Speaker 1: Well, go to Football Fever News Talky, Hello that and welcome into Monday. Welcome into a fresh episode of Football Fever. Sorry we missed you last Monday. Neither of us were available. We are very much available today and I think that's a pretty good thing, given the fact that the Premier's plate now lives in Old Doto on New Zealand on Jason Pine, Bonnie Jansen. Can you believe it, Bonnie? The Premier's plate is now on the side of the.
Speaker 2: Tasman champions Pioneer. Honestly can't believe it. It hasn't really sunk. And yet it was an awesome night in Auckland last night, and so happy that the Auckland FC got to celebrate the Premier's plate win on home soil. But yeah, just can't believe it at all, really, but so stoked it fell this way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very happy for everybody involved. Will unpack it. But obviously, in terms of the nuts and bolts, they were confirmed as premi years on Saturday night when Melbourne City and Adelaide United drew Millall at Amy Park. That meant that Melbourne City, who were the only team who could have caught Auckland f C could not now catch Auckland f C. So just before midnight on Saturday night, the destination of the Premier's plate was confirmed. I asked Steve Corky yesterday actually whether you know how he was watching that game. He said he went to bed at halftime in that game and then he got wake up about an hour label the whole bunch of messages saying we've done it. So I've been talking about like i'd be. I don't know, I don't know what to be. Maybe it's you know, they probably knew they were going to adventure either win it, you know, on Saturday night, or win it on Sunday. And I also asked him, I said, would you have preferred if Melbourne City had won kind of kept the pressure on so that there was a result needed yesterday at go media to sort of confirm it, you know, you do it under your own steam. And he said, no, not a single bit of me. Hope that I wanted us to win it on you know, as early as possible, But yeah, I mean it kind of made yesterday. It was as an old occasion, was that the game actually wasn't a wasn't a classic? Was it?
Speaker 2: No? I was worried that since they won it going into that head of that game, that maybe they would start a second team and rest some of their good players. And I was worried about that fat because I knew that it was there or thereabouts a sell out. I think they missed by about five hundred seats and that would have been down to the weather. But I was worried that maybe they wouldn't go all in because they didn't necessarily need a win. However, I was hoping that wouldn't be the case, and I don't think that was at all. I wanted them to go for it for the fans, for themselves, you know, and maybe it did take a little bit of weight off their shoulders that they didn't need a result, they could play with a bit of freedom, and I think they did, and I think on another day they would have won that game four or five nil, but obviously just couldn't break that deadlock for a while.
Speaker 1: They absolutely dominated, You're right, twenty eight shots to four. Twenty eight shots they had. I can't I can't remember Auckland f C having that many opportunities in a game. And I felt for Max Mautter because a lot of them fell to him, and you know he was only just off target with a couple of headers. Oli Saul came up with a couple of big saves. On another night, Max Mutter probably has two or three goals even by halftime. But you always thought they were going to find a way to score. I just didn't think it would be Marley friends whoa scored direct from a corner.
Speaker 2: No, I completely agree Piney. I have said this before on the podcast. I'm still not sure whether I rate him in the starting lineup or not. I feel like there's possibly some other personnel that could be in there over him. And I didn't actually think he played that impressively up until that goal. But you know, you win games in big moments, and he certainly got up for that one. I was interested as well in the first half and in that second half why he was taking the corners over the likes of Jake Brimmer and Francis Devrees who have been so good from those spots. So, I mean he pulled it off the end there. But yeah, it was interesting.
Speaker 1: Because at one point Francis went across to the other to that side because they like to have the n swinging corners right, so so Frannie goes over and takes them from the right wing to swing it him with his left and they use a right foot on the left to swing him with their right foot. And one stage Frannie went across to take one on the other side and he bent it behind it went out for a goal kick. So yeah, the set piece delivery was probably left a little bit to be desired until Marley Franz while swung that win in. Just as I was about to do an in deb with him on Sky last night, Jake Brimmer came up behind me and said, make sure you tell him that nobody here thinks that he meant to do it.
