Speaker 1: Football Fever with News Talks MB's voice of Football Jason Paine and Bonny Jensen. Hello there and welcome into Football Fever another episode as we cover off all sorts of things to do with football here in New Zealand, across in Australia and around the world. I'm Jason Pine Bonne Jensen here too.
Speaker 2: Hello, Bonnie Sholder, Piney, how are you very good?
Speaker 1: A good weekend in terms of the volume of football. No wins though for the Wellington Phoenix women, the Wellington Phoenix men or Auckland FC, so you know, lots to discuss though as far as their performances are concerned, and I guess we might as well do it chronologically. Friday Night, Melbourne, Wellington Phoenix one. Melbourne victory one. The first time Wellington Phoenix have ever got a point in a women's game in the state of Victoria. They've been traveling to Melbourne for a while. Seven previous visits, seven losses are one all drawn. How happy you reckon they'll be with that?
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm really stoked for the team. When I saw the result come through, I can't say I watched it. I'm a terrible Football Fever co host but it was the night of our work Christmas party. But when I saw the result come through, I was absolutely stoked. I mean, going into that game, they had a tough ask. You know, Claudia Bunge plays at the back for Melbourne Victory. They've had a good season so far, you know, have won titles, so many titles there and yeah, I thought I thought the Phoenix were going to have a bit of a challenge on their hands. So to get a result like that and to score and you know as late as they did from a substitute coming on, yeah, absolutely brilliant, aren't come.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I look in terms of the table positions, I don't think anybody picked pick this, and especially to come from behind to grab the point. You're so right, Yeah, Claudia Bunch also a couple of Matilda's in that Melbourne Victory team, Alex cheddy X and the team Emily Gilnickx and the team they both started, you know, for Paul Temple's side to you know, to play the way they did and well, first of all, keep melbourn Victory to one goal. Given that, as I understand, looking at the stats from memory, I haven't got them in front of me, but I think Melbourne victory dominated possession, probably had more of the of the chances, but scored through a penalty in the fifty first minute. But off the bench a couple of players made a big impact. Emma Main and Mania Elliott were two of the subs that were sent on and they combined for the goal. Have you seen the goal? You must have seen the goal.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah, the goal is great and yeah, great impact those players had. And you know, I think Paul Temple's really found what works for his team. You know, last week we spoke about how Grace Jarlay didn't get the start. She obviously started this week and played all right by the looks of it. And then you know Emma Main, who had started early games. I think Mania Elliott did as well. Obviously Paul Temple sees them more as impact players and you know that they answered and they did that really nicely. What I really like about the team this year is, you know, compared with actually the last seasons that they've played in the past, they're quite an attacking side. You know, they're going for it a Lissa winnhim, you know, Grace Jarlay, the imports as well. It's really promising. And then they're not just having to sit back and defend all the time. So that's what I'm really enjoying about this woman's side this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you're so right about the players coming in and out of the eleven as well and finding their right role within the side. Because yeah, Emma Main she started three games and come off the bench three times, Mania Elliott exactly the same. We've also seen Grace Jarlay come off the bench a couple of times. So I feel like Betanaka is the other one, the Japanese player who's joined the team this year. Three starts, three off the bench. I just wonder whether Paul Temple's still looking for his best eleven or actually what he's doing is saying, Okay, for this opposition, this is the best eleven and these are the best impact players.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, and whatever it is. However Paul Temple is looking at it, I think for the players on the receiving end, they're looking at it as a competitive squad. Yes, it might be harder to kind of gel as a group with the lineups kind of changing every week, but at least the players are all kind of fighting for their position and as Emma Main and who got the assistant and I came on and scored. You know that they proved exactly that that they want to fight for a starting spot. And yeah, it's positive that there. I mean, can we call it depth? I guess yes we can. It's positive that Paul Temple has options.
