Speaker 1: Welcome back to our Ask Me Anything segment where Gerald and I take on a work-related question that you have sent to us. Now today's question was sent in by a listener who I'll call Xavier. He says he's in his twenties and has just resigned from a job. Now, initially he thought he was not the right person for the job, but after stating his intention to leave, And he told his manager the interactions were a bit disappointing. Now, it sounded like Xavier was not sure whether he was set up for success in the first place. OK, let me give you an example of what he said. I knew that I was the first official hire for the position, but I was also saddened to hear from my manager that they knew from the start that having a less experienced individual like myself was not going to work out. And that the higher ups wanted someone like myself on board because I was much less experienced and therefore would not command as high a salary. Yeah, so Xavier is now searching for jobs, OK, and he wonders if he should disclose what he went through in his next job interview. If asked for his reasons for leaving, should he say what he went through? Will it hurt his chances of getting a job? Wow.
Speaker 2: So sounds like there's actually a few things happening here, right? The first one is, of course, Xavier and his feelings about how he has departed from the last job, and this has a lot to do with how he feels that He was set up for failure, right? I think it's probably quite confusing for Xavier because when you get into a job first and then you thought that you're the best person hired, and in Xavier's case, he probably thought there was a case and then when things didn't work out and he wanted to resign and the boss told him, uh, actually we kind of know that you're going to fail. Yeah,
Speaker 1: can you imagine. Yeah, and
Speaker 2: and then we only got you in because you know you were cheaper. OK, OK, so I can imagine Xavier and we can imagine how it's very confusing for him, right? And this definitely would um dent his confidence for the future job interviews, especially if he has to ask, he has to tell people like why he he wanted to resign without a job. Yeah, yeah. So I think this being a very confusing time for Xavier. Xavier would probably need to Find some closure or some way of thinking or reframing this situation so that it doesn't get carried forward to the future. I think there can be a lot of resentment, a lot of disappointment, help with the previous job, and this can actually easily show in the next job. During the interview when employers, the HR, they are sniffing for anything that is not. Proper, they were probe a little bit more, a little bit more, and then it gets out. So Xavier has to really come to terms with this situation first. If you were in Xavier's suit, what would you do?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what, it's true, the psychological part is going to be very difficult, but also at the same time, OK, I'm a very half glass full kind of person. So I think the first thing I would do after I have licked my wounds and tell myself it's not me, it's them.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think that's not me,
Speaker 1: it's them. I think it would be to also see that actually, even if I was the only person for that role, even though less experienced, cheap, but you know what, there must be something in me that the employer found that I was hireable. Otherwise they could have just kept the position open. So maybe I will need to reflect back on all the things that I've done and ask myself, what is it that I can bring to the next job role? Are there transferable skills? Are there things that I would consider my strengths.
Speaker 2: You brought up a really important point, right, that it's it's them, not you. And you were picked for the job as the best possible hire at that price at that point of time. So I think these are positives, the silver linings that Xavier can take along with him. I think Xavier has to remember that he was doing a job that was scoped to a higher level, more experienced. He was trusted with kind of responsibility. And this is something that Xaia can probably take forward to the next employer to share that, you know what, I was doing a job that was for someone that was a lot more experienced. I learned a lot from it. I realized that I needed to find something else.
Speaker 1: Yeah and I can take on more. I have proven that I can take on more, so that's why I'm applying for this job.
Speaker 2: I also like to think that from Xavier's perspective, why would the boss tell Xavier, you know, this,
Speaker 1: that is such a low.
Speaker 2: Whether it low move or is it, could it be because they actually have quite an open relationship, like good communication, they trust each other to say the
Speaker 1: boss trust him I don't know Xavier,
Speaker 2: could be that the supervisor really said that to maybe make Xavier feel that it's not you, it's actually us. We did a mistake, so I'm I'm trying to do something good by telling you that, but of course it has that the other unintended effect on Xavier, which is why why Xavier wrote in. So I do think that open communication could be something that's also of a silver lining to show that you know what those things didn't work out, you still could get along with the people in your company.
Speaker 1: Well, Xavier, I I hope that your situation becomes better and both of us are really sorry that you were put in this position, but like we have been talking about here, I think there are silver linings in this situation. You can use some of these as you approach your next job interview. Don't let this one setback affect you. So if like Xavier, you have a work-related question, do write into us. We are at CNA podcasts at Mediacorp.com.sg. We're also on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, me, Listen, and YouTube where a video Version of this is at. The team behind the Work It podcast is Janaini Johari, Joanne Chan, Saya Win, Alison Jenner, Shahzad Dalilia and Christina Robert. Video by Hanida Amin. I'm Gerald and I'm Tiffany. Have a great work week ahead and don't let anybody tell you you are not good enough.