Speaker 1: Kilda. I'm Chelsea Daniels and this is the Front Page, a daily podcast presented by the New Zealand Herald. Sending your DNA to a website to find out your background has become a trendy thing to do. But is there a hidden cost to this? DNA testing company twenty three and meters is in a financial crisis, raising questions about what will happen to the data it holds on fifteen million customers worldwide. New Zealanders are concerned their genetic information could be on sold and used for other purposes, including by insurance companies or law enforcement. Today on the Front Page, privacy lawyer Rich Shearer joins us to discuss can you tell us how these DNA services work? What does it entail?
Speaker 2: What happens is that you usually you spit in a little tube and you send it off to them, and then they run their DNA sequencing over it to extract the DNA sequence from it, and then they store that DNA sequence as data on their systems. I think sometimes they keep the sample itself, sometimes they get rid of it, depends whether they want to keep it for future use or whatever they want to do with it. But generally, it's that it's not so much the physical sample that I'm focused on, it's more the DNA sequence, the data that is generated from that and stored by that organization. What they then do is make it available to other organizations for those organizations to use. They would, in theory anonymize all of the DNA so that you have a DNA sequence that isn't necessarily labeled with Chelsea Daniels or Rick Scherer or anything else, and they put it together with thousands of others and provide that to a research organization or a drug company or something like that who might be using it to say, well, we want to assess whether we can detect certain sequences might give rise to certain characteristics of a person, and therefore we can design drugs, or we can predict disease and so on and so forth. So there's a lot of research that goes on around it. There's also been potential use by law enforcement agencies of some of this material, not necessarily because the organizations give it to law enforcement agencies voluntarily, but the law enforcement agency might come along, so, look, we understand that you've got DNA for a person, we're interested in them as potentially as a subject of an investigation, or indeed to match up against another person who's DNA. We have to determine whether, in fact that is the person that we're interested in. So there's a number of different uses which are being made at the moment of the sort of material.
Speaker 3: I did that too.
Speaker 4: I sent my spirit into one of those websites, and it turns out of sixteen percent Irish and ten percent Hungarian and the rest is Italian.
Speaker 3: That's me.
Speaker 4: I did it, and I found out, guys, I found out I'm seventy five percent French.
Speaker 2: I don't even speak French.
Speaker 3: Well, oh, I sent my name and I found out that I am, let's see here, ninety two percent dumbass for sending a DNA sample to a random website that now has full copyright and unregulated access to my genetic code for the rest of time.
Speaker 1: So we're talking about sites like ancestry dot com twenty three and MENI family Tree and that kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, that's right. And I mean, you know, there's a huge business worldwide obviously in genealogy, and this is part of that in some senses, because the business model for these organis these companies is get your information in and then they monetize it by making development of others at cost. You pay a little bit. I can't remember what people pay to actually do to give people these things, but it's not very much. And that's not where they make a lot of them. They make their money out of making it available to other organizations. But from the individual's point of view and giving it to these organizations, it's you know, obviously it's genealogy is really interesting. You know, you might find another family member, or you might find some characteristics of your DNA that you weren't aware of, so it's very interesting. I can well understand why people do it. That's why there are TV programs about people trying to find origins that they're always right.
Speaker 1: Quite highly Now, it seems like a fun thing to do. Hey, spit in a tube, send it off and find out a few weeks later you're sixty three percent Scottish. But when you send your DNA into one of these services, what kind of privacy laws are you rescinding?
Speaker 2: When you do this, you free to their terms of use and to their privacy policies. By and large, these organizations are based in the United States, and so whenever you agree to give any information to anybody, whether it's using Facebook or going online or whatever, you are saying, up to privacy policies, I guess that's the first gateway that you go through as the privacy policy. Then there are laws which might apply over and above the privacy policy in the particular jurisdiction or country where the organization is based. So in these instances you've got a privacy policy which we can read. Unfortunately, as a person who drafts these privacy policies, I have a great deal of sympathy for people who think they want to try and read them, because they're a good bedtime reading, but only for lawyers. So you know, reading thirty five pages of a privacy policy to try and discern exactly what the organization is going to do with my personal information is not something that I can recommend to anyone in their alone, non lawyers. So there's the privacy policy, then there might be the law in this case in the United States. Now, the United States, it's the name suggests, but we tend to forget, is made up of a lot of states. The United States doesn't have an overarching privacy a federal privacy law which applies across everybody in the United States states that have passed them. Each law is different, so some of them would have cover the certain aspects, others won't, depending on what the information has been collected, how many people they are collecting it from, and what they do with it. So it is a very much a patchwork of privacy protection. Obviously, as I said, you've got a privacy policy. The American way of doing privacy policies is very much you give us consent to do X, y Z with the information that you're giving to us. And so these policies do tend to say we can provide your personal information to other people for these purposes, research, et cetera. Because it becomes that that database of DNA becomes an asset of the organization. They've created the data out of your DNA. You have rights in respect of your DNA yourself, but the data, the DNA sequence that's created is not yours. It is data digital information, which is created by the organization, so they own that. And so the privacy policies will generally often say, look, in the event of a sale of our business, we can sell our assets, including that personal information you've given. Now there maybe some controls around that, not necessarily the level of control that you or I might want to have in respect of very personal information like DNA. Twenty three and meters on the verge of getting delisted now from the Nasdaq.
