Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from news Talks B. Follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on iHeartRadio. It's time for all the attitude, all the opinion, all the information, all the debate, Now the lighton Smith podcast powered by News Talks B.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Podcasts two hundred and sixty four on seven November twenty twenty four. Now, at the conclusion of podcast two sixty three, well, at the conclusion of the interview with Patrick Basham, I made a suggestion that we do a follow up the morning after, which was of course today if it was warranted. Well it was warranted and in multiples, so we got together around midnight New Zealand time last night. Patrick has been sensational over this election. He is a wonderful man and his commentary for those interested in this amazing election, his commentary is insightful. Have a listen, Actually hold the horses, because I have just received an email from Patrick. I mean literally our final Democracy Institute Daily Express US poll Trump up three fifty percent to forty seven percent. Our Democracy Institute Daily Express US Exit poll Trump up four fifty one to forty seven percent. Trump's popular vote win up four fifty one percent to forty seven in Princess in twenty twenty eight, we pledged to do better with our final poll. Congratulations to them. It was headed by the way most accurate US presidential election polster. Congratulations and well done. Now let's have a listen.
Speaker 3: Indeed, latent, they're great to be back with you in your audience again, it seems but for me yesterday, I guess it was technically, but when the night goes well personally and professionally, it doesn't seem so long or so hard. But as you say, one of the more significant aspects of Trump's victory is that it wasn't his victory alone. That is, his party has regained control of the Senate, held onto control of the House of Representatives. And this is you know, this is a tremendous significance because Trump is apparently going to attack his second term in a more uncompromising and more focused and disciplined way in policy terms and personnel terms, etc. And to do that, he can have all of that planning and all of that help, etcetera. But he's if he had been facing come January twenty five, a hostile Democratic run Senate and or House, then his chances of doing things that are truly consequential that might outlive his own presidency let alone himself personally, would have been heavily reduced. So there's far more opportunity now potential if one favors Trump's program or parts of it, that they may actually come to life, let alone to fruit bear fruit. Of course, one of the tests will one of the tests that will be one of the experiments during this process will be to determine to what extent Trump has remade the Republican Party in his own image. By that, I mean his first term. He yes, he fought the Democrats, He fought many fellow Republicans on Capitol Hill in Congress as well. So how many of that new Senate majority are truly on site within how many in the House majority with him? You'll find out pretty.
Speaker 2: Quickly, I think, indeed, except that I get the impression that there won't be too much opposition, I think it's even crossed my mind Patrick that in the victory that he has driven, there could be a little danger, a little danger, and I mean that he might upset some people in the party because he is he assumes quite rightly that he's the man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean he is in a it's interesting for a second term president. You know, usually it's some there were immediately inducts in terms of the electoral calendar, and often much of the energy and momentum has gone despite the second victory. But Trump, it seems he's going to the nature of his comeback, the fact that he has a popular vote majority, can claim a legitimate democratic mandate, etc. This whole country has moved in his direction. Whether he won a state or not, every state has moved in his direction. He is a more formidable president. I think that's one of the great ironesy. A more formidable president in January of twenty twenty five than he was in January of twenty seventeen. And so there will be a honeymoon period. For sure. Everyone on his side of the aisle will say nice things about him, and I think that far more are genuinely onside, and far more will be wanting to go along to get along. But there will be items, but in particularly on foreign policy, where some of the more senior not necessarily majority representing, but senior foreign policy establishment types on the Republican side are going to try to from their point of view, talk some sense into him over things like Ukraine and one or two areas of contention around the world. But you know, obviously ought to be decided, but he's never been in you know, he begins his second term with an enormous amount of capital. And I remember when George W. Bush in two thousand and four, twenty years ago, sort of tonight, virtually, when he won what for some was a surprising second mandate, he said, you know, I've earned all this political capital, and I'm now I'm going to spend it. Whether we spend it wisely or not. You know, that's for the historians, but it's a recognition that, you know, when you are electorally victorious, you should do something with that. After all, that wasn't at the point. I mean, Barack Obama famously said, you know, elections have consequences, yes, and this won't be any exception to that. In fact, probably quite the opposite.
Speaker 2: Well, he appears to have won the popular vote. I was asked today, actually, what is the popular vote? And I answered, I answered it, of course, but I would like your answer.
Speaker 3: Sure. Well, of course, technically it doesn't matter in American in presidential American presidential politics, it is merely something that's nice to win but doesn't dictate whether or not you actually win the election. But you know, in practical political terms, it usually goes along with your electoral college win. And most importantly, it's a way of keeping the opposition at bay a little because if you're Trump in his first term or George W. Bush in his first term, in both cases not having won the popular vote rightly or wrongly, the opposition always go back to it, always used that as a stick to beat you with, always that you're not, you know, the people's choice. It's, you know, the peculiarities of the system have produced you as the victor. Uh, it's you know, it's whoever, whoever wins the popular vote, it's going to say that if they don't win the electoral college, even though you know, they all know the rules when they start playing the match. So it's it's an unusual thing about the American system, but it's by design. It's how the folks who wrote the Constitution wanted it to be, and so far it's largely served the country fairly well.
Speaker 2: In fact, I heard quite a bit of talk today on various channels with regard to this is the way the system was designed to work, and it's worked. It's worked either well through perfectly.
Speaker 3: What would you say, Yeah, I think it has worked pretty well because one of thee something that from a distance can be hard to appreciate is that America is so vast in every sense, not just geographically, and that the authors of the Constitution they recognized that their new country was literally a United States. It's a collection of otherwise independent countries who did and could sort of operate self sufficiently with their own own sovereignty. And therefore the only way to make it anybody to grow them together in an effective fashion was to allow mean sure that all of them had some power, had some say, so aside from all of the delegation of a lot of powers to the lower level of states and further down the chain, it meant that when choosing a president, there would be disproportionate influence given to the agricultural states, the smaller population, and states, et cetera, to ensure that basically the minority majority didn't gang up on the minority and that everyone everyone had had to say, which would help ensure that no one felt the need to, you know, to break away. So it's just one of those one of those interesting elements of the American system that we can it's very trendy, has been for some time to look at it and say, well, you know, a bunch of old white guys other they were particularly old, but you know, old, old racist white guys came up with this elitist system designed to keep you know, democracy down, but give it this sort of big leaf mirage effect that we're actually electing a president in a democratic fashion. But like most trendy progress so called progressive critiques of old school approaches and processes and instruments, they generally, upon close inspection closer in spectrum, they generally fall flat because they don't understand the history behind them, and they also don't understand the historical evolution and how in most cases, and I think the electoral College is a good example. They've proved to have been worthwhile, and you know, it's you know, apologies to Churchill, or the least worst system available.
Speaker 2: It was during an at break on Fox that I turned to CNN and there were a few of us watching, and I did it just in time to hear somebody make comment on the on the system and talk about talk about the structure the structure of the Constitution and how it needs needs to change, and they must do it. They must do it as quickly as possible. And I thought, I thought you were a crook, uh, And then I thought you're stupid, and then after that I thought I thought you were an idiot. And it was It was frustrating for me because I because I don't have a program on the radio tomorrow and the day after and the day after that, and at times like this, I feel like I want one. I want it back again, because what he was criticizing is what holds the American system together, and anybody with half a brain is aware of that. He patently is short in that department.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, I mean what it's really starred. You know when al Gore lost to Bush but won the popular vote narrowly, but you know, one then it really picked up steam when Hillary was quote unquote denied the presidency are despite winning by a couple of points. And these days, of course, they only want the electoral college gone because they figure they will they with enough enough of legal immigrants turned into US citizens overnight, you know, they'll always have more votes on the other side. And they don't like the they don't like a lot of Supreme Court decisions, so they want to add justices to the court to ensure they always have a majority. They want to end the filibuster and the Senate so they can run through anything they want they want to get, you know, all these sorts of things they want to change, you know, the number of senators or required to override a presidential veto, all these things that you know have been around forever for good reason, but they view as some of them view them as not so charming relics of a antiquated past, and others just view them as cold blooded terms. Is just hindrances to ensuring that when they have the reins of power, they can basically do what the heck they like with that power. And assuming of course they'll they'll never be on the other side, which is the classic mistake of authoritarian types. You know, throughout history they always think that they'll be in charge.
Speaker 2: Did you see perhaps speech?
