Speaker 1: Hi, this is Z and I'm Jermaine and welcome back to another episode of Cities. So today we are dressed up in something that is very relevant to our topic. Take a good look at this. Wow.
Speaker 2: Actually this is the first time I'm hearing this term. Pocketing.
Speaker 1: Yes. Pocketing. Well, we're wearing lots of pockets today and it doesn't mean like we're discussing them, we're discussing what you put in your pockets. Let's go around the table. What do you have in your pockets? Sometimes some receipts, some candy wrappers usually does that
Speaker 2: mean like someone wanting to keep me in their pockets? But
Speaker 1: in a, in a way where they're trying to hide you, that's what pocketing means. So apparently being in someone's pocket in a relationship is when they don't want to be public about you, they don't want you to be seen, they want in their pocket, they want to conceal you in their pocket. So before we get to that, let's just set the tone. Ok. So let's say you guys have dated before in the past and all that. How long in general have you waited to introduce your partner to your friends? And family, it's different. Friends is one thing, family is one thing, usually friends faster. Right. Yeah, I agree. I don't know. I mean, for some people, maybe the introduce your family first but for me it is always the other way around friends. Maybe one month, one month. Ok. Is it a fair time line? But for my family, maybe half a year, six months. Yeah. Wow. Yeah, I think for friends. Right. It's ok. Ok. Yeah, they, they see who you've been with. I think that's fine. But for family I think it comes with a bit more complications. What about the other way? How long did you know whichever partner take to introduce you to their friends and family? I think quite fast. Ok. What kind of fast? Sorry. Lesser than youtube
Speaker 2: still. We're talking months, two
Speaker 1: months, maybe rough gauge. It's interesting because I was reading on Reddit right about some people that were lamenting about this whole pocketing. They may not know what pocketing is but they were complaining about how, you know, we've been dating for a year and I've never met any of his family yet. Right. I don't even know if his family knows I exist and that we're dating, but I've never met them. Is that an issue for you? After a year? I think it's a major red flag. I think there's something there, there must be a reason, right. That you haven't met their family unless they all did like there must be a reason why I can't say the same. I can't say this is a red flag because what if the family is toxic? You know, full of issues? This is why my other half doesn't want me to meet them. He's protecting me. What is this the case? True as well? Right.
Speaker 2: Because I'm the kind who take a little bit longer. In fact, I've only brought one person home. Oh,
Speaker 1: as to meet your family. Yes.
Speaker 2: Wow. Maybe when I was a lot younger, I got this feeling from my mother, especially that there's a little scrutiny because I am after all, the only child, the only
Speaker 1: daughter, the bar is high, right? So whoever you bring home, they will be very closely judged and scrutinized. Is that what you're
Speaker 2: saying? And then I feel like I'm also gonna get scrutinized or like I'll have questions to
Speaker 1: answer
Speaker 2: and I just didn't want to deal with that.
Speaker 1: That's true. That's true. It is very complicated sometimes to introduce them to your family. Right? And I will touch on this as well, but I don't think pocketing is necessarily an all bad thing or I agree. But what is pocketing? Right. This is actually not new. It's been around for a few years and I'm sure it's been happening for centuries, but this is the first time I've heard of it. This is so cute. I my pocket. Yeah, I remember when our producers texted us. We're talking about pocket. I'm like, why like stealing people's money in your pocket or something. Pocketing is what happens when you're dating someone in a relationship with someone and they avoid introducing you to their friends, their family, both in real life and on social media. Even after you've been together for a while, it almost seems like you don't even exist in their life. Kind of like they're trying to keep you hidden, right? And they can be used to describe like certain behaviors, like, for example, let's say you're with this guy, you're dating, you bump into his friend and he doesn't introduce you as the girlfriend. He just says, oh, this is my friend hazel.
Speaker 2: That is no. Very
Speaker 1: s yeah. Not appearing on social media, like not being introduced as your girlfriend when you are in a proper relationship, stable relationship and all that. Yes. Yeah. Proper relationship. I think they are like different
Speaker 2: scenarios. And it also depends on, does it feel stuff or does it not, you know what I mean? It could be just privacy. It could just be, this is just between us. Why does it have to involve other people? And it also depends whether it's just hidden from family. Is it just hidden from friends or hid from you? Yeah. But then like, if you bump into someone and you're being introduced as friend that is like, strange.
Speaker 1: I have had that situation not personally but bumped into a friend who was with his guy friend that, you know, a lot of us know is his boyfriend. But then he introduced as this is my friend. This is my friend, my friend that I can understand because he's not out yet. Right? Even though we claim we know and we're pretty sure we know, but he's not out with that public information. So that's another reason why. But some people may think. Oh, is he cheating on me? Is that why? Or maybe he is not just so genuine about me. He's only genuine about me when it's between me and him. But with his friends and all that, he doesn't want to acknowledge we're in a relationship. It makes you overthink. And I would consider like, is he seeing someone else behind my back and his friends and family all know about that girl? Which is why he can't introduce me as his own girlfriend. Because if that is so then you're an asshole.
Speaker 2: Actually the person who does the night show on r she has a segment called What's Up Love,
Speaker 1: what's up,
Speaker 2: what you love? And it's like love stories, problems, complaints and stuff like that. And there was a story that came up recently. So basically this woman, she said she's 27 years old and she was dating this guy who's 44. So almost twice the age, not
Speaker 1: almost twice, quite a bit far, but significantly significant years old.
Speaker 2: Ok. And he told her from the very start that he is a divorcee with one kid, honestly. Ok, so she believed and she had no reason to doubt him, right. He also said that he had intentions to marry her and then she got pregnant. Ok? When she got pregnant, he came clean and said that actually he's still married and she never suspected because he was always available. He would always reply and pick up like there was no like times that she couldn't contact him or anything like that and they always met up. So she had no reason to doubt him after he came clean. He said the wife is always out of the country. Now, she's saying that you got to come clean your wife and fucking marry me because I'm pregnant and he is convincing her to get an abortion because he says that he can't do that to the family. And so she was asking basically when she wrote into Ria, she was asking whether she should get an abortion or go to his wife,
Speaker 1: you should go to the wife. I agree. I know. And if he's not going to do it, you have to do it, right. Saucy. Wow. The fact that you go to R 897, what's up love? That's crazy. And that is exactly why like Hazy said, it is real. There are situations like that where this guy has a whole marriage, a whole family and they're hiding it from you and it's so funny because it almost seems like the wife was the one being pocketed. Exactly. Right. Like it's wild. But there are a lot of reasons I think why people pocket their significant other. One of them a bit more extreme. I'm hiding a family man. A possible as we know from this lady, please give us a call. We, we, we would love to try. Yeah, but there are also more everyday reasons like for example, external pressure, I'll give you this example. This is crazy. OK. This person online says my family has a unique tradition where whenever one of us dates a new partner, the all the members of the family have to vote yes or no on that partner. And all these votes are read aloud from a hat on Christmas Day. You're joking. Yeah. So what if there are more no votes break up? I mean, they didn't say break up. You just know that your family doesn't like this person. What kind of pressure that put on someone? Wow.
Speaker 2: OK. As much as I think that's crazy
Speaker 1: family traditions.
Speaker 2: My God, I recently saw a video actually of this person on Tik Tok saying you go to your friends for everything. Sure, you go to your friends for advice about anything that happens in your life. But when nobody likes your partner, you don't listen to them. Why the hell and then they say that should tell you something. No,
Speaker 1: if nobody likes your partner. I, I, I'm sure it counts for something. Yeah. There are also situations where, like I mentioned earlier. Right. LGBT Q plus situations where maybe you're not out yet, you're not open yet or even interracial relationships because you know that your parents, their parents might not approve. Yeah, I think that's a tough one. A bit more complicated. There are certain reasons like complicated family history. Right. Right. Right. Let's say, let's say you're not close to your family. You don't have that kind of relationship where you introduce your significant other to them. To be honest, I think I'm like that. I don't really prefer losing my other half to my family members. I mean, my sister is like, because my parents are more conventional. Right. And I've always just felt awkward introducing my other half to my parents. It
Speaker 2: feels like there's pressure, want to introduce a
Speaker 1: bit and I feel like I put my other half in a difficult, an awkward situation. I think that if you date someone, you have to be prepared to date their family, no matter how crazy their family is, it's a whole package. I know, but I've always been the kind who like to spend time with my partner. One on one. I don't actually also prefer bringing my partner out to meet my friends. Have you realized I've noticed that? Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. Me on the other hand, I'm the complete opposite. My partner is everywhere I go. So I've noticed that Hazy tends to want to hang out with her friends on her own terms. You know why this is because I feel like then I have time to spend with you guys one on one. And then when I spend time with my partner, it's like one on one, but I can commit all my time and energy to my friends or my
Speaker 2: partner. Do you not feel like you enjoy or you like or you want to integrate them into your social, social circles? Because this person is going to be a part of your life. Anyway,
Speaker 1: if I were, you know, that person that you were dating, right? I would maybe think is it that, you know, if she brings me into a social circle, it's harder to then cut me out next time, right? In the future. Well, I never considered that because once things get very entangled and everyone's become close to everyone else, it gets complicated, right?
Speaker 2: I know someone who has hesitations or reservations, introducing whoever he's seeing to his friends because he cannot. Now before basically the person he was dating was an out of town. So this person has no friends, no social circle, et cetera. So they started dating and then he integrated her into his social circle and then they broke up and this person basically talk shit about him and then everybody became her friend and said, when these were his really good friends, which obviously I said, like, if they can be swayed so easily, were they really your friends to begin with? Right. True. True. But I think if you experience something like that, maybe in future you have some sort of hesitation in integrating whoever you're seeing into your social circles.
Speaker 1: Sure. Yeah. But how do you then know, like, am I in someone's pocket? Like, am I, am I being pocketed? here are a few signs if you're dating someone right now and you're like a bit s, yeah. You see how many of these you take, he or she never makes plans involving you and other people in their life. So they only meet you when they meet you and then if they meet their friends, you're not there. You, but that's not because I'm not proud to show him. It's because I genuinely enjoy time one on one with different groups of
Speaker 2: people. I think we're the kind who enjoy togetherness, assimilating
Speaker 1: them as the two together together. Yeah. Yeah. I mean, usually when I date someone right within the first month I'm hanging out with their friends. They're hanging out with my friends and things like that. Yeah. Number two, they make, they make up excuses on why you can't meet their friends and family. Like things like, oh, yeah, the timing is not right or no, you know, my family are very complicated. I want you to see them. I mean, I do think they could have valid excuses for that. But sometimes excuses are just excuses. You know, you meet at secluded and discreet places. Never in a public place. You never catch yourself in MRT with this person. Only like you when I come over what you do like things like that. Like I want to come over to my, hang at my place or we hang it in like I don't book but it was a, it's a nice place. OK? It's secluded. It's different than like hanging out in Buki Bato and hanging out on orchard road. Am I right? I'm wrong. You are OK. That's more and I of course, I don't know. So they are less likely to bump into someone that you might know you in like a discrete area. OK? Understand that may also be like, hey, how come you know a little bit, right? They don't tell you much about the people in their social circle friends. All the guys I date would know about you too. Like I ramble on and on about the people in my social circle chosen so harsh podcast. They know everything about you girl and you know, they do, they do, excuse me, don't say we I I this is the example I gave if you run into someone that they know, let's say you're with them, right? You are never properly introduced as like proudly like hi, this is a my girlfriend. But unless this is communicated previously that you want to keep it low key, low profile. Yeah, that's true. So, yeah. But if it's a serious relationship heading towards marriage and both of you wonder world to know, then there's a problem. That's true. Ok. I
Speaker 2: know someone who is now married in the first couple of years of dating. He pocketed her. Did not. Yes. Yes. Oh, I think 23 years. Ok. Did not introduce the friends, Did not introduce the
Speaker 1: family. Did they know she existed? I'm not too sure
Speaker 2: about that. Oh, wow. But it's a kind like, oh, I'm gonna hang out with my friends. Oh, can I come? No? Why? But I think not entirely pocketed because I think in that couple of years maybe brought her to one gathering with
Speaker 1: friends and you said they're married now? Yes. But now she's not being pocketed. Not, she's like a batch now on the, on top of the pocket.
Speaker 2: Yes. But I asked why. Actually I was a wire and she herself said because in the first couple of years he wasn't certain, he wasn't certain where it was going. He wasn't certain if she was going to be in the next 20 years of his life and would prefer to not deal with the aftermath of removing this person from circles
Speaker 1: that's valid. Love myself, a rational man, man. Like that's logical and that's very mature. But it's also hard to say to someone, hey, you know, I'm kind of pocketing you because I'm not certain about you that's gonna break any person's heart. You don't have to say you can tell from the signs like you never appear on your social media, social media. I think it's quite tricky. There are a lot of people that say if you don't post about this person on social media, you're not properly like public with them. That's bullshit. Like being in our line of work, I've learned to be discreet about my personal life because it protects me and the people I love. Of course, by not posting certain things or certain people, I don't think that I'm treating them any less. So why do you, what was the thought process behind not posting about certain people in your life? So I was in a relationship for about 1.5 years, right? And in this entire time, I didn't post anything about that relationship, but we have actually achieved common consensus that this was going to be the case because yeah, like what's wrong mentioned? I don't want to deal with the the aftermath. If things didn't work out and true enough, it didn't, but I don't, I don't mind holding hands in public. We do hold hands in public but I just don't post about it, you know,
Speaker 2: but if you see that you see
Speaker 1: I'm not hiding anything. Yeah, I'm cool but I don't put it up on social media for
Speaker 2: me as well. I understand this because I'm very private and don't talk about partners, even friends and family. I don't post to me, my rationale behind this is I chose this life. They didn't, oh,
Speaker 1: fair makes sense. To be honest. I've never really pocketed anyone. The person that I'm dating now. I think I did try to, I did try to pocket him for a while at the start because I, I just felt like I didn't want to lose him, right? By introducing him to my friends, family or even like on social media, there's a chance that external factors can then come in and affect that relationship, especially when it's so new and so fresh, right? So, so I held off as long as possible introducing him to my parents. In the end, I had to because I was in the hospital for about a week and I was very sick and he was there to take care of me because my family weren't in town and they were like, who the hell is taking care of our daughter and like bring her food and soup every day. So I had to come clean like there's someone there. And then he says to me is literally the opposite of pocketing on social media. He says I want to post like, like something on my social media like as soon as possible, right? Of a photo of the both of us. And I'm like, why we've only been dating for like two months at this point, like really dating for two months. And he says, no, I want to make it a statement out there so that, you know, people stop bothering both me and you who still think that we are single, right? I think that I'm single thing that he's single. And then I was like, wait, but I haven't put my parents here and they follow me on social media. If they see this, they're gonna have a heart attack. So then I was like, ok mom, OK, that and then I told them there are a lot of things stopping me like age gap, like nature of work and things like that. But at the end of the day, I am still glad I did it though. I am trying to cut down posting on social media because I I learned about this concept recently called The Evil Eye. Have you said that? You know I'm talking about, no, I've only ever experienced it in Athens the Blue Eye Evil Eye, right? Posting about anything good in your life in your life on social media. Like I got a new job, I got a raise. We are together, we in happy relationship. People say the myth is it will invite evil or jealous eyes that can then wish bad upon you. Basically that jinx what you have something like that, right? Yes, I
Speaker 2: think it's also an energy thing. What you want to avoid is people having ill feelings, negative energy towards you. Basically, it's not that they jinx it or it's not that because of them something bad is gonna happen, but it's a possibility
Speaker 1: and if you don't post a you don't, you can't invite it. Yeah. Well, I've never seen it this way. This is, this is where the close friends function come in handy. Just you want to share it, just share with people whom you trust. That's true, right? And you can still share that joy and happiness. That's true. So I'm assuming that both of you don't really care if your partner doesn't post you on social media. I gotta think about it. OK. OK.
Speaker 2: Let me raise something. So just now we were talking about us where in a lot of work etc now let's bring it to someone, for example, with
Speaker 1: no, not in the media, not in the
Speaker 2: like let's say it's a random person on the streets with 300 followers, all friends. Why? You know, I don't
Speaker 1: think it's a problem because honestly, whatever people want to post on social media, it's up to them. If I only just want to post pictures of food and nothing else in my life and I have 300 followers, why can't I do that? Right? You can Yeah, it's not like I have an Instagram page with like 50 followers. I have to post my partner for the relationship to be legitimate. What if you post
Speaker 2: everything? But your partner like this person. Very active. Always in a story, the food, the place, the holiday, the everything. But you,
Speaker 1: oh, man, this is tough. This is tough. That's a bit tough. Yeah, a little, I will feel pocket. Yeah. So this is coming from a situation of no one's in the media, no one's in entertainment or that reason that we say for hazy. This person, right? Did he post about you in that 1.5 years? Oh, yes. Oh yeah. Close friends list. OK. Sorry CFL doesn't count though. It's like sending a chat, a message in whatsapp is the same thing. But at least I'm happy after I see about me. I know. But then you never post him. Yeah, I'm very double standard. Go like that. But you see the also never work out. It's true. It's true. So more of the story is you post or you don't post. It doesn't matter. It doesn't determine whether or not your relationship will be a success. You happy. But I have to say I never pocket the guy. He just doesn't appear on my social media. But my friends like yourselves. My family knows about him. So let's say, right? You are at ac San San event and one of your long time most loyal comes up to you and say says he so like actually you're dating someone, right? You have a boyfriend, right? OK. So this happened once I was having noodles with him just somewhere outside. And then a listener bumped into us. Right after that. When I went on air, he sent in a text to my station phone saying, hey, I saw you and the guy eating noodles at this place and I'm just like, y of course, I didn't reply. Right. Because it was a public kind of setting. But if he had seen me 1 to 1 and asked me about it, I would admit that I'm in a relationship but hope that he will keep it private because you wouldn't lie. It's hard for me to lie. I understand. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Ok. We're talking about introducing to your friends to your family and all that. Right. Yeah, I feel, and feel free to challenge me. I feel like introducing the person you're dating to your friends and family. Too quick is a red flag.
Speaker 1: I agree. How quick is too quick? One week? What are we talking about this person? Like I'm, I'm seeing this person on a very casual basis. That's fine if you tell your friends that. But if you introduce this person as your boyfriend within the first week, then I think it's a bit too fast.
Speaker 2: But what if never introduce his boyfriend. But then like, you're dating this person and you're dating this person for one week and you bring, and you're like, this is a, I see. Friends
Speaker 1: is ok. What? Yeah, just like, you know, just hanging many people coming together hanging out. I met his parents after three weeks of dating and I met his whole family literally four weeks after that. But that was because of circumstantial. I was gonna say that circumstances. Ok? Just OK. And it was a good time there. Right? Thank you. Thank you. My life decisions too soon is a red flag. Ok. Do you agree? Disagree. Agree. Too serious. Too soon may be a bit of pressure on this person. I think you want to have what they call shit here. A world of these two people. People don't. How do you, is there an English translation? A world of two people? Just it just time spent between the both of you your own space, right? And just know what you are before you introduce your friends, your family and make it very complicated. OK? So
Speaker 2: here's the thing that was once OK, I went out with someone and before the fella even went on that first date, the whole family already, I was very uncomfortable. By the way, I was like, why?
Speaker 1: No, but maybe this is his way of showing you that he's genuine about this relationship. Maybe he's very close to his family and he tells them everything. Is that possible? Yes, it is as we have seen. So if you are uncomfortable with that, then maybe she was not the right one for you as we found
Speaker 2: out.
Speaker 1: So trust your instincts.
Speaker 2: I was very uncomfortable with that. And then after the second date coming home as in to meet the family, like
Speaker 1: a new situation, like faster than everyone or what? A second date.
Speaker 2: No commitment
Speaker 1: issues. First of all, I think it really differs from its a you problem
Speaker 2: problem. But do you not think it's a red flag
Speaker 1: though? Second day is a bit fast, combine with your commitment issues? It's, it's like explosion. Then at what stage of the relationship do you think that? On the other hand, you should be wary of signs of pocketing? I think that it comes to a stage in your relationship where you have to communicate about it. We always talk about this and it's true. You just, just approach the conversation. Don't go in, in an accusatory way after you hear this podcast, right? You go to your boyfriend, like why you pocket me? Don't do that, right. Approach it in the sense where you're like, you know, yesterday, when we bumped into your friend, you introduce me as a friend rather than girlfriend. Was there, was there a reason or did you feel uncomfortable introducing me as your girlfriend? And what? Right. Ask them and tell them how you feel? Like I was hurt. I was a little uncomfortable. I was upset and I would just like to understand why, like, approach it from a very mature point of view and just talk things out. Absolutely. Yeah, I do agree about that. I also do think that pocketing may not always be bad times. Like for example, you know, like your parents have a lot of scrutiny, you know, that your parents have traditionally never been approving of anyone that you date. Then you kind of want to keep this person to yourself for a bit longer because you like them so much that you don't want anything to spoil the relationship. Yeah. So it may not always be bad even though it's very much paraded as a negative thing. It may not always be bad. And especially for certain agent parents, like I feel like they will expect the relationship to end up in a marriage kind of situation. So that kind of puts extra pressure that's unnecessary on the relationship and that's suffocating us. Very tough. That's true. OK. So on this note of communication, how do you think couples can pace more effectively? Like when do you see the friends, when you see the family, stuff like that? I feel like this is something that should be discussed right before you get together, even even in the dating phase. If you know that this is hated somewhere serious, before you step into a relationship, you should talk about all this. But before I stepped into a relationship, don't know whether II, I told all my closest friends. I said, I don't think this is a guy that I'll bring home to meet my parents. I don't think I'll meet his family. I don't think we'll ever post about each other on social media and then, ok, so, even though you may think, right? I just think it's hard to predict this situation. I think once you're in a relationship, talk about the future, not like 10 years down the road, but six months down the road. Yeah. Ok. Fair. Because when, if you ask too early, right? Like you're only dating, right? And you're like, we're gonna introduce me to your parents. It's a bit of a yes for someone like a zero of commitment issues, she will run faster than the F one car. Putting this in the context of someone who matters, who loves you and wants to meet who you
Speaker 2: love. I think sometimes like when you're going to introduce me to your friends, people don't usually discuss that because sometimes it's sort of just like you think it's gonna happen naturally and then it's when it doesn't for a while, then you start questioning, right? But then like to sit down from the start to discuss it. It's a little bit scary because you both don't really know where it's headed. You're both trying, but you are also afraid. Like, if I had to raise the question, I would feel like, wow, do I look like I'm coming on so strong. Do I see?
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, like a psycho? OK. So let me, so let me rephrase this question instead of when are you going to take me to see your friends or when are you going to take me to see your family? How about, will I be someone whom you introduce your friends or family or? How
Speaker 2: about something? Like, would you be open to hanging out with my friends? Maybe after some time has passed?
Speaker 1: Ah, ok. Ok. So you come from your point of view and say that's nice. That's very encouraging. That's true. I still think that at the end of the day let things happen naturally. If it's like the two year mark already then reflect. But
Speaker 2: the one I told you about just now,
Speaker 1: now they married who was pocketed for two or three years. Yeah, I still think at the two year mark she should have said something. I
Speaker 2: mean, but here's the thing, right side note for guys, chances are from the day you're met or from the day you start talking all her friends knows about it already. Trust me. First of all, I have a nickname already. There's a code name flying around somewhere. She knows everything about you. Your messages have been floating around,
Speaker 1: dissected north, south east and west. What does he mean by this?
Speaker 2: Correct? Whatever reply she sends you. It's not one person's reply. The board of directors.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yes. Yeah, we have to call for a general meeting. Yes. Just, yeah. Anyway, you know what if you feel like you're being pocketed, calm down. Ok. Don't overreact. Just think about how you want to approach the situation and whether now is the right time to approach it and always think of the good in people. Maybe there's a reason why they're doing that. Maybe there's a reason why they haven't introduced you to their family. Maybe it's more complicated than you
Speaker 2: think. Correct. And I think also that something that's important to you may not be something that's important to them. So maybe they never really thought about it. They're like, oh, it's
Speaker 1: not a big deal. Yes. Which is why I think approach the situation in a very calm manner because it can actually positively influence your relationship if you talk about it in a very mature way,
Speaker 2: so nice. But try not to tell your entire family and kampong before you go on the first date,
Speaker 1: she's not over it. Ok. Wholesome episode. We hope you took away something from this. Don't forget to follow us on Instagram for more. Ok. At its CCL dot
Speaker 2: CO. That's right. You can listen to us on me, listen Apple podcast, Spotify. Don't forget to turn on your notifications.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's right. And if you are being pocketed, just think about it, you're cute enough to fit in a pocket. Maybe it's not such a bad thing. Ok, see you guys. Bye.