Speaker 1: You're listening to the Weekend Collective podcast from News Talks AB.
Speaker 2: The Open Class. Why yeah, Baby, Oh sorry, yeah, welcome back. It's the Weekend Collective. Roman Travism for tempton Beverage. Man, that's a great song. Joining us at this hour is a wonderful Max Whitehead for smart Money.
Speaker 3: Get a there, Max, Jeez, I love that song. I'd make that my signature if I could really really love it, I'd probably play it on my phone for people to bring up and get some some advice.
Speaker 2: Why didn't realize you could dance? That was incredible while dancing on a cheer though, good movements there, Max. Look, it's good to see you. And with a fresh year twenty twenty five, here we go at a wobbly economy, it's always good to get the dust off the old CV and make sure it's up to date. I'll tell you what I had to redo my CV a couple of years ago. Man, everything's changed, everything's changed. So where should you start and what should you include in your CV? And how can you make sure your application stands out from the rest of the pile.
Speaker 3: Well, good questions and look at it all depends on totally what the type of job you're after, but certainly what you've got to look at it from a perspective. Always think about it. What does the employer want rather than what you want? So turn it round and if they want somebody smart, they want somebody reliable, someone who's going to turn up on time. Those are the fundamentals that employers are looking for. So first off you need to tick off those boxes. But then you need to do some research on that company and you need to go right into it quite deeply, so you know, look at their supplies, those sort of people, talk to them if you can. If you know the business quite well, you know there's a lot of people that you can actually talk to in regards to their staff as well, and get a bit of a feel for what is it actually wanting, what the role will be acquiring before you even front up and even put that CV together.
Speaker 2: Great advice, and I reckon the best thing to do apart from all of that is to call Can you give a free chat with Max right now? Max Whitehead and Employment Relations Expert eight hundred eight ten eighty. You can text if you want to nine two nine to two. You are much better off calling the free phone number and having that chat. So CVS, when I was at school back and there were dinosaurs, it was it was a time you should have seen us.
Speaker 3: It was a long time ago, that was nineteen thirty four.
Speaker 2: Well it wasn't far off it, you asked David Seymore he thinks I'm a dinosaur.
Speaker 3: You're not a dinosaur.
Speaker 2: No, you should hear what he had to say. Anyway, So going back your full work history, that's what I was told to do. And then recently when I have my CV redone a couple of years ago.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, not, you only.
Speaker 2: Need the last three or four years or the last three or four significant roles. Is that true?
Speaker 3: Less is more? Yeah, it really is the new way about it. Because you imagine they're going to get a pile of CVS coming through. They're going to glance at it now. First off, they want to see and I tell the key to this is what you've achieved, not what you want to do, what you reckon you can do, it's what you've achieved. So that's factual information employers don't get normally, and if you've achieved something, they will really want to drill in on that and actually say, well, you know did you do that whole project yourself? Was it? Ba da da da da da? And that'll impress them immensely. So if anything they've got to walk away with is that you've been able to achieve some stuff in your career, you know, Max.
Speaker 2: I can guarantee you. I can almost I won't put a stat on it, but I can guarantee you A vast proportion of people listening will be thinking, I'd never hear back. I've sent off the most amazing application. I wrote this amazing cover letter. I would be surprised how many people actually go to the CV once they've read the cover letter, which isn't specific to the job they've applied for. By putting the time in to your point, doing some research on the business, that's key, isn't it.
Speaker 3: It is key, But you've got to spend some time for it. And it's nothing more disappointing when you get zero reply. You know, back in the good old days, I'm probably older than you. You and in those good old days, you always got to reply, even it was a bit just the same as everyone else got. But at least you've got the respect of somebody talking to it. Today, the silence is used as a weapon as well. Yes, and also people haven't got time to have talked to you that it's really disappointing of an organization.
Speaker 2: Eight hundred and eighty ten eighty. You might have had like knock back after knock back, you may have had some success after making some changes, or you may just want some advice about your CV, your approach to the job applications. I do here quite frequently and talk about calls. Max. You know, I've applied for literally thirty or forty roles and not heard back on one of them. I'm thinking, what are you doing wrong? So, if you're an employer, are you generally looking at the cover letter before the CV or are you presuming the cover let will be you know, dear, so and so I'm amazing and these these are the key things I'm amazing at. Which is the most important.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and exactly it's you telling people how incredible you are is not going to interest them at all. They get from everybody. What you really do need to do is what your achievements are. That's that you've really got to focus on that. So what I've done, I've worked in five years in this organization, three years on that that means something as well. And then I was able to achieve this status, or perhaps I managed these amount of people successfully, I got promoted in that way, even to a higher ranking, whatever it was after those things. If you've done those achievements, man, that's got something to be pleasant about. Look, the next question I think you're going to ask me later on is about pay rises, and it goes with the same. You really need to show your achievements. And because your boss people will be looking or she'll be looking at you know what is it that this person's achieved for me? What is it they need? And of course again it comes back to you know what you've been successful?
Speaker 2: Okay, I reckon. That's a good thing to go on with too. If you want to know about how to wordsmith that approach to your boss, oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty, because I'll tell you what the easy answer. It doesn't matter what you tell me, Max. If you come to me and say you need a pay rise, Nope, I need no, but I'm actually I've got on mortgage. That's no. So Noah is an easy answer. But actually explaining to your employer the value that you're adding to a business. What you want to do in the future, asking them how to get to where you want to be. They might go, gee, that's a different approach. Yeah, pretty hard to say no to Roman. He's worth millions, And that's exactly a nice approach. And what can I do to get your satisfaction with me? I can actually get an increase. That is a really good approach. Yeah, all right, so let's just make Let's just presume that someone my age in their mid to late fifties and I haven't had to apply for a job for a very long time. I'll drag out my old CV. It looks pretty good. It's in a font that's unrecognizable, something that resembles something from the eighteen twenties. What do I need to do to that CV? Am I best to work on that myself or give it to someone like you and get that advice?
Speaker 3: Well, I can tell you now that AI is really fantastic with CBS, and what you do is summarize what you've been, what you've been successful at, what you've done, and give it to AI and it'll actually do something. But getting to your real question, not everyone's that got access to AI, So you really are better off with an expert to guide you a little bit, but again less is more so one page, the front page is really important. You know, your photograph will attract their attention, but also if what your achievements have been and how long, how experienced you are, those sort of factors. But look, when you read an advert or somebody who's looking for some staff, look for what they want and underline it. There's certain words that really are key for you. Underline that one and that word and then focus on those points. And that's what the employee is looking for, and that's what you should focus on, and that's where you should make them pleased.
Speaker 2: Can I just pull you up on the photo thing, because I think a lot of people my age and older they presume that if you put a photo or a date of birth, which apparently you don't put on cvs anymore. Do people generally work out how old you are based on your work history and when you got your degree or whatever. And how important is that photo if it shows that you like, there's a lot of benefits to being older, right, But for some people it's say, oh no, they'll be set in their ways. We don't want them.
Speaker 3: You got it, But I recall back in my time, when I was turning forty forty five, it was getting very very old, and you know, getting into my age now you're sort of unemployable. It's that trend is changing though, Romance. I believe that employers are now waking up to the fact that they want somebody were skilled and reliable. They can rely on older people, but you're quite right, the employer will be looking for age and experience, and if you're getting too old or you're too young, they might go off you. I mean, young people have got a bad reputation for not being reliable, and older people can be they get tired too quickly or want to do less hours. Those sort of things are really important, so are you. You know, if you can prove you're a really good attitude and your boss has liked you in your previous life, well that really can come through quite well too. But this is.
Speaker 2: Exactly this pros and cons. A twenty year old can be molded to what you want them to be. For example, I'm just choosing an extreme mate, and eighty five year old isn't going to be snorting twelve kilos of cocaine and drinking Jack Daniels till two am calling in sick? Are they so? Pros and cons?
Speaker 3: Pros and cons?
Speaker 2: Can you be too qualified?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Why do people say that, I'm sorry, John Lovely CV, but you're too qualified? What does that mean?
Speaker 3: Well, it means that you're going to be dissatisfied because you're not going to get paid as you should, as you have been paid in the past, and you're going to go to work thinking well, this is just too easy. Am I going to apply myself? Probably not, I'll just do what's necessary and go through the motions. But probably Am I inspiring to do more or get further in my life? Probably know I've already achieved that, so I'm not interested. Those sort of things are really important. Yeah, and yeah, you can be overqualified. A lot of people come at new immigrants come to this country with some amazing qualifications and it doesn't spin the wheels. Quite often, that's where they disappointed.
Speaker 2: Do you think I think this is I think the answer is yes. Do you think some employers are threatened by people who are very qualified? They don't want to be shown up where it should be like, oh my lord, look at that person, what they could add to my business?
Speaker 3: Roman These are excellent questions I do keep me on. You know, I think there is some truth in that they can be intimidated with them. People like to feel that they are in charge and going to be respected. But if somebody feels that they're more superior than them, it does sort of it's not as inviting as to somebody who's going to respect them and do as they told. So, yeah, it can be that factor. And the other factor is that that you're going to become less enthusiastic about your role. They want someone in there is going to be innovative, someone who can actually think for themselves, somebody who can actually get up and go and make the job happen and perhaps even consider, you know, things that will help the employer. That's what they want to see is someone who wants to grow my business for me. That would be ideal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it makes it makes a lot of sense. Everything makes a lot of sense. But I think we are all stuck in our ways and sometimes you need someone like Max. You need someone who's expert in human resources who see cvs all the time to actually tell you that look nice attempt, but you really need to tweak that CV. Get some advice by calling now on eight hundred eighty ten eighty nine two nine to two on the text. I was just thinking in a business where they're going to logically get hundreds of applications, pick your business, it doesn't matter. Let's say it's pack and Save in Johnsonville, Okay, So they're going to get four hundred applications if they all pretty much look the same, what will stand out? Would for example, me attaching a helium balloon to a CV having a stripper bouncing out of a cake. No, seriously does that kind of thing, that novelty stuff? Does it work?
Speaker 3: No? Oh well, I mean those two things wouldn't work for me. Came out like I say, this guy's a clown. I don't want him back in there. He's going to make fun. But certainly if you can, I mean, different size paper sometimes can do it. What happened years ago I was in a role which I had a PA and she put them all together because everything was a four in those days. So there was a huge pile on my desk and I just went I got to wait all the way through this. But she had gone through it and actually got five really good candidates and put him on the top. And she said I've just gone through those. Those are the attributes I can see, and she'd done a little brief. I was so impressed that she did that. But that's how they're going to have to go through them rather quickly and find out which individual really really suits their needs and that employer should have it in his ad. But he'll be saying, this is the criteria that I'm really searching for. I want that innovative, clear thinking person, somebody who's got a good attitude, who can do the work and even make be enthusiastic about my business as well. Even a bit of entrepreneurial trend is quite healthy in a business, particularly for an employer if they're looking for business opportunity of these themselves, that can be quite healthy.
Speaker 2: Good stuff. Max Whitehead here for Smart Money on eight hundred and eighty ten eighty. It's the weekend collective. I'm really keen to get some callers asking you some more questions because I'm thinking of all sorts of questions that I would benefit from. Oh now, so let's look at that the whole point that I never hear back and I literally get those calls. I've written thirty or forty different applications, I don't hear back from anyone at all. How are you supposed to know how to make the right changes if no one's telling you what's wrong with your CV and people just keep sending the same things. I know that employer probably doesn't care. But back in the day, we used to care. We used to be more courteous with job applications, didn't we.
Speaker 3: And that's that's where we talked about before you know who best you refer to, and you'd probably need an expert advice, or go and talk to colleagues, friends, people like this and say, can you have a look at my CV? What's your thoughts on this? Now you're going to get a variation of views and point of views, And of course generation makes a big difference as well. Sometimes the older people are going, oh, no, no, you need to fill it up with all your parson. No, don't do that. Keep it brief to the point and be succinct. But also you've got to design it particularly for the job. The CV shouldn't be generic for every job you apply for, just to do it for that one particular job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree. If I was getting an application that looks very generic, Dear employer or to whom it concerns. I kind of like the business that you're If there's nothing in there that tells me they've done any research, that would be next? Please? What about references? Do I put them down for further information contact these people? Or do I actually put the good old letter written by the previous employer?
Speaker 3: Well, references, I would say, really of yesteryear. And they're not even important anymore because a lot of people will tell you what you want to hear rather than the reck real facts. But a phone number and a referral to can you ring Roman and ask him what Max is like? That can be it's big, big time. But also the individual who be assessing you will be saying, is there anyone else in the business I can talk to? He wants that individual, so maybe there's someone else in there because I need to get a really good, unbiased perspective of this guy. Yeah, people I know that employ people.
Speaker 2: One of the key questions they ask is is there any reason why you wouldn't employ this person again? And if the phone goes quiet, it's like next eight hundred eighty ten eighteen numbers I can tell and nine nine two on the text get a there, Grant, Hey, Grant, Yeah, Hey.
Speaker 4: Couple couple of things covering letter, little subtleties like including the logo of the company that you're applying for. Whether that's just a complete waste of time or that adds the point of difference the covering letter as well, I think you've hit them out on the head, whereas yeah, you're talking to you make a bit of effort to find out about the company, and you're researching the company saying what they actually want. Obviously you've got to include that as far as yours, what you've achieved, so that the covering letter, the way I see it is it's like your door. It's your doorway. It's like the you know, the bit that gets you interested or it gets the interest of that bothered and look at your cvs. So that was the first thing. That the second thing for the CV, I wanted to ask whether you think it's worth having hyperlinks in the CV. So you have, you know, one of your achievements and then you have a hyperlink through too, so they can actually click on that and see, oh okay, cool, that's a link to what so and so has said that they've achieved.
Speaker 3: Gone, gone, hyperse of the.
Speaker 4: Use of LinkedIn and importance of LinkedIn in today's world. So I think that if you're looking at particular industry, you're you're making an effort to follow all the right people, all the right companies, and then rather than asking, like it's like a blind date, so you're not actually asking to connect, but you actually start following them. And then you start following the company and their posts, and you're you're liking or potentially commenting on their content hopefully so that then when it all links up and you've applied for something, potentially they see that, oh there's a name that's familiar. Names familiarly because oh god, they've been following us on LinkedIn, and they're following the CEO and whoever else and the company and so those three things.
Speaker 3: So grant I would say, LinkedIn, let's start from the last one. First. LinkedIn is a really good idea and amazing employers look at that all the time, and because they get so much information off that, particularly in regards to your past and what you've achieved. So tidy that up. Also, tidy up your social media. Don't have any stupid stuff on that because it really is not going to go down well for you. Now, in terms of hyperlinks, I think that's a brilliant idea. I use them all the time when I give advice, I might refer to a piece of legislation. I'll put a hyperlink into that law and people can look for themselves. I think it just shows that you've innovated. You've also got ability, and you've done your research and you've got it right there. So I think a hyperlink is a great idea. Now, putting the company's logo on your letter, I'm not sure. It's a little bit creepy. It's a bit almost invasive. I think it's their intellectual property. I would leave it alone, I think, but you demonstrate and I think, Grant, you're making this point that you know something about their business and you've done your research. But do it subtly and do it just briefly, because the real thing about it is you've got to show that you've got something to offer. And if you can show innovation, I think that's one of the key words for actually employing people. They can take it a step further. They can see some opportunities when it comes about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good stuff, Grint, thank you. Look, I want to be a bit cynical about that. Look, how do you show innovation if you're going for a job and I don't want to pack a job because someone will say that it'd be right you're having a crack at me in my job. But I'm just going to pick a job. So I'm applying for a job as a courier driver. How do I show innovation? How do I show anything different other than I've got a clean license and I've got no road rage in my history.
Speaker 3: Well, obviously speed and time is a big one for those people. They really want to know you can get the work done and you're available, and you can go back to the depot and perhaps pick up someone else's run or the end of their run where there's some late documental parcels come in. So I think if you can say, look, I've got an achievement here. I know the shortcuts around around this town. I can actually get to locations a lot quicker than most people. I am also quite fit. I will probably run up the driveway if necessary, and delivered right to the front porch or whatever it might be, but also taking particular care that it's secure and where I leave the parcel or whatever it might be. Now, those sort of things will show a little bit of innovation, but the speed and that's speeds money to the employer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. And just going back to LinkedIn when I was having my CV reworked a couple of years ago, instead of just having dub dub dub LinkedIn and then a whole lot of numbers, you can change that to your name. So yeah, so that's quite important on your CV. So that LinkedIn profile is your name in the profile?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean they can do a search on I've never done your name, but.
Speaker 2: It'll be this amazing. All sorts of things pop up.
Speaker 3: Max, You've got balloons, heavy and boom balloons and things.
Speaker 2: Strippers out of cakes. Oh, you've be intrigued for us, No good. This is a great place to get the advice that you need with Max Whitehead here on the Smart Money Show of the Weekend Collective Max Whitehead. He's an employment relations expert, a thoroughly lovely guy, and he's been involved with people and the work that they do for years and years and years on both sides of the fence. So get stuck in eight hundred eighty ten eighty and nine two nine to two to text twenty seven past five, half past five. Great to have your company here. On the Smart Money Out of the Weekend collective, Max Whitehead is in the studio with me. Join us eight hundred eighty ten eighty will connect you or z b ZB on the text let's talk about tenure in a job. You know, back in the day you left college, you went to the post office and you stay there till you were sixty sixty five. So how long is too long? If you're looking at a CV and someone has that kind of tenure, is that boring or is that like, oh, they're great because they're dependable.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, you're right about the old days. If you'd been there more than ten years, it's about normal, and then if you did fifteen, you'd get a probably overreward. But you'll notice all those things disappeared now. People are not interested now. If you're in a job more than three years, then you're probably overstaying. And also if you haven't had an increase in that period of time or very very few less than say the inflation rate, you really should have a review of where you're going. Now. Keep an eye on obviously, our look at our current marketplace, and inflation's big time everywhere. But you need to keep those factors into your consideration. But three years today, I think it's time to have a review and do you need to stay? Is there opportunities within this business? Or am I stayed? If you want to be stayed well and your and your boss is happy with you, well then stay there. I mean that's fine. But if you're ambitious and want to get ahead, move on. If nothing's happened in three years, go and find something else and try and pump yourself up another notch by going for that next job up.
