Speaker 1: You're listening to the Resonant Builder podcast with Peter Wolfcamp from News Talks ed B fifth place.
Speaker 2: That won't be enough, unfortunately for zoe Hobbs. Not in the top two and two others faster than her in this semi final. It was a great start from Zoey Hobbs. We'll check the times, but by my eye she was fifth. Zoey Hobbs, twenty shit Terry won it. Tia Clayton there as well. I've got Hobbs and fifth. We'll wait for official confirmation, but Tia Clayton and twenty shit Terry fastest. We'll check Zoey Hobbs' time. She got away well and lane three did Zoey Hobbs. She was up with the leaders who were Clayton and Terry, and then through fifteen meters just a grimace on her face. Darryl Natter from Great Britain went past her and it may be sixth even for Zoey Hobbs. Will check the time though, to see if she's close to that mark of hers of ten ninety six, a national record. Sixth place for Zoey Hobbs in the semi final. Absolutely no disgrace there even reaching the semi is quite something. Official confirmation of Zoey Hobbs's time eleven one three, so quite away outside her PB. She will not progress to the final unfortunately. Tea Clayton ten eight nine. Daryl Nita from Great Britain got up to second in ten ninety seven, so Twanisha Terry only going through as one of the best next Alfred Richardson Clayton, Nita Jefferson Tether you have it.
Speaker 3: That was live from Paris this morning. So zoe Hobbes a fantastic achievement to achieve a semi final in the woman's one hundred meters and phenomenal pace, I must have. And there's been discussion. We're not going to go down a sports talk type thing, but I was part of a fascinating discussion the other day where people were suggesting that we don't for us as mere immortals. And you know, if the last time you ran the hundred meters was when you're in the school athletics program or something like that, you know you should really sort of line up an average sort of runner along with these people, or an average swimmer or something. I was watching the ten thousand meters men's final the other day extraordinary. We will bring you up to date. Well, we will get a little bit sidetracked by this, but that's absolutely fine. That's not looking good. Tom Walsh seems to have injured himself during the shot. We'll bring you more news on that. We might have to go to the sports team get some updates. Right, eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call if you would like to to join in and discuss all.
Speaker 4: Oh, that's right.
Speaker 3: I was doing a task that was slightly unfamiliar to me this week, along with the occasional observation from my beloved as to do you know what you're doing, to which I replied, yes, it's okay. I listened to that guy on Sunday morning. So I was doing the taps in the bathroom, right, which have been slowly dripping and got harder and harder to turn on and turn off. When we renovated our place, we put the bathroom in probably twenty odd years ago. It all still works. It's just that the tap was getting a little bit stiff to turn on and off, and it was starting to drip. That's what happens with taps, right, That's why they have a replaceable washer in them. Turns out that the tap was slightly more complicated than I was expecting. I've pulled apart a number of them over the years, partly out of curiosity. This one was unlike anything else that I'd seen, and when I ended up on the workbench with several parts of the tap, I did start to question my ability to put it back together, and started to think about whether or not I could call Jerry, who's a plumber who lives around the corner, to sort this out. The other thing that I did realize but pushed through the reluctance, was it's never a wise idea to start a job at four o'clock on a Friday afternoon. So this was gnawing away in the back of my mind as well. But anyway, we got there in the end, and in fact, I was so excited by the overall performance of the now newly refurbished, cleaned up in what and greased tap with its complicated mechanism, that I'm quite excited to do the pot tap on Monday. So that'll be my task for tomorrow, rightio, Open line talkback on all things building construction. Oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call. We can talk about Actually I had a great conversation with someone. I'll talk about it bit later on about ventilation.
Speaker 4: I know. Actually it was really very exciting.
Speaker 3: We also had the opportunity this week to tag along with some guys from Apex Boots that I do some work with to the Miter ten expo, so they have an exhibitor's expo every year. And then I was lucky enough to attend the gala dinner in Hamilton on Wednesday night with the people from Mite to ten. So I think it was almost one thousand people, one thousand delegates. So these are the people that own the stores, These are the people that supply into the stores, the support office, the executive team, the cooperative and the chair and the chief executive and a very swanky and very entertaining gala dinner and prize giving at Claudland's Globbox on Wednesday night. So my thanks to them for their hospitality. It was a fantastic evening and quite an interesting insight into a very very large business when it comes to New Zealand. So revenue two point two billion dollars goes through Minor ten stores. It's remarkable and a tremendous bunch of people, to be fair, So thanks very much for your company or for letting me join you on at might a Tens gala on Wednesday night.
Speaker 4: Rightio, let's get into it.
Speaker 3: If you've got a progrem project that.
Speaker 4: Is well, like mine, a little bit a little bit.
Speaker 3: Uncertain as to what the outcome is going to be and you want to talk about it, or you've got a project that you're thinking about, or you've got a project that's just turned into an absolute disaster that you want to ask questions about and issues around contractors.
Speaker 4: I've sort of replied to a couple.
Speaker 3: Of emails this week where people have struggled with the quality of the contractors that they've engaged and what do you do about that? Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call. We will keep one eye on the Olympics as well. I have to say, not looking particularly good for Tom Walsh. Looked like he was in a great deal of pain after his last throw. So we'll try and bring you more information on that peat Wolf camp here at Newstalks there'd beat lines are open. The number eight hundred eighty ten eighty. You can tell that's nine two nine two was ABZB from your mobile phone. And if you'd like to email me, it's Pete at newstalksb dot Co dot Nz. But the lines are free right now. We always get busy later in the show, so now it's a great time to call. Eight hundred and eighty ten eighty you a news talks heb Pete wolf Camp with you open line on all things building construction. A very good morning to you, Paul.
Speaker 5: Oh, good morning to morning.
Speaker 6: I needed a staw bench and I went down to mine at ten and got one and brought it at home and all this is a good looking staw bench for two hundred ninety nine and black in deca right, And I put the guard on it and it flew off when I started at that, so I thought, well, must have done that wrong, So I put it on again and checked it as the book said, I put it on correctly, put another bit of timber stirt and it flew off again. So I took it back to my out of ten and they said, oh, there's nothing wrong with that, all right, and you have a look at it, and I'll come back in the next day. And the next day you had a bit of Timber City by thirty and about a foot foot or too wrong. And he cuts through that his note words perfectly, and I says, no, it doesn't And I just ripped just by putting my hand. Well it was twitched off, of course. I just pushed my hand up and off came the guard. And I says that there's two faults of this. The on off switch is covered by a flat. Now a child will look at and see them stairdy working on it, would look up that flat, press the go button and allays that spinny thing and then put their hands to it and they would lose their hands.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that's really about how you control your workspace, to be fair, And I'll tell you a story about that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's a very bad sword to have a home, you know. And so they don't think it's faulty. So I rang up the Commerce Commission and then got onto ITOUN. So there may be a recall of them.
Speaker 3: Okay, look, I'm to be fair. I'm not actually interested in slinging off tools, right. I understand where you're coming from. And obviously safety is phenomenally important when it comes to two power tools. Yeah, I guess too. There's there's a I mean, how much research did you do in terms of selecting a table saw, and like, what sorts of tasks will you do with your table saw?
Speaker 6: Well, with the table saw, I've got to build a new book. Thinks cup tops cut things up? And as yeah, I only found out of about eight there, I only found one that had a steel guard that would not move right would move, and I thought, this is not right. And even the one that had the good guard only had a flip cover on the on off switch. And little kids are very excited around tools and very interested in things, especially a little.
Speaker 4: More I know.
Speaker 3: But again, and look, I've got a young son, and I've got a table saw, and I can remember a time years ago when I was working in the shed and I had the table saw set up, thankfully, with the blade down and all the rest of it, and my little eye wandered and was looking around and curious and so on, and he flicked a switch on the table saw and it started. Now he was standing reasonably way back and all the rest of it. So I know exactly what you mean. It's scared the living daylights out of him. And to be fair, it's scared the living daylights out of me too. But you know, in the end, if you're going to let children into a workspace, that's your responsibility, not the tool owners.
Speaker 6: Well he's at home, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right. But ultimately it's your responsibility, not the taller. So what are you going to do? Wait for the com com to tell you.
Speaker 4: What to do?
Speaker 6: What I did is I rang up the Commerce Commission and they're looking into it. They say they could be a product recall.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well look, and you know, if the guard's not supposed to come off and it does, then that's obviously not accepted and.
Speaker 6: The other switch should be protected. Well ahead was a flat that went over? That's all here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that's enough, isn't it. I mean, what else would.
Speaker 4: You want to do?
Speaker 6: No, that's not enough because kids look up there.
Speaker 3: Again, kids shouldn't be in the workshop if they're not supervised.
Speaker 6: I mean it could be or could be in the workshop if either.
Speaker 3: One either way either way A flap over this that, I mean the way that I would look at it is And I'm just trying to think. My sword doesn't even have a flap over the guard right over the on off switch. The on off switch is simply a toggle. You lift it up to start it and you press it down to turn it off. Right, So it's easy to turn off. And that's that that prevents you exit because you have to lift the trigger on up. It stops you inadvertently bumping it. Yep, right, So I think that's safe enough. I don't think you need a cover with a switch underneath it. I mean I've got another some other power tools.
