Speaker 1: This is a C N A podcast, real Art or N F T S as an investment
Speaker 2: personally. Yeah. Real art.
Speaker 1: Top three factors to consider when buying an NF
Speaker 2: T, does it have a use case in the world? Why am I buying this N F T? Does it have intrinsic value to me? In which case? That's a personal choice? And what Blockchain is it on? Is it something that is easily transferable, easily re sellable
Speaker 1: N F T s by now or never?
Speaker 2: If you want to get into the space, I would never say never maybe now.
Speaker 1: Good to have you with me on money talks. I'm Andrea Hang now N F T s or non fungible tokens. They broke into the mainstream news narrative in 2021 with their eye watering price tags. Jack Dorsey, founder of Twitter sold his first ever tweet as an N F T for $2.9 million. Digital artist. People sold an N F T of his work for $69 million. Virtually anything digital can be converted and sold as an N F T video clips, audio wave files, game Avatars art. Even memes, maybe it's time for me to rethink my career. But what makes an N F T V valuable or seen as a collectible after all digital files can be easily an endlessly duplicated, right? Think of N F T S as a one of a kind digital asset. The digital file is tokenized to create a digital certificate of ownership, kind of like a C O E that it can be bought and then sold again. And that ownership record is stored on a shared ledger known as a Blockchain. So are you simply buying bragging rights when you're buying an N F T beyond the hype and headline making prices are N F T s and investment asset worth looking at to help us compute this return to Sanya Blockchain insights lead for momentum works. Hey, Sanya, well, it's
Speaker 2: so nice to be here
Speaker 1: with you. Good to have you with us in person to. Okay. So if you had to explain N F T to a complete newbie, how would you do it?
Speaker 2: Right. So first I would say let's break down the three words. So it's a non fungible token. So non fungible, more or less means that it's unique. So when we talk about crypto and Blockchain, you can trade if I have one ether or one Ethereum, I can trade that for another one and I have the exact same thing and
Speaker 1: an ether and Ethereum is a currency.
Speaker 2: It's a Cryptocurrency. So it's like having $12 note or one ether. You trade it for another $2 note or another ether. That's fungible. You can have the exact same thing, but with an N F T it's non fungible, it's completely unique. And so it's really just this unique asset that is stored on the Blockchain.
Speaker 1: Okay. Have you bought an N F D? Do you have, how many,
Speaker 2: maybe too many to count? Now,
Speaker 1: what do you mean too many? I
Speaker 2: have a lot of N F T s mainly because when I was getting into the space, I think the only real way to fully understand it is to dive in with.
Speaker 1: Of course, of course. Um And are the N F T s that you bought mainly art or what kind of mess did you
Speaker 2: get? I've bought N F T s that are art. I've bought an N F T that supports the production of a movie. So as that movie goes into production and if it earns money, I get some of that royalty back
Speaker 1: to myself. Okay. Okay. So anything digital, including this podcast as an audio wave file, it can in theory be tokenized and then sold it as an N F T,
Speaker 2: right? Would you like me to make this an N F T? I can do that?
Speaker 1: Fabulous. I think my producer wants to buy it. Maybe not, depends on how much it's gonna cost, I guess. Okay. So the, the N F T market said to be worth $22 billion in 2021. It blows my mind. So who is buying up all these N F T s? Are they art collectors, investors speculators or just like fans of memes?
Speaker 2: Right? So I think when we're talking about N F T s in this case, it's, it's one specific use case. So it's looking at the art or the collectible aspect of N F T s. The N F T itself is the underlying technology. It's not the PEC itself. And so I think when we're talking about art and collectible N F T s, yes, it probably is. People who are fans of those concepts outside of the fact that they're N F T s. So for example, with NBA top shot, you'll have a lot of basketball fans buying those N F T s or with Nike N F T s, you'll have a lot of fans of Nike buying the Nike N F T s and so beyond the art and collectible, it's, it's the same thing as any fan memorabilia when we're looking at that one use case. So
Speaker 1: kind of like collecting those cards, right? Those Pokemon cards. It's
Speaker 2: exactly like Pokemon cards. Anyone can buy one until you get into the really rare stuff. And then yes, it becomes, it becomes very pricey
Speaker 1: when you say it's worth this much. Half people paid actual money for these N F T So we said earlier that the N F T market's worth 22 billion as far as 2021 goes, are people paying actual money? So did Jack Dorsey actually get paid 2.9 million U S dollars for his first tweet as an N F T? Well,
Speaker 2: so he probably got paid in Ethereum is my guess. And then he went and transferred that Ethereum to a fiat currency like us
Speaker 1: dollars. The only way to transact an N F T is through a Cryptocurrency. For
Speaker 2: the most part, there are some online N F T marketplace is that let you transact with your credit card and they take care of that conversion into Cryptocurrency and their back end and you never see it, but you can pay with your own currency. Here's
Speaker 1: something I'm struggling with why N F T s are even worth money. Like what's their intrinsic value? Because digital files are so easily replicated, duplicated. I mean, it's just right click on the mouth duplicate and it's there like another copy is there doesn't really matter if you have a certificate that you're the rightful owner of this piece of work. It just sounds like bragging rights to me. And how is that worth any money? Sure.
Speaker 2: Let me break that down into two parts. So I think with N F T S it comes down to perceived value. So if I'm a little bit more reductive about it, how is a banknote worth anything, right? It's worth it because people believe that it's worth it, then it has the other layer of being backed by the government. So there's trust. So that's one aspect of it. If there are enough people that believe that there's value, there's value. And then there's also the problem that comes with that. If it's not backed by a trusted authority, the value changes dramatically, it's very volatile. And then the second part of that answer, I guess I would say is that, have you ever bought one of those prints of, say, a Monet painting or a van Gogh painting? I
Speaker 1: mean, postcards at the art gallery. Exactly. So
Speaker 2: millions of people have those, right. The same way millions of people can right, click on your N F T and download the JPEG, but only one person has that Monet hanging in their house or that van Gogh hanging in their house. And I could tell you that I do, but you'd never know if I was telling the truth or not. With an N F T, I can show you that I really do own
Speaker 1: that. Yeah. Exactly. And I think that's the thing that I'm struggling with because it's, it's not a physical item that I own. Right. And while I'm also not paying it physical money per se in the currency that we all know, it's the fact that I'm doing everything digitally and it's not tangible. And I think some people struggle with that. I
Speaker 2: agree. And you know, I think that comes down to why N F T s were created in the first place. We're increasingly living more of our lives in the digital space and say, let's take a very real life example. I have a picture of myself that I posted on Instagram. Anyone can view that picture, but it's not mine per se. It's a copy that exists on Instagram servers. So if I actually wanted to own that picture and have a way to prove that it's my picture and fts can come in to solve that problem.
Speaker 1: Okay. Okay. That's one way of looking at it because I take a lot of nice photos on Instagram and I don't own them. No. Okay. So game developers, they've also hopped onto the bandwagon. They're developing in game items and avatars and they're selling them or marketing them as N F T s that can be bought and sold and then used within the game sphere only. So I see the value in that as an asset but things like tweets memes that blows my mind memes or a picture of a board monkey. I mean, that doesn't seem very valuable to me, to me. I understand. So how should investors then decide on which an F T to invest in? What makes it investable? I
Speaker 2: guess when it comes to investment, I think the rule of thumb is only to invest in things that you fully understand, otherwise I would call it more speculation than investment. And that's where N F T s can be seen. I think more as a speculative asset. You can even say it's akin to buying a lottery ticket. It's, you're hoping that you win something, you're hoping that it increases in value. So I'm not totally sure that in that case, we can call it an investment when you invest in the use cases of N F T s that can provide real world tangible value and companies that are developing that technology, that's an investment I would say. But I think the advice to everyone is to just only really invest in things. You fully understand. What is
Speaker 1: it that I need to understand? If I'm investing in an N F T,
Speaker 2: it can be very volatile because there's no real trust backed entity there. When you're talking about a picture of a board, a por something something very interesting that have been happening in this fear actually is that the sec in the United States actually has set some sort of precedent saying that N F T s can be considered securities because you're depending on the company that produces the N F T doing well to give value to your portfolio. So I think you're really having to deep dive and understand what is the mission of that with people who buy N F T S. It's a reflection on them, they buy them for avatars, they buy them to showcase aspects of their personality when they're living their digital life. And so I think if that's the value to you, then it's an investment in your eyes. But not all N F T s are created equal. The technology can get very mumbo jumbo. If you really understand the risk that you're willing to take, then it's like any other investment. Yeah,
Speaker 1: I heard of an artist who gave the audience at a show the choice to buy the N F T of his artwork and his artwork. So people who bought the N F T s okay. They ran along, they had their N F T s and then the one that decided to buy the artwork were basically left hanging because the artist decided to go burn the original artwork. I mean, this made headlines back in the days. What are your thoughts on that? So
Speaker 2: that momentum works. We actually used that exact example in our first three report. And I've had people make the argument to me that the same way you can lose a piece of paper, you can forget your password and then the same issue, right? You've lost the N F T. But that's actually the argument that I would make back in that case because that's exactly right. A flood can damage a piece of paper, you can burn it, you can rip it up. There's a little bit more security when it's on the Blockchain because it's something that you can prove at any time belongs to you. Everybody can see it on a public Blockchain. You're not the only person who can see that at any given time.
Speaker 1: Hello, everyone. My name is Christina and I'm Adrienne and we're the host of a podcast called work it if you never heard of it. Well, it's a good time to tap in, in the last 20 episodes. We've discussed topics like how to negotiate for a salary increase or how to get along with younger colleagues who have different values from you, which incidentally is our top performing episode. If what consumes your life and you want some perspective on issues like management stress, even office romance. This podcast should be on your list. A new episode drops every Monday. Catch us on the Sienna app or wherever you get your podcast looking at the landscape. Now, are there some N F T s that are, I guess safer for the lack of a better word than others? Like some are less speculative than others? Just out of curiosity? You
Speaker 2: know, that's a good question. I think the N F T s that are less speculative are the ones that have utility so you can buy N F T s. Beyond just buying them to collect, you can buy them as tickets to concerts, you can buy them to watch a TV show. There's a TV show out there that I think stars Mila Kunis that you need to buy an N F T to be able to watch and so they can serve as verification in that sense or they can serve as a ticket to a
Speaker 1: concert. Alright. Okay. Should I only go for N F T s that are backed by a bank or a known institution? I'll throw a
Speaker 2: question back at you. Should you only buy stocks and bonds that are backed by, you know, trusted entities? I would say yes. Yeah, I think people should answer both of those questions in similar ways. Okay.
Speaker 1: That's a good way of putting it. So the NFC market, It's exciting for investors because you know, there's a lot of amazing growth potential, at least that's what's been reported, right? So some reports estimate a compound annual growth rate of 35% per year. That's huge compared to other investment classes such as stocks or property. Obviously, given the caveats that we've been talking about when it comes to NFTS as an investment. Do you think though that we can still consider N F T s as part of an average investorsportfolios something my husband would call play money. Is it worth looking into to put it in my portfolio?
Speaker 2: You know, digital assets in general are in their early days. Will there be more digital assets moving forward? How do we link physical value to these digital assets? These are all questions and proving ownership of those digital assets has been a challenge and we really do believe there's a future for N F T s, but we don't know how big or small that future is going to be yet. And whether to consider that a standard part of an investment portfolio, I'm not totally sure at this point in time given how early we are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a very important question to ask, especially if you want to look at it in terms of an investment. It depends on your investment personality, right? Whether you're an earlier doctor or you're a follower, you want to see what happens. It really just does depend on what kind of risk appetite you have as an investor. Right?
Speaker 2: Absolutely. And I think we think about the way people do due diligence on traditional investments. It's important to do that even when you're looking at an N F T and N F T project, even if you're just doing it personally. Yeah,
Speaker 1: absolutely. Okay. So N F T s we established they are largely paid with Cryptocurrency like Ethereum. So their value is then tied to crypto, which we know is very volatile right now. Should your average retail investors even be looking at N F T s as an investment? So I know a lot of younger people are turning to retail investment, a lot of it's very accessible now and they're jumping on this N F T bandwagon. What's your
Speaker 2: take? So me personally, I would say it has become more of a speculative asset when we're talking about our N F T s and the types of N F T s that you would buy at open sea that are attached to pegs, right? Their digital assets in their early days, we believe that there is a future in front of t is how big that future is. We're not totally sure what their use cases will be that move into the mainstream. We're not totally sure will there be more digital assets moving forward? Are we going to live our lives increasingly in a digital space? These are all questions to consider and like Ice said, really to do your research and due diligence and see the utility of what you're buying and whether it's something that you're buying for yourself personally to showcase an aspect of your personality in your digital space or is it purely an investment in which case really look at it? Like you would look at any other investment and do the adequate research, do the due diligence behind it. So if
Speaker 1: I already own an N F T, should I be looking to sell it now or should I hang on to it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good question. Like I said, not all N F T s are created equal.
Speaker 1: Have you sold any N F T s in recent times or are you hanging on to all of them? Still?
Speaker 2: I honestly could not for the life of me. Tell you which N F T S I have right now and where they are because
Speaker 1: you bought, just
Speaker 2: because I've bought, I've bought quite a few.
Speaker 1: Okay, final advice for our listeners who may be thinking of investing in N F T s or just buying an N F T, please,
Speaker 2: please do your research only invest in things that you fully understand and really look into the technology behind N F T s because it's so interesting and it is going to be something that is prevalent in our lives beyond just collecting art and be open minded. You never know where it's gonna go.
Speaker 1: All right. So thanks so much, Sanya for spilling the tea on N F T s giving us a clearer picture on what makes them valuable time. So our N F T is worth it, I guess as with all investments, know your own risk appetite, do your homework. Sanya has emphasized this over and over again, do your research before committing and thank you to you, our listener. If you've enjoyed this episode of Money Talks as more content for you to enjoy, simply follow us on Apple podcasts or Spotify, give us five stars or better yet. Leave a review. We want to know what you think if you have feedback to write to us at Sienna podcasts at mediacorp dot com dot SG. The team behind Money Talks is Jacqueline Chan, Joanne Chan Christina Robert, and I'm Andrea