Speaker 1: You're listening to the Weekend Collective podcast from News Talks EDB debating all the issues and more. It's the panel on the Weekend Collective on News Talks dB.
Speaker 2: The man with.
Speaker 3: The Man you sign.
Speaker 4: Not man, as the song says, come and get your love. This is the Weekend Collective. I'm Tion Beeverage. Welcome to the show at seven minutes past three on the what is it the fifteenth journe already looking forward to your company over the next three hours. Up in a moment, I will be introducing my wonderful panelist. I always love introducing our panelists. I don't know why it is, but it is always always a thrill just to work with such quality people. The one Roof radio show is at four o'clock and we're going to be having a chat about, well, there's this bit of a slump going on that some people well nobody saw it coming. People pretend they did, but nobody really makes predictions bad. We're a bit of a slump. Who's to blame? And also a holiday homes a risky investment, among other things. And that will be at four o'clock with our guest who's joining us as Helen O'Sullivan from Velocity, and then we have the parents Squad, where Google Sutherland from Umbrella Well Being joins us. We're going to have a chat about stress and anxiety and is it just part of growing up as a child and how much do parents need to worry about it if your child is anxious? All that and more will be taking your calls between foreign z X and O eight hundred and eight, ten and eighty Welcome to Texture feedback anytime, but right now it is time to introduce my panelists. By the way, we'll also be looking with our sports Sports Connection just before the end of the show at the semi finals with the Hurricanes and Chiefs. But anyway, it's time to introduce my panelists. And the first one he is. He is the Silver Fox himself. He's a man of many hats. As you know, he's been a journalist, a career of fencer. I wanted to throw in there that had been an erotic dancer, but I couldn't find anything to back it up. But quite frankly, there's nothing that he can't do. And it's Mark Kreisel. Good day, Mark, how are you going?
Speaker 2: We'll just push I'm more of a neurotic dancer.
Speaker 4: Okay, well close just so quickly. It sounds exciting anyway. And my next panelist is editor of the New Zealand's most well known gardening magazine, New Zealand Gardener. And when she's not with us, you can catch her in a happy place pulling out weeds. And it's Joe McCarroll. High Joe.
Speaker 3: In my happiest place, there would be no weeds.
Speaker 4: That's a good point.
Speaker 3: It would be done. All the weeding would be done.
Speaker 4: Now, do you do you have any fancy devices?
Speaker 3: I saw at the knee washy right hand knee washe because I'm right handed?
Speaker 1: Nee?
Speaker 3: What knee washy little Japanese weading tool recommend If you haven't got.
Speaker 4: One, you just stick it and twist it and pull it out.
Speaker 3: It's like that sort of yeah, but it's sort is you get under get the whole root ball out of the weeds.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, because I've had a few things throw up in my in my Twitter feed or something, this advert for this stick your stick in the ground and it seems to pull up these weeds with very large roots. Anyway, that's them commercial mark, you pass on any of that.
Speaker 2: I'm just riding as fast as furiously as I can. You're the man you seem to be going on.
Speaker 4: Of course, you know, we know what's we have a rough idea what's going on at tv INS or do we have a rough idea what's going on to T means yet? But you I guess at some stage at least you can take that bucket list of what it's like to be on gardening leave a life goal for me being on gardening leave.
Speaker 2: Do you know?
Speaker 3: Actually interesting backstory. Before I started editing New Zealand Gardener, I was put on Gardening Leaf. Why because another magazine? Yeah, and so when I resigned from that mag they said you don't have to okay you noticed, you can go on gardening leave and I thought, well that's good because I'm going to edit New Zealand Gardener.
Speaker 4: Wow three months how appropriate? Hey, so what is going on? So what happened is.
Speaker 2: I mean it's out in the public now. I guess they can talk about it. That there was a TV and Z failed to comply with a clause in our collective, which meant that they were meant to consult with us as we went through our you know, the process of losing our jobs, and the Employment Relations Authority and the Employment Court found that that didn't happen, and they ordered TV and Z to comply, which meant we were no longer dismissed, which means we basically start all over again. So we're going through meetings and consulting on how we might be able to help the companies.
Speaker 4: Say, are you going to meetings or just going to your local going to meetings?
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I'm doing the meetings. We're going through the whole process, and then that could go for a number of weeks, could go.
Speaker 4: For a very stressful time. But may I say, you are looking somehow, You're looking just relaxed. And he's looking good, doesn't need Joe. Yeah, and you're looking fantastic too. Oh what a good look your hairstyle. I mean, like it's only radio unfortunately, so these comics are wasted in the audience. Yeah, no, I feeling good.
Speaker 2: I mean it's a it's a weird place to be and it's a weird kind of limbo. And I really miss being a storyteller and telling stories. I have to say that that's a bit tough for me. But you know, we'll just go through the stage and see what comes next. Yep, you never know, never know what's around there, and just open up the text line. If anybody's got any jobs, yeah, text nineteen nine two. If you've got a job for Mark as actually career, yes, oh.
Speaker 4: Eurotic anything that ends in tick. Hey, look, let's get onto the let's get onto the topics for today. Now, all speed limit reductions introduced since twenty twenty on local streets and outside schools are likely to be scrapped or well, I think there's going to be a few changes. I wasn't this one that there might even be speeds of one hundred and twenty kilometers an hour introduced on roads of national significance. So anyway, what do you make of this? We'll go with you first, Mark.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know, mate. I think the thing is at lower speeds means fewer people die. I mean, that's why they came in in the first place. I used to live in Germany and on the auto barns there are some stretches of water barn there is no speed limit. Now you can drive as fast as you like, which is amazing if you've got those amazing cars that they have, until you have an accident and then you pretty much die. So every time the speed limit goes up, more people die in accidents.
Speaker 4: So I think there's got to be a happy meeting, though, doesn't there because, for instance, who drives thirty kilometers an hour around Auckland, CBD unless the traffic is demanding that. I had a police officer pass me not flat lights flashing. I was going about forty probably and he was definitely doing fifty. I was like, these speed limits, some of them are they are nonsense, something they don't even think.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 3: Around where I live, the speed limits were brought down, and I've got to say I'm really pro that because people used to use the street that we live on as a little you know, shortcut from one main street to another and come down it way too fast. And I've seen numerous times people have come a cropper, you know what.
Speaker 4: Speed were they've been doing that or they exceeding in the normal limit anyone.
Speaker 3: They would have been doing sort of sixty seventy along a little suburban street. And they've brought it down and now they go slower, and I'm quite pro. I mean, I'm not a fan of pointless speed limits that achieve nothing, but I don't understand how you can just increase the road. You can just increase the speed limit without changing the road in any way, and consider that.
Speaker 4: Is well, I mean it's putting it back to what it was before. So the road was if you've had a fifty K limit or one hundred K limit that and it's gone down it was one hundred k, you know what I mean. They haven't popped it up, except for obviously these new roads where like the expressways, where they think, well, actually this road's built for hundred and twenty K.
Speaker 2: If it's one hundred, and you know it's normally if it's one hundred, people go one hundred and ten. If it's fifty, they do sixty. I mean, that's just the reality of it, and people try, you know, take their chances there.
Speaker 4: I'm with Joe. Our street.
Speaker 2: We get people whipping down there at fifty k's, we've got kids walking across the street. We've got all that kind of thing drives me nuts.
Speaker 4: I mean, mid way, what's the limit on your road anyway?
Speaker 2: Will it be around thirty or forty? I would imagine it's a in an Auckland street.
Speaker 4: And it's only CBD. I think that's down to thirty. I think you probably find the limit is fifty. Probably.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's too fast. That is way too fast in our street. And also I see the ministers saying things like which I think is absolute nonsense. We'll ask the public if they think that's a reasonable speed. Well, that's just ridiculous. I mean, people want to go faster all the time. It doesn't you know, all New Zealanders think they're good drives.
Speaker 4: I don't know if it will might say public and you have a conservative approach to it.
Speaker 2: But not a speed little They're there for a good reason, yeah, but I'm not sure the engineering reason.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think, well, the engineering of the roads. For instance, say okay, let's put the engineering of the some of those new roads is one hundred and twenty.
Speaker 3: Then we should be signed.
Speaker 4: But we should be okay with one hundred and twenty, then should we?
Speaker 3: Well, I think when you've got a road that is designed for a higher speed, I don't have a problem with the highest speed. I think if everyone could travel safely. But the speeds that you're saying, Tim, that we're going back to, they were just applied in the most random ad hoc fashion. Back in the day people were putting one hundred. Yeah, that looks about one hundred, you know, that looks about.
Speaker 4: I think don't know if they were totally phillo ste it was like all stayed highways were one hundred.
Speaker 3: And I think roads do not allow that. They do not allow you to travel at one hundred safely. And I also think, and I know people get so hot under the collar about not being able to drive as fast as they want the whole time. But I mean, if you go eighty or if you go one hundred, the difference it makes in your journey of most the average time of a journey, which is not more than an hour, I'd say it's.
Speaker 4: Much eighty to me feels pretty pedestrian. To be honest, I'm all in favor of it. I think I think you could see that now that I am. I mean, for instance, I mean, I agree, slow down outside schools, but when they say the speed limit outside of school at ten o'clock at night, there's got to be thirty kilometers an hour, it's sort of like, well, that does it just seems that there's room for a happy medium, and he wants to protect well yea, as I say, of course, you're not going to have it. You don't more people die if the speed limits are higher. Are you happy with that? Well, I think that life is risky anyway. If you want, you are happy. If you want to follow that argument, Mark, then everyone should drive fifty kilometers an hour on the open road. Good luck driving faster than that in Auckland anyway. No, no, no, But I mean if you want to take that argument, then you can argue for just repressing us. Also, whether we're trying to remove all the risk of life, I think that there is. We're ignoring the fact that one of the major causes of deaths on the road is drug driving, drink driving and getting known at speed and get off that bloody phone. I think if you want to say, let's find people a thousand bucks from being caught on their phone, I'm fine with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm fine with that too. But speed is definitely one of those factors as well.
Speaker 3: I think it's a combination of speed, road design out the old age of our fleet of cars. But also I would say New Zealanders are often incredibly aggressive drivers. That makes it more dangerous for everyone.
Speaker 4: Well, you could argue before we move on, you could argue that not that that having these having slightly overly conservative limits leads to frustration in its own way. Maybe I don't know. Look, look enforce the limits. Get on. I think when you get overtaken by someone on the on there on the inside, on one of your things, bicycle.
Speaker 3: I'd like to say I couldn't agree with you. More about the phone thing, I'd like to see the minute you call on your phone, your phone is confiscated.
Speaker 4: Yeah, your car is confiscated.
Speaker 3: Yes, make me prime minister now in New Zealand.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, speaking of consequences for things, Maureen Pew the allegia assault during that anti mining protest in Tarcica. So she turned up for a community board meeting. It sounds like quite a benign sort of thing anyway, there are a lot of protesters there, so we've thrown this one as an extra bit. She was pushed by a man, physically accosted her, pushed a placard into her chest, and I guess the question is she was technically assaulted. It seems to me that with the posey Parker sort of thing, and we've seen it going back in time, dildo's being thrown mud and all that sort of stuff. I actually think that when it comes to public public meetings and politicians, I think that if you apply even a minor assault, charged them because I think that getting to the stage ye where people feel that there's no consequence. And we had a seventy year old one year old woman violently assaulted and he got discharged with that conviction. They should have charged this guy because more MP and anyone like her Green National whatever party, they should be able to attend meetings and not have dickheads making life unpleasant.
Speaker 3: And I actually think, I know a lot of people will say, oh, you know, alleged assault, you know, and I actually think that sounds really quite frightening.
Speaker 4: Would have you seen the video of it? No, I've only seen footage of it to her cut same thing. No, sorry, I mean sorry, no photos.
Speaker 2: Yes, so her car was surrounded by a whole lot of people, and I think she would have felt really threatened and frightened. There she's Intarctica, that's a Green stronghold anyways, she's outside of safety zone.
Speaker 4: So I think, yeah, definitely, I will.
Speaker 3: It's not a political issue. I think we are so lucky that our politicians can still come in front us and come to community meetings and meet directly with the public. That is an incredibly valuable thing. And I don't want to see us in a situation where they just stay in their office and you know, put up the odd Facebook live. We're losing something if that happens. I agree with you, Tim, I think this is something that should be taken incredibly seriously because of where it was happening.
Speaker 4: Actually, funny thing is, isn't it. I love that the reporting of it seemed to say it was pushed with a placardist I was just a bit of cardboard. Take that placard away, that man has placed his hands on her and pushed her, and I'm thinking, actually, funny thing is it's almost like the placard was made. It not so bad. I'm sorry. I think the police made a mistake charge and let the judge deal with it. Let the judge let him off. I guess.
Speaker 3: Take it as as seriously as it should be taken.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 2: I think things have got have got out of hand quite a bit. You know after COVID there were the threats of course to the Prome Minister just into adourn at the time, James Shaw was punched in the face, literally punched in the face, just.
Speaker 4: Walking to work. And do we know what happened with that? I can't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the guy was charged and got pretty sure he was convicted. I and then a wet bus ticket naughty to do it again? Yeah, but you know that was that was an actual literally in your face as sold. So I think the whole public discourse is getting angrier and angrier. People under stress, there's a recession on. People have feel poorer and are really struggling, and this is what you start to see when these things happen. Also, I think this government has changed so many things, and particularly people in a green area would feel particularly agreed. They always feel like they're fighting to save the will. I'm not saying it's okay. I'm not saying it's okay, but I'm just saying this is the environment.
Speaker 3: I would say it's an immensely stressful environment that people are operating in right now, but people have operated in far more stressful environments. That is not acceptable behavior. I think we are seeing a breakdown in simply a social contract.
Speaker 2: I was thinking that there's been so many things over the years. There's COVID and and then there's been the you know, the weather events, and now we're in a recession and people are losing their jobs. That these things just get layered on top of each other to a point where people are starting to break and we're starting to see real breakdown in civil discorsis can I.
Speaker 3: Really challenge that. I think humanity has been through far more stressful events and numerous stressful events at the same time, and people have responded to it by supporting each other and rallying together. And I think it is it is depressing that we say, oh, well, people are under all this stress. I understand, well, yes.
Speaker 2: And no Joe, but also you know, I mean if you look at moments in history, you know, particularly you think around the thirties in Europe when there were big depressions and recessions and the rise in political movements and fighting in the streets and things that came out of that as well, it is something that happens when people feel under stress. I'm not excusing it, yeah, I'm just saying these these are the right lie. I think what's happened though, I think that what we're seeing within the judiciary and within the police is just this level of permissiveness, where the signal overall to people is that there aren't any real consequences. There's no one going, oh my god, mate, don't do that, because if you do that, you know you're.
Speaker 4: Going to an obvious ridiculous It is a silly comparison because you always look at different countries, but you can imagine the things that you would not get away with. And let's say Singapore as a people who would do this here. Can you imagine them going, oh, go and protest that way in Singapore and said, oh no, don't do that, because why won't you do it? Because there will be consequences here, feather duster, that's about it. You fair, fair enough? Has this guy been charged? No, you got a warning, just a little don't do it again, mate. That's not good, not good form from the police. A wet bus ticket. There we go anyway, lock them up? Hey, actually tell you what. We will take a break now. I think it's twenty four past three news talks sai'd be. We're going to be coming back next couple of topics. Oh, by the way, if you in the break people, if you want to just go and check out the footage of the guying the pitch invader being taste in Cincinnati. Have a good laugh, and then we'll talk about that. Coming back in just a moment this news talks. He'll be twenty four past three. Welcome back to the Weekend Collective. I'm Tim Beveridge, my guests Mark Kreisel and Joe McCarroll. This Western Peter's no, Joe's playing that song. Yeah, and I have to say that song is linked to our next story. But actually I'm not sure he did get back up again straight away. But there's I've shown everyone in the newsroom has seen this, and hopefully you have been the break as well. But baseball spectators in Cincinnati witnessed a scene where a Reds fan, having eluded we'd, gone up and danced around with one of the center fielder. Then he did a backflip while he's been chased by as a police officer or security guy. Anyway, he got away and he got tased, and I've pulled the newsroom and I'll give you the results of that newsroom with all the people here. But I thought it was brilliant tase them. Job done. It'll stop them idiots distracting everyone. What do you think, Mark, chrysl Yes.
Speaker 2: I'll actually grudgingly give them this, I think. Yeah, taser stop them in the in their tracks, yea, and move on. Have you seen the footage of the game, Yes, I.
Speaker 4: Have, Joe.
Speaker 3: What do you think, Well, I mean, I don't actually know what being tasered is, like myst surprised you to know. But if it is still if it is just not that bad. But I mean, the thing is, maybe you could say a little bit of a disproportionate response to this teenager, but at the running onto the field, it's a real dumb ass thing to do. I think, you know, it's stupid. It's not fair to the athletes who are playing the game. And I'd say, you know, if you didn't have quite immediate severe consequences, you'll get a lot of people wanting to do it, to put it on their Instagram.
Speaker 4: Here's the thing. Look, I think that it's also a risk these days. They say to the athletes, and sometimes your athletes who take them out with a tackle and they're in trouble and all that sort of stuff. It is one. It's a deterrent, which I think we probably need. But here's the quick, tricky question for you. If it had been, say, a female streaker, who I must say, I do think that we'd be a little bit more. In fact, it was a guy doing backflips who ran away. But I have to say that sensibility of me would feel less comfortable with seeing a woman tasted and just being honest. And you tell me off for that now, Joe.
Speaker 3: No, I no, I get what you're saying. I mean, I think you know that was a teenage boy.
Speaker 4: I think, ah, well, I looked about twenty or something.
Speaker 3: The kid on the field. I mean, you don't want to see anyone hurt. That's what I meant about is if is tasering, it's not going to have any serious consequences for him. I don't think.
Speaker 2: Are fine if the game's boring, though, that's the thing you almost.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's funny. You can always have someone who's in charge and going okay, guys security boring if somebody streaks led them away with it, and then you go okay, games rocking and rolling tasers on guys. So if you get it wrong, do you get it wrong? If the game's boring, you get away with it because everyone's dying for some entertainment. But if it's in the middle of the final of the Blues versus whoever. Then, lucky he wasn't in Texas.
Speaker 2: You probably would have got a bullet through the head or something.
Speaker 4: I mean, you're not the first. So I pulled the newsroom. Okay, not a single person against it. I'd seen one person ambivalent and everyone else was like, yep, tasm. Should we bring it to New Zealand. Then let's tase pitch invaders.
Speaker 3: Joe, look again, I need to know more about Taser's volunteering for something. I don't want to see anyone get hurt, you know, I don't. I think that's an absolute disproportionate response. But at the same time, I think that is a really annoying and stupid thing to do, and people should be dissuaded from doing it.
Speaker 2: I think it's fair to say it hurts getting taste. Not that I've been tasted, but I can imagine it hurts. Like how Actually I wonderful.
Speaker 4: It makes me wonder because I was thinking, how it can we demonstrate that with you? Now, Joe would be to go get the defib.
Speaker 3: Cattle prop coming back after the break, go back after the break.
Speaker 4: We're gonna well, maybe not Joe love. That sounds like it might be a health and safety issue. Anyway, Hey, anyway, go and check it out. It's quite It is funny if you want to laugh when he hits it is and you hear the guys who are like here he goes.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 4: Anyway, there we go. Right, Okay, Look these new laws to allow Australian workers to ignore calls outside workouts. Should New Zealand adopt the same rules. So it's about this right to disconnect. And look, it doesn't seem to me. I almost wondered, do we need a law like that? I would have thought that in New Zealand your home time, you need your home time.
Speaker 2: You may need some protections if you decide, you know, I don't you know, I'm not contactable outside of certain certain times, so you may need some protections in the law. I mean, I personally, I hate taking doing anything to do with work once I get home. I can say that now because I'm on guardening leaf. But you know, generally, but people who rang me after ring me after a certain time, I would never pick up. I wouldn't even really reply to emails or texts.
Speaker 4: As home workers work, I might be being naive. But I think that a text or something, if somebody from work has texted me or cause, I know it'll be for a good reason. Yeah, it has to be important. And if it was just because, how can you do that? I'd be I'd just say, look, when I'm out of the office and out of the office, what would your start speak to it? Jo? Do we need a rule like this?
Speaker 3: I think it's a pretty I think legislation is a pretty blunt tool to use in a situation which is so nuanced, so in the weeds. I mean, I don't think everyone is lucky enough to be able to decide to ignore calls. You know, not everyone is in that position. Some people you feel their job was at risk if they ignored that, Well.
Speaker 4: That's where the protection of the law would come. And I would imagine it does feel like a heavy instrument, would it be, But you.
Speaker 2: Know, the employers would have more power in this situation. It would be a way of protecting the workers. I would imagine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I'm saying you're protecting I mean, I take what you're saying, Mark, but you're protecting a vulnerable workforce who then would have to pursue the protection of the law.
Speaker 4: It just seems very calm. It seems that it would make workplace relations very complex. I'm sure you should be able to work the stuff out with your employer, shouldn't you, for instance.
Speaker 2: Well as someone who's in the middle of something. Sometimes it takes a while to.
Speaker 4: Get to that point. Yeah, but no, I think that. I just think that legislating bluntly for something like this it makes it difficult.
Speaker 3: Have another piece of legislation that I wish to pass under my new regime of prime ministership. I would like people not to be able to contact you on a range of different platforms.
Speaker 2: Ah, that's a good one, because you know, you.
Speaker 3: And Mark, I'm sure all of you. You get messages, and you might get a text, and you might get a WhatsApp, and you might get a message on Facebook Messenger, and you might get a message on LinkedIn, and so you've just got too many platforms. And I like a lot of work correspondence in all these different ways. So it's very very hard to keep track off.
Speaker 2: Actually, just that is quite a good point, Actually very good point, because actually people don't get to switch off if you choose to go back online.
Speaker 4: But you know, whether we like it or not.
Speaker 2: We're looking at our phones all the time, and that takes a toll that's not good for you. My solution would be that if somebody rings you or texts you outside work hours, that you can taser them.
Speaker 4: No, I just but you can all think of occupations where that just wouldn't work. If you were, okay, a lawyer or something. You've got a big case coming up in the morning and your boss has to say, Loosten, this has just come up. I need to give you a heads up for tomorrow. Broadcasting, you know, and radio all the time, you know, there might be there might be something. We're dealing with live news events all the time. The ability to imagine if I just said on I'm out, I'm not I'm not taking any calls. I just guess it's all about having a good relationship with your employer, and it's when you don't that this sort of stuff comes.
Speaker 3: Into Surely this is a right not to be harassed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I would have thought we have that right.
Speaker 3: You know, if your employer is contacting you out of ours and giving you you know, and hounding you, I feel like that could currently be dealt with by the employment court. Already.
Speaker 4: I feel like this is legislation that does Maybe maybe it's quite it's interesting, maybe it's quite bad in Australia. I don't know. It's good.
Speaker 2: It's a good conversation to have though, because you don't think about it. Then it can just creep into your life and before you're wondering why you exhausted all the time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, that's an interesting it's it's a difficult one because you can imagine times when they'd be like, you know what, you've left work, that's it, you're out. But yeah, surely we can work this out without having to legislate for all.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: An, So I've always had a job. You know, there's give and take, but I'm lucky to have that. You know, I don't mind doing something in the evening, sometimes at the weekend sometimes because I know this flexibility at other times.
Speaker 2: But there are plenty of people who don't, particularly in this economy at the moment, you know, there are people losing jobs. People are desperate to hang on to them. So it does make work is a lot more vulnerable than they would have been in the past. Your line about tasings reminded me somehow of the mighty Python cheese sketch and your substitute the words shoot for taste. Well, I'm sorry, Butham, have to tas you now over the end of the cheese sketch.
Speaker 4: You don't know that one. No, he goes into the cheese shop. He says, you've got any camem beer? No, not today? So any lists for a million cheeses? And he goes, what about cheddar? He goes, no, just just run out of that and have you any cheese in the shop at all?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: Well, I'm sorry, I'm going to have to shoot you right, oh sir. And that's how they finished the sketch. There's just a bit of mighty Python trivia for you. Obviously we've listened to far too much. When as a teenager it is twenty two minutes to four news talks, he'd be that really. Welcome back to the Weekend Collective. I'm Tim Beverage. My guests are Joe McCarroll and Mark Kreisel. And look, guys, just getting onto the AI side of things. Apple brings chat GPT to Siri. Is it so it's debuting Apple Intelligence AI sort of being attached to your I don't know, I'm I think AI is amazing, But what do you think of? What do you think of? I mean I'm anti Apple as well, by the way, I think it's the death star of technology because once you're in, you can't get out. Not cool, No, I'm certainly not. Yeah, But anyway, Apple Intelligence. Do you love what it's going to be able to do for your iPhone? Mark? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean I think we need to relax a bit about AI. I think we're all getting a little bit hit up and worried about it, and I think it's actually going to be a tool for quite good. I mean, I'm hearing lots of bad things and good things, and I'm thinking I'm just going to take I'm going to be relaxed about it, and if I don't like what AI is doing, then I'll taser it.
Speaker 4: Okay, thank you, Mark. We can see a thing developing in your conversation, Joe, what do you reckon?
Speaker 3: Look, I think there's an opportunity for Apple here. I mean, I think they've taken a position on privacy, and I think they have a real track record of taking something that someone else has developed, polishing up the user experience a bit, and then katching you know, what I mean. So, I think a lot of people would like the tools that AI can offer you without the privacy exposure that a tool like chat Chi or whatever the Google one's called expose you to. So I think it's an opportunity. I think I sort of view AI a bit like I view Google, because I'm like, I use that every day, all day, use it constantly, you know, use the search whatever search engineer use. It's just a tool, and I imagine we'll be using it a lot. But anyone who says they work less now than.
Speaker 4: It's unavoidable AI really isn't it. And there's what's it going to be. It's going to be called what it's Apple Intelligence. It's a deal with chat GPT. I just interesting. Do you trust AI in terms of if you were going to give it a job to do or something to write? I I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: I've used it a couple of times and sum up something. It's actually been hilarious, just when I was struggling for something. It's just been ludicrous of what it's come up with. So it hasn't really worked for me. But I know people who are using it all the time and it works well for them, works in terms of summarizing thing.
Speaker 3: In certain contexts.
Speaker 2: I heard something the other day about chat g GPT, which I'm dying to try, is that if you go and you open your fridge and you say I've got only these ingredients in my fridge, what can I make?
Speaker 4: It'll come up with loads of recipes. Well, yeah, apparently that works really well. My producers telling me that works well, he's used that, he's used it. I think I've got that's not bad. I used it to put together a writer for my concert to take to the States, and I passed my own eye of a law degree and everything, but I ran some clauses past it and said what do you reckon of these? And it came up with a suggestion which was actually I thought, God, that's brilliant, and it'll get better to I know, this is a start.
Speaker 2: An HR person told me the other day that she's noticing that people are doing their performance reviews with AI because the language is slightly it's not quite human and a little bit stilted and hmm, yeah, I used to just put North American sayings in my Do you think TV.
Speaker 4: And Z used AI to sort out its points?
Speaker 3: Some actual I.
Speaker 4: Actually because Elon Musk has threatened to ban iPhones and Max at his company. So he's if the iPhone maker, basically, if the iPhone maker goes ahead with its AI plans announced on Monday, he's he's going to I think any visitor to to his company is going to have to stick their phone into a Faraday cage or something. He was talking about. Anyway, he's he says, He says, uh, basically isolates sort of radio signals and all that sort of stuff. Apple has no clue what's going on, he says, once the hand over your data to open AI. I think he's playing a pr game here too.
Speaker 3: Sounds like sour grapes frankly. I mean the last thing he wants is for Apple to own the AI space.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's a it's a pitch battle at the moment, isn't it between all those big tech guy.
Speaker 4: I think if you're going into a into a commercially sense sort of environment, though, I'd be like, leave your phone at the door, thanks very much, no matter what it is. But you'll be doing that anyway. Yeah. Probably. There is an interesting fun side topic to this. So Elon Musk has just had his The shareholders have approved his salary, his remuneration packets. Sorry, let's put it that way. Fifty six billion dollars. Whoa, and here's us going on? Fifty millions is too much? Fifty six billion dollars. The shareholders have approved it. For the Tesla shareholders have approved it.
Speaker 2: They had two goes at that, didn't they because they got turned down the first time.
Speaker 4: I did a little calculation, because I think sometimes people don't get how much a billion dollars is.
Speaker 3: I tried to negotiate that payment for us for the hour of radio.
Speaker 4: Well, you know what, I worked it out. We've divided it by three hundred and sixty five, right, and then we've divided it by eight. And we were saying, so, without thinking too hard, how much do you think if we were paying you the equivalent for this hour of radio? How much would you get?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Probably what I'm worth ten.
Speaker 4: Thirty million dollars for one hour, for an hour, unless I've got a few years dollars. Yeah, thirty million dollars fifty million New Zealand. Yeah, that's a lot. That's a lot of one.
Speaker 3: I would take calls after hours, the phone's ring.
Speaker 4: I'm getting thirty million dollars an hour.
Speaker 2: You only have to do an hour and you're sweet, Well, you don't need anymore thirty million?
Speaker 4: Have you? By the way, somebody struck Powerball again? Just by the way on Wednesday? Yeah, I saw that.
Speaker 3: Would you be disappointed if you won power Ball and it was four million having missed out on thirty million?
Speaker 4: No, no, no, I'd take it. Still be great, I'd take it. Be a hard heart to be yeah, yeah, I'd be disappointed if accidentally ten people had won the same thing or something. It'd be like, what's the chances? But yeah, I'll take the four million anyway. Look, we'll be back in just a moment. News Talk said it is twelve minutes.
Speaker 2: To four.
Speaker 4: If you.
Speaker 2: In the time the.
Speaker 4: Lot and welcome back to the Weekend Collective. Tim Beverbridge, my guest, Joe McCarroll and Mark Kreisel. Guys, what did you think of the story? A couple who were put they both need special assistance and they were put on the wrong plane. They had booked flights from Bristol to Barcelona in Spain and it ended up in Lithuania and they did their boarding passes were checked multiple times, but the era wasn't spotted.
Speaker 3: Do you know what I think is the most unbelievable thing, Having traveled on Ryan Air quite a bit. The seats were free, that's true, the seat How were the seats free? Like Ryanair is books overbooked?
Speaker 4: Oh, I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's the planes are rammed.
Speaker 4: Well maybe people, I have no idea. But and and the fact that they managed maybe they had exactly the same seat numbers. But you know what, I think it does tell you that when the cabin crew are looking at your boarding passes, how closely are they really looking? Because that must be a mind numbing thing where you're just looking at boarding pass after boarding.
Speaker 2: Pass'd on the wrong plane before in I was living in Wellington and I was in Napier and the Auckland and Auckland and Wellington planes were basically on the tarmac at the same time, so they put you out. Yeah, I got on the Auckland plane when I was meant to be on the Wellington one, but they picked me up after I'd sat down.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 3: Someone told me once that in Austria there's a counter for people who thought they were flying to Australia. What Sorry, there's a counter at the airport. We think there's Austria.
Speaker 4: That's a great.
Speaker 3: So many people have flown to Austria. That's not getting on the wrong plane. Imagine they've booked their flights online.
Speaker 4: And they haven't stopped. Christian White four thousand bucks return or something.
Speaker 2: A different wardrobe, a different wardrobe.
Speaker 4: Mentioned that, seriously, could anyone possibly have done that? There'd be because you'd have a stop over somewhere for Austria. You'd be why are we stopping off and sing a porter go to Australia.
Speaker 3: I remember someone who was flying, because this has happened a few times, and I remember someone who said that that they were they didn't know why they were speaking in Spanish on the plane. But I thought, well, if you don't speak Spanish, you might not understand when they say, gosh, we hope you enjoy the beautiful floral festival in Madrid.
Speaker 4: Or of course I was thinking of people flying from Australia from New Zealand to Australia, but of course it'd be for people flying from.
Speaker 3: Within America.
Speaker 4: Austria where the kangaroos mate. Hey, by the way, she sooner, okay, definitely not in touch with the common man. He said that he had it tough when he was growing up, and he went without sky as a child.
Speaker 3: Didn't have Sky TV, didn't have any working class friends.
Speaker 4: He's just they're in trouble. His dad was a GP and his mam owned a pharmacy. Why didn't you just say, look, well, I came from an ordinary background, but my dad was a doctor in this and finished.
Speaker 3: She went to a very high end private school.
Speaker 2: Him and his wife are worth over a billion dollars if the family.
Speaker 3: But I mean, there is nothing like the self pity of the rich.
Speaker 2: The Tories are in real trouble. I see their third now in the latest theform Party has gone up to number two.
Speaker 4: Blimey. So they could be wiped out. Well I don't think they'd be wiped out, but I think they wonder if Boris is going I'll come back. They just waiting for me to return.
Speaker 3: I actually think that's quite a serious issue. I mean, I think the fact that you've got people in charge who are so not like the people who are a voting I think a democratic institution should look roughly like the population, and I think we should be proud in New Zealand that they are a bit more like the population. But in America, I don't think. I think this is the most private school educated members of cabinet who under rishisunac since Liz trusts as in those are the highest ever. I mean that's not that is not the British public, and I think that means they're passing legislation.
Speaker 4: They've got a class system.
Speaker 2: So look, this is a problem politics anyway, because I think that the people we are getting aren't really representative of our communities. They're often been in Koreas their whole life, and that's taste of them all. I just think if they've got good ideas, I don't care where they're from. But anyway, Hey, by the way, go get your your copy of New Zealand Gardener magazine. It's a lovely sort of lavender color with what's on the.
Speaker 3: Front there Salvi is We did the national salvia collection in Southland and I would say if you haven't to salvia in your garden you will want one after reading this amazing story.
Speaker 4: Excellent. Hey, thank you so much, Mark, lovely to see you. Is there any columns in there and Gardening leave? No, do you need one? Well? There we go. Well you can talk after talking the break about that. Hey, We'll be back shortly with the one roof radio show on tim Bebridge. It is now coming out to three minutes to four News Talk.
Speaker 1: For more from the weekend collective, listen live to News Talk zied B weekends from three pm, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio