Speaker 1: Now,
Speaker 2: Health Matters with Daniel Martin. Welcome into Health Matters right here on CNA 938, everybody. I'm Danielle Martin. Many of you were shocked by the recent news of the death of the Taiwanese singer, actress Barbi Sue. She was 48 years old and most known for her role on Meteor Garden. Reports saying she died from pneumonia. After contracting influenza and this was during a trip to Japan in fact what has sadly been trending on social media in China in particular is the term Japanese flu. Is this something specific? What do we need to know about influenza turning into pneumonia and how often does this kill? If you have any questions about influenza or pneumonia sparked by this really sad and tragic case, uh, to the Taiwanese singer actress Barbie Sue, you're welcome to WhatsApp your questions across at 963-11938 as I speak to Doctor Lo Jiashen, infectious disease specialist based at Fair Park Hospital. Doctor Lo, welcome back.
Speaker 1: Hello. Hello, hello.
Speaker 2: Let's understand the Barbie case a little bit, OK? This caught a lot of people by surprise. They've been published reports by her friends saying, oh my gosh, I just saw her before she left for her trip, that kind of thing. This is what a contraction? Was it a specific type of influenza that became a specific type of pneumonia? What do we know?
Speaker 1: Uh, we know this is seasonal influenza, so this is the influenza that normal that we catch now and then that the The one that we commonly call the flu. Yes, this is not anything as far as the reports come. We don't have any new information that this is anything novel or pandemic strain or avian influenza. We don't have any reports like that. So it seems like this is just seasonal influenza.
Speaker 2: And why does influenza become pneumonia?
Speaker 1: Uh, actually, influenza can become pneumonia, uh, in, in, I mean, strictly speaking in two different ways. One where the pneumonia is actually caused by the influenza virus, in which case it's an influenza pneumonia, or or it's a bacterial pneumonia that follows the influenza, in which case it's called the influenza related bacterial pneumonia, right? Because pneumonia just means infection of the lung, but what it is caused by is different, whether it's caused by influenza or a bacterial infection subsequently, it is not so clear, which is the one that that the actress succumbed to. Yeah, so it is not that uncommon. Some studies say that up to 15% of people with influenza have a concomitant concomitant bacterial superinfection. But a lot of times it's it's something very mild, they get over it and then or some sometimes they get treated antibiotics, they get over it. Um, so it is not that uncommon to get a bacterial infection after that. And one of the reasons is because the after the influenza, the immune system modulates itself in such a way to combat influenza, sort of making it slightly more susceptible to a bacterial infection.
Speaker 2: So what is the more dangerous of the two here? It's the pneumonia that could lead to mortality.
Speaker 1: Uh, no, I think both are equally dangerous. In, in large studies, the, the people have stated something like between 4.4% for influenza-related pneumonias and something like 6.2% in terms of mortality. So, so people are saying it's in the single digits, mid single digits number of percentage chance of mortality for influenza pneumonia and bacteria. So it's about the same. Yeah. And
Speaker 2: is it so fast and so quick? Apparently this trip took place on February 3rd. 0 no, no, the release was on February 3rd, I beg your pardon, but it was early in February and apparently it went pretty fast from the contraction to her passing.
Speaker 1: It is, it is possible. Uh, of course, one of the very well known complications of new, uh, for, for influenza is actually a heart attack. Uh, I think I read from some report that she's known to have some underlying heart condition. So it is entirely possible that the influenza could, I mean, I'm just completely postulating here, associated heart attack. So if it's from a, from a big heart attack, then, then of course that can be very fast and in itself, influenza and pneumonia can can deteriorate quite rapidly in days. Yes, and that we have seen.
Speaker 2: I, I was just about to ask that actually. I mean, in this case, we, we, we don't know, we don't have the full medical details and things, obviously, but what could cause something to take such a downward turn? Is it because of another infection or some underlying unknown cause that had been there all along that could be triggered easily by something like an influenza infection potentially, is it?
Speaker 1: Ah, yes, say a potentially a poor, poor cardiac reserve very bad high condition to start with a poor lung reserve, very bad lung condition. To start with, uh, elderly, a higher age group, unvaccinated age group, a late diagnosis, these are all factors that can, can lead to a rapid downturn.
Speaker 2: See, that's what I that's the thing, the rapidity of it and also the idea, I think not many people have heard about influenza leading to pneumonia as well, but like you said, it's not that uncommon.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But, but how come it's not, it's not uncommon, but how come we never hear about it before?
Speaker 1: A lot of times actually, if you were to do a CT chest on a person with influenza who's admitted and who's really coughing quite bad, many times the CT chest, which is a much more detailed like a super chest X-ray. Uh, you, you actually show some infiltrates on some abnormalities, but people don't get a CT chest. We just get a chest X-ray and some people take some antibiotics, sorry, antiviral antiviral, and they get better on their own. But that could be a case. So some people, uh, some data has stated up to 1/3 of hospitalized influenza actually has some mild or or some some pneumonitis or viral viral related pneumonia.
Speaker 2: It's just there, it's just tagging along for the ride,
Speaker 1: is it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah. Oh man. So what, what, OK, I want to talk about prevention later on, but let me just squeeze that in right here. If you do a pneumococcal vaccine, does that help?
Speaker 1: No, no. It doesn't have influenza because, but it does prevent uh uh mortality from pneumococcal. So, so pneumococcal vaccine prevents streptococcal pneumonia, which is one of the most common bacteria. To follow the heels of influenza, so it helps in that way, in an indirect way.
Speaker 2: So like if you if you let's say for some reason you don't like taking influenza vaccine every year, but at least you took your pneumococcal vaccine, better than nothing, right, potentially prevents the tag along of the pneumonia developing. Interesting. OK. So obviously the the the the case here is don't get the influenza in the first place. That's very challenging with high travel rates, Lunar New Year festive period, global rise in respiratory illnesses are expected as well, and this doesn't have to be a novel strait, it's just a regular seasonal influenza. Correct. So what do we talk about? Why doesn't medical intervention solve this? Again, the big problem is a lot of people think it's just the flu, just the flu, just the flu. This one can easily be solved.
Speaker 1: Actually, medical intervention has done a big way to solve this. Uh, I was just looking at the mortality rates by different countries, and you can see that the countries with more well-developed healthcare systems doing much, much, much, much better. than countries with more broken healthcare systems, you know. So that means that uh I, for example, in Singapore, there's a parliamentary statement, uh, 2023, in the first four months, there were only seven deaths, so extrapolated through the whole year, there will be something like 20 deaths in a year. Um, and some estimates as high as 20% of the population haven't gotten influenza in a year. So 2020% and only, only 20 deaths, that's that's really remarkable. Yeah, and poorer countries will do much, much worse in some, most of these countries.
Speaker 2: So again to high quality good medical intervention makes a difference. What is done if somebody turns up with influenza which has concomitant. Uh, pneumonia.
Speaker 1: Earlier testing, earlier delivery of antivirals, uh, supportive care. If a person can't breathe, they get oxygen. If they can't, if their lungs deteriorate, they get uh supportive care in the ICU. The machine can breathe for them. And in the most extreme case, uh, it's a situation called ACMO where a machine takes out the blood, oxygenates it, and puts it back in the patient, uh, and, and a lot of rich countries and countries good healthcare system has a whole range at your disposal. So medical intervention has actually played a big part in bringing down the influenza mortality, you know.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, in some cases, as we're seeing here, it doesn't always work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there will be one or two cases that fall through the cracks.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And like you said, what if there was some underlying situation, for example, heart issue that's just gonna complicate the recovery.
Speaker 1: Exactly, exactly.
Speaker 2: OK, I want to talk about prevention. Yeah. Why are we, are we taking influenza vaccine or not? Like why are we not? The
Speaker 1: last, I think the last census in 2022, the national survey, a self-reported influenza vaccine rate has gone up to 40%. So, uh, well done because it's better than the previous years of 30 something. I think some years we haven't hit 20, so 2022, 240, so maybe this is spurred on by greater vaccine consciousness with the COVID vaccine, yeah, so, uh. Uh, maybe we can go past 50% and this year we don't know that the numbers are not available to me. But
Speaker 2: that's miles above where we were before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think we have improved 10 10% or more over the last few years.
Speaker 2: OK, I know what you are thinking. The first question always with you, Daniel, you will. Yes, I took it last month. Sorry. I always take it twice a year, at the end of the year and around my birthday, um, as well. So it just spaces it out. There are 2 that come out in every year. Do we need to take both?
Speaker 1: It depends on whether it's a strain. Uh, so if there's a strain, yes. And if there's no strain, usually no need. OK.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about the pneumococcal vaccine. Do we need to take that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure. Uh, up to 65, I mean, it, it's two jabs, PCV 30 followed by 23, and now there's a new new version called a PCB 20. Um, that's available in, in quite a few private centers and so that, um, above 65 in those people with chronic lung disease earlier than that, that prevents mortality from invasive streptococcal disease. So it's absolutely.
Speaker 2: But as we sadly found out in this recent case, she was only 48 years old. She would not even be thinking about taking the pneumococcal vaccine. Can a younger person take it as well if they want to?
Speaker 1: Uh, in this case, she's less than 65, but she has a heart disease, so she actually qualifies.
Speaker 2: So you need to qualify. I cannot just walk into a,
Speaker 1: a, some kind of medical qualification, I need to cross threshold. Oh,
Speaker 2: like me, if I have no preexisting conditions, I'm 44 years old. I can't just go to my doctor and say, can you give me pneumococcal vaccine?
Speaker 1: For you, yeah, yeah, no, you're not vindicated, but influenza, yes, everybody universal every year best practice
Speaker 2: peasy last month I took both, OK, like pneumococcal was in my left arm, COVID was in my right arm. Uh, so it's all good. Just a reminder as we wrap up, pneumonia is one of the top global killers of older people, isn't it?
Speaker 1: Correct. Yes.
Speaker 2: Why is it? I mean, but most people hear about it in terms of hospital acquired pneumonia.
Speaker 1: Oh, no, uh, when they say pneumonia as a as a top cause what it actually means is it's usually um community community acquired and the hospital acquired pneumonia has a very strict definition, and it is not of course not as common as acquiring in the community and community acquired pneumonia, pneumonia just means an infection of the lungs. Sometimes it's hard to tease out whether it's a viral pneumonia or bacterial pneumonia. They kill all just the same in the elderly, right? So if we can prevent it, why not, you know.
Speaker 2: And is it likely, I wonder whether this has happened regularly in the medical world. Somebody has turned up with pneumonia and it's after investigations that most likely this started with a recent bout of influenza. I'm sure that happens for a lot of health issues, right? Even heart issues.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we, we have detected that. We have detected. cases where there's influenza and then uh maybe a few days ago and then there's a pneumonia and sometimes if people come with bacterial pneumonia, we can still catch some traces of, of, of influenza on the PCR test kits.
Speaker 2: So the issue is like that's a very strong trigger for something else as well. So don't get the influenza in the first place. That's right. That's the key point. Doctor Law, thank you for helping us understand that. We really appreciate your time today. Thank you. He's Doctor Liu Jiahe, infectious diseases specialist out of Fair Park Hospital. This has been Health Matters. Before making any decisions based on the information in our program, please consult a medical professional.