Speaker 1: Hey guys, it's calum scott here. Class 95 gets up close with calum scott. Hi Callum. It's so good to see you. How are you? I'm good. So the last time you spoke to us was actually with Gene back in 2018. And since then we've had Covid, I mean, everybody experienced the horrible pandemic. What have you been up to these last two years during the pandemic? How was it for you?
Speaker 2: It was pretty awful. I mean, it's the same for everybody, right? We were stripped of being able to be with the people we loved, couldn't travel, couldn't go into venues. So it was pretty rough. I mean, for the first couple of weeks of that lock down, I just sat in my pants and played Call of Duty. I just didn't, I didn't know what to do, drinking wine, sat on the couch watching netflix and all that kind of stuff. I think when everybody started to realize actually this is pretty serious. And that's when I kind of started to I fell out of love with music, to be fair with my own music because I just felt that there was so many other things going on that were much more important than me writing a sad song. You know, I lost a lot of inspiration and motivation. But I think as we start to see some light at the end of the tunnel, my producer had been in touch and sent me some music and I started working again, reignited the Passion. So thankfully I finished the album during the pandemic. And yeah, releasing it in like literally a couple of weeks. It's crazy. Yeah, I was scared. Don't
Speaker 1: be scared. We're really psyched to get new music from you. Was it difficult sort of restarting the whole engine? Did you have to do anything to sort of get the creative juices
Speaker 2: flowing? Yeah. Yeah, it was one of those ones where it was like, you know, like when you've had so much time off school and you know, you have to go back and you have that not feeling in your stomach, like, I really don't want to go back. It was kind of that like, I was just like, like I've fallen off the rhythm, so now I have to, like try and get myself back into that. But music is one of the most incredible things of it. It's like a universal language, right? So I think even though I was getting down on my look, music kind of helped bring me back up and then me writing music helped me motivate other people. So I kind of had a ripple effect.
Speaker 1: It's a full circle actually. Yeah,
Speaker 2: yeah, music helps me and then my music helps others and so on. And so
Speaker 1: tell us about your new song called Heaven.
Speaker 2: Heaven is such a beautiful song. You know, I think as songwriters, you're constantly trying to find new ways of saying, I love you, I hate you. You know, you've broken my heart, all those kind of things. And I think for me heaven is one of those ones where it's just a song about loving somebody in the present and we're all suckers for it. We all, you know, we're all wondering what's happening next and what's the next thing and you know, worried about the next step. Whereas I think heaven reminds people, it's kind of bringing that concept of what I have with you right now is the most perfect thing I'll ever have. And I think that it's so beautiful to sort of remind yourself to live in the present. So loving the present as well. I think it's just gorgeous and it has this kind of lush, big ballad sound to it without it just being piano and vocal because I'm a sucker for getting behind the piano and just singing a sad song. I love it. I love to have a good cry. I love to be emotional, but heaven is one of those ones where we've put some production behind it. It sounds, it just sounds very big. So when we've been singing it live recently, it's always seems to be going down well and people have already messaged me saying, yeah, that's the first dance song at my wedding and
Speaker 1: we love it already.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you. It seems to be going down so well.
Speaker 1: So what is heaven for you then right now, since we're talking about the present,
Speaker 2: Heaven for me is opening a lovely bottle of red wine for me is
Speaker 1: that particular time, is that
Speaker 2: we love them, We love them. But you know what I think, I mean, I do, but I think, you know, at this moment in time looking at my touring schedule and just being like, I'm getting to go away again and getting to perform all these shows again. I mean, I'm going to be back in Singapore performing a show there again. It's just like all the excitement I felt from 2018 when I was last in Singapore and the show there and you know, I was doing promo there, it was so incredible to be in a new country and for my music to already have planted a beautiful seed and a gorgeous flowers growing there. And then I got to go and tend that flower and be in Singapore. So to come back, it's just going to be my heaven for
Speaker 1: Sure. So just going back when you last year, which is in 2018 when you spoke to gene, you said that you wanted to adventure more. Did that happen? You also said you wanted to do some acting. Did that happen as
Speaker 2: well? No, unfortunately, I know I really wanted to do some acting. I think that's definitely still on my bucket list of things to do. I just released the music and the other day called Boys in the street, which is this very, very emotional song. That was my first step into acting because I had to act to parts of the story, one was a young boy, one was a kind of a father figure that was getting down on the boy. And so I had to kind of represent that visually. So that was quite a nice little step into that kind of vibe as for exploring. Singapore didn't get to do that either. What I've been doing my research though and I have seen, I've seen that you guys have the Gardens of the Bay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is going to be the last stop on the asian tour, isn't it? I do believe, hopefully you have some
Speaker 2: time. Hopefully I want to come to see the Gardens of the Bay. I wanted, I've seen something called the Centaurus a giant swing,
Speaker 1: I don't know, there's a giant swing,
Speaker 2: Okay. I mean it looks terrifying, but it looks it looks gorgeous as far as I could see. There's tons of like gardens and zoos and lots of like nature and stuff, which I'm very impressed,
Speaker 1: very small, but we've got a lot of things to do and the offer still stands, jean said the last time she'll take you around and I will join this time around and we'll be a proper good tour guides if you have the time. Absolutely. Getting back to the music, tell us about what we talked about your new song called Heaven, let's talk about your new album, which should be coming out soon as well. What can we expect Is it going to be in the line in the vein of Heaven? It's gonna be something different.
Speaker 2: I think there's gonna be a really nice journey with this album, because, you know, the first album was very much me being like, oh my God, I'm sand, and I get to, like, do this album, this is crazy. And like, you know, everything was kind of like, like a kid at christmas. Yeah, it was just like, oh my God, I get to be Business is so exciting. And I think when it, when it came to writing the second album, it was kind of very much like a right, you're an artist now there's a new level to it. You know, you're an artist, people relied on your songs to get by or to become more confident with themselves, or, you know, they might have used your music as the first dance on a wedding or to celebrate somebody's life or whatever it is, sound tracking these amazing moments in their life. So now I have a responsibility and I took that very seriously and it kind of made me grow up a little bit.
Speaker 1: Do you feel the pressure though?
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course, of course. I mean, you look at the ridiculous stats at the first album and you're like, well no pressure. Just got to write an album that breaks all those records. There was some pressure when I was writing this album, but I must admit, the more that I just enjoyed writing the second album as that kind of stage in my life is this is just the next chapter for me, the more I started really enjoying the process, I must admit, I feel more confident on this album. I feel like my writing and my vocal ability is, is developed. You know, there's a new sense of, like, hope and resilience within this album. So it's definitely don't get me wrong, there's definitely quite a few ballads on exactly prepared to cry. But you know what, I feel like it's an elevated, more evolved version of the first album. It's very emotional and emotional provoking, but then you also have those moments where it's just like, okay, yeah, I feel good about this song and it makes you feel motivated? So it's a journey which I'm always really keen to show up my life shows, and all my albums.
Speaker 1: You've always been quite raw when it comes to writing your music, you bare your soul. But that was also at the beginning where everything is very new. Do you feel like being in this industry for a couple of years already? Do you feel like you still bear everything? Everything is you're wearing heart, your heart on the sleeve? Or do you feel that now maybe some things are no go zones when it comes to writing the songs, or is it No, it's
Speaker 2: all put it all down. You know what I've never really known any different. So I've only ever like being honest and being vulnerable and used my life experiences and my personal experiences don't get me wrong. There are some songs on this album, one of them called Bridges, the title track of the album that is very personal. I argued with myself whether I should put this song on the album and then I realized that some of the songs on the album have been such tools for people and has been a medicine in some ways for people that I kind of owe it to my friends and to my audience to be honest and vulnerable because it's honestly that pays two fold. You know, like when I've been honest with my music in the past, people will send me messages all the time with their own stories and they're being personal with me. So I kind of feel that it's the only way I know how to do things. It's just bear in my heart and soul and put my blood sweat and tears into a song, Don't get me wrong. All my songs like that are a little bit more, you know,
Speaker 1: but we really appreciate it because I think it takes a lot of courage and a lot of, a lot of courage and bravery to actually put your soul out their final question, you're gonna be in Singapore to perform for us at the capitol theater. What can we expect?
Speaker 2: I mean, it's going to be, there's going to be a new sense of appreciation, I guess for live music. I mean, we're finally back in venue. So it's just going to be that magic of being shoulder to shoulder with people and me being able to see the lights in people's eyes, it's no longer a zoom screen is actually people in front of me and that magic of being at a live show and enjoying just forgetting about everything that's going on in the world and just being present in that moment in that theater is just going to be the best brand new music, full albums, worth of new music and a new band that I love that I've got on so well with what I want to do is I just want to bring my live show to Singapore, I want to make it bigger and better than last time. I want to make sure that people walk away from the capitol theater and I'm so glad that I went to that show, It was worth every penny. You know, because that's the kind of show I want to put on, I want to make sure that people walk away and go, oh my God, that was amazing. And I want to bring on some new fans. You know, if you've never been to one of my shows before and you're thinking about booking tickets, please do. It's going to be a lovely night of just love and appreciation and enjoyment. Whether you're really into the music side of things or whether you're into the lyrics or whether you just want to sit and cry or move and bop along. There's something for everybody.
Speaker 1: It's a human connection and we're definitely looking forward to that. Looking forward to see you in Singapore. And if you're gonna be going around, look us up will definitely take you around.
Speaker 2: Yes, it sounds like I'm going to have quite a few tour guides, which is not a bad thing.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much. Callum, We'll see you soon.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Now calum scott will be in Singapore as part of the Bridges Asia tour, 28th of october at capitol theater tickets go on sale Wednesday, june the 15th at 10 a.m. at S G dot book my show dot com. And of course look out for Kalam's latest album called Bridges Out Soon. Hey guys, it's Callum scott here. Class 95 gets up close with calum scott.