Speaker 1: Hey, what's going on? It's sonia here with you. Welcome back to yet another episode of Men explain today we have a super app guest for our topic and I can't wait to review what the topic is. But first please welcome Amanda.
Speaker 2: Hello. I guys. Amanda and I am a host. I cook. I talent. I do things that I might not want to do on T. S. L. Like like what? Like eating ridiculous food for 72 hours.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. I know you have tons of great content by the way and I'm sure, I'm sure at the same time you've eaten your fair share of interesting things that you do not want to repeat again.
Speaker 2: You're never ever again. You think about it? I have a friend who meet blue. P. Everything forced me to try. It
Speaker 1: blew P everything. But what's wrong with that? That's not so weird.
Speaker 2: You mentioned you die, you die your fried chicken blue. Okay. That's a bit weird.
Speaker 1: Strange. It doesn't give you the kitchen that doesn't give any particular flavor. Right? It doesn't doesn't mostly the color. Okay. Okay. So we've established that he has a very interesting career choice. You don't regret anything, right? I don't I don't know how good your bosses might be watching my dog. You never know. Okay man. I mean obviously, you know you have a love for food and you know, we can see that as well in a short conversation earlier, you said that you actually cook almost every day.
Speaker 2: I try to cook almost every other day for my family. Yeah, because because my mom's here is like a bit, so I just want to want her to like straighten herself too much or do chores. So I will try to cook, I would do like a fish and meat and then a veg plus some rice. That is,
Speaker 1: that's advanced, that is, that is placing, that's basically clearly we have a lot through during this show today and during this episode, we're also going to address the fact about, you know, this whole stereotype about being able to cook being more marriageable, being more, I don't know, eligible as well as a partner and all that. I think times are changing, right, Things are changing, but the main question of today is would you marry someone who doesn't really know how to cook? Is that a very important factor? I mean, just to kick things off, would you say that that is one of the things you look for in a partner?
Speaker 2: I think like the appreciation for food is something that I look out for more and then like understand the process behind it. Makes it a lot more complex. Makes it makes it a lot more, makes the person look more
Speaker 1: come on, just spit it out. There's no filter here on this podcast.
Speaker 2: Okay. The person is more attractive to the person or the on the t shirt. 100%. Just because, right, I think that is both my hobby. Okay, and it is some part of my career. So, so if the person is able to marry both together, right? In that one skill, I think that is perfect.
Speaker 1: This is not tough at all. I mean just so now I'm sure you'll find someone who is able to meet those expectations. Hopefully. Do you think that, that you sometimes sort of expect this of your partner because you have, you are so passionate about food and you love to cook and stuff like that?
Speaker 2: I think the one thing that I would expect more right is when we're out eating something nice, right? Yes. The person wouldn't be just sitting there like taking a step back and say, okay, that's not bad. Like what, what do you like about what do you like about it? It's like eating that, sorry. Okay, then we bring them, I bring like people to like the best, which is like by the way, I'm not
Speaker 1: actually tried it. Okay, so good, so good.
Speaker 2: So I have friends who like go there and then they take a sip and then they're like, okay, so this is like the, that you see, you know the black color instantly. Like there's so much more you appreciate, appreciate, appreciate. It's like when you bring someone to a sushi restaurant and they said, ok, then bring into one in Japan, they're like, okay, like Singapore? It's like Singapore like
Speaker 1: basically people who don't have much opinions when it comes to
Speaker 2: it's nice or not myself. Like, you know, there are layers that complexity, can understand
Speaker 1: that? I can honestly see it, like, radiating from him right now. Like, you would be so upset if you brought somebody to your favorite restaurant and that person didn't quite appreciate it the same way as you. Okay, okay, so, common appreciation for food is more important for you
Speaker 2: rather than cooking. I mean if you understand the cooking process behind it, right? How the textures are incorporated into it, how the flavors are incorporated into it. Yes, I think that is good to have. Yes. Yes, but the main thing is to be able to appreciate food as food is.
Speaker 1: So, here's the question because it's really interesting because you are you're a guy that loves to cook and appreciates food as well and you know, at the same time there's always been this societal pressure for us girls and women to be a little bit more skillful in the kitchen, right? I mean, I know that it sounds a bit sexist to say that, but you know, there are all these stereotypes you see in the movies and in shows, I don't know for like ages now for years and years and years that the woman of the house is always expected to like whip up a full like, I don't know, it cost me like the end of the day, you know, that kind of stuff? Right. What are your thoughts on this? Like, have you ever experienced that in real life, witnessed that scene that I don't know.
Speaker 2: Do you feel that way though? Like, do you feel that you have to do that? You
Speaker 1: know, actually luckily for me? No, I in fact, in fact prior to the pandemic and to the lockdown and all that and the circuit breaker. All right. If I could use my kitchen to store my clothes and my shoes, I wear it, I'm serious. If I could use it as a storage place, I would, you know, like, I would not even know how to do basic things. I mean, aside from instant noodles and fighting, I mean that is, that is a given. I would be able to do that just for pure survival back then when I was in school and my parents were not home, obviously I got to do something right. And that was my happiest time because I get to eat instant noodles with an egg. But I think, you know, over the course of the circuit breaker, you realize you can't dine out, right? I know a lot of people became like self proclaimed chefs. I was one of them, I experimented experimented, you know, I cook the stuff that I like to eat while I'm out. You know, things that I couldn't exactly get from like mom's cooking and stuff, even though that's always an excellent choice so that it was only through that, that I learned how to cook a bit more admittedly I just follow online recipes. That's right, but not exactly. So now that things have gotten a little bit busier, right? I'm I'm sad to admit that I have kind of abandoned the kitchen a little bit, you know, I'm back to reconsidering it as a storage area,
Speaker 2: but I've never felt that expectation to, I must be able to cook somewhere. So
Speaker 1: no, not really. I don't know. I mean, thanks mom and dad for not having the expectation on me. You know, my mom honestly like she cooked for me my entire life. I'm not afraid to admit it. You know, a lot of us are very fortunate to have parents who do that right as well and we're very grateful for that. I guess it just wasn't a natural inclination or interest that I had. Like I love to eat. That's one thing. But I also never really had a boyfriend that would expect me to cook for him though.
Speaker 2: That's great. That's great. That's great. I mean as much as it is the expectation of from society, right, that goes to cook. I think it's important that the partner doesn't impose their expectation. Also, it's like when I'm sick, I don't expect someone to cook for me, I will go to the market. I would like make something for myself, right? I think it's a bit unfair to just put on your partner a marriageable material, that sort of thing. Like a like a big factor factor. Like if I'm sick you must cook for me, right? So entitled. I don't understand that.
Speaker 1: So basically you're like the perfect guy, love for anyone who's tuning right now and who would like someone who has not much expectations in cooking. He's it He's it. Also
Speaker 2: because also because because I spill some tea. What when my mom was talking to me someday somehow? Like, I think last year, something like that next time, right? If you've got a girlfriend right, you get a family of your own er they're quite good life on it. Don't cook, don't do chores because all these things, right? My mom has trained me from young to do it. I started cooking at like secondary school. Oh, that's how you started I started young because of my grandma because of my mother. Yeah, I think there's this quote right by Marco Pierre White. This is like behind every cook is a childhood growing up with mom that cooks or that that cooks interesting.
Speaker 1: What was the first dish that you learn how to cook? Do you remember
Speaker 2: fries? Okay. Leftover rice? Right, and just just right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: And what then sparked off your interest to continue because some people do it just because they have to, you know Phil themselves or like just eat, but you obviously carried on and it became a career for you and your mom proud. Like, your grandma,
Speaker 2: my mom's more confused and like how I ended up here. Why suddenly you are cooking in front of the camera you made a career for? Yeah. Yeah, that's, I mean that's what I do now. So I always say it's a huge thanksgiving is a huge privilege, right? Do we have to like cook without anyone's expectations just for work? So I felt like I was in the kitchen for work. I'm okay. And like every day, every other day when we're shooting. Yes. And that's a good thing because you're like chefs, right, hawkers out there. They could and people be like while your food not nice one and then they will go and bash you. But I cook for my colleagues that they cannot be not nice. It's not nice. Your they are forced to say that. So I'm like, okay, I'm gonna expectations I can cook, I can like pace myself. You know, it's like a meditative process, your food. Smr Yes. On instinct
Speaker 1: crunches. I don't find it very meditative. In fact, the prep part is the part that I hate the most even bought this garlic cutter. Right? This okay. Why do you have that face? Just a nice. Okay, so, so it's basically this contraption that my friend got from me because he knows that I'm lazy. It's like a container. Okay. Imagine like a plastic container, but inside there are blades on the cap. Then you close the cap of the container, then there's a string here outside with a little handle that pull and then the blade goes like this and then the garlic cuts by itself.
Speaker 2: So it's like a manual blender. It's a manual blender blender.
Speaker 1: It's a manual actually. Now that he says it that way is a manual blender sounds kind of lame love but it should be okay but it's not as hardcore as a blender. So if I want the garlic to be chunkier can control it. But if it's a blender I'm like it's gone into. Yeah exactly. Yeah. See genius. Right. How do you use
Speaker 2: that or No, no. I like the sound of the knife against the ball. Right.
Speaker 1: Right. That cannot relate. Okay like that. Okay. So would you then agree with this statement? The way to a man's heart is through his stomach? Do you agree with that? I think the way to anyone's heart really? So
Speaker 2: a lot of my friends are getting married right at this age so one of the I just asked this question to them just the other day, what can your wife cook because they're going to move in together? Right well then you
Speaker 1: ask that question
Speaker 2: Because your housewarming, right, do you want me to like do you want me to cook potluck or anything or is your wife going to cook something for the family? And are you guys going to cook some? Not just your wife. Just reflect me 11 text which is Maggie.
Speaker 1: No really Maggie during I love it. It's
Speaker 2: just Maggie. Okay. Mr Noodle's right to that question. Right? Not all guys would require that. Yes. I think it's always good to have to know that you don't have to eat take out porridge when you're sick, you don't have to fast over like or do I have can I like Eat all these simple food but I got to spend it for $5 on it. Yes and I have to take the effort to like spend extra for grab just take the effort to go down and buy what I can do at home. But
Speaker 1: if I go down if I if I take transportation to go to the supermarket and I buy the ingredients and transported to go back, do you think will all add up to be like kind of the same
Speaker 2: nowhere if you're sick, you don't know what I mean? Like
Speaker 1: Okay I mean that's provided I'm sick like aside from that you know like that that's why sometimes I just opt to to like empower or to order in because I think of the effort that I have to go through to get the ingredients and all that and it kind of I don't know it kind of bums me out sometimes the process the process,
Speaker 2: it's always we always say it's the journey and the people that you go on the journey with rather than the destination, Is that
Speaker 1: google? Like cheesy quotes before you go to the
Speaker 2: podcast usually comes to it?
Speaker 1: That's it. Okay, so you just have cheesy quotes here
Speaker 2: just all the time. Okay.
Speaker 1: But I mean, you know, it's interesting because some studies also show that we have certain neurons like in our stomach area where yeah, so that's why, you know, you eat when you're emotional, do you sometimes feel that we're like when you're upset or angry, like angry? Oh, sorry,
Speaker 2: you don't eat like when you're busy or you're angry and you're like, why don't you just do my thing? Yeah, yeah, yeah,
Speaker 1: yeah. Something along those lines. Or when you're upset, then you eat more like, you know, ice cream. I don't know what you eat when you're set. What do you,
Speaker 2: I don't know what I'm
Speaker 1: saying. I
Speaker 2: just had, I'm like, okay, just like, just like a kid.
Speaker 1: He's an interesting specimen of a man. Okay. Yeah. So that's why, you know, I don't know whether sometimes when like, you know, you see your partner cooked like as a labor of love almost and you're like, wow, this is so good. It makes you happy. And then there's like a bond that maybe brings you closer in a way,
Speaker 2: especially if you guys do it in the kitchen together. You know, like the cheesy movie scenes, right? They take the cake together, They throw the fly each other? My gosh, that
Speaker 1: is so by the way, impractical. Like who cleans up the flood after that? Do you ever wonder? They're just like, yeah, exactly. Right. Like cut scene. So, so for you, you would cook with your partner in the kitchen like as an activity
Speaker 2: as a couple. If the partner is capable enough. What? It's not very, it's not coming to find trouble
Speaker 1: only. That's true. That's true. I chased everyone out of the kitchen
Speaker 2: so don't touch this. Alright, recently I watched his enemy. So this is like my enemy in that part coming out. So there's this anyway, it's called and then there's like this thing that the guy do that's like his special power. So he gets to create a domain for himself. So it's basically like domain expansion and then everything in there reflects him. Okay. That's like me in my kitchen. Okay.
Speaker 1: I see. Okay. Okay. So nobody can come and like chop your business. Like
Speaker 2: don't come in. I'm doing my own thing and then you come here and take water. I think I think just just just just can't
Speaker 1: even come in and take drinks.
Speaker 2: I think I'll take you to send that I serve yourself. You never mind the mind cooking Ready? It's okay. It's okay.
Speaker 1: What else is your, what else are some of your pet peeves in the kitchen and
Speaker 2: um I just kind of hit a red kitchen. Okay, like things that are on the table or table on the, in the sink. I don't like the message? But
Speaker 1: the sink is meant to be wet though.
Speaker 2: Just clean up or just dry it up. So all my shoots, right. I always have a towel in my pocket just in case and you clean things up clean messes up or like wipe my hands dry something because if your hands are slippery, you can hold the panorama. You cannot toss the property market. Wow.
Speaker 1: I think we cannot be in the same kitchen for me. Everything is an organized mess, like everything is all over the place, but I know where certain things are. I was curious to know. Have you ever had a fight with, I don't know, being a partner or family member, whoever because of something that happened that's in the kitchen or cooking related
Speaker 2: or food related Julio's school me because I and ambitious sometimes I don't like some pilot one big pot of food, some was undercooked like multiple. So small, so small things that adds up to like one big thing. So when I fry the rest of our vegetables, ok. I would always like make the stem of the mushrooms means all minister. So everything must have different textures. Right? When you cook, you must have fun way to cook. So like there are certain layers that you have to do it. Okay, so there's me kicking out, right? So mushroom has to be sliced have to be mean. So stem has to be means the top has to be sliced and then you've got to wash your vegetables, your garlic, right? And, and I think there's a key trick that a lot of people don't know. You cannot just like means your garlic. You use
Speaker 1: a blender, you use use
Speaker 2: a manual, you have to cut them into like equal slices, equal for equal chunks and equal slices because it cooks evenly and then you don't like burn some and then undercooked the others. So that's like for the garlic and then that's what we'll do, right? Is that our shredded ginger? Yes, I'll deep fry them first, Take it out and I use them as your topping thing. Yes, Yes. So it's falling on issues of all that, right? You get the crunchiness from the ginger, you'll get a fragrance from the mushrooms, you get a freshness from the vegetables and then whichever sources inside you just amplified anti additional, wow,
Speaker 1: this guy imperial treasure, please hire him. I mean seriously, you sound like you just without a meal that you can find that like crystal jade palace or
Speaker 2: it's a simple surprise ideas. So I was saying everything adds up. So with all these different steps, right? There will be a complete dish will be a complete, there'll also be a complete mess in the sink.
Speaker 1: Yes. Yes, I understand what you mean.
Speaker 2: So people usually find me over there. I see why this is so cluttered. I'm like, I can't do everything at once. You let me do dish, I do that
Speaker 1: once you have assistance, you basically get someone like anyone who's willing to help you wash the dishes while you move along.
Speaker 2: My sister tend to do that much after that time you okay? I
Speaker 1: think everyone's too scared to come into your den when you just
Speaker 2: let me do my thing, just keep doing your
Speaker 1: thing. That's really, that's really interesting because you know when it comes down to our sacred place, right? Or place where we focus on our work and stuff like that, you often just don't want distractions and you don't want people to come in all that if you were to meet someone and she doesn't even know how to cook an egg or, or incidentals or whatever, would that be a huge problem for you? It would be wouldn't speak to this person's character. You think? I think,
Speaker 2: I think it's okay. So there's a couple of ways to look at it, right? The first way that I see is like the inherent fear of the kitchen. Okay. Some of my friends have that. They're like the kitchen. I got fire. I don't burn myself. And then when they look at my oil burns, right? When I deep fry things like that. But do you have any left? Not, not there, there are huge, but they are all over the place last time. Okay. Yeah. And I'm like, but if you want to cook, you've got to, you've got to learn to do it. And then they're like, I don't want to I don't want to splash on my skin. I don't you already find especially, and then you then you see like, people taking the spotlight that's like you and like over there, then when they go to near the eggs already burdened, that's all I see. I see. Yeah. So, so that's that's one of the inherent fear of the heat of the oil the kitchen. And I think not a lot of people have exposure to that when they were young and that's why when they're a bit older, right? It can be intimidating, gets tougher. And the second one is that I just want to learn that I can just stop our people can do it for me. I think that's a very entitled mentality.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Okay. I understand. So you think that say this person's um inability or rather, you know, maybe this person just doesn't want to learn how to make simple things. That is sort of very telling of this person's character.
Speaker 2: It is okay. But then again, there's also the convenience expected that you were saying about just now whether the whole effort of going down to the supermarket shopping, grocery list, coming back, preparing cooking washing up. Is it really worth it?
Speaker 1: Different ways to see it. There are different ways to see it. Yeah. I mean, when it comes to the five love languages cooking would fall under, like, except that I was going to say that. So I guess that would be all part of it as well. We all play a part two. Yeah. But I mean, I guess it is very telling of somebody's character in a way, right? Because I used to have someone that I dated by the way, who would leave all this stuff to his helpers. So he wouldn't, he would barely like do a thing in the kitchen and stuff, right? And the helpers actually put in a lot of effort to make, even like, you know, like Mexico ring or this kind of simple meal, a simple meal that becomes very extravagant. Like you've got all kinds of toppings that you mentioned and you know, you just don't stop at the seasoning and the noodles. You put like you put, you put vegetables and I was like, wow. Like, I never thought I would appreciate that so much. You know, when you see until you see how much effort goes into it, right? I think that's the main point of it. Yeah,
Speaker 2: it is, it is, and if you're, if you're able to cook and I think it goes more than a life skill now. Yes, it's really how much it's just a way to show appreciation, show love to your partner who feels love the same way that yes, in that. So there are times right there where I cook for my friends and then they're like, okay, thanks. They just, they don't appreciate enough that they don't have, they don't have to like oh your food so good. I love it. You just have to just be slightly a bit more appreciative to me than to a hawker. I hope your friends are
Speaker 1: watching right now.
Speaker 2: So it's very different. Right? Like you go to Taiwan story, would you like to make one one minute or one vegetable? Whatever you think the same way they said to me
Speaker 1: so you're the become
Speaker 2: the sovereignty but I cook for you and your friend and then I think you know maybe
Speaker 1: it will help if you call them cycle menu
Speaker 2: then I will become a success that this was the one that I always tell my friends. I always said a man you could for work sometimes you want to cook for us and like you're buying ingredients are actually good for you. Yeah. I don't think that
Speaker 1: nobody wants to take you see is the hassle is that going down the supermarket buying everything? But if there's one thing I'm just curious if there's one thing that you tap out or order in what would it be because mine is very straightforward. Order Subway and I order something that I think people won't really usually order, it's the veggie sub, it's the stuff with all veggies inside when I want something. Yeah sometimes not even veggie patty, just vegetables because I just want something lighter. Healthier. You know the sweet onion sauce, stuff like that. just nice and light
Speaker 2: lots of the salad
Speaker 1: right? Yeah. Yeah but I want the bread and then you put the salad in the bread done. It's not bad. How about you? What do you usually order?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would probably get things that I can never do it in the kitchen. So things like that. Okay, okay. Things like like
Speaker 1: sushi or any other specific
Speaker 2: specific cuisines like Vietnamese cuisine can never replicate it. So things like that. I would probably things that I can never do it at home. I think the thing about cooking is that I was I was saying adjusting flavors to your liking. You don't have to it's quite sweet. Imagine somebody knows your exact double the order and in the same way knows exactly kind of cooking styles kind of ingredients that you like what you're allergic to, what you cannot eat. So I have this friend very recently I think it's just two days ago I was like bro, you can help me order anything like anything that either because of the camera and I'm very lazy, you just have to order then. Right? Oh so I'm like those intolerant. So there's two instances of this happening, Same guy. Okay, I'm like bro, just order anything first time right? He came in with carbonara. No,
Speaker 1: and then I look at the milky is like the creamiest,
Speaker 2: you're the one for himself. So he ordered for me putting bro you think you can finish two portion of why you don't like them. Like it's not I don't like I cannot I cannot fellows are so apologetic and in their mind. So that was the person the more recent.
Speaker 1: Okay
Speaker 2: came back Salted egg Chicken. They're like bro, this one. Okay, slowly getting there getting the memo already like maybe like just different chicken. Okay. It's quite funny. But when somebody knows like the exact order that I would like if I go there and be like and then they know like the economic and then bring home. It's so sweet. So
Speaker 1: that's the way to your heart knowing your exact order, the exact order. Not ordering anything milk or cream based on how
Speaker 2: much to put a stop to it. Especially at home, right? We'll be able to cater to your partners like
Speaker 1: okay. I agree, I agree. But I mean when when you do that, let's say at home when you're like doing your own little things or cooking for your partner and all that. Has there ever been a moment where like a mishap happened in the kitchen? I mean you've shared your mishap about these ordering things when it comes to your friends but like has anything funny or embarrassing ever happened? Like let's say when you're preparing something for someone you like or your family or whatever. I have a story to share but you go first if you have any.
Speaker 2: I think when I try to cook my family always go for the more foolproof dishes okay. Things that, you know, I'm sure everybody would like on the most if you don't like them, you know? Yeah. But I think there was this one time that either like salt too much pepper too much. Okay. And then like when you think that you seasoned nicely where you think you did your best for people that you love, right? And then you serve them something that comes from the heart and then they said, so salty and
Speaker 1: I tell you asian families don't mince their words. No, just like straight up say it, right? Yeah, Yeah, yeah. Yeah. Like
Speaker 2: really? That is your like sometimes a bit salty and they're like, okay, you're right, you're right. Okay. Yeah. But it hurts it when that happens. I
Speaker 1: have a I have an even more ridiculous story. So it's nothing to do with me cooking per se. It was actually in regards to what happened leading up to it. Okay. So I'm not sure whether you cook seafood very much or do you cook like uni pasta, This kind of stuff. Have you tried making
Speaker 2: Okay,
Speaker 1: Okay. I mean close enough, Right. And then sometimes you just want to fancy it up a little bit, you put like honey on top or I don't care if you're in the mood. Right? So I remember this. So clearly I had a friend who actually runs like a seafood, she does a bit of a seafood business thing, I think it's a family business and she's trying to promote like unity because it was the season. So she was like, hey man, like, you know, I want to send you a box of money just to thank you for your, for your friendship, like go and enjoy with your family. Right? So say, okay, cool. So I decided half of it we're going to enjoy like, you know, just on its own. And then I wanted to experiment a little bit with with it for like uni pasta, okay and needs some of that for like the base and all right. So the shipment of this arrived when I wasn't at home. So my boyfriend was at home to accept it. So I said, okay, can you look inside, see whatever needs freezing and what needs refrigeration. But this guy put everything into the freezer, so he put it in the freezer, all the raw stuff that was meant to eat as sashimi, he put it into the freezer thinking that he did the right thing. So honestly he didn't think that he did anything wrong. He was like, he was like, okay, I did, I was told, okay, thanks, thanks. You know, like all good, all good, all under control. So I was like, I was like, all good, no, I was like, I was so happy. I went back and I was like ready to make the meal and all. And I was like, where's the, where's the stuff? And he goes in the freezer like you said. And I was like, not everything is supposed to go into the freezer, only the stuff that says the, the stuff seems to be consumed, like, especially you can't put it into the freezer and all that. So true enough, when I took it out, I couldn't save the uni anymore. I was trying to like, give it cpr, give it everything, It wouldn't work because you know the moment you take only out of the freezer, the icicles have formed inside and then it becomes mush, Just f Y I boyfriends husbands, whoever, if you're at home about to accept a shipment of raw stuff was me, please consult the person that put in the order first. I think that's very important to go inside that not everything can go inside there. So I think he was so scared of me for like one day or so he was like dipping his toes around because he was like, like, cause I just throw everything away was not really edible anymore. By the time I tried to defrost it and then I tried to pat down the water, but it just became mush. So I tried to make it into the pastor sauce, but tastes a bit funny. So I was like so sad. Right? I was like, oh my God dejected. And he was so scared of me for like a day, but you know, I'm not not
Speaker 2: anymore anymore. Imagine if he can cook right? I think that he would come up with ways to get together with you, would you have preferred it or in a partner which have preferred if they know how to cook.
Speaker 1: Okay, so presently my current partner knows how to cook one thing steak. That's it. Yeah, yeah, so he does a good steak, everything else. I mean he knows how to make certain things, but I think he's just so busy that he doesn't have the luxury of time to do that and it's the washing up part that kills really, it's not the cooking part. Honestly, if I have the time and I'm in the right headspace, I actually enjoy it. But the thought of, you know, having to prep and then wash after that, that's the part that really kills so for him. I mean I obviously didn't, I don't expect anything out of my partner in terms of like cooking or kitchen or chores, but when it comes to cooking, I think, you know, once in a blue moon I get to enjoy the steak. Yeah, but it's really once in a blue moon terms
Speaker 2: ramp it up and I think this is one of my biggest love length language right?
Speaker 1: Love lang
Speaker 2: lang lang love
Speaker 1: lang I think we gathered quite a bit of vocabulary from
Speaker 2: member today. Yeah, because one of my love language, I like moore in the primary love language that show affection. So I would like that and I think I receive affection by that also in anyway. Right. Yeah. I think cooking is just one part of course it's one
Speaker 1: facet, it's not the whole thing, it's just one component to mandarin's heart.
Speaker 2: I mean if you can buy a society for me on grab food, I don't mind. You know
Speaker 1: you're an S. A person. Is that what you order most of the time? Because you can't exactly like make, I mean you can if you yeah, I know exactly what message are you
Speaker 2: really just order?
Speaker 1: All done right, basically. So so how often then do you order food? Because I mean some stats show that at least 60% of Singaporeans order food like four times a week. That's that's quite a lot. I mean I think I'm actually one of them, I just ordered one time me for for lunch. So yeah you do you order a lot of the time you cook a lot for your family. But times when you're just alone
Speaker 2: I think I would order it even remember a loner, I was just like walk out and rather than, yeah, so they eat out on the ordering numbers right? I think it's usually during occasions. Okay so like reunion dinner. I'm not going to cook at all.
Speaker 1: Better not manly, there would be too much to do. You have to do all kinds of stuff so
Speaker 2: we met so occasions I wouldn't cook times when I'm alone. I wouldn't cook also. Yeah, unless I'm in the mood for Maggie which really happens because Really? Yeah, really? Maggie had Maggie face already so like every 23 days of the craving for the chicken abalone to create for the Tommy and that sort of thing. But not anymore. It's over when I realized that I can. So another factor Of course. Yeah. I'm all for the hacks rice. Yes, you're just like Cantonese, Cantonese congee. That's like super, super, super smooth. Right? The easiest way to do it now that I realized recently this is mind blowing it. Tell me you take the rice and then after you take a cup of rice, right? Put it in the blender. Sorry, like cooked rice. No, like uncooked rice, rice, like uncooked uncooked rice. Put in a blender. Not the menu. I don't think
Speaker 1: I appreciate the photo
Speaker 2: with. It's alright. You blend it all simply so it becomes like super super, super, super fine like powder, almost like powder, but you can see like very tiny greens. All right. So imagine one grain of rice, right? If you break it down to six parts, that's the kind of consistency you're looking for and you pull it back out, you're gonna wash the rice so you just remove all the excess starch and then you just add however much water you need and then just let it simmer, let's cook. So you don't have rice greens, you have like rice shots have been cooked too much already. That's how they achieve that the traditional way. They just keep stare, accusing, accusing, accusing,
Speaker 1: but this is a heck like this makes it faster. So then in that case, I mean before we wrap things up and I let you go very soon um in a relationship, let's just say, you know, would you then hope for your partner to like learn these things from you? Like be it hacks or be it recipes that you've done before, things that you've cooked before. Would it be nice if you had a partner to, who would also be keen on doing
Speaker 2: that? It would, it would be, it would be, I mean, it's like a time that you spend together. Like there are times that I want to be alone, but there are times that, I mean if I have a partner, right, why not do it together, why not learn it together? And I think it's exciting to do it together. It's like when my friends want to learn to bake, I can cook, I can pick for nuts. Yeah, me neither. Yeah. So whenever you do the whole baking process together, it's fun and you take the brownie, you think like everything you put in the oven together and pray for the best in the same way, right? There's always that building of intimacy kind of states that they can't process that I appreciate from cooking. Especially when I cook with my friends at work. I mean we established that bond and then memories can be made also times that you burned the burned the grandpa.
Speaker 1: There have been several times like
Speaker 2: many, many times. Yeah. And then the times that so all these times I've become memories and I think as much as the space for being alone in the kitchen, right? I think there's also space for another person with a bigger kitchen. Yes. Yes.
Speaker 1: Is that a hint like get a bigger kitchen
Speaker 2: kitchen? I'm
Speaker 1: very sure your bosses are watching at this point. They're picking up all your hints. So in conclusion today, I think we've had a lot of takeaways, ha ha pun intended. I talked about a lot of information there from our show, but I think, you know, it's interesting because that traditional way of seeing things like all the woman has to always be in the kitchen prepare food and meals when when everyone else comes back home, you can just get to sit down and enjoy. I think it has progressed and changed over the years because a lot of us also have very big work commitments now, full time jobs. I don't know, perhaps society has changed as well. So expectations have adjusted to and I think it's kind of nice to see, you know, um the man not not minding picking up some of the cooking in the, in the house and also being passionate about it. And clearly we are like two different people. So he's the one that cooks like most of the time and I'm the one ordering in most of the time. But seriously, you should try the veggies some one day I swear, no regrets. Like the next week I'll
Speaker 2: try, I'll try next week. Okay.
Speaker 1: Somebody sent it to him. I stand by my choice of the veggies are, is healthy and yummy.
Speaker 2: What do you put in all the veggies? Just all registered. I
Speaker 1: love yeah. Yes jalapenos. Everything you see once again, different order. You can see that he's trying not to judge you
Speaker 2: at my own things inside. Oh is it sounds like you want to be a spicy, Just like cut some chili party inside. Oh wow. Okay. And then you don't buy on the cheap party. I just afraid that the capsules inside their spice up the entire, that's
Speaker 1: Like 40 men. Like how do you, how do you know that you're not going to buy into
Speaker 2: just gonna try just give it a shot. Just give it one shot. Okay.
Speaker 1: Okay. What are some of your takeaways from today's podcast And I think
Speaker 2: the main thing that I learned is how as you progress, right? Things become more accessible. So like you don't have to have someone at home cooking and waiting for everyone else to come home and then like nobody ends sometime now anyway. You can't have like six PM everybody come to the table and be like,
Speaker 1: it doesn't happen anymore.
Speaker 2: Right? So sometimes it might be a lot more convenient just to go to right? To be honest. Sometimes I would in my heart of Hearts, right? The days I wish that's how I need to cook today after a long day at work. You
Speaker 1: just don't want to do anything. I just
Speaker 2: don't like when you have to go to the right and then you gotta think, I gotta think about my family like, okay, and you cook for them at six, but I'm in the middle of my things now and it's 5 50. Like do I drop my things now just to go and cook or do I like about you all the way and then they have dinner at night.
Speaker 1: So which option wins some early one usually.
Speaker 2: So I, I actually got scolded before. It's like, you're very important man. Your work cannot wait until tonight. Then do one of my deadline's tonight. Also deadline, you don't also deadline someone. I'm like, Oh my
Speaker 1: God. Okay. Okay.
Speaker 2: Okay. So nowadays I'll just drop everything and I'm going to cook and then after cleaning up and then go back to my column and continuing work.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well seriously? Like that's impressive. I don't know how you do it.
Speaker 2: That's the toughest part of and I think that's where the convenience comes into play like that? There'll be days like that. That would be like why don't I just order something in from outside and then everybody gets to eat something healthy. Yeah. And then I don't have to fret over my work. Yeah. Well
Speaker 1: thank you for sharing your thoughts. I mean I feel like you needed to get that out also. I think your family is watching right now together with
Speaker 2: your boss, like my bosses with my friends right where I was going to watch, everyone's
Speaker 1: watching and everyone's going to change their behavior after this and they're gonna, you know, not treat you like an anti anymore by the way. Lots of love to subway. Thank you so much for being a part of this episode. We absolutely will try the veggies up the next time
Speaker 2: I will try to do. So we want to send one to me. I thank you and like like you
Speaker 1: Exactly. And show how you like chop chop up your, your chili party and put it up as well. No mandan, thank you so much for joining us today. Thanks for having me and thank you so much for listening to this episode of men explain if you like it and if it made you hungry, please hit the follow button were available on Spotify and apple podcasts also follow its clarity dot co on instagram and facebook for more content like this and we'll see you next
Speaker 2: time