Speaker 1: it's sonia. Welcome to another episode of Men explain. And today we're talking about proposals not mine and I want to welcome our special guest who recently got engaged. It's nick and Hong ling. Hello? Hi sonya, what's going on guys? Congratulations. First of all, I did manage to congratulate you. How has it been so far like as an engaged couple? Any difference?
Speaker 2: Um
Speaker 1: actually for me there's not much, no difference. Yeah,
Speaker 2: only during that period, the moment happened. Some something weird. I can't explain it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay. It's not the language, it's just a feeling,
Speaker 2: I just, I just
Speaker 1: think it's a bit overwhelmed, right?
Speaker 2: Maybe social
Speaker 1: media news and everybody on graduated, so it's too much thing going on
Speaker 2: back to normal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, back to business. So leading up to that moment. I mean it was a very beautiful proposal. Did you already know that you're going to get proposed to? No, actually, no, because I think the timeline got brought forward. Yes, because we plan, we plan to have a wedding like maybe two years to three years. Yeah,
Speaker 2: discussion about
Speaker 1: 2020 2030 plus I'm still very busy or is it
Speaker 2: true of is a no, I think quite
Speaker 1: quite okay. What was the reason for that nick? You want to lock it down? Is it like what's going on? Because
Speaker 2: I wanted it to be a surprise for her. Okay. If I do it around the timing, maybe she will have the
Speaker 1: suspicion or maybe yeah, but you coincided it with her birthday. So you thought that it was a birthday celebration. Yes. And for every year he's quite romantic on my on my birthday. So I didn't really think much of it. Oh, this is just another very romantic birthday generation. Yes, and this time with my friends and family, so it's quite a big one. Okay, so in that moment, what were, what was your reaction were you like, what the heck? No, I just, I just I was very, very touched, a lot of emotions. I was very happy, very touched and I don't know what's going on, but I'm very happy that my family is here and it was many years in the making. I mean you guys have been going out for a long time
Speaker 2: For around seven years,
Speaker 1: seven years. So nick, when did you know that she was it
Speaker 2: She was the one. Yeah, I think somewhere along the 5th of this,
Speaker 1: six long for six years before six dates. Yeah. Really, man, You know, she was
Speaker 2: quite confirmed like after when
Speaker 1: the first
Speaker 2: few months or something
Speaker 1: like the very first day I saw you. Oh yeah, the moment, you
Speaker 2: know,
Speaker 1: I wish I knew who was the one, the moment I see them. I think
Speaker 2: she's more like emotional kind of person and everything goes through her heart. She goes for the like feeling kind of person for me, it's more logical
Speaker 1: anyway. On that note in this day and age where we talk proposals and stuff like that, right? I think it has changed a little bit along the years and you know, I think different generation as well. Um it's not just the traditional way of proposing anymore. You know, I think some girls even proposed to their partners. What do you think about that? Like would you have done something like that or maybe personality wise? Not so much. I would like to but I wouldn't encourage. Yeah. Would
Speaker 2: you do it?
Speaker 1: I tried. Yeah, I do jeremy. I'm not I mean like the one with the ring pop, you know, like, don't worry, this is not like an announcement. Yeah, but he was like this okay, can we just talked
Speaker 2: about? But
Speaker 1: I don't know. In reality, I wouldn't mind. I think I wouldn't mind. I just wonder how that makes the guy feel.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I'm
Speaker 1: conscious of that as well. Like does that make you feel weird
Speaker 2: kind of because it's like norm for man to propose. So when a girl takes the initiative, it kind of feels weird. It's more like how people would think about us. Yeah, I think it's more than that. Like will people think like I do not love her more? Like is it like she's rushing off. She's trying to put some pressure on me. So I'm more worried on like what the
Speaker 1: perception. Okay. And how about you for me actually I worried most about the people's perception as well. Um I'm not sure actually did I did I proposed to you first way because like we both see the seriousness and the love for each other way before the proposal. So we actually talked about our future and we actually plan about our marriage way before. So I'm not, I think I'm the, I'm the first one to initiate, initiate this topic. So is it considered like I propose the idea? I
Speaker 2: think it's more like casual talks about our future can through these small talks, we can like, align with our vision, like what we want in life. And she always like, tell me like she don't want a proposal. Oh,
Speaker 1: really? So I'm serious about it. What did you want then? In that case? I think the proposal is not as important as the eventual marriage, the wedding ceremony for
Speaker 2: the wedding. I think you don't
Speaker 1: want a simple,
Speaker 2: she wanted something simple maybe like if proposal would be a stressful event for us. She can skip it even for the banquet. Just something intimate. Just the both of us. I think she's contented with it. She, that's what she had been telling me. But I still feel like the proposal is
Speaker 1: so he's the one that I wanted to do it.
Speaker 2: Like, and
Speaker 1: I
Speaker 2: wanted to like properly okay approval and her family's approval and also show her my sincerity
Speaker 1: and it makes for a beautiful video and beautiful memories as well as we all saw something that I can tell my Children or grandchildren your like proposed. She's I feel like channel drama right now. Like, so, so you were, you were mentioning that all your family members were there as well. I'm just curious nick can be invisible right now. They immediately approve of nick. Oh they did approve nick like way before the proposal as well. They love him and they mentioned it to me that it is a very good guy and I'm very lucky to have him. So if I didn't like catch him because like they feel that and this like little princess that have temple. Okay. Okay. Yeah. And you do have any siblings? I never asked. Yeah. Okay. So it's not like an only child thing where they're very protective. Yeah. And stuff
Speaker 2: when I decided to do a proposal, the first thing I did was to go to her parents and ask for your permission. So during then she was overseas. So I texted her father about it. So I said, uncle, can I come to your house? I got something to talk to you then. Like
Speaker 1: knows. Of course he knows what's up. He's
Speaker 2: in shock. He thought like something happened. Like is it something overseas or something?
Speaker 1: I see.
Speaker 2: Then he called me and I said, oh nothing, just want to discuss something with you.
Speaker 1: And he's like, what do we
Speaker 2: know sort of, he guessed it like later on. So when I told him about it actually, her mom said something very touching. I like you can
Speaker 1: say in mandarin, I understand. I
Speaker 2: said like, um then she replied something like
Speaker 1: already accepted
Speaker 2: during that particular moment. I can't
Speaker 1: control, you need to cry during acting. Do you tap back into that emotion? You can't do anything.
Speaker 2: But that moment was quite touching.
Speaker 1: He's tearing up right now you guys. Is it the reflection of the light, glassy nous in his eyes or something? I don't know, but it seems to be bringing some tears as well. Yeah. That that in that moment you knew that everything was falling into place, you know,
Speaker 2: I think they have been waiting for quite some time. So
Speaker 1: yeah. Okay. Have you ever tried to hint to you guys?
Speaker 2: Yeah, when, when we talk about it normally because we have a business ourselves. Right? So like when her dad and her mom was talking about it, they will say like, so they really
Speaker 1: classified. So it's already like settled in a sense, they know that you will get there eventually. Right? Okay. So now let's talk about the ring and I want to chat about this because in 20, alone, so many of our, I would say people in our generation age group, you know, got engaged or started to get very serious with their partners and started talking about marriage and stuff like that. And we all know that, you know the concept of the engagement ring itself has also changed over time. I mean, I'm not sure whether you agree, but for a lot of my friends at least it doesn't really matter whether it's a diamond or not, it can be other things. It could be a gemstone, it could be, it doesn't have to be something. So, you know, traditional, some people even give each other watches or something, you know, like a luxury watch as a proposal to you. I mean, okay, maybe I'll start with nick first when you decided to get her the ring. What was going through your mind when you decided on this particular
Speaker 2: 1? Um for me, it's still like more, something like a custom. So like people, I mean men do propose with a diamond ring. So I still go along with it. I wouldn't try something like very daring. Like some other gemstones or something. So I think if they wanted to try something different, I think maybe it's more on the lady side
Speaker 1: or the preference,
Speaker 2: what if I got her? Sophia or something, but she
Speaker 1: has no idea what it means unless it means something
Speaker 2: to you.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, I see for you only like, did it ever mattered to you? I really love the ring. Um it's very simple because I love something simple, classic. So it's very simple. She's a great hand model at this point. She's like, yeah, so you, you liked it the moment you received it. Actually when I, when I saw the video, like the second time I notice I didn't, I didn't even take a look at the ring. I just like, okay, put it on. Okay, so anything, it could be
Speaker 2: anything.
Speaker 1: I mean, of course, that is the traditional way of thinking as well, right? With the diamond, all that and for homely, I mean, you seem like you're easily contented because obviously it's not true. You you're not you're not expecting like a five carat. So what if he proposes something else, would you still be okay with it? You have been alright with it? Yeah, I think I'll be okay because I didn't want a proposal. Yeah, so you have already have a proposal is like a bonus. And I really appreciate his effort and that moment I really felt loved and cherished by him. It was so sweet you guys. But okay, so now that you mentioned the proposal and everything. That was very sweet and something that you remember. But the bulk of the work is going to come in next time during the marriage, right? How do you guys start talking about marriage? I want only one dress, Only one dress. Okay,
Speaker 2: I
Speaker 1: think it's an occupational hazard because you dress up a lot and you doll up a lot for work and stuff. Right. And then when it comes to your actual wedding, you're like, okay, I just wanna,
Speaker 2: I just wanna chill,
Speaker 1: changing,
Speaker 2: changing like yeah,
Speaker 1: Take a lot of time if like, we have like 2-3 outfits and at first he wanted like three and I just want one. I want you to think like
Speaker 2: wedding, I want some memories,
Speaker 1: I think is the bride. I feel like the roles are reversed here. Nick is totally being the bridezilla right now.
Speaker 2: But in the end she just wanted one because
Speaker 1: I insisted
Speaker 2: more time with friends and family.
Speaker 1: She wanted, she wanted
Speaker 2: to be there like sitting down having
Speaker 1: pictures and then like coming in the smoke machine and all that stuff. Right?
Speaker 2: Then it would be quite weird, like quite weird right for me to be changing myself and coming in
Speaker 1: myself. Like where is nick? He's wearing his third tax of the day.
Speaker 2: I think I'll be only wearing one as well.
Speaker 1: So you decided? Yes, I like that. I think we're seeing sort of like, or at least I'm seeing a different side of because I never knew that you were so easy going about all this stuff because sometimes you would think, okay Brights definitely want things a certain way. Like at least that's the traditional way of thinking right? Like the bride is always the one that is the Bridezilla always like wanting this and that. So that's really nice to see. And I wasn't aware of that as well. That was very sweet. So then long term, let's talk long term. How did you guys talk about the important things about marriage. Did you agree on everything like kids finances, house, all this kind of stuff?
Speaker 2: I think we take quite awhile to actually talk it through the first few times. I think there's some arguments but later on we, because I have heard an advice on marriage is that even as a boyfriend and girlfriend, you guys can't talk about something when you get married, it will only get harder. So we try to like communicate and also understand just communication itself. I don't think it works. So we have to understand like where each other is coming from. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So what were some things that you immediately agreed on or disagreed on? For example, housing and kids? Oh,
Speaker 2: kids is still a debate
Speaker 1: now. Still an ongoing conversation. One third we knew we wanted, but like we are still very young and we are very worried that maybe we'll
Speaker 2: get tied down to the kids. We have
Speaker 1: to become your life. Yeah,
Speaker 2: but at the back of our mind, we still want to have kids. We wanted a family eventually. Yeah. But the question now is when maybe when we drag too long, maybe we
Speaker 1: Can have, but you guys are quite close in age so, so it should be okay. I hope right, like five
Speaker 2: years
Speaker 1: close. Yeah, that's quite close. So actually we, we are now like okay, we go with the flow. We doesn't want to plan if it happens to happen. Yes. Okay. Sometimes
Speaker 2: we see something like, yes, we're going to have kids then like the next moment? No, that's, that's not the life that you want? It's
Speaker 1: still changing. What did you see or witness that? I'm curious. What did you see a witness that made you think? No, I don't want kids. Was there anything when
Speaker 2: we go enjoy at a beach club? Some parents like taking care of their kids
Speaker 1: were very
Speaker 2: like enjoying taking a sip of Yeah, we're like, we're
Speaker 1: like, we're not, we're
Speaker 2: not having this
Speaker 1: when we see like the kids look exactly like their parents like wanted to have kids like that. So that, that aside, what about like finances housing these kind of conversations? Do you find it challenging? Because I know some couples who get into conversations like that and then end up fighting or you know, one doesn't want to reveal too much about the finances and stuff like that. What was the dynamic between the two of you? I think for financial wise, we are, we are quite okay. You're open about talking about it. I think it's because, um, he would save up on his own, but he will buy me stuff that I need, right? So for my side will be the same because actually I don't spend a lot, but if he needs something, I will spend on him. So it's like a
Speaker 2: mutual thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a mutual thing
Speaker 2: and we are quite open about it. She even knew my bank cuts pin.
Speaker 1: Oh really? How early on did she know your three
Speaker 2: to four years ago while we are in our third year or
Speaker 1: what made you guys decide to do that? I think this is a cross over to a previous episode that we did a while back about financial intimacy. But anyway, we'll ask since we have a real life example. So so what made you give that kind of responsibility or
Speaker 2: just feel very secure in our relationship? So I don't mind her knowing like how much saving savings I have or what I spent on. So I think it's the same for her as
Speaker 1: well. We don't have like a particular timing that okay, I need to let him know my people, but there's no it's very um
Speaker 2: just
Speaker 1: natural, organic. Yeah. So it's like maybe he's like pressing the p and then I just saw it.
Speaker 2: I can just tell you the pin sometimes I would even pass her my card to withdraw some money.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, that's normal. I guess trust for
Speaker 2: housing part, I think she had more opinions on it. It's quite easy.
Speaker 1: Some of these thoughts and opinions
Speaker 2: may be the locations like what type of house is she would want for me. It's quite okay. I don't really have any preference on it. As long as the interior looks good and comfortable for me. Yeah. So on this side I think we are
Speaker 1: quite flexible like sort of compromise in that sense. And for housing I'm I think I want a room for myself. Yeah, that's one thing. Is there a reason why is there something we need to know? Work is work, your schedules and stuff, It's very different. And our work starts as early as like seven years, we have to get up at six. So if
Speaker 2: we stay together in the room and disturb each other,
Speaker 1: sleep in what way? I'm just asking? It's like the alarm clock? Oh, okay. I didn't say anything. You disturb each other still in the same room. That sounded very, you know, like implied something. Anyway, so, so you want your own room? Okay, let's get back to that. You want your own room. But of course you will still make the effort to spend the time together, Right? It's more of a practical work standpoint. Yeah. So when you actually get married, are there plans to like slow down on your career and stuff like that or? No. I always wanted to slow down like you Really? Okay. Actually, I thought I'm a career woman, but as I age and as she ages. Okay, as she ages, she says, And I feel that actually work is not as important as the life life experiences. So I wanted to slow down. I wanted to like, um, what's that called? Be mindful. Be mindful of
Speaker 2: what
Speaker 1: surrounds me. Yeah, that's a good way of putting it. I think sometimes we get so caught up in everything that we do, we're always so busy and then sometimes you see people's like social media like they are packed every minute of the day. How do they do it? You know that kind of thing? And then you think also like, are you really enjoying your free time or the fruits of your labor in that sense? Right? Yeah, but career wise nick. How about you? Like, do you also feel
Speaker 2: um I want
Speaker 1: to focus on your business or what, what are some things?
Speaker 2: I think it's more like a passion to me and if I can achieve financial freedom, I think I would slow down as well. But I think it's more on balancing. So if I can achieve financial freedom then maybe I'll cut less on my work. But I think in today's context it would be quite hard to la so I will still carry on even after our marriage
Speaker 1: and you know, I'm sure it seems like you guys are already at a very stable point. I don't think much is gonna change after you actually sign the papers and get married right. Were there anything any sort of like points of contention where you were like, you don't agree with each other? Were there any moments where you disagree with each other? Noah, I don't think, I think, I think we resolve the problems, so I can't really remember. So you solve it immediately. That's how you solve your No, actually we sometimes we talk like quite a few times before we solve the problem. Yeah, but we will sort it out like we won't like
Speaker 2: avoid,
Speaker 1: it's like, what do we disagree on everything?
Speaker 2: I think it's something very small and
Speaker 1: very small. Like, who doesn't want to like invite you? We don't want to invite your wedding. Yeah, Okay, that's it. Yeah. You say like, oh, we need to invite this person and I don't like this person, something like that. That is hilarious. That's the only thing that you disagreed on recently. Yeah. Recently. Fantastic. Fantastic. Okay, so now that you are getting closer, I guess to planning your wedding and stuff, looking back at, you know, the proposal moment um and having that moment, like with your friends and family, did your friends have anything to say or to comment on the proposal? I
Speaker 2: think the whole the event was like, quite intimately. So they told me like, they are quite touched, like, to see the whole the
Speaker 1: whole process,
Speaker 2: Most
Speaker 1: of your friends engaged or about
Speaker 2: to get married. Most of my friends are
Speaker 1: okay. I think I'm the first few. Yeah. So in that sense, do you feel pressure because a lot of your friends were getting married that you also felt like maybe I should step up into that phase of life?
Speaker 2: Yeah, initially I did. But later on, I feel like everyone has their own pace of life. So just go according to it. Don't have to be stressed over like other people's lives or something. So later on was quite okay for me was quite comfortable
Speaker 1: because you know, I'm not sure if you guys agree with me on this, but I had some friends who, you know when all their friends start getting engaged, they start to panic and it started to be like, oh my gosh, I feel the pressure I should be getting married at this age, I should be having kids at this age. You've never felt that way holding no, because I'm always felt that I'm still very young and have my career and I know what I want, it's not a rush for me. Yeah, I mean some people just have like a calling in that sense, right, they just want to settle down and have kids in that way. But your friends are not planning or for my friends, Maybe not because yes, like the same age as me, most singaporean women, they are very independent. So now in this day and age, Yeah, so I don't think they are in a rush. Yeah, okay, so in all in all in good time, I would say any advice that you would like to share when it comes to planning a proposal? I think this question could be more
Speaker 2: specifically to make,
Speaker 1: how long did you take? Two plan the proposal?
Speaker 2: The whole thing took like three months but away before I already had this sort of vision like how I want to do it. So I wanted to create something special to both of us because normally we love to when we travel overseas we love to hike to see sunsets and also love like water activities, diving and snorkeling and everything. So I thought like I have to do it during sunset sunset. So that's how I got the first thing down then I slowly plan about it.
Speaker 1: And you were praying that there was a good sunset that
Speaker 2: actually it rained that day. Oh right before luckily
Speaker 1: actually after it rains I hear that the sunsets are really nice. Was it? Yeah it was a nice day.
Speaker 2: So my advice is no matter how much you plan that there is screw ups for sure but I think with the screw ups it make it makes everything more memorable when we talk about it. Right. Right
Speaker 1: okay so three months of planning and keeping that secret
Speaker 2: from. Yeah when it comes to like people right I'm very worried like someone accidentally say it out right? But luckily they all kept their mouth shut out.
Speaker 1: How many people knew about it in total aside from her parents.
Speaker 2: 30 over
Speaker 1: all of them. I mean they all knew such head in advance. Oh my niece doesn't know. Oh
Speaker 2: yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah my niece, it's like she's six years old. So I think
Speaker 2: for being like a bit more
Speaker 1: she always like
Speaker 2: say all the surprises so only she was carrying that owe
Speaker 1: me. So she thought that you guys were going on like a birthday boat trip or something. Okay. Okay. That's so cute though. She's going to look back at this video and be like, I wasn't a blabber mouth what you guys are talking about. Okay, but for, for Hong ling, I'm guessing that you're going to say no amount of preparation would have prepared you for that moment. Right? Actually, I have not like prepared anything for this. I thought like we are just having fun. Yeah, but luckily I did my hair because I, I just like put on a dress like with simple hand makeup. I wanted that. But he told bony to meet me there. Okay. Um our hair salon. So actually I went and luckily we took like nice pictures together. Yeah. How about your nails? I think my nails as well. But coincidentally, actually I always like did my nails for filming, so it's always neat and clear. Okay, but not now. Yeah, but in the moment. And so after experiencing all this, do you feel that the whole concept of a proposal has been overrated all these years, Is it still the same now? Like you know, is it very important to have that romantic proposal or something very small and simple will do? Actually, I don't think it's very important if two persons are very in love.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And actually I know that for many singaporeans, one of the proposal options are the B. T. O. So actually I don't I don't feel it. Not romantic. And actually I feel very very sweet and it's like the next phase of your life. So There's nothing we don't have to have a very big problem. Because I know you see some people in the news, they're like, oh this guy flew up like 50 drones or like put something on like, I don't know somewhere. Have you seen those like you poorly huge proposals? Right. And I don't know whether sometimes it stresses some guys do like maybe that they feel like their partner expects them to do something similar as well. But I think that times are changing. Like people are getting less fixated on these things, right? Do you feel so?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel so because my friends, they actually still do like very simple proposal. But in the end it just it's a moment between the couple. So what matters most to them? It's the most important. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Would you have been okay if it was just the two of you? Like he just did it privately with no friends and family. Actually, if he was he was back at island. Yeah, it was like two of us you thought it was going to that was romantic. It's like a very romantic dinner by the beach. Just the two of us flowers. So you know it's happening. It's happening just like I did my nails. I already have
Speaker 2: to explain that because it's her birthday.
Speaker 1: I knew
Speaker 2: it was gonna be, I knew like she loved the beach, like a dinner like Dina. So I asked the hotel to plan something for us then I didn't expect like they would do it so grand. You know, kinda like leading to the heart and everything. My heart was like red in color with roses
Speaker 1: and
Speaker 2: candles. Like is this like a bit too much. I just want a simple, you know like by the beach dinner. So in the end I posted online and people like, is it, is it the time, is it like I'm
Speaker 1: going to propose or something. I was like, you had some fun and they give you a yacht. Yeah. And what was going through your mind when I was like, oh my God, this is like way too romantic for you to to be a normal dinner. Yeah, proposal. But at the end of the dinner, there's nothing, you check, you, check the champagne glass, anything and he and nothing, nothing.
Speaker 2: You
Speaker 1: guys laughed about it after, I'm sure. Yeah, that was hilarious. Thanks for sharing that with us. We have never known that hilarious moment. So for myself, I think for my friends and I sometimes we chat about this, I've got a couple of close friends getting married this year and next year as well. So, so we've talked about like, you know if they were to get proposed to the ones that haven't gotten engaged yet, like what it would be like. And some my friends asked me as well and I thought to myself like, you know, if my partner were to propose to me in front of like a crowd, I I would say no, I cannot deal, I cannot deal with the public thing. I don't know. Okay. I wouldn't say I wouldn't say Nola. But I guess that wouldn't be my ideal. Yeah, I think it would be too much. It would be too much. I personally feel that that kind of moment is, is best done intimately, you know, alone or like with a very, your inner circle sort of people that's about it. Yeah. Like nothing crazy or fancy. I think that those are my thoughts. Can imagine if it was like in the crowd, I don't know, New Year's Eve, then the drone is like, oh my God, like that would be so panic inducing, right? You'd be so pressured in that moment. Thank you so much for listening to this episode of Men explain, nick and holding. Thank you for joining us here today. Thank you for having us.
Speaker 2: Thank you. If you enjoyed
Speaker 1: this episode, please hit the follow button. We're on Spotify and Apple podcasts also please follow us at its clarity dot co on instagram and Tiktok for more content like this. And we'll catch you next time, Bye
Speaker 2: right