Speaker 1: Hello Hazel.
Speaker 2: Hey,
Speaker 1: I'm Jermaine and welcome back to another episode of Clash podcast. Have you girls heard of this term, Mercury retrograde? Yes, I've
Speaker 2: heard of it.
Speaker 1: What is it? Before we even go into that, let me share with you a quick story. OK. So just because I mentioned about this thing one time to someone, her name is Katherine Robert actually. Just because I mentioned it once, and it just so happened that certain things I said was going to happen, happened to her. From then on, she kept asking me, so when is it going to retrograde again? What is going to happen? I said, don't know lah.
Speaker 2: Actually, you know, because retrograde is a scientific thing. It is when the planet Mercury appears to move backwards in its orbit around the sun. So instead of west to east, it moves east to west.
Speaker 1: So actually, Mercury. It is not the only thing that retrogrades because every planet has this retrograde thing where it'll move in the other direction than it was supposed to.
Speaker 2: But Mercury astrologically is associated with a few things communication, travel, technology, and decision making. So basically what it's saying is that during retrograde, those four things will go haywire or
Speaker 1: you should be more cautious of these things in your life. I have learned so much in the past 2 minutes.
Speaker 2: But Mercury retrograde, well, it happens a few times a year. I think last year it was like 4 times. The year before that it was 3 times. So it's either 3 or 4 times a year.
Speaker 1: So whenever it happens, everybody on earth will be sort of like
Speaker 2: affected. Everybody on earth is a big is a big blanket. Term, I would say that you make your own fortune. Yes, but if you do believe in astrology, maybe you can do certain things to
Speaker 1: counter the effects.
Speaker 2: It's like during Hungry Ghost festival, you burn offerings. If you don't burn it, do you think you will get haunted?
Speaker 1: Uh, maybe not, but yeah,
Speaker 2: but some people believe that they're sorry. So it's like during Mercury retrograde, OK, let's better be safe than sorry. Let's not run things.
Speaker 1: Let's be a little bit more thoughtful before we say something just in case we fight for no reason. OK, so how do I know when this Mercury retrograde is going to be?
Speaker 2: So the next one is actually March 14th to April 7.
Speaker 1: That's about a month away from now because it's Valentine's season. Happy Valentine's Day, by the way.
Speaker 2: Luckily it's not retrograde right now.
Speaker 1: You guys are safe. I mean, if your love life is really shit and then it happens to be retrograde, don't just blame it on the mercury,
Speaker 2: right? That's my problem with it. I don't know if I believe in it. In the past I've been like, oh, this time period has been really shit for me. Then a TikTok video will come up. It's Mercury retrograde right now and I'm like, ah, that's why. But I don't really think that you should be blaming it on the retrograde. Like my, my life has been shit other times too like,
Speaker 1: give me some examples of things that will happen when it's mercury retrograde
Speaker 2: period, miscommunication with who can be anyone, right? Your boss. Your partner, your friend, argument, right? Or maybe your phone breaks down.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I hear like people saying, oh, that's a time where you know, if you haven't received or if your karmic loop has not been closed, that's the time where Exit from the past will suddenly reappear.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've heard that happening. So this happened to PD Marie actually. Listen to this story. Oh my goodness. So this happened in last year's August retrograde. The first week of August was very bizarre for me. It all started when my current boyfriend, who wasn't my boyfriend at the time, texted me nowhere out of 2 months of no contact. Totally unexpected. The next day, a guy that I had gone on a couple of dates with texted me too to return a book that he had borrowed months ago. The very next day, a random guy that I matched with on Bumble, like the year before that, messaged me on Telegram asking me to hang out. I couldn't even remember who he was. I was like, huh, this is so random. And then that night she went for a late night supper run with her cousin. On the way back, she saw her ex from 3 years ago. Awkward. Apparently to her this is kind of like a cosmic thing. Like why are so many of these guys appearing in her life? So
Speaker 1: it's too much of a coincidence to be just a coincidence. It's like too much happening at the same time. Like why now and why all?
Speaker 2: Maybe you just have a lot. I'm not sure. I'm not sure, but.
Speaker 1: So how can you prevent this from happening? You can't
Speaker 2: prevent the planet from going backwards.
Speaker 1: OK, just go. But how can you be safe then sorry then, you know, like Hungry Ghost festival, we can burn offerings, right? What can we do during the mercury retrograde season?
Speaker 2: PD says you can burn sage to cleanse your space
Speaker 1: or the what do you call it? Um,
Speaker 2: oh, the wood, the Palo Palo OK or you can burn Palo Santo. I don't know. OK, let me just stop at this midway point and just say like it really is what you believe in, right? If you don't believe in astrology, then don't, don't listen, right? Like for my dad, he believes in. Like the Chinese calendars, yeah, he's very, very serious about that. So he has a book that he gets every year, right? It's by like a feng shui master, and it details every single day of the year, all 365 days. What is this day good for? Is it a good or bad day? And if it's good, what is it good for? If it's bad, what is it bad for? So like for example, right, he wants to have a grand opening, right, or an open house or something, he will have to choose a good day, or not even that. He has to sign, sign a document. He's like, if you give him a document on a black day. Like his, his assistants know never to do that. He will not sign it. He would just be like, today is black. I'm going to sign it tomorrow instead.
Speaker 1: He's, yeah, but it's clearly working out for Jermaine's dad, you can tell. So it's
Speaker 2: what you believe, right? But then because he believes that, so I believe it too. So then I always check the book.
Speaker 1: But the book is specifically for him lah. No,
Speaker 2: the book is for everyone. It's like this Chinese calendar year. It's like retrograde is for everyone.
Speaker 1: So it's not tailored to your zodiac sign,
Speaker 2: the Chinese calendar.
Speaker 1: So when it says that you are going to have a bad day today,
Speaker 2: is that true? No, it's not that you're going to have a bad day. It's that it will be a bad day for you to do certain things like spend a lot of money. Sometimes it even says like cut your hair, bad day to cut.
Speaker 1: It was a bad day to cut your hair, didn't go and cut your hair.
Speaker 2: I don't want to test
Speaker 1: fate, man. That is like really
Speaker 2: ballsy to do that. But you're
Speaker 1: the master of your own fate. Yeah. Well, I've got to say this is the first time in my entire life I'm hearing of the term mercury retrograde, but I kind of like it, honestly.
Speaker 2: So I think that while we're here talking about like Mercury retrograde, you know, planets going backwards and stuff, it's it's very important to also acknowledge. That in a lot of different cultures, they look towards astrology as a very big, you know, signifier of like fates and you know how your day is going to go and you know, kind of like things like that fortune and things like that because it's almost like When the planets shift, there is a magnetic shift on Earth.
Speaker 1: I think honestly there's a lot of science behind it. I can understand why people don't believe in it or say things like, oh, you know, astrology is like it's like we wee things, right? But I think there's a lot of science behind it and I usually like when people ask me why I believe. I usually say like, oh, but you know like what controls the tides and are we not like 70% water? Very true and I know I might be talking cock no,
Speaker 2: no, I believe that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know people in the past, they really studied the sky, like thoroughly studied them to understand. I don't know the energies behind it and the kind of connections it has with people living on Earth. So, well, I think to a certain extent there's a lot of credibility in this as well. OK, so what else can you tell me about Mercury retrograde? So basically, right, whenever a planet goes into retrograde, because every planet represents something like for example, Mercury is like. that kind of technology. So every planet represents something, but at the same time you got to cross check it with your birth chart and see what house that planet coincides with and then you can see how it directly affects you in which area. Who got time?
Speaker 2: My recommendation is if you don't know. About Mercury retrograde, don't learn about it because I, I almost feel like it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. Like, OK, you see, right, this person is like, oh, you know, during last retrograde, my car battery died. I was shortchanged $1 at the cash register and then I got in a massive argument with my spouse. Fuck retrograde. Um, maybe, you know, your car battery was just overdue for a change. A dollar, let it go lah, OK, and massive argument, maybe you need therapy and or better communication skills. I don't think it's just a retrograde. No, that's what I'm saying. Like people just put it on retrograde. Sometimes it's like a. Self-fulfilling prophecy like you think things are going to go bad, so they do.
Speaker 1: honestly my past master has told me never to wear the colors black, white, or wear jewelry that's gold or silver because these colors are not good for me. Then what jewelry can you wear pearls? Oh. You know, those that are not gold or silver basically, but I end up going in black or white outfits anyway because it's so tough to avoid those colors, you know what I mean? And then sometimes when something bad happens, I think to myself, hm, is it because I never heed her advice. Actually
Speaker 2: you look really good in white. Hey, thank
Speaker 1: you.
Speaker 2: I don't know what she's saying because you look stunning in white.
Speaker 1: Is that the color clash with your past or something, you know, but then one year down the road, I realized actually I'm living my life just as fine while wearing these colors. So it really is what you think it is.
Speaker 2: Someone here actually says she has a bit of a different perspective on Mercury retrograde. She says that It's not as bad as it seems. It just means that you need to have a bit more patience with communication. She actually met her partner during Mercury retrograde. They got engaged and married during a retrograde. The first kid was born during retrograde, second kid on the day that Mercury went. Dictionary direct, I don't know what that means. They're still happily married and you know, it doesn't mean like it's going to be bad or everything then will be bad. You just need to have more patience. It's not a sign that oh it would be bad. Actually I met Andrew during a Mercury retrograde, and
Speaker 1: what challenges do you face, if any? No, when I met him, yeah, doesn't mean that if you met, if you meet your partner during a retrograde. The meetup is not going to be as smooth.
Speaker 2: No, I think my, my point is that, you know, retrograde doesn't mean only bad things happen. Like a good thing came out of that
Speaker 1: doesn't mean like, oh, breakup season, only breakups will happen. So would you say? A mercury retrograde brings more challenges to your love life, or is it like a chance for reflection and growth? I think sometimes it's just a fun thing, you know, like I don't think it's fun. No, I said it's just fun to like, oh yeah, Mercury, you know, like when something happens then you're just like, oh yeah, Mercury got something to blame it on, but as long as you don't actually believe it or you don't actually mean it, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: At the end of the day, OK, whether or not you believe in astrology or you don't believe in astrology. It's always good to have a bit more patience with communication, with life, and we always say here, everything happens for a reason,
Speaker 1: for sure. But what are some things we can take away from this Mercury retrograde thing? It's not necessarily just a bad thing,
Speaker 2: right, girls? Yeah, it's not like, oh, let me just stay at home and then hope that it blows over, not see anyone, not talk to anyone for like two weeks. You can't can't live like that. So maybe take this chance since it Impacts different areas like communication, travel, technology. Are there things you can do in those areas that retrograde could be helpful for?
Speaker 1: Right? I think one thing I picked up from this whole thing is to learn to be more patient. Actually, this doesn't just apply during the Mercury retrograde period every day, but I mean during that period, it gives itself a stronger reason to hone on your communication skills, don't blow up, work on the patient. Yeah, don't snap so quickly as well.
Speaker 2: So during the retrograde also it brings up a lot of the past just now Pey Marie's story, right, all the guys from her life, it's like ghost of boyfriend's past kind of thing. So once it's being dredged up, maybe don't just ignore it. You can approach it, kind of like reflect on it and process it with caution since it's already being dug up from the grave
Speaker 1: or maybe use this chance to really set. An end to it. Like your intentions must be clear, right? Like if this person is reaching out, he must want something from you, then maybe this is your chance to tell him how you really feel or block him. Yes, correct, correct. I think all these like boyfriends popping up, for example, maybe it's time for you to sit down and just think like, why are they coming up? What is the reason? And is it going to serve any purpose in my life? And then you decide from there like what you're going to do with it,
Speaker 2: right? OK,
Speaker 1: so what can we avoid during a Mercury retrograde?
Speaker 2: Um, I think hooking up with your ex would be the top number one thing to avoid during a retrograde because it just sets you back. Into old patterns because you're under him, you ain't getting over him exactly as said. So maybe you know avoid rekindling fires until like after the retrograde and see if you feel the same way with or
Speaker 1: without the retrograde, you probably shouldn't be doing that.
Speaker 2: That's true. That is very true. Um, avoid making impulsive decisions. Avoid like overreacting to things that may have just been a simple miscommunication or misunderstanding. But all these like are good pieces of advice for any time. Yeah,
Speaker 1: but I kind of like that last one because when March 14 rolls around, I can sort of like remind myself to be more patient. I will send a text today is Mercury retrograde all the way to what April 7th it's good timing.
Speaker 2: Let us know how your retrograde.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're pushing this episode one month in advance, so it gives you enough time to prep for the retrograde, you know, but at the end. the day, right? Things like this, whatever you believe in, whether it's, you know, a religion, whether it's a universe, it's still in your own hands and I think sometimes to a certain extent, people like to leave it up to something else for the lack of accountability. Yeah, so believe whatever you want to, but at the end of the day, you're still sort of like the master of your own fate, I agree. I read out this one last story from this user called Hey hey JG. She says, I honestly try to not to allow my fears over bad astrological weather to rule my life. Karma is a tricky thing. I don't think you can get away from it by timing your decisions correctly to avoid bad times. Likewise, you may miss a beautiful opportunity if you stop yourself. It's too tricky to know. So, best bet is to be true to yourself. I'm sure there are many examples of happy, healthy, successful relationship. during Mercury retro. One leading example right here,
Speaker 2: good things can come out of a Mercury retrograde, so don't shun it like the plague.
Speaker 1: So take today's content with a pinch of salt. It's better to be safe than sorry. If you like this episode, follow us on Instagram at its clarity.com. That's right, you can listen to us on me listen, Apple Podcast, Spotify itinerary notifications. So maybe we can, you know, like. Give you notifications on the Mercury retrograde on the channel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we need like a retrograde alert or something, yeah, OK, OK. And of course we're on YouTube as well. If you want to know if tomorrow is a good day, ask me, I check with my dad.
Speaker 1: I can take you guys next time. Bye.