Speaker 1: Kiota.
Speaker 2: I'm Chelsea Daniels and this is the Front Page, a daily podcast presented by the.
Speaker 1: New Zealand Herald.
Speaker 2: It'll come as no surprise to anyone when I tell you that meth is a serious problem in New Zealand. Wastewater testing results show the consumption of the drug in New Zealand more than doubled in the second half of twenty twenty four to the.
Speaker 1: Highest levels ever recorded.
Speaker 2: At the same time, the New Zealand Drug Trend Survey twenty twenty four showed the average price of a gram of meth declined from five hundred and sixty three dollars in twenty seventeen eighteen to three hundred and sixty dollars last year. Meanwhile, wastewater testing in Oportiki shows meThe use there has halved after police raids on an alleged mungol mob drug ring. Today Day on the Front Page, Harold investigative reporter Jared Savage is with us to run through the state of myth in our country. Jared, Look, it comes as no surprise when we say myth is popular in New Zealand, but just how prevalent is it?
Speaker 3: It's ticking in the number one drug of choice in New Zealand. It has been for quite some time, about the past twenty twenty five years or so, but you know, we've really seen a big surge in the consumption of myth late last year. So the police and ESR scientists sort of worked together with wastewater testing, so it gives sort of it's not the only way of working out how much myth has been consumed, but it is an objective scientific measure by which you can sort of see whether the trend is going up or down. And so for about the past six years they've been running this program and sort of use just fluctuated sort of between ten to twenty kilos per week, and there were some big sort of factors in the ten kilo at the lower limit that was when New Zealand was a complete lockdown during early twenty twenty, and then the peak of twenty kilos it was about a year later when the world had opened up a little bit there was a bit more travel and freight coming back and forth. But of course Auckland was in lockdown at that point and there was a lot of people similarly using meth during that time, and it peaked at about twenty kilos, so between ten and twenty kilos over the past sort of six years and normally in the middle of that, sort of hovering around the sort of the fifteen kilo mark, and that's where it was in June last year, just over fifteen kilos, and then from July to December last year, the wastewater testing showed a huge increase, so going from fifteen kilos each week to thirty kilos each week for the second half of last year, and it peaked in October with about thirty nine nearly forty kilos of myth being consumed each and every week last year. So you know, it's doubled, it's doubled from the peak, and it's doubled from what has sort of historically been this sort of traditional midpoint that we've seen. And it's it's quite an alarming discovery that we've found through the wastewater data.
Speaker 1: What can we put this down to?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it's hard to sort of explain exactly why why people are consuming more, and there are lots of reasons that people would use drugs, but it's really comes out of simple economics. Talking to various researchers and the police experts as well. Essentially, the world is a wash with drugs. There is a huge amount being produced overseas and that has been since to New Zealand an increasingly large amount. So the market here is saturated. It's been flooded with metham betamine and other drugs, but mostly metham betamine, and that has led to more supply equals cheaper prey equals more consumption, and that's pretty much what it boils down to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was surprised to read somewhere. I think I showed the average price of a gram of math declined from about five hundred and sixty odd dollars in twenty eighteen to three hundred and sixty last year, So that's going to have something to do with it.
Speaker 3: A So that's right. So that's the you know, that's that prices come down, and that's those figures come from research. To my massive University professor Chris Wilkins is the lead researcher in New Zealand and has done so for twenty years. And you know they interview anonymously drug users regularly and that's how they update those figures there. So if it's cheaper, you can if you're a user of methanbenaman and it's cheaper. You can therefore use more of it for the you know, and not spend any more money. And so that's the cheaper prices have come from the market being flooded and more myth being used. Chris Wilkins was interviewed with the story and he said all the metrics going in the wrong direction on this, and he described it as a wake up call.
Speaker 2: Well, we already know that cartels overseas have been eyeing up New Zealand for years now. Hey, we've got syndicates based in Southeast Asia and more recently actually the Mexican cartels. Just in November, a Columbia led global operation thwarted the plans of six subs carrying fourteen hundred tons of drugs, one of which was headed to Australia and New Zealand.
Speaker 4: The Columbian Navy says it's intercepted a Narco submarine bound for Australia. Official say it's the third such vessel ceased, indicating a drug smuggling route across the Pacific.
Speaker 5: A coordinated effort in the multinational orient Strategy led to the seizure of over fourteen hundred tons of narcotic substances. Of these, two hundred and twenty five tons of cocaine stood out, which would represent more than five hundred and seventy four million doses on our streets.
Speaker 1: Now that's huge.
Speaker 2: So no cartel would risk the capture of that larger shipment of drugs if it didn't think the risk was worth the reward.
Speaker 1: Hey, well that's right.
Speaker 3: And I mean in New Zealand for a long time, we are a small We're a small market, you know, compared to the rest of the world. But a lot of these organizations see sort of Australia and New Zealand together as sort of a one to a one two stop. So obviously our big brother across the tasmin much bigger market, but also commands quite high prices. So even though the prices have come down in New Zealand, it's still high by comparison internationally. So it's a small market but seen as lucrative. So that is why we're being targeted by Mexican CATAUS Southeast Asian organized crime groups who work candy glove here with sort of organized crime figures here, including sort of the outlaw motorcycle groups you know, in particular sort of you know, the common Cero's and some of those other five x one gangs that have really elevated that they've got true international connections with these groups overseas, and that's elevated the supply and that's led to what we're seeing here with with far greater consumption. Literally the figure is doubling last year.
Speaker 2: Now you mentioned these cartels work hand in hand with local gangs. Here, tell me a little bit about a Portaki.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so a Portoki is a small town in Easter made plenty and last year sort of garnered a few headlines because there was quite a big drug bus down there involving the mongrel mob. And I don't think they would have been working hand in glove with the cartels, but somewhere along the supply chain that that myth had been getting into a poto Key. And like many smaller real towns around around the country, they are sort of disproportionately affected by methan betamine. Their sort of average per capita consumption is often far greater than the national average. So you know, there's some big headlines last year about this this raid, these raids, this COVID investigation called Operation high water in a podoquy, and that led about twenty odd members of the Mong the Barbarians Chapter and their associates being being arrested and charged with various drug dealing and money laundering offenses. Now that's all before the courts and you know, yet to be proven. But what the wastewater shows is that after those raids was a dramatic decrease in methectomy consumption and a podokey. So I think in the month leading up to the raids it was around about one hundred and nineteen grands per week was being consumed in a podige, which is a bear in mind a small town of about five or six thousand people. Following month that dropped down to sixty six grands, so nearly hard So whilst the rest of the country was going up, a podokey went down following the raids, and then the next month that went down again to fifty four grands a week, again while the rest of the country went up. And so you know that indicates that sort of strong and fours does have an impact in terms of in terms of consumption because obviously they're cutting off the supply or the major supply into the town because members of the Munger Mob and at the same time, the police are also kind of being that. They run a program called the Revilliance to Organize Crime and Community. So that's it's called ROCK ROCC and that's where like dedicated police stuff sort of work hand in hand with community community leaders and NGOs and EWE to sort of support sort of meth harm production program. So they'll go and do a big raide, you know, and years gone by, you know, the police would that was their job. They would go and do that and sort of walk away to the to the next, to the next operation. In this case, they're working in there with with local families to make sure that you know, they're getting food on the table, getting their kids to school, getting how it preferred into the meth amphetames, sort of education programs and rehab that that kind of work there on the head of the Rock Program. Infected Jock o Keep said it's been about seven hundred and twenty thousand and funding been guarded to sort of keep supporting the work that the local groups, the local community leaders and ewi's are already doing. So, yeah, there is a glimmer of hope out there, and of.
Speaker 1: Course at the borders as well.
Speaker 2: They're ramping up looking for these importations of drugs. And when I think about recent history that there've been some pretty big busts. I'm thinking over the last five six years.
Speaker 3: He oh, absolutely every year there seems to be another record breaking drug bust. I mean I've been reporting on this these issues about fifteen years. Back then, one kilo was quite a quite a big deal. The record back then and for many years was back in two thousand and six was ninety five kilos of methamphetamine coming in from China. That was a huge deal. It was seen as an outlier for about ten years, and then we saw five hundred and one kilos sort of wash up on the beach that famous case Operation Frontier up in Northland. And then from then, I mean now five hundred kilo stezias are almost routine. So certainly one hundred kilos is a routine now and so we're seeing four or five, six hundred. I think the biggest at the border Caesar is about seven hundred and thirteen kilos that was hidden inside maple syrup bottles which had been imported from Canada. Although it's I guess it's suspected that the myth would have been transshipped from Mexico up to Canada and then to New Zealand where it was caught. So we are seeing huge, huge amounts of you know, busts happening every year, I guess, And people might look at that and go, oh, that's great, we're catching more. Well, I think the opposite is true. We're catching these bigger amounts because more is being seent here and that sort of you know, and that has been sort of born out in the wastewater of data that we seeing where we're stopping more than ever at the border, but we are consuming way more than ever, And I guess that shows how saturated the market really is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and criminals can get really tricky in how they try and conceal these drugs as well. I remember once heading to customs and actually seeing the myth that was concealed inside batteries of these golf carts that were being imported from the US.
Speaker 1: I think that was about twenty nineteen.
Speaker 2: So what are some of the strangest ways you've seen meth trying to be concealed?
Speaker 1: I mean, maple syrup's got to be one of them.
Speaker 3: Oh, look, there. You know, there are so many ways to conceal myth or other drugs. Honestly, the mind boggles at how many there have been. It's almost only limited by your imagination. Probably the best concealment I've seen was where myth was mixed in with like a concrete like substance and then poured into an umbrella stand. So they were being imported in the country as umbrella stands, and the organized crime Syndicate it had sent people to New Zealand set up these businesses to import umbrella stands amongst other furniture, and when it got here, they were then breaking up the umbrella stands with you know, drills and hammers and bits and pieces, and then running it through a fairly complicated sort of process to break it back down into myth and then being sold. I think it was about one hundred and eighty kilos or something. It was a big amount, But that's probably the best concealment I've seen. But I mean, of course, another trend that we've seen of later is organized crime groups not even needing to hide or conceal the myth anymore. You know, there's been some quite well documented cases of corruption within the airports and at the port of Auckland, the port of Turnongar, where you know, these prime groups and outlaw motorcycle gangs have insiders working there. Cramped insiders who are you know, are paid to essentially facilitate the smuggling of the drugs straight in. And often the drugs aren't even hidden, they're just sort of boxed up normal cardboard boxers. But if you've got someone in there who can move things around and get it out of the warehouse before it can be checked and so on, they're no one is having a door into the country. And it's often as simple as that for these groups.
Speaker 2: And we often talk about math, but also I see that the cocaine has had an uplift in use in this country. The latest NZED health survey noted there was an increasing availability of cocaine in New Zealand.
Speaker 1: It found an increase in the number of users. Two point four.
Speaker 2: Percent of adults used cocaine in the past year. Historically that figure has been around zero point five percent.
Speaker 1: Of the population. So are we seeing more cocaine get through as well?
Speaker 3: Yes, we are in a big proportional increase, but still small compared to myth but I mean, cocaine has been on the rise here the last few years. I mean, I guess it doesn't have quite the same stigma as myth. That's probably seen as a bit more of a white collar party drug, but sexier perhaps in those circles. And that's the myth is coming through in the same supply pipelines, So the cocaine is coming through the same supply pipelines as meth and beeta means obviously cocaine comes from South America through Mexico, with the same kind of cartels there bringing it in and supplying it here to the outlaw motorcycle gangs and many of whom had the origins in Australia, where cocaine is a much bigger market, so they're kind of bringing in the cocaine and trying to establish the market here. It has grown from a small base in the last few years, and we've definitely seen that more and more. I mean, you know, again HARKing back showing my age here, but HARKing back set of fifteen years ago, cocaine was a very tiny amount and we're now seeing some quite large shipments coming into New Zealand, often rivaling the size of some of the meth some of the meath shipments that we're having though the suspicion is is that a big chunk of those cocaine shipments coming here to New Zealand have then been transshipped to the bigger market in Australia as well. So it's all part of the same organized crime ecosystem that we're seeing with methban pedimen.
Speaker 6: This type of offending is not new globally. We known about it, We've seen it before in New Zealand, we've seen it in this operation and we will see it again. To defeat this, we've got to look at our engagement internationally in challenge and sharing that we're doing with our partners, for example home Land Security Investigations who are looking at the other end of this investigation, to look at both ends of this. The overarching commitment we've got in an ever changing risk environment is this is not just a law enforcement problem. We are reaching out to our industry partners to make sure that they have the tools and the information available to them to also strengthen the supply chain.
Speaker 2: And you've spoken to authorities about this, I mean, what do they say. They must just feel like they're drowning. Do we just have to hope, hope that they're just keeping on top of it all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I think they're definitely. The police and customers at times probably definitely feel like they're the little boy with his finger in the dike holding back the dam. You know, this is a huge problem, and not just a New Zealand, but around the world. Everyone is on the same page that really. Whilst law enforcements still needs to be tackling the high ends, you know, the high end suppliers, and obviously a lot of money can be made from them, so tackling those high end suppliers must continue. But like you know, you take out it, you take out a crime syndicate, well somebody else will replace them and sort of fill that vacuum quite quickly. So I mean everyone's on the same sort of page. Around We need to be tacking the demand for drugs as well, and a lot of that comes back to treating meth using and meth addiction in particular as a health issue, not necessarily locking people up, but sort of referring them into health programs to sort of get the help and the counseling that they need, but also probably far greater education amongst children basically not just teenagers, but children around the harm that can be caused by METAM better mean and particular and really getting into that sort of prevention space, we would need far more sort of resources being put into that. At the moment in comparison, it would be a bit of a drop in the bucket. So yeah, there's no solution to this. And I don't think there's always going to be a demand well drugs and there's always going to be people wanting to make money from supplying them, so keeping that high in enforcement is crucial. But yeah, far more money needs to be sort of directed towards health and education programs, particularly in the smaller rural communities that you know, further further away from the big centers where you might have more sort of drug rehab help available. And it's often the smaller towns that they are the ones getting the hit the hardest.
Speaker 1: Thanks for joining us, Jared Pleasure as always.
Speaker 3: No problem.
Speaker 2: That's it for this episode of the Front Page. You can read more about today's stories and extensive news coverage at enzedherld dot co dot nz. The Front Page is produced by Ethan Sills and Richard Martin, who is also our sound engineer.
Speaker 1: I'm Chelsea Daniels.
Speaker 2: Subscribe to the front page on iHeartRadio or wherever you get your podcasts
Speaker 1: And tune in tomorrow for another look behind the headlines.