Speaker 1: Football Fever with News Talks, enb's Voice of Football, Jason Paine and Bonnie Jensen.
Speaker 2: Yes it is. It seems like a long time since we sat in the Football Fever studio to bring you a Football Fever episode and association with FIFA Plus stream New Zealand Football live and free on FIFA plus dot com. I'm Jason Pine Bonnie Jensen here, So it's been too long, Bonnie, how are you?
Speaker 3: We're back Piney, We're back. I'm so excited. It feels like summer foot is right around the corner.
Speaker 2: Indeed it does. Heaps to get through today. Let's hope for a bumper edition. There's a lot of stuff to cover off. Can we start with summer football in the form of the A League Men's competition starting officially next month now w to September, less than fifty days away from kickoff. Opening weekend, Auckland FC will play their first ever A League Men's game against Brisbane raw Mount Smart at five o'clock on Saturday, October nineteen. The next day it's the Phoenix against Western United Sky Stadium four o'clock, so home games for both sides to start. Then the first derby, which we're really looking forward to Saturday November two at sky Stadium. Two more derbies in Auckland as the season goes on. How are you feeling about Auckland FC in terms of the squad they've put together for their debut season. Are you feeling confident about them hitting the ground with a bit of a bang?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I am.
Speaker 3: I think they've put together a really really strong roster and it's kind of a statement roster in my opinion. They've named a lot of Kiwi's, probably Kiwis that the Phoenix have been trying to get for years, but just potentially the connection to AFC.
Speaker 4: Bournemouth and.
Speaker 3: Auckland being potentially a bit more of a destination. They seem to have pulled a lot of good names in. So yeah, really excited about Yeah, who's on this list?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think it's a good roster, really good roster, and I guess one of the most exciting parts. But also something I want to get your view on is the fact that only one import's been confirmed so far, Hirocki SARKI. So that means there are all import spots left, which is great, and then they can come from anywhere in the world. They can be any type of player. But are we getting a bit close to the start of the season for Steve Carriker to integrate them effectively into his team in time?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think.
Speaker 3: I think definitely it's concerning about the lack of imports in saying that. Obviously the key weis have named have experience overseas, but I'm sure Steve Coricker has a plan and you compare it to someone like the Phoenix though, and they've just got more experience with this type of stuff. So yeah, potentially leaving it cutting it fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I still, as I say, I don't want it to come across as being a bad thing because you know, this often happens. Players you know, need to get clearance from their clubs or from wherever they are, they need to get their work visa, all that sort of thing. Had Terry mcfunn, the director of football, on the radio a couple of weeks ago, and he was he said, look, we're down the track with these guys, we just haven't announced them yet. So at the squad, Auckland FC have got twenty two in the squad. Seven of those are scholarship players though, and still four import spots available and as you say, there's some you know, there's some good key we players there, the likes of Logan Rogerson, Joey Champness, Max Marta, Cam Howison has been a good player for a long time. Tommy Smith. There's a bit of mail around about another center back perhaps coming back to Auckland. Can you tell us anything there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I am hearing Nando might potentially be back. But you know he's left his club. Where is it Poney over in Ireland?
Speaker 2: Yes, slogo rovers they this morning. We're recording this on Monday the second. This morning announced on the website that he was leaving and in the release it said to move to a club closer to home. So I guess that means well, that could be anyway because they're twelve thousand miles away. But yeah, I'm sort of hearing the same things you are.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, yeah, definitely getting strong mail as you say around this. Obviously need to wait for it to be confirmed, but as you said with Terry, he seems to have already made a lot of progress with players that they just haven't announced it yet, so who knows.
Speaker 4: It could be in the coming days.
Speaker 2: Alex Paulson, of course will play for Auckland FC. This has been the subject of a lot of chatter around the place. Obviously, he left Wellington, we all know the story. He left Wellington been excited for Born with Born that have since loaned him back to Auckland f C. They are the parent club, of course of Auckland f C. Or they're in the same ownership group with Bill Foley. The so called Cassera's clause has been relaxed, which previously would have prevented this. Now it's allowed. How are you feeling about this?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm obviously excited in terms of being a fan and getting to watch Auckland this season up close. It's going to be great for the derby. It's going to be great for the team. In terms of him, feel gutted for him not going to lie. I think he was destined for bigger and better things. He's moved on from the A League, so it's a shame he has to come back. Whether he's happy about it or not, I'm not too sure. But in terms of what he will you know, keep and bring back to the A League is really exciting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a name, he's a you know, he's a he was the best keeper in the league last season. And while at the time, I think you and I spoken and I said, look, I thought it was a shame for him that he had this big, you know, this big buzz of signing for Bournemouth. They put all the social media out of a meeting all his teammates and that sort of thing, and being involved in a Premier League club, and then all of a sudden he's back in the A League. Look, I've sort of since changed my view a little bit. I think he should be playing. I would prefer that that was at a higher level than the A League because I think he's kind of he's clocked the A League for me, But I mean to have him playing here is awesome for the Phoenix. They've moved quickly to replace him. Josh Olaway m me, the English Nigerian goalkeeper has turned up. From what I hear Bonnie an absolute unit, an absolute unit of a man that's unreal.
Speaker 4: That's great for the Phoenix.
Speaker 3: I'm you know, they've obviously got big shoes to Phil and Alex Paulson as we know, so yeah, really exciting.
Speaker 2: Apparently, when he took a shirt off in the change room for the first time, people's eyes were popping out of their heads.
Speaker 3: Wow, okay, I just hope he can get up and down off the ground quickly. That those big muscles don't weigh him now well.
Speaker 2: I don't think they will. I don't think they will. As far as the Phoenix are consumed, we'll jump around between the two franchises. It's great to have two to talk about, isn't it. The Phoenix have signed two Japanese players, Kazuki Nagasawa and today the announcement of Hideki a Shiga. Of course, Auckland have their own Japanese player in Hiroki Sakai, so it looks like there'll be a real Japanese influence in the two New Zealand teams. Who knows Auckland might sign one or two more as well. So yet interesting the different markets that you know are turning up. In the A League there have been a few Japanese players, but Wellington had never had one. Now they've got two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm really excited again about this. I just love the way that Japanese players play. I've obviously watched a lot of women's football and I love the way that they play. The Japanese national team I mean, I've also had Japanese imports come to my club East and Suburbs and play and just their football. They're so smart. So I think, yeah, these players in the men's teams will add a lot.
Speaker 2: How good would it be if in the future the Wellington Phoenix and Auckland if C women's team can attract Japanese players, Because you're so right, I just absolutely love watching the Japanese women's team play, and not just the senior side, but the underrage sides. They all seem to be technically brilliant, don't they.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, you're absolutely right, And I think you know, New Zealand is such a destination place. Yes, so as Australia, and there might be a little bit more money over there might be a bit nicer weather, but you know, New Zealand has a lot to offer, and I think that's something Auckland and Wellington are seemingly playing off this year like it's an opportunity for potentially more senior Japanese players. I know Hiroki Sakai for Auckland FC is bringing his family down and that's something they're really excited for. So yeah, I think for the Phoenix and Auckland f C to play off that more in the future will be really promising.
Speaker 2: Good to see also some investment into Aukland f C or further investment Winston Reed, Noahickey, Tim Brown, three former all Whites and three men who have gone on to good things in the in the case of Tim Brown and no Ahicy, big big things in the business world since they've retired. Good to see them joining the Auckland FC ownership group. Did you did you like this news when you heard it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, it was. It was good.
Speaker 3: Some big names there obviously, and I understand, you know, I don't know specifics of the deal and the stake that they've got in the club, but they were just kind of like, sign me up. You know, it's going to be super promising business prospect, I think for for Auckland. So they were, you know, sign me on.
Speaker 2: All right, and okay, well, just before we move on from the from the A League men's what's your prediction, Bondy for these two sides? Are we looking at two top six rosters here?
Speaker 3: I'm nervous about the thing just because they've lost, you know, some of their key players from last season and saying that we were sitting here this time last year saying the same thing that we're not confident about the Phoenix roster, and they proved us all wrong. So yeah, definitely capable. I think Auckland f C without a doubt by the names that they've signed, knowing that they've still got a few more imports to sign, and I just think this derby is going to push them, push each team more and they're going to be super competitive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree with you about the Phoenix because you're right they have lost players. But then you're right if we looked at the at the twenty strong squad or whatever it was at this time last year that the Phoenix had, and you look at the names they've got now, yes, some of them are unknown. In terms of the two Japanese guys and such like bart, I actually think it's a better squad than they had than what we thought it was going to be last year. Whether it turns out to be a better squad once they hit the grass remains to be seen. But you know, you look at as you say, the two Japanese players, a new goalkeeper, and we weren't sure about Alex Paulson at this time last year. We didn't even know if he was going to be the first choice keeper, we thought Jack Duncan might be up. I think paul A Rettrey is a great signing, a guy with really good A League pedigree. And if some of these you know Marko Rohas, let's not forget him, if he can recreate his form, some of these youngsters Gabrielle Sloan Rodriguez, Luke Brooks, Smith and Luke Souper who might get more of a chance this season. And then you're right. You look at Auckland FC and you think, man, that's a very very solid roster. I reckon they'll both be top six.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree absolutely, Pioneer. As I mentioned, I think this derby is going to push them even more. You know, they're gonna go into every game with a little bit more hunger and wanting to get one up over over each other. I think as well, going back to the Phoenix chief, he has another season under his belt now and he'll take so many lessons from last season where they just unexpectedly, unexpectedly performed. So that's another positive positive out of that camp.
Speaker 2: YEP. Seven weeks to go until the new A League Men season gets underway. Can't wait the.
Speaker 5: FF with Finy and Bonnie.
Speaker 2: Let's have a quick look at the Wellington Phoenix Woman because their draw is not yet confirmed for the new season, but the first round will be in the first weekend of November, so two weeks after the men's season starts. Grace Charlie back at the Phoenix. Bonnie, she was what top goalscorer in their first season. What did you make of Grace Jarlay's return.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I had a feeling this might be the case. I did think when I saw the headline to come through that it was a football Ferns forward. It may have been Hannah Wilkinson. I thought maybe Grace Charlie would have kept, you know, having another crack across the ditch. But huge signing for the Knicks. I'm a real fan of Grace's. She can play out wide, in the midfield, or up the top.
Speaker 2: No, none of those, none of them, not the first two. Bonnie. Let's be let's be Let's be deadly serious from the start about this. Grace Jarlay is a center forward. All of this, I can still not comprehend her playing in other positions. Yes she can, of course, She's got of at a pace and is effective in a wide area. But she's a center forward. She should have the number nine on her back.
Speaker 4: She should have the number nine.
Speaker 3: I completely agree, party and I got so frustrated during the World Cup last year. Y Yea kklem Kova the football fans he coachedn't back that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, I completely agree.
Speaker 2: But she is versatile, yeah, I look, and versatility is a great thing. I mean, chief he just going back to the men's team has talked about the two Japanese imports being able to plan about five different positions. So yes, But if you are naming your best eleven from the current sixteen players in the squad at Paul Temple's disposal, I don't know a lot about Olivia Ferguson, the new English striker, but unless she's a similar kind of player to Grace Jarlie, a big, strong number nine, then I'd have Jarlay starting at nine every day of the week. Olivia Ferguson, as I say, one of the new imports, and new goalkeeper too. We lost both goalkeepers from last year, the first choice ones anyway, Riley Foster and Brianna Rewards. In fact, I think their departures were announced on the same day. So when from having two keepers to none Carolina Vilau from Portugal as their new goalkeeper, I thought Brie might stay, but clearly there are things happening behind the scenes. She's off to Sydney FC. I was never really convinced by Riley Foster. I have to say good pedigree obviously, but I was just never really convinced by her as the Phoenix goalkeeper last year. In fact, I thought Brian Edwards was actually a better keeper.