Speaker 2: I mean, does anyone mean to do that taking a corner if you can shoot every time from there, like, good on you. But I don't think it's on purpose. But what a way to win a game. I think. One of the reporters in the press conference afterwards asked Steve Coriker if he's ever seen a game win with an Olympic a goal like that, but Steve Kraker said no, so yeah, it was unrealmed.
Speaker 1: Well, I saw some reports last night. I saw someone posted that it was the first ever goal direct from a corner in the A League. I don't. I mean, that seems that can't. I know, there's been a few in the women's A League. Maybe this season, yeah it did say the first ever. Well I can't believe that. I mean, it's gone twenty years. Surely somebody's scored direct from a corner. Maybe it was this season, maybe it was this season. Anyway, the fact remains one Nell. You're right, he's just trying to put it into a dangerous area and it just and Oli Saard, who otherwise had a really good game, just misjudged it. Nobody at the back post, they seem to have modern day tactics, seems to have dispensed with the defender at the back post. There was always somebody there in my day, BONDI don't know about you. There's always somebody at the back post for you know, for occasions just like that. But you know, well, it.
Speaker 2: Looked like I think it was Max Mutter defending that Perth Glory player that he may have given him a bit of a shove, and you could see Perth were kind of arguing that fact. And I was a little bit worried that maybe it would go to var but obviously not meant to be. I thought the officiating was quite good last night. A Perth were putting in some big tackles, but there were moments that the refs just let it play.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the wet always a little bit. There's always a bit of trepidation around some of the challenges flying and the last thing anybody wanted was an injury, especially I mean Auckland f C Perth seasons just about over, but an Auckland FC player, you know, suffering about injury. Nanda Pinneker went down near the end and he let out a heck of a yell as he went down, and I thought, man, what's he done. Luckily got back to his feet and he was okay. But you know, imagine getting all the way through the season to the final couple of games and then getting an injury that ruled out of the finals.
Speaker 2: Well that's why I thought maybe Steve would rest players. You know, you definitely don't want the likes of Hiroki or ap and Goal or anyone like that getting injured ahead of the finals playoffs, but insane that you can't live in fear. And I thought it was really interesting. I guess I'm looking forward here. But when Coraker said in the press conference that he's not planning on resting many players next week in their final game against Western United, just simply because that would mean three weeks in between you know, last night's game and then their first semi final, because they obviously have to buy when the elimination finals happening. So I thought that was interesting, you know, maybe he would I would probably as a coach not want any of my key players getting injured. But at the same time, you don't want to lose that momentum that they've built up. What now, fourteen games unbeaten.
Speaker 1: I reckon if you ask any of the players they want to play as well. I know it's not their decision, but yeah, I think they'd rather say, how we're going to rest you next week and then we'll get you ready for the first leg of the semi Yeah, you're right, three weeks, no game for three weeks. There's nobody who's in yellow card danger. At this stage of the season. You need eight yellow cards. If someone's on seven and they pick up one next week, they would miss the first week of the finals. But the most is Louis vus Strata, who last night picked up his sixth the yellow cards, so even if he got one next week, that wouldn't rule him out and only have seven and then they clear the slate for the finals. Yeah, I think momentum is important, and you know it's that fourteen games now unbeaten. The last thing you want to do is to have that streak broken as your head into the finals.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, exactly right, that's what Steve said, and he doesn't want to give them too much rest and saying that, I think we will see some personnel change. You know, we saw the likes of Liam Gillian get on finally towards the end, finally got some minutes after what was it back in January, I think we discussed Piney, so Gillian was back. So maybe someone like him will get a start or at least come on at halftime, and we might see a little bit more movement, you know, in the back line or some of those wider squad players that haven't featured really much at all. So I hope that's the case. You know, maybe we might see Michael vaut in between the sticks or at least for a half. I think that's kind of what you want to do and yet give some of the other boys an opportunity while also hoping to keep momentum because if they win it next week, you know, just increases that gap at the top of the table and makes all the other teams a little bit more scared.
