Speaker 1: Hi guys and welcome back to the Building Financial Fitness Podcast today. I have a very old friend, not, you're not old, a dear friend that goes back more than a decade and somebody who's been on both sides of the table as an entrepreneur, as an investor. Our topic today is maybe a controversial one, which is the five reasons not to be an entrepreneur. I wanted to have you on to talk about this. Firstly, because you've been on both sides of the table. So you've seen it really from both perspectives and you've been involved in both in a very deep and involved way. But I guess before we get into that, it is important to have context. So tell us a little bit more about yourself, your history from the years of Zim in the early stages of, you know, Singapore start up scene till now.
Speaker 2: I'll probably get abridged version. My name is Julian co run a very, very small boutique VC firm called Star Storm Benches. We primarily focus on a isa it, I mean TMT as well specifically in the C see to pre series A stages, right? So we have a couple of investments done so far, how we try to differentiate ourselves is really to provide support for investing companies, right, to really, you know, provide more credible support for them, to help them skill and help them grow a little bit of history myself. Wasn't really a VC as per se though I spent about close to 10 plus years as a VC, I first started out in the stop seen with a father co-founders of mine, we founded this company called Zim, which was probably Singapore's first s a company. We did a live chat software basically, you know, like when you click the chat on, on a website that was pretty much us is
Speaker 1: that speech bubble on the bottom, right? That people are now very familiar with,
Speaker 2: correct? And again, just to give you some context, this was in 2007, I think some of your viewers may not even be born yet. So maybe their Children. So it was like uh yeah, 2007, 2008, we did it for about 67 years. Uh We became a leader in our space specifically for the small medium enterprises was a joy helping small medium enterprises talk to their clients. And then we never really raised funding. We had small funding from CS capital, but that's about it. And n us who gave us a small check, we did try to raise funds but not for the lack of trying, right? So then I realized that there's this entire class of financiers that was, you know, starting to start up in Singapore. We were starting to get investments, you know, probably also through our exit. In 2014, we sold to Zendesk and then we had a few other exits before us. And that kind of led to this whole explosion of start ups. Right. Finally, you know, we could see that it is possible. Yes. So I joined a very small CH BC firm called red dot Ventures, had a lot of fun. They create a lot of fun there, helping founders. And then I took a sabbatical, I would say kind of like a social enterprise start up focusing on medical care for about two years. And after that's done, uh I joined Vertex Ventures, the one that Joseph schooling joined has just joined recently, uh good for him. I'm actually rooting for him. I did that for about four last year. And then COVID happened and, you know, I started doing a little bit more of my own investments and I could also help start ups, right? So I had a couple of A I start ups. This is back in 2020 before chat G BT came about. And then I've been doing that since essentially,
Speaker 1: basically you've been an operator as well as an investor. And that's why I said that you have been on both sides of the table. And I think, you know, very well, the pains of entrepreneurship right through your own journey. And also through many of our peers, people that we know who are friends, as well as people who are building businesses, had the benefit of history. Being able to look back to see how their journeys have evolved. Some of these can be decade long endeavors as you as you know, and I wanted to talk about this because, you know, if 2024 we are seeing obviously a lot of layoffs, job market is difficult. And even with venture builders, we are seeing a very high percentage of people who are are thinking about being entrepreneurs or trying to use this spare time to see how they can build their own businesses, kind of to pursue their entrepreneurship dreams that might have been put on the side when they had a high paying job at a fan company or man, if you call it now. And I wanted to get your perspective on the other side because there are so many podcasts and content telling you to pursue your dream and to do your own business and be your own boss. And I wanted to just flip it and ask somebody who has been in the trenches, like what are the five reasons not to be an entrepreneur? I think
Speaker 2: I mentioned this to you personally before. If you ever Google, my name on Tech in Asia, I actually hardly write articles for Tia A until there was a single time I felt very compelled to write and it's an article about the loved ones, right? Because, you know, when usually when we have an exit, right? People usually don't look, they only look at the founder, they don't look at his or her family support behind it, the significant other, right? Who actually, in my honest opinion has to pay the high this price as they go on to pursue their start up dreams because it's really hard to see your loved ones suffer as they grind through the trenches. It is rather personal for me when I have friends coming up to me and say, hey Julian, I just quit. I just got my severance package. I want to do a start up, right? So usually I ask them to think twice, twice and very importantly, especially if they have a family or a significant other that they are planning to have a family with, to discuss it with them because it's very important to plan it out. The way I would illustrate, going and doing a start up is like you're going into a desert, right? And