Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talk sad B. Follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: You want to take another pair?
Speaker 3: Now get in.
Speaker 2: It's entering, it is out, the test is over. Smokes a beaut It is out and here he goes. This delivery has a union.
Speaker 4: Music Devolved.
Speaker 1: On the Front Foot with Brian Ronnell and Jeremy Cody, powered by News Talks dead B at iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: This week the legacy of Ravi Ashwin attributed to the Indian spinning as does he retire as one of the games great as we wait for the champions Trophy and other test matches played on a pitch used previously, we don't know how many times, but it does little to promote the emains of the test game at a time when some of the administrators are planning alterations. Like the taylor who's dealing with my new trousers. I almost got the impression that he was thinking of adjusting me rather than the pants. That's no open season for you, can't you either?
Speaker 4: No, you're looking good ones your socks.
Speaker 5: The socks are a bit short, but never mind, pets, you're still growing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very hard to wear them. And John Bracewall has joined us, one of our greatest spin bowlers, and he's going to give us reflection on Ravi Ashvin Brace's Happy new Year to you. I haven't seen you for about four years.
Speaker 6: No, but remarkably what you look him down so weller than I do.
Speaker 2: Oh, I can change that pretty rapidly, I can assure you. On the front foot. Talking about Ravi Ashton, an Indian writer called him the man who redefined the Indian game and in the end he read the lines after being overlooked and jumping before he was pushed. Perhaps there's one commentator put it he was probably frustrated with the lack of pictures offering spinner's assistance. We don't really know, but one hundred and six Test matches, eighth highest wicket taker in the game, fifth in the all time list of spinners, five hundred and thirty seven wickets at twenty three graces, does he end the game as one of the greats.
Speaker 6: Without doubt? I mean, I think he changed the game. I think he took out a lot of the woke talk out of the game. I think his IQ was second to none in terms of understanding what he had to do when bowling.
Speaker 7: On certain services.
Speaker 6: The only thing that surprised me is that he always got a shock when he was sitting on the bench and wasn't playing and the Indians preferred somebody else on the as they were playing on And I could kind of understand his frustration to a certain extent because he set out a number of Tests and yet he's still got five hundred Test wickets. I was thinking about, you know where this discussion would go, and when I say, iq, I can never remember ravish Ashwyn beating the bat by yards by massive spin. He spun the ball enough to beat the bat or enough to catch the edge. And what that indicates to me was he had the intellect to understand the pace that needed to be bold. So rather than trying to celebrate this is me to big spinner, he actually said, well, what if this is going to turn three feet, how do I get it to turn four and a half inches or two and a half inches to catch the edge? Which means that I either find the right pace for the surface or I take pace off in the air in order to be able to do that as well. So he could work off the air and he could work off the surface and to me that sets him apart from so many other bowlers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jerry, he was an innovator too, wasn't he. I mean that's what braceis is alluding to to some extent, isn't he.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he is, get a brace. Great, great day for lawns down here and picked and I can tell you now looks it seemed. It seemed to me the interesting part of Ashwin to me, he saw spin bowling kind of as a laboratory. You know. He kind of tried to discover sorts and then put them into action.
Speaker 4: It wasn't so much as a spinner.
Speaker 5: Particularly, You've spoken about that already, but it was the approach that he took to pushing the boundary of what was possible to do with the ball, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: It was angles and lengths, It was using the crease.
Speaker 5: It was different types of flights and where the ball and then the risk position and where it left, where the ball came under the fingers, over the fingers, front of the fingers, all that kind of stuff. Can you just tell us anything about that? As a person, did you do those sorts of things? Are always experimenting? Because I can remember in a test at Eden Park, you developed a different kind of gather and you were jumping more than you had before.
Speaker 4: I mean, just a general.
Speaker 5: Comment about that as a laboratory and working things out for yourself.
Speaker 7: You're right about him, not necessarily about me.
Speaker 6: I mean, I mean we were. We played in a mirror was reasonably risk averse, mainly because our game was so much based around our medium pace game and the sort of the wicket.
Speaker 7: So we played on.
Speaker 6: But I do remember thinking that in order to.
Speaker 7: Survive better, I need to bowl better to left handers.