Speaker 1: I guess. So what it does do as well the break is it gives him a chance to get Felipe guy gos Right. He's the only real first teamer who's got an injury cloud hanging over him. Didn't make the squad last night and was never going to by the sounds of it, was really just on light duties during the week. I doubt they'll risk him against Western United. Why would they. He's a guy who they can recover surely well.
Speaker 2: Coraker said last night that he's looking to actually be back for that game. Whether he'll start or not, I'm not sure. Maybe he'll travel to see how he goes. The other one Coraraker said who has been we're not mentioned at all basically all season is Scott Galloway, who's had a season long injury. But even Coraker said it's looking like he'll be back towards the end of the finals playoffs. So that's another name we haven't heard of.
Speaker 1: It a while yeah, he hasn't hasn't had much go as way at all. I'd be lucky if he's had, you know, five or six appearances. I think just having a check now four four appearances off the bench for Scott Galloway. So yeah, he's really played quite a minor role this season. But every coach would say to you, I want a fully fit squad to choose from at the business end of the season. So by the sounds of it, that's what Steve Coreck is going to get. What about the occasion, Ah, you know, once the game was over and the final whistle, wean just the elation in the crowd, but also down on the field. A lot of these guys. Tommy Smith said afterwards, I've never won a club trophy. Louis Vastrata said during the week he's never won a club trophy. This is the first time many of those players have ever lifted a piece of silverware, and it was just so obvious how much it meant to them and everybody associated with the club.
Speaker 2: It was such I Piney, you and I were down there on the pitch after the game, and yeah, you're right, you could just see how much it meant to the players, and I love how they did a walk around the fans, who you know, so impressed with the twenty five thousand that came out in like the pouring rain basically, and the ones that lingered around afterwards for signatures would have been sitting there and standing there in damp clothes. But I loved how the players walked around the pitch afterwards and left that kind of trophy lift to the porch right at the end, which they normally do. Yeah, it was such an occasion. And one player I was particularly really happy for. I thought it was really sweet watching his emotion and celebrations was Alex Paulson. I think he's, you know, had it real tough. Probably he didn't expect to be here at Auckland f C. Having to go up against his old club was probably naturally really hard for him, and he just looked so over the moon and so relieved. And yeah, it was celebrating with Marley Frantz a lots. They must be really good friends.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think they're boys, those two in the young person's vernacular. Yeah, I think they're boys. Yeah. I saw a lot of photos actually of Alex Paulson and Marley Francois celebrating together.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Look, I must admit when Alex Paulson signed for Auckland FC, I was not a fan of it. I thought, how is this going to improve him? He's already the best goalkeeper in the A League. This was when he was at Wellington Phoenix. He signed for Bournemouth. He's comeback. You did that great article last week with all the numbers about the kilometers he traveled between Wellington and Auckland and he went all the way to the other side the world and came back. And I thought, he's been there, done that. How can another season improve him as a goalkeeper? I was wrong. Another season has improved him. He is a better goalkeeper now than he was a year ago.
Speaker 2: So much better for him and I think this one, you know, makes it so much more worth it for him. Maybe he won't look back on this season as you know, in regret or disappointed. Now he will be able to look back on it and you know, have a title to his name, and he's played such a massive role in this club as well. You know they've conceded the most the least goals rather twenty three. I think it is across the season which makes him the best the best team defensively. So I think the streak was was ten games without conceding at all. So yeah, it's he's done so well. And you know, Steve Croker's said this, he won't be here next season and that's okay, he's ready to move on. But yeah, good on him. I was just so happy for him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so was I.
