Speaker 1: You're listening to the Marcus Lush Nights podcast from News talks'd be gritting's welcome.
Speaker 2: How are you?
Speaker 3: My name is Marcus hid on Midnight to No. I'll keep you up there with the rugby and the league. They're both on here. It'll twelve. That's a brief. There's flooding. This road's closed. Over it, No, not over it, across it. Fancy me saying I'm over it. I'm across that south. There's weather updates. You'll tell me, I'll tell you. I'll also go to the website of Waka Kotahi and let you know what's going on. Oh yeah, so there's a diversion. There's a wakakata heav it ends heed Ta if you like. But there's a situation with a diversion. I'll bring all the details about that. You might be a truck driver, yeah, get in touch if you are. If you've got details about this. It's across the comiss the major closure. That's because of cold. Weare the cold snap snap, cold snap down the country. So here's what we've got. I'll look clicking it on it now as we talk. Duro slip Stato twenty nine is closed with Statoe. We had Tapoi and Statoy six ton Eco indeed two it is in place. Please allow at least an extra ninety minutes time. I don't like how to tell you how how much you should allow, but it's fair. It's probably what they should be doing. So you gonna go around de la Harmurana round that way, I think probably, or Keddy falls that's the way. That's the diversion that I'll be affecting some of the truckers also coming up and down the country. Thank you for your service. Bang Mother's Day Sound Sunday. Sometimes on Mother's Day, before a Mother's Day, I like to do a Mother's Day related topic. No idea tonight what that topic is. I might crowdsource it. If you think you've got a great topic about mother's Oh yeah. I always like to go kind of for the worst mother and those sorts of stories. However, when I'm saying things like the worst mother's story, one of their mother told you that, you know, if you need that, you'd end up. I don't want terrible, terrible mother stories because they're tragic. So yeah, I'm wanting a topic that can celebrate the diversity of motherhood, but not be too depressing on a Friday. That's just a suggestion. So if you want to there, if you want a crowdsource the Mother's Day topic takes that through to me or call it, and also to as far as the weather, you've got the updates on that currently. Let me know what's happening with the weather where you're after there as flooding. It's kind of quite a floody time because all the autumn leaves are clogging up the drains. Don't get me started on autumn leaves. I hate them, hate how naked the trees look in winter, and I don't like I don't like leaves on the ground, wet leaves, don't like them at all. Makes the whole city looks like it needs sweeping. Am I alone on that? Perhaps, So don't get me started on the trees we plant. But yes, that's why it floods because all the drains are full full. So you might want to say something about that. God, I'm here for that, brilliant let's be hearing from you. Eight hundred and eighty ten eighty and nine to nine two to text. We've got the drewer versus the blues. Blues are leading we've also got the Knights and the Titans. The Knights are up to nil all sellar dwellers. Also the Rabbits and the Broncos. Later on today also too, we've got this Cosmos four eight two which is about to re enter. That's just space junk. It's pretty amazing story, that one. It's been a new orbit for more than fifty years. The Venus Lander, so I was designed to go to Venus. And because of that, because it was meant to go to Venus, it's built tough. It was built to survive the passage through to Venus, so it might survive reentry. It might get through the atmosphere intact. Now that's it exciting that hits you on the head, you'll know about it. It'll come at your front angle, I suppose. So it won't hit you on the head, would it? Would it hit you on the head, probably hit you on the Torso wouldn't hit you on the head, would it? Ah, it could. It's more likely to hit you side on. So this unit that's got a blog about it says, I doubt it will be a hard impact because the parachute, the parachute deployment system probably won't work after fifty three years because the batteries are dead. So it's gonna be quite exciting on its way down. It didn't get to Venus, it didn't get out of it. If it's basic orbit, they kind of orbit around the Earth before they jettison off. Yeah, so it's been dragging around there for years, fifty years. It's coming back to Earth the next day or two. Time's up Cosmos for this could be a big story. I'd like to hear what Trump's going to say about it, Bob Marcus welcome.
Speaker 4: Yeah, not on the subject of flooding and that. But I just thought, you know that my friend is down in the Antarctica with the New Zealand Army and believe it or not, the plane's broken down and they can't return.
Speaker 3: Is that one of the new ones is.
Speaker 4: They're stuck down there. There's been they were supposed to make on Thursday. You know, they're trying to get past today, but that didn't happen either. So but so not out was in the next three weeks. They don't get out because it's winter.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, And that's okay, And they won't get out because there won't be the visibility. It's not that the because I think they've got a landing strip that's on the ice that should be fine. But yeah, okay, that's interesting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, So I don't know great deal about it, but I know that because it's my my daughter's husband. I mean, he couldn't get home. The other subject quickly was you know how the government's making all these cuts on everything. I hope, like here they don't turn around and ask for a pay rise this year because they do all hell breaking.
Speaker 3: That's a very good point. Hey, just back to the army. Do you know what they would were there?
Speaker 4: Well, this is the other bulls up. They went down to do some engineering where because he's an engineer. But when they got there, that job wasn't set up or available to go. So they ended up chopping line our floors and relaying the liner and the thing that's what they went down to do didn't happen.
Speaker 3: That's crazy because you think to say, hey, don't come down, we haven't got the work ready for you in time. Sorry out there, Maybe come down next year. That's terrible.
Speaker 4: They're going to go back down and do the job. But because they're engineering experts or whatever they are, he ended up chopping line of a accommodation thing with a spade getting.
Speaker 5: Ready to be related.
Speaker 3: What a waste.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they could have sent me down to do that.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I quite like to get a spade underliner. That's probably quite satisfying. So they're supposed to be come back Thursday. The part hasn't arrived.
Speaker 4: And they're not quatching when they're coming back now, yeah.
Speaker 3: Because I would imagine the challenge would be planes lending. They're not planes taking off there. But it's one of the new it's one of those new American hercules, a the new ones that's gone down.
Speaker 4: Okay, it's broken down already. It's ridiculous.
Speaker 3: This ridiculous, Bob. That's good and tell thanks. So that's breaking news here people. If anyone else knows anything about that, let us know. And we want your mother's stay topic for tonight. Thank you, Marcus. How come we cannot get candy floss like we used to? I think we can. I'm sure we get candy floss. People are mad for it. It's all over the internet. People doing different colored stuff. They have plenty with a state hurry. Ninety nine clothes because of a slip warm and eighteen degrees. Every rain will lesson northerly turning west. Thank you, get in touch. Hittle twelve. So someone said there's long delays on State Highway one. I don't quite know what they are. If you've got some Oh that was at seven o'clock, Cody Marcus, welcome, Hey.
Speaker 6: Last caller there talking about there's obviously it's about the weather, but talking about flying to Antarctica with the American planes. What does he mean by that exactly?
Speaker 5: Oh, I mean like there's no planes on.
Speaker 6: Standby to go to Antarctica at the moment.
Speaker 5: I can assure you're that.
Speaker 3: So New Zealand replaced. Did we not replace our hercules with brand new kind of hercules recently?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: We did. Yeah, yeah we did. I fly them.
Speaker 6: Ok we don't know any planes really go Antarctica at the moment. We don't fly down in the winter. And Okay, there might have be an American one sitting in christ Church.
Speaker 5: Ready to go something. But it's certainly not easy on one. Our ones are good to go. We're not flying down there again until October this year.
Speaker 3: There's not one down there currently.
Speaker 5: No, No, there's nothing.
Speaker 6: There's three and I say there's four in New Zeland and one on the way back from Europe all in awkand sorry, would it.
Speaker 3: Be one of the Americans?
Speaker 6: Must be I don't know what flies they called there to see.
Speaker 5: Secular?
Speaker 3: Would that be on flight radar?
Speaker 7: Not?
Speaker 3: If it's a plation, that would be.
Speaker 6: But I don't think anything really flies down at this time of year. And this is the MIDI back.
Speaker 3: Well that's what he said. They're supposed to come back and they haven't, so there might be one down there were supposed to come back yesterday. Would that be right?
Speaker 6: It's pretty late in the season.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we sort of.
Speaker 6: We go from about October to March, and that's about as late as we go because then to daylight.
Speaker 3: If he said his daughter's husbands down there, he will be down there. They want if he's in the army.
Speaker 5: Yeah he could be.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they do send a lot of cappin, doesn't it down there.
Speaker 3: He's an engineer, just so he must have gone down on some plane and there must be some plane. If there's a plane.
Speaker 5: Down, I just want to do that. It's not a New Zealand one that the broken in the ad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I appreciate it's important, Cody. I appreciate you clarity on that. Thank you, that's no nonsense, and that's good. Thank you, that's great. So it's not a key. We plane if anyone knows anything more about what it will be. John Marcus, good evening, Hello Marke.
Speaker 8: This is probably a bit of trivia. But Mother's Day. I was talking to my fifty seven year old son today and I said, now, what are you going to do for your mother on Mother's Day? He said, well, I don't know, and I said, well, you'd better buy some flowers. He said, I know, I'll do a sand saucer. No, now have you can you remember doing a sand saucer?
Speaker 3: Was he being ironic?
Speaker 8: He was being it.
Speaker 4: Had a few.
Speaker 8: Drinks, I think, what but I'd still think he will do a sand saucer.
Speaker 3: He sounds like a good He sounds like a good he sounds like a good sword.
Speaker 9: Yeah he is.
Speaker 8: But his mother's in hospital. So he's going to take the sand saucer to the hospital on Monday to give it to his mother.
Speaker 3: I've never done one. I've kind of gotten no idea what they are. But you just kind of put flowers in sand. What's the point.
Speaker 8: No, do you mean you've never heard of one?
Speaker 3: Marcus, Well, it was not something I did in my day.
Speaker 8: In my day, well back in the day, at every A and P show, they would have a section in the in the show where you could enter a competition and for the best sand saucer, and every child in the district would enter a sand saucer, and it was usually a pudding plate fall of sand, and you'd have a big flower in the middle, and you'd have little flowers radiating up from that that all had to be very uniform, and round the outside there would be front little fronds of ferns. Now, I'm sure there are a few listeners tonight that I'm hoping I'm sort of.
Speaker 10: With you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it was it was like entry level floral arrangement, but easier and I suppose easy to transport.
Speaker 8: Oh yes, yes, And I don't know, it's just that you were talking about Mother's Day and then my son ranged me and and he mentioned sand sources, and I thought, oh, I'm sure Marcus's listeners. Yes, So it's just a little bit of trivia for you.
Speaker 3: She is your wife, your son's mother. Is she the sort of person that will be coming out of hospital quite soon?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 8: Oh yes, no, no, she's she's got cancer and it's in her spine.
Speaker 3: It sounds that sounds like a really tough thing, doesn't No.
Speaker 8: No, No, she's she's she's had It started off with breast cancer in two thousand and then we were fine for about seventeen years, and that flared up again in twenty sixteen, and okay, it's got progressively worse. But she needed to go to hospital to get things sorted away bit with different medications and things. But now she is in Nurse Mord. Oh, yes, yes, and they're marvelous. She's in there for two weeks. They call it respite care. I think it's the cares more for me than for her because I've been her caregiver for the last sixty years. But no, no, she'sn't really lapping up her stay in Nurse Mord. But on Sunday, my twenty seven year old sun David, he's going to take her a sad saucer loving that.
Speaker 3: Okay, we'll talk more about those, John, So that's a good way to talk. Well that, thank you for that. Twenty eight Oh gosh, Newcastle Fording over the Gold Coast Titans. That's the situation. I bring a score on the Brugby with the Blues too. Also before too long. It's just moments away gone Ben than I thought tonight actually factually Kettle twelve. My name is Marcus. Welcome, We've got thunder warming at thunder warnings for everywhere. Basically it's going to come down like it's never come down before. Get in touch, as I say, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty nine text Marcus driving from Cambridge to Papamagus. Just got to the top of the Camos, turned around by the police seid the slipp has washed out the entire road. By the way, there's a checkpoint outside the Northern today too. If you're in a vcago. Very pleasant officer got me to count from one to ten, which I did. You don't mis surround those sorts of situations, do you, anyway? Kerrie Marcus welcome.
Speaker 12: Hey, the Ross markers say, I'm driving this jolly bus through five and to rote To and then back down to Warrington. So sound of it.
Speaker 3: Are you driving the intercity?
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 12: Yeah, So I'll be there about about ten past eleven or eleven o'clock once I leave Tiro. Make them a way through stay high five through the Monakers say, should be into routed and then from there out of Rope to her through Why Tapu through to through to topor ran about called past eleven just out of Roade, so ten but rough, isn't it?
Speaker 3: Are you down in Baker? Just down?
Speaker 12: So I'm coming down. I'm actually on the why Cutter Expressway at the moment. Wait, do you tune around Hamilton.
Speaker 3: Once you get to Topa, do you tune around and come back?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 12: No, no, So I'll go to Tope and then I'll just carry on on State Hillway one, making my way down to Warrington for drop off at a half out.
Speaker 3: Six okay in the morning, because I didn't think that inter city went today. Is that standard or is it just something.
Speaker 12: Smare on the night run Marcus, we do all stops, we do we do all stops, so we go into all the main stops like Hamilton, Topa, Arms, the north Men Inwrington, all stops in between. So this is the only run at night that we do all the stop.
Speaker 3: I just always thought it never. I just never thought it went today. I just always thought it went through Hamilton, Hamilton, Topell that way.
Speaker 12: Yeah, Manday, it's a long Yeah, that's a long cruise.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, look, we'll keep your data with So it's raining heavily, now, is it.
Speaker 12: No, not really like a little bit of a drivel. But what I'll do, Marcus is I'll give you a call before twelve o'clock and how I went on you.
Speaker 3: Let me know, keep us updated and Marcus, send sources a lovelier country school thing. Some are very pretty, Marcus. My mom loves you. Used to listen every night. She passed away last October, aged eighty seven. I'm fifty for my first Mother's Day without mother, without mum. Very sad. And then there's a there's an emoji of her face with water pouring out of the eyes removing very moving back at your thunder warning for all of it. Well, some of the North Islands sort of. I went to the were down Toyong. I don't to know that area. It moves south from about eight forty. This is about to happen in about ten minutes. It's going to hit your big people. Evening, Spike, Marcus.
Speaker 12: Welcome, hey, Marcus, good even how are you good?
Speaker 3: Thank you, Spike. Nice to hear from you.
Speaker 14: Good good, hey you.
Speaker 15: I'm just on my way back from the Toner on to road, the rover where I live and the rode from the Prematorium to piece Pass School. There's pretty much underwater when I came through there about twenty five minutes ago. And you've got a job to see the white lines and the caps eyes on it.
Speaker 3: You think it should you think it should be closed.
Speaker 15: I gotta go careful, So I think by now I've just got to Nongataha and there's a little bit of rain but nothing major. But there's a bit of surface flooding there just outside the new building development and you were hit a few patches of water across the road and then obviously it's over the top of the car and you can't see anything. So yeah, it's gonna be honest way, I think, so.
Speaker 3: Just to I don't know the geography that well, you're on State Highway thirty six down from pies Par Is that right, that's correct?
Speaker 16: Yeah?
Speaker 15: And where you you didn't know where orapy was. That's a little side road that takes you from just before you get to pies Par and loops around and comes out at Redder Park Golf Club just economy.
Speaker 3: Of I can see that now. So where was the bed funding is the crematorium just as you get to pies par Is.
Speaker 14: It it is.
Speaker 15: Yeah, there's a long straight road from the Pies Pass school, yeah to the crematorium. Yeah, and that was that was pretty well flooded, you know, all running down and every so often there's water across the road and you can't see it until you're on forty K's.
Speaker 3: Any sign of the emergency services?
Speaker 17: Nothing, No, not as yet.
Speaker 15: Okay, so there's been one slash, one smash there just coming into Nongata on the oh, there's a hairpin bend right on the corner of Nonga Taha and there's a car that's pretty wrecked white when I can't see what it is.
Speaker 3: But yeah, so just to get this right, it was raining quite heavily at pies Pa, but at long A Taha not as bed now, but it's on its way, Is it what you suspect?
Speaker 15: I think?
Speaker 9: So, yeah.
Speaker 15: I just she just about coming into.
Speaker 16: Road a ruin now.
Speaker 15: And it's very little brain, but.
Speaker 6: It has been here.
