Speaker 1: Inside met for getting you closer to the game you love with Adean Wilson, Anna Stanley and Jenny Woods. Soured by news talks that'd be I've got a koto and welcome to Inside Netball. We've got the full team back together this week. Jean has done a fabulous job holding down the fort. But I thought it was about time I returned back from Bali and swapped my cocktails for cups of tea.
Speaker 2: You were there a long time, good time forever.
Speaker 1: It didn't feel for ever. It was a great break, and I'm sure Adean you're enjoying being back from your menagerial duties down in Wellington for basketball. I think the last post I saw you were doing the laundry at midnight. I mean's a bit at one o'clock that night, all morning and then I think we're up at like five thirty two games a day, a lot of washing, you know, eleven boys to rush around after, honest to goodness. Yeah, but love it love It's good. So Jenny, we are back. Thank you very much for covering for us. Are you happy Mum and dadd are back with you.
Speaker 2: I feel so much better not to say that Eyvon was so absolutely.
Speaker 1: Super sub Yeah, loved it. But before we get into it, I have to say Adean game On debuted last night on TV three. For everyone that doesn't know, Adean is back playing a bit of netty alongside some of her Silver Foon teammates. Started with the fitness test and you won the Bronco for the Fernees. I should have won it over everybody, but on my very last turn, my achilles completely gave out and I got just pipped at the line by Tira may So. A bit to work on. But how about Irene? She could have kept going four minute plank and she hadn't even started shaking. Seriously, she made it look easy. Planks are hard. What did you do for the plank? Did you get to two?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I can just get to two. You just start shaking and everything shutting down. It was my arm more than my actual abs.
Speaker 2: But I can't get over how many people are talking about it excellent. Well that's not just people who are it so there you go.
Speaker 1: Wow, there's plenty of talk to get through today. Of course, the regular season is done and dusted. Two rounds down, we head to Finals Netball, where we see the Pulse take on the Tactics in christ Church. And one player who will be playing in that Pulse team who are taking on the Tactics is midcarter Maddy Gordon, and she joins us now Inside May welcome to Inside Netball. Great to have you here. Hey, Now, it's been a tough old year for the Pulse, but you've scraped into that elimination final. How's the team feeling as you build up to that game against the Tactics this weekend.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thank you for having me.
Speaker 3: I think, as everyone has seen, it's been a bit of a up and down season for us. One games that probably some people didn't think we were and then lost games where we really.
Speaker 4: Should have won.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it's been tough, but I think the last couple of games that we've had we've.
Speaker 4: Really got a lot of confidence going into this game against the Tactics.
Speaker 1: Oh, Genny's pointing at me. I thought she was gonna ask the question.
Speaker 2: I've just suddenly jumped to dargable here can I You're doing to get dark over?
Speaker 1: So I'm actually going to jump to the wing attack position then, because I feel like that is a segue, because I actually did. I think I was commentating the first game when you played wing attack because Whitney was out and I did sing your praises, I'd just like to say, what do you think about that?
Speaker 3: Way?
Speaker 1: I loved you there, Like how much is it a change from center because you look just very much at home.
Speaker 3: Yes, I've had a lot of questions about this. Actually, well, I have been loving it. Let's just say that I posid center, but I have been.
Speaker 4: Really enjoying it.
Speaker 3: I think it really brings out my strengths, as in you can really see my change of direction and my speed and all of that stuff a lot better than Center because I guess wing attack you're the leader of that attacking in ball in hand like kind of center fills what you're doing kind of thing. So I feel like that's really worked for me. But again I still love Center, but just for me this year, I yeah, I feel like it's really it worked in my favor.
Speaker 4: I guess to showing everyone what I can do.
Speaker 1: So your knee hasn't because obviously you're still got quite a heavily strap knee. It doesn't seem to bother you. You are changing direction beautifully. So is that just precautionary?
Speaker 3: Yes, So there's a little bit of strapping at the front, which I'll probably have for a while. That's like the main injury, but the big white tape that makes it all look a bit scary. I just did a little bit of a hyper extension in the Tactics game down in christ Church, and it's literally just there to stop me hyper extending it again. It's not like I did any major damage with it. It's just literally precautionary. I have asked if I did need it, and they were like, hey, a couple of games left, it's not gonna hurt.
Speaker 4: Let's just give it on. But it's not going to be staying around for long. Tell you that.
Speaker 1: Sometimes you just need a bit of tape for your head, just to know that, you know you're protecting art. I rememb when I did my ic ACL when I came back, I taked it for like months afterwards, and p I said to me, you know this is doing nothing. I said, I don't care. It just feels good. And they just need to get skin colored tape though, Like I think you're right. It's all white. It's just so in your face.
Speaker 3: But it looks like it's some major kind of injury. But you know, probably half of the reason it's there too, which I'll admit, is the taping really ruins my tan, so I like, you need to get.
Speaker 2: The tan while the takes on and just you know, take So, while we're on the subject of talking about changing positions, how much has that an effect had on you know, the up and down nature of the season. You've had you know, people with concussion, you've had people ill, it's you, I don't I don't know that how many games have been with the with the same lineup. Has that had a big effect.
Speaker 3: I think it definitely has had an effect, But I also think we can't really like blame that and have excuses for it, because if you look at who's in our team, like, we definitely have amazing players in all areas where they can fit in and play well. So I guess the disruption of not being able to grow in those combos for long has probably affected it. But I wouldn't say it's not that we have the people that can do it.
Speaker 1: How frustrating has it been because you know you're lose to the steel one week, then the following week you know you win your game, and as a team, how do you pick yourself up? And try and debrief those performances that have over the course of the year been so inconsistent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, it definitely has been frustrating, but we've never I guess we've always had the belief and confidence in ourselves to know that we can do it. And I think I think we all know when we're all on, we're quite unstoppable. And I think that's just the key is how do we get the best out of everyone that we're all performing at the same time rather than just a few people. So that's definitely like what we've been working on.
Speaker 1: We've spoke a lot about the two point shot this year and different innovations. Is it starting to sort of settle in for you now? I mean it worked bloody well in the weekend. I'm a huggy best two points around. It's her reaction, right, How good is it that she responds the way she does?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's so funny, But like I always I actually said to her because I was actually screaming behind it, we only need one so funny, But hey, she shot it and now like she got it in, so I can't say anything, but I'm sure there would have been different conversations yes, when.
Speaker 1: You say that, you know, I was actually quite nervous because not because I didn't think she could get it in, but if you guys had gone into extra time and then lost by more than five, you would have been in trouble. So in some ways I was like, lose by one, just lose by one because they actually was safer.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 3: Definitely, our scenarios throughout the whole week was we are not drawing this game.
Speaker 1: Right, So we had talked about it.
Speaker 3: Oh, we had talked about it all week. It was a big focus for us, and the main message was we are not drawing because if we get into this extra time and something happens and it blows out, we're screwed. So that's why obviously I was yelling take for what, like you know, but hey, she is a confidence player and she must have known that she could like because she's quite good at her decision making when to go for the twos and when to not, So she just must have known deep down and that I've got this, I'm doing it.
Speaker 2: And she did that Grand Final that you guys played last year. I still think it was one of the best we've had. It was so exciting and you, Yes, you lost, but do you ever do you ever go back and think about that game or use that game as a you know, incentive to do better.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we definitely always talk about that game and how I guess how fitting say, if you know, we just want to play kind of the mystics again, had read demail sales. We obviously we've got a game before that to do, but no, it's always in the back of our minds, just knowing that, you know, pretty much we had we had that game, and I guess we've.
Speaker 4: Worked on those moments.
Speaker 3: I guess you saw earlier in the season against the steel when we were close and we lost in those last couple of minutes. But then we've had a couple of games on from that, like a tight game with the Stars and we pulled it out in the last quarter, and then that tight game against the Magic and we like pulled it out in that last quarter. So I feel like we've definitely learnt on how to like win in those last minutes, I guess.
Speaker 4: So that's definitely helped.
Speaker 1: So if you've learned how to win, You've got the elimination final this weekend against the Tactics. Where do you think you can expose them. You've beaten them this year, you've lost to them this year. Where's yours? Where do your strengths lie as a team?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think disconnecting TP is quite key for us. She plays that extra you know, third feeder, and she does it, has a big workload down there, so I definitely think she's a target for us. And then just also their d end, Like they love working together and that's what they're good at. So it's just you know, not letting them do that, separating them and yeah, hopefully those two main things should work.
Speaker 1: Only got a big game coming up. There's there's still a lot of uncertainty in the netball environment about what the hell is happening next year? I mean how much is that unsettling or is it something you've just put to the back of your mind? I mean, have would you either be tempted to go to Australia? You know, so many questions.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's Steph like I don't think like it's not really out there, like how uncertain it is, and it actually is like there, I know there are a lot of girls who are freaking out, So I think it's hard to say that we do try and just put it to the back of our minds because it is our career and you know, everyone loves the game, So no, it's definitely there. Obviously not enough to fully be like, no, this is too much, I can't focus on my playing. But I guess then just going out there and giving it everything because you just don't really know what's going to happen next year, right, But yeah, we'll see how this exemption process goes and all of that as well.
Speaker 4: I would never say.
Speaker 2: No, what if they told you have they have they told you anything?
Speaker 3: I think they're just still working through it. That's pretty much. There's really, yeah, nothing more from that. They're still trying to work it out.
Speaker 1: So because what do you what are you doing other than nitbull yourself currently? Are you studying? Your working? So you really need this deal to go through.
Speaker 3: Yes, I obviously have little things on the side, but obviously I'm I am that player who loves the game and gives it all and like, I am so focused and want to be one of the best in the future. So I think I give all my time and if it internet, well, I know that's probably not the best thing to do, but that's just who I am, but what I do do with things on the side, Like I did the Nitty Notes book with Kate Heffernan that came out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how did they go?
Speaker 3: Yeah? No, Actually, so the first year it came out, it was a bit slow, and then we all kind of worked out how to like promote it better on like social media and stuff, and then I think we've only got like less than one hundred left, so it's actually done.
Speaker 4: Quite well in the end.
Speaker 3: And then I do a bit of like social media, like I do a couple of things on there which I get. I've got like a cool thing going with nutral grain and stuff, so like I do have like little things on the side. I definitely it is something I'm really like working on as finding what I absolutely love outside of netball, and I think that's a big thing to find out. But I'm just one of those ones who's not quite sure yet. But I'm definitely not doing nothing. I'm just still trying to work out what I really really want to do.
Speaker 1: That's okay, a lot of us are still working out what we want to do. What we want to do. Given nipples such a big part of your life, who's been your biggest inspiration when it comes to netball, who have you admired?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a great question.
Speaker 1: Irene Van Dyke doing four minute playing game on ye start right.
Speaker 3: Well, I'd better be doing a four minute planet at age two two minutes. No, there's a lot, I even Oh, there is honestly so many. I think I can't really go past. I don't know, like Amelia Ran, Like obviously I've been in a team with her and just everything she's gone through, Like I was in that team with the Pulse when she went through like her mental health kind of phase, and like I was quite close to her at that point, so that was like it was hard to see her go through that. But how she's come out of it, how she's had kids, how she just leads in general, Like I think she is such an inspiration.
Speaker 2: And I think, what is it about that leadership?
Speaker 4: She just.
Speaker 3: She just cares so much about you, like as a and she just wants the best for you, which I love about her. It's not all like all about like her I guess if that makes sense. She cares about one that's along the ride with her, which I think is so important.
Speaker 1: You've played twenty five test cats for the silver ferns. I think that number is correct. What's your ambitions in the black dress? I mean, what would it mean for you to get to go to a Komwaff games and win and win a medal? In particular goals.
Speaker 4: That's definitely on.
Speaker 3: We've had like one plan things and it's like, what are your goals over the next couple of years and mine is yeah, definitely, like I haven't been to a Common Games yet, so that's definitely one to win a medal.
Speaker 4: Obviously, I went to a World Cup and.
Speaker 3: We've did meddle, so that's definitely another thing, Like, there is so much I want to be, like, I want to be like the starting wall, center or whatever position, but I just want to really own like and be like a solid performer in that environment.
Speaker 1: Yes, well I reckon you could be a solid performer in both midies. So just keep that one attack one up your sleeve, because it's always good to have the two. Hey, we wish you all the best for the game this weekend and of course silver fan selections coming up later on. But we do finish our little segment with a quick fire fast five section.
Speaker 4: He didn't get dargable.
Speaker 2: I know, well, I didn't know what to do, and I thought, I can't bring dargle. Can't darga?
Speaker 1: Maybe we could eat it.
Speaker 2: But at the start about dar Okay, well I wonder if it would work.
Speaker 1: Who knows, that's what those fiery tech people. Yes, people, Well.
Speaker 2: I can ask you now, do you miss Dargle?
Speaker 4: No, it's a quick fire question.
Speaker 1: You have. That was the sixth questions.
Speaker 3: This is so like obviously I'm from Fanaday and I would go to Dargonball a lot for swimming, and my grandma lived there. Like there is just like one thing, no cafes, Like I'm telling you no, really.
Speaker 2: Not even what about blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: You're gonna say the only one they blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: How are you Northlanders?
Speaker 3: All the other things are like bakery cafes.
Speaker 4: Like you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: I do know what you mean.
Speaker 1: Yes, there's a business opportunity for you. You're looking at what you want to do making slices and coffee and dog ball funny okay, inside fast five. So the first one is if you could play any other sport, what sport would it be other than that ball?
Speaker 4: Controversial cricket?
Speaker 2: Oh, I didn't see that coming cricket cricket if you can as a female in New Zealand, cricket.
Speaker 1: Is where you? Is that why you would choose that one?
Speaker 4: I honestly love watching it.
Speaker 3: I am Yeah.
Speaker 2: Did you play when you were young?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: I like obviously in school and stuff like yes, but never likely. And I'm actually really gutted I didn't because here I am saying, yeah, I want to play, greg. I don't even know them any good but I don't know. It's just I love watching it. I go to most games I can. I'm always watching it on.
Speaker 4: TV and it's just something I really love.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I just would like to do it as well.
Speaker 2: The others in your family? Have you grown up watching cricket?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well my dad loves it, he used to play, My brother plays, like all of that stuff.
Speaker 1: This is a good start. We've got a different apper answer, Ezerland. Okay, who and your team is most likely to get you into trouble and get you out of trouble?
Speaker 4: Oh easy? As in trouble Paris Mason and.
Speaker 1: We head heir on did she say? Did she say herself? Probably?
Speaker 3: And then to keep me out of trouble, My good old trusty friend Kelly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think she did say Kelly.
Speaker 2: Now, what's your favorite go to post game snack or meal?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Great question?
Speaker 3: Post game? Probably like well, I really enjoy after our post games we get like a burger and some chips, which is nice, or I wouldn't mind a good pizza.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I'm quite good. I'm one of that.
Speaker 3: I know a lot of people find it hard to eat after games, but high and starving.
Speaker 1: So they're running around. Because you're a MIDI we do all the work, Eddie.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: If you could take three athletes to dinner, past or present, so dead or alive, who would those three athletes be?
Speaker 4: Oh, that's so harsh.
Speaker 1: Athletes three athletes, I think, all around the world, not just any sport, any sport, any sport.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Probably like you'd have to take someone like like Lebron James or something on the app. Cool, that's quite intriguing to me. Um, who's another story I noticed?
Speaker 1: Is here a cricketer? Yeah, no, that's what.
Speaker 4: I'm actually trying to think of.
Speaker 2: I'm like, what about Chris Gale?
Speaker 3: Actually that is a great one, is pretty amazing, Thank you very much. I was actually trying to think of a cricketer who I can put on there. Yep, let's go with him and.
Speaker 4: Anyone, anyone, anyone.
Speaker 3: Maybe even like I don't know, like a Lisa Carrington. You know, she's the government gun, so I'd love to pick her brown.
Speaker 1: Her arms are insane. The best piece of advice you have ever been given.
Speaker 4: Oh honestly, it's so simple. But just to be yourself and have fun. Like I think that's just so key.
Speaker 1: Oh that's pretty good advice. If you live your life like that, you'll be doing well. Maddie so Hey, thanks so much for joining us. We wish you all the very best this weekend.
Speaker 4: What's thank you inside?
Speaker 1: It well great to hear from Anny there. She's obviously a real netballer, isn't she. She loves her netball. She throws everything into netball and we talk about these days that you know, balance is really important. She hasn't found that balance yet. And you know what, that's okay because her netball's pretty good. Absolutely, and you know if that's and I think she she was harsh on herself because she is doing other stuff. You know, she's not you know, doing a traditional degree or a job. She has got a career path. That's what she was saying. The fact that she's busy. And I love the fact that you know, this whole influence a thing that completely confuses me, but you know, she's doing those sorts of things. She's finding ways to get a following and make money.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I like the fact too that you know cricket. It was the you know, the suggestion that she might like to be She's.
Speaker 1: Never played it.
Speaker 2: No, she did at school, didn't She's that I think she might have, but not a lot. But she's watched a lot with her dad, so you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, very impressive. Okay, so the round has finished the ladder, we look at the ladder. It ended up being Mystics, Tactics, Pulse, and then the bottom three Steel Magic Stars. So let's wrap the season for the Steel Stars in Magic. Because none of us actually chose that top three to No. Well, Jenny picked the Mistics, we didn't pick the mistakes a dean.
Speaker 2: But I picked the Magic to win, and it was fairly evident early on that they they I don't know what happened to the Magic actually, because they were building building, building very nicely at the end of last season. Yes, not this, No, no, no, and then but even this.
Speaker 1: Season, halfway through these podcasts, we had the opportunity to make a change and take Magic out and we still didn't copy. Aren't we? God backed them, didn't we? We thought that save you to we Emelia Andi Canasio combination was going to get us here. It didn't. Let's start with the Steel. We'll go start from fourth position down to Saxon. So the Steel finished last last year, they got the wooden Spoon. They moved up two places, finished fourth. If we perhaps look at something positive to have come out of that side and maybe somewhere along the way where they didn't go so well. Highlight for me, without a doubt, is the resurrection of kar Stythe or perhaps just the performances that she's put out. I think she's showed up every week in that goalkeep position. She's made it her own. Obviously coming from the mystics, we she didn't get much caught time, and she has really consolidated that position and she's in the fight for silver ferns. So for me, stife and then the Steel beating the Pulse by one this year. I thought that was pretty.
Speaker 2: Cool for me. I thought the coaches they were a real successful. In fact, I've enjoyed all the coaches this year, and you sort of what I found myself waiting for was look really looking forward to a time out because I was thinking, what is Wendy Freu going to say this time? And I also enjoyed any home game and it was like when's for mayor, which I thought was kind of cooled.
Speaker 1: She is the queen of Southland.
Speaker 2: She is the Queen of Southland.
Speaker 1: There, I'm with you, Jena. I thought she was brilliant. Her and Leana Liota. I just think exactly to your point, just hearing what they had to say, how specific they were. And for me, you know, she's Robbie Broughton, you know, that's where she's learned. She Robbie was her coach when she was at school. Robbie was her coach when she played for the Steel. And you can just see that, you know, the little sentimentalness comes out for me, you can you can see it, you can hear. I mean you see it in Don's actually as well. So I thought that was awesome. I actually thought both the Heafenan's were also very good. I thought Georgia at times was great. Other time maybe a bit quieter, but great to see another goal attack, stick her hand up and be an option in the silver fern environment and Kate. Great that Kate's back and she's getting back to her best because we know what she can do in that black dress. Do we want to do low lights with each team or not? For me, it was just disappointing that they beat the mistakes. They got within one of the mystics in Dunedin and they got within four, so for me that was just that would be for them, really disappointed that they didn't finish those games.
Speaker 2: Yes, I don't think we should do a low light to steal because yeah, I still I mean Alia done. You could case to answer or case to put up for all. It's just about every player actually, so I think you can argue they've come on from that.
Speaker 1: It does show. It shows when you don't have a shooter, which they lost their shooters at the start of two seasons in a row, and then you finally do have a shooter and Alia Dunn, who played well you know as much as any we love our mid corners. Shooters make a big difference.
Speaker 2: Well, yes, that's why they're there.
Speaker 1: And when you think about it, that team They had the most changes in any other team at the start of the season, six changes. They had two new coaches, so they did pretty well to get fourth, so they can only get better next year. Okay, moving up to the Magic, they finished in fifth position. Low light for me for them is just as you said, Jen, we just didn't see that continuity from last year. We all thought that's why we had them in the top three. They were going to push on. They had the potential and a little bit for me, I just don't think Echinaccio was at her best this season for the Magic, So for me, that was just a little bit disappointing. She did have the most accurate two point shots at fifty eight percent. She was actually the only player that got over fifty percent with her two pointers. I would have liked to have seen more from her.
Speaker 2: Yes, I would agree with that. Interesting though, wasn't it, because you know, I think that they had the least fewest. Maybe yeah, I can't think who it was, and so I thought, oh, it's good, it's good, but it wasn't so hard to know. And you know, Georgia Tong. Wish her well in her retirement, but it will be fascinating to see what they do next year.
Speaker 1: They're going to need more defensive firepower. I don't think they picked up enough ball attacking wise, Yes, there was some brilliant place save you two. I think MVP virtually every single game because of that beautiful smile and the way she takes that ball. But if they do really want to compete and get into that top three, I wonder if they need to look further afield for a defensive player that's really going to come up for ball. In saying that the one player I thought that came up with a huge mable George Edgecombe. I thought she was outstanding at when defense and deserves a silver FIRN Trial. Well I've got her as my highlight of the Magic is the rise of Georgia edgekamb in fact and saying defensive games, Erin and Makatyk picked up a lot of ball in the game just gone when they push the pulse. But as you say, she will need someone in that goal circle with her. Or how long has Erin and McCarty.
Speaker 2: Gone, Well, that's a very good question.
Speaker 1: She might not be there as well. So I think for all of us Magic, we had you in our top three. All three of us. Your rascals made us look Sully okay. And then the Stars. Boy, well, they've had a tough old season. I think it's probably fair to say the injury woes. I did that game with you. No, I did that game. I were watching, we were in the crowd. I mean, it's never nice to see any plague off the court. They had three from the same team in a wheelchair, all get rolled off the court. So disappointing. But as I said in commentary the other night, you know, they would have had a huge amount of growth for Bubby in her first season. What she would have learned as a coach. She would have had to have dug deep within herself to problem solve, to deal with adversity and resilience, and she can only grow from that. So I'm hopeful for what Bubby can do with that franchise.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, and I feel the same also too. You know, losing Monica Faulkner that way through the season there to ACLS and you just think, oh jeep, so oh boy. I mean, I wonder if as a player, you'd be willing Timmy param not to call you and you know, see if you want to play. But no, yeah, I mean, there's nothing she can say.
Speaker 1: We just hope that Timmy Putter is about to go on holiday because she certainly deserves it, and because you will be drained as a coach at the end of the season. And when we spoke to Timmy Putter, you know, she spoke about you know, you go over everything at night and your brain about could I have done this? What should I have done differently? And that would have she would have lost a lot of sleep this season. So I really do hope she has a big holiday. As to your point earlier, Gen, I think all those new coaches, you saw how spectacular they can be, and they all would have learned a lot this season. What will be interesting? Do they bring Charlie Bell back? Did Remy Carmo do enough to lead? I think I don't think Bubby. Did she select them?
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know that she did. I think this next team.
Speaker 4: Here will be hers.
Speaker 1: So we'll be interestelling will she bring both of those two players? About who will she bring back? Who knows? As we heard Maddie say, no one knows a lot just yet, so a lot that I think a lot's gonna happened in the next month, And well, they'll need Kate Burley to come back. She's obviously recovering from Planta Fasher and yet sort of forget, you know, the players that have remained like merely really Buchanan, Wilson, really Buchanan's coming back with her own injury. She's not at her best yet, so she's still recovering from her acroikin. Takes a good twelve months until you're back at your best. I saw Griers and Claire who she was ACR as well at the game, the Mystics Technics game in the weekend. Amazing, she had surgery, she's had surgery, and she was she was walking so well, and I do feel like you get the sense, I don't know who well, but you feel like she's going to be that person that will do everything to get back on there. She was walking very fit that first game when she did it, and I felt so sorry for her because she looked like she'd done the work in the off season and that will be helping her recovery. To write the fact that she started at such a good but really heartwarming to see that her recovery is started in a really good place. We talk about lost with the Stars side I think we have to mention that, you know, Bubby being the coach, her assistant Leana Debrain, has suffered huge devastation as well. This year she lost her brother and then a month later she loses her mother. So you know, Bubby's been dealing with coaching this team, supporting her mate who's dealt with a huge amount of loss. But I think perhaps that may have put perspective in a lot of people's lives in the team that you know, yes, Snipple's a big part of your life and it's the game you play, but at the end of the day, gosh, it's family that matters. So you know they've dealt with a lot. Okay, well, that wraps the last three teams. Let's look forward to one of the finals that is coming up, the elimination Final Tactics over the Pulse. They've played each other twice this year. In round six it went the way of the Tactics sixty one fifty two. Rounds ago, round eight it was fifty nine fifty to the Pulse. So we've heard from Maddie their Pulse have been up and down as the Tactics have just been having lost to the Mystics in the last round, where is it going to be won or lost? Jenny, How significant is to pass Salby Reckitt going to be for the Tactics.
Speaker 2: Well, I think if the Pulse can manage to isolate her, as Maddie was suggesting they might, that could be the answer. But I just am still trying to unpick that game the other day, between the Tactics and the Mystics. I didn't for a moment think that it would be that one sided. And I still can't quite believe that, you know, that was the result. But wow, it looked to me like Berger and Watson just had no answer for Danelle Wallam. And I was thinking about how many times they would have played her, and I'm thinking take away the preseason, I don't know that they would have.
Speaker 1: I think Donna mentioned just once in pre season she said, yeah, So what I found really surprising in that game was Walem you know, they would just going one on one against Wallam, I know, and they were, you know, Jane was getting smoked, like Wallam was doing an outstanding job of holding her angles, holding high, doing all those things you want a goal shoot to do. And I found it fascinating that Burger continued to stay on Viillie because Voi wasn't shooting. She didn't shoot many. If I look back, Vuie only shot. Where is she? You know she shot a few in the end, but she wasn't really a threat and she doesn't do much outside the circle. Vote So Burger, get in the circle, go two on Wallom. I agree, and I wonder if that's the sort of thing the Pulse will learn from watching those sorts of games, because obviously it's a it's They've got Walmsley Warmsey, same thing. She's been taking that high ball really well? Do you double mark Warmsly? Tiana has not been shooting. She hangs around outside the shooting circle. And if you're hanging out there, you can't shoot, you're not a shooting threat. So to those yeah agree. Maturno's volume last week in thirty six minutes of netbulls, she shot three goals. Now Wormsley shot forty three out of forty three last week one hundred percent game the week before forty six from forty one nine. So Matuto and Massalla generally are averaging Matudo three from four, Mali Salah was eight from ten. You look at that and I agree, you'd go why would you put you'd put two defenders back on Wormsley double team here, because you could probably you know, get it, get into Warmsley and keep them, keep Matudo and Mali Sella on their own, just pick them up as they come on. And you might not be tight both tight and warms You might have someone that's you know, hunting a little bit more but still close to that circle so you can pick up that that lob will come sprinting through for the lob take that back space. But yeah, I did find that quite intriguing in that Tactics game, and it was a little bit like and again, how much would the Pulse have learned that when when TP wasn't involved, That's when the Tactics really struggle. When they actually started catching back up again was when TP got in the circle and she started shooting. And then that actually they got on a bit of a momentuming the Tactics and I mean that school flattered them at the end. It was only what fourteen, but that was because TP, you know, shot about five two pointers in a row. But I actually think and they will have they would have done the analysis of that Tactics game, but I think that would have told them a lot about what potentially to do against the tactics, saying that we haven't seen a lot of defenders, you know, double team the goal shooters this year, so I will be fascinated to see if either team do that the tactics. The big question for Donner is who's she going to start bird or Salmon. I think I think i'd go bird. I'd start with the height in there. Who will she be up against? Yes?
Speaker 2: But that was interesting, wasn't it? Because TP with us? Didn't she say yes? What did she say? She said she preferred playing with well, implied she preferred playing with salmon.
Speaker 1: Did she she looked more comfortable with salmon in the second half? I thought, yeah, Salmon moves well, but I just think they can They can see bird a bit.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: The bird has an extra I looked it up. She's a lot taller, Yes, three sent meters taller.
Speaker 1: I think I'm with you. I would start with a bird, but I wouldn't muck around bringing salmon on if it wasn't if it wasn't working. And that's that's the pressure of these finals, right The coaches, they've got to make their decisions pretty quickly before the gap gets too big. Of course we've We've talked to Maddie. We've seen her swing into that wing attack position. That's been great. Simpson at Gold Defense, she did well there in the in the weekend.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's funny, isn't it, Because you think of Gaby Simpson and you don't think a tall player.
Speaker 1: You think she was always a hustler, real Aussie wing defense that got in the area. So what are we going for this one? Who's who's going Tactics, Who's going Pole?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm going to put my with a queen of yes, of hopeless choicing. I think the Poles will take it, and I think we'll come through and we'll have another repeat of last year's.
Speaker 1: Grand Final Pols Mystics. I'm going to go Tactics just purely because I'm a Kenab and they're playing at home, and I actually want the Tactics to win pulsive one at three times at someone else's turn, the Tactics mistics. I'm hoping for that for the Grand Final. I literally do not know, you do not care. I don't actually play for neither team, don't have but it is to me I find it really hard to pick because of the inconsistency, and we've spoken about this all season. Hit on the line of Dean, We've just done it. I would then go Technics. They're at home, and I think that they have been getting really good crowds at home, and I think that will be you know, the eight flat. I know it's not supposed to influence umpires and things, but you know, subconsciously you wonder if it's a fifty to fifty call and the whole crowd screaming at you if you just slightly lean towards the red and black. So because of home advantage nothing else, I'm going to say Technics.
Speaker 2: But haven't the crowd's been great. I mean we've had sellout crowds out at Trusts. Yes, we haven't seen those for years, which is, you know, so fabulous.
Speaker 1: My mate came up from Blenham and wanted to go online and buy a ticket sold out, couldn't get one. I said, you should have just rocked up to Trust arena and I'm sure you would a snack in, but yeah, you couldn't get one.
Speaker 2: Well she probably couldn't have. Actually, anyway, we won't. We've just I've just got it. I really want this is so impressive. When I was reading about Amarani Melisella. She is going to be admitted to the bar in November, and I mean, I love the fact she's obviously just loves the drama. And she's also going to be admitted with her sister. Yeah, and they're going to be they're both fluent and terreo and someone and you just think Jeepers Netball has so many of these sort of people.
Speaker 1: And what I love about her too, she knows her role. You know, she's not sulking on the sideline because I want to start. You know, she knows her role, and her role has been to come on and have impact and come on normally in that last five minute, and she's embraced that. I mean that's pretty cool because as we all know, you want to start, that's normally the feeling you start from. But she gets that wider picture, which is pretty cool. Well, she secured it for them. She was the buzzer beater in that game on the weekend that secured the win to get them into that elimination final. So very impressive. Before we go, SECN are finishing up gen.
Speaker 2: They are, they found their top four. All we're not all played but they've got the minor semi final and the Major semi final minus semi final on Saturday. That will be the Thunderbirds at home to the Victims. Now that's a sudden death. If you lose, you know you're off. But the big one Sunday at six is the Fever versus the Swift. Now that you you know, if you lose, you still have a life, and so the loser of that match will play the winner of the other. So that's slightly different systems.
Speaker 1: We do it like that, yes, we Why we changed because I think, you know, the Mystics aren't going to get a weekend off right straight through to the ground and final, and it's always a tough fun do you want to keep playing? I'm sure they will have a game, they'll probably play them main, but yeah, it's an interesting one. I think I prefer the way that the Ossies do it, and you have the Major Major, Minor and then then.
Speaker 2: So best of luck to the Swift. I sort of feel like, you know, Casey Corper has done her thing with the Giants, and I presume she's probably back.
Speaker 1: Home game on prepared her for that. Keep watching game on Tuesday. Tuesday nights on TV three. I think it is. I think we should at the end say how good the Mystics were. By the way as well, because I feel like Mistis fans are going to be like, you didn't talk about the Mystics and they played really well, So shout out to the Mystics. They were very, very good.
Speaker 2: And didn't matter who went on the court, like when Holly Ray went on, I thought she was outstanding. Every every player.
Speaker 1: We will focus a lot on them next week because we will be previewing that Grand Final next week. Of course, it is the elimination final on Sunday between the Tactics and that seven forty kickoff, and then we will wrap that game and then preview the big one, the Grand Final. Look forward to having you back next week. Until then, martewa