Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talk set B. Follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on iHeartRadio and take another pat.
Speaker 2: It's entering, it is out, the test is over, couldn't smoke fous a beauty? This out and here he goes distlivery has any users devolved.
Speaker 1: On the front Post where Brian Waddell and Jeremy Coney. He's powered by News Talks d B at iHeart Radio.
Speaker 2: Test Week and the news keeps getting better, positive progress following the command and victory over Ireland in Belfa. Hello, an extra edition of On the Front Foot. As we hear from black Caps coach Rob Walter. On arrival in London for the Lord's Test, he was greeting with views that Mitt Santner is fits and able to join the team. Rob, Is that an indication that you're playing the test?
Speaker 3: Ah?
Speaker 4: Not not necessarily, just obviously happy that he's turning his fitness around so quickly, setting a lot quicker than we expected, which is awesome. It's off to him has worked incredibly hard along the staff, so yeah, just great that he could join the squad again.
Speaker 2: What are the positives you take out of the performance in Belfast.
Speaker 4: Oh look, I mean obviously there's a numbers a number of them, a number of individual performances, but also collectively, you know, sort of to come out of the back end of our season and I've had a lot of long format cricket for the group, a bit of downtime from the end of the season and then into a couple of weeks of prep and straight into a Test match. So to sort of find our test match rhythm relatively quickly after a bit of a shaky start, within an amazing partnership between Rutchend and Tom and then followed by Dean. So yeah, it was great to see us sort of respond to those conditions pretty quickly. And then from a bowling point of view, obviously the entire unit tho bold better and better as the Test went on. It was a very good test pitch, I thought, and the guys who were able to sort of manage the Duke's ball wind was new and then when it gets a bit older and softer, it was a bit more of a challenge. But yeah, I thought we did. I thought we did well as a as a unit, as I said, and Bold in Partnerships, which is the name of the game really in the longer format, so it's pretty happy. And then I thought the fielding in the second the second endings was outstanding. So yeah, a lot of a lot of positives from a team point of view, and then obviously individually Time and Rautchen and Dean from a batting point of view, and then Nathan and Blair as individuals. But the whole boiling unit, I thought it worked well, excellently well together. To see Ben's hears back in whites again and you know, running in them by well, I thought he improved as a test went on. So yeah, lots of little positives, but collectively of a nice strong performance.
Speaker 2: Right, you're in test made for Lords.
Speaker 5: Now have you done your intel?
Speaker 2: I'll presume you've done your intel on the Lord's track with what you're likely to expect how it's playing this year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, obviously we have. We had a group we haven't been to the ground, so we had a bowling unit come to Lords a little bit earlier to start their prep and they've had eyes on the pitch. There's a bit of a bit of weather around. We'll see how sort of that impacts the pitch develops over the next three days. It brand oed incredibly quickly in Ireland with a sort of unseasonal heat there, so we'll see what happens from a lord's point of view. But there's obviously a lot of historical information with lords. There's been a couple of first class games already there this year. It's been very hot obviously in the UK so far, not as hot as the lead up to the Test match. So but all things being equal, there's enough information there to understand would be most likely to face on.
Speaker 2: Top of the center and news Rob, You'll be encouraged by the fitness past bowler Matt Henry is showing in the pretest build up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's he's all good. He bowled today while we were traveling, being in London already, so they all, you know, all things point to being one hundred percent foot and ready, and I.
Speaker 2: Suppose encourage too. I guess that you have a fully fit pace attack with Irourke and Jamison back to full fitness.
Speaker 4: I know we've got every intention of having all our fast bowlers fit, firing and ready for the first Test for selection, so certainly not looking to manage anyone for Game one to.
Speaker 2: Enter the scene's role Nathan Smith has done enough to secure the number eight batting all around the slot.
Speaker 4: No again, I suppose no secrets and the fact that for me, number eight needs to be an around who can bat and so Nathan has been that guy prior to getting injured. So you know, if he's fully fit and firing, then you know he owns that spot for now.
Speaker 2: And of course in Belfast, Tom Blundell reaffirmed his keeping role after he copt some criticism towards the end of the last series against the West Indies.
Speaker 4: To be honest, and I'm obviously just very happy for him. I think towards the back end of the season, as I've already said that in the media, is you could see that he was finding his best form, specifically the way that he was playing very true to himself and you know, a nice positive brand of cricket, but also you know, being smart about it. So he played two very contrasting in his the back end of the plunket shield on two very different surfaces and for me, just seeing him being able to adapt to both those surfaces and play that way, you know, just reaffirmed the type of player.
Speaker 5: That I know he is.
Speaker 4: And so it kind of knew that the score was not fire away and you know, to be honest, when he got injured in the Test series in December, you know, even in that twenty runs eighty scored, he's looking outstanding. So and then he obviously did his hamstring, which was unfortunate. So yeah, it was just a matter of when it was going to happen for Tom. Obviously glad that it happened now, and I know that'll give him great confidence, you know, just in his game and his method.
Speaker 2: Having a fully fit pace attack is a great starting point for a Test where it seemed past bowling will be a dominant feature. As Ratch and Revendra said prior to the tour, it's good to have the trio they've got.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think we have had a few injuries last summer and it's going to be super exciting to have those boys back. Obviously Matt Henry, who missed the last couple of tests Blood Technic was bowling so well, and the big man Will of Rock. I mean, there's a lot more tollers I could list down in Nathan Smith's coming back. Ben Sears is foot. We've got a serious paste battery, which I'm excited in the nets, gives us serious series tests. But you know, I remember will I Rock the way he was bowling against England as the last Test series he played Oh the bubwe actually.
Speaker 5: But the way he was boling was fantastic.
Speaker 3: So I'm looking forward to seeing him back on the park again and truly exciting time for I guess New Zealand cricket and it's it's fast by and battery because we've we've got so much depth at them.
Speaker 2: What about your spin bowling? Have you been working on that because there may well be opportunities for you and the Test series over there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good question or always interesting with my bowling, I think sometimes it tends to take a back seat, but yeah, I've definitely been trying to do a little bit more of that. Obviously, had had some opportunity to twenty World Cut which was cool and on some occasional sporting wickets and that was nice to get some ozon.
Speaker 5: But obviously we know.
Speaker 3: Test cricket's a different beast so with a different ball, and I'm trying to be a bit more so consistent, so I'll be I'll be working on that and trying to tough when I can.
Speaker 2: Do you have to perhaps ignore what happened last time New Zealand was over there three nil beaten by England in the Test series because you've got million of the same players still going over for the two Test series.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean the beauty of things like that is will be four years ago now really, so I guess that a little bit has changed and in terms of they're set up and ours too, But look there, they're a quality side whenever and we know how good they are and test cricket and the way they play. So for us it's going back and seeing what we potentially did wrong and what we could, you know, do right. But again they played some amazing cricket during a stage and you know, teams allowed to play.
Speaker 2: Well on the front foot. Will be following the action. Jeremy Coney's on site broadcasting the three Tests with the BBC Test Match Special Team. We look forward to hearing from Jerry and those disabled to speak to following the tests and hopefully a series win for the Black Beats.
Speaker 5: Cheers for more from News Talks.
Speaker 1: There'd be listen live on air or online and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on iHeartRadio,