Speaker 2: See, there's a couple of things there isn't there. If you're in an industry where you can't actually climb a ladder, you can't go any high. You come in at this level and that's where you stay. That's not necessarily boring, I guess. Or does it show that you're not driven enough to want to change, because I would look at a CV that shows constant change and I'd be going, blimey, what's this person up to? They count? Sit still?
Speaker 3: Well? New Zealand's a really unique place too. Ninety seven percent of all businesses here are small businesses, so that's less than twenty staff, and most businesses are even less than that. So if you're in a small business, you can't climb too far and the boss isn't going to go anywhere unless he's getting near retirement, and you're thinking about buying the business offer or proposing that sort of thing. Those are factors for consideration as well if you've got big ambitions. But a lot of people are looking for job security these days. It's more comfortable than being ambitious. And just the fact that I've got bread and butter coming on the table, can feed the family is enough for them. And look, they don't mind sitting in a job where they're not going to go up the tree anymore, belong and they can actually go to work, go home forget about work, and then enjoy the family. The people two different types of people in the world. And I suspect you Roman are ambitious and a bit like myself. I was all the way through. I'm in a hurry to get anywhere. Couldn't believe it. I've been there a month and I hadn't that promotion. Now that's the young people today. They actually think the same. But you've got to do You've got to do your apprenticeship. You really do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm probably quite annoying for people that know me quite well, because I do tend to if I look at something, how do I get to that point? What do I need to do to get there? And you've got to You've got to know how to work through a process in order to get better or to achieve promotion. So knowing that pathway.
Speaker 3: In zdmme is going to have a new CEO soon Roman Travers.
Speaker 2: Well, that's what I've heard.
Speaker 3: Bed self promotion.
Speaker 2: So understanding that pathway that's quite important. So those people that are getting constant knockbacks, the people are saying I'm never getting a reply or I'm getting a reply and it's always no. But perhaps you haven't shown how driven what you've achieved in order to better yourself. Telling people that you're worth more and capable of a job that isn't indicated in your CV isn't great, is it?
Speaker 3: Well, again, you need to do the research. Is the company's looking for someone who is prepared to sit in a job for a long period of time and just sit there and do the job, or are they looking for someone that could gravitate to the top and someone who's really going to make their business hum. Those are two different lots of people, and equally attractive to employers. To have someone stable, secure, they're going to keep coming and they're going to be reliable, and someone that you can bank on to come to work every day is quite satisfying for many, many, particularly small employees.
Speaker 2: All Right, So, whether you're an employer or an employee and a potential employee, if you've got questions for Max Whitehead, our employment relations expert, this is the time to get at eight hundred and eighty ten and.
Speaker 3: Any other questions you've got about employment law. I'm more than happy to help you. We're on a public holiday, you know that's tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Some people have them, don't they match?
Speaker 3: Oh you're not, obviously, No, I'll be sleeping. I won't even think about your own man.
Speaker 2: See, how many people do you in your experience working with people in employment matters? How many people get really belligerent and a bit snotty about being overlooked. Oh I'm perfectly capable, but they're not prepared to understand what they need to do on that pathway to better themselves.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, particularly the new generation, because they see the world revolves around them, and they're really looking at They can't believe it. They can't believe it. This employer is not treating me right and promoting me, and that really employers are very much aware of this attitude as well. So keep yourself in check, folks. There's nothing wrong with being ambitious and being in a hurry, but keep yourself in check and be very conscious of the employer's perspective on things. If they haven't got the right perspective, maybe it's time to move on and you do it to your way and whatever. But I like what you said before roman approach them. What can I do to impress you? What can I do to get ahead in this business? And I think that's probably a good start. And if they say, we'll just do your job, I'm happy with you carry on as it is. Is there any chance of me becoming them over taking from you, taking over and managing the business for you and you can stay home. Yeah, those questions are quite reasonable. But I should tell you I like.
Speaker 2: That because there's two types of people in every single business. I don't care whether it's a courier company or whatever the business is. There's the people that want to help you up the ladder and the people that want to chop the ladder off to stop you getting up there. So there's anyway eight hundred eighty ten eighty the text nine two nine two you get a Reuben Hey, Ruben Max here.
Speaker 5: Oh, how's it going? I'm just ringing up. I'm just wondering, if you've got an employer, employees or other, and they haven't worked for longer than say a year, are they still entitled to and you'll leave.
Speaker 3: Yeah, only after they've done twelve months service that they're entitled to four weeks leave. So what happens is the day they start, they start to accumulate leave, and you can give it to them an advance if you want to. If not, they have to wait till the end of that twelve month period and then they're entitled to four weeks.
Speaker 5: Okay. So in mine situation, I've got I have given some an advance, but now the employee is resigning and they're just wondering if they're so eligible to get the rest of that money even though they've resigned before the twelve month period.
Speaker 3: It depends how much you've given them. I always, I always recommend to employers don't give them any more than they've actually accumulated. Did you give them extra or not?
Speaker 5: I've got them through two hours and goodwill, I think it's not. It's haven't gone over what they would get after a year.
Speaker 3: But yeah, but you might have given them more. Say they've only done two weeks work and you gave them thirty two hours paid leave for a holiday. You've been over generous. So I would actually ask them for that money back saying that. Yeah, I there's nothing wrong with asking them for it and saying that I've given this to you out of generosity and I've you know, the law didn't require me to do that, so I was trying to help you at the time. No, there's no problem to ask you.
Speaker 5: Okay, Oh that's great news.
Speaker 3: Thanks for that, all right, Reuben good thanks for the call.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks Ruben. Yeah, I think this comes up a lot about what I am entitled to my contracts. Is one thing I'm hearing different things from an employer. Is that still something that people are grappling with. It's quite black and white in a contract, do, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Well? One of the worst things Roman is the Holidays Act. It really is a nightmare for people like me. I'm sitting here terrified. Now. I encourage people to call in about the Holidays Act, but it's just full of fish hooks, and also the judiciary reluctant to make a decision about lots of stuff of it. We're just waiting for the day that brook van Belden, the minister, is going to actually put a new one out because the past government they had six years they were going to put it out. They didn't. This government tried and they were going to get so far and they're going to spend another year doing it. So we're still and waiting.
Speaker 2: Of a mainland cheese policy. Good things take time, right.
Speaker 3: I don't know. It's been a lot of years and I've been around a long time. So what I do recall is in the early days they said we're putting a new version out and it'll be much simpler. It wasn't and then it just comes on again and again. It really it's going to be very very difficult to I've tried to even think about what drafting and make it simple simple, and Brooks tried. You can remember that she was saying, oh, we'll put a proportion of people and you know of the time that they're entitled to. It isn't easy if you're going to give everyone their entitlements, if you're going to get harsh, well maybe it's time to happen. Yeah.
Speaker 2: David Seymour in a State of the Nation's speech, was praising Brook van Valden the work she's doing in this regard. So, look, how is that feeling for you as an employer? I think it must be terrifying trying to work out what people are into.
Speaker 3: Brooks made a lot of in my world and employment stuff and brook van Velden's the god of employment law. So she's made a lot of promises. So far nothing's happened. So she's saying twenty twenty five, it's all going to happen. It's all fall into place. She's promised anybody over one hundred and eighty thousand. She said, you won't get to be able to take a personal grievance. She said that there'll be changes to the law where people won't get the same rewards they used to for taking the personal grievance. There's a lot of stuff happening and yet we haven't seen it happen yet. So he's right about the innovation and good ideas. But well there's proof in the pudding, isn't it. Let's wait and see.
Speaker 2: Stand by, stand by, pick up the phone and call Max Whitehead, an employment relations expert. Here on the Smart Money Hour, it's the Weekend Collective News Talks there B twenty to six, seventeen to six Roman travers. Here on the Smart Money Hour, it's the Weekend Collector. Max Whitehead, you're a tremendously generous man. If people are listening and they're going, shit, I'm not calling I'm too scared. How do they find you?
Speaker 3: You can call me on two one twenty four to seven ninety three ninety three, or just look up the dub dub dub Whitehead Group. Dot co dot n said, oh the white Hair Group.
Speaker 2: Good stuff.
Speaker 3: Well, Max Whitehead will get you there as well.
Speaker 2: Well unfair gettable. Now we have talked about CVS, the importance of making sure it's up to date, and I'm not just talking about your latest job. Make sure it's actually going to be worth reading, not something that was produced out of wided up a.
Speaker 3: Columny to two pages maybe three, but you know, keep it less is more.
Speaker 2: Yes, and write a covering letter pertinent to the job you're applying for and don't use strippers and cakes.
Speaker 3: So I thought that was Helian Balloons was the other one.
Speaker 2: I like that. I like that there's something outstanding, right. So we're talking also about tenure in the job, and you're saying, at about three years, if you get him at stale, you haven't made any moves. It could look like you're stale.
Speaker 3: Yep, I think it's time to have a review. And that's the modern world. In the old world, it was like fifteen years and you were look, that's a good, good person, he's a good employee. Steady as get over that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd hate to watch you reading my CV. It's quite comedic. It goes everything from farming to the Department of Conservation, the Forest Service, to working in pubs in London, a waiter in Scotland, radio TV back to radio all over the show Roman.
Speaker 3: If you're to look at the role you're going to apply for and then apply it, you know if you're going for if you're going to go for a radio announcer, for example, the last thing they want to know it you worked on a farm or maybe they do. I don't know. I guess oh, you're well. They want to touch on a wide spectrum of knowledge, and you do do it? You have got it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you could write my CV by the sounds. If you are in the process of writing a CV and you're just thinking, Look, I'm lost. I don't know what to do. Do I go forwards or backwards? Do I go from school or do I go from my current job. This is the time to make that phone call and catch Ma's whitehead. Here on the smart money eight hundred eighty ten eighty couple of text he max. Are you ready?
Speaker 3: Yep, I'm braced.
Speaker 2: Do employers read cover letters and CV letters these days or are they just put into an AI system for processing.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, the latter happens a lot these days. But certainly skim reading is what happens when employer's got to pile of them. They'll skim read it and pick out what's important. Remember that highlight whatever is important. Maybe it's a heading or whatever. There's some words in there that you think that they need to know. Put it in bold or whatever. You know, don't don't be. The other thing is Kiwis are reluctant to be They want to be modest and it's the Kiwi way, you know, the quiet achiever. No, don't. This is the time you need to get loud and bold and saying this is what I can do, and this is what I have done. I could do it for your business as well.
Speaker 2: It's a cliche, but cliches become cliches because they're generally true. You have one chance to make a first impression, don't you do?
Speaker 3: And it's a glance, and it's you're right. Say someone's got one hundred applications there, they're going to flash through them and it's skim reading it on the way. So the words are important and less is more.
Speaker 2: Yes. And I was also told, tell me what you think about this, and by the way, do call eight hundred eighty ten eighty while we're chatting away. Reflect the language that they use in the ad. So if they want things like we want someone who can collaborate, use that word talk about your collaboration. We want someone who whatever it might be, reflect the same language back because they'll connect with that.
Speaker 3: That's exactly right, and that's what I was pointing out. I'm so pleased you've said that, because you know, collaborations are very very modern word and people use a lot, but that's you're dead right, And that's why I'm saying before underline some of the key words with in their advertisement or whatever they are to try and get your attention, and then put it back to them and say, well, I've collaborated with many of this is this associates from my business, et cetera, will vouch for me to do this, this, this, this, this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, Curren says, there's absolutely no excuse for not acknowledging applications. They're all done electronically, just an auto reply such as thank you for your interests. The process from here is blah blah blah. We will assess the applications, be back with you in a couple.
Speaker 3: Of wads, and look, AI will do it for them in seconds. It's incredible what that will do. Just feed it in and then give them their addresses and then saying, okay, I like these three candidates, so you know we used to get them in the old days, are saying unfortunately, and we've got some very high caliber of candidates and unfortunately didn't quite make the grade this time. Well, so what use those words and put repeated if necessary, but at least get back to people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, because you know one thing that we all tell each other, abnores him. We tell each other that we're so busy, and then we'll tell each other about the fourteen hours of Netflix we watched, and we sat at the pub for fourteen hours watching cricket. So yeah, that's not everybody. But yeah, just being politial.
Speaker 3: Here's a grumble, And I hope you don't mind me saying, but I hate the cancel culture and the fact that you just don't get a response is the cancel culture, and I think it's rude. I actually think that is absolutely rude. You should acknowledge someone who's communicating with you, at least acknowledge them. If you disagree, say so and then move on.
Speaker 2: I completely agree. Ron says, goody, they're Raman and Max. I'm an owner operator working for a big corporate. Do I have to be on a roster and stipulated hours of work and when the work is slow you don't hear from them, But when you're on the roster and you have to be available, I'm not really sure.
Speaker 3: Well, I assume Ron is an employee and there is a requirement under the legislation that they've got to specify guaranteed hours of work. So I guess that's what Ron's on about that sound on a roster. Well then you know, so I'd say Ron has his own business, but he's actually an employee as well. I'd say that's probably what he's doing.
Speaker 2: Okay, good stuff. As an employer, Max, I look for straightforward cover letters and one or two pages for a CV only, and that reflects on the time, right. I don't have time to read about your love of butterflies, you know, And I went tramping once, like, just keep it simple, keep it succinct, reflect what they're asking for.
Speaker 3: Exactly what you said before. And that guy, that guy or girl who owns a business is really just saying, hey, it's the right advice. So listen, folks that really listen to this. Keep it simple and keep it short.
Speaker 2: Yes, I like what you were saying before about social media, and this text touches on that. Get a Roman and Max, don't put your photo on the CV, and also close out your Facebook page, as many employers look at your profile and pictures regard says John, Why would you unless you're an absolute notice or something, why would you close your Facebook page?
Speaker 3: Well? I could tell you now, if I get a new client, I mean, this is almost the other way around. I will then do research on social media and see where they sit and what sort of person they are. And the Facebook page really is a toweltal.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: They might enjoy parting and going out, well that's fine, that's normal. But if they over the top and drug it up or whatever it might be, I might not be happy of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I guess everything you put in the digital world is there forever, and just be that in mind. Right, So it's a good tip. Thanks, Let's get back into it with your phone calls. Eight hundred eighty ten eighty. You've only got another ten minutes to catch Max Whitehead from the white Head Group and employment Relations the expert. Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty. It's a free phone call. The text nine two N two nine to six sex to sex Max Whitehead. If you're asking lots of text saying how do I get hold of Max Whitehead? He doesn't always sit in the studio, he does go home. You are part of the white Head.
Speaker 3: Group, I could stay here at night and day where.
Speaker 2: You could what's your website? Again?
Speaker 3: I was gonna say dub dubw you're not allowed us see anymore. Whitehead group dot co dot nz.
Speaker 2: Brilliant, good stuff, Giday, guys. My contract states two months notice to leave, but I'm paid fortnightly. Where do I stand to leave early? Is this negotiable?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a good question, and quite often, look quite often the employers actually put it like, if you're paid fortnightly, then it's a fortnight's notice. But a lot of employers are now using this long tenure for a notice period, which backbars on them sometimes as well. So I would suggest you ought to be trying to negotiate that. It's probably too late. You're probably locked in and you're signed off at it. So that tenure for a notice period is really negotiable, and you should exercise that at the beginning of your job.
Speaker 2: It always sounds better and nasty when people start arguing about can you leave early? Clearly you don't want to be there as an employer. Do you really want to keep someone there? It doesn't want to be.
Speaker 3: No, And that's what I say that to employers, and quite often employees that backed by someone in that regard. Oh, I've got somebody with a bad attitude. They are leaving, thank goodness. But now I've got them here for two months? What do I do?
Speaker 2: Sorry? Max Buzzwords says, the text of Buzzwords would be the first thing to make me turn the page. As an employer. If I saw the word collaborative, I'd move on. It's an empty word most times, you see, so that picked up on that word. My point was reflect the language that the person has written.
Speaker 3: And I would agree with you Roman, but I also agree with the buzzwords. I mean, I read a lot in my world of redundancy proposals that they've sent to employees, and some of these, some of the larger, well known organizations out there, have the most beautifully written stuff, but if you examine it closely, it's got no substance in it at all. Employees have to give you information. They don't give you anything at all. But it sounds so oh man, this is important. I really do have to just obey them what I have to do. Yeah, it works for them.
Speaker 2: It's amazing how much you can say without actually saying anything. Isn't it?
Speaker 3: Oh they have?
Speaker 2: And what the heck are they saying?
Speaker 5: What is it?
Speaker 2: You're trying to say? Just say it? But I do like the fact that, so I think we're going to clash on that. If someone's asking for someone who's collaborative, and you work that back into your application and reflect how you've been that person, you'll be top of the list.
Speaker 3: Max, Well, no collaborative. I agree with you because I think that means you can work with this team, you can work with others, you can work with idiots. Yeah, yes, everyone.
Speaker 2: Good on you, Max white Hair from the White Hair Group, Thank you so much for coming.
Speaker 3: I love being here. Oh, good on you.
Speaker 2: Another great smart money out. I just remember you can catch all the action from Politics Central, the Health Hub, and smart Money on your favorite little device, you thing. iHeartRadio is the best place to go or go to news Talks thereb dot co dot Cheers, Max and thanks to tire of the produclar Yeah, thank you, Bye bye, Excus.
Speaker 1: For more from the Weekend Collective, listen live to news Talks it be weekends from three pm, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio.