Speaker 1: the following is a CNN a podcast. This is the climate conversations. I'm Jamie ho. This episode is a special one. It's episode number 68 the last that I will host so far change, we brought in one of our past guests to ask the questions this time to me. I remember speaking to in in september 2021 she's a young activist eager to spread the message on climate action in her own way on social media, serious messages spread in the uniquely visual way on instagram. So we've turned the tables and she spoke to me about my journey having these climate conversations and this was our conversation. Hi
Speaker 2: Jamie, Welcome to the 68th episode of your own podcast and I'm very happy to be here today with you.
Speaker 1: Hi Shane. It's kind of weird, but thanks for speaking with me and asking the questions for a change
Speaker 2: today, you just have to turn off your podcast host brain and let me Step in for me the next like 20-30 minutes and ask you questions for a change. Since this is a wrapper podcast episode of sorts. It'll be a fun time to look back at all the episodes that you've produced and it's quite a hefty number. This is 68, so that's 67. That's already been out and let's get to the bottom of all of that. Right, So I'm going to ask you some quick fire questions. Maybe just a few, No pressure. And the first one would be what has been the most difficult topic to cover so far.
Speaker 1: I don't think that they have been very many difficult topics. The interesting thing about the climate conversations is that in theory they're all kind of difficult topics because we are facing as everyone knows an existential crisis. We are trying to ramp up action and awareness and education and things like that. They're all difficult and all of them. I try to see that there are difficult conversations to be had, but at the same time, a running theme in almost all the podcast is that there's always some potential for positivity and you know, action can still be done. People say, you know, we can still do it, etcetera, etcetera. And to be honest, it came through most of my conversations with younger people like you in the past and some of your friends like, and as well, right? Where we did get into quite difficult conversations, not difficult in that they were tough, but they raised difficult issues and I quite enjoyed those.
Speaker 2: It's funny you say that because I don't see myself as particularly positive from the entire situation, but that brings me back to, you know, with this being one of your closing episodes, how how are you feeling about everything?
Speaker 1: It's really weird because it's come quite a long way and on certain issues, it's kind of taken a full circle, right? And one of the first things that we spoke about belt, for example, the carbon tax right? And back in well August not last year, the year before that, we were still dealing with the $5 per ton carbon tax, right? And the people that I spoke to and myself included, we're already quite disappointed that we had landed at that figure. And various guests have pointed to the fact that we needed to push this up quite significantly. One of them being lewis in the Mp as well. So we were talking about that very early on, we were talking about, yes, it needs to go up. We're looking at international comparisons. I tried to get into a little bit over one or two episodes as to how we ended up at $5 when the initial indication might have been, there will be 10 to $15. And this was just a year and a half ago, right? But now we see where we've landed in the last 23 weeks with the budget announcement as where it could potentially go up to buy 2030 or so, and that really showed the narrative and the acceleration of action has really been quite stark in the last year. And that's quite heartening to see that coming from the government. That has been, I would say, I suppose a little bit reactive and has listened to people like you, hopefully, like the younger climate activists, like people like Mp louis, um and that's where we are. So it's quite heartening to see that we've come full circle on an issue like that,
Speaker 2: that took me by surprise also. And I know that you have already covered this in the climate conversations. So people who are keen observers of such issues, you see things starting to get to where you want it to be even though where you wanted to be was like, okay, maybe five years ago, it should be here already la but we're here now and let's jump into a bit more of history deep dive for yourself. So I've done some stocking. I've done all my necessary stocking and you're not a stranger to climate change. In fact you've been in it for quite some time, right? Why don't you tell us a little bit more about your background?
Speaker 1: Well, thanks for stalking. Um but just just to recap, I mean Journalism for me has been something that we lived with the last 80 odd years, right? And before that I was a foreign service officer. My last assignment there was as the climate negotiator, right? So I did the whole um cop exercise and all the international travel to get to the cop that I attended which was in Doha. And as you know, diplomats do very regular postings and assignments and very two or three years you get something new, which is a fun part of the job. So that was a real education for me as well. It was intense and in those 1.5 years that I did that it's incredible how much I learned which I tried to bring to this current role in hosting this podcast and also looking after a little bit of overall climate change coverage, but obviously coming from the sort of background as a climate negotiator to be frank with you after I had done that and then in my process that I said, oh my God, is this what it's about? Everyone arguing about comin here and a full stop there and this word versus that word is this really what climate action is about. And there were times when you really felt kind of discouraged, oh, goodness gracious. We go from one year to another just working on a document and then one document and I spoke to Alex Sharma recently, he just says right, these are just collections of words until they become real action. That's when it really starts. So even arguing about words and negotiating words on something like climate change was challenging. But you know, I suppose that's where it has to start, that there is no other alternative to it in terms of coordinated international action. So, on the one hand, yes, that was my past life. But one of the more interesting things therefore, that I saw and I have been seeing more since I left, that was how that complements over all other action that countries by themselves can take in concept between government, business and Ngos and activists like young people like you guys and that is really what it's encouraging. So for me, I think again, it's been a great experience doing that in my past life, One element of it. And they're now seeing it here and then in my own little way now being able to advocate a little bit more as well. You know, when you're a diplomat, you're usually sort of representing a national interest and the challenging part about that is that you have to balance the national interest with what internationally is expected and what internationally can be done. And the three of them don't always match. There are always these junctions between what's realistic, what needs to be done and what nationally can be done to. Right? So yeah, it's been a fun ride. Really enjoyed that. Being able now to have taken the last 4.5 years to advocate again for climate action through this podcast has been great
Speaker 2: as your own perspectives on climate change change as you become, you know, chief editor at C. N. A. Digital, you know, like has there been any big shifts in your own personalized about how you view what can be done about climate change?
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. Indeed. One of the things which I could never understand about the climate negotiations first, right, was all the travel that went behind it, you know? And because unlike, let's say the U. N. Or the W. H. O. The W. T. O. There's no permanent home for the climate negotiations. So people travel a lot. You traveled to a cop to travel to a pre cop which is the meeting before cop. You traveled to this half yearly meetings that bond and in between people travel as well. And I'm like why hasn't someone mentioned the carbon footprint before? But that got me a bit perplexed after a while. I dealt with it in my own little way. But now having come out and spoken to so many people, one of the biggest things for me now is sort of a global level which is related to all the travel is I think we haven't and I've come to understand this even more and more talking to younger people, especially we haven't come to grips with how we are consuming as human beings, our overall consumption and the trend towards using the resources that we do and it's in everything that we do. And I do realize now that it is so fundamental to our existence, right. Whether it's the clothes we wear, the food, we eat, the cars we drive, the homes we build, everything is about consumption. And until we realize that if we are serious about addressing not just the issue of climate change, but overall sustainability, we need to really come to grips with. Is it always an upward trend in terms of how much we consume as a civilization. I don't make it sound like it's bigger than it is. But I think that's the truth that always one problem can be solved just by creating something else and consuming more of something else? I wish and I hope that you know increasingly we as a people can talk about that a bit more. That's something which I would suppose being able to learn given my perch here as chief editor and also hosting this podcast and being a parent and talking to as I said, I always say this young people like you you do realize I think we do need a reckoning of thoughts and I'm glad that I think the younger folks have been pushing that more than us.
Speaker 2: Yeah and I really like what you said about the fact that it's almost like we haven't re consult the climate crisis with our own day today or even for us who do that day today there is a very weird cognitive dissonance that even as I reduce my plastic today, the world is still burning but at the same time you can't give that up. And then there are people flying all over the world for U. N. Conferences of climate change and there's just so many hypocrisy is that you are also made to come to terms with that. Speaking about conversations that you're driving, there are questions for this podcast that I have gathered from your past guests from your staff and I think one that asked this is from Melissa liu who is a past
Speaker 1: guest for a
Speaker 2: freak. Okay.
Speaker 1: she
Speaker 2: asked what drives you in this world and what's the genesis of something like the climate conversations, especially what with your experience
Speaker 1: at some point, Mediacorp and Sienna decided quite rightly that they wanted to put climate change and sustainability as a real corporate as well as editorial area of focus. So we built a vertical on our website, our colleagues on the broadcast side of the house is so devoted resources to propping their coverage quite significantly. It is one of those weird coincidences in life that they had me staying sitting around and they say, hey this is right up your alley, why didn't you do this? So what drives me is the fact that it's a different kind of perch right? When you were sitting as a climate negotiator, you had a little perch, not the most influential so to speak, in that yeah, you you are there, you have a job to do. Sometimes it doesn't sit well with you as a person, sometimes it does, but it is that is a smaller universe. And now where I am, I do feel that I am fortunate to have had that bigger purge. So what drives me is really to be able to at least help work with my guests to, if they can't answer at least let's ask the questions together, the harder questions about the things that we need to do from the big actions to the smaller ones. And one of the things that drives me really is the need for us to really always focus on the big picture at the level of government, at the level of the big Corporates. And let's not get too distracted by the micro actions. I think the micro actions are needed amongst individuals, but sometimes they can be a substitute for real action. Yes, plastic bag bans are good. Using a fewer, plastic bags are good using two less straws a day is good. But those, I characterize them as micro actions, which pushed the extreme sometimes distract and delay real action. So that has been a running theme for me that drives me too. I'm a firm believer in big problems, need big actions and the biggest people who need to and can act our governments and big corporations. So that is what's driven me and maybe that will drive me more in the coming years to
Speaker 2: there. That makes a lot of sense. And I think that's a perennial theme. There are a lot of activists also talked about right, like stop distracting us with all these, every individual can take action of course you can. But some individuals are more powerful than others. For example, when the same node, right has the podcast achieved what you set out to do?
Speaker 1: I'll be realistic, obviously can't do very much at the very least I would have hoped that it has become one source for people in Singapore to go to, to listen to things and to learn a little bit more about the issues that matter to them if they're interested in the areas of climate change and sustainability, there's always a danger of preaching to the converted, the people who already listen, the people who are already interested are interested and are taking action. So, the challenge for me has always been whether or not we can grow this beyond just the interested people like me and you, to the students, to other general listeners who can suddenly find that, yes, you know, we're talking about climate change in the general enough manner, but also specific enough that they learn a little bit more about that as to whether we've achieved that. I think so, we aren't so influential. Climate change is one of those weird issues where people, I'm talking about the general public like to say that they're interested like to say that they would like to learn more. But I think that the truth is that there's so much news out there on a day to day basis, So much news and infotainment and other distractions that I wouldn't be surprised if sometimes climate change news falls away down the list of priorities on what they read and watch and listen to, but every little step helps. And I think we've done a little bit in the right direction.
Speaker 2: These episodes have far ranging reach, especially as students or use who are starting out in this space and really don't know what to read and where to begin, right? Like you really don't find a lot of Singapore specific or regional specific content out there. And I would say that podcast like TCC does a very good job at bringing the right people to the table and here is 20 minutes of your time taking on your commute to school and get up to date. So I would say, yeah, that has been fantastic and it's something that I would recommend to peers or two juniors who are just starting out.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back after a quick break. Climate conversations has been supported by Sabina Jurong Building cities, shaping lives. Now, back to our conversation,
Speaker 2: I'm just curious, has there been an episode that you kept on the back burner for a very long time that you wish you produced
Speaker 1: well to my producers who helped me put this podcast together, Crispino and Aaron and for this scrolling, I would really have liked to have spoken to al gore, but you know, things happen and we never really got down to al gore, but it would have been great to talk to him. He's one of those characters who, it's not beyond the realms of possibility, but still very, very difficult. He obviously has a gazillion other things to do, but he is like the original voice, so to speak, who exploded climate change into the public perception right? So many years ago, it would be great to get him to talk about his own journey from those first few presentations which became a movie which became a movement, right? So I would have loved to have spoken to him and I joke with some of my younger colleagues as well that you know, why didn't they get me leo Dicaprio as well? I would have loved to have spoken with him. So yeah, those two probably would have, the top of my list
Speaker 2: will be a Moonshot guests for TCC
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you know, we are realistic singaporeans.
Speaker 2: But what is your favorite episode so far then,
Speaker 1: funnily enough to comments ago that you made made me remember. And really the favorite episode was when I spoke to to secondary school students and their teacher. And it was quite amazing because on the one hand we speak about micro actions, but at the same time the micro actions of the younger generation like them, 15, 16 year olds and you can see that they really know quite a lot, you really know that being teenagers, the actions that they take will probably be small, but they form the basis that, you know that these people when they become older and they become university students, but they become young adults, you know that they will carry on and these micro actions will become bigger and you can sense that even if they won't become activists with the capital a they will become activists with a small a and push. Right? So I really enjoyed that. I really enjoyed listening to the teacher who was explaining how she imbued them with sustainability the actions they can take as a school, making sure that these trends and issues transcended specific subjects. I mean it's not geography is not signed specifically and she was explaining that, yeah, they try and spread it out through as many formal subjects as possible. So that was really, really fun speaking to the two Syrians and there was quite a change from all the serious other podcasts that we've done. I enjoyed that really a lot. I don't know. I would have hoped that they would have told their valuable students. Hey, I was on a podcast. Go listen to me. But I don't know if that happened because, you know, I'm not sure how many 14 and 15 year olds listen to podcasts these days, but at the very least adults who listen to them should have come away with a different message as well. That hey, There are 1415 year olds out there who are interested and will be pushing all of us adults to do more and more down the line. Right.
Speaker 2: That's true. I really like that you said that because I wouldn't be surprised if they're listening to your podcast. Maybe if you guys are on Tiktok more then, you know, they will, they will learn it from.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, that's another conversation. Let's see when they become 20 year olds and can take action whether or not and how they do it and where they get their information from.
Speaker 2: So speaking about young people, right as a young person myself, I have a long way to go on this planet and there is still a long time for me to live. And this question is actually from one of your previous guests, dr Winston chao and also Christina, if I'm not wrong. So the question goes, so Jamie, do you really think we are screwed? And how much do you really have?
Speaker 1: I'm not surprised that this question came from wisdom and Christina. I mean as we sit behind our screens and as we chat, they know me and they know my view and how I've said University of Commerce, we're screwed on several occasions. Yes and no, okay. The one fundamental thing I've learned about human beings and human behavior through the years as a diplomat and where I am and you see this in daily life as well, Everyone knows that they need to do something. Whether it's about eating healthily, whether it's about doing the real hygiene factors in life, but nothing really wakes people up to do it unless there's a real catastrophe. And there's a real major sort of event that sort of wakes people up to say, my God, this is the time to do it. And in the areas of climate change, the truth is that we do need, it would appear these natural disasters that sort of wake people up to the fact that this is happening. It is a weird thing to say. You know, sometimes you do need it and I'm not sure whether we've gotten there yet. I'm not sure whether the small wildfires floods all these things in Australia, all over the world they're happening, but I'm not sure whether in and of themselves they have been enough to galvanize reel global action. I feel bad saying it this way, but I think that that is the truth, yes, all the steps that we've taken so far, especially for example from the paris agreement and most recently in Glasgow, all these unnecessary and the bare minimum and sometimes even exceeding the bare minimum. But I think that there is still a lot to go to build on these bare minimums, but I think at some stage that there really needs to be another wake up call, I'm glad that a lot of Corporates have already come up and I'm glad that Net zero has become everyday vocabulary already, that is necessary. There is sort of one steady upward trajectory, but I fear we do need another jump in the trajectory. Another quantum leap, for lack of a better analogy, whether or not that comes from a significant disaster, who knows, I would hope not, but it may have to come to that. Covid was meant to be one for us to take, stop as a people, as a world as to how we live sustainably as to what global health pandemics mean as to what supply chains mean. But there is again another part of marriage fears that we may have lost the main messages as we start to recover. But we shall see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, two years on we're still here unsure whether much progress. I mean there's a lot of talk on sustainability now but how much action is still questionable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean one of the catchphrases that we spoke about and we heard so much in the first year of the pandemic, especially in 2020. Right, was this thing about the green recovery green growth and pardon me. But I think it has fallen off the radar screen a little bit because the growth and the recovery has already happened and it has become quite a normal recovery, so to speak. So I think it needs to come back. We do need to look back and see how we recovered. Has the recovery been even more unequal has a recovery led to even more consumption? Has the recovery been slightly unsustainable in certain ways? Of course, what's happening in Ukraine doesn't help at all? But what do you do? So there's always one distraction or the other away from climate change and sustainability? Hopefully we'll get back on track sooner rather than later for that quantum leap. I think
Speaker 2: it's hard, right? Especially when this is climate change is a slow burn of sorts. You're not going to be seeing a massive typhoon, you're not going to be seeing mass destruction before people change. Everything seems very big. So to me it's also like how big does something have to get to wake you all up? Right. And with that note, like you said, I keep hearing green recovery, Green girls, green economy green jobs at some point it gets very tiring, I'm sure is there a sustainability topic of phrase that you wish people stop harping about the sustainability pet peeve if you will?
Speaker 1: Well, I wouldn't call it a pet peeve, but I would call it a warning about this thing called E. S. G. It is a corporate phrase. It is a reality that everyone is jumping on board for good and slightly unclear. Yes, it is a fundamental thing that needs to be done. Corporations all around the world do need to look at what they're doing on the E. S. G. Front, you do get expertise coming up and advising them what to do on E. S. G. But I think there will again come a reckoning when people start analyzing whether and how these are for reel and how much of this is accountable, how much of this is greenwashing, how much of this can be measured? There's been a lot of good steps so far, but I think the hard work really hasn't started yet. It has started for some of the companies who are on the front foot on that and we're all happy to see that. But I'm sure that there are others who are perhaps dealing with it a bit more transactional E than its desired, I would suggest. And I would think in my humble view is that people should start taking this time, not just to start on E. S. G. Not just to hire an E. S. G. Person, not just to hire an E. S. G. Consultant, but to think about really what the prognosis is for the next 5 to 10 years and E. S. G cannot just be a communications issue. It has to be about a fundamental way of how you shape your business. How do you view stakeholder returns? Are you still beholden to your shareholders? Is it always going to be still business as usual in terms of your shareholders? And the shareholders understand that sometimes E. S. G. Can add value, but sometimes it may harm your core business too. And it's one of those conversations that I think again, it's happening at different degrees and different levels. But I think the sooner that everyone starts on this obviously the better and better they do it themselves than to have young people like you and other 10 15 year old students one day growing up and saying, hey, by the way this company said this five years ago, let's go back and check right and see whether there's any meat to it and then realize that there's none much work ahead on E. S. G. So that's something which I think can be done much better in the coming years.
Speaker 2: I totally agree. I was just at raffles place the other day and walking out of the MRT alone, it was like E. S. G. Values from bank one here, sustainable investing or bank to hear some environmental efforts of corporate company one, and I'm just like, wow, everyone is talking about it, but what's really happening and is it just trendier than it's supposed to be like, are people talking more than they're acting? So I totally agree with you on that and it's been really a pleasure listening to the TCC and learning a lot from the people that you've managed to bring onboard and to share their wisdom and your wisdom. It's very clear that this is an issue that is dear to your heart and it's something that you're very familiar with and I think we all benefit from that passion, the work that the entire team has put in. So my last question to you now is what advice do you have to any young person listening to this? Either dreaming about the future and sustainability or maybe a small hopeful that is trying to be like, okay, you know, what's next, what do I have to look out for, what you have to say
Speaker 1: for a young person who is really interested in this and who really wants to do something about it? I would suggest two things. One really know where the levers of power and influence lie in whatever society are in whether Singapore or any other country you need to know who are the people who will power who influences them and how you can influence them. So therefore know how your N. G. O. S. Work nowhere the N. G. O. S. Sit in the universe of influence in the country, know how the government's work, know who influences the government and then know how you can influence them. Work with your Mp. Work with the N. G. O. S. Be active on that front. Be aware on that front as well. It's more complicated than you think. I would advise young people that you know, it's not so simple. Everyone exists in their own sort of cultural, political, cultural context. What may work in one country won't necessarily work in another country, what works in one society won't work in another society. So again, you have to be very acute, fully aware of that and work with that context that you have. So that's one. The other thing I would say is that, you know, fundamentally younger people will become older people and you must realize that at the end of the day nothing talks louder than money. Money talks how you spend, who you spend it on, how much less you spend, right? How much less you consume, You may consume this instead of that the power of your own actions to consume more powerful than you think and don't be shy about that young people, therefore also need to come to grips with their own consuming habits and to know that if they're going to consume less, it has implications all around, not just on the climate and sustainability and on businesses as well, all actions have consequences, and so long as they do it with open eyes and know that they are doing this for themselves and another future generations and I think we're all the better for it,
Speaker 2: thank you for that. And with that, I think, you know, as a young person, what I take away from from all of this, like I really like what you said about knowing who's in power and knowing the power dynamics because as much as we want to take little action without taking strategic action, we also get burnt out. We get this illusion very quickly because you forget why something is not working or how does something work. I thought that that was a very good wake up call, at least for me to think about what does it look like in my society, what does that dynamic look like and how do we charge forward? Thank you so much for joining me on your podcast and I really wish you all the best.
Speaker 1: Thank you. Thank you so much. Thank you continue to stay up to date on CNN's coverage of climate change on sienna dot asia. It's all on the orange tab. You can also find this another podcast on our website and on Itunes and Spotify. Big thank you to the team that has produced the climate conversations, Christina, robert and Aaron Low and to you, Thank you for listening to this and all our past podcasts.