Speaker 1: So was I, And you're right it would have been a challenging time for him. Once he got through the Derby's, the first couple of them home and away, I think it was it was going to be okay after that. But yeah, I think he's He's carried himself with a lot of dignity and all he can do is play for the team he plays for. And I know those guys who play in front of him just absolutely love having Alex Paulson behind them, you know, the like Sernando Dan Hall, even more experienced guys like Sakai Investrata. You know, they wouldn't have known Alex Paulson from a from a bowl of soup when they arrived. You know, I wouldn't know who he was. They know who he is now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I think whatever team he goes to. Will be lucky to have him, and you know whatever that is he needs to be playing. I understand it's the Scottish club hips, which I keep getting mixed up with the boys' school in Lower.
Speaker 1: Hut different hips. He's not going back to school, which is probably a good thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, so he'll be lucky to go off there. But hopefully he turns up for these playoffs, which I have no doubt he will.
Speaker 1: He will indeed. Yeah, it was good. It was a cool occasion, just the vibe of it, watching the plate being lifted, watching all of the players and their partners come down. A lot of their kids. Rocky Sarkis kids were out there, so were Tommy Smith's. Jake Brimmer was really emotional afterwards when we interviewed him. His dad has not been well diagnosed with motor neuron disease. He's got his two daughters back in Melbourne. Who you know, he had to leave there to come and play for Auckland FC. He's a pretty tough character, Jake Brimmer. But yeah, just tearing up a little bit at the end, which I thought was another demonstration of just what this club has quickly come to mean to guys who have been around for a long time. Hiroki Sarko, he's been to three World Cups. He looked like an eighteen year old out there last night lifting that plate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was so happy. I just think that the personnel in this group have been really like, you know, all the characters, they've been such great people. And that's just from my perspective interviewing them. I can't speak for the opposition that have come up against them and anything like that, but just the way we've seen and discussed Piney, them interacting with fans and you know, interacting with us as media, I think they've all been really really good people and it shows on the field, you know. So I don't know who's to think for that, whether that's the likes of Nick Becker CEO or Steve Coriker, but yeah, they've all got great personalities. But I did just get off the phone with Nick Becker who said the celebrations continued deep into the night.
Speaker 1: I bet they did. Where do you go on a Sunday night?
Speaker 2: Though Danny Dolan's Pinny of course, from very familiar with that place. It's basically the only place open on a Sunday night, But it's great. It's a great Sunday night if you go there. And I will quote Nick Becker, he said, we all got Danny Doland. He said all roads led to Danny Dolan's. After the game, basically the players all went up to the Black Night Lounge on the we stand at GO Media Stadium, where they all kind of celebrated with family and staff and friends. And then I believe a group of staff and coaches went to Andy Mo which is a really lovely restaurant on Jurvoice Road in Herne Bay, which is owned by Bill Foley's Hospitality Group. So they went there. Well, the players went to Young People's Bars. I'm not sure exactly where that was, and then I think all the staff and players ended up meeting maybe at Danny Dawance.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: I did hear Nick Becker on the air with Mike Hosking this morning at around seven fifteen, and he basically admitted that on a scale of one to ten on the Dusty Scale, he was an eight. He might have been been quite kind to himself. He kept on. He was wheezing during the interview, but I mean it would have been worth it. I see b fronted up on TV this morning as well. See that's it. You have a lot of respect for people. Dan Hall was on TV too well.
Speaker 2: I think I understand Dan Hall was picked possibly to go on TV not only because he's a great personality and speaks well to the media, but he actually doesn't drink, so that's probably why he was picked for the media because his celebrations maybe didn't continue on as much as others.
Speaker 1: All Right, good to know, Good to know, or a couple of other things about Auckland FC. So they play Western United away this coming weekend and when would take them to fifty six points for the season. I did a quick check and that's more than the Minor Premier has got in any of the last five seedeasons, so it would be an another landmark for them. Then, of course they have a bye in the first weekend of the finals, as the teams that finish three, four, five and six play one another in a knockout in two knockout matches, then home and away semis. Now we know that the home semi will be on Saturday, the twenty fourth of May. That has been confirmed that the home semi will be Saturday, the twenty fourth of May. Kickoff time is yet to be confirmed, unlikely to be five o'clock. I think it's more likely for the Australian audience that it will be a seven o'clock or seven thirty kickoff. But definitely the twenty fourth of May. If they make it through that they're into the Grand Final. If they make the Grand Final by virtual of finishing top, they will host the Grand Final. And there's a bit of conjecture still around about where that final would be. I was having conversations with people over the weekend about this. Some people are adamant that it will be played at Eden Park, Others are equally adamant that it will be played at go Media Stadium. Now, just before you and I have a chat about this, I had Nick Becker on the radio yesterday and asked him, you know, would he like to have it at go Media or will it be at go Media the Grand Final if Auckland were to make it, I certainly hope.
Speaker 3: So I don't actually get the final call on it. I've given my input and a legally great at listening and taking our point of view on board. Ultimately it's their call. They managed the whole final series. I'd be fingers cross and I'd certainly hope to see it at Gometa. It's been our home ground all season. That's where we'll play our semi final, and definitely the players and in my seniens of all the fans want to be there as well.
Speaker 1: So from the club's point of view, unsurprisingly they want it there. Apl who run the league take the ticket revenue. Therefore they want are going to want to have it at the biggest capacity ground possible. I think it would be an enormous shame if they played it at Eden Park.
Speaker 2: I don't think it would be an enormous shame. I think it would be a shame given well, they've hosted at Mount smart Or season long and the fans just, you know, continuously, you know, great numbers. But I just have a feeling it's going to go to Eden Park, and I don't think that will be all that bad. I just hope that it sells out. It would be embarrassing if they move it there and it doesn't sell out.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I get the and people have said, Okay, well, why wouldn't you want to open it up to forty five thousand people. I get that, But watching a game at Eden Park of any football code, rugby, football, rugby league. You're so far back, you know. The shape of the ground for a start is wrong for you know, for a game of sport on a rectangular field. The other thing that comes into this, Eden Park is already booked on the Saturday night of King's Birthday, the Blues have a Super Rugby game there, so that would mean that the Grand Final would have to be played on the Sunday. That's not without precedent, that could happen, but that's another little little layer of it in there. And the other thing is last year the Central Coast Mariners hosted the Grand Final and Gosford only holds I think about twenty two to twenty three thousand less than go Media. The other part about that, though, of course, is that Gosford that's the only place they could have had it in Gosford. Otherwise they would have had to go down to Sydney, and there's no way the Mariners would have agreed, you know, and thank APO would have forced it upon them to go down to Sydney for that game. It's ninety minutes away. So yeah, it's still to be decided. I really hope it's at go Media that I get what you're saying, Bonnie, I understand, and I think, you know, maybe I'm almost certain they would sell it out if they held it at Eden Park. I just feel like it would be I don't know, like I said, yeah, maybe not a great shame. I would much prefer it to be at GO Media.
Speaker 2: I'd love to hear from the players. You know, as a player, there's nothing more that you want to play at the biggest stadium possible. You know, you can imagine players in England or any football as any footballers dream to play it at Wembley. So you want to play at the biggest stadium. And maybe that's the case for a lot of these players to you know, want to take that next step and sell out Eden Park. But at the same time, you don't want to. You don't want to change what ain't broke. You know, they've done so well, they've been so successful at GO Media, and that's exactly why Nick Becker will be pushing to stay at Go Media, obviously for the fans, but probably more so to not not change routine and not change what's been so successful.
Speaker 1: Indeed, just to look at who they might play in the playoffs, because there's still a real battle on for finishing second, which is obviously gives you the advantage of missing the first week and then you know into the home and away semi final situation. At the moment, Melbourne City are second on forty five, Western United have forty four, Western Sydney have forty three and Melbourne Victory have forty two, so any of those four teams could still finish second. So we're not going to know until after Sunday's game between Melbourne Victory and Newcastle, the final game of the A League regular season, what the makeup of the top sixer. So there's probably not a lot of point in us kicking around possibilities because you know we're just going to get down a rabbit hole there. The other one is sixth place, the battle for six. Adelaide are currently sixth with thirty eight points, but they're all done. They've got the buy in the last week. Sidney FC are on thirty seven, so if Sydney FC can avoid defeat against Melbourne City on the weekend, they will take sixth place. But Melbourne City will want to beat SYDNEYFC because that would ensure that they finished second on the table, so Adelaide United will be massive Melbourne City fans on the weekend. So yeah, that's all to come. And yeah, by the time we speak on the podcast next Monday, we will know the makeup of the top six and therefore the first round of the playoffs. Well, after all the excitement of last night four hours previously, such a stark contrast to go media at sun Corpse Stadium, the Wellington Phoenix played Brisbane Raw absolutely abysmal pitch. I've got no idea how they're allowed to play on that by the sounds of it. It's getting relayed this week because they've got NRL Souper around there this coming weekend. But the pitch was terrible. The game was a really tough watch and I don't really want to spend too much time talking about this to be honest. Brisbane had thirty shots to Wellington six. This is the Brisbane Raw team who have been one of the worst teams in the league this season. You know, had played midweek Wellington Phoenix with nothing to lose. Really, they weren't going to make the top six. They had an opportunity to get out of the bottom four, which means they spare themselves the trip to Darwin for the Australia Cup playoffs in May. They were just I just thought they were so passive. The only bright spot was when Luke brook Smith and Nathan Walker came on. They added a bit of impetus. Brisbane got a goal first win at home for Brisbane all season and the first clean sheet that their goalkeeper Matt Acton had kept for four or five years. I just it was just, I mean, the sooner this Wellington Phoenix season finishes, the better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can have said it better, Piney. I'm firstly really happy for Brisbane. It sounded like a great game for them, but just an absolute yeah. Quite embarrassing really that we're here. You know, when thinking back twelve months ago, Piney, when you and I were exchanging messages about you know, them heading into the semi final and who they're going to play and will this you know, grand Final be hosted in Wellington or where will it be? Like it's just a stark contrast and it's a real shame that I've gone from where they were to where they are now. You have to put the question there. You know, was re signing chief Ye as coach last week a good idea.
Speaker 1: Well, whether or it was or not, I guess we will find out. I know that there was a huge amount of displeasure on Saturday after that game online from Phoenix fans some of the stuff I read, and I tend to stay away from online fan reaction, but I just wanted to sort of test the water really to see what people were thinking. And you know, I think John Carlo and Taliana, you know, I do like the idea that you don't just throw a guy out after one bad season if he's had a very good season the previous season, a year ago, Bonnie top of the Pops, John Calo, Ataliana, you know, untouchable pretty much and a candidate for Coach of the season. But twelve months on, you know, things have moved on, and so now I think, you know, he has to probably show us pretty early on next season that that things are on and up with trajectory, because you know, that game on Saturday was in a pretty crowded field, was one of the worst performances of the Phoenix season.
Speaker 2: And that's the thing, you know, it's this time and the time of the year where they should be rallying. Yes, it is hard to pick yourselves back up when you look at your your little big brother up up north kind of doing so well. But you know, they've had a disastrous season and they should be rallying. They've got nothing to lose, like, there's there's no reasons they can they shouldn't really be allowed to just kind of put their heads down. It's not a great attitude. And you do wonder if maybe there's a bit of discontent to a bit of unhappiness in the camp, and you know, potentially players upset with the fact chief he is staying on. I'm not sure that's full kind of speculation, but you know, you can just tell with the players that they don't seem very happy to be there, and it is hard. It is hard for them to you know, pick themselves back up after the season I've had. But they also this is their job, this is their career. They paid for it, they paid full time, good money a lot of them as well, and they owe it to the fans. You know, if I'm not happy with my job in a normal workplays, i can't come in and just be angry and not perform the whole time. So yeah, it is very interesting.
Speaker 1: Yep, it's a very interesting dynamic. They finish their season this coming Friday against Perth Glory who will stay over here. Actually just on Perth Glory, I thought they were pretty decent last night for Perry to that game. I think they'll back themselves to go down to Wellington and get a win down there, you know, to finish their very very disappointing season as well. So yeah, but that game will spell the end of the Phoenix this season. Then they've got to play in the Australia Cup playoffs in Darwin in the middle of May. By virtual finishing in the bottom four. We won't know where they finished until after this coming weekend or who they'll play, And then I guess it's a look ahead to next season and there's a bit of work to do in terms of the squad. Just quickly, there are seventeen players already signed for next season. Corbyn Piper has reported they also signed an extension, so that's eighteen. Cost of barbarusis we don't know if he's staying or you know, a year ago be like why would I leave now? From what I'm hearing, he's just not entirely sure about staying. But if he does, that's nineteen Giraldi is if they can convince him to stay, which I hope they do, will be twenty. So there's very little room for freshening the squad. Only one import spot would be available and only a couple of other spots.
Speaker 2: That's where they've really themselves down this season with the imports and the signings. I feel like there's going to need to be some hard conversations had and potentially some mutual terminations of contracts and things like that, because they need to have some good signings if they're wanting to keep up with other teams next season. You know, you compare it to Herwaukland have signed and they've absolutely nailed it. And yes, you don't get it right every season, but when you've got a group of young players who aren't up to the standard as the young local players last season, you know you've got to bring in some bigger, bigger names, bigger talent. So yeah, what I would like is this week when Perth Glory come over for Olie Sale, just to have a little chat with Chiefy about him possibly making the move back.
Speaker 1: I hadn't even thought of that. I think if i'm Oli Saler, I'm probably staying put because I know Perth have been very bullish about what they're going to do next season. We know they're getting Scott Wotton and Sam Sutton for starters. You know, those still be able to have a chat with their new boss.
Speaker 2: At some state is differently happening.
Speaker 1: Well, it hasn't been announced, Bonnie, but it's the worst kept secret in Wellington football that they are both going to Perth glory. Yeah, so I think we can safely assume that is the case. So I just you can't have your imports sitting on the bench. You know, it's a very obvious statement, I know, but they went to you know, they with Josh Olaway emy they decided to make the change and put Albi Kelly Heald in goal. The only reason they didn't stick with it was because he got injured. You cannot have an import on the bench, you know. It's they have to find a way either of upskilling Josh alawaymy so he is the number one or or you're right extricating themselves from the contract and freeing up the spot. Nagasawa probably the same. You know, hell of a nice guy, good footballer, but you know you can't be sitting on the bench. If here import Ahiga maybe has got a bit more about him. But the filter I always used with imports, and ironically enough Wellington have normally got them right. They've had some brilliant imports over the years, some really good overseas players. But the filter I always uses, which would they make most other A League teams? And Scott Wooden probably would the others. I'm not so sure.
Speaker 2: And didn't you say last night to me Pinneer that chief he used to be in charge of the imports.
Speaker 1: That was his recruitment was recruitment was a sweet spot. So you have to say, look, he's a good recruiter. He found Oscars Nevada, he found bosh at R Krajev. None of us had heard of those guys, and look at what they did for Wellington, brilliantly brilliant acquisitions. So he's just he's just unfortunately that they the recruitment hasn't hasn't hit the mark with the imports. And as you say, as soon as you compare it to Walklands, Giziomo, mai Hiroki Sakai, Louis Vastrata, Felipe, Guy Goss and Nada Moreno pretty much five home runs right there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean all we've got a hope for Pioneers. They just right off this season. They you know, do something that to not lose, you know, keep the fans on their side, see out, you know, play in this Australia Cup or whatever it is, and you know, give the young guys a run and then chief year, I think we'll have a bit of a wake up call. He'll know that this season has been extremely poor. He'll know he's not done well with the recruitment and you know he's he's probably learned a lot from Aukland NEFC and maybe they give him a bit more drive for next season.