Speaker 3: Drama has been unfolding this week. It's only set to wrap up.
Speaker 4: Twenty three Meters built a multi billion dollar brand off of collecting people's spit. The idea was that people could take control of their health by learning about their genetics, and it took off. But just two years after going public, the company went from being valued at six billion dollars to treating below one dollar. Now, twenty three and Meter is rapidly approaching the November deadline to propose an action plan or be delisted from the Nasdaq.
Speaker 1: What are the concerns around twenty three and ME going under and what happens to the rights of the DNA records that they have on file.
Speaker 2: They haven't gone yet. They're in financial difficulty. Now there could be I guess two results of that or three results. I suppose they could come out of financial difficulty, they could get more investment, and suddenly they take off again, so that would be all good. They could decide, look, our shareholders are not putting any money more money into us. Our share price is going down as it is at the moment, and therefore, in order to act in the best interests of our shareholders, we should sell our business to someone else. In that business will include the assets, which will include the DNA data set, So that could be a scenario or of West Coast scenario. The company can't do that and it can no longer continue and it goes bankrupt, and a bankruptcy liquidator that would be in New Zealand that is appointed and they then sell the assets. Of course, at that stage all bets are off. They would sell to whoever they can get the best price for those assets, which could be anyone. So in any of those scenarios where the assets are sold, we don't have any control over who might be the purchaser of those assets in what they then might use stand information for whether they are bound by the privacy policy that is in place is questionable. In most privacy policies will say look, we can change this policy whenever we like by telling you, and if you don't want to use the service after that, then stop using it. But if you do continue to use it after we've notified you of the change, then you're bound by the new policy. So it could be that there's a change in that area. Some states in the United States might restrict that, but as I say, it's a bit patchwork in the US as to how that would apply. You know, West caase scenario. This information could end up with a company that wants to do something completely different with it, wants to target us for some sort of promotional material, you know West worst case scenario, it could end up in a jurisdiction it has no privacy protection whatsoever. You know, it is a great concent and I've always said it's a great consent to give these organizations DNA material because you never quite know what's going to happen to it. I think the real difference I see with DNA compared perhaps some other personal information that we might give is if you give someone your credit card number or your driver's license or whatever, it can be highly damaging for that material to get into the wrong hands, whether it's through a cybersecurity breach, privacy breach, or because it's sold off to someone that you didn't expect it to be sold to. But at the end of the day. You can change your driver's license, you can change your credit card, you can change your passwords and so on. You can't change your DNA.
Speaker 1: So essentially these records could just be sold to the highest better. Is there an opportunity, do you think because you say that they're encrypted, right, so if I sent off my spit to one of these companies, it would be logged somewhere presumably x y Z female. Is there a concern that if these were sold on to somebody else that they could decrypt their information.
Speaker 2: If they're sold to someone else, they will be decrypted because you can't use the information when it's an encrypted form. They're not going to buy a blob of ones and zeros that they can't even see what they are. They're going to decrypt it. The decryption key would be sold along with the information to who revise it, because otherwise you can't interact with the data. That's not to say that they wouldn't hold it in an encrypted form. But encryption is not a binary. Yes it's encrypted, no it's not encrypted. Encryption scales along stratum from not encrypted to industrial strength. You know it's held in the Pentagon and it's encrypted in two and fifty six encryption methods. Having said that, technology and computing power is increasing at such a rate that what we thought of as very secure methods of encryption or of storage ten years ago would now be looked at as opensleather. You know, I read the other day that Chinese researchers managed to use quantum computing to potentially decrypt the most strong encryption that is generally used by sites at the moment two for six AES.
Speaker 1: So instead of female x y z, it goes on to the new owner, and then that could they could decrypt it and be like, oh, this is Chelsea Daniels's DNA.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean in theory, there's two things that they do to try and protect people's privacy. One is to encrypt, and as we've talked about, potentially it can be decrypted. Secondly, they anonymize it. So your DNA sequence wouldn't necessarily be held with a label that sees Chelsea Daniels. It would just be held as subject one two five seven six. Now, the other difficulty that we're now facing with anonymization is the ability for very strong computing power in the very good matching of information, in particular with artificial intelligence to match disparate pieces of information together and suddenly come up with ay, well, person X was having a red car, they logged onto a computer in this place at this time, and they bought something with their credit card. Matching up those three pieces of information, a person X must be that person who owns that red car. Now that's a lot more difficult, obviously, with DNA sequences and so on. But there's clearly a move towards using high powered computers to denonymize people so you can be targeted. So information is getting it's getting much more granular in terms of the ability to pick out a particular piece of information and then link it to reidentify the person.
Speaker 1: What would someone want with my DNA that information? Is it all nefarious or is it kind of like a pharmaceutical company wanting a great batch of DNA information to then come up with a cure of the cancer or something.
Speaker 2: Obviously, having research to produce cures to cancer using massive DNA data sets is a good thing, no question about it, if it's done in controlled circumstances. But as I said, what we don't know who might end up being the purchaser of this information, and it may not be someone who is quite as ethical as we would all want. This is one of the issues always with technology is that you don't quite know where it's all going to end up.
Speaker 1: Another thing is when you're sending your DNA off to one of these companies, you're not only rescinding your rights, but in some cases your family's rights as well. Right like the Green River killer was probably not too impressed that his cousin of a cousin sent in one of his dinner because that's how he got caught.
Speaker 2: Right, So you know, other people can be identified. And I mean that's the same with any law enforcement issue, where you're often faced with the argument when you say privacy is very important, you often get a pushback from law enforcement people saying, well, if you've got nothing to hide while you're worried about well, privacy is a human right. Our right to be let alone is a right that is important to all of us. We don't walk down the road without any clothes on, and that's because there are some things that we like to keep private. You know, some people are less private than others, but it's all a matter of choice. There's also with any technology, there's also always the ability for mistakes to be made, false positives, false identifications and sign and so forth. So you can imagine these data sets being very because it's massive amounts of data, you can imagine artificial intelligence being run across it. Now, artificial intelligence is great, it's doing fantastic things, but it makes mistakes. It's all it's doing is statistically predicting what you expect to hear from it under an l l M, so allow of the large language model, it's responding in the way that it thinks you want based on the prompt that you put in. And we don't know how the artificial intelligence algorithms might be applied to these sorts of things. So, you know, to take my health insurance example, we don't know whether the algorithm that might be applied across a huge data set would actually deliver the right result. It may be that they've missed that it's misinterpreted the gene sequencing and therefore, instead of giving me a clean bill of health, has said, well, no, we think that the algorithm thinks that you might be more likely because of your DNA to have heart disease. That may be completely wrong. So there are all sorts of difficulties. That's not a function of the DNA, It's just a function of how it works in the way and watch these sorts of data sets may well will be used in the future.
Speaker 1: And one last question. If someone from your family turned around and said they wanted to find out who your ancestors were and they were going to use one of these sides, what would you say to them? Don't just straight up, no explanation, just no.
Speaker 2: I've always said that. I mean, it's a choice, right, it's I think the main thing is for people to understand the potential downsides of doing it and then to balance that against well, is that potential downside worth it for the buzz that I'm going to get out of finding that I have sixty percent Scottish ancestry. I don't think it is. There are perhaps other ways of doing that then using a DNA. And as I've said, the thing that always strikes me as different about DNA and the giving of DNA to other people is that you cannot change it. But the other issue, of course is that with any databases that there are in the world, they are all susceptible to privacy breach, cybersecurity attack and any organization that says, oh, I do you don't need to worry about that, we are fully protected and we have the best security in the world is absolutely telling porkies, because all of the organizations that have been hacked all said that right at the start. And as I say, with computing power, with artificial intelligence, the people who are obviously at the forefront of using that are criminals today.
Speaker 5: Growing questions after a first of its kind data breach targeting Jenny, how do you cite twenty three and me twenty three and me confirm profile information whilst taken that includes user names, passwords, gender, photo relatives in common and the percentage of DNA you share with them.
Speaker 2: So we can expect and we're all experiencing much more sophisticated attacks on people's systems from hackers and criminals. And what better pot of gold than a huge database of DNA.
Speaker 1: Thanks for joining us, Rick. That's it for this episode of The Front Page. You can read more about today's stories and extensive news coverage at enzed Herald dot co dot nz. The Front Page is produced by Ethan Seales. Dan Goodwin is the sound engineer. I'm Chelsea Daniels. Subscribe to the front page on iHeartRadio or wherever you get your podcasts, and tune in tomorrow for another look behind the headlines.