Speaker 1: Absolutely it's depth. Yeah, no, absolutely, you can call it that when players are coming on and making an impact like they are. There's a core of players who have started every week and look set to continue throughout the season. Kelleen of Vilao is clearly the number one goalkeeper, Mac Bowie, Tiana jaber Miya McCutcheon has started every week. I think Olivia Kelly will be a fixture in the back four as well or a back three, depending on what they do. But the other player I just want to mention is Annalie Longo. She is just a proper player in this team. Drives them forward, fully committed, leads by actions as well as by words, hugely experienced another really really good game from Annealie Longe. I mean, she's a standout player in this team. And you know, I reckon a huge part of what they're all about.
Speaker 2: You're right, Planey. She leads by example, and that's what Flee's done and obviously Flee is her nickname. That's what she's done all throughout her career as well, involved in christ Church and you know Canterbury United, Pride and the Football Federation down there, and she's always just working with the younger players and I think she's doing that exceptionally this season in terms of helping these younger players come through. And we've got a Ferns camp coming up in January, I believe, and you know, I would like to see the likes of Emma Maine, Alyssa Wynham and I Elliot knocking on the door of that because they're certainly putting their hands up and I think that's you know, being encouraged by Annalie Longo as a leader of this team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Alysa one of is. The other one I should have mentioned is as a player who started all six matches, if she can just find I think I said this last week, if she can just find some end product, some cutting edge. She creates a lot of things. She gets herself into good positions. If she could add goal scoring to her CV, she could really take a step up to the next level as well. And that might be football football ferns inclusion. So three games unbeaten now for the Phoenix, wins over Adelaide United and Brisbane Raw, followed by this draw against Melbourne victory. They're back home on Saturday Pottydoor Park. They're up to eighth on seven points, just one outside the top six now one point that is, and they face Sidney FC, which on the face of things seems like a difficult assignment, but Sidney having troubles of their own. They've only won one of their six games. They're down in eleventh place. Pretty good time for Phoenix to get Sydney FC.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is a good time. I was actually looking at the table before Pintey and I'm shocked that Sydney that low. That they won it last year. I feel no, maybe they didn't, Maybe there was a couple of years ago. But they're a good side and a perfect time for the Onton Phoenix to pounds.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. That's four o'clock on Saturday afternoon pottydo A Park as the Wellington Phoenix women look to continue what has been a really really good recent month or so unbeaten as I say, in their last three matches football Fever news talk to me. So that was Friday night. On Saturday, the Phoenix men took to Sky Stadium for a game against the visiting MacArthur side, looking to bounce back from Darby defeat. Unfortunately, they couldn't do that, going down two to one to MacArthur. What that meant was back to back losses for Wellington Phoenix for the first time since round twenty two and twenty three of the twenty twenty two to twenty three season. If you're following me, there are thirty nine matches since they last lost two in a row and three home games this season. They haven't won any of them, a drawing two losses. What did you make of this in overall terms?
Speaker 2: First of all, yeah, it's not a good result of the Phoenix. I was really hoping they could bounce back from their loss up in Auckland the week prior to lose to MacArthur, who are what we're kind of sitting mid mid table. They should have won, they should have won at home. But it seems to be the story of this season where they're not so great on New Zealand soil this year, and I just hope that it'll change for them. But it was interesting to see them go to a back four. Pinty. I think Chiefy must listen to the podcast because you asked for it last week.
Speaker 1: I'm almost certain Jianclo Italiano does not listen to the podcast. I know, I'm almost certain that he doesn't. And I'm almost and I'm equally certain that he has zero interest in what I think of the Phoenix site. That has become pretty obvious to me. Not that it matters. He doesn't have to pay attention to me. All he has to do is try and win the matches. He had to go to back four, though, which I liked Payne Wharton, Hughes Sutton. I like that Marco Rojas starting. I really liked that first time he started for the Phoenix in five and forty eight days. I thought Marco was really good. Got an hour or so out of him. I think if the Phoenix are to you know, to start, you know, turning things around, that's what it is. I mean, we've only had six or seven games only we need to get too down on the team. But if they are to start trending in the other direction, I reckon Marco Rojas is going to have a huge part to play in that.
Speaker 2: I was so excited to see him play and you know, jelling so well with cost especially. I don't know if anyone on the any football football fever fans remember me saying when I grew up watching the Phoenix, Leo BeRTOS was my favorite player. But then when Marco Rojas came along, I really felt bad to Leo BeRTOS because I switched my allegiance to Marco being my favorite player. And I was, Yeah, I was soaked to see him out there getting the start this week, and as you say, Piney, he's going to be dangerous for the nixt going forward.
Speaker 1: I just love to love seeing the combination between Marco Rojas and Costa Barbarusis and and the obvious example was the goal Thatton scored in the forty fourth minute. Marco gets a little ball, it's a little back he'll pass from Costa, goes through a gap between two players, takes another player out with a pass to Costa is peled out towards sort of the right hand side, and he drills it in the top corner near post. Pasted Philip kurto terrific goal. Seventeen goals in his last twenty eight A League games now for Costa, barbarusis he's having a terrific time of things in the twilight of his career ninety eight in the A League now, so he almost inevitably will bring up the one hundred at some stage. So that's the good stuff. Unfortunately for Wellington, either side of Costa's goal, they conceded to Isaac Hughes handball, one of the most blatant handballs I think I've ever seen. Early in the game the penalty awarded. Valiz jah Mahn initially had a spot kick saved by josh olaway Yemi before tucking away the rebound for one nil. Costa's goal made it one all at half time, and then Dean Bosny scored the winner for MacArthur after seventy five minutes. I'm not sure it was defended as well as Wellington would have hoped that it could have been. But really I just felt like this was a game that Wellington should have won and didn't get anything from.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, firstly, just speaking on Isaac Hughes, I really feel for him. Obviously, the week before he scored an own goal and now you know, giving away this hand well not ideal for the confidence, but I think, you know, overall we've seen chief he give these young players an opportunity and they're obviously going to grow from it. So I hope in terms of Hughes he can kind of keep his head up. Yeah, but I agree. I think there was a real lack of energy from the Wellington Phoenix. There seems to be kind of not a lot of drive from them. And whether that's because they're you know, big little brother has come in Auckland f C, I'm not sure, but you know, I think it's not that long ago that they had the best season in their lives and then they need to kind of draw inspiration from that and get back on track.
Speaker 1: I think it's also worth noting that it is quite a different side from last year, you know, and teams do take time to regadjust. And got some audio from Jianclovitaliano to play in a moment which talks in general terms about where he sees the growth areas being. But when you look at the players who have come out of that side, who were so important to them last season, and you start at the back with Alex Paulson, then you come forward and you say, well, there's no more Finn Sermon in the team and we know how good he was last year, Ben Old Bojidar Krajev is another one, Oscar Zavada, And then you look at the players who are there and remember last year Oscar van Hatam was giving Wellington terrific value off the bench. He wasn't even in the matchday squad on the weekend. I don't know what on earth has happened with David Ball. We haven't seen him since Round one. He hasn't been cited in a match day squad for the last month or so. I've got absolutely no idea what's going on there. So it is quite a different playing group with different cultures coming in a couple of Japanese players. Of course, we've got a new goalkeeper and that always sort of, you know, it takes a little bit of time to adjust to as well. So yeah, I just wonder whether they just need a little bit more time to you know, to really gel as a team and get their culture where it needs to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I completely agree, and I think it is a bit strange that those players, Oskar van Hattam David Ball haven't really been involved much this season. I'd also like to see chief the experiment a bit more. I mean, it's obviously not going to plan, so why not, you know, give that young Nathan Walker some more minutes or Corbyn Piper, who I understand was awesome in the Northern League, you know, earlier this year, and we haven't seen much of players like them, so why not give them a shot because it's not working at the moment anyway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's I think just on Isaac Hughes as well. I think he will be persisted with and chief He even said that afterwards. You know, it has been a tough couple of weeks for him, you know, to to headline grabbing things. When you score an own goald and give away a penalty that that is going to grab the headlines for you. I think other than that, he's been reasonably solid. You know, he's certainly not at the level Finn Sermon was at last year, and I don't think you can expect him to be, but I think he will be persevered with. Just on the the comments from Chiefy after the game, he was asked about what the big growth areas in the side are for him, where he sees the biggest growth coming, and he gave an answer which sort of went into all sorts of different places. So here is Here is Jihan Calo Ataliano post match on Saturday.
Speaker 3: I think the most important is the team, the team values and the team culture. I think it's not so much that you know, you lose a lot. Look, you can lose. I've got no problem with losing. You know, if if a coach or a team has a certain way of playing and they played to that strength and they win, credit to them. What I can't forgive is where I think there's a lack of belief in the playing group and in the playing group now, once we concede it, I didn't think we're ever going to score like it was just a feeling. Last year had that feeling we're always in the game. So again, there needs to be a common thread within the whole playing group. Now that could be lack of maturity in terms of the new playing group. It could be that, you know, sometimes a senior players think that's just a carryover of last year and things are going to work. Unfortunately, that's not the way football works. You know, you consistently have to prove yourself. So again I'm going to go back take some steps We're going to reevaluate what our core beliefs are and what is going to push us to that next stage, because in the end, what I want to see is I can lose every game. You know, I've had seasons where I've had teams struggle to get a win, but the belief in the group was always there that you know, they were always going to try up until the ninetieth minute, and that's a feeling that is transmitted I think not only you know, within the playing group, but also to the fans itself. I think that's a big thing because they pay their money. They're hard money to come to the game. They keep the club afloat, and they want to see that the players are always giving one hundred percent. I'm not saying that we gave up today, far from it. I'm just saying that again, I don't think the real belief was there that we could get out, especially you know when we got to one or you know, even a halftime. In those moments, we needed to capitalize and we came out I don't want to say flat, but again, we're very slow to start again, and we lost a lot of easy ball and just simple things. Even in the second goal, like just the recoveries from certain players, we're not up to scratch. So again, you know, it's great learnings from me and the coaching staff. We have to go back, we have to reevaluate, we have to make sure that we're all in the same pace as if far we're going to make any progress as a team.
Speaker 1: All Right, lots to unpack there. He said lack of belief two or three times in there. So how do you assess their ability to gain that belief back?
Speaker 2: Well, I think the first, you know, important thing there is that Chief he acknowledges and you know, has figured out to some extent that that's what the issue is, that there's kind of a lack of belief for lack of fight from his players. It's now, you know, obviously up to the team to rally and work out between them to you know, get over this kind of lull that they're seemingly in. But also, you know, I would like to see Chief he make some big calls here and whether that is you know, giving those younger players I mentioned before a go, or maybe it's you know, making some big calls and sitting out some of the senior players that maybe aren't showing leadership. I'm not sure, but because it's not currently working, there's an opportunity for some change, whatever that might be.
Speaker 1: Do you think they've got the depth to do that?
Speaker 2: I mean, that's another tough call, but I mean and probably not. But you know, like I don't think, I don't think there's any harm in trying now because the results aren't coming, to try and switch up and see what will happen.
Speaker 1: So you you're talking about if you're talking about senior players, are you talking about the likes of Alex Rufer, Tim Pain. I think Scott would's probably been the best player all seasons. I don't think he is in danger of losing his place, particularly with a lack of depth that's center back. But are you talking about those sorts of players, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think, you know, if they're not showing leadership, and obviously chief he will know better what's what's going on within the group. But if they're not showing leadership on and off the field, maybe it is a chance for someone like Moel Tay to come into the midfield and have a shot, because he was great for the Phoenix last year, you know, and there's obviously the likes of Nathan Walker, Corbyn Piper who I mentioned that could come on in that full back position, and you know, maybe he put a bit of pressure on these senior players like Tim Payne, like Alex Ruver, who are very comfortable in their position. Obviously they're all whites. Obviously they're good players. I'm not denying that, but you know, just create a bit of competitiveness and within that group. Like we talked about what's happening in the women's team right now.
Speaker 1: All right, we'll see what happens with the team selections in the time to come. The Phoenix still have ten points after seven games now, that's more than they had after seven games in twenty eighteen, nineteen twenty nineteen, twenty twenty twenty one to twenty two, and twenty twenty two to twenty three, and they made the finals in all of those seasons. It is still early. They've still got plenty of time. I feel like this team now is still a top six side. I'm just not sure they're a top four side.
