Speaker 1: I say so, hey DEA and welcome back to another episode of clarity. As you can tell, we are very happy and very sad, happy because this is a brand new set, but sad because it's our very first episode in the new set. But Jemmy can't be here with us today. She's feeling a little bit under the weather but today we have a special guest and by special, I mean, very, very special because she is the youngest member of Singapore's 14th parliament representing Ang Mo Kio Grc. Let's give a warm welcome to.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you. I was seeing that cushion smell very new,
Speaker 1: the smell. Tell our viewers more about yourself.
Speaker 2: Hi, everyone. My name is Nadia. I think as Hazel mentioned, I currently serve as the youngest member of parliament here in Singapore as a parliamentary duties. I think other than what you see as in parliament, sometimes in tiktok snippets, we also do a lot of ground work in our constituencies. I serve in Ang Mo Kio, which is actually even though I'm the youngest, it's one of the oldest constituencies. So I have about 25% of my residents who are over 80 years old. Wow. But I, I love the dynamic actually that has panned out. I mean, you know, I really see them as parents and grandparents and as much as you try to look after them, you know, they also look after you. I'm very grateful. So there's groundwork. We also look after the estate. So all your town council complaints. Yes, we also you want to start later. I take my notebook, I take my I feel for you. Thank you. There must be so many complaints coming here. Yes, let's not go there. But yeah, we also play other roles. I mean, I also, you know, as the youngest speak on different issues close to the heart of many of our youth and as a woman, which is why we're here today. And as a minority, I mean, these are some of the different issues that I speak about. She does everything
Speaker 1: you wear so
Speaker 2: many
Speaker 1: hats. What got you started in the first place?
Speaker 2: I mean, I've been volunteering since I was 15 and I think, you know, my dad actually was affected during the SARS period. So pre COVID, my dad used to be in the airlines. He flew for 30 something years and he and many of his batch were affected by what happened during SARS. He was so breadwinner at the time. And so for us, it was quite a difference and I started working from quite early on and without financial assistance. I wouldn't have been able to complete whether it's my A levels or whether it's uni, so a lot of things I'm very grateful for. And so my mom always said, you know, you should then sort of do something and contribute in whatever way you can. So I volunteered since I was young. And I think for me, I see it as a way of continuing to serve and do work in the community Prior to our batch of MP S, you mentioned parliament. We've actually only had four Malay women in the history of Singapore politics. I never knew that for so it's former president Halima Dr Fatima Latif Dr Intan and Hau, who currently is still serving as well. And then Maryam and myself, we are the 5th and 6th. And I think at the end of the day, we all bring different voices to the table. I mean, I felt that it was something that when presented with this chance, I think it was something that I thought, OK, I'm gonna take it, do my best. And if I'm useful, I'll try.
Speaker 1: Nadia. Here is like the epidemic of a woman who has fought many battles like growing up being put in a stressful condition. Your dad being the sole breadwinner and to have that job taken away from him because of the pandemic, right? Have you ever heard of this phrase? Women can never win but we disagree. I disagree. You disagree? I disagree.
Speaker 2: OK?
Speaker 1: Tell me more. I feel like, especially in this day and age, we have a lot of space and a lot of grounds to fight for ourselves. I wouldn't say things are the same if it's my mother or my grandmother's time. Yeah. But for now I feel like we are able to fight for ourselves. You know, I think
Speaker 2: when I think about women can never win, I almost slightly agree. Only because I think we don't allow ourselves to win because we always want more from ourselves like we never feel like we've won. I mean, you look at Nadia, right? And she wears so many hats. She does so many things. I look at her and I'm like, actually when you sleep, do you have 36 hours in a day? I have a time turner. She does so much, right? And you wonder like, how is it that someone can do so much and play so many roles? I mean, she's mommy to be 30 weeks in? Thank you. Thank you. And it just feels like, you know, you always look at someone else, you look at another woman and you just always feel like how are you doing all this? Yeah.