Speaker 6: And because I had quite an orthodox action and a reasonably long delivery stride, I used to get too far out on the crease coming around the wicket to left handers, which meant that I was negating a lot of the spin that I that I could get, and also I was exaggerating the angle. So what I did was I spent probably six months bowling at John Reid in the nets, learning to bowl and getting feedback from him, who was a good player of spin bowling, both from bowling over the wicket and what that felt like, and if I bowled wider of the crease over the wicket, what did that? What did What was the results of that and also coming around and I kind of discovered that if I can get in closer to the stunts, he found it more difficult to play. So I had to develop that jump in order to bring my back my front foot back to mid crease, which negated the angle to a certain extent, got me closer to the stunts, and that worked for some for some time. But the thing about Ashvind is that he did it. He developed all these different deliveries with a straight arm. Now, not the Dora, but what I'm saying about the you know, the woke mentality that we tended to have during the nineties and through probably too through to twenty ten, as we allowed a lot of guys to get away with doucers and things like that because the world of cricket would too afraid to suggest that it may have actually come illegally. He developed a technique which was slightly more front on than traditional off spinners, which allowed them to be able to bowl those deliveries with a straight arm and without question. His action was never called into question. And that's kind of the thing I like about Rabi Ashram over everybody else. There was never any question about how he delivered those balls. There's always the mystery of how did you have the courage to be able to do that? And I suppose twenty twenty Cricket helped that. I mean, I remember one of his great quotes was twenty twenty cricket is about six well constructed bad bulls. Nutshell.
Speaker 2: The fact you talk about how he developed those skills and you just instanced your bowling to John Reid, how much of what you did as a bowler and what he would have done as a bowler is about your own endeavors rather than help from other people. Did you get the encouragement and help and skills of a lot of other people or did you have to experiment yourself?
Speaker 6: Well, we were kind of owner train of drivers in those days, weren't we. You know, if you had a playmate, then it could help, especially if you had somebody who was equally there for you as you were for them. And so you're getting that mutual feedback almost that query theory, but in a more natural way. And John Reid, you know, was naturally a coach, and he was very much a mentor to me as a coach, So we used to spend a lot of time thinking about these sorts of things and then going in and going, well, let's try it. And I became quite a good bowler at left tenders later in my career because of that. But it had the rest of the time, you just got along the practice and you bowlt at somebody for ten minutes, then somebody said, you know, last round, and everybody tried to hit you for six to finish the net, and that was kind of your learning experience. And you know so, but nowadays you know you have as a professional, you've got basically eight hours a day every day. So therefore you are you can't just go and bowl for two hours without thinking about it, thinking about the game and how it breaks down, and you get so much more information that surely it's creating an environment where people do grow a lot faster than perhaps we did, and I think that is the case.
Speaker 5: Race. It's interesting you talk about the nets and bowling and the nets as a spinner. Most of our first class sides have a batting and a bowling coach. But my impression is the bowling coach tend to be either. They're former seamers mainly that maybe right, I don't know, but they're not former spin bowlers like yourself, And I just wonder. I know both seamers and spinners project the ball to the batsman, but I sense there are quite essential differences, you know, in the gather, in the release, in the angle perhaps of the run up slightly.
Speaker 4: We know the length of the run up is usually different.
Speaker 5: What are the differences about a spin coach if we talk about that. I mean, I don't think we have a spin coach for the New Zealand side unless we go overseas. Ozzie do in Vittori, England do in Patel. We use rung and a Harath and Mushtarak when we're overseas, But that's generally where we see spin playing a bigger role in the tour, and I just wonder why not in New Zealand. Maybe we could investigate if it's not turning and being sympathetic half the surface, maybe we could investigate flight more. I don't know what are your thoughts around that. Should we have a bowling coach who's a spinner?
Speaker 7: Yeah, well, I think we have Paul Wiseman, I think is the national spin bowling coach.
Speaker 4: Yeah he is.
Speaker 6: So his job is to communicate with the national coaches and the national bowling coaches. And I assume, and I don't know this, but I assume that a big part of that is having one national program for spin So how are we developing spin across the board from the young person who walks in and says, I want to be like to a first class bowling program for spinners, you know, so professional bowling program for spin bowlers as well. So that's that's men's and boys and women and men. So I assume that he runs that program. I'm not one hundredbstent sure if he does, but I assume he runs that program. One of the things that kind of concerned me when I returned back to New Zealand after a long time away was that the number of our spin bowlers were actually reluctant to bowl in the nets. They preferred to go out and bowler to cone and feel comfortable bowling at a cone. Well, a cone's never going to hit you for six cone's never going to sweep a ball that you want to actually test out with it. It is difficult to actually sleep if I bolted at this pace. You know, It's almost an avoidance thing. And I think that's come about from the fact that as soon as the spinner comes on in the nets. When with a lot of our nets and a lot of our cricketers been pace based, is that they basically just go and try and whack the spinners. So what are you looking for when you're actually looking for talent in spin bowlers in a net session? And I look for guys who get hit in the air at a round about stomach height all the time into the nets as opposed to hit out of the nets. And that indicates to me that that person is beating the guy between before it pitches and also after it pitches, So he's beaten them in that sort of like two meter space away from the bat.
Speaker 7: So he's either beating them with flight or he's beating them off the surface because he's.
Speaker 6: Mishitting the ball. No one deliberately kind of hits the ball at stomach height, you know, waist height under the covers.
Speaker 2: Is that what a spin bowler has to do nowadays, which is probably a little bit different when you were preparing for first class cricket and for Test match cricket.
Speaker 6: The odd.
Speaker 2: Now he has to be adept at either all three versions of the game. Now, Test od I T twenty or specialist, or he's going to have a bag full of variations that he can carry and drop his hand into it and pull out one for the next game. And that to me seems to be the preparation plans for many of our spinners. Is that going to be an encouraging thing for spinners?
Speaker 6: Well, most guys who end up getting through to the national national national program the men's or women's international side basically have had a feeling good grounding at domestic level in all three forms. Would you agree? No, one sort of comes through doesn't play in all three forms. Yep. So they generally play in those or have had a good experience in all three forms at formats of the game to get to that to get to that point where they get selected. The difficulty is is having the backing enough cricket and also enough consistent success to feel confident and wanted in your unit as well?
Speaker 7: You know, So are all our spinners wanted or are they just sometimes needed?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 4: I think I think we know the answer to that.
Speaker 5: We've got people like Patel, for example, who has he played a Test match in New Zealand. He's only really needed in Asia to be really honest, and we don't see many of them.
Speaker 6: Really.
Speaker 5: We play four seamers and we've always been a seam based attack, perhaps because of our climate and our history, and you know, we grow grass pretty well and it also provides us with a point of difference from other countries to a here and so you know, but we obviously also play you know, many tests away, almost as many as home. I would have thought most times, you know, I've been thinking for years, Brace, we maybe we should have a little plan if there was one to prepare one or two venues around New Zealand where there is decent sunshine ours and we set about preparing a pitch or two perhaps in the block and for Brian, get it as near to the middle as you can. So the boundary sizes are similar both sides. And you know, we could not what not bunts and burners. I'm not suggesting that, but I'm suggesting ones that will assist spin because it's not only for the bowlers, Brace, it's for the keepers, it's for the it's for the men fielding and close, you know, the slips, the batpad, the pad bat, it's the men and the you know, catching a short cover.
Speaker 4: Those kinds of things.
Speaker 5: You know, there's quite a lot you can learn as a captain, for example, practicing captaining spin.
Speaker 4: I think we would get great benefits if we could do that.
Speaker 6: It's it's as important to the batter as well, Jeremy. Yeah, a number of times we actually send our batters away to go to sweep school in India because they don't get enough decent spin bowling or we can't find spin bowling. Weik gets to New Zealand. How ridiculous is that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so they go India to learn how.
Speaker 6: To bat and face spin twenty four hours of the day. It just it kind of doesn't make sense that we've got these beautiful indoor grass centers now around the country that we're not developing these these programs that says, this is just as much for batters as it is for bowlers, because the art of weighing spin is it's actually and it's probably the greatest feedback that we used to get when we went to the subcontinent, and the subcontinent batters would just say, well, you actually just don't watch the ball well enough, you know, kind of because we didn't really have to, so you know, whereas they actually learn to watch the ball.
Speaker 7: And I remember when Bert Suttlet said to me that he could see the seam on the ball and he was about he was Floods's age at that stage.
Speaker 4: God still seeing it, still see it, and he.
Speaker 6: Could see the seam on the ball. Now, that is one of the arts of batting, is one that learns skill of watching closely and the laziness of not watching, you know, vaguely watching a round thing coming at you. And that's the difference between good batters and and and poor batteries and great batters and and potentially great betters. Is that ability to be able to pick the ball up and understand what it's going to do off the surface, and then study it and get better at it. So it's not just the bowling thing. It's a batting thing as well.
Speaker 5: You give yourself time brace you've earned some time as a batsman, and that's the difference between defending or attacking. Yeah, and if you can see it in the air rotating coming down to you. I didn't learn that skill until Turner spoke to me when we went to Pakistan in eighty four. My head normally just start to split immediately, you know, just watching the ball that hard.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And I think somebody like Glenn, who found a lot of things quite natural, found it quite difficult to deal with people who didn't find those things quite natural. And it was quite interesting when he did become a coach and he kind of understands stood that started to get to understand the mortality of different people and the reason why they weren't as good as him. Caine's another one who's you know, his ability. Everyone says he judges links so much better than everybody else. He bes link up quicker than anybody else. But when you watch Cain practice, here's an extraordinarily good ball watcher. And you can see guys who do that, and then you can see guys who stop watching the ball and then they estimate where it's going to pitch. The are the guys I love bowling.
Speaker 2: To coming out all of that of what you and Jeremy have just been talking about, race that the wanted and needed scenario you're talking about. We've also got to have captains who've got the courage to bowl spin bowlers. I sense that Ben Stokes is happy to bowl spinners and give them opportunities early. We seem reluctant to give spin bowlers the opportunity to get the experience in greater success, and it might count against the confidence of those bowlers as well.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think you get that though. I mean, let's have a look at the last fifteen years or thirteen years. Let's say Tim Salvey's reign. What was that fifteen years. Yeah, we were pretty blessed with three guys that kind of didn't need to go past to a lot of extent, and he could rotate those and then you had somebody like de grand Holme or somebody like that who could actually fill that gap and stop the game for a period while they rested. You know. So they had a pretty good rotation system and they had some guys who were pretty skilled at what they did, and so it's fudged the numbers to a certain extent. Now, when we had Daniel Vittori prior to that, you know, he was Stephen Bleming's go to for a lot of a lot of the time I need a wicket, I'll go to Steep, I'll go to Daniel. So during that era, but he ended up, you know, Daniel just ended up bowling too many opens, so he was almost you know, he got fatigued. So he flattened out. He was always best to be bowled, and in spells of seven and eight he became quite predictable when those spells became half a session to a session. And so therefore your strike radism is great.
Speaker 2: If there's one thing you could do in terms of developing spinners, now, what would be the key point for you in terms of how we develop our spinners.
Speaker 6: I'd play them on bigger grounds at underage cricket. There are a lot of kids turn up at underage cricket and they want to bowl spin. They may not be made. One of the reasons maybe they're not strong enough the bulk. But they play on tea spoon grounds and they get bullied and they become disillusioned, and everybody goes with fostering spin look at us. But they play on something where you can miss out of six, play on grounds where you can't hit boundaries at ease, and then you will start to see batsmanship evolved, not bully ship, and you'll see spinners come into their own in terms of their learning because they're not getting just belted out of the attack.
Speaker 5: For those people who are listening who might have kids, which is what you're sort of talking a bit about there who wish to be a spinner. Let me ask you just a couple of questions about about a youngster learning to bowl spin. Would you go for the revs first or accuracy?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's a really interesting one because it's I remember as a kid watching a video and I think it was run by Martin Horton where he interviewed Into carleb into carb Allen, who's a leg spin violence, and he asked him that exact question, and into carb Alum said, I will go for accuracy because I'll stay on and I have control of the game. And then another time he was talking to and I can't remember who was, Oh, it may have been Ashley Mallett, and Ashley Mallett said to the same question, you know, the first thing I'd teach a kid to do is I'll teach him how to spin the ball and spin the ball hard, and then as he grows in confidence, he will learn to control that. But he won't get that spin back if he just concentrates on line and length and staying on. And so I went with that philosophy one because it was a finger spinner and it made sense to me, and it suited my mentality, and I kind ofunderstood that the leg spinner may be slightly different.
Speaker 7: So the difference between the wrist spinner, who has a stronger action and therefore can.
Speaker 6: Get that spin a little bit easier, and the finger spinner, who ends up just being a roller, and the accuracy between that. And I think left hand left armors and right arms are slightly different as well, just with the angles. But I'd certainly think with off spin in particular, you need to be able to give the ball a rip to make a difference.
Speaker 4: What about the length of run up?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think a run up. To me, a run up was just about rhythm. I mean, by the end of my career, I don't even think I measured out on runner. I mean I could just feel I was in the right place and it got my body into position for the pace that I wanted to bowl, uh and the balance I needed at the crease. If you look at somebody like Nathan Lyon, you know he walks for what probably near on seven or eight meters and then trots two yards and bolts and gets a lot of revs on the wall chained warm. You know, basically walked in but had a great turn of his shoulders and rotation, but was really big through the shoulders, so there's a bit of body shape involved in it, and understanding it's not a this is what I do to tell just wanders in, doesn't it, and just off a few paces, you know, I think that half of a satin has run up is observing the batsman, so he almost stalks him, as you would say, like Groucho Marx the waitress. He's almost got that sort of look about him. I'm watching this intently. It suits your body type and what rhythm that you need to get from it, and it's kind of all coaching is about understanding the individual's personality as well. It's not about imposing a technique. It's not about imposing a theory. It's about getting to know the person. So you're coaching the whole person, how he thinks, how he behaves, how he sees the game of cricket. Is he an optimist or a pessimist. You can't impose optimism on a pessimist, but there is a position for a pessimist in game of cricket. Generally it is called open the batting's interesting braces.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much for your time. We look forward to perhaps another call from you at some stage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks Bank, Thanks mate, Brian Waddell, Jeremy Coney on the front foot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, great to have Brace's along. We haven't had him on the program previously, Jerry, but he certainly adds an understanding of spin bowling, and spinner's probably something that you understand and us lesser cricketing brains don't really think about those things that often, So it was lovely to hear him just articulate that from a spin boler's point of view.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and he's got plenty more to tell us too, I think, and and our and our followers to Wadds, he's he's had to go through that sort of that whole process himself, really coaching himself to be really honest, and then as a coach later on coaching people.
Speaker 4: So he's got a lot. He's got a good story and it's and it's good to listen to it.
Speaker 5: I personally, I can't wait for spinners to start in the this match because I think the game really comes alive when you've got different fields and captaincy you see involved as well, and batsman attacking and all the whole range. Of things, I think, and then the overrate improves all those kinds of things. I think it's a very nice part of test cricket. So I think there are things we can still talk to him about actually, like the New Zealand Pathway.
Speaker 4: We should talk to him about that as well. So I hope to get him again on the front foot with Waddle and Cody.
Speaker 2: Another Spinboller and the aforementioned Paul Wiseman, who was spoken about by John Bracewell. He's the director of talent identification at the under nineteen level and he's been watching the under nineteenth recently. Auckland retained that title after a week of quality cricket at Lincoln for that development phase. Wellington led into the final round but lost narrowly to Canterbury, while Auckland, after a loss against Wellington in round one, mustered the consistency needed in tournament play to secure the title again over Northern Districts and Wellington. It's a non World Cup year but still an important stage of the careers of the young players, and Paul Wiseman joins us to just tell us about how successful the under nineteen tournament was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it was.
Speaker 7: I think.
Speaker 3: I don't think it was ever a non successful Under nineteen National tournament because you know, we produced some pretty amazing facilities for these guys down here. They get to play on first class, which is basically on love the outfields and untill laid on for them. So if they can't get something out of that, then there's something wrong, and I think there's a lot going right in that space. This year we changed it a little bit. Normally it's just white ball formats. This year we're introduced a three day game to the tournament, and we played that on a used wicket, So we played the first three one day games on one pitch and then we stayed on the same pitch and played a three day game, hoping to bring spin and keepers in closing fields and cataincy and batting against spin and all that sort of thing into play. So from that perspective, and they have two really good type finishes, that was a real success from our point of view.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, that's encouraging that that is being done too, because it then becomes not about the points and who wins the title, but then you see players in different situations which normally you might not see.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one hundred percent. Look, we've been looking over this for a while and there's been a slow and steady decline and the amount of Red Bull cricket played it at school level and I understand the reasons for that, but the skills and the tactical awareness of these players, whilst it's really good when you talk about the too short formats of the game, there's got the naive when it comes to Red Bull cricket. So we have two two day games in the under seventeens and we have one in one rep well, one three day game in under nineteens. We're hoping to have the nearest neighbor as well, but budget not in the way of that. So it would have been nice to have a home and away and then they would have had two three day games. And the way we've looked at it is that every second year in a World Cup year, it's going to be white ball only because that's what the World Cup's about. But it sort of means that our best seventeams tend to be in the under nineteens at under eighteen level, so they should get at least one set of two day games in seventeens or at least one sentence a three day game in the under nineteen. So just what it also means is the ems that we're bringing these players down don't just focus solely on white balls. They've actually got to train with these guys leading into it in the red ball and they tend to have, you know, in house games or nearest neighbor games and things like that. So just making sure that we're keeping the red ball alive because at the moment on the world scene it's I think it's flourishing looking at the crowds that are coming in. So we just want to make sure, you know, we keep that rolling on through our age group and prepared the better for when they start playing first class cricket.
Speaker 2: Yeah, is there a balance there that you want to or do you have an emphasis on one type of cricket over the other, white wall over red ball, because part of what you want to do is get New Zealand's emerging test match talent as well, don't you one.
Speaker 3: We've also introduced what's called the men's Development Squad, which is the group that kind of sits between age group and a contracted player that can that player that can get a little bit lost in club lands they've had their under ninety experience, but not quite making a contracted player in their EMA because it's pretty it's pretty tough to get a contract these days. You don't just walk out of those things and straight into a contract too often. So we've created that space where we have trainings with those players during the winter and then we play against all the m A eight teams to really try to promote those players from within, and that's been really successful. There's been a lot of players come out of that mean's development program that now I do have contracts, and I think it's helped some of the head coaches around the country to look outside of their sixteen nine contract list at the talent that's coming through. So I think that's been largely successful at the moment, and those coaches are really engaged and getting those players that aren't contracted still training in their environments, which is you know, that's everything we're looking for. So it's really good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wouldn't expect you to name names, but do you see talent there that you judge as of now could be test match players or ODI players internationally for New Zealand and they need the extra work and opportunities that the game can give them one hundred.
Speaker 3: The way it kind of works out is every second year we have an Under nineteen World Cup team. Out of that boarding fifteen man squad tends to be eighty percent will go on and play first class cricket and about thirty percent and become black Caps. That's sort of the way it's it's run.
Speaker 5: So it would be.
Speaker 3: Unlikely that someone that comes that we have an under nineteen national tournament and is not future black Caps in there. So that's always really exciting, and it's sort of I suppose the long year in the game, you'd like to think your eye gets better and better, but it's it doesn't always. You know, it doesn't always work out that way. As you know is as players develop at different different age ages and stages, and they have different maturation physically and mentally. So it's some times you see something and you go, wow, that's amazing, and it doesn't eventually. But I think the more you're in the game, the more you start getting a little bit more accurate with it. And yeah, it was great at this tournament season. Some talent there that you think has got It's not just the skills you see on show or the tactical awareness. It's the other things, the soft things around that you're here from their coaches and parents and things about how much they love the game, the drive and the drive to get better. So it's that kid that goes and trains on his own outside of outside of organized trainings and most of the things that are things that we're looking for as well that we know is a really good recipe if you've got that skill to going on to high on us. So there's certainly a number of players in this tournament in that space. We've got three guys that've got the opportunity of going back that we're in the last little couple in South Africa that are still young enough to play in the next one, so that there was no given to that. But you know, there are obviously guys that are on our dars. Well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we look at the current first class domestic scene at the moment, there are a number of players who are part of the twenty nineteen side who are at the forefront. I think Willow Rat was one of those, the fella from Canterbury who took over the captaincy role this year and has before well scored a double hundred. Those players have come through that development system, haven't they.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they have. You know that that's a nice group. Even our last World Cup now we've got you know, that was just this time last year. We've got like five contracted domestic players now and there's about six that have played first class curricula. Even in the nineteenth this year we had two contracted players playing in the tournament, you know, one that wasn't available because because he was playing Super Smash. So it's very exciting times. And that's where my job satisfaction comes from as see of these guys coming through and being successful as they go through, not just as as players, but you know, becoming good people, good humans, good good parents, and good members of society. That's that's you know, that's where I get incredible job satisfaction from.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's important. And to keep them on the radar, I suppose in terms of being part of the New Zealand game, because you don't want to lose them to contracts elsewhere, which could be an inevitable Which could be an inevitable option, couldn't it for some of the younger players Exactly.
Speaker 3: Look, we're a small nation, as everyone knows but a nation that gets stuck in and a lot of our a lot of our young athletes, male and female, play multiple sports and it's it's part of our philosophy of New Zealand cricketers that we extent to play as many sports as they can until they actually have to make a decision one way or another. And we've had we've had several players over the years that are very good at at a number of sports and it comes to a crunch and they choose, choose their direction.
Speaker 2: And.
Speaker 3: We get some and we lose them sometimes, and that's okay. I think that the ones that we lose, you'd like to think the other sports will get a better athlete because they've been playing cricket, and the ones that stick with us, I think we get better athletes because they've been playing other sports as well. So we tend to develop a little bit later than some of the other nations that play a hell of a lot of cricket and specialize really early. But I think in the long run it sets us up pretty well. And I think, you know, I think the results speak to themselves. Over the last ten years or so, the way the Black Caps have performed consistently on the world stage has been pretty phenomenal.
Speaker 2: Indeed, well all the best in in terms of your developmental role with the side and producing those cricket as we need to carry the camp because there's going to be more cricket. Whether or not it's a Test match, it's hard to know, but there's obviously going to be more cricket for than the world over, isn't there over coming years?
Speaker 3: Yeah, certainly changing face as everyone knows, and there's the lure of big dollars and look at attracts players to our sport, which is great. But we've got also be aware of that and move with the times and understand that some players are just going to be focused on short form cricket and that's okay, but we do need to make sure that we prop up our red bull cricket because for us purists, you and me, a great Test match beats any other formats. So we want to we want to make sure that the game stays alive, well healthy in this country as it is in a number of other countries at the moment, no argument there was.
Speaker 2: Thanks very much for joining us on the front foot.
Speaker 3: I please thanks to us.
Speaker 2: Finally this week Jerry just a quick look at an email We mentioned one last week and we received an email from Fraser Fraser Marriott, whose father passed away recently, who I played cricket with back many many years ago, passed away from cancer and enjoyed our program and said how much his father enjoyed the latter stages of his life listening to our coverage and he was very enamored with a program you did with Australian colleagues Allam Collins and Jeff Lemon, who do an excellent podcast as well. So it was nice to get that comment from Fraser. But he did pose a question to us and I think we sort of covered it last week about the situation where South Africa and the World Test Championship final against India and many of the Australians saying it's a little bit unfair and the fact that they didn't have to play against the sides that New Zealand and England and Australia had to play. But I guess that's what goes with the territory, doesn't it. I mean, he talked about the irony being that the BCCI stroke ICC set up the future Tourist program commercially fixated with regular lengthy series among the top big three. The question is do we think there's any chance that South Africa's surprise qualification might actually prompt a rethink of a more equitable distribution. Well, it's hard to know really what the ICC is thinking about in the future series of the World Is Championship, isn't it.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, that's one of the big issues that's confronting cricket really. Who runs cricket, who's in charge, who's passing down things so that you know what the setup is for the next couple of years. We know, we said, and we all agree. I think all our listeners will agree as well. It's not an ideal tournament, the World Test Championship. It has many little holes and problems in it, but that's what it is.
Speaker 4: And we are with it.
Speaker 5: And it's been an extremely interesting last year, hasn't it. We talked about that last week as well. But it's nice to get someone who's been enjoying the program anyway.
Speaker 2: Yes, indeed, Fraser, thanks very much for the email. Sorry to hear about Dave's passing, but it's nice that you were able to share those thoughts with us and anybody else would like to send us an email. Feel free to do so on the front foot twenty at gmail dot com. On the front foot twenty, that's two zero at gmail dot com. That's it for this week, doing put your feedback up again and enjoy this sunny conditions. Boy, I don't think I better start talking about the sun in Wellington because people will start talking about the wind and done for about ten days and it's finally come back. It's finally come back to the window. Yeah we needed it, just just to call.
Speaker 4: Us down of it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well that's great, that's great once. I'm glad you're getting some of this good weather. At the moment it looks as though were in for a change though words in the next few days.
Speaker 2: They're right, Okay, we've got I've got Dream eleven super Smash to look at. I'm not looking forward to indeed.
Speaker 4: Well, we'll join again next week absolutely. I'm off to watch some of the audio
Speaker 1: Summer for more from news Talks that'd be listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on iHeartRadio