Speaker 1: Football Fever, the podcast keeping you up to date with the beautiful game with the voice of football Jason Paine and Insid heralds Michael Burgess, powered by News Talks hebby.
Speaker 2: Welcome and a very merry Christmas to you. The Fest of season is, I guess you'd say, upon us, and a pretty festive weekend and a successful weekend for the three New Zealand sides involved in the A League's competitions. I'm Jason Pine, Michael Burgess is here. Win win, win, three WS three up, three down. Bird's not bad for the three teams and the A leagues across the weekend from New Zealand.
Speaker 3: Triple treaty was perfect. Wasn't it a great way to start the fest of season? And I don't imagine it's happened all that often since Auckland came into the league that we've had all three teams went on the same weekend, so pretty special.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. I don't know that the Wellington Phoenix men and women have won very often on the same weekend. I'll get my statisticians onto it, but you're right, please do It was a very very rare thing, but a very pleasing thing as far as football on this side of the Tasman is concerned. We might jump straight to Saturday afternoon where we had a record breaking game at Pottydoor Park the Wellington Phoenix Women's seven Sydney FC nil at Pottydoor Park, most goals scored in a game ever by the Phoenix women, biggest winning margin in Phoenix club history by the men's or the women's team, and Sydney FC's biggest ever A League women's defeat. BF Priestman said during the week that someone's going to get a hiding from us. Surely she couldn't have expected that it would be that emphatic though, seven nil.
Speaker 3: You hear coaches say that quite a bit, that we're do a big game, and often you think, oh, they're just saying it to sort of to sort of make things sound good or to give everyone confidence. But sometimes they're saying it because they can see it coming, they can see something in the inside and you know they had been playing well. But that was that was what you dream about, wasn't it. That's what you dream about when you set up this woman's team, and especially with the investment this season, to win like that, but to win like that against the big team like Sydney there, one of the biggest clubs in Australia.
Speaker 2: Yeah, incredible really, and for so many reasons. It was an important game, the fact that that had those two games on the road and hadn't got a goal or a point in either of them. I also heard birds that before the weekend, off the back of last weekend's results for the men's and the women's teams, that Rob Morrison was absolutely apoplectic when he spoke with the club's football department. They've invested a lot of money in the women's team, as we know, the men you know, losing at home to the bottom team. Rob Morrison was most displeased, I understand, so he would have had a brighter smile, I'm sure after the weekend. Certainly, Bev said to me on the radio yesterday, I put a smile on the chairman's face.
Speaker 4: We certainly did.
Speaker 2: It just looked good from the start though getting an early goal I think is always a thing to do, isn't it. It sounds so obvious, but having not scored in the previous two for Mania Elliott to score in the third minute, it kind of takes that pressure off and and just you know, allows you to breathe a bit easier from the start.
Speaker 4: It's the here we go moment, isn't it.
Speaker 3: They had been unlucky, like I don't want to be sound like a hindsight hero like Mike Costing likes to talk about. But the previous the previous two matches, we've been saying, Piney, they had played well, you know, they had played well. They were desperate and lucky against Perth to lose that match, and they had way more opportunities against Melbourne City. So they had been playing well, but it just hadn't hadn't happened for them, and there must have been doubts. So to start so well and to go on with it in the first half must have been such a lift and they're thinking, Okay, this is what this is what's supposed to happen, this is what we've been doing in training and it's finally coming off.
Speaker 4: Maybe or that that.
Speaker 3: Shooting and finishing practice you suggested as well was definitely helpful because it was spot.
Speaker 4: On, wasn't it. It took the goals.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The other thing you said last week, which which has sort of resonated with me and I've been thinking about, is that you said that you thought this would be a team that was better in the second half of the season than they have been in the first half, or will be in the first half. Look, here we are about six or seven games in, and I think that's that's starting to look, you know, like a very accurate prediction. Maybe it just does just take a bit of time for a new coach, a new bunch of players, a few injuries, just you know, lots of factors.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: It wasn't like they've been playing poorly either, they just hadn't been getting the results. I don't think that their performance has perhaps deserved. Look this, this feels like a watershed moment. Will we look back at the end of the season and say, look, that was it the seven mill against Sydney FC. Is where this season actually began?
Speaker 3: Possibly? Yeah, Like it's the old turning point, isn't it. They had to win. But to win like that and to have the clean sheet, I mean, that's a pretty good foundation for what's coming.
Speaker 4: And they've they've got good players, They've got a good squad. You know.
Speaker 3: I'd started to hear over the last week a bit of criticism of Samba and saying that, oh, it's great, she's got all the support and you know, it's amazing that the Nepalese that had come out everywhere they play.
Speaker 4: But she's got to start producing.
Speaker 3: But my argument was, well, she has actually looked quite good, so someone like her, what a boost. And also think of the young players in that team ay that like, imagine how they'll be feeling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, incredible. It must just be such a boost to have a result like that and to know, okay, we are actually a team that can score goals. Samba's first two goals for the club. Grace Charlie got a couple as well, the early one from a Nia Aliat those two late own goals. Incidentally, the third goal was Wellington Phoenix's one hundredth A League women's goal. But what I really liked Birde was they didn't sit back at three nil or four nil or five nil even you know, they kept going, but also retain that defensive base because when you're five nil up, it's easy to let one in because it doesn't matter, right, five nil, five to one, you still get the three points. But it seemed as though they were still very very keen on that clean sheet even though the points were well and truly secure by that stage.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a good point, mate, Like the hunger was there, wasn't it. You see other games real ends up, you know six two or six three even, you know, because everything gets a bit loose and you just start going for things and forget about defending. But it wasn't the case. You know, they stayed on their assignments but still wanted more. So very positive signs. I mean, they know they've dropped points, that's the thing. Though. They know they've dropped points. We talked about it last week. There should be another four or five points up the table. But now the chance comes to make those points up in the coming weeks.
Speaker 2: And it actually doesn't matter too much because the table is so tight. Yes, of course, they would have loved to have had those points, and they'd be probably well, they would be in a better position than they are. But as this win has taken them to eight points, they're in eighth position. But they're you know, there are only two points behind the third placed Central Coast Mariners, and they've got a game in hand because of the uneven nature of the competition where there's a bye, so you know they're they're there or thereabouts. Can we talk about the away form because they go away next to second bottom Western Sydney on Tuesday night. Huge chants this to claim a first away win of the season and jump into the top six. But I don't know what you think whether the whether the the away day blues of previous teams can be you know, automatically assigned to this team because they have played well, haven't they away from home against Melbourne City against Perth could have easily got something out of both of those games. So maybe the away day blues are something from seasons past. I don't know what you think.
Speaker 3: I think so yeah, I think it's unfair to tarnish them with that the club has struggled away. We all know that the clubs women's teams struggled away, but this team feels different. It felt different just in those two performances, like to do what they did against City restrict their chances have so many of their own chances, Perth played them off the park. This is it's definitely a new beginning and let's hope that starts to show through away from home. They're much more professional, They've got much more resources behind them, so you think that would pay off and it has to, doesn't it, because if they're going to be contenders, they can't just rely on their home form.
Speaker 2: No, exactly right, they do have to win their away games or certainly get points away from home, and like I say, it feels as though away at second bottom Western Sydney on Tuesday night is a massive chance to capitalize on the momentum that they would have gained from the winover over Sydney FC. Just a word on Grace jarla second goal as well her tenth for the club. She is now the equal top scorer in the club's women's history with ten, alongside Maddy Ana Spekma. So you'd have to think that she will at some stage take that mental interesting and we've talked a bit about Grace Jarlay and where her best position is just sitting a bit deeper with you know, c J. Bott, I guess the deepest of the midfielder. Is Grace still able to sort of you know, play a bit further forward but make her impact in central positions. Maybe that is the place for her. Maybe we've finally landed on Grace Charlie's best position, Birch.
Speaker 3: It's taking a while and we've discussed this, you know, whenever we were catching up around the Ferns and Woman's World Cup and everything. I just I think you felt the same. Just always felt she was wasted out wide. So as long as she's central, whether it's further forward or striker or a bit deeper, but as long as she's central, I think she can make an impact. And by the way, I love that story about Rob because he's such a busy guy. You know, he doesn't get involved that much. But when he's coming down and banging his fists on the table, you know that, you know that something's happened. I don't know something to change. You know, he's a pretty how would you describe him. He's a pretty understanding and patient guy. You know, he's not one of those owners that flies off the handle that you see in Europe. But they're obviously there had come a time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not sure i'd want to be on the end of a displeased Rob Morrison. But look it's obviously worked because both teams pulled their socks up and got the results they were after. So the Wellington Phoenix Woman, as I say, next away against the Western Sydney Wanderers on the thirtieth of December.
Speaker 1: The Football Fever Podcast with Jason Vine and Michael Burgess.
Speaker 2: Let's jump back to Friday night, Western Sydney Wanderer's nil Auckland f C two at Combank a third straight win for Auckland f C. They reclaimed top spot for the first time since round four. This felt like a quintessential game of two halves to me, birds not particularly inspiring in the first half, a reset at halftime. I'm second half very good, a functional Auckland FC two nil win away from home.
Speaker 4: Good performance, really.
Speaker 3: Good performance and really good result. I mean you're right about the first half. But Western Sydney were playing well. They looked like the team that they can be and that you were hoping them to be when we did our pre season predictions. I mean, they're a good side. They were playing well and Auckland just were very sloppy. They couldn't keep the ball. They were killing themselves with some bad passing and it looked like the Wondrous press is really good, didn't it. So they were pressing, putting pressure. Auckland couldn't put their own pressure on but as we've seen, it gets repetitive. But they found a way to stay in the contest rather than be too kneel down. You know, they defended pretty well and then it was still game on at halftime.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Boja cry hitting the post in the first half would have been the closest that Western Sydney came to opening the scoring and year they just haven't haven't found what they're after in the first eight or nine games of the season. They've got the talent, there's absolutely no doubt, they've got the roster to be a lot better off than they are. And the tables so tight and I'm sure they will climb into the upper echelons, you know, perhaps in the early part of the new year. But I just the all Auckland FC again just controlled the game so well in the second half. They scored after fifty seven minutes. Now on that goal that's been given to Jesse Randall, that goal officially by the A League. How has Jesse Randall been credited with that goal? If I'm Sam Cosgrove, I'm writing a very very stern letter and I'm sure he won't because he's not that kind of guy to the questionable goals panel if such a thing exists, and asking them how on earth it's been credited to Jesse Randall.
Speaker 4: I mean Jesse was lying on the ground. He could have been asleep.
Speaker 3: It could have been asleep, and it just sort of hits his ankle, Like in what universe does that become his goal? I just this kind of thing really bugs me because it must really bug the players even though they never say it. And I'd just love to know who makes this decision. Have they ever played football? Do they understand, you know, what what what a vital deflection is and what's not. I just i'd like to see I don't know, maybe a sort of media briefing. They can do it occasionally, like the NRL do where they came out on Monday and they explain the different things, because it's just nuts.
Speaker 2: We'll put it this way. If that's a defender on the ground and Sam Cosgrove takes the shot and it flicks up off the ankle of the defender and into the net, a shot that's already on target. You've seen it from behind. He's shot, it's on target. It's obviously taking the deflection and gone up into the into the upper part of the goal. But if it's a if it's an opposition player, is that an own goal? Is that called an own goal?
Speaker 4: Not normally?
Speaker 3: Not normally, like I think we all we're all overthinking things in this sage and we sent to find things that aren't there. I mean, even the way they gave Cosgrove the goal in Wellington. Maybe he'd touched it just before the line. I don't know, I haven't seen the footage. That kind of makes sense, but it's still blood annoying. But this one was just just nuts.
Speaker 2: Imagine if you had money on Sam Cosgrove as the first goal scorer, and I'm sure people would have, you know, how does that get explained? I mean, I know that's not the main thing here, but anyway, we're probably dwelling on it a bit much. And as you say, maybe justice for Jesse Randall after Costrove kind of did steal that goal off him in Wellington. If it had been given to Cosgrove, he'd be top of the Golden Boot now with five. As it stands, he's on four with about five or six other players. But yeah, look, I think the most important thing is that the ball went in and Auckland had their one nill lead, and from there it felt very much like the previous weekend that they were in control of the game, weren't going to lose it just a matter of whether they score another goal, which they did. Lockey Brook play broken up by the excellent Louis via Strata. In midfield, Brook cuts inside scores against his former club. Gee. I like the way he's playing at the moment Burge. I know it's early, but he is starting to creep into Johnny Warren Metal consideration.
Speaker 4: Lachland Brook.
Speaker 2: I just love the way that he has adjusted the life at Auckland FC in a couple of different positions and impacts every game of football that he plays.
Speaker 4: He does.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's he came back with something to prove, didn't he because the MLS hadn't really worked. But everyone knew he's a good player. That's what makes it such a such a smart signing. And it's obvious he has adjusted so well to Croaker's system, which probably isn't easy for someone like him because he's an attacking player who wants to He's more focused on stuff in the final third, adjusted well, gets on well with the group and as you say, I mean it's quite it's quite unusual to be able to play two positions so well, isn't it the way he has?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And he may have to as well revert to where he was because we had really good bench impacted from Kazuma, Mai and Felipe Guy Goss who came on ten minutes after the break. Hiroki Sarki joined them in the sixty third minute. Rogerson, Brummer, Elliott are all replaced. How will Steve Corriker manage this burge? Because much as all the players will say, we want what's best for the team, and whatever's best for the team, those players all want to play. They all want to play, and they can't all play. You can't play Cosgrove, Randall, Brook, Rogerson and Mai. Let alone start thinking about Francois and Gillian. You can't really play both Sarki and Elliott. You can't really play Verstrata, Brummer and guy Goss. How is he going to do this?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think it's one of his biggest challenges because one of the best things about auckland see last year was that Okay used He used his player as well, and he gave them more time when he could. But people accepted their roles on or off the you know, on the field, or on the bench really kicking stones. The culture was good and you don't always see that, you know, So his challenge in the second season will be can he keep everyone happy or is there going to start to be a bit of dissatisfaction because, as you say, all those players would expect and be entitled to think they're good enough to start My will be a will be an ongoing one, and that they're not going to risk anything because he's so important. So he might continue to be an impact player with his knee. But the other two, I mean, Felipe was a regular last season, wasn't he was? He was one of the first pick. Broom has been going well, but I don't know, does it Does it become a thing where you replace the midfielder after sixty five seventy minutes for the extra energy?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I personally don't like it, but maybe it's the way the game. The game's going, especially the A League because it's so fast, so transitional.
Speaker 2: What about Sarkai? He comes back, doesn't he when he's fit. Elliott's been good, very very good, good player. But if Hiroarki, Sarki can play ninety minutes or certainly if he can start a game. He starts the game, doesn't he's club captain, he.
Speaker 4: Does, he does, He can't leave him out.
Speaker 3: And Callum was really good on that last week in the media session, he said, you know, look, Hierroki's a club cap, then he's a legend.
Speaker 4: I still think I'm good enough to.
Speaker 3: Play, and i still want to play, but I'm also realistic with the situation. So I love that attitude. I mean, what Couraker can do is bring Callen on sometimes with tend to go if the game looks and also he's an option to bring on further forward as well, so there are ways to skin it. But yeah, Hiroki, he's got to be there because he brings so many other layers, doesn't he.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was just great to see him out there. And he made one run down the right hand side which almost suggested right on back my hamstrings fixed. You know. He set off down the right and you don't often really see it from haruky sark guy. He doesn't get forward as much as Devrees on the other side, but he just sort of it was almost like he was making a point. He carried on with the ball for about forty fifty meters all the way up to the attacking half, and so maybe he was saying to Steve Corrick, all right, I'm I'm ready, I'm And it would not be a surprise at all if he starts against Sydney FC on Saturday, massive game which will get to in a moment. But just even talking about the selection problems, wouldn't some other coaches love the problems that Steve Gorrick has. Wouldn't chief he love love some issues like this? So do I play? Do I play Guy Goss or Brummer? Do I play Elliott or Sarkai? Do I play my or Brook or Rogerson or Randall? It's I mean, these are wonderful problems to haven't they?
Speaker 4: Well? Is this the best bench in the league?
Speaker 2: Has to be, has to be, has to be?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I think so? Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, I mean you look at the well when you can have when you can have three imports on the bench, and often if you you know, we often talk about imports and think, okay, well that they need to be starting players, and when you can have three of them on the bench because of being kept out. You know, yes, there's been injuries and I know that, and players coming back, but when they can they can add impact off the bench. I mean imagine looking over and seeing my and Guy Goss and Sarki coming on for the last thirty minutes. You know, if you've held the Auckland FC to to a relatively close scoreline, look over and you see that is your impact. I mean that's got to be disheartening it itself, doesn't it.
Speaker 4: It's some mer till or is it?
Speaker 3: To look up and not see now they're coming on and I'm feeling tired already. Yeah, it's a great situation they've got themselves in.
Speaker 2: You've got a piece in the Herald this morning regarding Auckland f C's travels and I just want to read a bit from it which talks about the facts of the matter. The club as yet to taste defeat you right in New South Wales, Queensland or South Australia have only lost two of sixteen A League matches outside New Zealand. The first was in Perth in January. The second came against Western United and a dead rubber in May, a week after they'd wrapped up the Premier's plate, with the squad probably still in celebratory mode. Two losses in sixteen away matches. That is no one would have a record like that. Why have they been so good on the road.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's remarkable, especially you know for a trans Tasman team. I mean there's probably a few elements. They've got the recipe right, they have tweaked things over time and they now fly two days before, which is a luxury. What would that cost them an extra ten grand to stay an extra night, I'd say something like that. So that's a luxury. That's what resources can do for you. But more than that, it's definitely a mindset thing. You know that they had some tricky games away in the early part in their first season and they got through them, you know, and I think it's just just built from there. Obviously as well, they're defensively very solid. But man, it's not easy to travel and get results, really isn't. And the fact I've done it, I don't know, I just find it. I just find extraordinary. Really, it is extraordinary.
Speaker 2: And it's not an away game as a side based in New South Wales where Sydney FC go away to Central Coast, Marras is now up the road, Newcastle two hours up the road. Even if flying into State is an hour unless you're going across to Western Australia. This is major international travel every time they go. And look Wellington Phoenix, both the men's and the women's sides, as we've mentioned, have had real trouble, you know, putting together any sort of consistency on the road, but to only lose twice in sixteen games, one of which, as you say, was effectively a dead rubber after they won the Premier's plate. So one proper away loss and that was the Perth Glory who were bottom. I think at the time it was an absolute aberration. So look, it probably needs to be studied and other teams. I mean, certainly Wellington would love to have that sort of a way day form. They'd go again, don't they. So if they traveled two days before, does that mean awk see a traveling on Christmas Day to get to Sydney for the game on Saturday?
Speaker 4: They are?
Speaker 3: They are, So that's another little challenge. They'll travel in the afternoon, as I remember that, I think they've got a three pm flight something like that, so you don't got to be the airport one o'clock, so you have your family time in the morning and then boom, you're off to the airport on the plane.
Speaker 4: Not ideal, but they are a close knit group as well.
Speaker 3: They do enjoy spending time together and I guess they see these trips as well as a chance for team bonding and stuff. But it's certainly not your not your ideal Christmas day.
Speaker 2: No. But then, having said that, and you made this point last week, there aren't a lot of players in the team who have families. You know, a lot of them have partners, but they're you know Hiracki, Sarka's got kids. A couple of others may as well, but most of them I think you know a young girl on that so they haven't started their families yet. So so you know, it's not quite as bad, isn't it saying goodbye to your wife or your girlfriend. If it's just them, they can see their family. You know, that might be quite nice. Actually, you go and see your family. I'll go to Australia for a game of football. I'm not a castle aspersions on any of the partner's families, of course, with dangerous or very dangerous, very just but look, it's obviously worked for them and this is a massive game away at Sydney FC Saturday Night one v Two, first of three games between the two this season. It feels like these are the top two teams, not just on the table but in the A League. While other teams are taking points off one another and sort of scrapping and losing the odd game here and there. It feels like these are the top two. Having said that, Newcastle they have beaten Sydney FC. That was an impressive win. Have we been a bit harsh or Newcastle They've beaten Sydney FC. They've come to New Zealand and beaten both Auckland FC and the Wellington Phoenix. They're obviously a pretty good side.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I just thought maybe we look back we were because you know, they were bottom when they beat Auckland, then they were bottom when they beat the Phoenix. But maybe they're definitely not the worst team in the league, and they've got all these young players. But to beat Sydney they look like they did. That's pretty impressive because I like what I've seen from Sydney and I've got no doubt that ufuk Tale will be really up for this. He would love to beat, not just especially Steve Gyker's former clubmate but to beat Auckland. So this this will be absolute beauty.
Speaker 2: Well, and Steve Coracker still gets a bit misty eyed when he talks about Sydney FC. You know, I noticed he was asked to, you know, and I don't mind it from him. I have to say, I've come to really enjoy Steve Coricker's media, you know, conferences. I just think he's he's so honest, like because it would be easy to say, no, Sydney, that's my past team. I've got no you know, I don't. I don't think about them anymore. He still gets He still gets a bit nostalgic and fair enough to he was ever ages. But I like that about him. I just like it, like that he sits there after a game and just tells the truth, you know, and it seems so obvious, but he you know, I'm really liking just the authenticity that he brings. He'll you know, it's like art, isn't it as well? So it's not it's be nice and you know, sort of condensed in there, but of a hostile atmosphere. Could be a cracking game, Birch.
Speaker 4: It could be beauty.
Speaker 3: I really think it could be one of the best games of the season so far, and I love your point about Croaker. Could also think the first game against Sydney, which was what round two last year, wasn't that Yeah, that was a big moment. But since then, actually I remember him saying last season every game has still felt a bit weird because he was he was part of the furniture.
Speaker 4: He's a Sydney icon.
Speaker 3: I mean, what was he at the club for sort of almost twenty years, So it's still going to be strange.
Speaker 4: But he is. He does manage to.
Speaker 3: Say what he thinks in press conferences. He's not maybe as careful as other coaches, and authentic is a good word.
Speaker 2: And also there's no doubt once the game starts, which you know which side he's on. He might be in his old stamping ground, his spiritual home, but there's no doubt at all that he is an Auckland FC coach through and through when the game starts. So you're looking forward to that one Saturday night, seven o'clock at Leichhardt as Auckland FC go back on the road to take on Sydney FC.
Speaker 1: Good balls either with Jason paid and.
Speaker 2: So let's go to Sunday afternoon in the Sunshine again at Sky Stadium in Wellington. Wellington Phoenix three the Central Coast Mariners. One great weekend for the Phoenix seven nil on Saturday, three to one on Sunday, much needed win for the Phoenix men. They were last going into the game because Melbourne Victory had won the night before, but they jumped from last to seventh and just one point behind the team that currently sits in fourth place.
Speaker 4: So it's so tight.
Speaker 2: But just how big a win in the overall scheme of things, the landscape of the points table going into the game, and just for the confidence of the team and its fans was this.
Speaker 4: It was massive. It was massive.
Speaker 3: We talked about it at length last week about the situation, and they couldn't afford anything less, especially against the Mariners who have been struggling so much themselves, especially when they've got the schedule they've got coming up away from home. But mainly just to show that they still believed in themselves, still believe than the coach, and to offer everyone else, everyone else some belief because it had been dwindling. So really, really really big result. It's only one game, but it feels a bit more important than that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, as far as as a boost at the right time is concerned, and it came with a bit of adversity as well. Josh olaway Amy, who's been excellent, you know, one of the best goalkeepers in the league in the first couple of months of the season, injured in just the eleventh minute making a save. Actually he came off with what looked to be an ankle injury. He was in a moon boot, so I haven't heard any update yet as to how long he might be out for. Almost certainly going to miss the next game. But whether it's just a bad twist or a bad spray, or whether there's something worse than that, I guess we'll find out. But what it did do was open the door for an A League men's debut for eighteen year old goalkeeper Amon McCarran. He had played against Rexham mid year and in the Australia Cup, but a big, big occasion for I think reserve goalkeepers always know they might play, but most of the time they don't. What would it be ninety five percent of the time, probably even more than that. You sit on the bench. You know, you warm the keeper up before the game. You sit on the bench, but you never get the call eleven minutes in this eighteen year old kids out there are a pretty crucial game.
Speaker 3: It it must be. It must be so hard because as you say, you're sitting on the bench, you think of other things. You know you're not you're not going to play. You're a bit relaxed, and suddenly boom, it's on and you're out there. And for a young guy rather than the you know, for a guy, it feels like he's gone from number three to number two, which is kind of unusual, isn't it. Its number three keeper stays as number three keeper.
Speaker 2: I think it's a really interesting point because if I remember last year, about midway through the season, Janklotaliano decided to make a change in goal, wasn't happy with what Josh Olowaymey was giving him, and I made the decision to bring lbie Kelly Healed INSS number one, so basically swapped as one and two a round and LB Kelly Heild played, i think from memories, seven or eight games before injuring his shoulder in training and then being ruled out for their is to the season oll Away and he came back in and that was that. But if lb Kelly healed was number one last season. He's back from that injuries, played half a dozen National League games. He sat on the bench I think a couple of weeks ago, but obviously didn't get on. Has he gone from number one to number three? What's happened there? Yeah?
Speaker 4: I mean I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean goalkeeping a mystery to me anyway, and it seems that the only people who understand are the goalkeeping coaches. You know, they have their own little club and they trained together and they talk about it. But it's unusual. I can't remember that happening at too many clubs. I thought Albie did quite well last season, although I always felt Josh should be the number one, given as whose background and his pedigree.
Speaker 4: So yeah, it's unusual.
Speaker 2: I think the reason for the change, or one of the reasons for the change, was that Chief you liked Albi Kelly Held's ability to play with the ball at his feet, and that's always been a little bit of a question mark over Josh. He's a terrific shot stopper and has actually improved with his feet, but still gives you the odd nervous moment. But I think he's the better shot stopping goalkeeper, and I agree he should be number one and his performances a season. Even if Albert Kelly held was available, I think Josh would have had the gloves. But it just seems odd to me. But we don't know what happens, you know, in training and stuff, chief, he said after the game yesterday. It's a contestable position that number two spot. Amon mccawran is currently ahead of Albi Kelly healed and almost certainly will start against Victory. I have to say, though, Burge, if I'm the Central Coast Mariners, I'm peppering Amon mccawran's goal. They hardly tested him yesterday. I know for a fact Melbournevie will be absolutely peppering Amon mccarran's goal on the weekend.
Speaker 3: It was a bit strange, wasn't it to be to not see a few more shots and just not flinging in some more crosses, just to hey, there's a kid and goal. He's just come on, let's see what he's made of. That's the standard thing in any level of football, isn't it. Let's test the new keeper, Let's give him a bit of grief, Let's do a bit of sledging, all that kind of stuff, and it didn't really happen, which was a surprise.
Speaker 2: And when it did, they scored. They had the shot from outside the area. He's gone across to his left, I'm sure, and any goalkeeping review and I'm not a keeper, neither of you, and like you, it's a bit of a mystery to me sometimes, but he should do better with that, shouldn't he. I know's I don't want to be too hard on an eighteen year old on debut who's come off the bench unexpectedly, but as he goes across, it seems to me as though you either hold that or you push it wide. The fact that he's sort of patted it back into a position where Sabaitnor was able to come in and tuck it away, that's a goalkeeping error for me. And look again, it's his debut, and beyond that, I think he was pretty solid. But it's still I think has to come under under scrutiny, and it makes it so strange to me why the Mariners didn't didn't do that more, just fire shot him from anywhere. Maybe you know, I'd have to have a look, but maybe McCarran was protected a lot better by his defense than I initially thought. But look, good luck to the kid. You know, he'll have a he'll have an absolute baptism of fire from it in a starting debut at Amy Parking against Melbourn Victory on the weekend. And look, I guess we'll find out a lot more about him then we will.
Speaker 3: And the Phoenix have got a pretty good record of bringing through young keepers, you know, they have done it plenty of times in the past, so I'm looking forward to seeing more of him. And but you are right, he just needed to push that ball a bit further away. It was a nice, very clever finish from a very tight angle, but just need to push a bit away because it could have been really costly to concede in the fiftieth minute, basically after having the lead. In the end it wasn't but could have been.
Speaker 2: It could have been. They got the lead in the thirty sixth Corbyn Piper. This was a terrific piece of football from Kazuki Nagasawa, who I think just quietly is just growing into quite an important part of this team. He stole the ball in midfield, drove forward, played a really clever pass into Piper who did what of control and then knock it passed Andrew Redmain for one nil. Nill makes it, makes it one all at half time. As I understand it, Birch Jihan Carlo Ataliano absolutely blew up at halftime, peeled the paint off the walls inside that changing room for letting the Mariners back into the game in the fashion that they did. He wasn't having a go at Amon McCarran, as I understand that, he was more annoyed about Hughes playing the pass to is a is not holding on to it. The marin is getting the ball Rufer being stood up on the edge of the area to allow the pitch you go to get the shot away. And then Kelly held and James not reacting quick enough when the ball was spilled by McCarran. By the sounds of it, he absolutely went to town on them at halftime.
Speaker 4: That's good, though, isn't it. It's good.
Speaker 3: I think you've got to do that sometimes. The fans love hearing about that. The players sometimes need that, they need the wake up call because it's quite old fashioned. You know, it's the Alex Ferguson thing. But it's still relevant, you know, it's still still needed. And as you pinpointed that sequence, there were five or six moments there weren't. There are five or six little lapses that ended up with the goal.
Speaker 2: Well, it clearly worked because it was almost the direct opposite to last week where Wellington came out, you know, after the break and consider what three and seven minutes or whatever it was. They didn't score three, but they scored two pretty quickly. The penalty which was I'm not quite sure how the referee hasn't seen that in real time. That's one of the clearest handballs I think I've ever seen. Maybe he was unsided, I don't know, but they got the decision right at the ends. Interesting that man Draca James took that penalty. Normally in football teams, if a guy has scored a penalty, the next time a penalty is awarded for his team, he takes it. He's on pens. He scored the last one Ramy Nazerene scored against Adelaide back in round six, but Man Draca James said afterwards that because James was on the pitch during that time, that James is the penalty taker. But at one Nill ahead of Adelaide.
Speaker 4: He wanted to give.
Speaker 2: Ramy Nazerene a bit of a confidence boost, a first goal for the club. He's a striker, Nazerene, so he gave that spot. Keck up yesterday with the score at one all, he thought this was a little bit more important. I'm going to take responsibility, interesting little dynamic that I thought.
Speaker 3: Really interesting and really really unselfish, and consider it from James. But he'll be the penalty taker. I mean, I really like the look of that penalty. That's that's a penalty. That's a no start, a step, none of that crap. Just pick your spot, hit it well, hit it hard, hit it in the corner. I mean, that's how you take a penalty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, no doubt about it. And shortly after that, back on the other end and Corbyn Piper plays one across the box and Carlo Armiento excellent again, scored and made it three to one. From there, the Phoenix managed the game pretty well. I mean, the Mariners are pretty limited. I have to say. They didn't really, as I said before, present a huge threat to the goal of Amon McCarran. And look, I think the you know, the result was the right one. I think the Phoenix managed it out pretty well. You wrote a piece ahead of this game, and I'm going to read from this as well, talking about a crucial six game stretch for Giancloataliano.
Speaker 4: And you're right.
Speaker 2: After Sunday so match against Central Coast which looms as I must win. Well, they've ticked that box.
Speaker 4: You're right.
Speaker 2: They have one of the toughest stretches of their season, with the way matches against the Melbourne Victory, Brisbane Raw, Sydney FC and Newcastle Jets, along with another visit from Adelaide United is chief. He still under pressure. This win alleviates the pressure, of course it does, but with a stretch like that coming up, he's still got to keep on collecting points, doesn't he or his team does.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean he's got to show that they've got they've got more more to give and their progressing, because that was the issue. It's not just about the points, it's about where they were going, and no one could really see where they were going. It just looked like they were going. They were going downwards. There'll be underdogs for all four of those away games, I would think, and even Adelaide it was a really good win against Adelaide a few weeks ago, but Adelaide was strangely off color when they came to Wellington or what happened there, So.
Speaker 4: They'll be better as well.
Speaker 3: So that that's a really tough fixture list, but I guess it's because they had a comparatively more straightforward run of games up till they haven't. There a lot of home games and a lot of games against teams in the bottom half of the table.
Speaker 2: And they'll take a lift from yesterday, won't they. It was obvious, wasn't it. I Mean, it's just it's absolutely stating the obvious. But a win does massive things, not just to a team, but to the crowd, those on the bench, everybody associated with a football club. And I think scoring first does that too, doesn't it. You know, just getting a lead and then getting a win and everything. You know, you wake up here in Wellington this morning and the sun's just a little bit brighter. I don't know, it's just the tonic for everything is just winning football matches really well.
Speaker 3: You mentioned in training, you know this week they've all got to spring in their step and the laughing and the joking and the banter and that happens in any week because that's what sports people do. They move on, they're professional. But there's no doubt that when you win, it does change everything, changes everything for everyone involved with the club, everyone who follows the club. And that's why the run of games this season and the way they've just conceded early goals, crazy goals often conceded first in a game, has made it so hard for themselves. Now they've got a little they've got little, a little something to build on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've got to keep it going. They do.
Speaker 2: Marin's had the ball in the net early yesterday, didn't They talked off a handball in the area. But yeah, you're right. It just makes make such a difference. And yet they'll be they'll be, They'll be swaggering into work, not getting ahead of themselves. The same with the women's site. Imagine walking into training the day after a seven nil win. You'd be high fives and all sorts going on, wouldn't there. But yeah, the Phoenix, you're right. Both teams actually have to continue in the fashion that Aukland FC have done, really just consistently stacked wins on top of wins on top of wins and you know that is that is championship stuff. Ben Wayne won't be coming back to Wellington or to the A League Burge he was. It was a name on my laundry list that I that I read out a few weeks ago on the pod. As you understand, it will probably stay at Port Val. He starting to get games there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, probably will.
Speaker 3: And there was interest in him around that time you read out your your wish list.
Speaker 4: I know there was.
Speaker 3: I know there was interest and I know he was considering it. He was thinking, well, actually I'm not playing, maybe I should go back because that World Cup is looming, et cetera, et cetera. But he started to play at Port Vale. He's got a goal or two and that's where he wants to be. So it won't happen even though there was there was interest.
Speaker 2: All right. So there is still the chants for Wellington to make some moves. They've got Herdecki a Shiga of course out for the season, so they could if they wanted to bring somebody in in January and import and obviously look at other other players as well. Interesting I mentioned last week on the pot ISA Prince has moved to Auckland f C has been confirmed initially for the Oceania Pro League, but but Isopryns. I'm almost certain we'll integrate into the A League squad as well. We might even see him this season, who knows, but he's another one to look out for. The table is just so tight Perch. After nine rounds, Melbourne City and MacArthur play game tomorrow night, so that'll complete a complete set of nine matches, each one point from fourth to ninth, six teams that is within a point of each other, and nine teams separated by just four points from fourth down to last. I mean, Auckland FC and Sydney FC have cleared out a little bit, but it feels like everybody else, the other ten teams in the league. On their day, anyone can beat anyone. This feels like one of the tightest A League seasons we've ever seen. And it's in ten and to four does and go. But any of those ten could pretty much end up in the top six. With Auckland FC and Sydney FC.
Speaker 3: This is the perfect situation. This is why people enjoy the A League so much because it's generally quite you know, there's not these massive gaps or massive cohorts of teams top, middle and bottom. So long mate continue, you know it will eventually sort itself out. But the uncertainty is what we love, isn't it. The uncertainty where you don't really know what's going to happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's demonstrated perfectly over the weekend. Five of the six games and the A League mens this weekend, or in five of them, the team lower on the table beat the team higher on the table. The only exception was Auckland FC beating the Wanderers. So in all of the other five games, yes it's a tight table, but the team who started the game lower beat the team who started the game higher, So it just goes to show how tight it is. Sir Wellington off to Amy Park on Monday night to take on Melbourne victory. They haven't won there since twenty seventeen. That seems like an awfully long time ago to me, eight years since they've been to that patrograss and won a game. But there's no time like the present, as they say. Quick check on a couple of keys overseas. You mentioned Ben Wayne. Of course his Port Vale came up against Matt Garbet's Peterborough United, So KWV Kewe. In League One. Matt Garbet's Peterborough got the one nil win, but both of the two players started. Ryan Thomas scored on his birthday for Peckswaller, his first goal for anybody since twenty twenty one. I know he's been out with injury, but that's an incredibly long time since he last scored. And Tyler bind and I was so delighted to see this burge. He was out of the Sheffield United squad for ages. He didn't play between the thirtieth of August and the sixth of December. That's over three months without making the Sheffield United first team. He's come back and he's starting to impress. Got a goal and man of the match in a three nil win over Birmingham in the Championship. We've known the quality of Tyler Binden for a while, but I don't want to be sitting on the bench, you know, six months out from a World Cup.
Speaker 3: And to go to a you know, he went to Okay, it's a championship club, but it's a big chair chip club with a lot of a lot of pressure. And then what did they have to start the season? A run of I think it was five defeats or by a single goal, and the pressure just and he was playing in those games, the pressure just ramped up. And then new coach and he's not playing. So great resilience from a guy who's still He's still a kid, isn't he. We forget how young he still is because he's head all this time, reading and all the things he's done already in his career.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the FAUCT just reading a few fan comments after that game and they're very happy with Tyler Bind and now that he's back in the team, I think when he wasn't playing, a lot of people just forgot about him.
Speaker 4: Really.
Speaker 2: He might have even gone back to Forest if Sheffield United didn't want to play him and look for another loan move somewhere because you've got to be playing. But by the sounds of things, now he's back in A goal will boost his confidence. He's getting a lot of good raps from the fans. So yeah, well on to Tylerbind and it's good to see him back in the team and displaying the form we always knew that he had, all right, but I don't it's one of those times of the year. Well, that time of the year and we don't actually know what day is, which day is which I could say Saturday, I wouldn't be able to see what date that was, but I can tell you that Aukland FC on Saturday night play Sydney FC away, two nights later Wellington Phoenix are away at Melbourne Victory, and the following evening the Wellington Phoenix Women take on Western Sydney. That is the thirtieth of December. So well, it just remains for me to wish you and your family are very merry Christmas and look forward to a big twenty twenty six for football Fever and for the game of football in general.
Speaker 3: Thanks Pony, and same to you. I'm sure there'll be a lot going on in the Pine Household which will be a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: As always, absolutely, we'll catch you in twenty twenty six, folks, Little Fever
Speaker 3: M