Speaker 1: If it's a matter of health, it matters. Health Matters with Daniel Martin. Welcome in, everybody. Thanks so much for joining me on today's edition. Well, David Beckham has co-founded and launched one. Hugh Jackman and Lewis Hamilton are investors in another one. It's the rise of these supplement all in one drinks. You know, it comes to you in a powder form, you stir it up. It's supposedly science pack, researchers, clinicians from big name. Global, um, clinics and, and medical facilities like Mayo Clinic and all participating in this researchers from there. And the idea is it could either replace the existing, you know, multiple supplements that you're taking or even in some cases, maybe reverse aging or help you in the de-aging process. I mean, that's a bit of a stretch, or is it? Now, these are proven so successful that they are in a subscription-based form as well, can be a little bit pricey. And got these celebrity backings as well. So some of the big names out there and you've seen the ads on your social media as well, AG one, the green color powder, IM 8, the new David Beckham one, which is a red color powder. There's all this branding and marketing into it as well. Can they actually have an impact on your health? That's my question today before you get Fooled by the celebrity sheen of it. Let's drill down and talk a little bit about it. Welcome back to the show, Doctor Benang, consultant endocrinologist and chief medical officer for NSAS, and over, is it over or OVA? O, OA it is. Doc, welcome back to the show. Hi. Hi, how are you? I was tempted. I was tempted by one of these, I tell you. Honestly, it seems too good to be true when you see the medical panel of the people that put the research into it and all that kind of stuff, you're like, wow, wow, looks quite strong, looks quite legit and above board. What's your bottom line intake? It, can it replace the supplements you're taking every day? Can it help with anti-aging? And improve your health.
Speaker 2: I think the shortest answer I have is maybe, and we'll address each one in turn. I think the easiest one to address is the anti-aging claim. I
Speaker 1: that's the thing, ever since the billionaire started trying to reverse his age, Brian Johnson, yes, everybody wants to find out whether medically we can do this now.
Speaker 2: I think that if it did work, sign me up as well. The the data that we have for anti-aging is extremely limited, and I think the, the concern that we have, you all see all these things they, they call scientifically proven, and if you really look at it here, many of them are in studies in animals and in humans, usually very, very small numbers, and the concentration, the amount of uh uh. The supplements you need for the NAD Revitrol, and so forth, you need pretty high doses, and it's not always in that. So many times they say, oh, you know, this amount, this particular supplement can reverse aging, but what they don't say is the amount of supplement that you need and the concern you have is when you come down to the replacement all in one, I love the concept of all in one, but it comes with problems now. We talked about the nutritional benefits. Now, can supplements work? Of course, it can, can it be healthy? Of course it can. Can it help immunity? Of course, it can, but the theory assumes a huge thing. It assumes you are deficient. So if you are not deficient, then why are you taking it? And that's what I say with many of my patients, if you have an all in one supplement, it makes a Huge assumption that you are, you are deficient in everything, and clearly that's not the case, isn't it? I think certainly we may not have the best balanced diet in the world, and certainly we, I, I opened many of us may be deficient in one or two things.
Speaker 1: Vitamin D deficiency is known to be happening in Singapore for a lot of people, the irony, for example, but the point is you won't know until you get tested,
Speaker 2: exactly, right, or sometimes, even sometimes. OK, going through a dietary history or sometimes people with specific symptoms, you can get a pretty good guess on what they're potentially deficient in. But if you have an all in one, in other words, I have give you everything, it comes up several issues. One, there's a risk of overdose. Ultimately, everyone thinks that, oh, you know, all these supplements are good for me. They are good, but there's something called RDA which basically means the recommended daily. And that's like
Speaker 1: the bare minimum, right? It's recommended daily allowance like the bare minimum you need?
Speaker 2: Yes, there's the bare minimum you need or simply look at it the other way, the amount you actually do need. So once you hit your RDA and that's the recommended daily allowance for 98% of the population. So yes, they are stragglers, but long and short of it is that the RDA, if you follow it. You are pretty good, you're pretty certain that you're gonna get exactly what you need. Then you come to a situation where some of these supplements promise 500%, 400% of the RDA, and we know that there are potentially side effects. Even when you talk about vitamin D, yes, you're right. Most of many Singaporeans are vitamin D deficient. The problem. Then many people know that and the amount of vitamin D they take is incredible. So we do have patients who are people who take vitamin D and vitamin D toxicity can happen. So when that happens, your calcium,
Speaker 1: how much have you got to take for that to happen? Because let's say the recommended daily allowance is like 500 mg or something like that or 1000, let's say. Does that mean somebody is taking 5000 or 6000?
Speaker 2: We have people taking 10,000 a day, and they've done this for years, and what happens it's
Speaker 1: not, no, no,
Speaker 2: no, no, definitely not. And I think that's a very, very clear thing. Vitamin D is common, well probably the more common ones, zinc toxicity. It can lower immune systems, cause nausea, so that's an issue as well. Uh, vitamin C, we always take vitamin C when we fall sick, you know, because. But if we take too much vitamin C, that can cause kidney stones. So if you look at that together, I think the first question is that do you need the supplements or not? And more importantly, is it going to be any any benefit to you if you are already replete in that number.
Speaker 1: So if somebody was to order and take some of these 92 in one kind of things, but they're also taking their own supplements on the site. Let's say, and they're not replacing that risk of overdosing is there and also the assumption that you're deficient in all of this is not true.
Speaker 2: I definitely not unless you have a very, very strange diet. I think most people, we accept most some people can be deficient, but I think if in Singapore we have you have access to food and so forth, most healthy people, you shouldn't be deficient. I accept. There are certain groups, uh, people who have uh intolerances to certain kinds of food, lactose intolerance, some people who are doing interesting diets, the low carb diet, keto diet, intermittent fasting, where you have less uh availability or less time to eat certain kinds of food. I accept there can be some deficiencies, but I don't accept that someone is gonna have no. Uh, across the board, deficient in everything. Therefore, I must take a supplement for
Speaker 1: everything. That's a good point. I always was, it's so interesting here to say that there's this risk of overdose as well, because I always assume that if you just take too much of something, your body's gonna just pass it out for when it comes to supplements. And basically, if you take too many supplements, you're just gonna generate expensive urine. Um, but that's not always the case, is it? Well,
Speaker 2: I mean, there, there's a limit. our bodies are extremely intelligent. I mean, think about it. Water is a common thing, isn't it? We, the more we drink, the more we pass out, but there's always a limit where your body says, hang on a second, I can't do anymore. You're putting too much in. And ultimately, although I'll accept the risk is not high, but Then the risk is there so you you go back to the first question, do you need it in the first place? And although I, I, I, I agree again I agree there's probably a place for all these supplements out there. I think we have to have a bit exercise a bit of caution when we start any kind of supplements and I think to any of the listeners out there, the first question we ask is, yes, I want this supplement. The question you should ask is why? Why are you in the supplement and. And we must be clear, supplements don't have real therapeutic benefits, you know, if you've got a headache,
Speaker 1: it's not gonna cure anything
Speaker 2: exactly it's to supplement what you're not what you think you don't have or what you don't have. So if you have it, is there really a benefit in taking more of it? And this is where the RDA comes in, the recommended daily allowance if you already. Have that and you're just increasing more there's no benefit yes I agree certain situations uh again uh under certain medical situations you may need more for reasons we can discuss at some stage, but for most healthy people I think we'll be very, very clear uh if you can get something from the diet I think. That's a lot more useful because if you're low on something like vitamin D, zinc or something, almost certainly you're gonna be low on other things because what it means is that you're probably not eating a certain kinds of food, and this kind of food is going to be deficient in several other things as well.
Speaker 1: So really, if you're getting everything from your diet and your lifestyle, or the bare minimum or the RDAs. Many people could actually be wasting their money with supplements
Speaker 2: potentially, potentially, but I think we have to be clear. I mean, I don't want to kick supplements to the side. I think they do have a huge but
Speaker 1: it should be a more bespoke approach to it. Know what you're deficient in and use the supplement to make up for that. It's different for every person.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and I I think that we have to be clear that I, uh, if you're gonna take a supplement, I would prefer that you go more specific you've got certain complaint, you got certain deficiency then you replace that deficiency that when you take something altogether you get a hodgepodge of so many minerals, vitamins at one time you have a risk of. Overdose as we said too interestingly you would know that if, if you have too many minerals at one time, I mean we we we it's instinctive we take different medications different medications can interfere with one another. suddenly these minerals can interfere absorption wise, for example. So calcium and iron very well known if you take it together, nothing gets absorbed copper and zinc, if you take it together, you get an interference. So ultimately if you put too many things together. Ultimately, how much is actually being absorbed and how much do you actually need?
Speaker 1: When you looked at the ingredient list of some of these all in one powder supplement drinks, do any of the ingredients also worry you besides the idea of the clash, I mean, some of them are adaptogens and herbs and things like that. I mean,
Speaker 2: my main concern with that is not, I don't think it's dangerous per se. I think my first question is that, is it applicable to everyone? Because I think the concern I have is that Uh, these things are all let's, everybody can take this, and I just I just a bit cautious that are there groups of people who don't need this, especially those who are already on different kinds of supplements or actually have a very good diet, uh, I don't, I think the risk of harm is extremely low. However, the, the, the benefits are questionable.
Speaker 1: Having said that, there are some that do need it, right? that do require
Speaker 2: absolutely I think the the most obvious ones are those with medical problems, those people with uh example kidney disease and so forth, they have poor calcium absorption, they have a risk of bone disease so I think those people need it for the normal population. Many of us now uh very trendy low carbohydrate diets, intermittent fasting. I think those people, they are potentially at risk of. Nutritional deficiencies simply because they have for intermittent fasting, they are taking less time, they have less time to eat. So in other words, they have less meals. So it's difficult to cover all your nutrients if you're taking 2 meals a day or 1.5 meals a day with 3 meals a day. So for intermittent fasting, I think sodium, potassium, uh, omega 3, very important because these are things you tend to forget, uh, in time. If you're doing intermittent fasting, just make sure you have enough fiber, hydration is very important because these things are ketosis or or low carbohydrate promotes dehydration. So I do think that in specific circumstances, you may want to consider supplements and I think it will be helpful, but I don't think there's one supplement that fits everyone. No,
Speaker 1: exactly. That's why I really think that I'm bewildered. That this approach is being taken in 2025 because we should be at that point of a bespoke approach to your health. I really firmly believe that, which is, we know what your problems are, we're gonna address them specifically.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and I think the, the, the thing is that it gets very trendy when you start getting
Speaker 1: the David Beckham and
Speaker 2: nothing against any, I won't name any celebrity.
Speaker 1: I shouldn't say Daniel Martin launches a drink or something like that. Who knows, we'll
Speaker 2: never know, but I think that, you know, when you look at celebrity, I mean, with all due respect to any celebrity, but these are
Speaker 1: sportsmen, athletes, you know, they've worked with sports physicians. I mean, that's the branding that comes along.
Speaker 2: True, but I, I'm quite certain that they didn't get to where they were taking the supplements they're endorsing. So I think that that's the important thing, uh, to appreciate kudos to them. I'm sure they have an excellent regime, but the concern is that they didn't get to where they are using this formula. So that's the concern that we have that. But
Speaker 1: the thing is, when you look at some of these are the panel of medical experts seems very impressive. The fact. They keep talking about this is science fact and research based. I mean, again, pinch of shock because these are not necessarily all published in peer reviewed medical journals or anything of that nature, but these are people from, like I said, Mayo Clinic and stuff like that who are participating in this.
Speaker 2: I think the important thing to take home as well as I'm not saying there's no benefit. I think at this point in time, the lack of evidence doesn't mean that it doesn't work, but rather the fact that we don't have anything at the present. Time, so I don't wanna knock it at the moment, but to be able to say this is definitely something that's going to change your life and and to to put it on paper that is gonna make you healthier, I think that's the concern that we have again, I think supplements do have benefits. I mean in over and we have our own supplements as well, but the important thing is that we are specific ultimately we have a symptom, we have a for
Speaker 1: the individual.
Speaker 2: Potentially we're looking into that, but the most important thing is people have certain kinds of complaints we analyze and we think these people are deficient and ultimately we replace. It's not a simple thing you walk in here or I'm tired and or my friend is taking it, everybody should be on this supplement. I think that's,
Speaker 1: that's the potential for me like again that kind of referral system that shouldn't,
Speaker 2: yeah, yeah, I think again, supplements are to supplement, you know, and everybody is different. So I think if you have any particular complaint and all, all that, I think you still have to go to the old adage, go see a primary, uh, go see your healthcare professional, discuss that and see. I think the concern is that let's not try to um take things on too much on our own, but you know, just, and just pick the supplements that you think you're going to need, uh, because you may not need them at all.
Speaker 1: In fact, that was the question that one of our listeners just WhatsApped across at 963-11938. They asked, Can I go to a doctor and take a blood test to find out what I'm deficient. In so that I'm not overdosing.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and I don't think you sometimes only blood tests can certainly confirm it. I think a good not only blood test, but a good dietary history and many nutritionists, dieticians, and all it can do that uh because at the end of the day, you can't test for everything even for blood. I mean, you can, but we don't, it's not really practical, isn't it? I think if we go, go down, we we make sure that you're not overweight, underweight, we should go through your diet, what do you eat in a typical week, uh, it's we can get a pretty good idea on how. potentially balanced or unbalanced your diet is uh if you your specific uh dietary preferences, you're vegan, vegetarian, uh or you don't like certain kinds of food, uh you're intolerant to certain kinds of food, for instance, lactose intolerance and you avoid milk, for example, then it, it becomes clearer and easier to actually uh evaluate what you're potentially deficient in and I think during these times supplements are very helpful because you already know what they're deficient, they clearly need it. So, ultimately, you can replace that, but we need to be clear what you're replacing.
Speaker 1: Because I know as an endocrinologist, what you're also interested in is the idea of balance, right? The hormonal levels, or whatever, and I'm wondering whether if you're taking all the 192 supple, you're putting things out of balance as well. And if, if you're not specifically addressing what you get, if things are out of balance, can it lead to like long term issues? You talk about the patients or Individuals who are taking a 10,000 mg vitamin D for long periods of time and real damage can happen.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, of course, again, they are rare. I mean, you, you're right, there's a huge range in which in which you can take, but again, why do you put yourself in potential risk the high uh high vitamin D, high calcium, potential heart disease, and so forth, and you kind of think about it, you didn't really need to go down that road in the first place.
Speaker 1: Another question came in. This person says, I'm a big fan of juicing and green juices. Are those enough to make up for nutritional deficiencies?
Speaker 2: Um, well, they can replace some of the deficiencies that you can have vitamin C, for example, but I think
Speaker 1: that fiber, vitamin C, but not things like omega 3 fats.
Speaker 2: Correct, you know, I, I think that, you know, ultimately, we need a balanced diet. At the end of the day, you're talking about greens and fruits, but we're not talking about this magnesium and so forth which you get from your meats and so forth. So ultimately, I think a balanced diet is important. So I think the first thing again to anyone who's considering supplements, take one step back, ask yourself first, do I eat everything? Do I like to eat everything? Do I have a balanced diet? If the answer is yes, and you do eat that. More or less throughout the week, you probably don't need supplements if you're healthy.
Speaker 1: The key is in the name. It's called a supplement. It's meant to supplement and add on to where you're weak in, in your natural diet.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. And if you really look at the data now, at this point in time, there is no convincing evidence that any form of supplementation can beat a well-balanced diet.
Speaker 1: So I don't need to order la. Well, I better go and check first, take our own advice that we've just discussed. But I do tell you, I mean, I do end up taking a lot of pills on a daily basis in terms of like supplements, and I do wish that I could just take one and solve all the problems. But now I understand the problems that can be associated with that.
Speaker 2: But again, the question back to you again is why
Speaker 1: why
Speaker 2: are you
Speaker 1: taking like the bare minimums, I thought I think OK, here I'll admit, OK, the thing I take on a daily basis is daily multivitamin. I take omega 3 fatty acid twice a day, um, which is the 500 mg 21, 2 times. I take a vitamin D, I take a vitamin C, I take a magnesium before bed. And there's one more. See, like, there's so many bottles that are open every morning, it's just
Speaker 2: chat about your diet history and mum,
Speaker 1: isn't that like the bare minimum or something like that, something like that, but I don't know if I'm deficient in those. I know I'm deficient in vitamin D and magnesium is supposed to help with the sleep, so that's why I take those. And the multivitamin is just a good catch-all. That's what I thought.
Speaker 2: Well, I think, I think the important thing I have to take one step back again. We need to know why you're taking it and what I think the vitamin E fair most of us, you know, we don't go in the sun. I think it's going to be you. You're going to be deficient, and I think that that's absolutely right. But I suppose the rest of it, the evidence is not strong. And the concern again as well is that if you have magnesium levels, for example, is normal, what's the dose of magnesium you're taking? And, and I suppose the question to you is, do you think it really helped your sleep?
Speaker 1: When I remember to take it, maybe it does. That's a good point. It's always a pleasure having you on the show. Thanks for coming back. All right, see you. Helping me understand this idea of this rise in these all in one. Powdered supplement drinks. Doctor Bennong, consultant endocrinologist and chief medical officer for ESAs and Ova. This has been Health Matters. Before making any decisions based on the information in our program, please consult a medical professional.