Speaker 1: Hi, we are back with our ask me anything segment. And today we have a question on ageism. Now, this question was sent in by our listener, Kelvin. Kelvin saw an Instagram post and it advised not to reveal your graduation year in your resume. And I guess linkedin as well because he said ageism is real. Now, Gerald, is that tip valid
Speaker 2: in terms of ageism? Is it real? I think? Yes, it is. It's something that many employers will not admit to, but sometimes it's a subconscious bias as well. Imagine if your interview panel, all of them are younger than your candidate, there's already something that maybe in the minds of the interviewer, right? But of course, if you are referring to what you put on the resume, whether you put your graduation year, my personal view is, you know, what, it doesn't really matter whether you put there or not. And the reason is because if you put it in there, the concern here is people can infer your age, right? But there are also many other ways that people can infer age from your work experiences the
Speaker 1: first year. They used to hard work, they can kind of
Speaker 2: tell all your past job experiences. They can tell how many years you have worked. Some people say with me, the earlier ones, I'll hide, I'll put the more later ones. But then you also can total up the number of years you work. I would even say sometimes even from the name, you can also guess the age. I
Speaker 1: see like a Lawrence. You know, of which vintage.
Speaker 2: There are some names that are very Gen Z and there are some names that are a bit older,
Speaker 1: Caen Jayen.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So there are lots of ways to discriminate against people. So
Speaker 1: obviously, if this is coming from a point of view is that if recruiters really wanted to discriminate you, there are a lot of I guess markers that they can use to look out for these signs. But ordinarily you are saying that it's just a point of reference for them.
Speaker 2: The only advice I will give is for resume writing, maybe don't put in your primary school leaving cert year, your secondary
Speaker 1: school, primary school,
Speaker 2: maybe you are the kind that got very high scores or your primary school is your primary school is very branded kind. But typically employers just want to see the latest qualification. You have the highest one, maybe the top two, maybe your diploma or your JC or something, but you don't have to put all the way back because I've seen some people who really put all the way in primary school and then the year really looks very long time ago. Right. So, then that sets, like, ok, yeah, too long already. But if you are, let's say getting your degree or your diploma at a certain year in the past, I think people can still accept that if it's the only number that so don't put too many numbers. That's what I'm trying to say. I think also we need to give recruiters more credit for what they do. They don't look at every resume and see which year and try to penalize people, they try to look for the quality of the resume, what the person has done, what the person wants to do, what the person is good at doing. What's the value that they can bring forward in the company? So what they are looking for in the resume is coherence. Exactly. If I take a seven second glance of your resume, right. I know what you can do very clearly. But
Speaker 1: then say, for example, if I'm a recruiter and I know that the salary I'm going to be paying for this job is very entry level. And then I have somebody who they are already in their forties, then I know that this person is going to try and negotiate with me and we're going to get into a very long process about how to give more salary or even if this person says yes to this entry level salary. Because they have had so many years working, they might not stay. So I think there is still that consideration that I guess some recruiters will have.
Speaker 2: Hm. So when they look at resume, they assess the value of what they are getting and then they also have to look back at, for example, what they're willing to pay. What's the budget for the role? Yes, they will have that kind of consideration. They might also consider things like the fit, for example, your job titles, if today you have been leading teams, but this entry level role doesn't allow you or doesn't require you to lead teams. One concern would be like, would you be able to be a team player instead of being a team leader? Would you be comfortable with that?
Speaker 1: So, like you say, they will look at your past experience rather than the year of graduation? Yes, because the year of graduation by the sounds of it doesn't really play so big a factor because what else can it tell you except the fact that you are young or you are older? Yes.
Speaker 2: Correct. So eventually at some point, they're going to find out your age anyway. So if today you put it in there and if they discriminate you based on that age thing, they might as well because you're not going to get a job anyway because when they are going to see you and you're going to realize that you are not quite what I expected you to be. Yeah. And they are going to turn you on so it's maybe better not to work for the company. Ok. Yeah. So I would say don't worry too much about putting in the numbers of your graduation year. What you want to use your resume for the emphasis of it is to really present the value of what you want to do and make sure it's coherent because most people in their resumes, they want to put in everything that they have done before. But what we want to show is the best bits of what we can do and in a manner that is coherent. That means once we read in 58 seconds, we know what this person can do. So
Speaker 1: in a nutshell, very quickly, would you recommend to put in your graduation year?
Speaker 2: Yes. OK. I would recommend put in but don't put the primary school.
Speaker 1: So remember, don't put your primary school, you love your primary school. You don't have to put your primary school. So going back to the question that we said early on is ageism real. We're going to have an episode on that. We're going to talk about workplace discrimination and that's coming up soon. But if you have a work related question, do continue to send to us. We are at CN A podcasts at media corp.com dot SG. We're also on Spotify Apple Podcast and youtube where a video version of this is at the team behind the work it podcast is Christina Robert Joan Chan, Juani Johari Sa Wen and to Yan Yan. Sound mixing is by Cary Lim video by Hanina Amin. I'm Jol and I'm Tiffany have a super work week ahead.