a lot of it, it's very hard, right? You have to really grind through the desert. You need to prepare as you go into the desert. Financial in a sense. How do you prepare yourself financially? How do you prepare yourself emotionally? How do you even prepare yourself spiritually? Because it would be probably the hardest thing you ever do in your life. And, um, if you look at the success rate of start ups, it is less than 0.1 or 0.2%. That's pretty much the rate across the board and all the more so. In Singapore, Singapore. Yeah, it's, you know, we have a lot of people trying to chase, you know, whatever it is hard. But I always ask them, are you convicted with that idea that you want to solve? Because it needs to be something more than just like I have a great idea. I have, I can reach PM fa product market fit and I can raise capital for this. You need to be really convinced of the idea of the problem that you're trying to solve and that you can solve this. Peter Tiel six is best, right? 10 times better than anyone else, right? Because just like in any fact of life, parental principles happens, right? And so the 20% of uh of people usually get 80% of all the resources, right? So you need to really compete at a world class level even even if it's, you know, you're basing out of Singapore because the market is so small, you need to find a way to actually compete better than the rest of your peers in that same space. It's best if there is isn't that much competition, but it's just a niche market, right? And then you can grow out of it. But still right. You need to be able to spend that kind of effort. We saw mind share and thinking in order to conquer that market. So that's a herculean effort. It's not something that everyone can do or majority of people can do in that sense. You're
Speaker 1: right yesterday. Actually, I gave a short speech, I guess, addressing a group of social entrepreneurs, I guess the ethos of the university was a dream there and do. But I kind of wanted to make a point that it's actually very easy to dream, everyone dreams. But is that daring, hard than the daring to do and actually continue to do the work when it gets difficult? That's the part that's extra challenging. And it underlines what, you know, the first two things that you talked about, which is first, you know, thinking about family and financial responsibility because when it comes to an entrepreneurship journey, you are looking at salaries at a fraction of, of what you used to earn. Possibly you are looking at sometimes the livelihoods of the people that you employ and that, that is a heavy burden because the people that they employ, they have their own families when they don't perform, you need to fire them. That that's even more painful because you know, that you're not just affecting one person, but you're affecting someone who's supporting their wives or their Children. And that's not an easy decision to take. Um The second thing is conviction that you really need to have that conviction of problem that you are looking to solve. And I will add that part you said about how are you able to do 10 X better? These are the things that people need to consider and these are very practical things that yeah, you know, when you actually get into the challenge of it, it's very easy to lose that dream or that conviction, especially
Speaker 2: if you have a family, one of the unspoken parts of being an investor, you know, helping my guys and females. There's one or two of them and I never knew this right until I actually experienced this was, I have to be a relationship counselor.
Speaker 1: Like all kinds of relationships.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Like
Speaker 2: parental or marital, mostly marital, right? But like all girlfriends, right? When the question comes up too, should we apply for H DB flat? You know. Oh my God. You know, CPF is so it's so empty, right? And in the age of social media, when you go on Instagram and you start saying, oh, you know, my friends are having holidays in Japan, you know, they're going, you know, to really exotic places, you know, why are you grinding away at your start up instead of like bringing me on a holiday? Right? Resentment creeps in and it is a poison, right? So sometimes you have to really step in and like have a beer or two that would like, you know, so which is why I stress so importantly if you have a family or if you are planning to have a family and you know, to have that very deep discussion, both of you guys have to be on board in order to make this work preferably you have. It is not just about, oh, you know, my partner is on understanding, but you know, understanding has its limits. Patience also has its limits, right? Usually it's a sh but she or he needs to know what's the payout, what's the expected risk to reward payout, you know, for her to actually take this risk with you. There's a conversation most people don't talk about, right? They just say, oh, I want to support my boyfriend. I want to support my husband because he or she is doing this thing must to pursue this dream. But it takes two to really, really like push it forward.
Speaker 1: I think that's an important point you raised. And I want to add to that the concept of timelines because what you said of, yes, I will support you regardless that could erode over time and in a very real way because sometimes entrepreneurs can get on to that journey. Maybe they are newly married and there's a lot of enthusiasm and then the first gate comes and then it's like, ok, we can solder through this. But the entrepreneurship journey, the average time it takes from start to exit,
Speaker 2: if there is an exit
Speaker 1: there is usually, I think 8 to 9 years, it could be, it's up to a decade. Sometimes it's more than a decade for some people
Speaker 2: and data. I have not really took everything up but do data. You're right. It's about 67 to 10 years.
Speaker 1: And this is a grind really. And sometimes you're looking at your child kind of get to from 6 to 16 and their educational needs and the financial needs would be vastly different. And often times in such a setup, you usually would have the other spouse who maybe works full time job, a corporate job and actually supporting. And then there comes that dynamics of maybe the wife earning more than the husband. If you're saying, usually the other side is a she and they need to be OK with it for 10 years and you add on to that the fatigue of and the chaos, the chaos of a start up, the fatigue of doing it. Sometimes the formal of seeing your peers like rise through the ranks in corporations when at the age that is in your thirties, forties. When people are kind of like getting to like the VPN beyond partner levels in organizations. It's not easy,
Speaker 2: you know, and it's really hard like I had a female ceo I shan't name because to protect her identity, she just gave birth about four months ago, 45 months ago. And she literally have to leave her baby after giving birth in another location just so that she could grind it up. Her mother in law and her mom, parents are actually taking care of the baby while she goes and fight fire. Very large
Speaker 1: sacrifices, especially for her. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And she just gave birth. Right. And this is the level of commitment that she has, you know, to her investors and to her, her comrades. Basically, it's easy for a guy to do that. Right? I mean, I, I would say easy. I mean, it's almost impossible. Your wife would resent you for sure. But for mother who just gave birth, right? For her to like center herself and to steel herself into doing this, it takes a lot of sacrifice. Um
Speaker 1: Given that you have the benefit of being able to follow many people's journeys. Yes. And actually knowing them personally, what do you think are times when it's actually not worth it because we are kind of like tackling the thing of, you know, what's the big reason not to be an entrepreneur? The reality of it?
Speaker 2: I guess it's not so much of the ones that, yeah, usually go along the ride with. They are all very super convicted people. Far more convicted than even I am. And it's a joy to actually support them even when they fail. Right? Especially when they fail. I'm usually the guy that like some of them will call when they get into some trouble like pr issue. I have to go in and, you know, kind of like fix it or they get hacked, got to bring a cybersecurity audit team to actually go in and help them. The ones that don't, I would say the folks who want to do a start because it's cool. It was, you know, because, you know, it's something that is popular, right? Because of the prestige, right? Uh, and then you start seeing them rather than seeing them, you know, spend time with the customers, they spend time on pr you know, they get on list and they get on awards or, you know, I shan't comment on that. I shall not comment on that. But, but yeah, if, if you know what I mean, whereby the fame of being an entrepreneur is what drew them, right? And you can tell when you talk to some of the guys uh especially the younger generations that come on because they have been so inundated with uh even I myself, right? I, I still remember the day I wanted to be an entrepreneur. It's still very vivid to me. I was reading a Newsweek article. Yes. You know, this for the Gen Z and the J of our kids that are still listening, there was Newsweek, there was this magazine called Newsweek. And magazines are pieces of paper that you read. You actually read, you know, in physical form when I was JC one. Yeah, I was just flipping through and the thing about Newsweek was, it's almost always about us or other parts of the world, right. They never actually usually write about anything remotely Singapore. And even if it's Singaporean, it's usually on old Mr Lee. Right. God bless his soul. Basically, I was going through this like top 10 entrepreneurs in Silicon Valley and then I chanced upon this gentleman called Mr Mr Pink. All right. So Mr Ong, sorry Ping Sing, right? And he was building this start up right off match. And I was like, oh my God, this is possible, right? And I saw that this was possible that what Mr Ong did was possible. And that's actually how it sparked me to actually, I think that it could be done to look at Silicon Valley as the, you know, the Mecca, right? For start up, right? But a lot of kids nowadays when I talk to them, it's always like the bravado and I've talked to some of my female younger friends, you know, who go on like bumble or tinder, right? There's always when you swipe right. There's always uh some entrepreneur guy is there a preference for or don't I think there's a preference but you know, it it's now popular to write entrepreneur in your Tinder or your bumper right back when me and my guys, we were doing a start up, right? It was almost oh my God. Yeah, I have friends who came to me and this is when I was still single. They specifically told their female friends not to date me because I was an entrepreneur. They specifically say, oh, this guy you shouldn't date, he's an entrepreneur. He has no future until of course of an exit. And of course, there's a whole different thing altogether. But it was, you know, I think being a musician was, had more, more appeal than being an entrepreneur, a tech entrepreneur for the times
Speaker 1: have changed on that front, which is why I think it's even more important to know the reasons why not to be an entrepreneur because it's hard, it's easy to be a wanna be entrepreneur. I think when it comes down to the grind and actually putting in the work, especially when the team gets bigger and you start to hire people and then you're responsible for the livelihoods of others. That's when there's a whole bunch of responsibility. Spiderman quote.
Speaker 2: Yes. Really the grind and you really got to work way more hours a week. I know that you, you're supposed to have work life balance. But a lot of times circumstances, you know, because you're not just talking about your own equity success, you have eo on the table, you have commitments to employees. So the people who supported you in the beginning, right? It's a lot more
Speaker 1: than that. Thanks Julian for the very real take on entrepreneurship. I know a few listeners will appreciate it because this might be an episode that they will forward to their very enterprising spouse. Been grinding at it. Don't
Speaker 2: start arguments. Please don't come.
Speaker 1: No, I think it's important to have these conversations from the other side. Right. That doesn't glamorize entrepreneurship and comes from a place where you've had the journey yourself, you know, peers who have been through the journey themselves. So as much as we can look at the nice and shiny parts of being an entrepreneur where sometimes I guess in these days could be an advantage to your dating profile. I am not sure about that honestly, but you know, it's important to know the other side and thank you for sharing that.
Speaker 2: Yes, there's a lot of um I would say it's not just entrepreneurs but also venture capital in the sense, right? A lot of the associates I seen, you know that they will join the firms. They also have a way of thinking like they know better. Um This comes from a place of love. I'm not trying to go on some moral high horse, right per se. But you know, really to try to understand the challenges of an entrepreneur because a lot of times when we see companies bulk of the times, we will say no to them, 99% of the time we will say no to them. But when we say no see be compassion because you need to understand the challenges that he or she is going through. At that point. It is so important to actually keep the conversation going. Even if you don't think that they are a right fit for your investment thesis. Your boss doesn't like them. That's usually the case. But really try and be compassionate about it and know that if you were in their shoes, think of how you would feel.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Which is why I always really appreciate V CS who have been operators or start up founders themselves because the level of empathy is you actually cannot get there until you've walked the journey of being a founder. Correct? I I feel that it's impossible. And having been, you know, an associate or like being in a venture capital, a few VC funds myself, I didn't have this level of empathy to now. Correct? And I'm just starting right? Because
Speaker 2: you're going through the same journey and you see the challenges, right? And you see the bills holding out, right? And then you see your investors calling. Yeah, that's uh it's a rather stressful thing. Actually, I tell people, entrepreneurship is really hard. But the caveat I tell people is that it will be the biggest growth period of your life. Hm, because most times you have to figure out how to do this and now we charge GP T is actually a lot easier, but you will need to think about what you want to achieve, right? And then as you plan to do this, you learn a lot, I never knew how to do I would say pro engineering or stable diffusion or any one of those like a I until I actually had to learn how to help my founders. And so you as a founder, if you go and explore this, it will be the biggest growth period of your life.
Speaker 1: I agree. So don't let this podcast to you of entrepreneurship because there is a lot of learning to be gained. But do it with the right conviction uh go into it prepared knowing that your decisions will actually affect those around you that you love know that it is difficult and you know, it shouldn't be done lightly for the glamour of entrepreneurship
Speaker 2: and prepare yourself financially. Always buy insurance, always save up like some money for insurance for at least the next couple of years because you never know what kind of medical conditions like I I don't have an insure tech company. So I don't have any financial benefit from saying this but essentially insure yourself properly. Make sure that your insurance are are right after savings, buy some shares, you know, or buy when I mean shares. I mean like Blue Chip, right? Just to make sure that you know, your asset is growing. So and then you know, and have kind of like a little bit of a savings ne and things how you're going to expand that before you go in. So have a financial planner, right? Go talk to a proper financial planner not someone that sells, you know, many products, like someone who can actually help you plan for the next 2 to 3 years, how your financials are going to be like? Right. So at least you have some sort of order, right, in terms of like how you're going to plan yourself in the next 2 to 3 years.
Speaker 1: That's a very good advice, very practical advice.
Speaker 2: Yes, a lot of them don't do this until then they realize because they, you know, they do paycheck by paycheck, you know, so they have a cut off date. Also in terms of like, are you going to hit product market fit? The thing about product market fit is also even if you hit product market fit, it changes. Yeah, it's a liquid form, right? It's not static. You need to constantly fight to have product market fit. That's a very, very important aspect, you know, as you try and build your start.
Speaker 1: Thanks Julian for coming today for audiences who want to find out more about you or connect with you, where can they find you
Speaker 2: linkedin? Just go linkedin. Look for stars and or look for
Speaker 1: me. I'll link it in the
Speaker 2: Yeah, just say hi and I'm happy to have a connection.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much Julian for being on.
Speaker 2: Thank you
Speaker 1: many thanks as well to all of you out there for tuning in. This has been a fantastic conversation and we would definitely love to hear what you think about it. If you would like to get in touch with us, you can reach out to us through the email podcast at me, listen dot SG or at my Instagram at Miss Fit P. Aside from that, if you enjoy what you're listening to and want to hear more, please help to spread and grow the show by subscribing on me, listen or Apple podcast or by following on Spotify or wherever you listen to your podcasts. Finally, the Building Financial Fitness podcast is an original production from media Corp and recorded at Scape Life Studios. The pod powered by audio technica and city music episode production is done by Juna Yu with editing and support by Danny Cordy and Gareth Fernandez. Once again, I'm your host and BFF Junis. You until the next time.