Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talk Sat B. Follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on iHeart Radio.
Speaker 2: Take another pat, now we'll get in.
Speaker 3: It's a trick, it is out, The test is over.
Speaker 2: Couldn't smoke.
Speaker 3: It was a beauty this out and here he goes this delivery?
Speaker 4: Has any use it to bowl.
Speaker 1: On the front foot with Brian Waddell and Jeremy Cody, powered by News Talks Dead B at iHeart Radio.
Speaker 3: Hello and goodness me, what a week we've had in cricket. There's plenty going on and I wonder which has been the most entertaining or the most controversial. England go to one in the challenging series with India. Boy didn't get a little testy in that game over eight tissue is rear e'zagly ahead again twenty six challenge once more, but we still hold the unwanted record out of the West Indies avoid acquiring it was at the pink ball that kept the scores low and the bowlers on job wasn't just playing bad batting by both sides. Game one of the African Try series and there's a mutiny on the cards for our domestic cricketers fees being bumped by an unwanted technology levy hardly what the game needs in the country at the moment, but it seems likely to create conflict. Just before we're joined by Jeremy Cooney as ever, and Peter Holland along here to join us. This week, there's been a lot of cricketing action, but it's been capped off by the performance of the Black Caps in Zimbabwe under their new coach Rob Walter, winning their first game of T twenty cricket against South Africa, the team that Rob Walter has previously coached, and it wasn't their normal frontline players Tim Robbin and Bevan Jacobs. The replacement players put on a partnership of one hundred and three to give them a very respectable total. There was no Bracewell, no Phillips, no Ravender, no Chapman, and o'rourkan Milne were left out of the New Zealand side. So next week we'll be able to cover that series and get some reaction to the New Zealand team's performance in Zimbabwe. But well, what's been the highlights of the week? Has it been England's win over India in the match at Lord's or Jeremy Coney. Was it the twenty seven that the West Indies scored nearly taking a record office.
Speaker 5: Well, high words and moose again, Yeah, twenty seven and it was actually the difference Wards was a missfield by Constance in the gully.
Speaker 4: He needs to be strung up whoever it was.
Speaker 2: To drop catches, Jerry, if you don't before.
Speaker 4: The really really I didn't know that.
Speaker 5: That's yeah, well twenty six, Yeah, that's that's that's a record we could do without. Really, we could talk about that. I guess when we get there, I'll tell you what. The Western These bowlers aren't the worst lads. No, if you look at this, yeah, I mean no, that's well they're not.
Speaker 4: They're supposed to bed are they the bowlers?
Speaker 5: But I mean the Seals, Seals and Shama Joseph and Alzari Joseph and Justin Grieves that or they're they're not a bad, bad lot of seamers. So I'm looking forward to seeing them when they come over. Yes, Sabina Park again, Oh.
Speaker 3: Dear one, are your favorite grounds?
Speaker 5: Jerry?
Speaker 4: Yeah, look.
Speaker 5: Not one hundred, I don't think as it's a bit of a guess from either side and the three tests?
Speaker 4: Is that right?
Speaker 3: Seventy five was the yeah score by Brandon King.
Speaker 5: So the pictures, the pictures could have been fairly tough. I only watched bits of it here and there, and the parts I thought were seeming quite a lot, so look, yeah, but twenty seven I couldn't believe that. Really in fourteen fourteen and a half overs amazing?
Speaker 3: Most were you backing the Aussies?
Speaker 2: Oh, I couldn't be going there. I'm sorry. I'm listening to it on the radio and they were eleven for living for six and I'm going, we're in with a chance. He I mean, please please, because it's it's the dreaded, it's the dreaded well, I don't know what you call it, but we're carrying it. New Zealand's carrying it and we're not that bad as a cricketing nation. When we used to talk the lowest ten score and I'm going, oh, please, can we can? We can we get through that? And then and then I'm and then I'm and so I had to go on and then because it was on live TV here had to go and watch it. And it was like torture.
Speaker 3: You realize of course they're squit. They're sweating blood on the Caribbean. Now they want everybody, they want everybody's head, and no one's prepared to give their head.
Speaker 2: Of course, not of course not, but but but can I just come back to the point around around at the West Indian Cricket, I'll tell you what that And Jerry's right, my lord, there are some very very good quick bowlers there. I love that. Pity the banning out so good. That said, though I didn't see too much from the Australian banning lineups. I did see and much of my line and from a lot of people. Cameron Green at three gas sing it out and getting quite important runs at two and at three you know, forty and a thirty odd which when you when you when you back it all up, a kind of really important runs top of the order. But it looked horrendous to play there at a dark ball, and I'm not sure the lights were particularly effective. It looked horrible and scary, you know, when you've got these quick bottles coming in and I saw carrying it. It whacked in the noggin and I thought, my lord, he didn't see it. And he's a good player.
Speaker 3: Jerry, you got a Denton you left forum, haven't you from Savannah Park?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I do on left arm, yeah, Joel Garner, that was my mistake. It was a day game, so I couldn't complain about that. It was a red ball, so that was a bit different.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So yeah, I just couldn't couldn't pick up the bat and have any strength, And so I had to leave the game at that point and went to the first hospital. It was closed, and so I was sitting in the back of the car with a sort of a pad, you know, just around my arm and that sort of thing. And that we went to the second hospital and that one was open, which was good. Orthopedics was working that day, and so I remember driving past the car park and there was a little sign on the outside guard dogs operating, and I thought to myself, hell's bells. I was sure as hell, hope they'd been trained. And in we went. In we went, and this little kid came up to me walking through the car park.
Speaker 4: And he said, Kune you sign and.
Speaker 5: He had his little he added a little autograph book with him and I said, yeah, certainly, son popped on the broken arm here.
Speaker 4: And so.
Speaker 5: I was looking through and flicking through it and there was you know, there was gatting.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, you know it did. Yeah, Oh yes, sir.
Speaker 5: And then you know Umran Khan over the page Alan border, that sort of thing. I said, oh, you like your cricket son. He said, yes, Sir. I said, you obviously get down to Sabina Parker. But no, shir, they all come here sometime.
Speaker 4: Oh, there we are.
Speaker 5: My name, my name joined the other one. So I went in the Yeah. So that was the end of my tour. And you remember that really nice interview I gave you wads that lasted about an hour and a half later.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and only asked one question. What I remember is you killed you killed the pain with a bath full of booze and asked me to join you every hour. Are in the middle of the night. Never forget it, Never forget it. You won't forget either. Jerry talking about Constance dropping a catch. India might have won that Test match if they hadn't led twenty five buys through in the England second and things. They were a wonder game quite comfortably. They wouldn't have been chasing that many, would they?
Speaker 5: No, that's true. Thirty thirty runs wads in both innings sixty extras. But you're right about the buys. Some of them were pretty tough, weren't they. Remember punt was off the field most of the game that that rule came in a few years ago. Now that you know that you can replace your keeper.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but the ball swings at Lord's, doesn't it?
Speaker 5: After it pitchres and goes past the stumps, and it can be quite tricky. But you would have thought if they could have saved a few there. And I wonder whether the umpires do just to bring.
Speaker 2: For a lot of people who have never stood behind the stuff mumps, A lot of people our listeners will be those. Can you explain that? Because it is really disconcerting because the ball literally wobbles, doesn't it.
Speaker 4: It does two things. It can do two things.
Speaker 5: Moose the first thing it can do and the obvious one that was happening at.
Speaker 4: Lord's as it pictures.
Speaker 5: Quite often it'll straighten the seam up as it lands on the ground, and as it passes the stumps, it's actually still moving towards the keeper, of course, and it starts to swing and it swings usually away from the keeper. And so the keepers were outside of stump but swinging away to the leg side and they just can't get there and so often you will get a resulting four buys. The other thing it can do, and it did it at Christich actually did it quite a lot Lancaster Park when it was called that it would come and it would go up and down as well. After it came through past the batsman, it would actually dip and then go up and down. And I remember Wally Lees broke a finger and he hated that. That was worse, he said, than having the ball swing away from him, it going up and down because you think you've lined it up to catch it and suddenly it's in a different position but still coming.
Speaker 4: Straight at you.
Speaker 5: So those are the two things that can happen at pace and at pace, you're right, so quite tricky to stop those. But you know a few just got under the glove and things like that, and that would have certainly helped.
Speaker 4: There's that wadds And.
Speaker 5: If I could just quickly just mention and it may lead us on to another topic.
Speaker 4: But look, there are rules fellas.
Speaker 5: There are rules in place for five penalty runs. There are rules that the umpires can create if the stock pokers finished, you can give you can warn the fielding side for not being quick enough and award five penalty.
Speaker 4: Runs to the opposition.
Speaker 5: There are rules as well where if you warn for wasting time, there are rules about you can then warn them and then result with five penalty runs. Now a few of those, and there were plenty of opportunities. I can tell you in that last game you could easily get up to twenty twenty five runs. So there's another area I reckon could have been used.
Speaker 3: They seem not to care the overrates come up. It was commented on on a number of occasions. Day one eighty three overs, Day two seventy two, Day three seventy seven, Day four seventy nine, they all went to extra time. Yes there was an inning change in there, but they they don't care about the spectator, the person who pays. And I read where somebody had paid three hundred pounds to have a day's cricket. That's a lot of money for two people to go to a day's cricket and say they get seventy two overs. They're not getting their money's worth, and the administrators don't care, or they don't seem to moose.
Speaker 2: I'm hearing you, and I want to agree with a lot of what you're saying there. That said, I reckon. The people on day five were on the edge of their seats with every.
Speaker 4: Ball being bold.
Speaker 2: They everyone loves all the niggle that happened through this Test match. They love the teapot from various people teapots plural, the winging and the complaining and the legle and a certain extent. And we're talking about over eight. But what we were looking at was an absolute content there, an absolute contest. And it was not only a contest in terms of the cricket.
Speaker 6: It was.
Speaker 2: The classic things that my god, we would see that plane. I don't know two day cracket and god knows where in New Zealand where someone's delaying to not bold, to overs. This has happened from time memorial. So part of me says, I agree with you about over eight. But we were all locked into this. We loved it, and that last day it was mesmerizing stuff. And Jerry to have been commentating that and watching every ball and if you're at the ground, it must have been fantastic.
Speaker 4: Jerry, Yeah, good day, a good day.
Speaker 5: Also the fifth day, of course, they dropped those prices to about five quid for a child and about twe he quit, I think for an adult. So it was like those things in Wimbledon when you get rain and suddenly they have to play on the Sunday.
Speaker 4: You know, and then and all the people, you.
Speaker 5: Know, they dropped the prices and suddenly it's the it's the day of the people.
Speaker 4: They come in.
Speaker 5: It's and and it was there was cheering and it was a different kind of atmosphere at Lord's in that last day because of that.
Speaker 2: Must have been fantastic. Yep.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 5: As far as as far as the the overs and things like that are concerned, for me, I just think the players well, that the umpires have lost control on the field.
Speaker 4: They've lost control.
Speaker 5: Whether it's a drink breaks or scheduled drink breaks, if there's an injury, to change the ball, all those kinds of things. We've tried fines, we've tried suspensions to caps and things.
Speaker 4: We've tried to stop clock.
Speaker 5: But the fact of it is people in colored vests run onto the field at a moment's notice and they you know, they are circling the boundary the umpires allow them on. Now there's no reason for that. They wander over and they stand beside the players having a drink ten minutes after they've just come back from lunch, and they allow them.
Speaker 4: To do it.
Speaker 5: The players take no notice, they ignore them. So off comes the helmet, on goes the towel. I'll have some batting gloves.
Speaker 4: Bring that.
Speaker 5: Someone else brings that on and there's nothing going on. They're taking no notice from the umpire. There's no warning given they're wasting time. They don't need those things, to be honest, after ten minutes, you can't tell me that they need a drink. After ten minutes, when the Tour de France riders and ride up a bloody hill, you know that that's it's that's just not needed. And so that's as far as scheduled drink breaks. Yes, but especially when it's warm, give them another minute, but not consistently on and off all the time. Yes, sugmun Gil went down on his went down and lay on the ground and got a.
Speaker 4: Rub about five minutes. Yeah, got a rub.
Speaker 5: Do you know why he's having the rub? K l Ra Hall had would not have opened because he had been off the field unless he had got up to that time. And this is ridiculous these things. If you have an injury, you leave the field and bring someone on, you leave the field. And the last one is you know the obviously. I mean, I just think these things have got to stop. So umpires have lost control yep.
Speaker 3: And the interesting thing is England lost two points from the Test Match Championship Indian none. They were both as bad as each other and both should have been penalized from the Test Match Championship points situation.
Speaker 2: What does that say?
Speaker 3: That could open up a whole can of worms.
Speaker 4: Yeah, another three programs.
Speaker 2: I just leave it at that. And here's the reason why is because we know where the control of the of the game is and we're seeing a player. But I just I just think, yeah, are we going to solve this? Other powers have begin to solve us? No, they not. What I am seeing though, is compelling, absolutely compelling cricket which is going to five days and we're all drawn into it now. That can only be a good thing.
Speaker 5: I'd like to just say something about I mean, just very quickly, guys, in the decades between the forties and fifties, there were eighteen and a half to nineteen overs in our being bold. Currently there are thirteen to fourteen. The runs per hour that was scored in nineteen forty nineteen fifty are now currently the same as we are scoring off the less overs exactly the same. So what we've had is we are getting five overs less than the nineteen forties and fifties and the same number of runs. We've replaced five overs of dots from the forties and fifties that were bold with dawdling with dawdling.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 5: Some moose's argument is the same as I've heard as well, which is a reasonable one. There's more entertainment now. We're getting more entertainment than we would have gotten earlier on.
Speaker 2: People wanting it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 5: But I imagine if you'd got those extra five overs, how much more entertainment we would have. And if you're paying, as you did in the Compton stand one hundred and seventy five pounds for a six for that last game, you may feel a bit different about that.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I can't comment because I wasn't.
Speaker 2: I agree with you. I agree with you around this whole point. There is no reason for all this to be happening, but it is a much more entertaining or enjoyable experience. That said, though there is no reason for the lays. I think it's self indulgence by a lot of the creck it is. There's a bit of Prima Donna stuff goes on, which I find quite annoying. But I think the spectacle compared to your Barrington's of the days, who would block it for two days to get god knows what you know eighty I think that the game is in some ways improved. We've got better fielders and more spectacular things happening. I do not excuse the fact. I just struggle with the fact that I don't think things are going to change because of who's running the show, and that is my point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well you've got a fair point there, and it's something that won't die just because we've brought up the issue. It's a big issue around the world, and well we just have to agree, wait and see whether the administrators would do.
Speaker 1: Brian Waddell, Jeremy Coney on the front foot.
Speaker 3: Cub cricketers across the country airing their concerns at a new charge, the NZCA plans to levy that's to help fund digital enhancements and it's going to be seven dollars fifty introduced for all registered players. It's the first time New Zealand Cricket has introduced a direct levy at community level and it'll be charged once per player per season. The new charts that are on top of everything else cricketers need to pay for playing the sport has attracted some widespread criticism to gage the feeling in the regions. We're joined by the chair of Buller Cricket, Kevin Scanlon. Kevin, thanks for your time. What's your reaction to the proposed levey.
Speaker 7: Well, certainly initially frustration. The most common complaint we hear during a cricket season is play HQ. People found it very easy to use Cricket HQ, but many have never actually come to grips with play HQ, despite association buying iPads and training. Last season we actually went back the school books for club cricket and loaded games when they were finished because it was the safest way. It's so hard when you have casual players who struggle, you struggle to get to register and certainly not interested in learning how to use it. So there is a continual problem during games of skill levels and problems with tech technology and the result frustration. Some of those players just want to have a game with their mates in reality. Then on the other side of that, there is players who are serious cricketers, are interested in their stats. Somehow, between all that we need to have we need all of them to have a game of cricket. It just becomes very time consuming and another pressure point on our limited resources. And I expect this work globe will increase as a result of the changes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I hear that from other areas the country. To have you taken the issue up with New Zealand Cricket in terms of your objections.
Speaker 7: No, I haven't taken it up with NZC. It's a decision for the association to make on how we handle it and it will be on our agenda for our next meeting. We are only told late last week and I'm not sure on how the association will decide to handle it. One thing we don't want it is to be a distraction for the rest of our programs. The feedback I have had on a few cricketers that I've brought up with has been more on the negative side by a large way than the positives, to be fair, and I.
Speaker 2: Find it very frustrating.
Speaker 7: The way it has been announced, no sort of warning and commitment, a huge commitment obviously made by NZC to play HQ, and we've got no idea on how we're going to manage it at the stage.
Speaker 3: You said that players or last year you went back to scoring without the laptops and stuff. Is what is likely to happen if players reject the levey that you'd have to go back and do that or are you going to have to live with it?
Speaker 7: Well, we've still got even when we load it in score box, if a player isn't registered, you can't put a name to the score, so you have to fill it in as a fill in player. And of course one of the difficulties we have is getting players to register. I'm going to do it and I can't be bothered or whatever. So they've got the reason themselves. Now they've got to pay as well, so I suspect we'll have a few more full in players. Defeats the payments of the program, really yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Can the game afford to pay the levy? Do you think it's you know, it's just another cost, isn't it?
Speaker 2: It is another cost?
Speaker 7: And what is quite an expensive game to play and to provide facilities for who knows if where we can afford to pay the or afford the program from my perspective, sorry, from a financial point of view, and usum a cricklar charging for it, so you would have to assume there's quite a bit of pressure going on their finances and you might think that the fee is not much to pay. But if you have three or four family members playing the game, and then maybe dads or moms are volunteer for as a team manager or a coach and stumping up for the kids on top of that, and we're using them as well, it seems like another stab in the back and reality and if you took that money. I did a little exercise. I looked up Dr Google and Doctor Google tells me there's one hundred thousand registered crickets is in New Zealand and been taking a conservative figure, say fifty thousand using playhq.
Speaker 2: There's over five years.
Speaker 7: That's two million that the community is going to contribute to this app, which raises the question of a we have no ability on how the money is being spent. Apart from that we've got a playhq app, we have no idea what the total cost of the program. Is we no idea what New Zealand Cricket's paying on top of that? And then at five years, what is going to the effort? What is going to happen is what is the charge going to double? Is it going to be less or we have no idea.
Speaker 2: You have to wonder.
Speaker 7: Whether they've tried to find a sponsor to sort of finance it. And then you sort of ask yourself, well, do we need all the bells and whistles, because obviously it's going to be used as a feeding program for information from ENZC, from the majors, from even our own local association, if you had someone schooled enough to do it. But do we need all that and how much does it actually costing? We've got no idea And at the end of the day, we just want people to play cricket. If we spend all this money, is it going to increase numbers of people playing or keep people in the game.
Speaker 2: That's the question I would always ask.
Speaker 3: And finally, Kevin, I imagine that Buller has a fairly tight budget in terms of everything you spend your money on to faster cricket and develop it in your region.
Speaker 7: Exactly, we are for with a smallert association. I believe in New Zealand And we are relatively well off financially, but that's been built on years of voluntary efforts. Like we've never had a CEO, it's always been done voluntary. We've never paid for a secretary. In recent years, everything that we've done has been on a voluntary basis, and that is one of the reasons why we're financially comfortable with some reserves, and those reserves have been used over the years to help subsidize the game with the interest that they have earned. But it's all built on a voluntary basis, with working bees, with fundraising of our own yes, so it's not built on a model like New Zealand Crickets now asking for savings in the game, and I'm sure every association is. Gerane's going to work hard to try and find some savings in the game. I'm just not quite sure where we're going to find out. To be fair, isolation is a problem for us. We travel a lot. We don't have access easily to resources that place us closer to the bigger cities do so it's a struggle at times to be fair.
Speaker 3: Thanks Kevin, It's proving unpopular quite clearly and up in the North Island. How has it been received? Craig Finlay of Hawks Bay Cricket joins on the front foot. Has it been received in the Hawks Bakery?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's only just come out, we'll see. We found out a few weeks ago and I approached New Zealand Cricket about it, and you know, I thought there would be a few issues going on, and now our clubs and everybody else has been informed and I've got a few emails come through already and asking me what what we can do, and I have replied that, yeah, it's it's something that New Zealand Cricket have decided to do and that we'll we will be having to with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The interesting thing is I hear from other associations that there's been a lack of consultation and there's been no opportunity to do anything about it.
Speaker 2: Yet.
Speaker 3: You know, the community game needs to be consulted on issues like this because it has far reaching effects, doesn't it.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 6: I mean that's right. We're in the community game, we run it, and there could have been other ways that we might have looked at supporting it, because yeah, I mean, if there's if you have to fund something and we have to do that down the track, and we may have some other ideas and how we can support our community because ye as they registered this year, each player will no doubt go on and see this as a as a fee and I think, what's going on here? What are we going to get out of this? And yeah, I know, I mean that there are huge benefits and digital programs and so on, and we've been we were one of the original ones with cricket Q and that helped our association and cut down management accompetation management and give us a lot of pluses. So it is essential for community cricket. But yeah, it's it's I suppose it's the way we find out.
Speaker 3: Play HQ basically replaced Cricket HQ and it's been a costly conversion as such by for New Zealand cricket. But I understand that Cricket HQ have a system that will likely deal with the issues that the players and the association's need.
Speaker 6: Yes, they've they're still there there, they're doing some work behind the scenes and there's I do keep in touch with that company because we had along serving relationship with them and there are potential, there's potential there that they've got everything that could come into news to help out community cricket. Obviously we've got at the stage where with play HQ and New Zealand Cricket have got that relationship there, so it'll be you know, it'll be interesting to see what CRICKETSQ have to offer when it does come out. Yeah.
Speaker 3: The interesting thing, of course is that it's something that cricket doesn't need in terms of administration, structure and issues with New Zealand Cricket. Do you see a way through this consultation? I guess is the first thing that cricket needs to have and New Zealand Cricket needs to respect that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we've got good relationship with Central Districts Crew in New Zealand Cricket Week. We work closely with them because you want to. It's just I suppose you get a bit of a surprise when things like that can impact the community game. And I hope it doesn't put a barrier for people joining and playing for Cricket club. You'd hope that doesn't happen. But again, cricket has been battling a little bit over the last few years for playing numbers and in one more barrier might stop players from registering. I'm hoping that's not the case because we yeah, we've got we have a great product and crickets are pretty popular around the world at the moment, so we need it to be a seamless uh. I suppose transition if they of all the things that play HQ in using on creative setup it's going to do, you'd hope that it comes it comes with no speed bumps.
Speaker 3: So an interesting situation that has created a problem for the administrators and the complaints from the administrators and the players is that it's been made compulsory and there's been no consultation. It's not right. Cricket administrators should at least consult with the people that they want to install these programs. What's your view.
Speaker 2: Most I'm quite perplexed by this because is a sport, it's voluntaries and there's people that play it. But to have a fees enforced on you from a above somewhat in a Soviet Russian pot of bureau fashion, it is objectionable, particularly when we've seen something which was otherwise available. This is now god knows where it is previous service perfectly fine at the time, called crick HQ, and I believe that that's it's gone is.
Speaker 4: Gone, it's.
Speaker 3: It's looking to come back as a man who runs cricket HQ has a program that could continue what was done previously.
Speaker 2: Look, I'm sure that's right, but that's that's some time away. But it just seemed to me to be Terremy owver rest on on on the game where a previous service was available and didn't This didn't need to happen. So why is it all of a sudden that that a livy has been being placed on on cricketers when we want to encourage and make it easy for people to play the game. So ways of the service needs this questions? Where is? Where is? Where is? Inzed c answer this question? I mean, hello, Scott Whenek. I mean, you're a good blog, but you've got you've gone missing on these sorts of things and a few other things I might add too. I don't want to be controversial, but but you thinks you're losing a lot of your people doing this sort of stuff.
Speaker 5: Well, from what I've heard, I haven't obviously used either of those systems that you're referring to, you know, the cricket HQ and now the play HQ it is regarded. I think the play h Q is quite an opaque system. It's very hard to work, and they've even had training for people.
Speaker 4: Now I'm not sure.
Speaker 5: Club players who are going to be scoring their own cricket. I thought the guy scanning was actually bang on and a lot of the points that he made. The last time I saw club cricket, it was actually in a pub and the club captain the night before, on a Friday night, was ringing round trying to get players to play for various teams for his club the next day.
Speaker 4: And you know, he was really working hard, you know.
Speaker 5: And you think those players he gets are going to go on a register. Of course they're not. Of course they're not. They're going to play with their mates. They're going to, you know, play because the guys ask them nicely or whatever it is. That's the reality of it. Club cricket is hard nowadays. You're already paying for subs, and you're paying for gear, and you're paying to get to the ground and you're traveling and all those things. Doesn't sound like seven fifty, does it. But for the next five years. But I'll tell you what. It's something we could do without, I would suggest. And it's making I guess a lot of people pretty frustrated.
Speaker 2: And when a cricket bat costs you a lot of money. Now I can't remember what the numbers are, but they are ordinary. Is this is becoming not a game for your average person. There are some people your own bloody beat.
Speaker 3: Well, there are some people who can't afford. But you imagine a father will say two three kids at school. This is we're talking about college kids. He's he's up for thirty bucks a year. And as Scanlon said, you know the female go up. No one knows where this is going to go. But it's being made compulsory to register and not optional. And I think that's the difference between crick HQ, which was going to be optional. This is going to get a little bit wider because I can see a lot of people kicking up against this.
Speaker 4: Disagree with that. Wads can't disagree with that.
Speaker 5: It needs a lot more discussion, I think before it actually is implemented.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, we'll be looking for that discussion through the week because I'm going to get hold of Peter dah crickethsq Man and see if he can put some light onto what crickets Q have done and what they've got available, because the compulsory aspect is not what cricket wants in the game. Who's going to look after the checking to see whether people are registered? Do you know what they call them now? They call them fill ins? And you know that's going to be where it sits. We'll get unto it next week. I'm sure we can find room for that. If you can find time to.
Speaker 2: Join us, Moose, I'll be there, good boy.
Speaker 4: Jeremy, bring your bear obs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll have mine on too. Jerry, where will you be hiding this time? Next week?
Speaker 4: I'll be around. I don't see that.
Speaker 5: I'm not doing the Manchester Test, so that it's the one after that I do the Oval, so that's not till the thirty first of July.
Speaker 3: Oh good, oh? Will you be able to put your feet up?
Speaker 4: And what what are you?
Speaker 3: What are they drinking over there?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: Is it Chaddie's or ceblank?
Speaker 5: You always do this. I'm finding enough shady ones. Thank you very much, indeed I am.
Speaker 1: I say you.
Speaker 4: Do it.
Speaker 5: You won't believe this fellas I got sent a photo yesterday from a guy from Surrey and he said, I've just seen this and it was a shot from the pub you know where you get all the ones where they pour the pint. And there's a new one from New York called Coney. I can't believe it.
Speaker 4: I can't believe.
Speaker 5: I said that should be a shardonay. I'm sure there's some shardonay in there.
Speaker 3: I think I think we'll all go to New York and buy a Coney, shall we. All right, don't forget your beerra next week, Jerry, because Moose will have hers and I'll have mine, so it'll be good to join together. And you know, we've already got issues that we can discuss next week, including another Test match, and of course the New Zealand team having won their first game in Zimbabwe.
Speaker 2: Plenty plenty to talk about. It's great, it's great stuff.
Speaker 5: Yep, thanks you boys, good one. Take care of you guys, look after yourself. You're looking bloody cold over the.
Speaker 4: Oh dear.
Speaker 5: All right, French CHHQ will be French CHHQ with our bearings on a next next week.
Speaker 4: All right, let's go for it.
Speaker 5: Kis all good, beatiful summer.
Speaker 1: For more from News Talks, it' b listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on iHeartRadio