Speaker 3: I caught little bits of it. I was I was in transit.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately much of it, Okay, I thought it was. I thought it was very good. I wonder whether you think that there might be a swing, a big swing, even in support of Trump, having having won the election, A support of Trump in setting out to do what he intends to greater, greater than greater than might be expected.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's certainly possible. It might even be probable. He is so he has become so humanized. Clearly, you know, it's incontroversible that a majority of voters support him. You presume they support his program. And although it's mocked by his opponents, he has genuinely built a coalition broader than the Republican Party. And whether you think of it it's a coalition of convenience or of principle, the fact is it is a political coalition that extends, you know, to many former Democrats and many independents. And they don't agree on everything, but they agree on a lot of first principles, and more to the point, they agree on what some of the fundamental crises are in American society and politics and have broad agreement on how to address them, and the sort of worry about the other smaller stuff later on. And I think that while obviously that appeals to arguably and narrow small majority of Americans right now, if the likes of Kennedy and Musk and gathered and JD. Varnce and obviously Trump and Ron Paul. They put their shoulders to the wheel and actually try to do as Trump did in his first term, try to actually do what they promised to do. And as some of us believe, if they do that, they probably will have some fairly good result. Then the year eighteen months, two years from now, Trump may be maybe viewed as somebody, who, oh, wow, isn't it too bad he can't run again? You know, you know, you have a poppy a second term president like Ronald Reagan, and people, oh, jeez, what this term limit thing happened? A shame. He's such a great president. And that would be one of the great ironies, wouldn't it if Trump went from the the prior president to the one that really had a legacy of not just accomplishment, but a certain amount of goodwill amongst the the general public.
Speaker 2: What is your what are you what are your thoughts on the court cases in New York in particular, that are still confronting the sentencing, for instance, of the of the of the of the of the of the Court of the Judge. And I'm trying to think of a lion that Ralph Harris, the Australian singer, Yeah, put into put into a song about the Court of and I can't think what it was, but it was an idiot. So I think we've I think we've got a parallel what what what do you think this might what a think might this have?
Speaker 3: Well, it's this victory guarantees that all this stuff is going to go away. It's going to be the end of it. I mean, you know, he was on a he was on an upward trajectory legally because you know, he was winning cases within dismissed, he was winning appeals, and so they there was a lot of light at the end of the tunnel. But he wasn't out of jeopardy yet. And although the you know, the more dangerous cases were gone or going. But as this whole thing has been politically driven, this decision, fairly recent decision to postpone his sentencing till after the election was clearly very political. I mean, an extremely political judge under the thumb of extremely political prosecutors were deciding that well, Trump could win, so why don't we wait till we find out whether he's won to decide whether he really needs to go to prison? And you know, these are cowardly, unprincipled types, and so they're acting in that way. And I'm sure they will have an epiphany sometime between now and January nineteenth and decide that for the greater good, they can see the other side of this, and that, you know, I think that's the way. I think it will sort of peter out right, and none of these people are ever going to say they're sorry or wrong, but he has. I mean, it's a shame that you have to be elected president to avoid bankruptcy in prison. But you know, you know, Elon must say that. I think I was at the taper caston on one of the podcasts you know that Trump doesn't win, the question is how long will I go to prison for? And it's a funny line, but it's also cuts to the very core of what Trump has been dealing with on a personal level these last couple of years. This is not you know, this is not your father's or your grandfather of America at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, spending a little time thinking while you were talking, but listening all the same. The Court of King Correctus was the name of the song, and it was a very successful one. Now on the other side of the ledger on Carmela's team, who was responsible for this scenario? Who's to blame? Who can be held accountable?
Speaker 3: Well, in Washington, d C. So we don't hold people accountable. We just we just they just fail upwards. But it's I think it's a combination. I mean, some of the blame is her own, but she's so in cape and limited you can't say it's mostly her fault. It's more the fault of those who put her in this position, and I mean her, the people that she's had on her campaign, the people who survived working for her, and the Vice President's office, et cetera. You know, these are folks who are fully paid up members of the woke DEI identity politics club. And they immediately either concluded or already thought had thought for some time that she ever ran the president again. That you you know, you just play the identity card, and that is how you collect votes from the you know, the requisite groups, the women, the people of color, this that and the other, and you you you know you and when you pander to the you know, the gay groups and the lesbian groups and the Chinese grenda and all the rest of it, and you you know, you just you do the arithmetic and you add up that group and that group and that group. You end up with a majority, and you noly ignore, but you actually denigrate the other groups because obviously woke politics succeeds in theory by you know, raising your side up by knocking the other side down. And so everything from their advertising to their what passed the policy positions, Etcaster the way that the rallies were choreographed. You know that everything was that and it stayed that way the whole time because fortunately for Trump, these folks don't tend to learn from their mistakes, right, and then were there were a couple of moments when Obama Biden people weren't allowed anywhere near and Obama people tried to sort of grab the reins as they saw the thing going, you know, going off the cliff, but to little avail. So it's you know, it's it's a lot of you know, if you're to have the Democrats, we're going to have a firing squad and put put down all the people responsible. You're basically talking about a couple of dozen twenty thirty somethings who've spent their lives to this extent. You know, in graduate school and in political jobs, and most are mostly themselves in the positions they are because they have the right skin color, the right gender if I can use that word, in democratic circles, and you know, all the right sexual orientation, etc. So it's it's just everyone likes to see people, you know, take a beating after a failure. However, in this case you might say it's more deserved than is often the case.
Speaker 1: Latens with.
Speaker 2: Look on the international scene, what do you think, what do you think the world is thinking right now? And when I say the world, I mean I mean the parts of the world would matter.
Speaker 3: Ah, okay, I think it's it's it's mixed, not because most of them are ambivalent, because where you stand on Trump from a foreign perspective depends very much on where you fit, you know, So you have well, I maybe I'm about to contradict myself, not for the first time. Like the Chinese, for example, they're very concerned about would be tariffs, you know, Trump returning to getting tough on on intellectual property protection, all these sorts of things, Concerned that Trump is going to push back over Taiwan and all of this. However, at the same time, the Chinese, I think actually rather like dealing with Trump the way that they back in the day, like dealing with Reagan rather than Carter say, they like they understand the Chinese and the Russians and others. They understand and strong leaders, you know, they can they can not necessarily anticipate their moves, but they understand then their headspace, their perspective, whereas these sort of wishy washy liberal types, you know, preaching humanitarianism and without much of a political spine, they don't really know what to do with them. They're so you know, so literally and figuratively foreign to them. So I think on a on a person to person level, they the Chinese will be quite happy that Trump's back. They know what they're dealing with. But in terms of policy outcomes, there's going to be some anxiety there, I mean Putin and Russia. I'm sure he may have publicly endorsed Kamala Harris, which I think is quite clever on his part. I think he'll be very pleased, not because I think, as the Democrats do, that Trump wishes to do his bidding, but because Putin views Trump I think as as an American version of himself, that is the patriot, nationalistic, self interested America first to match Putin's Russia first again, someone who he's not going to fall in love with, but someone who he thinks he can under he understands, who he can do business with. You know, they can reach mutual agreements and accommodations. You know. Then you you know, you have your your Western Europeans, You're particularly your EU, who of course are not going to be happy. But that's rather wonderful because they'll be unhappy for lots of good reasons. You know. Trump is obviously everything that they dislike culturally, politically, ideologically, and you know, he just he calls them out, he shows them up. You have to add the UK to that now now that there they officially have a woke globalist government is rather than one just in in practice, the likes of Justin Trude in Canada for whatever months he has left in power. You know, he's this is this is a nightmare for him. Uh. And you know, when I think it isn't Trump, who who says that Fidel Castro's Justin Trudeau's real father? And uh, which is a rather delicious way of kicking off a conversation. So I mean, I think a lot of the Asian important Asian countries, you know, in addition to China, are going to have that mix of economic trade repredation. But at the same time, I think they know what they're dealing with. And then of course you get the Middle I say, the Middle East and many African countries, the ones that are going to be most pleased outside of probably Eastern Europe, because they in both cases, particularly in the Middle East, the Arab State and obviously Israel thought they had a very productive relationship and which it had continued just having got back you know, from Saudi Arabia and Qatar. I mean, it's incredible actually how widespread the support for Trump's election was. You know, to a person, they couldn't believe that America would even consider not re electing him. And then many many of the more important African in Nigeria's, in South Africa and South Africa's et cetera. You know, they they there's two things about Trump that stand out to them. One is the man himself. That is, they they culturally are drawn to a strong figure of which you know, for good or for ill he represents. And then also they recognize more openly than and with more experience than most other countries and cultures what a corrupt political state looks and acts like. And so, you know, I mean my experience. You're talking with your average African about you know, the US, each state, and they just not away because they recognize that and his critique of it rings true to them because that's what many cases they are have been, have dealt with, or are dealing with. And uh, you know, so they don't they don't see him as paranoid or conspiratorial. They just see him as a realist. And so yeah, it's I mean in America and I think probably in Canada, and I dare to say maybe in New Zealand and Australia as well. The sort of working assumption is that the when he was president, the rest of the world was very unhappy, was very unhappy, and that they would be again. And I think it's more accurate to say that Western Europe was and would be, and everywhere else it's a mixed, much more shade of grain. In some cases you know, actually quite work, quite happy, would be quite happy because.
Speaker 2: That speaking speaking of the rest of the world and the the other countries that are making shall we say, some headway of their own, and I'm talking maybe the bricks, and I'm talking other other countries, especially in the Middle East, who are carving out a future for themselves beyond what anybody, I think expected. What sort of influence would would they get out of this Trump being returned to the to the White House and the effects that he might have on them. Would they be nervous or would they be anticipatory in a much more common, a much more positive sense.
Speaker 3: I think the latter. I think that in a sort of political, diplomatic, war and peace sense, they viewed Trump as someone based on his record and his sort of pledges, somet who thinks first about how do we stop people from fighting right or prevent them from fighting in the first place, rather than how many countries can I invade? Or which which wars can I keep going? Which is the stereotype caricature, often with a lot of substance behind it, of American foreign policies, whether it's Democrat or Republican led. So I think, you know, the the Arab States, for example, think that whatever Trump says in support of Israel, his priority will be ending conflict and preventing it from kicking off. You know, so there's there's that part of it. I think the other part of it is, you know, more on the economic side, where Trump's view of economic policy through a businessman's eyes and brain and his sense of trade deals being you know, corporate deals. You know, he's the CEO of America and he's going to make a good deal. I think they view them as someone who is welcoming the opening up of many of the bricks countries, particularly in the Arab world global self, where he's going to be looking for a good deal for America, but he's happy for them to prosper. He's happy for them to be more globally facing. Economically, it favors trade deals, but you know, his notion of what a good trade deal is is different from a lot of his predecessors. So again, I think it's this sense outside of Western Europe, the sense of whether they are on paper ideologically in sync, or whether they think he's a nice guy or not, just a sense that this is somebody that you can work with, right, This is somebody who's very bottom line oriented, who isn't so concerned about what you may have said about him in the newspaper last week. The way that some sort of insecure leaders are He's just, you know, let's get this done. And because he's so overtly America first, it sort of clears the decks a little bit and just focuses people's minds on the fact that, you know, he's looking for a good deal for his country. That's really all he cares about. But he doesn't think that you benefiting is mutually exclusive from him achieving his objective.
Speaker 2: So from your perspective, what do you think Trump's view of his fellow Americans is? And when I when I asked that question, I mean of all classes, of all groupings, and especially those who he has considered to be dumb, stupid and dealt with them accordingly. Now that he's in this position, what do you think his reaction is to those people?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean he thinks generally. I think he's somebody whose default position is to think very favorably upon you know, his fellow Americans in an individual case basis, until they prove themselves otherwise sort worthy of respect and all the rest of it. He is someone who has I don't think he's such a conversion. But because of the way he was brought up, the time he was forced to spend you know, working on his father's construction sites and that kind of thing, whether it was in his DNA or it was something environment because the environment that he spent time in as a youngster, you know, he has this lifelong rapport with working class, blue collar people work you know, who work with their hands, make things, fix things, and all that kind of stuff. He he doesn't just know them and what they do, but he actually gets them right. That's something that most obviously most billionaires don't. But most these days politicians are usually from a pretty nice, comfortable, class back background and all the rest of it, and their exposure to those those folks who you know, belong to unions or you know, do make things and build things, fix things is pretty limited, you know, except for maybe when somebody comes to fix something at their house. So he has a lifelong kind of respect for quote unquote ordinary people doing this, I'm putting words in his mouth, but the ordinary things that make the world go around, right, and that's his natural those are his natural. Those those are whom he feels, he naturally automatically feels the need to protect and speak for, you know. And and the way that American society culture has evolved, they have become increasingly marginalized economically, socially, et cetera, et cetera, insistence of the Western phenomenon. But there are there are more of them in America and in most places, and the changes is more pronounced, probably and more painful. And so he is ironically truly a spokesperson for those in the bottom half, even though he comes from the top of the top half. That means that many in his class and the class of the strata just below him no only disagree with him about the innique, goodness and utility of those in the bottom half, but they resent him for his affinity and the devotion and support and true affection that many in the bottom half have for him, because they know these are his critics in the middle and upper classes. They recognize that not in a million years would their plumber want to have a beer with them, unless you know he was paid well for his time were in Trump's case, you know, ordinary people just like to hang with him because he just he's just a pleasant guy, you know, who listens to their stories and actually seems to care about their lives. So, but that means that at this point he's far more acutely aware of the people he thinks are lazy and stupid and what the threat that they pose to him and to indirectly the people he's trying to represent. And he recognizes that the people, the people that he was putting those categories today at least, are those who are very well credentialed and have impressive resumes. But as Trump's always said, you know, when you're hiring somebody, you know, the resume is the last thing you look at. You know, it's like, what have they done, where they achieved and what kind of person are they? And I think that when he assesses, as he apparently does very quickly, somebody he goes very much of first impressions, wisely or unwisely, he pretty much very quickly knows and will know is they work out who they want to hire. You know, these several thousand ob every president get gets to fill which of these categories people fall into. And He's going to be pretty brutal about it, far more brutal than he was the first time, because he thinks he's learned lessons on that experience.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, so I saw him on television tonight walking into the walking onto the stage to make his acceptance speech, and he was accompanied by his wife, Millenia, and his son Baron. Did you witness that I didn't. I didn't write that's all right, No, So I now need to explain it. So he walked in with them at the head of the rest of the family, and the uz Andahs were quite stunning because of one thing, you know what, That was the height of his son. They thought they thought they thought that he was about six foot six or something like that, and I said, no, he's six foot ten. This is before he came in. And they walked in and everyone went old and wow, look at that. And I wonder your thoughts on Trump's thoughts and attitude and approach to having a son, because he's got others as we know, but having a son, his youngest son, who is outstandingly tall, apparently apparently very intelligent. I can't verify that, but so I'm told. And what effect that might have on the father as far as the son is concerned. Do you know what I'm asking? I'm asking, what does he what do you think he might think about the son? And what the son thinks about all this, and what impression he tries to make on him or what he's what he's trying to encourage his son to do, be, etc.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's an interesting one, but quickly because the age wise, this las most recent son is more of a traditionally a sort of grand grandson age right, difference in age, So it's a yeah, I know, it's I think it's something that's sort of really crept up, not creptal on people. People feel that it's come out of nowhere because you know, when he was first elected, his son with ten you know, and suddenly he's a young man whose you know, towers over his tall father and his son has been parent not apparently. I mean, it's well documented, incredibly influential in a positive way in directing his father towards all these various uh general all these zoomored you know generation Z podcast as an influence and all of that. Right, he's sort of really got his head on straight into me. He's obviously, however intelligent he is and like you, I can't prove the years there isn't, but it seems he is. He's obviously very astute and politically, he's obviously absorbed a lot over the time he was in the White House and ever since and he looks. I mean he was I mean literally, I mean literally figuratively appears to be somebody who you know, if this was the Kennedy family, you'd say, oh, well, you know, in ten years he's going to be in Congress and they're going to be in the Senate and all that kind of thing, that traditional sort of trajectory, And that may be the case. The interesting but gut's really interesting with the Trunk family, of course, is his two elder sons, Don Junior and Eric, are quite formidable in their own right and in the political sense. The working assumption is that Don Junior wants to have a political future and it might not be long before he jumps into a Senate race or a gubernatorial race or maybe even you know, presidential race. You know, he's impressed a lot of people. His brother has too, but his brother's a little more I think keen on the background, and I don't think has the desires on being a candidate. But so it's I'm not trying to suggest there's a Don Junior versus versus basketball playing son, you know, Baron Baron versus John Junior competition coming to be the next candidate, But you could see how both of the Trump might look at both of them and think there's somebody, you know who could follow in my footsteps. And he you know, he may be right about both or certainly you know one or the other. But given the difference at an age, I think barren any any opportunity of a baron, they may come, but they're they're going to come a little while after his eldest brother has already you know, tried his hand.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you, finally, what do you think the first thing he will do will be?
Speaker 3: Uh, the first thing he will do, I think will be something over the border, deportation, that kind of thing. Partly because it's so central to people's concern is partly because it's essentral to his his sort of his promise to his voters. And also because and this is why Biden worked on this issue in Biden and Kamala literally day one, is that a lot of this stuff can be done through executive order. You know, the executive orders that Trump brought in on day one, Harrison Biden rescinded them, and you know, Trump can you know, go reverse that. And it's a way of being active on an important issue right out of the gate. I think that's I mean, I think what he would like to do right off for that he may do is all of the releasing all of the you know, jfk assassination files and all this sort of deep state cover up stuff. Obviously Kennedy would like that to happen yesterday. But I think the Trump's own experience with the people want the institutions, the people who run the institutions today, the people and institutions he thought he could work with in one one to work with him. Now he knows to say the opposite is true. Is putting it diplomatically. I think he on a personal level, would just like to just lift, you know, take the top off it, turn the snow globe upside down and shake it up and see how many of them fall out, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, indeed, so it's going to be very interesting times. And again I want to thank you. We have spoken three times in the last three days, twice today, and it is well twice yesterday and today, because it's now twelve o seven am on the morning of the sixth your time, sorry, on the morning of the seventh, out time, and you're a day behind. I'm probably holding it up from much industrial achievement today, but again.
Speaker 3: Holding up from anything approaching the level of enjoyment.
Speaker 2: Well, it has been an enjoyable day. I have to say. I've taken phone calls from all over, texts from even beyond, and everybody, everybody I know, seems to be very pleased about it. I know I am, and I believe you are.
Speaker 3: Yes, we have our share of bad days, so we must take our victories where we find them.
Speaker 2: Indeed, so thank you, and we will talk sometime in the not too distant future. And it's always welcome, oh my pleasure.
Speaker 3: Always look forward to it. Now.
Speaker 2: As you can imagine, there is so much being written and published on this particular day for obvious reasons that there is a massive choice of contributors that one could adopt. But I've picked a couple come from people to who I either admire or respect or both. Firstly, firstly, historian Neil Ferguson, Trump's victory is a blow to political law, fair critical race theory, woke campuses, legacy media, and Hollywood. It's also a win for a new generation of builders like Elon Musk. That was just the opening paragraph for the article he wrote. There is in the Epic Times. There is an article from Jack Phillips. I'm unfamiliar with him, to be honest, but he's written Trump has sweeping plans for second administration. Here's what he has proposed. I only mentioned that because it's worth looking up if you can. And we come to Melanie Phillips, who I interviewed many I don't know years ago, it seems now. She's a British journalist, but she was in Jerusalem at the time and we had a terrible line. We must do her again sometime. But she has written something that I think really covers it for a lot of people. The unfortunate thing is its five pages. So what I'm going to do is start reading and see where we go. Maybe we'll get the whole lot against all odds by Melanie Phillips. But those so shocked by Trump's victory have only themselves to blame. The relief for some of us is overwhelming, even among people who dislike Donald Trump or worry about his temperament. The possibility that Carmala Harris might win that yesterday's US presidential election produced the deepest fear and dread, fear for America and fear for civilization others, however, died in the world. Democrats, formerly Republican, never Trumpers and progressives in Britain and elsewhere are clutching their heads today and moaning how good this have happened. It would take a heart of stone not to laugh. The election result is by any standard extraordinary. This is a man who the Left has spent the past eight years trying to destroy through every possible means other than a stake through the Hut. He was subjected to an attempted rolling coup, impeachment twice, law fare, prosecutions, and legal harassment. He was found guilty of sexual assault and improperly reporting hush money payments. His house was raided over the official documents that, like Joe Biden, he had taken home. He was defamed non stop with malicious distortions of his comments and claims that he was a Nazi, fascist and dictator who would destroy democracy. Then he survived, it would be assassin's bullet. Yet Trump and the Republicans have now come through to win the presidency, the Senate, and the popular vote. Moreover, in every constituency that the Democrats had assumed was their own and in which they were confident that they had the vote sewn up African Americans, Hispanics, and other minority is, women, young people, first time voters. Trump actually increased his support and crushed his opponent. Why oh why, cry the traumatized liberals. How could this possibly have happened when we said it wouldn't. We stated definitively that Kamala would win by an overwhelming majority, So how could it possibly be the case that she didn't achieve what we had said would happen. The arrogance and hoovers are overwhelming, a rich source of mockery and comic memes which are now doing the realms. However, these come from a mindset which is far from amusing. As the default position of those screaming about the threat that Trump is said to pose to democracy, this mindset is actually based on profound and venomous contempt for millions of regular folks. This was summed up in an unusually clear eyed analysis by a member of the American media. As the result was become clear last night, CNN's political commentator Scott Jennings said, this is a mandate forgetting the economy working again for millions of working class Americans. Fix immigration, try to get crime under control. Try to reduce the chaos in the world. This is a mandate from the American people to do that. I'm interpreting the results tonight as the revenge of the regular, old, working class American, the anonymous American who had been crushed, insulted, condescended to They're not garbage, They're not Nazis. They're just regular people who just get up and go to work every day, trying to make a better life for their kids. And they feel like they've been told to just shut up when they have complained about the things that are hurting them in their own lives. Jennings was a rare voice of odesty from within a liberal establishment that has thus dismissed and defamed ordinary Americans for years. The reason that so many liberals simply can't believe what's happened, the reason why they were absolutely certain in their predictions that Trump couldn't possibly win, the reason they never registered Carmala's manifold and disqualifying flaws, is that the world they inhabit is a fantasy world. What they want to happen is what they tell themselves must happen. Because it must happen, it will happen, and if they tell themselves lies, and where it is undeniably not happening, they have a duty to make it happen by foul means as well as fair, because it cannot be allowed not to happen. So, when faced with the evidence of the disaster that saw Kamala Harris's candidacy, they simply didn't see what the rest of us saw. They didn't see that her inability to answer any question other than her gibberish word salads was evidence of someone who was totally unsuited to public office. Instead, the mainstream media censored those episodes on the grounds that it was their duty to ensure that she was elected because the all alternative couldn't be allowed to happen. They didn't register the copious evidence on social media of African Americans and Hispanics declaring themselves Trump voters. They did not acknowledge couldn't possibly acknowledge the disaster of americ Obama's arrogant attempt to bully young black men into voting for Carmela, a desperate move which backfired so very badly when these young men declared themselves insulted by a man who had done nothing for them while he was president. But when they deem unconscionable, really does happen despite all their efforts. It's as if the world has turned backwards on its axis. It's an offense against nature itself. It simply cannot be. Hence the titanic effort by the liberal establishment in Britain to reverse the twenty sixteen Brexit vote. Hence the unconstitutional and probably illegal three year attempt by elements in the Justice Department, the FBI and Democratic Party forcilvie d by a shockingly partisan media suppressing the truth to leave Trump out of office the first time. Round Lo and behold, there are already threats to repeat that attempted coup against democracy by those who, in the same breath are intoning that Trump will now destroy democracy. In the Atlantic, Tim Nichols writes, after Barack Obama was elected president in two thousand and eight, then Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell vowed to make Obama a one term president and obstructed him at every turn. McConnell, of course, cared only about seizing power for his party, and later he could not muster that same bravado when faced with Trump's assaults on the government. Patriotic Americans and their representatives might now make a similar commitment, but for better aims. Although they cannot remove Trump from office, they can declare their determination to prevent Trump from implementing the ghastly policies he committed himself to while campaigning. The kinds of actions that will stop Trump from destroying America in twenty twenty five are the same ones that stopped many of his plans the first time around. They're not planshy, and they will require sustained attention. Because the next battles for democracy will be fought by lawyers and legislators in Washington and in every state capital. They will be fought by citizens banding together and associations and movements to rouse others from their sleepwalk that has led America into this moment, and Philip's writes get that patriotic Americans must now prevent Trump from carrying out the pledges he made to the American people on the basis of which they voted for him, the essence of a democratic election. Liberals having this smeltdown are accusing Trump of behavior of which they themselves are guilty, contempt for democracy, subborting the constitutional order, lying bullying extremism, suppressing contrary opinions, and promoting hatred and division. Psychologists call this kind of accusatory behavior projection. It's a mental disorder. The chances that projection word has come into play from out of nowhere. Maybe it's been part of the psychologists or psychiatrists lexicon for a long time, but I've never heard it before, just recently. But it is a mental disorder. The chances of this election resulting in such people questioning their own mindset and assumptions which have now so spectacularly blown up in their faces, the chances are very slim. A notable exception has been Scott Jennings, who, in his rare media copper also said the following, I also feel like this election was something of an indictment of the political information complex. We've been sitting around it for the last couple of weeks, and the story that was portrayed was not true. All these gimmicks we were we're going to push Harris over the line, and we were ignoring the fundamentals inflation. A feeling like they were barely able to tread water at best. For all of us who cover elections and talk about elections and do this on a day to day basis. We have to figure out how to understand, talk to and listen to the other half of the country that rose up tonight and said we've had enough. Absolutely correct elsewhere, says Phillips. Elsewhere, However, liberal commentators are employing funereal tones today, as if they are in mourning, and of course they're lashing out at the people they say at a blame. They blame Harris for failing to be different enough from Joe Biden. They blame women for unaccountably failing to vote for her. They blame people without a college degree for not having the intelligence to agree with them. They blame the dark forces of human nature. They blame Elon Musk for existing. What such people can't see and never will see, is that the people to blame are themselves very good piece. Don't you think it covers? It covers so much, so much that hasn't been recognized, so much that wasn't broadcast, wasn't put into print, and now they're faced with the consequences, and that will take us out For podcasts number two hundred and sixty four For those of you who've stuck with it and have enjoyed it and appreciated it. I thank you. We shall No, there's no Mai room because well there's no momorroom this week, so we shall. We shall return next week with the podcast two hundred and sixty five. Until then, as always, thank you for listening and we shall talk soon.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: For more from News Talks, be listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on iHeartRadio