Speaker 2: Oh, they'll be right up there for sure. You know, it's a long season. Piney and we mentioned Marco Rojas to his company. I would have loved to see him play, you know, start against Auckland last week. What he and Costa could have done. You know, they've got you know, they might not have the complete depth like a side like Auckland do, but they've got a lot of options. So I'm hoping they kind of rally and bring back that special spark they had last year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think Marka was coming back from that injury, so I think they was still just a little bit reluctant to risk him from the start against Auckland. When he came on, I think he was good. He started, of course against MacArthur very good and said afterwards that he's, you know, getting up to the point where he might be you know, like a seventy five minute eighty minute prospect. I thought he was was Wellington's best player on the weekend for the time that he was out there. And yeah, looking forward to seeing a lot more of of Marco.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: One final piece of news before we leave the Phoenix. A media advisory came out today just a short time ago, actually before we started recording, saying that tomorrow Tuesday, the club will announce a major contract extension for a Phoenix men's player, b Marco.
Speaker 2: Rojas, maybe hopefully. I mean he's on fire. Would you say he's like kind of in the twilight of his career, He's kind of how old is Macho? Is he getting on a bit?
Speaker 1: I think he's thirty two, so that I mean, he seems to have been around forever, but that's because he came in as a seventeen eighteen year old. But yeah, he's currently just got the one year deal. So yeah, he feels most likely to me. Costa Barbarusis is another one. He's just killing. Yeah, yeah, well he scored.
Speaker 2: Maybe he's like all feeling it, you know, he's ready to go. Let's let's go again, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well he because he too, is only signed for this current season. Others who are only signed for this current season and not beyond Oscar Van Hattam, Tim Payne, Sam Sutton, Scott Woodson, David Ball, Muhammad al Tay, Costa Barbarusis, Marco Rojas, Dublin Boone, Corbyn Piper, and Stefan Kolakowsky. When you're talking a major signing, you're probably looking at a Marco or a cost maybe a Tim Payne as a as a senior play though yeah, I don't I have absolutely no inside word on this, but I hope it's Marco.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hope it's one of those those three Kiwi players. You know, you do wonder if maybe someone like Tim Paine might be in talks with with Auckland f C. You know, just can to move back home. But I think all three of those those Kiwi players would be targeting the World Cup in a couple of years, so want to be playing you know, the best football where they're playing right now, So maybe maybe they'll stick around.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: Ten o'clock tomorrow morning is when that announcement will be made contract extension for a Phoenix men's players football fever. Let's go to Sunday at Amy Park, Auckland f C two Melbourne City two. Auckland lose their perfect winning record but stay unbeaten through seven games courtesy of a ninety fifth minute free kick from Nada Moreno topsy turvy game. This The first half was it wasn't anything to write home about. The second half it kind of sprang to life. Melbourne City went one up in the first half, Guijimo May equalized to make it one all after fifty three minutes. Then there was a quite pivotal period where Auckland had a goal ruled out for offside by var and then almost immediately Melbourne City went down the other end and compelled Nando Pine could have passed the ball back to Alex Paulson who somehow missed it and it rolled into his own net for two to one, and then Moreno's free kick at the end. It was all action in the second half. Do you reckon they'll be happy with a point Auckland.
Speaker 2: I think they will going into it. You know, they weren't the favorites going into the match, and you know, if you said to the players and Steve Coriker before the match that you were going to draw this game, I think they would have been pretty happy. But in terms of how the game played out, I think they'll probably be gutted they couldn't come away with the result. They were pretty poor in the first half and I think that was probably one of their worst halves of football they've played all season. But then that second half I think it was one of their best I've played all season. So I think, you know, on that note, they'll probably be gutted they couldn't come away with the three points.
Speaker 1: They were To be fair to them hit by injury leading into this game. They lost Dan Hall, who has broken his ankle at training and will be out for two to three months. Louis Vastrata, who went off in the game against the Phoenix the previous week with a back injury, was deemed not fit enough to play. He's, by the sounds of it, a week to week proposition and in a muckst aol Can Howison, who's played a part either off the bench or from the start in every game this season, is also out with a calf injury for four to six weeks. So we can talk about what that might mean going forward in a moment, but what it meant was a bit of a reshuffle. Hiroarchi Saki went into center back, call and Elliott into right back, and Finn McKenley got an A League debut in the center of the park. I really felt for Finn mcken lay. I know he's a good young kid. I just felt it was an occasion that was just a bit big for him. Yesterday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was definitely an occasion a bit too big, as you say. It was a real tough ask to throw him in there. I know they were obviously lacking midfielders for Strata and Allison, will you know the o the first two options in the defending midfield role and so Finn was what was clearly the third. And yeah, I just don't think he was ready to start that game, and sadly for him, it kind of showed. He got pulled off at halftime. Unfortunately for him. You know, you can only hope that he gained a bit of confidence knowing that you know what the level is and where he needs to be at. But yeah, I'm not sure it works too well for AFC.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well he won't have to day boom again. He's got his daybo now. I'm sure he'll play a part in the in the weeks, months and years ahead. It's interesting, though, wasn't it. Maybe Auckland FC don't have depth because if it's not McKinley, who is it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I would have liked to have seen, you know, And they're obviously going to have to look at this now with Dan Hall out for that long, which I'm actually gutted about by the way, because I reckon Dan Hall was our best player. You're, you know, alongside Hiroki and Alex Paulson. But you know, maybe it's an opportunity to start Tommy Smith, He's an experience center back, and then you put someone like Hiroki Sakai into the number six position when he came in. When he was signed, he said he could play in that defensive midfield role. So, you know, because I think Hiroki was obviously solid at the back heyes today, but we were lacking his attacking presence up that right hand fullback. I thought Klin Elliott had another exceptional game. I believe he had great stats, but you know, we were missing Hiroki, and so maybe moving him into the midfield is an option and might help with that lack of depth they might have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and what they do, You're right, They've got a they've got a very experienced center back in Tommy Smith. You're right. So yep, that's one, absolutely one option that I hadn't even considered. Sarkai could play in the six because if it's not the Strata or Howison, I don't I think we can probably agree McKinley's not quite ready. It would take a major shift in formation. For example, if you bring Nada Moreno into the side to start, it changes the whole way that they set up if you know they've got Gey Goss in there and Brimmer. If they bring in Moreno along with Rogerson, Gillian and my it almost becomes like a four to two four. But then to say, if you're right though, if you put Sarki in there, perhaps so it's Sarki, Gey Goos, Brimmer and then you stick with the three up top, then maybe that's the way Ford and Kellan Elliott. It's just a very competent a league fullback, you know, can get up and down. He did in his time for the Phoenix, So maybe that's what they do. But they're going to have to do something because you know, injuries hit teams. It's a it's a fact of professional sport that at times you have to have to go deeper into your squad. It's just been unfortunate that with the Strata and Howison both playing in effectively the same position, they've lost lost a couple of really really good options in central midfield and in deep lying central midfield.
Speaker 2: Yeah well, well all three of them really are in the center of the park. With Dan Hall as well, I think, you know, seeing another formation wouldn't be a bad idea this early on in the season. Obviously that kind of that you know, four three three with the two defense and midfielders that they've been playing with is working for them, but it's it's not going to work with the the players they've got available now. I would like to see Steve Coricer be bold and potentially changing up that front line and maybe a formation would would help that. I think I kind of feel frustrated for Liam Gillian. I think he's been exceptional and he showed that he got his All Whites call up. He's so good in that initial phase, breaking through from you know, the halfway line, having these incredible runs to the eighteen yard box. But then in that second phase it's it's kind of like, you know, I don't know if it's if it's Liam or whether it's the team around him, or even you know, the coaching stuff know what to do in that second phase, and Liam's not getting a lot of shots off. All the opportunities aren't being create created. You kind of look at the contrast of the Wellington Phoenix men with Marco and Costa, where they do create a lot more opportunities up the top, and it's a shame, you know, because Liam Gillian, he can score goals. He hasn't scored yet for Auckland FC, but he scored I think it's it was eight goals in twelve games for Auckland City earlier in the Northern League season. So you know, I think maybe a change information. I'm circling right back, but maybe a change information would help them kind of unlock more goals on those attacking players that they've got.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, em Gillian, I mean he must, whether he's thinking about it or not, he must be wondering where his first day league goals coming from. He's played seven games now, hasn't yet scored. As you say, he's been in and around positionally. It's not as though Steve Corricker doesn't have options up top. I don't know what's happened to Joey Champness. He has not featured in a match day squad, let alone got anywhere near the park this season Joey Champness, So I'm not sure what's going on there. Jesse Randall came off the bench in the first two matches. I think those are his only appearances. I'm not sure what's happened there. Louis Toomey seems to have overtaken both of those two. He's He's been used in an impact role in four of the last five matches, so maybe he's the man who who Steve Coriker sees as your impact name. Max Marter of course as well. He's got all sorts of options, you know, I honestly believe Nate dal Monano has to start. I've seen enough from him off the bench to want to see more from him. He came on at halftime yesterday. I kind of feel he has to start.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, And I think what what they should do is they should play with the back four they played with over the weekend. They can have Glagos in the as one as a central like the one man holder. They had been playing with the two sixes. But they should just have the one six and then maybe Middno and Brimmer in front in that attacking midfield role. I see that probably as the best way for next week. Rather than changing the whole formation. That would be you know, a slight tweak that they could do.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I like that because they're at home. You meant to you know, you meant to be more. You know you meant to step forward into home games, aren't you and show more intent. I like that. Yeah, guy, gos can sit deeper, brimmer, and then you've got effectively are playing for two four Then if you play Moreno Rogerson, Gillian and My that's for attacking players. You're probably just asking them, and they have been. Gillian in particular. He asked them to track back a little bit if need be, but I'm sure they can do that. So yeah, and they're playing Western United, who are eighth a team. I'm sure that they feel they have enough enough to get past. And then they're off to the Mariners the following Saturday, who are ninth. So you know, two games coming up where perhaps they don't have to be absolutely defensively, you know, really resilient. They can you know, they can get by against two of the teams who haven't exactly set the world on fire up top. Although having said that, Western United scored four goals the other day, so maybe they do have to have to have a bit of a think about it. Other parts of this game. The Alex Paulson mistake for the own goal. How much at fault do you think he.
Speaker 3: Is for that?
Speaker 2: I thought it was a bibble, poney, No, I think it was a mix of a bobble and probably a little bit of lack of concentrationiness his you know, whether the ball did bobble or not, Alex Paulson's body position wasn't completely behind the ball. He kind of just stuck his league out, which hell learned from. It's not ideal at all, but I think I must say, you know Auckland's mentality to come back twice in that game and to eventually get the result they did. Obviously they played honking in that first half. As I mentioned, you know whatever Steve Corriker said in the changing room. Once again, it's just elite and I think it's really really really cool to see this team. They're they're closers. I feel like they're professional closers. They can close out games. They didn't get the win, but for them to bounce back after Alex Paulson's blunder there was pretty impressive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh look, I agree, and he'll, I'm sure look back at it and what I think it did take a little bobble, you see, it has sort of bounced up a little bit, which hasn't helped him. But yeah, maybe he could be in slightly better position. I think the worst goalkeeping mistake is the one that allows Auckland to equalize right at the end. I mean, Nada, I don't know, has hit the free kick really well, but the goalkeeper should do better. It's straight at him. He really should stop that, so you know, maybe these two things cancel each other out. Just wanted to mention Francis Derees as well. What an absolute weapon on delivery from the left hand side. He's swung that one and that Marino is headed in which has been ruled out by var but you know the corner for Gugmo MAI's goal. Again, the marking's not great, but he's still got to put it there. He's just a weapon, isn't he.
Speaker 2: Francis, Oh, he's so good and yeah, just so happy for Frannie. I know him from Eastern Suburbs. He's actually coached me a little bit before and he's such a nice guy. So to see him just playing so well, it's really cool. I was surprised when when Steve Coroker actually brought him off because he's one of our most attacking players. He and Liam Gillian worked so well up that left hand side and obviously, as you say, Piney heat delivers some incredible ball, so I was kind of confused when Steve Coriker took him off. I think it was with about ten minutes to go. Maybe not that much, but yeah, maybe just resting him.
Speaker 1: Who knows. That was interesting. Well he brought Scott Galloway on, didn't he. I don't know. Maybe they see the numbers, don't they the GPS numbers. Maybe, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe it was like to change the formation and you know, maybe go for a more attacking three at the back type type style. I'm not sure, but it was interesting given he had kind of basically, you know, had two assists earlier in the game. But yeah, Franny's been one of their key players all season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was warm too, Maybe that was part of it as well. I know they were taking drinks breaks and stuff, so maybe the heat, wind and the humidity was playing a factor as well. So the men's table Auckland stay top nineteen points, Adelaide have seventeen. They're unbeaten as well. Melbourne victory sixteen, Melbourne City thirteen, MacArthur up to fifth place where that went over Wellington eleven points, and Wellington makeup the top six. They are in sixth on ten points. Auckland's this AX host Western United Saturday afternoon. The Phoenix are off to Western Sydney on Sunday evening. And just a final note before we leave, the A League are combined fifty goals across the men's and women's surrounds this weekend. That is the most goals for a weekend of A League games ever, surpassing the previous record of forty nine, which was over the weekend of the first to the fourth of November so just a month ago. So goals certainly the order of the day in the A League this season. Football Fever with Jason Vine and Bonnie Jensen quick look at Kiewi's overseas, some a long way overseas, some not that far away. Can we start with Devin Jackson?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Devin Jackson scored for the Newcastle Jets and their big win over Sydney FC. They won two to one, scoring two late goals. Devon got the first one to equalize, so pretty cool there. And then in the sixty first game for her club, Lester cj Bott scored her first ever goal and Grace was Nesky scored her first goal for Lexington.
Speaker 1: Yep, good to see that. I was so pleased for Grace because she had that terrible injury, knee injury ACL I think to see her over in the US scoring was already cool. Lachland Bayless, who of course played for the Olie Whites in Paris earlier this year, got a cracking goal for Newcastle against Perth, who are just terrible this season, aren't they. Honestly, I'm just I really feel for those players, the coaching staff. I'm not quite sure what the way forward is for them. I'm sure that they'll work it out, but yeah. Lachland Bayless with a terrific goal for Newcastle against Perth over the weekend. And a bit of news that dropped this morning. Dearz Buckingham former under twenties coach, former Ollie White's coach, former All Whites coach or was it just the Oli Whites? Yeah, certainly in and around the national setup. No, he's never been All Whites coach, but he was certainly Olympic coach and under twenties coach and highly regarded he was with Oxford United, led them to promotion last season from League One up into the Championship via a playoff final, queuing scenes of delirium and great delight in and around Oxford. Well, here we are. It's not even Christmas and he's been given the sack by Oxford United. It is such a brutal, brutal business, you know, for someone to lead a team to promotion and then not even halfway through the season that follows be showing the door. The quest for instant results in this instant gratification that seems to exist around top football clubs is just as I say, totally brutal. I'm sure Jars Buckingham will pop up somewhere. He's a terrific coach, a great manager. Could he be the Football Ferns coach? Could he?
Speaker 2: I mean he hasn't really been involved in the women's game, and we do know it's a whole new ballpark. But I mean he is a good coach, and yeah, I've always quite highly rated him. It is a shame that he's left on these terms. But maybe there's a few options floating around, isn't there?
Speaker 1: Indeed, indeed we STI don't have any word on the new Football Firms coach. Maybe that'll come in the new year. But we'll keep you right up to date with it, all right, Bonnie, Well, another weekend in the books. We've got the women, the Phoenix Women, the Phoenix Men and the Auckland FC men playing this coming weekend. So I guess we'll reconvene a week from now, just before Christmas and wrap up the latest, the latest in football matters. Oh you have a great week you too. Parney The f F with Piny and Bonnie