Speaker 3: And I think it's coming. I think it's coming back in half an hour, really heavily spike. That's according to the sudden warning from the mid Service. So you stand by people I'll check the road closes. It's not closed, but you well you want to be avoiding driving tonight round that part of the country twenty one away from nine Ben Marcus welcome, Hey, Bray.
Speaker 16: I'm sorry I mistapped to show because I've been watching the Blues and the Drew.
Speaker 3: How's the scorn?
Speaker 16: The score is not how good I was opening to be. I thought the Drew would win against Steves follows that home. But it's thirty four to the Blues and it's zero to the drewer and super so not good. Not good for us who say people down here down south.
Speaker 3: Oh, I see, you're just you're just supporting the Drawer for selfish, your own reason.
Speaker 13: I got one eye.
Speaker 16: I've got one eye on it and the other eye on well. I should be on news to ZP. But you know, how'd it go? Hey? Talking to rain? Though I heard the followed before you. Yeah, man, we hear the rain today down here. And this is after me feeling for my plants and giving them a bit of a water last night, thinking it wasn't going to rain today. It's been so good after the big old flood and then next minute ten o'clock this morning, I was a working smoke o time, and my work colleague said, hey, your window cars are down and it's starting to spit. So I was quite happy for him. I really appreciate him. But he had about four o'clock when I was starting to bug her off. It's just absolutely absolutely like, yeah, chi leat God. And here it was a big old down for And then when I was driving home, yeah, windows on, window workers on speed too, and and looking at headlights on what sort of plant?
Speaker 3: What sort of plants?
Speaker 13: Ben, Well, I've got some brussels.
Speaker 16: I'm growing Brussels sprout. I know it's a bit late in the season, but and we've had it. We we had one frost. All my tobacco plants have put them away because yeah, they don't like the frosts. But the Brussels sprouts. I'm doing Brussels sprouts because because I hated them as a kid and love them as in the O and because my kids hate them. So I'm gonna I'm gonna be the nasty father. It's going to feed them to you.
Speaker 3: Can you can threaten them and say these are I've gone to all the effort to homegrow these. You should eat them.
Speaker 16: This is you know, absolute guilt, guilt.
Speaker 3: Them into it. Being good on your nineteenth away from nine not happening severe thunderstorms on their way. People. She's all on, it's going to be a big deal. It's happening very soon. Thirty four zero. The blues over the draw a free wet and if it is that super free wet, there two people. Marcus. My mother used to tell me when I was a kid to put my head in a draw. The woodpecker is coming.
Speaker 6: What does that mean?
Speaker 3: Put your head in a draw? The woodpecker's coming. What a great expression. What does that mean? Marcus? Come along to the way. Kay a school pet Dawn october To said, great display of sand sauces graded by children and judged by senior local ladies. Cheers rowing Southland, marcause I made a beautiful sand saucer with a broken mirror for a pond for primary school. By the time I got to school that was ruined by the Wellington wind Gavin Canterbury Those who notice hees no longer in Wellington after his sand saucer was destroyed. I like the word. It sounds like a heavy metal song, does it. Sand saucer kind of cross between sorcerer and sandstorm. I wonder when I can tell a call of that. Put your head in a draw, the wood pickers coming. Once that tonight, But one day I'll say that, put your hidden the draw, the wood pickers coming. How are you people? What's happening? There are flight disruptions, always flight disruptions. There is surface flooding and white our road. Videos on social media showed cars moving through the water. Get amongst people eight hundred and eighty ten eighty nine to nine to detext kind of a mating footage on Daily Mail, one of the Fox News presenters has tipped over mid mid sentence. Cameron Kinsey feely shocking looking footage of that. The other host didn't handle it well either. I'm not entirely sure what would cause someone to do that anyway. Head of mid night, Manames Marcus, Welcome Marcus. I'm and cowodo in the eastern Bay of Plea. The rain is horrendous, so bad I cannot ring as I can hardly hear you on the radio. Similar to the night the night Mata tarfla. That's from Die. You take care Die. It's nice to take care Die, Nice to have you listening. Die there's no if there is any flooding people. By the way, I heard earlier on coming to work that someone was saying that Starship Hospital had flooded. And then I thought, wow, I remember when that building was so new. We probably had a new Starship Hospital, because it must be thirty years old. And then I thought, and don't judge me on this, but I can't help it it and I thought, what a stupid name for hospital. Marcus. I was watching Fox this afternoon when that happened. She went all vague and just fell off her chair. That's right. I don't know what that would be about, tipped over. But the co host didn't handle it all well. He completely panicked, clearly. Just he's not just an autoque jockey. Some of you might find this interesting, but in China they think that they are going to be able to use artificial intelligence to work out what cats are saying. So, yeah, they're gonna get all the data and chuck into the machine, and they reckon it might be they might be able to translate at cat's mews into human language using artificial intelligence. They've ever filed a patent, and they will convert animal vocalization into words yep. Do you want your cat talking to you? I don't have a cat, but they can be pretty persuasive around food, can't they. Well, language is just gonna make them are persuased. That would be my gut feeling on that one. I don't know if you want your cat to talk to you? Would you? If you want any animals talking to you, really get in touch. Hittle twelve one him as Marcus. Welcome Matt from Willington. Marcus. The algorithm for thirst aid is doctors abcdd D for danger, are for response is for send for help. That's your doctors, airways, breathing CPR. Can't remember the last two might be you for a refresher, Marcus. What side of the kaimis is the miror of Todonga on exactly? I didn't rememberviewed on the radio and they asked about where he was living, and he did that thing where the phone went bad. Sorry, breaking up more about this co host on Fox. No, he did front flinch. He freaked out totally, but he panicked and just didn't want to do He kept pretning on. But when what is a ghost? Someone rushed away from the side. He suddenly composed himself and went to a break. Marcus rhythm total right now makes last week's so called cycline looked like a sunshower. Anyway, a lot of people are offering me free first aid courses. I've done it twice. It was a lot, and someone's texted me meow too, thank you for that. It'd be interesting too. If they do get the cats to talk, they could bring up talk back. Yeah is that you Tiger? Hi?
Speaker 14: Marcus?
Speaker 3: Long time listen the first time caller. Oh, I can't wait for that. Never thought of that. I or cat's ringing out the radio. That's not on the list of things I thought would happened to talk back. Next Tuesday's Cat Night, we'll just be talking to cats, mind you. I suppose if the cats can talk and bring up and talk back, they would also host the show, couldn't they. Yeah, that'll be the thing that were cheap to employ. I would imagine. Yeah, that's right, Marcus, we'll let you go. You found someone else here we have Actually it's a cat. Good luck with that.
Speaker 2: Anyway.
Speaker 3: I don't think cats could talk, would they.
Speaker 2: Are?
Speaker 3: They have more chance of the whales talking than the cats or the birds. But hell, I'm here for it. I'm here for it. Just talking about that news before, the news that the Chinese are going to use AI artificial intelligence and they think that they can translate what cats are trying to say. Do we want our animals talking to us? I'm not so sure if that's a good idea, but I guess once they start talking, well, we can't really turn them off, can we. I'll have more rights. But if there's a good thing or a bad thing, so we are talking about that, it's gonna be something that's going to happen. Eight hundred and eighty to nine nine two detects. Also in honor of Mother's Day, perhaps slightly cryptic things your mother said to you that you've just realized what they were saying. I'd like the more interesting ones for those, actually, the one I particularly like, put your head in the drawer. The woodpeck is coming.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: We've got a very severe thunderstorm that's in the area between Toto and that's happening about now. There are warnings for that. By the way, was there a cell phone alert? Did you get a text from the met service? I'm curious to know about that, and if you are in ground zero, let me know how heavy it is, and if there is funding, you might be driving, you might be an uberist, you might be out and about in those areas. Whether report would be dearly required, So thanks for that. If you've got something, would love to hear from you about that. Also tonight, by the way, someone's texting me they've just done their first aid course. They say they no longer call it the recovery position.
Speaker 14: What do they call it?
Speaker 3: But yeah, people are saying it's raining extremely heavily in the Hawk's Bay and extremely heavily in Oatula at the moment, Marcus, hearing you loud and clear from Prague. We live in christ Churchen here on holiday. Go you, you pragists, be the Prague spread, won't it? Just like in sixty eight when was the Prague spring? Is it sixty eight? Get in touch, Marcus till twelve, Marcus Urgent News. Thank you for this text. It's free, well written. State Highway five near Settler's Road between and Topor and Riperoa is completely blocked. It's almost like there's a whole river that's passing over the state highway. Large debris blocking both ways north and south. Police here as well, trying to get back from topor and no luck and yes did receivers of a thunderstorm alert from Met Service just after eight pm. Hi Steve, it's Marcus. Good evening.
