Speaker 1: You're listening to the Weekend Sport podcast with Jason Vine from News Talks EDB. The only place for the big names, the big issues, the big controversies, and the big conversations. It's all on Weekend Sports with Jason Vine and the udi Q seven Dynamic Black Runout edition on Youth Talks EDB, your home of sport.
Speaker 2: Bideck you're to get afternoon. Welcome into a new month, and welcome into the Saturday edition of Weekend Sport on News Talks EDB for the first of August fifty years, half a century since this two hundred meters left.
Speaker 3: I watch man dam right on behind John Walker.
Speaker 2: He's very strong.
Speaker 3: Walker's got in the front. He's good to stay there. Walk about Damn Partland. Well, that's coming strongly in the best traditions of tech, Lovelock and metters. Now, John Walker, when's the fifteen hundred meters gold medal at the Olympic Game?
Speaker 2: When you can you believe that's fifty years ago, Olympic fifteen hundred out of gold in Montreal, August the fir nineteen seventy six for John Walker. I'm Jason Pine Show producer Andy McDonald. We're talking Sport until three heaps to get through some thoughts on the FIFA situation in just a moment. Gold and bronze in the women's pole vault this morning in Glasgow. Eliza McCartney and Imma Generis both on the podium, going to celebrate that this hour. Couple of great studio guests as well today Stephen Adams after one, Shane Cameron with us after two. Rising darts star Jan von Fayne is also on the show. Ed of the New Zealand Darts Masters in a fortnight from now, and we'll preview a very very important gain for the Warriors against the Titans on the Gold Coach this afternoon. First up today though Stephen Fleming is the new England Test cricket coach. Going to get some reaction from the UK shortly. Your thoughts on this are welcome as well. How to reckon we'll go and why do those in power at English cricket seem to like keep we so much? Live Sport will keep it on the MPC Counties Manico hosting Tatanuki from five past two, but as always this is your show to contribute to A eight hundred and eighty ten eighty for your phone calls nine two ninety two for your text messages, emails into Jason at newstalksb dot co dot NZ nine past midday.
Speaker 1: The scoreboard only tells half the story. Finally tells the rest. Weekend Sport with Jason Vine and the Audi Q seven Dynamic Black Runout Edition Test Drive Today News.
Speaker 2: Talks env just before we move, as you heard in the Sports News with Elliott. In the last hour, FIFA President Jianni and Fantino has issued a statement on his proposal to sell off a section of FIFA tournaments, including World Cups, to private investors now. When his plan came to light in the last few days, it was met with major opposition from all parts of the football family. YUWEFA, conker CAFF and the Asian Football Confederation all voiced their official opposition to it in very strong language, threatening to boycott future World Cups unless the scheme was abandoned, and senior officials at FIFA, including Gianni and Fantino's senior advisor Carlos Cadero, have quit in protest of both the idea itself and the unilateral way in which it was being pulled together without any form of consultation at all, and now the idea is dead in the water. The statement from the FIFA President reads as follows. I'll read this verbatim. The FIFA Forward Enterprise project was intended to provide a basis for further strengthening our FIFA member associations and our sport worldwide, especially in those countries where supporters most needed, and more so, as we said from the outset to do this only if a majority of the FIFA member associations were in support and always subject to a consultation process with them, the FIFA Council, the confederations and wider stakeholders. The statement goes on to say, having listened carefully to all the views, it's become clear that the project has created divisions of a nature that, regardless of the level of support, are no longer in the interest of the objective set out in the first place. Our purpose has always been and will always be, to unite and improve. As a result, this proposal will not proceed, and the statement from Infantino finishes moving forward, My intent is to bring all interested parties back together in the coming days and weeks in the spirit of shared interest in our game and with the objective to continue growing football everywhere, particularly in those countries that mostly need our support. That is the end of the statement. This is an enforced back down of staggering, unprecedented proportions and a misjudgment of the highest order from Gianni and Fantino, which has led to utter humiliation for him. During his time as FIFA president, Infantino has become more and more detached from reality, to the point where he thought he was some sort of all powerful head of the global game and could do whatever he liked without any regard littlone discussion with anybody else. His arrogance, his levels of delusion have become breathtaking. The game is not Gianni Infantinos to sell. It is not anyone's to sell. Those in the corridors of power at FIFA are merely guardians of the game. They are not the owners of any part of it. FIFA exists to administer the game and to ensure ensure its development in all parts of the world. But somewhere along the line, Gianni Infantino has fallen under the severe misapprehension that he is somehow bigger than the game himself, or bigger than the game itself he is not, and this may well mark the beginning of the end for a man who has become deeply unpopular as football's supposed global leader. Anyone with a shred of dignity or self awareness would now resign, but Infantino has neither of those things, and so he won't. Our good friend on the show, Seb Stafford Blower wrote today in The Athletic that this is Jarni and Fantino's Icarus moment. The FIFA president has finally flown too close to the sun and the consequences for him may well and should be swift and severe. Big Gaus Big Moments.
Speaker 1: We cand Sport with Jason Vine and the outi Q seven Dynamic Black Runout edition from.
Speaker 2: News Talk z'b. Your thoughts of this are welcome through all the usual channels. Will dig down more into it as well on the show tomorrow, but any thought you have would be welcome. But former Black Caps captain Stephen Fleming is the issue for discussion to kick us off today. Confirmed as the head coach of England's men's test site, he succeeds former teammate Brendan McCullum in charge of the red ball side. McCullum will retain the white ball coaching roles. Stephen Fleming has signed a four year deal. He'll officially take charge away in South Africa later in the year. Let's get some insight into this from English based cricket writer Cameron Ponsonby. Cameron, thanks for joining us across New Zealand. What's the reaction been to Stephen Fleming being appointed England Test cricket coach.
Speaker 4: I'll change to a ki Wei friend of mine. He was wondering how Steven Fleming was going to balance the test role with his role as the fujitsu heat pump man.
Speaker 5: I don't know. That didn't mean that much to me, but.
Speaker 4: He said it was very important there how he was going to manage to do the two things at the same time. We're kind of we're just learning as we go at the moment because Stephen Fleming, he's got all the IPL credentials, but as we've kind of got used to having the big kind of celebrity personality of Brenda McCollum over the last four years, so I think everyone just wants everything to calm down a little bit.
Speaker 5: I think where it feels like an adult's being hired.
Speaker 4: I think that's kind of probably the most realistic assessment where the fear was we were going to end up with like Justin Langer and purposefully kind of go from one end of the spectrum with Brendan McCollum and then all of a sudden go all the way to the other end and with a really intense coach. But it sounds like Stephen Fleming's probably a bit of a happy middle grounds. It helps that him and McCollum know each other because the weird thing at the moment is like the ex girlfriends still in the room.
Speaker 5: Brenda mccllum's still here.
Speaker 4: He's leading the white ball teams and so this new Test head coach is going to have to manage that relationship. It's a bit strange because he's not doing the South Africa SERI or sorry, the Pakistan series but starts in a couple of weeks, so obviously in England's to too much of a degree in my opinion, we focus on the Ashes, but there's ten Test matches to go into next year's Ashes. He misses three, he's only gonna have seven, So the first series he has at home will be that Ashes series. Next year, but I think overall people are content that sensible man has been given the job.
Speaker 2: Well, it's been one of the most successful franchise coaches in world cricket in the last little while, but this is his first international coaching role. Does his success at Chinnai translate to the teat arena or are they really just completely different jobs.
Speaker 4: I think it's an amazing question, and it's a debate I've been having with my own friends about how peculiar it is that the last two head coaches that England have appointed, neither of them ever led a red Bull game. And I think it's more of a not an indictment, but a representation of the modern sports. So what if you're Brendan McCullum and Stephen Fleming, and let's say you're kind of around forty five to fifty five years old when you retired, your first coaching opportunities were probably in T twenty cricket because that's where the new opportunities were, and it's taken less seriously at that point. And now we're ten to fifteen years on and all the most experienced coaches are from a T twenty background because the most the highest paid jobs are in the IPL, and that's how you are.
Speaker 5: Those are the plumb jobs now.
Speaker 4: So I'm fascinated to see if that makes a difference, because it sounds like listening to players and other pundits, it says not, really, you're kind of coaching the basics. You're managing a team, you're managing personalities as much as you're teaching someone to play a cover drive.
Speaker 5: But I do find it interesting that in a world.
Speaker 4: Where playing like red ball and white ball, players are becoming so specialized in those two games are going further and further apart in the coaching arena at least, that that's very different. So I imagine it won't make a difference. I think the fact that he's had the experience of managing MS Tony and that character and that media intensity over in the IPL that will see him go really well over here in a way that Adam Milne was bowling some Yorkers and it's like, oh, he doesn't need to do that in the test game.
Speaker 5: So I think I think it should be okay.
Speaker 4: But it's a question I don't know the answer to, and it's one I'm kind of interested to see how it works out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So wait, so we Cameron, you mentioned it before and you bought it really well. The ex girlfriend is still there. Brandan McCallum is still in the mix obviously, and he is the England white ball coach, so he is red and white ball coaches of England. This isn't you you've head split coaches before. How much contact will Stephen Fleming and Brendan McCallum have to have.
Speaker 4: There's going to have to be loads because next summer we have the Ashes series here in July and then two months later it's the ODI World Cup, so there's going to have to be a real balance struck between those two setups and it's awkward. So we actually just spoke to Rob Key, who's the managing Oh my god, what is his job? Director of cricket something like that. I've gone and completely forgotten. He's one of the big boys in charge, and we've been talking about he's talking about. What's different between now and before is when COVID kind of bummed up the schedule for England. They're playing so much cricket that they end up playing two series at the same time in different parts of the world, so they'd play a white ball tour in the West Indies and the Test team would be landing in Pakistan basically at the same time, and so you literally could not have your two best teams going out onto the pitch because you'd need Joff Archer to be in Karachi and Grenada and he can't do that, whereas now there is a little bit more kind of breathing room in the schedule where there is gaps between the two. However, look, if you're Brendan McCullum and you're like, well, hang on, I'm getting judged on my results here and you're not letting me have joff Erararchi or Josh Tungu or whoever my quick bowlers are because that you've got to look after him for the Test match. I don't want that to come back on me if we then lose the matches where they're not available for me. And that is what happened with Matthew Mott, who was the previous white ball coach in England, and that he basically never had his first choice team until the last od I World Up where England got thumped basically, and so he's always kind of cutted a bit of it.
Speaker 5: He's been a bit of an unfortunate figure in.
Speaker 4: English cricket because he's never had the opportunity to work with the best team that he could and now that scenario shouldn't quite happen again with Brenda McCollum. But without doubt, without doubt, it's going to be office politics, kind of behind the scenes of trying to make sure both parties will want their best team. And you know who's going to win that conversation, Stephen Fleming, because people came more about test cricket.
Speaker 2: Stephen Fleming inheriting a good team.
Speaker 6: No, it's we.
Speaker 4: I think these numbers used to be kind of rattled through my head bit's but with England are losing a lot. We haven't won like a multi match series since like the end of twenty twenty four, since we played you guys.
Speaker 5: Actually, you guys just beat us at home.
Speaker 4: That's the first time we've lost like a proper series at home since twenty twelve. We've got thumps in the ashes. We didn't beat India. They always talk about this stuff. It annoys me so much because they talk about how we judge ourselves against India and Australia. I'm like, well, other teams like are good and exists, and I was actually quite I can say this because I'm talking on New Zealand radio rather than at home, Like I was kind of relieved when you guys beat us because I see, like other countries are good. We can't we shouldn't just be spending all our time focusing on these only these two series.
Speaker 5: We're going to go to South Africa away.
Speaker 4: They probably gonna beat us as well because they're a really good cricket team, but they say we're going to focus on India and Australia and across Brekenda McCollum's time in charge, we won six out of twenty matches against those guys. We never beat them in one of the big series. So when it comes down to the kind of the series, the results where they are judged they've not performed to the level they want.
Speaker 5: Is the team which basically is new now.
Speaker 4: So Joe Root's basically the last of that previous generation that a lot of you, Ben Stokes, Stuart Braw, James Anderson, Johnny Bears, so, Chris Wokes, everyone's gone that it's just Joe Root left and he's now captain again. So he's basically leaving the children forward. It's not a bad cricket team. There has a lot of potential in it. Harry Brook is a phenomenally talented cricketer. Ben Ducketts had a bit of a dip recently, but he's excellent as well.
Speaker 5: There's exciting bowlers.
Speaker 4: We don't have a spinner, but I mean you guys get by with Ratchan and Glenn Phillips, so maybe maybe you don't need one. No, So basically what I'm saying is if Stephen Fleming has success, congratulations because he's changed something because we've been losing recently.
Speaker 2: Now, well you mentioned Joe Roup before. He's back as taste capt and then there's always a lot of chet. When Brendan McCallum was in charge, he and benchs the coach captain relationship was always seen as is very important. How do you evaluate the potential Stephen Fleming Joe Root partnership as coach in captain in red ball cricket for England?
Speaker 4: Just sensible, so responsible, two kind of men who are just going to make sure everything's okay. It's a really bizarre situation that Joe Rue is back in the saddle because he was a broken Man. At the end of his previous tenure as Captaincy, England had won one match in seventeen, we'd had COVID, they'd gone away to Australia and played a horrible lockdown series.
Speaker 5: They've then gone to India as well.
Speaker 4: And that's actually it's sounding more rather than it being that's a scar, which means he never wanted this job again. It's actually feels like a bit of an injustice that it was left in the way it was because before that final year and a half of Joe's roots Captaincy, if you just skip a tiny bit ahead, his stock had never really been higher. He had this generational series away in Sri Lanka where England won I think they won three nil. Then they went to Indian and they won the first Test of this series and Joe it pretty much scored centuries in.
Speaker 5: All the games and it was like, Wow, this is the time where the man.
Speaker 4: Who previously husd to not be able to turn fifties into hundreds, which is something him and Stephen Pleman can have a chat about that'd be nice, has now kind of cracked that kind of curse he had. He's now scoring loads of runs England are winning, and then like the world exploded and so too did the England kind of fortunes within cricket, and so now he had the little taste of it again at the Oval when Ben Stokes was suspended for his late night antics, and then it just feels like he's got a chance to put a bowl on everything. The fear that I think we have as fans is he's batting so brilliantly and the Test captaincy did overall not right at the end of his tenure, but overall impacts his battle performance. He does average less when he's captain than when he's.
Speaker 5: Not, So in a best case scenario, he's not having to do this. It's just Joe.
Speaker 4: You carry on back in for another two or three years, catch Statchington, Dolker, Winner, Nash years and ride off into the sunset.
Speaker 5: It should be Harry Brooke.
Speaker 4: He's twenty seven, he's played forty Test matches, averages fifty five. On paper, he's absolutely the correct candidate, and it's an indictment of the fact that no one else is ready to do it, that Joe's having to have another go. But I think from his perspective, he saw how tight McCollum and Stokes were were and how much Stokes enjoyed working with someone who was kind of that they bonded with and saving filhme, he's got reputation as a great tactician, and Rupe went, you know what, let's have an overgo at this and kind of sign off the way I would like to as opposed to the way it had happened previously.
Speaker 2: And the other big discussion point, obviously of Bringda McCallum's rign was what happened off the field England's cricket culture. I guess she'd call it, well, what kind of influence do you think state than flaming will have on the culture of the team beyond just you know, tectics in team selection.
Speaker 4: Well, there's an interview he did with the Cricket Monthly a couple of years ago, which is doing the rounds now in England, where there's a paragraph of text where you could copy and paste it and it would sound like Brendan McCollum about optional training sessions and player autonomy and just giving the responsibility to the players. So it sounds like it's going to be a little bit of a reversion to the mean here where it's still going to be player first, individualized, you guys look after yourself, but just with the kind of the eyes dotted and the t's crossed and a little bit more attention to detail, which I think sounds like a happy middle ground. There's really strange thing that and a great example of how things and why things went wrong over in England is when Brendan McCollums started as England had Test coach, it was like the most freewheeling, carefree, relaxed environment in cricket, in world cricket. And that team finished with a bedtime. That was the change that happened. They put a curfew in they're not drinking on match days. That it was the distinct shift that happened of how it all kind of fell apart and so as bizarre as it may sound, given Brendan McCallum has a reputation for being very kind of relaxed, if not casual, I think is the way they describe it. It's going to have to get more relaxed again because at the moment the fact that on the last day of a Test match, if England win, like the guys can't have a beer with each other in the changing room Like that's that's absurd, Like what what situation we got to where that arguably the best bit of playing team sports is taken away and the idea of that, oh you got to be in bed by twelve, like I have a day like what we're talking about here. So hopefully he can just be sensible, bringing probably more structured training regimes and basically how the professionalism, but also have the leeway for everyone to be able to just be grown ups and be trusted to go to a better twelve thirty A drink sounds right?
Speaker 2: It does all right to me, Cameron. You've given us amazing insight made It's a fascinating time for English cricket. We'll be watching with great interest as Stephen Fleming takes the reins. Thanks for joining us across New Zealand to lend us your analysis.
Speaker 5: No, thank you, Jason Chairs Now.
Speaker 2: Good on you mate. That is our Cameron Ponsonby, England based cricket writer on the appointment of Stephen Fleming as English Test cricket coach twelve twenty nine. Your chance to give us your reaction to the lines open on eight hundred and eighty ten eighty. I saw a bit of rhetoric during the week which suggested Stephen Fleming coaching England was somehow unpatriotic. I could not agree less with that. I have to say Stephen Fleming can coach whoever he wants to, just like any key week coach in any sport can coach any team that wants them. At the Helm, we have long since moved past the point where teams and nations only consider their countrymen and women to coach them. Appointments are made on ability, not nationality, and when Brendan mcallum got the England job, I heard some similar stuff and the secondary layer to it, which was probably to be fair, at the heart of any negativity was why can't he coach us? Look of New Zealand Cricket wanted Brendan mcallum or Stephen Fleming or anyone coaching the black Caps, they are absolutely free and able to explore that option. The feeling has always been that we can't compete with the money that is on offer elsewhere, and that's probably true. But if New Zealand Cricket really really wanted a certain coach, be it Stephen Fleming, Brendan McCullum or anyone they could if they wanted to, if they really wanted to, they could make it happen financially. The fact is, though, that taking over as Black Aps coach, Rob Walter has done a pretty exceptional job. I'm not sure too many of us knew that much about him before, certainly not as much as we did about Brendan McCullum or Stephen Fleming. But Rob Walter as very quickly and pretty quietly built up an excellent body of work, including the Tea series win over England in England, which has us now looking forward with great optimism towards the tour by India and our tour of Australia in the next six months or so. But on Stephen Fleming, I think this is a great appointment by England, extremely impressive bloke and as Camerger said, a slightly different type of character to Brendan McCullum, which was probably needed. Stephen Fleming's never coached international cricket, so I guess there's a small question mark there, but there's never been any question about his cricket in IQ or as man management ability. I mean, you don't survive and thrive for seventeen years in the cutthroat quadron of the IPL without having a bit about you. I think he'll be great for England. And even if he did have a thought that he was in some way being unpatriotic, which I doubt he is, it wouldn't be based on anything other than the odds snipe from cricket fans here who are probably just a bit gutted that he's coaching England and not us. Twelve thirty one, Dallas with you after this eight hundred and eighty ten eighties and number nine two ninety two for your text messages. This is Weekend Sport on Newstalk's EDB.
Speaker 1: Big Calls, Big Moments We Can Sport with Jason Vine and the outi Q seven Dynamic Black Runout edition from one thirty nine nine ninety News Talks.
Speaker 2: EDB coming up twenty six away from one want to get you to the Woman's Pole Vault in Glasgow before one o'clock but talking some cricket. Hello Dallas, Hi, Tonny, how you doing very good things?
Speaker 1: Dallas.
Speaker 7: I think it's a great appointment. I feel very proud as Akiwi that we're so well recognized and respected in English cricket and yeah, I think it's amazing that he's never actually coached the Test team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think he's Yeah, no, it is, and I'm sure he's had approaches. He's been up in the IPL with Chennai for yes, seventeen years. I mean even to last seventeen years in the IPL for whatever reason, you know, whether you get sick of it or they get sick of you, the results don't go your way. To last that long, you've got to have a bit about you. And yeah, I'm looking forward to hearing from Stephen Fleming. I haven't seen any media with him. We reached out to him and he said, look, he can't really talk at the moment, but he will when the time is right. Really keen to find out from him why he felt like this was the right opportunity at this time.
Speaker 7: Yeah, no, no, it will be interesting. I think it isn't a steak with Joe Route being captain. I think he's a terrible captain. He just seems to have no feel on the on the ground for the game and he always seems to over bowl.
Speaker 8: For Archer or.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think being a great batsman doesn't necessarily translate to Captaincy. I think we saw that with Williamson as well, So yeah, I think that's a bit of a weakness. But hey, I've got a prediction. Finally, go on, Ben Stokes. We're back for the ashes here, alright.
Speaker 2: I'll take the beat with you, Dallas. I'll take the beat. I'll take the beat that he won't be.
Speaker 9: I don't know.
Speaker 2: We bought on chocolate fish or something. I don't know.
Speaker 7: He'll be back. It'll be. They love drama over there, they love the drama, big comeback.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 7: The other thing is I invented the word flemblele ehl p at l.
Speaker 2: Gm different kind of flem ha. Good on your Dallas, Thanks mate, You're right. I think we do it. We agree that they do like a bit of drama over there. It feels like to me though, and I you know, not saying that Brenda McCallum did, but it feels to me as though Stephen Fleming would have no time for that, would just not be interested in any drama whatsoever, he said a coach a cricket team. To be fair, Brenda McCullum was as well. I think drama just happens around around English sports teams. For whatever reason. Just on Joe Root, I hope that in his second crack at captain c that he aligns himself with some of the values of Steven Fleming, which you'll get the opportunity to do that. You know, the coach captain relationship in cricket is probably more integral to a team's success than in most other sports, the way that the two go together, and often you get a couple of similar personalities. And I think we probably had that with Brenda McCullum and Ben Stokes and Stephen Fleming and Joe Roots strike me as fairly similar types of cricketing personalities. And Cameron Ponsonby said said exactly that. He said, you know that they're both deep thinkers about the game. I like the tactics and the and the minutia of the game. So I hope that Stephen Fleming brings out the best and Joe Root, Hi Jason. The nonsense of some people objecting to our sports greats coaching elsewhere it started when Russell Coots and Brad Butterworth went to another team after the two thousand. America's carpets are a garbage, says Tony. People are free to use their skills anywhere they wish. Totally agree, Tony totally agree, Pinty correct decision, says this one. McCullum white bull, Fleming, red bull.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 2: When when Brenda McCullum was first was first appointed as the Test coach, because that was the job he was appointed to first, they had split coaches and Brenda McCullum took the red ball job, and I guess we probably all thought, you know what, Brendan McCullum just feels better suited to white ball coaching. He was a brilliant Test cricketer, as we know, but white ball just seems to suit his personality, his approach, his aggression, that sort of thing. Put it this way, if I said to you, okay, Brendan McCullum, Stephen Fleming, one of them is going to coach the white ball team, one of them is going to coach the red ball team. Which would you choose for which? It's funny, isn't it? That Stephen Fleming has made such a brilliant career out of white ball coaching and Brendan mullum got an opportunity at international level to coach red ball when it feels really natural though, it should be the other way around, and now it is so. Not only are we interested now in tracking what happens to England's test side, it's going to be very very interesting too, now, unencumbered from the test stuff, whether Brendan McCullum can make a real good guy of the white ball stuff. Jason, it is possible to accept that Stephen Fleming is perfectly free to do this and at the same time be a little disappointed that he wants to coach against his own country. Patriotism isn't the only virtual virtue. Rather, but it's undeniable that this isn't a patriotic choice. Yeah, look, I take the point, of course. I think we'd all love it. If I would have loved to have had Brenda mullen coach in the black Caps, would love to have had Stephen Fleming coach in the black Caps. That may happen down the track, but I already, in these days of modern professional sport, I fail to see how patriotism can be in any way ascribed as a you know, as a reason why somebody does or doesn't do something. If this is the right opportunity for Stephen Fleming, then he should take it. And he has twenty to one. Gonna take a right comeback talk some women's pole vault Golden bronze in Glasgow this morning. We'll cover that off when we come back.
Speaker 1: Sport doesn't Stomp at the full time Whistle Weekend Sport with Jason Pine and the outi Q seven Dynamic Black Runout Edition includes thirty thousand dollars of premium upgrades. Call oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty News Talk said.
Speaker 2: Be coming up sixteen to one Golden bronze and the women's pole vault at the Calm Games this morning. Kennedy, No, she can't. It's a gold medal for New Zealand.
Speaker 12: Eliza McCartney has won the gold medal.
Speaker 13: Well, Nina Kennedy. We did not expect to have four sixty five on her card today as her best height.
Speaker 4: Got a silver.
Speaker 2: Medalist today and a guaranteed gold in.
Speaker 13: Glasgow for this woman here. Redemption for McCartney.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Eliza McCartney Gold imagineeris bronze. Olivia mctaggett finished fourth the other KIW that was the v there at the end of former Olympian Sarah Cowley Ross, who was on the call with Sky and offered some brilliant analysis. You must have really enjoyed that, Sarah oh, I loved it, and I.
Speaker 13: Think New Zealand would have loved waking up to that result, or hopefully they got up early and watched it. But what a thrilling final and just so wonderful to see Eliza on top of the podium after such a long journey in the pole vault, and also to have you know her New Zealand teammate image and Ras there as well.
Speaker 2: Just before we unpack what happened in the competition, and just from your words there you also use the word redemption in commentary. And it has been quite the journey for Eliza McCartney, hasn't it Since she won bronze at Rio. What's that ten years ago?
Speaker 14: Now?
Speaker 13: Yeah, she shot to fame and she was only nineteen then and we forget that, you know, And it has been just a tumultuous journey, probably is an understatement for Eliza after that silver at the Gold Coast Common Math Games, follow years of Kelly's troubles inflammatory conditions, and she missed Tokyo Olympics, she missed the Birmingham Games, and you would have to say this is a story of resilience, of courage to keep going, and just the smile on her face. It was trademark McCartney, but also some tears in there as well because it means so much to her and her team.
Speaker 2: So we got to form me to seventy. Eliza McCartney had cleared every previous height at the first attempt Australia Nana Kennedy had a miss at four sixty five. So when neither of them could clear four seventy, Eliza McCartney took the gold on countback. So what did you make of her clearances? It for me to thirty four, to forty five, for fifty five and for sixty five all at the first attempt.
Speaker 13: Well, I'd heard that Eliza was in really good shape and those clearances certainly indicated that. And I think had the competition gone on Kennedy, if she had for seventy, I definitely think Eliza was in You know, you saw her attempt at three, her third attempt at four seventy. She's in brilliant shape and brilliant condition. I think that she's entering these championships for the first time in a long time injury free and got it really showed out there, you know her class and her temperament as well.
Speaker 2: When you're watching somebody in the pole vault, I don't know, we all just watch it with a sense of wonder that they can they can even put all of these moving parts together. What do you look for to tell you that somebody is pole vaulting really?
Speaker 7: Well, well, it starts with.
Speaker 13: The runner, and so with all the jumps in the athletics program, how someone runs really tells you a lot about then how they're going to take off, and then in the poll, how are they going to invert, how they're going to get over the bar, So the way they were running, the way they were covering the ground, all going forward, so then that they can store that kinetic and elastic energy in the poll to really.
Speaker 14: Launch them up and over.
Speaker 2: Many athletes have a steely determination on their face at the top of their run up, not just in pole vault, but in long jump and really at the start of a lot of events. There's a steely determination on athletes faces. By contrast, Eliza McCartney has this wide smile at the top of hers Do you think that's a deliberate part of her routine.
Speaker 13: I think it is now. I think that it's intentional. You know, when an athlete is having fun out there, and we've seen this across the common mask games, they are more inclined to embrace the moment and get out there and do their best. I mean the contrast was Nina Kennedy's face, which is always like that. Actually she's a bit of an assassin Kennedy, but she didn't have it today against McCartney.
Speaker 2: Imaginaris takes the bronze. Were you a bit worried when she missed her first term at four thirty?
Speaker 14: I was, actually I.
Speaker 13: Was thinking, oh God, please don't do this to us, because that's you know, to not clear a height at a game is just, you know, a field of vents. Well any inventor's worse nightmare. And for her to you know, settle the nerves down. She knew she had the height, she just needed to tidy up a few factors. And in Polville, you know, the margins are just so small, so you're off by a fraction and the jump sort of unravels itself. And you know, once she got that underway, you just saw it, and that your shoulders relaxed a little bit and then it was a great four forty five clearance and four fifty five clearance at on first attempt.
Speaker 2: Will she be happy with bronze, imaginaris?
Speaker 13: I think she will be because you know, she started the year before this year she hadn't jumped over four seventy, So I think yes, if you'd asked in the in the front half of the year, were her extash's high Absolutely in terms of heights. I know that, you know, after jumping for eighty one in June that then she got you know, had ale of sickness and a few other niggles. So I think today she'll be delighted four fifty five, you know, bronze in Birmingham, bronze in Glasgow and another major championship podium.
Speaker 2: I think I heard you mentioned a couple of times here in commentary. Today was the wind and the athletes looking over at the windsock to I guess get the optimum time to jump. How much of a factor was the wind today?
Speaker 13: Well it was huge, that's and that's why we didn't see those those great heights that these athletes have all jumped this year. I mean Nani Kennedy, she took the lives of the Oceana record off her for ninety five and to catapult into the sixth best jumper of all time. So this is not about a competition where you got to do your absolute best when conditions are like this, and particularly in the pole vot. The other factor that which I didn't mention in commentary was actually that the positioning of where they jumped, so the polevot was on on what we say in athletics on the d so on the curve as opposed to being on the straight, and that adds an extra element as well. You've got you know, there was races going on. They had to pause for metal ceremonies so that the height reflects the conditions. But they were able to handle the championship element of this competition very well.
Speaker 2: All right, So golden bronze and the women's pole vault still to come. Some key we interest in the track and field Ethan Olivia men's triple jump tonight, a couple of keys in the men's pole vault Tory Morby and the women's javelin sam Tana and the men's mile. What chance here we see a couple more medals?
Speaker 13: Perhaps I think that certainly in the field, and you never know. With the men's mile, it will be run very fast, I would say. And Josh, you know after you know, only setting the world record in the mile, and if you saw him in the heat, how teg he was, you know, trying to get his home crowd. The Scotsman get up for these gentlemen doing their qualifying race, So that will be hot. If Tann is in a good position, you never know what's going to happen. But I'm calling the triple jump tonight and then the javelin in the morning, and then.
Speaker 15: The pole vault.
Speaker 13: In the pole volt I would say, could be a cheeky bronze potentially, Again it will come down to strategy and the conditions and the javelin. Tory Morby, if she can get one over around sixty meters, she'll be in the mixer. And in the triple jump tonight. Ethan Olivia, who's one of the real talents of this team in terms of potential for the future. Will junior champion in this event. I think high sixteen to seventeen will be on the podium. That's definitely in his wheelhouse. But again, just like the pole vault, the wind conditions in the stadium will certainly be a factor in that trouble jump final.
Speaker 2: No, look forward to watching all of those keys in action. Just before you go, a word on Zoe Hobbs, who you know so well. Gee, what a moment for her? How significant is her? Is her one hundred meter gold?
Speaker 13: It is phenomenal Piney and Bosh even a few days later, makes me emotional just that you're with your intro there to her. I mean, what a gold. I think that it's captured New Zealand, which is wonderful to see. And you know, lots of people are talking about it that would never talk about sprinting before. And when you think about it, you know, out of all events at the Common Mark Games, out of all the sports you do in your life, lots of people have run one hundred meters at their school at Edicts Day. So it's an event we can all you know, have done in our lives. And Zoe winning you know, from lane seven in the rain, in the time, and the way she executed that race absolutely phenomenal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, amazing, Thank you so much, Sarah. Sarah Kelly Ross with us on Weekend Sports six and a half to one. Coming up, three to one one o'clock News and then joined in studio by Stephen Adams, who is back in New Zealand to help launch a brand new initiative alongside the Warriors to get more key week kids playing sport. Steven Adams after one.
Speaker 1: The only place to discuss the biggest sports issues on.
Speaker 14: Head off the field a story.
Speaker 1: It's all on Weekend Sports with Jason Vine and the udi Q seven Dynamic Black Runout edition on News Talks MB, your home of sport.
Speaker 2: Welcome into News Talks NB and Weekend Sport. I'm Jason Pine. Andy McDonald is show producer. We're here till three. It's one oh seven. Stephen Adams has spent more than a decade forging an outstanding basketball career in the NBA. He has become one of our greatest sports people. Impact stretches well beyond the basketball court. Through his Pathways trust, he's already helped thousands of KIW kids access sport and the opportunities that come with it. And now he's teaming up with the one New Zealand Warriors on a new initiative designed to give even more young New Zealanders the chance to play, grow and thrive regardless of the sport they choose. It's a partnership built around removing barriers, creating opportunities and using the power of sport to make a real difference in young lives. Stephen Adams is back in the country and joins us on Weekend Sports. Stephen, thanks for popping in. Congratulations on this a wonderful initiative. Why was partnering with the Warriors the right fit for.
Speaker 8: You because we have a like minded his interest now we have similar interests. Just trying to help out the youth, starting from grassroots and just yeah, supporting as many kids as possible. Again, there's one thing about sport. It teaches you a lot about values, and especially the Kiwi values. Number one thing that the feedback I get from the kids that I fly over to the States is that they're very well mannered. They look after their things, you know what I mean, and other people's things. And that's like the biggest respect that I could get, honestly, because it's just it just shows like the character, and I think we have a very unique special character in New Zealand. We work hard, but then also respect everything.
Speaker 2: You know, and you mentioned the worries there you believe they share similar traits in the in the in the qualities I guess, and the values that they display. It felt like a good fit for you.
Speaker 8: Yeah, because like again, like if if you want to pursue sports, then that's cool. That's more up to the individual. But the environment that we're setting it just gives the opportunity to do that. But if you if you want to pivot to something else, that's cool. You will still get something from it as well. And just partnering with each other, I think this just helps with the outreach and bring awareness to what we're doing, because it's really cool what we're doing.
Speaker 13: Man.
Speaker 8: Honestly, like I enjoyed every time, and that's why I do it every year. It's like one of the most exciting times of the year for me, you know, coming back seeing the kids and then also just like looking back on say some of my first camps. Those kids who are at my first camp like ten twelve years ago, they're helping out at these camps, you know what I mean, and it's just like it's a crazy it's a really crazy feeling, but it's awesome that we've been building this long and then they're giving back to the next generation.
Speaker 2: Love that, man, love that. So, I mean, how important is simply getting access to organize sport because that can be a challenge for some families. How important is that to remove those barriers and make participation possible for as many kids as possible.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, no, that's exactly what we work on, men. So like obviously help Like my camps are all free. Try to make sure we just inject them with like free basketballs peril. And then also some of the sponsors we had meadow Fresh, so then they get a bunch of food, so the parents are happy. They get some milk and stuff like this. Very so when they come and pick up their kids, they don't have to stop into the grocery store or anything. So it's just stuff like that, bro, Like you're can access ability is huge. But as long as they get the basketball they could ribble it around and just participate in sport in general. Like awesome, That's that's all that matters.
Speaker 2: You often talk about the people who had belief in you when you were growing up. Who were those people and how much did they shape the journey that you've taken.
Speaker 8: There was a lot of people. It's hard to list all of them. But obviously right now on top of the head is like the Kenny McFadden.
Speaker 16: Uh.
Speaker 8: He was like he was like the like the leader of the basketball route. But along with that, it's like in terms of like character and stuff like that, it was a Kenny also. But then also my family blossom, she was with me in Wellington, my friends, and you know, just everyone in their basketball community, like everyone, everyone had their had their part in my life. And they're not like all of them are like one to one, like you know, I mean, it's not one more than the other, but they just all played some sort of role. So it's not just me, you know, I mean, it's it's it's all of them. They helped me, help me be me today.
Speaker 17: That you're.
Speaker 2: So if we look down the track, you know, a fan and when this partnership is a success, because it will be what would you like to see five or ten years down the track, what will success look like for this for this initiative.
Speaker 8: Well, the I think what success will look like is that we go to the communities, because again this camp is just one day in a city. What it'll be really cool to say is that they go back to their towns or whatever. And then there is a growth in basketball participation or sports participation in there because yeah, look there's a lot of days of the year, the rest of the year that they're still pursuing sport. That'll be awesome, you know what I mean, Because that's a fertile ecosystem if you will, you know what I mean. It's not like I have to constantly inject something. It's just come back, you know, once a year or whatever, every two years whatever, come in and then they're still growing, you know what I mean, and helping out in their own way, because it doesn't matter. The scale doesn't matter. It's just as long as they're going back. And then there's that constant like helping the youth and just bringing fun like basketball and values and stuff. That'll be awesome.
Speaker 2: Just on you, Stephen. You had ankle surgery in January, Mississian second half of the season with the Rockets. How's the rehab? Yeah, looking for Are you going to be right for the new season?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 8: We're checking that way, bro. It's hard to tell with like injuries, especially ankles, like big dudes, you know, like it's really tough, like in the books that they write about. Yeah, I'm not in there, you know, so it's more like the average size dude. So we have to you know, make some pivots and all that sort of oh stuff. Sorry guys, so all that sort of stuff. So but we're tecking well men. Our preseason starts in September, so very close. Yeah, we do. It's an exciting here, man, Yeah, it is.
Speaker 2: I mean, and for you, I mean over over eight eight hundred and fifty regular season and playoff games since you first, you know, took that that that first course to step into the NBA. How different are you now, man from the Steven Adams who made his NBA debut for OKC in twenty thirteen.
Speaker 8: Oh just very different. Yeah, just a different human and general men, just you know, I mean, like but still the same if that makes sense. There's there's there's parts that's changed, and you know, you kind of go through trial and error so you make some adjustments, but then yeah, you kind of still keep to keep to being kiwi, you know what I mean, as much as I can, I just try and be myself.
Speaker 2: How many more seasons? Sure can you get?
Speaker 18: On?
Speaker 14: You?
Speaker 8: I'll play as long until the wheels fall off, to be honest, man, I'll play. I love playing basketball, brother, you know, i'd much I'll definitely be super proud if I play long enough to see another Kiwi in the in the league, you know what I mean, that'll be that'll be fun.
Speaker 2: Well, there's a few coming through. I mean that there's and I'm sure you've kept tabs on this. There's some good young kids coming through the system. I mean, it might not be too far away before they do join you in the NBA one hundred percent.
Speaker 8: Yeah, there's definitely some talented kids coming through from the Kiwis. But what was cool is that, like there's a lot of scouts actually looking down to New Zealand now, which is which is huge. And so yeah, anyway, we've been supporting them and like just about about those kids and getting that next generation through even just college broke like college and general just getting a scholarship, getting over there, get a free degree, all that gets money as well. Sweet, all good.
Speaker 2: Just a finish man. I mean, you've inspired so many Kiwis through what you've achieved, not just not just Kiwis who love the game of basketball, but but Kiwis who have a dream. When you talk to kids, what is your message to them? If they believe that that dream might be out of their reach.
Speaker 8: Well, I think what I've repeated the most is just like not like not listen to any of the naysayers. It's really tough because I mean I dealt with it too, like you know what I mean, just like people just doubt you, but like just having that general belief in yourself and just dedication, hard work and consistency. I mean, you could get you can get everything done, to be honest. So as long as you as long as you believe in that and you stick by that and not get swayed by like oh let's go to a party or just crack on, bro, and like all the other stuff will still be around, except you'll be a better person. You've proved it to yourself, you know what I mean, You've worked for like the people who supported you, you represented them well, so yeah, you'll be able to be be be awesome. You'll be able to be the man.
Speaker 2: This is a fantastic initiative. Congrats on it. Congrats on partnering with the one New Zealand Warriors on it. I think the benefits are going to be so far reaching. Stephen, great to see you, mate, Thanks for stopping it for.
Speaker 8: A chat, chairs mate, Thank you.
Speaker 2: You as well. Good to see if Stephen Adams joining us. He's partnered with the One New Zealand Warriors to support more Keiwek kids. The Warriors already operate nine academies from Fungadai to in for Cargol, eight nationwide camps for female athletes as well to provide opportunities for young New Zealanders to represent the Warrior's colors. And since twenty fifteen, Steven Adams has done the same with those basketball camps he was talking about, more than ten thousand Kiwi kids have been given the chance to play, to learn and to grow free of charge. So both organizations, the Warriors and Steven Adams have come together, joining forces to give greater exposure and access to sport for young people. Now, the fundraising campaign for what the Steven Adams Pathway Foundation is going to be launched at the Warrior's home game against the Panthers on Friday, so there'll be all sorts of touches around that. If you're lucky enough to have a ticket to that game, and I know not everybody has, but if you are off to go Media Stadium next Friday, you'll see a number of special touches around the ground, skills challenges, exclusive giveaways, chance to meet Steven Adams who was actually going to be there, and you can support this campaign. You can make an automatic three dollar donation really easily. Just text Stephen it's st e v e n Stephen or up the Wars. I think you know how to spell that to nine three three to make an automatic three dollar donation. So Stephen st e v e in or up the Wars or one word to nine three three an automatic three dollar donation. What a what an initiative of this, Gary, says Jason. Last week Stephen had a coaching date at Walton Nash Stadium in Lola Hut. It was amazing. Everyone had a huge smile on their face when they left. There was a grocery parcel and a ball to take home or a fantastic opportunity. Honestly, Steven Adams, you know, I'm not sure if you've had the opportunity to read his autobiography. It's a really good read. But just the way he continues to be a force for good using his platform that he has worked so hard to create for the benefit of others, and to give in particular young Kiwi's the chance to get involved in sport. I've been at a couple of those days where Steven Adams has you know, has kids along, you know, to be part of his camps, and the utter joy that he brings. I mean, he is just in the you know, in the most positive form of this sentence, he is just a big, big kid himself. He clearly loves it, loves being out there with the kids, and they clearly love it as well. So yeah, up the wars or Stephen to nine three three, you'll make it automatic three dollar donation. Great to get the chance to chat to Steven Adams on his new initiative one nineteen Herod News Talks head be got another studio guest after two. Actually Stephen Adams has gone now, but Shane Cameron, one of our greatest ever boxes is and after two he'll be taking the same seat. Actually that Stephen was just in to talk about his new book. Next up, though, we're going to talk some darts. The Auckland Darts Masters are back. They're a fortnight away at Spark Arena and among those traveling down from the PDC, Jian von Faine Rising Dutch darts player who made the final of the World Championship earlier this year at Alexandra Palace season to join us for a chat on his career and the Auckland Darts Masters when we come back here on Weekend Sport.
Speaker 19: From brilliant victories to battling selections, it's all fair game on Weekend Sports with Jason Vine and the aldi Q seven Dynamic Black Runout edition available whilst Dog's.
Speaker 2: Last News Talks v News Talks Heben Weekendsport one twenty two. A star studded international lineup featuring world champions, Major winners and some of the sports most exciting emerging talent will headline the twenty twenty six New Zealand Dance Masters, coming up at Spark Arena in Auckland on Friday August fourteen and Saturday August fifteen. Eight PDC professionals will take on the best players from New Zealand and Australia in front of another capacity Auckland crowd, and the international field features former world champion Girwin Price, crowd favorite Stephen Bunting, Australian number one, Damon Hetter, former Major winner, James Wade, Welsh star Johnny Clayton, Northern Ireland sensation, Josh Rock, former European champion Ross Smith and rising Dutch star gianfan Faye. It's all about Hen van Vey, something you'd have been dreaming out.
Speaker 14: Since he was a Gan Vanvey. He's in the Championship final, pepeats.
Speaker 17: Garry Anderson by six, six to three in what was an a solar world of the game.
Speaker 2: What a world championship he had. John von Venders with us on Weekend Sport. Thanks for joining us, John, very much. Looking forward to having you down here in New Zealand. Have you visited New Zealand before?
Speaker 14: No, It's going to be my first time, so I'm looking forward to it.
Speaker 2: We're looking forward to having you here as well. Well. You're still only in your early twenties, but you've already established yourself as one of darts bright young stars. When did you first realize that you could make a career out of darts?
Speaker 14: Oh, yeah, it was difficult. I think during COVID times.
Speaker 17: I played a lot of darts in yeah, my backroom, vial Wakam, I played a lot of online darts, and then I played a lot of like PDC talk card holders back down who played at fantastic level and I gave them really good games.
Speaker 14: So at that moment and I realized, well.
Speaker 17: If I get this into the PDC tournaments and maybe I can have a career out of this. And yet when I was so fast afterwards, but I think that was the first realization when I was like, oh, maybe.
Speaker 14: I can have a good career out of this.
Speaker 2: Every young Dutch player coming through inevitably. As compared to Michael van Gowin, is that flattering or is it a comparison that you you try to avoid.
Speaker 14: Well, no, it's not something I'm trying to avoid.
Speaker 17: Of course, it's flattering when you get compared to Michael Ango and them, but it's also a comparison which you are almost never going to win because he's won so many tournaments, three will titles or counters of majors. So it's even though I'm ahead of him on the world ranking right now, I don't see myself ahead of him ever because yeah, everything he has done for the game. But yeah, of course it's always nice to be compared to one of the best players in the sport.
Speaker 2: Your game has developed really quickly over the past couple of years. Where do you think the big improvements have come in your game.
Speaker 17: I think it's all about experience and also confidence. Yes, it's been going so well the last couple of years. The first year was always you know, different arenas you're playing new players, you're you're getting experience, and then afterwards, you once you have those experience, you know what you're going to expect on the stages and in front of the big crowds, and you know what the players are like. You're not playing them for the first time anymore. And then you start beating them and you know you can beat them. Then afterwards because of your confidence is growing and I think once that has clicked for me, it's really shut me up the rankings.
Speaker 2: The twenty twenty six World Championship, you went all the way to the final, wins over Luke Humphries and Gary Anderson among others on the way there. How do you reflect back on the World Championships at the start of this year.
Speaker 14: Yeah, fantastic, of course.
Speaker 17: You know, going into that tournament, I never won a game at Alexandra Pellens there so that was the main goal for the tournament. But then as soon as that was out of the way, I felt so much relief. I was actually enjoying myself up on that stage and I didn't feel any pressure whatsoever. So yeah, looking back at it now, of course, it was a fantastic tournament and I think, really really my breakthrough.
Speaker 2: It looks amazing on television and I know a lot of our listeners have visited Alexandra Pellas for the World Champs. What is that arena like to walk into and to play in?
Speaker 14: Yeah, it's an iconic venue. You know. It's because it's on top of the hill.
Speaker 17: So as soon as you drive up the hill, especially at night, when you see Alexandra Palace with all this lights lit up, I still get goosebumps every time I drive up that hill.
Speaker 14: And then as soon as you enter.
Speaker 17: It's especially on stage because it's not as big as people may think, so it's very loud in there. The crowd are very close to the stage. It's one big noise inside the arena. So every time I'm what that stage, I'm enjoying myself and it's Yeah, it's always a special feeling.
Speaker 2: Did your performances there, you know, enriching the final earlier this year? How much of a boost did that give you? John? How much confidence did you gain from thinking to yourself, right, I really belong among the best players in the world.
Speaker 14: Yeah, massively.
Speaker 17: Yeah, As I said, I've not won a game there before that tournament, so there was always hanging above my head like, Okay, he's a good player, but he still hasn't done well in the World Championship.
Speaker 14: And as soon as I make that final, those doubts were gone. Everyone. Well, yeah, of course it's the biggest tournament of them all.
Speaker 17: You put yourself on the map for the whole world, and that gave me so much more confidence going into twenty twenty six. You know, you being, as you said, the likes of Luke Humphreys, Gary Anderson on the biggest stage and the biggest tournament of them all, and if you can do it there, you can do it everywhere.
Speaker 14: So yeah, that tournament gave me so much more confidence.
Speaker 2: And you're now regularly playing against those sorts of pliers, the best players in the world. What do you learn from competing against players of that caliber so regularly?
Speaker 14: Yeah, you learn a lot, you know, especially with the Premier League.
Speaker 17: As you said when you played the week in, week out, you're gonna lose a lot more games so you're gonna learn a lot more about yourself and how you take those losses, because that's what happens when you play the best week in week out, and you can see they have done it for years. It's my first year playing them week in week out, so you can see what it's like and how they deal with it. Maybe you can ask for some tips here and there. But I think it's been mostly in learning curve about myself this year.
Speaker 2: Is there any plaier you particularly enjoy facing because you know they'll bring out the best in you.
Speaker 14: What's the difficut one?
Speaker 17: I always like to play Luke Humphreys, but for myself growing up, Gary Anderson was my idol, so I always like to play Gary, especially that World's semi final game. We were both playing really well and I was I think that's my most enjoyable match out of my whole career so far, because of yeah, playing my idol on the biggest stage, and so yeah, I always like to play Gary.
Speaker 2: Wonderful. The margins at the top level are incredibly fine. It's the biggest difference do you think between good players and great players? Is it the mental side of the game.
Speaker 14: Yeah, that's one of the major aspects of the game.
Speaker 17: As I said, because this year I've played so many games, You're going to lose many more games.
Speaker 14: So if you're mentally that strong, you know how to take losses.
Speaker 17: And if you keep only thinking about the good times that during the match, you could beat anyone. And I think that's especially at the at the top end of this sport. That's so crucial for your game, because if you're mentally not strong enough, you're you're going to crumble on the pressure. So yeah, I think the mental aspect of the game is something that's maybe even bigger than the people think.
Speaker 2: And what are some of the things you've really worked hard on?
Speaker 11: Me?
Speaker 2: Everyone talks about your scoring power and it's so impressive, but are there other things that you have specifically worked the hardest on over the last year or so?
Speaker 14: Yeah, I think my finishing part, because last year my finishing was really good.
Speaker 17: Yes, I'm scoring well, but I'm not like Luke Littler, for example, you can outscore everyone. I'm not in that like that region at the moment, but I know I can out finish anyone. And if I take all my finishes like I've done two weeks ago at the world matchpeed, I can even with a bit less scoring, I could still get to the semifinals, for example. So I think that's an aspect of my game I've really focused on, and I think that's working.
Speaker 2: Very well for me so far. Do you have a favorite double?
Speaker 14: Double sixteen? That's my favorite double?
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of people would say the same thing. Yes, it seems to be a favorite. We see you walk out, Jian. You know, that's the first time we see you when or any of the players, is when you walk out. What about before that? What is your pre walkout routine? Do you listen to music? Do you like to stay relaxed? What do you do before you walk into those those big arenas?
Speaker 14: Mostly I start trying to say relaxed.
Speaker 17: I pract for about two and a half hours before my game, especially with all the players, we'd like to joke around for a little bit. But as soon as that, yeah, you get close to the game, like thirty or twenty minutes before your game, I put my headphones in, get some music on. I listened to some good music to get me in the good vibe and then in a yeah, emotional headspace, and then I'm ready for the game, get focused in and then yeah, and then it's getting onto the stage of course, all.
Speaker 2: Right, and we're looking forward as a side of seeing you here in New Zealand. I guess the feature of these tournaments is that is that our local players, our best players, get a shot at the world's beast. How dangerous can those matches be for you?
Speaker 14: Very dangerous? Yeah, you've seen it in the past. There's a lot of good players from the likes of New.
Speaker 17: Zealand, barsso Australia, So it's I'm very excited to going out there spend some time in the lovely country in New Zealand. But yeah, of course the players are are fantastic there as well, and I think it's a good opportunity for them to show the work what they're capable of.
Speaker 14: But yeah, of course the PDCA are going to be the favorite.
Speaker 17: But if we're not playing at our full hundred percent, then we can be in for some real danger because they are capable of vetting us.
Speaker 2: We're really looking forward to having you down here in New Zealand. John, all the best as you travel down. We look forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks. Thanks for taking the time for a chat today, No problem, thank you very much, No, thank you for joining us. John John fun Fayne there a Dutch rising star and as I say, rising's probably not the right word. He made the World Championship final against Luke Littler earlier this year at the World Championships at Alexandra Palace. He's one of eight PDC professionals so going to be here. Gwin Price, Stephen Bunting, Damon Hetter, James Wade, Johnny Clayton, Josh Rock, Ross Smith and John vun Fayne are going to be there at the New Zealand Darts Masters Spark Arena in Auckland on Friday August fourteen and Saturday August fifteen. Or is a great event and the best key we players are going to get the chance to lock horns with those PDC professionals and perhaps see if they can cause an upset on the stage at Spark Arena twenty eight away from two. Just back to the Commonwealth Games for a sec another big night of action coming. Just having a look at what we can look forward to tonight and overnight into tomorrow morning. Talking to Sarah Cally Ross's last hour about the Gold and bronze for Eliza McCartney and Imagenneris and the women's pole vault. She'd identified a couple of metal possibilities in the track and field tonight and overnight ten past nine. This is all New Zealand times. It's easier to do it this way. Ten past nine Tonight Ethan Olivier in the men's triple jump that is a straight final, so he'll be jumping for a medal tonight from just after ten past nine. Then tomorrow morning five past six, James Stayin and Nick Southgate take part in the men's pole vault, relatively unknown compared to the likes of Eliza McCartney, Imageneris, Olivia mctaggett, but James Stain, Nick Southgate and the men's pole vault five past six, six point thirty five. I think Tory Moreby is a real medal chance, and the women's javelin kind of been tracking her progress in recent times, and I just wonder whether Tory Moreby might be a bit of a smoky for a medal in the women's javelin. And then Sam Tanner, our man Sam Tanner in the iconic men's mile that goes tomorrow morning at five to eight, So seven fifty five tomorrow morning, Sam Tanner in the Men's Mile, the famous iconic black singlet well. At the top of the show, we pointed out that it's fifty years to the day since John Walker won his Olympic gold in Montreal in nineteen seventy six, fifty years ago. Incredible that flowing blonde hair of John Walker's down the home straight with Keith Quinn's commentary bringing him home. Sam Tanner Tomorrow morning. Different kind of stature. Sam Tanner doesn't have the flowing blonde locks. There's the iconic mustache though, so let's so Sam can be there or thereabouts and the Men's Mile are the kiwis in action in the Silver Ferns played the semi finals a night against England. They've been good, haven't they? The Silver Ferns, putting all the off field controversy to one side and concentrating on the netball in the semis against England, Australia, Jamaica and the other semi the medal matches tomorrow night on the Bowling Green. The men's pair, the Power Men's Pair and the Power of women's pair all in action. Judo a number of our judokas are on the matt tonight, Joel Robinson, Elliott Connolly, Kuana Christi, Moira de Villiers and Noah Wallace and their various weight classes they have preliminary bouts and then hopefully into the metal fights as well. And on the track cycling, well, we've got high hopes again for some of these cyclists. Sam Dakin and the men's sprint, George Jackson, Keegan Hornblow and Marshall Rwood and the men's ten k scratch race, Ali Wallaston, Emily Sherman and Bryani Bortter and the women's twenty five k points race, Emmy Emma Foy with Jesse Hodges as her pilot in the women's tandem B one thousand meter time trial, and Alise Andrews well, you'd have to think she's a very good chance of a gold medal. Olivia King as well in the women's one thousand meter time trial. Those are the kiwis in action tonight and heading into tomorrow morning at the Glasgow Commonwealth Games. Will certainly keep eyes on that for you right through the night and if you don't get the chance to watch any of it, then we'll update you as part of our News Talk Zibbie Sports bulletins tomorrow morning twenty four to two. Wonder how the Commonwealth Games are being received in Australia. They just seem to get so many medals, don't they, particularly in the pool. There is it getting the cut through over there of the likes of a World Championship ar and Olympic Games. Probably not, but you'd have to think there'd be a degree of celebration on the other side of the ditch. Arroustrating correspondent Adam Peacock going to join us in just a moment, maybe give us some insight into that and other Australian sporting matters when we come back.
Speaker 18: I call this hell.
Speaker 1: You see us on eight hundred and eighty ten eighty Weekend Sports with Jason Vahim and the Audi Q seven Dynamic Black runout edition of Vailla will at your local Audi dealership.
Speaker 5: News Talks EDB.
Speaker 2: One forty here on News talks 'b but a live sport for you this afternoon. We'll keep eyes on it for you. The NPC is underway for twenty twenty six. A Sea Tasman just getting home against North Harbor last night down in Nelson thirty one twenty nine. I thought North Harbor might cause an upset down there. Not to be Counties Manaco against Taranaki from five past two this afternoon, Southland, Otago, Stag Day, Stag Dane and the Cargill. Anybody's heading along to that, just drop us a note and let us know what the weather's like and how big it's going to be. Canterbury Auckland Man talk about rivalries under the roof in christ Dues tonight. That game is at ten past seven tomorrow, Northland, munawar Tu and Faraday from what time's that game? Five past two? And then Wellington against Hawks Bay but of a Hurricanes derby there at five past five tomorrow afternoon. Let's get you across the Tasman though to Australian correspondent Adam Peacock has with us as usual on a Saturday, just saying before the breakout about the Commonwealth Games, I looked at the medal table. You're miles ahead of everybody else on the medal table one hundred and twenty eight medals all up, including fifty five gold medals. The next best, by the way is seventeen gold medals. So you've got three times as many golds as anybody else. So are the Commonwealth Games getting any sort of cut through, any sort of exposure over there in Australia.
Speaker 18: Yeah, not as much as it used to. We're noticing it, but it's certainly not at Olympic levels. It's on and like, it's on Channel seven over here, so they've obviously gone real heavy on it, and other news outlets are covering it. But if your busy live like for instance, I've had a pretty busy week doing some other stuff and I haven't been fully across it, So you can easily not be across it if you don't know what I mean. It's not like everyone's talking about it, like I felt like everyone was talking about the World Cup when the Olympics is on. Everyone's talking about the Olympics. Is not quite at that level, but nonetheless it's not detracting from firstly the performances and the importance of this for our younger athletes of getting a crack on the international stage for the first time.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think that resonates over here too. Everybody talked about the World Cup when the Olympics are on. You're right, the Commonwealth Games are almost sort of happening off to one side necessarily, and to be fair, the time's under a bit tricky as well, with a lot of stuff happening in the middle of the night. But yeah, that sort of feels like it is over here. Just on your swimmers, though. Goodness may if I hear that bloody Australian national anthem one more time at the pool. Thank god, the swimming's over. Why, I mean, why are you so good in the pool?
Speaker 7: Yeah? I think.
Speaker 18: It's ebbed and flowed, and I think we've just got this younger crop supporting what was a very good generation of swimmers. There's financial support, It's not huge, but there is support for our youngest swimmers coming through. I mean, the reason why the American system works so well is because they've got college as their development system. We just have this halfway where young athletes are happy to balance UNI and getting in pool. However many times they do it. It's yeah, it's one of those things. It's like ingraining our culture that we can swim because we're surrounded by ocean and yeah, we're just and there's a lot of pools as well. Because it's so warm, we can jump in half a year so yeah, all those factors just mean that we've got this depth of talent coming through and then when they get the coaching structures right, which they obviously have, these things happen.
Speaker 2: Let's go to the NRL, where the Roosters are on a bit of a charge since they lost to the Dolphins quite heavily back on the twelfth of June. I think it's six straight winds, including putting eighty two on the Cowboys the other night. Are the Roosters sort of now almost RL kind of joint favorites I guess with the Panthers.
Speaker 18: Yeah, yeah, Penrith have been the front runners all year. Look, I asked the question last week, Okay, this week, and I think we find out who the second best team in the comp is, or who's ranked behind Penrith. I don't think we need to even have the weekend to get the answer. Give them what I have it on Thursday night that was extraordinary. And the Cowboys, you know they're not going to finish last. They're going to finish nowhere near last. They could finish in the eighth still, and that was a mortal destruction of them. It just clicked for the Roosters. It showed everything what they've got. They've got this attacking flare which is hard to stop. So yeah, they end up playing Penrith in the Grand Final. That's going to be a really good look because you've got two contrasting styles and that was just out of this world what they did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, are dismantling, absolute dismantling of the Cowboys. The Warries, of course, have a but to say about this. They've got the Titans this afternoon. Warriors lost to the Bulldogs last week. Titans have got two wins from their last two. Men. Actually, reckon the key weis will be okay on the Gold Coast.
Speaker 18: Not entirely convinced. Gold Coast have got better in the last month or so. They're playing their best of the season. But realistically, if they're going to be a top four side, which we all think they are, the Warriors, well they've got to take care of this one. So tricky one, tricky one.
Speaker 2: Look forward to seeing what Everson the Panthers of course, across to go media next Friday night. That'll be a cracker. Just before I let you go football. The fallout from Gianni Infantino's plan to sell off part of the world Cup to private investment has been pretty swift from all around the world. What gage you're getting from from Football Australia and the wider football and community over there.
Speaker 18: Yeah, it's It's one of those ones where I think one man's power and ego has just gone beyond the Norse and got carried away and he's been smashed for it. And it probably took you ay For to come out and slipe him over the head about it and say no, that this is not happening, and then the rest to follow. Like Infantino, I think has read the room and gone, well, I've got immense power here because I don't even need you Ah for this. I just need to get the majority through of votes of the two hundred and eleven to pass this, which is questionable in itself. But the AFC have come out and hit hit him back, even the region where the World Cup was just held, hit him, hit back at him, and he's just totally misread it. And yet you know, within twenty four hours you've got that.
Speaker 5: I do know.
Speaker 18: We didn't mean that like little tweets to what we were saying. It's like, yeah, come on, man, everyone seeing straight through it, and this is what you get when you get this immense amount of power and then self self belief in a leader that you go and do things like this. And this will be a documentary for sure, how he's how he's power and level of status has grown to the point where he just forgets about reality. It's just extraordinary.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 2: But reality is now that there must be pressure building on him. How is this documentary going to end? Is it going to end with the door hitting in on the backside on the way out?
Speaker 18: Yeah, I think it does. I don't know exactly how at the moment because no one stands against him, but yeah, I think an alternative is put up now that the hard thing is like, for instance, you're in Oceania OFC New Zealand, they can't and Australia was a bit the same. We can't just come out and just go no, no, no, we're not doing that because we've got an obligation in Australia, the stakeholders here in Australia about what does forty minion look like. It's supposed to twenty million. We're part of the AFC, the OFC, for instance, their Champions League is funded by FIFA Panawatu's vote counts as much as France's though with FIFA like wonder one. So that's where Infancy now is going with this. He knew that he would have had massive support with some of the lesser nations financially speaking, and unfortunately he's kind of misread the wind direction and as said, God hammered for him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, indeed, or I made always good chatting Australian sport with her, Thanks for taking the time. Is always has the new cricket pod going. I've watched it but during the week it looks like you're having fun with it.
Speaker 18: Yeah, yeah, good, one week down. So we'll do a couple of episodes a week and it's enjoyable. Actually, not that there's a lot to talk about in Australian cricket at the moment. Not much is happening, but plenty of happening with Kiwi's being Englishmen. Another one. You've given them another one?
Speaker 2: Well, I know, yeah, they love their Kiwi's over and over in England. Yah, Stephen Fleming the new teast coach for England. That'll be an interesting one to keep tabs on. Good on yet, I'm always good to chet mate. We'll do it again next Saturday.
Speaker 7: Thanks body, Thanks mate.
Speaker 2: That is out of Peacock Air Australian correspondent. He's with us around the time every Saturday. A couple of texts to get through. Don't forget the Sharks. Yeah, the Sharks. The Sharks, they're where are they at the moment?
Speaker 11: Fourth?
Speaker 2: Did I say? They got up to fourth on the ladder? Is still to play this weekend? I think they've won their last four games. The Sharks here, we shouldn't count them out. It's getting quite tight at the top, isn't it look at the NROL ladder. We'll talk about this more after two. Going to preview the Warriors against the Titans with Matt Russell, who's calling the game. Panthers thirty four points from eighteen games, Roosters thirty four from nineteen games, including their absolute demolition job the other night of the Cowboys eighty to twelve. I still couldn't believe that score when I wake up on Friday morning and saw at eighty two twelve. Warriors thirty points from eighteen games, Sharks thirty points from eighteen games, Dolphins thirty points from nineteen games. So five teams really in with a shout of the top two, then you drop down to the rabbit O's twenty six Nights, twenty six are the Night, seventh are the Nights are going to make the finals? Eddy, unbelievable stuff from your boys. The Bulldogs are on twenty six. The Cowboys, despite that hammering, are on twenty six. Then see Eagles and then you drop out. Did I see? Craig Bellamy said that he is now accepting that the Storm won't make the six, won't make the eighth. Yeah, bit of a fall from grace for the Storm who were always so good. So yeah, the Sharks, I think we have to watch them circling around Marsus Piney. What about a chocolate fish on the Magpies to beat the Wellington line somewhere I must I'll take that bed. I'll take that bed. I'll take the bed of the Wellington lines to beat Hawk's Bay. Although I do note I was looking at the lineups for this game a bit of a Hurricane's darby as I say, I do note that Harry Godfrey is back, which is great news because he missed all of the season, just gone the Super season with another injury. Seems to have had terrible luck with injuries. Harry Godfrey, but he's in the tea jersey tomorrow of Hawk's Bay for our Fuckatava is halfback, So the nine ten combo Fuckatava Godfrey. That looks pretty good and you know a sprinkling and other Super Rugby players through the Hawks bay side. But as there is in the in the Wellington Lives lineup, du plus Kalifi is there of course co captain Caleb Delaney and other Hurricane in the second row Callum Callum Harkin running the cutter, played a lot of fullback for the Hurricanes during Super Rugby. He's the first five. I'll take the bet mask if you want to. If you want to put a chocolate fish on it, I'll put a chocolate fish on it. Oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty is our number nine two ninety two if you would like to send a text back in a second On News Talks EDB.
Speaker 1: The biggest names and sport are here. Weekend Sport with Jason Vine News Talks, EDB.
Speaker 2: News Talks six two two Mix is on text. Canterbury Auckland Inn PC Tonight eighteen and a half thousand tickets sold, twenty thousand here we come outstanding. This is of course at one YUS zeal And Stadium at Takaha in christ which I think the same sort of thing happens when a new venue opens anywhere, is that people want to get along regardless of what's on there, not saying that this isn't a good game. I mean Canterbury Auckland. It's one of the most famous rivalries in all of New Zealand provincial rugby. I think back on some of the titanic battles that these two teams have had down the years, and you gravitate towards that very very famous shield challenge with Auckland winning the shield off Canterbury moves at nineteen eighty five. From memory, I remember I saw some footage of that during the week. I'm not sure what the context was, but the crowd just, you know, right up on the basically touching the white lines at Lancaster Park that day and Auckland up were they about twenty twenty four nil up? And then Canterbury came charging back, Auckland on the shield, John Kerwin batting it behind that final kick I think Wayne Smith would have put up and JK goes back and bats it behind you get a penalty again she if we did that these days not then so Canterbury Auckland to night that's great. If they get twenty thousand under the roof outstanding, Canterbury be firm favorites. I would imagine to win that game. Look forward to seeing how it all plays out. There's this the Warriors year. I've heard a lot of people ask, well, at the very least you could see out the remainder of the season in a brand new one New Zealand Warriors Jersey. We've got one to give away and we're doing it through our brand new Instagram page. So if you search for news Talk ZEDB Sport on Instagram, follow the page and then like and comment on the pinned post there which has got the one New Zealand Warriors Jersey on it. You're in to win news Talk ZEDB Sport on Instagram. Just get there. You'll get the latest sport content direct to your feed and have the opportunity to win that one New Zealand Warriors Jersey. Speaking of which, as I mentioned before, Matt Russell's calling the game, well here his call of the game a bit later on today from five o'clock but he's going to join us next out of preview it straight after the two o'clock news though, we're joined in studio by one of our great heavyweight boxes, Shane Cameron. His is a story of off small beginnings, really raised in rural Tenured Otto, just an hour in land from Gisbon, but went on to become one of our great fighters. His book is out, it's called Mountain Warrior available I think available soon actually certainly in the next little while. But Shane Cameron going to join us in studio for a yan about that and his career after two.
Speaker 1: The only place for the big names, the big issues, the big controversies and the big conversations. It's all on Weekend Sports with Jason Vine and the udi Q seven Dynamic Black Runout edition on Youth Talks MB, your home of sport.
Speaker 2: Hi there, welcome into the show. Welcome back to the show. This is Weekend Sport on News TALKSB until three then Tim Beverage takes over with the Weekend Collective fathers Our Will preview Warriors. Titans also mark one hundred days until the one hundred Years of Unity through Sport Festival begins, celebrating the connections between New Zealand and India, both on the sporting field and elsewhere. Shane Cameron standing by the chat to us about his new book as well. You can join us anytime you're like eight hundred and eighty ten eighty nineteen ninety two on text seven past two. As we always do, though, to kick off the two o'clock hour, we like to bring you up to date with some of the things that might have escaped your attention in case you missed. It is what we call it, and we start in the NRL where the Dolphins have scrapped hard to eventually beat the Dragons.
Speaker 9: Tend to play both teams a little bit out in their feet at the moment Marshall kick on the Flagler Flegler soft.
Speaker 2: That book straight through the middle.
Speaker 3: That's too easy.
Speaker 2: Twenty eight twenty two. The Dolphins continue to solidify their spot in the eighth and the Bulldogs have also crept into the playoff positions.
Speaker 3: Oh it opens up here, finishing star Stephen crowding the number six? What's there?
Speaker 2: And Hender Breathe come on with the job in this second half thirty six twenty two, Continuing Melbourne's Missouri in the NPC fins up the Tasman Muckle started this season with a hard fought winn at Trafelga Park I.
Speaker 14: Under stand that, can you hear it?
Speaker 3: And it's all of it Missy that made him out of it back here nor parlot give him takes.
Speaker 7: Tiant top on bout here he could.
Speaker 2: Shack alive of the mistakes of part on attack. But Tira, Tom, tell me if I'm hoover thirty one twenty nine the final score over North Harbor and it wasn't just Eliza McCartney. Key we gold for Devin Briggs in the Velndrome overnight winner of the Power See one to See three one thousand meter track time trial.
Speaker 9: One more lup to go and he's gone out over a second now surely he can hold on from me, Yeah, it's going to be a big fights, super quick start. There may be a deceleration. No, it's one point five now, so win the final bend. Coming up to the finish line, it's Devin Briggs that's going to take the gold battle out to one point eight in the end.
Speaker 2: Sensational riot from him. Briggs with the one oh five point five to take golf.
Speaker 1: Per one matters in Sports Weekend Sports with Jason Vain and the Audi Q seven Dynamic Black Runout Edition available at your local Audi dealership.
Speaker 14: News Talks End.
Speaker 2: Be nine past two. Shane Cameron's story is one of the great New Zealand sporting journeys. Raised in rural Tinto and our Inland from Gisbon, he didn't even take up boxing until his late teens, but went on to become one of the country's most successful heavyweight fighters. We are ready for round.
Speaker 12: Number four, but at W be your Asia Pacific, W be your Oriental Tato that champion multi Barry Shan't Cameron is.
Speaker 5: Champion?
Speaker 12: Shap Cavin locked camera, He's the news. Here's a Pacific.
Speaker 14: Champion.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Shane Cameron won multiple New Zealand and regional titles, represented New Zealand at the Commonwealth Games, shared the ring with some of the biggest names in world boxing, and headlines the biggest fight in New Zealand boxing history against David Tour in two thousand and nine. But the story's about much more than what happened inside the ropes. It's one of resilience, setbacks, redemption and finding purpose beyond sport. Shane has now put it all into a new autobiography, Mountain Warrior, which is released this month. It's an honest inflection on his life, his career, and all the lessons he's learned along the way. Shane Cameron joins us in studio. Great to see him. I congratulations on the book. Are you happy with the way it's come out?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 16: Thank you very much mate. After that introduction, I can't wait to hear myself speak hey, oh my gosh, yeah, no, mate, yeah, I am happy with the book. You're definitely happy with the book. And then yeah, yeah, just passing, you know. And how am I going to say?
Speaker 11: Really?
Speaker 16: When I when I read the synopsis of the book that I didn't really wasn't that not that keen on doing? Because I didn't think I was worthy enough of a book. And then I read that, I'm like, oh, that's you know, so I needed an angle in my head. So as to why I would write a book would be to help people that would like me, thinking dumbat school, dyslexic, where they really struggled. But you know, if you set your mind on something and willing to work hard, you can achieve anything.
Speaker 2: Your roots are in rural New Zealand and that features strongly, particularly in the early part of the story, but right throughout the story as well. How much did your upbringing shape the fighter and and the man that you've become.
Speaker 6: Yeah, big part of that, mate, I'll tell you what. The upbringing, it's.
Speaker 16: Definitely not for the fainthearted, you know, riding the horse to school and just the stuff that we did as young kids, Me and my brothers. You know, we're all tough buggers to mate, all the same. Dad was tough man, so, you know, fruit down and for far from the tree.
Speaker 11: A you know.
Speaker 6: So, but no, I love that wouldn't change anything for the world.
Speaker 18: You know.
Speaker 16: It was a great upbringing. We left, were left our own devices. Mum, she was amazing.
Speaker 6: Just yeah, we just we just left our own devices and we just found our way, you know.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know it was it was.
Speaker 6: It was great, mate, the upbringing. And you know, there's a lot in the book. You're you're you'll see and go out that kind of happened. Did that happen for real? You know, yeah, that happened for real.
Speaker 2: I thought that a few times. I say, I thought that, surely, surely there's a bit of there's a bit of GST on that, But no, the more I read, the more I thought, you know what, he's telling the truth and nothing but the truth. The thing that I found really interesting is that boxing didn't come into your life until like you're late teens. She went to the UK. You met the Bogra's family at a at a pub. They invited you back for Sunday lunch or something like that or dinner. You end up being friends with them. You're watching TV at their place and there's boxing on the TV and you go, hey, I would mind even to go at that? Is that really what happened?
Speaker 6: That's what happened, mate? Oh my god.
Speaker 16: You bring up the Boger's family and what a legend. Yeah, the legend family. And that's how that's how it panned out.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 6: I went there.
Speaker 16: I was nineteen years of age watching some boxing on TV on a Sunday morning, hungover, and I'm like, oh am, I giving that sport to go. You know, I think I'll be good at that, you know. And for me, I've got a strong mind. When I set my mind on something, I will do whatever it takes to try and achieve it. Yeah, And that's sort of how it started, mate, That's how it started. I didn't have any boxing experience apart from maybe having too many beers and thinking I was a tough guy and maybe yeah in the pub, but other.
Speaker 6: Than that, yeah, I don't recommend doing that.
Speaker 2: But anyway, but then and then so then Peter Bogers, who was the Sun yeah and became one of your best mates, sits up this boxing ring and you're in the front garden and you're sparring. And then and then he's inviting guys and to fight you. This is almost like fiction, but it's true.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 16: So I was in there with Peter sparring and he was actually a better than me, and he kept hitting me on the nose and I wasn't used to getting head on the nose and my note my eyes were watering, you know. And at the same time, a forestry truck went by with some of the boys they worked at the end of the road and they will forestry boys. And he stops the truck and he goes, oh, who's your toughest guy, And they go, oh, that's old Jimmy. He's down in the down at the yard. They go here, tell him to come back. Shane wants to fight, and I'm looking at them, going, no, I don't want to fight anyone.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 16: So then they go get him and they come bring him back up, and then I bloody, Yeah, I knocked two of us front teeth out in the front lawn.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, sorry?
Speaker 2: When did it shame? When did it?
Speaker 9: You know?
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know. I've never boxed, but it feels like it must be quite addictive. When did it start to become something that you thought, you know what, I want to see how far I can take this?
Speaker 16: Yeah, And that was what my mentality was, and so I want to see how far I can take this. And it probably wasn't really until I turned professional and when I was in Las Vegas, even though I thought David to at some point, you know, but like earlier on, we were living in the same house and I was sparring with I did rounds with David. But then I did some rounds with some other world class heavyweights and I was matching it with him, and I was doing well. I'm going, oh, man, I reckon, I could probably do something here, you know. But up until that point, I just wanted to see how far I could go. You know there was after winning the Commonwealth Games medal, and yeah, so it might have been earlier than that, but anyway, but my mentality as that anyway, Man, I just got to I want to be the best at everything that I do, and as Debata will on the best at everything I do. But that is my mentality. You know, same with business, same same, same same.
Speaker 2: You're spart with Mike Tyson. That in itself, that sentence is a great sentence.
Speaker 11: What was he like?
Speaker 2: And did anything surprise you about him as a boxer and as a and as a.
Speaker 6: Person as a fighter.
Speaker 16: Yeah, how explosive he was, and how fast and how accurate he was. Yeah he punched hard, but you know David Ta punches harder. But but yeah, just his ferociousness and and yeah, and that was sort of probably coming towards the end of his career. And even Jeff Fennick, his his coach at the time, he said, he's as good as any other heavyweight over over three rounds. You know, you get him past three four rounds, you big chance you you eat them. And that's sort of what happened in his last fight against Kevin McBride. You know, he started fast, first two minute rounds. I could just see him. He started in a fade and then he just yeah, he just bailed out. But great, great experience.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 16: Like you know, I don't think I would have had the success of my boxing career if I hadn't done that experience of sparring Mike Tyson for two weeks, you know, because you have an experience like that. And my mentality was when I left that that training camp and I come home and I'm thinking, I survived two weeks sparring with the baddest man on the planet. I go, well, no one really is going to intimidate me after that, and no one's really going to skim me after that.
Speaker 6: So then I'm you know, I'm I'm but you still got to work hard, you still got to do all the things.
Speaker 16: You still got, all the training, you got, all that stuff, and that all amounts to just a strong, confident fighter. And that's basically what I become, you know, just strong confident fighter. And I'm saying I won every fight, but I wanted most of them, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the David to a Fight two thousand and nine. Obviously a big part of the story was writing about that. More difficult than you thought it might be or not.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's it was.
Speaker 16: It was probably the right time. It was probably the right time, you know, and that was probably a reason why maybe you know, the right timing for the book maybe, but it was you know, there's another reason about that anyway, which I might have mentioned. But yeah, I can talk about it now, you know, I couldn't talk about it for ten teen, twelve years because of just man and I think it just I was just thinking the other day it was just the magnitude of it, how huge the fight was, how big the promotion was, and how I talked it up, and how confident I come across and you know, and that was genuine. I was confident I was going to win the fight. And then it finished like that, It finished like that, like I didn't even get through, you know, I only just got through the first round. Was man, I'm thinking, is that all you did?
Speaker 6: Shane?
Speaker 8: Is that all?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 6: I'm just going I'm better than that, you know, I'm better than that. But just there was just a man, it was it was.
Speaker 16: It was a big learning curve moment, just but just one of the and I've done it the fighters, you know, I did it to Montebert, the guy who beat David Tour.
Speaker 6: You know, I put them the sleep in.
Speaker 16: Four rounds, and I'm like, I actually felt sorry for him. I'm sitting in the changing room and I could visualize his changing room. You know, I had feelings for him. I think, ah, you know, and that's what happened to day too, when he hasn't.
Speaker 6: Done it to me.
Speaker 16: You know, I was mortified. I was depressed, I was sad. I was all of those things for a long time. But you know, I just my favorite saying, it's not how you for, it's how you rise. You know, you just got to dust yourself up. You know, I always say, and I say that quite a lot. You've got two options. You've always got two options. One to keep going, the other one to give up. You know, and giving up is never an option for me, in business, or in life or in sport, as much as you want to give up. And sometimes it's easy, because it's easy to give up. Anyone can give up, but not anyone can keep going and keep fighting, keep pushing forward. And that could be you don't have to be a boxer, you know, it could be in school, you know, in tough times. But that's how you grow as a person with the tough times. If you're not pushing yourself out of the comfort outside your comfort zone, you're not being challenged. If not being challenging, then you're not growing. And if you're not growing, oh I don't know where you're going.
Speaker 2: Amazing, amazing. I mean, the book's so honest, man, brutally honest. Was there anything that you're wrestled with before deciding that you would include it? Yeah?
Speaker 6: Not really, you know, Well, I don't know. I probably need to read the book again. I'm short, I got a short I got a short term memory.
Speaker 16: Man, I don't really know some of the stuff that I said this in the book, but it's all genuine and you know, and I'm not a good reader. And Steve Kilgallen did a great job of being a ghostwriter for the book, and he he pestered me for like a month, you know, because it took two years.
Speaker 6: To write the book. And I can't blame it all on everyone else.
Speaker 16: I can blame it on myself for probably the first probably six weeks, because he sent me the whole draft and he goes read it chain and.
Speaker 6: I'm going, oh, that's the worst thing. I can ever do read. I'm like, oh my god.
Speaker 16: Then I started reading. I'm going, oh, I just I'm getting a headache just looking at it.
Speaker 2: And then I didn't do it.
Speaker 6: He goes, how's the book? And I am started, Man, I'm struggling to read it. And then then made Wayne. He goes, no, I'll do it in an audio. Hey can you do that?
Speaker 16: And he's like a like a tech legend. He goes yeah, and he did it in an audio and then it just read it back to him.
Speaker 6: I'm going, oh, this is magic.
Speaker 16: Yeah, And within within two days I read go to Steve cole gall and I've read it. He goes, no, you didn't go yeah, I did the audio read it back to me. Yeah, so that's how Yeah, so good man, so good.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You've said the phrase before, and you use it a lot in the book. It's not how you fall, it's how you rise. And resilience is clearly something that that is, you know, a defining quality in your life. I mean, you've built successful businesses since retiring. How challenging has that been? I mean, can you compare preparing for a big fight with you know, with with the battles and the challenges you have in business since you're retired.
Speaker 16: Yeah, yeah, there are, there are challenges, but nothing like a challenge and going into a fight and going into battle where, man, this is a fight game. You know, this is a fight game where you can get seriously hurting, you knock the f out, you know, it can be not a good night for you and get humbled and then all of a sudden you're going to face the media, face, the public, face of friends and family.
Speaker 6: You know, all of that stuff.
Speaker 16: So so doing stuff outside my comfort zone outside of boxing, it's not too much of an issue, you know, Like doing Dancing with the Stars. That was probably the second challenging thing that I did that was so tough. I don't know how to dance before, and I still don't know how to dance Africa because it's all choreographed, you know. Bless our narrative courties.
Speaker 6: She did a great job with me.
Speaker 2: The last chapter of the book, it's called Paying the Price, talks about the effects of your chosen sport on your future well being, specifically your suspicion that you may have CTE, which can't be diagnosed until after you die. Yeah, do you worry about what the rest of your life will be like.
Speaker 16: Yeah, I do sometimes, Yeah, I do. I do at times because I do struggle with my memory with short term stuff. I know my memory probably wasn't better that good when I was younger, but it's hard to compare. I have a lot going on, but I'm not trying to downgrade it, but like, yeah, but I do feel sometimes like a man, I just struggle to remember that or or because I'm OCD, so that that helps because I put I don't lose stuff, you know, not like other people that I know that don't have any having any punched in the head ortoever, or they're pretty smart, but they still lose a lot of things. So I'm quite happy about that that I'm I'm OCD and everything has to go into the right place and then everything wherever.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so anyway, you know what I mean. But yeah, so hopefully nothing comes of it any any bad.
Speaker 16: But I know, you know, being punched in the head, you know by some you know, for seventeen years, it's got to take us told at some point maybe hopefully not, but yeah, well just worry about that when when that comes to it.
Speaker 6: I did see a professional about it.
Speaker 16: I've seen a few professionals, but I did want to see a professional last year and I wanted just to see, you know, and she just didn't worry me about anything. She just goes, just live healthy lifestyle, do lots of training, and just do she goes. You can't focus on what if some this could happen and that could happen.
Speaker 2: So that's what I do.
Speaker 16: I just do that stuff and that's my lifestyle. I love my fitness, my health and well being and and and the outdoors, and that's that's what I do. And just and what will be what will be.
Speaker 6: And then that's it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a great attitude, mate. Just to finish. When people finish reading this book Mountain Warrior, what do you hope that they remember most? Do they do? You do you hope that they remember Shane Cameron the boxer or the man behind the box and gloves.
Speaker 6: I just want to people to read the book and then just go.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 16: You know, you can achieve whatever you want to achieve if you just sit in your mind to it.
Speaker 18: You know.
Speaker 16: That's that's it, you know, because that's how I got my success, by surrounding myself with good people and just working hard, you know, because I didn't have an education, but I just worked hard and just found my way. And there's always a way, and you find your way and you just be surprised what you can achieve. You can be unstoppable if you see your mind to it.
Speaker 2: It's a great book, Shane. I absolutely loved reading it. Found out a lot about you, learned a lot and some great messaging for boxing fans and for human beings. Shane Cameron Mountain Warrior with Steve Kilgallen. It's available very very soon. Thanks for stopping and mate, great to get the chance to chet.
Speaker 6: To you appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Thank you, no, thank you. Shane Cameron there joining us in the ZB studio. Check it out. Mountain Warrior on salette at all the normal places soon to twenty five take Away, come Back and then preview Warriors Titans five o'clock this afternoon.
Speaker 1: From Grassroots to the grand Stand. Weekends Force with Jason Vine and the aldi Q seven Dynamic Black runout edition from one eight hundred eighty News Talks.
Speaker 2: V to twenty eight. The Warrior's Face a big test This afternoon. They head to the Gold Coast to take on a Titan's side that suddenly found a bit of confidence back to back wins for the Titans. The Warriors, on the other hand, looking to bounce back after a disappointing outing last week. That the have done it again the Blue and White of Jennifury.
Speaker 9: I'm making a finals run full time at a Corps Jannebury eighteen the Warriors six.
Speaker 2: Five o'clock kickoff this afternoon. That's New Zealand time. One of the best callers in the business, Matt Russell, is on the mic for this one. He joins us. Now I'm looking at the table, I'm looking at the season, Matt, and how important this game is in terms of the context of the Warriors season in their charge to the top two and top four. Does it have a bit of a must win feel about it?
Speaker 11: The ladder will tell you it's not must win, won't it. But I sort of feel like they need a big left at the moment the Warriors. We know that last year and in other seasons when it's come to this pointy end of the campaign, they just haven't lacked that punch that's required to really bed down a top two or top four finish. Well. This year, that chance is there again and they're going to be walking into quite the atmosphere today. General admission tickets are sold out. There's a big tea week intingents out East Queensland. Many of them will be at Seabar Superstadium, So I sort of feel that even though the Warriors are on the road today, they might even have the majority of support inside the venue. So if fat to be a genuine top four, top two team, I think, given what's gone on this season, they must be beating the Gold Coast today. So short answer you the question, it's huge for Andrew Webster's team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for you keep us on the Gold Coast. So yeah, look looking forward to seeing a few Warriors jerseys in the crowd this afternoon. Last week's lost to the Bulldogs bit of a reality check. What will Andrew Webster have demanded most from his side during the week and the lead up to this one?
Speaker 11: I think to stay calm and to ignore voices like mine saying come on, Warrior show, it's the best put it forward now. But what he will absolutely want to bet down is a defensive application that served them well to start the season, because let me tell you, Gold Coast are dangerous right now. That one two in a row and this spine playing under Josh Hannah, the first year NRL coach, has been fantastic in recent weeks. Count O Kinney at the back has been dynamic, Rookie Olie Pasco has been a fine there and dummy half and we know the halves young Zane Harris and jumping out of the ground and Jaden Campbell he's fully resistible. So there's a one six seventy nine that is creating and doing damage and certainly is good enough to upset the Warriors. So I'm sure it all starts defensively for the Warriors. Let's roll your sleeves up and see if you can find the same defensive application we've seen.
Speaker 2: Earlier this season one sixty seven nine. It's such an important spine, isn't it. Luke Metcalf Matt there's so much talk about him over here, hasn't yet got another opportunity at first grade. What's your view on this? Mate? Should Andrew Webster go to Luke Metcalf.
Speaker 11: Well, let's paint the picture. First, he had naciel injury that saw him return after the first few rounds this year, then picked up a hamstring injury. By memory, it was against the Sharks in Cronulla earlier this season and hasn't played NRL since.
Speaker 18: Now.
Speaker 11: I've been asked this a lot, and the Warriors our top four for a reason because Tomorrow Martin and Janelle Harris Aviva have been fantastic in the jumpers six and seven.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 11: It is unfortunate for Luke Metcalf, who is an NRL player every day of the week right But when the Warriors are winning and they're at the right end of the table, what justifies Andrew Webster making the change? If they are delivering and they have. I've praised those halves reputedly, not just for their on ball for but also defensively. I think they're underestimated defenders. So it's a comfortable position for coach Webbs to the being to know that if there is a hiccup, if there's a suspension or an injury, then Luke Metcalff comes straight back in. But at the same time, none of the defeat, certainly successive weekends have been diabolical enough for him that so I want to change my hearts because that's a massive piece of surgery. What happens if he does that and one gets a little discontent and then Luke's form isn't quite there or he gets injured or suspended, then it's a bit awkward to bring the bloke you drop back in so I can sort of understand what Andrew Webs is doing. As hard as that is for Luke Metcalf and as genuine as his claims are for NRL.
Speaker 2: Rugby League, Charms Nickel click star back in the number one jersey for the Warriores. How important might.
Speaker 11: He be outstanding person to have on standby? And there's the situation that we can translate to the halves because it came to our Picky has been great, hasn't he Those fast feet at the back? Certainly out of the modern mold of rugby league fullbacks diminutive but still confident in the air with fast feet meat a reading, great way to start your sets. Well, I think Charles Nicolok crook star, who's what hasn't been a starting fullback for the best part of three months? What it come that Frandre Ribsters go, you know what Charms you're in? Look what he did last week when required when Taine was forced off. I thought Charms was fantastic in the forty five minutes he played. And if I'm coach Webster, I'm not losing much sleep the fact that I've got charms filling in for pain.
Speaker 2: We started to get towards the point of the season, Matt, where points differential matters, wins matter. Obviously there's real jockeying for position. Can you sense that familiar urgency now around teams chasing finals football?
Speaker 11: Absolutely I can, and it was on show last night in Melbourne. I did the game Storm hosting the Bulldogs Storm Brave at Canterbury, knowing that if they win they go inside the top eight. They found that winning kick and they rely on their senior players, the likes of Burton and kick out and criton. It might be a bit the same for the Warriors today. You look through that lineup and you say, well, the senior players, the leaders of the two front rowers there in Fisher, Harris and Barnett, they've got a big job to play against. The starting front rowers for dol Coast in mofod Awake, Tino Farsu Mala. Are we when's the last time He's a little question, when was the last time the two starting front rowers in each team were both co captain, So the eight and the ten on both sides of the team yesterday are joint leaders of their teams and I think they've got to play a huge role all.
Speaker 2: Right, production time out the keywis in the crowd this afternoon going to be the happier of the two fan bases, Matt.
Speaker 11: I think they will. I just feel that as well as the Gold Coast Titans are playing. You just touched on it. The Warriors need it more. Their form, while patchy hasn't been diabolical, I feel they fall back into rhythm at a venue where there's going to be huge support and really daytime conditions on the Goal Coast should be a great atmosphere. I can't wait to be there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't wait to hear you call, Matt. Thanks so much for joining us today, mate, Really appreciate your time as.
Speaker 11: Always, anytime thanks to supporter of Rugby League.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks for joining us, Matt. Looking forward to hearing your call. Matt Russell. There he will be on the mic as the Warriors take on the Gold Coast Titans. That game kicks off at five o'clock this afternoon, New Zealand time. Regardless of what happens we'll break it all down for you as part of our Sunday edition of Weekend Sport tomorrow, but of Live Sport for you in PC Round one, Taranaki and Counties going at it in Pukakohe Tartanaki a ten year lead with about ten minutes to go until halftime. Going to celebrate one hundred days until one hundred years of unity through Sport begins. This is a festival celebrating the connection between New Zealand and India with Test cricket and other forms of cricket, some football, some bowls and other bits and pieces too. We'll do that in the next little while. But as we always do on Saturday's at around about this time twenty four to three, it is let's play a sporting chance with a tap. I'm going to offer you the choice of three bets short, evens or long. You decide which one you want. We're going to place a one hundred and fifty dollars bonus bet on your behalf if it comes home the winnings minus the one fifty of yours. You have to be over eighteen years of age. You are, and you'd like to play call now, oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty will take called a number five.
Speaker 1: The biggest names in sports talk to Finey. We can sport with Jason Vine and the audi Q seven Dynamic Black Runout Edition includes thirty thousand dollars of premium upgrades.
Speaker 14: Uth talks b.
Speaker 1: It's time for a sporting chance thanks to TB.
Speaker 2: Two forty on Weekkend Sport. Yes, as the man said, time to play a sporting chants with a tab, Marco, how are you mate?
Speaker 18: Here?
Speaker 7: You get A'm right there you are.
Speaker 2: I'm going very well. Thanks. The game's pretty easy to understand. I'm going to give you three options, short, evens long. You just choose which one you want. We'll place the bed at the tab, and if it happens, you get the winnings. How does that sound?
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, not much.
Speaker 2: Not much you have to do apart from listening carefully to these three options, Marco. The first one, the short option, the making up for last week special. We're calling it NRL Titans Warriors. The better is for the Warriors total tries to be over four and a half. In other words, they'll get five tries or more. It's paying a dollar seventy three you would win one hundred and nine dollars fifty. That is the short bet. Evans is the NPC, the Happy Stag Day Special, Southland v Otago and in the cargo. It's for Southland to win the game, it's paying four dollars. You would win four hundred and fifty and long at the Commonwealth Games it's called the it's only sixteen hundred and nine meters special. It's the Men's Mile, and for Sam Tanner, our man in the black singlet, to win the gold medal, it's paying seventy one dollars. You would win ten and a half thousand dollars. So the New Zealand Warrior is to get five tries or more, you'd win one hundred and nine dollars fifty. Southland to beat Otago you'd win four hundred and fifty. Sam Tanner to win the Men's Mile at the Colm Games you'd win ten and a half thousand.
Speaker 11: What are you going to go with, Marco, I've got to back the team to win the mile.
Speaker 2: I think, so a ten and a half grand just for being calling number five, I'd be taking too well it Why not, mate, why not? We will place the bet for you. We'll be cheering Sam Tanner home. Imagine if he wins Marco ten and a half grand Let's have the powers that be are listening and watching and that Sam Tanner is your man who wins the gold medal. Good on your Marco hold there. Make sure that Andy's got all the right details for you. We're going to place the bet on your behalf the ta B bonus bet. Keep our fingers crossed for you if it comes home the winnings of yours. Place a three plus leg same game multi on the NRL Super Rugby or US Basketball and if it fails by one leg, get bonus cash back, teas and seas apply. We'll do it again next week. We'll play a Sporting Chants again next Saturday. Thanks to our mates at the tabs. Always please bet responsibly coming up seventeen to three. Sport has long been one of the strongest connections between New Zealand and India, and this year that relationship is being celebrated in a big way. We are now just one hundred days away from the one hundred Years of Unity through Sport Festival, a nationwide celebration featuring a record twelve match black Cap series against India. Two All Whites Internationals, a new Trans Tasman Bowls series, along with cultural, community and business events. It's all designed to mark a century of sporting ties between the two countries and showcase the power of sport to bring people together. The program director helping drive it all is Jamie Taunty. Joins us Now, Jamie Gratachat to you, we've reached the one hundred days to go, Mark, how excited are you about what November will bring?
Speaker 15: Well, first and foremost, Pinty, that was an amazing intro. I think you could actually do my job.
Speaker 11: My job is burning cats, and you've certainly summed it up really well.
Speaker 15: Look, it is super exciting and the energy out there in the Indian community is overwhelming. It's so cool to see so many people getting behind this. It's not just the sports that have been named already, it's those that are out there looking for how they can get involved. So it's an amazing history and I'd love to share a bit of that history with you, Pineer. It's just a really great story.
Speaker 2: Well let's do that and tell us a bit about the one hundred years between these two countries that have led us to this point and to the celebration.
Speaker 15: Well, nineteen twenty six, the Indian Army hockey team came out to New Zealand to play a series ended up being seventeen matches back in the day where there wasn't a lot of workload monitoring, and they got through a hell of a lot of games. They won all but one of their games up and down the country, just drawing one. But the remarkable thing about that team, and apart from the fact they covered a lot of miles, is there was some really great backstories amongst the team. Peter Mitzgimmings's grandfather, who was Xee of Sport New Zealand and out sort of my right hand one hundred percent in sport diplomacy around New Zealand around the world. His grandfather was actually the match official in that team. Sid Holland, our twenty fifth Prime Minister of New Zealand, was the New Zealand team's selector of that tour.
Speaker 11: But the final part was Dan Charmed.
Speaker 15: He is the goat of hockey and he took part in that first ever match series here in New Zealand. So it's got an incredible backstory and all things being equal, hockey was the fifty first years, and you could argue that now cricket has taken up the mantle in that second fifty years.
Speaker 2: It has indeed an India's cricket team, as I mentioned, playing a record twelve match tour of New Zealand. But we've got the All Whites, We've got an International Bowl series with more to come. How important was it to have a number of sports represented rather than just relying on one real headline event.
Speaker 11: I look, it really is.
Speaker 15: India is one of the largest and fastest growing sports markets in the World's got a strong fan base. They're increasing their investment across the board in sport, not just in cricket but other sports as well. It's got a real aspiration to host upcoming international events, looking as far ahead as twenty thirty six where they're looking to put their name in the hat for the host in the Olympics. So they're looking at New Zealand now as two ways in which and I hate saying this piny, but we continue to punch above our weight. It's the phrase. It gets off the news. India looks to New Zealand to see, well, how do you do that? What are the ways in systems? Or how do we train our athletes in the ip that sits behind that that may help them. I guess move towards those targets have been really successful on the world stage. So look, I think it's super important to have those that vast array of sports. And I think there's no better example than bowls. Bowls is the only sport that I am aware of that male male para athletes can all compete on the same green. And we've seen it during the Commonwealth Games. We've got a twenty three year old playing someone.
Speaker 11: Who's over seventy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, amazing and just hope for us all, hope for us all all. Yeah, yeah, you've vented that. There are still some more announcements to come. So with that having too much, what sort of editions can we expect over the next well ninety nine days anyway?
Speaker 11: Yeah, Look, the.
Speaker 15: Events themselves have received funding from the government's Event Boost Fund and so that they have aspirations across the number of things. It's not just in sport, it's across obviously the way in which we might develop business between the two countries. We know that India Indian students have a large footprint here now particular across a lot of our university programs. The education plays a role, so you might see some education initiatives. We know that we are always interested in showing off our beautiful country, so tourism plays a role, so you can expect to see a number of announcements across sports, business, education and those sort of areas as well. So it's it's a unique program, mates, and it's something that I'm obviously very excited about.
Speaker 2: Now I can tell even more than normal, Jamie. You're always one of the more enthusiastic people I get the chance to have a chat to, and this is obviously something which is really invigorating you. We often talk about the power of sport to bring people together. Will this create some good opportunities for New Zealand's large and growing Indian community to feel a real part of this.
Speaker 15: The Indian community as it stands, is the third largest ethnic population in New Zealand. It's about three hundred and fifty thousand and growing. I guess you could say sport was the first handshake ever made between New Zealand and India, and that's where sort of one hundred year relationships start and it continues to bring people together.
Speaker 11: The Indian community.
Speaker 15: Like I say, they contribute in so many ways, not just in sport, but through business and education here in New Zealand, and it's such a vibrant community that we're extremely lucky that it's not going to be isolated to Auckland. It's going to be Auckland, christ Church, Wellington, Tottering and Hamilton. So it's up and down the country. And whilst it's a year long program, most of the events happen in November and the main festival period is between the ninth and the twenty second of November, so it's very cool Ponty and I think there'll be other things happening during the year. In fact, rugby has already played a significant role.
Speaker 2: It's you mentioned at the start. It's like hurting cats and I can imagine with anything of this size there are some logistical challenges. How have you found it sort of pulling all of the bits and pieces together with now we're getting down to only one hundred days to go.
Speaker 15: Oh look, I think our superpower in New Zealand is working together and it's so cool that we've got awesome host cities or putting their hand up to use. Even some of their existing events that they've got in their calendar to really amplify this opportunity with India. So whether it's looking at christ Church down they're in the Cup week, or whether it might be their fashions festival they've got going on, there are multiple ways in which they can bring those other events to life with an Indian feel on theme. So yeah, we're super lucky with great host cities. And I've got to give a shout out to people like New Zealand Cricket, New Zealand Football, New Zealand Bowls, so we're all working in collaboration to ensure this is a great success.
Speaker 11: And look I mentioned rugby before, mate, there.
Speaker 15: Was a request come down from India to look at how rugby might be involved in the program.
Speaker 11: And earlier this year New Zealand Rugby come on board to.
Speaker 15: Send up Well probably I'll say it outright, Alan Bunting, our greatest ever women's rugby coach, went up to India for a few days with Varnye Wolf Graham and Kahu Kerry to deliver a coaching program in sevens up there. And look, some of those rugby ties will continue later in the year where we send up a couple of age group squads to India to take part in a in a training week with the Indian equivalents, which is pretty cool as well.
Speaker 2: Indeed it is indeed it is one hundred years of Unity through Sport coming up in November, one hundred days away, Jamie, Thanks for taking time out of what I know is a very busy all for you to have a chat to us this afternoon.
Speaker 15: Are you're a champion Pointy? Thanks for making time mate.
Speaker 2: No, thank you for joining us, Jamie. Jamie Taut, program director of one hundred Years of Unity through Sport, celebrating one hundred years of competition between New Kilinda and India on the sporting fields of both countries. Look forward to hearing more as November draws closer. Night away from three News Talks, heab.
Speaker 1: The big names and the big calls on your home of Sport Weekend Sport with Jason Vine News Talks.
Speaker 2: Heb two point fifty four. That'll just about do us quick look ahead to the show tomorrow. The All Blacks are now in South Africa, as you've heard across our news bulletins today, We're going to get a view from South Africa about how they're feeling about all of this. Have they have they?
Speaker 9: Well?
Speaker 2: Are they sharing any of our sense of optimism around the All Blacks or are they supremely confident that the spring Box will do a number on us over the next couple of months or so. So we've got that for you. We'll review the Warriors and also here from Auckland FC's brand new coach, Pedro Modadda, among other things. Anything happens at the Colm Games, we'll cover that off for you as well. Thanks for listening in. Thanks to any McDonald for producing the show. As usual, what is our exit song today? Finely? This is one for our good friend in Switzerland who runs runs FIFA.
Speaker 7: It's the man who sold the World or as I'm gonna call it, the man who sold the World Cup.
Speaker 10: Love it see tomorrow, folks, love me, revele mospitl.
Speaker 2: Your face, your face looking up so the world.
Speaker 1: For more from Weekends Sport with Jason Fine, listen live to News Talks It B weekends from midday, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio.