Speaker 1: Life in the Export Beer Guns Studio and brought to you, as always by Export Ultra the bar for here. This is the Agenda Podcast for Angel Numbers, the eighth of the Eighth.
Speaker 2: The Agenda Podcast, the home of Sporting Nonsense and clap Trap, brought to you by Export Vulture.
Speaker 3: Men. Are we ruffling feathers with this greatest New Zealander thing?
Speaker 4: Wow?
Speaker 1: Yeah, stop saying you It's not me, it's us, it's we.
Speaker 3: No, I'm just gonna You're gonna paint it on you. It's like when you tried to pin the Edin Vanua Blake thing on me, and it was you.
Speaker 5: I said it was cowardly that they're leaving the dog behind. I didn't call him a coward.
Speaker 3: I said it was said that the act was cowardly. Yeah, and then you immediately pivoted to I said it wow, yeah, yeah yeah, and you know it. And again but this is again, this is the people. This is what the people are saying.
Speaker 1: And every single matchup that we put up so far has been met with so many comments of this should be the final.
Speaker 5: They can only be one final. This is that's definitely on a final. Susi Cato Jason gunners not a final.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so if you've just caught up, If you're just catching up, Sir Ed took out the first round against Sir Ernest Rutherford. The second round is now Susie Cato versus Jason Gunn.
Speaker 3: Yes, who have been voting on this overnight? Who's taken it out? Wow?
Speaker 1: This is this is the tough part. So here's a couple of messages from Facebook. Susie Cato for sure can't be the goat if you play second fiddle to Thingy on your own show.
Speaker 3: That's that's okay, pretty vicious.
Speaker 1: Another one here from Tony He's written when Thingy was interviewed a few years ago, he said he'd rather work with Susie Cato purely because she has smaller hands than Jason Gunn.
Speaker 5: Well, Jason Gunn came on, he piled in and said, a vote for me as a vote for Thingy. Yeah, he tried to sway it, that's right, and did it work. Well.
Speaker 1: Apparently Thinging himself is saying no. So we've had to collect the votes and we're voting across various different media, Facebook, Instagram posts, polls, all sorts on Instagram. Six hundred and sixty six votes cast, which is very very ominous. Fifty eight percent of those were in favor of Susie Cat okay. Similarly, on the Instagram story, this came down to the wire fifty one percent of the votes on that with for Susie Susie, but eighty two percent of the votes on Facebook overwhelmingly in favor of Jason Gunn, declaring your winner by split decision. Jason Gunn goes through to the second round.
Speaker 3: Wow, is it a platform issue here? Yeah, it could well be, like but they would be the same era, would they not? Yeah? They are pretty much.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, but for some reason Jason might be a bit earlier than Susie.
Speaker 1: Maybe yeah, and and also have had a wider ranging career.
Speaker 5: Well, this is another element to add to the Great New Zealanders in terms of people are going to get upset because of the different platforms, a different demographics on each platform.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is that is a big thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So there you guys said. Jason makes it through. Goodbye Susie.
Speaker 1: Goodbye Susie. So you see you later. It's time to say goodbye.
Speaker 3: I'm like we did. She's out of here.
Speaker 1: Jason Gunn goes through doing a bit of research yesterday came across a Havocan Newsboy story Jason's Tennyhouse.
Speaker 3: Jason's Tenney House.
Speaker 1: Yeah, bit of footage out of context, but yeah, I don't remember Susie Catto ever having a Tenny house, so I think that could have it could have played into it, but yeah, it was. It was Nick and Nick on Instagram, but just overwhelmingly in supportive Jason Gunn. And I think that a large part of that on Facebook is that he's the ringleader of his own of his own votes. He's been getting busy in the comments.
Speaker 5: Right, Susie Catto, I think just and nothing. We can't. We can't prevent that, can we. We're encouraging that. If you want to lobby for your own I think that's up to you.
Speaker 1: I'd like to encourage it, yeah, because you know, I'd love for I don't know, I was gonna say, John A. Lomho's dead, isn't he?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 3: But I'd love for some of these guys to get involved. And the we we couldn't.
Speaker 5: The first round was a bit hard me, you know, well Ernston and Edward, Yeah, yeah, that would have been about half theen them to weigh in, but their family could have come and waited in.
Speaker 3: That's what I say. We have another battle live now.
Speaker 1: It was still just churning through the first round and every single time we've put these up they said the same thing. This should be the final. This one is tough and it is Richie McCaw versus Dan Carter.
Speaker 5: There's going to be Have you seen the writing that's been going on in the UK? This is that's what's going to happen in christ Church. Yeah, it's going to tear the city. It's going to tear the city apart. They're two greatest sons. Yeah, have been pitted together in the first round. You were going to get a lot of heat for the seedings.
Speaker 3: Why me, because because you put the pictures on because you can't work photoshop. That's all that's happened to. Distance said, we voted this. How many times I have to say that it was a vote? Otherwise it would have just been you know what, I'm not gonna say, so we taking your votes on Richie vers Dan.
Speaker 1: I asked my missus about this. She said, that's a tough one. It's divided her. She's a Crusaders fan at heart.
Speaker 3: It's Richie. She said she's going with Richie and I was like, I agree. You didn't have a Richie mccaus scrapbook when you were a kid, made from photos that you found in the newspaper, but you did have one for Dan Carter, and so how can you She's like, yeah, sure, Dan's hotter than Richie, but who means more?
Speaker 1: Was the last time Dan Carter put a fire out in the porthills and a helicopter?
Speaker 3: So I think for me.
Speaker 1: Also, every World Cup that DC won, Ritchie was there for and captain.
Speaker 3: So I think it's going to be Richie. I think so.
Speaker 5: And I think it's unfair saying that rich that Dan's been looking than Richie. I mean different strokes, different folks. I think most strokes are going the same way you reckon. Yeah, I know, I don't know. He's a bit too pretty for me, Ella, Adam Dan or Richie? Who's hotter.
Speaker 3: Dan? Dan? Dan? I'm a Richie man. Yeah, okay, it's a bit more rugged.
Speaker 5: It's been more meat on the bone. Yeah, bones.
Speaker 3: Bones. I think the undimodeling career is probably you know.
Speaker 5: They put me off a clue, Yeah, they put me off. No, you see I like I like a humble man, right, humble man.
Speaker 3: We're not talking about humility, We're talking about who's more attractive.
Speaker 5: But I think humility is as an attractive.
Speaker 3: For me. I'm trying to sway with votes in the way of Dan Carter.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's going to happen, but yeah, you can have your say on various ways Instagram, Facebook, I today, would it change if we put it on TikTok. I don't think anyone on TikTok would have even known who Susi Cato or Jason Gunn were with there.
Speaker 5: No, I don't know they weren't, not unless they popped off on TikTok recently, because you even you know, so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's absolute mayhem.
Speaker 1: And these in these brackets the full ones up on the what's on Instagram, but it's also on the website if you want again have a look at the upcoming ones if you're going to start crafting a case ahead of time. I agree that there have been a lot of people that have been left out of this, and again I think it's just through voter apathy. For me, Richard Pierce was really hard done by not to make this. Yeah, if you don't know who Richard Pierce is, first off, fuck you. Second of all, he is the He is the first man ever to invent powered flight. And when I was explaining this again to my long suffering partners, she said, weren't there two of them?
Speaker 3: Then his brother did it as well. I was like, you're thinking of the right brothers.
Speaker 1: Now they did it over in the States, and they did it two weeks after Richard Pierce did it. But because news takes two weeks back in the day to get anywhere.
Speaker 3: They thought they did it first. Plus is the better story if they did it?
Speaker 5: Yeah, wow, it's a weird story. Now it's a weird, bitter story now for people down south.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well Richard Pierce from tomorrow, I think Jerordine. But yeah, the Richard Pierce taven still gone down there. He's in the South Canibury Museum, the South Canbery Hall of Fame, Richard Piers. So yeah, hard done by, you know, because every day we benefit from powered flight. But yeah, not to be so at rages on the Greatest New Zealander Debate. You can go on there and have your say right now, start a heated conflict in the comments.
Speaker 3: Go go at someone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you see a comment that you disagree with, click on that person's profile, find out something quite personal about them, and then tear them to shreds in the comments.
Speaker 3: I think that's the only way we're going to settle this debate. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, I mean, and remain anonymous as well. That's the that's what you do online. You know, no one's going to come after you.
Speaker 3: No, I'm saying come after them. For no one's going to come after you.
Speaker 5: If I go on there and come after then cart No, it's really going to come after me out there.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's what I'm saying. Yeah, let me explain this again.
Speaker 1: If you see a comment from at Mike Lane, click on his profile, find something deeply personal about him, go back to the comment, and write that underneath the thing. Correct, anonymous, start wars in the it's not anonymous.
Speaker 5: Your name is on the thing. Now, that's not really I find anything that's written online anonymous unless you say it to my face, it's anonymous.
Speaker 3: I don't care. Oh right, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Like it's say just Keebod Warringah Okay, Well I'm saying.
Speaker 5: If you watch read any of the comments post hand job gate. You know, if I took that to heart, I wouldn't be here.
Speaker 1: But yeah, so just go at each other, go for each other's throats in the comments. I'd love to see it. Ritchie first, dands up right now, We're going to take a quick break. There is plenty of Olympics action to go through right after this break.
Speaker 3: Overnight.
Speaker 1: Charlie's Angel's reaction at the pole vault. Eliza McCartney, Olivia McTaggart, Imagen Eiras all in action.
Speaker 3: Best of them.
Speaker 1: Eliza McCartney she finished sixth. She failed at four point eight meters. Olivia McTaggart finished thirteenth. She failed at four point seven, as did Imagen Eiras, who finished twelfth. Imagen came in ranked thirty second in the world, so she was the lowest ranked competitor in that thing.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 5: Did you see the qualifying though, they it was a bit of a shambles because they were supposed to get down to twelve yet there was a bunch of people who had jumped the same height, yes, and then they basically it came down to whoever had the least amount of fails, which ended up being nineteen people. So instead of the standard twelve going through the final. Nineteen people made the final, including the two kiwis who thought they'd been knocked out. They were like, oh, we're gone. When I did the count back and they're.
Speaker 3: Like, everybody's in.
Speaker 5: Everybody's in the final, Come on, everybody.
Speaker 3: There's so many of those little weird quirks. Yeah, and so.
Speaker 5: That's why in the final took like two and a half three hours, which normally doesn't take that Obviously that long, yeah, and so and then they got to compete in their final.
Speaker 3: But that was a bit.
Speaker 5: It was a bit strange when there was nineteen finalists.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was full on.
Speaker 1: I have some questions about the pole vault. The first is how do you figure out that you're any good at it? Like what do you start with? Did you start with a broomstick and you're just jumping around the lounge.
Speaker 5: I saw I read something around the fact that you've got to have the speed and strength of a sprinter, the flexibility of a gymnast.
Speaker 3: But no one has all that when they start, and the strength is something else.
Speaker 5: But I suppose you're looking for an all around athlete, if you're if you're an athletics club, which probably.
Speaker 3: These these young women were.
Speaker 5: They were like they're powerful and fast and quite kind of athletic and gymnastic. Like, have you thought about giving a polevoar to go? That's as far as it goes. I reckon no, But what does the first attempt look like?
Speaker 3: Because you don't go from not being able to do it to being able to do it in the first go.
Speaker 5: I'm sure there's baby steps. I'm sure there's like broomsticks you're doing on his shit? Okay, yeah, yeah, I'm sure it's that way, but I don't It's one of those things that it's not available to you at school.
Speaker 3: So I've never even seen.
Speaker 1: A pole vault, Like what is the hole that they put the pole into look like?
Speaker 3: I've never even seen them.
Speaker 5: I can imagine when you're first starting it is not the pole doesn't bend that much. It's almost like you just stick it and just fly over the stick. Broomstick jumping over a fence. Yeah, I don't think it takes a while for that for the length. When once it gets high enough you get the boying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can fly over the thing. What's it? Supplementary question? Do you take your own stick? Yes? You think you do.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, one hundred percent. You take your own stick. I think, how do you get around the country with your bloody stick? Checking that and over the oversize that would stack? Well, I think you probably hit the road, wouldn't you international would it even fit in a bus?
Speaker 1: And then tertiary question, you're on a do you need different sticks as the hike gets higher?
Speaker 5: No, they're all the same size. At a certain level, they're the same size. So I think you can know you can actually choose. They were talking about this on the commentary because they had the same questions as you did, not about how to start, but they what are the poles made of? The like carbon fiber so they can bend enough but not snap. Yeah, and there's another type you can use, and you can use any size you want.
Speaker 1: Apparently, Oh really, but I guess it's a certain link that becomes too hard to get up.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you bend over and you're left standing on the track with a bendie pole.
Speaker 3: Yeah, torsioned up, ready to spring.
Speaker 1: Yeah okay, so yeah, so there's a natural limit to It's like a golf tee at a certain height, it's actually not.
Speaker 3: Helping you anymore. But I did run of that. I was just like, as they go higher, do they like I've got to pull out the old five.
Speaker 5: Meters, the old old, the big dog, pull out the odd six.
Speaker 1: But then I wonder if there is a chance that someone could come in, you know, an athlete that just happened to be say seven odd feet tall, and she was just like, I can actually man the tallest thick I think it.
Speaker 3: I think size.
Speaker 5: Also, you don't want to put be too big because then you need a biggest stack returns.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Adam, I do have some facts.
Speaker 5: Yeah, pole links vary between three meters five and can go all the way up to five meters thirty, which is high.
Speaker 3: Yeah, than they were jumping.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this is across men and women, because the dudes were jumping five and a half gonna.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, there is a point of diminishing returns because I thought, you know, most sports, they end up the same body type of Eliza McCartney's quite taller, a lot taller.
Speaker 3: Than the other two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, huge fan of Olivia McTaggart with the Dwight Howard sleeves on.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I like enjoying the sleeve and prime twenty ten Dwight Howard.
Speaker 3: I thought that was great.
Speaker 1: I've been saying this whole Olympics, we've got the best kit, and that looks sick. I think she was the only one who had those sleeves on. They look meat going up there slinging yourself over that thing. So yeah, I guess at a certain point it becomes about how hard you can fling yourself into the ear on that thing.
Speaker 3: And the sleeve's a warmth thin. I don't know that.
Speaker 1: They're a big thing in basketball, and I've never no one's ever been able to explain to me. I've had some dudes be like, oh, well, it's electic acid that's building up in your and your and what is the what are the sleeves compression to?
Speaker 3: I just push it back out of your arms. I don't know. All I know she looks sick in those things.
Speaker 1: They look badass, and she's running in there with those and just flinging herself over what's what was the tar all over their hands?
Speaker 5: Oh right, Yeah, so that's you're allowed to spray your hands with some sticky shit, you know, like to gloves, so and it just helps you.
Speaker 3: Grip the grip the pole. I guess.
Speaker 5: So they've got that sticky airs, shit all over their hands. It just looks like tar. Yeah, pretty much is they.
Speaker 3: Dip their hands in tar? But yeah, I thought there was.
Speaker 1: They gave a great account of the nation there in that Pole World Final. Liza McCartney finished sixth, the neath twelfth. The gut in the boat want her heat as well. Basically the same with like I was saying about Emma Twig. You can't let Lisa Carrington off the bus or you've lost your race. You can't let her out of the parking lot, because as soon as she's on that in that boat, it's over. She from the first pedal stroke, I guess, is in front and she never gets overtaken from there.
Speaker 5: Come on the K two and the K four kayak they have the skirts, you know, the skirts that go over, but a lot of the K ones they don't have anything. Yeah they have no skirt. But Lisa had a skirt for her K one.
Speaker 3: Yes, some of them didn't. Yeah, and they had the knees gun.
Speaker 5: Is that maybe it's a wash thing. Maybe on the fours, this is so much fucking wash spraying everywhere that you eventually fill the boat.
Speaker 1: That'll be it. Yeah, because there's yeah, if you got the goat in the boat in front of you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and she's absolutely yeah, Yeah, you're in the back. You got like ten liters of water.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can turn in again tomorrow to two guys try and figure out the Olympics as well.
Speaker 3: She'll be back in the boat waiting. Yeah, how the fuck does the javelin work well? Tory Peters and I've been saying this for the last two weeks. I don't think I've cried this much. And since I was a toddler, I reckon.
Speaker 1: Since I was a baby, Tory Peters is out there throwing javelin around in the in the field. She didn't quite make the qualifying mark, which was like sixty odd meters, and then after that you go to your distance.
Speaker 3: She was like talking about.
Speaker 1: How you know, she come from Gore and she never thought she'd make it to the Olympics, and she did it for the little girl growing up in Gore.
Speaker 3: And I'm sitting on the catch. I felt that way this whole Olympics.
Speaker 1: I was crying watching Emma twig Row, not even like her talking about the journey just as she's doing it.
Speaker 3: It was when I watched those two women quit brand to Bean's yelder. So yeah, she gave a great account of herself as well.
Speaker 1: She didn't quite qualify she It was such a heartbreaking interview too, because the interviewed as soon as she'd thrown it and she knew she wasn't going to make the final, but I hadn't been confirmed. She was like, I don't think that's good enough to make the final, and then she started crying.
Speaker 3: Them you'll make the final. She didn't. Hamish curR is through to Sunday's final, though, did you watch him last night? Was terrifying. It was terrified. It was terrifying.
Speaker 5: It was a height which he basically walked over all season and he failed twice and it almost didn't make it through.
Speaker 1: After he failed the second time, he then started pacing out his run up, so he obviously got his link wrong and I was like, he's done.
Speaker 3: He's done. There's no way you don't.
Speaker 1: You don't go from missing twice to then checking like that's what you start doing when you think you're about to lose.
Speaker 5: I really hope he wins because the two other favorites, the Italian and the Guitari deck, like, I just think they are the nuts they're the guys who shared the gold medal in Tokyo, and they walk round like massive cocks. And I want Hamish cur to walk in with a bigger one, slap it over that high jump and when the gold, because it'll make me feel he looks like a much better winner than those two. Oh those two. One of those two went. I can't stand it.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 3: I know there are some real and there are some real punishes in all of these events, and most often it's the Americans, But in the high jump yesterday, it was the Jamaican dude. He had a headband, he had.
Speaker 1: Glasses, he had three gold chains, he had three different risks adornments, one of them will watch. His shoes are of coarse fluorescent green and orange. And then he had some dangly shit around his legs as well. I was just like, fuck, I hope you lose because of that thing around your ankles. Did he nah in the final A mate it? Yeah? I think he might be in the final year. Well, it was funny when when old Amsku, when he got over, he got he.
Speaker 5: Cleared it by miles and he could see the relief. He was like one of them. He whacked off of the back of his shoulders. He just just cooked it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: The commentator was absolutely giving it to him as well on that first one, I know, and I was like, oh god, oh God, oh god.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought I thought he was going to do it as well. But in Middle News last night, a silver for New Zealand. It was a pursuit team pursuit, was it?
Speaker 3: Yep?
Speaker 1: The four of them, Ali Williston, Branny Both, Emily Sherman and Nicole Shieltz.
Speaker 5: This is a great story. This is a great story. I've done some research on this around this quad, this team and how they got here. Okay, so so this is a good story. By the way, they first met when they all flattered together at Wakeeta University in Hamilton, said Ali Williston, Briani both as you said, Emily Sherman and the Cole Shields. They had a full bedroom flat in the suburb of Hillcrest, which is quite close to the university in Hamilton, and to save money on taxis into town, into Hood Street, et cetera, where all the bars are, they purchased two tandem bikes and the idea being on a night out two of them would would be sober riders and would ride the other and the other two would get on the drink and then they'd teened them home again. So after eight months of living together out in Hillcrest, they started to record the times of them going from their flat into Hood Street. Yeah, and they left flat was on Night and Road in Hillcrest, and they'd gone to Hood Street, home of the outback and the bank, et cetera. A two point eight kilometer trip, so it's not long. So initially the ride would take them fifteen to twenty minutes. A crossing the river, Yeah, a crossing the river, crossing the Anzac Bridge, So they go down Knight and Road, they'd go right onto Clyde Street for a quick left right and over Anzac Bridge, then a right up Victoria and a quick left in the Hood. If you know Hamilton, you know exactly what I'm talking about. So with two tandem bikes, the bikes became more and more. Bike rides became more and more competitive between the two two flatmates. So it was Ali and Emily on one bike and n Cole and Briny on the other.
Speaker 3: So that's that's how it worked.
Speaker 5: And get this, so the fastest recorded time they clocked after twelve months remember it started to ten like fifteen to twenty minutes. After twelve months of doing this they got it down to six minutes over how long did you say two point o k two point eight case several corners in a bridge. They did say it was very traffic dependent with various lights and roundabouts and Ali Wilston Ali Wilson stated the best time was recorded at three am as there was simply no traffic. However, visibility and the impairment of your partner were challenging, was the quote. So after two years of this, the Flatmates Society actually had potential when it came to cycling and they dropped the late night tandem escapades and got into road cycling and then into the Valodrome. And they still live together in Cambridge, which is the home of the high performance New Zealand cycling program with the Valodrome out there.
Speaker 3: So what a fat story? Yeah, grassroots, I hope it's true.
Speaker 1: Also, God, how good would it be to be the one who was just allowed to get blacked out?
Speaker 5: They said they had took to they took tunes. Yeah, they took tns. So it wasn't always the same sober driver.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's your turn to be at the front of the tandems.
Speaker 5: And yeah yeah, and you at the back, Yeah, got how cast That's what I'm surprised the fastest one was three am, because surely the people on the back one were like, I don't know, like.
Speaker 1: When you're wasted, you can walk really fast, you know, without being too worried about it.
Speaker 3: How does that work with cycling?
Speaker 5: I know that you can actually be done drunk cycling in charge of a cycle, I think you can, But what if you're a tandem What if you're on the back. I mean, so always be sobing drone riding on bikes, but if you're steering at the front.
Speaker 1: I think because it's initially I was like, well, yeah, it's just like sitting passenger in a car, but it's different because from passenger would be very tough to crash a car, but if you're on the back of a tandem bike, you could definitely crash that bike if you're wasted.
Speaker 3: Ye.
Speaker 1: I remember growing up people would always say you should ride your horse home from the pub because it's got a mind of its own, so you can't be done diic because they would have to breathalyze the horses to see if it was drunk or not.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I think that's bullshit.
Speaker 1: I do know that of a person who may or may not be related to me, who lived in Australia and in the town they were and they were building a railway that went behind the pub, local pub, and they scrapped the railway halfway through it, so they were left with this big, long, flat bit of land. He lived on a big station just out of Billow Wheeler there, allegedly reportedly, and would fly to the pub and land on the flat but out the back sink Purcell day flies plane back home because how the hell is a cop going to pull you over in the sky?
Speaker 3: That's true. Yeah, Now I don't know whether that's true or not. Wow, why wouldn't you out back?
Speaker 5: There's different rules And now I'm sure the helicopter's been flying around the outback Willie.
Speaker 3: Nelly, Yeah wasted so.
Speaker 1: Allegedly that person was my uncle. But I don't know whether that's true or not. That that's just one of those you to fly with. It goes around the family. I didn't, but I did go and see his hangar.
Speaker 3: Good call. The planes exist. I'd stay away, I'd walk but that's really interesting about our four girls there. Yeah, looking further afield.
Speaker 5: I don't know where I got that from. By the way, I just I just searched, just a next door.
Speaker 3: Each and that's what came up. Investigative, So you do your own research journalism. Australian hockey player Tom Craig has apologized after being arrested for trying to buy cocaine in Paris, just days after the team's Olympic campaign came to an end.
Speaker 1: He escaped with a warning from police, and then released an official apology. I'd firstly like to apologize for what's occurred in the last twenty four hours. I made a terrible mistake. I take full responsibility for my actions. My actions are my own and in no way reflect the values my family, my teammates, my friends, my sport, the Australian Olympic team.
Speaker 3: I've embarrassed you all. I'm truly sorry all time. Apology.
Speaker 5: He's taken it on the chin. Yeah, what is it with Paris and getting busted the cocaine? Obviously, Ali Williams at the same situation, they obviously set stings up the police.
Speaker 1: That might be it, and let's go and be ready to go that. Yeah, we were there for a week and never got off it at once.
Speaker 5: We're hanging around like bad smells. Sure, we were sitting duck.
Speaker 3: We were very clear marks if you were going to try and string us. And what I loved about this was one of the Australian news outlets posted the story and it was on Facebook and I clicked on the comments.
Speaker 1: Sure enough, first comment from a woman who's generally first named Karen. He shouldn't have done it in the first place. That way he wouldn't have felt embarrassed or had to apologize. Thanks, thank you for that one.
Speaker 3: Karen's care. I don't think he's disgraced his country at all.
Speaker 5: He's look that he I'd say that he has just been hung out to dry. There is a lot of athletes, oh and.
Speaker 3: Also beyond the nosebiers.
Speaker 1: Who around the world has had their opinion of Australia changed by this story.
Speaker 3: Australia anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, their Olympic athletes did, and they went to Paris in the prime of their lives. The five kilometer races were going on last night as well overnight, and two of the heats had some of the wildest interactions that I've seen at the Olympics so far. So in the first heat, a cameraman who was filming something else walked into the middle of the track, so he was standing there. You know, there's like ten lanes. He would have been in about lane five. But in the five k, they're all running together on the inside of the track. He's filming like that way. Then he gets a shot. Whatever turns just starts walking, walks straight into the middle of the pack. Of all of these things, no one fell over, but everyone had to like sidestep each other. A couple of guys had to almost stop so like he could have potentially robed people of qualifying times.
Speaker 3: We're doing that, which is some dumb shait. This is how dudes get hit by javelins.
Speaker 1: Then in the second one, the second head of the five k, there was a four man pile up.
Speaker 3: I saw that.
Speaker 1: I saw the pile up. Yeah, so someone got their league's clip. They went down.
Speaker 3: Three of them were in one thing, and then another guy wasn't watching. He couldn't avoid it. And then four man pile up.
Speaker 1: So the five k, he would have thought that that was the most disastrous thing. And then finally Cuban super heavyweight Greco Roman wrestler Mijen Lopez is the first athlete ever to claim five successive Olympic gold medals in an individual event superheavyweight.
Speaker 3: Here's one hundred and thirty kilo. Have you seen him?
Speaker 5: Yeah, he could come again next in the next Olympics. And I think when he looks like the most dangerous individual I've seen.
Speaker 1: He looks exactly how you would think the super heavyweight Greco Roman wrestling. Yeah, his head comes straight off the top of his shoulders, no.
Speaker 3: Neck, no ears are all mushed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, is a mutilated He speaks with a quite clear lisp. Despite the fact I can't understand his language. He has a very clear lisp. And he is just just like the thickest limbs that you've ever seen in your life. Forty one years old and all he's done his entire life has wrestled. They showed his home and I think, is he Cuban And it was a pretty modest home with just four gold medals just on the wall of his mum's house. Yeah, you're right, he could probably do it again. But I just thought it was interesting that that sport Greco Roman wrestling has been around for two and a half thousand years. There has probably never existed a man that could beat him at it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'd say so, he looks terrifying.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Also, this morning the under forty nine kg women's weightless.
Speaker 3: Oh they got into action or have they finished? They may well have finished by now. And look, hold on, I may have.
Speaker 5: Betten off more than I can chew because these were women were like little pocket battleships. When they came out, I was like, this can't be the under forty nine. And then the commentator goes, this is the under forty nine and I'm like, oh shit, oh shit. They were snatching eighty eighty eight ninety kgs the yeah, And I didn't quite check out the clean and jerk that was next, that was coming up next. It might maybe it might be tomorrow, okay, but it was definitely the snatch this morning.
Speaker 3: And there's some units. Man. They came out and they was so rapped. I was like, okay, yeah, okay, I think so.
Speaker 1: The the thing came from could you beat an Olympic athlete?
Speaker 3: Did anything?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And so we immediately went to who's the smallest athlete and what do they do? And it was women's weightlifting at forty nine kilograms, and so then we looked at the Olympic record, which is ninety four and one hundred and sixteen from the snatch and.
Speaker 3: The cleaner jerk. But obviously we you don't have to be the beat the world record. No, I just want to beat the last place, the last.
Speaker 1: Place, who apparently at Tokyo was sixty nine kilos for the snatch. For the snatch, and I'm looking at the weights so far they have settled, but I can't find exactly what it is. They've only got the combined weights, which the lightest one is La Gatau from Guam. She lifted one hundred and thirty six kilograms total. Okay, total, so half that you're looking at about sixty something.
Speaker 3: But usually left more in the cleaning gyp you do.
Speaker 1: So the snatch will probably be I mean you're still around the sixty kilo mark, maybe fifty something.
Speaker 5: Okay, Look yeah, look, I'm not confident having seen these athletes and seeing their routine where the coach slaps their face about and they go on stage and.
Speaker 3: I'll do I'll do that for you. I'll talk up my heads and slapt the shit out of here. I'm sure it helps.
Speaker 1: If it helps, I'll be willing to do it, all right, So we will take this offline, we'll find out exactly what that number is, and then we're going to take this across the road in the gym if anyone out there owns runs works out a gym that we could do this at, because.
Speaker 3: I don't want to do it at there, pretty pretty gym. You're getting no every time I walk in there, I'm so acutely aware of how ugly i am. I'm the ugliest person in that room. Every time I walk in there. I tell you what, Go to the sauna and you'll be loved. Oh, here we go. I've got the Okay, I've got them.
Speaker 1: The snatch was fifty nine kilo's The cleaning jerk was seventy seven.
Speaker 5: Okay, oh yeah, seventy seven.
Speaker 1: I don't think like this isn't a strength thing Like The Snatch is quite a unique movie.
Speaker 3: I know, I'm I'm not snatching shit.
Speaker 1: Do you think that you could clean and jerk what she snatched? So fifty nine? Okay to your shoulder and then above your head. I reckon that, I reckon that's the challenge there okay, yep, all right, we'll right, we'll right, We'll go and find ourselves a gym.
Speaker 3: We'll film this.
Speaker 5: Look, I mean like I did some squats this morning with my twenty kg dumbell, so I'm pretty I'm pretty good.
Speaker 3: Two of them.
Speaker 1: That's forty so you only need another nineteen kilos and then put it above your head.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's above the head. It's going to be an issue. I can see a disloc added elbow. I hope rememb when Laurel Hubbard did that in the Fung Games. Yeah, that's going to be me.
Speaker 1: All right, keep an eye out for that video. I reckon, we're going film that once tomorrow. Let's take one more quick break and we'll come back with yours please.
Speaker 2: Yours please, brought to you by leader home of the la.
Speaker 1: Somewhere in the neighborhood of five of them to get through today, first call it yours please?
Speaker 6: All right, Lad's so forget trying to beat Paralympics or forty nine kg weightlifters. If you remember, in the two thousand Sydney Olympics, Eric the Eel Muslimbarni swim by himself. Richie will hardly swim one minute fifty two for one hundred meters, So give that a crack. Surely, surely you can get under that.
Speaker 5: So I don't know, not a fight, Why don't need it? That was the stat's two links. I could do two links. I could probably finish it better than he did because he almost looked like he was going to drown.
Speaker 3: He did look like he's going to drown you.
Speaker 5: But we're talking about this games. We can't talk about past games.
Speaker 3: We'd love to.
Speaker 1: Bring up the pass, but you know, we've got to stick with just two minutes.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I don't think I could fifty meters a long poll. Yeah, but I reckon if you've just been slim and steady, that was better than him. Yeah, true, he didn't.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you could almost breaststroke it faster or doggy doggy pedaler. Yeah, well he almost was doggy pedaling a Yeah, he had no idea.
Speaker 1: I think we talked about it. You stayed on the podcast, so didn't recognize the gun when it went off? U.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe I could. I can't remember the last time I swam an anger.
Speaker 5: Do you want to give it a go? You do that, I'll do the weightlifting.
Speaker 1: I feel like it's kind of mean because it's like twenty four years ago that he.
Speaker 3: Did that and now we're dredging it back up again.
Speaker 5: If I beat him and it'll be all right man, that's not at least with just DM and send it to Yeah.
Speaker 1: Over, I smeshed your record from twenty four years ago. I'll give it a try. Another call here yours please?
Speaker 5: Well, I was just.
Speaker 7: Wondering if you could explain to me why it's Great Britain at the olymp Person not England.
Speaker 5: But do they just get to pick.
Speaker 7: And choose when they want to be Great Britain and when they want to be England, Wales, Ireland and that kind of stuff?
Speaker 3: Yes, fuck Aukland.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well I mean as a as a country, England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland are one country. Yeah, those same laws, same texas, the same currency. They are one country, Great Britain, but.
Speaker 3: They do themselves out by sport.
Speaker 5: Yeah, for sports and for Conwealth games and stuff, it's Scotland Commonwealth makes sense, yeah yeah, and you know when it comes to rugby and stuff, they split themselves out, but they have the Lions. But that includes Ireland as well, which makes it even wetter but yeah, they are just one country.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, so great Britain.
Speaker 1: So yeah, when I first went over there, I thought I'd have to have my passport ready when I went into Wales.
Speaker 5: I've done that. I've done that, Geg. We used to take trips over to Millennium Stadium in Cardiff all the time, and there's that bridge you go over. Yeah, I get on the microphone and go read room. We're just just about to meet the border of Wales. You're gonna get your passports ready and you can see the whole bus go.
Speaker 3: You didn't tell me to bring my passport and they'll start betting that. I just getting the same Geg every time. Yeah, I genuinely thought that.
Speaker 1: But I will say, conspiracy theory of mind, we should become a state of Australia and thereby getting a cut off all of the mining money to come over here.
Speaker 3: That'd be great. They would come into the South Island mind that shit out of the West Coast ye Southland.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they'll come and frack the shit out of our South Island and probably didn't run away with all the money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but then for sporting purposes, we do like Scotland and Wales and we remain yeah, independent for that purpose, just.
Speaker 3: Purely commercially for economics, yes, yeah, we'll take your money.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and their interest rates are only like four a half percent.
Speaker 3: See that's what I'm talking about. Ridiculous, reparicalous. But we were saying this the other day.
Speaker 1: We're now done for the per capita medals because of Dominica and Saint Lucia and Saint Lucia who for all other sports that you follow, probably compete as the West Indies.
Speaker 3: And by all other sports, I mean one sport, cricket.
Speaker 5: But there's no other there's no other sports.
Speaker 3: They compete as the West But yeah.
Speaker 1: Like we would be ahead of the West Indies per caveident, but they've decided that they're going to compete under their own flog. Why do they play as the West Indies Because Guyana couldn't put together its own team right.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, I think it individually is Jamaica and Barbados and Antigua, Like I don't think they'd have it, not strong enough.
Speaker 3: You don't think Turks and Caicos could field a team.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so Trinidad and Tobago kind of thing I don't. Yeah, that's that's why I mean, trust me, it's not harmonious. There is all sorts of political issues within West Indies. Yeah, you know between the Jamaicans and Barbados is always but a niggle. So that's not all. It's not all happy light, sunshine and noses.
Speaker 3: But I do think for our per capita and interests we should roll them back together and then that would bump us up.
Speaker 5: And everyone has a British passport. Everyone has a British passport in those countries, Wales, Scotland, everyone, So it's it's one country.
Speaker 3: I thought you've been in the fucking caraban.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, I'm just talking about going back to the question. Yea, all right, another call here yours spose.
Speaker 8: Kilda with the whole world competing at the Olympics at the moment, you know, I got bloody Kazakhstan, Ligtenstein, even North Korea's Yeah. Does that sort of mean that the Vatican can qualify as well because our country? If so, what sport do you think the Pope would do pretty well in? Anyway? Have a bloody good one.
Speaker 3: The Chadams, your Dams, buckle yourself, and for this I've done some research. Chair buck off.
Speaker 1: The Vatican has never competed in the Olympics before. They don't even have like an Olympic committee at the Vatican. They did send a cyclist to the World Champs in like twenty twenty two or twenty twenty three.
Speaker 5: But you've got to know, if you've been to the Vatican, it's basically a church. It's a church surrounded by a bunch of Swiss guards dressed like clowns. It's tiny, It's like one square kilometer or something. Yeah, I don't think it's producing many Well.
Speaker 3: Where would you exercise for start. I think it's producing many people. Little.
Speaker 5: It's just there for to protect the pope. Yeah, no, one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: But back in the day when it was part of the Holy Roman Empire, they did build a chariot track, oh on what is now the Vatican City it was, and they did chariot track racing there, known as the Circus of Nero, and a few of the popes did partake in the chariot racing. So I think we said yesterday we should bring chariot racing back to the Olympics, And I think if we did that then we could probably coax one of the popes into the chariot's there. You'd be a brave man to take out the pope on his chariot. Yeah, I reckon chariot racing. If they had to do anything, He's not gonna get on the pole volt is it?
Speaker 3: You know? No, I don't think so he needs.
Speaker 5: He's more a standing up kind of moving guy, like he's in the popemobile.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: If we brought motor games into the Olympics, I think we've got a couple more hair yours please.
Speaker 9: Gooday boys, that's Chris p Cock here. Hey, I in regards to the canoe guys and the Olympics, I've seen a really scathing headline from Radio New Zealand and it made me think as actual sports journalism more ruthless than adjacent sports journalism, which put more fun, loving and caring anyway.
Speaker 5: Who Yeah, I saw them cop a bit of shit yesterday from like non sporting people and it was getting a little bit out of control because it.
Speaker 1: Was They went to Ian Ferguson yeah and asked him and he said.
Speaker 3: It's put a dent in the silver food fuck off.
Speaker 5: I know, any And then there was but then they rang a few of the new Zealand kayak people and they're like, look, this has been done by other nations for the previous Olympics. These guys who had done the opposite herre not qualified for the canoe, but have been good as a guy from Canada, right, and they went the back door and did the kayaking and he got a place in the canoe and won bronze.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so everyone's been doing it.
Speaker 5: It's like it's a means to an end and they're in the semi final and the k FO both good on them.
Speaker 3: Also, what's more key with than just showing up and having a crack?
Speaker 5: And also do you not think that they felt slightly stink coming over the line a minute later than everyone else, Like the pylon from non sporting people yesterday was just out of control, which proves your point.
Speaker 1: Yes, the mainstream sports media are way harsher on our athletes, then we the alternate sports media are well.
Speaker 5: And also there is no sports student. It's hardly left anyway.
Speaker 3: No, there's not. They are dying brew.
Speaker 1: But even when I worked in the mainstream sports media, we'll put an interview out as a podcast, and if I put a positive title on that podcast, it would get x amount of downloads. If I put a negative one, it would get like three four times as many downloads. Ye, people the same piece of audio people love. So when people say, man, the sports media are so negative in here, it's like, that's what you want.
Speaker 3: To listen to. There's a certain portion of the population you just want to listen to that kind of thing.
Speaker 5: They should they I think those those boys should be the flag bearers on the closing.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, one hundred percent. What they did for the country was going over and above.
Speaker 3: Totally because they would have hated that. Yeah, they're athletes, they're competitive.
Speaker 5: They were like fuck And even the guy from I think Kayaking US only goes, see he was on an interview and he goes, if you tried that, he goes, I've tried it a couple of times. I fell out of the boat twice. I couldn't even get it going straight. Yeah, so that's how hard it is. You can see them when they were coming over. They both had the oars in the same side because I just trunk so hard not to go out of it.
Speaker 3: It's like when someone else is on a pedal board with you or wha the other man you want.
Speaker 1: To test your relationship, jump into two man pedal, bloody kayak thing and head out chasing out after a turtle you saw out the window your fucking hotel room. Some Yeah, because your pedal out there to find the turtle. But once you think she figures out it's not there, your peddling back. I think we've got one more here, yours please?
Speaker 4: Every day we're not hard work mah, dog in it around the city. Always have a big icy bottle of water. Some days can't drink it quick enough, can't mount quick enough, some days too quick, gets hot, doesn't get drunk either way. Icy water out of a bottle goes good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 5: I mean that's referencing back to our water drinking segment. How you drink water? I think the question and then there's water any good?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: If you get a physical job, I think yeah, definitely the ice water, it's it's elite.
Speaker 5: Did you used to have the water bottle like an empty coke bottle foot with water?
Speaker 3: Put it in the freezer? Yeah, I dared to work. Yeah, I'll do that.
Speaker 1: I did that when I first started working over in Australia, I was working out in cal Glouley and I was like, oh, yeah, I'll freeze the water so when it's forty degrees out there, And I was like, by the time the sun had been up for three minutes, it was boiled water.
Speaker 5: Before your head. It was all the condensation on the outside. Yeah, what was.
Speaker 1: The point of that? But yeah, no, I completely agree with that ice water brilliant. All Right, We're not this thing on the head. We'll be back tomorrow. We're got a double banger ACC Sports book we'll be out tomorrow, as well as another episode of the Gender Podcast.
Speaker 3: We'll see then.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to The ACC's a gender podcast brought to you by Export Ultra. For more episodes, like and follow on iHeartRadio you'll get your podcast o