Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Francisco Budkin and I'm Louise Arii and welcome to the first episode of season six of our New Zealand Here podcast, The Little Thing's Good to have you with us. It is good to be back season six exciting goodness me and this podcast.
Speaker 2: We talk to experts.
Speaker 1: We find out all the little things you need to know to improve different areas of your life. We can't throw all the confusion and overload of the information out there to kind of help simplify life and hopefully have a little bit of fun while we're.
Speaker 3: Doing exactly So, how was your summer alone?
Speaker 2: Nice and simple?
Speaker 1: You know it wasn't gosh.
Speaker 2: You keep me very.
Speaker 3: Entertained over the summer as we followed you and your car and your caravan as you tour it around the South Island.
Speaker 1: Yeah, here's a life hack. Okay, okay, just listen up. Do not toe a caravan or boat behind a fully electric vehicle. Not yet anyway. Maybe I don't know, Maybe infrastructure will be there entire years to come.
Speaker 3: I say this lovingly, but is it that you know caravan's put a toll on evs and you just naturally find yourself kind of running out of battery and then have to ditch a caravan and drive off to the nearest town.
Speaker 2: Or did you guys not really manage it? No, we did it.
Speaker 1: My husband apparently did an awful lot of research. It was pretty confident. Yeah, just didn't work out that way. Look, it's all fine. We got to our destinations. We have seen the absolute best of this country. We have not done a roady like that in such a long time. The fairy was great. Everything about it was absolutely amazing. So I do the upsiders. I would encourage anybody to, if they haven't done a roady for a while, to just go out and look at the absolute beauty that we have outside of our main centers.
Speaker 3: And twenty twenty six started well for you and the family sure did.
Speaker 1: Yep, just back from a beautiful family wedding. It's all been very kind of surreal and lovely. What about you, well.
Speaker 3: Twenty twenty six marks a little bit of a change in our household. So I am no longer the parent of school children. That's right, which is I know some people feel a little emotional and quite sad that that phase of their life might be over, But it's been nineteen years and I've loved it and made the most of it, but I am very ready to move on. So that's very exciting. So ones at university and Auckland, ones at University in Canterbury, and our youngest also just got their driver's license, so now they are independent. You know, you're no longer driving them to dance classes and various other things. So it's quite exciting. But there's so much time in the day. I am a little bit taken back at how much time there is in the day which I can now work and be productive and do things, which.
Speaker 2: Is a good thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but also I'm not quite match fit to make the most of it. But I am very much looking forward to having more time time to do more things, to learning new things or doing things with my partner or you know, just.
Speaker 2: Been able to put yourself first a little.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 1: I know, as we all know, the kids don't stop needing you and we don't stop providing for them. But it's not the same time crunch, is it. So yeah, you're doing things for them, mostly giving them money to be having long anguish conversations with the mother phone about something, but it's not the day to day stuff. But take ups and the drop offs and they.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I also think as parents we should actually give ourselves a few more pats on the back more often when you hit milestones like this, because educating a child does not always straightforward. It can be a roller coaster of a ride. There can be issues, academic issues, environmental issues, social issues, all sorts of things. And you have supported and nurtured that child through that process for actually a substantial period of time, thirteen years each. You've got three kids like you you're doing it for.
Speaker 2: You're just going on and on and on.
Speaker 3: And actually, I think while it is wonderful to see them moving on to their next stage of their lives and being independent and taking steps forward as well, sometimes I think as parents we don't stop and kind of give ourselves a little bit of a pad on the back, a little bit of credit. We're going, Actually, we did that, we got through. You know, sometimes it is worth just stopping for a moment and kind of going, yeah.
Speaker 1: Look, I've just been an absolutely amazing weekend with my or my nephews and nieces and they're all adults, and they're all beautiful, and they've all come through, and yeah, no, I think we you know that is credit to the appearance and the extended family support and all of that kind of thing.
Speaker 3: But a change out this can also be a bit difficult on a relationship. Right, Like you had kids, You've had busy lives. Your kids are part of your day to day life, and all of a sudden as they sort of start to leave, well they do become more independent. Relationship kind of changes as well. You find yourself sort of sitting on the couch up at your partner going, oh, it's just you and I home tonight.
Speaker 2: You know, we're just just us.
Speaker 1: So one thing we are going to talk about this season is how our relationship adjusts to the empty nest and how we you know, move on in a new sort of stage and phase in a relationship, which and I'm quite looking forward to talking about that.
Speaker 2: We'll do that this season.
Speaker 1: It's definitely not just picking up where you left off before your children. It's a completely different setting it even ones in different places, aren't they. And we've all learn learnt so much and been through so much.
Speaker 2: What are you what else are you keen to talk about this season?
Speaker 1: Well, I've had a few people approach me about talking about becoming a widow or a widow were we have talked about separation and divorce, but that is not a subject we've touched on before. And I actually think that's really important. My own father found himself a widower at in his mid forties with five children. My goodness, my brother also found himself for whatever, and I have friends who are widows, and I just think it is something we we ought to address because we're going to know somebody or it's going to happen to us or whatever. I just think it's another area that we should touch on, not in a super doomy, gloomy way. You know, there's some there's some recovery and joy and the process. I'm also keen to talk about some less serious topics, like what the heck's going on with everybody going skinny? That's a bit weird.
Speaker 3: Oh did you watch any of the awards ceremonies at the beginning of the year.
Speaker 1: And the globes just freaking me out.
Speaker 2: I couldn't actually want people.
Speaker 3: Who were small are now tiny. It's and it's I find it's so upsetting and so frustrating. I mean, we're both officially still got teenage daughters, and I thought we were through this. I thought we had sort of passed that period of time.
Speaker 2: What was it?
Speaker 3: The cape Moss said, nothing tastes as good as skinny feels, and I thought we were through this and that, you know, we were all a little bit more bodify, I know, and.
Speaker 1: It has been in my mind. I've seen that as well, something else that we were both really keen to talk about. This season, we always do an episode of nutrition, So we're going to kick off the season by talking about ultra process foods because I don't know if you noticed, but there seems to be endless headlines over summer about ultra process foods, what you should and shouldn't be eating. Yeah, I mean, neither of us are into dieting, and we believe your diet can't be perfect all the time, but we are interested in having a clearer picture of how to eat for our health and what we should be more mindful of consuming. So you know, when it comes to process and ultra process food, what's okay and what should we actively avoid.
Speaker 3: So today, Professor Sarah Berry is with us. Sarah is a professor in the Department of Nutritional Sciences at King's College, London, and she is the chief scientist at ZOE. You may be familiar with ZOE. They work to dispel nutrition myths and misinformation, and we've been really lucky enough to speak with founder Tim Spector and US medical director Will Bolschwitz in previous episodes. Definitely with the listen. Sarah is at the forefront of developments and personal nutrition and has been in charge of some of the world's largest human nutrition studies. Her work explores how foods impact metabolism, fat storage, and long term health. And doctor Sarah Berry is with us. Thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 4: Welcome pleasure, Thank you for having me. We're in totally different time zones here. It's my Friday evening, and I'm looking forward to a nice glass of wine after this.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm looking forward to a last cup of coffee after this.
Speaker 3: I know I'm sorry that we're holding you back from that glass of wine for just a little bit longer, but we really do appreciate your time. Wondering if we can start with quite a broad question, could you just explain to us what our processed and ultra processed foods.
Speaker 4: I kind of think that's a million dollar question, because if I'm to go into a supermarket and identify is that an ultra process food? Even though I've been a nutitional scientist for twenty five yearsly struggle, So I think let's strip it back to the basics. A process food is basically any kind of food that has gone through some sort of processing. So it could be the fact that you've just cooked your carrots. You know that's a form of processing because you've cooked them. But in the current food landscape that we live in, we are actually used the term very differently, and we typically use it in the context of a classification system called the NOVA classification system, which allocates a classifier according to whether it's unprocessed, minimally processed. A processed culinary ingredient like a sort of spice or something, or oil or something that's called an ultra processed food, And an ultra processed food is a classification system from this system called NOVA. It's a NOVA for food. But it's a term that's really taken off because it's been used in a lot of nutrition research in order to class apply foods that have been heavily processed. But I think what's really really important to remember in the whole discussion of ultra process food. And when we look at the evidence and we look at these scary headlines that are often out there about food processing, is the term ultraprocessed food is specific to this classification system, and this classification system is based on the extent and the purpose of processing is a system that was never designed to look at how processing might impact our health. And so we see, for example, in the UK, the US, Australia is becoming quite similar in New Zealand as well, that about sixty percent of our food comes from this ultra process food. But it's such a huge category, and you have within this category of or classification of ultra process food some that, yes, are really bad, but some that aren't so bad. So I think we kind of need to take a step back and think, really, what is set about food processing that's bad in order for us to identify what we should be avoiding and what we shouldn't be avoiding.
Speaker 1: You made a really good point there by saying it's it's not necessarily that, like you say, all processed foods has been. It's what which ones in what type of processing is having an inpect on our health, right because originally, you know, we evolved into processing foods for storage and and to feed a growing population and all that sort of thing, didn't we How has it evolved from there?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Absolutely, And I think that's a really important point, Lou that you make, is that processing came about for the good. It's enabled us to produce enough food for our growing population. It's enabled us to produce food that is shelf stable and that is safe for us to consume. It's also enables us to really maximize the the food from the crops that are out there and so forth, and also enables us to produce food that is a lot cheaper. And there's some fantastic research that was recently published showing that if you look at all of the food that are in US supermarkets, what you see is an ultra processed or heavily processed version versus a minimally processed version has about a fifty percent price differential, meaning, for example, if you take a bread that a minimally processed, more kind of Artisian style bread is actually about fifty percent more expensive than one of the mass produced breads that would be classed as ultra process And they saw this across all of the different food groups, whether it was yogurts, whether it's pastries, whether it's meat based products, etc. So we do need to be mindful that again in this kind of demonization of ultra process food, in this scare mongering that you see out there, that processing does have a really important purpose and it does enable us to also consume food that is more affordable for many people. So what we need to do is work on identifying which of those foods are particularly bad for us, because our research that we've done at Zoe actually shows that it's probably only about twenty percent of our energy that's coming from processed foods that we know are particularly unfavorable for our health.
Speaker 2: So which ones are they?
Speaker 4: Well, we do have a Zoe app that allows people to have look and unfortunately it's not available yet in New Zealand, but it's very much dependent on the brand of the food and so and the kind of brands that you have in the US. In New Zealand, sorry, it will be very different to the kind of brands we have or we have in the US. So I think the important thing is being able to help people identify what is it about food in the way it's processed that makes it unhealthy. But it's really really difficult, and it's really difficult because processing impacts the healthfulness of food, not just through the additives and emulsifiers that everyone's talking about, but actually through lots of other mechanisms. So we know that when you process food, and there's lots of different ways we can process food, whether it's through heat processes, whether it's through physical disruption of the food structure, whether it's through predigesting the food. You know, there's so many different ways that you can process the food. But what we know is that impacts certain features that are related to health. Firstly, we know that typically heavily processed foods tends to have less nutritious nutrients or less healthy nutrients. By this, it tends to have less fiber, it tends to have more unhealthy nutrients, so it tends to have more salt, more saturated fat, more sugar. It also tends to have less bioactives. And these are chemicals that are found in foods that we know have really magical properties in improving our health. So you might have heard a polyph phenols for example, it comes from dark figmented pigmented berries, you know, and these have really fantastic properties in terms of you know, acting on anti inflammatory pathways and so forth. So processed foods tend to have less of those bioactives as well, they tend to have less nutritious nutrients. Then they do tend to have lots of additives, lots of emulsifiers. So yes, you can look at the back of pack and you can look at two foods and you could say, whoa, hold on, here's a peanut butter. Here's one that just literally has peanuts, maybe a pinch of salt and a pinch of sugar. And then here's a peanut butter like in the America, for example, as Reese's peanut butter, which unfortunately my kids love. You know, yes, it's got about thirty ingredients. It's got loads of E numbers, which are basically numbers that are allocated to emulsifiers and additives. So that gives you a good hint that hold on, maybe that's not so healthy. But in my opinion, that's only part of the picture, and that we need to look at other features. One of those features is hyperpalatability, which is basically how tasty that food is. And another feature is the food structure, the food matrix, which is destroyed in processing, which impacts how fast you eat that food, where the nutrients are absorbed, how much of the nutrients you're absorbed in.
Speaker 1: So much more have our palets changed, though, I mean, I'm curious about that phrase hyperpalatability, because have we been somehow you know, so exposed for so long to processed foods and added salt, metatugar and things like that that we've you know, that would have to remove ourselves completely to sort of reset our palets.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that's a really interesting question, and I think it's it's true that, you know, the food that we're now exposed to you is not the food that we have physiologically been evolved to handle. The rate at which the food is changing, you know, it is so fast we cannot evolve at the same rate that the food landscape is changing that the processing techniques are changing. And there's many many foods now that are designed by the food industry to have a mix of nutrients that we know bypass our natural physiological, neurological responses. So these are foods that will be particularly high in maybe salt and sugar, or salt and fat, or fat and sugar that you wouldn't typically find in nature. So let's take crisps for example. Crisps have a reasonable amount of fat and they have a reasonable amount of salt. Now, you wouldn't typically find that same amount of salt and that same amount of fat in a natural product that's not naturally in the potatoes. But by putting them together, it's almost kind of like bypasses our natural sensory system that tells us, well, hold on, you've eaten enough, you don't need anymore. Instead, what it's doing is activating the reward system in our brain, a bit like giving us some kind of mini dopamine hits and saying, oh my god, this is so tasty. Keep eating, keep eating, keep eating, so that you tend to over eat hyper palatable foods. And there's quite a bit of evidence showing that, yes, you tend to overeat them, and people that have more of these hyper palatable foods put on more weight. And so I think that's one really interesting area where you know, we're now so accustomed to having these foods that what do we do, How do we go back to experiencing pleasure from that potato, for example, without all of that salt? And there are studies showing that yes, you can retrain your taste fuds, et cetera. But what's difficult is when you go into your supermarket, when you go to your corner shop or your high street and everything there or what we know in the UK and the US, for example, is about sixty percent and I don't know in that their stats in New Zealand, but sixty percent of the food is probably hyper palatable. And so when you're faced with all of this, it's really difficult to make those healthy choices and think, oh my gosh, I know that's tasty, but hey, let me try and find something that's less tasty, because I know it's for healthy. I can't be that good. I tell you what, when I have my wine after this, I'll be some nice salt and vinegar crisps with it.
Speaker 2: I just love that expression. Palatable.
Speaker 3: I'm going to get you know, ex time someone got to be meal our God, this is hyper palatable.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Hey, we should probably talk about about why we're actually even talking about ultra process foods in the first place, and the impact that they have on our health and our metabolism. I mean, what do we know about the impact that they're having on us.
Speaker 4: So you'll probably see every day in the newspaper there's a different headline saying ultra process foods they're killing us. They're causing everything from as i'monster cancer to heart disease, to diabetes, everything you name it, it's linked with. Yes, we know the ultra process food are unhealthy for us. Yes, there's lots of evidence showing their link to increase risk of all of these different chronic diseases. But I think what we need to be mindful of is the evidence is typically coming from either these longitudinal studies or cross sexual studies where you take large populations, you follow them over a period of time, you look at what their diet is at you know, maybe five ten year intervals, and then you look who goes on to get what type of disease. Now, that's a really important way that we get a first hint of what's going on in terms of diet and in terms of disease. But for that kind of research, we typically use food frequency questionnaires, which asks quite crude questions. So it would ask, for example, do you have peanut butter or not. It wouldn't say do you have recess peanut butter or this healthy peanut butter. It can't differentiate between brands. So yes, there is data to show the old process food at linked with health. But what we now know is that not all ultra processed foods are linked in the same way and to the same degree. And so there is some research that's broken down quite crude categories that you can still do through food frequency questionnaires that show that if you look at the link between old processed food intaken an individual and their risk of all course mortality basically meaning death, that yes, as your old process foodn't take increases, so does your risk of death. And it's largely attributable if you look at the different food groups to an increase in red process meat and in sugar sweetened and artificially sweetened beverages. What you see, conversely, is that cereal products. Now I know, seal products are really a big range. They could be everything from your terrible sugary you know, kid cereals that you see in supermarket right through to a healthy whole grain, but they're actually associated with a reduced risk of all course mortality even if they're classified a sultra process. So I think we need to be a bit careful demonizing everything because yes, overall it shows there's a problem, but actually not all ultra processed food is created equally. And then within each of those food groups I've mentioned earlier, even within those groups, whether it's cereals, whether it's you know, even process red meat, we know that there's a huge variability. You know, if you look at the food group of cereals, you've got everything from those awful sugary cereals that again unfortunately my kids love right through to some very healthy cereals, but would still be classed as ultra process And so this, I think is what makes it challenging, and this is why I think we have to be a little bit careful getting too scared by the stats that you see that say, you know, our diet sixty percent ultra process. You know, what are we going to do? We cannot change our diet that radically in the food landscape that we live in if we are that average person getting sixty percent of our energy from ultra processed food. And that's why again we've really got to focus on which ones are really bad for us and which ones aren't. And I'm sorry that I'm not giving you a list of rand level foods in New Zealand that are the really bad ones.
Speaker 1: We do have an excellent peanut butter range, I think in New Zealand, don't we fix and fog.
Speaker 2: Fix and fog or picks. Yeah, they're all very very good.
Speaker 4: You don't.
Speaker 3: I am going to go home and cheat the labels. And actually the labeling is really interesting because of course our ability to make good decisions is reliant on the hope that our food producers giving us legible labels to read and understand.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, absolutely, And I think to me, this is where it gets really interesting and where my many years of research I think really comes into play. That the food labeling, yes, gives you that first hint. So the example I used with peanut butter, Yes, Lisa's peanut butter. You can look at the back and you can see, oh my gosh, it's got so many different ingredients. It's got all of these additives and a master piers and then you've got, for example, in the UK, I don't know if you have it, there a peanut butter called pipper nut. That's just a very unprocess. It's just nuts, ground nuts and salt so yes that gives you an indication, But what that doesn't tell us is the hyperpalatability that I mentioned. But it also doesn't tell us what I think is one of the most important features alongside the nutritional composition, of why processing can impact our health, and that's the food structure. That when you process a food in many instances, you change the food structure or what we in science call the food matrix, and that has a big impact in terms of how it impacts our health, how it impacts our metabolism, and so much more. And that's why it's really challenging, I think, because you cannot on the back of pack label say this is a good food structure, that's a bad food structure. Yes, we can help people identify has the structure been changed such way it may negatively impact our health. And there's really simple ways. Does that food look like the food from which it originally came or does it not resemble that original food? And there's simple examples that I often use when I teach about this from my own research, an old research as well, and there's this lovely study that was carried out many years ago, actually even before processing was the big issue that it is now, and This was a study in nineteen seventy seven where they fed people whole apples, or they literally puraid those apples. So imagine just making it into a smoothie so it had exactly the same ingredients. All you had done was change the structure. You just mushed it up basically. And then they fed people apple juice where they'd actually taken out some of the fiber. But the important comparison is the apples and the apple pure, because the backuppack labeling would show that they're identical. If they were in a supermarket and they fed these individuals apple pure and apples, they had fifty grams of available carbohydrate, they're identical. What they found was there was a massive difference, about tenfold difference in terms of how quickly people eat them. You could eat the pure so much more quickly. And what they found was even when the invited individuals back and said, okay, I want you to actually eat it at the same time, so we remove this problem of the fact that you're eating the pure faster, they found that there was a big difference in terms of how full they felt after. So after the apples they felt about fifty percent more full compared to the apple pure, but it was the same food, just change the texture and the structure. Then they looked at the post pant or glucose response, which is basically the post meal increase in circulating blood glucose from the sugar from the carbohydrate in the apples and the pure, and what they found was a big difference in terms of about two to four hours after consuming the pure, people had a big dip in their glucose below baseline compared to the apples. And what this means is when you have a dip, it drives your body to want to quickly eat food because your body is thinking, oh my god, I'm going into a hypergodallysimic shock, which you're not. It's just a dip in your glucose. And what we've seen from our own Zoe predict research is this dip is associated with people then going on to consume three hundred and twenty calories more over a day compared to if they don't have a dip. So what you've got happening here is you've got this apple, you've got the pure A backupack labelings are same, no difference in emulsifiers, additives, nutrients, etc. But you're eating, they're at a very different rate, You're having a very different fullness response, You're having a very different glucose metabolic response that's causing this dip that we believe will therefore cause you to overeat. And this study is lovely because we've since done many studies that have really replicated this, and you know, lots of other foods, except that just show how important that structural integrity is, whereas the texture of a food is.
Speaker 3: From the research that I've done Sarah personally into ultra process food, you know, talking about that bag of crisps and things, I think we all know that they don't meet our society society needs. We don't get full if we eat them. We all know that we kind of eat more than we really need. So is that the explanation for that that dip that we have, or is it because they taste really good as well that we tend to eat more of than we need.
Speaker 4: So we tend to eat more for a number of reasons. One because they're so tasty, so they bypass our natural kind of brains sort of breaking system saying well, you know you've had enough. Secondly, because we tend to eat them faster if they're processed as well, and by eating them faster, you don't allow your body time to register that it's full. Many processed foods are also processed in such a way that by breaking up the structure, they're absorbed a lot more quickly, so you have this bigger peek and then this dip in glucose, and this dip in glucose causes this feeling of hunger, but also it changes where you absorb them as well, in your gut. And so what we know is that food that tends to have the matrix more preserved tends to be absorbed lower down the gastrointestinal tract. And what's relevant here is lower down your gastro intestinal tract you have more fullness receptors, so more GLP one receptors. You probably all heard of GLP one. You know, this is the the you know, the different drugs that are out there, like a zenpic will go v And so if you're absorbing these very mushed up foods because of how they've been processed higher up the gastro intestinal tracked, they don't have quite so many GLP receptors, so you're not feeling it's so full yet if it's absorbed more slowly because the matrix the structure of food is slowing it down, then you're also going to feel more full because of that.
Speaker 1: What I was going to say is it's really FaceTime because our brain might forget our natural process, but our body doesn't, is what you're saying. If it's been processed differently in our gut, no matter what our brain's saying about the tastiness and bypassing all the things that are actually bitter for us, the body still takes the score.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so you've got kind of double hits going on that your brain's saying, wow, I want more. It's so tasty. It's already or almost like many processed foods I guess you could say, almost predigested. And so they're absorbed so quickly, so they're not making you so full. They're causing these big metabolic responses. So then as well, you're not getting your natural fullness that you would get from a food that's being absorbed more slowly. And I think you know a really key factor here that we don't talk enough about is eating rate. And I think this is really important because this is something that everyone can control. And so what we know is that most processed food, where you have changed the texture such that it's softer, is eaten more quickly. And there's research showing that ultra processed food, although I'm not so keen on that term as you might have gathered, but food that's classified as ultra processed according to the Noble Classification System versus minimally processed equivalents, even if it's nutritionally matched so same nutrients, is eaten fifty percent more quickly. So you're eating food that's been processed to change the texture so softer texture fifty percent more quickly. And this is really relevant because, like I said, it causes you to overeat. And there's some fantastic research coming out of Care and Forwards Group in the Netherlands that shows that if you eat more quickly, you consume more calories. And if you are just to slow down the rate at which you eat your food by twenty scent, for example, you would actually, subconsciously without realizing it, reduce the amount of calories you're consuming by about fifteen percent. And the reason I love this is because firstly it's related to food processing, but also we can all do something about this. We all know, I think who are fast eaters? I don't know about you, ladies, but when I sit at my dining table, my husband wolves stands food, my daughter wills down this food. My son and I eat obviously perfectly, you know, but we eat slowly. And you know, I mean most of us know if we're fast eater liked be curious. No, you do you think you're fast or self?
Speaker 3: I became a fast eater when I heard children, when I heard babies, because it just seemed to be something.
Speaker 2: It was just it was an efficiency.
Speaker 1: Thing you were, you know, you were always feeding them and things, and then you'd shovel a bit of food and really quickly. And I noticed that my habit's changed them. But interestingly, you say that because you know, we we try to sit at the dinner table as often as we can, especially when you know, my son comes home from university and things, and he takes for either to eat Zera and the.
Speaker 3: Rest of us, the other three of us are saddenly going, ah ha, this is really lovely for me dinner.
Speaker 2: But can you hurry up?
Speaker 3: We've got things, you know, We've got places to be, things to do, and now I'm going to use him as my cue. I'm going to finish my dinner with him. Yeah, because I just shovel it in. I'm a big pain in the ass in my family. I'm always the one that says, can we can you just slow down?
Speaker 1: Can you? It frustrates me knowing, And I'm pretty sure I learned it on Zoe actually about the slowing down and the eating. But the funny thing I was thinking about was I'm sure it was a Timspektter thing that came up to my Instagram once about I'm preparing some beautiful breakfast and he was like, this is how quick and easy it is to prepare a beautiful bowl of you know, really good cereal with some berries and yogan and so forth. That's great, thanks Tim. It took ages to eat it because it.
Speaker 4: Was, you know, really great.
Speaker 2: I know, but you know it's in the morning.
Speaker 1: You're like, great that it took That's the point though, right we're rushing and in the morning in particular, you know you're wolf down a piece of toastless some butter and peanut butter or something on it and out the door. But actually it's every meal we need to sort of think about that, not just sitting, you know, not just at dinner time.
Speaker 3: But I now have this wonderful I now have this wonderful image that sort of Sarah has given us as to why to do it. It was just something my grandmother always told me to do. Slow down, put your knife and fall down in between mouthfuls.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: It was kind of and it just says like an eater kitch thing. But now I have sort of this clearer idea of what's potentially going on in my gap, and I kind of I like that that makes it a bit more easier to get my head around.
Speaker 1: I personally get a little bit of fender, because if I've cooked a really really lovely meal, I get a bit annoyed that people eat it like it's like it's a big mat.
Speaker 4: That might just be I mean, I think, you know, there's just more and more evidence coming out showing the importance is slowing down how fast you eat your food and the impact it has not just on the amount of calories but also your metabolic wealth. And there's ways that we can consciously do it. But where it becomes difficult is that many of the foods, not all of them, but many of the foods that have been processed, have the texture changed, And it's the texture actually that's critical rather than the processing per se. There's this really fascinating study that kimin forded where he fed people in a randomized order. On one occasion either a burger that was quite soft texture, so kind of a soft bun, soggy lettuce, and quite soft meat patty. Then on the other occasion, the same individuals came in and they had exactly the same burger, but the gun was slightly crispy, the lettuce was slightly crispy, and the patty was slightly crispy, And he gave a huge portion to people and said, right, eat as much as you want to eat. They eate the soggy or the soft bun, the soft burger lots more quickly, and they eate more of it compared to eating exactly the same but just crisping it up. And he's coined this lovely expression, put your crunch back into your lunch. And I think that's lovely because it empowers us firstly to consciously slow down how fast we eat. So fantastical you're going to go and copy your son when he's next home. But also I think we can do this subconsciously without thinking about it, just by changing the texture of that food as well.
Speaker 2: You're listening to the little things.
Speaker 3: And our guest on the podcast today is chief scientist at ZOE, doctor Sarah Berry, helping us navigate the world of processed foods. Back after the break, Sirah, I was just wondering, you know, we've talked about the fact that processing can happen in so many different ways. I mean, frozen food is a frozen vegetable is processed to a certain you know as processed food. So we've talked about what to look for on the labels and things. Can anything good come out of processing food?
Speaker 4: Absolutely well, you know, like I said at the beginning, processing improves the stability of the food, so the shelf life of the food. It improves the cost of the food, it improves the safety of the food. And you know, frozen vegetables is a perfect example, or canned vegetables, canned fruit for example, assuming there's not lots of added sugar, for example, of a really cheap way to have food where also the nutrients are well preserved. So if you take frozen peas, then because of the way that they are processed at that time and snap frozen typically at the point of harvest and put in our freezers. All the vitamin C is preserved and you've got a really cheap food and a very healthy food. And so I think that we need to be really careful and I'll use an English expression here not to throw the baby out with the bath water. That yes, there are clearly processed foods that are bad. There are clearly processing that's bad. But it's a double edged sword. And we've done some research at King's College, London where I've done randomized control trials where I feed people whole almands versus ground almonds. So again these would be foods that have identical pack ofpack labeling, you just change through processing the structure. And what we find is if you feed people whole almonds, you actually excreet about thirty percent of the calories. So what it means is if you are someone that's wanting to have a low energy food compared compared to what's on the back of pack labeling, consuming those almonds, it's a whole almond, actually thirty percent of the calories are just coming out the other end if you grind it. And we've done this study at our university where literally you grind it down, so you break all the cells, you absorb all of the calories. Now, why is this the double edged sword? So for some people who are trying to lose weight, you obviously want to consume the whole almonds because lots of the calories are coming out at the other end. But there are people in our population that don't need to lose weight, that might need to put weight on, in which case, processing it to break up the food structure means they access access all the calories. It means they access more of the other nutrients, the vitamin E for example, you'll absorb loads more, for example, from the ground almonds than from the whole almonds. And then we can also use processing to improve the health illness of the food through stealth. And this is another great way that we can actually use and harness the power processing to improve the healthfulness of the food.
Speaker 3: So, Sarah, it would it be fair to say that if we have a pretty good diaroet, a good whole food diet, is there any harm and having the occasional bit of ultra processed food like you going and having your crisps after this podcast.
Speaker 4: Absolutely not, and I think that we need to be careful not to be too puristic about this. We need to be really practical. We need to be practical for whom people can't necessarily afford to rely on food that is all minimally processed. We need to be practical from that shelf life stability point of view, but absolutely, you know, we need to be practical from a point of view of what's out there for us, what's actually accessible, not just affordable, but accessible to us. We need to be practical from a point of view of how we live our lives. You know, most families now in many countries have two working parents. I don't have the time to cook everything from scratch when I get home from work. Neither does my husband. So we need to be pragmatic in this discussion about process foods as well about what's actually practical for us. And this is where I think what we need to do is firstly accept that we can't all be perfect in our diet, and actually life would be pretty damn boring if we're all perfect, including our diet. That if we enjoy our food, great, you know, I often say that to people if your food is too healthy to be enjoyed. It's just not healthy at all. So if you get some pleasure in that heavily processed crisps or chocolate or yogurt, fine, enjoy it. So long as the bulk of your diet comes from healthy foods to minimally processed whole foods, as long as you're getting plenty of fiber ideally from whole foods, then don't worry about having a little bit of this. You know, sometimes a bit of what's bad for you can be good for you. And I think that again, our research that we've shown at Zori and I know I've already mentioned, has shown that really it's only about twenty percent of those processed foods that are out there that are actually really unhealthy for us. Those foods that we're just eating so so quickly, those foods that are so so tasty we don't know when we're filled, and those foods that have additives and emulsifies that are particularly harmful for us. Let's relax a little bit about the rest of them.
Speaker 1: It's been an amazing Look, just one quick question. Sorry, we want to check in there because it so seems to be so controversial.
Speaker 2: Is oils.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's so much confusion about it and what should we and shouldn't we use? Are seed oil's the devil?
Speaker 4: So firstly, extravergin olive oil I think is kind of the king of oils. It's full of monarch saturated fatty acids, which are fantastic for our health. It's packed with polyphenols which have these bioactive properties that impact inflammation in a favorable way, et cetera, et cetera. So extraverted olive oil absolutely, we should use it where we can. For some people, it might be quite expensive. For other people, they might not like the taste of it. It's very fragrant oil. I personally don't want to find my egg in extra virgin olive oil because it's too fragrant in terms or too powerful the taste. Seed oils, I think is one of the most misunderstood food or ingredient at the moment. There is so much misinformation. I mean, it's mind blowing again. If you put it into Google, most of the things you get up or YouTube or Instagram are these headlines saying seed dolls are toxic, seed doors are going to kill you. There is not evidence to support that, and there are many, many influencers out there that are making these claims that, oh, as seed oil intake went up, so did rates of heart disease obesity. Well, yeah, what else has changed over the last fifty years. It's not just seed oil intake. Also, about sixty percent of the seed all that we consume is in heavily processed, unhealthy food. What else is in that food? It's not just the seed oils. They also talk a lot about seed doors are inflammatory. Maybe it's super physiological amounts in a test tuble in a mouse, absolutely not in humans. We know now that what is talked about from a theoretical biological pathway perspective, where we know that the main fatty acid and seed doors, which is only A six, can be converted into precursors of inflammation in a very kind of simple terms. We know that actually, our body is so clever that this doesn't actually translate to an increase in circulating inflammatory measures. And there's meta analysis or analysis that look at loads of RCTs, loads of randomized control trials that show from about forty different clinical trials the actually eating seed oils, and I'm talking about seed doors that have been refined so they have been processed. Does not increase inflammation. In many instances, it actually has the opposite effect, it actually reduces inflammation. And then you've got all of these big studies coming out from the big cohorts, so you know where you've got hundreds of thousands of people that have been followed over many years, and it shows though the people that consume more seed oils compared to butter or alternative animal fats have low risk of cancer, lower risk of cardiovascular disease, lower risk of all course mortality. So the evidence just does not stack up to the claims that you see on social media. And you will never see a evidence based nutritional scientist saying seed doors are toxic. You will see many of these keto brows that are in the supermarket topless holding their bit of steak saying seed alls toxic and it's going to kill us absolutely. And you know, I went on quite a high profile podcast earlier this year and talked about the evidence around seed oils, and after that podcast, I got four thousand Instagram messages saying that firstly, I couldn't be trusted because I was paid by the seed all industry, and I've actually never had any research found in seed all the industry. I didn't know what I was talking about, even though I've run twenty five randomized control trials in the air of dietary fat and seed dolls on health and that I'm just down right stupid. So I had all of this. Hey, even had someone email me to say, how does it feel to be the most hated scientist in America? Because I dare to question the narrative around seed doors because god forbid, they're also processor. Obviously they're bad for us, and absolutely no, the evidence that doesn't stack up. I think where we need to understand more is how refine seed oils compared to cold press seed doors that haven't gone through all of the same processes. So by cold press seed doors, we mean let's take some some flass seed, literally squeeze it and take the oil out. Yes, we know that you have greater preservation of some of the bioactives like the polypemales, so yes, they might be slightly better for us. But also by not kind of cleaning up the oil, using refinement and using processes does make that cold press oil less stable. So I think it's a bit of a kind of balancing act here. But yeah, I'm very proceed oils. Oh, I'm so answer. I'm sorry so much.
Speaker 1: It's your Friday night, but there was such an emphetic answer. I really really really appreciate. Put the beef tallow down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just absolutely.
Speaker 4: And this is what's worrying is you've got our FK in the US transforming entire popular you know, public health policy. You go to the US, so is there recently an outside restaurants there's notices saying seed or free restaurant. I mean, this is really scary. And people are advising people at our FK. They're not nutritional scientists. They haven't interpreted the evidence correctly.
Speaker 3: Well, this is why we love having people like you on this podcast, so we can clear these things up. One very last question we have. You've spoken a little bit about emulsifiers and editors, which aren't great for us. Is there anything in particular we should look out for on the label.
Speaker 4: I think this is really tricky because in every different country there's different ways that they are labeled. They have different names, they have different E numbers, so it's quite hard to identify. Yes, we know some are worse for us than others, but I don't think there is enough evidence to say, Okay, these are the five really evil ones, so I'm a little bit reluctant to call out ones. What I would say is there's many that are actually fine for us, that have what I think are quite scary names, like a scorbic acid that's actually just bitumin c and it's in there to actually keep it more stable. You know, you've got to massifies like lesser thin that we think actually might be even favorable for us. But kind of the real baddies, you know, I would be quite cautious about sweetness. Not all sweetness, again, are created equally. I would be a little bit cautious about sweetness like acek potentially sparteme sucralose, for example, But I would have that with We still don't know enough at the normal levels that these are consumed to know quite how bad they are. But I would say it's very graded that there are some that the evidence is starting to emerge that they can have quite an unfavorable effect on our got microphone, which therefore might lead to unfavorable health effects. Where there's others that we think probably are quite inert and neutral, and there's enough for us to start grading them. But I think to off the top of my head. I couldn't kind of specify these are the real baddies.
Speaker 2: That's okay.
Speaker 1: I also work in research, and I know that these things take time and you will get to it.
Speaker 3: Thankfully, Sarah, thank you so much for your time. Go join your family, have your glass of wine. We really appreciate you taking the time to explain this and sort a few things out for us.
Speaker 2: It's been brilliant. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Thanks Sierah.
Speaker 4: Oh, thank you. It's one of my favorite topics. So if I was going to work late on a Friday night, it would be late.
Speaker 2: There is very kind of you, but no, we really appreciate it. Thanks so much, Sarah.
Speaker 3: Pleasure that has cleared a few things up, hasn't it.
Speaker 1: Yes, I've got I've got some. And also I love a podcast where you take away a few late little sayings like crunch back into your lunch.
Speaker 3: I just like hyper palatable. There was a hyper palatable meal, Thank you, Louise. The eating rate is really interesting though, it's always just something. As I said, I thought, you know that my grandmother would tell me it was sort of an etiquette thing. Slow down, don't guzzle your food and things. But the way she just spoke about the body and it processing. It just made a huge amount of sense, and it is something we can all do. Yes, regardless of what you're eating.
Speaker 1: That is something we can control.
Speaker 3: It is something we can control. And how often I mean you open a packet of chips and everyone just dives on it in our house, like if you.
Speaker 2: Don't get in there quickly, that will be gone. They probably will be and you just shovel them in, right, you know, you sort of sit and enjoy the.
Speaker 1: Chap n it's so and it's even worse if you add and some onion dip. But I was thinking about that. You do shovel down the chips and then you I just lately I've been remembering how crappy I feel, so then I will literally only have half a dozen because I'm like, oh no, you know you're gonna feel rubbish. Surely. I used to grab a bag in the supermarket, you know it's three for six bucks or whatever, and wolf half a bag on my way home from the supermarket is my little treat.
Speaker 2: I think we've all sat in the car and walf something down on them.
Speaker 1: I know, I love it when I see people at the supermarket and they're putting all their bags in the back and they just grab something, so you're gonna eat that all the way up.
Speaker 2: Totally.
Speaker 3: I really like Sarah's approach. It's practical, it's sensible. It's you know, eat well and you don't have to stress about having a little bit of you know, a little ultra process treat here and there.
Speaker 2: We need to be practical.
Speaker 3: We're all time poor and you know the cost of living is hitting at the supermarket, so you have to make some sensible decisions. You know what I take from this, I'm gonna sort of step back and go processed so much as processed, make sure, you know, relatively well processed. Great, maybe just be a little bit more conscious of the ultra processed foods. That's a treat something you have here and there. Don't stress about it too much either.
Speaker 2: Yeah I did.
Speaker 1: I did find it funny right at the outset she said, you know, artisanal versus process, and I'm like, is real food artisanal?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 2: Isn't that interesting? You know, like.
Speaker 1: It's it's we didn't go into this, but it's it's ultra process and process. But it's also marketing thing, right, Oh, totally, So you don't get tricked, don't get fooled. Just go for the simple things. And gosh, that was really really helpful about the seed oils because it has been rattling around my brain. When I go to the Supermarke and go, I'll get the extra virginal oil, but I'm not going to cook everything in it because it's too expensive.
Speaker 3: You know how I said that, I'm going to follow my son and eat at his rate. Yeah, it's going to be really interesting to seeing that I can do that. I'm going to have to train myself to do that. I'm probably not going to hear any of the conversation. I'm just going to be sitting there watching her meat. Going to take the time. I'll be talking myself through eating dinner, which I don't think is quite the plan, but I'm going to get there.
Speaker 2: I'm going to get there.
Speaker 1: Well, he's obviously entertaining you with stories.
Speaker 3: Were you told us sort of as a kid, you had to chew your food ninety times or something ridiculous?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 2: Were you told things like that?
Speaker 1: I might have been, but we're a family of seven and it was just eat it or lose. Oh no, so we ate pretty fast. So that we could get to the second helping. I just think it's it is. It is handy if you have a storyteller at your table, because it does slow everything down and you do feel a bit of a full sitting there with your empty plate when everyone else is still eating, you know.
Speaker 2: So I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think just take your grandmother's avice pie your life and fall down. I eat slower if I haven't cooked it. Yeah, if it's something that I've prepared myself, I'm like, okay, here it is right, let's go. I'm not hugely I'm not as interested and I invested if somebody else is.
Speaker 2: Cooking in me el, I don't know why. I'm but more relaxed about the speeder. Eat it anyway.
Speaker 1: There we go, make it crunchy, and make it crunchy, folks. Thank you so much for joining us on our New Zealand Herald podcast series, The Little Things. So good to be back. We hope you share this podcast with the women and men in your life so we can turn down the food noise in the supermarket aisles. You can follow this podcast on iHeartRadio or wherever you get your podcasts, and for more episodes from us On other topics, head to zid herold dot co dot nz.
Speaker 2: Okay to you next time. On the little Things,