Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talks at b follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: This is Sportsfix Howard by News Talks.
Speaker 3: It be welcome on into the Sports Fix podcast.
Speaker 2: Hello, one and all.
Speaker 3: My name is Darcy Waldgrave and coming up in this edition on Wednesday, the nineteenth.
Speaker 4: Of March twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: Five, colleague Jason Pine caught up with Chris Wood, Superstar striker All Whites Captain and had a yarn with him and to be rood of us not to play that for you.
Speaker 4: That is coming up shortly.
Speaker 3: I've got some opinion based around.
Speaker 5: Another stadium consortium, but this one might actually work because it's got something the others don't, actual money, I think. Clay Wilson, director of Sport for News Talks heb joins us as we float up and shoot down.
Speaker 3: A couple of the sporting issues of the day. That's our master plan. So without further ado, let's do this. In other news, speaking of sports, Georgia Miller is amped to get back into the filth of the fifteens. The seven Star is available for the Black Fern's World Cup selection.
Speaker 4: The from a Canterbury fifteens.
Speaker 3: Rep is one of seven Seven's sisters to make themselves available for Alan Bunting's defending champions. The tournament is said to go in England later this year.
Speaker 6: There's some high level professionals in that team with heaps of knowledge that man, I just love to learn off and just be a sponge, which I think is really exciting, like a whole new challenge.
Speaker 3: So yeah, can't like for a mole scrum.
Speaker 1: For dirty work.
Speaker 3: Returning White Ferns superstar Soviet Divine is back for the Australian series after spending time away from the game to look after her well being. Did she think though her time was up with the reigning TEA twenty champions.
Speaker 6: Completely honest, Yeah, certainly to be able to have to process through a few of those things. Obviously unfortunately not getting any younger, so they natural came into mind.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I'm just really.
Speaker 6: Excited to be here, just gonna be focusing on each day as it comes and just really enjoying every day with the White Fence.
Speaker 3: Sophie Youth is overrated and Chris what the giant of New Zealand football and all whites Skipper wouldn't mind playing a league football back home when he returns after his EPL time, but with who EFC or Phoenix.
Speaker 7: The Wellington Boys have told me that it's not always like this, so yeah, I'm open to both clubs. That's why we've got two professional clubs in New Zealand's if the time comes and there it arrives that I might be able to come back to New Zealans.
Speaker 8: It was definitely something I'll think hard about.
Speaker 3: Spoken in sport by the stars who are in.
Speaker 1: The thick of it news It's Sportsfix with Dancy halde Greve.
Speaker 4: We're joined now by a very happy man.
Speaker 3: His name is Jason Pine of course sports Fix co host. He is one of my colleagues at News Talk c B and on Sports Talk and he got to catch one of the superstars of football.
Speaker 4: From New Zealand.
Speaker 3: He is the All Whites Skipper. His name is Chris Wood. He is him and the Pine Man Sports Fix.
Speaker 2: Chris Wood, Welcome back to New Zealand.
Speaker 9: Welcome back to the scene of fifteen and a half years ago, a game against Bahrain when in the eighty third minute you were seeing time to help secure a one nil win. What do you remember most vividly about that.
Speaker 7: Night, probably the final whistle when the excitement and everything went round the stadium. Run the team and yeah, knowing that we completed something that was truly historical in New Zealand history.
Speaker 9: Could you ever have imagined that, you know, that would be the springboard for you to go on to achieve what you have as a professional footballer.
Speaker 7: No, looking back, obviously, I'm very proud of what I've been able to achieve throughout my career. It was a great start in my career, been able to go to a World Cup so early on, and hopefully now the old age I can go again then if we're lucky enough.
Speaker 9: So you mentioned the World Cup in twenty ten games against Slovakia, Italy Paraguay, you came on in all three. Do you ever think back to that shot against it only that just defeated the post.
Speaker 7: Look, yeah, it pops into the memories every so often. It would have been nice if it trickled on the other side, but it wasn't meant to be. I think the team done extremely well that year and obviously three jaws unbeatenside in the World Cup. It's a pretty proud moment.
Speaker 9: How determined are you to get back there sixteen years on.
Speaker 8: Very determined. It's been under no illusion.
Speaker 7: I spoke about this so long from a old period times in the other qualifying qualifying campaigns that I want to get back there. It feels like this team and myself have unfinished business on the world stage, and that's what we want to do.
Speaker 9: It's a very different qualification path now. Of course, two games, one against Fiji here and then potentially a final on Monday night. How do you make sure that you just go one game at a time and leave nothing to chance.
Speaker 7: Well, that's all we've got to do. It's what we're focusing on more week. We're focusing on Fiji and that's all we can do because you can't think too far ahead. We're going to have a very tough game here and we need to make sure we're on our a game to come out on top. They're going to cause us problems, but we need to make sure we play our games hopefully nulla fay everything else.
Speaker 9: So the team I think are all together now. I think the last players arrived last night. How do you spend the next forty eight hours as you prepare for the game against Fiji?
Speaker 7: A lot about it as connecting off the pitch, getting back to what we used to and then adding a few implements and training this afternoon tomorrow that we can find tune ready for Friday night.
Speaker 9: You've always answered the All Whites call. You know, you could easily have pulled a mystery hamstring on occasion and not come. You've always come, whether it's a World Cup qualifier or a friendly in some far flung part of the world. What is behind your deep desire to always play for the All Whites?
Speaker 7: The weather, of course, the reason I'm back here. No, I love pulling on the shirt. I love being around these boys. It's home, and even when we're not playing at home, we'reen I go away with this team, it feels like home because you're around the same characters, the same culture that I grew up with, and it's just a pleasure to be around this group.
Speaker 9: Premier League season, can we just talked briefly about that Nottingham Forest having a under full season. As are you at the start of the season, did it feel like something like this was in the offering?
Speaker 7: I don't think anybody can say that we would have been where we are, but we did have high hopes of being top ten or aiming to top ten, and that's where our goals were at the start of the season and hopefully we've been able to achieve that, and now it's looking on and beyond and seeing where we can get to.
Speaker 9: What have been the keys to Nottingham Forest's success this season.
Speaker 7: Camaraderie, consistency, a team sticking together. I think the work we do off the pitch is what brings it on the pitch, fighting for each other, and I think that's shown over course of the season why we've stuck together so well, and while we were at where we are.
Speaker 9: In eighteen goals for you, you best ever return on a Premier League season. More to come, we hope. And you've talked often about how a lot of it is down to your teammates.
Speaker 10: Is this the team in which you have been.
Speaker 9: Given the best service do you think across your elite football career.
Speaker 8: I think it's up there, definitely.
Speaker 7: I think it's a team that creates a number of chances and things like that, which obviously aids in my strengths. I'm a player that strives on delivery and service, so I definitely can't do it all without my teammates around me. So I've got a fantastic team both here and in Nottingham. That's supply me with chances and it's by me trying to stick them away.
Speaker 9: Eighty seven Premier League goals all up. Now, Mark Duka best Australasian is on ninety one. I'm not sure whether you are numbers driven or not, but you were you aware of that stat?
Speaker 7: He yes, I do know the number very well. It is one I'd like to tick off if I can this season. It is a driving aspect, so yeah, if I can get to ninety two this season, I'll be very happy.
Speaker 9: Speaking of numbers, and just back to New Zealand, you are only eight short of Ivan Vistill. It's one of your teammates in twenty ten in terms of overall caps for New Zealand again, is that something in your sights? And maybe on towards the one hundred after that?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I started a set firmly past I was number but hopefully I can get there sooner rather than later if there's no mess ups or anything like that. So yeah, I'm looking to the future definitely, and.
Speaker 9: The only New Zealander to score more goals for this country than you is Amber Hearne. She has fifty three from memory forty one? Again, is that something you'd like to like to perhaps the pass in the time you have left in the.
Speaker 8: All night hell.
Speaker 7: Look, I want to try and get closer least I want to get to the fifty marks. So that's a goal of my horizon. If I can get to fifty three and be joined or get surpassed, that will be down to in future.
Speaker 8: So we'll see where we go.
Speaker 9: Just to finish. Been a bit of talk over the last couple of days and some of the media you've done about a return home. The weather isn't always like this in Wellington, but could I pitch for Wellington Phoenix? They're on a good day. This place is very nice.
Speaker 7: Look, the Wellington boys have told me that it's not always like this, so yeah, I mean, I'm open to both clubs. That's why we've got two professional clubs in New Zealand. If the time comes and there it arrives that I might be able to come back to New Zealand. It was definitely something I'll think hard about.
Speaker 9: And very finally, you're going to be a dad. How excited are you about that?
Speaker 8: Very excited.
Speaker 7: I mean, myself and my wife are very much looking forward to it. She's in the latter station now, so she's just holding strong, holding down the four back home until I get back.
Speaker 9: Wonderful exciting times on the pitch. And offer Chris congratulations on everything you've achieved so far the season with notting the forest. All the best for these these two games to come appreciate it.
Speaker 8: Thank you.
Speaker 1: This is Sportsfix, your daily does of sports news.
Speaker 2: How in by news talks be.
Speaker 3: This time Wow, we'll see the constant debate, the argument, the propositions from numerous consortiums across the nine to put up a stadium that adequately fits the desires, that wants, the needs of Auckland City, Poor Auckland. A number of stadium scattered across the city, all representing various needs and wants for Auckland, but not the brand new superstar stadium that everybody's so desires. So what's changing when it comes to this new proposition. Well, one thing's changing and that is the size. And in this new proposition, maybe a stadium with a size that's fit for purpose in a k. The video has been released a flyover for this proposed new stadium. It's been backed by none other than NBA basketball superstar mister Steven Adams. Ali Williams, former All Black, also fronts the proposal, and of course Animobray and Bill Foley and Bennett Rosenthala behind it too, which is helpful because they're all billionaires. It's going to be a twelve and a half thousand seat stadium. It's in Western Springs, Rest in Peace, the wonderful speedway there. But that's the advancement of life, isn't it. Things change constantly.
Speaker 2: So will this work.
Speaker 3: Several restaurants are outdoor covered basketball courts, and of course a stadium to play football, and it seems that purpose.
Speaker 4: It seems it's going to be the right size.
Speaker 3: It's five k away from central Auckland, may be a bit more than a casual stroll, but I'm sure they'll sort out transport options. The big thing here is will it get built?
Speaker 4: Build it?
Speaker 3: And they will come, But it's the building it. It's been a problem for Auckland for a number of years. Talking with Bill Foley a few years back, he said he gets things done, so maybe maybe he gets this done. And there was a new stadium in Auckland for all of us to enjoy.
Speaker 2: The chamber is now in session on Sportsfix.
Speaker 3: When the chamban Aklay Wilson that joins us. He is the director of Sport for News Talk z B has your direction going, mate, I we're about to find out you in the right way.
Speaker 10: Well let's see if we agree on which way we're going or not.
Speaker 3: Now let's not agree, let's argue. Although I don't think so, we're quite similar in our thought process. So thanks for coming in here. A few stories fighting around the Black Ferns fifteens ahead of the World Cup and the defense of course, are of that trophy which is going to be awfully up over there and England they've got seven seven sisters that have made themselves a vail.
Speaker 10: That fast five times.
Speaker 4: Tell me what you make of the seven seven sisters.
Speaker 10: I think it's a pragmatic decisions. It's on the outside. Yes, Okay, you look at it and you say these players have effectively from what I can tell, been picked for the Black Ferns.
Speaker 4: While you say this is a given. They've made themselves available.
Speaker 3: So that because they're talking about Corey Sweeney and Bunting getting together and having a conversation, so that would suggest that's almost a given right.
Speaker 10: Yes, exactly. And these players are already confirmed to join camps, so they're not picked to play games, they're picked to be in in a Black Ferns squad. But I think you look at all seven of these players, and particularly three or four of them, the more prominent names, and you say, these are very very good rugby players. Okay, they play, they specialize in sevens, but we've seen how they've been able to go back and forth, the likes of Stacy Waika, Teresa Sfaro, Sarah Hidden. He's not part of this trench, but we've seen what she's done in fifteen's that they can go back and forth very well, and in the women's game, very very valuable to a fifteen's team in a World cupier, like you say, without defending a title in the Northern Hemisphere and once again will not be the favorite to win the title if you want your best players, right, and these players in New Zealand are among our.
Speaker 3: Debts, and they don't want to go on there thinking we're defending a title.
Speaker 4: They're going to go in there and win it all over again.
Speaker 3: And there's some speed, there's some aggression, there's some talent in Here's any particular of the seven women there that actually really appealed to you to go, I want to see this woman play well.
Speaker 10: I think the names that will jump out to most people are Teresa Setefaro played it and I remember she had a great fire in that World Cup we hosted here. And of course Stacy Waker is someone who people know very well. The name I think we're going to see more of, or is going to get more prominence with the shift of fifteens for the World Cup is a easy PODi Lane, someone who's really highly spoken about within that sevens environment. She's effectively become the sort of playmaker, the orchestrator of that sevens team, still very young, but has been in that sevens environment for a long time now. Someone who I'm particularly excited to see what she can contribute to a fifteen's environment. Where does she play, I don't know, type of player that you could put her probably anywhere in the back line, maybe not maybe not a midfield, but wing, fallback, half back, you know, like one of those players who has such a great skill set, such a great understanding of the game that really excited to see what someone like her can do. I haven't seen play fifteens can can do and add.
Speaker 3: To a transparent skill, Yes he has them. Georgia Miller's a one to watch as well. Plainly she's made a real statement what she's done so far, and she screens winner, doesn't she?
Speaker 10: Yeah, imagine checking her in at second five in a black Fern's back line. I'm sure Ellen Bunting, who of course has come from that seven's environment, is rubbing his hands together at player like Georgia Miller, who just bus tackles pace to burn skills athleticism Like I say, you know, you look on the other side of it, you say, here's seven spots in a black Ferns squad that aren't going to go to people who are committed full time to the fifteens.
Speaker 3: They want to win first and foremost right, and that's the sacrifice they're going to make. Will this be enoughty thing to pick up the appreciation, anticipation, engagement ahead of the actual tournament itself in England? Or is it a case of the other side of the world it's the middle of the night.
Speaker 4: They might struggle with.
Speaker 3: This one because even though Opiki's had some great games, it's not exactly set the world on fire, has it.
Speaker 10: I think any prominent names you can add to something like this, it's it's gonna help. I don't think or I don't imagine that's why they've done it. They've done it because these players are very good and they think they can help them defend a World Cup.
Speaker 3: We're in a World Cup again, Stop saying defend.
Speaker 10: But these these names, these prominent sevens names, the likes of Georgia Millerstacy Waika Setefana, they do add name value. They do add a next another level of star power to the fifteens team outside of the likes of Noua Demand the players that really jump out of the fifteen's team. So I think it will help definitely in that sense as we get closer and closer to the World Cup and they're and they're involved, and we see them out there playing for the for the fifteens team.
Speaker 3: Sad day and you Seelling Herald a writer Christopher two has been writing for four plus decades and news talk ZB seell inherible part of NZME, so all the sports kids all sit in the same pile together. He's gone hugely missed that with what he does and his style, his attitude around the building, the way he encapsulates his love for sport, and the way he doesn't swim against the type. But he's definitely old man, his own man.
Speaker 4: That'll be missed for sure.
Speaker 10: And you know, I've had the pleasure of being able to sit pretty much right across the desk from from Rats when he's when he's come into the office throughout my almost two years here. And you know, first and foremost, just a great guy to have in the team. You know, he's kind of been almost the sort of unspoken comata or of the of the New Zealand heroes that have Newstork ZB Sport team, someone of course has had so such a long time in the industry, has covered so many different things you can't not have an immense respect for him. But also just a lovely bloke. And I think that's a key thing.
Speaker 3: That sometimes say that a lot about people that are leaving because it's the nice thing to say, But Chris really is a lovely bloke.
Speaker 10: Yeah, And I think for someone like him, who, especially in the latter part of his career, has been known as an opinion writer, and we'll often have opinions, because that's what opinions are like that people don't agree with that, people don't see that. That's the sort of that side of someone like him and is just a lovely bloke who's who's really had the conviction, like you say, sometimes to be as omanticity people.
Speaker 3: He rubs people out the wrong way, like Amim Why used to read his stuff at radio Sport Days and then I finally met him.
Speaker 4: We joined up, and I was like, what's this guy going to be?
Speaker 8: Like?
Speaker 3: I was very defense of like, Wow, he's really nice. He's just strong convictions and he doesn't mind saying for great debate around the.
Speaker 10: Office too totally, and like that's how some of our best story ideas, those kind of directions you want to go and are formed by having those discussions, those debate debates, rats watches everything. This is another thing I learned about him. You know, when he makes these these statements or has these opinions, they're not things that he just comes up with off the cuff. He loves and lives for sport. He has his whole life and he knows what he's talking about. You might not always agree with him, but he knows his stuff. For sure, so definitely a sad day. I mean, forty odd years is a long time to be at any company, let alone in an industry like ours. It's changed as much. So so a sad day, but lots of lots of great things. I mean you read the back page of the Herald today. He's done some amazing things and a great great man.
Speaker 3: And on that Clay Wilson, Sports News, Director of News Talks He and b we thank you very much for your time and at your opinion, you look after yourself.
Speaker 2: You two does chairs dissecting this sporting agenda. It's sports Vex with Darcy Waldegrave.
Speaker 3: And that's the sports X podcast. Another day, another dollar. Thanks for much for joining us, Darcy water Grave. That's been the nineteenth of March twenty twenty five. Make sure you tune on into sports Talk between seven and eight Monday to Friday with myself or Jason Pine and of course Piney controlling a whole shoot match on weekend Sport between midday and three Saturday and Sunday. If you've enjoyed what you've heard, please spread the word, tell your friends, tell your family better still get them and do it yourself to subscribe to this podcast, and Sports Fix will end up in your inbox on a daily basis. Thanks for listening, Catch again tomorrow Sport.
Speaker 2: Of six.
Speaker 1: For more from News Talks at b Listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on iHeartRadio