Speaker 1: So you mentioned that you women can never win. You disagree with this sentence? Why? So,
Speaker 2: ok, so I think you both raised very valid points and both that I agree with. I think one is that we've come a long way and you know, many, we stand on the shoulders of women who have come before us and men also who have, you know, been allies. Yeah, great champions who have also supported the building of this space. And I think that's something that's really important to acknowledge. But with this increased space is also faced possibilities. And that's where I think what Azura said comes in as well. That actually a lot of it is beyond the societal expectations. It's the expectations that we place on ourselves and sometimes it's just impossible buzz. I was very blessed in my early career. I did corporate M and A and I had this amazing lady boss who said that, ok, at the end of the day, you can have it all just maybe not all at the same time. And I think that's something that's really important to remember. Um And look, I mean, everyone has different ways of how they want to lead their lives. But I guess thinking about it from a career perspective since it's my first boss. One thing that I used to share with my juniors is if you print out a calendar, like a monthly blank calendar and fill in your time, I genuinely how you're spending it for a month. What's important to you? Right? I mean, are you going to the gym? Are you meeting up with your friends? Are you going to church or are you how much time in a day and all of these are different colors. And then when you look at it at the end of the month, you ask yourself, is this congruent with how my, my values I want to live my life. Because until all that is congruent, I think it will always feel like you are either lacking something, letting someone down, including yourself or just not achieving any, you know, this impossible bar. But that piece of paper and how you spend your time has to speak to what you want to achieve for yourself. Shall we sit down after this and do a lot of pink highlighters
Speaker 1: as Nadia was saying that I was actually thinking about my own calendar like in the past month because in my smartphone, the calendars it comes with colors, right? What is one color? Personal thing is another color. And I find that most of them are filled with pink, which is work related events. And then I think about it is this how I want to spend my life? Is this my value and my purpose in life at this point, I would say yes, yes, because I won't want to have it all in my career. But moving forward, maybe that should change.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And you know, I really want to call that out because I think a lot of times we talk about like work life balance and different people have different views. There's no one right or wrong thing. But again, because of my experience in legal practice, I realized very early that I think it's more about integration. And when I say integration, I don't mean that there's no bound, you know, you know, like your employers calling you at one am you have to pick up zoom call. OK. No, no, no, no, no, that's not what I mean. Can we employ the Australian rule to this? I think that you should have boundaries but every person's boundaries will depend on you. And like you said, right, that the truth is we spend so much time at work. And for me, like it would be impossible for work, whether my social impact work or my work on the ground as an MP, do not be part of my identity. I mean, I'm sure work is part of your identity to some extent. And that's why it goes back, I think to congruence and you know, for different women at different times in their lives, different things take priority and it's a sliding scale, it can change. I mean, it doesn't mean that that's what it is for ever. But I think we also tend to shame women who either prioritize work or prioritize family. And, and I don't think we should do that. You know, I think everyone, first of all should be able to choose what they want to do and what's important to them. Very recently. I heard about the story of this woman who was struggling basically with her life so she, I believe was getting a divorce, was handling two kids on her own. And at that time when she was still married, I think she was, she's like, not working or working part time. And now that she was a single mother, she had to, you know, sort it out. Um, she was trying to work but at the same time she had two kids to handle and then someone who was very close to her, kept going on and on and on about just build your career. Like, can you just not think about everything else and just build your career? Not so easy? Yeah. And I think that really hurt her because that may be important to you. But right now it's the last thing that I can do. But even if I wanted to, it's the last thing I can do. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So a lot of times I feel like a lot of career oriented women have to take a step back when it comes to family like myself. I feel so guilty when I cannot go home to visit my parents at least once a week.
Speaker 2: I'll see you on Sunday.
Speaker 1: Me too. Me. But have you ever felt the stress and the pressure to be a good daughter?
Speaker 2: Um And I think this goes back to what I was saying that, you know, I'm very blessed to have an amazing parents. You know, my mom and dad. Um They really made me who I am today and you know, with, with my younger brother as well. So the pressure doesn't come from them for myself or, you know, I mean, there are comments like, you know, your daughter very busy but you know, my my parents are really wonderful about it and I think as the eldest child, you also kind of take on a lot of the decision making, planning, sorting things out. So I, I do think a lot of pressure comes from myself, you know, wanting to make sure I have the time I have this, I have that. So there was once when I was, you know, I was in a certain job and I was earning not a lot of money. And at that point, I made that decision because I wanted to pursue that role. But at the same time, I also thought, ok, maybe it will give me a bit more flexibility as compared to corporate MN A. And so in that role, I remember I had the chance to bring my dad for his cataract surgery and I could sit with him and wait with him and the whole thing, right, which I would not be able to do if I was in my former role. I was thinking to myself, ok, you know, I made the right choice, right? I could accompany my dad and etcetera. But then we got to the counter to make payment. And because, you know, my dad is of the older generation, he could get certain medical subsidies and the Polyclinic had told him, ok, this is the amount of your cataract surgery and you get 50%. So the interpretation was that was the total amount and the amount you pay will be half. But when we went to the counter, they said that this is the amount it's already half, it's already subsidized, it's already, this is the, and I mean, it wasn't a super huge amount but it was more than what was in my bank account at that point in time. Right? And I remember just thinking, oh, wait a minute, like these are very real tradeoffs between, I had the time to accompany my dad and do this. But at the same time, financially, you had to take a step back, you have to reassess. So again, it goes back to I think what you can or need to prioritize at that point in time and there's really no right or wrong answer now that you're about to become a mother yourself. Yes. Have you thought about how things are going to change or how your time management is going to change or what you're going to have to give up because it must have crossed your mind. You know, I've been taking care of people. Is it maybe time for me to take care of my own child? You asked me very difficult questions. I mean, I think firstly, you know, the truth is that none of us go at this alone. We, you know, have each have our own support systems, whatever that might look like for different people. For some, it's your, your closest oldest friends, for some. It's your grandma, your auntie, your uncle, your parents, your husband, etcetera. So your partner, it really depends. And I'm very grateful for the tribe that I do have. So firstly, I recognize that it won't be me alone doing this. I would like to think that with a child, a child adds to your life rather than take away from it. And I hope to build that kind of, you know, parent, child relationship, which does that. I think a lot of young parents these days they do things like take the kindergarten kid out for like Bandung and then have a real conversation about, you know, I have another friend who used to call her son, little man and that was just the way that she communicated and her life didn't totally change because she didn't allow it to. Yeah, in the sense that it wasn't ok, we can only go out in between this time and this time and then we're very, you know, fixed about it. So my husband and I have a lot of these conversations about what we think it would be like or what the kind of parents we hope to be. But at the same time, I think it's very like some survive, you know, I mean, at the end of the day, right. Like you don't know for sure what it's going to be like. And my sort of approach is take things as it comes. I mean, you can have a plan but you change, change. I mean, you know, politics was not on the card. So I see this as my five year plan new and, and the, the other day got the best of plants, I think. So, you know, you just roll with the punches and you prepare as much as you can. And baby's been very quiet so far, which I'm very grateful for. So don't come out so early, but we got a lot of things to finish
Speaker 1: on that note. Can I ask a very real question? Have any residents come up to you and ask if you would be less available after you give birth?
Speaker 2: Honestly, I'm sure. Oh, no. And to be honest, I've had very, very kind residents who have also said like, you know, because I, my husband and I didn't really share the news until I was quite far along until I think I was past six months. And you know, a lot of residents have, well, meaning like, you know, go like MP you should have a child soon and all that. So I'm like, yeah, you ask him to ask, I have delivered, I will be delivering and actually there have been residents still like, you know, oh, I can help you babysit. I still can, by the way. Ok. Very good. I know what you say and I'm very grateful and I think there are tradeoffs that I, I will have to make in terms of how much time I think, you know, some people talk about being able to take like a year of work to be able to spend with the child for the first year. I mean, I think I just have to also be very practical and realistic that they have different commitments in my life. And that's not an option for me today. Is there guilt? Uh, there is the other day I had six events and the first one was quite a long stretch. When I was on my feet, I was walking up and down and my first meal of that day I think was around 1 p.m. and I hit Tapao and I was eating in the car and that's just the reality of what it is sometimes. So I went through the rest of my day, I finished at about nine. It was me autumn, I went home and I just remember feeling so guilty like, you know, oh, I didn't, I didn't get to feed you properly today. Um, I was, you know, I didn't get to rest. I didn't put my feet up. My feet were really swollen. I was just thinking, ok, I'll try harder. Yeah. And I think that's just part of the ups and downs. And what we have to bear along the way. I shouldn't stop you. I shouldn't stop you from trying to achieve all the things you want
Speaker 1: to balance it. What about your role as a wife,
Speaker 2: as a wife?
Speaker 1: Do you think you are living up to that?
Speaker 2: Oh, no. You know anyone else
Speaker 1: only
Speaker 2: to yourself. So, you have to ask my husband. I hold on. I got ok. She knows my husband, I think, yeah, if it goes back to what are the different versions and visions of it. And I think that's something that's very important between partners that you have that agreement and understanding about how you're going to be there for each other and in what way? So I'm really very fortunate to have an understanding and supportive husband without whom I would not be able to do half the things that I do. And it was a very serious conversation early on that if I were to go down this path, this is what it will look like. And we've had to adjust the sales along the way and have very difficult conversations. But I think at the end of the day we are ultimately stronger for it. And I think the most comforting thing to be able to go home and be like, yeah, it was a really hard day. Oh, yeah. It was, it was a really great day and I know that he likes to hear the stories of the residents interactions because he knows that that's important to me. So I don't know if I'm fully like a plus, but I think it's like, ok. Right. I don't know. You really have to ask him sweat. The moral of the story is choose your partners wisely. But, you know, like when you do your walk about, when you meet a resident, do you see women who, you know, struggle the expectations of caring for the elderly because you have so many like d residences there, I think firstly, caregiving, I mean, whether you're a son or a daughter is incredibly challenging and a lot of times you can feel like your entire life has been put on hold or you need to put it aside in order to look after the care recipient. And a lot of times it does fall to the daughter sometimes unfairly, right? Sometimes a bit too casually, like an unspoken thing, you know, the they just assume your daughter will look after, you know, and you know, especially during COVID, I think where, you know, a lot of our elderly are also very independent, they want to live alone. I mean, my grandma, for example, is one of the who is fiercely independent. I mean, she's 89 but she's like, yeah, you know, she only very recently consented to having a helper at home, but before that, she really wanted to. And I see that in that in so many of my residents who are very resilient, who are very independent, who don't want to give up or don't want to have someone else in their home. So for a lot of caregivers who have an idea of how care should be given, they also can't always deliver that care because, you know, they don't ask mummy to come and stay with me, my mommy don't want. And so I have to make this commute, you know, every day to look after. And it is really, really challenging, especially when you also have your own, say like kids, your own home to run, you know, your own job to do, which is why I think having more access to resources. So for example, knowing that there are active aging centers also in the neighborhood that maybe, you know, you don't have someone there 24 7, but maybe you can control when you want to step into a day activity center, meet other people and then when you're done, you know, you go home. But there are unfortunately cases also of very real burnout. And even beyond that period of caring, I think at some point if the person you're caring for has passed on, it is incredibly challenging because you feel like so much of your identity has been I am this person's caregiver and so who am I now? And it's not just, you know, daughters or Children, but also spouses because at the end of the day, you know, in terms of health span lifespan. Women in Singapore tend to live. I think it's about 56 years longer than the men. So for a lot of wives who, especially of the older generation, like you were saying, have grown up, you know, through the years, maybe not working for a long time. And a lot of the identity has really been tiered to, you know, oh, I am missus, someone that can be such a huge shift that they need to be supported to realize that you are more, you know, there is still stuff for you to go out there and achieve. Yeah, very sad, sorry,
Speaker 1: very, very real, real stories. And these examples, we might very well face them one day ourselves as well. But I also think like at this day and age when it comes to social economic status, women are no longer at a disadvantage like last time when it comes to cases like that, maybe the man will bring in more money and then the women will be pitching in less. But I feel like now it's more of like a 5050 sometimes the woman and can also be earning more than the men.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I think again, it goes back to how you and your partner choose to run the household and of your life. I do think that in this day and age, there are more dads who want to be very active parents also want to, you know, spend time with their little ones. And you know, I think the steps that we've taken towards paternity leave, leave and shared parental leave are sort of the policy implications of what society is asking for. And in that case, you know, I think there also are sometimes really difficult expectations on men where the expectation is. OK. Yeah, you are supposed to bring in more what you know, but then you're also supposed to be more active, more active and then, you know, you're also supposed to be very strong and stoic, but you are also supposed to be vulnerable. I mean, it's a confusing time for a lot of people out there and I don't know if it's about balance really, but it's about harmony. And I think for every couple it looks different and the most important thing is for people to be able to feel that they can be themselves and that they can be confident in the choices that they are making and that people are not going to touch them. And frankly, it's nobody's business how you want to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's so true. So I have a friend, she made a career switch and by making this career switch, she actually took a pay cut. So her damn boyfriend now husband actually offered to pay more for her mortgage. But a couple of years down the road, she's actually making more than her husband now and she offers to pay more mortgage back. But to me, I don't know if that concept like the woman paying more for mortgage. I know, call me for like whatever, but I'm more comfortable with a 5050 kind of thing. So that like, you know, I'm always safeguarding my money at no point in time. Am I like paying like maybe 70%? So I don't know, I don't know that one. Then you got to see I will get back who is taking more or is it still 5050? Because last time the guy pay more and then now the girl pay more, you know,
Speaker 2: I guess, ok, I mean, I guess the concept of marriage or being in a partnership is ultimately that you and I still exist. But at the same time, we must remember that it's about us. And so for different people, I mean, I think it really is absolutely important for people to be financially independent. I mean, to make sure you are saving, you never know what's going to happen for you as an individual or for you as a couple, you know, both ways. But I personally feel that, you know, in sickness and in health in good times and bad times, you know, really could mean in law, we always think about worst case scenarios, right? So worst case scenario is what if someone is permanently unfit to work, whether it's an accident or something really unfortunate. And then in that case that that person is not even going to be contributing 50% you know, it's gonna be contributing nothing 0%. And then what? Right.
Speaker 1: So I've never considered it from this perspective.
Speaker 2: And then would you be like, disgruntled, would you feel
Speaker 1: how
Speaker 2: real thoughts,
Speaker 1: thoughts insurance is important? But yeah, a question for the floor. If you had to choose between a, being a stay at home wife fulfilling traditional norms or b being a career woman focused on your job full time, what would be your pick? I want
Speaker 2: it all to.
Speaker 1: Are you leaning towards one side? Because for me and it shocks me to say this, I'm a workaholic like she knows it. But I would want to be a stay at home while fulfilling traditional norms because these are moments that money come by. These are moments that once they have passed time cannot turn back. I cannot believe that again. But can I still go and pursue a job at the age of 5060? I definitely can. So, you know, it's like this little things that I don't want to miss out on time with my parents, with my loved ones.
Speaker 2: So your calendar must change
Speaker 1: a bit, the greens must go up, but
Speaker 2: she's consciously been trying to do that. So, yeah, and I think people also appreciate effort. You know, we shouldn't be too hard on ourselves again. It goes to this exact thing about wanting to have it all and maybe just not at the same time but recognizing that time is short, I mean, it's like, yeah, you know, but not at the same time, but time is short. So, I mean, I think that women today are empowered and have the space and possibility to do anything. There's no bar but it's about how do we then find the harmony in what we want do? Personally. I'm not sure that I would be a stay at home mom or a career woman. Ok. I would like to think I'll let you know again, maybe in a year or two, whether I have found that harmony for myself or not. But I think it's, it's, you know, on us to, to try.
Speaker 1: Correct. On that note, I want to share a study with you again. This is done by associate professor called Gan Yon HN. So this professor had said that the reason women's roles have evolved in the workplace but have remained largely the same at home, especially when there are Children involved is due to biology. You know why? Because he said women often begin with nursing the infants and therefore are naturally more hands on when the Children are young. So this habit never leaves. So you are actually doing more and more, you're taking more and more on your plate, your workplace involvements have never changed, but at home it is more for you. Do you think there's going to be for you?
Speaker 2: Sweat? This is like a reality 30 week check in, you know, like, wow, I really can do so far. People have been saying I'm quite chill but I'm not, I'm not sure after this whether I am going to be so chill. I think at the end of the day, it will be about how I prioritize. And I think, which is why also a lot of the steps towards more flexible work arrangements. I honestly, I think that COVID, you know, while it was very challenging for a lot of us in a lot of different ways, one thing that has evolved out of it is this idea of more flexible work arrangements and flexible work arrangements do work two ways, right at the same time, while you may want to be able to four o'clock go off a bit earlier to go and tap out, run an errand before things close. It also sometimes means that, you know, you get home and then maybe you pick up your laptop to clear some emails at seven. I mean, it's a flexible means two way trade offs in that sense. I think COVID did a solid then actually more people do a combination of work from home and work from office. And I think the idea of that trust is very important between employer and employee and how you then manage your time, work effectively, work efficiently and be able to deliver. So I do think we take on more and more roles. So again, it is where your tribe comes in. I think, you know, how can a partner support you through something like breastfeeding? For example, you know, do you have to be the one who changes every diaper? Can you afford to think about whether your mom or mom in law can support with confinement food? I think there are ways that you can try to balance it but until you open your mouth and ask or you know, you must Kai co you don't open. Many people also cannot offer you help. Anything that I didn't want to do. Like with regards to the child, for example, I would just use the excuse I carry for nine months already. Yeah, exactly. You try nine months for the rest of your life. But I do think that we also hesitate to raise our hands and seek help because sometimes we feel like I say or, you know, if I do that, then maybe I will look weak. But actually when you know that, OK, this is my limit, you know, and you raise your hand that actually to me is a show of strength rather than a show of weakness. Because you're saying I recognize this is where I'm at and I really need some help. And I think more often than not, you know, whether it's your partner or your friends or your or your parents or in laws. I do think that people are happy to help. They want to be there for you.
Speaker 1: I think that's a very good point that Nadia has raised. If you don't open your mouth to ask, it can very easily lead to burnouts. So asking for help is one thing I think setting clear work life boundaries is also important. But I recognize that you say like integration, you know, rather than like clear boundaries. But I do think that that needs to be a certain timetable that you can follow. For example, after this time, no more. Checking your work emails, you focus on connection with your spouse, your Children or rest. Rest is so important. Well,
Speaker 2: this is part of the work too.
Speaker 1: Exactly. Exactly. Self care is a full time job and like saying no, when necessary, I think it is important. I
Speaker 2: don't feel guilty.
Speaker 1: So you are the kind you can say no one, you can reject people
Speaker 2: if
Speaker 1: you,
Speaker 2: if you actually had nothing. But then you're supposed to meet a friend for example, but you're so tired like you just want to lie down. Could you, would you still go? Right. My husband, it will be like, you know, come, let's relax if I have like a free afternoon and then I was like, ok, relax and then like 10 minutes later. All right. Yeah, I need to go and clean. I cannot sit still. But, but I mean, having said that I do think rest is part of the world, I do appreciate being able to have those pockets of moments. And I think like you said, even if you integrate work and life, it's just one part of your identity at the end of the day, you have to decide for yourself. Ok? Is someone going to die if I don't reply this email at 10 p.m. are no. Yeah, chances are no. And I think that's the kind of discipline that you also should set for yourself and not just for yourself, but also for your child because they also need to know that sometimes, ok, you know, mommy is prioritizing me, right? And also that there are certain boundaries. I mean, I think you can't be checking your emails all the time and then when your child want screen time, it is very hard to explain,
Speaker 1: right? Like why you can but the child cannot. So
Speaker 2: all things I I in the back of my mind. Ok? So if you thought about it in the back of my mind, I thought about it haven't landed. But, and I think, you know, just overall right at the end of the day, you choose what's most important to you. You try and have it all. But I think we don't do everything at the same level. You know what I mean? Sometimes you willingly give things up even though it could be nice. But I think sometimes you willingly give things up. If there was something more important to you.
Speaker 1: I go back to my favorite metaphor, rubber balls or glass balls. What can you afford to drop and not have it shattered at this point in time in your life? I think this episode of Nadia really provides many good reminders, you know that like women or men alike, we can have it all but just not all at the same time. But any final words for our listeners out there?
Speaker 2: Wow. Final words so heavy.
Speaker 1: Ok, I help you. What do you think people can do
Speaker 2: or like women, especially to not pressure themselves into thinking that they have to excel in every area? Yeah. You know, I think the most important thing for me personally is that society will have expectations of you. It's, they can't help themselves. I say, fuck them. Really? It's your life. You live what I always say, it's true. I mean, you know, even something as, you know, as an example during political campaigning, you'll see that there are polls about which women candidates are the most attractive. Really? Oh, yeah,
Speaker 1: some random websites, the zone zone
Speaker 2: and you'll see even articles, you know, saying like this is what the women candidates are wearing to the nomination centers. And so the expectation, I mean, the sort of implication then is you are expected to look good. Well, while you are walking, you know, sweating your guts out, but you're still expected to make sure you look very well and put together and you're expected to be smart but maybe don't talk back too much because otherwise, then your opinion is that someone who you should take the lead. But, you know, maybe when you're young, maybe you're called bossy. This is like the whole Barbie, this is like the, the barbie mono, which I could not deliver with justice. So I shall not. But I think that at the end of the day, what's most important is your own expectations of yourself. And it's ok if you don't have it all figured out now, it's ok if it changes along the way, I think what's most important is that you and the people closest to you, the people who you love, you're very clear of where that sort of North Star and love bubble is and that should be what you think about when you're making all these big decisions in life. So people can have expectations. Um Azura put it eloquently which I will not say. But, you know, I think while it's all well and good and some of it is just well meaning advice, you know, which you can, you can consider by the end of the day, you know, go back to what feels real and what feels right for you. And I'll tell you why I'm so against expectations, right? Especially from an outside point of view. It's only because at the end of the day, the one who has to deal with the consequences of that decision is yours yourself. Yeah. They have no idea. Yeah, they tell you what to do. But if that's not what you want and you do listen, you're paying for it, it's not them. Yeah, they're gonna go home and think about something else. Five minutes. Correct. Correct. Honestly, you know. So
Speaker 1: yeah, so I would just say live for yourself and just be happy in that process and in that journey with that. Thank you so much Nadia for joining us. I love the IG handle. By the way, it's called something going on
Speaker 2: something going on. Cute, cute.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Follow Nadia on Instagram and follow us as well at isle.co. That's right. You can listen to us on me.
Speaker 2: Listen, Apple
Speaker 1: podcast,
Speaker 2: Spotify,
Speaker 1: turn
Speaker 2: on your notifications.
Speaker 1: We're also on youtube. So feel free to subscribe to us and leave comments in the comment section down below. I read them. Ok. Thank you so much
Speaker 2: Nadia and read all the comments. It will drive you crazy. It's true.
Speaker 1: It's true. That's very true. That's very true as well. Alrighty guys, take care. We'll see you guys next time. Bye.