Speaker 18: Good evening, Marcus. First off the bat, thank you very much. Your public service announcement has solved me from having to go into a middle of a roadblock. I'm towards mathematic, going towards the guymine.
Speaker 19: So you go.
Speaker 3: I'm not well actually because that with that other road. I know you'll be right now, won't you. You know that's okay. So what are you going to do.
Speaker 7: To be fair?
Speaker 18: Probably turn around and give up on the old idea of going. So I was heading from Auckland through to Tower, but I think what I'll do is give up on it and attempt it tomorrow morning instead. So appreciate the heads up because I'm not close enough to be the problem. But also also you mentioned someone had rung and said wigwham for a goose's bridle. That that's a pretty common one. I've heard that my father in law used that even to this day. But my own father used to say when asked what's for dinner or what's on the barbecue, he would say, piggle the ill s feet and spit, which I still don't to this day know exactly what the hell it means.
Speaker 3: Hang on, I'll put both headphones on for that. He said, tickle, pickle the.
Speaker 18: Eel's feet and spit.
Speaker 15: Wow.
Speaker 18: Now, if that's not one of the weirdest ones I've ever.
Speaker 5: Heard, I don't know what is.
Speaker 3: Do you think he made that up? If you heard others say that.
Speaker 18: I've never heard it from anywhere else. I don't know if it's don't anyone else.
Speaker 3: I don't know if some of these like have you ever heard put your head in a draw the woodpecker is coming. I have heard of that, Okay, I haven't you had heard?
Speaker 18: You hadn't heard of the wigwam through the goose's bridle That I certainly have. As I said, my father in law uses that fairly regularly, and he's knocking on the door of eighty so so that age is it to a generation. But yeah, I've never heard of anyone using the one that my father had used in his day, and I just wondered if anyone else had heard it.
Speaker 3: Basically, it's quite triggering when you flesh out, when you've fled out cooking dinner and the kids ask you what's for dinner? Because normally just comes some complaint or some criticism, isn't it.
Speaker 18: Yeah, I mean it had always got a bit of a groan. That's all, Well, no, why can't you just tell us dad?
Speaker 10: You know?
Speaker 18: But no, no, that was that was always his go to.
Speaker 3: So yeah, just share with the group, tickle the eel's feet.
Speaker 18: Heck all the el seed, and spit forrey good.
Speaker 3: Appreciate that, Steve safe journeys. Someone also said, if I asked where he was going, my father would say shooting pookick o with a long handed shovel. Mother used to say when too many questions, asked why why is a crooked letter? And zenas no better? When asked what was for dinner? The reply was cold tongue and duck under the table? Or CoA museum close this week and you're an asbestos in the grand for you, Marcus. Even if we do figure out what cats are saying, it's not that they have same level of intelligence there we will be able to have conversations with them in the same way we do with other humans. It might work in some cases, but I think your job is pretty safe. Simon well, you never know. It's fast moving industry. Old cat talk ZEDB could be good, the world's first cat talk back station when they learned to speak. I'm from total On and the Kaimi road is closed and major slippers blocking both sides of the road. We had reheavy rate around eight thirty, but no thunder to report of minor flooding around tott On, and I think Major, I think it's probably time to put a tunnel under the Kaimis. I'll correct that, I think it's probably time to put another tunnel under the Kaimis. Marcus was caregiver for my ninety year old mothers during COVID. She was suggested by the nurse to give her a COVID test. She replied, take that thing back to the toy shop. Marcus. Wat's for dinner, g Lofters, which was cube bread soaked an egg, g Loft. What's what's for dinner, g Lofters? Marcus? When asked what's for dinner, my mother would say a Donnybrook sandwich or air hi. Marcus, I think they'll find kits. Only say three things, pet me, don't pet me, and feed me brilliant. Good evening, Judith, this is Marcus. Welcome, good evening, Judith, This is Marcus.
Speaker 20: Welcome, Oh, good evening. My mother used to say something when I asked what was the t should say A drink of water and look around.
Speaker 21: Was very very very very off.
Speaker 3: Oh that's great. She sounds like a hell of a character.
Speaker 20: She was, and she had some other good ones too, Just.
Speaker 3: What's for dinner? What's for dinner?
Speaker 20: Drink of water and look round.
Speaker 3: That's good.
Speaker 14: I like that a lot I do too, Thank you.
Speaker 3: That's beautiful, Judith. What was your first name?
Speaker 22: My mother?
Speaker 11: Mabel?
Speaker 3: Mabel? Yeah, I like her. I can see Mabel say that what's for dinner? Couple would to look around? That's brilliant, brilliant. When my mother was cooking, she'd says, do with the fork, stir up talks, do with a knife, stir up strife? What does that mean? Will they learn this? A lot of people said a pie? What's for that? Good evening?
Speaker 23: Stew good a Marcus.
Speaker 24: I can remember my mother. She used to have this really wicked saying, which is when the five kids running around her ankles, she'd say, don't let me get my monkey out.
Speaker 9: Wow.
Speaker 24: Yeah, I only presume it means don't make her angry because I never asked her. And I remember once we asked where she kiss it. She says she kIPS it in the closet, and we never ever looked.
Speaker 3: Sounds terrifying for the monkey to come out. It's like her, It's like her angry split self.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 24: And I would say that to my kids and they just look at me and say that silly.
Speaker 3: It doesn't work anymore, does it don't work?
Speaker 25: Night?
Speaker 3: Like you too, oh Marcus. My mother would say at the dinner table, eat what you can and we will can what you can't. That's good, Marcus. Just an update from State Hayway, Marcus. Just an update from State hate Gee, my word's gone.
Speaker 2: I might't be like that.
Speaker 3: Fox host won't have to kill over. Just an update from State Highway five Wya. Tapu roading contractors are here now and the flooding has somewhat subsided. Still a bit of debris on the road, but slowly moving through cold and wet. No thunder though. When asked what's for dinner, I was told a glass of water and a worm. Good evening, Sue. This is Marcus. Welcome, Oh Marcus.
Speaker 26: I'd love to speak with you. I haven't. It's too Yes, I wanted.
Speaker 3: To do you have anyone you haven't?
Speaker 27: What?
Speaker 26: Sorry, Marcus, I wondered if you watch the news tonight. Oh, a lady was pul rover in the States and she stood outside her car. The cops looked him at the top of the video of raccoon pet raccoon in the car and it had a pea pipe.
Speaker 12: Cheap.
Speaker 3: Is nice to hear from you, so, Matt Marcus, welcome, How are you good?
Speaker 2: Thank you?
Speaker 15: Uh, just silly things your parents used to say to you.
Speaker 16: My mother was used to say when you had annoy as you say, I'd rip your lips off.
Speaker 23: It's make you with the website?
Speaker 3: Is it in character? That does sound quite violent?
Speaker 16: Oh yeah, definitely a character.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 23: Yeah, okay, just all these reminding me and I cracked up.
Speaker 2: Yeah slip.
Speaker 3: Oh, by the way, there was a picture of the raccoon with the meth pipe. Slip, Marie, it's Marcus. Good evening, Hi Marcus.
Speaker 28: My mother used to say when she was asked what time it was, she would say it was a hair past.
Speaker 7: Of free cours.
Speaker 3: I think, yeah yeah.
Speaker 28: And we asked how old she was, she would tell us us she was as old as her tongue and a little bit older than her teeth.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 28: And she would also say when we asked for help, she would say, we were big enough and ugly enough to do it ourselves.
Speaker 3: Can read Gene's a genus. Marcus, good evening, Hi.
Speaker 17: Marcus, seven kids with us?
Speaker 12: What was for dinner?
Speaker 29: And my mother would say, put so much together?
Speaker 25: Put some Apple storees almost together with a Demi flip.
Speaker 9: We didn't want to you after that.
Speaker 3: I'm surprised you kept asking.
Speaker 17: Always hungry, always hungry?
Speaker 3: When there's seven Yeah, yes, yeah, I could say, thanks for that, Jean. I'm quite enjoying this people. It's quite straightforward. We are talking about kind of as a precursor for Mother's Day, which is on Sunday. We are talking about the cryptic, strange things your parents would say that have sticked with or stuck with you, and you're thinking, what the hell was that about. They might be threats, they might be nonsense answers to tiresome questions, but there's no shortage of them, and some of them are extremely original and highly entertaining. If you have some of those. That's the theme for tonight. I'll get to the text to be plenty of those wo'd like to hear you calls too, Yeah, sort of. Some of them have the threat of punishment at the back of them, but I guess that was the times. A lot of them seem English and derivation, I mean, seem to be from the old country. A lot of the responses to what's for dinner? Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty and nine two nine. You have some good ones. I think we all have. I don't necessarily know what if my kids asked me what my things would say, the things I would say would be, let's probably put it in your journal. But get in touch here till midnight oh eight hundred eighty, ten eighty and nine to nine to to text, plenty of texts. I will get to those before too long. Ten past ten, Good evening, make its Marcus, welcome.
Speaker 2: HI.
Speaker 14: When I was about eight or nine, we used a holiday with our grandpat in ash Version, and I remember by Nanny saying to me, many deans will get you. And I didn't have a clue who any deans was, but I read a couple of articles on later on in life. I thought, how could my lovely grandmother come out with that?
Speaker 3: Tell me that I just you just glitched about. What was the Bernie, what you said?
Speaker 12: What was the.
Speaker 30: What?
Speaker 3: When would she say? What would she say? And when would she say it?
Speaker 14: Well, when I was if I was laughty, I was staying with her, she would say, if you don't behave yourself, many deans will get you, okay, and many beans. The baby in the middle of your area somewhere.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll tell you one thing I've the one thing I have learned about many deans, having read widely about her, is that she was a great user of the rail system. She'd be training all across Southend in Otago, picking up babies with their hat box and a heppen Anyway, nice to hear from you keep it going eight hundred and eighty ten eighty nine to nine to detect tittle twelve, Good evening, Robert, Welcome.
Speaker 4: Today, Marcus. When we when mother had something that we wanted to know what it was, she'd say, it's a wig, one for a goose's bridle.
Speaker 3: Still we had that the last couple of hours. I've got It's not something I've ever heard before, but it seems as though it was something that people would say, Yes.
Speaker 2: It was quite quite a regular thing in our house.
Speaker 3: And a bridle is like what you put on a horse, right. Yeah, I'm just trying to make six. Yeah, okay, I don't know if that's the thing exists, but it'd be good to make one. Robert, thank you for that. Our twelve past ten keeping coming. I'll get to some of the texts before too long. Yeah, threats and answers to stupid questions. It seems to be what we're on about tonight. Oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty hevery heavy thunder down the country. I think it's probably past. It was quite rapid and quite sudden, but the met Service seem concerned pushing out sudden alerts. I think probably the only road that is still closed will be the Chai Mais. Sorry, the road across the Kaimis, and that's both lanes closed. Some MESSI slip. So yeah, we'll get the light of day, we'll see the horror of that, and no doubt that will be closed for some time. That would be my prediction. Oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty nine nine to text. Often when you'd ask Watsford and he'd say glass of water, the worm in it. Which is quite good. One of my dad's favorites he made up was one wallow does not a swimmer mate. My Scottish nan would say, close the window. What do you think it is? Fresh air fortnight that I like? I like that a lot. I might use that because kids with doors and windows terrible Marcus. My mother would say, when we asked Watsford dinner, we have two choices. Tonight take it or leave it up to you. Any of them. Here's a good one. It's a good sexist one. When I didn't do things quite right, my father would say, six Months of the South and Girl's High would do you the world of God. It's kind of its confidence boosting. Oh wait, ten and eighty, come on more, more, more, more more. Marcus would say, if we were not tidy, we looked like the wreck of the hesper the reck of the hesperis. I don't quite know much of the reck of the Hesperus. I'll google that up. Looking forward to your call to people, the cryptic, strange and vaguely threatening things your parents would say. This was me, having crowdsourced the topic for Mother's Day. I think we're done all right with it. Actually, the reck of the Hesperus. I think the reck of the hespers might have been fictitious. It was a long Fellow poem. Long Fellow, the reck of the Hesperus be tonight's reading before I.
Speaker 29: Go to bed.
Speaker 3: Hello, Nora, it's Marcus. Welcome here, Hi Marcus.
Speaker 20: Yes, long terms. My mother used to say, which I've now put my grandchildren, show me your friends and I'll tell you who you are? Birds of us feather flocked together?
Speaker 3: Was it both together? I had two different sayings?
Speaker 27: What was that?
Speaker 20: Two different sayings? Here bird of us, heather flock together?
Speaker 2: Or show me your.
Speaker 20: Friends and I'll tell you who you are. And my grandchildren often say to me, oh, Nana, I can remember what your mother used to say.
Speaker 3: Very good, Nora, thank you for that. This is a good one. My mother used to say, I'm on the verge of a nervous breakdown, and you won't be happy till I end up and put your door. I think that's where the it's probably called an asylum in those days. It's with a psychiatric hospital. Was it still is? When talking to grandmother, if I said well and then in silence, she would have replied, well, well, well, said the blind man talking to the deaf man on the phone. When we asked the mother what was for dinner, she would say, wait and see pie. Good evening, Kevin. It's Marcus welcome.
Speaker 31: Yeah, good evening, Marcus. I used to ask my father how he was. His reply was a box of birds and they're all curping.
Speaker 3: Do you say that ironically or was he quite a happy sort of a unit.
Speaker 31: Oh he was quite happy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good. Happy to hear that, Kevin, Thank you. Eighteen past ten. My mother used to say, let's have a bit of light on the subject when going into a dark room Marcus. When we're at my mate's place in our teens, his mum would come down and say, what's going on down here? It sounds like the tickawity pub. My aunt used to say say, if you don't behave all, sharpen your legs like pencils and hem you into the ground. It's a pretty good three, doesn't it. Your cryptic things your parents would say, Sonia, it's Marcus welcome.
Speaker 32: Thanks, Mike, I's high. Yes, it's It's something that my nana, my beautiful, wonderful, kind nana would say to my mom when mom was a little girl, as she was attacking Mom into bed. She would ask, Mom, who do you love more meal?
Speaker 21: Dad?
Speaker 32: Who do you love more than me?
Speaker 9: You're dad?
Speaker 3: What a piece of work? What a piece of work?
Speaker 32: I just I struggled to believe that. And also I was so interest What did you say?
Speaker 17: Mom?
Speaker 27: What did you say?
Speaker 10: Mom?
Speaker 17: Did?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 32: I would say I love you both the same, I know, because I feel like I I'd crumble like a cheap tent and say you, Mum, how old was she? Well, that's that's a good question. I didn't ask.
Speaker 14: I was just too.
Speaker 32: So let's just find out, she said, a little girl. So they grew up Catholic.
Speaker 3: It's a pretty tricky thing to ask, isn't it.
Speaker 27: Too?
Speaker 14: Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, nice to hear from you, Sonya, thank you. Twenty two past ten. If I asked my dad how much money he made, he always said not enough Marcus. My mother used to say, when asked if she wanted sugar to coffee, that she was to be she that she was to sour. She was too sour to be sweetened.
Speaker 11: Me.
Speaker 3: Mum, watsfor dinner?
Speaker 2: Mum?
Speaker 3: Shit rolled in sugar. Wow, that's direct, jeeps. My grandfather used to open the back page of the newspaper and say, wonder who's given up smoking today? Took me a bit to realize he was reading the death notices. Well that's dark, isn't it. My uncle used to tell me at Rugby, I had two chances, shit show and no show. My father in law would tell my children if they asked what was for dessod, he would say fried snowballs and a helping of wind. Would ask mom where we were going? Her reply was up a tree in a boat Marcus. When we asked mum, wat's for dinner? She would say, A chase around the table and a kick at the cat. That's a goody too, isn't it, sheep? As these are good sue?
Speaker 4: Hello, Hi, Hi.
Speaker 33: When my parents worth had an argument or anything like that, Mum used to sort of shut up shop and wouldn't speak to him, and he used to walk off and say, I see it all.
Speaker 19: She loves them.
Speaker 33: I'll fix that woman, I'll marry her mother. And we could never understand it because their grandma was dead.
Speaker 3: Yeah, did you understand it?
Speaker 29: No, it's still don't the seventies.
Speaker 3: In the seventies, tell me tell me again, he used.
Speaker 33: To say, I see it, I see it, or she loves another. I'll fix that woman, I'll marry her mother.
Speaker 3: Wow, it's pretty powerful a maybe someone else could cast some light on it. So thank you, obscure and cryptic things. Your parents would say that. Maybe you never really understood. Oh eight, one hundred and eighty, ten, eighty and nineteen. Most enrolled around what's for dinner? Or where are you going? Good evening, Rose, it's Marcus, welcome, Hi Marcus.
Speaker 20: It was two of them when we were very naughty. Wasn't that often?
Speaker 33: We were toldal he gets specificated.
Speaker 3: Wow. Wow, that sounds terrifying, doesn't it, because be split in half and tied up doesn't know what it was?
Speaker 20: Yeah?
Speaker 10: And then yes, oh, what's for dinner?
Speaker 25: Pick your feet?
Speaker 3: People will saying that quite often. Yep, And I guess eels don't have feet. That's the irony. It's imaginary, isn't it.
Speaker 20: Yes, And the power of a hospital has gone we were talking about two minutes ago.
Speaker 3: There's still something that's got a different name, has it.
Speaker 10: No, they pulled the whole building down and got of a retirement villa.
Speaker 3: Okay, is there a hospital there? And that's and and it's on a different site.
Speaker 8: Is it sort of.
Speaker 10: Say, yeah, different site, but it's fairy close to where it was.
Speaker 3: Yes, good, I'm glad they knocked down those things are always such wanting buildings. Yes, okay, yes, well that's always interesting when people sort of say the threats of ending up and psydechic. I guess that was quite common in those days, and you might have something to say about that also tonight. One o hddle twelve Marcus, my grandma born nineteen oh eight would say, in reference to having children, this is good people, you'll be triggered by this. My grandma born in ninety their weight, would say, in reference to having children, keep the best and drown the rest. Wow, that's pretty old school, good living. Sundra ates Marcus.
Speaker 29: Welcome, Oh evening, Marcus. It's an enjoyable show tonight. I've got one t three sayns. My dad used to say, I'm a poet and didn't know at my feet are long, long fellows.
Speaker 3: It's quite good.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, was a type of potato, do, wasn't it.
Speaker 29: I don't know about a potato. I know he was a poet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, okay, yeah, I think they might also be potatoes anyway.
Speaker 29: Yeah, my mum used to say who does he think he is? Ten firrup in the best possible taste. And I've got a favorite saying. When I'm asked how old i am, I just say I'm not old. I've just been young a very long time.
Speaker 3: I think you'd have to I think I think you'd have to say. I think you'd have to say that it was referring to the potato. I don't think the long fellow joke would work otherwise. Oh okay, yeah, maybe maybe I might be right. This is you feed our long fellows. Yeah, I can't quite work out that might work on two levels or three different central think about that one for a while. Good evening, Rosset's Marcus welcome.
Speaker 19: Yeah, can I Marcus? I yeah, I guess a bit of a quote that my mum used to say. She was an old lady, and she used to used to not like girls wearing short skirts and that sort of stuff and things, and she used to say, sights you see when you haven't got your gun, which is probably not very nice, to be honest, but.
Speaker 3: Not that discreet. Ross thank you, Steve, Marcus.
Speaker 31: Good evening, Yeah, good day, Marcus, great programmer. As usual, my father used to threaten us with specialification, and we never knew what it was, but he always said it in a kind of a jovial manner, as if it were something nice. But he also had a saying whenever in circumstances like we might be wedding at some traffic lights in the car and the lights would turn read before we we got to go through, and he'd say too late. She cried and waved her wooden leg, and he'd say that sometimes he would if we were driving past to bust up and those days, it says, early days of the trams in the middle of the road in Auckland where they went up and down the concrete strips, and occasionally'd be driving and you'd see somebody running after the tram or running after a bus. He'd say, too late. She cried and waved a wooden leg. And when that lady talked about spifl speification, I wondered whether anybody had ever heard of that phrase. We never knew quite what it meant.
Speaker 2: Obviously, it's quite.
Speaker 3: Per because I like he puts the third person as though he's not even himself, like he's narrating sort of a scene. Too late, she cried as she waved her wooden leg is at it.
Speaker 31: Yeah, yeah, that's that's That's the other thing he used to say when we'd leave the doors open when he was trying to warm up a room in the house. You'd say, born an a tent as usual, born an a tent, and you know we'd have to rush over and close the doors. But that was one phrase that we never really knew what it was. And I thought you must have read in a book somewhere. It sounded like a quote from somewhere, but I don't know where it was from.
Speaker 3: Well, look to think I've had so many phrases come through tonight, but no one's mentioned that.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 31: Well, I don't know whether it's sort of it doesn't make a lot of sense really, but it was a bit of a bit of fun. We always laughed when you see it, and you drag it out every now and again randomly. But anyway, good to hear all these old things.
Speaker 3: I think, just from a quick look Steve.
Speaker 10: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: The phrase too late, too late, she cried as she waved her wooden league in the air. Is a line from the poem and the Highwayman by Alfred Noise that a highwayman who is portrayed by his lover and dies in a shootout with the authorities. The lighter's rheumatic moment and the poem emphasizing and the desperate, tragic and desperate nature of the situation. But someone someone also says, from a Pink Floyd song, so I'm gonna do some quick research on that because it's very good. But I will report back, Steve, thank you. My husband would say to our children, I'll smeck you so hard your shirt will run up your back like a blind Lovely, isn't it. My dad used to tell me when I was being annoying, go and tell your mother she wants you. Well, that's good. My granddads used to say, uncooked joints off the table when we had elbows on the table. That's quite able to do that before uncooked joints off the table. My grandmother was born in eighteen eighty eight. If I was talking loudly or shouting, she would say, be quiet, you sound like a fish wife. Very odd to a child imagining fish getting married. As a child, I was watching TV so much, my mother would say to me, my job was to make sure the couch doesn't fly out the window. Halftime in the Rugby League fourteen nil Brisbane over the South. Alistair, Hello Marcus, evening.
Speaker 30: Hello Marcus. When I was very young, mine Molo would ask me to do a job or something and I would forget sometimes that she would say, your train, I thought has left the station.
Speaker 3: Yes, how did that make you feel?
Speaker 30: Ah, couldn't worry on me?
Speaker 3: Good on, Thanks Alistair, your trainer thought has left the station. Now people are sitting through outback Australian quotes. We're actually talking more about Mother's Day, the cryptic things your mother would say to you that might cut you down or might not twelve to eleven here till midnight Jim Steedden from twelve Chris good evening, Welcome, Hi Marcus.
Speaker 10: I was just to hear somebody say something about asking what's for tea and the mother or father father probably would answer pickled, pickled eels toes or something. My father was yessed to say pickled eels toenails. And I'd ask him what the time was and he'd say it's half pass called it from that, which I've never heard anybody else say that before, and that's saying eat it up, wear it out, do with or do without, and I think kids of today could learn that one.
Speaker 34: Wear it out, do with or do with?
Speaker 10: They are like it. It is a good one, isn't that.
Speaker 3: We'll go on a T shirt. Chris, thank you for that. Good evening, Peter, this is Marcus. Welcome.
Speaker 2: Yes, good evening, Marcus. I'm saying I used to I heard from my neighbor when I was a young child and I was watching him and working in his workshop and he was building something that I'd inquire what he was making, and his response that I still remember was he's building a wigwam for a goose's bridle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've had that a few times. That seems to be some that some people see quite often. Yes, that's not what It's not one I've ever heard, no me.
Speaker 2: I'm just still wondering where it ever came from. I understand the implications.
Speaker 3: The implications love. Yeah, yeah, but yeah, but thank you Peter, thank you Jeannett. It's Marcus. Good evening, Good evening.
Speaker 20: My mother was quite short, and she used to say, if my legs for longer, I'd be taller.
Speaker 3: Where did she say that all the time?
Speaker 20: Oh, there's someone queried where she was so short?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, And if you ask.
Speaker 20: My dad how old he was, he would say, I'm as old as my tongue and a little older than my teeth.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: That's good too, isn't he. That's quite literal. Okay, good night, Thank you, Jeanette. As a young girl, I learned about the weather with the saying there's enough blue sky to make a sailor a suit. My dad still sees when commenting on pathetic leadership, the world is shot for the want of an Irish king. I have never heard anyone else ever say it, but with a bit of looking on Google, and it was a key we quote for play in the sixties. Aha, she cried as she waved her wooden leg and her glass eye fill out and what we were quoted? Can you tell me a bit more about that, because I can't find that anywhere?
Speaker 16: That one?
Speaker 21: Hello, Faye, Oh, I guess when there was a girl I'm eighty six now, we lived in a house and had a coal range, and we used to have a coal man used to come and deliver coal and he had a big sack on his back and he was covered and you know, coldness. And Mum always threatened me when I was naughty, the coal man would take me away and his sack. One day there was a knock at the door and I opened the door and there he was standing there with his heat his sack, and I screamed and then got under my Yes, the poor man had just come to the door for money for delivering the coal. And I can still remember it to this day.
Speaker 13: It was rightening.
Speaker 20: Yeah, it's a.
Speaker 3: Really good story, Faith, Thanks for that. Wow, someone has texted through.
Speaker 2: I like this one.
Speaker 3: I haven't heard this one. When my father whatever enough of arguing with us, he would say, and if your grandmother would have had wheels, she would have been a bike. It's a bit different, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 3: Eight hundred and eighty ten eighty Juliet's Marcus.
Speaker 34: Hello, and a very good evening to you. Marcus says, I was always a very good program.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Thank you, Julie.
Speaker 34: My mum used to say when we were naughty, my brother and I, I would have been better off with a set of jugs.
Speaker 3: I like that because it's quite straightforward and quite brutal, isn't it.
Speaker 20: Yeah, And I would always say, well, after me they broke the mold.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, better off of the set of jugs. That's brilliant any more from her? Any more from her? Oh, there was lots, but I.
Speaker 8: When you put in the spot like this, you just you just can't remember them all.
Speaker 3: But take some. So if you get some more. Fourteen to six Brisbane Broncos leave the South, rabbit os, they might come back the South. Hello, Anne, it's Marcus.
Speaker 25: Good evening, Yes, good evening, Marcus.
Speaker 28: Just one.
Speaker 25: My grandmother used to say the years she used to call me tuppence tuppence, until I realized what tuppence was. It was two pennies, and I said to her one day, why do you call me tuppence? And she said because the pennies too cheap for you, and truppences too?
Speaker 2: Do you? Wow?
Speaker 3: What does it even mean? Early worth? Twopence? Wow?
Speaker 25: Okay, then's had a good night, Thank you.
Speaker 3: Anne, Good evening, Janet. This is Marcus. Welcome.
Speaker 20: Hello.
Speaker 34: My mother always used to say to us if we rushed in and said, no, what's for dinner, she would say, well, you can have nanon over nona on with nothing in between.
Speaker 3: I don't know what so nanon over non on with nothing in between?
Speaker 23: Is that it?
Speaker 12: Yes?
Speaker 3: And my father all parents must have said these things. It seems as it was universal.
Speaker 34: Well, my father used to say that if he had had enough to be I have had ample sufficiency to satisfy my delicacy, and if I have anymore, I will be super elefficcucious.
Speaker 3: Well, he sounds like a good sort.
Speaker 2: I like it.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Jennet John Hello, Hi, Yeah, my dad.
Speaker 7: Had a couple. I will actually had one, and it was for describing good clothes. He called groppie mocker. I don't really know what it means.
Speaker 3: Tell me, tell me, tell me that in the sentence.
Speaker 7: Get your good groppy maker on.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, so refer to the good clothes your gropping macha okay good.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and I remember a film of money Python John Clee said, don't dumb the slippery yel.
Speaker 3: Yes, so that must have been that may be weird that well, he might have been brought up with that as well. Could be Yeah, I got no idea what Oh okay, thank you for that, John gropping maker. Like he refers to groppy knee pads and a moca color for pole dancing. I think it's a check g P t A I I think, which is pretty silly. But anyway, thank you. Hello, Catherine.
Speaker 29: What is the same to us? If you don't watch, you're going to get a.
Speaker 21: Treason at the feed.
Speaker 3: Wow, which means what you're not going to get much at all.
Speaker 17: I don't think Peter was here with it.
Speaker 3: No, it's so threshing with a feather was a threat. It was a threshing with a feather, Is that right?
Speaker 27: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Okay, thank you, Peter, good evening.
Speaker 23: Yes, Peter here, Hi, Peter here, got three here for you. You know what thought done? Sorty of swimming the English Channel, but when he woke up, you'd only waked the bed.
Speaker 3: So you're say that when again you're saying, thinking about it? You know what thought did? Thought?
Speaker 23: Swimming the sordy is swimming the English Channel, but when he woke up, he'd only waked the bed.
Speaker 3: It's good, that's really good.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 23: Another one I thought that it's he let a candle because he thought the light was on.
Speaker 3: Yeah good.
Speaker 23: Yeah, and someone stands in front of you when you're looking at something, you make a better doll than a window.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's that one.
Speaker 13: One.
Speaker 3: The other thought what I've never heard before, Peter, Thank you, good evening. Margaret.
Speaker 27: Hello, Marcus. My father used to be full of saying, and one of them was, just because somebody puts her head in the gas of and doesn't they you need to Yes. Another one was, oh what's good for the goose is good for the gander? Yes, And thirty thousand blowflies can't be wrong.
Speaker 35: With Hello, Hello, Marcus, you I've got one for you. If I used to argue when I was a kid of hope would argue with my father, say that he was right, and he'd say, I bet you too, Bob to another goat pop, and you can hold the steaks in your mouth.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 35: I thought it was very funny.
Speaker 3: What's what?
Speaker 7: What?
Speaker 19: What?
Speaker 3: What are the steakes? He's referring to.
Speaker 35: The steaks are the goat pop?
Speaker 3: So say the saying again.
Speaker 11: He would say that he was right. He'd say, I bet you too, Bob, which is two shillings in those days, too, Bob to a knob of goat pop, and you can hold the steaks in your mouth.
Speaker 3: And you think it, and you think, what do you think? The steaks refers to the.
Speaker 35: Steaks referred to them goat pop.
Speaker 3: As for as steaks as in the steaks for the bet. Yeah, the bit too, Bob see the state. Yeah, you know, I get it now, I do get it. Gudeth, it's come to me.
Speaker 27: Thank you.
Speaker 3: My father used to say, if my sister had bulls, she would have been my brother. One would at times when we looked uncomfortable, say, you look as awkward as a pig with a souviette. Now some for a good ones coming through, Now, Marcus, you know what thought did, don't you. We stuck a feather on the ground and thought to grow a rooster.
Speaker 18: Now.
Speaker 3: My mother used to say she couldn't come and do something because she had a bone and a leg. As a kid, I thought that was a very valid reason. If I was trying to be clever, my dad would say, well, there's no flies on you, but I can see where they've been now, Marcus. A favorite of mine was when I was in the way, the grandfather used to say, your father wasn't a glass blower. That's a variation on you're a better door than a window, Marcus. My mother used to say, when you ask why she was doing something for fun and fancy to please old men. Old desserts were always called wait and see. I brought you into this world. I can take you out of it. Mother always said, it's pretty full on, isn't it. Get in touch you on talk, by the way, than to be talking, not a saying. When our dad used to get frustrated with us as children, he would tell us to go put our heads in a bucket of water twice and take it out once. Marcus, my grandfather used to call me tuppance too. I don't know why, and then he abbreviated to tups. Oh wait n eight ten eighty, Jenny, good evening, Marcus welcome.
Speaker 29: Oh hi Marcus.
Speaker 17: My dad used to call me tuppance too when I was a little kid. When we used to come home sometimes and ask when Mom was Dad, as he was there, would say, oh, she's up in Annie's room. We didn't even have a Nannie in the family, but it usually meant she was up in the bedroom or somewhere. She was up in Annie's And if we came home and said Mum was dad, she would say, I always gone to see a man about a dog.
Speaker 3: Yeah, think that one's quite composite. I've never heard there as a child, but you I've heard people since say that.
Speaker 21: Yeah.
Speaker 17: And my mother used to tell me as I got a little bit older, she used to tell me I had too much false pride, and I didn't know what she meant. It wasn't till I grew up really that I realized she meant that I thought I was better than I was.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, I always Yeah, I'm never quite sure about false pride. It doesn't sometimes be in the opposite. But if you know what I'm saying, Yes, that's what I think she meant. Yes, you're probably rights. I don't know. Everyone was called tuppence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 17: I was very affictuate to him. I think for your dad to call your tuppence.
Speaker 3: It's a nice words. Thank you, you're a nice expression. If we're fidgeting, my grandmother would say, sit still, you're bouncing around like a fart in the bottle. Good evening, Margaret, it's Marcus. Welcome.
Speaker 22: Yes, my mother used to say, we're here. There be for a fat that nearly killed me.
Speaker 2: Wow, there you go.
Speaker 3: Eh, she sounds like she sounds lively.
Speaker 20: Well she's been dead for a long time.
Speaker 3: Oh, yes, which is alive? She sounds lively. I guess what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: I was just saying that she used to say.
Speaker 24: But she usually means she'd said, brilliant.
Speaker 3: Good to hear from you, Margaret, Thank you, Jason. Good evening.
Speaker 13: Yeah, did you see did you see the game there?
Speaker 3: I saw his try right at the end when they thought it was full time and just slacking over.
Speaker 16: Very speak.
Speaker 3: Yes, Look, honestly, there seems to be something between Wayne Bennett and a trail. But boy, what a game that was. That's one of his greatest ever.
Speaker 13: Yeah, that your girl was pretty impressive in the week woman.
Speaker 3: It was forty eight meters.
Speaker 13: Well, and you know what we're good to celebrate was good too. He just he just walked away, no emotion. I'm running at him.
Speaker 3: I wasn't watching it because obviously I'm at worked. But was that on Teckle five.
Speaker 7: Man?
Speaker 4: I couldn't.
Speaker 13: I actually I'm not too sure. I kind of just caught against to.
Speaker 3: Run a play. They thought they was going to kick it for touch, didn't they.
Speaker 13: It was a Yeah, it was a kick that kind of came out of nowhere. And the funny thing is that I was as you started talking about it. I was watching it as you're talking about it. Wasn't thinkers in the time in sky. But anyway about the sayings, mate, About the sayings my old man always to say, I mean, pretty basic ones. But he wased to say, if he's if he's the eager of the house, he's a meal in the house. It's something that me and I always believe that too. I've always feel like, if he's an egg in the house, he's always a meal. And with you goally, even go free. And that's when I lived by too. One time, one time I was living, I was living at home, and I bought this brought this woman home and she wasn't the best look in mine, mate, And and my old man he must have caught her on the way out, you know. And I come out and knows, well, I can't, you know, you're kind of heavy to spain look each other, you know. And he goes to me, he goes, oh, it's all good man, You don't don't you don't. Oh man, I've got to try and recorded what execular where you should it?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 19: Yeah, this is is He goes, You're right, you're right.
Speaker 13: You don't look at the mental piece when you're stick in the fire.
Speaker 3: Gone, Jason, thanks for that. Eleven from twelve here till midnight tonight. Get your sayings through people. Oh, when I asked my mother what's happened, she would say, an empty wagon full of stones has run over a dead dog and killed it. Wow. Get in touches, you want to talk people, You might want to talk about the weather or something different to slow the tone of Oh, there's the messcot on the the only two year old mescot, the Reveli's messcot hit the fan. Yeah, angry bunny. Hello, daniel.
Speaker 9: Le's here you go mate, good daniel Yeah, and they have that game goes and the money get.
Speaker 3: Up to they were way behind and they the trell. Yeah, it was unbelievable. They he got it. It was fourteen all and just in the run of play and a wet day, is at the halfway line fo meters and just had a you've never seen a guy had a field goal as sweetly just I've never seen a field.
Speaker 5: Goal like it.
Speaker 3: Pretty much from halfway just drop kicked it over and then yeah but then they then so they let the clock run down, right, and they're just playing for time on the Broncos try line, and then Latrell had the ball and it was full time and all the Brisbane players just sort of shrugged and looked sad they were losing, and suddenly La Trell Mitchell jumps up, uh, dives for the try line and scores it and.
Speaker 9: It was legitimate, so he said the buddies one.
Speaker 3: Yes twenty two fourteen. I think he got two tries.
Speaker 9: I was bringing mard my my mother and dad needs to know me. You know you're asking that saying now my dad passed. My mom's at home now even I asked my mom, she's going, she's had to be going as your father and then on young thing? Then dad, can my friends stay?
Speaker 20: Not?
Speaker 10: Well?
Speaker 9: Can I get say any He says post? But it got me confused of a post? What do they mean? Yes to my dot? Get back to mom because I guess I said post.
Speaker 20: You know you give.
Speaker 9: And take? What he mean? What does that mean?
Speaker 2: What do you what?
Speaker 13: What?
Speaker 9: What do you take out of it?
Speaker 3: When I think that, I think that means does the Daniel?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think that, yes, Margus, I'll take that to year.
Speaker 3: It's nice to hear from anyway. Daniel seven away from twelve. If you want to come through before the end, people shout out to claim. Someone says, if you want to talk on air, oh by the way. I just see if I've got any news that's important before the end of the night, Just making sure that I'm up to date with everything. I don't think we've missed anything earth chattering in the last four hours. Just checking out people. But oh, eight hundred and eight ten eighty is the number if you want to come through before the end for about six minutes. Got e been care and it's Marcus. Welcome though, Hi, Karen.
Speaker 28: Hi.
Speaker 22: We used to have her. If I ever asked my mother what she was doing, she'd say, she's making a wig one for a goose's bridle.
Speaker 3: Yes, now we have heard that a little bit tonight.
Speaker 22: Yeah, I still say it occasionally.
Speaker 29: My sister and I.
Speaker 22: Laugh about the old family sayings. But it was a nice evening.
Speaker 32: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Nice to hear from you, Karen. Thank you you're the old goose's bridle, a wig one for? And I'm here's me thinking keep what a wig one was? I mean, because don't even call them teepees now, don't you must be the same thing. I presume, good evening, Andrew, welcome.
Speaker 36: Good evening, Marcus as saying my father used to have I can remember my I guess it was what would have been really late teens. I suppose what's that got to do with the price of fish. I don't know if you've heard the had that one.
Speaker 3: Certainly I haven't had that tonight, but certainly I think that's one that said that a few few people would third day price of fish.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 36: Yeah, and one my mum used to say when things my late mother, when things were a bit down, keep your keep your pecker up, which I used to cringe it, you know, but it obviously had some different meaning back in time.
Speaker 23: I guess like a lot of those sayings.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it's nice to remember those things before Mother's Day too, So cheers that, Adam Marcus.
Speaker 21: Welcome, great Marcus.
Speaker 13: My grandmother would on occasion say more you have more cheek than a fatman's specsid.
Speaker 7: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Oh well, I guess that's good because it make you laugh too. What as a kid, do you think that's pretty funny? Marcus? Massive shout out the loved, long lost clem from the mirror of farriorda shout out to a lot of shout out shout out to Brandon Marcus. I'm sure you'd find my foreign mother's translation of serves your right amusing. She took a long time to admit their actual translation was spit up to heavy, it'll end in your eye. My brother was always told it was the exact Yugoslav translation, Marcus. One of dad's to shut the door was put the wood in the hole. Very good, Oh you, Thanks to all your texts, you guys text fantastically would have made a fortune from the machine tonight. Thousands and thousands of texts lookally coming through about ten a minute. That's been good. So I appreciate all your people typing away the Kaimi. The road over the Kaimis is closed. That's the main road there, So I think that's probably going to be the temporary fix is going to take a while, and I think probably the long term fix is going to take a long time. There's been no sighting of what it looks like yet, but apparently the road slipped away both sides. So if you're going from tot Oner to or if you're the mayor of todong or if you're going between Todonger and Hamilton over the weekend, you might want to check before you go because it might be a bit of a detour. So just be that in mind, and I will catch you all again on Monday. Enjoy your weekend, good night.
Speaker 1: For more from Marcus Slash Nights, listen live to news talks there'd be from eight pm weekdays, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio