Speaker 1: Hello and welcome to the Wellness Hour on CNA 938. You're with me, Cheryl Goh. Now working mothers balance their demanding careers, family responsibilities and personal well-being almost like a superpower. Throw in a leadership role at work and well, yes, that balance can get overwhelming at times. Well, our guest, Shreta Bardwaj knows this really Too well, but instead of letting it get to the uh get the best of her, she has intertwined them where being a mother, reshaped her perspective on leadership and purpose and right here on CNN 938 in the lead up to International Women's Day this week, we spotlight the everyday woman. And how she thrives in what she does. So here to share more with us is Shweta Bhawaj, head of sustainability Services at Tata Consultancy Services APAC and ANZ. uh Shweta, it's really nice to have you. On the show, and we understand, congratulations, you became a mummy again with your second child last year. After maternity, you returned to your leadership role at work. So what was it like coming back from maternity leave?
Speaker 2: Hi, Sharon, uh, it's a pleasure speaking with you. Thanks for having me. Um, when returning to work has been a big transition. It's actually one of the biggest, uh, I would say, both professionally and personally. Um, I now am a mother to two little ones. I have, uh, an elder daughter who's 3, and I have a younger one who's, who was born last year, just about 8 months. And so, um, you know, if I, uh, coming back has been challenging, but I would say that, um, what I've tried doing is, uh, you know, just setting some boundaries and, and, and scheduling my time well. So if I look at my mornings, for example, Um, they're, they're both the most demanding and the most rewarding part of my day. Um, I make it a point, uh, to spend quality time with my kids in the morning. So whether it's showering them, sitting together for breakfast, or enjoying some giggles before I head off to work. Uh, so, so that's, that's how, uh, uh, you know, I try obviously being present, and that's, that's the biggest lesson, uh, that I would say, uh, Cheryl, that I've learned. Uh, is that balance isn't, uh, about splitting time perfectly between your work and family. It's just about being fully present in whatever you are doing at that moment. So if I'm in a meeting, I'm giving it my best. If I'm with my children, I make sure that I switch off and I'm with them in that moment. And uh as I said, I also made conscious choices when returning to work. I planned out my schedule. For example, I block my evenings on my calendar, they blocked for bedtime with kids. Um, and then, uh, very importantly, I, uh, leaned on my, my family, my husband, and also my colleagues at work who were just incredibly understanding, uh, you know, during my transition back. And, uh, here I have to call out my, my parents who flew down from India to be with me, just knowing, just knowing that they're there, taking care of, of the baby while I'm away at work, we made it easier.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I love what you said about not striking that perfect balance but just being fully present at whatever you're doing at that point in time because that is really so in line with the focus of the wellness hours that mindfulness and that that presence uh in the moment. I love that sweater. um. So we know you, you took your maternity leave, which is, I would, I'm assuming it's the minimum of 4 months or it could have been even longer. What was it like returning to work after being away for such a long time?
Speaker 2: Um, so yes, it was, it was about 4 months, uh, you know, the last time, which is with the first one, I did kind of add in my annual leaves this time for the shorter one. And one of the things, as I said, uh, you tend to think, oh, I'm doing this the second time, I'm away from work. You know, there are both sets of emotions running. Uh, I want to get back to work, you're eager. What have I missed out? Am I still relevant? All, all those questions are, are there with you. And of course, that's The other side, the other part of you that does not want to leave, uh, you know, obviously a child behind. So you go in with, with those kind of thoughts and, uh, um, you know, I would say mom guilt is, is for real. And I think, uh, we probably as mothers we face it at some time. Uh, but I think, uh, uh, it's one of the challenges that I really faced in all of this, uh, I would say was also making time, uh, for myself. Um, and, uh, you know, I took on this role of head of sustainability services, uh, just a few months before, um, I, I got pregnant a second time. And when I returned to work, uh, my boss asked me, uh, you know, do you want to, uh, take on, uh, Australia and New Zealand as well as part of your overall market responsibility? And I thought to myself, am I ready for this? I have just so much going on, um, you know, so, am I ready for this? And, um, you know, sometimes in life I've been where I've not backed my instincts, but this time I said, let me just put my hand up and what can, what what can happen? Um, you know, so, uh, I, I, I went in for it, and, uh, what this meant and taking on this added responsibility, as I said, that balancing, balancing, uh, the demands of a leadership role, there's a newborn on top of that as a super energetic toddler. Uh, it can feel overwhelming at times and, uh, um, you know, making time for my Myself almost felt, I felt impossible. So it's something that I had to really deliberately work on. Um, and, and I, by structuring my, my day. Initially, you know, we're all, we want as, as, as, I think women, we just want to perfect everything. We want to do it all at one time. Um, you know, you want to be present as a mother, you want to be an efficient leader, you're obviously a daughter, partner. Soon I realized that It wasn't about doing it all. It was doing, uh, what truly matters at the right time. And so finding time for my personal passions, uh, was, I felt key to avoiding the burnout, you know, which comes with just so many responsibilities. And so I made sure that I carved out some time for myself, and, uh, I went back to running. That's something that recharges me. Um, and I, and I truly, you know, here, I, I truly believe that as well. We often, um, you know, lose ourselves, so we mustn't do that. Uh we are individuals or we were individuals with interests and passions before we became mothers, and keeping them alive, uh, sort of ensures that, uh, you know, we, we're good and overall our well-being.
Speaker 1: I love that you carve out those pockets of self-care and you do it through running, and I think that's fantastic. Um, I want to talk to you a bit about the mom guilt that you mentioned, um. How do you, is there, is it, does it ever go away or how do you then cope with it if it doesn't go away?
Speaker 2: Um, look, as I said, mom guilt, I, I think all mothers would experience at some point. It, it doesn't go away. Uh, you know, it's always there with you, but you learn to kind of deal with it. Uh, in the beginning, it's really, really tough, you know, you, you're questioning yourself constantly, am I doing the right thing? I'm leaving my baby behind? Am I doing enough at home? Um, you know, am I Missing out on all these moments, uh, the first probably smile, the laugh, the, the walking, etc. But then I kind of reframed, uh, my perspective. Um, instead of seeing work as time away from my children, I started seeing it as setting an example. Um, I want my daughters to grow up, uh, knowing that passion, purpose, and resilience matter, that, uh, they can pursue their dreams and still be Great, great mothers, great daughters, or whatever role that they want to play. And uh I, I said that, uh, what that means is just be present in that moment. If you're at work, you give your best knowing that you're building a future for yourself, you're building a future for your family, and when you're with your children, you just intentionally setting time um to focus on making it meaningful. Uh, and, uh, I think at work, the supportive work environment at TCS made a big difference, uh, for me, um, personally. Having supportive colleagues and a, and a culture that values this work-life balance uh helped kind of ease that uh guilt. It, it, it, uh, you know, that's, that's what I'd say, uh, Sharon, that's how I dealt with it.
Speaker 1: I love that and I think you're right, having that supportive work environment, um, it definitely plays a part as well. Um, so you know Sweta, that there are women like you who take that maternity and then they go back to work. There are others who may take a slightly longer break, maybe they want to spend the first year uh with their child, um, and then you know they go on to manage the their new household before rejoining the workforce, um. What, what advice would you give to women who are looking to relaunch their careers after an extended period?
Speaker 2: Um, look, again, uh, there's no one size fit all, you know. You, everybody does what works for them best. You want to take a little bit of a longer break, you want to spend more time with kids, and that's, that's fine. Um, I feel the biggest barriers women face, uh, when they're re-entering, uh, the workforce, uh, I can think of 3 actually. Uh, there's a skill gap, skill gap. So, particularly if you're, if you're in the tech sector, it's just so fast-paced, you just feel, uh, am I still relevant with, you know, so much happening, um, and then, you know, it is also, uh, confidence issues, uh, and, and here I feel the imposter syndrome is actually real. Um, and the last bit, uh, I talked about, which is really how will I balance work and, and family and managing those, those expectations. So my, um, advice to tackle these challenges is, um, While, uh, whenever there is an opportunity, uh, you know, whether it is during that course of time, the maternity break, and you can make time for yourself, um, upscale. So participate in upskilling programs, um, that way you will still continue to stay relevant and stay abreast of what's happening. Um, reach out to mentors. Um, I did that. I did not kind of unplug completely, so I was still in touch and I was talking to mentors at work, um, and, uh, also network actively if, if that's possible, you know, you have all of these wonderful, uh, uh, you know, networking platforms. All this will, you know, kind of helps, uh, identify the gaps that you have and the support that you need and how do you really bridge that gap. And I think, uh, uh, out of these, uh, finding a supportive network, uh, and, and, and whether that's your family, it's your friends, it's your peers to talk about your worries, uh, that really help helps alleviate, uh, the stress. Um, and, uh, I think very, very important, uh, if you're coming back and you're rejoining, find us a supportive work environment where you can juggle uh these responsibilities and, and you know, you have so many of these companies that implement policies such as flexible working arrangements and, you know, different career development pathways. So, uh, you know, I think that's, that's very, very important. Uh, the last bit. Do not underestimate yourself. I think we tend to do that when we've been away. Uh, the experience, uh, that you gain, and, and I tell that to everybody, the experience that you gained during this career break, whether it's managing a household, managing kids, multitasking. Um, don't, um, don't undervalue that. It's, it's invaluable and you take that as well, uh, to your workplace when you're getting back.
Speaker 1: That's beautiful. Um, I think, yes, a lot of times women we do so much, but we, yeah, we don't give ourselves enough credit, so you're right, don't underestimate ourselves indeed. That's beautiful, reta, um, and I mean this is the wellness hour on CNA 938, so I got to ask um. You know, with your busy life, uh, what does wellness mean to you?
Speaker 2: Um, I, I think I touched upon it in the, in the beginning. For me, wellness is about balance. It's just finding harmony between your physical health, your mental well-being, um, and, uh, finding that balance between the different roles you play. At sometimes there's, uh, you know, one role which is more pronounced than the other, but being able to kind of balance them, um, and, uh, The second is, uh, of course, as a sustainability leader, um, I see well-being, uh, and sustainability as, as deeply interconnected as well. Um, so I was talking about running. So whether you're running or you're cycling, or you're taking public transport, um, trying to kind of, you mentioned, uh, intertwine that purpose, uh, you know, with, uh, with what you do or, or who you are. Uh, and so if, if you're running, for example, you can. Reduce your carbon footprint and you're obviously also focusing on your physical and mental being. So just making those small intentional choices every day, whether it's using, you know, reusable bottles, you, you know, uh, getting more locally sourced produced food. These little choices they make, uh, you know, a lot of difference in terms of your own, um, well-being and as well as that of the planet. So at the end of it, uh, wellness I feel is about feeling energized, uh, be feeling fulfilled, and that's what I strive for every day.
Speaker 1: Wonderful. And, uh, before we let you go, Shweta, what would you like to say to our female listeners, your, your own, you know, all the women in your life for this upcoming International Women's Day. What would you like to say to them?
Speaker 2: Um, I just like to, uh, say that, uh, of course, uh, advanced wishes for, uh, for, uh, International Women's Day. I think we should celebrate ourselves, uh, uh, we're, you mentioned we are superhumans just trying to juggle between these different facets of life, um, and, uh, motherhood doesn't change all of that if, if only it, it deepens those, uh, those qualities and, um, I really feel that. Uh, cherish, cherish yourself, value yourself, uh, focus on your, yourself and your well-being, and if you're doing well, uh, you know, you can then take better care of, of others around you and, and fulfill, you know, the roles, these different roles that, that we spoke about. So that's, that's my message.
Speaker 1: Wonder, cherish yourself, um, and yes, to take care of your Self, then you'll have, you know, you can't pour from a cup that's half full, right? So if your cup is
Speaker 2: full,
Speaker 1: you can take care of those around you as well. This has been wonderful. Thank you so much, Shwetahawatch, who is head of sustainability services at Tata Consultancy Services APEC and ANC. It's been wonderful and thank you for sharing a bit of your life with us.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much, Sheryl, wonderful speaking with you.
Speaker 1: This is the Wellness Hour on CNA 938.