, maybe the expectations need to be lowered potentially because they're not where they were last season, kind of like what happened to the Warriors.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look, I totally agree with all of that. You look at last season and and everything just went right, didn't it. You know, they were winning from week to week when games were tight, they found a way, and yeah, you look at the relative inexperience of the side and the Look, let's let's give some context to this. There are some experienced players not available to chief you right now. Alex Rufer is out, Tim Payne is out, Marco Rojas is out potentially now. Sam Sutton might not be available for the next little while. Stephan Kolakowsky a season ending injury for him, So you know, he's called on a lot of young kids and they are just kids, the likes of Matt Sheridan, Isaac Hughes, lukebrook Smith, Nathan Walker and others to try and fill those gaps. And the other thing I just don't think they have this year is real quality in their imports. I like Kazuki Nagasawa, and I like Hideki Ashiga, but they are not Oscar Zavada or bojed Ar Krave.
Speaker 1: In fact, they're not even Ben Old.
Speaker 2: That's that's I think something which is becoming increasingly obvious is that the quality is just not there compared to last year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly right.
Speaker 3: And I think they're potentially scouted wrong as well, you know.
Speaker 4: They.
Speaker 3: I mean, you can't put all the all the reliance on someone like Costa Barbarusis and Marco Rojas who obviously hasn't really been there. But maybe center backs should have been more of a focus. It's obviously a weak area. They considered another own goal on the weekend. It was sloppy defending and maybe that was an area that chief he should have looked. You know, hopefully there's announcement this January January window. But yeah, it's I think it's kind of gone all wrong for the Phoenix.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it doesn't show any signs of improvement unfortunately. Having said that, I thought the first half hour of the second half on Saturday was promising from Wellington. The first half was a really tough watch, you know, watching them just sit and soak up and for the first time in a long time there were booze ringing out at sky Stadium for the way that Wellington were playing. I think the fans are just now, you know, a large segment of them just a little bit fed up with watching such a lack of attacking intent from the site. I get what they're doing, and it worked for them last year. They made themselves very difficult to break down and they look to catch teams on the break and score goals that way, and they did it so effectively. But when you don't have that part, you just look increasingly negative when nothing is being created in the middle of the attacking third.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's quite concerning as well to hear the hear the fans doing and you know they've they've been a lot with the Phoenix side and they you know, have been there through thick in them. But Chief he's even said it, you know, there's there's seems to be a real attitude problem within the in the group right now. And I wonder if it would take someone like maybe even David Ball, like where has he been? He obviously gets along with the younger players in this in the academy scholarship set up playing for that that reserve team. Maybe bringing someone like him back into the game day squad to really rally this group might be what they need, especially with their senior players like RUFA like Tim Payne out and unavailable at the moment.
Speaker 2: Well, it's funny you bring David Ball up because just dropping into my own box right now is a release about David Ball.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: We're recording this late on Monday morning, early this afternoon. This announcement is going to be made that David Ball's contract has been mutually terminated. Yep, So the remaining six months of David Ball's playing contract has basically being mutually agreed between David Ball and the club to be terminated. So that is it for David Ball at Wellington Phoenix Football Club. This has been in the wind, I think for a bit. We haven't seen David Ball on the field since Round one. He's been outside the match day squad let alone anywhere near the playing eleven. And this has been whispered about and talked loudly about so by the sounds of it. In fact, confirmation today that David Ball will be leaving Wellington Phoenix Football Club, bringing to an end a five year stay during which he's become extremely popular. Was very very effective in many different ways. Played through injury, made personal sacrifices to go and live in Australia when his family were back here. You know, I think there's a probably another day that we can really pay tribute to David Ball. But I guess what it does on the positive side for Wellington as opens up an import spot and you'd have to think they'll have an idea of how they want to use that import spot for the second half of the season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's really sad to hear that. And he's about David Ball. He has been such a key part to this this squad on and off the field, and I know he's given a lot of advice personally to the to the women's team who have you know, they're quite new to it and the players there. So yeah, big loss David Ball. But yeah, I think an opportunity here. He obviously wasn't playing, so I'm sure Chief he has something in mind. And I as I mentioned before, I hope he's looking at the defensive end for a replacement.
Speaker 2: Well we asked in that after the game the other day and he said yes, but also looking at at at another attacking player, somebody to help take the press off. Cost of barbarusis up top. I mean Marco Rojas hasn't played for a while, so hopefully he'll come back because he did look good for the little glimpses that we saw of Marco Rojas, including you know, setting up goals for cost of Barbarusis and looking really good. So yeah, we wait to see what happens. The transfer window opens this week, so I'm almost certain that Wellington will bring at least one and maybe two players, and Oscar van HadAM meantime, has also departed. He's gone to Sligo Rovers. That was the club that Nando Pinneka and Max Marta were playing at together for a while, both now of course at Auckland FC. So Oscar van HadAM another guy who last year you know, was used so regularly in that impact role. He came off the bench, he set up goals, he scored his first A League goal. He looked like a really integral part of the squad. This season, he's hardly had any opportunities at all. I'm just looking at the stats. He's only played four times a start and then three matches off the bench. So I think for oscarvan had him probably quite a good move for him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, really good for him, and I see him as someone that could grow what he'd still be under twenty three, he'd probably be on track for the next Olympic Games. And yeah, he's someone who could grow and get experience overseas.
Speaker 4: But it is odd.
Speaker 3: It is odd that and back to Piney just to go back on potentially them signing a forward. My kind of thought is though, why, you know, I feel like Costa Barbarusis and Marco Rojas when he's back and the Japanese imports, they're great, but there's no point getting more, signing more forwards, you know, if the ball can't get to them. And that's why I feel like it's got to be someone either in a defensive midfield position or a center back so the ball can get up to them. There's no point signing all these really good forwards if they can't get the ball to them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or keep the ball out of the back of the net is the other one. And early goals too. I mean they've conceded inside the first seven minute in four of their last five games, which always puts you on the back foot, you know again, and they don't want to keep harping back to next year, but the comparison is there. They conceded so few goals last season, particularly early. I remember, you know, for a while they hadn't considered a first half goal for seven or eight games. You know, going one kneel down early, it kind of almost throws your plans out the window, doesn't it. You know, you come out to say, right, let's keep it tight for you know, for the first half hour and then go from there. Well, when you one kneel down after seven minutes, as they have been four times in the last five games, then you you kind of have to, you.
Speaker 1: Know, to change things around.
Speaker 2: So the Phoenix are tenth, there're seven points off the top six and they've got a quick turnaround. This coming Wednesday night they welcome Sydney FC to Sky Stadium. They're on a five match unbeaten run, so the games don't get any easier for Wellington first time book Talay has come back to Wellington since he left after the twenty twenty two to twenty three season. Had four years at the helm of Wellington Phoenix of course, and guided them to the playoffs and three of those four seasons. Always been very popular guy who took tala, so'll be good to see him back in Wellington. But yeah, it's it just looks like a really tough road to hope for Wellington. Beyond this game, they've got to travel to MacArthur. Then they welcome the Mariners, although that game is in christ Church and Brisbane after that, So maybe back in a January, in too February, when they're playing the likes of the Mariners and Brisbane both on New Zealand soil, they might look at stringing a couple of results together and getting things back on track.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: What I'd like to see from the Phoenix, you know, going forward seeing out the rest of this A league season, is tidy up on those unforced eras or maybe fourced eras. You know that the own goals I've conceded, what that's two own goals they've also competed, considered a sloppy penalty eras goalkeeping eras. That's where they've got a tidy up. And once they do that, it's going to help build their confidence and hopefully gain a bit more momentum.
Speaker 2: Yep, let's hope for better things head for Wellington Phoenix. As I say, the next game is this coming Wednesday night, seven o'clock kickoff against Sydney FC at Sky Stadium.
Speaker 1: The FFV with Piny and Bonny, so we finished watching The Phoenix.
Speaker 2: Then there were a couple more games and then eleven forty five on Saturday nights, which very late to be watching a game of football the new distance derby Auckland FC over in Western Australia to take on a struggling Perth Glory who had lost their last seven home matches, not just not won them, lost them seven straight home losses in a row. But that came to an end at the expense of Auckland FC. Perth Glory one Auckland f C. Neil did you see this coming?
Speaker 3: I don't know what it says about me, Piney as you know a key we living in Auckland. But I kind of felt really happy for Perth. I think they played a really good game in terms of getting in the heads of the Black Knights and yeah, coming out with that result for Olie Sale and between the poet for Perth. They has had a rough couple of years since leaving the Phoenix, and yeah, I kind of felt stoked for them, and it was, yeah, bloody disappointing for Auckland.
Speaker 2: I thought Oli Sat had a really good game, you know, he and you know he looks down the other end and sees Alex Paulson there and thinks to himself, you know, there's a guy who has overtaken me in the pecking order for the All Whites, even at Perth. As you say, it's been difficult for him. He's been in and out of the team. He was really good on he sale. I think he played a massive part in this win. Made a couple of really crucial saves. Perth had a goal ruled out early. Jared Caluccio put it on the net but he was offside. But then he set up the goal for Jalen Perman who's smashed it in the top corner on the half hour marks. Only eighteen years old. This kid, Hiroki Saki off at halftime. He was in the penalty area and the ball came fizzing in and smacked him in the side of their head. He looked really groggy getting up. May have to go through concussion protocols Auckland had the chances sixteen shots, no goals, sixty five per possession. I'm still really really interested to see how they improve their cutting edge Auckland FC.
Speaker 3: Oh, I think you're exactly right, Piney and they need to shake up up top. They've proven they can, you know, they're they're very tight defensively. Even losing Dan Hall, They've still been really solid defensively. But something needs to change up top, and I'm not sure whether that's personnel or structurally. They've obviously got this new signing Marley francois coming in, but I don't know, maybe it's it's changing it up. Liam Gillian's great at creating opportunities. He hasn't He hasn't scored yet though Gmomi. He also takes some incredible shots and takes some players like no one else, but again hasn't scored in a while. So I'm just just wondering what. You know, something's got to give up there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I noticed, you know, the angels that Steve Coriker made were quite early in the piece, weren't they. He brought on Jesse Randall and Logan Rogerson at halftime for Nadal Modino and Felipe guy Goss. Then Max Mutter replaced Liam Gillion even before the hour mark. I just think he's mixing and matching up there alongside alongside Gizu MAMAI to try and find the formula you're right about Liam Gillian. I love the way he plays the game, but if I'm Liam Gillion, I'd want to score a goal at some stage.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and he said that recently.
Speaker 3: I can't quite remember if it was before or after Christmas, maybe beforehand, but he said he's feeling it. You know, as a Ford you want to be scoring and it's not great for your confidence if you're not.
Speaker 4: So I have a feeling for Liam.
Speaker 3: Once that first goal comes, it's just going to keep coming and and he can score.
Speaker 4: I've spoken about it on the podcast before that.
Speaker 3: You know, he had a great scoring record for Auckland City playing back in the Northern League, so there's no reason.
Speaker 4: Why it can't come.
Speaker 3: It's just it's just finding what's what's going to work for this side. And yeah, right now it's it's not really showing. But also again hats off to Olie Sail who who's stopped those those sixteen shots. You know, Auckland Auckland f C were definitely the better team on the night, but he kept deciding it.
Speaker 2: I thought Max Martter should have scored. That was a really really good chance over the bar from seven yards. Max Martter is another one, you know, he just looks like a guy to me who's just a little bit short on confidence, you know, is wondering where his next goal is going to come from. You know, he's a center forward. He should be pushing Gazumo may for a starting spot up top. But you know he had the had the best chance of the evening. He couldn't bury it from a fairly handy position. Gazuma my himself, had a couple of good chances, and then late in the piece, Adama Kulabali, who'd come on as with about I think eleven or twelve minutes to go for his Auckland FC debut, was sent off. I wonder why he did this. I know that Joel and Nasmo, the Perth Glory player is on goal.
Speaker 1: I mean he.
Speaker 2: Basically picked up the ball on the edge of his own penalty area, sprinted all the way downfield with a Dahmaicula Bally stride for stride with him. It's right at the end of the game, you're one kneil down anyway, I don't know why a Damaicula Bali did that.
Speaker 3: I mean I kind of feel it, I kind of you know, don't mind what he did. When the Perth forward goes one on one with Alex Paulson. You know, he was getting away on a dama, so I'm not I'm pretty sure Perth would have scored there, and you know, I'd like to back Alex Paulson to save it, but I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: Doesn't matter though. I mean, you're one neel down, it wouldn't be two nil. You're still going to lose a game.
Speaker 4: But it's not like he's a player.
Speaker 3: It's not like it's Hiroki Saka that you're going to need next week type thing.
Speaker 4: He's like taking one for the team. One noil looks better than two.
Speaker 2: Now I suppose, yeah, I suppose. I just thought it was an interesting decision, heat of the moment stuff. You know, it's a red. He was already on a yellow. So even if you know, even if he'd done even if he had done that sort of further back, he might not have got a red, but he would have got a second yellow. So anyway, the upshotters that Auckland f C drop out of top spot, down to third place actually, but only one point behind Melbourne City and Adelaide. And they host Melbourne City on Saturday, and they've got a game in hand over them, so they could just as easily jump back up to the top.
Speaker 1: I have seen it suggested. You know, there was all this.
Speaker 2: Talk and and Chiefy's comments around how Auckland f C have been lucky was sort of magnified in and around the second derby. But since that second derby, Auckland f C have gone draw loss, win, draw loss five points from fifteen games. They've had to travel away obviously, They've been to Perth, they've been to the Mariners, they've been to Melbourne City. So I don't know, maybe they were lucky early on Bonnie.
Speaker 4: I don't know they were lucky.
Speaker 3: And yeah, wise old chief he knew he was right. He knew it would come back to bite them, and it definitely has. And you know, I think Auckland FC obviously the travels played a factor, but I think they got too comfortable with the home crowd. I think that's played played so much into their early success and not having that overseas as obviously hurt them. So yeah, they're going to need to adjust their mindset and adjust the way they play overseas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and look they came back home as a say for Melbourne City on Saturday. Then they're away again to Adelaide and to Western Sydney Wanderers. So January is tough for them. Look, they're still a good side. There's still the best defensive team in the camp. Only nine goals can set at all seas and that's fewer than anybody else. It's the other end though, and at the risk of laboring the point, only sixteen goals. Everybody else in the top eight has scored more goals than Auckland have. Marley Francois, I think we'll probably be given a crack, you know, as Steve Coriker searches for the right recipe up top. Joey Champness we know has left. He's turned up and I did you see that he signed for Havida in Iran.
Speaker 4: Ah, well, good on it. Hopefully he gets some minutes.
Speaker 3: It was still not really sure why he left or why he wasn't really given an opportunity at Auckland. But yeah, hopefully he gets a shot there.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: So Auckland f C against Melbourne City this coming Saturday at go Media Stadium. Look, it's one v three and Auckland FC fans have turned out in big numbers so far. Nothing to suggest they won't again. I think we're heading heading north of fifteen sixteen thousand again. Should be a great occasion when Auckland FC host Melbourne City at go Media Stadium on Saturday Football.
Speaker 1: Fever with Jason Faine and Bonnie Jensen.
Speaker 2: So two up, two down, we were looking for a bright spot from the Wellington Phoenix Women who came to Adelaide yesterday in really good nick. They had a terrific win over the Western Sydney Wanderers on Thursday away from home three nil, completely dominant and up into the top four. But in the heat of Adelaide reportably thirty three degrees there yesterday when the game kicked off, they were unable to continue that run, going down two to one. In general terms, do you think they deserved a point out of the game or do you think this result was fair?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean maybe with the heat and the conditions there, potentially could have got a little bit more out the game. Out of the game. I think I wouldn't be too gutted by the result. Obviously, playing in Adelaide, it's an away game. They came close and you know, speaking of their game midweek, I had all these notes Pioneer about how good I think that the Phoenix are playing at the moment. So yeah, I wouldn't feel hard done by, and hopefully it's just an opportunity, you know, to move on and learn from that match.
Speaker 2: I think those notes are still relevant. I made some as well, and during the Western Sydney game of the team's playing really well for the first time this season, really against Western Sydney on Thursday, and I know their goalkeeper was sent off and they were playing against ten. They looked like a top six Wellington, didn't they They looked like a top sixteen, you know, dominant in all the stats. Alyssa Winnham's goal was a worldy you know, Olivia Kelly getting a goal, Emma Maine coming off the bench and getting a goal. They were well worth the win and probably could have won by more. And look, you know, losing last night in Adelaide doesn't you know, doesn't scup at their chances. They are still in and around the top six. In fact, they're fifth, but it was around about this time last season that they went on a run of not picking up enough points, particularly away from home. If they are to be a top six side, they need to pick up points more regularly away, I think because they are playing well at home.
Speaker 4: Don't jinxit piney, don't jinx it.
Speaker 3: But no, I completely agree. I really like the way they're playing, and they're playing with confidence. You know, Paul Temple keeps changing this starting lineup. It's very unknown. I mean, Alyssa Winnheim after she scores that Worldy doesn't start then again yesterday, which was kind of confusing in another topic in itself, but I mean, you know, they're playing with this kind of flaring confidence that we haven't seen before, and I hope, hope they can go all the way. And it's kind of you know, they're not as high up the ladder is what the men's team were last season, but it's kind of like they're in this mindset and playing the style of football making a statement for the Auckland FC women's team that are joining next season. So it's yeah, it's good, kind of marking their territory.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I like it. I'm just looking back comparing it to last year. So after eleven games last season, the Phoenix had sixteen points. That's exactly the same number that they have after eleven games this season. So they're on target, but like I say, they went through a spout at around about this time from memory where they just couldn't pick.
Speaker 1: Up points regularly enough.
Speaker 2: They're back at home on Sunday against Newcastle, got to really be targeting all three points in that one. And as I say, they've got form on their side because they were very good away at Western Sydney on Thursday. Adelaide scored their goals pretty quickly at the back end of the first half. Aliza Winnham came on and created the chants which saw Adelaide score an own goal brought it back to two to one, but when able to find a winner, it just looked so hot. Eh, I was watching the game. The pitch looked really harsh. It just looked so hot. They were stopping for water breaks every fifteen minutes and draping wet towels over their heads. It looked very uncomfortable over there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I feel like those kind of I mean, obviously you can't control the weather, but the pitch itself looked very hard and hard to run on. The players looked quite you know, holdue respect like heavy, like they couldn't run on this type of pitch. And I do wonder if that pitch would be allowed to be played on over on the men's side. You know, got to put it out there. But yeah, not ideal conditions whatsoever. That's why I feel like it's okay to go down to one away.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you are going to lose games.
Speaker 2: You are And even though they would have sensed the chance to take something from this game, given the fact they beat Adelaide in your night round earlier in the season, wasn't to beat. It's not terminal. Still plenty of time for Paul Temple and his team to find their way. Well, they're in the top six now. To stay in the top six, that is absolutely what they need to do from here on and there is plenty of opportunity for them to do that over the next two.
Speaker 1: Or three months.
Speaker 2: Football Fever, let's finish with kiwis overseas. An elite has left aston Villa by mutual consent. She joined in twenty twenty two, made twenty two appearances and all competitions. A statement noted she wants to be closer to her family. You mentioned Auckland f C's women's side, are an elite's family anywhere close to Auckland f C. Does you want to be closer to family and maybe might pop up at Auckland f C.
Speaker 3: I think an elite from memory down south in the South Island. I want to say, maybe around Nelson or maybe christ Church. Don't quote me on that, but I do remember she moved to Auckland when she was quite young and and played up here and for high school. Just being up in Auckland around the national camps. Again, don't quote me on that. I could be wrong, but an elite I feel like could be coming back to play for Auckland f C.
Speaker 1: That'd be a good move, wouldn't What'd be great for Auckland f C.
Speaker 2: Would it be a backward step for her from from you know, from from the heights of England the Super League over there to to a brand new club in the A League.
Speaker 3: It's tough because we've spoken about this on the men's side, where maybe coming back to the A League or maybe Alex Paulson, you know, playing another season and in the A League and getting consistent minutes wouldn't be a bad thing, particularly in the football firm set up. None of our goalkeepers are starting goalkeepers at their clubs over I think Vicky sin might be getting more minutes now, but they haven't really been in the past, so yes, it would be a step back in terms of club level for an elite you know, playing in the Woman's Super League. You know, it doesn't get much better than that. But yeah, getting consistent minutes wouldn't be a bad thing. And what a statement for Auckland f C to have two of New Zealand's you know, on the men's side and the women's side, to have two of the best goalkeepers.
Speaker 2: I just think she probably needs minutes, right because she hasn't really been getting minutes at aston Villa and they've probably her and her agent or whoever looks after her have probably looked around and thought to themselves, OK, where could she go. The problem with goalkeeper is if there's an established goalkeeper at a club, you've got to earn your place, right. If you're a defender or a midfielder, you can kind of work your way and there might be two or three opportunities for you to, you know, to find a place in the side. Goalkeeper is very different if there's an established number one in front of you, very very hard to break into the team. An Analyte, from from a football ferns point of view, needs to be playing because she has established herself now as the number one. She played all three games at the Olympics, didn't she in goal? So she needs to keep playing. Vick Essen's playing for Rangers, so Analyte needs to be playing. Won't She won't have any football presumably between now and the Alex season. Although could she pop up in at an Auckland club somewhere she could play in the winter, couldn't she?
Speaker 4: I mean, yeah, she definitely could.
Speaker 3: We have seen it before from these A league players getting minutes, you know. Obviously a league woman's is only a part time gigs, so yeah, it would probably make sense. I understand that some of the potential women's players for AFC trials may have started and they might be kind of kicking a footy around together. So hopefully she's starting to get back into fitness because the Women's Super League have been on off on their summer break.
Speaker 4: But yeah, she could pop up at a club all right.
Speaker 2: We'll look forward to seeing how that plays out. I had Terry mcflynn, the director of football for Roukland de FC, on the radio last couple of weeks and he said, yeah, a lot of his focus now is on pulling together the women's program, which I mean they'll it's January now, that season will start in October November. It seems like a long way away, but it'll rush up, just like with the men. They've got to pull together a playing squad and a coach. Getting any oil on who the front runner for coach might be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've done a story in The Herald, if anyone's anyone listening has read it. But there's a couple of people put forward or on a short list, the likes of Katie Duncan Alana Gunn, who are domestic coaches here in New Zealand. And there's also a couple of a couple of more experienced coaches currently the four I forget his name, but the form the current Melbourne Victory.
Speaker 1: Head coach Jeff Hopkins.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, Jeff Hopkins. So I think he potentially could be a front runner. I'm hoping to hear more this week, so stay tuned for four and next week on who that might be. But I just hope you know Auckland f C, which no doubt they will give the same amount of attention and focus and investment to the women's side as they have done the men's because it'd be great to see them just as you know, kick off just as successfully.
Speaker 2: I'd like to also see them do the same sorts of things that they've done with the men's team in terms of recruitment. You know, go and get some football ferns and bring them home, you know, like they did with Nando Pineke, you know, bring him home, Max Marter, bring him home. And then give guys who have been playing domestically and doing it well, Francis Devrez, Cam Howison and others Leam Gillian give them opportunities and then flesh out your team with young Kiwis. Yes, gets some importance. But if they follow the same model as they have with the men's team, it's worked. I think they'll also really endear themselves to the fan base. I think that's what people like about Auckland f C. I like a lot of things about them, but the fact that there are a lot of keywis in that in that squad, yeah exactly.
Speaker 3: And I've connected so well with the fans, and you know, I think of players like Charlotte rope shoe Is, you know, playing so well for Auckland United and the domestic league here and there's so many other players I've misseduff but you know, just there's there's so many, so many good players that haven't been able to move to Wellington or haven't you know, had opportunities abroad that could could make big waves for Auckland f C. I guess the other thing as well as where will they play? Will they play at go Medium, Ount Smart or somewhere else, It's all all up in the air.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's another good point. Initially we know the Wellington Phoenix women played at Sky but Sky's Daddium but yeah, the prottydoor parks the home and it's a much better place for them, a nice intimate ground, you know, where we can hear the fans and that sort of thing. You know, I'm sure that's another decision to be made for Auckland f C. I didn't mean to spit ball this today, but I'm just looking at a list of overseas football ferns and you know what I said before is who could you bring home? And look, maybe we won't go into it today. Maybe that's a discussion for another day, but there are a lot of a lot of good players who are at clubs overseas who aren't necessarily getting the opportunities that they might hope. So you know, nothing wrong with coming home for a bit. It doesn't mean you have to stay come home and play here for a bit and then go again.
Speaker 4: Exactly.
Speaker 3: It's a kind of part time league. Why not come and have a summer in New Zealand and yeah, see what happens. But it will be interesting whether any Wellington Phoenix players are poached and move, Yeah, move up to and the ft see that that whole dynamic like we saw with Alex Paulson and a bit of a touchy subject, but yeah, it will be interesting to see the whole dynamics.
Speaker 2: The difference as well is that most of the players at Wellington are the women's players are on one year deals, so you know they're off contract at the end of the season. That's just the nature of the A League women's competition at the moment. So all of those players are available to be talked to.
Speaker 1: And if I'm Terry mcflynn, I'm just talking.
Speaker 2: To all of them, you know, even even if you think there's no chance they'll come that just just open a conversation with any of those players in Wellington. You know some of them are from Auckland, aren't they or have have ties with Auckland or the Upper North Island. I'd be talking to them and I'm sure they are. I'm sure they are. Anyway, that's a that's a very long discussion about analyte. That's look. I'm so looking forward to Auckland FC joining the women's competition. I love watching the Wellington Phoenix women play. Can't wait for a women's derby.
Speaker 3: I'm so excited and hopefully they you know, I'm sure that the marketing team is smart, but they are doing double headers for the derby's as well. Maybe get it at Eden Park, like a massive festival of football in New Zealand. I'm already picturing it now. Party.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be great, a double headed derby. I'm here. I'm here for it.
Speaker 2: I am absolutely here for it. I'll just ripped through some other key he's playing overseas. We've been away for a while on the podcast, so there's plenty to cover, but just some of the highlights. Chris Wood keeps scoring for Nottingham Forest incredible the latest and the three nil winover Wolves twelve Premier League goals now for Chris Wood eighty one all time. It's rarefied here a forest, speaking of rare fight here third in the Premier League, incredible. Leby Cacaci got a goal the other day for EMPELI. He's playing slightly more advanced for them now, more of a wingers role. So whether that might be something that Darren Basely looks at too, I guess remains to be seen. Sarpretzen got a couple of goals for his Portuguese club, Nico Kerwin, Andre Diyong also scoring goals for per Doova and Stllenbosch respectively early in twenty twenty five. And I see Kate Taylor got a goal this morning for Dijon in a big six nil win in the French Cup. So Kate Taylor on the score sheet, enjoying life in France as well.
Speaker 1: All right, Bonnie, and we'll we're back for twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: Let's hope that when we chat again next Monday that the results are slightly better.
Speaker 1: Are all three teams have got have got games?
Speaker 2: Wellington Phoenix's men Wednesday night, Auckland FC's men Saturday night, Wellington Phoenix's women Sunday afternoon.
Speaker 1: So let's hope by this time next week we've.
Speaker 2: Got some more more positive results to talk about For the New Zealand sites.
Speaker 4: He is hoping nine points.
Speaker 1: Bring it on, Bring it on. This is football team.