Speaker 4: No, I completely agree, Piney.
Speaker 3: I felt felt sad for Brie that she couldn't get that number one jersey. You obviously felt a sense that maybe because Riley Foster was the import, that they had to kind of give it to her. So yeah, massive to lose bre Edwards from the Phoenix. But in terms of for her, I'm really excited for her because I think Sydney FC is there've always been a top club in this woman's a league, so really really promising for her looking forward to, you know, playing for New Zealand.
Speaker 2: Real shame to see Marisa Vandamer ruled out for the season. We know she suffered the ACL last season when she was away with the Football Ferns actually and then was recovering from that, and I think has she done the same one or the other one? Regardless, she's out for another season. Such a talented player, and what a shame for Marisa vandamer I think you had the chance to chat to it, didn't you. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I caught up with Maria, just absolutely gutted for her. I believe it was the same knee and she was doing it while at physio, while rehabbing the existing aco.
Speaker 4: I mean, what are the chances.
Speaker 3: The irony of all of this is she's a physio herself, so yeah, just just absolutely insane and she's gutted obviously, and that's why she kind of well, they mutually terminated her contract the Phoenix and Marisa because she kind of wanted to not sit you down in Wellington for another season not playing, and she wanted to be up in Auckland with family and friends and working. So she's going to be doing that up in Auckland and rehabbing as she works as a physio.
Speaker 2: But if they've said, haven't they that if she recovers, okay, she's got a contract for next season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and smart by the Phoenix, I mean with the Auckland FC team supposedly coming in. You know, they'll definitely have their eyes on Marisa, and I'm sure Maurice is probably considering that too. Should be silly, not too so. Yeah, the Phoenix keeping that open is really promising.
Speaker 2: A lot of change in the Phoenix women's side from last season. Four of the imports at least are gone. Rightley Foster, Hailey Davidson, Hope Briesland, Marty Anaspeckmyer all gone, Macy Fraser has gone, Grace Wishnishki Kate Taylor, Bri Edwards, and Kellie Brown. I've got a couple of places here. I don't know whether you know anything about whether they're coming back or not. I've written down here Mickey Foster, Isabelle Cox, Mickey Robertson, and Annalie Longo. Do you know for sure whether any of those four are definitely coming back or definitely not coming back?
Speaker 3: So the three Kiwi's Mickey Foster, Mickey Robertson, and Annaliela Ago, I'm not sure on I haven't heard from them, but I would suspect they're not returning if they haven't already resigned.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I just just feel like they've already. The Phoenix have already resigned a lot of players and announced them and why why not Probably the three with the most experienced, So a few questions around that. One Isabel Cox. I have a very good feeling she is not coming back because she's signed for one of the new American teams in the new league under the NWSL or alongside the NWSL and the US and that's already been announced by that club over there. So it's interesting why the Phoenix haven't announced that yet. But yeah, she's over there, I think playing for the same team as Hope Breslin.
Speaker 2: Oh good stuff. Okay, So so in that case, then all five imports from last year gone. We can add in Olivia Ferguson the English striker and Carolina Vilao the Portuguese goalkeepers. There are still some spots up for grabs there as Paul Temple wants to build a squad with a new assistant coach as well. Amy Shephard is his new assistant coach, with Callum Holmes moving into an academy role. I believe with the Wellington Phoenix women set.
Speaker 1: Up football Fever with Jason Vine and Bonnie Jensen.
Speaker 2: Let's move to international football. Two games for the All Whites coming up on Sunday. They play Mexico in California, then the United States in Cincinnati, two teams inside the world's top twenty. We're currently ninety fourth, for what that's worth. But the squad that was named by Darren Baisley, I don't know about you, Bonnie, I think this is the strongest all white squad I've seen for maybe ever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I messaged you party and I was like, what are the talking points?
Speaker 4: And we both said there are nothing.
Speaker 3: Really, there's no real names missing off this list, and you know, just so many good players, and I'm excited for these matchups. They're going to be They're going to be a really good challenge for the All Whites. Looking forward to that kind of twenty twenty six World Cup.
Speaker 2: I think the talking point is that a lot of good players aren't there. You know. I made a list of players who have played recently for New Zealand and are playing at good clubs around the place who aren't there. I've got about twenty players who aren't there, and the only one I can see as injured is Callumm Cowart. But otherwise the twenty one strong squad is yeah, I mean all the Ryan Thomas is the other one, and I don't know what the situation is with his injury or whether he will ever play for New Zealand again. I hope he does. I would love to see him play for New Zealand again. But they're all there, aren't they. The ones playing in the UK, are the ones playing in Europe over in the United States. Darren Baseley's got some thinking to do around naming his best eleven in the squad, hasn't he.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well that's where the other main talking point is going to come from. Who are the eleven taking the pitch? I mean even goalies for a start? You know, do you put in there? I mean you and I would probably I don't want to speak for you, Piney, but we'd probably back Alex Paulson, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had goalkeeper written down as a question to ask you. Olli sale, Max Crocum and Alex Paulson at the Nation's Cup over and over in the Pacific Islands recently. Max Crocum was the number one. Paulson was there, but Max Crocum was the number one. I think all three of them probably have a pretty good case don't they. So with only two games, I wonder how Bays will do it. You know, will he give two guys a game. Will he say, Okay, you're my number one, it's your jersey to lose. Eighteen months ago, Olie Sale was the rusted on number one in the All Whites.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's actually crazy.
Speaker 3: And there's so much depth in that goalkeeper role, which is really really promising. I feel like something in the past potentially we haven't had as much depth again this whole roster. There's so much depth again, really really promising heading into that World Cup cycle in two years time. But yeah, I'm backing Alex Paulson, especially after the Olympics that he just had. I know that's under twenty threes, but he stood out.
Speaker 2: Even in midfield, Joe Bell, Matthew Garbett, Ben Old, Marco Staminitch, Alex Rufer, who you know has has had a very very good last eighteen months or so. You know, how's he gonna And then you get up front. You know, Chris Wood obviously plays. He's probably one of the only ones who is guaranteed him and probably Libby Cacaccio, I would say, would be the two who are absolutely guaranteed a spot in the best eleven. But you know you've got the likes of Eli just Ben Wayne knocking on the door. Cost of barbarusis we know what a good season he had. You know, it's everywhere you look in this team there are good quality players playing, you know, at excellent clubs and getting lots of minutes. So yeah, it's an exciting time and I think, I mean, what do you want to see out of these two games? Normally when we play teams in the top twenty, we're like, okay, let's let's just try and make sure that we don't in the past anyway. Let's make sure that this isn't in any way a cricket score. These players, I'm sure go out there, you know, believing they can win these games.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, And I think just talking about that roster, Piney, our expectations are now so high of the capabilities of this side, and they should be. I think, you know, we've Bays has talked for so long about how he's got so many he's got such a big pool now of players that are available that he can pick from. And again I'm going to speak of the World Cup, but needs to be becoming more competitive and we need to be able to compete with these teams. So my expectations are high for them. I would like to see them, you know, if they don't get up on the result, at least they're competing and they've got a share of position or shots on goals or things like that.
Speaker 2: Ironically enough, the path of the win next World Cup is easier than it's ever been with the direct entry for Oceania. You know, you look at the squad that we've just been talking about and you're back that team and to continental playoff against someone like Costa Rica that probably in all likelihood won't need to be to be undertaken because with an expanded World Cup and direct entry for Oceania, all New Zealand have to do and I don't want to put the carp before the horse, but all they have to do is win the Oceania World Cup qualifiers and they're there so that starts next month as well. They play Tahiti in Vanahatu, then then Vana Watu in Hamilton and then one of the Round one qualifiers in Auckland. That's group play the top two from that group and the top two from the other group. Figi, Solomon's p ANDNG and New Caledonia go to the Semis and then a final. The Semis in the final are in New Zealand in March, so you know home conditions. So yeah, this could well be a team that that you know, fairly comfortably qualifies for the World Cup. And then they've got a couple of years or a year and a half to make sure that once they get there, that they are competitive, not just making a World Cup but being competitive at a World Cup.
Speaker 5: Good golf fevers talk.
Speaker 2: Can we get talk a bit about the football Ferns at the Olympic Games. Losses to Canada to one, Columbia two nil, France two to one. On the face of things, those results don't look too bad. What did you make of the football Ferns performances in Paris?
Speaker 4: I was impressed.
Speaker 3: I think, yes, the results speak for themselves, really really good, not really good, but promising results against three very very top teams and saying that I thought they played some good football by their standards, by the football fern standards. Yes, they really lacked position, they really lacked shots on goals, but I found it an improvement. And this was me kind of reaching for positives. I was confused afterwards when you know, most of the players posted saying really disappointed with how the tournament went. So that was confusing again considering what we know from the Ferns in the past and how this seemed like an improvement. So I don't know, something's just the mood doesn't feel right in that camp.
Speaker 2: Don't you think though, that that might be that that now there is a shifting of the mindset and that you know, they're no longer happy just being there, that that losses, regardless of whether they're close and regardless of whether they're as a result of an improved performance, are still losses.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you're absolutely right, Piney, And it's it's you know, for so long, I mean, as a journalist interviewing these players and the coaching stuff, and they talk about processes, and they talk about how we're moving, you know, towards something bigger and and things like that, even though we're challenging the challenging them so many times on the lack of goals and things like that. So I completely agree with you, Pinney that potentially that their NATA set is a loss is a loss.
Speaker 2: Michael Maine took the side in Paris. What's your gut feel on whether yet kak Klimkova will return as head coach.
Speaker 3: I think the longer we're not hearing anything about it is the longer it's you know, she's she's probably. I mean, we know she's on a seven year contract or something like that, and I'm not even sure she's halfway through yet. So that's obviously probably what New Zealand footballer feeling challenged with right now is keeping her on that contract, not keeping her on that contract. But yeah, the longer we wait for an announcement, the more I feel that she's not coming back.
Speaker 2: I agree. If I had to pick it, I'd say she's not. And that's based on nothing other than exactly what you just said. The longest she's out, the least likely it feels like she's coming back. I don't know anything about the you know, the ins and outs of why she's not there. It was a very odd announcement just before the Olympics saying, you know, because she'd obviously missed those previous games, hadn't she went against Japan that she'd missed, and Michael Mayne had taken over. Basically he found out when he got on tour that he was in charge. At least got a couple of weeks or a month or so this time to get used to the idea. I don't know, it just seems like it just doesn't seem like the most likely outcome to me, this feels like a chance to reset things. There are some players who are now retired who have left the set up. Isn't this just a chance for a full reset ahead of the next World Cup?
Speaker 3: Absolutely agree, Piney. Yeah, I don't know the announcers as well. They've kept things pretty tight lipped, which makes me feel like it's quite serious. And yes, one hundred percent the chance for a reset. You know there's senior players potentially not one hundred percent locked in a spot, and maybe this is the chance to kind of bring in a new wave of young players. We know that there's some really really good younger players already playing overseas and things like that, so probably now's the time for a full reset.
Speaker 2: I don't think there are any game scheduled either. I couldn't see any record of games coming up. I mean there will be games, obviously, but I can't see any anything that's scheduled at the moment. So maybe it is just time to sort things out with ya, just to shake hands and walk off in separate directions and then reset what's happening in the Football Ferns environment because there are a lot of good young players coming through. We're about to see the best under twenty players in New Zealand take part in their World Cup. They'll have designs on getting up into the full side as well. So yeah, it just feels to me as though you bang on it, it might be time just to just to reset things and look towards the future of the Football Ferns without Yetka Comkova.
Speaker 5: This is football fever.
Speaker 2: Running out of time. There's a lot of keys playing around the world, but we can get to those on the podcast next week. But Heaps and Heaps are key. He's playing and playing well for their clubs. Just wanted to ask you, Hannah Wilkinson still unattached. You haven't heard anything about where she might turn up.
Speaker 3: No, I haven't, and I had a feeling Wellington would be the answer, but maybe you know she's one of the older senior players and the Football Ferns. She's obviously not returning to Melbourne City, so maybe she's someone that's hanging up her boots. Who knows, I'll do something. I'll do some digging this week, Piney.
Speaker 2: That'd be good. Yeah, if you could bring that to the podcast audience next week, that would be greatly appreciated. I see Kate Taylor has turned up at Dijon in the top league in France. I've seen a lot of social media content out of that club and she's front and center. So great to see Kay Taylor settling and well. Her season starts on the twenty second of September, just before we go. The under twenty women about to undertake their campaign in Columbia for the World Cup. They played Japan, Austria and Ghana in group play. They need to finish in the top two or be one of the four best third placed finishers. Leon Bernie's the coach. She's got sixteen of the squad that went to the Under seventeen World Cup a couple of years ago. Just quickly ken. Japan obviously, as we said before, very good at every level. Austria seeing what they'll be good. Ghana maybe might be a game where New Zealand could sense a result. Can you see us getting out of this group. What are you hearing?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I don't think it's a super threatening group of group of oppositions. So positive there, And I just refeek back to the Under seventeen World Cup. God, that would have been over five six years ago now, but where they the junior football Ferns went on to win bronze at that World Cup. So yeah, I'm confident about this group of players. And you know there's so many names that have been other cap for the football Ferns been caught up to squads or play professional football already. So yeah, confident about what this group can do.
Speaker 2: Yep. Looking forward to their group games in the week ahead and this coming Saturday at Albany. You'll be in the commentary box for Chantham Cup and Kate Shepherd Cup finals Kate shepperd Cup Western Springs Auckland United at four o'clock and Chatham Cup Final Auckland City Wellington Olympic at seven o'clock. Who you got in these two games? Who are you picking?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Will Piney'll obviously be channeling my inner Jason Pine as.
Speaker 4: I call these games.
Speaker 3: But big big shoes there, But I think I have a feeling Wellington Olympic get up over Auckland City. Yes, they've probably had an easier regional season in the Central League, but I just feel like Auckland City aren't what there used to be, and in the women's Auckland United one hundred percent. They're so so dominant in the women's competition.
Speaker 2: It's Mickey Foster play for them at the moment, Yes.
Speaker 4: I believe.
Speaker 3: So there's obviously as well, like Chloe not gosh, just so so many strong players. I think Ruby Nathan's been there as well since she's been back. She obviously won't be she's at the World Cup right now. But yeah, they've got some really really strong players domestically or her, we've kind of stood out and probably could be knocking on the Phoenix door.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, enjoy the calls of those two games. Looking forward to hearing those and watching it all play out. That brings to an end a bumper addition of Football Fever. Sorry we have been away so long. We will bring you episodes weekly again from now on as the New A League season draws closer and kiwis continue to play football all around the world in various different capacities. Thanks Bonnie, we'll chat you again next Monday.
Speaker 4: We'll see you then
Speaker 1: Football Fever with Jason Vine and Bonnie Jansens