Speaker 1: We can only we can only hope. Let's see how it plays out. Just finishing today with the Wellington Phoenix Women, who have finished their season in ninth place on twenty four points, we know there's a new coach coming in Paul Temple will be leaving after a couple of seasons in charge, not able to get the team into the top six. We also know that Annale Longo will be leaving the club. She announced her retirement from club football after the last last game at Pottdoor Park. Rather than relitigate too much of the women's team. I think we've done it pretty much over the last couple of months as far as you know, the lost opportunities and inability to score goals and went home games and that sort of thing. Let's finish on a high with our Wellington Phoenix Women's Awards, shall we. Now you've come up with three that you want us to or you wanted me to pick a winner. Four you've obviously done the same. The first one is MVP. I'll go first, here my MVP. It won't surprise you. Bonnie as Annalie Longo, I think, yeah, I know, it's such a surprise. I've been a huge fan of her this season. I think she's been the driving force behind the side, the shining star in their team. So she's my MVP.
Speaker 2: Nice. It was tough for me to pick between her, but I've actually gone with Carolyn Bidlao. I've been a big fan of hers and goal in between the in between the sticks. I think, yeah, she kept the Phoenix in it a lot, especially at the start of the season and also in the second half the season when they were losing narrowly. So yeah, I really really like her.
Speaker 1: Okay, player to keep is your next one? You go first on.
Speaker 2: This, also saying Carolyn vill Lao. I'm not sure what her contract status is, but I'd really like to see her stay. I think she was that shining light other than Analie Longo this season, and yeah, she seems to enjoy it there. I hope maybe with a new coach coming in and a better season, they'll be more competitive.
Speaker 1: I had her written down as well, but I've gone with Maya McCutcheon, who I think was one of the better players going aroun fund the A League women's competition. Played every game, sat at the base of the midfield, was versatile enough to also play in defense if needed. Maybe didn't quite contribute as much an attack as we hope that she is a defensive midfielder, so yeamya McCutchen would be the one who I'd be looking keeping. But yeah, val, if they can keep Carolyn, I allow, I'd be happy with that as well. And rookie or breakthrough player of the season. I have gone with Lara Wall for this. Yeah, out of out of basically amateur football in christ Church. You know she she was still held down her job when she was up here structural engineer, I think she was or something similar. So yeah, but I thought she was excellent, you know, came into that left back spot and really played well, didn't look out of place. Was being talked about a Football Fern's conversation. So Lara wall is my rookie or breakthrough? Who did you have?
Speaker 2: That's a good one, pioneer. I was gonna I kind of want to change to her. I thought she was. She was awesome. Can kind of compare her to a Mickey Fosser or a Francis Devrezo have been so good domestically for so long, And yeah, she came into the team, did very well. But I actually had written down Manaia elliott I thought she's been in this setup for a wee while and on the Football Ferns radar. But I feel like she's grown up a little bit this season, a little bit wiser. She's back in that that Football Ferns mix, and I think, yeah, the next few seasons, I feel like she's she's going to be a star. Maybe if I were her, I'd be looking towards other opportunities overseas.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: I agree that she has had another or has had a good season and is as well worthy of your vote.
Speaker 3: There.
Speaker 1: The official Wellington Phoenix Awards night actually is next Tuesday, so we'll find out who wins the official awards for both the men and the women. Maybe next Monday on the pod we can have our men's award winners. Whether we go with MVP player to keep Rooky will breakthrough or some other award categories I guess remains to be seen. This time next week we'll also know the makeup of the top six from the A League men's competition. So I think that's us done and dusted for today.
Speaker 3: Is it? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think so. Piney, bring it on a bring on the finals, Bring.
Speaker 1: On the finals. We'll see you next Monday.
Speaker 3: This is football fever.