Speaker 6: It needs to have the cover that you can lock switch.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, then I disagree with you.
Speaker 7: Okay, all right, then I'll agree with you.
Speaker 6: I'll like to leave that on off switch available to suppress.
Speaker 3: Well, no, I'm saying to you that ultimately, responsibility in workshops is up to the owner, right and to your person responsible. So having a lockable switch on power tools is not required it it is the manufacturers.
Speaker 6: The manufacturers should not have let it get through the testing.
Speaker 3: No, that's one hundred percent disagree with you.
Speaker 6: Okay, okay mate, we'll just leave it there.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, much appreciate it. Thanks for the call much and you take care. There is a thing called personal responsibility. That's where I'm coming from. Sows and power tools need to be safe, but they are also power tools designed for use, and they don't need to have lockable covers on them in my opinion, Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call Joe.
Speaker 5: Good morning, Good morning, Peter.
Speaker 8: We're in the process of building a garage and we've got our firewall. Is a block wall, and it's filled with concrete. Yes, we had a big grain for about three or four days here and some of the water has seeped through. So we just need to know what product do we use to see all the X year the outside of it to prevent the water coming through.
Speaker 3: I'm really curious because over the years I would have had tens, if not hundreds of questions very much like yours, but typically they're about, you know, a nineteen seventies block wall or something like that. So a new block wall that's solid filled as ' grouted and it's sitting I presume on a concrete slab yep. And the concrete slab is not in the ground as a retaining wall, or the wall's not a retaining wall as such. No, is the building finished and it's leaking.
Speaker 8: Yeah, we're just about there, yep.
Speaker 3: So all the down pipes, flashing, spouting, everything.
Speaker 4: Is right, Okay.
Speaker 3: I am quite curious as to where that leak might be coming from, because it would require a lot of water to force its way through what is effectively one hundred and ninety mili block that's then grouted if it's solid filled. Right, So, potentially do the block sit on top of the concrete slab or do the blocks extend from the foundations up and the slab is cast into the side of.
Speaker 9: It if you record out of it, on top of it.
Speaker 4: They sit on top of right? And where are you seeing the water?
Speaker 8: Most of the water was down the bottom.
Speaker 3: Down the bottom at that junction between the slab.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and there was a little, just a little, a couple of little pitches sort of midway up.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And the block wall is it only one wall and then the other walls are timber framed that sort of thing.
Speaker 4: Or is the whole garage block wall?
Speaker 8: No, just the one, just the one wall.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, look, I think you should be talking to the builder and go, hey, look what's the plan here. The other thing is obviously this work. If it's a block wall and it's required for fire rating, the work will have a building consent be interesting to have a look on the building consent to see what is required on the exterior typically for and I've seen unpainted masonry walls not lead in water for decades, right, So I am genuinely a little bit surprised. But I would say, look, have a talk to the builder, Talk to them about what flashings might still need to go on, where the spouting has to go on, down pipes have to go on, that sort of thing. That might actually solve the problem. But the other thing is just in general, what you can do is seal the masonry wall, So seal the blocks on the exterior with preferably a pigmented sealer so something like shore Seal right from razine, and then paint it with X two hundred, which is essentially a waterproofing paint right designed specifically for masonry surfaces, so you can use it on plaster, you can use it on blocks, et cetera. And that will give you a waterproof membrane on the exterior of there, and that will seal up any minor pores and bits and pieces where water might be coming through. But I would still have a serious discussion with the builder about what flashings need to be done where the drainage goes. And I presume the ground level on the outside of the block will isn't going to be elevated. It's not like there's a requirement to do waterproofing there or anything like that. Okay, Yeah, have a look on the consent too, because it may well specify that the wall needs to be painted, and it might specify a particular product.
Speaker 4: Okay, alrighty, okay, let us know how you get on. Alrighty, take care.
Speaker 3: Eight hundred eighty ten eighty is that number to call? Eight hundred eighty ten eighty nine to two ninety two on the text. A couple of interesting texts coming through with regard to our first call it to be fair I eight hundred eighty ten eighty. We'll take a short break back with Dean in a moment. If you'd like to join us. The lines are open. Some fascinating texts coming in off the back of Paul's comments, not so much necessarily about the particular choice of tool and all the rest of it, just around attitudes to safety and look, we all work at home, right. If you're listening to the show, chances are you've you've done some work. You might have used a ladder, or you've had a couple of sawhorses with a plank on it, or you've had a sander that you've used to strip back some timber, or in some case you might have a power tool, a drill or a driver, or a multi tool, or a jigsaw, or a receip saw or a chainsaw, or a weed eater or a motor motor motama. Sorry, you know all of these items, right. If we're this whole show is about doing it yourself, right, So if you're going to do it yourself, you're probably gonna mean it. I was sharpening chisels on Friday, right, chisels are well sharp now because I sharpened them. You know all of these things, And I have to say in my own head, I often have to consciously remind myself when I'm using a table saw or saw bench. I've got to remember that this thing wants to take my bits off, right, It wants to take my finger off if I get too close to that blade. And I know guys who have lost either whole fingers, parts of fingers, parts of thumbs and that sort of thing. You know, you do you have to keep that presence of mind to go that blade. If it's cutting that piece of timber that I'm watching go through the blade, then it's not going to have a problem with one of my digits. But that's about your own presence of mind, your own awareness of the situation, and your own control around health and safety and proper practices around power tools, all of which will hurt you if you.
Speaker 4: Don't use them.
Speaker 3: Well, Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call Dean. Good morning, Good Dane.
Speaker 7: Morning Pete.
Speaker 10: Yep, sorry, mate, just said the microphone in the wrong place. Yeah, couldn't agree. Couldn't agree more. Our tools are dangerous, inherently dangerous.
Speaker 3: Look like, I was looking at some gear the other day, and I've got some stuff which has real, you know, additional safety features that are really useful. So a grinder that I use, for example, has a mechanism and it's beyond me to explain it. That means that when you overtalk it.
Speaker 4: It will stop. Right.
Speaker 3: So if you're cutting, let's say, with a grinder, and you're pressing too hard, you've twisted the blade and you're putting too much pressure onto the cutting, it will trip out. Now, that's useful because typically the next stage after that is it will kick back right, and that's dangerous. And I was looking at some gear the other day where they had that feature into a drill and again the same thing. I have a small fracture on my left wrist where the drill I was using when I was drilling through a steel bean bit and the drill just dragged my arm around and cracked it into the steel to the edge of an ee bean and hey, presto, there's a small little fracture there. Us kind of wondering why it hurts so much. But anyway, so you know, I mean, I think it's great that there are additional safety features in power tools, but ultimately, if it's your workspace, you're responsible for who's there and their competency and your own, is my opinion. Yeah, anyway, that's not probably what we were going to talk about, Deane.
Speaker 4: Tell me what's.
Speaker 10: So We're getting a house very extensively re roosted and hated, right, and it's a house, and so well, the scaffolds. It's been suggested that I should replace the gathering.
Speaker 4: Yep, sounds sensible.
Speaker 10: It's yeah, the gathering's okay, it doesn't really need to be replaced, but you know it probably will sometime the next ten years or so. Sure, So my question is basically, how much does it cost to head flash windows? And how much does it cost to put gathering on in your experience? Okay, so the scaffolding is already up, so you know that cost has already been absorbed. Yes, we're so nothing additional there. So we have sixteen head flashings, some of which are very definitely marginal. I mean, the house is one hundred years old, so okay, time with you, yep, yep. So basically we have sixteen of these things that could be replaced. What does it cost to replace a head flashing on a window? As a ballpark figure?
Speaker 3: A couple of questions for exterior clading is a weatherboard and a traditional style weatherboard or a rusticided board?
Speaker 10: No, just traditional, okay, all right?
Speaker 3: And so the head flashing sits over the top of the facings. There's probably a little like a headboard that's slightly sloped and timber, and then the flashing itself sits over that and then tucks up to the underneath the board above, so it's not recessed into the timber.
Speaker 10: No, it's not recessed or it is the old style pete I imagined. You know, you've got your window projecting out to right, You've got a weather ball behind it, and there's a flashing that sits on it weather board and folds over the window, and it's it. Yes, yeah, it might it might lodge into the weather board above the weather board above the window. Yeah, yeah, yep.
Speaker 4: Basically yeah, Okay.
Speaker 10: What could you expect to pay peer flashing to take the old one off? You know, you know, you cramp a new one presumably, and then put the new one on.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm just thinking about that. Like, let's say you've well one, chances are the flesh won't be standard, right, so you have to go to site measure probably each window and get them folded up. So that's going to cost you, you know, a couple of hours of work, and then the flashings, the freshings probably will cost you over a thousand bucks for the oh maybe not that much.
Speaker 4: Let's say it's five hundred bucks for the flashings themselves.
Speaker 10: It's not basically a big long window.
Speaker 3: But you know, by the time you send it off to someone, they've got to cut them all. They've got to fold them. You've got to get the angle right and all the rest of it. So if you get that, but right then when you arrive back on site with all of your flashings number one through sixteen, you've got to pull the old one off. You've got to pry open the gap between the lower and the upper weatherboard. You've got to take the old one out. You've got to fold the ends round, so there's a little bit of funky sort of cutting and folding that you need to do because they're all bespoke, and then slide it up and put a couple of pins through the side.
Speaker 7: Look.
Speaker 4: To be fair, I would probably.
Speaker 3: Allow an hour per window to move a flashing, making new one and put one in.
Speaker 4: I could probably do.
Speaker 3: It a little bit faster than that, but I think if I was quoting, i'd probably allow close to an hour per window, so it'd be a two day job. Chippies at sixty bucks an hour, you know you're talking twelve to fourteen hundred dollars plus the materials could be almost a two thousand dollars exercise. And I know I'm going to get a bunch of texts in a minute.
Speaker 10: Agoousand dollars we're talking sixteen flashings here. Yeah, so you're saying about one thousand dollars to flashing, were you?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, I was thinking to buy the flashings, to buy all of them, I think it'd be I think it's probably more like five hundred bucks right to go and get them made by someone and have them.
Speaker 4: Do they need to be stainless? Well, now to comply.
Speaker 10: All sixteen one thousand dollars in total?
Speaker 3: No, five hundred. Let's make it five hundred for sixteen, right.
Speaker 10: Five hundred for sixteen or so, Yeah, somewhere between a five hundred.
Speaker 3: And then let's allow two days work for a carpenter, so at sixty bucks an hour or something like that. Yeah, it'll be a fifteen hundred and sixteen hundred dollars exercise, I would think, and spouting interestingly enough, I heard an ad actually running on this station the other day that for its continuous group doing starting at twenty six dollars a linear meter.
Speaker 10: Now, yes, which raises my second question, So how much do you think it would cost to put in thirty three meters of gathering? There's nothing special about the gathering, and they are talking about having brackets every four hundred mili.
Speaker 4: Good.
Speaker 10: There's about nine outlets yep, and end caps and clips and stuff. So thirty three meters skateboarding is already up, so no extra costs for that.
Speaker 4: Twenty three members.
Speaker 3: I mean, thirty three meters is actually not that much, to be fair, but if there's you know, droppers are more expensive than a straight run. You've got to do end caps and that sort of thing. I mean, I've done some numbers. I've come up with sixteen hundred bucks, but let's call it two.
Speaker 10: Grand two grand?
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, so where have you ended up with?
Speaker 10: Quotes?
Speaker 3: And for good reason you can understand why I'm reluctant to sort of discuss numbers, because it's different areas and I don't want to comment on anyone else's.
Speaker 10: Work, particularly special. Right, So thirty three meters five thousand, one hundred and twenty plus.
Speaker 4: Gsc sorry how much? Five thousand, five.
Speaker 10: One hundred and twenty and I just couldn't get my head around it. So I did some pricing for one.
Speaker 3: Hundred and fifty five dollars a linear meter.
Speaker 10: Yeah cool, wait, friky.
Speaker 4: Krakey yeah yeah.
Speaker 10: So I thought, well, gosh, there must be a lot more guttering than I thought, so I asked how much, how many meters and he consumed, there's thirty three meters of guttering nine outdates. We need to replace all the end kept and clips. To replace the external bends on the bottom level, we'll be using stainless or screws, very gutter brackets, so they'll be putting brackets in every four hundred.
Speaker 4: Milk basically, yeah, but screws are not Unit wasn't talking.
Speaker 10: About this though, peak, which I thought a bit surprising. The gathering code also includes installing timber in between the current timber fixings. Now that I don't quite understand. Yes, because basically all but one chunk there is one bit there where the gathering is basically sitting on nothing. So they need to put another board and take the existing gathering off put a board in, But that's about two three meters worth of you know. The rest of them they just attached to the body. We call them faces, I guess, like normal gathering.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so yeah, okay, Well, I mean maybe you could tag that out and say that's a five hundred dollars cost or something like that to do that extra.
Speaker 10: But I just don't see where this coat comes from. I'm sorry, it just doesn't make any sense. Can you just can you just remind me what you said you think the gathering should go? Well, no, I thirty three meters.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm listening to z B during the day, and I know that there's a company they're advertising and they're saying, hey, look spouting starting from twenty nine dollars a meter. I put in fifty dollars a meter, and I came up with a sort of a sixty sixteen hundred dollars fee.
Speaker 10: Right, So they're fifty dollars for meter that you're talking about, Pete. That is basically to get the materials, get you know, and the bits and in caps and screws and go and blah blah blah. It's the fifty dollars a meter and that's installed.
Speaker 7: You reckon?
Speaker 3: Yeah, typically yeah.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 3: Look the beauty of it is and this is the beauty of capitalism. You get more than one quote, right, And so you invited people.
Speaker 10: People doing the rufic, so in for those heads snatings, Pete, what do you reckon?
Speaker 12: Oh?
Speaker 3: Look, I again, you know, I don't know the circumstances, don't know how complicated, but you know. I know, having done especially on villas. I know having done a lot of work on villas, they can be time consuming. So if I if I was looking at it myself, i'd allow myself an hour per window, right, so it'd be a two day job. And then I so at sixty bucks an hour, you can figure that out and then say, well, look, I'm going to go and get a whole bunch of flashings made up and we're going to put five hundred dollar fee on that. That's roughly where you are. It'd be interesting if someone does text and go I'm either too high or too low, but look, great thing is hopefully ask around, get a couple of extra quotes, and then go from there.
Speaker 4: Let us know how you get on.
Speaker 10: Take care.
Speaker 4: My pleasure.
Speaker 3: Nice to talk to you, Bob, your news talks. It'd be if you've got a question of a building nature and it's it's broad right. It can be around product selection, it can be around tool use. John, I'm more than happy to talk about, you know, selecting the right tool for the job. And yeah, I'm really keen to talk about safety as well. I think these figures are a little bit out of date, but I know from some reading. I did maybe a year or two ago, ACC pay out about seventy six million dollars and compensation or funding for people that have injuries at home as a result of falling from ladders. The total amount that they would pay out on sort of home injuries, let's say, caused by power tools actually on my list as well to reach out and go. It'd be really fascinating to know what that number would be. And I don't want to make light of people having injuries, but I also don't want people to feel that somehow the power tool is responsible for the injury, not the operator. Most of the time it's the operator. Oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call. It is six forty seven here at news Talk said quick text with regard to the conversation with Dean was that including or excluding scaffolding. That was the whole point of the part of the story was that the scaffolding was already up because they were doing roof for replacements. And I mean scaffolding's are significant costs. So yeah, just purely for the materials in labor. Hello and good morning, Oh, good morning.
Speaker 13: I have a seventy year old house or remu I'm getting two double doors put in. They are what you have in front of the mosque, So each one is four point five kg that carved so and they are higher than the existing doorway. I'm replacing it, taking the old doorway out and putting the ornamental things in as an ornament.
Speaker 6: But they will also be a door.
Speaker 5: They will.
Speaker 14: But when they join together.
Speaker 13: There has so the top above the door has to.
Speaker 9: Be heightened by about two fifty and they have to be made wide. But there's room for that. What sort of a cost should they be?
Speaker 3: Look, I'm really reluctant to get into the whole. Can you quote a job for me without seeing it? The other thing that I would point out to you in is that that what you're describing there, The fact that you want to widen the opening also triggers a requirement for a building consent.
Speaker 5: In an internal door.
Speaker 3: Internal door Okay, no, probably not, but if it's a load bearing wall, then you will definitely need to have some specific engineering or design done. So the lintel will need to be sized to take the load above.
Speaker 4: And look hanging old.
Speaker 3: Doors that are slightly twisted and all the rest of it. Okay, all right, either way, it's still.
Speaker 4: Quite a lot of work.
Speaker 3: So look, there is no point in me offering up a price because I'm not doing the work right. So the best bet is to find a contractor that's recommended to you, someone who's got some skills.
Speaker 7: I know, the builder is very good.
Speaker 5: Okay, eighty bucks.
Speaker 3: An now, yep, that's that's where Chippy's are sitting at the moment. To be fair, labor rates are coming back, but that will depend on where you are in the country and what type of work. And you know, what you're asking them to do is it's not outside of what most people would be able to do every day, but it will require a set of skills that's probably to be fair beyond some people. So I think the best bet is to get a you know what the hourly rate is. They should be able to tell you. I think it's going to take me two days, three days, you know, something like that. Shouldn't really be much more than that, and then if you're happy with the price, go ahead, and if you're not, then find another price. So, like I said, not really wanting to engage in lots of discussion around how much do you think it should cost? Just get an extra price. Good luck to you in Liz.
Speaker 5: Hello there, Hello, how are you today?
Speaker 9: Good?
Speaker 4: Thank you?
Speaker 15: It's it.
Speaker 9: I decided to get a new garage door installed because the other one was old and apparently the other and has had trouble with the garage door on trying to open it with a remote. Yes, anyway, installed this lovely new garage door, and the garage door just seems to like to open whenever it feels like right.
Speaker 3: Look, if it's a new door, then there will be warranties and guarantees around the door. So it's just a case of going back to the supplier or to the installer and explaining that to them it just simply shouldn't happen.
Speaker 9: So it's some installed for new motors already. Then I had to get a Sparky in to check, putting a new plug up the top yep and then the Sparky in check, which was fantastic or my worrying to see what there was no faults in my warrant and it's still opening.
Speaker 3: I tell you what, I wonder whether it's worth getting next time someone comes out to check it, getting a new remote and programming it again because it is quite possible that someone nearby has a very similar remote and when they open their door, your door opens as well. That you'd want to that that can happen, right.
Speaker 9: We've gone through that Scenarioka and his program Offsite offside.
Speaker 3: Wow and its look ultimately, you know you, I know it's it can become disheartening to constantly be ringing the contractor, but that's not how doors a garage doors are supposed to work. So it's completely the responsibility of the contractor to keep fixing it at no cost to you.
Speaker 9: Yes, well, well I have to pay for the sparky.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's okay, that's an upgrade. But in terms of actually getting the door to stay closed until you want it to open, is what they need to do for you.
Speaker 15: And and.
Speaker 4: I can imagine the frustration.
Speaker 9: But you've just got the insecurity of having a door. Like I was watching the Olympics the other n I went to bed at one thot and the garage door wide open.
Speaker 3: I don't know enough about them to make a comment around that, but you know, please persist with phoning them, and you know, if you're not getting the right reply, then you can seek redress through like the commuce commissioners or just remind them of their responsibilities under the Consumer Guarantees Act. That tends to get people operating a little bit better.
Speaker 4: So good luck with that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not easy, all right, you take care? See then, crikey. That would be quite disconcerting, wouldn't it if you wake up in the morning and find that garage doors open and it's just opened randomly.
Speaker 15: Oh?
Speaker 4: I like this song.
Speaker 3: You and New Stalks at b We're into the second hour of the show. Welcome back.
Speaker 4: Oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the.
Speaker 3: Number to call if you've got a building question or a building related question. And we did, interestingly have a bit of a conversation around safety, and I guess it's around sort of responsibility that I'm very aware that many of us will do work at home, and while we're doing it, we'll have tools, and some of them will be power tools, some will be hand tools. Generally, most tools are sharp, and most tools can hurt you. If you've ever hit your thumb with a hammer, it hurts. If you've ever cut yourself with a saw, it hurts. If you've ever slipped off a ladder, it hurts. So a little bit of discussion around safety and machinery was good, and just before the break we were talking with Liz who mentioned a garage door, a replacement garage door that seems to have a mind of its own and what might be causing that, And ultimately it does come down to the contractor being coming back and sorting out a couple of texts on that we turn our door off at night with a long pole for that reason security. It seems to be how the door relates to the ground. If it runs a bit on it can decide to go back up. Yeah, but I know that that's what happens when you're tuning the door, right, So if it comes down, it sort of does a bounce thing and you have to reset the travel on the door to ensure that it doesn't think that it's hit something and comes back up. But typically that happens when you're either when you're closing the door, it bounces back up. But for it to randomly open at one o'clock in the morning, that's a slightly different question regarding yeah, someone else has ticked through, just with regard to doors being inadvertently opened by other remote.
Speaker 4: Controlls in the area. So you have to look at that.
Speaker 3: We'll take some calls on all things building and building related here at Newstalk z B. It is coming up to ten minutes eight minutes after seven.
Speaker 4: A very good morning, Oh good morning.
Speaker 16: I just heard the lady for the news, and my comments mirror the ones you've just read out from text. Which was my first reaction was we'll turn the thing off at the PowerPoint at night time, which we do. If you know we're going to be away for a period of prime on holiday, you just turn the switch so that they can't it can't go up to it. So it won't solve a problem, but in the meantime for it to feel secure. If she has a post or broomstick or something and just switch pushes the switch off at least when she's finished for the day, she knows it won't open. Yes, she turns it back on again the same. We do the same the door. If the wind comes from a certain direction that makes the door rattle. So if that case, I go out and lift up the wire as there's an older door, but the wire thing and hook it up over it.
Speaker 6: Oh, you hook it off the hook.
Speaker 16: Unhook it off the hook, so the locks actually lock on either side of it at the bottom so that that stops the wind from rattling. And then when the storm's over, I go back and I put the wire back over the hook and it's back into automatic mode. So's it's just, yeah, it won't solve her problem, but it might help her peace of mind if you well until.
Speaker 3: The problem was solved. That's probably not a bad step to take. It if you worried that you're going to wake up in the morning and find the garage door open, then at nighttime when you close it, turn the switch off and it'll stay closed.
Speaker 16: And there is that tiny uncertainty with those doors. I was driving home at two thirty one night past the neighbor's place and saw their door wide open and thought, oh no, it's got all sorts of stuff in there, and cleansing his hunting rifles. I'll go and wake him up at two thirty in the morning, hopefully he won't mind. And he said, oh shit, thank.
Speaker 7: You so much.
Speaker 16: Yes, it's got my hunting rifles in there, I think.
Speaker 3: Hopefully be in a safe and all the rest of it.
Speaker 16: But yeah, they were all his antlers and his head, oh crack, all his meat in the freezer and things like that, and I'm going, well, I think you'll prefer me waking you up and then finding out in the morning that's coming. Yeah, but he thought he'd shut it from the house, that he pressed the button as he went into the house and didn't look back. Yeah, and of course it hadn't shut.
Speaker 14: Brilliant in that case.
Speaker 16: So you've got to you've got to check.
Speaker 3: Appreciate the call, lovely to chat all the best, Thank you very much. Quick text on the lady with the garage door issue. Take the batteries out of all of the remotes and see if that stops it happening. Then it may show that if it's in the motor brain or in the remote controls. Very good suggestion, Roger, Good morning to you.
Speaker 15: How are you, Peter. I haven't talked to you for a while.
Speaker 4: Nice to hear from you. You will.
Speaker 15: Yeah. About machinery and it's safety and I work for Ray Golfinch for eight years working on machinery all day and every day, yep, And there was no There was no safety cover for the switches. There was no The on off switch was simple and it was easy to get at if you needed to turn it off anytime. So therefore, really the guy is talking rubbish, and nobody would sell you a machine with a flap over the switch that stops you from turning it off as well as on.
Speaker 3: H Actually, I'm thinking like I got no, I've got that arrangement on a dust extractor that I have in my workshop in the garage, right. So there is a flap that you have to release and lift up in order to turn the dust extractor on. And then when you put the flat back down, it has a red button on the top, which means that if you need to turn it off quickly, you can just hit that so you can turn it off without doing any intervention. But you can only turn it on with a two step process, which is modern.
Speaker 15: That's a bit that's modern.
Speaker 3: Pretty good situation. The table saw that I currently have has essentially a toggle, so to turn it on you have to lift it up, as in just you know, leave it up right. It's it's not a it's just a one step thing. You just put your fingers undereath it, flick it up. But it also means that if you need to turn it off quickly, it's simply a downward motion and it's off what.
Speaker 15: I'm trying to say. That's what I'm trying to say. Yeah, his his if he's buying machinery for a workshop at home where the kids are around, he should take the pair supply away from each of the machines when he's not using it.
Speaker 4: And that it's a really simple safety precaution right.
Speaker 15: Well in it's common sense.
Speaker 3: And look, you know, over the years, I'm sure most of us have used power tools inside the house, possibly when other people are around, and that sort of thing. So you're right if you're not standing by, you know, like a circular saw for example, back in the day that we had, you know, used more corded tools than cordless ones for example.
Speaker 15: Of course that's negated there isn't it.
Speaker 4: Right, Well, it has.
Speaker 3: But interestingly enough, like all of the cutting tools that I have, I would you know, in terms of circular saw, recep saw, jigsaw and those sorts of things all have it's not just to pull the trigger, right, they all have an additional either a toggle or a lever or something like that that you have to depress before you can pull the trigger.
Speaker 15: So the circular not to mention all those modern tools, now you pull the batrio and that stops everything doesn't.
Speaker 3: And that's absolutely true as well. But you know, so there is more inbuilt safety, but which I think is good because it does mean that, you know, for something like a circular sort, for example, if that's left unattended for a moment and somebody does wander and think, oh, I wonder what happens when I grab the trigger, that's it prevents someone from doing that. But ultimately, my attitude has always been, you know, if it's my gear, then I'm responsible for the environment and I'll make sure that it doesn't stay on or that I'm supervising it correctly.
Speaker 15: Yeah. I had machinery around the place all my fifty years of building and never never had any problem. Still got all my own fingers, and I did a lot of work for Gregolf, a lot of machinery work for Rey golfinch right, a lot of it, to be fair.
Speaker 3: I do know that name, yeah.
Speaker 15: Grason Avenue, Yes, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, he's got two boys that would be your age.
Speaker 3: He might be right because my dad's factory was down there as well. Yeah, Grace Avenue. I drove by there the other day. Actually it's changed a bit, but well, In fact, when when Dad had the factory there, Grace Nevenue didn't go all the way through, It stopped at a kind of where duff at Doors was and that sort of thing.
Speaker 15: And that's where you their concrete outfit too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right at the end, brilliant. Hey, lovely to talk to you, Roger, better move On's nice to talk to you by by then. So the reason that we were a couple of old codges reminiscing is that my dad, when he was in business, had a factory. We made metal. Dad made metal furniture and anchors in a small factory that he established in Grace Avenue, and Worry Papa Toy and obviously Roger Goldfinchers were down there as well. Duffer he was actually was a polystyrene manufacturing factory across the road that burnt down one night. That was kind of scary but kind of exciting as well. And a couple of other businesses that I still remember from back in the day. One hundred and eighty eighty is that number to call Grant A very good morning to you, sir.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Hyde, just some ideas with the door, sure, okay, so the old doors have the old star remotes just with you a little battery in it, but they are they are prone to being opened by people that might have scanners unfortunately or something else. Some of the new doors have Wi Fi opening. Ah, so that's quite good. That's much much better.
Speaker 3: This is a new door, by the way, so it's a replacement door that's been installed and now they've got this issue where it's intermittent.
Speaker 5: So here's a remedy for those people that have the old remote but might be having this problem of the door it's on the opening or finding it open. It may have been just you know, like for instance, there's it was a scenario of certain vehicles run at certain frequencies going past the street and doors kind of opening. You might have heard about that before. Well, anyway, we'll forget about that. But for that lady, she's just got a old style remote. But if she, if she has a smartphone and maybe WiFi, has put a little Wi Fi plug between on on that circuit that she can turn on as she drives up. She can pack up for thirty seconds, use a smartphone to use it to turn the Wi Fi plug on which powers the powers the door, and then she can use her remote and then and then when she's left left the building, she can turn the Wi Fi plug off and she knows that the the door is who's not being powered she's away. Okay, Wi Fi plug, you'd flail all for about twenty bucks and then just and then just program it with your your Wi Fi Internet and your your that goes with the Wi Fi plug.
Speaker 3: Would that mean that it would override the remote?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: Could she have both systems operating?
Speaker 5: The Wi Fi plug is? All it's doing is turning on the power to the door, right, So the first thing you do is you just drive up to the door, go to your smartphone and the Wi Fi plug on the door, then hit the remote and up comes the door.
Speaker 3: And you can do that Wi Fi plug just in that individual plug. It's not like a smart wiring with throughout the house.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, there's quite a few. There's for instance, just for when I know quite close by that that that door is, how just off a conventional plug that's in the garage way and you just put it, plug it in, plug it into the wall socket and then plug the cord from the from the door into the brilliant into the Wi Fi plug.
Speaker 4: Well, I appreciate that ground.
Speaker 3: That's awesome, much appreciate it. You have a great day actually talking about power this week, there's a place that I look after, and there was there's been some infrastructure upgrade work happening in the street, including a notice that hey, look, the power is going to be off while we underground power to a certain number of houses, including the one that I look after, and so there's been correspondent. So over the last couple of weeks there's been activity in the street. There's been excavations and there's been you know, patching of pavement and excavation of pavement and installation of pits. And then was it Tuesday they came along and livened up the new underground supply to the house, which also means new cable into the meter board outside. Then electrical inspectors have to come through and test the connection so independently of the contractor and then confirm that that's safe and then the power could go back on and the guys are up, you know, unclipping overheadlines and all phenomenal to watch. It's quite more actually, and they did an awesome job, which is great. Oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty we'll talk someone text through before can I talk to you about power tools?
Speaker 4: Mate? We can talk about power tools all day long. Give us a call.
Speaker 3: I eight hundred eighty ten eighty when New Talk said B and we're I've unplugged myself.
Speaker 4: Don't worry.
Speaker 3: I'm not as incompetent with tools in the house. I eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call. Matt A very good morning.
Speaker 4: Oh, good morning morning mate?
Speaker 11: You do yeah, yeah, very good, look like chext through saying can we hear the talk about tools as some advice. I've just borrowing a table sawer from my father in law, an older one, and I'm quite keen to buy one, but he's such a variety out there.
Speaker 14: Yes, and I'm not very good at.
Speaker 11: Buying just rubbish tools. I'm a bit of a kida person. I've got some old Tashi Jop saws and I'd like to stay within one of those brands. But I mean, there's so much variety in the cost. You know, just a bit of advice about you know what you should be looking at?
Speaker 4: Yeah, sure, and look.
Speaker 3: It is a it's a tricky one in that You're right, there is a lot of variety and there's a there's variety in terms of quality, and it's it's it's often about like we know that there are like you can buy a cordless drell for one hundred and twenty bucks, right, and you can buy a cordless drill for five hundred bucks and both of them ultimately drill holes. Right, But the difference is often around run time.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: It's about you as a user, how much time are you going to be using it and sort of what performance do you need from it. If you're working around the home and you use it intermittently, then chances are one hundred and twenty dollars cordless drill, for example, will do what you need it to do ninety five percent of the time. Now, if you're a commercial operator and you're, for example, screwing roofing down or something like that, and you're doing that all day long, then you're going to need to choose something from the other end of the range. Table saws. I guess if I was choosing one and I'm thinking about the one that I've got at home without revealing what that particular brand might be. One of the things that I'm often really critical about some of the table saws is they only clamp at one side. So the ripping guide right the fence I think should be able to be clamped or should clamp and locate at both ends of the guide, because that holds it a lot more secure than just being at one end of the guide. So that would be part of my criteria there. The other thing is, I guess I know power tools are expensive, particularly if you buy them brand new. Over the years, I've actually bought a reasonable amount of gear secondhand, and sometimes that can be quite I mean, sometimes you can end up with rubbish, so you've got to be a bit careful. I absolutely loathe with a passion people that steal power tools and then sell them. So I think you've got to be super cautious around buying from some one who you think might have stolen or come into possession of stolen goods. So you've got to be a bit careful around that.
Speaker 4: Seriously.
Speaker 15: I love.
Speaker 11: A real market for that type of stolen tols, and you know, very hard to people don't record these serial numbers and all that sort of you know, you sort of going off track of.
Speaker 3: That, no, but look on that though, like a thing that I have been part of and I would encourage as the police through some of their community policing thing, we'll do programs with they'll they'll engrave or get tradees to engrave their driver's license number onto their power tools. And I've done exactly the same with mine, so you know, all of my gear has got my driver's license on it, because you know, I might paint my tools green and go, oh that's great, now I know which are mine. But if the police, you know, kick the door down on a meth house right and find there's a room full of power tools, and this is exactly what happens, and then hey, look, you know I've painted mine green or I've.
Speaker 4: Put p W on it. Well, who the hell's p W? You know?
Speaker 3: I mean, Whereas if you've got the driver's license, even if it's not your, you know, like let's say I've sold it to you, right, but at least if it gets pinched from you, then they'll contact me and I'll go, oh, that's right. I sold it to Matt a couple of years ago, you know, and it's legitimate, So I think that's great. But it look in terms of selecting the power I think you've got to look at obviously you've got to look at price, you've got to look at some of the basic features that the tool will have. And you know, again you might end up spending not that much on a table sort for example, but it does, you know, like I think it's really important. The guide gets clamped at both ends. And then sometimes what happens with more budget tools is they come with not particularly good quality blades. So often swapping the blade out and getting a really good blade into it can actually make the difference. But all you know, but you've got to be realistic too, And I get frustrated with people that go, oh, look, I bought this table saw and it cost me four hundred bucks and I was trying to rip down, you know, forty meters of hardwood and it's darnell. You know, seriously, mate, that's that's not what you should be doing with that tool.
Speaker 11: Do you do you have anything to say? You know, sort of right, the wattage one of the themes I'm looking at. It's been a thousand odd dollars. Yeah, it's good quality, comes with the built in stein, it's got an arbor, so you put data or data blade into it. Rack and pinion. But it's only fifteen hundred.
Speaker 4: What I think fifteen hundred will would do?
Speaker 7: You?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think so, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 11: Oh and I agree around what you said about Second End at tools of just can I speak to that brand?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't mind you you can.
Speaker 11: So, yeah, good Second End HTASHI older model C or seating FSB condition, A good solid saw, really well looked after. I think, you know, that's a lifetime saw.
Speaker 3: I ran that saw for about fifteen years, so I know it intimately in a sense. They're awesome, they really are.
Speaker 11: Yeah, And then you know, I know they're not. You know a lot of people going to these forty volt systems, but you know for power or brilliant.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I haven't.
Speaker 3: I haven't moved to that yet, but you know, at this point in time, like the the two drop saws that I have fine, right, so I don't need to upgrade. Certainly, I know a lot of a lot of contractors who are moving to cordless drop saws, and by all accounts, you know, I'm still getting my head around the performance there, but it's it's pretty damn good to be fair.
Speaker 11: Yeah, that main and mine has got a forty volt. It's brilliant. However it's a lot more money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, again, you know, it's one of those things that if, for example, you're like for finishing work for you know, if you're moving around the house doing finishing work, I think having a cordless or battery powered set up is fantastic. If you're working in a site where power is a little bit unreliable, then that's fantastic as well. But most of the time, I mean yeah, I mean, look, I to be fair, I've still got, for example, a corded skill saw at home. Have I used it much over the last couple of years.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: Does the battery powered gear that I've got suffice for ninety nine percent of what I do one hundred percent. It's amazing how quickly we've swapped across. Yeah, chat, okay, buddy, take care. All the best followed then, Pete. Someone buying a table so should also get a good pusher such as the gripper to save their hands and fingers. Cheers from Moz If you're wondering what that is, it's like you shouldn't have your fingers any w near the blade, right, So typically if you're cutting something that's smaller and you need. It needs to be close to the blade. Then you end up with a push stick and you can get flash ones like the gripper and things like that. To be fair, I make my own. I've made a number of them over the years, and if you look online there's all sorts of different varieties and so on. The one that I made the other day has got a lot handle on the top works absolutely fine. Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call.
Speaker 4: Do we take break?
Speaker 3: I think so let's do that and a bunch of great texts as well. With regard to power tools, more than happy to talk tools, particularly around you know, I suppose it's a competency thing where you need to have the time on the tool to become competent in its use without becoming complacent, because that's that's when things go wrong. We'll come back and talk more about tools. We'll talk all things building construction here at new Stalk SeeDB. The lines are open. The number is eight hundred and eighty ten eighty back in a moment your.
Speaker 4: News stalk s hed B.
Speaker 3: And to be fair, I'm kind of in a happy place talking about power tools, so we can talk power tools. We can talk power tool safety usage and that sort of thing, and it's I'm very much in favor of you encouraging.
Speaker 4: Anyone to.
Speaker 3: Purchase and use and develop their skills with power tools. So I'm very conscious, having, you know, years and years of working with people, some of whom have had life changing injuries as a result of incidents involving power tools, that safety is also powera amount that I'm absolutely convinced to. Safety always, most cases always comes down to the competency and the attitude and the awareness of the operator.
Speaker 4: Every now and.
Speaker 3: Then, you know, tools will kind of bite you in the sense that they fail and that becomes a problem. But nine times out of ten, it's always about the operator. Oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call.
Speaker 4: Parvin. Good morning to you.
Speaker 15: How are you?
Speaker 4: Good morning?
Speaker 14: I'm well, thanks, sadly about I've got about nineteen seventy property and when it rains, not every time, but it's what it comes through the popular window into the house. Yep, you haven't heard of anything like that before. What the best way we live that would be?
Speaker 3: It really comes down to finding out where and why, right, so you can fix it if you know exactly where it's coming from. It's interesting that it owns it doesn't happen every time it rains. So what that tells me is that it's about a combination of wind.
Speaker 14: And rain that kind of kind We didn't rule it that, but we're not that could or not because that even on non wind as it's come through as well close to the window, yes, and worked our way good. We couldn't just kind of like, yeah, lostedness system.
Speaker 3: So when you've if you're using a hose and ideally not you know, with the hose on direct but use it like the soaka setting or a sprinkler setting or a shower setting or something like that, so that you've got trying to replicate normal weather conditions and you couldn't make it leak.
Speaker 4: Then no, it did that.
Speaker 14: We got to a stadium, it didn't it, but you couldn't stand to exactly. We kind of feeled the whole area of ceiling.
Speaker 15: Yep, and we thought.
Speaker 14: About two three weeks later.
Speaker 3: Okay, right, Yeah, it definitely only leaks when it rains. Yes, Okay, Now, because it's a question I often ask people because sometimes in fact the leak is not about the weather.
Speaker 4: It's about a pipe for example.
Speaker 14: True.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it's just a sort of process of elimination, right, yeah, I aluminium jewry, timber jowinery.
Speaker 14: Timber jewry. It's kind of weather on. It's got flatboards in the middle with the window that she placed in the.
Speaker 3: Building, and above the window. What happens above the window how far up to either the roof or to the second story.
Speaker 14: It goes to a second story to another window which doesn't which is really kind of strange because of this window one above the other ones one on one story, ones on the other, the top one doesn't think.
Speaker 3: It's unless potentially what's happening is that the top one does leak, but it leaks at the sill and the water is draining down through the building envelope, and then you're seeing it on the lower story window. Does it leak at the top of the bottom of the window.
Speaker 14: Top of the window comes through that l like you know, you've got a window frame that comes from the top of the frame. Basically just kind of natally, it's quite hard sometimes, you know, it's just like when it's coming through quite a lot, and it's sometimes it's just a light to drop. Sometimes I'm not a gash of that comes down quite a lot of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So when you were using the hose to get it to leak, did it leak when you were on the lower window? If you work from the sill up to the head, did it leak when you hit the head?
Speaker 4: It did?
Speaker 14: Okay, not a centure?
Speaker 5: Yeah right, yeah.
Speaker 3: Have you had a professional coming hell look around, because.
Speaker 11: It look at it and he went through and sealed it as well.
Speaker 14: But he's said, of failing that, you must have the whole.
Speaker 3: Wall off and kind of investigate where it's actually coming from.
Speaker 14: Pretty much. Yeah, basically, yeah, yeah, that's what I got. Just another quick fixel that the way that because I've seen the stuff on TV, like I'm not onto, but on Edge on Facebook where people put like a spray or silicons.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I've used those.
Speaker 3: I've used those in the right setting, so for example, corner of the spouting where the ceilant might have broken down, right, or a long flashing where there's a junction that might need to be sealed, or I think I even used it on some really rotten clear light roofing and just sprayed that over the top and it kind of worked as a temporary fix. But in terms of effects for what you've got, I don't know that you would that.
Speaker 4: Would be the solution.
Speaker 14: I want to do that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, interesting that you like. If you can make it leak, typically you can then identify if you know where you're spraying the water, like when you do that investigation. Yeah, I think so, and do it with someone on the inside and someone on the outside so that you absolutely typically that should identify it. And so I guess there's a couple of things. One is it might be leaking around the actual window frame, right, so if a sash is not well fitted, you can get leakage around there. Typically it'll leak around the head flashing, but in this instance, with another window above, the leak might be happening there and coming down. So i'd have a look at the seal flashing there. Yeah, but apart from that, I think it might be a little bit on your own. Their pardon, good luck with it all. Oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is then number to call. We will take another break. We'll come back to Leslie and a quick text on the powertool theme.
Speaker 4: Pick.
Speaker 3: My husband has an old saw bench which he got in the nineteen seventies, so it has no safety guard on it. Can I buy one from Mary? You'd have to scour, you know, trade me your second hand tools and that sort of thing to find one. I certainly don't think there'll be one on the shelves anymore. If it's a nineteen seventy one, it's probably a good old fashioned tenor that's what we had when I was doing my early years of building, big old heavy thing. Lugged it on and off the trailer like he rattled, and carried on cut plenty kitchens out with it, though. That was a remarkable thing. Hello as and cut them and made them not cut them up and got rid of them like we used to.
Speaker 4: Make our own kitchens, Leslie. Good morning to you.
Speaker 17: Yeah, good morning, Peter. Look I've got an area of backlawn i'm doing away with, and I've put down matting and I want to put some stones on top yep. And I went to the quarry the other day to find out, you know, because the guy asked what period is and it's five x seven meters, yes, And I couldn't understand how many stones, you know, he was talking meters or something. I just couldn't understand he.
Speaker 3: Would typically do a measurement in cubic meters. And so if so, it's five by seven year, right, and what type of stones are you talking? Like river pebbles that sort.
Speaker 17: Of thing, yes, yes, not too light, but not you not the big stone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like a decorative pebble types thing. So you would probably put maybe fifty millimeters two inches of decorative pebble down. Anything less than that it would be hard to get cover. So let's let's assume that you're putting fifty millimeters down, Okay, so to be seven by five, which is seven seven times five equals thirty five times point oh five, which is one point seventy five. So if you asked him to deliver two cubic meters of stones, that would be around Now, two cubic meters is not a small pile, by the way, So an average eight by four trailer, so an eight or two point four by one point two trailer with a reasonable upstand on it will take about a cubic meter, so it would be two trailer loads of metal or these days they often will deliver those sorts of landscaping supplies in one cubic meter bags. So if you got two of those bags dropped off that would give you enough to cover that area about fifty millimeters deep.
Speaker 17: Yeah, yeah, I think I'll get him to deliver it.
Speaker 3: And oh yeah, and then I'm thinking this would be a great job for a young nephew or grandson or something like that to barrow that around because there'll be a little bit of work involved in that too.
Speaker 17: Oh yes, yes, yes, well worth you know, for them to deliver. Yeah, absolutely, saying oh, you can hire a trailer for thirty dollars, you know, And I said, I said, do I have to do all the work to load all the stone?
Speaker 3: I know they'll load it, but it's the unloading which is the hardbit. So yeah, yeah, I'd probably look at getting someone to give you a hand at the other end with a wheelbarrow and a shovel. And also when you do that, when you clear that area, make sure you put down some weed mat underneath the stone. That awesome, perfect, Yeah, two cubic meters will get you there. Okay, okay, no trouble at all. Nice to check see. Then I wait, one hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call. Ray A very good morning to you.
Speaker 7: Oh, good morning, we've got a downstairs tiled shower which we've just replaced, and the tiler and breaking out the existing tiles damaged the pipe that coast on the outlet down the drain. Yes, he got a plumber and who instead of putting a straight piece of pipe in which was normally, he put a pipe with a bend, a vertical bend in it. I guess it was easy to access the point. So we haven't been able to use the shower for a couple of weeks off and strive, And yesterday we used the shower and we found that the water didn't run away as quickly as it should. Then we understand that it's because it's got a vertical bend there the water. We ran it for about five minutes and it pulled about one centimeter on the floor of the shower before running away. Is that acceptable?
Speaker 3: It's not uncommon to have water build up. You know that in the end of the volume of water coming out of the shower heater is greater than what can quickly get through through the trap and out. I suppose the issue would be if you had a shower, Let's say you do a three minute shower for example, and at the end of that time you've found that you've got two or three centimeters of water, or it's getting to the point where it might overflow the hob, then that's probably an issue. If it's a small amount of water, it's not ideal, but it might not be the end of the world. I suppose the thing to do would be to get an assurance from the plumber that long term you're not going to have any issues with that. Ideally, you want the water to get away as quickly as possible. And the damage to the existing was that to the waste water outlet? Was that with what got broken?
Speaker 15: Right?
Speaker 7: He was in jack cammering the tiles out that jackamer went through the pipe.
Speaker 3: Right, did you I'm always a little bit cautious around those sorts of repair, you know, where you can't see it later on, and particularly is it on in a concrete slab or yeah, it would have been yeah, yeah, okay.
Speaker 7: And I saw them put concrete encasement around it.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Did they test the line.
Speaker 7: So they put water down it? They put water down it?
Speaker 15: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, Typically for testing what you would do is you'd put a plug in the line, right so to block it off and then fill the line with water and make sure that it holds water.
Speaker 7: No, they didn't do that.
Speaker 3: That in my mind, that wouldn't be an unreasonable thing to ask the contractor to do, because chances are your shower is one of the lowest outlets, right, so if you if there's an inspection junction outside, you could take that inspection cap off, install a plug or a bung into the line, and then fill the shower until you see the water coming up because obviously it can't escape, so it will come up. And then you fill that. That will mean that where the junction is, that connection is then fully saturated. It's underwater. And so if the level in the shower recedes, let's say over a two hour period, then you know that there's a leak somewhere, and I'd be I would always be concerned around that junction. So I think doing a test is not an unreasonable thing to ask.
Speaker 7: But a general water on the bottom at full bore is probably not a big issue. I don't think it's probably not the most desirable, but.
Speaker 3: No, it probably isn't. And I you know, sometimes we just have to be a bit pragmatic around these things, right, So no, that's probably not an issue.
Speaker 11: But I thought I.
Speaker 7: Had was to change the shower head to a less flow.
Speaker 3: I mean, look for a number of reasons, that's not a bad idea. I mean, and to be fair, number of new shower heads now are actually they're they're restricted in some way, so they don't allow the same volume of water. Should still be a comfortable shower in terms of water efficiency, Yes, it's a good idea to have a efficient Have you got.
Speaker 7: One time for one more question?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 15: Sure.
Speaker 7: We've got an engineered large bench top in our kitchen. It's a black black colored and yesterday my wife put a very hot cup on it and it made a white mark yep. And then I got some silly me got some arm just cleaner, yeah yeah, and I've tried to remove it. First of all, I use method SPIRITSTO. I used some cleaner, and the cleaner took the dullness of the area, the black area, and there's probably a two hundred mil sort of skirkle where I've tried to take the mark away, but it's sort of flattened the color, and I'm wondering how I can bring that color backer. The very simple thing I thought about was keeping a tin and nugget and.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, right, right, right.
Speaker 3: The best thing to do is to there are a couple of companies out there that specialize in that sort of remediation. As it happens, not a similar incident happened close to home, in fact, in my home, and so when I reached out and went to there's a couple of companies around. There's people like bench top Doctor, for example, who will come and do repairs to benchtops. Leave it to the professionals, because I think anything you probably try and do yourself, will you know, worsen it rather than use that company In the end, I didn't. I've used them on other jobs. So there's there's people that specialize in stone. There's people that specialize in if you know who installed the stone in the first place, go back to them. They've probably got contacts for repairs and remediation. But I think something like this it is really a professional job. So have a scout around. I've used guys who do acrylics, for example, but bench stops get a professional and back after the break question of a building nature, we are more than happy to talk about that. Oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call here at News Talk s DBC you with people wolf Camp resident Builder.
Speaker 4: A little bit.
Speaker 3: Later on in the program, we have the delightful Recline Past from eight thirty this morning. So if you've got questions of a entomological I eat the Wonderful world of bugs or a gardening nature then you can call us around eight thirty this morning. Bit of an update from the Olympics as well to answer the most recent question text why is there no mention of Emma Tweg on the silver medal? Well, the good news is is that Francesca Rudkin has secured an interview with said Emma Twig and they will be talking during Francesca's show, which starts at nine o'clock this morning. So there you go, a live interview. Oh W eight one hundred and eighty ten eighty. If you've got a question we've been talking about. We've got talking a little bit about power tools at the beginning of the program and really around safety and what's sort of an adequate a minimum level of safety in terms of ensuring that if somebody who's unfamiliar with them, or if a child comes into your workspace, what precautions can there be. Now, I'm very much of the attitude that if you're the one doing the job, and this is whether you're a contractor, you're responsible for the environment and for controlling that. If you're a homeowner like most of us are, and we're doing work around the house, then it becomes our responsibility. I think the person doing the job to ensure that the environment is safe, and that includes taking sensible precautions.
Speaker 4: Around power tools.
Speaker 3: If you and all of us, most of us would have done this over the years. You're doing a job at home and there might be small children floating around, There might be people who are unfamiliar with power tools around, so what are sensible precautions to ensure that they don't either out of curiosity or lack of knowledge, inadvertently turn on a power tool, cut themselves, hurt themselves in any way. But ultimately, I think it always comes down to you being in control of the environment, you setting the standards for that. So we've had a whole number of texts and calls around safety switches and one person who had like a complete power override in their workshop so that they could simply flip one switch and kill all of the power or deenergize. This is a new word that I learn this week when I was talking to some guys who were doing taking overhead power lines and connected or disconnecting those and doing new underground power in a street, and I had to give them access to the house for the electrical inspector to come through and do a certificate at the end to make sure that the work done by the contractor was safe and compliant. And so, yeah, the guy was talking normally. I don't know, it's just my old language. I would say you kill the power, right that means you've turned it off, But no, you de energize the power. These days, I guess for reasonable reasons. Talking about killing things is not that nice. But anyway, that was a new word that I let And the other day actually on this show, we were talking about electrical safety and electrical safety certificates and what sort of documentation is required by people undertaking this work in terms of at the end of the work of documents will you should you receive from the contractor. So the team that was working in the street and the house that I had to give them access to, they had my email and so at the end of the job they completed the work. On the Tuesday, they had the electrical safety inspector come and inspect the work done by the main contractor, and then from both of those people I received documentation the next day, one which was sort of a record of inspection for high risk work i eat.
Speaker 4: Connecting a new.
Speaker 3: Mains to the house, and another one was a certificate of compliance from the electricians that did the work did the actual installation of the connection of the new power to the meet aboard. Both of them sent me documentations, got their registration number on It describes the type of work done. One signed off by the electrical inspector and one signed off by the electricians that actually did the work. So that's the sort of basic documentation that you should get after electrical work is undertaken. This instance, it's high risk because it involves the mains, but regardless of what you do, you should get a COOC from your electrician for any electrical work done on your property. Oh eight, one hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call. If you've got a question of a building nature, you can give us a call, a quick one on a text on the showers. We were talking about that with ray just before the news. So a shower has been refurbished. During the process, the tiler seemingly, while they were chipping away at the tiles, ended up breaking the wastewater pipe, and so the plumber had to come and install, make a new connection to the broken wastewater pipe, and then do the trap install. The waste tiler's finished the job, water doesn't seem to flow as much as it used to, and I'm saying, well, I think it wouldn't be unreasonable to ask them to test that line to make sure that they also have sealed that junction. So again, if you're doing a new build, you're doing renovations, Council, as part of their inspection for the waste water lines, will ask the plumbers to install a bun or a plug into the line and then you fill that line to make sure that it's holding water. And it's quite a simple thing. You fill it up to the you can see where the water is, you can mark that on the pipe, and then if over a period of an hour or two that drops, well, you know you've got a leak somewhere. Really simple, so fix it before you close it in. I'm just wondering whether they haven't done that on this particular job. Oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty lines are open. Oh and a lot of talk about power tools and safety. So more than happy to talk tools and tool selection and safety. That there is that trepidition at trepidation rather when if it's unfamiliar to you, but you want to start out down that sort of I'm going to own some power tool journeys journey, then how do you start? You know that if you buy a table saw, you've never used one in your life. You decide that you've got a project that you want to use one for and you're unfamiliar with them, or perhaps you've never used one at all, and so you bring it home, you unwrap it, you put it together. It's got to be just slightly terrifying the first time you turn it on. So where do you go to learn? I would suggest you should spend some time with someone who's competent with them and understand the processes before you had to go yourself. Oh Wa eight one hundred and eighty ten eighty. Will take a short break, we'll be back in just a moment. Your news talk said be.
Speaker 4: Fascinating.
Speaker 3: Texts from Michael just very briefly, morning, Pete. I'm an electrical engineer and love doing work at home. I've made a foot operated powerboard with COC and AC to run my table saw another electrical power tool, so that i always have both hands on the workpiece or the tool without having to remove a hand to switch the tool off. Especially the table chairs from Michael. Interesting approach. I'm fascinated by that.
Speaker 4: I'm not.
Speaker 3: I'm just trying to think of all of the time that I used the table saw. I would I would finish using you know, I've cut something, or I've done a rebayto or something like that, and I've finished, I've removed the timber from the saw, put that aside, and then I'll reach down and turn the saw off. That's that's enough.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 3: Like, I don't need to keep my I don't want to keep my hands by the blade to be fair. And then have and then think foot control. Look, I can see the advantage of it, and I've certainly worked in factories where we've had foot control, for example, for things like guillotines and that sort of thing. They are really nifty, interesting, fascinating. Thank you Michael for that. Ernest Good morning to you, sir.
Speaker 12: Good morning, sir morning. I'm working on a nineteen sixties half at the moment from my home, and I'm redoing the kitchen, and last night I started taking the sort of lino plastic flooring, which underneath that was a dark brown board which I know is masonite, and then underneath that is the floor in absolutely beautiful conditions. However, the masonite has been staple down and you can break the masonright off and you're left with the staples. Most of the staples, like four four out of five will come out, and I found using a pair of vice grips and a plank underneath them and sort of pulled them out that way. But some of them don't come out. I'm just wondering if there is a neck to it. Like I tried tapping the staple before putting it out, but I felt bad about doing that. So some of the staples bake off, so you've got two pins sticking up the any way of coping with it better?
Speaker 3: And part of me is just smiling from year to ear because I did a job exactly like that, but just between you and I, I did it when I was a much younger man, And to be fair, I'd had a big night out the night before, and my job the next day was to pull staples out of the floor. So spending a day on your hands and knees pulling staples out of the floor with just the most massive hangover was not pleasant, So I understand how difficult that job is. Look to be fair, if you're achieving four out of five, you're doing better than I did. My performance might have been slightly impaired at the time, but in the end, I think what I found and over the years that if you can get them out, that's great. Tapping them to sort of release the tension or the grip that they have, because the staples rust a little bit over time, right, so if you can loosen that bond by giving them a small tap. The hard thing is, because they're not particularly strong, you tend to flatten a head, and in fact, if you hit them too hard, you'll create a crease in the in the wire and that'll just make it more fragile. So it's a small tap. If you really wanted to, you could try soaking the floor to make the timber wet, but I don't know that it'll have a significant impact. What I found is that I got most of the staples out like you have, and then the ones that broke off and that I couldn't get any purchase on anymore, I would simply drive them down with a nail punch. And in fact, the ones that I missed once the sander went over them. It's you're talking about a millimeter, right, You kind of hardly even notice that if that's your intention is to stand the floor.
Speaker 12: Yeah, yeah, it is my intention. And I wondered about that that I had visions of it ripping up the sand paper.
Speaker 3: No, don't worry about that. And the slightest can I How much of the removal of your ex lino have you done?
Speaker 12: I've done about a square meter or so.
Speaker 3: Okay, there, have you done an asbestos test?
Speaker 4: The what s an asbestos?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 12: No, this is a wood product. Yeah, and I think it's called Mason Night.
Speaker 3: And look just it would be remissive me if I didn't raise this right because I'm I'm aware that in certain types of lino underlays and certain types of those that may snite board, there may well be asbestos containing material or ACM. And so before you go and do lots more work. Certainly, I hope that you're wearing a mask and those sorts of things, but I would suggest that you take a sample of it, send it off to an industrial laboratory. And there are lots of them that are or there are more of them available. Our testing is not uncommon, and just have for your own peace of mind, because even if during the removal, you know, if you're creating dust that's going to stay in the house, then you've effectively spread those asbestos fibers throughout the house. So have it tested before you do too much work would be my recommendation. What you do is up to you, but that I feel that I need to tell you that thank you for that. Yeah, no trouble at all. But yeah, and once it's done, I think if you've got most of them out and the last ones you sand, and if you don't like the look of them when you've sanded them, you could punch them and fill that and that'll be fine.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I'm not that fussy about it. And you know they're like centers about ten so the hundreds.
Speaker 3: I am painfully aware of the work that you are doing. Someone has text through and said use pencers, but I actually think that by using the vice script you might be onto a winner there because the pencers, because they're designed to cut through material, will often end up there's a really fine juggling act with a set of pencers to get enough pressure to get purchase on the material so that you can leave it out. But if you press too hard on the pencer, you'll just cut through the staples. So I think using.
Speaker 12: Idea, yeah, I went to the princers initially, that's exactly what happened. Is it actually cut off a lot of the staples anyway, Okay, thank you, I'll try doing the tap bit.
Speaker 7: I think you're.
Speaker 3: Thanks all right, much appreciate it. You take care, thank you very much. All the best, Bob. Then that is one completely unpleasant job, as if you you know often so look at this text right there you go again with your over the top caution, so annoying. Have you ever been with someone who's died as a result of exposure to asbestos? You probably haven't, right, So the risk of exposure is real. So it's a sensible precaution in my mind. If you're going to spend hours getting down close to a material that you're going to break up and the fibers become friable as an airborne then I think it's a sensible precaution to test for asbestos. And I don't believe that that's over the top so annoying. Yeah, right, okay O eight hundred eighty ten eighty. We're going to track down Rudd, which is a bit of a challenge right now. So Rudd, time to go to the studio Sunshine I eight hundred eighty ten eighty. If you've got a question for Ridd, you can text through your questions through as well. Eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call. Just on that staple room. There are staple removal tools like a little wedge that you can get underneath the harp of the staple or the staples go up, across and back down, so if you can get under there, sometimes you can leave them up if you can get under there. Often with that type of work, where the staple is held down the board, there's actually the remnants of the board trapped underneath the staple, hence using pliers or pincers to get to the top of the staple. I am so intimately involved with the removal of staples that it disturbs me that I know this much about doing them.
Speaker 4: I eight hundred eighty.
Speaker 3: Here we go remove the staples and breads by rocking back and forth, and then they break off below the surface. Interesting technique, not bad. People have obviously shared my pain with doing this particular job. I eight hundred eighty ten eighty. We'll take short break. We've got rid coming up in just a moment, just before we jump into the garden with Red climb Past who's on standby. I mentioned earlier that during the course of the week several discussions, been to a few events and that sort of thing, and ended up having a really good session with a young engineer Storm who has done a lot of research on ventilation in particular. So it's my intention sometime in the next couple of weeks to have her join me on the program to talk about ventilation again. It's one of those hot button topics at the moment because people are talking about H one in terms of the energy efficiency and the insulation requirements, and then people are going, well, because we're putting too much insulation at the houses, that's why they're overheating, which is not true, by the way, and we're starting to get understandably, but more focused on ventilation and air quality and ventilation requirements and so on. So it was delightful actually to sit with her and talk for a couple of hours about insulation, insulation, insulation and ventilation, particularly ventilation and ventilation standards and what systems work, and negative pressure and positive pressure and so on and so forth. So we'll take a deep dive into ventilation in the coming weeks. Righty, oh, we have Rid on standby. Rid's okay, we've got root, we don't have rit, we don't have rot right now, we might swap over and do that a slightly different way. If you've got any questions for it, then the lines are open and the number to call is eight hundred and eighty ten eighty. You can text through as well. A couple of people have already text through about Slimy Nostoc. Don't know anything about that. That's why Rid's on the show spraying roses with once they're pruned. We'll talk to Rid about that as well. Just on the asbestos, which was the last thing that we talked about on the program, let me just sort this out there.
Speaker 4: We go.
Speaker 3: On the we're talking about asbestos pete where we see floor sanders and we check every single floor that we uplift, and about five percent contain asbestos. While the thing would be if you want to be in that five percent and potentially expose yourselves to something that is going to have in detrimental impact on your health in the future. Right, we're going to get rid sort it out. If you would like to call and talk with Ridd, the lines are open. Might take the break now and then we'll come back, get Rid up and then we're into it.
Speaker 4: Here at Newstalk SEDB.
Speaker 1: For more from the Resident Builder with Peter Wolfcamp. Listen live to News Talk said Be on Sunday mornings from Sex, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio